Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Tours at.
Speaker 1: The Star in Frisco, tag Burgers, He's Dot Ti Ta Ty Content touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Guys, it's still a say It with your Chest Friday, but it's just a little bit less of a say it with.
Speaker 3: Your Chest Friday.
Speaker 2: After the Cowboys fall forty four to thirty the final score in Week fourteen, Welcome into Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the s WBC studio. Welcome in, everybody. We've got Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah stand Back, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's Cowboys fall to six six and one and their playoff hopes take a severe hit, a severe dash to the end, and with one month remaining, they're not out of it mathematically, but man, they're gonna need a lot of help from here on out. And you got to win pretty much everything else from here on out in order to do so. So I'll open the floor forty four to thirty. It wasn't pretty in any phase. There were a lot of mistakes on any phase of the imagination of this one offense, defense, special teams.
Speaker 3: Patrick. Since you were in the building at Ford Field, I will.
Speaker 2: And since you had to get up early this morning to be on the charter flight to get back here, I'm gonna let you start.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what you're excited about it. This is a bad game. No, this is a bad game.
Speaker 4: But Josh and I for all the sneaker heads, they know we just got to drop this one. And we successfully acquired the Diamond Turfs Dim Cowboys color Wow. So we were waiting for the nine am drop got them and get them breakfast right today?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 4: All right, So to the Cowboys, Yeah, where do you start when there are so many places that you can start? I mean, we talked about how the defense looked different coming out of the bow week, and they most certainly did, so we're not going to take anything away from that, But we also talked about how this was going to be the test for them. Now we didn't know going into this game if Amo Rod Saint Brown would play or not. Not only did he not only did he play, but Dan Campbell made sure that the Cowboys understood he was going to be a big part of the game plan from the word go okay. They didn't have an answer for him. They didn't have an answer for Jamison Williams, and they absolutely did not have an answer for Jamiir Gibbs. Now we sat here on this at this panel and we say that you know, Jamier Gibbs, He's going to get his every once in a while. Boy, it turns out every once in a while is far more often than I would have liked to see. They couldn't cover him in space at all, which goes on the struggles.
Speaker 3: At the linebacker corps.
Speaker 4: Not going to just yet start pointing out names, we just know the linebacker corps as a whole struggled mightily last night against Jamier Gibbs, David Montgomery. You know, not that David Montgomery had a fantastic game, but the play that he had. When you look at that play and break it down, ironbacker Corps, going back to that flip it to the offensive side of the ball for the Cowboys, and shouts out to Ceedee Lamb because he had the bounce back game on Thanksgiving against the Chiefs, So then it was about stacking those kinds of days. He was taking the Lions out back and beating them to within an inch of their life. They had no answer for Ceedee Lamb before he got knocked out with that concussion. Knocked out of the game, I should say, with that concussion. Once he got knocked out of the game, that concussion, Cowboys had no offense. That was pretty much that you got to see more from George Pickens. We'll get to that. I'm quite sure you know. Javonte Williams, he did what he could. Man your offensive line got manhandled. I mean that's just absolutely manhandled.
Speaker 3: That's the problem in my eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, huge, just And I want to go ahead and just blame Isaiah standback because I told you not to piss off Aiight Hutchison. I told you, I said leave that damn bear alone. Didn't I say it? But did you do it? No?
Speaker 3: You did not?
Speaker 4: Eight Hunchson ten pressures ten ten? How many pressures did they have on the on the whole twenty eight and had half of them? Man, Oh my god, I gave Terryce Steel rightful praise for handleling Max Crosby. He deleted Jalen Phillips, that interior with Tyler Booker, they handled Chris Jones. And here came another test with Aiden Hutchison and eight Hutchison said, I heard tell somebody said I was not in peak for him anymore. He went out there and he showed that he was. So now we're back to wondering what's going on with the tackles, because you know, in Tyler Guiden's absence, now I've seen another bad outing from Nate Thomas. I'll go back to what I said three weeks ago, two three weeks ago when Nate Thomas went in when Tyler got and left with injury, and Nate Thomas did not have a good showing at all. Nate Thomas can be a serviceable swing tackle when you need him to step in from time to time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But for.
Speaker 4: Those that are saying he's your full time guy, you're seeing why he's not your full time guy. And that's not to beat up on Nate Thomas because again Terry Steele had a bad game. I saw Tyler Smith missing a couple right the whole line right.
Speaker 3: The whole line struggled.
Speaker 4: So, I mean Dak was under siege last night. I'm just thankful that you know, QB one left in one piece, because you wondering.
Speaker 3: If he was going to a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Jake Ferguson, he wants to take this tape and set it on fire. There's probably I don't want to be a prison of recency buying that you guys will. And I think this was the worst game I've ever seen from jke FB. I think so OPI call, yeah, it sucked. It was egregiously bad. That's that helped turn the game. That's not why you lost the game. When you see Jake Ferguson on third and forever and he gets a check down on third and forever, and I get the effort, but there are three or four guys on you. You're not going to break three or four guys off of you and run for another twelve yards. You're not doing that. Just take the lower case L instead. It turns into a capital L because it's fumble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't. What did they do? Wasn't that the That was the David Montgomery touchdown that came after the Ferguson bumble yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Fergie with the hands of the face that deleted the DPI downfield.
Speaker 5: It was all bad Josh's I think if you're a detroit you probably saw a lot of weaknesses in the Cowboys in terms of physicality and being able to run to the ball and take advantage of them sort of giving up when the play is over. The play isn't over until the whistle. You hear the whistle, and in a lot of those cases, Cowboys failed. You had a lot of Dallas Cowboys players individually that had really bad performances from players that you would not ordinarily see in my opinion, I mean, you've seen ups and downs this year from Deron Bland. This is one of his worst games. I feel like this is one of the worst games from Kenneth Murray, who has struggled in and out during the season. Terrence Steele and Nate Thomas. My goodness, what a terrible game for those two. And it's something that you would expect them to have a better game, knowing what is on the line here and just in.
Speaker 3: Every facet those guys got whooped.
Speaker 5: It's unfortunate because you expect more out of them, even though Nate Thomas is backup. I mean, we're talking about if he should be competing for Tyler Giton's number one spot. So that feels very unfortunate. Jake Ferguson, Like you said, there were just so many individual performances. George Pickens. George Pickens a guy that we've championed this whole season so far, and still to me, it's no doubt that he's also a number one receiver along with Ceedee Lamb. To me, there's no question about it. But the effort was in question yesterday. But I feel like the Lions did a good job of saying Ceedee Lamb and George Pickens are not going to kill us, even though Ceedee Lamb for a large part was killing him.
Speaker 3: But you had him frustrated.
Speaker 5: You were frustrating them enough to where they felt like, all right, fine, you know, they kind of backed off in their fundamentals and they were pressing.
Speaker 3: So you felt that a lot.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got to be happy for Ryan Flinoy, who had a great game all things considered, but you really really needed one of George Pickens yesterday and you just didn't get it. And even Dak for a large part. I mean, you got to be able to understand where the pressure is. If your tackles are not helping you, you got to throw it away. Man, don't take take the lowercase L. Do not take the capital l's. And that's what happened quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I thought there were a couple of times where he had no finish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was still in the middle of that final plant, but was gone.
Speaker 5: Are we to say that he performed exactly how you would expect Dak Prescott to play in a game where, yes, he played exactly how you wanted to think he played.
Speaker 3: That DA had listen, all right, let's let's talk. You please talk, QB.
Speaker 5: Tell me.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm really frustrated. I'm really frustrated.
Speaker 6: I sat here and going. I mentioned this last week, I said going, or this week, I said going. Before watching the film, I thought that Dallas was going to take an L because physically, Detroit has always posed a major threat to Dallas, and they always beat up Dallas.
Speaker 3: They pumped, they punked Dallas. They just they punked them.
Speaker 2: Even in the game that Dallas won two years ago in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Three, they were arguably the more physical team, so that was remember I said, I said, I fear that Dallas would get beat up.
Speaker 3: But after watching the film.
Speaker 6: Based upon the matchups and based upon what they proposed in terms of their schemes, I felt like Dallas should win this ball game. But physically I was always concerned that stayed true. Dallas got physically beat up. They got punked once again. They obviously stepped on the same field with the same opportunity. One team played with energy, the other team played with no energy. One team continue to fight back and get back in the game. But even when they fight and get back in the game, you had no sense of confidence because they weren't playing with confidence in terms of effectiveness and execution. We sat there on the pregame show and Kyle posed a question to Nate Berry.
Speaker 3: And myself, and he asked, if you were.
Speaker 6: Going to shut down Dallas's offense, what would you do if you're going to shut down this tandem? And I said, I would play two men. I would get up at the line of scrimmage. I would sit on the inside hip pocket. I would contest them at the line of scrimmage, and then I would sit underneath their hip all the game long, with the safety over the top.
Speaker 3: What did they do two men the entire time?
Speaker 6: I also said, if they choose to do that, then you have to go to Jake Ferguson because this defense plays base defense. They don't really change much, and they're gonna have a linebacker on one of your highest paid players on your team.
Speaker 2: And they did that all night long, as alone, all night long was covering Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 6: As alone shouldn't be able to hold Jake Ferguson's tidy whities, right, you can. You can complain about the OPI, you can complain about the DPI, you complain about all the times he got It doesn't matter that matchup did not get highlighted enough. Let's just say that, Okay, they did not take advantage of that. I told you sitting there. I don't know, Colle's probably tired of me talking at the game, but I literally sat there. I said, if i'm Dak Prescott, I'm going to Jake. Once I recognize the defense that they're running, I'm saying, I'm throwing you the ball every single time the change until they change.
Speaker 3: Catch the dog on ball.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: We knew it was gonna be contested. Everything was gonna be contested. This is a sicky team. They're fight. They're gonna fight to the lights out. Offensive line was trash.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna makes offensive line was absolutely trash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about Dak and his ability, you know, sometimes to throw it away.
Speaker 3: Dak was pressured many times.
Speaker 6: He was sacked five times on forty seven dropbacks, twenty five times out of forty seven passes.
Speaker 3: This dude was under duress. You can't do anything as a quarterback with that. I can't.
Speaker 6: I'm looking on the outside. Obviously, I'm getting the ball to cdcd's doing his thing. Okay, even contested catches, amazing catches with my CD. He goes out the game with a concussion. Okay, boom, I have another number one. He's gonna step up. No, he's jogging. Call it what it is. He's jogging. There's no way he can watch this film and dispute anything that anybody on TV or a period right now is saying. He was jogging on routes, he was short arming routes, he was not giving a full effort on a lot of things that we can point to in that game. That's not what people want to see out of your one B receiver. He has to check himself on that. There's no disputing, no disputing its old line was absolutely booboo. Javonte Williams did what he did what he could do with what he was given. Defensively, he tried to I couldn't be more frustrated this defense. I'm not going to call out names right now. There's some people who shouldn't be out there. Some guys from in terms of their execution shouldn't be out there. Some guys based upon their physical abilities right now shouldn't be out there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Do you have much of a choice based upon the guys that you have with that depth? Ah, I don't know, but maybe you might want to put them in a better position. But I do know that a Manros Saint Brown versus fourteen yards off with a safety guarding him.
Speaker 3: Is probably not going to stop him.
Speaker 6: Putting Donovan Wilson fourteen yards away from Momara Saint Brown's probably not.
Speaker 3: A good scheme. And that was on first intent, first and tent, and that was on multiple occasions.
Speaker 6: Okay, just playing off, it's literally passed just routes on air, just like if you get to the game early and you watch teams warm up.
Speaker 3: That's what a Mona Saint Brown did majority of the night. He didn't have a contested catches. These are routes on air.
Speaker 6: Jamison Williams fastest man on the field, no matter what field he steps on, no matter what opponent. Why is Marquis Bell playing manned man on him. One of your slowest dbs is playing against the fastest man on the field. Schematically, that makes zero sense to me. I'm not even gonna talk about execution. I don't I'm not mad at Marque's Bell. He doesn't stand a chance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he doesn't stand put in the position to.
Speaker 3: Be successful exactly, doesn't stand that.
Speaker 6: That's a scheme law. That's a scheme thing. So playing off of Alamara Saint Brown is a scheme issue. Playing zone defense and backing off eight yards of freaking Jamier Gibbs when he lines up at receiver is the scheme problem. There was scheme issues, there were executions issues. There was issues across the board. I can go all day long, but those are some of the things that were glaring in my eyes. We could talk about the Jay Ferguson fumble, the effort there, it's hard. I'm frustrated. Yet he fumbled, so did George Pickens. We just happened to fall on it. You know a lot of things that are occurring that have to be cleaned up. Obviously, this game you couldn't afford to lose. They did lose it refrustrated or the one positive that you could take away is that Dak didn't it hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's still available.
Speaker 2: I mean, even Ceedee Lamb being out in George Pickens pride.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is, but there were a lot of different than Brandon Aubrey. Brandon Aubrey, I gotta give him hell, Yeah, kept in the game.
Speaker 6: Brandon Aubrey kept single handily kept you kept.
Speaker 3: You get across the literally fifteen and we sat there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a one possession game at twenty seven nineteen without Brandon Aubrey get across the fifties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, and you can see that Dallas.
Speaker 6: I don't want to project, I'm going to assume right based upon what I saw, it felt as if Dallas was satisfied getting across the fifty and saying we have Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 3: That's what it felt like. Dude. Sure it did, and we've seen that happen before.
Speaker 2: We've seen that happen previously with another coaching staff that was here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's happened before and characteristic.
Speaker 2: When your safety blanket becomes your game plan, that's a problem. And that's kind of what it ultimately felt like. And I'm not gonna like you said, I'm not gonna projected they were trying to go and score touchdowns. Should get a twisted whatever they call a play period, it's to try and score a touchdown.
Speaker 3: That's just how football works.
Speaker 2: However, Brandon Aubrey absolutely a weapon. I think my number one takeaway from this game is the way that the defense did not continue the momentum from the three games prior because they were put in bad situations. Don't get me wrong, y'all have talked about offense, You've talked about defense. You've talked about the positives of the special teams. How about the fact that Detroit averaged a starting field position of forty two yard line outside of the final kneel down in the game. According to sources, that is not good. No, it is not. That means you only have to go fifty eight yards per drive to score fifty eight yards instead of seventy five or seventy or sixty five, All of those things across.
Speaker 3: The board are certainly that's not good. Is that helpful when you're eighty percent conversion at risk? Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: It is not helpful at all. So they were put in a bad spot. Takeaways, the fumble from Jake Ferguson, the interception at the beginning of the third quarter, Both of those things hurt you tremendously. And it almost hurts you again as you talked about with the fumble in the red zone with George Pickens. So we talk about complimentary offense a lot or complimentary football a lot is what I right. This was anti complimentary. This was hurt full football. Your special teams hurt your defense, then your offense hurt your defense, then your defense hurts your offense, and then it just all kind of fell apart, and you.
Speaker 3: Were absolutely so.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time looking at this game and looking at this film and saying Detroit handled you. They did physically, don't get me wrong. And I give a lot of credit to Dan Campbell for getting these guys up and ready to play. They had lost two of three coming in, and there were a lot of things on the line for Detroit just as much as there was for Dallas. However, Dallas shot themselves in the foot consistently, over and over and over again. And there were things that Detroit did better than Dallas, but there are a lot of things Dallas left on the table.
Speaker 3: And that's the most frustrating.
Speaker 4: Listen, you guys, uh some excellent points, Kyle. You lost to yourself absolutely you talk about the Cowboys schematics now, execution issues were absolutely there again your linebackers, and not necessarily to Marvey on over shown, but some of your other linebackers, like Jared Goff threw four three hundred and nine yards and a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a solid stat line, a solid stat line.
Speaker 4: Okay, two hundred and fifty yards of those, including that touchdown, came when the Cowboys were in zone coverage. Cowboys ran zone coverage eighty six percent of the time. Yeah, and Jerick Goff just sat back there and decimated. You said, how much eighty six percent of the time.
Speaker 2: If I got an eighty six on a test, I'd get like ice cream after after the test my way home.
Speaker 3: Can I just point to something?
Speaker 6: No, see, while you're pointing out the zone, because you guys know, I hate zone. I was literally about to throw something through the telestrator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had to hold them back.
Speaker 6: Bro Listen, fourth quarter, you're down by eight one possession, correct, just one. You literally are in a position to get off the field, get the ball back to your offense as bad as you're playing, as bad as you're playing, and you play seventy two yards off.
Speaker 3: And you allow them to get in field goal range.
Speaker 6: That drive, in particular, I was about to lose my mind. You are three downs away from getting the ball back into Dak Prescott's hands to have an opportunity to tie the game up when your team is playing terrible, and you back up schematically, you back up and say go ahead and get.
Speaker 3: In field goal range and make it a two possession game.
Speaker 6: I can't comprehend it. I legit. We can point to a lot of different things. Let's talk about that drive. I need to understand what is the thought process to play twelve yards off when you only need when they only need to get balled ten to fifteen yards further down the field to kick a field goal and put this game out of reach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first time we've seen that this season either.
Speaker 6: And I'm talking to Kyle and I'm like, what about situational football is not getting across that. This is a time and place in the game where you go to that call sheet and you're like, these five plays that I mapped out is for this situation right here. These are my five plays that I have. These are my go getters, These are my break glass and area I need to play right now. You don't have five plays, you don't have one.
Speaker 3: Like that drove me crazy. It made no sense.
Speaker 6: You were so close, like this game was right there, and you backed up and you gave it to them.
Speaker 3: Take it. You just take it here. You can have it, routes on air, take it. Maybe you'll drop the ball.
Speaker 2: The same thing happened at the end of the second quarter too, after you kick the field goal prior to halftime, inside the two minute time out, playing so far off that they easily walked down the field forty seconds, easily walked down the field and kicked the field goals and just completely negated everything you had done to that point.
Speaker 3: That's easy he did. He was trying, man. Yeah, it was a This was a tough one.
Speaker 2: When we come back here on talking Cowboys, I want to hear from Patrick Nosey Walker. We got a little lab coat, we got a makeup. We do coming in grum.
Speaker 3: We'll grumble, grumble, grumble. Get some stats.
Speaker 2: After this, we'll continue to break down the Cowboys forty four thirty loss to the Detroit Lions when we come back with more after this.
Speaker 8: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment. And you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 7: We're with you.
Speaker 8: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 3: We're with you.
Speaker 4: Where are united.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a.
Speaker 3: Bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 3: I'm home.
Speaker 4: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, can you ahon? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 3: Here's your wine. Wow? Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident.
Speaker 3: PAC ten more towers strictions exclusion apply. Att dot Com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 4: How's it going you see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 3: Oh? I watched. I've been seeing some good things totally.
Speaker 4: They have some talent, You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping.
Speaker 3: This is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go. Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 7: Bank?
Speaker 3: Of America, the Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, where your Cowboys geared to a Black Rifle Coffee location get ten percent off your entire order. I hope you did it yesterday. I hope you got it done all right. Cowboys do not get it done forty four thirty. They get forty burgers put on that Cowboys defense. And I give a lot of credit to that, to the offense too, the Cowboys offense for allowing that to happen in the Special Teams unit. Not complimentary football to say the least. Now, Patrick, we didn't get to do it on Tuesday because it was a loaded show.
Speaker 3: Short week.
Speaker 4: We had the greatness of QB visions. We certainly did popcorn.
Speaker 2: But you know what time it is, bring me in and be mur yes, science.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, it's time for lab coat. So a couple of points here on lab coote one flies right to the heart of what Isaiah is saying.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: I was stated once again, the Cowboys ran zone eighty seven percent of the time last night Jarreed Goff had two hundred and fifty of his three hundred and nine passing yards and his only passing touchdown when the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Ri in zone. Let's expound upon that just really quickly.
Speaker 4: Isaiah is talking about the Cowboys being in third and long situations, sometimes even second and long situations and playing all the way back like I mean, they were in all of it. They were in Texas trying to stop, you know, a third and.
Speaker 3: Eight lake erie.
Speaker 4: Jered Goff just took everything that they gave. And we talk a lot about taking what the defense gives you, well, the Cowboys defense was given him all of it, and he was taking all of it. Jerry Golf completed twenty four of thirty three. Shouts out to MGS for this twenty four of his thirty three attempts for two hundred and seventy two yards and the touchdown, with most of the production on quick passes, not downfield production. It was getting it out quick, quick, get it out into the hands of your playmakers and let them make plays high percentage, high percentage. He completed seventeen of his twenty one quick pass attempts for a total of one hundred and sixty seven yards and the tudy that is a quick pass rate of sixty two percent. It's his highest mark in the game since he signed with the Lions.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Let him do it question, Hold on, I'm gonna say this one more time.
Speaker 3: Just what people understand? Yeah? Please?
Speaker 4: Okay, sixty cool. That's for the status nerds such as myself. Let me just put it in plain language though. Jerret Golf against the Dallas Cowboys on on Thursday Night football just registered the highest success rate on his quick passes in his entire career with the Detroit Lions. Zone coverage was early Christmas for him and those playmakers.
Speaker 5: Really quick, how do you combat a really solid interior defensive line?
Speaker 3: Oh, get it out? Yeah, quick passes, get it out.
Speaker 6: But you know what, and then and and I just want to wrap this up, no see, because I don't want there to be this ideology that we're speaking negatively about zone.
Speaker 3: All the time. We're not talking about.
Speaker 4: The time.
Speaker 3: So even if let let's just go and put this on it too.
Speaker 6: No see, there's a way to play zone eighty seven percent of the time, even though I don't like that without playing.
Speaker 3: Far off, I don't like that zone.
Speaker 6: There are many ways to remain in zone and still disrupt the releases of receivers. The one thing that receivers hate when they're trying to get out into their routes is to have to run around another person. I don't want to have to deal with getting around you and then getting to my spot and then getting out of my break and then catching the ball. But if you're playing off, I don't have to worry about that because once I cross five yards, by law, you can't touch me. So you are taking away the advantage that you have as a defender within that first five yards that they allot for to go up and make my job difficult. So when you talk about eighty seven percent efficiency there when you're playing fourteen yards, when you're playing twelve ten, eight yards off of these receivers in the NFL. But let's talk about a Manra Saint Brown in particular, one of the best possession receivers I consider.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 6: You might not want to give him that five yard grace period that you actually are gifted to go be physical with him. And if you were ever going to be physical with a Monro Saint Brown, it probably should come on the heels of him not having practice because of an ankle injury. I'm probably gonna go make his life a little bit more difficult to get off the ball, be a little more physical, a little bit more physical at least it's gonna get up there and force them to go into a short motion.
Speaker 3: Like oh they did that with Jamior gifts. Make them do a.
Speaker 6: Short motion so that you can't go up during disrupt And that's what teams do to combat people, teams that want to come up and press so you can play zone defense while still disrupting releases at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Dallas for whatever reason, all season long, not just tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, this has been my This has been my my issue I've had all season long, but it's specifically in games that really matter.
Speaker 3: You cannot give those gifts for you Christmas is here. I get it. You can't give away gifts because you just gave away your chance for the playoffs.
Speaker 4: So here's here's my question, because I want we've been talking, especially because of the focus of lab Code on this particular thing. I know a lot some fans are probably listening to this and saying at this point they're saying, but it wasn't only the defense. You're right, but it was also the defense. You're right, it was the offense as well. But it wasn't only the offense either. A special team. So here's my question for all of the rightful criticism that eba Flues draws from the fan base and from the analysts, when we see things like what we saw last night Detroit Lions, when is everyone going to start having the sorts and conversation.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've had it, we were talking about that. I've been had it.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a conversation that needs to be had, and I believe it needs to be had in the front office as well. Shoty needs to have a conversation with his special teams coordinator because this is a special teams unit. Now, thankfully Butter is still Butter, okay, but this is a special teams unit that went from being the best.
Speaker 3: In the league, not even close best than yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean not even wasn't even arguable, no, to probably be not even probably to be one of the worst in the league. Now save for you know, effort from guys like Elijah Clark a couple of weeks ago, save for effort from guys like Samuel with the block field goals. So you have like an individual standout here and there, here and there, but the unit as a whole, save for those that have the consistency of Brandon Aubrey, Special Teams has taken a massive, gargantuan step back, and I feel like the criticism for flu still justified is kind of saving Nick Swrtenson from criticism. Yes, I don't feel like it's a conversation that needs.
Speaker 3: To be head No.
Speaker 6: See, I can tell you this. You guys are fan. Our family have brought it up numerous times. You guys have brought up numerous times friends and family and said that I should get into coaching, and I've always been like, heck no, not getting to coaching.
Speaker 3: Kyle, what did I say last night?
Speaker 2: You said I think I could be a pretty darn good special teams coordinator.
Speaker 3: He almost forced me into.
Speaker 2: He was like, hold on a second. He's like, let me go get my ball cap backwards. Visor, let me go get that out of the car real quick.
Speaker 5: Why do you say that isaim is?
Speaker 6: I don't feel this is my feeling. I don't feel like he's connected to the Special Teams unit. I'll say that I don't. I don't know him personally. I've been around, I've seen I've seen his presence amongst that, and I've experienced a lot of Special Teams coordinators in my life.
Speaker 3: The most successful Specially Teams coordinators.
Speaker 6: That I've seen are either super savvy vets cats have been around for a long time, old school cats right that their players just ball out for them, right, just old rugged cats. Or they're young guys with a lot of juice and a lot of energy. Because Special Teams is a special unit. It is a unit where you are literally going out there in is seventy effort thirty percent execution.
Speaker 3: It's the dirty work.
Speaker 6: It's the dirty work, and you got to have somebody that is the juice man. And I've never seen him do anything, even a Jason Garrett clap. That's not to say that he's not doing it.
Speaker 2: Think the biggest thing that I've seen him do was after the second time getting on Turp. Second time that it's happened in two weeks where Cavante Turpin does a fake fair catch and then tried to return and and it ends up being a penalty second time, and Sorenson, I give him credit he got in the face of turf and he was lighting up turp on the sideline, which I don't know if that's a terp habit or something. I don't know's if it's a plan. That's even worse if that was a plan. But it's done.
Speaker 3: It's been happened twice in a row.
Speaker 4: It didn't happen with Boone and so I get onto or I give.
Speaker 2: Him credit for getting on to term. But that was really the most emotion we've seen out of the guy at any point in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's special teams has been a problem. It has really quickly.
Speaker 4: To someone in the chat who asked, how was it also offense's fault, it's because they got in their own way. Talk about it, Jake, This is just quick and we'll get back to special teams. Jake Ferguson's fumbled Jake Ferguson, hands to the face.
Speaker 3: Did they watched the game?
Speaker 4: The offensive line got offensive like Scott got hit eleven times, sacked, five times, pressure twenty times.
Speaker 3: That's how the offense.
Speaker 2: Ow Kwahem Mohammad, who you let go and braining camp last.
Speaker 3: Year, had three sacks.
Speaker 2: So three to answer that question, not Micah Parsons, not Aiden Grudge, not not all these other Miles Garrett, these JJ Watts. No, but no, it was al Quaheen Mohammad, a high afford guy, high afford motor.
Speaker 3: Never should have let walk out the door. Isaiah has been very highly spoken about that form.
Speaker 4: But yeah, So circling back to special teams because I want to hear josh Is standpoint on it, because it sounds like he had some passion in that, uh in that and some point.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's hard to disagree that the Cowboys are a worst special teams unit this year compared to last year. You can't really dispute it at this point. And like you said, it's much worse. And Brandon Aubrey makes up for a lot of that because Brandon Aubrey is Brandon Aubrey. But if you look at just mistackles, just mistackles on special teams, that is what's really killing you right now. And we're talking about the position that they had all game. That was a big part of it too. It's it's not just punk coverage or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Kickoff coverage, kickoff off coverage, normal business really.
Speaker 6: Bad last night, and and the game has changed, and yet you kept kicking to the guy. So it's not a knowing that you that your coverage is poor. I don't have a problem with that. I don't have a problem with that because in this new kickoff era. Okay, back in the day I was, we were had to run down on kickoff, it was L five L four. You had to get run into a wedge and a wall. Right, you're going right, this new era, you're standing there, Yeah, exactly. You're standing there and you're literally right five yards away from a guy. Right, most of the time is you versus that guy. You can scheme it up a little bit, but majority of the time you have one on one matchups. Beat your man, Yeah, beat your man. There are a lot of drills that that you can do in in this in this game of football that will position you to be successful. Personnel groupings matter, right, the type of personnelities you have. What did I say last night? I said, if I was on, if I was especially in the coordinator, of my guys would be defensive defensive players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you said they needed a little edge to them.
Speaker 6: You gotta have some edge to them, you gotta have. You got some defensive ends. You have some linebackers and you got you have a bussy's cats in the mouth. Yeah, I'm trying to if you have a hard chin strap, I need that thing cracked by the end of the game.
Speaker 3: It's it's a violent game. There's a violent game that we play. So this is not pity.
Speaker 7: Pat.
Speaker 6: Let me let you get forty yards on a kickoff return, which they did all night long, last all night.
Speaker 4: But you know, I said, you made a point that I'm going to double down on because I don't want fans to view it as a fleeting point. Just as from player to player, there has to be chemistry in each position group, in each unit.
Speaker 3: This Special Teams as a unit.
Speaker 4: And this is coming from someone who's in the building at every practice in the locker room, I talk to players, and not to say that players are throwing, you know, sore and center the bus. I'm not saying that at all. But when you talk about the feel like these past several seasons, it felt like Special Teams players would run through a wall for bones fossil. I don't feel that.
Speaker 3: I just I just don't.
Speaker 4: It just it just feels like there are players and there's the coach and it goes it's.
Speaker 6: A part of Burblo Quick even on Punk return and you can see it, and I know people are going to Turpen is one of the best punk returners.
Speaker 3: How many opportunities has he had?
Speaker 2: Not a ton?
Speaker 3: Not a ton? And you know what that goes to.
Speaker 6: It goes to the aspect of the game that a lot of people don't pay attention to because they don't really show it on the screen or you don't really talk about it.
Speaker 3: It's the hold up. It's the hold up.
Speaker 6: Some of the great teams that I've been on we worked to crap out of that drill in practice. Man, the man, you're on film. We're highlighting this and we're gonna watch it on film in front of the whole team. Can you get a hold up on this dude? Come off, put your hand on, crowding on your helmet and his chance strap, sit your button down, lock up, and don't let him off the line.
Speaker 3: There's a pride factor that comes with that. If I do my job, and.
Speaker 6: If my partners do their job across the board, our returnment has a chance. But if I come off and I just hit him in and I let this dude just throw me to the side, and run down the field. Now turf has to fair catch, So there's a pride factor that grows across the board and tech technical aspect that people aren't paying attention to that is contributing to why we're saying this about the special teams unit as a whole.
Speaker 2: So with all of that being said, special teams specifically and everything pieced together here, we expected a drop off.
Speaker 3: When John Fossil left, right, you knew that was a big lores.
Speaker 2: He's the best in the league, one of the best special teams coordinators in football. Right now, you knew there was going to be a drop off, and I don't. I'm not even so that as a knock toward Nick Sorenson. But the drop off has been far severe, or far more severe than I think we even anticipated going into the year. There's got to be a significant change in the special teams unit to make it worthwhile to have that conversation or to push aside that conversation as these final four games go along. All right, we got to get another break in here. When we come back, We're going to talk about the games that are on the docket this week. We're going to actually make some picks. If you want to be a part of our pickham segment eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven, give us a call.
Speaker 3: We're also going to make.
Speaker 2: Up a game for the fans out there as well. I'll tell you how that's going to work here in a little bit. Plus we'll have a college football minute right after this with more talking cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee isle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be.
Speaker 3: Beat better yet.
Speaker 10: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: I'm home.
Speaker 4: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 2: Nice Hey can you hehn?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got the finale ready. To play. Here's your wine.
Speaker 2: Wow, isn't it nice.
Speaker 3: Not having to ask?
Speaker 2: We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, AT and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers.
Speaker 3: Strictions and exclusions apply. It att dot Com slash guarantee for details to Talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This segment has brought to you by invisi Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Back with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah's standback with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's Real Quickly, it's time for our college football minute. There are a couple teams in action this week. It's not Isaiah's team. Josh's team is always in action. They're always doing their work to get out of legal action.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Oh my god, because they're being sued all right, Pat tell us about them. Georgia Bulldogs.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, So you know one thing I do love is a good old fashioned rematch. So Alabama came to Athens a few weeks ago and they snug one on us, you know, barely got.
Speaker 3: Away ward twenty one. Yeah, barely got away with it.
Speaker 4: But we get them back in the SEC Championship in Atlanta on Saturday. So I would absolutely love to just maul them. I will say I am concerned, not necessarily about the game itself, but I'm concerned about it being a bonus game because of the way that you know, college football is set up now with the twelve game record.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: Now the SEC Championship, you know, and conference championships have basically just been reduced to bragging rights. So with that, we're risking injury for bragging rights, knowing that the playoffs are coming up.
Speaker 3: So don't like that.
Speaker 4: That needs to be fixed. But that's a soapbox. I'm not going to get on. Go out there, handle low Todd, and let's take some momentum to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Go do look.
Speaker 2: So for the upper echelon of conferences, yeah, you're right, conference championship games are just a bragging right.
Speaker 3: Not the case for the University of North Texas, Mean Green.
Speaker 2: It is literally the biggest game in the history of the program, and there's not been a conversation. It happens tonight on ABC Prime Times. Go North Texas, the number twenty four ranked team in the recent College Football Playoff rankings, taking on number twenty two lane.
Speaker 3: The winner is going to the College Football It's been a long season. Put your green draws on me. You can't say it got them on. They just made them. I could still say it. There are a lot of I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: A lot of things have happened as a part of this program over the last couple of weeks, especially the coach leaving to Oklahoma State. They have now announced a new coach, Neil Brown is going to be the next head coach for North Texas eugm Also, yeah, the GM's going to Oklahoma, to Oklahoma State.
Speaker 3: Just keep on. This is just that night in the adversity that there is adversity.
Speaker 2: But the big thing is they've got a chance to win one game tonight for all the glory. Marbles may even be headed to Athens next next time they play a game, who knows, it may be Eugene and maybe we'll see what's gonna happen. I'm sure you will North Texas Tu Lane tonight.
Speaker 3: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you, if they end up winning that game, I'm gonna be insufferable on social media.
Speaker 3: Pulling for you. Thank you seriously appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I wish I was down there. We have worked, Kyle Cook got got Cowboys working.
Speaker 3: Let Cal Cook. Yeah, it's gonna be till he comes to.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into a little bit of Pickham segment. We get we made our picks for the Cowboys game on Tuesday.
Speaker 7: What is that you?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: He's crazy, man, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Uh, We've got five games for the rest of the slate throughout the week. In terms of our Pickham segment, Anthony in Miami is our guest picker to what.
Speaker 3: A big ant?
Speaker 7: Hey, what's going on? My fellows.
Speaker 3: Three or five?
Speaker 7: Hey, hanging is my dude? Nick and Chris and my guys and you guys are my fellas. I always told Cal I will always call him. He's been my dude for years. Yes, sir, I'm told him I'll always call him. So it's my first time this year, fellas. I appreciate y'all show. I like that show.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Colin. You don't always have to like mention.
Speaker 7: Those just the names I call everybody.
Speaker 3: Yep, no doubt, bat.
Speaker 2: Let the minstre Look, you're right, You're right. I appreciate you calling. Appreciate your love as always. Let's get into these games. Dolphins at the Jets. You guys want a barn burner to start? Oh my god, Dolphins blockbuster if you will, Isaiah, what you got?
Speaker 3: Give me the joo man? You know what a little bit of breakfast that's on the broadcast is gonna start My ex teammates. Man, I'm over there with the Jets. Okay, I'm gonna taken. Baby.
Speaker 2: I was hoping you would make a Dolphin noise. Now I'm gonna try.
Speaker 4: You gotta get he can hit those taking the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would wicked. No, go to the Dolphins. I like Aaron going with the Jets. Yeah what you got, Anthony, I.
Speaker 7: Got the Jets. Man's down here, infball. I can't remember a better record than us Dolphins.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Colts at the Jags, Colts trying to get back on track.
Speaker 3: They're a little bit Josh, what you got, let me go with the Jags, Patrick.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, it's actually pretty good one.
Speaker 3: I'm going with the Colts on this one. Okay, I'm going to take the Colts to bounce back as well. Yeah. I think the Horseshoes figure it out.
Speaker 2: Anthony, Okay, I got the Jags.
Speaker 7: I like Sunshine.
Speaker 2: You just picked the kaint Sunshine, all right. Commanders at the Vikings another stinker game. Next next matchup for the Cowboys though, the Vikings, Pat.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm never going for those for those guys, Vikings Vikings win.
Speaker 2: See, I need to make up some ground here. I'm going to go with the Commanders because the Vikings don't know what the heck they're.
Speaker 3: Doing at quarterback, right quarterback quarterback?
Speaker 5: Yeah no, that's a miserable situation. And I believe the Commanders are getting their QB one back this farday.
Speaker 3: He had a full practice.
Speaker 2: Either way, Marcus Mariota is better than both the guys on the Viking struck.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, give me the Commanders command. This is where I make up ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe so, Anthony, I'm with you, Pat, I can't do it.
Speaker 7: Philly Giants watch no, no No, and.
Speaker 2: Ball Texans at the Chiefs actually a really good AFC matchup at Arrowhead, Texans at Chiefs. Anthony will let you start on this one.
Speaker 7: Uh, since we worked up on the Chiefs. I like my homes. Let's go with the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Sh They're desperate back against the wall. I think I'm gonna take Kansas City here too.
Speaker 3: I like that Texans defense, but I just think that Andy Reeve is gonna have something in the story. I don't know whether Houston's offense.
Speaker 2: Is doing, so I'm going with the Alight.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one, Patrick Ugo.
Speaker 4: It is a tough because the Texans defensive lights out, but Chiefs at home got to absolutely have it. I think they work some voodoo. However, that looks like I'm going Chiefs.
Speaker 5: I'm taking the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Eagles, the Chargers. Can the Chargers help the Cowboys out? Kyle not, It's North Texas Eagles, Texas. Trust me, I've gotten some dirty looks wearing just.
Speaker 3: Charge me and green stuff?
Speaker 2: You taking it?
Speaker 4: Chargers Chorgiers?
Speaker 3: Do they have their QB one Chorgiers? Okay, I'm gonna take the Chargers too. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Is it just because I don't like picking the Eagles? I have to go to Philly. You have to, Yeah, I mean, buddy, pick with my heart.
Speaker 5: Brandon Graham over there wearing a Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hat, I pick with my heart.
Speaker 3: I'm picking the real The heck's wrong with you.
Speaker 2: Man's gonna be the Chargers taking Philly, Anthony, He's.
Speaker 7: Not gonna picking with my heart. But charge is never Philly, never, never, never lost one.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're not going to pick this game on the table. We're gonna make this up next week.
Speaker 3: We're tabling it.
Speaker 2: We are tabling the pick that's about to happen. However, the fans didn't get a chance to pick on Tuesday when we made our Cowboys pick for the Detroit Lions game.
Speaker 3: So this is gonna be double or nothing for the fans this week.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get two swings at it, and it's gonna be the Vikings at the Cowboys next matchup in a week and a half. It's a long way away, but go ahead and pick who do you think is gonna win that one, Anthony, and give us a final score.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's the Boys for life, the Boys for life, and I like to pick former players numbers, so we're gonna go with We're gonna go right Williams thirty one, Dan Woolson, who should be in the Hall of twenty eight.
Speaker 3: All right, I don't. That's a pretty close game.
Speaker 2: That is fun, all right, Thanks Anthony and Miami appreciates you as always and appreciate you Colin.
Speaker 3: You're the man, you sir.
Speaker 2: So all right.
Speaker 3: That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Glad you were able to join us following the forty four to thirty loss to the Detroit Lions. Appreciate you guys being true fans and tuning and even after the Cowboys fall in a game like that. We will be back on Monday, and we're back on the normal schedule from at least for a week, and then we'll go when it gets all messed up, then we go Monday through Friday, and then it gets messed up again for Christmas.
Speaker 3: But we will be back on Monday no matter what.
Speaker 2: For Patrick No c Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yellmans saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you Monday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.