Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this program, Award nominated. I want to thank the Dan nets for filling in the last forty minutes. Had some technical difficulties, but full speed ahead. Eight seven to seven three DP Show Email address dpat Danpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle at DP Show stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Thursday night football is back NFL preseason Panthers against the Cardinals. You throw out the records when those two get together. It's the Hall of Fame Game Thursday on NBC and Peacock, which is where you can find this program if you'd like to watch. I like to watch what was that Chauncey Gardner. It was Peter Sellers in the movie Being There. Oh yeah, great great movie, great movie. And he is brilliant in that movie. But at one point he says, I like to watch Yes, Todd, I like to watch two. Actually, I know you do.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I'm a little bit of a way you're heard.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP Show Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, the promo for the Hall of Fame game should be we're starting the season with Panthers Cardinals. We're not ending the season with Panthers Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, well, the Panthers are a playoff to you. All right? Pull question from our one. You want to recap that, Dylan, and then we'll set sail into hour two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, We've we've got two up there from our one. Spending a lot on your running back? Is smart or not smart? Sixty seven percent say not smart? And how often do you replace your phone? Every new model? Every couple of years? Almost never, only if mine breaks? Forty six percent say just every couple of years.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't even think about it until somebody says, man, how old is that? And I go, I don't know how old is that? Like a seven or eight? I go, I have no idea. But if you call and I pick up, then I'll it still works. You know. Maybe maybe the camera isn't as you know, high quality as the previous ones, but I'm not sure. Bells and whistles, but yeah, that's the only time I changed my phone when somebody kind of forces me to shames me into it. Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember when the first iPhone came out that had the three cameras on the back. You didn't want to get caught dead with the single camera on the back.
Speaker 2: And let me check with my I think I have two cameras. I have two also, yeah, rough, uh oh, Marvin, you got three after three? Okay, Paul.
Speaker 5: I'm going to admit something right now before you guys call me out. I've never had an iPhone. I have a non iPhone, and I've had this brand of phone for at least twenty years. The other day, I was in the car with my daughter and her teenage friends and they were asking about something. I had to hold up my phone to show them. They went when they saw my non iPhone, you thought I had a rash on my arm, Like damn. I thought I was the cool dad, the sports dad. They're like, oh, mister, paps, it's not an iPhone.
Speaker 2: And Bob Costas had a flip phone for years and years. And Andrew Luck had a flip phone for years and years. So Albert Brier, the Monday Morning quarterback, he was at the Rams camp Chargers camp. He'll join us coming up a little bit. Mike Sando senior NFL writer at the Athletic. He's got a new list out of quarterbacks. You know, I love me a good list, So we'll talk to him about what went into compiling that list. B Jean Robinson the highest paid running back in the NFL, at least for the time being until Jamiir Gibbs signs his contract whenever that is. We mentioned last hour. Notre Dame usc back in twenty thirty. This is what I love about this though, that you can schedule a couple of tough games. If you're going to go to a sixteen game schedule, sixteen playoffs schedule, you can lose a game or two. And Notre Dame nearly got into the playoffs last year. They lost to A and M and they lost to Miami. But had that been that sixteen team playoff, they would have made it. And I want to encourage or hopefully they go. They're able to encourage teams to schedule some tougher teams to start the year because if Notre Dame lost to A and M and Miami at the end of the year, they wouldn't have had any chance getting into the playoffs. But they lost to those two teams close games. Beginning of the year. They start out zero to two, and their schedule is never going to be difficult because you're going to bring in what two or three quality opponents it feels like, and then you hand pick everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, when they expand the playoffs to twenty four teams, how many quote unquote good losses can a big time team afford to have?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're going to afford to have two. But I also think it's when you lose those games. I think that's really important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pably, what hurts Notre Dame year in and year out. Weirdly, even though they generally are going to make the playoffs, their schedule the back half of the season, they don't have a killer national TV heavyweight on their schedule. You go last year they had Boston College, Navy, Pitt, Syracuse, Stanford. None of those games helped them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also you have CJ. Carr, who might be the favorite for the Heisman. He'll lose out on that great game at the end of the year. Because we usually focus in on one game where somebody can win the Heisman or lose the Heisman late in the year. But you know, if you're looking for a big game. What do they have something early November?
Speaker 5: Paul, Yeah, they Notre Dame hosts Miami on NBC November seventh. That could be a Heisman game.
Speaker 2: Yes, that might help out with Cjkarr. This second hour brought to you by chat gpt. They have a new agent for larger projects, chat gpt work. You give it a goal. You help turn scattered materials into finished work. You get started at chatgpt dot com by selecting work mode available on plus and pro plans. What's the poll question for hour or two? Dylan? Or did I miss that?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: We got a smattering from Todd.
Speaker 2: If you're interested, sure, smatter me away.
Speaker 6: Notre Dame in USC renewing their rivalry dot dot dot doesn't excite me all that much?
Speaker 3: Or is so awesome?
Speaker 6: I can't wait until twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to wait, whether you want to or not. We don't have many rivalries and I want to hold on to the ones we have and Notre Dame USC I get while USC is like, look, we play a big ten schedule. You know we don't want to add another quality opponent to this. But if we're expanding the playoffs, and they go to twenty four. There's no excuses now for not having that. You know that, you know Texas and Ohio State. That was awesome. I mean it wasn't necessarily a great game, but still you get two really good teams to start the year instead of we scheduled the Citadel and you go, okay, yes, Poe.
Speaker 5: If you look at USC this year, they don't have a big early September game to boost them up. They've got San Jose State, Fresno State, Louisiana, not LSU, Louisiana, no offense, Ragingcaguns, and Rutgers. Those are the that's their.
Speaker 2: September Oh I sit corrected DraftKings has the oh no, this is the number one pick in the draft odds I got I didn't get the Heisman odds. Arch Manning is one, Dante Moore is two, CJ. Carrs three, and then dips down to Jeremiah Smith, Leonoris Sellers, Darien Mensa Julian saying, uh so, all right, there's a lot of names in this draft coming up. I mean, this should be we say it every year, but this should be one of those. Wow, you got a couple of franchise quarterback. No, we do, but yeah, I'm already hyping the draft, yes, Marmon.
Speaker 4: And there's a guy that's going to be in the top ten that we've never heard of right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's usually somebody who climbs. And then this is where we say, oh, CJ. Carrs the third best odds, and then if he happens to fall out of the top ten, then we blame CJ. Carr, not us, because we put him in there with the third best odds to be the number one pick in the draft. Yes, Dylan, we sort of.
Speaker 6: Did this yesterday with the Dodgers versus the field. Would you take Arch Manning versus the field to go number one overall?
Speaker 2: I'll say I'll take the field, Yeah, pullint.
Speaker 5: I went back and looked. I found two different legitimate mock drafts from a year ago.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 5: Amongst the players in the top ten of the mock draft, quarterback Leonora Sellers of South Carolina Drew Aller of Penn State. Sellers went back to college and Drew Aller was a late pick late in the draft pick Cad Klubnik was a top ten pick out of Clemson a year ago. It changes the draft board.
Speaker 2: Well also, and we're talking about quarterbacks and it feels like, you know, this year's flavor won't be next year's flavor, and vice versa. That we get on that hype train and you watch somebody and you go, oh wow. I think it was Kirk Krbstreet who was telling me about c J. Carr. I know Brady Quinn. Brady Quinn's like, he's the best quarterback last year, and I go, all right, I praise and he'll be up there. I think he has the best odds for the Heisman. They could go undefeated, which would pave the way, I'm sure for him to win the Heisman Trophy. Alrighty eight seven to seven to three, DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at tp show. The running back market Bijan at twenty two point two, Saquon at twenty point six, McCaffrey at nineteen million. I remember when Alvin Kamaras signed his deal and I think incentives or signing bonus, it was like fifteen million. So he's at twelve point two. Jeremiah Love hasn't played it down. He's the ninth highest paid running back. Jonathan Taylor he might be a Bargain at fourteen million dollars when you consider what he does. Kenneth Walker getting paid leaving Seattle to go to the Chiefs Derrick Henry at fifteen million, Breece Hall got paid and that surprised me. I think he's a really good running back. I don't know if he should be the fifth highest paid running back at fifteen point two, Debon Hn at sixteen million, but Jamiir Gibbs is up next. I don't know how important it is for him to be the highest paid running back, but he's probably going to be. Benny and Wisconsin. Hi, Benny, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Well, the I'm going to change topics here a little bit. And first I want to give kudos to the boys for holding it down while you were off air. But by the way, people on hold can hear everything you guys were doing in between and while we were I was kind of expecting a little more chaos. You guys did a great job. Marvin, great job with that dude, Whites and Fritzy, Yeah, weird rating, Spike. The Brewers not getting there school is what I really wanted to talk to you about. Their dan okay, and it's being reported here in Wisconsin on the radio that the Tigers weren't even really listening or taking the Burrs offers seriously because everybody knew he was going.
Speaker 10: To the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: And why wouldn't you Why wouldn't you want to go to the Dodgers, Dan, I mean, you're almost guaranteed the World Series. And this is my problem with baseball now and has been for quite some time, honestly, as a small market team rooting for, you know, my Brewers against the big goliath, it just seems to me that you're only going to have one or two choices throot for in the major leagues. And I don't think anybody is really happy with having to choose between one or two things, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know there's a disparity here, But if did the Brewers at least try to make an offer, That's what I'd be curious about. Because it's a good team, third best odds to win the World Series. I just got to make sure that I at least do my damn just to teach take Trek Scuble out of the Dodgers' rotation here so I can help our team and I can hurt the Dodgers a little bit. Maybe they didn't want to fork over some of their prospects, maybe they didn't have something that caught Detroit's attention. But I don't know. I know Trek Scubel wanted to go to the Dodgers. But if you give Detroit a better deal than the Dodgers, then they should be holding to Milwaukee. Yes, PAULI yeah.
Speaker 5: I was reading a few columns with Milwaukee newspapers and they echoed the same thing you're saying.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 5: It's like, I think the last time the Brewers were in the World Series was eighty two. And what's the downside? You lose a couple of minor league guys. You're on this run. The Brewers have made the postseason seven of the past nine years. They're really good franchise, They're consistent, but you just got to pick off that one World Series and Dodgers are playing for three, You're playing for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a glass ceiling. It feels like like this is as good as we can get given the payroll constraints, small market, but you know, sometimes you got to swing for the fences. It feels like if I'm the Rays, I know I can't keep Trek scouble, but I can. I can win the American League. I gotta deal with the Yankees. I can win the American League. I can go to the World Series. I don't know how important that is. And you know, with they're moving into a new stadium, I don't know. Maybe if you win a World Series, somebody says, you know what, I'm going to stay. I don't know if they can spend that money. I mean, school bl is gonna get you know, a couple one hundred million dollars here. Yes, Marvin, they.
Speaker 4: Could be like the Marlins when they won the World Series, like, hey, let's just get rid of everybody as soon as we win.
Speaker 2: I know they did that twice. It's like like five years they had a rebuilding and then they won, and then they needed to rebuild again. Yes, Marvin, I don't think.
Speaker 4: The Marlins have won the NL East, but they have two World Series titles.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous. Yes.
Speaker 5: Well, in the first twenty five years of the then Florida Marlins then Miami Marlins from ninety three to twenty nineteen, they made the playoffs twice. Both times they won the World Series. They never made the playoffs again.
Speaker 3: I like it all or nothing.
Speaker 2: The day, yeahda the day day? Here it comes that What Why? Brought to you by Pennini America. I mentioned this in the first hour that we have a calendar that we put out once a year and we want you to be involved in this. It's high school yearbook photos and if you would like to send in your best, worst, or most awkward yearbook photo. Marvin, do you have the email address? Since we screwed that up in the first hour Mario gave me the email address and it turned out it was incorrect.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want to put it on him, but DP calendar twenty twenty seven at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's on Mario because yesterday I'm talking to him and he said, I'm going to have the address for you. I'll get it for you, all right. I'm the Eyes and Ears of the show, and I go, okay, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: I like to split the difference. Here as a light punishment to Mario, we get to see his team your year high school photo.
Speaker 3: There you go, promsela.
Speaker 2: DP calendar twenty twenty seven at gmail dot com. Marvin, Okay, you send us your best, worst, most awkward yearbook picture and we'll try to include that. We have the entire month of December we're going to dedicate to our listeners.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tod, does Mary really refer to himself as the eyes and ears of the show.
Speaker 3: That would be very disheartening if you actually said that to you.
Speaker 2: He does. People are hard to think. As the director, he should be the eyes and ears of the show.
Speaker 3: But you can't verbalize it like that and call yourself that.
Speaker 2: Well, you call yourself the best booker in the business.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's an off air kind of thing, I would stop you trying to shake it off.
Speaker 2: Sag sound braggadocia. Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback, will join us. Does he think Aaron Donald is coming back? And is this the we finally see justin Herbert take that jump upwards. We're back after this in The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, It's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm, Eastern on Fox Sports Radio. We are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 11: You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 7: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: Broncos yesterday, he's at the Chiefs. Today, Texans Lines, Bengals, Colts, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Bills. He's Albert Breer, very very busy man. Thanks for joining us. Let me start with the headline. Aaron Donald, the possibility of him coming back, the general sense that you got when you were with the Rams was what.
Speaker 12: I think he's coming back, and I think he will play the full season. I would say it's unlikely that happens before they leave Royal and Marormount, where they're having their training camp. I believe they leave there on Friday, and I think after that everything's in play when they get back to their home facility. And look, they've discussed this. You know, Sean McVay and Aaron Donald are very very close, and they already have the framework of a plan laid out for what this is going to look like.
Speaker 3: And how they're going to handle it.
Speaker 12: And I think one thing that helps, in a weird roundabout way is the fact that he held out in twenty and seventeen. In twenty eighteen, those are Sean mcvay's first two years in LA and in both of those years they had to be creative and ramping them up and getting getting them ready to play the season. And in both those years, Aaron Donald was the defensive player of the year, and the second of those years they went to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: So they have an idea of how to do this.
Speaker 12: And you know, I think the other thing that really helps is the depth they have at that position, Like they don't need to play him sixty plays a game.
Speaker 3: They can use him creatively.
Speaker 12: And they liked the you know, the Kobe Turners, the Braden Fisks, the Punafords, the Tyler Davis's. This is a situation where they can really use him in a way that's gonna, I think, put them in position to be at his best when it matters most.
Speaker 2: You remember the last time a team was hyped this much preseason, and the team that wasn't the defending Super Bowl champ.
Speaker 12: The Rams in two thousand and twenty one, maybe when they traded for Stafford.
Speaker 3: It's sort of similar to that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, I like I remember being on the ground floor for the dreamed team Eagles coming out of the lockout and what that was like and all the hut because if you remember, like that year, free agency happened at the start of training camp and so when they signed not the awesome Law to a team that had, like Michael Vick was coming off of a fantastic year, and obviously that went the wrong way, But like there's a ton of hype around that team.
Speaker 3: You see this, I mean, I don't.
Speaker 12: I don't think this is like an outsized amount of hype, you.
Speaker 3: Know, but it isn't every year that you see a team in a position like this.
Speaker 2: We had Bjean Robinson, he signed his contract. Jamiir Gibbs now in the on deck circle, what's your philosophy of, you know, re signing a first round pick at that position.
Speaker 12: I actually think Dan, it's gotten to the point where running back has been devalued like so much that it's becoming a value to sign one. And I remember this two years ago, right the off season in twenty twenty four, And if you remember that that year, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, and Josh Jacobs were all free agents, and the Eagles, the Ravens.
Speaker 3: And the Packers signed those three guys.
Speaker 12: And I remember thinking to myself that in the moment when that was happening, like those aren't stupid teams, you know what I mean, Like, those aren't teams that are going and doing dumb things in March and winning the offseason. And you know, the more you talk to people in those organizations, you realize, like the way smart teams are starting to look at it is, here's a guy I'm going to give the ball to fifteen twenty twenty five times a game. That's way more than the receivers getting the ball. He's going to contribute to both the run game in the past game in a really significant way. And if I have like a bad year at the end of the contract, like is, if that's the cost, that's almost nothing. Saquon Barkley that offseason got like the equivalent of.
Speaker 3: What Darnell Mooney got.
Speaker 12: No way to think about that, like that was the comparable contract third receivers are getting. We're getting sixteen million dollars a year and that's you know, like more than those guys got that offseason. So I mean it's starting to correct itself a little bit. But I mean I'm in Chiefs camp right now. It's part of the reason why they go and sign Kenneth Walker's relative peanuts when you compare to compared to what guys are making at other positions. So, you know, I think it went from like it's not smart to sign a running back with a lot of mileage, you know, in year four, year five, to a contract at the top of the market, to now it's at the top of the market. Is a fraction of what it is at other positions. So what are we even talking about.
Speaker 2: He's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning quarterback senior NFL reporter. He's at the Chiefs today. Speaking of which, with Mahomes coming back from surgery, you bring in Kenneth Walker, the Chiefs offensive philosophy changing because of maybe Mahomes not running as much as he normally would.
Speaker 12: Yeah, new coordinator too, you know, So I mean Andy's obviously still running the offense, but you do go from Matt Naggie back to Eric the enemy. I do think there's gonna be more of a commitment to the run game. I think there's gonna be a little bit of a shift playing under center a little bit more with Kenneth Walker here, And you know, I think that that's going to serve a couple of purposes. Number One, you know, I think it's going to help Mahomes as he comes back from the knee, because there's always an adjustment. He's looked great, he hasn't missed anything. He's been out here every day, you know. But I think it's also going to unlock some things in the passing game for them. And so I do think that the Chiefs offense is going to look a little bit different.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think, you know, a guy like Walker can.
Speaker 12: Unlock a lot of different things for them, and he was such an important part of what the Seahawks did, so so yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 12: They are going to have a little bit of a different look on offense versus they've had the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Is this the year justin Herbert Back's like maybe a top five quarterback?
Speaker 12: There are so many things in place there, Dan, I mean, I think, you know, you look at it now, and I'm not sure he got enough credit for last year, by the way, like they won eleven games despite losing Joe Alt and Rashaun Slater. Not only that, they were at one point down to like their fifth and six tackles, and that's the foundation of their identity, That's what their investment was was in that offensive line. And so I think to be able to win eleven games, now you've got all back, now you've got Slater back. They expect their young receivers Lad McConkie, Trey Harris to come along, Omari and Hampton, the rookie running back from last year is.
Speaker 3: Back for his second year and healthy again.
Speaker 12: It just feels like if they can stay healthy, there's a lot of things set up for Justin Herbert to have a really big year. And I think a huge part of the equation is Mike McDaniel and what he's going to be able to do. Mike McDaniels never had a quarterback like this, you know, and we've seen creatively what he's been able to do over the years. He was obviously, you know, you know, part of those San Francisco teams that built around Jimmy Garoppolo, and they got the most out of Tua and went to the playoffs with Tua.
Speaker 3: You know in Miami. You know, now you're giving him a guy who you know.
Speaker 12: Forces you to defend every play the grass in the field and has the mind to manipulate everything in between.
Speaker 3: I know Mike is super excited to work with Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: I don't want to jump on a hype train, but I do love what the Cowboys have on offense, and it comes down to just how good they are on defense. And I thought, if they come close to the offensive numbers, yeah, I just need a top fifteen defense. It feels like for this team to be an actual, true contender. What did you feel or take away when you visited the Cowboys?
Speaker 12: They view themselves as almost the reverse Texans, if that makes sense, you know what I mean? Like, if the Texas could just be pretty good on offense, they'll be unbelievable of the team because of their defenses is off the charts, and they really think they have a chance to have the best offensive football And they have to answer the left tackle question. But those two receivers are too legitimate number one guys. You know, like they they feel good about the makeup of their team. A young running back, they have Jaden Blue out of Texas going in the second year is going to be a factor. And they look at themselves defensively as we can't have a lot of injuries. But for Shaun Gary, Donovan Zeraku, Kenny Clark, Quinn Williams, they're the way that they see it and that the youngs that the young safety they bring in, Caleb down is playing next to a veteran and Jalen Thompson is coming over from Arizona.
Speaker 3: If they can just stay healthy.
Speaker 12: With a new defensive coordinator coming in there and Christian Parker's bringing Vic Fangio's scheme, they've got a chance to be representative on the defensive side of the ball, like a good solid defense, and that, like you said, given the offense they had, maybe all they need. The other things interesting about them, the makeup of the team's really good coming out of the Micaeh Parsons trade from last year. Like a lot of good guys there, and I don't think it's a mistake. Kenny Clark, former team captain, Quintin Williams, former team captain, jay On Thompson, former team captain.
Speaker 3: And I talked to Dak about this. He's not afraid.
Speaker 12: To put into words their aspirations to go and win a Super Bowl this year. So it'll be interesting to see how the defense comes along. But I think it should be good on that side of the ball. You're right, they've got a chance.
Speaker 2: Give me the surprise team, good or bad in your opinion.
Speaker 12: I think we cover these things so thoroughly now that by the time we get to August, we're like out of surprise teams.
Speaker 3: So I don't know who that would be.
Speaker 12: I mean, I look at the NFC South, honestly, Dan, and I look at New Orleans and the way New Orleans came on last year, and like, I think Kellen Moore is a really good offensive design guy, offensive play caller. They've got a good defensive coordinator in Brandon Staley. If Tyler Schuck can be who he was for the last six games of last year over the course of a full year. Well, they've got two first round picks that tackle. They've got two first round picks at receiver. They have Tamara and Etci ended running back. They're bringing in, you know, a new tight end in Oscar delt to go with Juwan Johnson. I just there are a lot of pieces in place there and they looked really good at the end of last year. So the danger has always taken like the December of the year before and projecting it. But I think, but I think New Orleans there was a surprise team because I think you could take twenty two teams, twenty three teams, twenty four teams off the table as we've all talked.
Speaker 3: About all of them.
Speaker 12: Maybe one of the team is like out of the group that's left that might surprise the people will be New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Safe travels. Thanks for spending some time with us. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 12: Thanks Dan, I have somebody to take a picture of my ridiculous setup. Here you are perched on top of a tall attack of coke and a twelve attack of die coke.
Speaker 3: But we made it work.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Albert.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer Monday Morning quarterback. Yeah, there's movement behind him. There's guys getting soft drinks out of the cooler right next to it. But he's been a busy man at the Chiefs today, at the Broncos yesterday. Then he's got Texans, Lions, Bengals, Cold Spares, Packers, Vikings, Browns and the Bills. A couple of phone calls in here. Trip in Vegas is back, Hi, Trip, what do you have for me?
Speaker 10: Hey, DP, good morning. I was good to speak to y'all last week when we were talking about trade value of the day and Net's so basically, I think you guys are set to win now till you retire, meaning that Polly quarterback Overki or Marvin's a small handed but a sure handed, skilled position player that's deserving. Dylan's on a rookie contract, so you can't do anything with him, And then with Todd, he just reminds me of Roger Dorn in the movie Major League when they go, Hey, we didn't know you didn't have any high We thought you didn't have any high price talent.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 10: He's just high priced.
Speaker 2: Don't have a good day. Thank you, Trip.
Speaker 12: He's always got a shot for me, Trip, Yeah, he does take a share.
Speaker 3: It's usually very accurate.
Speaker 2: I got no comeback, Zach, and Knoxville's back. Hi, Zach, what do you have for me?
Speaker 3: Adip?
Speaker 13: Thanks for taking my call to play off the running back conversation. Would you rather have a Saquon Barkley or a Jon Robinson or would you rather funnel that money towards like say like a T Higgins and a solid number two wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Oh, it feels like you can get receivers, but then it feels like I can get running backs as well. But there's only a couple that are that high end, like Saquon Bijeon, Jamiir Gibbs. If you want to still throw in Christian McCaffrey. McCaffrey's not a home run hitter like he used to be. The other guys are home run hitters, and there's very That's why I was like Jeremiah Love, I thought he was going to be the best player in the draft. I thought he was a home run hitter. He could, you know, kick return out of the backfield, catch passes and like Arizona may get it right one of these days. They do have. You do have some talent, like if Marvin Harrison continues to progress, Trey McBride, like you have, you have some pieces there. You could just use a quarterback there. That's what's kind of holding him back. Charlie and Dayton, Hi, Charlie, what do you have for me?
Speaker 11: Good morning?
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 11: You were talking about the potential further to be a cat for in the MLB and somebody was talking about, you know, the problems that may or may not solve. And if the main problem is me trying to figure out if the Cincinnati Reds our a farm team or a legitimate team, I think that is a big problem. And I would I would guess that the cat floor would maybe solved that or at least make me think that the Reds are trying to be relevant or you know, a small market team. Would the four saw would it be similar to like how the NFL like is It would put it to the point where, like a major League Baseball team at least gives you the illusion that you are relevant.
Speaker 2: Well, I think just making the playoffs is probably good enough for quite a few owners that you're gonna make your money. You're gonna have people come out and revenue share, and we don't. We're not going to be in for the big guys. Maybe we get lucky like Arizona did a couple of years ago where they take out the Dodgers. But you got to spend money. It's gonna be really challenging. Maybe Tampa does it. Maybe Tampa surprises people. The American League is open for business. I know the Yankees are there. See, I thought the Yankees would have been involved in the Trek Scooble sweepstakes as well. And maybe it's not that desirable or the Dodgers are so desirable that they're taking people out of you know, the process here of you know, offering up some kind of trade. But imagine, if you're the Yankees, you can go back to the World Series, you get Trek Scouble, you can go back to the World Series. Because who's in your way? Now? The Red Sox are playing great? Is there going to be something out of the Central The West is terrible. They're horrible, I mean terrible. And so if I'm the Yankee now they may say we're gonna go to the World Series anyway, But I got Tampa to worry about Seattle. You're the Yankees, and if you had Trek Scuble, you're going to the World Series. In my opinion, Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 5: The Al West is terrible, Dan, as you said, the best team has is fifty eight and fifty six the Astros. They've been outscored by twenty nine runs this year. Every team in the division has been outscored this season.
Speaker 2: We'll talk quarterbacks. Ranking quarterbacks coming up next hour, Mike Sando. He did a deep dive. He is a senior NFL writer for the Athletic Kill Join us in about forty minutes from now. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming up. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Cody in Texas, Hi Cody, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan, Just want to really give a quick shout out to the guys I was watching on Peacock. But it's such a good job with all the technical difficulties. But you know, talking about the Beijon signing, you know I'm having you know, p at PTSD from the Ezekiel Elliott signing from the Cowboys years ago that you were so right on the head about. You know, it's just it's such a gamble and a risk. And you know, going back to first hour, the guys were talking about college football scheduling. You know, there used to be that week in the SEC where there was a cupcase every year, you know, the Citadel or Chattanooga, Tennessee if you're at the schedule now, I'm moving forward. A lot of that's gone away, So the SEC is now actually looks like they're backloading. A lot of the schedule probably has to do with the course playoff selection and trying to get as many teams eren as they can.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't they go to nine games? Paulie that you had to play nine conference games? Yes, so that probably took away one of those cupcakes. Jeff and Milwaukee. Hi, Jeff, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 15: Hey morning? I am wondering if ye as far as school goes, so, talking as a Brewis fan, as I've marinated on this, of course, the first thing I thought on Saturday was, you've got to be kidding me. The Dodgers did this again? How could they do it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 15: Then I became why didn't the Brewers do this? And just had knee surgery yesterday? And also a reason that I somehow wanted to call if you can believe that with your shut and audience. But maybe it's the drugs talking. But did do the other owners not want to beat the Dodgers offer so that they can have the storyline going into the offseason that the Dodgers are too rich and we need a salary cap.
Speaker 2: Well, but if you look at what the Dodgers gave up to get Schoolball, just to get him, I know that they can pay him and most of these other teams can't. By most baseball experts accounts, that's not it wasn't this treasure trove that Detroit got. I think that was what was surprising is other teams probably could have trumped that. The question is are you okay with an excuse as to why you didn't win? If I'm an owner, like I have to be, you know, fiscally responsible, but I also have to be responsible for occasionally getting out of my comfort zone and trying to win something larger. Could you imagine if the Brewers won the World Series? I mean, that's generational. The Dodgers don't. It's not we expect them to win. If the Yankees win, okay, that might be a little bit of a surprise. But if the Guardians would happen to win, Tampa would happen to win. Tampa has been to World Series. But you know these are moments where you go, are we can we go toe to toe in a seven game series? That's how I would view this and if you give me Mesarowski and Scooble, if I could get him, I know it's a rental. What happens if we win the World Series? Is there any chance of keeping him? What's a better chance than not getting him at all? Jim in Michigan, Hi, Jim, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 14: Just wanted to test base with you. I was watching NBAWNBA game on Saturday with Indiana and Minnesota. I'm having a hard time interpreting what the rest consider pedal. It just seems that there's a lot of vagueness and a laborious procedure to determine what's happened. I don't know if it's the same way in the NBA, but that's the frustration for a viewer on for me on a novice viewer on TV, coupled with the trash talk that it's like a bunch of playground pullie, it's not comfortable to watch. I guess that's what I'll say. And I'm new to the NWNBA, but I wish, I wish I could understand a little bit more of what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Well. We've tried to get the commissioner on that's not happening. But if you're new to the WNBA, then you're new to the physicality of women's basketball. This is not college basketball. This is professional basketball, and there is physicality. That's what surprises everybody. People may have just stumbled upon the WNBA a couple of years ago when Caitlyn Clark came in, and that's where people are like, Wow, they're roughing your up. Yes they are, but you're gonna do that if you're allowed to do that. But it's rough all over. It's not just Caitlin Clark, but we do focus on her. But the league is physical. These are great athletes out there. It's thought, hey, four bounce passes and you know, a set shot. They're creating offensively, defensively, big, quick, fast, strong, great shooters. It's just different. People got in and all of a sudden they couldn't believe how physical. I would be physical with Caitlin Clark if I was guarding here, because I can get into her head. I'm goleta frustrated I'm picking her up half court. I mean, that would be my philosophy, and I would tell my team go get her until otherwise, go get her. Yes, Marvin You.
Speaker 4: Always talk about that with Steph Curry, and I think the big difference is nothing seems to rattle Steph Curry. Steph Curry's always pretty even keel when he's on the floor, even when guys are trying to get physical with him. And also the difference is he's always moving around, so he's not just standing in one place, so you just can't stand there and rough them up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's really important aspect of Steph Curry's game that's underrated. He's in constant motion and he's one of the smallest guys on the floor, but you got to catch up to it. He's gonna run you. Final hour on this Tuesday coming up, talk some football who's in the confessional. Paul's going in there and rightfully so Final Hour right after this