Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, it's Q and A with BA.
Speaker 2: I'm excited A Q and A so happy today? Are they gonna say?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: So we're going to write into it. This is our special bonus episode, so b a Brian ambition, Q and A Question and Answer. You asked your question, you get are your answer. And remember we are not financial advisors. We are not I don't know whatever legal schmiegel. AKA, see your grandma, not us to us. Now, we're just here.
Speaker 2: Just don't see your grandma either, but especially but if you go.
Speaker 3: See somebody for your grammy. But me and Mandy are just here. We are literally just sharing our opinion and it is up to you to lean into the expert in your life, to vet verify and to follow through. Okay, Mandy, who's our first person?
Speaker 2: I love this question, Carl, Yes, I saw this question on Enstein. I'm so glad that producer Sarah picked this one out. Carl says, I love the podcast and what you both are doing to empower our community. I just started a new remote job in March that I enjoy for a solid company with great benefits. I'm making eighty five K, the most I've ever made in a low cost of living area. I've been getting recruiters sliding into my dms on LinkedIn, and I finally decided to chat with one. She has a role that's one hundred percent remote, same industry for about one hundred and thirty five k per year. The only issue is that it's a six to twelve month contract attempt to hire role, so I have the uncertainty of it. We're also building a house, and I know that banks get a little bit weary when there's big changes in a financial situation. What do you think? Am I crazy for considering the move from something reliable to something potentially uncertain. My initial thought is, don't worry until you get the offer. But my wheels are already turning. Ooh, this is a juicy, juicy.
Speaker 3: Juicy, although there's one huge component that makes me say, sir, Carl, but I'm gonna let you rock with it. What you say, Mandra No.
Speaker 2: Tell me what what caught you?
Speaker 3: What caught you?
Speaker 2: A Carl story?
Speaker 3: The part that caught me everything else, I'm like, oh, you know, maybe I'd make the leap, but building a house, Carl, that makes me nervous. Now here's the thing. I've never built a house I do know. Let's just say, if you were, you know, house shopping, and you were like, I'm thinking about getting a mortgage, this would literally be the worst thing you could possibly do. If you switch jobs before you close, they're almost sure to be like you thought, Carl Bruh, we gave you this loan based upon your current financial situation. You have now changed it to one that makes us feel a little nervy. Nervy, like I'll give you an example. So I make like significantly more than my husband, but my husband has worked for where he works for for the last like twenty nineteen years. When we were looking to get a mortgage, he actually was the one that they were like, we don't want to talk to Siphany, you're really cute. Well you cute? We sure many years of work and a solid job. How you doing. I was like, what, I make a lot of money. They're like, yeah, yeah, what's your shaky entrepreneurship? It's not cute over there. So that's the part that just makes me a little nervous, is that I don't know what's building a house. If you kind of like lock in, you've already locked in your financing and they can't take it away. But that makes me a little shaky shaky, what say you, manjoin.
Speaker 2: I completely agree with you. Two big red flags, that being one. The second one is yes, they're offering one hundred and thirty five K, so that's fifty k more than he's from my mathematics are correct, fifty K more than he's making now. But it's a contract role, and what that means they are not giving you ne'er one benefit, probably no four one K matching, probably no health care, probably no free be this and free be that. And I think that's why you're seeing an inflated salary. And also you're gonna have to you know, if they pay you. I don't know if they'll take out taxes, but you may have to set aside some of that for taxes as well as well. So I would ask those questions for sure, especially if you're seriously entertaining this offer, you really should know exactly what this means to you. I see you said you're building a house. You say we, so I assume you have a partner. You know, if they can provide you health benefits or if you're not missing out on any benefits that you are at your current employer, you know, maybe that is a little bit more in favor of the more higher paying role. At the end of the day, I think Tiffany's exactly right. As long as you're building this house, and my little brother's actually building a house right now in Atlanta. Sure, and there's I know comient that anyway. He He's like, nobody calls me Drake, but you can on your pud. Meanwhile, no people at public's hey, Drake, listen, Carl the while you're building your house, you know, the good thing for me. And what I would say is like, this role is being offered to you now at six to twelve month contract. You know, you can hang around at this great paying job that you have for another six months and you can know, you know, maybe your house is done. Then you've got that out of the way, and then you know people are offering jobs like yours remotely. This doesn't mean this is the only opportunity. I would be excited by this. I'd be excited and be like, oh shit, people are willing to pay a lot of money from my position on a contract basis, so when I'm ready, they should still be some opportunities available. But you know, for right now, while you're building this house. Let's just have some financial stability so that you and your partner, you know, are not completely screwed over when it comes to the banks if you're you know, getting a mortgage or alone. Like you say, like you sound like you are. Oh wow, but congrats. That's exciting. And I feel the same way about like, yeah, when I went, it was like, oh, you can't say yes to everything. Yeah, but it's exciting to know that there's other opportunities that are out.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to get chosen. You got chos food by two people.
Speaker 2: So all right, thank you so much, Carl. What about number two? You want to read this one?
Speaker 3: Sure? Hey, ladies. I'm considering jobs in higher education outside of California because I'm not getting any callbacks or job offers here. I had three interviews in twenty twenty and thus three and twenty twenty one and nothing. I mean, one job went well as far as calling my references, and still nothing. I've applied out of state to Arizona, Texas and other states. But my question is how do I check the compensation rate for the new job in a new state? My question is how do I check the compensation rate for the new job in a new state and to see if it's comparable to working in California. I know there are no jobs across state lines offering salary matching. I just don't want to be undervalued while moving to working in a new state and not get paid my value. Thank you so much. I love y'all and the show. So let me just like download. So it's like, you're looking for work higher education. I'm assuming you mean in colleges or you know that. So I'm thinking, so you've had all these interviews, still nothing has come back, but you're trying to basically compare working from state to state to see how much money is. Like obviously California the coast typically pay more than other, you know states, So you're just like, you know, it's California's ninety thousand, Texas is fifty thousand. So you're trying to look, is that was that what you're getting from this that she's trying to figure out like how to prepare compensation rate from state to state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she's preparing herself to possibly be getting offers from these out of state jobs that are less than what she's possibly expecting in California but she wants to know how low should she go. My question is, you know, even now with this pandemic life, is the job going to be remote or are you going to be moving to these states. If you're moving to the states, I would say definitely you should get your expectations adjusted. And you can do that by doing a search online. Payscale, glass Door. They may have location specific salary advice. You can also there's cost of living calculators. We can link to a couple in our show notes that maybe would help you. But also even if there's a forum, you know, a Facebook group or community or a professional organization wherever you may find your peers in other states, you could ask one of them to give you just to be a sounding board for some of the offers that you're getting. But if you're moving, yes, I say adjust your expectations. If they're going to allow you to be remote and work in California, you know, you could justify expecting a bit more as you do have a higher cost of living. You know, for example, if you want to stay in California, they may say, maybe the pay is a little bit lower, but we're going to let you stay in California. You don't have to uproot your life. You know, that's an additional benefit to you. It's definitely a conversation, but it's a little bit nuanced, and for me, it's really down to where are you moving? You know, are you going to stay in California and you know, will they expect you to accept a little bit of a lower pay because they're going to let you stay remote, or will you, you know, move to these new states.
Speaker 3: It looks like she's wanting to move. She's looking like basically, she's like, I don't you know how like I know, and like, because I live in Jersey, I could tell you, like what teachers make on average, you know, and like what's what's low, what's high? She's basically like, I'm not trying to move to a new state only to find out the Texas people they trick me that in Texas this is actually low. So I mean, yeah, I'm trying to thinking in New Jersey, where would I find the information of like I feel like it's not with the Google search, right, Like what do teachers make? Let's pretend you're trying to be a teacher. What do teachers make in New Jersey? Because what they'll do is they'll actually list, especially for higher education, they'll list kind of like the expected salary. So that way that should give you like a range of like what you should look into. Like well, okay, if I go Texas and I see that for my position, you know the average pay is eighty thousand and they're offering you sixty, then you know it's on me lowin. But education is a space that you can easily do your Googles and literally see it, like I know, for example that Newark because urban settings tend to pay more than rural settings in New Jersey. Because I don't know if I told you everr Mandy that one time I had posted like, oh, you know, when I first started teaching, I was making thirty nine thousand dollars a year, and this woman called me a liar on instad. She's like, you're a liar. I'm a teacher in New Jersey. We don't make that much now, let alone that long ago. I was like, hold please, because Google's are real. I showed her that, like one literally I think in Newark people are starting at sixty five thousand, because she was in rural New Jersey and I said, I mean, I'm not trying to shame you about, you know, making less. But yes, there are some areas of the same state that pay differently. And she was like, oh wow, I didn't know that, And so, you know, don't be like, we'll call her Sheila. Don't be like she. Do your googles and figure out, like, you know, what the pay range is. Sometimes there's depending what kind of job it is. Sometimes there's literally actually websites, like especially if it's a government or a state job, as released to higher education, there's definitely going to be salary scales available online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also don't hate the fact that you might be walking into that negotiation with a little bit of California swagger. Yes, you know, expecting a little bit more because maybe you ask for more and they find that they can inch that budget up a little bit. I love an outlier. And my experience as a manager, whenever you'd have someone coming in, especially if you're approaching somebody from another company, typically you got to give them a bigger raise. So for example, if I was hiring, if I had just promoted a writer to a senior writer, maybe they got a I don't know, ten percent raise. But if I was recruiting a senior writer from somewhere else, and I had to lure them to me. They may come in like at twenty percent, and then the next round of compensation it's like, oh, well we have this new person coming in. They're kind of raising the bar for salary. You know, we got to make sure everyone else is on the same page. So rising tides kind of doll boats. So I'm not mad at you walking in there asking for a little bit more than maybe a local a local would, but yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Because you from Caliboo boo, you've been leading into it. So those are our questions for today. If you have questions, you can submit them.
Speaker 2: To us podcast at gmail dot com. Thank you. I'm looking at the Google doc not your face. Oh sorry, Or you can go to Brown Ambition podcast dot com and ask us anything. You love your questions, keep sending them.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean you can also like Instagram, you know us, we like them you know there as well. But yeah, if you like this podcast, which obviously you do cause you're here, man, and I would like to beseech you. And that's a great word right to invite at least you know those trace people to listen to Brown ambition because you know they might be like you might. I have a friend that asked you a financial question and you're like, Sis, you'll not say that means I don't know what's Spanish. Send them here. We will answer the I can't promise that we'll get to it, but we'll try our best. We will try our best, no, honestly, like, send at least three people our way. We want to grow our podcast so we can reach more people and help more people. Mandy and I are really excited about like new things that are coming. We just want to make sure that you guys are getting all that you need from us. So you love us. Tell other people you love us, tell us them via social media, but send a link, like listen to this episode. It's the question you asked me last week.
Speaker 2: So I just feel like, shout out to your third grade Spanish teacher. That's what I want to say, because those lessons really stuck with you every week thinking a little some something.
Speaker 3: I know, a combination about twenty Spanish words, and I'm like, and I don't, I'm not good at tensis. I'm like, I'm probably saying, you know, like present tentions to the past partis whatever. But you know, doctor Ziobra would be very ashamed of me. She was my middle school Spanish teacher. And my name was Carolina because you know, you have to pick a Spanish name.
Speaker 2: Carolina, yeah, because they didn't just like Spanish fie.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, no, because what is it Tiponi? I don't know, but Carolina was my Spanish name, and she like they one, and she was very serious about Spanish. Day one, she only spoke to us in Spanish. I'm like, madam, that's the way, but I'm and she was very serious Carolina. I'm like, you know, all I knew is he don't know? Say so. Shout out to you, missus zo bro for you know, trying your best, but some of them.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all next week until next week
Speaker 2: Six