Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's our one on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. Our starting lineup. Fritzy the Minister of Humor. Dylan is in for Seaton. He's normally our graphics guy and full time gambler Marvin Paulie. They even out the front row, the backroom guys, and yours truly.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Seaton a little bit.
Speaker 2: Later his road to New Orleans and your phone calls always welcome. Eight seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by to take those phone calls. Say good morning to iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio and our streaming partner Peacock.
Speaker 3: Thanks for downloading the app.
Speaker 2: Play the Day, poll questions, stat of the Day, All of that forthcoming stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America.
Speaker 3: The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: First Hour brought to you by tyre rack dot com, the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyrack dot com slash Dan. You'll see the hired Decision Guy, full lineup of Yokohama Tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation tyreq dot com. The way tire buying should be ten days until the Super Bowl. It's seven years ago today, the Kansas City Chiefs decided to trade Alex Smith to Washington. So we're at the Super Bowl. We had gotten word that Alex Smith was probably going to be traded. He was with us on the show and we couldn't get anything out of him, but he knew that he didn't he didn't really know where he was going. He knew that he was going to be traded from Kansas City. And then we get done with our show in Minneapolis. Two hours later, Alex Smith is traded to Washington for a defensive back and a third round pick. He had gone nine to six as a starter in Kansas City in twenty seventeen. In the previous four seasons, he had won a lets games three times, and his stats when he was traded from Kansas City twenty seventeen, he threw for four thousand yards. He had twenty six touchdowns, five interceptions. Those are good numbers, but they knew what they had with Patrick Mahomes. They traded up to get Mahomes, and Alex Smith was dead.
Speaker 3: Man walking.
Speaker 2: This happened with San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick. Jim Harbaugh made that move, but Andy Reid made a move. The Kansas City Chiefs made a move that changed NFL history and paved the way for AFC Title Games, Super Bowls, and maybe what will turn out to be the greatest quarterback in history. That was seven years ago today, and I remember talking to Paulie, I go, how do I get that information out of him? Because he's smart enough to know that I'm going to ask him about it. Does he really know what's he You don't want to ruin the deal. And he was going to get a lot out of money. I think he got a four year extension around ninety million, seventy one million, guaranteed he was going to do well. Now we know that he got injured with Washington, but he had a good career. He had good numbers with San Francisco, good numbers with Kansas City, and then his career cut short with the injury in Washington. But seven years ago, taking a chance and taking a chance eight years ago, when you think about what they did in the draft and the fact that the New Orleans Saints and Sean Payton said this, they were taking Patrick Mahomes. How would NFL history look if the Saints had taken him? What would that have meant for Drew Brees and Bree's getting older? Sean Payton sees what he sees in Patrick Mahomes. I got my heir apparent right here. Well, Alex Smith wasn't old, but he saw Andy Reid saw something that maybe others didn't Sean Payton did. Now, there are a lot of coaches. It's like with Russell Wilson, Yeah, we were going to take him. Well, you could have the first round or the second round, even in the third round, you could have taken him. Everybody after the fact, but Sean Payton said, hey, we wanted him. Kansas City was going to go get him. And it was during that week an NFL scout source of mind said you should get Patrick Mahomes on he's moving up the draft board. And I said to Fritzie, hey, see if we can get Mahomes. Now we couldn't, but you know, I was given a heads up that he was moving up. Didn't know where, but he was moving up. And then he lands in Kansas City and you're like, why would they go get him. Alex Smith's a good quarterback. And then we realized soon after that when he threw for fifty touchdowns, who was the quarterback prior to Patrick Mahomes. Yeah, that was Alex Smith. And even the draft profile, well, he was going to be, you know, the the second coming of Brett farm He's a gunslinger those games.
Speaker 3: Nobody played defense in the.
Speaker 2: Big Twelve, which is true, but I don't think people saw the intelligence of Patrick Mahomes. I think they just saw that he kind of ran around. You know, Texas Tech unless you really love football, you're not going to find Texas Tech games unless they're playing against somebody. The first time I saw him, it was Oklahoma State, and you know they always shootouts. It's like forty two forty, and I kept thinking, well, it's another Texas Tech quarterback. They always have big numbers, you know, Mike Leach always has that offense. They're going to get you know, thirty five forty points. They'll lead the nation in passing, but then they don't do anything in the NFL. Mahomes was different. Yeah, pull the draft profile.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this from NFL dot Com. Inconsistent, gunslinger, reckless, not an athlete more of a scrambler. They critique his throwing motion. It was the word project is used on a couple of different websites. But the Chiefs they didn't start in week four. They didn't have to start in week for I don't know how much that helped his rookie year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have Alex Smith, and I think Mahomes has talked about you know, Brady's talked about this.
Speaker 3: He wasn't ready to start.
Speaker 2: He needed to sit and watch and kind of understand how the game moves at what pace. And Mahomes has talked about that that he got to learn under Alex Smith.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't think Alex Smith knew that.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm going to give you all the secrets and then all of a sudden, wait a minute, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Do you have Alex Smith at the super Bowl?
Speaker 2: So this is seven years ago this morning that we had Alex Smith on and I'm trying to get him to tell me where he's going to be traded.
Speaker 3: Where are you going to be playing next year? Question?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you're not going to get much right now. Sorry to disappoint, I got I got absolutely nothing for you that's gonna do you know in your head you just can't tell me.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: I mean I wish I knew. I wish I listened. I got a year under contract there in Kansas City. I mean, that's uh in control of this thing, right, I mean I wish I was the one that got to be able to to do this.
Speaker 3: That's just not the reality. But if you were in control, what would you do?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, listen, like I said, I mean, you're you're not gonna like this answer at all?
Speaker 6: I mean not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love, I love where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I felt like we underachieved.
Speaker 5: I felt that we as offensively last year, did some you know, awesome things.
Speaker 7: You know, so, but but who knows.
Speaker 3: I've been playing long enough.
Speaker 5: I've been through this before the trade deal, so I'm not uh not naive to it. You know, this is a crazy business. A low crazy stuff can happen.
Speaker 2: And then he was traded to Washington for Kendall Fuller in a third round draft pick. But he got ninety four million dollar deal, seventy one million dollars guaranteed if you go through the vowels, AEI, oh you that's what it sounded like. Alex Smith so PAULI asked me the question, I'll be Alex Smith.
Speaker 7: What would you do if you were in control?
Speaker 2: I'll oh you sometimes? Why? Yeah, he he knew something. He had to know something, because those deals don't get done that quickly. It's like when free agency starts, it's like twelve oh one. They got a deal done in a minute. No tampering here. But Alex you know, he had to move on and uh, he'll be the trivial pursuit question or answer of who was the quarterback prior to Patrick Mahomes. ALRIGHTY eight seven to seven to three DP show Dylan, what's the poll question today?
Speaker 3: From the first hour?
Speaker 8: All right, Dan, we're gonna go with without knowing what would happen in the future, would you've traded Alex Smith after the twenty seventeen season, which was statistically his best season, touchdowns, yards, TD and.
Speaker 7: I in t ratio.
Speaker 2: Now, not everybody agreed that you got to move on from Alex Smith because we weren't quite sure what they had with Patrick Mahomes. So to be fair to oh, yeah, everybody knew, they didn't not everybody knew leading up to the draft. If everybody knew what Patrick Mahomes was going to be Kansas City wouldn't have been the only team trading up to get him. He would have been taken well before Mitch Trubisky Tuson. Yeah, what woud his career been like if he played for the Bears. There's certain organizations where you go. If that guy had gone to that organization, would he have been a great like Tom Brady?
Speaker 3: If he went to Cleveland? Would he have been Tom Brady?
Speaker 2: No, if Mahomes doesn't go to Kansas City, he's not one of the great quarterbacks of all time.
Speaker 3: But in the system. By the way, I know that there's a a I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, a documentary or there's a three part series about you know it's Brady versus Belichick. Chris mad Dog Russo was talking about this that he's hosting this. Are we going to do that to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes? Why do we do it for Brady and Belichick? Now I know there's no conflict. It'd be like if Mahomes left and let's say he went to the Jets and won a Super Bowl, would we then have this argument of I don't know who's better Patrick, who was more responsible Mahomes or Andy Reid. But we do that with Brady and Belichick, although they've done a pretty good job of complimenting each other. I'll go back to the Super Bowl when the Patriots lost to the Eagles, and I interviewed Brady prior to that, was during super Bowl week, and I said, do you think you ever said it down with Bill and reminisce? And he looked at me like, you gotta be that's the dumbest question.
Speaker 3: He goes, no.
Speaker 2: But now they're sitting down and reminiscing and you know, verbal bouquets and everything is good. In fact, Bill Belichick was on the Jim Gray podcast, the Let's Go Podcast and talking about Tom Brady and the Super Bowl Trophy.
Speaker 9: Players win games. You can't win games without good players. I don't care who the coach is, it's impossible. You can't win without good players. I mean, it's you know, it's Brady, it's McGinnis, it's ra Bol, it's Bruski, it's Corey Dillon, it's Randy Moss, Troy Brown, Lawyer Malloy, Ty law, Rodney Harrison. Those are guys that won the games.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: I didn't make any tackles.
Speaker 9: I didn't make any kicks. That was Vintary that made that kick in four inches of snow. You gotta have good players. They don't name it the Star Trophy. It's named little Bardi Trophy.
Speaker 3: Name it the Brady Trophy. Seven of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a throwaway line by Bill Good follow up by Jim Gray. They don't call it the bart Star Trophy. They call it the Lombardi Trophy. We'll revisit this coming up a little bit because I got a few more thoughts about this and naming the Super Bowl Trophy after Tom Brady. I have some other options there. So what other poll questions are we thinking about? First hour? Dylan Well going off that.
Speaker 8: Then we can go with should the Lombardi Trophy be renamed the Brady Trophy?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or now let me save that. Okay, I'm gonna save that. Seaton is on the road. We'll hear from him later on this morning, and thanks to Maco, go to Danpatrick dot com follow the road to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life with affordable paint choms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Oh better get Maco, all right, So we will discuss that a little bit. Also, when we had the NBA commissioner Adam Silver on yesterday and I said, hey, give me some wild suggestions and we'll bring back just the comment that he talked about of making these games forty minute, not forty eight minute games, ten minute quarters. And I don't think he realized it was going to explode, and I did try to warn him that it was going to take off, and maybe he did know, maybe he did want to gauge the reaction to something like this, and I was surprised at some of the reaction. We'll talk about that. And there were certain news organizations that kept it in context, which I appreciate, and there are other ones that have misleading headlines in there, because this was just wild things that you're thinking about, maybe two free throws if you get fouled on a three point shot. And then he dropped the bomb where he said, why don't we make it universal? This is what they do in the Olympics, this is what they do in Europe. May you will have forty minute games, ten minute quarters and not forty eight We'll discuss that phone calls eight seven to seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it dp show just getting started. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 10: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 11: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 7: The most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We started the show with a anniversary of sours. Seven years ago today, Alex Smith traded from Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes took over and subsequently took over the NFL, throwing fifty touchdowns and going to the AFC title game every year. He's been a starter now going to the super Bowl where they're one and a half point favorites. Pauli said, there's some player comps that are fun. I brought up Brett Farv was what I was told by a scout. You know, he's a little reckless. He likes the thrill, likes the danger, sort of like trying to fit things into tight windows. But his football IQ is what stood out to this scout. And Andy Reid probably had to have seen that. Somebody saw it because they're like, hey, we're going to go up and get him and I don't think anybody was thinking about Patrick Mahomes. I think Deshaun Watson, Like there are other quarterbacks where you're going, oh, somebody going to go up and get him, and look, Deshaun Watson. I know there's a lot of things not to like about him now, but in college he did everything you wanted him to do. He won big games, won a national title. Now he looked, you know, maybe a little frail, but still he was a really good quarterback. And then Mahomes was just a curiosity. I mean, I have to admit I had no idea that he would be even a starter in the NFL. But I didn't study him. And it's not my job as an analyst or breaking down tape, but just the eye test where you're watching, you go, damn, he's fun. But there have been a lot of quarterbacks that are fun. Johnny Manziel was fun. But can you do that on a regular basis? But I always like, you know, the player comps are great because you can move on from that draft, but your opinions about that draft stay with us, Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 4: So for the past decade, Land zer Line, who's been on this show, does player comps and analysis before the draft of almost every player. So this year he will do Jalen Milroe pros and cons and then do a player comp. So back in twenty seventeen, what was his player comp for Patrick Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech, Dan, you're gonna go last Fritzi, You're gonna go first.
Speaker 12: Player comp for Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, but we're taking Brett fahv off the table.
Speaker 4: Maybe, oh okay, he could be one of those players. It was not Brett far Oh okay, that's the hint.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, you got a player comp for Mahomes seven years ago.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go, We'll come back to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, come back to me. Dylan mm hmmm, Ken Stabler, respect.
Speaker 2: The old school Polger, Marvin, Jeff George.
Speaker 3: Wow, not a compliment. Wow, I'm gonna go Brett Favrey.
Speaker 4: It was Jay Cutler, big arm, creative, reckless with some of the words used.
Speaker 3: Todd, do you have a I was gonna say.
Speaker 12: Steve Young as far as someone that mobile, and you're gonna kind of put it in a spot.
Speaker 13: Okay, yes, I just said Jeff George, Jeff George, j Cutler tomato, tomato.
Speaker 3: No, No, who threw a prettier ball than Jeff George Warren Moon.
Speaker 2: That's about it. So he's on a short list of pretty Yeah. I don't want to say that, but you can, yeah pretty balls. About time someone said, yeah, yeah, Jeff George had pretty break down.
Speaker 3: Who had the prettiest balls in every history?
Speaker 2: Dan Warren Moon, prettiest balls I've ever seen. You can have a pretty ball that you throw, but they have to catch it too.
Speaker 3: That was his fault.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he threw it and looked beautiful. It just didn't always end up where it was supposed to. Jay Cutler was a really good athlete, really good athlete. Jeff George I never thought he was a really good athlete.
Speaker 3: You know, Warren Moon was a really good athlete.
Speaker 2: But yeah, these player comps are always they're they're interesting, Yes, Todd, if Mahomes had.
Speaker 12: A heater and look disinterested, it'll be a perfect competicate Cotler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if he was married to a reality star like Christian Cavaleri. All right, Uh so there's the uh, the comps for Patrick Mahomes. So that was eight years ago when he was going into the draft, and then seven years ago on this date, I still love listening to Alex Smith. Alex Smith is just there to promote a head and shoulders or old spice, and then I'm going to where do you want to go?
Speaker 7: What if you can decide where you want to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor guy putting the heat on him. And then two hours later they made it official and then we saw him. We're like, why can you tell us he goes?
Speaker 7: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't really know. I knew I was going to be tryed. I just didn't know that I was going to be traded or where I was going to be traded. Have you tried the low sugar gatorade?
Speaker 2: Then a lot of headlines yesterday a lot of people picked up the commissioner, Adam Silver, who was with us, and I felt the interview was slipping away. He was talking about, you know, there was a lot of pr there that he wanted to get out, get some positives, remind people. I mean, there's a reason why he came on. I've known him for over thirty years. You know, I knew him when he worked for NBA Entertainment, he was doing production there and now the commissioner. But I could tell that I was running out of time and I wasn't getting anything from him, and he was going to talk about some things. He had bullet points, and then I said, now I got to interrupt him or make it rapid fire. And then that's when I said, give me, give me some of the crazy ideas that come across to your desk. And he had this to say.
Speaker 14: Something else that I'm a fan of. And I'm probably in a minority as we get more involved in global basketball. The NBA is the only league that plays forty eight minutes, and I would be I am a fan of four ten minute quarters. I'm not sure that many others are. I mean, putting inside what it means for records and things like that, I think that a two hour format for a game is more consistent sort of modern television habits. I don't think people in arenas aren't asking us to shorten the game, but I think as a television program being two hours, that's Olympic basket balls being is two hours, you know, college basketball courses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you like it, I'd say it has kind of a little bit of a push there.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but it's such a dramatic change to the game. I mean, I think something like that would have to be talking more about over.
Speaker 2: Time, and once again that's a wild idea. He did say he's in favor of it. He didn't say it's going to be on the agenda, you know, with the owners meetings or the competition committing. You're just throwing out some things he was talking about. You know, maybe you award two free throws if you're fould on a three point attempt. But social media said, oh, why don't you have your players play every game? Why don't you get rid of the three point shot? So this is a this is a global sport. I think players coming over from all over to play, and that's what they play, you know, ten minute quarters, the Olympics ten minute quarters. And what he's saying is can I get my guys to play more games? Maybe the games are more intense, and maybe we don't have load management, and maybe it's more of a consumable product that it's two hours in length. So they have to think of these things. I mean, Rob Manfred came up with the pitch clock. We don't even talk about it now. We're fine with it, right, Everything's okay, even the kickoff in the NFL as goofy as it looks. Okay, we have more returns on kickoffs, which is what we wanted here. I mean, this isn't outlandish that he's saying, Hey, four ten minute quarters. Well, Mike Malone and the Nuggets were at the Garden last night against the Knicks, and he slammed this possibility. He said before the game that I hope we don't go to ten minute quarters. He says, I hope that we don't go to a four point line.
Speaker 3: Nobody said anything about that.
Speaker 2: I hope we don't become Barnum and Bailey when we're just when we just have to do what we have to do to keep viewership. Because there's history and greatness in this game, and it's purity in this game. I hope we can find a way to stay.
Speaker 3: True to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big leap by the head coach of the Nuggets. I mean, we got to be open minded about all of this, and they these coaches should be too. Tom Thibodeau, the Knicks head coach, he didn't like it either. All the commissioners said. He answered a question about kind of the crazy things that come across his desk. He didn't say hey, this is going to happen. He didn't say that, but the headlines don't matter. And if you put it in context of what he's saying, he's saying, hey, I'm a fan of this. But he's just one guy. Here's the Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeaux.
Speaker 6: I'm probably more traditional, so I'd hate to see that just that's just the person. I really haven't thought about it, just because of all the records and things of that nature. So I think we have a great game. I think what people really want to see is competition. So all you know the and when you study which transpired, you know over time there's always been different styles that play, so the sixties, the seventies, eighties, and nineties, but what goes into winning is the same. And then I think what the fans enjoy is great competition. So I think if we focus on the competition aspect of it, that everything else will fall into place.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have romanticized the eighties, late eighties and early nineties that we were younger and oh man did they play. It was physical back then. It wasn't good basketball. First team to ninety you won, it was bad. The Knicks and the calves bad basketball, physical bad basketball. Even going back to the seventies when I was watching, I mean, in my mind, god, it was awesome. But if I went back and looked at it now and I would probably say, yeah, they miss a lot of shots, or there's no movement there, there's no athletics. I mean, whatever the criticisms would be. But I think you've got to be open minded. And what records are we worried about that? Coach Tibbs was talking about what records now, if there's incentive clauses in your contracts, okay, then maybe we'll have to modify those. But I don't think you can look if you're a commissioner nowadays, and look, we got more offense than we've ever had in the NBA. Why do people have a problem with the NBA? You got offense, you got guys shooting threes. But what is it that people don't like? What league added more offense and we go n too much. I don't know, too many threes. I don't like it because I've seen basketball be played where you can incorporate the three, just not be reliant on the three, and that you're seeing people players take threes who shouldn't be taking threes. Everybody, not everybody is meant to do that. But it'd be like me saying to a pitcher, don't throw a hundred. You know what's best. If you don't throw a hundred, you may last a little longer. Or hey, don't be swinging for home runs. I mean, I don't know how to cap the threes, or hey, you only get to swing really hard one time, or you can only throw over one hundred and one pit like, that's what I mean. Baseball is you throw it, you hit it. Now they've tried to add more. They got the stolen base back, I mean, they but that's because you have to be open minded. Now I'm not thrilled about it, but I love that he sh that, and then everybody's going to think that it's going to somehow be put into law next season. Where all he wants to do is get reaction, you gather information. All right, maybe we can't do that, but he's thinking about those things, and he's also looking at you know, how we consume basketball is through social media.
Speaker 3: You're not watching games, but he's not.
Speaker 2: Worried about that as much as are you consuming some part of the game and these networks are waiting in line to give them billions of dollars. Somebody's making money. Somebody's watching this and it's a global sport. But seven of the ten best players aren't even from the United States. This is a global audience as well, and you may not like it, but it might be one of those things when it happens you don't even think about when it's successful.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, I.
Speaker 13: Think the biggest thing that hurts the the NBA is what everyone's thinking load management, where they say, hey, coming up, the Lakers played the Suns. I don't know if Lebron and Kevin Durant are playing. There was a four year stretch where the teams they were on they didn't play like either one of them.
Speaker 2: But this might help that, Like, that's what I thought. Maybe it helps with load management. If you take off the you know, go from forty eight to forty what's that going to mean per season for teams? And it's probably I think you said fifteen games that you'd be taking. You'd still play eighty two games, but the amount of time would amount to fifteen games. Maybe you get players who will play and maybe there won't be load management.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 4: If you look at the NBA and how became a global sport, you remember it's before your time as well. The NBA was secondary to college basketball for decades. In nineteen fifty one, they made the lane twelve feet it used to be six feet.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 4: In nineteen fifty four they added a twenty four second shot clock. Would he have been against that at the time To speed up the game and add all the scoring, they added the three point line after the merger with the ABA. All these things happen, and I'm sure in the moment your instagraction is don't change anything, but you never you never get to the next level without change in any sport.
Speaker 2: I would bring back the red, white and blue basketball that the ABA had, like if you really want to showcate kids would love that, just seeing the rotation going through the air. But you know, once again, you got coaches like Michael Malone who doesn't want a circus out there. Now, it can be a circus in a variety of ways, but I think you've got to be open minded to it. And that's all the commissioner was saying, Hey, I like this idea, but people ran with it as if to say, oh, my gosh, that he wants to do this. That's stupid.
Speaker 13: Yes, Marv, I think the only question the players are going to have is do we still get paid.
Speaker 2: The same they will, it's still the same number of games. This is what's gonna happen, mark my words. The first player who gets paid a million dollars a game and then sits out a game, the reaction is going to be a blow torch because you get paid a million dollars to not play. Then it's going to crystallize for people. They're gonna have this moment where they go, damn, he's getting a million dollars. Now a football player plays seventeen games, you add to the playoffs. I don't think anybody's going to have a problem if Patrick Mahomes is getting paid a million dollars a year to play in that game or two million, because they you know, the careers aren't long and you're gonna only be playing seventeen eighteen nineteen games basketball.
Speaker 3: That's where you get i'd i'd play for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but when shay Gilges Alexander makes eighty two million dollars, I want to know that. I watch the reaction when he's sitting now. Maybe he doesn't sit out games. By the way, I think he had fifty four last night. Yes, ma, relax, you only have fifty two fifty two my bad, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 1: But even with the.
Speaker 12: Load management and you buy tickets to a game and you don't even know if your top players are going to play, and the cost of parking and food and jerseys and everything, people are still showing up. It hasn't gotten to the point where such a little amount of fans to shut up to games where they're losing significant money, where the owners are like, we got to lower the price, so we got to make sure these guys play more because no one's coming anymore. So somehow they're making money enough to pay all these players. So these fans are complaining, but they're still tuning in. According to him Silver, the ratings are about the same this last year, is what he was selling.
Speaker 2: Okay, then why would he be suggesting this if there wasn't an issue. He's looking towards the future here. If everything's great, then don't award two free throws on a miss three pointer that you get found. Don't think about making it forty minutes. If everything's great, it's like everything's great in here. I don't go, you know what, I think I need to make a change with the dan Nets.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense. If everything is great, then fine. But you have to be forward thinking. If you're a commissioner, you have to be because you're I mean, everybody's looking for their spot. There's only so much time in a day or in a week or a month or a year, and the NFL encroaches on everybody. And that's what all of these commissioners. You know, you have college football right now, the big ten in the SEC and the other commissioners, but really it's those two talking to Commissioner Roger Goodell. They want to work with the NFL to say, can you help us have our standalone national title game? So it's not later, it's after the AFC, NFC title game or division game. That's what's happening. You have to partner up. You have to understand your place on the sports landscape. And I think that's all Adam Silver did. He's just looking, what do we do? How do we do it? When do we do it? Do we do anything? Do we raise the basket? Do we lower the basket? I mean not lower the bat. Do we widen the floor? Like guys are so big. If you watch a game in person, you're like, how does everybody fit on the offense or defensive side of the ball, Like there's not enough room. I think you can get in the corner. I don't even know. Like some guys probably can't even shoot threes in there because it can't get their feet in bounds.
Speaker 13: Yes, Marvin, unrelated, but kind of related. NBA players are enormous. AJ Brown was at the at the Lakers game. He looked like a little person next to Lebron, like or Tyrese Maxson, Steph Curry and Miles Garrett are the same height. Like, these guys are enormous humans. And now you want to have him sit in the corner? Were their feet barely touched?
Speaker 2: I saw Connor McGregor with Brook Lopez. Size of them up now, I mean Connor McGregor, you could rest a drink on his head. But still you saw, boy, that guy he's the baddest man. And then you know you're around him and you go, oh, dang, you're like five eight. Here's Brook Lopez seven feet tall, staring down. It was funny video all right, let me take a break.
Speaker 3: Let me take a break. We'll come back with our play of the day right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap Oh.
Speaker 3: My God of the Day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 9: Check this out.
Speaker 2: Shruger with the ball at the logo guarded by Gildas, Alexander goes by him, hand off, Peyton.
Speaker 10: Goes good on heart and Stuffy little elevation said says for GP two.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the Game Warriors Radio Network. Gary Payton, Junior of the second throws down a dunk over Isaiah Hartenstein. The Warriors entered a three game home losing streak as they beat the Thunder despite Shay Gilgis Alexander scoring fifty two. That is your play of the Play of the Day, brought to you by Get the Pros, the Right Pros. We got to have the right team on the court. Express Employment Professionals. They can help from contract placements to full time hires. We've got you covered. Visit expresspros dot Com today. They'll handle your hiring so you can focus on growing your business. Dylan in for Seaton, who's on the road. He'll join us a little bit later on would you update the pull results from the first forty nine minutes of the program?
Speaker 8: Yes, Stan, So the question was, without knowing what would happen in the future, would you've traded Alex Smith after the twenty seventeen season?
Speaker 7: Sixty five percent say no.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Yeah, a little surprised with that.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a good year, he did, but you know, they went nine and nine and six. He went nine and six.
Speaker 8: It was their worst record of like their previous four seasons, but his best statistically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he had won eleven games three times in his career in Kansas City. But that was seven years ago today that he was traded. We were in Minneapolis that that morning. All right, a couple more phone calls in here Andrew and Washington. Hi Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Good morning, Dan Dannitz, Thanks for taking my call. I want to give a shout out to Dylan. Dylan, You're doing a great job. Just remember it is thank you Todd, not Todd.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 15: Anyways, the forty minute NBA game sounds really good to me. I actually think it'll work out great. Yes, the rotations will be different, but Mike Malone just made a reference to something that none of us think would be great, the four point line, to make it look hokey. But I think that it'll be good for the NBA. Just like Polly said, all those other things that were put in place, we don't look back on them. And TIBs, what record are you really worried about? So I wish somebody would have followed up to that question. To get ready for the Super Bowl. I do have a quick trivia question for the room. So there's only been one thousand yard rusher for the last ten Super Bowl winners. Can anybody name who that running back was?
Speaker 3: Super Bowl winning team had a thousand yard rusher?
Speaker 15: Only one of them over the last ten years?
Speaker 2: All right, anybody want to offer a guess? One thousand yard rusher and the last ten Super Bowl winners Crickets? Crickets?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, was it the Eagles?
Speaker 15: Oh here's a clue. Dan needed a clarification about this guy's last name on last week's DP Tech a Gamble podcast.
Speaker 3: Needed a clarification.
Speaker 7: You remember, Marv, So it's not Christian Akoye.
Speaker 3: No, they didn't win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: My guess was going to be Jay a jockey, which is a tough last name.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 15: Actually, there was a little clarification on certain products and the thousand yard rusher was for the twenty sixteenth Patriots carrot blunt.
Speaker 3: Oh all righty, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: You didn't know I needed a pronouncer on that or Clarificationdayanaday.
Speaker 3: Standard today. Thank you, Andrew. I think I was.
Speaker 2: I needed a blunt and a joint. I think that was the reference that came up on the gambling podcast.
Speaker 13: You wanted to know the difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I didn't know the difference between a blunt and a joint.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul Lagarrett has to have a side business. Lagarrett's blunts his hometown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but even he spelled Blount.
Speaker 3: Yeah b l o u n T.
Speaker 7: Blount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a Lagarrett blunt. What is the difference between a joint and a blunt?
Speaker 8: Dylan blunts a cigar wrapper versus like a rolling paper. Okay, so just take the guts out of a cigar.
Speaker 3: So that'd be like what Snoop would smoke. He smokes blunts.
Speaker 8: I don't think he discriminates too much, but yeah, he's probably taken down a few blunts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and where does a spliff fit in here?
Speaker 7: That's weed and tobacco in the same vessel.
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Dang, we haven't missed a beat with seat out of here because he would be the one I'd be asking those questions too, just doing my job, Dan, Thank you, Dylan, Thank you. Gambling Podcast after the show, we'll have Shyan Irving Sammy p is back who said that the Chiefs were going to win the Super Bowl the start of the year with his Predictiontsy Yeah, bad, Larry, Yeah, I think he had the Eagles though the NFC and that was, you know, looking back, that was a gutsy call, so bad, Larry, Shaye, Irving Dylan will have the Gambling Podcast available at Dan patrick dot com. You can also go there and follow along where Seaton is on the road. We'll hear from him coming up. Also, I make the case that will never have anybody other than a quarterback win an MVP.
Speaker 3: In my lifetime.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about that coming up hour two with Fritzie Dylan, Marv Pauley yours truly We're back after this