Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training Camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 1: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered?
Speaker 2: What did I miss yesterday?
Speaker 1: Now here to review today's practice? The writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 3: Well, the Patriots were back at it after a day off, Day ten of training camp, back in shells here at sunny and warm Jillette Stadium. Evan Lazar, Mike do So, Paul Perlo with you. Kind of an interesting day. I thought it was a little bit choppy coming off the day off.
Speaker 2: I thought the.
Speaker 3: Execution was a little little sloppy overall.
Speaker 2: Just I'll let you guys open it up with first impressions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought a little bit more of a I don't want to say, a step back. I think the offense was a little definitely uneven today, and especially the two's David was missing from practice, and I think that that's just that's the big theme for me right now is just the offensive line and the attrition and how much can you really kill the offense at this point with what they're dealing with upfront. But you know that said, couple, you know, middle of the field, eleven sessions, the red zone, long red zone session. Not a lot of production today from the offense and not a lot of like, you know, really well executed passing plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I figured out why Matthew Judon hasn't been practicing. It's because he recx practice when he does practice. So he was out there again today full tilt after reworking his contract that got announced on Friday night, and I had him down for three sacks and maybe like ten snaps that he was out there, and a lot of them came off the right side. I ran a one t and stunt one straight up pass rush on Connor McDermott right around him. So I'm with you on the offensive line. I wanted to be a little bit positive out of the gate and just say the red sleeves are back and they look good and it's amazing how he just stepped right in and it was like he never left for the defense. And I think that that's what you wanted to see, was this defense what it was going to look like and how the pieces were going to fit together, And we got a little bit of that today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with you too, on the offensive line, you know, with you know strange. Now Andrew's out and we haven't seen a WINU yet, so the whole three start, you know, projected starters on the inside are out. But to Evan's point, it was the edges that you know, it seemed to be the issue with Jude On, but I thought that really kind of took away mac Jones and Bailey z appy. I didn't think they either one of them had a lot of really good opportunities to sit back, get on the back foot in the pocket and let one rip. They did a few, and there was some There was some good balls occasionally, but they were few and far between. I did think the defense had a strong date. I thought Gonzales was much more active today than what we've seen I thought the last couple of days, and I was kind of worried, like is he kind of slipping down? You know, I know it's early, but sometimes you're getting camp and it's it's tough, it's a grind.
Speaker 2: But he was.
Speaker 3: He was really around the ball today. The interception was like a ridiculous athletic play. I mean, now you could look that two ways. Great play by Gonzales, no matter how you look at it, but the other the other one. And this is something I've been noticing a lot more of just receivers in the same spot. I see it more and more. I saw it several times today and one of our guys, Taekwon Thowton, seems to be involved with a lot of those those times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think another just point out athletic play Mike Kasiki, nice one handed catch along the along the sidelines Gabil Peppers was funny after practice saying, hey, we got to go to the table.
Speaker 2: We'll see if he came down with it.
Speaker 4: But but a real nice athletic play from Kasiki. I thought had a couple you know, starting to maybe I don't want to say overstated, probably best practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, start to.
Speaker 4: Stand out a little bit, and you know, starting to show some of that, you know, just kind of unique body type athleticism that he has. So I think that's you know, good sign that that he's starting to show a little bit too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. On the interception for Gonzalez, it was Kaishan Boudi and to Mario Douglas in the same area, two rookie receivers. You think maybe there was a little bit of a miscommunication or they ended up too close to each other. Like Paul was saying, it looked like it was a post wheel, and you would just sort of like to see Douglas clear it out a little bit more, you know, and that up the field and get out of the picture a little bit faster than he did. But I think what's interesting about Gonzales is that we've seen him make some more plays on the ball, whereas last week it felt like he just was a little bit of a tick slow at the anticipation when the ball was coming his direction and he was around the area. It wasn't like he was getting burned, but he wasn't making plays on the football. Today he started making some plays on the ball. But one positive I did think from the offense, that forty yard pass from Mac Jones to DeVante Parker was the highlight of the day.
Speaker 2: And boy, it's what he does. Yes, that's what he do. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I thought it was progress because you know, last week we saw Mac Jones Devonte Parker split two safeties a corner in a safety excuse me, on a deep post and Mac tried to lead him into the back of the end zone and Parker's just not fast enough to catch up to the football. So this time he just put it on a silver platter for him over Jack Jones and allowed Devonte Parker to go up and climb the ladder and pluck the ball out of the air. That's how he's going to win. He had Jack Jones on his back throwing him or leading him into the end zone. That causes him to have to catch up to the football instead of just high pointing it and doing what he does best. So I like that little bit of progress with the chemistry that he's now throwing it to a spot for DeVante Parker versus trying to lead him into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would agree that was clearly the play of the day, and it was kind of like a two minute drill and I think it was one of those, you know, sort of desperation kind of plays, but the execution was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, there was like thirteen seconds left on the clock. Yeah, Mac had just spiked it to stop the clock. Maybe they were down four, Maybe that was the situation.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think you're right, and I think it may not have had to be in the end zone. That's well, like a lot of times those plays like, well, you know, they just kind of throw it up there and one day they're supposed to catch it.
Speaker 2: One day the defense is supposed to knock it down.
Speaker 3: But this play I thought actually was pretty close to normal, like a real play. And you know, again, depending on which side you're you're hoping looks good, it's good play for the offense, not such a good play for Jack Jones, but yeah, it was. It was definitely the play of the day. Mike, you have you don't have to raise your hand, Mike, you can just make open.
Speaker 4: And I I just thought I wanted to make sure we mentioned Jonathan Jones was missing from practice.
Speaker 3: So Ti Montgomery, Matthew Slater, Jonathan Jones, David Andrews cole strange with a five that we're not seeing interesting with Jones and Slater did not dress for the in stadium practice Friday night. You wonder if Bill's just sort of given those guys an extended veteran kind of rest. I don't know or or I'm not aware of anything that Jonathan Jones or Slater is dealing with, but you know, well, we'll keep an eye on it. The next two days was kind.
Speaker 2: Of a theme.
Speaker 5: Guys gets here and there, we're getting into the into the real, the real dreads of training camp. Now I don't like that other phrase, so I'm trying to think of a different phrase, the dog days. You don't like dogs. Yeah, that's why I don't like dog days. That's doors because it makes you half dogs. No, I just I don't know. I feel like there's a negative contation.
Speaker 3: One other thing that I that I noticed, and I don't have anything, Well, two things I should say. The defense at one point I think was guilty of maybe not being on the same page substitution and wise Bill sent the entire defense for a lap, So that was, you know, sort of noteworthy. But the other thing, and I don't know have any idea what it means or what they were talking about. But Bill Belichick and Bill O'Brien spent I saw that about ten minutes after practice, maybe more, just the two of them talking at length.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. Maybe it's like, you know, you call that an offense.
Speaker 3: I do think that's how the conversation goes.
Speaker 5: I'm not trying we have no idea what was no So that's why I'm not trying to speculate. But you mentioned at the beginning that there was a little bit more of receivers on top of each other and spacing issues today and timing issues today. And you do wonder if he said to hey, they were talking about, Hey, let's not let these bad habits become regular habits. Right Like we saw a little bit of this today. We had were really on a good upward trajectory last week, you know, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, I looked like strong practices or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, I should say, let's not let this creep in where all of a sudden, we're letting this stuff go because we got a couple good days of practice.
Speaker 2: Mike anything else, No, I'm good. I think I just clocked in.
Speaker 4: Marcus Jones was out there, you know, getting reps again on the outside kind of for Jonathan Jones.
Speaker 2: So this is kind of a rotation that they're doing.
Speaker 4: No Jack Jones really out there, so it's between him Miles Bryant. They're kind of just experimenting with those two guys. But hopefully Jonathan Jones is back soon.
Speaker 2: I think he's imporn.
Speaker 3: Piece way down to two more training camp podcasts that we have Monday Tuesday, the final two days that the public will be allowed into practice.
Speaker 2: So it's like basically two weeks and.
Speaker 3: That's all she wrote. So we will be back tomorrow with Day eleven.