Speaker 1: It's nine Gen one Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you guys remember that episode when Kelly went to see how do all of her best friends go to the Dave Cause concert.
Speaker 3: For your twenty first birthday?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: Guess what I'm about to blow your mind cause he's on the pod today.
Speaker 3: O me, you guys, let's cause some trouble right now.
Speaker 4: Oh that was a good one, cause a commotion.
Speaker 2: I just love him, love them.
Speaker 3: It's the name that never stops giving pause and effect. I hope he utilized that. Back then, they didn't even do puns.
Speaker 2: Oh no, if you don't know, Dave Cause is a platinum selling artist, saxophonist, composer, producer, and radio personality. Not to mention, he is Santa Claus iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Hello everybody, Hey, look who.
Speaker 2: It is Dave Cause.
Speaker 1: You guys, there has not been many there's not been quite as many guest stars from nine to two to zero that had us talking as much as you Dave calls.
Speaker 2: We were all stumped. We were all stumped. Why Kelly Hatter birthday party at the Hollywood Bust for twenty thirty.
Speaker 5: First, well, first of all, this is very surreal for me. I'm just looking at you. Two have not changed it all, by the way, you look the same.
Speaker 3: Do you do too?
Speaker 5: Oh? I feel old, old, old, especially because yesterday I watched that episode. Oh. I found it online because I was it's been like thirty years or something like that, and I watched it and I was I was pleasantly surprised. First of all, you guys looked amazing, And I had that same question that you had Jenny, like why would you Why would anybody who was turning twenty one to a Dave Cause concert?
Speaker 2: It just didn't match up for us at that moment. Strange, not that we didn't have fun buddies with somebody.
Speaker 4: How did it all happen?
Speaker 2: Yes? How did we come to get you on our show?
Speaker 5: I was hoping that you would remember.
Speaker 1: Was shot at the Greek Like I think you were having a real concert that they shot during a real Oh.
Speaker 4: I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Was the Greek because remember David Silver is working at the Greek Theater. Maybe we were getting maybe I just said we, like I was on on atop Maybe you all got some money from the Greek.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that that's all very nice to think about. I used to play the Greek theater. But I don't think that it was actually a show that we had planned. I think that it was all for television, and I'm not exactly sure how I got on that show, but there was a string of shows that for some reason I got on. I was also on Melrose Place General Hospitals all during this time when there was a lot of activity, television activity for a saxophone player, and it's very strange. I'm mortified by what I was wearing.
Speaker 2: By the way we all are, It's okay, not what you were wearing, what we were wearing. We were all more fun about what you were wearing today, But I was.
Speaker 5: Really It just was another slice of time that I hadn't visited in a very long time, and so it was really interesting to watch again. I want to also say thank you for having me on your show. Your show is incredibly popular all over the world because I know that you were talking about me because I heard from someone who's a sister of a guy that I work with who lives in Sydney, Australia, who called him and said, uh, they're talking about Dave cause on this on this podcast now two one O podcast, and I was like, what, why would they be talking about me? So I was very impressed. And now here we all are, so here we are.
Speaker 2: We had you yeah, yeah, every single I mean, why wouldn't we talk about you?
Speaker 5: You have? You have?
Speaker 2: You had such a fantastic career. I mean you have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And you're just like, I don't know, you had an amazing career, not had, but you still have.
Speaker 5: He's gonna say, is it over? You know, did you.
Speaker 2: Ever think that you would be getting? Yeah, the Presidential Achievement Award by President from President Biden.
Speaker 5: All of this is, including being on your show, It's all a bit of a magic carpet ride, a dream that I never even thought possible. I was just a geeky band kid growing up in Tarzana, California, playing the soathophone, driving on my bike to seven o'clock in the morning jazz rehearsal before school started, with the saxophone strap to a basket on my boat. Was as geeky and still am actually as they come. And so all of this is just a big dream come true. And I still pinched myself all these years later.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, so do you remember when we were on the show and you met us? Did you did you meet all of the cast and were we nice to you?
Speaker 4: That question?
Speaker 5: I remember, Well. It was David, who, I guess under these circumstances, was working at the Greek, and I knew that this was a television role of working at the Greek, because what he was doing in the show is things that someone who was actually working there would never do. It was but everybody was, as I recall, everybody was super super nice. There was a long day of filming there, and obviously.
Speaker 1: You guys, sir, I'm still like tripping out that it wasn't a real or what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe that either.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry if you want to put something under the banner of not actually being you know, or fake news, if you will. I was playing this is technical, this is sax tech talk. The alto saxophone on the on the stage saxophone on the record is a soprano saxophone. Why why, I'm not even sure. I was wondering why I didn't use the soprano for that. It was strange. I'm not sure. Maybe one of the director of producer said the soprano was too small looking and didn't look enough like a saxophone or something.
Speaker 4: Iconic song forgive me that.
Speaker 1: I don't know the title of that, like iconic song that you perform, which is probably why we all had to watch it. It wasn't it's not on streaming, right, Is that because of the music we had to watch it like on our phones or whatever on a DVD.
Speaker 5: Maybe, Well, this a song. The song is called You Make Me Smilele and it was from an album mine called Lucky Man that came out in nineteen ninety three, and I think this episode was nineteen ninety five, and it had already become kind of a hit song. I wrote my brother, my older brother, Jeff, And so I'm not sure how we managed to finagle. Somebody must have been paying off somebody to get me on that show because it was ridiculously popular at the time, and it sort of catapulted the song into another direction because it was such a pop culture phenom and getting a chance to be seen in the same perimeter as you guys kind of hipping me up a little bit. So I'm very grateful. I think it was the song that was being promoted heavily at the time, so it was probably what the record company. I was signed to Capitol Records for twenty years and at the top label, so I'm sure they had something to do with it. They wanted to promote the song that was well.
Speaker 1: Oh and did I think i'd I met your brother at John and Vinnie's in Brentwood.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling that right now, but I really think that that happened.
Speaker 4: I also have to read you, guys this description of the show.
Speaker 1: Everyone wants it, Uh Okay, Dylan takes a big step forward in his campaign to take down Tony Marchett while everyone else worries about making sure Kelly has the Dave Cauziest birthday.
Speaker 4: But anyone ever.
Speaker 2: Had, Oh wow, that's you've reached success to have us want to have a Dave Cauzias birthday.
Speaker 5: Even I don't.
Speaker 1: Do people remember that you were on Do you ever like, like, is that the last thing you hear?
Speaker 4: Do Sometimes people say, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I do hear it from time to time. I also hear because at the very beginning of my career, somehow I got on the Steve Erkele show. I can't remember what the name of.
Speaker 3: That family, right.
Speaker 5: And also during one of my concerts that Erkele comes to and brings his girlfriend and stops the concert in the middle of it, and I go up there and and kind of talk to him up in the balcony.
Speaker 2: Does he say, did I do that?
Speaker 5: Something along those lines? Yeah, but that was kind of maybe a couple of years before this. And so I do hear about the family matters thing, and I hear about nine two and oh, you've got lots of huge fans. You know, it's an amazing thing that you have this podcast for Bug Again, I wanted to say, I'm very flattered and honored to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: So happy to have you have no idea, I'm so happy when you said yes, I was like, Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: But you know, Amy, this is a how old is this show? Thirty plus years old? That ill people are taught talking about it? Still, it's such a part, especially if you're of a certain age like me, it's so much part of your of your life. You know, you look back on those I mean, I had that hairstyle with the longside burns that Dylan and Brandon had and I'm sure that the two of you set off so many You both look so beautiful, the makeup, the hair, You guys age better When looking back at that episode, the women look timeless, the guys not so much.
Speaker 1: They ruined my eyebrows, Dave, because of literally because of Jenny and Tory, Kelly and Donnad.
Speaker 3: We mean, give us a minute to bask. And what Dave Toss just said to us.
Speaker 4: Okay, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy it, enjoy.
Speaker 3: Thank you. He just called us timeless.
Speaker 2: That means a lot coming from you. I mean, you, guys, is an epic career and you're still going strong. What tell you're playing, Dave, cos does Disney now, which has got to be so fulfilling.
Speaker 5: That's true. Yeah, that's a very sweet thing for you to say. I love. I grew up on Disney music, so I knew that there was going to be a time that I did a project. And it's just an ep it's like four songs, but I got a chance to take my saxophone to some of those timeless melodies, like when you Wish upon a Star. There's a great song that lin Manuel Miranda wrote from incanto called dos orra Gita's that we did, and then I did a remake of the Christina Aguilera song from Ulan and yeah, things are going well. I just in the process of making a new album with a jazz legend by the name of Bob James, who's older than me.
Speaker 4: He looks he's the phone.
Speaker 5: He's older than Biden.
Speaker 4: Wow. Oh no, is yours?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Do you pick it up for fun? Or does it feel like work? Like is it you know?
Speaker 1: We read all about like we've got to have hobbies and things we love, and music and art should should be those passions for us. So because it's also your work, or would you go like in your studio or and just play for fun or sit outside on the patio. By the way, your home is gorgeous, like it's amazing.
Speaker 5: This is a place called a little hideaway house in Saucelito, California. I'm at Maraga.
Speaker 4: Do you know Maraga?
Speaker 5: I do know Maraga.
Speaker 4: I'm We're like so close.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, beautiful look at that for you?
Speaker 3: That was so like gorgeous beautiful that I thought it was a visual like a green screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you just look out that window and the ocean is right there.
Speaker 4: The bay.
Speaker 5: That's the bay. That's the bay. I do look out, and I find myself looking out.
Speaker 2: This is Amy just wants to know if you sit on the patio there and noodle around on your sex.
Speaker 5: I do. There's there isn't really a patio to go out on. And plus I don't want to disturb the neighbors. I don't want to be evicted here. I don't play. Uh.
Speaker 3: I like to have the on the toilet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would mind hearing Dave pause perform next.
Speaker 3: Imagine, trust me.
Speaker 5: I like that. But I do. To answer your question, Amy, I do absolutely. I do play for fun. I do in my best moments. Uh, that's what I love to do, and just sit and write music or come up with melodies and just play for play with myself if you will. And then hopefully did.
Speaker 2: I just say that, yes you did Dave Cousey's birthday? Ever do coach da?
Speaker 3: I feel like you cook? Cook what I have that one right?
Speaker 5: I do make a good breakfast though, I can make. That's my one meal where I can I can do well. I did. I made myself some scrambled eggs today. They were very very good.
Speaker 3: Nice nice. Can we talk cruising now?
Speaker 2: Of course, who would not want to do this? Dave Cause and friends on the Dave caseyist see cruise ever.
Speaker 5: Come celebrate your birthday and the most Dave.
Speaker 3: Is that an invitation?
Speaker 4: Wait? Come on, oh my gods birthday together this year?
Speaker 3: Can we we could see until twenty it's sold out.
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's no room for us on the boat, the cruise cruise.
Speaker 3: We do want to go on a cruise.
Speaker 5: You should come with us. We could do this podcast on the boat. Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you enjoy your time on the cruise when you're the main attraction of the cruise is my question?
Speaker 5: Well, just imagine it is as a floating jazz festival that doesn't have just jazz. There's a lot of R and B. There's pop music, there's dance music. There's all kinds of different things that you can find. We put together around usually somewhere between one hundred and fifty and two hundred people between the artists and crew. We've been doing it for almost twenty years, and the next we just finished the one that was in Greece, went to the Greek Islands and also a little bit of Italy and Malta and the ship is about two thousand passengers and we do it twice for two different groups of guests. So this last May we had about four thousand, mostly Americans who come and they're united by their shared love of music. That's why everybody is there. But if you're on the cruise, you'd know that there's another thing that's really happening. It's very hard to put into words, but it's everybody. You got young and old and gay and straight, Republican, democo at, all different races, races, all different religions, and everybody for one week because they're there for the music. They just erase all those lines that normally separate different groups of people and everybody just encourages each other well.
Speaker 3: And also they can't get off.
Speaker 4: So where does the twenty twenty five cruise go?
Speaker 5: That one starts in Rotterdam, the Netherlands and goes to Norway and ends up in Raykivic, Iceland, and Iceland is behind me up the most exciting places.
Speaker 3: To puffinsfs puffins, not the cereal, not the cereal.
Speaker 4: I was thinking the alcohol TiO words.
Speaker 5: Probably the cereal too. I love doing the cruises. They're really wonderful experiences and it it's a unique experience that's very tough to put in toowards. But anybody who's been, they understand what it's about, and that's why they come back is for that feeling of community and in our world, not to get to you know, esoteric here, but you know, we don't have many things that that in this world where everybody is divided into their camps and it's a very polarized society. It's like really beautiful feeling to be amongst everybody and just this incredible variety of different types of people and everybody's getting along, everybody's supporting each So that's why I love to do it, and I encourage people to have the experience if they can.
Speaker 2: I'm ready about it.
Speaker 3: Sold out and we can't come.
Speaker 5: I think next year is not sold out, So.
Speaker 4: Now twenty twenty five people can go.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Just around the corner, they're saying, we have a chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would love it, if you guys can. I have special deal to.
Speaker 1: Have to give a shout out to our producer Lorraine, who titled our last episode about you pausing major confusion and I can't wait to see what we're going to call this episode where Dave Cause is the star.
Speaker 5: Why are you people even bothering with someone like that? I mean, we are.
Speaker 3: With you?
Speaker 5: Is this an infatuation? Is it a punked episode? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: We don't even understand it, Dave. We don't obsessed with.
Speaker 3: You, but even more now talking to you like this is a thing.
Speaker 5: Well, I will. I will come back anytime you would like. I would love to be on your show again, to.
Speaker 1: Be live from sas Alito, because it looks pretty good there.
Speaker 5: Right now, Amy, you should, I know we're looking.
Speaker 1: Do you spend most of your time in northern California when you're not cruising or causing trouble?
Speaker 5: I live in Los Angeles still, I still it's my primary residence. But anytime that I can, especially during the pandemic when everything shut down, this is love. And it's a very tiny little place. It may look big on on zoom here, but it's it's only about nine hundred square feet.
Speaker 4: Amazing, Salsalito so cool. Do you go to Barbaci?
Speaker 5: I do go to Barbachi.
Speaker 4: It's amazing and the pizza is delicious.
Speaker 5: Pizza.
Speaker 4: Is it not a great spot.
Speaker 5: My favorite restaurant top five in the world is it's called the Buckeye Roadhouse. Have you ever been there?
Speaker 4: Okay, of course. First of all, this Smore Pie is.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you guys, I need to get come to both of these places, Dave.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say, only better than Barbaci is the buck Eye. And I have many a story for you about the Buck Eye.
Speaker 5: That place is I have amazing Markinis. By the way, I don't mean to make you feel sad, but you can join me. Amy. I don't know about the other ladies, but I'm going there tonight.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Amy, you're getting invited, sinner, Amy.
Speaker 5: It's a reservation for seven o'clock. My very best friend in the wh Hawaii world, Jamie doobe is meeting me. That's his real name, Jamie Doobee.
Speaker 3: I'm so jealous right now.
Speaker 2: Yah, I go, Amy, I'm gonna be so mad.
Speaker 1: I'm a big loser if I don't go. The food at the Buckeye.
Speaker 4: First of all, it's super cool and vibe and the bar is amazing. But the food is delicious, delicious.
Speaker 3: In your top five restaurants in the world, it is, I might.
Speaker 4: Agree, with you, I might agree with you.
Speaker 1: And food, well, the steaks are delicious, but if you get the fish, I still recommend getting the potatoes that come with the steak.
Speaker 5: And they will.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like a potato al grotten kind of a vibe, and they will do it from time to time. Sometimes they get a little nervous if it's real crowded, but they will substitute the potato over the salads, the bread that the whole the food is so great, the Buckeye is iconic.
Speaker 5: If they give me any any crap about switching out my potatoes a grotten, I'm gonna tell I did it for Amy, sugarman. They should do it for me.
Speaker 3: Amy. I'm going to brawl you over Dave Cause.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Yeah, this is taking a turn, Remember, happier.
Speaker 1: Than if Jenny and Torri would come up here and we take Dave Cause to the buck eye.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I bet you think it's tricky though.
Speaker 1: Do you have to park in that parking lot of cross and then you sort of frogger it across that busy road sketch.
Speaker 5: The way right there too, So you got to be very very.
Speaker 4: Careful, a little icy when you when you park, you.
Speaker 5: Dinner at the Buckeye. I bet you that they would comp the meal.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'd probably get the potatoes.
Speaker 5: At least you would at least get the potatoes. But the small pie. That restaurant has been there since the nineteen fifties, so it's just imagine red, old red and a lot of wood. It's like a hunting lodge on the side of the free in there Forever. It's an amazing bar.
Speaker 3: If you have a favor right now.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I have to ask.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I sit upstairs, but I think I prefer to be in the downstairs in the.
Speaker 5: Booths you mean in the bar area, or.
Speaker 4: No, in the back main dining room. But you know how they have those booths along the window.
Speaker 3: Yes, do ourselves from this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys find the.
Speaker 1: Outdoor dining during hopefully that whole outdoor.
Speaker 4: The buck guy is this makes my whole day.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is really good because a lot of people listen to your show, and when anybody comes to the Bay Area, they're going to say, shouldn't we go to the Bucky Roadhouse. We're actually increasing their business perhaps tenfold right now by talking about it.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to get a reservation already. Sometimes I have to get a four forty five. I'm not gonna lie, godive for five it is.
Speaker 4: That's the early Bird Special, yes, and I'm not mad at it. I think they like start at four thirty. So when I get a four forty five, I'm like, I'm down.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 2: I would so be there tonight if I didn't live really far away.
Speaker 1: So I'm dave. You've exceeded my expectation of being awesome. And I book you on KTLA a lot too. I will say I booked that show, so thank you for doing that. But you've exceeded my expectations of being August.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: Is there something your fans call you? It's like a pun with your name? Is there anything cosey Cat?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, well like the Coats of Palooza.
Speaker 5: Let's see that. I have been doing a Christmas tour. This year will be twenty seven years uninterrupted.
Speaker 2: Twenty Do they call you Santa?
Speaker 5: Cause they do, but not year round? Just in December?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's world good?
Speaker 4: Did you see Lorrange just wrote? Just because?
Speaker 3: What else? Is that?
Speaker 5: Our?
Speaker 3: That's got to be it?
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: The next album title for sure.
Speaker 2: We had you on just because because we love you. Dave, cause I love.
Speaker 5: You and I want to wish you much continued success in all that we're doing. And again, thank you very very much for having me on your show.
Speaker 4: You with the buck Eye for sure, thank you.
Speaker 5: Seven see you there.
Speaker 3: I'm here. He's special. He gets the seven o'clock reservation.
Speaker 1: I know I'm at four forty five, Dave, cause now do you put it under cause Santa?
Speaker 2: Cause of course he gets a table Santa.
Speaker 5: There's always room for Santa. Santa.
Speaker 1: Happy happy twenty first birthday, Kelly Taylor.
Speaker 4: Because of that we have Dave cause.
Speaker 5: Yep, happy twenty first. Thank you guys so much, Thank you.
Speaker 3: We'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Bye by bye