Speaker 1: We've talked about this. I think off mic mostly, but you know, when you're a parent, you like a lot of parenting. You're trying to put yourself in your kid's shoes and be like, what was I like when I was that age? And how you know, how you know if there's a problem or if there's something you know, like, what did I feel? And how can I relate to it? And try and have the conversation with India abound that around that, and then time and time again, I smack up against the realization that I'm I'm not raising myself, I'm raising a very different person. In fact, I am raising mister Wilford Dell pretty explicitly.
Speaker 2: Sorry cigarettes, what's the indies favorite BRANDWS cigarette?
Speaker 1: But it's actually been very helpful and healthy to recognize this, and I've even come to you Will. We've had multiple conversations where you've given me great advice because you're like, oh, no, no, no, here's what he's thinking, and you're exactly right, and I'm able to like reorient my way of thinking because you know, yeah, he wants to just get a laugh, just entertain he wants to be a voiceover actor, you know, all the things like there's time and time again. So I came home yesterday. I was traveling and there's a you know, like no one's home. I come home to an empty house and there's just the normal detritus of parenting and what's been happening while I've been gone on the tables and everywhere.
Speaker 3: And I find the sheet of detritus.
Speaker 1: I like, you, I find this. I find this sheet of paper in INDI's handwriting that's all like crumpled and you know, but it's just like this weird list and I'm like, what is this? And I read it and you know, the first line is I believe I am funny. I am certain I am funny, and.
Speaker 3: It goes on.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what is is this? Like a is this some.
Speaker 2: Sort of therapeutic like self help?
Speaker 1: Self help thing? Like he needed to like write down something. Did Alex tell him like, you know, you're funny? Let's or is this a poem? Like is it you know, some sort of I don't know, is it acrosstic?
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to figure it out. And then when Indy and my wife get home, and you know, if I asked them about it, I get the true story, which is much more. Oh, I'm raising Wilford Dell. So Indy had to write sentences that use that week's spelling words, and that week spelling words were believe certain, certain, extremely.
Speaker 2: I am extremely funny.
Speaker 1: Let's see direction measure explodes. So so I'm going to read you what Indy wrote for spelling. Okay, I believe I am funny. I'm certain I am funny. If you look at me, you were looking in the direction of a funny person. So I am especially funny. I am extremely funny. It's important that you know that I'm funny. If you measure how funny I am, I would explode piece by piece you find out I'm funny, I'm probably funny.
Speaker 2: With your knowledge, you know I'm funny. Oh. I was like, okay, yes, yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: It just gets funnier the more it goes on.
Speaker 2: Like you did you did the assignment, Yeah yeah, yeah, to.
Speaker 3: Say you have to come up with original sentences for.
Speaker 1: Each one, and the only one I agree with this probably probably right because it was retracting at the end there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: No. So I have a teacher parent conference this afternoon. I can't wait to talk about this. Yes, right, hopefully she has a sense of humor. And I find this hysteric.
Speaker 2: Can I ask a very important question?
Speaker 4: Ye were all the words spelled properly exactly perfectly?
Speaker 2: What did you complain about exactly? You know, I mean.
Speaker 1: Liked be brilliant? You did it, You did it and did.
Speaker 4: The assignment, and it's all it's all spelled properly exactly and you showed personality in it when which you know which?
Speaker 3: To be honest, a bunch of other kids are probably just like and filling out some boring stuff with.
Speaker 1: Words, making kids much more like young writers, strong who probably wrote like a very intense.
Speaker 4: Especially I am especially upset, especially especially sad.
Speaker 1: I am extremely.
Speaker 4: I can admit something here that I don't think i've ever I know I've never admitted publicly, but I will do it here because why not? Uh mister Brooker's class fifth grade is when spelling bees really started, and I cheated, and now to this day I can't.
Speaker 2: It is I am an awful, awful speller.
Speaker 4: And it's because I used to be able to glance down at a little list I had written up and I could cheat on my spelling bee. Don't cheat, kids, kids, because it's I cannot spell at it's my worst. I remember when I passed in my first script to my friend George, I said, oh, I apologize for the spelling ers.
Speaker 2: Is before spell check and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I think I typed it out and he wrote, Hey, just look at yourself in the mirror and say I'm not a.
Speaker 2: Speller, I'm a writer.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, hey, that's a nice way of saying you're an idiot.
Speaker 3: Learn.
Speaker 1: It is true that spelling is one of those things that just kind of doesn't matter that much anymore.
Speaker 2: No's just what you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's good to know, good to practice.
Speaker 2: But if you don't get it, who cares.
Speaker 4: I like to apologize to mister Brooker, by the way, my first male teacher and the first teacher I ever saw smoke, who exactly don't tell me teachers can't change your life. By the way, I was like, oh, he's really enjoying that camel.
Speaker 3: Did you smoke in class?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: God, here do you think I was born?
Speaker 1: I don't even a teacher smoking where students can see them. It's pretty I think, I know.
Speaker 4: But Daniel, I think sees me as the teacher smoking in class, and then we did nuclear bomb drills like under the.
Speaker 3: I don't know, weren't you around when people smoked on planes?
Speaker 2: I did smoke on it. Yeah, plane, Yeah, I smoked on planes. I remember shy on the way to Amsterdam. Just funniest. Oh, but that's the thing.
Speaker 4: So I'm with Ryder's brother, Shiloh, and it's the funniest thing in the world. So You're in a big metal tube and half the plane is smoking in the back and half isn't.
Speaker 2: That's smoking and non smoking somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so I'm smoking a cigarette, no problem, bunch of people around me smoking cigarette.
Speaker 2: Shiloh lights a cigar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and people walk back and they're like, what do you think you're doing? Like you've taken it at too far and he's like, oh sorry, or like puts out a cigar and I'm like smoking cigarette, Like.
Speaker 2: How dare you? What are you thinking? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My experience with the smoking section and a plane is very very much in line with my father, the King Strong. That's how they get your model, which was we saved a lot of money my first trip to Europe when I was five years old by buying tickets in the smoking section. So like My first memories of being in a plane are sitting in the smoking section. Will people walk back. That's what they used to They would watch get to the smoking section to stand down there and smoke. Well, me and my brother are just.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, I've never been on a plane where anybody was able to smoke.
Speaker 4: Really, no, that makes sense because by the time you were a little older, you could only do it internationally, and that I think that only lasted a year or two when I was seventeen or eighteen, and then that was done, Like you couldn't do that anymore, because because why would you.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I mean it's like it's awful.
Speaker 3: I do remember smoking and non smoking in restaurants, though, I'm being like, yeah, oh yeah, we'd like to sit in the non smoking section. And then literally like the booth behind you.
Speaker 2: Is part of this.
Speaker 1: Cloud towards you.
Speaker 2: Like what yep?
Speaker 4: I remember that, Oh God, as a smoker, sitting and going to airports and you have the the glass box with fifty people in it and it's just a giant smoke filled.
Speaker 2: Cloud and you're just the last week and it's just oh, got him.
Speaker 1: I remember such a huge debate with your brother Greg when they outlawed smoking in bars and he was like, no, this is ridiculous. And I was like, no, man, it makes perfect sense. You should and he was like, no, that's why you go to a bar. You go to a bar to drink and smoke. So by saying you can't smoke in a bar, you're taking away my freedom. And we got into it.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I I guess I can hear my brother, what's next? No drinking and then no talking?
Speaker 5: I remember, I guarantee that was what I was argument, and he was like it was I remember.
Speaker 1: I was like trying to come up with the right metaphor. I was our analogy, because he kept saying like, no, it's my freedom, it's my body. I can do what I want. You choose to come in the space. I'm like, no, it's more equivalent to like somebody because of secondhand smoke. It's more equivalent like you having the right to like walk around with a hammer and keep pounding other people, like smashing their knees. Like that's the oh, I have the right. You came into this bar, I can hit you in the knee with my hammer. What it's a bar.
Speaker 2: In all fairness if the bar is called hammer knee Bar, say.
Speaker 3: Everyone's favorite bar bar. Welcome to Bond Meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 3: Welcome to today's episode recap. It is season six, episode eight, You're Married, You're Dead. It originally aired November thirteenth, nineteen ninety eight. The synopsis to prove he can still fit in with the rest of the guys, Corey go to a nightclub filled with scantily claud waitresses and loses his engagement ring. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Gary H. Miller. Quite a few guest stars this week, but before I jump into them, anybody want to talk about their overall thoughts? No, no one wants to do.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling Wheel's gonna hate this episode, but okay, I'll let him speak.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: It's just if it plays on the man women trope thing that we've talked about a lot on the show that you really just can't stand. So I just assumed that because it really does lean into that, that's like the whole point of the episode. Yeah, No, I mean, I don't know this episode felt very weird to me in that it felt like it felt like somebody had written a draft of an episode that was, you know, very clearly like Topanga's upset that Corey goes to a you know, essentially a strip club or Hooters, and then they kind of backed off of that by like having Topanga be very understanding and so like, I feel like in the rewrite it kind of it's like almost like everything the characters are saying is going against the actual plot, and so it was just felt kind of forced in a way. And then some of the jokes felt rushed. I don't know, something felt off. It felt like this was a bad tape night for some reason. I don't know what happened, but like because it is pretty funny. Ben's very funny, like Corey being anxious is very funny, but it just didn't land in certain parts for me. So I kind of want to go back, and like, even if we just live with the script as it is, I feel like we could have done better as a team acting wise, performance wise, it just felt off in some way. It's interesting that was directed by McCracken, who usually I feel like the performances are so on point with him and we are just in it no matter how you know what the writing is, And in this one, I felt like a lot of us weren't in it. Besides the guest cast, I felt like a lot of us weren't in it, so that I don't know, that was my problem with the episode overall.
Speaker 4: Valid will Yeah, this ranks up there with arguably the worst episode i've for me.
Speaker 2: Of the series for every reason.
Speaker 4: It's not just that trope, which is there, but it's also the bad you know, I'm sorry, but they're they're trying to do a Harley Joey impression with the Yeah so Sean's throughout.
Speaker 2: Most of the episode, sure don't.
Speaker 4: He runs in at one point to follow Angela to finish a conversation that they never show. Nope, Uh, there is the cleavage thing we've seen before. Corey wearing an engagement ring is stupid. This was the entire episode I thought was idiotic. This was and that there are people, Oh they're so harsh in the show.
Speaker 2: I know TV. This was not it.
Speaker 4: This was a bad episode of television all the way around.
Speaker 2: That's my That's what I think this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I I you want to know what makes me the most angry of all of the things. I agree with everything both of you said. I agree writer. It feels like all of us were not in it, and I think it's because at the time we probably felt like it was bad. And I, as I met in the last episode, when of my soul left my body, I can see I am vacant. I can't stand it, and I am furious that they put the words well, as long as there's women willing to dance like that, there will be men to see them. Into Penga's mouth.
Speaker 2: Yes, how dare you?
Speaker 3: How dare you who did not say if that's an argument we need to make, because the men in the room also want to say, Hey, it's not just us. You have to be responsible for it too, since it's you know, how could we stop ourselves If that's an argument, If that's a point you want to get in there, you better find someone else.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: Penga's mouth and for Angela and to Panga to have that conversation where we are shaming women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's disgusted.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that that. Now that you say that, I'm like, oh, right, they could have easily had Angela be the voice of that and to Panga, because when Angela gives that speech in the shower, like where she's going into the shower and she's like, you know, you must be damaged, that actually could have been to Panga's perspective, which would fit more with her character. And then maybe she would you know, the other woman would be like, no, it's not that like that, come with me to Panga. So they could have actually kept the storyline it's still been more true to Topanga's point of view. Maybe, but yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's oh, this was bad.
Speaker 3: This was just a bad It's a bad.
Speaker 4: Epis is by far the worst episode of season six, and I think it's arguably up so far and arguably up there for my least favorite episode. There's nothing about this episode that I liked. Literally nothing about this episode that even the guest stars who the acting was fine. Yeah, but that's just the Tarley and joe You can't come up with tu with a different trope then literally Harley and Joey again.
Speaker 2: That's that's all you're gonna give us.
Speaker 4: I mean, my god, it was yeah, this this was this didn't do it for me at all.
Speaker 3: So our guest stars, we have Phil Buckman as Gambling. Dan Phil appeared in a ton of nineties TV, including Major Dad, Weird Science, and Grace Underfire and movies like An American Werewolf in Paris and a Very Brady sequel. He is still acting and he was just seen on the Pit. And then we have Dana dues Is as Eric's waitress. Dues appeared on Step by Step and in the sequel to Mannequin Mannequin on the Move.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Mannequin two, this time it's personal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We have Tammy Adrian George who plays waitress, and she showed up in a lot of great stuff movies like Rome and Michelle's High School Reunion, Starship Troopers and Brats, and TV shows like Deep Space nine, Heroes and Big Time Rush. She is now a popular pilates coach with thirty four years of experience. Dam I mean she was doing pilates for years when we take this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when people were still pronouncing it peelates. That's how long ago that pil exactly.
Speaker 3: And then we have Claire Salstrom as Joan. Claire also appeared on Silk Stalkings, Seventh Heaven, and she was in six episodes of Saved by the Bell. The New Class and she recently hosted a web series called People and Pops, all about adorable dogs and the people who love them. Will could have been on that show.
Speaker 2: I have totally been on that show.
Speaker 3: Why weren't you asked to be on that show?
Speaker 2: That's a really great questions as a dog.
Speaker 1: Because we've discovered that Eric is.
Speaker 4: He could go way a extremely versatile, astoundingly versatile.
Speaker 3: I am probably.
Speaker 2: Look in the direction of.
Speaker 4: My versatility would make me explode.
Speaker 3: Then we have Audrea Tennor as Terry. She's a familiar face. She's from movies like The First Wives, Club, Bad Moms, and The Artist, as well as a bunch of TV shows including Friends, Jag, Greek and Swat. She is still working.
Speaker 2: Does she only do shows with one name?
Speaker 3: Yes, Friends, Jack, Greekins, Okay, that's yeah. Making sure her special skills. It's weeding out shows with more than one more.
Speaker 4: Than one I did Boy Meets Worldwides Never Again, Never Again, Swatt Jack.
Speaker 3: And then we have Sean Weiss appearing as Louie. This was a bit of stunt casting. Sean is globally known as Goldberg in the iconic Mighty Ducks films. He also played Josh Burnbaum in the cult Disney movie Heavyweights, and nowadays he's doing stand up comedy with a lot of focus on his sobriety, which he has been publicly speaking about since twenty twenty two. He will return as Louie later this season.
Speaker 4: He also was starred with me in My first ever thing I did on camera, my first ever television show. Was was the first guest, the first friend actor I ever had was Sean Weiss.
Speaker 2: I was twelve years old.
Speaker 4: He was nine or ten, and we did a cop show in New York called True Blue Cops. No can you imagine? Yes, we were cops. It was twenty one Jump Street. If it was in elementary.
Speaker 2: This is a good pitch. It's not so bad. It's eleven Jump Street. No, no, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he was my first ever buddy on the set with Sean Weiss when.
Speaker 2: We were little kids.
Speaker 3: We are interviewing him later, so we'll be sure to ask him a few questions about that as well. So jumping into our recap, we are in Corey and Sean's dorm. The room feels different, a little darker, a little moodier. Sean is playing poker with three other guys and he confidently places ten bucks into the pile. The most smoldering of his competitors, referred to as Gambling Dan, who also looks to be about forty years.
Speaker 5: Old, I was like, wow, okay, we are is a senior college dude.
Speaker 1: It's it's like, not only is he like Harley and everything he says and all of his you know, but also just that there's a guy who's clearly just and.
Speaker 2: Even grown up Carly.
Speaker 4: It's just it was strange to see him like this because he was a famous eighties and nineties television guest star, and he always had this really well known long hair, like you looked like Atis from Chili Peppers, and so to see I was like, oh, that's right, he got his hair off.
Speaker 3: Well. He takes a good look at Sean's face to determine his next move. Louie, Gambling Dan's jumpy sidekick, the Jay to his silent Bob, keeps chiming in he wants to know Gambling Dan's plan. After a deep stare, Dan thinks Sean's got nothing and lays his money down to Louie. Hype Man's his friend. To Sean, you've got nothing, you loser, but Sean reveals his car. Joey's Joey.
Speaker 2: It's like New York, it's a Joey. Yeah, give us a different trope, I mean, anything, anything different.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe they really were like, let's just bring it back, like let's you know, they wanted to familiar. Yeah, they wanted it to be comforting, and it's it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well Sean has got three kings. Louis gasps, oh, no, gambling Dan, This has never happened before. Dan shakes his head in shame and admits, nice hand hunter, Maybe I did misread you. Sean thanks him, but Sean still lost. Gambling Dan reveals a flush Sean is stunned as Dan pulls down the pot. He likes the way Sean plays. They should hang out more.
Speaker 2: Louis now gambling. Dan's gonna take He is cut off me, cut off? He is for the pot.
Speaker 3: Like, do we ever address whether gambling Dan is a student or is he just an old dude who comes to gambling.
Speaker 2: We never know his name is Jim.
Speaker 4: That's the weird thing is he goes by gambling Dan. But yeah, it was just no, we never established that.
Speaker 3: So Louis agrees, Yeah, I like you too, Shannie. I was rooting for you. Louis asks, maybe you'll join us later at Cleavage.
Speaker 2: Quite college club name CLUVA.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember this at all, but I did laugh out loud. I was like, and I was like, that's funny that I do love the name.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: The best joke of this episode well because yeah.
Speaker 3: In my mind, one of the reasons none of this really works is that I kept thinking, like, in any other show, this is supposed to be a strip club, but the fact that it's called Clavage makes me think it's actually supposed to be more like a Hooters.
Speaker 4: Is It's that's exactly what it's supposed to be, and it's supposed to be women walking around with cleavage written right on the.
Speaker 3: Okay. Just then, Corey opens the door and gasps, what's this My best friend in my roommate hosting a poker game in our room without me gambling? Dan sneers, it's the major. I thought you were out with your virgin support group. Corey admits the other guy dropped out.
Speaker 2: Good joke, funny joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: On his way out, Dan tells Sean they'll see him tonight, and Louis adds and don't bring nobody. As he gestures towards Corey. Now alone, Corey asks what's going on at seven? Sean casually mentions that a bunch of them are going.
Speaker 2: To a club.
Speaker 3: Corey's hurt. I suppose a bunch of us didn't think to invite me either. Sean figured he was busy with Tapanga. Cory scoffs, well, Pal, it just so happens. I'm free tonight. Topega's busy. Sean says this proves his point. Everything he does is based on Tapanga. Corey reminds him he's engaged, and Sean admits, sometimes I wonder if that rings not through your nose. Corey holds up his hand. It's right here, Pal, But perhaps his best friend is secretly jealous of her. Sean shakes his head. He's not jealous. It's just whenever he's doing something with the guys, and he says, hey, I'll bring Corey along. Gambling Dan says, no, not Corey, he's married, he's dead. Cory says he doesn't care what Gambling Dan thinks, but shortly after, he wonders, why does he call me the Major? Sean explains it stands for Major wooss. He says, if there was a Whipped magazine, you'd be the center forul Corey retorts, first of all, there is a Whipped magazine. I didn't subscribe.
Speaker 5: Somehow they found Again, it's funny some of the Corey gets some funny jokes in this episode that I mean that, like his constant like over confidence and then undermining himself is you know great, it's that aspect of it is.
Speaker 1: All the asides are pretty funny, I think.
Speaker 2: So now I have a question, how so we know they do the scripts in advance.
Speaker 4: They're obviously they're arcing now well for most seasons, they're arcing out what they're supposed to do, and.
Speaker 2: Then they're writing the scripts and they're going from there.
Speaker 4: But we also know that when a joke or something works, it tends to appear in the next week script.
Speaker 2: We've seen that before Eric cackling.
Speaker 4: They tried that it was in the next script, so they obviously couldn't pad for that, right, So how much of this do you think? Maybe one of the reasons that it felt so I don't know, disjointed is because Ben has been so funny playing the neurotic guy in the last few episodes hugely great Cory season that now are they rewriting the scripts to write more beats like that?
Speaker 2: And so they're doing it kind of Wow, this is bad. You got to rewrite next.
Speaker 4: Week's script as fast as possible, and maybe it's faltering a bit because it's like, my god, Ben is killing it. Let's make him even more neurotic. Throw that into the script, and then the script feels like it's rushed? I mean, is that a possibility?
Speaker 3: My My only argument against that point is that whenever we've had the writers on and we talk about it, it doesn't actually seem like the scripts are written in advance. It seems like they throw around ideas and they come up with something and then two people, you know, where one person goes and kind of like puts a great outline together and then it's it's really done.
Speaker 1: My feeling is when you said that, Will I was like, oh right, this was this sounds like a pitch for when now we're in college and Corey's engaged. What can we create stories out of that? And he was like, oh what, what's what?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: How can we have a situation where it's it's in conflict to be engaged in to be in college, and they were like, oh, he goes out to the he goes out with the guys, and because he's married or because he's in it's it's in conflict with that, and that seems like a good idea, but then you get into the weeds of it and you're like, Topanga probably would be fine with that, Sean would like all the characters don't kind of fit that like situation that well. So that's why I feel like they're writing against the very plot that we're living in, and that's why it just feels like, you know, especially the second half of this episode, I was like, there's no problem here, like Topanga going like the like the anticipation that Topanga's going to show up at the strip club or the at Clevage. I was like, she already said it's fine, there's no problem here. So then they have to create the like, oh, it's the it's the ring.
Speaker 3: And then it's like but that.
Speaker 4: Even that, like why would she be you know, but a lot of it didn't make sense. The joke was are you going to tell Topanga you're going? And he's like, well, I've the tied of my hands.
Speaker 2: But then he doesn't tell her he's going, so then he has to tell her later. But you just said you were going to tell her. Just none of it made sense.
Speaker 3: I mean also the tushy dance.
Speaker 2: Oh don't don't that never happened that I'm I yes, that is being bleethed.
Speaker 3: Just all right, I'll bleeth it with you. I'd like to bleef this whole episode. I did bleef this episode before it aired.
Speaker 2: Zero memory, zero nothing, I remember none of this.
Speaker 3: Uh, Sean smirks, I'll tell him that tonight. At Cleavage, Corey's jaw drops club Cleavage, where the women parade around in little outfits that barely cover their most private of situations, and Angela's letting you go. Sean reminds him he's not with Angela anymore, but Corey says he is. Sean stands firm, I am not gentle. Corey argues that he should be. Sean says, even if I was, if I want to go someplace, i'd go. Corey decides, well, I want to go to Sean laughs at the thought. Corey matthews At Cleavage, you blush at the beach, Corey gets serious. Listen, I don't want to be excluded from all these things just because I'm engaged. But Sean feels it's deeper than that. He broke up with Angela, but Corey is still with Tapanka. They're just in completely different situations. Now. Corey doesn't care. He demands, you tell gambling Dan that the major is going. Sean wonders what he'll tell his fiance. Corey declares, I will tell her what I want to tell her when I choose to tell her, or I will tell her or I won't. It's all up to me. Sean raises an eyebrow. So you're gonna tell her, Corey shrugs, it's out of my hands.
Speaker 2: Did you guys see the bus?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: I was still busy thinking about how disgusting it was that you put your filthy shoes all right on top of your bed. I watched you do that, and I was so grossed out.
Speaker 2: The only thing in character for Sean in this entire episode. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: We never noticed the details of the production design.
Speaker 2: That they were putting the bus. It follows me everywhere. That is so cool.
Speaker 4: I love that the salary poster should be somewhere. It should always be yeah, the salary poster should be somewhere.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, when we get our tattoos, it'll go with us forever.
Speaker 2: Don't don't joke, you joke, you're playing with my emotions. You'll never do that.
Speaker 3: We're at the boys apartment. Rachel's in the kitchen typing at her computer. The guys try their best to quietly and quickly sneak past her, but without glancing in their direction. She asks, where are you going? Jack nervously responds, you have no right to judge us. I have to point it out. It's the first time we get a storyline that isn't just about you two competing.
Speaker 2: For her effects, for her, for affection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they it took eight episodes.
Speaker 2: And they're finally doing it.
Speaker 3: But they finally gave her something. They gave her a little bit of backstory, something that's going on for her in her school, her own goal. We should see her being studious and smart.
Speaker 2: So Mainlyngratua in this episode. But she was good.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought she was one of the people that stood out in this episode frankly as grounded and real and yating the beats where the rest of us weren't.
Speaker 2: And it was I thought she was very good in this episode.
Speaker 3: Frank completely agree with you. She is a very high point for what is a bleefed episode for me.
Speaker 2: Yep agreed.
Speaker 3: Jack nervously responds, you have no right to judge us. Eric adds, Yeah, why are you asking so many questions? We're not hounding you about what you're doing. She responds, I'm doing a midterm paper on the influence of women on male bonding. Eric concludes, there isn't any males. We're bonding on this planet long before women arrived. Rachel sighs, Oh, this paper is worth half my grade. I've been praying to come up with a specific case that I can observe, but so far I haven't. Eric gets defensive again. Look, we're just going out, Okay, We're men doing what men do. Quite frankly, I'm tired of all the scrutiny, the badgering, the nitpicking. It's gotta stop. Jack as is back, don't ask us when we're coming back either, because, quite frankly, it's none of your business. Eric agrees, Because we're in college now, you're not the boss of us. The boys high five in the doorway and Eric tuns are on their way out, nag nag nag, neg nag nag nag.
Speaker 2: They slam the door and a smile, so I'm sorry. Is is the connecting thread?
Speaker 4: Then, between the A story and the B story, men have an assumption of what women are going to think about their life, when in reality, if they just sat down and spoke to the woman, they would realize that the women really aren't thinking what they think they're thinking.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Good question? I hadn't thought of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Her paper is on the effect that women have on male bile bonding, which is a weird subject, okay, but it's also like she doesn't care. Rachel's not going to care that they're going to Hooters for dinner.
Speaker 3: But they care, which is the point of her paper, which is like, you know, if you're if you're just with your bros and then one of them brings their.
Speaker 2: Girlfriend, it changes the whole dynamic.
Speaker 3: Changes the whole dynamic. You're like, I'm not going to the way I would normally talk. I don't want to share that story about the girl I met last week, because like I would talk about it with my bros differently than I would with a woman present, and so same thing that, like, because if if it's no big deal for all saul to be at club Clavage, why doesn't Corey just invite to Panga, I'm going to Clavage tonight? Or like why wouldn't he and Tapega on a date night go to Clavage? But it's because Tapega wouldn't want to be at a place.
Speaker 4: Like that, right, But shouldn't that be the story then shouldn't they be saying shouldn't they just be walking out, not trying to sneak past her and they're like, Hey, we're going to Clavage and she's like, oh great, I'd actually like to join you, And that then changes their well because.
Speaker 3: You know she's not gonna like it, and you don't want to feel judged, You don't want even it's a little bit like she's your mom, I don't let's let's sneak out without her knowing where we're going, because if you tell her where we're going, then she's going to say, why would you guys go there? And then we're gonna feel bad about it, and then we're not gonna have as much fun as we would if we didn't have that judgment on us.
Speaker 1: But then there's also the other thing, which is the effect that the women at Clavage have on male bonding, which is a positive influence, right, Right, It's like there's other types of women to make male bonding possible. It's like we're not just going to play poker with our bros and talk about women. We're going to go ogle yeah, naked women, and those women have an influence, right. So so there's there's there's two different types of women. There's the virgins and the whores, and and they both affect male bonding, one negatively and one positively. None the twains shall ever meet, right, There's no other there's no other way that women can affect male bonding. The show is that there's only there's moms, perfect moms and perfect wives who would never be scantily clad, and and and they intrude on male bonding. And then there's women who are willing to be scantily cloud who positively affect male bonding. And and they have to be two different types of women. They can't be the same, they really can't. It's like the most horrifying image to Panga in the Cleavage thing, because that would threaten this world view that destabilizes everything. She very weird.
Speaker 2: It is weird.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, well that was a great question writer, Thank you for putting that in perspective for us. They slam the door and a smile crosses Rachel's face. She looks at the sky.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Jack and Eric are now in the hallway talking about Rachel's nerve, trying to make them feel guilty about going out. Eric blames it on a woman's intuition. They sense when a man's about to do something fun and they try to spoil it. Jack confidently agrees it ain't gonna work on us, but when the elevator doors open, his demeanor quickly changes. Maybe we shouldn't go, but Eric pushes him into the elevator anyway. And then we are at Club Cleavage. Uh. Sean and Corey enter and see girls walking around in sports bras and tiny shorts. This is the boy meets world version of an upscale Hooters. Sean checks out the ladies. That's something then you don't see every day. Corey innocently remarks, yeah, look, an audi, you know if the doctor had just tied a neat or not. Sean cuts him off before we get to the guys, could you age up about thirty years? I was trying to understand that. Are you calling him a child?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's talking about out.
Speaker 3: As opposed to calling I thought, maybe, okay, immature. I was thinking, maybe, isn't it the opposite that he's like an old man and you want to you know, like in my mind it's like we think of Corey as being the old dude, right, But.
Speaker 4: That then he should have come in and been like, my god, she's gonna catch her death wearing that sweater.
Speaker 2: Does she need to start? My god? Exactly.
Speaker 3: Then Louis spots Corey and shouts out, hey, look it's mister tapanga Lawrence gambling. Dan, who has one of the waitresses sitting on his lap, salutes Corey.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Major. Corey responds, you're not nice. Dan sarcastically asks if this is too much action him. Corey's angry. You didn't get enough love as a child, did you. Louie encourages Dan to beat him up. Dan refuses, I'm sure his wife does that for him already. Corey reminds everyone he isn't married. He's engaged. He points to his ring finger, so nuts to you.
Speaker 2: What man wears an engagement ring? Is that a thing that I just don't know about? No, thank you?
Speaker 3: And I actually love the idea that Cory, the old man who's obsessed with marriage, would love the idea of a ring in this situation. For this episode, however, it should have been mentioned way earlier when he's talking about the ring with Sean. Sean could have been the person to say, who what man even wears an engagement ring? And for Corey to say it's so pretty? Why will they not have?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: For him to acknowledge it with Sean something where we get himself and he wanted it? Yeah, yeah, like why does why is she the only one who gets to wear one? Or for purposes of the story, it doesn't seem completely out of character that Tapega would believe, well, why am I the only one who has to wear a symbol of my relationship?
Speaker 2: If we are assess me own me, we belong to each other, and.
Speaker 3: If you would like for me to wear a ring, would let's get your ring as well and we will both just wear rings, and then Corey could have the thing of like but nobody else wears them and it really separates me, like then Topega would have had some sort of hand in this where he could have felt like, this thing she asked me to do, well, it makes sense, does separate me and ostracize me from the guys. But in this situation it's even weirder because she goes, you're the one who said she wanted it, So it's just another thing that just kind of like, I don't know, could have been, could have been more in character many different ways, and and and just wasn't. Sean knows he's not helping himself. Dan asks what kind of a guy? Where's an engagement ring? Sean tries to explain, Corey's just not like everybody else, He's unique. He marches to the beat of a different drummer.
Speaker 1: Which is finally Sean, yes, I always felt about Corey, which is like, I love this guy. I was like, why Sean would ever be insecure about Corey is just driving me insane. It's like, Sean should be insecure about himself. That's great, that speaks to going to college and all of this, But to put to put it on Cory like he does in so many scenes so far in this season is really just not cool.
Speaker 2: No, Sean is completely different, and I know why and we'll get to it.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll get to it in this episode. I know what they were going for. It's it's partially that you've checked out. You can see it, like both you and Daniel. You can see the deadness zombie. I think that is part of it, but there's also they address it here and I was like, oh my god, you've got to be kidding me.
Speaker 2: But that's what they're going for.
Speaker 3: Okay, Louis says, what does that mean? I hate it when people say crap. I don't get Sean simply states he's a good guy, but Corey says he doesn't need Sean to defend him. Dan smirks, well he's here. That's a start. Then a new waitress makes her way up to the table and notices Corey right away. She sits on his lap. You're new here. I haven't seen you before. Corey immediately looks at the ceiling, avoiding eye contact with the girl or her body. I'd like a hamburger and French fries. Sean wonders why he's looking at the ceiling, and Corey explains, because I'm uncomfortable is why. Sean pushes his head to face the girl. Cory smiles at her.
Speaker 2: Hi, how you doing? Did you notice?
Speaker 4: So he's not looking at her, but his arms around her waist and he's holding on to her waist right. You figured it would be like he'd have his head, but he's not. He literally has his hand around her, is holding her, but he's not looking at her.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, that he shouldn't. He shouldn't have been touching her in anyway.
Speaker 4: It would be fun if he's just like exactly, but he's got his arm around her waist and he's like his hands on her hip, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: That's that's not what they were going for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan notices, I think she likes you major because, as we know, every woman who has ever seen Corey likes hims. Corey wants to get to know him. Corey gets bashful. She doesn't like me, she doesn't even know me. The girl giggles at Corey, I do like you. She asks Danny where he's been hiding him and Danny, by the way, Danny they even named the Harley character.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 3: Dan explains he doesn't get out much. He's married. Corey laughs, No, I'm not married. Don't listen to him. I'm just here for a hamburger and possibly the beverage of my choice. The girl asks, if you're not married, why are you wearing a ring. He explains it's an engagement ring, and the girl figures it out. Oh, this is a bachelor party.
Speaker 1: Corey, you know, probably could have just ended there, because I was like, the girls descending on him is enough of an image. But we got to get Eric in there, so we have like all this extra reiteration of the same things we've already just talked about. Okay, yeah, I was rolling my eyes. Wow, a shoehorning this plot.
Speaker 3: Like its Corey tries to correct Dan, but the waitress has already alerted her co workers. We got a bachelor party. They all come running over and yank Corey out of his seat and tickle him right.
Speaker 4: Well, you've never been to a bachelor party, Danielle, In all fairness, lots of tickling, Yeah, if you've never never been in the tickle circle, come on, Oh my god, come on.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well what I'm you're on?
Speaker 2: You're on warning? What am I am crossing? Am I crossing that line?
Speaker 3: You're you're all ready to say one of those things that you say, well, then I go now I can't done. Hear it?
Speaker 2: So like uglies Daniel's favorite and the tickle circle. Yeah, yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I have a whole body chills right now from how closed out I am from both of you.
Speaker 2: Ub it, just stuve it.
Speaker 3: He has to shout, girls, this isn't necessary. You're all wonderful and special in your own individual ways, but you're smothering with me with your He glances at one of the girl's chests. Oh cleavage, Now I get it. Sean encourages him to enjoy. It's just fun. Corey agrees, then asks their waitress what bad could come from it? Right to panga and then suddenly the waitress is replaced with tapanga and tiny shorts and a crop top. He points and screams, engaged wrong, must poke eyes out.
Speaker 2: Remember this. You don't remember doing this at all?
Speaker 3: One bit.
Speaker 2: I know I remember it either.
Speaker 3: No, And I think I think for me it's probably blocked out because I was probably well, I was probably so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: No with on it.
Speaker 2: One of the things you wish you saved from the set of all the things you could have had the things.
Speaker 3: I look back and think about, uh bringing that home. Yeah, I didn't trade that out for one of my home sports bras.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: The real waitress watches on with horror as Corey grabs a fork and brings it close to his eyes. Thankfully, Sean stops him.
Speaker 2: I poking bad.
Speaker 3: If Dan sees you mail, there's no way you or I will ever be able to repair the damage to your reputation. Corey wins. But maybe he's right. Maybe I am just mister tapango Lawrence. Sean says, Will you just take the ring off? It's strangling you. Corey looks over at Dan and Louie hitting it off with yet another woman, So he does it. Corey takes off his ring. The two walk back to their table, and Corey takes one last look at his ring and places it on the napkin dispenser.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't all right.
Speaker 1: This is also the end of a scene like yeah, weird, Like we've gone through that, but then we have to have the extra beats.
Speaker 3: We need to take an eleven page scene.
Speaker 2: It takes off the ring and puts it out. You put it in your pocket, everybody to.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows when you are at a clavage place, you put your ring in your bit. My god, but he's weighing out some second thoughts. I don't know about this. I want to be one of the guys, but if I have to take my ring off, I don't feel like I belong here. I don't feel like you belong here. I don't even feel like Eric belongs here. Right on cue, we hear Eric yell from one of the nearby tables, Hey, nurse, how about some show? Corey admits Eric probably does belong there. Over at Jack at Eric's table, Jack admits, I don't know why we thought we had to sneak out. This is just a harmless college town gathering place. Eric agrees, but he's convinced Rachel would see this as a low life den of iniquity. Then a waitress comes and sits on Eric's lap. He casually orders a tuna on white with the corners cut off and served in triangles the way his mommy does. The girl nods without hesitation, and he thanks Tiffany on her way to the kitchen. Eric returns to Jack, she'd think this place would be frequented by the degenerate scum of the earth you know. On cue, Corey walks up.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello. This next speech of Cory is my favorite thing of the episode. See it didn't say anything, but I loved it.
Speaker 3: Eric asks what he's doing here, and Corey questions him, why does it strike you on that?
Speaker 4: Why as.
Speaker 3: Such as this?
Speaker 2: He's the best, the best?
Speaker 3: Eric asks if the panga knows he's here, and Corey plays it off, what does the matter and with the guys tonight? Then he turns the question on them. Does Rachel know you guys are here?
Speaker 1: Why would Rachel have any ask that the.
Speaker 2: Girl you met once, who's our roommate?
Speaker 3: Like really, Jack laughs, we don't care what Rachel thinks. She's just our roommate. Eric wonders why he'd even ask a question like that, and Corey admits, well, she looks surprised to see you. And then it's revealed that Rachel is sitting at the table to them.
Speaker 1: Surprised to see them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, good question.
Speaker 1: She literally came there seek them out and she doesn't look surprised and studying them. So why is Corey's lyne to review her? Because she looks surprised, should be because she's over there. Look, you know, fine, Like what.
Speaker 3: Because she so she followed them right here, but this is the first time we're getting to see what her reaction is to finding out where they went. So even though it doesn't make sense story wise, she's surprised, like I cannot believe my two. She is having the judgment of them that they're afraid she's going to have, which is like, you guys came to cleavage, but.
Speaker 1: That's not when they reveal her. She's just kind of looking at them and writing notes, and.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, they also didn't see the six foot tall redhead on this at the seats.
Speaker 2: Away from the table.
Speaker 1: Remember the last episode, you were like, yeah, Magice coming home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, what the Yeah.
Speaker 3: She greets them and asks if they're having a good time. Jack Wins is not, and Eric finishes his sentence anymore, and then we're back in the dorm hallway. Corey and Sean are walking to their room and Sean has a big smile on his face. I think tonight was good for both of us. It really puts you over the hump with the guys. Corey breaks it to him, this may come as a bombshell, but that guy Dan is a jerk, Sean defends him.
Speaker 2: Jerk is normal.
Speaker 3: This is what single guys do in college.
Speaker 1: Jerk is normal.
Speaker 2: Is normal. This and this is the thing that they're trying to show about Sean. And this is the change.
Speaker 4: If you're not in a committed relationship, you end up with the wrong people, the wrong friends.
Speaker 2: You're a worse friend to Corey. You're worst. You are going down the wrong path because you are single.
Speaker 1: You should not have broken up with Angela, and.
Speaker 4: That's happening because he did. You're a worse friend to me. You're hanging out with jerks. You're lying to Angela.
Speaker 3: Bad women bad.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, because you're single, you are bad. Look what's happening you, Sean. It's like drums, It's like they're going, look what Look at the path you're headed downtation because you broke up with Angela.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, look what's happening to your life?
Speaker 1: And I was into a stable relationship, get back into that's the fold of.
Speaker 4: Because look what's happening with people's like like Dan, and you're going to places like you don't belong there either, Sean.
Speaker 2: He says at one time, like.
Speaker 4: It's a restaurant and so it's just it's so I was sitting there going like this is this is absolutely absurd where you're in college and you're single, you broke up with your girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Look what's happening to your life?
Speaker 3: You go down.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like, oh my god. It was so blatant in this episode.
Speaker 4: I was like, Wow, I can't believe this is the thread they're going with this Without Angela, he might as well be doing Heroin right now, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And that's just to set up what I'm sure will happen. I mean at the end of the episode is like miserable without Angela. His whole life is falling apart. He needs stability.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was that when it was just so blatant in this one, where it was like, oh my god, you've got to be kidding me.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 3: Corey questions, so is this what you broke up with Angela for? To hang out with guys like that?
Speaker 2: This is what you want?
Speaker 3: Sean clarifies, No, I want you to let me live. I'm my own man now and I don't have to answer to anybody. I go wherever I want to go. And then to Panga and Angela walk up giggling amongst themselves. Angela asks where they've been, and Sean quickly answers movie, Babe too, pig in the city, like, oh my god, we talk about it to Penga pouts Corey, you and I were supposed to see that together. We cut to Corey, who has nervously pressed himself up against the wall. Utterly speechless. Sewan assures her that he'll go again. It was a great movie, but he can't stop rambling it's funnier than those mouses. But Corey calmly jumps in. We went to clevage. Sean finishes his line mentioning he doesn't like little pink pigs. Angela crosses her arms with no, I.
Speaker 1: Say that, you know how I like little pink pigs, which is a surprising little joke of.
Speaker 3: Sean finishes is lie, mentioning he does like little pink pigs. Angela crosses her arms. You should because you are one.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, because you went to a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're a single guy who went to a restaurant. You're awful.
Speaker 3: Well, like we were talking about when we're talking about later at the scene in the bathroom, this the idea that there are some people women men. Whoever, some people who just feel like going you can go anywhere to eat. You're not going there because the wings are so good. You're going there because you want to flirt with a woman and have her sit on your lap, and you want to stare at a scantily clad person.
Speaker 2: That makes you and that makes you a bad person.
Speaker 3: There are that is just there are people who feel that way.
Speaker 2: Have you had the wings at Hooters? No, they're phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so but ain't you seemingly like where my brain goes? There is like then the woman who defends the place, right, the woman who comes out of the shower and oh, it's fine.
Speaker 2: She can't be a waitress there.
Speaker 1: She has to be the cook because if she were a waitress there.
Speaker 3: She exactly And when she came to that let her out.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, yeah, we're gonna have a nuanced point to destabilize this this divide.
Speaker 3: But I make so much money. I don't have a single I don't have I don't have any student loans. I pay them all off and to bang wuld be like, great, thank you, this is this is a good perspective. Let me go with you. No, she's a cook.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is so intense all the wa Yes.
Speaker 3: Sean tries to tell Angela it's just a restaurant. She walks to her door, and Sean keeps pleading, hello, drama queen, we're not going out anymore. Remember we're just friends. Angela gives him a fake smile. You're right, you can go wherever you want, and with that, Sean follows her into her room.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see that scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Shut no, I meant, is it not? In this episode?
Speaker 3: We never follow up?
Speaker 4: Calls her a drama queen. There in the middle of the fight. He follows into the room, and that's just the end.
Speaker 3: And then that's just the yep, copy that, and then we're out in the hall now alone. Topega asks Corey can we go inside and talk about this? Corey nervously responds, no, I'd prefer to talk out here because the light is so lovely and you look so lovely, So I think we're gonna stay right out here. And then there's a slight optical flip where the boys door flies open and to Panga flings Corey into the bedroom. All these physically domineering women He admits or here is fine now inside she simply asks, why going back to your point, whell that we never see that scene with them? Why doesn't Sean just say, hey, drama queen, we're not going out anymore. And then she goes into the room and closes the door and he goes up the hallway and their argument isn't dissolved.
Speaker 4: That's it. I do.
Speaker 3: I know that you want us, they want us to be alone in the hallway, but like, why do you have to go into the room and then we never know what happens with that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Also, I felt like Sean calling Angel drama queen as kind of like a dude term was was really out of character and rude.
Speaker 2: And that's the show. She's not in your life anymore. You're turning into a whole different person.
Speaker 3: It's so it's so unnecessary. He could have easily just been like, I don't know why you're hurt, We're not even a couple Like that alone is fine to call her a drama queen. I don't understand Sean it.
Speaker 1: Also, I mean, I think they're trying to set up with the last beat of the episode where it's like Sean is missing Angela and he just can't admit it to himself. But like, that's even stronger if you see him being like, I'm fine, cool, yeah, let her do her own thing. And then the last bead is like, actually I am a little bothered by this, but instead it's like got to have it both ways all the time. It's yeah.
Speaker 3: So te Benga simply asks why, and Corey raises his voice before you say anything, I just want to state that as a man, I am entitled to certain rights and privileges. Mm hmm to Pega knots I understand. Corey continues his declaration. So, as a man, I went with other men and did man things because I do not want to be thought of by those men as how do I put this delicately? To Panga answers whipped, Corey shouts, you could at least let me say it.
Speaker 1: Is a very funny idea that she finishes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wish he hadn't played it like yelling, But if you'd just been, like, if you just let me say, it would have been even funny, because I know, you know, if you'd played it whipped basically, it would have been but this is this is a joke.
Speaker 4: This is the joke they've been going through that They've been doing different versions of this. I mean she she proposed then she was going to put the ring on. He's like, can I at least put the ring on your finger? She is now talking and finishing his sentences. They are setting it up to where, you know, she obviously quote unquote where's the pants in the family, which is such a stupid thing, but it's yeah, it's weird dynamic.
Speaker 3: To Pega's eye, I'm not mad at you, Corey guesses, but you're disappointed to Penga clarifies, I understand your need to be one of the guys. The only thing that's important to me is that we are always honest with each other. Okay, Corey isn't sure what to think. You're not just being understanding now, but actually harboring bitterness and resentment that'll fester over the years until one day you hack me apart in my sleep. Topenga says, no, that would be wrong. Corey nervously laughs it off. I mean, you don't go around hacking people. Tapega calmly shakes her head. No, you don't, Corey wants some more clarification. You think of me as my own man, so I can do anything I want to. Pega answers, I trust you, Corey, do whatever you want. But Corey questions, what if I don't want to? She insists, then you don't have to. Corey shouts good because the food is no good and the service is just crazy to Pega agrees, if you think that's what's best, Corey's giddy. He leans back on the bed with open arms in a huge grin. Now come here and give me some sugar.
Speaker 2: Disgusting, but also this is to me, this is the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: She's literally saying, like, so what was she upset about the dishonesty that he didn't tell her it was fair? Might not have just hair, but also might have just not happened, like didn't he didn't call her before he went to clarage, so he did not so he didn't necessarily do anything wrong. But just tell me, or I guess, tell the truth.
Speaker 2: I mean Corey did.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's no problem, and now like the fact that he took the ring offense up becoming the problem. Correct, and that's why I'm like, why, I just yes, it's a it's a yeah, it's a conflict, a conflict looking for characters to make that conflict work, as opposed to a natural conflict arising from who these characters are and what the situation is correct.
Speaker 3: Correct. Instead, the Banka just walks out of the room through his now pained smile. Corey asques what else is new? Then Louis appears in the doorway, gambling Dan wants to see him, and then gambling Dan just walks up past Louie. Corey points out the obvious, He's right there, you pigeon. Louie can't believe it. He just called me a pigeon. Dan breaks it to him, he is a pigeon. Louie accepts this new title.
Speaker 2: Dan, Yeah, what is he saying?
Speaker 1: Then it's true.
Speaker 3: Dan tells Corey he was the man tonight, he was jealous when the girls crowded him, and he admits he was wrong about Corey. Dan even admires the fact that he finally stopped wearing that stupid ring. Cory stares at his hand in true horror my ring. Then we see a quick flash back to Corey setting his ring down on the napkin dispenser and cleavage Snapping back to reality, Corey says, I gotta stop look into the past. I need to look to the future, which doesn't make any sense in this context. He does need to look to the past because he needs to go, but he needs to figure out where he and then he did, and.
Speaker 1: Then it's just that, like the image is so horrifying that he's like, I just want to look at the future, and then.
Speaker 3: You know, then we flash forward. Corey is peacefully asleep, only to wake up and find Topanga at the foot of his bed. He smiles, but quickly realizes she's holding a hatchet. Corey screams and pants a hatchet or is it like.
Speaker 1: And that is that shot over your shoulder looking down at Corey with the cleaver coming up in giant Oh, that's pretty great, so fun, that's pretty misery. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Now back in the present, he admits the future is also no good, and then we're in the co ed dorm bathroom. Is my least favorite scene of any scene I've ever seen ever in the history of the show, especially for its Panga and Angela well.
Speaker 1: Also like having a conversation about whether women should be able to like undress themselves for men's entertainment while in robes and undressing yourselves and what what like Like it was, it's such a weird like doubling tripling of like confusing messages. I was like, so it's okay for us as a TV show to make a scene where women discuss the value of women. It was just like my head just exploded.
Speaker 3: I was doing it for cleanliness, right, but why.
Speaker 2: Is a TV show?
Speaker 1: Oh so weird? Oh my god, this just hurts my head, hurts my head.
Speaker 3: Angela is sitting on the bench because really, you think, okay, well, where else would they have done this? They would have needed They could have done it in the dorm. Well how would that girl have heard the conversation?
Speaker 2: So it has to be.
Speaker 1: But we'd want to see them in there. Yeah they're yeah, looking good in the robes and the things.
Speaker 3: Well it would yeah, okay. Angela is sitting on the bench talking to Tapanga, who's getting out of the shower. You think, just because you were all understanding, Corey is not going to go back to that place. Tapega is certain. I know he won't. It was a one time guy thing, and it's over Angela's eyes. I bet Sean's back there right now with all the other pervs.
Speaker 1: So this is all taking place in one night, right the episode Like this is insane, Like the amount of cramming that we had to do to make it make sense that it's a multi place in it because like Eric and Jack are still there, Rachel's still there. We go back there, you, we do the tushy dance, then we all go back to the student union. It's like it's like four in the morning by the end of this episode, and all of this has happened in the course of one night. You guys take a shower and then and then I get to put on new clothes, put on new clothing, then go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make the decision to follow the woman who works there.
Speaker 3: Back to let's go there now, even though it just showered.
Speaker 1: From the upset that Corey would ever go back there the same night the same time to get the ring, of course, makes any sense.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, can you go back a little bit. I have a question did they because I tried. I watched it a couple times and I didn't understand if this is what they were saying.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure I'm wrong. I'm sure this is not what they were saying, but didn't they did?
Speaker 4: They make it seem like Topanga came at Corey in a certain way to manipulate him into never going back to Clone.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the other thing is that it was a it was a psychological trick. If I just act like, listen, you are free to do whatever you want. But I know, well, because you know what is at well. I don't say that he comes to it on his own, but by the way, I could see very much that Tapanga already knows this is not the kind of place Corey is comfortable show to Sean. Sean knows that Corey's he says, you blush at the beach. So the idea that Tapanga would think, I can see how peer pressure got to you. And so if every now and then you've got to go to a strip club to be one of the guys, then then that's okay with me. I understand. I don't want I don't want you to feel like you don't fit in with your friends. And he goes, well, he says, well, what if I don't want to, and she goes, then you don't have to. And he goes great, because the food is terrible and the service sucks and she goes, then great, then that's your decision. I'm happy you made it. So it isn't that it's actually a trap, but she does want to no sell it. It's a little like when you're talking to a kid and you go, he doesn't really want to do this thing anyway. But if I act like he can't do it because he's gonna bother me, then he's gonna want to do it. So I'm just gonna say, honey, it's up to you. You're your own person. You can make your own decision and then see where he falls. But yes, the way it is written here, Angela is like, and so you think that because you didn't come down hard on him, that's somehow psychologically tricked him. But it wasn't really a trick. Corey just said, I truthfully, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not comfortable then, But that was my problem. It wasn't what Tapega did in the Tanga Corey conversation. It was the way Angela. Angel addressed it to her, like, hey, good job, make you know, tricking him into not wanting to go back is what it's said, which is.
Speaker 3: Exactly the argument I had about the whether or not it was a trap episode, right, the writers write it both ways. Yes, in this situation, what Tapanga said earlier is not a trap, Corey says, he say, he just repeats what he says to Sean in Club Clevage. I don't really like it here. I'm not comfortable here. If I have to take off my ring, maybe I don't even belong. He says that to her, and then in the next scene, Angela's like, so you think you think you have pulled a fast one on him, and Topenga goes, I sure did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you didn't. Yeah, but you didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Because we have that, I mean, Sue and I have that where she could say to me, you want to go to strip club? Go, because she knows the most uncomfortable place I will ever be in my life is a strip club. But she wouldn't be she'd be doing it with a smile, going like you know you're gonna hate it. It wouldn't be like, oh, I'm doing it to see because I know that you know, there's no They try to make it sound like it was underhanded after the fact.
Speaker 3: Yes, which was exactly which is just I don't appreciate Again, it's the throwing of tapanga under the bus for really no reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corey.
Speaker 3: They could have had the exact same conversation. Angela could have said, so you really think Corey's never going to go back there, and Tabga could have said, it's the least Corey place in the whole world, you know, like, that's that's not what he likes. I know he just wanted to fit in. I don't think he'll ever go back again. And we could about the exact same thing without it needing to be that. I did some psychological mooo.
Speaker 2: Psychological moo is my new favorite thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah to panga size. I guess as long as some women choose to wiggle around half naked, there will be men who go to see them. Angela argues women don't choose to work in a place like that, they're forced into it by circumstances. This pov by both of us sucks.
Speaker 1: Sucks. Yeah, is it?
Speaker 3: Is it possibly true for some people? Absolutely? Are there some people who who who do feel like my circumstances this is the only thing. Blah blah blah. The idea that two women would sit here and say, no woman in her right mind would ever do this because it's what she wants to to do. It's just gross.
Speaker 1: But that's but that's not even as bad as the fact that the woman who rebuts that argument.
Speaker 3: Is exactly it gets.
Speaker 1: It's because that is the biggest cheat to me of like, wait a minute, if she's going to say, look, you don't have your worldview is too too much of a binary. The reality is it's somewhat in between. But then to have her fit into the binary still and be like, actually, I'm only a cook because I ever it's like that is so insulting to both sides of this equation, like just yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: Then another woman pops out of the shower and butts in I work there to penga surprise.
Speaker 2: Joan, you do Joan not jo jo Joan Joan of arc.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, because I need Angela holds up her hand and tells her to stop. You need go no further, my sister, I know the profile, broken home, years of a use, then a child out of wedlock, forcing you into financial chaos and a life of degradation and sin. Angela walks into a shower and closes the curtain. Dramatically, Joan reveals I'm a cook.
Speaker 2: So if she was one of the waitresses.
Speaker 3: It was the story good true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this point of view right, but this doesn't even fit Angela to have that point of view, like I know it doesn't fit her.
Speaker 4: Care Neither of them or are are saying, you know, some women are just strong and that's what they want to do and that's their choice.
Speaker 2: No one has that opinion.
Speaker 3: No one understands that maybe it's one of the jobs where you make a ton of money and that is a choice, Like it's just and fine. Make Topega and Angela not understand it, make them not understand it. Let it be a conversation for them. Let it be where Topega's argument is like Corey, you know, blah blah blah. And Angela could even say, you know, when my experience you, you don't do that because you want to. You must be forced into it, and for then Joe to come out and go, actually, I do it because I've worked a bunch of other jobs and nothing pays me as much money and I'm the hours are flexible, I get to have my days to myself. Whatever whatever it is about it that she loves. I love the music.
Speaker 2: I work with my friends all my work such good friends. There were super close we I mean. But also, by the way, if this conversation is a stand in for sex work, it's.
Speaker 1: Not even sex work. It's not even stripping, it's literally working at the restaurant.
Speaker 2: We correct, how are we dressed sexy? Which is, by the way, what a lot of actresses?
Speaker 3: She more sure than what you wear on the beach? She could say, I actually, I actually wear more clothes than i'm than I would be. Would I even wear less clothes?
Speaker 1: You could fend a nuanced position without having to be a full on like one extreme, But we don't. We can't do it. Our show cannot accept that world.
Speaker 4: Now that really, But it's also writer, what you just said makes so much sense where it's like, so then where all of these actresses. Should they have turned down the role of playing the waitress because they're doing exactly the same. Should the women who are in this scene not be wearing their their robes and towels like this woman whose actress is coming out like our show is literally.
Speaker 2: Doing the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, that it is then trying to argue women should not have to do or that if you only do because of desperation and degradation of self degradation like that is. It's that's what my head just exploded.
Speaker 3: During the scene Yesh, Topanga explains angel is a bit sensitive these days. Is this place really that bad? Joan insists it's harmless. The girls wear more than you'd see them were at the beach. Joan offers, I'm on my way to work right now. You want to check it out? To Panga nods, yeah, I'm kind of curious to see what Corey finds so fascinating, even though Cory just told her he doesn't like.
Speaker 1: It and does it to bond with the guys, when she knows.
Speaker 3: He's doing it because he needed to bond with the guys, So why is she like, huh, well, what does he find so fascinating about this place?
Speaker 4: It's it's like they're writing it scene by scene, forgetting the last scene we just shot.
Speaker 3: Yes, why doesn't every Sean say I want to see what Sean finds so fascinating about the scene and Topanga, Angela.
Speaker 4: And Joan go together to get a burger because because Sean is already down the path of the devil, you can save Cory at this point if you figure out what's going on, but you can't until Angela's back in his life.
Speaker 2: You can't save Sean.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we're back at Club Clevage. Rachel is still sitting at a table with her notebook. I don't understand. We've been here all night, and it's like you two aren't having any fun at all. We reveal she's sitting with Jack and Eric, who both have girls sitting on their laps, but their faces show no signs of happiness. Eric admits, frankly, we are appalled by what's going on here. Jack tells the girl sitting on him, ma'am, I'm not a chair. Rachel assures them, don't let me stop you from having fun. I'm just observing for my paper.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: The waitress on Eric's lap wonders for Yeager's class. Rachel realizes that's why she recognized her and reveals the topic of her paper, women and their influence on male bonding. Eric clarifies there isn't any. Then she tells his waitress to cover up he's trying to eat. She pinches his cheek and leaves him be. Rachel begs them to stop it. All her paper will say is that two guys that she's getting to know very well are inhibited in the presence of their female roommate from behaving normally in a male oriented environment. Jack agrees, thanks to you, we understand women a lot better and hold ourselves to a higher standard for morality. Rachel beams really. Eric agrees, Yeah really, Ever since you moved in, we learned this new maturity, and every time you're around, we're reminded of it. I would like to add here that when men on the Internet or anywhere things like I have a daughter, and so I'm going to I couldn't. I couldn't you know, I have a wife, and therefore.
Speaker 1: The worst defense I've ever heard, Yes, that to.
Speaker 3: Explain it, because I really think that some men feel then really shocked when somebody goes ew. Don't don't say that your relation to another woman shouldn't be the thing that makes you realize their humanity.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you're recognizing one type of one woman, correct, my daughter, my wife, versus the other type of woman, the poor prostitute, strippers, sex worker like that that divide is the problem. Like if you don't see you see one person, one type of woman as a human being worthy of respect the other.
Speaker 3: Ye, it's like and that is what you guys say in the scene, well, it's hard for us to degrade women because now when we look at women, we also think of you, and you've ruined that for us. You're ruined it. You're actively ruining it for us.
Speaker 2: Now, well we saw that with Corey. He when he looked at the waitress, he saw to pega.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, all he apparently wants from Topanga is to see her.
Speaker 2: Give me some Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like starting when you meet somebody and they start their sentence with I'm not a racist, but.
Speaker 3: No, ev what's coming next to.
Speaker 2: Be awful?
Speaker 3: Rachel is flattered, and Eric nods, you should be. Now get out, it's time for the tushy dance. She laughs and tells them to enjoy themselves before leaving. Then we see Corey frantically run into the establishment. He asks the hostess which way is the Lost and Found. She points over there, next to daycare. Corey then notices his waitress from the other night.
Speaker 2: She calls him the groom that night, not the other night.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, Corey notices his waitress from earlier in the evening. She calls him the groom and figures he had such a good time he had to just come back for more. Corey explains that he's back because he left his ring behind, which happened to magically slip off during the festive evening they spent together. The girl wonders if it's in this drawer with all the other rings that happen to come off. Then she dumps hundreds of wedding bands onto the table. Corey quickly sifts through the pile of rings, and a voice sounds over the bar Speakers ladies and gentlemen. Cleavage presents its world famous tushy dance. Everyone gathers in the middle of the room, including Eric and Jack, and the girls start holding their butts and synchronized dancing, a routine the boys seem to know by heart. Then Corey exclaims, my ring, I found it. He jumps up and down with joy, now making his way into the center of the dance floor, where all the girls are around him shaking their butts. He joins in shouting everything worked out, my tush touched hers. He blissfully celebrates and doesn't notice to Panga has walked into the club. As to Panga glances around, Chef Joan proves there's nothing shocking here, but then Tapega spots her fiance and her jaw drops to the floor. She makes a bee line toward Corey, who's now doing some sort of makarena with a woman. She asks what he's doing. Shocked to see her, Corey stops dead in his tracks, but the waitress behind him grabs his arms and moves them to the music. Tapega points out that he's tushy dancing, and Corey says I am not, and Topega rightfully shouts I'm looking at you.
Speaker 2: How does Penga know it's called the tissue dance?
Speaker 3: I heard over the speaker, aren't Did.
Speaker 4: Anybody else also think someone was going to bump into Corey who was going to drop the ring?
Speaker 2: It was going to fall on the ground. It was going to be him like rooting on the ground for the ring. That's where I thought.
Speaker 6: This was going.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 3: Probably would have been better. Corey says it's not him better, yeah, and urges the woman to get off of him, and that's when Tapanga notices he isn't wearing his ring. Why he found it? Why didn't he immediately put it back on? Corey tries to explain himself, but Topanga just takes the ring from his hand and walks away, and later at the student union, Corey walks in and sees Angela. She points him in the direction of the fireplace where Tapanga is sitting alone staring at Corey's engagement ring.
Speaker 1: Beautiful little fireplace.
Speaker 2: Spot. I don't remember that at all. It's cool, he tells her.
Speaker 3: There's a perfectly logical reason for what happened to Penga says she'd love to hear it. Corey assures her she's going to laugh. I didn't go back to that place tonight to do the tushy dance. I only went back because I left my ring on the table and I had to go get it back to Pega asks why would you take off your ring? Corey explains, because they were calling me the major. There are some places where a guy goes where he feels uncomfortable wearing a ring, and most guys don't even wear a ring before they get married, and even some merry guys don't wear rings to Penga reminds him, I never asked you to wear an engagement ring. You saw mine and said pretty, I want one. Corey argues, that's because I didn't expect all the men to hate me for it, but they really do. I stick out at every place they go to poker games, steam baths, cock fights, to Pega.
Speaker 1: Asks just to understand the conflict here, it's like and now, because then she says, you I have feeling the choice to have the thing or to have the ring. So then she could easily say, since since you don't want to wear a ring, and that's fine, don't wear it.
Speaker 3: Don't worrying if she said, listen, Corey, we agreed that if I was going to wear a ring, you were gonna wear a ring. And if the problem is looking like you belong to somebody, maybe you shouldn't belong to somebody, that's fair. Then it'd be then it'd be a conflict. So and some married guys don't wear rings. So you're all right, we're not even married yet, and you're already telling me you don't want an obvious symbol of marriage on your hand. Topeka asks, don't you realize the people you so desperately want to be accepted by would probably rather have what you have? All people just need to be reships, stable relationship, that's what they need.
Speaker 2: You cannot be happy and single. They do not work in the boy Mets world.
Speaker 3: You need no wow. Corey's confused. What do I have to Penga rolls her eyes me. She clarifies, I mean someone who cares about them. That's all the ring is about, Corey, that I have somebody that cares about me. But I care about you, whether you want to wear the ring or you don't. Corey pushes back. If I want to play poker, I'm playing to Penga nods, go play, he continues, and if I want to play me a little touch football on the field with the boys, I'm playing ta Pega encourages him again, you go and run real hard, and Corey continues, and if I want to take my ring off to Penga cuts him off. No, you either wear the ring or you don't. He asks why, and she explains, because I have feelings too, Corey. She holds out the ring toward him, and at the same moment, Dan, Louie, and Sean come waltzing in. Dan announces, Hey, Matthew's poker game my room. Dig this, You're actually invited this time. Louie is excited, and now they're going to play poker.
Speaker 2: What time is that it is? And he must be a student because they because he says, my room. So that's at the local motel.
Speaker 3: Louie is excited. This is great. There's two poker games on the same day. I get my allowance check from my mom.
Speaker 1: So we played poker.
Speaker 2: Where went to the strip club?
Speaker 1: Went back to the strip?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, well but I came back home, went back to the strip club and playing and and Pank is probably gonna take two more showers. Uh Dan laughs. Yeah, ironic, isn't it. As the two walk away Sean joins Corey and to Pang at the fireplace, Corey asks his best friend, are you still hanging out with those guys? Shawn shrugs, Yeah, it's either that or sleep. You coming tonight? Corey smiles, Yeah, save me a seat, But he adds, but if I don't show up, it's probably because I'm having a better time with somebody else.
Speaker 4: That's what I said. Okay, that's super ambiguous. We need four people for poker. Are you coming or are you not coming?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: I need to know. Also, kind of this is a good opportunity for you to say, go go be with the guys. You're good there, go go go sit and play poker with your bros instead of sitting here with me at the fireplace. I've showered and I'm.
Speaker 2: Ready for bed, so you can goower again.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Corey sits back with Topanga and she smiles. He takes the ring from her hand and slips it back onto his finger. Sean watches on and says, good for you guys. Corey reminds him, you know, Sean, you're always invited to hang out with us. Sean nods, I know. Then he turns and sees Angela at the bull table. He sighs and walks right past her, and Angela sadly watches him leave. Cory and Tapanga notice the exchange and are sad to see the current state of their relationship their horrible lives because they're not together.
Speaker 2: Looks like you're walking away from happiness, my friend.
Speaker 3: Wow again, there's no tag.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is probably the most ideologically twisted episode of Boyman's World in that it's twisting itself around all these different concepts that don't work against each other or with each other, and it's like trying to do it all and it just is a confusing mess of from me from scene to scene.
Speaker 4: Like it is it's I have to bleeth this one because I was honestly thinking. I was like, okay, I get people come for us sometimes and they're like, hey, you guys are looking at it from the lens.
Speaker 2: Of now, or you're being overly harsh in the show.
Speaker 4: I don't know how anybody could watch this episode and defend it in any way, shape or form. This is just a bad episode of television, just just a bad episode of Boy Meets World. It's a bad episode, internal logic all the way around.
Speaker 2: It's just bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you all for joining us for this bad episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks to means World.
Speaker 3: You can join us for our next episode recap, which is season six, episode nine, poetic license, an ode to Holden Coffield.
Speaker 4: Oh God, we're here, We're here, Yes poetry okay what rhymes with can't wait?
Speaker 3: The originally aired November twentieth, nineteen ninety eight. As always, you can follow us on Instagram Pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails Pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 4: If I measured me E E s U t R E the amount of merch I had, I would explode E X Y P O.
Speaker 2: L D E E.
Speaker 3: Podmesworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Podmets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com