Speaker 1: Earners. What's up.
Speaker 2: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank, a lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 3: Business Show where we like sports, So I want to start with a question that's related to both sports and business, true, and I want to talk about college sports and what's happening with college sports. It looks like it's new pro league, right when you look at the transfer portal, that's very It looks like free agency, which you don't even have a con You could just leave it any point in time, right, right. But then I also want to talk about nil collectives. So they're saying John Caliparry is going to start with at least five million dollars, and a lot of people aren't really familiar with the NIO collective. They heard about nil deals, but it's like the NIO Collective, a bunch of essentially correct me if from all, like a bunch of wealthy boosters can just come together and just pull up a pool of money and just you know, give kids. It's like a way to pay players under the gaze of nil and not it be illegal. Right, So so much has changed over the last eighteen months, So what's your thoughts on those two things?
Speaker 1: Specifically? Doesn't bother me at all.
Speaker 4: And the more headaches it causes for the NCUBA, the more headaches it calls for particular programs, the better I feel. You've spent decades exploiting these athletes under the cloak of amateurism, and I would have respected it more if it were applicable to you as well, if you were a coach, if you were an administration and you didn't benefit offered the exploits of the athletes, then I'm down for it. But that's not what has happened. We've had coaches having a myriad of ways to generate revenue for themselves, clinics, coaching, summertime salaries, they've earned speaking engagements, et cetera, et cetera. We've seen the athletes perform, and we've seen the money come back to the universities.
Speaker 1: And what do they do?
Speaker 4: They funnel it throughout the universities. The administrators get a little bit more, the chancellors, the provosts, the presidents, they get a little bit more. Different other programs within the school that are non revenue generating sports, they benefit from it. But the very athlete who went out there and perform and generate this level of interest is somebody that you couldn't find it within yourself to ensure that you would. You would, they would be compensated in some capacity. And the reason why it resonates with me so profoundly is because, you know, I remember when Chris Webber Fab five Michigan and those guys were complaining about stuff and whatever, and you have these folks on the having you know, under the mentality, you know you're getting a scholarship. You getting a scholarship, You should be happy, but they were never happy. And how much of a stickler you were if folks got flights home. In Chris Webber's case, you going into a bookstore and you seeing a uniform a jersey with your name on it, but if the store gave it to you for free as a violation, you know, stuff like that. You know that you're getting a vast majority of these high profile athletes from desolate environments and backgrounds, and you're telling them they can't fly home for the holidays, they can't get a car, they can't you know, you couldn't even rent them a car.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: It might have been a violation. So those kind of things, you would think they would have had the decency to be a bit lax and to understand with all the money that these athletes were generating that, you know what, you could turn a blond out of certain things. All right, If the guy wanted to go home for the holidays, let him go. If somebody wants to come, if the parents want to be flown in for you know, to be with him for Christmas because he can't you know, he can't go home and see him.
Speaker 1: All right, we could turn the blinder. You didn't do any of that.
Speaker 4: You kept you would dog it in restricting what the athletes can get.
Speaker 1: So now that's not the case.
Speaker 4: You know, you read what yourself and the headaches that come with it, the coaches that can't take it. Cal no doubt is leaving Kentucky in part because of that. Nick Saban, no doubt retired because of.
Speaker 1: That, because of that, because of what.
Speaker 4: An IL transfer, a portal of the combination of it all, and what kind of case it's caused, because it's relinquished the degree of control from them. Nick Saban told me that personally, we could he was before he retired. He was complaining about what a headache it was. You're talking about agents that are treating He felt like they were damnar in bezzling you know, money, you know from universities and stuff. You know what they were doing. Those were his That was his terminology. He was completely turned off and utterly disgusted as to how things had transformed and how it changed. And I didn't blame him. I didn't think he was wrong. I was just saying the NCAA brought it on themselves because of how they were. So if these athletes find a way now to get paid, more power to him.
Speaker 1: More power to him.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I was kind of thinking that it's like that transition of the old model, because even for Cal his model was the one and done. So to see the one that done not work Now, I'm like, well, what was really changed? And if you're going from a place like Kentucky with his a boatload of boosters right endless money right and going to and that's CC school like Arkansas where there are boosters but.
Speaker 1: They got some money now, but they have football.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying that they have the football component. But Kentucky's been playing well over the past couple of years. That change is happening with the coaches, you said, Saban, I've thought about guys like Roy Williams and like these older guys who had came in with a system both in college and foot I mean college basketball and football, to where you see new guys coach prime exceeding at this because he's able to adjust and get back to even like a Dan Hurley now, who's just just one. It's more about the players and figured out. It's transfer portal, it's nil, it's all these things.
Speaker 4: Well, the first first thing we're gonna do as we sit down here right now, is we're gonna define what your definition and success is. Okay, because let me tell you something, cal ain't been successful.
Speaker 1: Not in recent memory. You got four over the last four years. I'm a Kentucky right well.
Speaker 4: Success and I'm telling you they've been bounced out in the first round twice. Oakland fourteen ced, Yes, what's to Saint Peter's the fifteen seed and then didn't and then went to the second round loss. Hasn't been to the sweet sixteen and four years didn't make the NCAA tournament. Okay, So you're at Kentucky, which is blue blood? Okay, we know what huh.
Speaker 1: Can we throw away that turn?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Who Who's is you COmON?
Speaker 1: Blue blood? Yes? What is so defined? Blue blood?
Speaker 4: Lengthy period of time in which your dominant shines, where you're relevant. You're a big time program. You know, you're constantly in the mix for national titles. The level of notoriety you gain is different from what the average school gets. Like for example, Villanova's won a couple of national championships. We want to talk about Villanova in that regard. Georgetown won back in the day. We want to talk about them in that regard. North Carolina has been relevant since the sixties seventies. Duke has been relevant since new Krzyzewski arribbed in the eighties. Bill self had Kansas relevant since the eighties. Kentucky with Patino ad of Rope obviously before him, but then Patino Tubby Smith. Now you got Colli Party in twenty twelve, he wins a national title. Those are the kind of that that when you're talking about blue Blood, you're talking about programs essentially that could recruit itself. You mentioned that program and everybody you know, you you come knocking on somebody's door, They're gonna open that door and listen to what you have to say. A lot of schools heard, No, not those programs. That's all I mean by.
Speaker 2: That, right, So, like A, UCLA was sitting there even though they haven't won since ny.
Speaker 1: You CLA hasn't won since ninety five. CA's won.
Speaker 4: UCLA hasn't won since nineteen ninety five. You consider them that out West because of John Wooden.
Speaker 1: What they've done and what in.
Speaker 4: Bill Walton, Kareem abdujaball those kinds of things, the know, Bannon's and all of those guys in nineteen ninety five Westbrook well fourteens, Okay, because you look at it from that standpoint, You'll look at it from there. But that's what I'm talking about. Kentucky's in that line and so, and not only that. Part of it is not worrying about the finances because your alumni base and the money that's funneled into the program is not something that you have to concern yourself with because the school's all always be people to take care of those folks. That's Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, u CLA, Kansas.
Speaker 1: And now you come.
Speaker 2: From a financial standpoint, even from.
Speaker 1: A financial absolutely because the absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm asking from a finance standpoint only because we know that football brings a majority of the money for these schools. Duke is an exception in a sense, you're talking about the school.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the program. Okay, gotcha. Got You're talking about the program. Gotcha. Yukon's program basketball could give it. Their facilities are better than Kentucky's.
Speaker 2: Men and women's.
Speaker 5: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 1: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.