Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me. We all about that high school drama, Girl Drama, Girl, all about.
Speaker 2: Them high school queens.
Speaker 3: We'll take you for a ride, and our comic.
Speaker 2: Girl sharing for the right teen.
Speaker 4: Drama Queens, Jaylie's my girl ofugh girl Fashion, Butch your tough girl.
Speaker 1: You could sit with us, Girl Drama, Queen Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, John McQueen's drama, Queens.
Speaker 4: Hey Everybody, Season eight, Episode four is We All Fall Down? Air date October fifth, twenty ten, twenty ten.
Speaker 2: Guys, this is so long ago, okay.
Speaker 4: The synopsis is as Brook deals with the mounting financial troubles at Closeover Bros, Nathan and Haley come to a conclusion regarding Nathan's career. Meanwhile, Julian begins a new film project, while Alex and Chase spend their afternoon together. Directed by Peter Kowalski, writer Bill Brown, William Brown. Well, thanks, I hope you guys watched along with us. This was a fun one.
Speaker 5: This one was.
Speaker 3: I can I just go ahead and say though that I literally have laughter in all caps in my notes because we open on Nathan training and James is such a g he's just crushing the sports and it, I mean, making buckets to an instrumental of this has got to be a good Life. I was like, why it felt as weird to me as the punk rock over the super emotional last episode, Like I almost feel like someone's taken our music syncs and put them in like a like a boggle jar and just shaken up the dice and you see where it lands. Why was that song for the sports?
Speaker 4: It must have just been a trending song at the time.
Speaker 6: It definitely was, But it's kind of like they said, hey, we couldn't jump around by House of Pain, but we were able to get an instrumental of good Life. Yeah, and they're like, uh okay, great. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also cutting to the credits that Susie so did I think? Which it was a beautiful rendition, but also why did we just not flip flop them?
Speaker 2: Because the energy was there?
Speaker 3: So who knows that energy would have been so much better for Ato three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder what happens behind the scenes that we don't know about that sets that up, Like who, I mean, maybe somebody's got an album coming out that week and it needs to be I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we should.
Speaker 4: We really do need to have Lindsay Wolfington on this show before it's all over and ask her all these questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was such a good opener, but the music feeling mismatched took me out of it. And you know, I'll be the first to say, maybe that's because we made the show. Maybe maybe the audience didn't really bump on it. But I would actually be really curious from the fans at home if you were like, why this song?
Speaker 6: Also, can I say that my first note is a good song and a sweaty James Lafferty working out montage to start the app sign me up? So clearly I didn't bump on it at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. Okay, nurice it either. I didn't notice it either.
Speaker 6: I liked the little American beauty vibe with creeper Julian in this camera.
Speaker 2: That's what it was, American beauty.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was weird.
Speaker 3: I was like, does Nathan know Julian's filming him? Why is Julian sort of hiding behind his car but not completely the whole It felt so weird to me. And then later in the episode when he tells Brook, oh, I'm testing out this new camera. I'm like, could we not have done this at the baseball field with kid? Where it was I felt cute? And then you see him filming the dad and you go, oh, he's doing He's gonna like do this with everybody. I guess we'll figure out why.
Speaker 4: Instead he drives you to the prison without telling you, and then as coming out, bust out this video camera.
Speaker 3: Right doesn't feel me going in, God.
Speaker 4: He susould drive me crazy this stuff, Like, it's just why are we doing this? Can we not just make it make sense? Is there not one person in the room who's just like, can we just it's not that hard to make it make sense. Let's make some slight adjustments exactly.
Speaker 6: And the blocking, here's the weird thing. If Nathan was playing at a crowded court, totally makes sense for Julian to kind of be doing his own thing tucked away recording. But Nathan is playing at River Court. He is the only person there. He is the only car there, which means seeing Julian pull up and be standing there would be incredibly obvious. It would be weird to not acknowledge each other. So the fact that the blocking had him kind of like tuck behind his car, and it was like, is Nathan aware why the energy was very like lurker creepy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would have made so much more sense to acknowledge each other, to make it look like Julian's doing something, not stalking people. Yeah, and then you know, even see, you could have seen Nathan kind of get lost in it and then catch himself because he knows his friend is there. But to your point, Rob, it's like it's the flattest, most open space in all of Wilmington, and supposedly he doesn't see a giant old Ford truck and a man who's six ' three standing there looking at him like, what are we talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well he did.
Speaker 4: He must have seen him. Julian must have told him blah blah blah, the camera this program, can I shoot you?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: But then awkward.
Speaker 6: All it took was the slightest head nod between each other even and you'd be like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool.
Speaker 4: Part of me hates picking this stuff apart, but I also feel like I love the critical thinking aspect of it because so often we I think it just happens more and more in TV, especially for this demographic where it gets a little lazy. People are whoever's running the show is just like it doesn't really matter, and kids are getting used to not having to critically think. They're just they just accept it because everything is a little bit suspended beyond belief in my opinion.
Speaker 2: But I see it happened with my daughter. I'm like, well, this doesn't make any sense, and she's just like, whatever, it's just TV. I'm like, yeah, but it's storytelling.
Speaker 4: Should make sense that how else are you supposed to be emotionally affected by something if there's this part of your brain that's just like, yeah, but how did it, how did you get there?
Speaker 2: And what happened?
Speaker 4: And when it's not that hard to tie up the loose ends, I think we should do it.
Speaker 2: That's my rant.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate the rant, and I also appreciate that because listen, there's a weird thing and I think we certainly we definitely experienced this. Rob Like when we first started the show, I think there was a little bit of shock from some of the fans that were like, whoa, you guys point out a lot of things that aren't great, and I never want to seem like we're complaining but what I do appreciate is saying this could be better. And in a way, yeah, we're reliving these great memories we all had together, but we're kind of film schooling our show.
Speaker 6: Yes, like this is what you do.
Speaker 3: In film school, and I do appreciate it. And what I don't want to do is the thing that the writers would do, which is sort of the role you just played, right, joy being like, well, the assumption is they've talked about this off camera, and who cares. You don't need to see it on camera because the most interesting thing and that's actually not true. That's just lazy. Yeah, And I like that we're willing to say that and do that, And like, I don't know. I didn't go to film school and kind of wish I had. And for anyone out there who didn't go to film school either, you're welcome. Welcome to class.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and pointing out stuff like that isn't like, isn't like knocking the show as a whole. It's not saying we don't like the show. It's it's the same way like when I watch a movie. Unfortunately, I noticed when a character's glass goes from full in one shot to then empty the next shot and then full again. It's like I can't not notice these things. But it doesn't mean like the movie's not good. No, it's not the case. Also, to be fair, listen, TV's fast and loose, and sometimes it can be really lazy. Also, there are some days where there are only so many fires you can put out. Yeah, this might have been a day where there was like three more like more pressing fires, and by fire, I just mean like a problem, and this was the smallest, and they were just they could they didn't have the time for it. Yeah, you know, because TV moves so fast, you know, it's so ambitious. So sometimes it's just like, cool, we have three trash cans and two lids. What are we going to address?
Speaker 2: A couple of other things.
Speaker 4: I noticed though, when he flipped that camera, when he turned the recording off, it went to a green light.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that? Yeah, so it looks like he hadn't.
Speaker 4: Been recording the whole time. And then when he turned the camera quote unquote off, the green light turned on. Although I guess when you record, a red light runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the red light runs when you're recorded.
Speaker 4: Why would a green light go on when he turned it off? It was a full green light. Was so strange?
Speaker 3: Was that supposed to help you make sure you knew you weren't recording?
Speaker 4: Maybe, except that green means go generally. But I don't know whatever. It was just some random thing. But the other thing was, did anybody catch the giant boom behind Nathan's head when he and I were talking in the kitchen. No, we took up half the frame, Guys on the left. I should have stopped and screenshotted it for you.
Speaker 3: Like when he comes home from having beers with Julian to tell you that kitchen scene.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're standing in the kitchen and it's over his shoulder onto me. It's one of my first lines, and the rest of the scene is popped in close on my face and you can tell it's because that's the only take they had, for whatever reason, in the shot, and there was a boom in the shot and so they had to cut deep into the shots. So I was like uber close and Nathan was just sort of like his normal, you know, neck up.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, so what's interesting about that scene? I know we're jumping around, but I was watching the episode yesterday and my best friend was here, and you're at the stove, and he, like you know, walks in behind you, puts his bag on the counter, and she goes, why do they have joy in like seven inch platform heels? Isn't isn't Haley pregnant?
Speaker 2: And I said, and shorts and a jean jacket and a scarf.
Speaker 3: And I said, Babe, we all had to wear platforms every day because all the boys were so tall. It was the only way they could get us in the two shots. And then you walk up to him and she goes, oh my god, look how tiny she still is. And I said, yeah, we all like basically broke our feet for nine years because we needed to be in heels all the time. Otherwise they could shoot over any of the boy's shoulders. And she could not believe it. And I was like, yeah, wait till you see.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got the bunyan to prove it. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Amazing hot, so hot. So I was paying attention to your shoes and I fully missed the boom is the pool boom?
Speaker 4: I may go back and screenshot it for you guys, just for the hell of it, because it really I couldn't believe it was. I actually rewound it just to make sure that I was seeing what I was seeing correctly.
Speaker 6: Wow, well, testament to you and James, because I really liked that scene and I didn't notice it. I was I think I was all in on the ride of you two and the story, and I had like normally that stuff jumps out at me, didn't even notice it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, good, that's good. Well, those are the only things about the you know, technic techno. Oh, for god's sake, joy tech technical technical?
Speaker 2: Why does this happen to me?
Speaker 6: Hey, you're doing great? Joy?
Speaker 2: Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all I had about that, those comments. But the lots at the storylines here, Yeah, where do we start? Where do you guys want to start?
Speaker 3: Well, the Crisis Intervention Center feels kind of like a big thing. You know, we've watched Hailey channeling her experiences finding healthy outlets. The journaling gives us very early days Lucas voiceovers. It feels really sentimental. And then to see there was something about seeing you at that desk in that crisis center that gave me Hailey and the Tutor center energy. Yeah, and it really made me feel nostalgic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought so too. I remember shooting that stuff. I thought it was such a nice idea for Haley. I wonder if she keeps going back to work there, because I can't remember what's happening with this storyline remember either, But I know they used I'm pretty sure they used that voice at the end, the Irish accent, because we're going to meet her and we need to be able to recognize her right away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just don't.
Speaker 2: Remember why or how.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did really love that for Haley. It seems like a good transition for her since she's not teaching anymore. And I don't know what what is Hailey doing right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess.
Speaker 6: She's growing a human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, you don't really need to be. It's not like she's on bed rest or something. I don't know why she's I don't know what she's doing.
Speaker 3: Because didn't mea just go on tour. You guys just finished me as album? Yeah she's on tour. Maybe, Yeah, maybe this is your sort of pause after that big creative project.
Speaker 4: Well, and her sister just got shot and her mom just died, so yeah, maybe she's just taken a break of life.
Speaker 6: And Nathan should be at camp right now, so you are probably just staying home to hold the four done.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's true too, Okay, okay, yeah, So Crisis Intervention Center feels like a nice moment for her to be able to take some time to do some good, do something for the community, keep busy, because Haley likes to be busy, but not take up her whole day.
Speaker 5: I liked it too.
Speaker 3: I have another observation from my best friend who was here yesterday. When you realize it's Junk on the phone and you go, hey buddy, seem he goes, oh, how emasculating? We were hackling, and it's like, well, what do you say? What do you say? And just that Hayley and hey buddy, quick was so good. I liked getting Collin's voice in there. I wish we'd gotten to see him in the episode, but even just having Junk come in unexpectedly in that way, it really did give us a moment of levity that I thought was pretty great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe we get him back soon, I hope. So I really missed those River court boys, such.
Speaker 2: A good vibe.
Speaker 6: I loved the first time we see Victoria in the Big House. She already has an assistant and fear like she already has it all figured out and working for her.
Speaker 4: Of course, she's got the lingo down, she's got her, she's got her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, assistant, that'll be enough.
Speaker 3: Adele incredible, I wrote Victoria in prison already already has staff of course, oh tattoo staff. Oh her name's Adele.
Speaker 2: So much better than Calliope, so much better.
Speaker 3: She's so much better than Calliope. And somehow Daphne manages to have this incredible blowout. Yes, Like the volume in her hair is perfect, and she's talking about the quote captains of industry have done their best work while incarcerated.
Speaker 2: She's so unfazed.
Speaker 3: Unfazed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else would you expect?
Speaker 6: But I do appreciate that on the show, penitentiaries and hospitals do not get in the way of good hair. Oh yeah, never threatening trauma. Still going to have perfectly quaft hair. Incarcerated, still going to have a beautiful blowout.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's you know what. That's where the response it's TV kind of makes sense. Yes, Yeah, Like if I'm not going to get a little glamour here, where am I going to get it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's several different kinds of shows. There's the shows where it's really real and raw, and they're going for a specific look and a vibe that's not what we were doing.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 6: This isn't orange is the new black. We don't need to like have a gritty portrayal of it. Let's just, you know, keep it light and polite and beautifully blown out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Victoria wanting the warden to change the color of the jumpsuit. What I would love to see though, is the next time Brooke visits her that all the jumpsuits like actually have been changed. They're all just like a nice cerulean or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The only penitentiary that has that has not orange jumpsuits like in the nation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was a pitch something about you know, mental health and the way colors motivate people, like she would have had it researched, Yeah, budgeted done, Although maybe we shouldn't be trusting Victoria with budgets, given where the end of the episode.
Speaker 6: Goes, Okay, this is one of those ones that could have been solved in two words student loan, Like, Okay, you lost your money invested in close over Bros. So you're gonna tell your kids she can't go to college. Why not just take out a student loan and still let her go to college.
Speaker 4: Yes, semantics for that particular guy's issue agreed.
Speaker 6: I just feel I felt like I felt for him, like this is that is horrible that this happened to you, and that this is like what the company did to you terrible. But I just didn't feel like at the end, I'm like, but you know, you can get a loan and she can still, Like, you don't have to tell her she doesn't. She can't go to college now like most people can't afford college. The vast majority of kids can't afford it.
Speaker 4: What I really liked about it though, that this guy, I mean as an actor. I don't know who what his name is, but I thought he did really great with that material because that had to have been I wonder how many I thought about how many people came in to read that audition scene and read it be like angry and bitter and a jerk, And he really was.
Speaker 2: I really didn't know where it was going to go.
Speaker 4: He was sweet, and it made the turn of the revelation of what he was there for even more effective.
Speaker 6: Well in the way he would occasionally slip into the past tense like he think he said she was is my daughter, like she was going to go to fashion school, and I'm like, yeah, as his daughter passed away, That's what I was worried about. Did Brook accidentally kill someone too? Like? Wow, is that that's going on? Victoria? What'd you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think what was interesting to me about it is at the time, I remember thinking, wow, God, this is just so sad, and I liked that it could be really personal and small for Brooke to be met with. You know, if someone starts talking to you about a crisis that's hundreds of millions of dollars, Like, what does that mean? None of us have ever seen that kind of money, you know, But to hear this girl whose face you now know, lost her college fund, that's that's an experience and an amount of you know, math that I think most of us can wrap our heads around. We don't need to sit and study the figures and ask a bunch of questions and what not to learn. It's a quick I get the problem, and you know, for her to be met with this is the real world effect of this enormous business problem. These hundreds of millions of dollars in all these stores and all these geographies and all these things. It personalized it really well. And on the flip side of, you know, being a person who's now been alive for almost twenty more years than I was when we filmed this, I was like, what do you mean you invested all of your money in her college fund, in my credit? What are you talking about? Who allowed you to do that? And why would you do that in a clothing company that was essentially raising So they're in some version of, you know, the realnds of startup phasing. Why wouldn't you put money into medical device stock? And like, I started asking all these questions about how insanely risky this man had been with his own child's future. And I was like, oh, I'm really I'm taking myself out of the story here, because I want to know why nobody in this supposedly rich older man's life who's old enough to be my dad, told him to invest in the.
Speaker 6: S and B.
Speaker 3: Like I was so mad at him for being so reckless with his money and her future. And I was like, oh, I've officially I'm in a very different phase of life than I was when we filmed this.
Speaker 4: I thought the same thing, and then immediately the next scene is thank god because somebody else in the writer's room thought the same thing too. Maybe it was Bill who wrote this episode. As Victorias say, what kind of an idiot invests everything they have in a clothing line?
Speaker 3: Anyway, exactly, it was really interesting.
Speaker 6: Okay, he was misguided, Like, how about you invest your kids' college fund money in a college fund?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, any high yield savings savings that's where it should be. Also, to our friends we've gotten from film school to finance, you're welcome, high yield savings account. If you don't have one, get one.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was it was say, but I did to what you were saying earlier. So the concept of someone who putting a real face to a real problem, I, especially at that age, always thought of investors as like shark tank people like people with just so much money, money that they could stand to lose a few you know, one hundred thousand here or there, fifty thousand or whatever it is. It's like, Okay, it's just one of many a multifaceted portfolio.
Speaker 3: And it's not that for so many people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I man, I loved this storyline for Brook and it's the I was gonna say, she's come so far, but I think this has always been who I think this is who Brook's always been. No matter when this would have happened. If it was something like this in high school, I think she still would have ultimately done the right thing.
Speaker 2: But it's really.
Speaker 4: Nice to see it was just really nice to see it in person. Feel the weight of that of like, yeah, everything that I have and everything that I own, the confidence of knowing that you can rebuild that there there there will there will always be more ideas, there will always be more opportunities for her, and to be able to just do the right thing and make that sacrifice, Like, oh wow, that really got me. It was beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the things I liked too. And I you know, I remember the whole storyline obviously, but the details are the things we discover when we watch every week. I loved that in the midst of this sadness, Julian took her to the Biltmore estate to say, I want you to have your fairy tale. I want you to have this. I mean it looks like the Disney Castle but better, right. Yeah, And Brooke has wanted this love story forever because she didn't grow up with it didn't experience it. It was never modeled for her. And I liked the actual visual backdrop of her with her man standing in front of this castle, dreaming about their wedding, and then still that thing percolating for her, and she says, is this appropriate? Is it okay to have this? And he says, look, when we look back at our wedding, we're not going to remember this. We're going to remember our wedding. And she's already nervous about being happy. And then when she sees this man and she sees how it's affected his family. I like that. Then she's put in this room and everything's dark and she's in this huge leather chair and she looks like a little kid again and she has to do this brave thing and she's literally going to give up this kind of fairy tale she built for herself. Yeah, and it does take an immense amount of courage and oof. I just was like, oh man, because it wasn't even her mistake, but it doesn't matter. It's, you know, the right thing to do, and she knows it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But like Joyce said, I found myself going, this is the right thing to do, And like Brooks, the secret, Sauce Brooks the magic. This isn't like they developed an app and now she has to sell the company and it's like, well, I have nothing. It's like what made this work was Brooke and her talent. So again, it's not an easy thing to do. But you know, she could always start up a new label, or she could go design for another really high end late like you know what I mean, Like she has options. It's not like all is lost in doing this. Again. Doesn't make it easy, but it does help it make sense, you know. And I agree with what you said earlier. Enjoyed the gentleman who played the dad. I think it is such an easy trap to fall into when you are a guest star with one scene, to go big because you want to you want to make an impression. And I bet so many of the auditions were real big and real heated. But there's such a nice confidence and pulling that back and letting it sort of simmer. And yeah, he did, he did.
Speaker 2: He did great.
Speaker 6: It was very believable and very effective.
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about Chase and Alex they are so cute.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, I know exactly what you're like. Are we joking because I have the same yea, and yet they're so cute together. Janna and Stevens chemistry is so great, and she managed no matter what they put her in, and no matter what creepy, hyper sexualized scenarios they wrote for her, she managed to act in those scenes like just the sweetest, funniest girl.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: She gave me such Skipper energy, remember when like Barbie released the Kid's Sister Skipper Like she she managed in the tennis skirt with the corset ties and the crop top and the thing she just she was so playful and wonderful, and it's such like a It's such a piece of Janna's energy that she brought. And I was like wow watching them man to be so freakin cute in what was arguably like really icky material. I wanted to give them a round of applause.
Speaker 4: And I really enjoyed watching Stephen Kletty in this episode. I always enjoy watching him. He's so he just feels so grounded on screen, which is funny because I remember working with him in person. He's got a lot of nervous energy. It's just a lot of like moving his fingers a lot, and he's kind of like bouncing around on his toes a lot, and there's just this sense of like whatever is going on internally, and it does not necessarily even a negative nervousness. It's just this sort of like things are percolating. And so when the camera goes on the fact that all of that seems to go away and he's just so solid. He was just there, confident, chill, not not trying to prove anything. He was like perfect boyfriend material. In this episode in particular, I was super super crushing on this character.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's hitting some sort of stride in himself and as an actor. And I love that you just mirrored her dialogue because I feel like, in a way, by the end of their golf date, Alex was sort of saying what all the girls were thinking and it was so sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cute.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they kudos to both of them, and especially Janna. She's she's a trooper. She's made a teflon because no matter how hard they try, it just sort of she just kind of rolls with it. But yeah, I mean, like the the outfit, I'm like, all right, ky, uh sure, But then I love Pete. But the opening the shot of the of up her skirt. I was like, how hat on a hat? Does this need to be? Like we get it? Like we we it's a visual medium. We see what you've dressed her in.
Speaker 4: But who knows what instructions Pete's getting true? But I felt like Pete was always so protective of us, always looking out to try so that those kinds of things feel like when something seems uncharacteristic of a person, You're like, Okay, what other thing could have happened that would have made him need to do this? And there were a lot of phone calls coming in from La.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of the stuff I noticed too, even that shot. I mean, you know, we have to describe it. I feel gross describing it. Imagine having to say to Jana, this is what I need you to do. But you know, she's standing there with her legs spread apart in this mini skirt and they're shooting up between her legs. And one of the things I noticed is as the shot moves, they start to get wider and kind of pan around, and I was like, oh, are they trying to do what they've been told but also get out of it as quickly as they can. And then even when this, I mean, you said it. Rob kudos to Jana when she's got to stand there again and bend over and supposedly isn't wearing underwear and all these guys are crashing their golf carts into each other that they didn't They only ever shot her from straight on from the front. Yeah, Like, I'm sure they were asked to get other angles and there just weren't any. And I appreciated that, and I appreciate it even that when she goes around and sits in the passenger seat of the golf cart early on, like somebody told her, Oh, put your feet up and cross your feet in front of you, because that's how we're going to block you in the shot. And I, as gross as it was, I could also see little things. And to your point, maybe I'm projecting because I know how amazing our crew was and how they had our backs then and they still have our backs, you know now. But I was like, Ooh, I feel like I can see some of our people looking out for our people, and I liked it.
Speaker 4: In the middle of it, that's when like the director gets with the ad and they're like the scene where she bends over, that's the last thing on the docket and we're losing the light. Sorry, we can't get.
Speaker 3: Any more ang, Oh no, we can't get any more of the shots. We lost the lights. Sorry sorry, La.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all we had.
Speaker 4: And those are the things that that's the real boots on the ground and how a crew protects the actors. There's so many things that go on by the seeds that you guys don't know about.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 3: But I and I'm really glad we're talking about this because I know that sometimes when we when we have unmasked some of what was really hard and bad, it makes people who loved the show feel really sad because they're like, oh my god, did I love a painful thing? But you also loved a thing that was so good and where people showed up for each other and where people would yeah, like ride for each other, and yeah, sometimes you we'd have a bunch of guys be like, I guess we're just gonna have to lose the light.
Speaker 2: So is Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: I just want to say that because I don't want anyone at home to be like, oh no, it's like yeah, there's some oh no, but there's so much more. Hell Yeah, and that feels special.
Speaker 4: Absolutely every community, whether it's a workplace or a school or a group of friends or whatever, there's always some big bad that they're an obstacle or you know, a person or whatever the situation is that you know, you got to you got to come together and figure out how to how to overcome and protect each other.
Speaker 2: And it's okay.
Speaker 4: So don't look at our show and think it's some sort of completely out of the ordinary situation. Like we're all facings as different, the little communities that we have all over the place. We're all facing ways that we can band together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there's always room for improvement, you know. It just happened that on some of our experiences had to do with like morality as opposed to dialogue, you know. And yeah, and I wasn't hanging that on Pistol p because you're absolutely right, he did look out for us a lot, And you're right, the rest of the scene there wasn't a single suggestive frame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: I mean you didn't need to because the dialogue was already like it's it's the way that they banter, it's so great. But I like, at one point I watched like I was watching two good actors make the best of some like tricky lines, like when he's giving her a pointer and he goes, all right, just keep your head down. In fact, I wrote it down. Also, he had an amazing They did a profile shot of the two of them in the cart, and Steven's hair looks like the most incredible pompadour.
Speaker 3: I wrote this down too. I was like, Steven's hair looks extra good this episode.
Speaker 6: It was it was large and in charge. But he says, he goes, just keep your head down. You know how to keep your head down, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But he said it so straight. He just read it straight.
Speaker 6: Like he he sold it as best you could. But I'm like, and there's another part too, where it was odd that when she goes like, I'm wearing underwear and she bends over and all the guys are are so blown away that they crash their golf carts and then he has to turn around and go my girlfriend prey as if he's like stoked, But it was again he sold it. But when you look at the words, you're like, what, that's the part of her you're proud of?
Speaker 4: Huh, you know what I've What's you're making a great point, Rob, because he didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't sell it like it was written.
Speaker 4: The way it was written was hey, hey, this is what I'm proud of what you're talking about. But he sold it like a guy who's going she's she's wild, she's brave, like she's she is. I'm not sure where she's coming from or what her deal is right now, or why she's chosen to do that, but I'm I'm not impressed, nor am I embarrassed. I'm just here for you in whatever state you're in, and I'm along for the ride and I support you. That's what I mean by good boyfriend energy. It was like she's doing something really outrageous that would elicit a huge reaction out of most guys. And the fact that he's just like, nah, you can't really phase me.
Speaker 2: Love you. I mean he didn't say love you, but you know that vibe.
Speaker 3: It felt so but kind of he did. By the end, which is where I want to go, I thought it was so sweet and as much as you know you said it, Rob, they had to really make a meal out of some scraps in moments of this whole storyline, when they get to the beat, nearing the end of the game where he says, well, you might not have been in love with any of them, but I bet they were in love with you. I was like, oh, Jase, you love her, You're falling in love with her, And I just loved it. I thought it was so sweet and yeah, I like their energy together so much.
Speaker 6: This whole thing surprising because, like I said, I had no recollection of them ever being together, so I just assumed it was going to be like a one or two episode thing and then that he'd get right back with Mia. But then I was watching this going, oh, there, he's they're courting each other like they're yeah, they're playing this slow, like they're building an actual, real foundation here, and and then the way it ended, it was obviously like things look promising for these two.
Speaker 2: It'd be interesting to see where this goes.
Speaker 3: I do not remember, by the way, Okay, wait, I do have one more note on shots, because I wrote this down like joy when you talk about how they had to punch in with you and and the Hayley Nathan stuff in the kitchen, you guys are sitting in the hospital talking and it's so sweet, and I love the way that in both the Clay and Nathan in the hospital and then Julian and Nathan at the bar. I love that we're getting to see our men be really vulnerable with each other and and have these big conversations, but they're also having them kind of facing forward because of the way, you know, the bar seats face, the way the hospital bed faces. It's like, sometimes I find it easier to go on a walk with someone and talk about something really emotional rather than sit at the table and do it. Yeah, And I was really touched by these emotional conversations between men. And there's a moment that I loved so much because you guys are having this chat. Rob You're in the bed and James is sitting next to you, and they punch in on these close ups and he's got his head lean back on the hospital chair and it's like a bluish color. You've got your head on your pillow and it's kind of a bluish color, and suddenly it looks like you two are in bed together. And I was like, wait, like I had grabbed my coffee looked up and I was like, did I miss something? And then I was like, also, not, no, you guys are very cute, and then it pushed back out and I was like, all right, all right, they're just like sitting next to each other. But I was like, God, there's good. There's just so much good chemistry between all of you. And I buy that you all love each other. I buy that when you said, you know, you would have ruined your career and he's like, no, this like that's just a game. This wasn't a hard decision for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that you're getting to say to each other like I love you so much, my friend, and I can't imagine living without you without necessarily having to like say, it feels very feels very like sweet dude time.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The word I had for I wrote was I love the scene between Clain Quinn. I love the sincerity and I love that it was just it was just honorable, excuse me, vulnerable, honest talk, and they didn't do the trophy thing of But then a guy has to make a joke, Yes, hey I love you, bro, don't take it that way, you know. Like however, Yeah, the thing that they feel like they need to do with guys where it's like, in order to be vulnerable, they also have to couch it in humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so relieved that they didn't have Nathan go and how would I make any money without you anyway? Man? Like something late. Yeah, I liked that you you two together and him later with Austin, like everyone's just saying the thing and it's really nice to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I love that level of maturity. And when he tells Julian to say, tell Brooke, don't be afraid of what comes next, oh, like that was just so great, really encouraging and heartening. And the fact that he's sitting there and he makes this decision so quickly. When Julian's talks about baseball and Nathan's like baseball Wait what It's.
Speaker 3: Like, No, I'm out. I gotta like what am I doing?
Speaker 2: What am I doing?
Speaker 6: And it was almost like he was he was giving himself advice and saying, tellbrook not to be afraid of the future. Yes, Yeah, it was sort of him kind of girding himself for what he was about to share with Haley.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And speaking of Austin and the perpetual attempted emasculation of Austin love. I love the whole thing with the bringing flowers right because to me so it's just a sweet gesture. First flowers there, beautiful. I loved that he stops the door and he's like, by the way, I'm the one who actually picked those flowers out, and Hayley's like, oh okay, and then he circles in to be to actually explain specifically. I was hoping for these. I couldn't get these. I thought these really filled it out. And I just laughed because I sort of I wondered, is this one of those attempts to make him quirky as opposed to like sexy leading man. But then when I laughed, I was going, but he's so comfortable in himself that it's incredibly backfired to me.
Speaker 2: I was completely Yes, that's.
Speaker 6: A dude who is grounded in himself and he's comfortable, and it just it's pretty awesome that he doesn't care that like how it looks. He's just like, I'm going to tell you why I love your bouquet and why I picked it out for you. Yeah, it's endearing.
Speaker 3: Man. Very totally agree.
Speaker 2: He's a master at that. I love that.
Speaker 4: Austin, and I've said this about him before, he always just said exactly what was on the page. I very rarely remember or Austin ever changing a line. He really always strove to just say what was on the page, and he Oh, he's a master at figuring it out, figuring out how to Oh, they're going to try and to masculate me. That's all right, and I know what I'm going to do. There's a level of confidence it takes to just do what you're gonna do, say what's on the page, same thing that Stephen did, but you do it from a place of authenticity and can't.
Speaker 2: They can't take him down. Baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had a director tell me one time that there's something there's a lot of stuff like going on with the episode. Was like it was a tricky thing or something and there was issues, and I said, like, what are you gonna do? And she said, I'll get my revenge. I'm going to shoot their script. And I love that sort of like Austin going like, I'll get my revenge. I'm going to say your words. But then it doesn't, it doesn't go the way that whoever thought it was going to go.
Speaker 2: No, it makes him more attractive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: It's something he manages to do so well in those moments. It's something Jan is managing to do so well. It's like everyone really has such ownership of their characters, I think at this point. And I loved too, the way he chose to come back in and be like, Okay, so here's my thought process because he knew you would appreciate it. You had said, well, they're the nicest ones. Of course they're from Brook and he's like, actually me, and because you love it, he wants to let you in on his little you know, thought process is his little secret, and he talks about it in a very similar way that he talks to Brooke about the camera he's working with and how he's testing it out and he's part of this new director program and whatever. And what I loved about it and what I wrote down here and I love that you saw it.
Speaker 4: Rob Is.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, Julian just makes everything into art, like that's his job. He's a director. He sees everything as something he can make true and beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I liked it.
Speaker 3: He brought that energy to this thing that could have been weird and he just made it. He was like, yeah, this is my other art project.
Speaker 6: It's great, right, Julian has big, open heart energy Because I think what's also happening in this scene and circling back and telling Haley how he he picked it out, He arranged this himself. He's doing two things. He's saying, One, I care about you guys enough to spend my time creating something beautiful for you. And two, it's an invitation for Haley to kind of see him and get to know him a little more. Like it's an invite in you know, because he could have just walked out the dorm and like whatever, I'm the one who did it, you know. But yeah, he's Yeah, he's great. And speaking of Haley, how about Haley showing up as just the like all time Hall of Fame sister. Yeah, this episode, the Hailey Quinn stuff I thought was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's just it's a lot. Yeah, Hailey's always It's nice to see her go into caretaker mode. It's a really natural The nurturing is a really natural space for her.
Speaker 6: The washing of her hair, it was very sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good space for Haley. I feel like it was good for me too.
Speaker 4: I remember shooting a lot of that stuff, and I feel like I was at my happiest on set when Haley was in caretaker mode was nice.
Speaker 3: There's something about it to the journey that you've been on as a character. I think one of the greatest traumas of people who go through loss, you know, in life or family that is quick, like you guys did as sisters with your mom, you know, to find out Lydia was sick and have it be so fast. It's like a compounded trauma. And the kind of I don't want to call it a second chance that feels maybe a little icky, but the opportunity to, in the face of potentially another loss of that magnitude, get kind of the second chance, like Quinn winds up being okay, and you get to not only love her because she's your sister and you want to be there and nurturing is natural for Haley and all these things, but you get to kind of love her, show up for her, take care of her, cook for her, do the things for her that you don't get to do for your mom anymore. Yeah, and that you didn't really get much time to do for your mom. And I should say for her mom. I'm personalizing it and now it makes me feel weird. I'm like, I don't want to put that energy in the world. But you know what I mean, Like it would have been meaningful anyway to watch Haley and Quinn go through this experience and Haley Quinn and Clay and Nathan and the whole thing, but watching it happen after the loss of a mother for me as a viewer, made it twice as touching.
Speaker 6: Yeah I'm glad, Yeah boomshot aside, I thought the scene with Haley and Nathan in the kitchen was beautiful and had the same takeaway. I have a lot of times with scenes with them where it's just like they're a great team, you know. I love that Haley's first reaction wasn't what are we going to do financially? She was like, is this what you want? Like she was just checking in with her person, which so great. And then there's a lot of integrity, right because it's like then we see Brooks signing away all liquidating all of her own personal fortune assets to pay people back. It's like, Wow, that's integrity. And then Nathan shows up to Clay and Quinn's and listen, I love the idea behind where you're going, buddy. I love you trying to be of service for your friend. But yeah, maybe the room covered in four day old dried blood. Maybe that's a for a professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not gonna come out.
Speaker 2: Also, isn't it a crime scene.
Speaker 6: It's a crime scene. There's still police tape on the door. I was like, I think, maybe.
Speaker 2: You're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you're That was one of those moments where I was like, even a Stanley steamer would not get that out. No, you have to rip up the carpet. Yeah, you have to have somebody come it. You got to sand that door and repaint it, like sweetheart. And I was so that was one of those moments where again our crew is so great because whatever mixture they made to put into that rug so he could actually start getting the stain out. Like I watched the stain start lifting, and I was like, what's in there? What is in there? That's not organic material? And I love the intention behind it so much, but yeah, what I would have appreciated was like him trying to get it out, realizing it's not coming up, feeling overwhelmed, and like googling a carpet company and being like I need you to come rip out all these carpets.
Speaker 4: Like also, could we have got a message on Clay's phone or something like, hey, your house isn't a crime scene anymore, like and some I don't know how they tell you those things, but you're.
Speaker 3: Interfering with the crime scene.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was I'm still out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah he did that. But when I do, why, I don't mind it though. Was it's like there's a lot going on and he's just trying his best. Maybe he's not thinking critically. He's just like, my buddy's house is a disaster. I'm going to fix it for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't need to come home to look at this.
Speaker 6: No, you just need to buy a new rug, get it professionally cleaned, or you just recarpet that room.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are people who do that crime scene clean up well. And I liked that we all knew and he knew what Quinn was asking. Yeah, and we all knew what he was saying.
Speaker 3: It's going to be good for you to go back there when you're ready, and he wants them to go back to the way it was before. It's so sweet. It's so lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: What I appreciated it was weird. It was such a big swing because something nobody talks about is the fact that at a crime scene or when there is a medical emergency, the amts and police don't clean up. You know, you see all the gauze, You see the needles because they probably had to inject you guys with adrenaline. You know, you see the wreckage of them saving your life. That was very powerful to me. And then as powerful as it was to be honest about what it would look like in that room after an event like this, then it did the opposite where I was like, there is no way weeks old blood is coming out of that rug. And I was like, God, we did so good on the one hand, and then we just we pushed it. We knocked it right over with the other. But it was that's one of those moments where you go, it's the gesture, it's the thing. And even though I don't ever believe our answer for something that doesn't work should be oh, it happened off camera, I was like, I have to believe that. Maybe three minutes after we left him scrubbing, he called Stanley Steamer and the store.
Speaker 6: Because it wasn't you know, it wasn't like someone cracked their head open. It's like we were both shot and bled out for like something like twelve hours. Yeah, that's so much blood, so much a carpet and then being left for days, if not a week or two?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah floorboards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but bless his heart, you know, as it's in.
Speaker 3: The less harmless.
Speaker 6: I think we should do honorable mentions and maybe a fan question. Sure, my honorable mention is going to be sweet Sweet Stephen Coletti and Janet Ramer. Yeah, they sold the heck out of that. They made it do a very charming store and it could have not gone that way.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm on board with that as well.
Speaker 3: I was going to say the same, and now I'm like, should we toss it up? Because I know I feel like we all said the same last week. I'm going to give my honorable mention to Victoria's hair in prison, just for a little levity at the end of.
Speaker 4: The show, Like I want to know what she's using instead of belcrow rollers?
Speaker 2: Are there so many cans? Like how is she doing this?
Speaker 3: It must be That's a scene I'd like to see as well. When we get Victoria and Martha Stewart, we can see the coke can rollers for.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, all right, do we have a question we do?
Speaker 6: It comes in from B. B Asks. I have watched seasons one through nine countless times, and I've never understood why Haley just stops being a teacher in seasons five and six, She's a teacher, gets fired, and then just never teaches again. A lot of work goes into becoming a teacher. It seems strange she just abandoned as a career. Why do you think the writers never had her go back and teach.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a great point. I guess they forgot or maybe they felt like it just didn't serve the story anymore. They wanted to do other things. I don't know, because Hayley's doing a lot of When did I stop teaching? I get fired? And then what and then I started running the record label?
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing in season six, when you get fired, it's over such moral ground and wanting to do the right thing.
Speaker 2: And I mean, yeah, that would put you off for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also what a sort of premonition. I mean, look what teachers in our country are having to deal with all over the place right now. And at the same time as you're teaching and working on music, and then you're essentially told you can't allow a student to tell their truth and be who they are, which feels like the antithesis of what a school environment is supposed to be. Then Mia needs help, she needs a producer. A producer is essentially a teacher. It's kind of like being a college professor really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like one on one really just like walking her through the ropes.
Speaker 3: So in my mind, Haley didn't stop teaching. She just she really pursued her greatest passion. But yeah, I don't know. Maybe that's why in this episode the crisis center feels so nostalgic to me, but it is an interesting.
Speaker 4: Point, Yeah, because you can see like the nurturing she wants to help. She wants to be a part of helping people and helping them grow into the best versions of themselves, or helping in small situations, and there's always.
Speaker 2: That's just always who she's been.
Speaker 4: So yeah, even though the classroom environment went away, I agree, I think she was still showing up and doing doing something to that effect well.
Speaker 6: And also on the non creative side, logistically, it is much easier from a production standpoint to have you doing red bedroom stuff where it's just you and one other person versus you and a school that they have to populate with sixty background actors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and how many issues. I think they felt like we had been in the classroom for so long. And I think because the first four years was all in the classroom on the basketball court, and then as we moved on, I think the audience may have wanted and astutee that it is a stute that the writer's room would have noticed this, that it would be really helpful as a transition point for the audience to still be able to be in the classroom in some way with us as we transition into adulthood. But I think at some point it just served its purpose, like we had just run through all the storylines that we really could have without interfering too much on the larger group scale.
Speaker 3: And I also think there really is the This is where the sort of personal professional overlap happens too. You know, you are a musician. You are an incredible musician. You were writing music, you were writing musicals. You are I mean you, you moved to the music capital of America like you. You are a music a musical being in yourself as joy and so I also think given all of that and and what Haley as a musician allowed us to maintain on the show, particularly with Peyton leaving and you taking over Red bedroom, that I just think for both story and your creative inspiration, it made more sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too. Yeah, B thanks for asking.
Speaker 2: Great, it's a great question. Interesting. Okay, let's been a wheal.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, kiddos.
Speaker 4: It's so funny when they run this, we get to see like it running through all the all the different possibilities.
Speaker 2: I know, Oh how funny.
Speaker 6: Most likely to win the show survivor.
Speaker 2: To win not just be a contestant.
Speaker 6: Victoria Davis.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, one thousand percent yes. And it would come down to Victoria Davis and Dan Scott and Victoria would get the upper hand somehow, but for sure Victoria wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Dan would beg He'd be like, but be like the girl in the Hunger Games and save us both and Victoria would be like, no, I love it. That's it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Next episode, Season eight, episode five, Nobody taught us to quit.
Speaker 2: I wonder what's going to happen there?
Speaker 4: For tuning in friends, always nice to spend an afternoon evening or morning with you and hope to see so bane.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queens O t H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: See you next time.
Speaker 3: We all about that high school drama.
Speaker 2: Girl Drama Girl, all about them high school queens.
Speaker 4: We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl cheering for the right teams. Drama Queenslease my girl, up girl fashion, but your tough girl.
Speaker 2: You could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens Drama Queens