Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren z Ema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. It has been a busy couple of weeks and we're excited to sit down and chat with each other, but to chat with you as well. Elz. We just got done with the Mac Jack McConaughey, we had our own Experience Camps, and then my own experience saying goodbye to Joshua and Lacrosse. So it's been busy.
Speaker 2: I just realized that we've done several episodes of the podcast, but not like catch up What's Up moments? So yes. So many charity things lately, which has been really heartwarming and wonderful. The biggest one we held an event I called Cocktails for Camp for Experience Camps here at our house if you haven't heard us talk about it before. Experience Camps is the nonprofit that I volunteer for which puts on therapeutic and super fun summer camps for grieving kids for kids who have lost a parent, a primary caregiver, or a sibling. So I got involved because my dad died when I was in college and These camps are incredible. They do so much for the kids. They give them an escape from their grief, they give them counseling about their grief, and they give them other kids to relate to, kids who understand what they're going through. Grief is hard enough for adults, it's certainly tough for kids. And the reason we held this event, and what I'm so happy to announce on the podcast is that Experience Camps has committed to opening their first camp location here in Texas, which I wish we had an applause sound effect there.
Speaker 1: It's the crowd goes wild.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's such wonderful news. I mean, I've been It's such a privilege for me to be involved in this organization. If you want to be a counselor, you can apply online to volunteer. If you have kids or no kids who would need to go to these one of camp, one of these camps, you can send them. But the problem is you can apply, but the problem is there are waitless at every location currently, and when you consider the population of Texas, a camp is so deeply needed here right now. Any grieving kids in Texas who want to go to camp have to go out of state, and Texas is such a big state that grief resources are really spread out and scarce for lots of the kids here in Texas. So I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: One of the things I learned at the camp from the folks that came and spoke here at the house, for like the kids in Uvaldi after the school shooting, we're driving three and four hours to get help there is Texas is greatly underserved in that area. So you can follow out experience camps. It is such a phenomenal experience. It's such a phenomenal organization, and I'm excited to get this going in Texas. One of the things I love is they really want to launch this thing where it has the runway to keep going. And then, like you said, once you're invited, always invited back. So we have to open for the kids. Yeah, we have to open new doors for new kids so everybody can get involved.
Speaker 2: And so we got to raise money for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get busy.
Speaker 2: That was we had a fundraising and awareness raising event at our house. We had some wonderful musicians there. What I tried to do was create We do these campfires at camp three times a week in the week long session that the kids are there, and at these campfires, they take the traditional campfire idea but give it this really emotional framework. And so usually a counselor or camp employee will or even camp kid will like perform a song. A few kids from the camp will be asked to speak about their loss and their experience with loss. And then at the final campfire of the week, every single kid in camp gets the opportunity to get up if they want, say the name of the person they lost, say something about that person if they want to. So it's really really meaningful. And we did a little mini campfire at our event where we had some musicians perform, Madison Wolf and Chrissy Finniac. Thank you to both of them. They both performed songs about loss which were incredible. I wish I could share them here on the podcast, but we don't have the rights. But they're amazing, So give them a follow.
Speaker 1: And we're coming to New York soon. We're going to be hosting the national gala for this here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes, on May ninth, we are hosting the experience Kim Scallet in New York. So I say all this to say, if this is a cause that speaks to you, you can donate, you can get involved. We need to raise money for this camp location here in Texas, and that is going to be a massive commitment for me and for Chris over the next couple of years. How did you feel? I haven't asked you this about the event actually, because we did this kind of mini campfire and we had these musicians perform and I got up and spoken. We also had Andrea Palmer, a wonderful doctor from Fort Worth, and her daughter Laurel I come and speak. And Laurel I was a camper. They're from Fort Worth, Texas. But because there's no camp in Texas, Laurel I had to go to the camp in Atlanta, Georgia, and they spoke about their loss of Andrea's husband, laurrealized dad Blake Palmer. How did you feel listening like to me talk about my dad, to them talk. What was going through your mind? Or were you just worried about taking video because I had demanded I'd been like, they sure to film this, babeook.
Speaker 1: I was the social media warrior that I know it was. You know, when you hear everyone's experience with grief, and it's something that, like you said, we're all touched by it in very different ways. You know, some is the more I guess you would call the traditional way. Like my grandparents they lived a great, fruitful life and in their old age they died. And the natural order, I guess you would say, of things, these are rip the band aid off grief moments that are out of order. And when you hear how it affects, especially kids. And I've heard your perspective and learning more and more every day. But when you hear when you see this young woman and you realize what that death did to her and how it just tore her life apart, and how she's pieced it back together with the help of all these camps and these experiences, it is heart wrenching moving, but it's oddly motivational. Just it gives you hope because these people are so strong. Yeah, you hear this young girl who has the strength that you would hope you would have in a serious situation as an adult, with all the experiences I have in my life of five decades of being on this earth, and this young girl has it now, unfortunately, and she had to get it because it's you know, it's roll over and let your life pass you by or survive. And she's thriving and it's in large part due to these camps and so and you hear more and more of these stories. It is. I think it's okay to call it motivational, like there's beauty in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, babe, I love that. I mean, that's something I always say. I think it makes people a little uncomfortable when you say there are good things out of grief, But like, I think grief made me a much stronger person at a young age. It gave me perspective on what mattered in life at a really young age, and that's really valuable. I'm grateful for that. But you certainly have to like give people the tools to succeed through that hardship, like you just said, and that's something or you hopeful you can give them these tools experience camps give gives these kids these tools. Lorelei and herst speech said, which I've heard lots of kids say. She's like, well, seeing that the counselors were okay, that they'd been through loss, that they were okay, helped me know I would be okay. Because kids are sitting here going my whole world just blew up? What is my future going to be? And it's also it's really hitting me what you just said about like the normal way of losing people are the right way. That always strikes me because that's like the only thing we learn about, right And maybe it's not scare kids, but when you're young and no one talks about like what if someone you love dies really suddenly, like or you don't get educated on how to handle it. We think, oh, you grow old and you die. And as I've gotten older, I feel like, actually what I learn is i'd be interested in the statistics. But more often than not, most people don't have the beautiful death that your grandparents have, right, most people don't live into their I mean, your grandmother was ninety nine and your grandfather.
Speaker 1: Was what in his late eighties.
Speaker 2: Most people, and I'm so glad that they lived that life because they were so influential in your family. But most people don't have this like beautiful live to ninety nine, die in your sleep moment that your grandmother had, and she went through a lot of other hardships. But we don't prepare people for sudden death, for illness, for car accidents for all that, and yet it's very normal. And so that's why not only just being involved in Experience Camps matter to me, but talking about grief and helping people know that it's normal and their feelings are normal even though they're hard, and that, like you just said, you got to use those feelings and push through.
Speaker 1: Hot on the heels of the Experienced Camps events, which was awesome here at the house. There's this annual event here in Austin, the Mac Jack and McConaughey, and this is a huge, huge event here in Austin.
Speaker 2: They were in their twelfth year, twelve years. I was learning from them. I was like watching and getting inspired because we had just done this very first ex Camps event here in Austin, and they're in year twelve and they're now on a it's like a three day charity bend.
Speaker 1: This is a bender.
Speaker 2: I mean there are two golf tournaments, a fashion show, two concerts, and multiple and this is so much.
Speaker 1: By the way, Mack and Jack you probably know who McConaughey is. Mac Brown, who is a former kind of legendary coach here at the University of Texas, won the national title back in the day with them. Now he's the head coach at North Carolina. And then of course Jack Ingram, who's a country music star, had a number one hit back in what five and has had a bunch of top forty hits, eleven albums he's released in Just a Sweetheart of a Guy. So Mac Brown, Jack and then Matthew McConaughey, who you may have heard of, and they aged three, have a separate entity and benefit charity group that have to do with kids, and they raise millions and millions of dollars. But as Lauren said, this is a three day event has grown and grown and grown. The first night there's a golf tournament and then Luke Colmbs played a couple of years ago, Kenny Chesney last year, with Garth Brooks this year Luke Colmbs.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed because Matthew and his wife Camilla, who is such a wonderful, lovely woman, they are on the ground doing all of it. You know that. I think we're similar to them, and we're like when you're involved in some pits, show up and do it. They host things, they show up at things, They really put their time and energy to it, and I think they raised a record amount this year, like, yeah, upwards of ten well over, I.
Speaker 1: Want to sell a million millions like that. And by the way, all three of them, Mac Brown, Jack Ingram and McConaughey, they divide and conquer, so they are at every event. So while you know, McConaughey and his wife were at the fashion event, the other two guys are at the golf event. They are glad handing non stop. I like that They're not just to face in the name of this. They actually get involved, which is cool. Can we talk about the auction just for a second, because you and I have been to hundreds of auctions, charity auction, charity auctions. I've been to some crazy ones where you're like, oh wow, that was that was nuts. I've never been to an auction where an item went for four point six million dollars. That happened at this auction.
Speaker 2: You know, you and I were out of the running at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I gave up at three point nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've been successful, we worked hard, but four point six MILLI for one thing, I thought, yeah, I'm not in this.
Speaker 1: This is one of those auctions. As soon as they did the opening bid.
Speaker 2: We were out, yes, and again, I am grateful for our lives and we are very we're blessed, but we're not dropping a couple of million on one item. There were only a few people in the room who could do that. But it made me realize. I read a statistic the other day that Austin has now cracked the top ten cities in the country with in terms of number of millionaires. We just made it for the first time at number ten, and I thought, Okay, a couple of those people in the.
Speaker 1: Room tonight, apparently they were throwing it around. You know what's funny is because I've never seen it, And I thought, okay, is this interesting to me? And that I look around and at this point there were thousands of people in the house getting ready for the Luke Combs concert, and everybody had their phones out, like everybody was like, this is not happening. This is crazy, crazy money. But the good news is it all went to a great cause, great causes, and it was a hell of an event. And Luke Holmbs, by the way, first time I had seen him live, crushed it. My god, he has a golden voice.
Speaker 2: Can I back up to the auction from it? And ask you a couple, you've actually been to way more of these than me. I just kind of started going to them when you and I started. Yes, and we've hosted them together, and we definitely know. You know, when you're hosting them, it's you're walking that line between like you don't want to lecture people and be like take out your walls. This is the right thing to do. You have to make it a show for them. You have to make it entertaining and fun. And I mean I have hoared Chris Harrison out before. I we were hosting an event for the men for the aim At Youth Mental Health Organization in California, and I was like, Okay, everybody, we're just going to raise some money at the end here five hundred bucks and Chris Harrison'll come kiss you on the cheek or something. Or maybe it was a thousand, I don't know, but we got a lot. And I was definitely horing you out for it. Was Taye, it's for the youth, it's for the kids. But when you're at events like that, don't you also think it's an interesting read on people, Like it's for a great cause and it's wonderful. Yeah, And like we said, I'm not in that. I'm not playing at that level of four point six million dollars for an auction item. But it's interesting when you see, Like I think one thing I've learned is, you know, there's some people who give when they're seen giving, and then there's some people who like just really do the right thing behind the scenes. The best type of person is the one who will do both. What do you feel like you've learned about the human.
Speaker 1: Site of the human element?
Speaker 2: Yeah, after doing so many of these events over the years.
Speaker 1: I think it's peer pressure, is what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm saying there are people who I know who, we know who, and I don't love when people talk about how much money they have. But there's some people who talk about how much money they have, and then you see them at events like this and you're like, well, your paddle wasn't really going in the air, Like what's going on? And you can't help but wonder and maybe they give in private, but I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a peer There is definitely a peer pressure element, like you know, the raise the path when when you're in that room and there's that fervor and you get excited at the auction. I think there is the element of people love to be seen being benevolent, getting recognition for that very You know, there are those that will just like I think someone just did this actually at iz Zou they donated anonymously a truckload of money, just anonymously to one of the programs there. I think it was sports, but still it was just interesting. It was completely anonymous. But yeah, I think there is there are two types of people that in.
Speaker 2: Giving well, and there are two you can look at it two different ways. Like one, obviously it's good the money is going towards the organization and it sets an example. I mean, that's why I think it's important to volunteer publicly, to donate publicly, to and take it however you want. Some people, you know, there might be the element of I don't know, I think we can all judge it. Sometimes you're like, oh, that person really likes to be seen doing what they're doing, but you also want to set that example. But it's just interesting. It's an interesting read on these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, human behavior is interesting, the crowd mentality, and I think.
Speaker 2: In another life I would have liked to be a therapist.
Speaker 1: I think you are in this life are Before we move on from that, I just got to give a shout out to Mac Brown, the head coach, and his wife. I met them years ago through this Textural cult Texas Cultural Trust, uh this big Arts award. This is years ago. They held a luncheon that Laura Bush spoke at and I met them and they were just lovely and they were fans of the show and I hadn't seen him in years, and he came up to me and he's just been such a big supporter of of me and and now of you, and they just a dear person and we had several great conversations where he just put his hand on my shoulder and he was just I think, once a head coach, always a head coach. And he just gave me this this long talk of love and support and everything that you and I have been through and how much he supported us, and I just what a dear man.
Speaker 2: And his wife, Sally, was so lovely to us as well. They are sweet people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just just want to send a love out to North Carolina for for those of you know, those tar Heel fans, because he's the head coach at UNC. You know what you got. You got a legend over there. They don't get any better than Mac Brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just does it right. He's just a good person, you can tell. So what did he any takeaways from his coaching session with you.
Speaker 1: Well, what's funny is you know when when everybody was getting unruly at the auction and he wanted to get attention. He's used to when he walks in a room, he's the head fricking coach. You shut up, and when he speaks, you listen. That's your job. And it's funny when you're in a totally different arena he was speaking, or people were getting a little roud and rowdy, and he would stop and like admonish everybody, And I'm like, once a coach, always a coach. It was funny for him to be like, hey.
Speaker 2: You've said that about coaches before, and I see it. I think coaches are like always coaches in and out of their daily lives.
Speaker 1: Great job, guys, it was a heck of a year. Now I need to recover for the next twelve months. We can do it again. I think that was our version of version of stage coach. That's the Austin which is going on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so stage the stage coach used to be a real bachelor. Remember there were a couple of seasons there where there was like a real bachelor drama happening at stage coach. Yeah, I'm sure it still it was a real connecting moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: A music festival person.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I went once and it is I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to look dusty.
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare. It literally it's a nightmare. It's dusty, it's windy, it's hot. It is just so many people and it's just getting in and out. It's a nightmare. I'm like, I don't know why we do this. It was pretty miserable.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where I you know, I mean, but I'm not a music festival person, but I do think you know, I'm not saying anything groundbreaking here, but it's the social media danger sometimes of things looking great on social media and did you actually enjoy it in real life. Let's finish up what we've been up to with what was. It'll be the perfect final moment to discuss because it was a final moment for you and for Josh, your wonderful son. He played his very last lacrosse game. Ever, the TCU men's lacrosse team, go Frogs, made it to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Made to the Semis, lost lost to the University of Texas, who's awesome. By the way, Congrats to the Horns who went on to win the conference. They're going to the national championship tournament. They're they're really good, so congrats to them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I didn't go because I had to finish up going to some mac Jack McConaughey things and represent us. And you went and had those final moments with Josh. But we were kind of texting and talking during the whole thing about how this was pretty emotional for you.
Speaker 1: It was, you know, we've talked a little bit about that last time whatever. That last moment is walking off a field, crossing the stage at graduation, the last play. So Josh played in his last game, and I got emotional because it kind of took me back to my last game, you know, many many many years ago, playing college soccer and just knowing what he was about to go through. And it's interesting, and I watched him. He played a hell of a game, played his heart out, they all did, and then you know, he walked off the field, and you could tell right away just kind of hit him and the other players that the juniors sophomor's freshman coming up and giving him a big hug. He's been a leader, he's a captain of the team, and it's the passing of the torch and it's the turning of a page for him, and it hit him. He got emotional tears in his eyes, and I was so proud of him just watching the reaction of the other guys, which says all I need to know about him as a man, as a leader. Leaving that impact on the program, it's things we all hope to do. You leave it better than you found it, and he definitely did. But kind of a bittersweet father son moment.
Speaker 2: Why was it bittersweet? Just because it's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's over. I've really enjoyed watching him play. I gat me it is something a journey he started when he was nine years old. His coach Blair shout out to coach, player out to me. He was the first coach josh had when he was starting lacrosse. And Joshua was not great. Hed just gone through a gross spurt. He had the feet of a labrador retriever and you know, he's fallen all over himself and he's using a big stick and you know, because he's not tall enough yet, and this coach really took him under his wing, and you know, and he reached out to me, and this meant a lot. You also realize this means a lot because it's the turning of a page in the passage of time for a lot of people. Our former assistant and his former coach and you know, grandparents and all of us kind of you feel these passages of time as well as he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's definitely these milestone moments, right, and we have them and different cultures different, but in America it's like, you know, you're turning eighteen, you're going to college, you're finishing college, you're getting your first job, you're getting your first apartment. And Josh is in the second half of those now, and so there's a lot of reflecting. And what made me so happy, yeah, was seeing and Chris put together, well, I'll be honest, I edited for Chris. I put together a real on Instagram of these little clips of Josh hugging his teammates and crying a little bit like tearing up a little bit. And that made me so happy because for many reasons. One it I was literally seeing and I knew it, but I was seeing it the friendships he's made, the connections he's made. And I texted in this like, Josh, honey, you did everything right. This is what you're supposed to get out of something like a team at school. You're supposed to get you know, the relationships, and these will be your friends for life. In college you really make friends for life. And Two, I just loved seeing, honestly, these twenty something boys being emotional together. It was really nice to see. And I really love that we have a son who is comfortable in his emotions in that way, like hugging his friends and tearing up and giving us speech and recognizing the moments. It made me feel so at peace, like seeing that side of him because John obviously our daughter Taylor is a little more emotional than Josh. But to see that side of him made me think, oh, you know, he's really growing up and he's really in touch with his emotions and he's not shying away from them. That made me feel happy.
Speaker 1: I was talking to somebody today who also was an athlete, in college, and I said, you know this, and I don't know you'll understand this, so I'm interested to hear your take. This will mean more than graduation. This moment will be more indelible and leave a bigger mark than walking across the stage in two weeks at graduation. This is the end of school for him. He will graduate to walk across the stage and have that moment, and we'll all be there and will and trust me, I will cry again as I cried the other day. But this two guys, and maybe to women who are athletes as well, this will be the indelible mark that he'll look back on. I thought I felt the same thing. My grandparents were at my graduation at that meant a lot to me. But I remember walking off the field my senior year. I remember where I was, and I remember when it hit me. I remember all that as opposed to I kind of remember graduation.
Speaker 2: I just was curious, Yeah, I see that, And it's about the people you're surrounded by, right, I mean at graduation. I don't know was it alphabetical. I don't remember who I was sitting with a graduation.
Speaker 1: And boy, your last I've thought about this. Zema oh man, I.
Speaker 2: Get the biggest applause. It's over.
Speaker 1: There was there was there ever, like a z y last name, like.
Speaker 2: Hard to beat, but you're I remember one thing I remember about sitting graduation is I was so involved with my journalism school. I was the president of organizations, and I spoke at the opening of a new building, and I was I knew professors like. I was very involved. I liked to be busy. I still do. There were kids who got up at graduation from the journalism school in my class who I'd never seen before, and I'd never heard their names before. And you know, so you don't you know when you're leaving your lacrosse final lacrosse game, especially as a senior, you know everybody on that team. You're not a freshman who doesn't really know anyone yet, and you know everyone, and you're surrounded by your friends and you've spent years building these relationships and it's something you loved doing. Like I think graduations just bigger, less intimate, less emotional, and what exactly is it representing. Probably the best moments of graduation are looking up and seeing your family there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're well, I guess at the end of the day what you're saying, and it's true. It's about the relationships. It's always about the relationships. And if you've ever been a part of a team, you know, like I mean, I still text with my college soccer team, like we still talk to each other, we still keep in touch and give each other a hard time because nothing has changed. And he'll do that forever with his guys, and so it is. I guess it's always about those relationships. And that's what you're saying goodbye to because you're not going to see those guys next year. They're going to carry on. And that's the other thing. It's that that old life in the song the world spins madly on, you know, the freshmen and sophomore and juniors are picking up their stuff and heading out to have a beer because like, oh, next year, I'll see it, camp, I'll see it. You know, we'll be back at it. You know, better luck next time. And you realize this, this was my next time.
Speaker 2: That was it, And you don't get it until you're in their shoes. Like I remember being a freshman at my sorority chapter and hearing this an older girl.
Speaker 1: Would speak it ah to totally totally.
Speaker 2: Which was like a great tradition because they would try to impart wisdom on us. The question was were we listening, and she advised all of us. She said, I'm telling you, I don't think this is going to sink in. But college isn't about dating boys. It's about making your female friends. And she said that, and I guess on some level it sung in because I remembered it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have the best female friends in the world from Maszoo.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do. But then senior year I finally understood it. I'm like, oh, she was right. It was about the friendships. It wasn't about you know, you get obsessed and crush over boys, but it was about the friendships.
Speaker 1: Well, half the crap our parents say, half the crap I've said as a parent, that should that should hit the mar and it should make a difference. You know, it won't until later, Like you know, there's things that you'll just know that when they have kids, you'll get it, et cetera. And you I don't know if that's like a safety mechanism that God gives us of. We're just not aware at certain moments in our life. Because if you walked around like a raw nerve, always aware of these things. You probably would be incapacitated and it would maybe take away from those moments. But I think, you know, all of a sudden, it hit him as he was well, you know, shaking hands the last time and all that, and you saw him walking off the field, and it took me right back. And I mean, I'm fifty two years old and I remember it. And now it's weird for me to be watching it as a father, to be watching my son have the same walk I did and the same feelings I did, and it's I'm so far removed from it yet now I'm watching him do it, and it's a lot of pride, a lot of nostalgia, and I'm just you know, I'm so damn proud of him. Same thing with Taylor. Now she's going to get annoyed because I am going to glom onto her for the next two years, and so cup to four years, two four years.
Speaker 2: It makes me so happy too that they had these years of college together. It's so special and kind of rare that a brother and sister go to college together. I love seeing them hang out together. You certainly feel like you. I mean, I look at them, the way they hang out and and the way Josh is with his friends, and I just think, you know, you just did such a good job with parenting, babe. I mean, I'm so grateful to have these kids in my life, and you two just have done I mean, you made great kids, and the way they treat other people is what shows you that. By the way, what I was trying to get you to know earlier was that the last play the term would be like closing night or like the finale. Yeah, okay, one thing I want to ask you, though, We'll get two things. One was I feel like time was hitting you a little bit when you saw when you're comparing like Josh's last game to remembering your last for sure, were what was going through your head? Just and I don't mean time like of Josh being older.
Speaker 1: I know that, but like, no, I talked to my dad last night about this, just like you know, He's like, life goes by so remarkably fast, and he's like, I remember, you know, this is my dad talking, and he said his dad, my grandfather said to him, you know, it goes by in the blink of an eye. And you hear that as a kid, but you know, the days go by slow, the years go by fast, the old saying, but as you get older, it really does continue to speed up. And I told my dad, I said, you know, I think it's also only when you're blessed and life is great, and because when when we are in grief or we are in whatever, those days go by slow. Those moments go by slow. When things are going so swimmingly well and your your kids are thriving, and your wife is thriving, and things are beautiful and you're we're in a good, you know, season of life. You know it'll ebb and flow and there will be the ups and down. But it definitely caught me off guard of yeah, I'm you know, I am at this point in my life and I'm now watching my son wrap things up and head off into the real world. So yeah, I know, it definitely makes you realize life goes by fast.
Speaker 2: I'm a big believer too in like continuing to do I don't know, I think sometimes there can it's important to take those moments in. But then also like I don't like the uh oh it's over and done by that. I mean, like Josh is already talking about Okay, you might plan all across team. Yeah, you know, like he's looking at one here in Austin. I think for when he's in his early twenties. And I loved theater in school, but I went on to take improv classes and do improv teams in my twenties. And I know you did some soccer teams. Does it feel really different or does it scratch that itch?
Speaker 1: And again I think, I think, what again? The Good Lord gives us the ability, especially at that age, what's next? And you know, I never thought high school was the greatest moment in life. I never looked at college is the greatest moment in life. I always thought what was next? And so I think at that age, Josh is already excited about his job. He's already excited about getting his first apartment. That was me. I was like, as soon as I was done, Yeah, I was sad about walking off the field, missing my boys, but I was going to be a sportscaster. I was about to get my first job, and I was so fired up to launch my career that that was my goal. I've always been like that in life about what's next. Looking and I don't mean in an ungrateful way. I don't mean I don't appreciate the moment. I really do. I think I'm very good about that. But I always whether you're setting goals, setting the bar higher, pushing yourself, I've always thought what's next in life, and so in that moment in college, I was like, great, I'm going on to be a sportscaster. At the time, I didn't know it would be in Oklahoma City. I thought I was gonna have to go to a much smaller circuit and market to start. I got very lucky to start in Oklahoma City with a great mentor, Bill Jiggans. But I think that's where Josh is like, he'll be sad that afternoon, he moves on, He's onto the next And yeah, I played a little semi pro soccer. I did you know sportscasting. I was so fired up about everything going on in life. It's really later when those the sadness kind of turns to memories, and those memories and I kind of think grief might be like this, and you could probably fill me in. It's like that gutting and it's different on different level of grief, but like that open wound slowly turns to great memories there's still sadness. You still can lament the fact that it's gone. But like now I have memories and it's like, I don't know if it was like that. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't. Does Josh finishing lacrosse feel like an open wound at first?
Speaker 1: It does? Really, Yeah, I mean it's just it's raw. It's a raw nerve. You're sad and you feel.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was. I've never Here's the thing. I've realized this as you're talking. I have never like been that sad when things were ending. Yeah, Like I'm like, I don't remember my last improv comedy show with my comedy group that I loved in college. I don't remember it. I don't. I think I was always like even more and on to the next person, which I'm not just saying is a good thing. I just was very well.
Speaker 1: I think it is a good thing and in people, No, I think it's a great attribute.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't really, I mean, I don't know. I didn't really get sad about I called myself an emotional shudder. I'm like, don't be sad, it's over. Be glad it happened. Let's keep going, I think.
Speaker 1: And I respect this about you and I know this about you, which is another reason I'm saying, and I think high functioning successful people are always looking at what's next, even when things are great, but also when things are bad. Like you don't get too high with the highs, you don't get too low with the lows. You're just like, Okay, I can do better, I can push myself. I can continue to raise the bar in my life no matter what it is. That's I think it's a it's an admirable quality to have, and I think I see it in successful people.
Speaker 2: I think it's I've had open wounds when things ended traumatic or badly, but kind of like we were talking about with grief. To me, I didn't have that reaction with something like lacrosse ending. It's like, well, we knew this was coming, and this is the natural order of things, and this is okay. It's certainly awesome to reflect on it. Like and like I said, I'm so glad I saw Josh taking the moment in Yeah, and Babe, if you want to still play soccer, you can go join it somewhere.
Speaker 1: I've escaped with my knees intact. But you know what Josh doesn't know and what you didn't know. What I didn't know when we were leaving those organizations is the lessons you've learned that are going to pay dividends so much and the rest of your life. So proud of him, TC, Lacrosse family, Thank you guys. It was a great run for four years. TC Who's been a great run and a great home for him for four years. Graduations coming up next, babe. It was good to catch up. I'm glad. We just look this is a little different podcast today. We just wanted to catch up and we love talking to you guys, and we will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.