Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, I'm practicing my tenor. I'm not sure if I if I hate anybody else. You know, I just feel like, oh, no, baritone, I don't know somebody. You know. I figured the lower range. You know, it's time for you guys to see that I do indeed have the range. So, you know, just just a little tidbit of what I've been working on.
Speaker 2: We never had a doubt. I'm good. How are you happy, brunanbish and Wednesday?
Speaker 1: Yes, and we are back. So first things first, I need to know dishwasher update.
Speaker 2: Listen, I had. I had very little expectation when I was just complaining to you guys about my whole dishwasher saga. If you are out of the little you got to listen to last week's show. I told you all about how LG and Best Buy were conspiring to just try and steal a thousand dollars from us for like a busted dishwasher. So I went to Twitter. I took Tiffany's advice. I haven't used Twitter to complain about a problem with the company publicly in a long time, but I went to Twitter and I started a thread just telling my story, and I asked you guys to retweet me and at them and comment and you you came through to like a hilarious degree. I loved it.
Speaker 1: We are both the best and the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the worst. I mean to LG the worst, but to me the best. Oh my god, I should read some of the some of the tweets. It was like a lot of people were like, I mean, I guess I know which brand I'm never gonna buy again. Yes, and Tiffany, thank you for retweeting. So what that? What happened was I ended up in a in a DM conversation with LG customer support pretty much for two days in a row, and then they did not want to progress the case at all. Where my husband was getting stymnied. Was they kept saying, it's not covered by the warranty. We're so sorry, nothing we can do. And I kept pushing and pushing, and anytime they would like, you know, they would get quiet for a couple of hours, and then I would just go find people would tweet, and then it would just bring it back again. And after day one we got more retweets and it's just like they couldn't ignore it. Finally I got a message from them saying, we have forwarded your we have forwarded your case to our returns department. Here's your order number or here's your case number. You should get an answer in three to five business days. And I asked my husband, like, has that happened before? And he said, no, that's actually really good. It means that there's a chance we'll get a refund. And so three to five business days ended today, so I had husband call them up and they said, our refund and our exchange has been approved. Yes, it worked. I can't believe it, so I haven't. Actually I'm not gonna claim it on Twitter that I've succeeded until I get that like new dishwasher in place, because I'm still dubious, like because right now, because the thing is, we bought it through best best Buy, but it was an LG dishwasher. LG is saying that they've approved it for the warranty now to be replaced, but that Best Buy is going to reach out to us now to arrange like an exchange and a new machine or whatever. So I'm gonna keep waiting before I like call a complete victory because I don't know, like I don't know Best Buy, like what if they try and play something. I don't know. I'm just a little suspicious. But this is amazing. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh, that is awesome.
Speaker 2: My husband did not believe.
Speaker 3: He did not bel He was like, you dishwasher, I am the queen, like, I don't you know, I don't you I don't abuse Twitter, but I, you know what, this is hilarious.
Speaker 1: But when I found out that, like that whole complaint to Twitter thing kind of work is my friend. I'll call his name, she won't care. Chee k. So she k One time went to Duncan and they wouldn't give him extra butter on his bagel without charging more. What And so I guess he got a buttered bagel and it was like really low on the butter. So he's like, oh, hey, there's not much butter on here, can have more. They're like, oh, that'll be an extra thirty five cents or something like that. So he wrote a tweet like this is outrageous. And when I tell you, she got like, I don't know, like I tenn dollar gift certificate. But I remember this was probably like five six years ago, but I remember thinking, you you got more butter on your bagel via Twitter. Hmm, So I use it very rarely, only if the normal means don't work, because sometimes and it's definitely not to obviously abuse. That's only if like a company has made a mistake and they're refusing to acknowledge it, and you, I think you have to have like a huge following. I did. I've used it, I would say less than five times in like five or six years, and without fail, I've at least gotten it escalated and you know, so yeah, no, yeah, show the shit good news.
Speaker 2: I feel so vindicated. My husband just did not believe he was ready. He was ready. He wanted me to spend the one thousand dollars in a ditch flasher. I'm like, you cannot. I was like, take me off the bench, coach, you're tired. You've been dealing with this for two months now. So thank you guys, so so very much, and I'll keep you posted. I just love when good people win, you know, I feel vindicated anyway, I'm not the only win in our lives right now. Actually, all we do is when when when? So I've I have started to tell people some very big personal news for me and Husbie we are expecting our first child.
Speaker 1: Let's be screaming in dog pitch. Poor Molly is probably like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Poor Molly has no idea what's about to happen to her life, to her world where Mommy only has her, you know, to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean honestly, guys, I knew. I mean, but it's still time. I always forget and then I'm like, wait, Manny's a mom. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've earned that title quite yet. I am a vessel of life, though, you know, I do have a little like octopus octopus type thing squirming around in there right now. That's what I feel like. I just feel like there's an alien invasion.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so crazy, the fact that that is the most mandy thing. It literally needs to get a T shirt. I am mom, not so much vessel of life. Yes, literally the mandy thing you've ever said, like ever? So yes, I love it.
Speaker 2: That's all love life. Yeah, so I've started. You know what's funny is like I didn't realize how awkward it is to tell people, cause a lot of people, especially with work and like friends, you don't see everybody all the time. So it doesn't like come up a normal conversation. Plus, if you start getting round your in the middle of no one's going to be No one in their right mind is going to ask you. And like, unless people are trying to foist, you know, tequila shots on you, there's no there's no like natural way to just tell people. So I've I've had a lot of really awkward, funny conversations with folks, especially when it came time to tell people at work, which I started doing a couple of weeks ago, and that was a whole agonizing you know, when do I tell? You know, we had our review process typically happens in June, and I was thinking, oh, might as well just wait till after the review, Why have that cloud anyone's thoughts about me? But then I was like, oh whatever, the reviews got pushed till late July, and I'm like, this is I'm tired of like I'm tired of, you know, pretending like nothing's different in my life. I'm out for all these doctor's appointments and missing work and stuff. So I think I owe it to the team to tell them, you know, what's happening. And everyone's been so everyone's been really cool about it. And I'm the first person in this office here to have a kid. Not that there's no people have kids in my office, but I'm the first one to like get pregnant here. So I feel like, okay, I'm going to set an example for what, you know, what's acceptable for a pregnant lady to do. And I'm just like, I talk about it. It's not a big secret.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I've already started making jokes about occupying our wellness room from my pumping you know, when I get back and everything like that, and people have been really yeah, supportive. So now that everyone knows, I feel it's starting to get real. I'm going to have a I'm going to have a human to keep alive.
Speaker 1: I know that is so crazy. We're gonna need an awesome mom.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, I'm bout halfway there. I'm at week twenty. For those of wonder. People always ask how far and long are you? When to do week twenty and do December? First?
Speaker 1: Oh? How did Drake react? Was he like, okay, okay, okay, you know your brother, Oh.
Speaker 2: My brother. I have the funniest video. I should share it with you guys. Is now that people know oh yeah. All the videos of our parents finding out are my dad, my yes, my dad, and my husband's mother. Their reactions are like so hilarious. But my brother was actually more shocked than my dad was. I was surprised. Yeah, he was like and he's been really funny and just you know, he loves the idea of being an uncle. He's excited. He's like, I'm spending all my money on your child. I'm like, great, awesome.
Speaker 1: No, Honestly, the first like when like, so my sister Karen was the first to have and plus we're all girls, and so her her first baby was a boy. It was a rap. It was when I say a rap, I'm like, King Roman, what do you you tell me at three months? Like, I'm just here to listen to you. Honestly, there's nothing. And now she's got a Millia and then my sister Karen has Lily. But it's just like it's honestly, there's nothing more fun than being an auntie or an uncle because like I'm like, of course you can't have ice pops for breakfast? Are you crazy? I don't care what your mother says, you know, like you can do whatever you want. They're just the best. Honestly, being an auntie uncle is it's awesome because you get all of the you know, all of the love, none of the major responsibilities because I'm like, okay, time to go home, Roman and to mess up your own house because Aunty's taking a nap. So yeah, yeah, just like, honestly, I think you're gonna really you're gonna see like a different inside to your siblings. So you're gonna be like, oh, so clearly you love the kids more than me. Like I will literally call my sister and I'm like, can you put Amelia on the phone please? Thanks, Just like Hi, Hi, I'm like, so, how was your day? Oh my gosh, how was that girl at school? It's just the messing with you? Hi? Hi? Hi? You she can't even speak And I'm like, all right, so it was great, girl. I'm gonna come by tomorrow tell your mother to have you ready. So yeah, your siblings are gonna be in love with your baby. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I already feel neglected just walking cause like for me, i've been there's so much focus on like baby stuff. I mean, of course the child is important, it's not here yet, though, I'm also important, and you know what, nothing fits me anymore and I need new clothes. So why why when I go to stores that have maternity where Why is the kids section three times as big as the maternity section?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: H and M? Why Old Navy? And also it's nothing new, it's all like stuff people have returned. I guess like Old Navy and H and M don't sell. They only sell what people return at a discount though, so that's that's like the best fit. But I've been like having a shop online for stuff. I finally broke down and uh yeah, it's so far just trying to find things that fit. I'm like, can I get some attention and love? But yeah, yeah, you're right. I'm the first one of my siblings to have a kid, so I do feel like, oh, I get you know, this kid's gonna get all the attention because there's not like my siblings don't have kids to like distract.
Speaker 1: Yal I totally destroyer, rotten to the core. They were like, Manny, I'm sorry, no one's speaking to you. I'm speaking to baby. Hey baby, how you doing? Oh? Speaking of baby? So this is a perfect segue. I'm talking about baby and work. So I would say about ninety five percent and maybe even ninety seventy percent of the folks that work for budgets to enterprise. So I would call that like the budget eseiself, my literature academy, my marketing company, my foundation. So like it's mostly all women. Shout out to komone on my team. She just recently had a baby, but I want to say that in the last two years, we've had one, two, three, four, four babies in the last two years, so a lot of baby's going on at Bungetessa Enterprise. And it's kind of come up that there's like a struggle with how do we because we work digitally and a lot of the moms actually stay home with their children. And if you've ever baby, said anyone under the age of four, you know just how hard it is to get work done and to care for your child. And so we came up with a solution that I'm hoping will really help and work, and I just want to share it and I would love to know, like at your jobs, what solutions do they have if they even help with child care. So here's a solution that we've come up with. So, as you know, the Budgetessa, we have a large audience is about eight hundred thousand women worldwide. And so what we decided is We're actually going to do some sort of like almost like budget theese babysitting, where I'm going to reach out to the audience, share the basic vicinity and state where the women who have children who are looking for childcare on my team, the Unicorn Squad, the women who have children that are looking for child care, We're gonna look for dream catchers in those areas, vet them so and you know, I used to be a school teacher myself, So vet them, background check all of that, and then that way the women on the team can have access to at least three or four different dream catchers that you can you can hit up if you need childcare assistance. So if you're like, oh my gosh, major meeting and I know the baby's gonna cry, I know I can hit up you know, Georgia, Thelma, Luise or Sharon. And then too, we as a company are planning to offer like a childcare credit to help. So I'm gonna look at what the numbers can dictate. So let's just say we set aside two percent of our gross income toward childcare credit and that ends up being I don't even know, like what two percent of our gross income. Just say, for the sake of ease, it's thirty thousand dollars. And so we've got say like five women, So thirty thousand dollars of out of by five women, that would be what is that six thousand dollars thirty times five, Yes, yeah, six thousand dollars. So then that would be the credit for the year that you could use toward childcare. So that's kind of.
Speaker 2: Our that's huge, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: To cover like two hours of daycare. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: At least something is no.
Speaker 2: That's like at least half a year's worth based on the estimates we've got, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just want because one, you know, when you because you know, I don't have children yet. But it's so it wasn't an issue that I was experiencing, and so it's so important that you're talking to your team because it totally you know, that goes over my my, That went over my head. I used to I remember when Carol first went back to work, I used to babysit Roman every Tuesday and Thursday for like half a day, and I remember how top that was with just him, and so because that's not my life now, it's not an issue that I would have paid attention to until it was brought to my attention. And now I'm like, okay, how do we make it that you are able to to you know, like work efficiently but also live life efficiently. I really because I told my team what's really important to me, more than anything else, truly is them. I want to run a heart centric company where the focus is you, the individual, the woman. And we do have some men, but specifically because you know, we cater to women, and so it's really important to me that the women who who work on the team feel supported, not just professionally but personally and so and to work from that angle first, So personal, honestly first, and because I know once we get your personal together, the professional because I hired you because you're dope, I'm not worried about your capability of doing the work. You're here already. People kind of like vet themselves out, so that's not the component that I worry about. I just want to make sure that everybody is okay. I've got this. Don't know if it's like a libra thing or impact thing. I've got this really big thing about that I need the people around me to be okay or I can't feel okay. Like if you're my sibling, if you're not okay, I'm like, well, what do we need to do? Significant other? Whoever? Like if I think that there's something that's wrong, not like like something lightly you're like, oh, you know, I had a bad day at work, but I'm talking about like something that is like fundamentally wrong. I can't rest with it. And so knowing that people were struggling in that way, I was like, what, why did you guys not tell me? I didn't even think about this. We need a solution.
Speaker 2: How did it come to be? Because I feel like, what's great about what you're doing? Like in order for you as a leader, you're uh, obviously as the owner of your you know, budget needs to ink. You have the power to make these types of changes, but you can't you don't know to make them unless people tell you. And I think a lot of women probably feel like they don't like they need to hide their struggle or it's just part of their you know, just managing childcare with their work. It's something they have to do on their own, and they can't tell their employer, they can't tell their manager because it'll be seen as them being week or not contributing like other team members. And I feel like the fact that you, you know, like as a manager, you need people to feel comfortable enough and confident enough telling you. So, yeah, how did you guys start that? Like, how did you first know it was an issue?
Speaker 1: It was just a member of my team. It was like, honestly, I'm drowning and I don't like she didn't want to say, but she was like, I'm literally at capacity and it was showing, and I think that she was just like, uh, it's now starting to cross over where I can't get this work done and it's not It wasn't like her not to get work done. So it was just, you know, it just she didn't want to say because she felt like it was a personal situation, and I was like, no, I wish I would have known. So we actually added they were actually just a six point plan I called our pivot plan to pivot toward that not being an issue anymore. So one of the things that I meet with my lead team on Monday, it's for women and we used to meet we meet women Monday mornings and Thursday mornings, but Monday was getting a little redundant it because they're so efficient. It was like, well, we kind of work everything out on Thursday. We don't even need these Monday morning meetings. So instead we are changing those Monday morning meetings to our mental health check in Monday morning meetings. So on Mondays, instead of talking about business, we're not talking about business at all. I am checking in with you as a person. So we get on the call. What's happening, Like, you know, the baby's not drinking, this one has the flu, you're tied, whatever that looks like, that is your opportunity. I want to just talk to you, like as a woman to woman, I could say, you know, IVF is like a struggle, I'm tired, I'm not sure about this, Like I want all of that out on the table, and because that will really get it'll help me to understand, like what are you really going through and how can we support you in your personal life and not just you as a lead team member, but you meet with your teams and to have mental health check ins with them weekly too, so you can bring that to the Monday meeting, whereas maybe you're like, I'm fine, but you know what, one of the customer service young women, she's really struggling and so but I wouldn't know because I don't speak to her regularly. And so that's really important to me to like, yes, to be in the know professionally like oh, marketing is down or whatever, but more importantly for me to be in the know personally, because sometimes people are really struggling or they're going through trauma. If you're going through trauma, why are we sending you a blog post? Write? No, that's all we do here, you know, like if I find out that something is happening, we all stop and secretly we're like, okay, nobody send work to such and such because I just found out that her uncle passed away. And she'll be like, hey, guys, is there any work? Then nope, there's no work. Are you sure? Because nope, we're actually good today. You actually could take the rest of the day. And just like and it doesn't reflect in your pay, it doesn't reflect in the level of responsibility. You don't get penalized for being a human being. I want to run a different type of company where you can bring your whole self, your wife, your your mother, your your your significant other, self, your your you know, whatever self that encompasses you. You could bring your whole self to this company and it's embraced and it's part of the whole. I don't want it just for you to like, this is not just work for me. This is life. You know. You spend so much time here with these people, and I'm like, no, it has to mean more than that. And so like I feel like someone one of my saving graces is I never worked in corporate America, so I don't really have them. I don't have to unlearn those things. So I'm really this is the approach that happens when you teach preschool, honestly, and I feel like that's what I'm bringing to the table because Miss Charlene, when I taught preschool, this is what we did. She was my co teacher. We talked about our life and how you doing, girl, And oh, you have cramps, Well you know, I'll take the kids outside. How about you lay down on a cod Oh like you and your boyfriend broke up. I'm gonna come by this weekend and I'm gonna we'll watch movies and So that kind of like care for each other as women in the workplace is what I experienced when I taught preschool for ten years, and I think that it made us better teachers. It made us just better, you know, it just just made us better. And I want to bring that to the company and we just like I said, we have some some pivot points that we can do to make it better. So I'm excited, especially for the childcare credit to roll out and to finding you know, childcare options for the people who need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we got so many great stories from our listeners on their childcare experiences. But you're right, it's not just about like the financial burden. It's also how you how your employer wherever you work, startup independent, you know how you're treated at work when it comes to those issues, and like get into it because as a parent, I think you need to build up that confidence in opening up to your employer. And any good manager, whether you are you know the budget needs to or you work for a company, any good managers having a one on one check in at least bi weekly with their direct reports, and you need to use that time tonight, And I'm constantly harping on this to my people, it's like it's not and I and I make a point. I'm not the best at small talk. Sometimes I'm like very much like goal oriented just when I get to the point, but I force myself to, you know, learn about each person. Not that I have to force myself, but you know how it is when you're just like focused on the work, but open up about myself. And I think by talking about my pregnancy and not making it some big secret saying I do need time off every few weeks to go to the doctor for the morning, like and and not making it something that's I should be ashamed about because I'm not so that they feel when they're ready to start a family or they need to ask out, you know, time off for their kid being sick. Believe me, I'm cash all the all the flexibility I've given my team when it comes to childcare for their kids, I will be granting it to myself as well. And good and uh yeah yeah, And it's not just about the money. But that's that's amazing. I think that that it will make a huge difference and just show where you where your values are, you know, for your team, and that'll trickle down awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes on the brain right, this is such a warm im like I feel like we're like like the whole ba you know, like listenership is like slowly, we're like, come in for the hug. You know. I'm not a big hugger, but at this moment in time, I want you to lean into the hug. Okay, hug, hug, hug Okay. Squeeze let gouted.
Speaker 2: December second, and childcare wise, we were fortunate because my husband's mother doesn't work, and she fortunate slash am I fortunate? I don't know. She basically wants one hundred percent childcare custody as soon as this child is in the world, so we'll have support, Like, you know, I've got my I'll have my maternity leave, my husband's got his paternity It's not amazing, but we'll probably we'll be able to cobble together probably five to six months off to be home, and then I plan on I plan on just letting myself figure out what I want. Like people are asking me, what's your childcare plan? Is your mother in law going to move in? You know? Are you going to put him in daycare? And I'm like, how do I know? And what I need until it's like in the world, and I don't know if I'm gonna, like, I might be so crazy you staying at home and I'm gonna want to go back to work immediately, or I might negotiate work from home for a few extra months, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's okay not to know, and just will sign now because everyone is going to give you so much quote unquote advice.
Speaker 2: Or they just ask questions that stress you out with no actionable tips included.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you don't have to I mean, like, honestly, nobody knows anything like you just you don't have to know you just like you said you'll. I remember when when like Roman first came home. I remember we all had like this plan, like Okay, I'm gonna spend two weeks with Carol, then you spend then you spend after a week Carols like, everybody get out of my house.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, I feel like I will be Carol.
Speaker 1: She was like, you're stressing me out. Everyone is stressing me. Everyone get out of my house. It's too much. I will the baby, Like the baby is stressed enough. Now I gotta worry about you, Like did you eat? Do you want some cereal, like so so exactly. But then my sister Karen was different, like her her mother in law moved in and she's like her mother in law's amazing, she's super nice, like fun, and she moved in and Karen was like, oh my gosh, she's so great with the baby. I'm so glad she's here. And then my mother stayed for a couple of months, and then my sister Tracy went. Then like my sister Lisa went, so Karen was very much like, you know, please tag tag the next person in. So you just don't know you're gonna feel until you get there, and there's nothing wrong with either way.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm just gonna give myself a space to just you know, be this, you know, vessel of life. And just I caught myself watching YouTube videos on childbirth. Don't do that. Do that you don't want to see, you don't want to see. But anyway, I'm very excited. Thank you guys. You know, I don't know why I'm saying thank you. Thank you for your gifts. In advance, I'll send you my registry. Think no, but yeah, first brand ambitionion, baby, we need like some broad ambition onesies or something we do. All.
Speaker 1: Well, now that we've gotten all that great news out of the way, it is time for one of my favorite segments, questions the name not tune? Mandy?
Speaker 2: Was that a song?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not there. I'm gonna do it again. I'm gonna do it. It's I mean, it's the tune that you want to name. It is time for brown ambition questions. Please ask what you need. Now, it's time to ask a question. You wait, wait, what is it? You're no toll? It's deck the Hall, Deck the Hall.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's the same tune. I think.
Speaker 1: No Jingo jing a bell is jingo bells?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're right, you're right, Deck the Halls? But why are we in Christmas? I don't understand. It's Sali though it's one hundred degrees though.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I didn't even know who it came from. It just came from nowhere. And I would like to see if, like you know me, and I'm always testing Mandy's like random unnecessary knowledge, and you're like, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought I was gonna lose another black card because it's always some like obscure nineties black reference that I wasn't alive long enough to know what is straight. I got you on Christmas on Christmas Carols, you did?
Speaker 1: You got me like you know you you were in at least the vicinity. So we're gonna we're gonna let you keep that one, all right. So it's time for some questions. What questions are in the box?
Speaker 2: Ooh, got some good questions today? Let me pop over to the Instagram again. We are at Brown Ambition Podcast on Instagram. Feel free to shoot us your questions. Do let me know if you want me to put you on blast with your name or if you want to be anonymous, because if you don't, I will say your name or at least your Instagram handle. And for those of you who've been sending questions, thank you very very much. So first question, let me see, let me see, let me see ooh for this question comes from let me see what's her name? Oh? At Meme seven zero two on Instagram. She says, I'm loving your podcast, but I need some help. I feel completely lost. I'm forty one years old and I've never invested, but I would love to start. I work as a childcare provider in my home. My husband works outside of the home. Where should I start? Well, forty one, I mean it's over for you, Like, why are you even trying? I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding. That's so young. Yes, yeah, I mean forty one. Forget about your age when it comes to like investing, like, just start when you feel ready, honestly. And so if you're working from home and your husband's outside of the home, I would ask is your husband get access to a four to one K If he does, and even better if his company matches his contributions, I would definitely start there because you don't want to leave money on the table if they're going to match you know, a percentage of his savings. You, as an independent you know, working for yourself, don't have the same Bennett or don't have the opportunity to get match, So I would first start there. Secondly, you can easily open you know as far as like the you know options you can go to like any any firm like a Vanguard, a Fidelity, uh TDM Error Trade and open a starter just an I array individual retirement account that you can open and start saving in. Personally, there's also a step I array, which is an option if you are self employed I would say, check with an accountant. So first investment I think might be good for you is invest in, you know, a consult a consultation with an accountant, someone who can give you really solid advice to get you off the ground. It may cost a couple hundred bucks, but think about just having someone give you that shove in the right direction and select the right account for you, and then just start setting aside however much you feel comfortable with each month, you know, warranted that your day to day expenses are covered, and you are you know, you have a decent sized emergency fund, then there's no need.
Speaker 4: To to delay.
Speaker 2: Just start small. It can be you know, one hundred bucks a month, just something.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and I mean honestly, Mandy basically said it all. That's what I would say. Honestly, look to your husband where he can start. You could put whatever amount of money that you want a month into into like a Vanguard find Sometimes I think people think like, well, if my job doesn't offer it, that's okay, because you can do the same for yourself outside of your you know, your job. But you want to start quickly and as soon as possible, because yes, there is a benefit to starting early, but it's never too late to start. I mean I started early, backtrack by taking all that money out, that started a little later. And you know, either way, you're in the game. That's really what's most important. That getting in the game is better than not being in the game.
Speaker 2: And at forty one, I mean, I hope you live along and blessed life. Average age is like for women today is in their eighties, early eighties. You got forty years ahead of you. That is a long time horizon. It's definitely not too late to start investing now. And you know, it's also not too late for you to be a little aggressive with your investing too. Like, don't think you need to just like keep your money in a savings account because you're not gonna especially if you're starting a little bit later, you're not gonna you don't have the potential to earn what you might earn, you know, if you were to invest. That being said, you're also not twenty one, so you don't want to be over invested in stock. So that's why I think it might be a good idea for you. Start with maybe a consultation with a financial planner or an accountant. Just get someone who's fee only, who will charge you a flat you know rate just to get you started, and someone who isn't gonna, you know, want to take a cut of your future you know, earnings and your investment account. Or if you want to do even simpler, what is that app called Acorns. That's the one where you can sign up and it rounds up your does it round up your purchases and then it saves yep.
Speaker 1: So you can let doors because I have Acorns, so you can you can put like, you know, you can say fifty bucks a month or whatever, and then you can also say, hey, every time I swipe this particular card or whatever, you know, round up that that change. So that's a good, like super easy place to kind of start. But I agree with Mandy that you know you're gonna want to sit with a professional just to get a better understanding. But you can literally sign up for Acorns tonight just so you get started, even if it's twenty bucks a month. So it's something It's not about the twenty bucks. It's about the habit of I am setting aside for my future. I understand that it is my younger self job to take care of my older self.
Speaker 2: Take care of your inner Wandra, Wanda, Wanda. Okay, I have a cousin named Wandra. Shout out to key. Hey, all right, thank you for your question at meme seven oh two. Let's see. Oh, here's a question that we got from last week, and I just asked for a little bit of follow up information. So this is Instagram user Banks. So Banks has a question about paying off her card note. So she says, I'm thinking of purchasing a home and the next few years. I think to get there, my first step should be to pay off my car. But I find that idea unsettling because honestly, people cannot drive in Atlanta. So I was thinking of saving the amount in an online savings account. If I were to save up enough money to pay off my car, do you think that I could negotiate how much I owe with my lender down by having a lump sum Banks? Interesting, I was gonna say that.
Speaker 1: I never heard that before. I don't want to say no, but I'm saying not likely, because I mean, it's it's the amount of I mean, it's not it's not like a lull. Well, you know, I don't want to say no. I'm not I quite honest, I've never heard about anybody negotiating for like, Hey, I know I owe you, you know, ten thousand dollars on a car. What if I gave you eight in a lump sum. Because here's in general, this is what I found about lenders, even when I was going through my foreclosure and stuff, that the only time that they are open for negotiation is when you haven't given them anything for a while, because at that point they're like, just give me something, even when you're going for modification. So modification is like when you're trying to get your like so for a mortgage. And when I couldn't form my mortgage anymore, I applied for modification. And that's when they're trying to modify my mortgage to a lower monthly payment. And the only way to qualify for modification was for me to be late and consistently late. So I wasn't late, So when I first applied, they would not they would not give me modification because in the bank's eyes, so you're telling me, person who pays on time, that you don't want to give me the money that you've been giving me. Why should I take less when you're give me my money now? I'm not advocating for you not to pay, like like, well, I'm just gonna be laid on my in my car payment and then see if they'll take a take less money because you don't want to tank your credit score and your chances of getting a home. But I'm just saying that lenders typically don't look to settle or negotiate when they're already receiving your money. Like I'll take yourself out for a minute of like it's you and just like imagine somebody owed you money. They owed you a thousand dollars and they were giving you one hundred dollars a month, and it's been four months and they paid you your hundred dollars on the first of every month, never been late. And they're like, hey, girl, I know I owe you six hundred dollars, Can I just give you four? It's like no, I'll just continue to give my hundred dollars a month for the next six months. Thanks, you see what I mean. So there's no real benefit for the bank. So, like I said, I'd never heard of it before. I'm not gonna say no, but I just don't know how likely that is.
Speaker 2: Well, let me help out a little bit here. So when I got this question, I reached out to Jennifer Jones, who is the autos writer that we have here at lending Tree where I work, And I asked Jen because she has experience actually working in the financing office at dealerships around the country. So I asked, Jen, is this something that you've heard before? And she said, honestly, every lendar is a little bit different. It takes two to negotiate, so all you you know, all you can do is start to ask. But she said, so you're to your point because I had the same thought. You know, what's in it for the bank to negotiate someone who's been paying their auto, who's been paying their note on time. But Gen actually said, if you tell them something like, you know, be truthful about your situation, if you're truly struggling, if you think you're about to file bankruptcy, or you've got other debts that have been piling up, you know, since you originally took out the loan, and you ask them how to how they can help you, you may find that they may be actually sympathetic to your cause. And one of the reasons that Gen points it out is that yes, you can say, why would they negotiate with you? All they have to do is repossess your car if you stop paying. But Jen said, it's people don't realize it's actually expensive for the lender to repossess cars and they have to sell the car for wholesale, which means they would get less than probably what they wanted to if they were able to trade it in or something like that. So they may not even want to take the car back in most situations, and that may give you some negotiation leverage when it comes down to it. So it's not a no, it's just more of a depends in this particular case with listener Binks. You know, she's thinking, let me pay off my car so I'll be ready to purchase a home and have you know, that'll help you lower your debt to income ratio, which which is a big factor for getting approved for a mortgage or even just getting a better mortgage rate. So I do think it's a good idea. I would just say, you won't know unless you ask your lender, and you will go into the conversation, and Jen agreed with this. You'll go into the conversation a lot stronger if you can say I have this lump sum and I can pay off the car right now.
Speaker 1: And so you might want to wait to have the conversation until you actually have the lung sum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that was good.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that before. I was like, huh, I never thought about that, but yes, honestly, and if you do it, let us know, because I would love or if anybody's in the audiences has done that before, please let us know. I would love to know the outcome and maybe kind of share with us what kind of tip the scale in your favor so that we can share.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Hit us up at Brandnambisson Podcast at gmail dot com or Instagram at Brown Ambition Podcast. Where else can they find us? Twitter at the BA Podcast, brandnibisionpodcast dot com, just google Brand Ambition Podcasts. We're everywhere.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys for your questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, and now it's time for Booster to break for all the family. Will you booth? Will you break? What will it be?
Speaker 2: Mandy Mickeydow's Club nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know, I mean, after ten thousand years, but I'm gonna let it. I'm gonna leave it okay easy.
Speaker 2: So I've got to do a break this week. I heard so we all I think it came out a couple of weeks ago. Disney cast Halle Bailey of Halle is it Halle and Chloe? How do they pronounce that X in the middle? Okay, So they cast young, beautiful black singer actress Halle Bailey as the new Ariel in The Little Mermaid, which was like, no one saw that coming. It was freaking amazing. But of course, very quickly after that news broke, we had this hashtag start on Twitter, hashtag not my Aeriel, which became a whole thing. There were think pieces written on it. Black Twitter went insane. Of course, we're all defending why we need you know, why a mythical character, you know, can be any shade of the rainbow. And then an article came out this week that actually people looked back, where did this hashtag not my Ariel come from? Turns out it was Russia. Yeah, so that you know, if you haven't heard like a lot of the reason like, what's there there's these Russian like there's these companies that just hire people to stoke flames on Twitter, just to you know, get Americans all riled up and at each other's throats, and they created this hashtag purposefully to tap into what actually worked, which is like this latent understanding, this latent expectation of racism in America, and god, it was like minorities versus white people, and you know, just all this unnecessary debate, which is not because like it was started by these Russian these Russian bots on social media. It like distorts what's really going on. Are people really that upset about a black aerial or is it just Russian bots making us think that we have you know, of course, I'm sure there's a handful of people in America who you know, are very upset about this, this in black Santa Claus and everything else. But I just I got to do a brown break for buying into the social media rage machine and just like jumping on the bandwagon and chiming in, because you could just be proliferating a completely false, a completely false like narrative. Narrative, Yeah, thank you, narrative. So just think about it and and you know, do your Google to see where things originated from before you believe what's really going on.
Speaker 1: It's such a shame that you know, it caught on so quickly. There's something to be said for that as well. Well, I am actually going to boost speaking of dope black women in the movies and such. So Double O seven, James Bond, I take my what is it is he saying like shaken, not stirred or something like that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Bond, James Bond, That's all I know.
Speaker 1: So anyway, currently he's played by a man named Daniel Craig. That's he's a kind of blondish blue eyes. But it wasn't he like originally from who was he was so handsome, like he's got like a Scottish accent. The original James Well, he's not the original Purece Brosnan.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no. Sean Connery. Sean Connery, Yes, where did I dike that up from?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I didn't have it, so Sean Connery know if that was the first one, and I don't. I know it's not, but that's like the first one I remember. So anyway, it's always been played by a dude. So for the very first time, not only is Double O seven obviously her name is not gonna be James Vond, but not only is the Double O seven character gonna be played by a woman. It's by a black woman, a black British actress to be. In fact, her name is her name is Lashanda Lynch. And for years that has been intense speculation about who's gonna take over the reins of the most I mean, honestly, the James Vond kind of like series is like the most durable and profitable film franchises in history, and so the fact that they're getting a black woman is like, wait a minute. She is thirty one years old. She is a newcomer.
Speaker 2: She was, wasn't she in the Captain Marvel movie? She played like the Air Force pilot, the best friend of Captain Marvell.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was when I first saw her.
Speaker 1: Knowing things a pop culture. Okay, so honestly, I am super duper excited. So now that you know about the whole fake hashtag now my area, please be mindful. Then I'm sure that the Russian box are also working on not my bond or whatever.
Speaker 2: Don't do it. Don't retweet it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't don't do it. Just you know, just enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Just show up to the movies whenever it comes out. That's all you have to do to protest. That's all I have to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, honestly, I'm really excited to see it because I'm like, I'm excited to see, like, you know, from a woman's perspective, like what are they going to do, because you know, James Bond is supposed to be like kind of like this like sexy spy that solves crime or whatever, but also seduces women. So I'm really excited to see what is it going to look like from a woman's perspective. You know, if it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't going to be Idris Elva, the god of you know, cinema, like I love a trace, if it wasn't going to be him, because you know, he was in the mix for a while and I really was like wanting him to win this role. But yeah, if it wasn't gonna be him, this is that this is like, honestly even better than I could have imagined. Like I didn't even think beyond it's got to be a dude, which you know, I should question my own, you know, my own thought process, but the fact that it's a woman and they have a woman writing it, Phoebe waller Bridge, who who's like a writer and actress that I've really been a fan of She's actually writing the script like this is major, I'm excited major.
Speaker 1: This is like honestly, since Wakanda was discover it's really been kind of a good thing for blacks and browns.
Speaker 2: And wa Kanda effect it could be I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, you know, I feel like that movie was so like, wait, black people go to movies. Black people like seeing black people.
Speaker 2: Wait a man, who are Adia?
Speaker 1: Which I mean, no shade tall of pair because you know, we're also grateful for the fact that they're you know. But at the same time, it's like, it's like when my cousin started Munaluchi Bridle. Right, so it started off as a magazine. Now it's like this whole enterprise. But I remember when she wanted to get into Barnes and Noble and somehow she got with the buyer Barnes and Nobles. She hadn't even launched the magazine just yet, and they were like, I don't know, do like do basically like, do black people want to see bridal magazines? As if black and brown women don't get married? I mean, are you kidding me? And so when she did the first first run of the first issue of Muduluchi Bridle. They told her, do not print more than three thousand copies. They were actually gonna which I don't know how Jackie managed to shout out to Jackie so she was able to convince them to like roll it out to all the Barns and Nobles. Meanwhile, Jackie was like a scientist or something ahead of the time. She had no printing experience, none of this. She just was like, I wanted to get I got married to my husband. There were no magazines available. This sucks. I'm going to start something. And she had gotten really into photography and started this magazine. They told her, don't print any more than three thousand copies and we'll just sprinkle them in a few Barns and Nobles around the country. She did a ten thousand dollars run that means like just amount that you print at one time, and they were like, not ten thousand dollars, ten thousand issue run. They were like, yo, you're bugging You're crazy. It's sold out in like three days. They're like, do you have more? Because black and brown women get married and they'd like to see themselves in magazines. They could not believe Barnes and Noles could not believe how quickly it flew off the shelves, and that was like, I don't even know. It might have been up till like ten years ago, but it's been forever ago and she's been killing it ever since. So this is just, you know, sometimes we forget like black and brown women they care about finance, Black and brown women get married, Black and brown women like we do all the things. So having representation is always going to be a win for you. Rihanna Tallas that we actually like to wear makeup too, I imagine that, you know. And so now you see literally every makeup brand many do you notice they all have like fifty colors. Now I'm like, so yeah, it's just like this is just such an awesome thing, and I just love that, like we're starting to normalize, like, you know, brownness and make it just mainstream because we are mainstream. And so yes cha, I can't wait, can't I wait, can't wait?
Speaker 2: Congrats Lashawna.
Speaker 1: Yes and shot y'all. Because a friend of a friend of the show Tanya of my Fat Finance, she had posted I think I saw Tita. I was tagged. She posted, like what what what financed podcasts? Do you guys listen to And when I tell you, Brann and Bishon was all in those comments. I mean like I felt like every other comment.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, you guys love us on the show.
Speaker 1: I know. And I was like, it was just so night because you know, someone because they most people had tagged brand Ambish, but one person was tagged me and I'm like, what's this? And I was looking in the comments and I was like, Wow, what it's like Brada bha Many, Tiffy, Branna bish Brother. I was like, oh mg, So I just thought that was really like, you know, just really, you guys really love us that we love you back.
Speaker 2: I knew they loved us, but it's always amazing to hear it to see you guys keep tagging us on Instagram too, because I love sharing your fun little videos. Oh my god, shall I'll see the video of the little boy, the little toddler? I forget what the yes, Oh my God gave me hope from my own little human spawn. Will it be that cool? I hope so it will are the best. We have literally been through every life stage with our listeners. To be honest, single live, should we be recording into our eighties. I mean, come on, if I if I can still see my computer screen, I might I.
Speaker 1: Know, right, I mean, yeah, honestly, it's it's awesome. I love that you guys have grown up with us. So tell a friend, tell a friend, tell a friend to listen. Okay, bring guests next time.
Speaker 2: Leave a review for all our new listeners. Please go to iTunes, leave a review. I think we're us seven hundred reviews, yet let's get to one thousand. Why not help us get to one thousand reviews. The more reviews you leave, the more that tells iTunes you guys love our show, and they will feature it like they've always given us love. The reason they do that is because you guys demanded of them. So that is, honestly, the best way you can think us for the show is just go to go to iTunes, leave a review. Let your friends know. It helps so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, mandod you rest because I know baby takes a lot of energy.
Speaker 2: I'm in the second trimester. I'm feeling good. You know, first trimester for sure, it was a struggle struggle bus city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you sound good, you sound like more like peppy.
Speaker 2: I had a coffee an hour ago so that helped.
Speaker 1: Coffee.
Speaker 2: You can do that, science says, I can. Don't even get you started. I don't want it, you guys. I don't care about your opinions. What I read said I can have two hundred milligrams of caffeine to day and believe you know what.
Speaker 1: Like, my bestie did that too, because she's really at the coffee and she literally used to measure it every day, like, oh, I can't wait for so I right, I totally yep. One of my best es is like a coffee fanatic, and she was like, I know how much I can nap, I have it, leave you alone. I'm like, you know what. And her baby is the arrive at the four now and just like and he is coffee chocolate shout out to Gape, Hey baby,