Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Wednesday, is it patience Wednesday? Perspective Wednesday? Trying to add some perspective here today?
Speaker 3: I was trying to find a word, because I don't know how much we love alliteration, a W word that would go with Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Like wisdom Wednesday. Oh, wisdom Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Damnit.
Speaker 2: See I've been spending two.
Speaker 3: Hours thinking about that. Why can you just ask me lesson learned? Yeah, that you know what that is? Then wisdom?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you. Paulie hates a literation for somebody whose name is Paul.
Speaker 5: Papps amongst the reasons.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's why. Yeah, I think that's why. But did they call you pep a little bit?
Speaker 5: I got a lot. Yeah, it didn't really bother me that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, is that sticking with you fifty years later?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm completely over. I'm over.
Speaker 2: I'm over.
Speaker 3: First day of kindergarten app ruined the whole life.
Speaker 5: I was a little guy too, I couldn't really defend myself.
Speaker 2: Kids can be so brutal. Oh my gosh, that mean worst they are, and they go they go right for the jugular. I mean they want it to hurt a little bit and they make fun of you. Eight seven to seven to three. DP Show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle ADP Show. Make sure you check out our YouTube channel also Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio. Thank you for all the great things that you do for us and Peacock, our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so. Stars Oilers Game four tonight Timberwolfs beat the MAVs. Is hope or false hope? MAVs go up three games to one. Caitlin Clark had thirty in a loss, and baseball has revamped its statistical history. And the man who's responsible for this he is the official historian of Major League Baseball, John Thorn, who joins us. John, explain what you've been doing and how long you've been doing it to get to this point today.
Speaker 6: Of course, Dan, first of all, to indicate that many have made light the work I am, by no means the most important person in this entire scenario. It's people like Larry Lester and Gary Ashwell and Kevin Johnson who have been the diggers who have been reading black newspapers on microfilm and microfiche for decades and now some of that has been digitized. But it is the research effort that we memorialized with the Committee to Review Negro League Statistics, whereby we set some policies for leaderboards, in particular single season leader boards and career leader boards that have upturned the baseball world.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have to have for something to be validated? You have to have a box score.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you have to have a score, because, as you know, baseball is a double entry account system, whereby every out made at the plate is reflected in.
Speaker 6: An out made in the field, either a pitcher catcher strikeout or a grounder to short that's an assist for the shortstop and a putout for the first basement. Absence that balance, and if we started to intrude anecdotal evidence into the database, the balance of MLB's history since eighteen seventy six would be destroyed.
Speaker 2: What has changed as far as individual as far as an individual like Josh Gibson or an individual category season, give us the statistical fallout from this.
Speaker 6: The leaderboards will have changed, and Josh Gibson is the single season leader in batting average and slugging and ops. But he's already been memorialized in bronze at the Baseball Hall of Fame, like many of his others. But there are twenty three hundred players, some of whom were in for a cup of coffee or an inconsequential season in a league that didn't last very long. And it's these players, these individuals whose families can now point to their name in the record book and say he was a major leaguer.
Speaker 2: How many home runs did Josh Gibson officially hit? Officially?
Speaker 6: I believe the number is one seventy four in league play. Is Hall of Fame plaque reads that he hit nearly eight hundred in some combination of league and independent ball. But independent ball is barnstorming ball, and you never know what the quality of the opposition was, whether it's semi pro, whether it's amateur. Because the Negro leagues, with their shortened seasons, their shortened league seasons, were compelled to play lots of games, more so than in order to keep the revenue stream flowing.
Speaker 2: Will there be asterisk in the record books.
Speaker 6: There will be no asterisks, just as the prospect of an asterisk go along aside. Roger Maris's sixty one homers way back when never was actualized. It is MLB policy that there is one continuous record from eighteen seventy six to the present day, and not a single statistic bears an asterisk or a footnote.
Speaker 2: And it's not just the Negro leagues. There are other leagues that are incorporated in this whole process.
Speaker 6: Sure, there are defunct major leagues, and many of our listeners will not have heard of the American Association as a ten year major eighteen eighty two to eighteen ninety one, or the Union Association of eighteen eighty four, or the Players League of a teen ninety or the Federal League of nineteen fourteen and fifteen. But these leagues were deemed to be major league caliber back in nineteen sixty nine, and all of those players' records are in the database.
Speaker 2: He is the official historian of Major League Baseball, John Thorne. That's a pretty good title there. Do you have a business card? I do have a business nice. I like that.
Speaker 6: I sometimes had it to my wife.
Speaker 2: What's the coolest thing in your library?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 6: The coolest thing might be the oil painting of Jim Boughten my pal okay, the Knickerbocker Pennant, which was the first flag flown over the Knickerbocker Baseball Club clubhouse in eighteen fifty five.
Speaker 2: You remember when Ball four came out with Jim Boughten. If that came out now, that would be like nobody would even think twice. But back then in nineteen seventy, it's like, oh my gosh, here's an athlete who is spilling on his teammates and what it's like on the road.
Speaker 6: And it was an athlete's own voice. It was not a ghost written job as so many of the player autobiographies or the Christy Matthewson books, the King Kelly books, the cap ans and books, they were all ghosted.
Speaker 2: It's great to talk to you, John, congratulations on the process and everybody else in Uh in this Uh did Babe did did Babe Ruth actually call his shot in the World Series? No?
Speaker 6: There is some eight millimeter footage of the Babe and point. He's pointing to the Cubs clubhouse where he was being razzed. And if you view this footage from the wrong perspective, you think he's pointing to center field, but he wasn't. It was a joke for Ruth too.
Speaker 2: He kind of ruined that story there, John, thanks for joining us, and again, congratulations to everybody involved in this. My pleasure, Dan, that's John Thorne, the official historian of Major League Baseball. It's a big title there. Now, I'm wondering, let's say we looked at other sports there, ABA NBA combine that? Right? Can you look at Canadian Football League and factor that in with the Pro Football Hall of Fame NFL numbers? How about USFL with herschel Walker's numbers?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 2: Does do those sports get around to doing that? The ABA? I certainly understand because of the teams they absorbed and the great players that were there. How many points does doctor J have? Marvin? Do we know if PAULI, do you have that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I got doctor J.
Speaker 10: Julius Irving having almost twelve thousand points just in the ABA. And if you look at a thing called Basketball Reference, which is basically the Bible of basketball stats, they split it into and NBA stats. But then they have ABA NBA combined, so you can look at all those stats.
Speaker 2: But does the Basketball Hall of Fame? Do they recognize these stats so they are combined?
Speaker 10: I got to check that, but I believe they recognize combined staffs. Lebron James is the all time leading scorer.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how many points does Doctor j officially have? ABA and NBA checking, because that's what I was curious about, and I should know that. I thought they factored both of those in or eventually got around to that.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, he's got thirty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Points, but he doesn't get credit for thirty thousand. Do right when Lebron was going for the You know, we talked about Karl Malone his record, Kareem's record, but I didn't hear Lebron with Doctor Jay's record getting past thirty thousand points. At least I don't remember that, do you.
Speaker 10: We're checking on that one. It's unclear how they look at it the league itself.
Speaker 2: And I know they had a three point shot with the ABA, but you had so much talent you absorbed some of those teams that you should look at those numbers and combine those numbers, just like what we're having with Major League Baseball.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See basketball reference. By the way, the original reference point for career salary game. Oh spent an incredible amount of time on that back at the Mothership looking at.
Speaker 2: Kevin Gartnett to be two hundred and fifty million dollars. Do you believe this?
Speaker 3: That didn't we just go through this with Caitlyn Clark and Lynette Woodard. Yes, where there were there were Well she's passing, Caitlyn's passing Pete Marivitch, but there's somebody that still has more.
Speaker 2: And I said, Lynette Woodard played, you know, at what Kansas and she played for the Harlem Globetrotters. It wasn't called the you know, women's basketball, wasn't the NCAA. And I said, that's that's nonsense. That Caitlyn had to surpass Lynette Woodard and then they finally recognized her, and rightfully, so you know, she was still going against collegiate talent. They just didn't recognize it. She DOUBLEA didn't. But ABA, NBA are those numbers combined, PAULI?
Speaker 5: They it appears that they're not.
Speaker 10: I'm on the NBA's website, the official NBA website, and it does not include doctor J's points in the ABA.
Speaker 2: See that's wrong.
Speaker 5: Get to go at it.
Speaker 2: I I'm trying to.
Speaker 5: I like when you're upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but look I got to watch some ABA games and the talent level was awesome. The game was. The ABA was like the AFL. It was fun. The NFL was boring, you know, it was like three yards in a cloud of dust. The NBA, while it did have some good players, it wasn't as exciting as the ABA. ABA was wide open, shooting the three, the red, White, Blue pall. It was great, great teams, a lot of talent. They should count that. It's kind of a shame that they don't. Now, I understand the CFL because you know different rules and how you play in the CFL with three downs, four downs, you know the amount of passing yards that you're going to have in the CFL. But Warren Moon's numbers in the CFL or Doug Flutie's numbers in the CFL, can you incorporate that, Jim Kelly's numbers in the USFL, Herschel's numbers in the USFL. Can you put it all under one umbrella? It was professional football and these players did go on to have great careers in the NFL. You know Anthony Carter when he played, I mean he had a lot of guys that played in the USFL. Steve Young, Can you put it under the all under one umbrella? There I don't know if I don't know if pro football would do that, but it is. It's called the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's not called the NFL Hall of Fame. It's like it's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: Yes, Mark, Yeah, I wonder what Reggie White's stats look like combining his USFL stats along with his NFL stats, because wasn't he Obviously he was dominate, in dominant everywhere.
Speaker 2: Paulie and I were talking about the Super Bowl when he played for the Packers, when Desmond Howard won the MVP, and he's he was in the backfield the entire game, if you want to pick now, I know Desmond had a couple of if he had a kickoff return, he had a punt return that set up I think a score. Reggie White was unbelievable. He had this one move that Bowl rush and he would just you know, it was a hump a club and he would just throw these you know, three hundred pound linemen out of the way. He dominated. He truly dominated that game. Should have been MVP. He set the tone.
Speaker 12: Yes, Mark, Reggie White has the most impressive like play I've ever seen when he tosses Larry Allen. Everyone YouTube, google it, go on your Twitter machine and look up Reggie tossing the strongest man in the NFL, Larry Allen.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, a guy who players would get the Larry Allen flu because they didn't want to face him. The Dallas Cowboy tackle and Reggie White. He might have been underrated. He might have been underrated, if that's possible. Yeah, pung Reggie right.
Speaker 10: White was first team All Pro at twenty five and at age thirty seven, and a bunch of times in between. He had one hundred and ninety eight career sex secks. If you throw in his twenty six and a half, you're at two twenty four and a half. He'd be like Reggie White.
Speaker 2: But he was so much more than just that. Because it's like me and Joe Green. They they demanded double team and really you had to know where they were on the field. Those are two of the most dominant players that I ever Now. I saw Lawrence Taylor obviously, but Reggie and me and Joe Green, they were just different. There was and you know, Reggie was such a peaceful guy, but he didn't play that way. Me and Joe green, peaceful guy. He didn't play that way. Lawrence Taylor was kind of Lawrence Taylor on the field and off the field. He kind of he had a different speed limit than everybody else there. But God, Reggie White, damn unbelievable.
Speaker 12: Yes, you're right, because I think we automatically say Lawrence Taylor when you say the greatest defensive player ever, Reggie White should probably be in that. And I saw, like the end maybe the Packers Reggi White, and I didn't know about how dominant he was in Philadelphia. And then what free agency stir he calls when he became a free.
Speaker 2: Agent when he went to Green Bay said, God told him to go to Green Bay. Good choice? Is that where you go? Can I get a second opinion?
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 2: I mean it's cold there. But he had played in Philadelphia. But when he went to Green Bay that kind of changed free agency. At least that's what I remember. It's like, Wow, you know you're gonna go where you want to go. What's best for you? And it was best for Reggie White.
Speaker 10: Yeah, PAULI, We're watching Reggie White clips and there's a play where Chris Carter tries to block him. He gets in some type of position where he has to block Reggie White. It looks like you ever play sports with your nephews and the big uncle throws some people around the yard. Yeah, poor Chris Carter, who's seems like a pretty strong dude, is getting manhandled.
Speaker 3: And that's being just short of putting him over his shoulder like that kind of thing thrown in a pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's where you go. If you're Reggie White, you go, Chris. You don't want to do this, Chris, you don't want to let him go. Yeah, you don't want to do this. All right, let me take a break. So the the official stats, they gonna try to combine all of those and Josh Gibson will be the big winner here. And Josh he died. I think he had either brain humor stroke when he was around thirty five or thirty six. But he was considered on par with any catcher I ever played the game, if not better than any catcher in the history of the game. And also, you know, when you think about breaking the color barrier, Satchel Paige was too old. You want that player who's leaving the negro leagues to succeed, so then you have more players to follow, and so you're picking somebody talent, age and also temperament, because Jackie Robinson had all of those. Josh Gibson had the talent, didn't have the temperament, and Satchel Page was too old at the time. And Jackie put up obviously with a lot, had to have the correct temperament to just be able to kind of compartmentalize what was going on, even when his teammates didn't even like him. So I wish Buck O'Neill were alive today. Buck O'Neill one of my favorite people I ever interviewed, and he spoke on behalf of so many of these players from the Negro leagues that we didn't get to see, and he's the one that got some of these players into the Baseball Hall of Fame. He has to be smiling today, is he in the whole thing? I think he finally got in for contributions, okay, and I worked hard with that. There's no credit for me. I don't want that, I'm saying. I remember telling the commissioner that this has to pitch an injustice with contributions to the game. His contribution is being that scrapbook to tell everybody about these players that he played with and against in the Negro leagues and that they got into the Hall of Fame. And I, you know, I'm glad that that happened forok a while, but what a wonderful man.
Speaker 1: Take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live to.
Speaker 10: NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Grape five.
Speaker 13: All happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with me Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering. Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 10: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 13: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: We'll get some more phone calls coming up. Gonna change our poll question today, Robin Orlando, Hey, Rob, welcome back. What do you have for me?
Speaker 3: Buddy?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 11: Good morning man? First all, thank you for yesterday man, great job. As always, the retrospective on Bill Walton was fantastic up fairly and George your interviews with him over the years. Also, I hate to be the show sniper, but if every day is a super Bowl, that should go for us callers too. And your call our last hour man with the Tyler Woods thing has me just scratching my head, man and rethinking and rethinking my sports you know, Mault Rushmore, Boston abilities.
Speaker 9: I mean, here's here's.
Speaker 11: What I've got though, I've got Brian Ruth, I've got Jimmy Brady, and I've got my thighs Jordan to add with Tyler Woods man.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rob. Yeah, we had a caller who forgot Tiger's first name called him Tyler Woods. I think he might have got confused because Tyler the operator, and then maybe maybe he made a mistake and called him Tyler Woods the great golfer.
Speaker 5: Yes, I have a buddy, you guys have met.
Speaker 10: His name's Craig and he knows zero about sports, not interested, not his thing. He will know who Tiger Woods is or Lebron James. Like if you said there's a guy named Kevin Durant.
Speaker 5: He beg no idea, never heard of him.
Speaker 10: Like he's that level of ignorant, but not Tiger Woods.
Speaker 2: Luke and Charlotte. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Uh? Hey Luke, Hey Dan?
Speaker 2: Hey, how you doing great?
Speaker 14: I wanted to do a whose career? Would you have? Wanted to give you guys the stats blind, and then I'll stick around and tell you.
Speaker 8: Who you pick.
Speaker 2: All right? We got two quarterbacks.
Speaker 14: Quarterback A sixty four thousand yards, four hundred and eighteen touchdowns, two hundred and eleven picks, two Super Bowls, three appearances, one sixty six eighty two and one, and career earnings of two sixty seven. Quarterback B is fifty nine thousand yards, four seventy five touchdowns, one hundred and five interceptions, one super Bowl, one appearance, career earnings of three seventy eight million.
Speaker 10: Okay, Paulie, The second guy I think is Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: I think, Luke. Is that right?
Speaker 14: Everyone's got a guess?
Speaker 2: Oh well, PAULI just guessed for us, all right?
Speaker 14: Yeah, the second guy is Roger Polly damn, thanks Polly. Second guy there Aaron Rodgers. First guy is Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 2: Okay, So would I rather have Ben's numbers or Aaron Rodgers numbers? Is that what you're saying, Luke, I was what.
Speaker 15: I was saying.
Speaker 14: I guess I thought you guys were going to guess blindly and then i'd shock you.
Speaker 2: You know, thank you, thank you, Luke. See, this show is not scripted. That's why we didn't follow the script. Yes, Paul, I see what he's saying.
Speaker 10: People think Aaron Rodgers is better at the quarterback position, but Ben Roethlisberger had more success at.
Speaker 5: Two Superowl wins.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you'd prefer Roethlisberger's career, but some I think a lot of people think Rogers is better at the sport.
Speaker 3: I might take Aaron Rodgers' career. Most talented, Yes, quarterback.
Speaker 2: MVPs, Yes, more more money, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I think Ben's okay. You're going to do okay.
Speaker 8: Oh, I don't know. I know he's doing okay.
Speaker 2: I'll think more new pole question Paulin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got one answer here. Lebron James is most involved in dot dot mmm, getting JJ Reddick to be the Lakers head coach, getting a Sun drafted. We could put in his own career, but I would imagine he's got a pretty good hand in that.
Speaker 2: What if we just kept it to those two. Okay, so he's more involved in JJ Reddick or his son going to the Lakers. Yes, okay, I would say JJ Reddick. Even though Brian Windhorse keeps saying that Lebron's not involved with any of these coaching hires, but it always seems like he's involved when the coaches get fired.
Speaker 3: Because so that's what we say as the media, what you brought him in, Now you want him fired?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, let's say he's not involved, but then he is involved because if he said, hey, I want Darvin Ham to stay, what's management going, Hey, you want me to stay? I want him to stick? Like, it still feels like he has some kind of impact here. You have to This is a guy who has the most curated career in basketball history, and all of a sudden he's going to play two more years and then he doesn't care who's coaching him. I just find that hard to believe. So, JJ, yeah, I think he would be involved in that. I don't know how you if you show up and you do your podcast, what happens when JJ goes, Hey, any news on the coaching higher? Oh, I'm not involved in that, JJ. I can't imagine that yeah. See.
Speaker 3: It does seem weird to me though, that, like, if Lebron is involved in all these coaching searches, he's like, all right, you guys want me in La, no problem, I'll go there, but get me Frank Vogel. I just Frank Voge. I just can't imagine that. He's like, all right, I'll sign twenty eighteen. All right, I'll sign, but within one year I need Frank Vogel here.
Speaker 2: They might say, here are candidates. I don't know. It's it's either hey, if you don't bring him in, then I don't want to go. I'm not signing.
Speaker 5: That'll say.
Speaker 2: How many players have said that before.
Speaker 3: I just can't imagine that's those words came out of his mouth.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin and the.
Speaker 12: One guy that he did want he won a championship with, and the Lakers are like, no, no, no, that's quite all right, No, thank you will take that.
Speaker 2: That's where Lebron should have said, I'm going to pay the rest of Tylo's salary. We're getting Tylu in here. When they you know, the Clippers paid more for him. Then Lebron could have been involved, truly involved in the coaching higher ty I'm going to give you four million dollars of my own money for you to coach me. Let me see Mark in South Bend High Mark, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey Dan?
Speaker 15: How you doing? I think that's great news that they're gonna meil the old National Negro League records with the major league records and all the professional baseball records. There was one gentleman who was a Uucorn in his day who was a great hitter and great pitcher. His name was Rober Bullet Joe Rogan, and he played from nineteen twenty to nineteen thirty one. He had a career record of one hundred and ten wins and about fifty four losses ERA in the mid twies and hitting he.
Speaker 9: Was a career hitter.
Speaker 15: When he wasn't pitching, he could play all three outfield positions, first and second career Major National Midlea League batting average up three thirty six, and his OPS was in the low nine hundreds right around with Joey Baudel's career OPS is right now.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you Mark for a shout out to Wilber Bullet Joe Rogan. I love his podcast, Yes, poll.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just looked him up. I hadn't heard about him. Bullet Rogan, he was one twenty and fifty two. Is a career as a pitcher, leading the league in complete games four different times. Played for the Kansas City Monarchs. Okay in the knee release and then as a hitter.
Speaker 5: I have him them.
Speaker 10: Uh career three thirty eight average and uh about fifty home.
Speaker 12: Runs, PAULI do looking on this tomorrow me and seeing we're talking about this earlier. The uniforms for the Negro leagues, amazing, great names.
Speaker 8: All of that.
Speaker 2: Why don't you do a look in on it? Oh?
Speaker 8: Maybe I should? Yeah, yeah, negro oh leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, Paul did.
Speaker 10: Birmingham Black bearons. Their hats had triple B on them. They got quite popular, like in the two thousands. They were very cool. You can get them on different websits.
Speaker 3: Yes, like the Grays, the Monarch Yeah yeah. Crawfords, Yeah. Were they the crawd Edge Crawford Pittsburgh. I think it was Crawfish Crawford, Crawford's Crawfords, Yeah, crawf Ford.
Speaker 12: Like the Homestead Grades. They weren't like the Pittsburgh Grays. I don't know what that meant.
Speaker 2: But uh, Christian Maryland, Hi, Chris, what's on your mind? Come on, thank Chris.
Speaker 16: Okay, I'm calling in to make a bet for football. I'm ready now if.
Speaker 2: You all are interested, Okay, here we go, Okay, so here we go.
Speaker 16: I'm willing to bet that our Chargers are going to finish either five or six in the playoff race. If I am right, my request would be a signed photocopy of the Simpsons poster for my man cave. If I am wrong, meaning they finish one through four, seven or they're out, I will send you all seventy five bucks for the meat for meat Friday.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, we're taking this. A photocopy doesn't cost us anything free meat, all right?
Speaker 2: So they have to finish fifth or sixth? Is that what you're saying, Chris?
Speaker 16: Yeah, fifth or six. I have faith that they will finish fifth or six. I don't think they're going to win the division, and I just feel like they're going to make it higher than the seven seed. So they got to finish five or six. If it's anything else.
Speaker 4: I lose allay.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Chris, PAULI you'll take you up on that. The photocopy of the Simpsons.
Speaker 5: Not the original a photocopy.
Speaker 2: So what's over?
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as it's Yeah, if it's only cost seventy five dollars, I'll I'll give you eighty.
Speaker 2: H Nicholas in Washington, Hey, Nick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: Hey, how's a going down fan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 17: So I've got a little quall with this carrying the stats over things. So now you're telling me if I went to the USFL and killed it and then I went to the NFL and did mediocre, you're going to carry over all my touchdowns over the NFL because you're playing a different caliber player. So I don't really in my opinion that shouldn't you should have a math pick next to your name then.
Speaker 2: So you're not in favor of baseball doing this, not.
Speaker 17: I mean ultimately not really because what's next. You know, they're going to put the NFL up for it and people are going to be in different leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't allow these players to play in Major League Baseball, and by all accounts, a lot of the players they were playing with were Hall of Fame worthy, were star quality, and when they did have barnstorming teams, they did play against all White teams, Satchel Page and Josh Gibson. Uh, you know they had they had a lot of success when they played against these teams, but they didn't get an opportunity to play in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 17: And that's probably true, but ultimately it's the MLB. So that's the Krendela cram. So, but you're going to put their stats up to, you know, next to everybody who was already in there and add on to it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what they decided to do. Major League Baseball has decided to do that, And I have no problem.
Speaker 9: So the A B A.
Speaker 2: If you watch the ABA and you understand the talent that was in the ABA, they had a rival league with a lot of talent, and they did absorb some of those teams into the NBA. I have no problem if you want to combine those stats in the ABA with what you did in the NBA. It's called the Basketball Hall of Fame. It's not called the NBA Hall of Fame. It's called the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's not called the NFL Hall of Fame. And if you want to combine stats with what somebody did, like what what stats really do you care about? Anymore, give me something where you go, boy, I hope that's never broken. Is there a stat that you're really holding onto or you're concerned or maybe threatened? I mean, Hank Aaron, once his was broken, I was done. I didn't care if they were letting these guys take performance in dancing drugs and they were going to you know, blow past Hank Aaron, I didn't care. You're done. I didn't it. And it used to be. You know that we knew Ty Cobb.
Speaker 9: You know, four.
Speaker 2: Ninety one hits or was it four thousand and one or ninety two?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, go through all these single season numbers, a fifty six game hitting streak, I mean, all of these numbers with we hold onto baseball numbers, football numbers. Nobody cares about basketball, all right, you want to do the all time scoring leader, But after that, like what numbers are you really you know, holding on too obsessed with? Just tell the history of sports, all right. I mean, guys in the ABA couldn't play in the NBA, didn't get a chance to playing in the NBA, would have loved to have played. They absorbed some of the teams, put four teams into the NBA. So they did value they took the three point shot. They did value what they were doing there. I don't have any problem with that. Now the CFLs different because it's just different rules. So if you want to say, Warren Moon, who won what six great Cups? Okay, you put it on his plaque he did play football, they wouldn't. They wouldn't have a black quarterback in the NFL. He didn't get drafted. So I don't get caught up in the numbers the way I used to. Yeah, Paul, you know who.
Speaker 10: Had benefit the most that the NBA took all leagues around the world and incorporated into basketball stats Stefan Marbury or Jim or Ferdett match if the Chinese league stats converted.
Speaker 2: That might be stretching in a little bit, just a little bit there. I might be able to get a bucket or two in the Chinese league. Yes, Mark did Warmon go to Washington. Yeah, he was the Rose Bowl MVP.
Speaker 8: And they said we're not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you go to camp because and he wasn't a running quarterback, he was a passing quarterback. Yeah. Wild all right, Let take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learned watch in store tomorrow. We'll try to do that right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls what we learned store tomorrow as we bring you perspective Wednesday. It's Wisdom Wednesday here where we just kind of slow the paste down a little bit. Let the sports world breathe don't need to have a hot tape.
Speaker 5: Relax.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's okay, let it play out. Caitlin Clark may turn out to be pretty good in the w n b A. Give her a little bit of time.
Speaker 8: When do you some.
Speaker 12: Some light music underneath Wisdom Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Luke warm takes.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Reggie and Mississippi joins us on the program. Good morning, Reggie, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Kay?
Speaker 8: Listen?
Speaker 9: Uh? Chris Haynes hairline, Oh my gosh, I'd give a I'll give my left foot for that haircut. But the Major League historian, I was really moved by that, and that makes me feel really good. Real quick. Bail who grew up not far from where I where I live. Uh, I heard stories. He was so fast he would slip the switch and be under the covers in the bed before the room got dark.
Speaker 2: All right, Reggie, thank you. Yeah, i'd heard that as well. That's how fast he was. Uh, Jeff, Yeah.
Speaker 10: That's from a Billy Crystal bit when Billy Crystal was on SNL. Him and I think his name's Christopher Guest. Yes, they used to do this bit where they were gold Negro League ballplayer players and they would tell stories about old players and they would constantly one up each other, like he goes he was so fast. He had a line drive and got hit in the head with the ball going to the second base.
Speaker 2: Christopher Guest, who did best in show? He waiting for Guffman and he's married to Uh Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 5: Whoa you bear to leave?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christopher Guests. Jeff in South Carolina? Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind?
Speaker 18: Hey bug? Listening forever five to nine? Kind of form two hundred throw back in the day forty inch waist if you remember those days. I got to see Satul Page pitch around nineteen Thank you sixty one. My grandma took me to the old Cleveland in the game and he screw seven in the stretched and even as a young boy, I could see that ball fights for herew some pitches that he had bad as the first one of those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sachel pitched into his fifties.
Speaker 8: I believe.
Speaker 2: Uh, thank you, Jeff, Tim, and Iowa, Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 2: D be gammy there, bud yep, I got you.
Speaker 9: Hey, I heard you were.
Speaker 4: Talking auctioneer stuff earlier. I didn't know if you guys wanted me to give you a little spiel. Fritzy had something he wanted me to auction off for him. I am a certified auctioneer, so if you want to give it to me, we can start it out.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: I was curious about if you were an auctioneer, would you be a good play by play guy in hockey and vice versa, because you have to be pretty rapid with your words there. Uh, what if I started the bid at twenty dollars to take over as my main booker for Fritzy.
Speaker 4: That'll be fine, hoping he it will be twenty dollars, he'd been twenty five, five, five, thirty nine, it'd been thirty dollars. Nine have been thirty five and then want back into thirty dollars. We're gonna sell it thirty dollars. Then we wanted back on thirty year five bid money in a twenty five.
Speaker 2: You're gonna sell it a thousand five dollars, A thousand dollars, A thousand dollars gotta be one thousand dollars.
Speaker 9: From the big man in the back row. It's gonna take over for Fritzley. What do you say? Thousand dollars? Sold it right there? Had a boy?
Speaker 2: Uh, how do you become an auctioneer?
Speaker 9: Well, the ain't true story.
Speaker 4: When I was a kid playing baseball, I was a big chatter, you know, the Paris Muller, a better swing batter. Yeah, self taught, went went to Continental Auctioneer School Mason City, Iowa. And and a little fun fact where I'm actually doing a play by play for our local ballad network tonight for our baseball game.
Speaker 2: That's so you went to college to be an auctioneer.
Speaker 4: I went to college to be a school teacher and a coach. And then later on in life, I got into selling construction equipment, and uh started doing some charity auctions for fun and went and just got the certification. So I do auctions for make a wish, do some uh done one for you and I have you and I Panthers the Missouri Valley fans. Done some for those guys and some other foundations just around the area. So yeah, kind of self taught, but got the piece of paper that says I kind of know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Tim, Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 10: Yes, confirmed Continental Auctioneer School, Buffalo Center, Iowa, right off Highway nine.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 10: Oh, they do not have a football team anymore, but uh there, I'm still in business.
Speaker 2: You should send one of us there they five two hundred. I'm gonna get down. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See that's the thing is the part in the middle where it's like it's not the like, hey we got five, we got five, we got it's a good.
Speaker 2: They do that little like what is that word, PAULI give me this day in sports history.
Speaker 5: A little auction are score.
Speaker 10: Let's see nineteen twenty two, the New York Giants won their seventeenth consecutive road game. The first running the Indy five hundred was run in nineteen eleven. AJ fort and seventy seven one is fourth Indy five hundred and oh here's old school baseball nineteen ninety Rickey Henderson stole base number eight ninety three, breaking Ty Cobbs record.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of my there's a couple of my favorites here. Nineteen seventy six. This pitcher hit the only home run of his twenty two year career, and he hit it off his brother. Joe Nicro hit his only home run off his brother Phil Nicro. How crazy is that? Also, Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay became the first people to climb this to the summit of Mount Evers. First of all, it should be the Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary. He carried all the equipment. Yeah, how does the sherpa get short changed?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 2: Always Sir Sir Edmund Hillary and the other guy?
Speaker 5: Can you take the shirp off his back for you too?
Speaker 8: Give him some credit?
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Tom quiet day for you today? Yeah, Kirk, what it's all right, we'll get him tomorrow. What'd you learn today?
Speaker 12: Ton Michael Jordan didn't win anything until like age twenty seven, so let's be fair at twenty two year.
Speaker 2: Old Anthony Edwards with the expectations in comparison Seaton O'Connor.
Speaker 3: You go to school to be an auctioneer, you can.
Speaker 8: Marvin john Thorne has a business card.
Speaker 2: Paul Chris Hanes is forty two Hottest Rookie's Biggest Superstars. The Old Time Rate's the only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts and more. Start a continue collection now at Paniniamerica dot net. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support for this program and giving us the opportunity to try to entertain you Monday through Friday. For the entire crew, including Fritzie, Seaton, Marv, Paulie, the backroom guys and yours, truly have a great day, everybody. We look forward to talk to you tomorrow.