Speaker 1: I won't let my body. I'll be out wait everything that I'm made, won't spend my life trying to change. I'm learning love who I am again, strong, I feel free, I know every part of me. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And then will.
Speaker 1: Always out way if you feel it.
Speaker 2: But she'll some love to THEO. Why get there?
Speaker 1: Say God day and did you and die out way?
Speaker 2: Happy Saturday, out wigh.
Speaker 3: It's leanne here and we are back for part three of the Truth about Your Fat.
Speaker 2: And if you missed parts.
Speaker 3: One and two, definitely go ahead and check those out because everything we will talk about in parts three and four will make a lot more sense and definitely give you the context for what we are talking about here.
Speaker 2: So we talked about a few things last week that we're gonna build on today.
Speaker 3: And the first thing we talked about was this idea that you have fat, whether you like it or not. So I just invited you to instead of spending all of your energy shaming it or blaming it or fearing it, why don't we just learn about it and look at it and discover how it works. And so we talked about how you know, first of all, you can't talk about fat without talking about fascia, which is this connective tissue that is paper thin like it's kind of like a tissue, paper thin but crazy sticky like duct tape, and that it encases everything in our body and is everywhere, and I really do mean everywhere. It surrounds muscles and joints and fat and our vital organs and besides blood and oxygen. It's one of the most plentiful systems in our bodies. But also that when it comes to talking about fat and fascia, they aren't just these things that you know that live independently of our body, I should say, And they're not just affected by food and fitness.
Speaker 2: Fat and fascia.
Speaker 3: Are essentially part of your nervous system and have endocrine function and nerve function and sensory capabilities, and are sensitive to temperature and touch and are actually really smart and pliable and mouldable and something that you can influence in ways that.
Speaker 2: Don't include fitness or food.
Speaker 3: In fact, in ways that would never be affected by fitness and food.
Speaker 2: So that was thing number one.
Speaker 3: Fat and fascia are these really miraculous tissues in our body, and they have a purpose and there's more to them. Than meets the eye, and you're more in control of them than the mainstream health and fitness world is talking about. But also on that topic of health and wellness and taking care of yourself, just like you take care of your teeth and just like you take care of your muscles, I believe it would really benefit you if you started taking care of your.
Speaker 2: Fat and fascia. Okay, So that was the first thing we talked about.
Speaker 3: The second thing we talked about is more in reference to your body, body image and your relationship with your body and your fat. And I made a pretty bold statement, but it's something that I wish somebody had told me a long time ago, and it's this, Okay, you cannot self love your way to something that you don't take care of or that you flat out ignore or disregard.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if.
Speaker 3: You are totally neglecting your body or putting it last on your priority list, that's totally cool, and there's no judgment whatsoever. I simply invited you into a new way of thinking about it. And I flat out I asked you, like, what if taking care of your body and now you know that this includes your fat and your fascia, what if that was your path to self love and self esteem and self worth, and what if that was your path to making over your body. And I'm not just saying, you know, take my word for it blindly without experiencing it for yourself. Just like everything I share, I'm saying, you know, go try this on and see what serves you. And I'm just here simply sharing what works in my life, what works for my clients, and I invited you to simply try it on.
Speaker 2: And see what fits for you.
Speaker 3: And then the third thing we talked about that kind of piggybacks off.
Speaker 2: The first thing is that fat is.
Speaker 3: So cool and that fascia is so cool, and when you learn about it and what it has the power to do, like wow, You're going to be so much more equipped to take care of yourself and your health physically, mentally, emotionally, all of it. But not just take care of yourself, like actually accept yourself, all of yourself, not just parts of you or you know, oh, I'll accept myself when I lose weight, like I mean right now and while you're reaching the next level of your healing or maybe the visions that you have for your next level self okay, which brings us to today, which is Part three, and what I'm going to share next week in Part four. So let me actually give you a sneak peek. So today I'm going to share different thought processes and resources and experts who if you are interested in pursuing this whole fashia and fat conversation, that I wanted to send you in the right direction. And then next week I'm going to share with you my five point check system kind of you know, for lack of it a way of saying it, to figure out what your fat and fascia needs to be healthy. And it's essentially five different categories within your nervous system where your fat and fascia might need some attention, love, and care. Okay, So let's dive in to what I wanted to share today, and this is where I'll also say I'm not the go to expert in this field. Okay, I am just obsessed with this topic and it has radically changed my life. But there are three people specifically that have dedicated their lives and their careers and really their missions on this planet to helping people understand the nervous system and the physiology of all this fat and fascia stuff, and these people have essentially been my teachers over the years, so I simply wanted to share them with you and introduce you to them so that if you want to explore this more on your own, you can start doing that right away. And of course I'll link all the resources I share in the show notes as well. So starting with the first person I discovered when, as I told you in part one, I literally just started googling fascia about fifteen years ago, and it was a man by the name of Thomas Myers who was brought to my attention. And he is famous for his Anatomy Trains book, and it's really a theory and his book and method and theory Anatomy Trains is the best I've seen when it comes to explaining the science and the physiology of fascia, and for sure when it comes to laying out the visuals of what fascia actually looks like. Okay, in fact, that's the simplest place to start. So if somebody said to me, hey, LeeAnne, like, what's the best way to get an idea of what fascia is, where it is on the body, and what it looks like, I would literally tell you to google Thomas Myers and pull up the illustrations and diagrams on Google Images, or I definitely recommend you at his book Anatomy Trains if you want to see it in person, and literally just take a look at what fashia looks like in the body and on the body, and the multiple different lines that are running through your body, and really just looking at the pictures and just by you know, visualizing on your body what is going on in the pictures, looking at the pictures of all the different fashion lines in your body, it's enough to give you what I call an awareness, awareness, meaning it will give you an awareness of something that you didn't even know you could have awareness of. And just looking at the physical pictures of what fascia looks like in the body on the body, your sensory system will be able to pick up on that and you'll be able to actually feel it as in, you know, in and under your skin and feel your fascia on your body. And I know that's a bold claim, so definitely just take my look my word for it, or don't take my word for it, and check it out and just look at the pictures and visual on the body, and you'll see what I mean when I say you can feel it. Okay, So Thomas Myer's Anatomy Trains, he was like my teacher from Afar, and he would have no idea who I am and doesn't even know that he's affected my life, but he has. So that's a great place to start. And if you're curious, just check out anatomytrains dot com, which I will link in the show notes. The second person is who I went to to get educated after I discovered what I shared in Part one of the Truth about Your Fat And just to jog your memory, I shared that after my spine surgery, I had all these weird, you know, neurological symptoms and issues that no one could really help me heal. And I was twenty five, and I was scared what my body would be like at forty or fifty or eighty. So I had to become my own advocate and I went on my own big fat experiment.
Speaker 2: But a lot of this started when I was.
Speaker 3: Like whoa wait a minute, Like when I touch the line on my body where my surgery was right, and I followed that line all the way to my glutes, I felt different sensations in my left side than I did in my right side. Like that's literally how it started. And on one side of my body, I had all of this nerve stuff going on. So naturally I was curious like, okay, ay, what's going on here? Like this can't be normal? But b like what can I do to learn more about this? Because there is something to this right, because again I was following these lines and as wherever I innervated it and touched it, I had more sensory feedback and sensory awareness. And it's almost like my glutes turned on. And again, you know, fifteen years ago and honestly even still today, talking about the nervous system and the nerves was not really a thing in the fitness industry. So I asked around to my inner circle, and I was like, hey, who is the best of the best when it comes to the nervous system and rehabilitation and all that good stuff, Like this is not musculoskeletal, this is not joint, this.
Speaker 2: Is this is neural.
Speaker 3: I could tell I just had this feeling, right, And a couple of people in my inner circle were like, you need to go check out doctor Eric Cobb. Okay, so Doctor Cobb is the creator of ze Health Performance Solutions, And what z Health does is they are this education system for professionals, and he has it for the like the end user as well, but he's really helping professionals so that professionals.
Speaker 2: Can teach this to the mainstream.
Speaker 3: But he's dedicated his life's work to helping people get out of pain and rehabilitate their bodies, but also to the performance side of things, because you know, the nervous system is the dictator of both pain and performance.
Speaker 2: But really again not.
Speaker 3: Coming from the musculoskeletal perspective, which is what a lot of the therapy world is coming from, and coming from the nervous system, like what's going higher up that's causing all of this.
Speaker 2: So I flew out to.
Speaker 3: Phoenix to take his essentials course, and I even caught one of his courses when I was in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Speaker 2: This is years ago, and I'm not exaggerating when.
Speaker 3: I say he was the gateway to my healing, Like I don't think I would have ever discovered how to heal the neural complications that I was having without him, without doctor Cobb, and so I definitely recommend that you check out zhealth if you're curious, and they have a ton of YouTube videos and a lot of free resources, and you can check out their blog on their website. And my personal go to that I recommend to all of my clients is doctor Cobbs. It's called a neural warm up like n eu r al neural warm up. It's about ten minutes long, and it's the most unique movement series I've ever experienced, and it's a game changer. If you want to just start somewhere small, that's a great place to start. But all of his courses and education systems are amazing and you can check all of that out at zhealth education dot com, which we will also link in the show notes. Okay, so that's doctor cobb another one of my brilliant teachers. And I literally like after I was, I mean, he really got me out of pain his methods that I went and invested a lot of time and money and took all of his courses and really started It's what really helped me understand the physiological side of the nervous system. But again, one of my teachers that I'm just you know, forever in debt too. And then last but not least. The third person is a woman by the name of Ashley Black. Okay, now you might have heard her from her because she is all over the internet nowadays, but she is absolutely amazing and deserves to be all over the internet Internet. And I kind of want to be like the young kids with their lingo and call her something like a boss babe or or the goat or something like that, because amazing doesn't really cover Ashley Black, but it's a star. And she was the only other person that I knew that was educating the mainstream about fashion. I remember this was back in like two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight. But she's also the creator of a tool called the fascia Blaster, and I really just need to do an episode all about fashia blasting on its own and give it its own episode. But I pretty much own anything that she's ever I'm out with, and she really is a genius. But so she discovered the world of fascia because when she was really young, she was diagnosed with a really aggressive form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, which caused her to have just like these debilitating bouts of pain throughout her childhood. Right, and so she was in and out of doctor's offices pretty much her whole life, and she was told that she would need a wheelchair by the age of twenty five. Okay, but being who she is, you know, she didn't want to take that at face value, and she didn't want to settle for that as her diagnosis, and she developed her own ways to cope with the pain, using stretching and hot baths and other therapeutic modalities. Okay, But then in her mid twenties, after she gave birth to her second child, she went into the hospital for a routine procedure and she contracted a deadly bone infection that most people with this condition actually die from. But after months of excruciating pain and pretty much a miracle, she was released from the hospital and they gave her a prognosis where basically, you know, they told her that you're going to live in a life of disability and live on pain management drugs.
Speaker 2: Like that's what they told her.
Speaker 3: They're like, you're lucky to be alive, but like you're going to be disabled and you're going to be on drugs to manage the pain. So she refused to accept that, and she's like no, this is not my future. And so she again became her own advocate and became her own, you know, the dictator of her own healing journey, I should say. And so she created not just an amazing set of tools to help the mainstream impact their own fascia because you know, spoiler alert, she realized that fascia was a big piece of this pain puzzle, but she also created frameworks and teaching principles and created an amazing community and really developed an entire education system. And she's also somebody that just really empowers other women and goes above and beyond to serve her people. And I haven't met Ashley in person yet, and I say yet because I feel like our puzzle cross one day, but we've exchanged messages on Facebook a couple of times, and she's seriously just such an amazing light. So check her out as well by going to Ashley Blackguru dot com and we will post that in the show notes as well. One other quick thing I want to say about the fashion blaster side of things too, since obviously we're all about healing here on that way and obviously connecting to your body.
Speaker 2: So Ashley invented her.
Speaker 3: Tools as a healing modality, just like I shared with you, right, But just like I also shared last week, we learned that cellulite is essentially fascially bound fat that isn't broken up, right, So you can probably imagine that a lot of people use the fashion blaster as strictly a cellulite tool, So just be mindful of that when you're googling and researching. Not that fashion blasting through cellulite is a bad thing or anything like that. It's a fun silver lining, right. But I also just like wanted to invite you to get clear on the intent behind the content of anything, but in this case, fashia blasting, if you go down that road, because the last thing I want to do is cause you to you know, a new obsession like obsessing over cellulite or anything like that that might contribute to body dysmorphia when our goal is healing and health and connecting to our bodies. Okay, And so I have a feeling you all get what I mean. I mean, if you're listening to this podcast, you're on that journey. But I just wanted to make sure to mention that as well. And again this is just me coming to you from a place of you know, this is my journey with with kind of taking ownership of my own debilitating pain and nerve issues after major spine surgery, which I talked about in the in the Cost of Skinny episode where you know, spine surgery was just one of the costs of obsessing over my weight. But all of that is what led me to learning about my own fat and fascia. And I'm just super passionate and purposeful about it because it has changed my life time and time again, and it still is, like, just like everything, I'm still on my own journey, and these three people have literally dedicated their life's work to these topics that the mainstream health and fitness world is still pretty much ignoring. And again I'm still shocked because you know, ten fifteen years ago, when I first started discovering some of this stuff, I was like, why isn't the world talking about this? And here we are over a decade later, and it's still not really mainstream. And that's why I'm sharing these insights on this podcast, and that's why I'm definitely inviting you to check out these three amazing humans and see what they're up to, but really to go on your own big fat experiment because there's so much to grasp and it's such an individualized process. But this will give you some tools and again cover it three dimensionally, so from the fat and fascia side to the movement side of things, to the neural mapping side of things, all of it. So that is it for today, outweigh, and I can't wait to bring you part four of this Big Fat Conversation next week where we're going to talk about the five types of fat and fascia that you might have. And again it's like I wish I knew this, then it can just become data of like, oh that makes so much sense as opposed to it used to be something I used to shame and blame and have like a really you know, negative relationship with So if you liked what you heard today and maybe you want to hear more about the process of rewiring your own brain when it comes to healing your relationship with food healing your relationship with your body, then go ahead and head on over to Stressless Eating dot com and sign up to watch the Stressless Eating webinar where I walk you through the exact five step game plan that my clients use to heal themselves from the all or nothing diet mentality for good butt. And here's the big butt, right without restricting themselves, punishing their bodies, and definitely definitely without ever having to use words like macros, low.
Speaker 2: Carb, or calorie burn.
Speaker 3: And so I've laid it all out for you in five easy steps over at Stressless Eating dot com, and we'll be back next week for more outweigh where we're going to get into part four, the final part of the Truth about Your Fat. So I'm Leahne Ellington and I will
Speaker 2: Talk to you then