Speaker 1: I do like to do the interest.
Speaker 2: Lan and gentlemen, Welcome to another episode of the Bustle with the Boy Spring to whur we are with Coach to day at the Ohio State University. Pains me to say that, but before we go into we when you talk about Chevrolet, deval A is trust a trusted company that has been innovating for the past one hundred years. Up till now, most electric vehicles have been either too expensive, too small, or too limited in capabilities for most people. Beval A is committed to making EV's available for all Americans. There's a growing network of public charging stations there are There are over nineteen hundred certified Chevy EV dealerships. Chevy is a convenient way to research and shop EV's online.
Speaker 1: EV's for everyone everywhere.
Speaker 2: I saw when I started to mess up a little bit and kind of looked up at me, and that gave me some scaries.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you know, the boy doesn't read well honestly.
Speaker 3: Like I was reading something and I kind of just did my whole pan off to the side and think about something.
Speaker 1: I didn't even hear what they And that's crazy that it goes.
Speaker 2: Back to like maybe the guys aren't always on me, you know, maybe maybe other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's like, yeah, well, hey we're here. We finally did it. Coach to Day, thank you for joining us. Look, I'm sitting in between these guys for a couple of different reasons. One, Taar likes to sit on the outside. I do like two, we got a Michigan boy in an Ohao Staate boy over here. I feel like there might be a fun question, There might be something that you want to ask. Because of fact, we have to kick this thing off with some sense of the rivalry that happens.
Speaker 2: At takes place. Yeah, I got a couple questions for sure. I think one of the first questions I'll go with is do you feel happy that the University of Michigan has won the last two? And the reason why I asked that is because the rhetorical question is not rhetorical. We we Michigan. When I was at Michigan, we barely won once, and you guys are dominated the tens. You guys dominated us in the two thousands, and it's kind of nice to get the rivalry back where it's going. So I'm kind of leading you into a possibility of giving Michigan some flowers here? Are you happy that Michigan's won the last two games?
Speaker 4: I mean, I know you're coming out with that question. I could see you coming on the sideboard with that. Know this this is this is year seven for me, and this is you know, we played in that game five times and you know, lost the last two and it hurts, I mean, quite honestly, you know. I mean, you know how much it means to so many people, you know, in both states, and so you know, when I first had my first press conference, the first thing I said was that, you know, you got to win that game. That's the number one thing, most important thing. When you don't do that, it hurts. It hurts for three undred sixty five days, and so so it has for the last two years, you know. And so yeah, I mean it's something that we think about every single day. But but that's what that's what makes the rivalry great, you know, and certainly you know when you played the rivalries back and forth as well, So it's something we think about all the time.
Speaker 2: The rivalry is bigger than ever now because Michigan finally has a couple of w's in the column. You needed that otherwise it was truly turning into a game.
Speaker 1: It's like that. But yeah, we didn't need that. But you know, you guys didn't need that, but we we definitely didn't need that.
Speaker 3: Like it stinks being on the wrong side of it, Like as a fan of the game, it stinks being on the wrong side of it.
Speaker 1: But there is like a yo, the game is like the game.
Speaker 2: It's the game again a little bit, and I know it's like, oh yeah, I'm excited that the game is back.
Speaker 1: But obviously you want to come if the.
Speaker 2: Rules were reversed to like let's say Michigan was dominating for that long, you guys won the last two.
Speaker 1: Obviously, as a former player, I'd be upset.
Speaker 2: But I've I've been out of it for so long that I've zoomed out and been able to be like, okay, that is thank god we got a rivalry again. I mean, that is the kind of maybe a good approach for Ohio State, because like, you guys have dominated for so long to kind of be like, well, let's give them some flowers here.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's the first thing that when you come here as a recruit and you walk right in here and you go look at the rivalry video. You know, it's it's one of the first things you have to do when you're a coach chair is understand the rivalry, you know, and what it means, and so yeah, I mean it's it's everything, and it's going goes back a long time, right, and you think about all the different games and all the different coaches and teams that have come come through, and it means so much. And that's why you know, when you go through the hallways here, you see all the different teams and one of the first things you asked is what was your record in the game?
Speaker 2: This facilities, by the way, are incredible. Yeah, they're really nice, really incredible.
Speaker 3: Asking about that game because you guys are a hell of a team year and a year out and when you have it be that close at halftime and then the second half goes the way it does. What's the messaging after that game when you reflect back on it, like you, what were some things I'm sure you've probably already talked about in press conferenstions, but also in the same question, what is your message to get them boys ready for Georgia? Because you guys, even you busted your ass that game too. Obviously didn't come out of the way you wanted it. But still for them guys that come out and perform the way they did after you take a loss to Michigan and stuff like that, I just think it also speaks to like getting their head back right and everything else.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it made it just a range of emotions. You know, we think about the way that weekend went down, and then that week following and then we you know, get selected for the CFP and all of a sudden, you know this life again, life in the facility, and then we just went about the business of getting after it all the way to the bowl game. I think we went it was like fifteen hundred snaps during bowl practice. I mean, we got after it. Bowl practice was really it was violent. It just and we prepared to play in that game. And I think when you think about those two games in particular, you could probably grab out in those two games alone, ten plays that cost us both of those games. And like you said, you know, you look at at the game, you look at you know, the scoreboard different times of the game, and you can just look at like, you know, really five plays in each game that cost you. So one of the things we've been talking about during our offseason or eight weeks leading up to spring practice now we're into the third week of spring practice. Is you just don't know when that play is gonna come into play. And as you guys know, you played the game. You could play seventy great snaps, but you know if five of those don't go your way, it can cost you the game. And that's when you're playing matchup games. That's what happens. And we got to own that. And so you don't know when that play is gonna come. You don't know when that day's gonna come. So we need to be consistent in our offseason. We need to be be there every day and just find those plays on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: And as we go into spring practice.
Speaker 2: It's the same way when you're sitting at five, you're watching the BEY ten championship, all the championship games happen, you see USC lose, you're probably thinking, Okay, we're going to make it in this college football playoff. When before that time and when you guys officially made it in knowing you're going to be the four seed or guy just went to the three seed, right, how.
Speaker 1: Did it work? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So we were the four You guys were the four y So we played Georgia. Was there a was there a part of you that wanted Michigan again right away? Or would have been better to see a national champe Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I remember that day, uh well, leading that week leading up to it, it was I think it was around Tuesday we got together, uh, and you know, by the time Wednesday came, it was like, all right, we got to stop feeling sorry for ourselves. We've got to move on because those those couple of days were awful, uh, following the game, and so we brought everybody in and we said, guys, uh, you know, we have to believe that, you know, there's gonna be something that happens over the weekend that allows us an opportunity to play in the CFPN. So we can't let this week just go by. So you know, I said to the guys, somebody's gonna lose here and we're going to be in. So we have to be ready when that happened. So we went about practicing on Wednesday and Thursday leading up to that weekend, and then when it happened, there was just a lot of life injected into the whole facility, and we really didn't care. We just want an opportunity to play because you know, like I said, we're on life support there for a week and we just wanted life again.
Speaker 1: We want an opportunity to play because we.
Speaker 4: Always last year we felt like we could play with anybody in the country and beat anybody in the country. And you know, it didn't work out that way, but but that's kind of how it all went down.
Speaker 2: You guys definitely are that team with a level of prestige and you've gotten to the point where it's truly a factory, especially in the skill position category. You guys, as wide receivers, it seems like every year you have like a sophomore that's like the best wide receiver in the country, and it just keeps getting better and better. Like from a recruiting standpoint, how do you keep that consistency going at a place like this, Like, I mean, there's a whole bunch, like the college football landscape is changing and keep rooms together. You got guys much with all the transfer portal, Yeah, it is. It's a it's a wild deal because it's hard to recruit when recruiting is national. Now it's not like people are just recruiting regions. The only people that still recruit regionally is Texas, you know, because they got there in the state of Texas. But like you have to recruit against everybody, you have to recruit against tools like that are in nice tropical areas and it's year round a year round for somebody here and there here, How do you keep that consistency, consistency level going.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a lot that goes into that. I think when you look at Ohio State, half a million alumni and just the power of the brand of Ohio State, we're able to recruit nationally, and so our first priority is the state of Ohio and the Midwest, you know, but when you look at our roster, we have guys, like you said, from from Hawaii, California, Seattle, Texas, Florida, throughout the country. You know, there's there's Buck guys everywhere throughout the United States. So we're able to have an impact throughout the country. So that's that's good. Our foundation is here in Ohio and that's always going to be that way. But we want to go recruit guys who want to be elite. So although there's people from all different parts of the country with different different backgrounds. We want people who think big here at Ohio State. So like you said, you know, a loaded wide receiver room, a loaded D line room, offensive line room.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you know when teams recruit against us as well, they have a loaded room. You know, why would you go there? You can come over here and play. Well, we're recruiting you because we think you can play. And if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. And I think that's gonna be the mentality and it has been because you know, guys come here and they want to compete every day. And when you're going against really good players every day, that's how you get better. So like, for instance, one of our defensive ends who's here now, Kenyatta Jackson. He was on a scale team last year. He's from South Florida shan Manhamadana High School. Every day in practice he went up against Paris Johnson and when they got done after practice, they'd sit over on the bench and they talk about what going on that day, and Paris kind of put him under his wing and talk to him about that. I'm willing to bet that when Kenyat is all said and done, and he moves on. He's gonna do the same thing for somebody else because he was going against a really good player every day in practice.
Speaker 1: And that's the idea, is that you know JT.
Speaker 4: T was going against the Dewan Jones last year, and you know it's not just the twelve regular season games, it's every day in practice. You're getting better and that's a big part of our development.
Speaker 3: I want to talk a you for a second and ask kind of about your philosophies or things you've picked up along the way, because you you grew up in New Hampshire, which is barely I don't even know if it's a state anymore in the United States. You went to school there as well. You went to New Hampshire there as well, and hey, obviously some flowers here. Coach was a GATORAY Player of the Year senior year. But there's been a lot of adversity along the way. You had mentioned your father passed away when you were nine years old. You go on and you play college ball with Chip Kelly. You're a GATORAY Player of the Year. You cut your teeth in the game as a GA for three years. If I'm not mistaken, which we've been around, we've seen the GA life, Like, that's not an easy life. You're putting about fifteen years worth of work before you become a head coach. What are some philosophies that you've picked up along the way that's kind of molded you. And maybe there's a coach or somebody that could be listening that might not have known that they influenced you in such a way, but kind of talk about your philosophies and kind of overcoming a lot of those adversities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think the first thing is like adversity, you know, our tests along the way and you can do one of three things that can either crumble you, you can get through it, or it can make you stronger. And adversity's coming somewhere along the way. And you know, we just had to someone speak to the team the other day and I thought it was really really good what he said. He said that, you know, finding balance in your life is building high ground.
Speaker 1: For hard times, and that's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool because and the way you do that is by investing your faith, family and friends, and so adversity makes you stronger if you allow it to. And so we're all going to face adversity along the way. And I think for me, you know, if I didn't lose my father at a young age, I don't know if i'd be in the position I'm in right now, because you know, it just had that, you know, Chip on my shoulder growing up and wanted to prove a lot of people wrong. I prove a lot of people right. And I had a lot of great mentors along the way. And I think that's a big part of this profession is that you don't really go to school to become a college football coach.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: When I got recruited, you know, Chip Kelly and I sat down and he said, what do you want to do after you're playing? And I studied business administration, but I told him I wanted to coach, and he said, oh, I got you, and he did. You know, I coach with him in the NFL. I coach with him in college, and you know the same thing with erb Meyer. He you know, he took me along the way and certainly gave men unbelievable opportunity here at Ohio State. I think a big part of this profession is apprenticeship. But there's a lot of sacrifice that goes along the way. And when you grow up in New Hampshire, like you said, he all a small state, you know, you don't have the privilege of going right to the front of the line. You know, you have to move around a lot, you know, and that I did and you know my wife, you know, and I have had to move eleven times, you know, to even have an opportunity to be at a place in Ohio State. And you know, you know, a big part of that is your family, you know, and kids, being the new kid in class. And so that's one of the reasons why I fight so hard as two reasons why I won to win games here is to continue to have an impact on young people. And then two, you know, for my family, I don't want to have to move them again, because I know what that's like. And that's part of this profession, as you guys know. And it's the same way being a player.
Speaker 1: When you do. You brought up Urban Meyer in this situation.
Speaker 2: Urban's also obviously had an incredible career as a college football head coacher, and when you take over for him at Ohio State, what was your process of Like Urban Meyer is a legend, and so for you to take over for him. How did you earn the respect of these players as quickly as you did?
Speaker 4: Well, it was very difficult to, you know, following someone's footsteps like that. I remember one of the first weeks I became the head coach. Here, I walked down the hall right here, and there's pictures of Whatdy Hayes and Jim Tressel and Earl Bruce and John Cooper and Urban Meyer, and then there's a picture of me, and I'm like, what the hell is this? You know, I mean, I you know, you just like pinching yourself, you know. But I've always kind of had the mentality. And you know, a coach of mine, Dan a Bible, used to say, well why not you?
Speaker 1: Why can't it be you? That kind of has to be your mentality.
Speaker 4: But when when you're in these types of situations, you know, now you live in the moment. You just try to do the best you can in that moment. Can't worry about it's coming tomorrow, you can't worry about what happened yesterday. You just do the best you can right then in that moment, and you trust the people that are around you. And so there was a lot of infrastructure in place here, you know, and a lot of people said, you know, how are you gonna follow.
Speaker 1: Up with or Mayra?
Speaker 4: I mean seven to zero in the rivalry game, you know, won a national championship, unbelievable success. And people kept saying, you know, what if you lose, what if you do? And I always said, what if I don't? This is an unbelievble opportunity to coach at a place like Ohio State, And so just tried to be myself the best I could. You know, kept a lot of the same things that he did here, but then over time, you know, put your own spin on it and your own flavor on it. You have to be yourself even though there's a lot of things, you know, people in place, culture, core values, philosophies that we continued through.
Speaker 1: And so it's very different than if you were to start your own program.
Speaker 4: If I was to become a head coach tomorrow at another school, you start from scratch, you hire everybody from scratch. It's a different transition and something that you know, quite honestly, I had to kind of figure out on the run a little bit, and that all kind of happened fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the twenty twenty one Nebraska Cornhuskers. Are they the greatest three win team you've ever played against? Because if you remember correctly, I remind you, I think we were on a game winning drive and the refs kind of stole the game.
Speaker 1: But we were kind of set to beat you guys a couple of years ago. When two years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say it was probably the best, the best three to three team, three win team maybe that I was around in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: That was a good team. I mean on defense, I thought they were very good. That's how it's all we needed. Boys. Yeah, I mean how many how many really upset you? You answered it?
Speaker 4: But they will all the firepower in the world. We were we were a solid team. Yeah, I mean how many games they lose by by a touchdown or less? I mean the score differential throughout the entire season was zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so every every every loss that they had, all nine, they were within one score.
Speaker 1: That was a hard game. That was a hard game. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We didn't play well. We we we just played him play well later. Yeah, we didn't play in an emotional, tough game. And uh yeah that was that was you know Jackson. I remember he made a huge play he made a guy miss and scored a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that was a battle. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I Mean the thing about the Big Ten, especially when you're playing nine conference games, you know, there's no gimmes.
Speaker 1: They're hard ruckers. Marilyn Michigan State. There's a lot of good coaches. They I'm just telling you, he are there some gimmis in the I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you that there's good coaches and good programs, you know, and and I just continually see these these programs getting better and better and better. I just know maybe maybe there were a few years ago. I just don't see that as much anymore. I think there's really good coaches, and we get together on calls or we get together at some of our coaches meetings, really good minds, really good coaches. They're they're really sharp and how they handle their business. And I got a lot of respect for everybody in the conference.
Speaker 1: We've got to get the national title back to the Big Ten. It has to happen. It has to happen. We were trying to legitimately, We're trying to guys were in it.
Speaker 2: We were legit like we were going for Michigan and Ohio State in the National Championship. When Michigan lost the TCU, I was watching us hoping you would win because the SEC is getting too full of themselves.
Speaker 4: It make it makes me sick every day to think about it, you know, and just going back through you know, you think about nineteen, but this this this last game, I mean, you just go.
Speaker 1: Through other I know you guys would have beat the brakes off of TCU too.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I just you know, it's just it's one play here, one play there, but it doesn't happen. And so you know, you have to own it. And it's hard. It's hard to take, but you got to regroup and learn from it, and like you said, keep swinging. I think that the the twelve team playoff will be interesting, you know, you know, you're yeah, I think it's going to be, you know, interesting to see how that all plays out. You know, if the four first four teams get a buy second Ford home field advantage, can get a home field advantage, that's cool, playing the big thing, and you know that could be a you know, a game in December on the road. You know, so there's a lot to be determined here. Now that's that's two years away, but looking forward to see what that looks like.
Speaker 2: You. I think you were about to ask a really good question, but I forgot what that question was.
Speaker 1: I think I forgot it too, because I could see it lighting up, talked about it wasn't gonna be like a really good ones. I think it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, if Michigan beats TCU, yes that was the Did you have rooters for Michigan in the national title?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on before you elaborate before this is what you need to think about here.
Speaker 1: We need to take it.
Speaker 2: Put our swords down for a second, because if Michigan wins that game, it's not Michigan. We're thinking now Big ten conference wise, that's conference trying to like a Game of Throne situation, Like.
Speaker 1: Let's let's ally up for a second. You watch Game of Thrones or did you? I've watched them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you ally up for just a touch, make sure we get the trophy in there, and then we can all go back to our civil war within our conference. However, like the SEC is so so damn full of themselves, so like we're of balls guys, We're Bama guys.
Speaker 1: Well South Carolina. It doesn't.
Speaker 2: Everyone's fighting for their own fight down there. We need to band together as a conference and say, like, if you guys were in it, I'm rooting for a house state. I want Ohio State to win because ultimately, ultimately I want Michigan to take it from you. Right, you could somehow get around that being like you want Michigan to win the next championship if you guys weren't also in it because ultimately you want to take from Michigan.
Speaker 1: Can we agree on that?
Speaker 2: Do you want us to be the best conference in the country, That's all, That's all we're asking.
Speaker 4: I think if you say that, for sure we have to be the best conference in the country, and I do think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But can't just say you're going to live the situation I would root for Michigan. I cannot say that. I literally we need the clips bad, please God. I physically can't say, yeah, what were you going to do? Well?
Speaker 4: No, I just think that adding UCLA and USC really is is really a game changer.
Speaker 1: And so many different ways.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so much different than certainly when you played you think about like that's just not natural, right, It's not a natural rivalry. It's going to be very untraditional. But those are two very good teams, and so as you think about adding those teams and then in twenty four, you know, they haven't finalized at all yet, but but going away from the divisions and then you know, think about it. You know, we could play the rivalry game, you could play Penn State, you could play USC all in one season. That that's quite a schedule, you know, it's just very different now. And so I think we have the capability of being the best conference in America. And I think the addition of those two teams, you know, based on how things play out moving forward, and then with the twelve team playoff, getting more teams into the playoff, I think it gives us a great chance.
Speaker 2: Does adding the two California teams open up anything recruiting wise that you think about, like recruiting better in California because obviously you guys have the brand of Baho State period.
Speaker 4: You know, I think right now probably it's about the same. But I think as we start to play games out there, and you know, they start to travel out this way, I think it will. I don't think that the recruits quite yet feel that, you know, now we've played in the Rose Bowl twice in like the last five years, I guess, and so a lot of those guys are familiar with us. But the more I think they see the Big ten teams coming through the California area, I think it'll open up. But I still don't think that that's going to be like a you know, a recruiting hotbed for the Big Ten. I think it's still going to be. You know, the Midwest area will still be foundation. You know a lot of cats up here, Ohio in particular.
Speaker 2: How's Ohioania, Missouri, Missouri. You get some like diamonds in the rough in Missouri. Oh yeah, diamonds in the rough. I wouldn't say it's a hotbed for football now like Arizona.
Speaker 3: When you say hotbed and I think about it a little bit more, I can I can say that's fair.
Speaker 2: That's a big of you. That shows growth of will Compton. What do you with you guys adding UCLA and USC to the conference in twenty twenty four, Where do you see the NCAA going?
Speaker 1: Because this is what I see.
Speaker 2: I see SEC making an ultimate conference, you guys making an ultimate conference and then essentially branching away, getting away from the NCAA and becoming your own league and in return kind of becoming like, this is where you want to go if you want.
Speaker 1: To go to the NFL conferences. You know.
Speaker 4: I think that there's so many different discussions that are happening right now of things like that, you know, and it's like what's coming next?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I think as we just sit here right now, I think we we all know things are going to continue to change because of everything that's going on in America right whether it's the NIL, the transfer portal, this conference realignment. We know that if there's going to continue to be lawsuits down the road, so things are going to change.
Speaker 1: Where it goes, I really don't know.
Speaker 4: I do think that the way that college football is right now, there's nothing really you can compare to it.
Speaker 1: Right There's nothing else out there.
Speaker 4: You'll be like, Okay, yeah, follow this model because it doesn't exist. And I think if we can find a way to look more like some of the models that are out there. I mean, obviously the NFL is a model. It's different because this is collegiate, it's not the professional. But the more we can find something to grab on to say, Okay, let's let's run college football something like this, so we have more comparisons, because what happens now is there's just a lot of hard feelings between schools. There's inequities, whether it's the players you know and you know, different folks, and lawsuits about you know, all the things that go on across college sports. Where in other sports like the NFL, you know, they have rules in place, they have players associations, they have clicked the bargaining agreements, they have all these different things in place that you can look through to say, okay, there's precedence here. Right now, we're in a world where there's no precedence.
Speaker 1: It's the wild West.
Speaker 4: It's it's wild, and so that's what creates hard feelings. And I think for all of us sometimes, as you know, coaches and even our players, you're not too sure what to think. No, And I think that's probably the hardest part right now. So I think any of that stuff is possible because we don't really know what's coming next.
Speaker 2: It seems as the lines getting grayer and grayer. Because when I was when we were playing day back in our day, there was like dumb rules like you could have a bagel, but you couldn't have cream cheese, Like there was all these crazy things that the NCAA would put in, and now every other conference basically gets to do what the SEC did and that's paid players one way or another. And so you kind of just see it going over and over eventually, like we're essentially turning into a minor leagues of the NFL.
Speaker 1: Are we not there? Is them there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, I think it's a little right now because again there's yeah, there's nothing to kind of police it.
Speaker 3: Literally tomorrow if they want, like binding through binding agreement. I know, we're kind of just talking.
Speaker 2: To each other, all right, that's what the best podcasts are anyways, do you think and I step standpoint. I know there's the team itself can't be involved with that, but you guys got a pretty good ANIL situation set up. Got these guys some accountants and stuff like that for one case.
Speaker 4: Well, so, yeah, the great thing for us is the city of Columbus. There's two million people here, thirty thousand business So we're really positioned well to be able to have our guys take advantage and image like those because business right across the street. There's so many things in place here and then certainly with the fan base and people throughout Ohio and throughout the country, there's a lot of people that want to help, and so our guys are very visible, visible, and so there's a lot of opportunity for them the way that name image of likeness was designed for, you know, and I think a lot of our guys have benefited from that.
Speaker 2: When it comes to I think it's a good say way like, how do you sell guys on obviously your house it's a big brand.
Speaker 1: We'll want to lid on the store on that, that's a massive brand.
Speaker 2: How do you get guys from a California, from a Texas, from a Florida and sell them on the idea of a house state?
Speaker 4: No kind of kind of what we're talking about before. You know, A big part is you come here to win championships and you come here for development. You come here, you know, to have an opportunity to not only you know, develop as a football player, but also life after football. You have so much you know, such a such a network out there that you can tap into. That's a big part of this finding out what, you know, what else do you want to do when you're done playing football? I talk to our guys all the time about that. You guys got done playing, You're not just gonna sit on the couch and hang out. You got to figure out what's next, you know, And you probably had no idea it was gonna be be a podcast and you know, you want to get into broadcasting. Maybe you did know that, but I think we talked to our guys about is they actually have an opportunity to figure that out while they're in college where you know a lot of families. I'm sure you know you guys had family members where they had to do something on it necessity and didn't have the opportunity to think, oh, this is what I like to do. You know, obviously you guys enjoy doing this, so you get an opportunity to do it after, you know, careers in the NFL, well that's the goal. They come in with careers in the NFL, and then what do you want to do when you're done? Hopefully you can find your passion and that way you don't feel like you go into work every day. Your people in your family, people in my family, they had to go to.
Speaker 1: Work because they had to pay bills. Not a necessity.
Speaker 4: The goal was for them to be able to find their passion so that they don't really have to work a day in their life. They're finding something that they like to do. And so that combined with obviously the football platform that you have here and the ability to play for national championships. You know, when you walk in the building right here, you enjoy being in the building every day. You enjoy grinding and getting after it every day, competing, but also being part of a family and and and then also the develop developing part, you know, being able to develop and be in a environment where that that you know, there's a lot of similarities to being in Columbus to being in the NFL. Yeah, it's an NFL factory here is you know, playing in the big lights. You know the expectations. You know, our guys walk downtown. I mean they're gonna get noticed. It's you know, so you have to move a little different and you learn that at a young age.
Speaker 1: When you're hear in clumb.
Speaker 3: Mitch, you are a massive Oha State fan. You have anything before we let coach Daego. Mitch asked when his players leave, what do you want to want them to walk away with?
Speaker 1: IM? Sure you do? Well?
Speaker 4: I think the first thing you want them to walk away with is you know, a feeling that they miss it, that that they want to come back because there was a brotherhood here that you know, when you leave, you're like leaving a family. And you know, our goal is to maximize these guys and help their reach their dreams and goals. But at the same time, like love them and our arms around them help them the best they can. And so if you want them to have a great experience, know that they got challenged, they got pushed, you know, and it's our job to make them see things they can't see, do things they wouldn't do on their own, Hear things that maybe they can't I don't want to hear. But that's part of coaching, that's part of parenting, that's part of you know, mentoring. But I also know that they maximize themselves in the field, had a great experience and want to come back and give back.
Speaker 1: And be part of the program. I think it's not.
Speaker 2: In the Big Ten. There's multiple coaches in the Big Ten. If you had to fight one of those coaches, what.
Speaker 1: Coach would it be? You're got to take me down this road, and why is it? Jim Harba, would it even be? Who would he fight? And why is it Jim Harball?
Speaker 4: I don't know, uh, And I can tell you our our our culture is you know, if you say fight, you see fight all over the facility.
Speaker 1: You can see it right there. Fight.
Speaker 4: Fight to become the best version of yourself. So we're fighting every day. We're fighting against every opponent.
Speaker 2: You take Matt rule, work with Matt Hey, he could take Matt roll Oh Temple at Temple.
Speaker 4: Temple the first year in two thousand and five, it was Al Golden's first year there.
Speaker 1: We won one game.
Speaker 4: I think we're the only team to ever lose back to back game sixty two to nothing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is there anything we have to look forward to? With the coach ruling in Nebraska? He's hees great, it's great. He's a really good coach, really sharp. You know, he'll do great things. You know, he's a lot of respect for Matt. He's a really good coach. So I haven't fought him before, so I'm not sure that would go. But on the fighting thing, who do you think he'd have the most trouble with in the Big ten? Just on stature alone, because you got some ship to you now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say probably you know who would be uh PJ would be hard because the guy's got so much energy. He's got a high motor guy. Would feel like he would just keep going coming at you.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. You have to plan to like you got to choke him out or something. You have to him. He's gonna keep coming back, keep coming next day, day in, day out. He's got a lot of energy day out. He's another great coach and a great guy. Yeah, yeah, thanks a lot, man, Thank you for sitting down with us.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Hopefully, hopefully we did all right. All right, good deal, hell you guys, the dumbs up. We got the dumb good luck.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, all right, you got a man, of course,