Speaker 1: Sabrina, what are you wearing?
Speaker 2: Will? I am wearing the latest fashion of two thousands. I've got my Avril Levine tie on. Uh huh, my preppy little shirt here, okay, my cheetah sweater. I noticed my hat that cannot be straight. It must be to the rice.
Speaker 1: Slightly rakish angle. Yes, I am.
Speaker 2: Grooving and moving this morning.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, how far did you have to go to find said fashion?
Speaker 1: Was this a store? Did you have to order this? How did you find this outfit?
Speaker 2: I just happened to have these items of the two thousands in my closet. It was just a little get up. I had to look a little bit. This is my husband's tie, Okay, which is this normal? Why is his tie cut?
Speaker 1: No, that's not that's not normal.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Sorry to call you out, Jordan. I have no idea what the hell that is.
Speaker 3: He's even got a great Your husband even has a great mid aught two thousand's boy band name Jordan?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, I know, I know. And his middle name is Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh he could also just be jm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a play a little bit of a playoff Michael Jordan. But you know, switch it up, just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Switch it up just well, there's there is no better segue to our film this week. But first of all, welcome to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the.
Speaker 1: Waves, tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm wilfrid All and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: And Sabrina's outfit.
Speaker 3: If you can't see it, which you can't if you're just listening to the podcast, but I promise you is a perfect representation of the time which we're talking about today.
Speaker 2: Which I'm twinsies with Brenda Song.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely because today we are watching Stuck in the Suburbs, which is.
Speaker 1: A huge, you know, incredible movie. It was fun, It was fun.
Speaker 2: Loved it. I loved I thought it was so fun.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 2: There's definitely things to chat about, of course, of course, but to be honest, I thought it was great. It was perfectly placed in its time, The amount of color, just everything, there's so much. I mean, I love this movie so much because I recognize so many people that I've worked with, including the costume designer.
Speaker 1: Miss Oh yeah, this was like right in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: This was right during the like Mecha of Like the Cheetah Girls. So it was wonderful to see everyone's work in this movie. I had not seen this. Have you seen this before?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, of course I have not seen it. Now I've got another faith.
Speaker 1: This is another fave.
Speaker 3: So everybody needs to hone in the auto tune and touch up the blonde highlights because we're diving into two thousand and fours pop music adventures stuck in the suburbs, So right in the middle of the early aughts onslaught of boy bands and trl. This movie deals in fantasy fulfillment and the dilemma of being a true artist, all set in a very normal, uneventful suburb. It premiered on July sixteenth, two thousand and four, to three point seven million viewers, which was scoring the top spot for its time slot in kids six to eleven and nine to fourteen.
Speaker 1: It was reportedly filmed with a budget of just a million.
Speaker 3: Dollars, and it also brought along a highly publicized soundtrack from Walt Disney Records and even became He even came.
Speaker 1: With a poster for the movie.
Speaker 3: I love that back in the day you got a poster too, which is cool. So, in addition to songs from Haley Duff, Jesse McCartney, Annalise Vanderpohl and Weirdly Stuck in the Middle with You from Steeler's Wheel, which really sticks out in the film, there are tracks for the movie's fictional pop star, Jordan Cahill, and the soundtrack actually charted on the Billboard Top two hundred and two thousand and four. It hit number one eighty two, which is pretty amazing. But before we find ourselves on top of the world making a wish to be more than me, let's break into the synopsis. So Brittany Aerins is your normal teenage girl bored with her predictable life in the suburbs, but all that changes when pop singer Jordan Cahill comes to town and accidentally switches phones with her. Before we really get into the film, did you have a pop like.
Speaker 1: Sensation growing up?
Speaker 3: Somebody that you had hanging in your locker that you would scream for that was just your everything?
Speaker 2: Did not have a locker, which I always have. Movies always make me. Ever, movies always make me sad because I never had a locker?
Speaker 1: How did you never have a locker?
Speaker 2: When I was in junior high, which is when I would get a locker, I did independent study for the for pees because I danced so much, and that's the only time you'd have a lockers for pe. By the time I got to high school, they had taken out all the lockers. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, so you just walked around.
Speaker 2: With the backpack with all your crap in it.
Speaker 3: You never in middle school and in high school that you had to and if they had no lockers.
Speaker 2: It made me so sad. It makes me still. The decorating of a locker I missed out on.
Speaker 3: That is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard in my garage.
Speaker 2: So that I can have one, because I literally have never gotten the locker experience.
Speaker 1: That is a strange thing.
Speaker 2: To hear the kiss at the locker. I missed out on all that.
Speaker 1: That is such a strange.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you had a locker, which it would have been, should have.
Speaker 2: In sync, in sync, in sync and then of course obsessed with Brittney Britney spears, I carry all the pop icons at that point.
Speaker 3: But in sync, for sure, your your Jordan Cahill would have been the boys from encinc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: I totally understand that. I obviously was not a pop guy. So my locker had pictures of like I think I had motorcycles and stuff like that. It was, yeah, maybe some sports stuff. But I also never but you.
Speaker 2: Did decorate it.
Speaker 1: I might have stuck in middle school. I think we put things up.
Speaker 3: I think at one point I had like, literally quotes from Karate Kid written in my locker. Yeah yeah, and stuff like that, and it I put put put them in a body bag.
Speaker 1: Get him a body bag. That was that. And there was a couple of things.
Speaker 3: So my friends and I had had some some Karate Kid stuff in there. But I can't believe you didn't have a locker. I swear to God, I know what I'm getting you for Christmas. I'm just going to get you a locker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know where I'll put it, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Let's go with garage. That's a better way. So you we covered this at the top. We both really liked this movie. I did.
Speaker 2: I thought it was an easy watch. I mean to the point where I had to Normally I do all my Sabrina seaes that you know, we watched these movies twice. I do it all.
Speaker 1: The first time me too.
Speaker 2: By mid of the movie, I just was enjoying it and completely stopped writing down little thing I had. Second time, I normally just get to watch it. But the second time, when it came up to the point where I stopped watching making notes, that's when I, oh, I got to start writing these again because I don't have enough and Will's stealing all of them, so I had to make sure that it got a plenty of a list so I can check off the ones that you've got.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was This was one of those movies for me that started to make me realize that I'm beginning to watch the movies the way they're supposed to be watched. Yes, because they're really You couldn't have made a movie that was made less for me. I mean, this is obviously made for teenage, mostly teenage and young tween girls.
Speaker 1: But because some of the I mean all the acting was good.
Speaker 3: Again, the stories were kind of you know, the story was we'll get into a little bit interesting how they did some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: But it was fun. It was bright, there was music.
Speaker 3: It was enjoyable, easy, likable characters, easy to watch.
Speaker 1: I agree, so it was good.
Speaker 3: The movie stars Danielle Panabaker as Brittany, the small town girl thrust in the pop music Spotlight because of a cell phone. You might know her from The Flash or really any of the CW DC universe shows like Arrow, Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow. She was also in that superhero high school movie that was really really good, sky High, a great movie and written by the two guys who did Campossible. She was Caitlin snow by the Way aka Killer Frost, which is a great character in the DC universe.
Speaker 1: And then Brenda Song is her new bestie.
Speaker 3: Natasha Kwan Schwartz best known to our audience for roles on the Disney Channel Sweet Life of Zach and Cody and appearances on That So Raven, Phil The Future, Hannah, Montana, and many many more. She is a really really talented actress who's married to mcaulay Culkin.
Speaker 2: They have two and it has two children and they're adorable. Well. I have very many pictures, but I love her. I do.
Speaker 1: You were a big Branda Song fan.
Speaker 2: I love everything she was in, plus as a person, sweet as can be.
Speaker 1: So unique girl.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, okay again, I'm meeting through meeting through stuff from the channel, Disney Channel, working stuff, Disney games, doing different things for the channel every single time. Such a joy to be around, professional and just the sweetest of sweets.
Speaker 1: Oh I love I love hearing that. Yeah, this is the first thing I've ever seen her in. Okay, she was great. Tarren Killum plays singing superstar Jordan K. Hill.
Speaker 3: Tarren would later go on to be a long running cast member of Saturday Night Live and appear in movies like Just Married, Night School, and Twelve Years a Slave. And Ryan Bellaville plays Eddie the in Hot Water, personal assistant and childhood friend of Jordan k.
Speaker 1: Hill.
Speaker 3: The movie runs just eighty two minutes, which is eight below our target, and was shot mostly in New Orleans. It was directed by Now this is I love this and I'll let you know why, directed by Savage Steve Holland, a man who got the nickname Savage in his childhood.
Speaker 1: After he kicked a kid in the teeth during.
Speaker 3: A soccer game. That's not why I love him, but that's just how we got the name. He's a legend because in the eighties, he directed cult classics like Better Off Dead One Crazy Summer, which are two of the most important movies of my life growing up. So Savage Steve Holland when I was a kid, very young, eight or nine was the director I wanted to work with. I just want John Cusack starred in all of his movies. I just wanted to be his next John Cusack, to be in Savage Steve Holland movies.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: He later went into kids TV, working on big shows like Big Time Rush, Phil of the Future, Lizzie Maguire, And this.
Speaker 1: Is one of the most interesting things about him. Do you remember the game show Press Your Luck? Are you too young for Press Your Luck? Okay?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: So Press Your Luck was in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Game early seventies and early eighties, and it was really famous for all these people would sit there and this thing goes around, this circle goes and you can hit either you know, five hundred dollars and another spin, another spin, or you'd hit something called a whammy and the whammys were bad.
Speaker 1: So people would sit there and the thing was going.
Speaker 3: And you go, okay, no whammy's no Whammy's no Wammy stop and if you hit a whammy, this animation.
Speaker 1: Would come on of this thing called the Whamy and we'll go like what.
Speaker 3: So Savage Steve Hall and actually animated all the whammies, which is he does in all of his movies Better Off Dead, One Crazy Summer. There's always these kind of bizarre animated shorts that pop up in the middle, like the famous one and Better Off Dead is two Hamburgers Cheeseburgers dancing to Everybody Wants Some by Van Hall.
Speaker 1: It's just very very interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's Savage Steve Hollan, Wendy and Amy Engelberg wrote the script. They were producers and writers on Eight Simple Rules, What I Like About You and Fuller House, and they shared a credit with Dan Berenson, a Disney regular and writer behind Twitches, Camp Rock to the Hannah Montana movie, and something called Cheetah Girls One World.
Speaker 2: I'm wow, not.
Speaker 1: Familiar with Cheetah Girls. Hopefully we'll get to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder what a one world means. That's weird.
Speaker 1: You're just I can't wait to see the rest of them.
Speaker 3: So let's start off with something I'm gonna call the Kick It Up clause this is where and it's because I'm a thing that again I'm trying to get over as I watch this, because I understand why they do it.
Speaker 2: Of course, think I know where you're going with this.
Speaker 3: This is where grown actors play middle schoolers. So Danielle Panabaker and Brenda Song, we're both sixteen when they filmed the movie.
Speaker 1: So not I mean, we're not talking.
Speaker 3: Gotta kick it up kind of ages, no, but still sixteen playing middle schoolers. And the thing that was so strange was the four other friends that they had at the beginning were definitely like middle school age.
Speaker 2: That was one of my big bold letters of Sabrina Cees was why are her friends seven years.
Speaker 1: Younger than her?
Speaker 2: Right, You're so little and they act little, you know, they yeah, little, And she just looks so much more mature. She talks more mature because she is, and that's okay, but it's like why, why why? Why?
Speaker 1: But do you think that that could be? Why? Then?
Speaker 3: The second cause the things I find interesting about the character was the second Brenda Song walks into school, she ditches her four friends so fast, bad habit.
Speaker 2: Bye, I am done with you.
Speaker 1: I am moving on. It was so quick and abrupt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell. I mean it starts with her being the cool one. She's got an aunt that lives in New York sending her her shoes that nobody has. They can't leave it. They're the most basic jelly shoes I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: But we'll get past. There's only one pair.
Speaker 2: There's only one pair in middle of America, and it's hers. You know, she's set up as being the cool more of out of the suburbs than anyone else. She finds somebody who wants to be liked, and she just drops the I can't believe as we go on that these friends keep coming back around.
Speaker 1: I thought the same thing.
Speaker 3: I was like, you guys just keep getting dissed here and you're still coming back.
Speaker 2: There's not even a conversation really.
Speaker 1: About it was very interesting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, right from the beginning, Right from the.
Speaker 3: Beginning, we're gonna kick off the movie with Britney and her soccer pals bothering their minivan driving mom.
Speaker 1: I had a problem with this too.
Speaker 3: I assumed the mom would be the mom of the lead in the movie. You never see them again, Me too, You never see this mom.
Speaker 2: Again until the end when she comes back in the same.
Speaker 3: Car, But why would it not be Britney's mom that is driving the carpool.
Speaker 1: Why it was just a weird thing.
Speaker 3: And he's like, this, this a strange choice to make it somebody else's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very weird.
Speaker 3: But they you know, obviously they're trying to get home because Jordan Cahill's newest video on something called Music Update was which is a fictional version of TRL, which is obviously huge at the time of Carson Dale was his new video was dropping, and they love the video so much that I think normally, like what I imagine girls would do back in the day is there's.
Speaker 1: Kind of like a synchronized dance that goes along with it.
Speaker 3: I assumed even though it was a new video, it was an old dance they kind of do to everything.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely the start of the TikTok stuff that we are now hammered with watching all of these kids bounce around with like half full out moves, giving the like the facials they do. It's just this was my I would have rather this version forever than what all the so much of the stuff I see on TikTok Okay.
Speaker 1: So are they were? They good.
Speaker 3: The girl.
Speaker 2: The girls dancing, they were okay. They were soccer players that were dancing. They were perfect for that. Soccer players that were dancing. Girls that are not in dance class, but girls that are just grooven and love this music that you know, same thing as what I think would have been. You know, a group of girls watching in sync back in the days, crackstreet boys picking up on their moves a little bit.
Speaker 1: Here and there. Okay, bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows how to do bye bye bye. That's like a perfect example, ain't no, lie, yes you do bye bye bye. Don't tell me you don't know how.
Speaker 1: It's this one. It's this one.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do know that one. That's what I mean, I actually do.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect example.
Speaker 1: I think Lance taught us that.
Speaker 2: Well, you cannot tell me that you don't know how to do some stuff.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You're not into pop music, but you were still alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I've heard something. Oh I've heard bye Bye Bye all the top. I remember when that video dropped, because that was a huge thing where they were doing like running on trains and doing all that.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I remember, I remember Bye Bye Bye.
Speaker 2: They set this whole thing up like this, and I thought they did a good job. I love the kids dancing. The only thing that really irked me was when they take their cleats, which at least their brand new never used cleats on an actual real field because they're they're costuming, and they hit the mom's couch.
Speaker 1: And slipped the couch over.
Speaker 2: I would have lost my mind.
Speaker 1: If it was all Maddy.
Speaker 2: Oh. That was the only thing that was like, you guys, all right now, we're taking it too far, taking it away too far. Take your cleats off freaking couch.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, Well, cleat shouldn't have been in the house anyway, no matter how fast, even if you're unning in for Jordan's new video. The cleats stay outside, by the way, if they're in the suburbs. If it's either back east or in the middle of the country, there's a mudroom. There's always a mudroom. You take your cleats off in the mudroom. Oh switch, okay, yeah, that's what you do here. We're also introduced to another crappy Disney sibling, which I'm willing to now nickname a Disling.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. I'll show myself out.
Speaker 3: Cooper Cooper is Britney's brother who is always constantly spying, and he's dropping, he's under her bed, he's in the closet.
Speaker 1: He's got a.
Speaker 3: Doctor's stethoscope at one point and is listening through the wall. I mean, I know it's a typical little brother trope, but they take it too creepy places, which she.
Speaker 2: Is me when I was little, my really Yes, my sister was eight years older than me, right, so when I'm eight, she's sixteen. Think about all my imagination of how cool her life was. And I wanted to be in her room all the time, and I hid in there. I would pick whatever lock she'd have, I would go in there. When she was gone, I would search her whole room.
Speaker 1: You were a locksmith by this point already.
Speaker 2: That was later on. That was later on, But at the same time, I really did everything I could to get to get in my sister's room. I just wanted to be with her friends and be around with I didn't want to talk. I just wanted to sit there.
Speaker 1: I guess I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm mad your's my oldest brother's eight years older than me too, so I mean I kind of get that.
Speaker 1: But they he did look a little creepy.
Speaker 2: This scoop was a little bit too. It's a little much, but he was cute. I thought he was cute and quirky, and he was.
Speaker 3: He was, you know, I'm not sure he competes with how bad Robin Lively's character wasn't fuzzbucket, how mean she was, but he's definitely not the chill brother. But then they add which I kind of liked this. Then they add the genius older sister, which is just haven't really seen yet.
Speaker 2: I loved that. We you're right, we have not seen it. And I thought it added a great dimension to her as a you know. Then now she's a middle child, you know, the annoying brother, the sister that just looks like her has set the bar so high you couldn't try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I loved. I did too. I did too.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a cool way to go about it. I also liked that they made her where well you can tell they're different. She still helps her sister out like she drives her places and does that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a horable driver.
Speaker 3: Oh, which is which is very fun. Which is another kind of funny thing they threw in. They they actually seemed to have care added to the character.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and they did it.
Speaker 3: They had very little time to do it, and they gave her enough that it was fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought my brother was actually helpful to later on be a little bit more of like a techie, you know, nerd kind of thing, like he was able to help her, which I thought was great. They were annoying in their own ways, but they were also good siblings. I like that they did kind of a family dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yep, agreed, Agreed, because after.
Speaker 2: Robin Lively, I'm like, are we teaching eveiens that they have to be annoying like this.
Speaker 3: Or the little sister in my day with the president's daughter or any of that, where.
Speaker 2: It's just we're just setting the standard that as a sibling, you're annoying, you're.
Speaker 1: Mean and exact, and that's it. But that luckily we didn't have to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Brittany, of course, staying in the suburbs, sees much bigger things for herself.
Speaker 1: She's a musician, she writes music.
Speaker 3: She's afraid that nothing important is ever going to happen to her, especially you know, she's got a mom who tries to help her with kind of local small time charity kind of yeah, yeah, like saving saving old homes and things like that. But then out of nowhere, a new girl transfers in Natasha. She has set it up that she's lived all over Europe, she's lived in New York. And this is all at the same time that they find out that the dreamiest pop star that everybody loves, Jordan ka Hill, is actually gonna be coming to town to shoot his latest music video. So the suburbs, which are normally quiet, all of a sudden have blown up. You've got a new friend, You've got Jordan k Hill coming. It's pretty amazing. I was going to take this opportunity to ask you what you thought of the fashion at this point, but seeing as you're how you're dressed, I think I know the answer. I doubt you're gonna be like, it was terrible. How does anyone dress like that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So this is obviously costume for me. Yes, I was watching the movie a little cringey at times because it took me back to some of the choices that I was I mean, talk about a tie, sure Dernda wears a tie. I mean, you want luck, you want gloves, tie, a big chunky bell thirteen. You know, bracelets on my wrist, earrings, Barrett's hat, like this time of the of the the TV world of what girls were doing. And it's true. Everyone is over accessorizing, wearing way too much. Disney always seemed to take it up a notch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do, they do.
Speaker 2: The I was cracking up because it's what I wore and a lot of my stuff during the time. When I mean I have When I actually was on screen with Brenda Song and Zach and Cody Sweet Life, I am wearing one of the worst outfits I think I have ever worn.
Speaker 1: Oh I need to see that, please.
Speaker 2: It is awful. I'm wearing probably five different Cheetah prints, and I just have so much going on, and the leggings, with the dress and the skirt and the belt and this and that. It's just too much.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. But it was a lot okay, well.
Speaker 2: And so much color, well fashion right the whole movie.
Speaker 1: Much. It certainly popped like a Disney film.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, Brittany and Natasha dressed in very bright colors with a lot of accessories. Go to where Jordan Cahill is shooting his music video and they're screaming at the top of their lungs to see him. This is really the first time we get to see We saw Jordan at the beginning in a music video and I liked the song. But now we get to see him kind of behind the scenes. We get to see what Jordan's like as an actual person. He's obviously having serious issues with his image and the fact that his record label is controlling everything he does. He has his own lyrics, he wants to sing, He's got his own ideas for how he wants to look, but the powers that be obviously will not let him. So Eddie his assistant as they set up as his pal from way.
Speaker 1: Back back where he grew up.
Speaker 3: Jordan apparently was singing in his basement three years ago and Eddie was his friend and backup singer three years ago. So they set that up because that's going to become important later that Eddie who's now his assistant.
Speaker 2: Also, I did not catch that the first time. Oh yeah, okay, I did not catch that the first time.
Speaker 3: Because if not, really, the ending is they go by it so quick they.
Speaker 1: Do, it's weird.
Speaker 3: So he keeps setting it up to that his whole life is in his phone. Please download everything from my phone. My whole life is in my phone. My whole life is in my phone. My whole life is in my phone. And yet he's never holding his phone. Only as assistant has his phone. So through a random series of events, which is something that I think we're gonna say quite a bit hashtag random series of events on when you're talking about a d com, Eddie and Brittany end up slamming into each eide aving on. It's like he's saying, it's like he's a linebacker and he lowers his shoulder and.
Speaker 1: Takes her out.
Speaker 2: Was he going, why did they have to go so quickly to the bus that was right there? It wasn't even far.
Speaker 3: Like again, he does everything but lower the shoulder and drive into her.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying it was it was a good hit.
Speaker 3: Everything goes everywhere. His bag gets opened, her bag gets opened. Everything goes everywhere, and they switch phones.
Speaker 2: It's obvious, so obvious about what's going to happen. About to happen is obvious.
Speaker 3: As they're frantically, you know that something's gonna get traded.
Speaker 1: But they didn't even attempt to make the phones look even slightly similar.
Speaker 2: No, not black and gray, not muted colors for bright pink. They're not even the same shape long I had that phone when I was fifteen, the longer phone, the Nokia.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then his phone that.
Speaker 2: Was supposed to be like a BlackBerry of some sort.
Speaker 1: They're not even it's not even the same. It's not even the same.
Speaker 2: How you did that?
Speaker 1: No? So that that bumped me.
Speaker 2: I can't he put it on the outside walks in the bus. Don't you think someone would be like, whose phone?
Speaker 1: Is that your bright pink phone? No? So when did you? Yeah, just even even even.
Speaker 3: Make it her phone, but just make it silver silver, or he likes pink, but give him a pink phone too. I mean that works too, It's like it doesn't. So that through me. It was like, at least make the phones look slightly similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the girls find out as Madonna calls that they so first they think it's Eddie's phone. Yeah, and oh, okay, I just want to get I want to get my phone back from Eddie. It's you know, I want his phone that we don't want it, And then Madonna calls and they realize, wait a second, we have Jordan Cahill's.
Speaker 2: Phone, right, I wish that they had revealed.
Speaker 1: This better then Madonna calling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Madonna could have called, but I feel it should have been maybe a miss call. They saw a phone call come in from multiple celebrities, the fact that it was one celebrity, the fact that it was Madonna at that time, Right, I don't know if that's the only one they got clearance of using, or I.
Speaker 1: Think he can use anybody's name.
Speaker 3: Also, I seriously doubt Madonna has a five five to five number.
Speaker 1: I just I just don't believe that's acting.
Speaker 2: Five five numbers just a given though, Right, I can't.
Speaker 1: Be Madonna's numbers. She can't be five five something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I didn't love that. Actual the way they did that, that was kind of they could have done gotten a little bit more creative, I think. But regardless, the girl's reactions to it were so funny.
Speaker 3: Oh, the screaming very and then throwing the phone down very funny, very natural.
Speaker 2: Brenda goes from acting like she doesn't care of any being a huge fan, just a giant fan. And now here's where.
Speaker 1: I get start to get a little thrown.
Speaker 3: Because now they start using the phone to kind of mess with him. Jordan, Yes, they think they're doing the good like a good thing, but they call his hairdresser at one point to have all of his hair cut off, because of course, if you're an international pop star, you're going to go to a random hair salon in the suburbs.
Speaker 1: You're not going to carry your own have your own hair people.
Speaker 3: There, and then you're also not going to notice that they're cutting off all.
Speaker 1: Of your hair out.
Speaker 3: I don't know how as a former long hair holder, I'm gonna know if they're cutting off nine inches of my hair.
Speaker 2: That was Natasha though, need to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't just get what they're doing.
Speaker 2: It's it's I think it's just to kind of create mischief. She kind of challenges her. Natasha challenges Brittany, you constantly talk about having this boring life. Here's an opportunity to make it fun to do this. And she's not a great friend to push someone into doing things that you know you're gonna regret. But it's really Natasha kind of pushing for that. Okay, fun when you're in junior high having fun usually comes along with mischief. Okay that most teachers in the world do not ever want to teach those grades because those kids are just sorry, guys, you're jerks at that age. I'm sure I was. You're just a jerk. You find any reason to just cause mischief.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll buy that. I'm gonna that's a good I think that's a good a good reason, so I'll buy that. But they so they do.
Speaker 3: They start like they have him cut off his hair, they start changing his wardrobe, They get his girlfriend to break up with him. I mean, at one point, she picks up the phone and without fully saying I'm dating him now, is like, oh no, this is Brittany, that's a bad time for you to come into town.
Speaker 1: He already has plans. I mean, she's kind of insinuating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a typical junior high little that's high school.
Speaker 1: That's harsh.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm gonna go ahead and say, in your twenties, even just a joke, move to do, you know, like you know you're trying to And at this point she is battling because she wants her phone back, but she also is wanting to meet Jordan. Really they should have just made it happen right, figured.
Speaker 1: Out a way.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile, she's also she had her little we talked about her little brother helping Her little brother helped her break into the phone, and she's found out again.
Speaker 1: Because Brittany has no boundaries whatsoever.
Speaker 3: She's also reading his personal lyrics and she likes his lyrics better than the lyrics that are out there, and she also writes lyrics, so she's kind of learning that he's a real person while doing everything she can to destroy his life. At the same time, they have dogs delivered to him, So that's the strange thing that's happening, is everything they're doing to him, cutting off his hair, changing his clothes. There it turns out that he's actually liking it because he feels like, in a way, even though somebody else is doing it all, he's taking control back a little bit over his life.
Speaker 2: And he's because it's going against everything that his management has been forcing him to do yes for what it looks like years.
Speaker 3: It also gets her to start really focusing on her own lyrics. And I'm sorry if I'm going to ruin a Sabrina ses if this is the Sabrina Sees, But can you tell me why every time they cut to her lyrics, the title is fine, but all of the words are blurred out.
Speaker 1: Did you notice that?
Speaker 3: No, So go back and look on the notebook. Every time they cut to it, you can see the title, but they have digitally blurred out the lyrics of the song Rah intentionally they did it to or three.
Speaker 2: You could literally take this segment away and starting with.
Speaker 3: No, it's I would never do that, but it's yeah, they I mean, they're fully blur.
Speaker 2: I really only think I paid attention to it the first time around when she first wrote it, and I didn't notice.
Speaker 1: It, then okay, yeah, we'll have to see if it was the first time.
Speaker 2: But her song really didn't draw it for you.
Speaker 3: The sea of the Sea of wherever, on an island of misfit toys or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: It was a line. It was a good line.
Speaker 3: Brittany is also losing herself after ditching her friends. She's starting to lose a little bit of who she was and becoming a little more like Natasha and yes, dressing much like you are a dressed now and caught up in kind of controlling Jordan's life, and all of a sudden, then she decides to fully after hacking into the celebrity cell phone getting his girlfriend and break up with them.
Speaker 1: Doing all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Now she's going to go for straight blackmail and essentially says, if you want the phone back, he's got to perform. You've got she's talking to Eddie, You've got to get Jordan to perform at the.
Speaker 1: Save the old House.
Speaker 2: The house that no one would ever care about. I hate to say, they didn't understood why they should have made it house. She grew up like I did the mom care about this house. Maybe that's because I don't have something like that in my area, something that would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I grew up with those.
Speaker 3: But the lyric from the seventeen hundreds and a President slept it was something I think they kind of said, like they thought one of the presidents.
Speaker 1: Stuff there, but they didn't really.
Speaker 2: There was a rumor, there was a writ about it when they were doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Natasha and Brittany end up getting into a fight. We find out Natasha was actually lying about living in Europe and all the things that she's kind of done. She and Brittany go back and forth at each other. They get into a fight, which leads to one out of seventy three montages that were actually in this movie. There's lots of this movie that were there to remind us of something that just happened ten minutes ago, right, so we could have cut I think one.
Speaker 1: Or two of the montages, if I'm honest.
Speaker 2: My favorite was the ice cream bone happening on the bike.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it was just kind of strange.
Speaker 3: Again, through a random series of events hashtag random series of events, the record execs have started to track his phone, which they could have done at the beginning, and are on their way to go find it, and so the girls are kind of on the run. But at the same time, now Jordan realized his phone has gone and started calling his number, and so he and Brittany have struck up a friendship and he's going to meet her in town and she's going to take him to the save.
Speaker 2: The random house that no one cares about option.
Speaker 3: Event, and so we learn more about him as a person. He was kind of from a very similar town.
Speaker 2: Did you hold your breath the second when he said he was from here? I don't tell me this kid is from the same time, and she had no idea when she knows right, and thank god that's not how it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought the same thing. I was like other not g it's like, yeah, it was your neighbor. Didn't you remember your brother? Baby Like yeah, no, So luckily.
Speaker 3: I mean she knew everything about this guy, yes, but yeah, So they meet up, they trade phones again, he decides that he wants to actually help her and sing at the event. He grabs her guitar. He makes one chord that's not actually a chord. He has no microphone. There's a band somewhere, and he plays a song at the end, and it's clear that Tarren had no idea how to play the guitar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is true.
Speaker 1: It's you know, and he was in this movie, and I.
Speaker 2: Know we're going to get a chance to chat with him, but we are. We're gonna have to ask him about how that happened and how he felt.
Speaker 1: How did that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it went down.
Speaker 3: And so then we get to what can only be described as the wildly confusing end of this film, which is, so the.
Speaker 1: Girls are so he does.
Speaker 3: The concert at the auction house.
Speaker 1: We don't know if the house is saved, but we assume that it is.
Speaker 3: They never actually tell us that the girls are now phone friends with Jordan, who's back in New York performing his own music and ideas, but matching the beginning of the movie, they're in soccer uniforms again and they run in to see the new video.
Speaker 1: You turn it on.
Speaker 3: They're the backup dancers, but the new pop singer is Eddie, the assistant to Jordan.
Speaker 1: So my question for you is, uh huh, you didn't follow that? No? I so so at.
Speaker 2: The beginning when they were going to meet him, you know, that's the first time. Natasha is how many to see this, this Jordan situation? And the whole point is they were trying the beginning part was to try to get on this new video to be backup dancers on.
Speaker 1: Right in the very beginning on Jordan's thing.
Speaker 3: But how is now Eddie the star and doing the pop star thing which Jordan's he didn't do?
Speaker 2: And what Eddie was the star until I watched back and we talked about earlier today that that he was on it. He was with Jordan's singing.
Speaker 3: So Jordan gave up his pop career and is starting from scratch.
Speaker 1: And Eddie liked it. Eddie liked what Morning.
Speaker 3: He's okay with singing someone else's lyrics and doing everything else, yes, but the label hated him though didn't the label hate him.
Speaker 2: I don't know was that explained then? I missed that.
Speaker 1: The whole thing just seemed very strange.
Speaker 2: It was strange.
Speaker 3: Why not do a different Jordan Cahill, like, it's clearly Jordan's lyrics that we know they're Jordan's lyrics, and they're in that vision in it.
Speaker 2: Just getting to be a part of the audience or something, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The audience, or you show him where he's now dressed. He's not like a pop star at all. All that kind of it.
Speaker 2: Felt to me. It was the way Disney was trying to find their button, right, the y end thing that brings the beginning, It was the way they were trying to find their button. The girls danced in their soccer uniforms the first time now and I love that dance and this.
Speaker 1: I think you should have just done it with Jordan. It should have just been Jordan.
Speaker 3: It should have a new version of Jordan's that they're in his all his.
Speaker 2: Dreams coming true, who he wanted to be as an artist and they're getting to They're need to.
Speaker 1: Share that because they helped to create the new Jordan.
Speaker 3: They helped them find himself totally, and so they get to be as opposed to just so they it seemed like the label fired him. I don't know, we should do some real reviews, and I think I'm going to do the five star this time if that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love it last time. So the first five star review is from Banana Ana.
Speaker 2: Banana Anna, my daughter loved.
Speaker 3: Your movie and wanted me to tell you that the absence of drinking, smoking, and drugs is really great. She's currently working on a Girl Scout badge called High on Life, which asked her to view three shows movies and rate their quality based in the presence or absence of all references to drinking, smoking, and drugs.
Speaker 1: Your movie was one of her favorite choices.
Speaker 3: She would like you to know that she can't wait until you make another movie that is free from substance abuse. Thank you, Banana Anna for your five star review.
Speaker 2: Banana and I totally agree, and I agree with everything you're talking about. But that had nothing to do with this movie.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just they're saying, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, such of the movie that was that wasn't it just wasn't that. You're gonna buy that on any Disney Channel movie? Did she do we need to buy Nana Hanna's for all other movies.
Speaker 3: If I remember Cheetah Girls with just you guys drinking and doing drugs for an hour.
Speaker 2: Don't you dare?
Speaker 1: I remember you guys just rolling.
Speaker 3: Up the weed.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I understand to do a review like this about something that was was pinpointing that message. But to me, this one's kind of just I love. Yeah, I don't know anyway, the one star this name is just makes me. This is teenage drama, rama at its finest. It comes from Unconditional Love. Yes, I found the film a bit predictable and boring, but I'm fourteen, okay. I was really annoyed with my little cousin as she was very hyper that day, so I saw a film on the Disney Channel and put it on and told her to watch it. It is definitely a film for if you are seriously bored or ten and under. It calmed my cousin down, although all she did was sing for the rest of the day. Then sorry, Unconditional Love.
Speaker 1: That's a great review too. Are well, we are not going to move to a new feature, okay?
Speaker 3: Then I think is going to be a little bit of fun and we're calling it pixel imperfect much love it. As we said, the soundtrack is Stuck in the Suburbs actually charted on the Billboard top two hundred with a handful of songs by quote unquote Jordan Cahill, which was not actually the voice of Taran Killum or his guitar playing, as we mentioned.
Speaker 1: So we're going to get.
Speaker 3: Four examples of lyrics and we have to decide if this is from one of Jordan Cahill's actual songs in the soundtrack or no, something created by AI when Ai big brother when asked to create cheesy pop lyrics from two thousand and four. So here's the first one. Now, i'd like to point out we do not know the answer to this. We are going to be getting the answer as we go. As you are, we have the our producers swear did not tell us the answer. So here's the first one. Number one, you make a wish on a star and believe in your heart you can be anything that you want to be.
Speaker 1: What do you think is that AI or is that from the that's got to be a I. I'm going to agree with you. I think that's a I. I think it's too basic. So I think that's a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't rhyme.
Speaker 1: I think, Jordan k Hill is that.
Speaker 3: We're already over one. All right, okay, so second, so take my hand. Let's fly away to a world will love or always stay. We're unstoppable like a runaway train. I would say, Jordan Kale, but now I think that's gonna be a I unstoppable like a runaway train.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's very Disney.
Speaker 2: It is very Disney. So take my hand. Let's fly away. I mean you're talking. You're right up Aladdin there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to a world where love will always stay. We're unstoppable like a runaway train. Oh, I think yeah, okay, Jordan Ai, Jordan k h that's a computer. We're over to thank you, producer, just over to in the number three. You can get one right in this symphony will make our mark. You're the melody that's singing in my heart.
Speaker 1: Gotta be Ai.
Speaker 2: No, that's Jordan.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say Ai. You're gonna say Jordan, Okay, it's.
Speaker 3: A I yeah, one right, I go one right, I am one four? Three?
Speaker 1: You are still oh for three?
Speaker 2: Do we just talk about what?
Speaker 1: And the last one? Number four?
Speaker 3: Take a chance, take a risk, hope is where the magic is, make all your dreams come true. That's Jordan Klee, right, is that right? From the first song take a chance, take a risk?
Speaker 1: Hope is with the magic is not the song?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think, so okay, that's Jordan. I'm wildly happy.
Speaker 1: You remember the song that is Jordan Kle and wow yees so I'm fifty you're one four? That was fun? And what else was fun?
Speaker 3: Let's do some Sabrina seas.
Speaker 2: Let's see all right, so I already talked about the soccer shoes. That really one of the first things. Though. From the very second this movie starts and the girls are screaming and chiming and all of the cringing that that young girls do, I just started instantly going, oh gosh, that's gonna be me ten years. Oh gosh, I need to get a partition in my car, I think, is what I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 3: So, like a limo driver, you can press a button in the window comes a solid window comes up.
Speaker 2: Parents already feel like at that age anyway, taking them from soccer to ballet to piano glasses, it's you might as well be a limo driver. Why not just get a partition and just be able to jam out to your music.
Speaker 1: I think you've already got the hat for it.
Speaker 2: I've already got the hat. My next one, there was more, but I'm gonna go through the next one. When Brenda's song makes her entrance in the school. In the school was the most obvious. She was on a platform that had wheels under it, and as she's gliding, she is not really the Beyonce moment, the winds blowing through her hair.
Speaker 1: She's yes, she.
Speaker 2: Is the new cool girl on campus, but she's somehow on a motorized cart was taking her down. That was Yeah, they should have had that under just a nice um.
Speaker 1: That one was pretty good, good one.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing. This is more of a question. Do you think that the stalker van situation with the adult men chasing after the women would happen in twenty twenty four Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 3: Well no, I mean I think, well, first of all, don't you think it looked.
Speaker 2: Very creepy and it's super inappropriate? Oh, I think what they were doing twenty four.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing, though, I think here's how I justified it in my head. They weren't the adults, especially because Eddie never fessed up they weren't chasing the girls.
Speaker 1: They were chasing the phone.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they'd never I don't think Eddie said go get the phone.
Speaker 1: I think he even says at one point chase her.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, No, They're supposed to be the wacky kind of villains in the in the vein of like the two old guy or the two older burglars breaking in and home alone, you know that kind of thing. So I think it's more wacky bumbling burglar after phone is what they were going for.
Speaker 1: But no, it probably would not happen now.
Speaker 2: But then again, as a mama bear, now, yeah, yeah, I'm sure if I had seen this movie back then, or even ten years ago, I've only been a mom for three so probably even five years ago I wouldn't have thought of it. But now it's I get you it just as a cridge Worthy mama a moment.
Speaker 3: I also thought this movie frankly, this is another one of the films where I'm starting to realize and of course this isn't of course moment for me where I was like, well, of.
Speaker 1: Course, duh.
Speaker 3: But I don't know why I thought d coms were more pointed at people in high school there obviously weren't.
Speaker 1: They're pointed out.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't need to realize that this was supposed to be. I thought they were high schoolers. That That's why the one of my first things is why her friend's so young. I thought they was in high school. It wasn't until the second time I watched it that that I realized they were in middle school.
Speaker 1: Middle school, so that's where they're all young.
Speaker 2: Where they're filming looks more like a high school than in middle it does. But every time that we have this issue, last but not least, I have to say this, shout out to Drew Seely. He's the one that was the voice for Jordan. I know him well. He was on my BU soundtrack. He was also he did the song Dance with Me in the second Cheetah Girls movie. He's an incredible singer and great guy and he gets at which I was so excited. He was the front desk clerk at the hotel when they're trying to get up to see true get it.
Speaker 4: I did not know.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. And you did a great job with singing and acting super excitingly.
Speaker 3: Well, then let's rate the movie then that's where we are at the rating portion. So well, let's do one out of ten phones with internet blonde highlights, ties and skirts and trucker hats, assistant music videos or.
Speaker 1: High on life girls scout badges.
Speaker 3: I'd also like to add actual singer cameos because I did not know.
Speaker 4: I was there.
Speaker 2: I want to let you choose this time. I got to choose the last one.
Speaker 3: I think just because of what it is, I think we should do one out of ten blond highlights.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it should be. So I think I started last time. Uh huh you so you tell me what? What do you think?
Speaker 1: One out of ten?
Speaker 2: Because I found myself literally getting lost in it and just enjoying it, I'm going to give it an eight Soliday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna be I'm right around there. I'm going to give it.
Speaker 3: There were some issues I had story wise and things like that. Never gonna not be able to get around that. So but I'm I'm solid seven point five. Yeah, I mean, this was it was enjoyable.
Speaker 1: It was what it was. I get it.
Speaker 3: The music was catchy, uh, the acting was good, it was bright, it was fun. I could have done with a few less montages and some story stuff at the end didn't make.
Speaker 1: A whole lot of sense, But uh, seven point five to eight, I agree with you. Not a bad movie. And we are not actually done.
Speaker 3: Being stuck in the suburbs right now, because we get to speak with Arren Killum over on our magical rewind feed dropping on Monday. But you're gonna get to hear a little piece of it now, so let's jump into that real quick.
Speaker 4: It was very interesting because the first half of my shoot had I had like these actual hair extensions in right, they like hot hair, they hot glued hair into it, and like at the time, I'm living in a in an apartment with like three of my college buddies, Like it's just in this disgusting like bachelor pad and I come home with you, and they just gave me so much for them.
Speaker 3: And that interview, which was so much fun, is going to be dropping on Monday on our magical rewind feed, so go and check it out because Tarren had some great insight into playing Jordan K.
Speaker 1: Hill, the Blonde Tipped amazing teen Idol himself teen Idol, very very fun.
Speaker 3: So thank you all for joining us as we were stuck in the suburbs and remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine.
Speaker 1: So join us next time as we continue our dcom journey. Thanks everybody, later,