Speaker 1: Hayrballer's Navy Federal is proud to serve over eight million members and is open to active duty military. The DoD veterans and their family members receive a lifetime of membership benefits like a credit card APR average that is four percent lower than the industries member only exclusive rates and more. Visit Navy Federal dot org slash solid for more information.
Speaker 2: Call one eight eight eight eight four to two six three two eight or download the Navy Federal Credit Union app today.
Speaker 1: Message in data rates may apply. Visit Navy Federal dot org for more information. Welcome to the Solid Verbal That for me, Helloa come out. Welcome back to the Solid Verbal, Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always over there in New York City. My man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you Ty?
Speaker 2: I am ready to shed some virtual poundage. Yeah, buddy, ready to clean up my act.
Speaker 1: I'm ready for this show. So we teased this show on Twitter. I tease this show on Twitter. It's something that we've been working on for what two two and a half weeks now. We thought maybe you'd be a novel concept. It truly is peak off season Solid Verbal MM hm. The only time of year you're ever going to find us do a show like this. But we've got a little something special for all y'all this evening. Dan, Perhaps you have heard of a show called Tidying Up with Marie Condo on Netflix. Mari Condo, Yes, it is all the rage right now. It's Netflix original stars Marie Kondo.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: She's a four foot seven, tiny Japanese woman who teaches people what she calls the kN Mari method of decluttering their houses. Really, it's a show about life. It's not just to make cleaning your house. The Solid Wife really really really got into this with all italics, really got into it. She got my mom into it, so then Mama h got Uncle Joe Colaruso into it. This is a worldwide sensation and it has fully taken hold of my family. So I started thinking, Daniel, can we apply the kN Mari method to the Solid Verbal podcast?
Speaker 2: Can we declutter the virtual college football house that we have built a foundation upon over many years?
Speaker 1: As it is now.
Speaker 2: April, early April April fourth, we're recording this right and it's their spring practice, so we're sort of rebooting and refreshing our brains for not just the off season, but the season to come and what everything means. So in a way, we're not only declin cluttering this house, but we're decluttering our minds, which is what the con Marii method is to sort of breathe fresh air for the first time in a long time by decluttering your life.
Speaker 1: So here is the way that the method works. The first thing you do is you go through all the clothing, then your books, then your kitchen, bathroom and garage, then all your paper, then all your sentimental items miscellanea. Yeah, so that's what we're gonna do here today. We're going to take a look at all the stuff, all the items that we've collected emotional and otherwise. We're over the last decade of college football podcast and we're going to put all on a giant pile, going to thank everything for its support of course and essential of the kon Marii method, and to thank it. But then we're going to figure out what's going to spark joy and what goes with us into the future or what we're going to leave behind. So a good example, Yeah, right now, I'm wearing the Georgia Tech Capitol one Orange Bowl champions hat that you sent me a couple of years ago. You absolutely are. It's still sparks joy. So I play this and I'm going to hold on to it. I like hearing that.
Speaker 2: So we're selecting items as we rampage and ransack this college football house. That's spark joy that they has to stay in our lives.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Otherwise we're donating it to the great college football beyond thanking it for all that it has done for us, and moving forward, perhaps somebody else would find it to be more useful in their lives.
Speaker 1: I think that's a responsible thing to do.
Speaker 2: Do what we should stomp through this house, TI, We've got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of stuff before we go any further. Don't forget solverbal at gmail dot com as always is the email. Find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. We've got a subreddit out there started buy Verballers for Verballers. It's reddit dot com. Slash are Slash Solid Verbal and don't forget to join our newsletter. Dan and I are working on a bunch of stuff in the laboratory. If you want to sign up for the news letter of intent, it's free. We won't spam. You just go to sliverbo dot com or website, fill out the form and get yourself signed up. Where do you want to start? Why don't you be the first too? Rummage through this decades old podcast house that we've constructed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not all clothes. Let's start here. Let's start with Oh gosh, okay, let's start with I've got this old and it's sentimental. It's a Notre Dame hard candy tray. Oh god, and it's it's been passed down from generation to generation. I don't really eat hard candy. I'm not really big on the Werthers the reasons, but for like this, it is an heirloom tie, and it would feel weird to have a hard candy tray emblazoned with Ara Parsegan's face anywhere anywhere but my my coffee table. So it does spark joy, making fun of the elderly and Notre Dame even I wouldn't even say even, I would say especially after going to the playoff and getting everybody's hopes up and just getting completely demolished. To have probably a fan base upset about going undefeated and finishing that way is I have to keep it close to my homes.
Speaker 1: Where did you get the Notre Dame hard candy tray? To begin with? I don't know.
Speaker 2: My pappy's grandpappy was the one who originally had it, and it's just been passed down from Rubenstein to Rubinstein. You know, the Rubensteins are from the northeast this country. So somebody probably liked Notre Dame or just liked laughing at other Notre Dame fans enough that they thought it was ironic to keep it on their coffee table. So I am making fun of elderly Notre Dame fans. Sparks joy for me. So it's hanging around. It's not too big, it's not too cumbersome, and there will be butterscotch over butterscotch stains over airparks.
Speaker 1: But what forever? What is our rule here on sparking joy? Does it need to spark joy for both of us in order to keep it in the podcasting house or just one of us? Just one of us?
Speaker 2: We each get to make calls on the various man various items.
Speaker 1: All right, it's March Joy. We'll keep it around the butterscotch stained era PARSI he rummage through destroy here for a second. This could be a little bit emotional for me. Mm hmm. I've got here at keepsake that was given to me by both TCU and Ole Miss, labeled here with a card, one of those little heart cards on it that says from the both of us. Yeah. I have had this in my possession since about two thousand and four. As you know, I've been very tight with TCU and very tight with old Miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're holding on to to a love of a bygone era.
Speaker 1: For as long as I can remember. The thing is, every time I'm ready to move on, I see one of the other out at Wegmans and it's like, yeah, they changed their hair. It's like, oh, maybe maybe we could grab coffee sometimes. And then eventually you get close enough and you realize, oh, this isn't this isn't working. So it's this constant seesaw that I've been on over I'm being honest here the last fifteen years of my life with TCU and Old Miss.
Speaker 2: In your darker moments, you will retreat to your closet and find that old land shark's jean jacket. Let's smell it. Just get up in there and smell the land Shark of Days, the Robert kim.
Speaker 1: Dcha T shirt Jersey still sparks joy. Okay, but the question is what about this keepsake? M h, I think it's time to move on. It gave me a lot of good years, Dan, a lot of good years. But I cannot be at a place in twenty nineteen where I'm still going on Facebook and looking up TCU and old Miss to see what they're doing, to look at the latest pictures. This keepsake is just a bitter reminder of bygones. I think I need to move past I'm married now, I know what the hell's time. I need to move past my TCU and ole Miss thing, and this keepsake is really just bringing up bad memories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should have gone on an eight prey love journey to really fully get over all Miss and tc you by now.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna thank it, thank you, thank you, thank you. We'll give it one final play here this little music box. So does this mean we'll send it on its way?
Speaker 2: Does this mean officially you will be down on TCU and ole Miss come August.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean I'll be down on t or extend that you won't be up. You won't be high on that. I'm going to be very ambivalent.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've been hurt, I have Okay, you're human. Okay, let's move on throughout this house. Let's go outside. I'm looking at this Jim Harbaugh backyard trampoline, and I say to myself, I've had some good times. It was pricey, for sure, but there's something inevitable about a backyard trampoline.
Speaker 1: Do you think trampolines are a good idea?
Speaker 2: I think trampolines when you are caught up in the moment and they are defensible, it's you can, you know, hours of fun. You can do all you can put it by a pool, a basketball hoop. They're versatile, you know you can if you're athletic enough, you can do flips. You can bounce people who are sitting others. Yes, I think trampolines are mostly fun, but there's always a dark side. It doesn't matter if you put netting around. It doesn't matter if you hire new coaches.
Speaker 1: And netting is never high enough for a tramp enough.
Speaker 2: It's never strong enough it. You know, moving on to a new offensive coordinator is Yes, it's the sensible move, but is that what truly ails the trampoline or is it the trampoline itself? And so I am going to thank this trampoline for giving me years and years of fun and fodder. But I think it's time to donate this trampoline. You know, you're only supposed to own a trampoline for so long. Kids grow up and move out, and I think it's it's time for a new stop for this trampoline. I don't I don't want to put this trampoline out, you know, on the curb. I want to find a good owner. But the Jim Harbaugh backyard trampoline, for me, I'm not sure that it has an everyday use anymore.
Speaker 1: For me, trampolines are a bad idea, man, I'm telling you, Jim Harbaugh is a fully bad idea.
Speaker 2: But I think there's something inevitably dark about the trampoline experience.
Speaker 1: See YouTube videos of the trampoline blowing over in gale force winds, or someone going a little too.
Speaker 2: It's the double jump, and all of a sudden somebody tears in a killer.
Speaker 1: That's right. So I was gonna I was gonna go there next. But yeah, sometimes you stray a little bit too far from the center as long as a chance of cracking your head on the side. Yeah, it's just not a good idea.
Speaker 2: Do you have a personal favorite? As we go off into a tangent, but also it's related to the home sort of a personal favorite type of YouTube fail category.
Speaker 1: I know what yours is by the old QVC fails of the guy falling off the ladder. Of course, these are all horrible things that sound like terrible people, but.
Speaker 2: Fails in which clearly the person is not seriously debilitated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's an old QVC ladder fall video if you google that one. That's an old time favorite. There's one with the guy in the Samurai sword where the sword breaks on QVC. Anything caught on QVC generally will make me giggle. Mm hmmm. I like that. Okay, I have two.
Speaker 2: The first is wedding dances gonna rye Okay, sure, when a couple really goes for it practicing and they're gonna swing dance and there's a toss and then somebody goes through a table. That gets me. That is just that is right up my alley. But my main fail jam that I would like to spread on my brain toast tie is little kids in power wheels. Power wheels fail right, power wheels fails are just you know, out of control down a hill, falling asleep at the wheel and doing donuts. I just can't get enough. So trampoline fails are not up there for me because it's.
Speaker 1: Just too dark. All right, let me go through this here. This is probably gonna be an easy one. Mm hmm. Just pull us out of closet for a second. What do we want to do with this sexier than Etzel board game that we have from Partner Brothers. It's so specific.
Speaker 2: It was given away at an early seven September game.
Speaker 1: I think we got this. We got this at a Yukon yard sale, didn't we? We did? We did very expensive. I mean I think I speak for both of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the new guess who. Yeah, okay, you got to flip down tiles. All right, let me go back in the box here. I've had this one wrapped up for a while. I pull it out. M M.
Speaker 1: I don't know what every August September this is the is Texas back needle point throw pillow.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so this was to rest your head.
Speaker 1: This was given to us on one of our eight trips to the south by Southwest, the question of whether or not Texas is back has been a recurring one. As you know, we've been doing the show. It's going to be for I don't know how many years, now, eleven years. I'll get close to you, Hu, get close to you. We've been wondering when Texas is going to be back forever, and so having this throw pillow close to us always is something that just constantly reminds us. Now, the fact that Texas is not back, Dan, where do you stand on this?
Speaker 2: I think it ties the room together. That's where I stand. Yeah, I don't want this home to look like a model home. I want it to look like us, and so especially you, you love this question. It sparks a weird amount of joy for you. I couldn't imagine you owning a couch without your Texas is Texas back throw pillow.
Speaker 1: See, this is a very close relative of that keepsake I got from TCU and Old Miss. Because Texas being Texas serves a purpose? Is this has a function? Texas being Texas was in the lexicon, I think even before TCU and Old Miss. But certainly you can put your head down on this it can comfort you. For me, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's still sparks joy, like you said, ties the room together, still an essential part of what we do here in this podcasting house.
Speaker 2: So does this theme mean that you don't want Texas to be back? You do want Texas to be back to whatever that actually means, or that you relish bathing in the purgatory that is Texas football. Perhaps starting out really well and having people rush to saying Texas is back, or by the end of the season having it be sort of open ended like it was after last year, where there were some down moments and close calls and ugliness. But winning the Sugar Bowl brings about this throw pillow to the forefront that it is a centerpiece of your college football's brain living room.
Speaker 1: The answer to all of your questions is no, Okay, I look at this. This is a podcasting house that we are rummaging through here, right, look at all the crap we got in this house. Okay, we've gathered this for well over a decade here. Yeah, now it's all here. I don't want Texas to not be back, nor do I want Texas to be back I enjoy the fact that as a podcast we can continually ask the question whether or not they are, and depending on who you ask, people see different things. But that's part of what makes it amusing to me. It's just the question that has never answered. You really liked the last season of Lost, didn't you? I never saw Lost dank, that's weird.
Speaker 2: I just people that enjoy that last season are just garbage TV. Well I never saw any That's like a big JJ Abrams thing, Like, it's not the answer, it's the question.
Speaker 1: Okay, well there you go. That's kind of where I'm at with this.
Speaker 2: All right, our next item the dependable as I rummaged through my closet and we all have items where of clothing where it's not that it's the most stylish thing, it's not that it's the most comfortable thing, but you really just feel like yourself right sure, whether it's a button down or a pair of jeans or shoes or socks, where it's just difficult to get rid of it because you're like, oh, this is just a classic item in my wardrobe. And as I'm going through this and I something just fell my Northwestern cardigan. Okay, that you know you don't really have to wear in September, which is good because it's rough in September for Northwestern, But come October, there's something very comforting about light warmth tie, like it's not going to do all sorts of heavy lifting come December or January. You know, it's not a parka, it's not a puffy jacket, it's not a coat, it's not a pea coat. But there's something very comforting like, Oh, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna throw on this CARDI yeah, and really just enjoy this fall walk on some leaves, and I can always depend on that cardigan, just feeling soft on my skin and keeping me just a little warm. But come come some challenging days, come wintry mixed days, come sleet days, come thunder snow. I can't depend on this cardigan.
Speaker 1: Cardigan. We're a cardigan in thunder snow.
Speaker 2: Dan, No, absolutely not. I think it's time to thank this cardigan for all that it has done and making me feel like me. But I mean, it's dependable, Dan, It's dependable. It's dependable. What's better than a crisp fall walk, ty, But I think I'm upgrading. I think I need some more fleece in my life. I think I need a hood in case it starts to sprinkle. And the cardigan, while comforting, is something that I'm just not ready to fully enjoy anymore, knowing what else is out there. And so I tip my hat to you Northwestern, but need I need some and stronger later in the season, That's what I need. I know you beat a team like Notre Dame a few years ago. I know that that that did you well in the wind, but come, Ohio State, come Michigan.
Speaker 1: Being pretty warm is not good enough for me anymore. Bygones, be bygones, let's go be gone. Here's here. What do you have? This is actually still in the box, okay, and I'm a little bit I'm a little bit afraid to spray it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get to it, but you just haven't yet.
Speaker 1: It's still in the box. I'm afraid to take this out and spray it because, as you know, it's rather intoxicating. I think a lot of people who listen to the show may have this in their closet as well. I'm talking about that old vintage two thousand and five USC cologne Ooh, that we got you see that all the way in the back corner. I like it. Most of the team is now on Fox Sports. That's right.
Speaker 2: It has a distinct smell. You immediately know what you're looking at and seeing and those are the same things and smelling and just the general vibe when you're around somebody, maybe it was you wearing that USC cologne.
Speaker 1: Do we want to keep this around? First off, I don't know what this smells like. If I spray this, it smells like the sweat of lofa tatupu. Okay, if the solid wife comes in here and smells this, she'll be none too pleased. I think we need to get rid of this. I actually think how that this has done more harm than good to USC fans, certainly to Clay Helton. Having that old USC cologne around is not doing anyone any favors. That being said, that old USC team was so much fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are many of them. I don't know if there's a specific Well, I've.
Speaker 1: Got the I've got the ticket from the two thousand and five Notre Dame USC game, the Bush Push game that I was at laminated and up on the studio wall here. Yeah, so I'm willing to hold onto that as my memorabilia from the USC team's gone past, and not so much this cologne, which, once it gets up at your nostrils, it's just you can't get rid of it. It's a lot. It takes you over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's something that is very disarming in a bad way about walking into a room and like, oh, USC guy, Okay, I know what we're dealing with here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna bring up Pete Carroll. Cool.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, she's talking about two thousand and four. Wow, that is fifteen years ago. There is something that is alarming and almost I don't want to be too mean here, but predictable. And I want some change in my life. I want something new. There's just something stale about this old cologne. And I don't have a problem with cologne in general. Tie, let's upgrade the scent. We don't all need to smell the same, we don't all need to do it.
Speaker 1: And then I way, So the final point here on USC, and it's not relevant so much to the cologne as it is the current state of USC. But I had a big gathering here last weekend big fantasy draft, Fantasy Baseball draft, and one of my friends is a diehard USC fan, huge USC fan, and the question in the room for him was do you like Clay Helton? How do you feel about Clay Helton? That's so mean? He looked very casually at the room and said, I like him, just not as the coach. Oh, okay, yeah, I thought was a good answer, good way to answer the quite everyone likes Clay Hilton the man as a coach. Different story.
Speaker 2: That's like the ultimate real life list exactly. He's a good guy. Also, Lofa Tatubaho was not on the two thousand and five squad. So the USC cologne smells like a sweaty Brian Cushing. That sounds about right, Brian Cushing after wind sprints. If you can let that fill your nose?
Speaker 1: All right? Where are we going next? Here? All right?
Speaker 2: Next, let's go to Oh. I like this one Florida state and the bird feeder. Okay, it's brought to the world obviously. A bird feeder is something you use to attract some You like a good bird tie.
Speaker 1: I do like birding. I am an avid birder.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you have a bird feeder in your backyard? I have two two birds? Actually no, I have three I'm three bird feeders.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: A bird feeder when it's working properly, attracts birds, feeds birds, gives them a sanctuary, a place to sort of relax develop as birds. You know how people talk, really develop their song.
Speaker 1: They stop buy for some multiplication table shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Florida State bird feeder is a nightmare. It's leaking seed, it's never filled, the walls are collapsing, it's never fit. You think a bird is going to come, and then the bird just flies over to the North Carolina bird feeder. It's it's something that I thought was going to be a really good idea. I thought, Man, this bird feeder is going to attract so many quality birds to my backyard and it's really going to be the centerpiece of this this area.
Speaker 1: Of my house. And all you got were squirrels.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of squirrels, a lot of pets. It's you know, a lot of holes in the bird house. I just the construction of the bird feeder and the bird house on my part was shoddy. And I think it's oh, you built cut bait. I built the bird house. Who you know with the Florida State instruction structure, manual and really thought I was going to do a good job, but it seemed like an I got a lot of great birds nearby, it should be nothing to get them into my backyard, and it's just been a nightmare so far.
Speaker 1: Time. Do you have a big backyard in Brooklyn? Huge? Uncommon? Uncommon? But the idea was sound.
Speaker 2: I stand by the idea, but my execution, I think has been problematic, and I just am going to go a different direction.
Speaker 1: So if I understand correctly, you are, I'm going to thank myself. You are taking responsibility for the struggles I am, the trials and tribulations of the Florida State bird feeder.
Speaker 2: Does that mean a new bird house could be a good fresh start.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but this one is not working out so far from me, and so that's my fault.
Speaker 1: I'm moving on. I want to go to I haven't played with these in forever. Listen to this? Are you listening? Can you hear? I'm listening? Wow? That is my Alex hornybrook A limited edition series of pop guns. Okay, I got these. I got these from an adoring Wisconsin fan many moons ago. As you know, I've got this thing for pop gun arms in you do college football and it goes almost the original. The original was Bryant Monies from Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was gonna say Timmy Chang, but I got the wrong Hawaii quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Bryant Mooney. And I'm not disparaging any of these guys. They played college quarterback. I did not, so they've already got that on me. But you know, the style of the game's a little bit different when you got a guy like a Bryant Monies just doesn't doesn't really throw with a high rate of velocity. Okay, I think he had a Heisman campaign. He may have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eleven was a bad quarterback.
Speaker 1: Just didn't throw the ball very hard. How to angle it up to get it out? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's on your all pop pop gun arm team?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Brian Maees is on Rushmore. Okay, he's up there on a personal level. Tommy Reevees is at least in the conversation. You could probably put Trace mc sorely in that conversation as well. Have Horny for Hornybrook. I've got Hornybrook here. I would probably need some time to really put together a comprehensive list, but I'm willing to do that because this is something I'm passionate about.
Speaker 2: Also, just tweet us or email us about who your favorite pop gun and like, this is to be clear, they're successful despite not having a lot of arm strength.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: It's it's playing a football video game or any sports video game when like the health level is in the red and there you have no more turbo kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, I don't think Tim Tebow would quite fit into this count.
Speaker 2: He's enough army. He's had a weird, weird motion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hercuy jerky motion, and he was very inaccurate. But I'm talking about someone who just doesn't throw it very hard but still ends up being somewhat successful. You can make a case for Ian book right now out notre game obviously very successful. Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore, Yes, probably in a pretty good arm He was.
Speaker 2: More anticipatory, so he wasn't gunning it in somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are a lot of quarterbacks who rely on timing based roots to have success at the college level. This was given to me in an ironic sense because I've long had fascination fascination with the pop gun arm. Kink.
Speaker 2: Can I go as far as saying, kink.
Speaker 1: Sure if you want. It's uncomfortable, I'm grimacing, but yeah.
Speaker 2: College, I mean, we did a hot and bothered episode.
Speaker 1: We did, we did. I'm just never really that into the pop gun arm. I think it's time I let this go as well, because, as we saw with Trace last year, as we saw with Ian Book last year, as we've seen time in again with college quarterbacks, having a pop gun arm does not necessarily make you a losing and or ineffective quarterback, right. It might not make you an NFL prospect, But then again, we don't do an NFL show, right, and largely we don't really give a d NFL the NFL on a college football show. So I am willing to take these pop gos more pop on the Alex Mornybrook Limited Edition pop Gun. I want to take it and throw it out the window here, donate it to a kid looking for a Christmas toy. But I think it's had its run with me.
Speaker 2: I'm going through all these teams. I don't know who I would I gotta go. I think about this. I have to think about my pop gun arm rankings.
Speaker 1: Listen if you give me the weekend dog, I can come back with a full on pop gun Google doc Jake Browning.
Speaker 2: Okay, even an okay arm. I think you have good ones. Give it some thought and nobody with the yips. You can't say stave no, okay, no, yes, that's different.
Speaker 1: Help me out. That's solid verbal. Let me know all pop gun arm hall of fame.
Speaker 2: Weak yet successful throwers.
Speaker 1: Yes, where are we going next? Dan? Let me all right? You ever open up that kitchen drawer? You know how it's like, why do we have eight scissors in here? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's the James Franklin egg timer. Okay, so why did we have this to begin with? That's a good question you. I mean, when you're setting up a kitchen, you need to have the essentials right. And I know most ovens have built in timers. You can use the microwave. But sometimes you want to fall back of old analog technology. Let's get rid of it. Let's just this is taking up room. It doesn't we have we have stop watches on our phones. I think it's time to get over relying on James Franklin and timing anything correctly to make properly. Yeah, this is taking up way too much room in the drawer. Now I can't I can't see from here what it looks like. Is it branded James Franklin? Oh, his head is on it for really, Yes, and it has like his signature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hmmm. It's cruel that they would even make this given his end of game awareness.
Speaker 2: Almost ironic tie a little bit. Yeah, let's get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Let's just ditch it.
Speaker 2: We're tossing a lot out here. Yeah, this feels very healthy.
Speaker 1: Give me somebody you have next, give me something else, Go ahead.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go with. Oh, this one's tough. This is tough for me because there's a usefulness to it that is for me going to be hard to part ways with. The Mark d Antonio crate of tangled digital cables.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have so. I had my eye on this too. You want to get rid of the whole crate.
Speaker 2: Well, I just need to go through it and figure out what's actually working, because there's a lot of use in the defensive cables, but they're tangled with everything.
Speaker 1: You've got and that freighted lightning cable that I think will still deliver power but might give you a shock.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of problematic offensive cables in here. There's a lot of FireWire, and I don't think FireWire is coming back.
Speaker 1: No, and I.
Speaker 2: Should get rid of it much in the way that this coaching staff on offense should be overhauled. But I just at some point I'm gonna say to myself, well, maybe Tis Mixer has FireWire and I should bring it on the road. He'll ask me to bring it on the road, and it would be awful if I get rid of it. And we can't find a fire Why we can't find a radio shack or a best Buy in still Water, Oklahoma. I just it's hard for me to part with because it has brought me.
Speaker 1: So much use. It's almost metaphorical.
Speaker 2: Do you have a crate of tangled digital cabs? Do I have like eight crates?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is the likelihood on a scale of one to ten that you will or are willing to go through that create and actually throw any of those cables out?
Speaker 2: It's tough for me personally. It's like a four. I know I should, and sometimes I find myself needing certain cables that I know I probably have micro USB that kind of thing, but I just have it for the like just in case moments. And I know by going through it, I'm going to ruin the future for myself.
Speaker 1: So when I was moving in here, I went through my house and I found one of those old cables for an Iomega zip drive. You remember that? Oh? Yeah, of course? And I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. Really, what if I need to use it? Yeah? What could you possibly? I don't know nothing nothing. I don't even know where the zip drive is. Che can't get rid of old cables.
Speaker 2: Get rid of it, get rid of these this offensive coaching staff. I'm out until Michigan State gets rid of this coaching staff. I don't care about Rocky Lombardi. I don't care about any of this update or suffer the consequences of me not caring that much, me not believing in you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on next. Let's rummage through here and see what we can find. Okay, here we go, Here we go. Let's go to our Gus mals On commemorative hour glass dand ooh, okay, here is what I love about this hour glass.
Speaker 2: Doesn't take up a lot of room.
Speaker 1: Doesn't take a lot of room, doesn't collect a lot of dust. Cost one million dollars, cost one million dollars. Yeah. What I love about this hour glass, Dan, is there is infinite sand in the top chamber, A million dollar hour glass that never actually runs out of the sand.
Speaker 2: Okay, the time's never up. The time is never up. No matter how much it looks like the the grains are going to start making their way down, always finds a way to just stop and exist.
Speaker 1: A million dollar hourglass here. So are you?
Speaker 2: Does it bring you joy that Gus mals On is somehow able to cheat time time after time.
Speaker 1: I think it's a question akin to is Texas back? Really? I just enjoy the fact that we find ourselves in this situation every year where you like the unease? Is his time going to be up? Right? No, they're gonna win ten games, Gus Belzan is safe. No, they're gonna win seven games like six and seven. This constant push pull is what keeps me coming back for more. While I'm I'm gonna say this sparks joy. Never getting rid of this. I like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a nice mantlepiece, a conversation piece. All Right, this one's gonna be rough for me because as we go out into the garage. I still have this. It's a dusty crate of mary Kay and Herbal Life products with a with each of them having a big old Oregon o on them. Got a lot of recruiting involved, We got a lot of flash and salesmanship and whether or not these products are going to get me the riches that I would like to have, And so there's definitely somebody at top of pyramid. I was gonna say possible pyramid scheme, not even possible for sure. And it's a matter of can I flip this into results. I think I can make a decent living with all these mary Kay and Herbal Life products. Decent living, but in terms of becoming wealthy, I don't know. I need more than salesmanship and recruiting. I need to see results, and I just I can't in good conscience say I'm seeing results. Yet I'm gonna give it more time. I'm gonna let this crate hang around. I'm gonna dust it off, but I'm not optimistic, but I'm giving it a little more time. It sparks enough joy in me that I'm going to try to keep recruiting and see.
Speaker 1: Where that gets me. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I feel a little bit icky though, Ichy, that's okay, okay, lots of colors with all the Mary Kay stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's stay out west, Okay. We actually have something that might be worth a lot bit of money here. What do we have? It is not this podcast, as you know now. We have a first edition an original manuscript of Art of the Deal by Larry Scott. Oh eugh, Larry Scott wrote the original manuscrit. So Larry Scott. I didn't know this about him, but Larry Scott was formerly a professional tennis player. He was and I think ran the WTA, ran the WTA for a while, got up to I think sixty ninth in the world I saw as a doubles tennis player, which is a little okay, pretty good. Something like two hundred and tenth was his highest rating as a singles player.
Speaker 2: What are the big cornerstone elements of Larry Scott's Guide to Succeeding in the Business of Conference or is chapter three look like one of those sample Microsoft Publisher pages with just a bunch of digits and letters as just fill in.
Speaker 1: I never figured out why it has Laura Mipsom in here. A lot of Laura ipsom and why the remember the little paper clip guy from the old Microsoft work, Like, why is he atop the page here on chapter three? Right? I don't really know if there is a strategy, Dan. That's part of my confusion with why this book ever got published.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of fire festival to this book. There's a lot of just like, screw it, let's do it and be legends and no matter what happens that Larry Scott is gonna still sell a ton of copies and run.
Speaker 1: Off with some cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't Larry.
Speaker 1: Scott just get in trouble for spending like seventy five hundred dollars at the Aria in Vegas?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know if it was his or that. Probably the conference is money. I mean, if we want to get into Larry Scott, I think he's on a lot of things pretty poorly, but there's a lot that's out of his hands. And I talked about this a little bit with who did we have on I think it was Bruce Felban about the PAC twelve and the autopsy where it's just like if USC were awesome two years ago and finished out Washington State on the road and made the playoff. This conversation is not as loud like if the top of the conference were better. We're not necessarily paying attention to Larry Scott's hotel room pricing. So art of the deal, Larry Scott. I think it's a it's an ironic party gift that I think is worth keeping because it's a first edition.
Speaker 1: This is something that you take to a white elephant. Yes, do we want to say it's sparks joy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you're down on your luck financially, you throw it on eBay. You're getting ten fifteen dollars. Absolutely, first edition. All right, we'll hold on to that one.
Speaker 1: Hold on to it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let me rummage through the here please for a second. Oh, I think we're making such good progress.
Speaker 1: Look at this place. It's really it's spick and spit. So I have this next item in an old plastic container. I probably should have given it a little bit more respect. But walk me through it. You know, I moved. I have here the ashes of the Big Twelve that were donated to us by Dan Bebe. Yeah, donated by Dan Beebee and maybe by our friend Chip Brown as well. Yeah. So the the Big Twelve has as you know, long been a talking point for all the wrong reasons. Okay, the Big.
Speaker 2: Twelve is a fine matty Memphis, you see, a.
Speaker 1: Fine college football conference with a lot of history. But there was that moment where we all thought that the biggest teams in the Pac twelve we're going to be consumed by like the Pack forty two to create some super conference. During all that, all that that angst that surrounded conference realignment or the conference.
Speaker 2: Texas, Texas A and m Oklahoma Oklahoma State gonna move to pack that was I think those are the teams.
Speaker 1: I think it was something like that. It was definitely both of the Oklahomas, Yes, and Texas. That was a thing. So we thought the Big twelve was dead or that it wasn't going to look at all like it does today. Two teams did leave the Big twelve. So now the Big twelve only has ten and there are some longer term questions about where this conference goes, what this conference looks like fifteen twenty years down the line.
Speaker 2: I'm saying Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: State, Colorado, Colorado.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, yeah, So Nebraska and Colorado leave for the Big ten and Pack twelve, respectively.
Speaker 1: Given the success, I think at the very top of the Big Twelve conference, it is really looking like these Ashes spawned a new Big twelve something to be a little bit more excited about. Like maybe these Ashes were created prematurely, but also maybe these Ashes could be relevant at some point down the line here given what I think we both agree is a little bit of instability, given the state of college for Pole elsewhere.
Speaker 2: I think the Big Twelve as it stands now so the Ashes have formed into like a uh like one of the fast and furious, tiny little cars. Okay, it's you know, a tiny little Honda. What's smaller than in a chord a civic.
Speaker 1: It's like a souped up civic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're fun, they're fast, sounds like a lawnmower, there's excitement, sounds like a lawnmower, size of a riding mower. But in terms of utility, there's not much more you can do with a souped up civic than race. It's not super dependable. It's going to break down a.
Speaker 1: Little nos in that little nas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, I think the little Nas is Lincoln Riley or Kyler Murray for that matter. But it's sure as hell is fun and that's fine, all right, So keep the urn, keep the civic whatever.
Speaker 1: What do we think of the eighty inch olead here that we have the Alabama eighty inch olead. It's a lot, It's taking up a lot of room. It's big for the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is big for the house, big for the room. Can't look away. And you know what they say abominated.
Speaker 1: TVs is that you can always go bigger, always always go. And I gotta be honest. If you go online, you can find TV size calculators where you have to measure your room. How far away is your couch from where you're going to put your television. There are all sorts of online calculators that help you do this very thing. In my house here they told me I could have a ninety inch television. Wow, a ninety inch a ninety inch television? Well, humble brag. Yeah, No, it's not a big room. That's my point.
Speaker 2: Huge room, ty, I get it. I'm twelve magnum TV.
Speaker 1: I'm twelve feet away from where I wanted to put the TV. And according to the Motion Picture Association of America, I should have a ninety inch screen. How big do you go? I didn't go ninety. I'll tell you that I didn't go fifty five? Sixty five? Who went sixty five? And that's about That's about the upper limit, Rockfeller. But eighty inches eighty inches, no moss.
Speaker 2: You think that's too dominant in a room?
Speaker 1: Ah, you kidding me.
Speaker 2: You want to be able to see the totality of the room and an eighty inch O lead? Is that what people are buying?
Speaker 1: Now? Would? I would suggest O lead? If you're going to buy a big TV, you don't need to recommend a brand proteg us. There's only one brand that makes it, but that's a protein go O lead. What does the O stand for? Or? Oh? Uh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna I'm gonna hold on to this eighty inchuir.
Speaker 1: You could put it in a man cave, or you could sell it if you're hard up for cash. What was there's a commercial? She shed? She shed?
Speaker 2: Sure that she shed? Yeah, I'm gonna hang on to this. Jody with and eye has been bugging me about getting a bigger TV for a Why is that true? That is true? I have the same forty six inch Sony I've had since two thousand and nine, and it's time. It still works though, Ty, okay, the processor still works, so I have a hard time. Yeah, it's I understand why people will say it's dominating a room. You know, why don't we treat this room a little bit more sensibly?
Speaker 1: But I mean.
Speaker 2: Results or results and Jaws looks killer on an eight inch O lead.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Okay, what do you think about to Scott Frost P ninety X DVDs? Are you ever gonna pop those in? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have it back here in my closet. Hold on, yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: Are you ever gonna pop those in and see if you can get the full transformation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's aggressive transformation. I man DVDs. I don't even know how I would play a DVD. You know that throwback feeling that you get from Scott Frost and Nebraska.
Speaker 1: You can't even pop a DVD in your laptop anymore, No, absolutely not. Don't have an optical drive.
Speaker 2: I am going to try and figure out a way to get it done, like if the videos are on YouTube or something, or I can stream it somehow I can buy a digital version. But ultimately, long term, I don't think the results I have in the back of.
Speaker 1: My head aka an eight pack sure.
Speaker 2: Align with reality of what's happening as a thirty five year old dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, See the problem with workout DVDs is that every time you go online to try and find reviews, everything is very positive.
Speaker 2: Of course, remember tybo I served Billy Blank's ribs in high school.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, that's true, you know. I mean, where's he now?
Speaker 2: I assume West Hills, California. But I don't know what kind.
Speaker 1: Of staying power does this workout really have? What kind of transformational power does it have? Can it transform you in a timely fashion so that you don't lose your patience?
Speaker 2: I think Billy Blanks is Blanks? Are Banks Blanks b l A n ks. I think Billy Blanks is not like Olsen Twin wealthy, but I think he's chased Daniel wealthy. I'm like, I have not seen him do much lately. How much is he?
Speaker 1: Wow? He is worth a lot of money. He's wearing a yellow singlet on the video that I pulled up here on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, Billy Blank is worth thirty million dollars?
Speaker 1: WHOA Wow? Good for Billy. That might be worth about Scott Frost.
Speaker 2: To be honest, so I feel like the results will happen with Scott Frost, the Scott Frost DVDs. I feel like there will be noticeable, impressive results. Okay, eight pack, jiggly Pecks, thunder Calves power Glutes.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm getting to be an Apex predator with Scott Frost Power p ninety xdvds. I don't think I'm there. I'm not becoming dk Metcalf and thus I believe Nebraska tops out at ten and two, nine and three interest consistently. Yeah, impressive, huge physical transformation turnaround eight pack in power glutes. I don't know, I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the guy from that MTV show? What was it, the one where they want the perfect body. Oh, the calf surgery and he had the calf implants.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was made or something.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a cousin of maid. Yeah, I don't know what got me thinking about that. We've really covered some ground here from Thunderclves, Billy Blanks too. It was true life, life, true life and yeah, you google calf implants MTV, it shows up right away.
Speaker 1: I think about that monthly.
Speaker 2: Ty I'm going to read you according to Complex. Yeah, and you're just based on these titles and you can't choose calf implant guy. Okay, Complex has the greatest MTV True Life characters of all time. And so I'm going to say true Life and I'm going to do post Colon. I'm going to tell you True Life Colon. Okay, you ready, sure? True Life. I have a hot mom. True Life. I'm addicted to sex. True Life. I'm addicted to food. True Life. I hate the government. True Life. I'm a fanboy. True Life. I'm a street racer. Okay, shout out to the civic. True Life. I'm dead broke. True Life. I live on the border. True Life. I'm a sex offender. True Life. I'm getting unusual plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: There we go. True Life. I have embarrassing parents.
Speaker 2: The sequel. True Life. I'm a gamer. Oh poor guy.
Speaker 1: True Life.
Speaker 2: I'm coming out. True Life. I stutter. True Life. I'm an alcoholic. True Life. I'm addicted to crystal meth. Wow to return. True Life. I'm deaf. True Life. I have schizophrenia. True Life. I have OCD. True Life. I'm addicted to porn. Don't isolate that audio true Life. I want the perfect body. I think this is the calf that.
Speaker 1: Had to be the calf guy. Right. I don't know why I remember the perfect body bit of that, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is true life. I'm getting married true life. I have a summer share. Okay, I think the clear winner is true life. I have a hot mom, because it's somebody talking about having a hot mom and that's hilariously awkward. Oh man, So yeah, the Captain plank guy was wonderful. I've never looked at anybody's calves.
Speaker 1: We've got time for a few more things here, all right, give me, let's walk through this house. We got off topic. Let's let's tape up some of that old stuff that we've got. Oh, thank you. Oh I feel we're going to donate all this stuff. Let's let's go back to the Big twelve for a second. Okay, do we really need these Lincoln Riley moving pods?
Speaker 2: Oh god, this is just almost pragmatic.
Speaker 1: It's pragmatic, but it's taking up critical sight lines in the backyard. We want to put a paver patio back here off the back edge of the podcasting house, right, want to have a nice grill station. M want to have a good place where our guests can gather and listen to the verbal as we typically have here at the podcast house, as you know, Dan, But these moving pots, we got nowhere to put the moving pods. They're really at the top of the driveway. They're huge, they're an eye sore, and they're getting in the way.
Speaker 2: They make moving very convenient, though they do if you need to move at the drop of a hat. They do in a colder month. Yeah, they don't spark joy for me. Okay, I think they're very practical. But I think if we need to get moving pods, we can always just call an order more moving pods. It's not somethfficient to keep on hand, at least not at this juncture, because I think Lincoln Riley is going to be staying.
Speaker 1: Put for a while. Really, yeah, I don't know, you don't think.
Speaker 2: So there comes a time to capitalize on one's success. And let's say and let's say Jalen Hurts doesn't work out in the way he's not in the same stratosphere as Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield, and all of a sudden, Lincoln Riley's name goes from scorching hot to merely warm. I could see him not wanting to fall further away, farther away from NFL general managers. And not that the money is one thing. Because college you can make a ton of money. That's not a huge deal. He's living in Norman, Oklahoma. It's not a particularly expensive place to live, per my guess. But I don't think if they go nine to three this year, all of a sudden, he might see his name shrink and freak out a little bit and oh wow that. I don't know what jobs will open up in the NFL next year, but you know, Freddy Kitchens is a disaster in Cleveland or somewhere with a good, young, promising quarterback, and that job opens up. I think there's a chance that this is the last year of Lincoln Riley and having those pods around.
Speaker 1: So that they spark joy for you.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't bring me any joy. It doesn't bring me any I don't. I think we got to get rid of it. I don't, even though it's pragmatic, You're right, I don't think we need to take them with us into our future.
Speaker 1: Donate it to Randy Edsel, that's right, Yeah, all right, last one here to Clay Hilton. Sure, let's go to our triple option magic bullet. Dan.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, do you own a magic bullet? I do own a magic bullet. It was a gift from my in laws and I use it.
Speaker 1: I got one for my wedding as well. Yeah, I feel like it's a popular wedding gift. Maybe we should send one to our boy tailor.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, if he's into smoothies, if he's into purifying sauces, pureing sauces.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. Yeah, the triple option magic bullet though, mm hmm, stakes on like a nice double meaning here too. It does, doesn't it. Yeah. I have never been a fan of the triple option magic bullet. Okay, I don't think the thing works the way it's supposed to. Mm hmm. And what I really don't like what really creeps me out about it. When you get your triple option magic bullet in the kitchen, you plug it in, you flip it on, all the lights flicker. It's like drawing too much power. Is that true? It is true? Oh, okay, I haven't noticed. It draws a little too much power from the main board. And I'm afraid the whole thing's gonna blow up. Wow, it's really not that spectacular to begin with.
Speaker 2: It does little jobs. It does little jobs.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm tossing this thing out. I don't think you get well longevity out of this. I would rather spend the money. Now, if you're cooking for one, I'm not cooking for one anymore. I know neither of you. You're cooking for three. I know this is true. Let's get rid of it. Spend the money on something that's going to give us a little bit more longevity and do a better job.
Speaker 2: I am a big believer in the magic, the triple option, magic bullet for even decent sized meals. I think it has utility. I think it speeds things up in terms of you can't make a whole meal with it, you can't chop everything for a meal with it. But the reason I'm donating this is not because I don't like it. It's because I don't believe that decision makers at big places believe in it. And so that is it's just exhausting to look at Arizona hiring Kevin Sumlin instead of Kenyamatalolo. It's exhausting to look at Kansas hiring Less Miles instead of Jeff Munkin or somebody like that, when so clearly the chopping would get done efficiently, and I think food would get made in a way that is way better and more organized than it would be otherwise. But the chefs don't care. The chefs just don't care, or the restaurant owners just don't care. And I'm just I'm fighting a losing battle here, So I'm donating the magic bullet, all right, I'm with you, Dan, Yeah, so look, listen, an expensive knife in stat.
Speaker 1: I guess we could probably do way more of this. You hear all this junk, that's just I don't know how loud it's coming through on the microphone, but we got a lot of junk up there. I gotta go through a lot of this, a lot of junk, and maybe we can do more of this, but at least for now the Kaun Murray method. Look at this place, it's already taking on a whole new shape.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad neither one of us is going to smell like a sweaty Brian Cushing anymore. No, No, I think we're done with that scent.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, please do right in.
Speaker 2: I feel so much more organized.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a weight off my shoulders.
Speaker 1: Spring cleaning very much a thing. You're an actual big believer right in the con Mari method. Yeah, you have you folded cloths. My life is file folded at this point. I've donated a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: But the problem that I have that you do not have is once you add a third, tiny little human to your household, especially one that's not super large in a big city. It's not my stuff that's taking up a lot of room. I do have some stuff, but all of a sudden, your place shrinks a lot.
Speaker 1: So are we talking about whether or not the solid baby sparks joy? The solid baby does spark joy. Okay, the making sure.
Speaker 2: All of the toys and rockers and bottles and onesies, that's that's heavy duty. That's platinum level kan Mari method.
Speaker 1: You will have your day, sir.
Speaker 2: I know the one thing I really did not realize. This is what I would recommend to expectant expecting parents. Get in a rhythm of crazy organization. Get in a crazy rhythm of any time a dish is out, you gotta wash it real quick and put in dishwasher to like almost become a pit crew. Before the little one arrives, we were okay, but we are. There are lug nuts everywhere. It's also my semi my second recommendation in terms of being over organized, live in a place with a washer and dryer, whether it's a house or an apartment. Do whatever you have to do to live in a place with a washer dryer, because we have one for the first time, and thank god we do. Oh all right, I need Mari condo over here pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: On that note, this has been fun. Robin Soliverble at gmail dot com let us know what else we should get. Give us more items to figure out. Yes, please also tweet us at soliverbal if you've got any Popgun Hall of Fame suggestions. I will be compiling a list before our next show.
Speaker 2: I want to know this so badly, that is for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh, don't forget again. Soliverble dot com is the website that's where you can sign up for our newsletter. Find us across all social channels. You can find this show pretty much anywhere podcasts are available. And finally, hop one out Reddit dot com slash our slash Soliverble. It's our subreddit. We didn't create it. We pop in from time to time, but it's a healthy group of fervent verbal ers, Daniel, I love it. On that note, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself Tie Hildebrand in a much cleaner, solid verbal headquarters. We will catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay solid, peace in