Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith Steak is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And them and tie Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful Chicago, Illinois. The man with the Plan, the one and only.
Speaker 2: To Andrewsteine, Sir, how are you very little in the way of a plan. But I did just eat Korean fried chicken, and I did just go to a restaurant supply store to re up all of the pizza supplies I need because I keep getting more and more friends and family and neighbors making orders and I don't know if I have the time to make them all, but I'm gonna try, so I'm planning on doing that. But I also came up with a plan for today's show, yes pretty happy about and I did it last week, so I've had a bunch of time to get ready for it. And also, I don't know if you had an opportunity to do this, because I didn't tell you to, and I think I should have because if I if you're not told to, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I was not instructor to do so there's a near zero percent chance that I did.
Speaker 2: There were spring quote unquote games played over the weekend. I don't know if you had a chance to watch any of them in full or in highlight packages.
Speaker 1: I knew that they were occurring. Okay, that's a good first step, but that's the extent of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know how much you missed or didn't miss, because it just sort of confirmed a lot of things. I mean, we assumed Bryce Young was going to be at least very good when given the opportunity to start at quarterback for Alabama. It turns out really good. It looks really good in whatever setting and however much stock you put in the Alabama spring game. Also, I learned that I think it's ja Quincy McKinstry is you know, an up and coming defensive back has a nickname of kool Aid.
Speaker 1: Okay, so oh yeah, there was that.
Speaker 2: There was one point where Nick Saban said, get off the goddamn field, kool Aid.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: So that's good. And Alabama has a bunch of really good players. C. J. Stroud looked like the better of the quarterbacks saw for the starting role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the Ohio State quarterback situation. Seems like it's a good shape. Like they all looked pretty decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the freshman got on it. It got in on some some reps to Kyle McCord. I guess, right shirt freshman whatever he is. And then I watched some of LSU Max Johnson look sharp and uh, Keaton Slovis looked sort of up and down for USC. But again, this is you know, spring games. He's in that he's gonna be the starting quarterback for USA. Don't know how much that performance meant because a lot of the times these quarterbacks are sort of trying to push the ball more than they normally would because there are no real repercussions if you have the starting role locked up.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, more to come, more to come on that front, certainly, I have more.
Speaker 2: I have more like two minutes worth of highlights to watch for multiple schools, because that's about all I can take spring games solid two minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to have to dive in as well, and we will cover that at some point here in the very near future. But this frankly, is an idea. As you said, you came up with it last week, which never happens, especially what is it mid April. We came up with an idea last week that we're going to execute now like that does not happen.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean it's a good idea, not an idea.
Speaker 1: No, But in sv HQ, this is not something that typically occurs. You came up with the idea kind of around NBA JAM in this case it is CFB JAM. And what we've done here is, with some help from the internet, we went out. We pulled people to see what their favorite duos were. And there's a catch here, which I'll let you explain, but we basically have NBA JAM style teams for thirty two. We came up with more. We couldn't include them all thirty two Power five schools, and we're going to go through matchup by matchup and break it down.
Speaker 2: Now it's completely subjective. We one hundred percent forgot to include certain players that we should have included about, you know, regarding these schools or combinations that would have been better than what we came up with. And we expect you to harass us about everything that we messed up or omitted, so essentially what I wanted to do just because I've seen you know, I think homage or homage whatever wears excuse me, produces those NBA JAM style shirts. But like you can get it with like Michael Scott and Dwight Shrewt NBA JAM. See they changed it to another thing. But also because the draft is coming up and we are sort of laser focused. By we, I don't mean we, but we as a people, an as a football DORC people are most laser focused on those first round talent types. And what seems to separate the first round talents from the rest of the draft is these are the players that arouse your college football brain. These are the players that tighten your emotional football pants. Does that make sense to you time it does.
Speaker 1: I did not expect that left turn, but continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you didn't expect that left turn from me after all these years. So basically I have a randomizer. We have a list of thirty two. We couldn't come close to including every school and every incredible player and or combination of players, but we have thirty two because it's there's only a limited amount of time on this podcast and thirty two combinations of players at associated positions. Associated positions for this purpose means a quarterback and a running back, or a receiver or a tight end, so somebody a quarterback would hand the ball off to or throw the ball to. A pairing of offensive linemen, you know, a tackle and a guard, a tackle and a center, so an outside offensive lineman and an interior lineman. And then on defense, an interior lineman and an edge or you know, defensive end whatever, and then inside linebacker, outside line back, safety, corner. So those are the associated positions. So like if we were doing PITT and you said Aaron Donald Shady McCoy.
Speaker 1: Which I did do because I still don't understand the rules, and you're counseling me through this.
Speaker 2: Yes, they don't play associated positions. They're not a tag team duo, right, Like you're not getting Aaron Donald won play and then Shady McCoy the next, right, So they're not a duo. They happen to be on the same team, but they're not working in tandem in the way that you would want in this made up game that I made up last week.
Speaker 1: Right, But that being said, we have people write in about what about Russell Wilson and Melvic Gordon that would count?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm saying mixing and matching eras is incredible. I think that is a great what if element to this exercise. So we've got a list here, as we said thirty two, you've got a number randomizer and we are just going to pick some of these out of a hat. Did you want me to keep track of them somehow on this dot please?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: All right, So we're going between one and thirty two. Do you have any housekeeping you want to take care of? I mean you should go to Verballers dot com forballers dot com doing there is the Patreon.
Speaker 1: We are doing our best to keep the content flowing. Also going out to newsletter dot Sliverble dot com where you can sign up for the newsletter that we're gonna send out and additionally follow along on social media. I think I say that every show, But we're going to be doing some fun stuff here over the next few months as we get a little bit close to the season, getting a little bit bigger in the window, and believe it or not, it is something we're starting to think about. We also have some cool stuff that we're planning, I believe for the month of May. If you look at the calendar, yeah, correct month of May. So stay tuned. We've got fun stuff coming.
Speaker 2: But that's all I have, Dan, Okay, so I'm gonna start. Okay, you ready? So the first random number between one and thirty two, the first matchup, the first duo is number fourteen. Number fourteen is Anthony Barr and Mile Jack. Okay, so an outside linebacker, sort of an edge rusher. Anthony Barr was very destructive the early twenty tens and Miles Jack same era. Miles Jack actually ended up playing running back for UCLA. Some went two ways, but he himself was a crazy athlete, a high draft pick. And this was at the absolute apex of UCLA's defensive dominance, which didn't last for very long, but they did have an excellent defense for a couple of years there. So that's your first killer duo they are taking on you ready, yes, generate number five tie. So that UCLA linebacker duo against Marcus Mariota and d Anthony Thomas who did overlap at the University of Oregon. And I did have an alternate of like kve On Thibodeaux and DeForest Buckner, which is pretty crazy. But essentially, if you were starting a football team or you were facing a football team. If you're starting a football team, who arouses your college football sense is more or who are you more scared of? If the other team has that.
Speaker 1: Duo, I think I go Mariota and de Anthony Thomas because in thinking back to that team, they were so dynamic. That was right in the height of the Chip Kelly era, and there was so much creativity in that offense, so much explosion. The way that they used the Anthony Thomas and that offense was so damn fun. I mean, they used him as a slot receiver, they used him out wide, they use him in the backfield, a lot of motion. It was just always something to please your college football brain. That was super exciting to me. So I have to go with Oregon here, despite the fact that Miles Jack was really damn fun in college. That was a story that we covered if you'll recall time and again, Miles Jack playing him all over the field, the way that they used him was so much fun. But for me, it's I gotta go Oregon here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a Heisman winner, you have the all purpose talent and Anthony I'm going to Oregon. I mean, you have one hundred yard speed with both Mariota and d Anthony Thomas. That's scarier and I just I have to make it personal to me that arouses me unlike many other of these names, because I'm an Orgon fan. Okay, So they would.
Speaker 1: Say of all of these, of all of these here that we've got in front of us, Mariota and de Anthony Thomas would be top five for me. Like if I were going through and picking an NBA Jam team. Okay, my team was always a Charlotte Hornets. I was a Lonza Morning, I was Muggsy Bogues.
Speaker 2: Oh not Larry Johnson.
Speaker 1: And Larry Johnson. Yeah, those three guys that that was my team always in forever. Sometimes I would mix and match with little Patrick Ewing and John Starks and jump around, but Mariota de Anthony Thomas would be in my top five. Easy.
Speaker 2: All right, you're ready for the next matchup, so Oregon moves on. All right, we are doing number ten, which is.
Speaker 1: Who Number ten is Wisconsin. So you've got a as a selection here to make. You've got written down Joe Thomas and Travis Frederick, which was that was submitted, Yeah, submitted and formidable. I don't see how you can't go Russell Wilson and Melvin Gordon here as like your your alpha of those two pairings.
Speaker 2: Well, there are very few in this listing incredible offensive line duos. This is one of them, Travis Frederick and terior lyman Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer left tackle. Do you think that Russell Wilson super Bowl winner one year with Wisconsin, but was incredible, incredibly efficient and productive. Melgore, of course was record breaking. Do you think you are more scared you would say of Russell Wilson and Melgore, Okay, then we'll go. Then we'll go with that duo instead. We acknowledge that duo of Joe Thomas and Travis Frederick, but we're going in the more lethal offensive direction they're taking on number twenty four. Randomly, number twenty four is RG three and Kendall right RG three, so same era.
Speaker 1: R G three, whoa RG three in college was unstoppable. Heisman winner in his own right, but he was unstoppable. I feel like the tandem of Russ and melgre is a little higher level than RG three and kendall Right. Even though Kendall no disrespect to kendall Right, he was awesome as well in college. But for me, it's Russ, Russ and Melgore.
Speaker 2: Now, are you letting the NFL success seep in?
Speaker 1: I will probably show some bias in that regard, yes, But in this case.
Speaker 2: Because RG three had an incredible rookie year, he got hurt and he was never the same.
Speaker 1: I think for me the reason that I wouldn't go Baylor here is because of kendle Right. I feel like Russ and Mail Gore is kendle Right was so good. I know, I know he was good. They're all good. That's why they're on this list, right, Russ and Meilgre to me is higher level an RG three and kendle Right.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going RG three. I think I'm going RG three because of the danger factor. No pun intended with danger. Russ the danger factor with RG three in his legs, Like you can't say track speed for a lot of fast dudes, you can say track speed. He ran for the Baylor team. I think he won like the big twelve hurdles as a high school senior. So that element paired with the creativity and the lethal element of that offense as opposed to the offense which was very, very good and very strong that Wisconsin ran. I'm going RG three because I would be more scared as a safety or middle linebacker taking on an RG three team with that duo than I would be withlaur and Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: So we've got a split decision. Can we flip a coin. Let's let's flip a coin.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll hit the randomizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, odd, I'll say even. Is Wisconsin odd as Baylor?
Speaker 2: Yeah? RG three three is odd? Okay, here we go. It is six, So Wisconsin Wisconsin the nod. Okay, not a bad choice, all right, so we'll stick with number six. Number six is Auburn. Another difficult choice here.
Speaker 1: This is one where I wanted to go with Cam Newton and Bo Jackson.
Speaker 2: You said, no, that's yeah, that's we've got to do since two thousand. That's that's the other Cats the rules.
Speaker 1: So fair enough, fair enough, We've got some interesting interesting here.
Speaker 2: So I have Cam Newton plus either Trey Mason or Anthony Schwartz. Anthony Schwartz is not the best pure receiver that has played at Auburn. These last twenty one years. He is the scariest receiver that Auburn has had with the ball in his hands. And so that's why I included that name. Another legitimate track speed and Trey Mason has been got to go Trey Mason unless you want to go Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown. Well, Trey Mason really fun. Yeah wow, Okay, Trey Mason ran for three hundred plus yards against a good MISSOO defense and an SEC championship.
Speaker 1: They gave him the ball I got gazillion times that season. Yeah, okay, who is Auburn going against? We can sort this out, Okay, Auburn and so oh. I alternately I had Carl Lawson and Derek Brown, which was submitted in which would be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Or you could do Carl Lawson, Nick Fairley. I still have nightmares.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: There, So Auburn's facing off against do we already do number fourteen? We already did number fourteen? UCLA will generate again number twenty seven? Tie that's usc oh wow. So it's either what a matchup do we have here? Either Carson Palmer Matt Lionert, or I suppose Matt Barkley and Reggie.
Speaker 1: Bush has to be Reggie Bush, and I think it has to be Liner.
Speaker 2: So from a productive and winning standpoint, linerd is obvious from an ability physically, That's where it gets trickier. Sam Donald is scarier physically. Matt Barkley has definitely a bigger arm and had a bigger had bigger individual seasons personally, and Carson Palmer had an enormous arm and he just was not paired necessarily with the defense that Matt Liner was the USC defense. Now you could go other side of the ball as well. There's all sorts of incredible defensive linemen and linebacker duos and corner safety duos. But in terms of pure college football arousal, it's hard to make the case for any single USC player above Reggie Bush. And now you're saying Reggie Bush, you're saying a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look, I take your point on Carson Palmer. I take your point on Matt Liner.
Speaker 2: You want to go, you know, Leonard Williams, Darrell Casey. I'll listen to that. But listen, listen, Reggie Bush. Listen, He's hold your breath.
Speaker 1: Scary, Matt Lionert, Reggie Bush. That USC team captured all of our imaginations. It has to be Matt Liner and Reggie Bush. No offense to Carson Palmer. It has to be Liner and Bush. That was a near dynasty in college football for a few years running.
Speaker 2: Do you think Matt Lionert's NFL career Not that we're taking it into account based on what he did or didn't do it as an NFL quarterback, but does that make you view his college career more of a game manager than stand out scary quarterback, being that he was surrounded by.
Speaker 1: The level of talent he was. Well, I don't look, he made incredible throws, he was so huge game he was so good in college. And we have quarterbacks like this every year who are very good in college and they don't their game doesn't translate to the pros, right, And that's fine. So I don't know. I think I am able to separate out the NFL from the college and I just remember Winer and Bush together on that team. It was ridiculous. So I am going to have a hard time picking anybody over Liner and Bush. It's interesting though, that we've got this Auburn matchup.
Speaker 2: So Cam Newton, well, you have the single most physically talented player perhaps in college football history, in Cam Newton.
Speaker 1: Yea, Cam Newton was ridiculous in his own right. I don't know if he's got the compliment in Trey Mason, certainly not in Anthony Schwartz's exciting, but doesn't rise to this level.
Speaker 2: Brown, Cadillac, whoever you want, Ricardo Lewis Nick Fairly.
Speaker 1: If you went Nick Fairly with another member of the defensive line over these past few years with Auburn, that's compelling to me as well. Because Nick Fairley was borderline unblockable. You know that as an Oregon fan, correct, I think I gotta go Liner and Bush. I just to me, it's no brainer, you gotta go Liner and Bush.
Speaker 2: Well, So then here let me ask, let's let's eliminate the duo element. If nobody is matching up on either side, Reggie Bush or Cam Newton, if Notre Dame is facing Reggie Bush.
Speaker 1: Reggie Bush.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Well, Oregon did do a fairly good job, no pun intended job, of stopping Cam Newton in that National Championship game. I'm going to go Reggie Bush as well. I'm going to go Ready. It's just an impossible decision. It's impossible.
Speaker 1: He's forever going to be like this legend in the college game. And not to say Cam wasn't. Cam was incredible. Cam, you know, altered the course of Auburn football. But man, that Reggie Bush. I sound like an old head now, but that that, to me was just like that. If anything captured my imagination from a college football standpoint more, I don't know what it would be that that Reggie Bush team with Liner Man that was and the Rose Bowl against Texas. I know we've got Texas on here, we're going to talk about Vincent, you had Jamal Charles, Like, I don't know. To me, it's just it's hard to pick anyone over these two.
Speaker 2: So then would you say Trey Mason or Matt Liner?
Speaker 1: Probably Liner? Okay, Yeah, I think it's got to be Liner.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Number eleven, do you agree with that? By the way, would you go usc As well?
Speaker 1: No? I would I would go Cam Newton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go Cam Newton because when your quarterback is just a more important position. Reggie Bush depended on an offensive line. Reggie Bush depended on receivers to block down field, and he depended on you know Matt Lioner getting him the ball when he would line up as a receiver, so he was dependent enough. Whereas Cam Newton with the ball in his hands, you think you've stopped Auburn for a drive on fourth and four and he falls forward for a first down, he has seventy five yard speed as we saw that. I mean, you don't have to prove out that Cam Newton. What I There is something about an unstoppable quarterback that started for one year and didn't lose a game and won the Heisman and national championship, that is always going to be inherently just a little bit scarier than any other position.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I'm making up a new rule in the fly here. I'm going to say that we each get we each get two golden tickets wherever rides. Okay, we can override the other. I'm going to use one here to go.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's no strong, strong argument for Cam over Reggie Bush unless you just feel that way. You're like, okay, that's I agree. Okay, so number eleven is our first one. Okay.
Speaker 1: By the way, with this new rule in mind, would you like to go back and alter the course of that Wisconsin Baylor matchup. We decided that on a coin flip penalty kicks No, Okay, I think I'm gonna pass. Okay, moving on, where are we going next?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay? Number eleven Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans oh Man who put up about thirty eight thousand yards against Alabama man over the course of a couple of years. Nobody is not holding up their end of that duo bargain.
Speaker 1: No, that's an incredible tandem.
Speaker 2: Mike Evans size of an athletic tight end and the speed of a receiver, and was unguardable for his time at text saying am a Johnny Manzel of course legend in a way that very few are in the sport. And our second duo number is we've already done number ten, our second duo number. Let's regenerate number thirteen former conference mates.
Speaker 1: Texas town Effects Pat Mahoney and Michael Crabtree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the no brainer in terms of is that there can't be another player, right, Like, there's not another quarterback, there's not another position group, there's not another receiver. It's these two.
Speaker 1: There has to be Yeah, I mean, I'm trying to think if there's anybody else I'd throw in the mix there.
Speaker 2: I mean, you want to walk on freshman Baker Mayfield. He was not on the level of Patrick Mahomes by the end of Patrick Mahomes's career as a freshman.
Speaker 1: I think, guys, Graham Harrell, that would be the only thing. But I feel like you'd probably be doing yourself at the service if you went Graham Harrell over Pat Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Now, Graham Harrell was a really strong system air raid quarterback. Patrick Mahomes was a star special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'll go Mahomes. I'll go Mahomes. So we've got Wow, this is good. We've got Mahomes and Crabtree versus Manziell and Evans. To me, the answer feels very obvious here, but I want to give you the opportunity to go first. I'm going to Dinny Manzellen. It's like an no.
Speaker 2: Brain right, Yeah, are toughing, You're comparing two other worldly outer space astronaut duos. But there's something about Johnny Manziel's specific college career that Patrick Mahomes sort of kept developing as a pro. And obviously Johnny manzel did not work out as an NFL quarterback for all sorts of reasons, but as a college quarterback, the lore and danger of Johnny Manziel as incredible as Patrick Mahomes was as a college quarterback and as Michael Crabtree was maybe the all time greatest freshman receiver of all time. I'm the physical scariness of Mike Evans paired with the unpredictability and lethal element of Johnny Manziel, at least when he wasn't playing LSU. I'm going with the Aggies here.
Speaker 1: I think you got to go Aggies. By the way, I've noticed here in your sheet that there's a numbering issue, and Georgia is not with a number.
Speaker 2: What's so give them a number.
Speaker 1: We'll give them. Okay, they'll be.
Speaker 2: Here, hold on, heah, here we go, I'll here.
Speaker 1: We'll move, I'll move into the bottom. Okay, they can be our play and team at the very end, I'll continue.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're ready for the next random number. Okay, here we go. Oh man, I'm actually kind of nervous. Number two another. This is an impossible one that we're just gonna have to make a ruling on. The duo is the Florida Gators?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So you probably if you're gonna go with a quarterback as good as Kyle Trask was, there's something that's a little bit scarier, even though he's not as good of a thrower. About Tim Tebow, it's got to be Tibo as that bowl rushing danger, It's got.
Speaker 1: To be t Bow, and it's got to be Percy Harvin.
Speaker 2: Got Well, it's Percy Harvin over Kadarius Tony because Caadarius Tony is a Percy Harvin type. Because Percy Harvin is the prototype correct in Florida speed annals h. Kyle Pitts is a tight end and not like really any other tight end we've seen recently. So you that case is he's something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's not gonna fall in deaf fiars. It's a It's a very strong case for Kyle Pitts. But again, much the way I was a sucker for Mariota and d Anthony Thomas. Yeah, de Anthony Thomas falls into that Percy Harvin vain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a versatility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was Percy Harvin after Percy Harvin. Right, So I gotta go t Bow and Harvin here as my duo. Who else you have here?
Speaker 2: You have to well, I mean you could go like Carlos Dunlap and Sharie Floyd. There's guys all over you know you Amad Black was terrific at safety. They've had this history of incredible corners, you know, like you tease Tabor, like all these guys these past twenty years, they've CJ Henderson. There are a number of guys that have, especially in that defensive backfield. But pure scariness. I mean they won a national championship with defensive end. I'm still going right now, I'm still gonna be that romantic and go t.
Speaker 1: Bohart, Gotta go Tebo Harvin. All right? Who they going against?
Speaker 2: T Bow and Harvin are facing off against number that we already do, number twenty seven. We already did number twenty seven. Do we already do number twenty eight? We did not. This is another This is a great one. This is a heavyweight match.
Speaker 1: This is this is what it's all about right here.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, I want to go with my alternate, which I think you are going with as well. So just because it's too easy to compare the same position duos so lsu, I think it's relatively obvious if you're going to go offense, it's probably Joe Burrow and Obj Okay. I would listen to Leonard Fournette. Those Bama games pretty ridiculous. Those Bama games weren't great. You can go Jamar Chase, who just won the Blittnikoff, which is I believe award they give to pretty good receivers, and they obviously have that connection. But in terms of special I mean, was Jamar Chase a more special receiver than Obj at LSU? Hard to know because he was playing in a much better system, much.
Speaker 1: Better system, much more receiver friendly.
Speaker 2: With a better quarterback as well. Yeah, but the natural talent of Obj is off the charts.
Speaker 1: It's off the charts. Yeah, that's that whole If you go back, and I'm sure LC fans have, if you go back and look at the receiving talent that some of those teams had that they did not fully harness, it's ridiculous. It's a total indictment of the old system.
Speaker 2: Now, I also have down here just because it's a duo that basically nobody else in the sport can replicate. Patrick Peterson and Honey Badger Tyron Matthew.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Honey Badger is another one who captured imagination, isn't he.
Speaker 2: So there's the versatility, there's the return game. There's special teams lining up in different places on the field. You know, it's safety in the slot, you know, slot corner or whatever. Nicol he was all over the place, played outside corner. Some I also have Devin White and Kwan Alexander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a case there, but it's not nearly as strong as Joe Burrow with either OBJ or Fournette or Patrick Peterson with Honey Badger.
Speaker 2: What about Glenn Dorsey and like Tyson Jackson or Sam Montgomery or Barhevius Mingo. Glen do was borderline the Kreisman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, man, I think I think it's one of those first two. It's either Burrow or Fournette, OBJ or OBJ or Patrick Peterson in Honey Badger.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Patrick Peterson Honey Badger. I'm gonna use my override because really for this, Yeah, I'm for this. I'm gonna use my override here one because I want to get some variety in these matchups. I mean, not.
Speaker 1: Different, pick a different team to get variety from. Man, this, I mean you're gonna go against Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm asking you what is what is better to find l us your football these past twenty years, lethal offense or incredible speed and talent on defense?
Speaker 1: I mean over that it's definitely been more a story of defense. But the biggest story of all was a once in a generation team led by Joe Burrow. Sure, if you want to use your override, you can go ahead and use it. I would go.
Speaker 2: I would go Burrow and Fournette. If it were me Burrow Fournette over Burrow and obij are Chase.
Speaker 1: I would go Burrow Fournette because Burrow was unstoppable and so is Fournette. Obij was ridiculous in college, but he was not nearly the larger than life figure in college as he became the NFL.
Speaker 2: Okay. Leonard Fournette twenty fifteen has thirty one yards against Alabama on the ground. Leonard Fournette twy fourteen has nine yards on the ground on five carries against Alabama. And in twenty sixteen, which I believe he was beat up some had finished his career with three straight double digit rushing games a zero against Alabama zero points. He had seventeen carries to thirty five yards and then in a ten point performance LS losing sixteen to ten, twelve rushes for forty yards against Florida Gators. Right, that comes after going for two eighty four against Ole miss that stretch.
Speaker 1: Right, So that is an element to me. All right, Okay, so we're going with You're gonna go with defense.
Speaker 2: Then I'm going Pat Pete and Honey Badger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way, I don't think we can go over t Bow and Harvin. I don't see how you could pick any duo, especially this duo over t Bow and Harvin. T Bow another once in a generation quarterback. The offense that he ran with Percy Harvin was fun as hell to watch. Honey Badger outstanding, versatile. Again I keep saying captured imagination, but he did. With his versatility. Patrick Peterson was good. I don't did he have the star power of a Tim Tebow.
Speaker 2: That's a different It's not as glamorous a position.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I think you gotta go Tbo Harvin here. I don't. It seems like a no brainer to me.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna go Tebo Harvin as well. I do want to point out one thing that's actually going against I guess Patrick Peterson and Honey Badger. These are the quarterbacks in twenty twelve or twenty eleven that els was facing. I mean it's Tyler Wilson, Aaron Murray, Aj mcceron, John Brantley, Connor Shaw, Randall Mackie, Jordan Rodgers, Chris Ralph, Chris Ralph. Now Elsie wasn't going against Jared Lee, but in some ways they were Clint Moseley, Morgan Newton. Okay, so not a quarterback heavy era in the sees. Okay, twenty twelve we do get Johnny Manzel, you get doctor Bo, Tyler Russell, more, Jordan Rodgers, he finally get Zach Mettenberger at LSU, Connor Shaw, you get casual dress, James Franklin entering into the league. But I think it's yeah, I think it's it's t bow and person.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be it's gotta be. All right, We're gonna have to break this up into two parts. I hope you're okay, is that true? The show? The show we're gonna have to break up.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we'll go through the first round. Now, we'll do the first round. Yeah, subsequent rounds. Okay, so we need random numbers, right.
Speaker 1: Random numbers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, here we go number.
Speaker 1: Four Penn State. Oh this is good.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, this is There are a lot of options on both sides of the ball here, Yes you want to go, Dan Connor, Paul pud Lesny, pause Lesny, Michael Parsons. I there's options.
Speaker 1: I think you gotta go. It's either Michael Robinson and Saquon or Trace in Saquon and I could probably be convinced either way. But who is their opponent? Please don't tell me Notre Dame please?
Speaker 2: In terms, uh, well, the random number, it's gonna come up. It's coming up as twenty two Texas. Vince Young, Jamal Charles.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is good. This is good.
Speaker 2: Dan, what tone you have?
Speaker 1: I think it's gotta be.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about when we mentioned Cam Newton, you're talking about the the unmatched physical talent Vince Young is in that conversation.
Speaker 1: I of course I know, of course, I think it's got to be Trace and Saquon. If I'm picking, I think I go Trace and Okay, defend this point, Defend what point? Defend why he's like the winningest quarterback in program history. So you're taking Trace mcsorlely over Vince Young. No, no, no, no, no, no, no no no, I'm taking over Michael Robbins. Michael Robins, I'm not taking I'm not taking Pinstate over Vince Young. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Michael Robinson ended his career probably on a higher notes with who I think it was. Galen Hall was the Penn State offensive coordinator back then, so not nearly as open a system. Even though it was Ricky Ronnie Right who finished out Trace mcsorley's career. Michael Robinson, scarier, runner bigger, was eventually an NFL fullback, similar passing numbers his senior year in mcsorley's final season, but yeah, Trace, The height of Trace McSorley as a quarterback was certainly higher than Michael Robinson's and Saquon Barkley seems like the most physically impressive Penn State player of these past twenty years. Twenty years that it's seen an incredible number of you know, guys up front on defense.
Speaker 1: Defensive talent. Yeah, yeah, for sure, it's.
Speaker 2: It's Sakwan's the guy that pops.
Speaker 1: Saquon pops, but nobody pops more than Vince Young. But Vince Young did at Texas. He single handedly won a national championship for Texas. Wanhorns had a good team around him set out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what single handedly, but that game he was a force of nature for suit I will the team willed.
Speaker 1: Them to victory in that game. Yeah, in the Rose Bowl. So I look, I don't care who you pair Vince Young with. Vince Young's got to be got to be moving on to the next round here, Jackson Shipley, sure, any of the Shipleys doesn't matter. I don't care. It's Vince Young.
Speaker 2: So interestingly, Jamal Charles like his his freshman year one hundred nineteen carries, sophomore year one hundred and fifty six carries, and his sophomore year wasn't as good, and he was probably most effective yet you know, sixteen hundred yards, but his per carry average as a receiver, he was really good as a freshman. He was almost more effective as a rotation guy, even though he did put up those sixteen hundred yards. He's I mean, we're still talking about what Cedric Benson as an option, see Benz. There's been a lot of good Texas running backs over the past twenty years receivers. I don't know Kwan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, and they haven't popped nearly as much. And Ricky Williams was I think as finally it was ninety eight, so he doesn't count. So yeah, I'm gonna go Vince Young in Texas. In this one, there were some disappearing acts from Saquan. Again, he is playing a position that's dependent on the success of others, whereas Vince Young is the success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, are you going next? All right, we are going number.
Speaker 2: Nine?
Speaker 1: Have we done? We had nine? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, We're going number thirty one.
Speaker 1: Thirty one is Missoo with Chase Daniel and Jeremy Macklin, which is a real underrated pairing here. This is a good pairing. Now.
Speaker 2: This is also a Mazoo program that has had some electric talent along the defensive line. Sure, high high draft picks, high level of success there. So there are duos there that I don't know. I don't know how you feel about some of those guys.
Speaker 1: It's got to be Chase Daniel and Jeremy Macklin. They were ridiculous in college. Has to be, has to be.
Speaker 2: Even over casual jests James Franklin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, of course not.
Speaker 2: Of course, Daves Franklin was very good.
Speaker 1: It wasn't this good? All right?
Speaker 2: Number they're facing off against number sixteen. Another difficult decision. Whoa Florida state?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you think this is difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well the problem is Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey kind of played the same position, kind of a slot corner, rover, safety, outside linebacker when they needed to be in certain cases. Because those two guys, just in terms of physical talent are just off the charts, So you could I don't know, I don't I mean, I guess it's Jamis and Dalvin.
Speaker 1: It's got to be Jamison Dalvin Dan got to beeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, they competed against Oregon for a long time, that duo, so you got to hand it to them.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's Jamis and Dalvin. Moving on here, this is a no brainer. Say what you want about Jamis, but as a college quarterback, he was just.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, that twenty thirteen offense was all unstaple time, Yeah, unstoppable.
Speaker 1: Okay, next matchup?
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, that was was that the first matchup or the second matchup. Was it the first duo or the.
Speaker 1: Sum I'm saying it's got to be Jamis over Missoo.
Speaker 2: Jamis over Missu. Oh yeah, yeah, of course. Okay, sorry, I'm blanked on that. That's how much Missoo left an imprint on me. Number twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Number twenty nine is Tennessee. Yeah wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I would say they they have an all time popping running back in Alvin Kamara, but they didn't necessarily use him as often as they should have. And I don't think they have a quarterback who would compliment Alvin Kamara's talent. Depending on how you feel about Josh Dobbs or Jonathan Crompton, I don't know, but I don't think they have that quarterback. So I'm going to go on the defensive side of the ball, and I'm gonna go with Albert Haynesworth and Derek Barnett.
Speaker 1: Albert Haynesworth one of the all time great yes SEC players.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine tried to block Albert Haynesworth because he played offensive line for Vanderbilt and it went poorly, very very poorly.
Speaker 1: One of the all time greats. So it makes sense that Hainsworth would be in here.
Speaker 2: Is that they've had like, they've got guys who popped, Like I wanted to find a corner who would compliment Eric Berry, but I couldn't. I couldn't zero in on a guy that I felt like was worthy of. That feels good, Hainsworth and Barnett. Okay, so tennessee Haynesworth and Barnett taking on. Let's see if we got a number we haven't done. Have we done? Number ten?
Speaker 1: We have done that?
Speaker 2: We have? Have we done number eighteen? We have not?
Speaker 1: This is this is a sneaky pairing right here.
Speaker 2: All right, We've got Mark Herzlck, who I believe was an outside linebacker. I double checked this, Mark hers Lick, great story, great college linebacker. Luke Keikley. Yeah, perhaps the best inside or middle linebacker of the modern era on both levels.
Speaker 1: This would also be like a real NBA jam duo right here. It feels like this would be a real pairing. And yeah, I I feel like you gotta go with Hertzlig and Keighley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go hers Licking.
Speaker 1: I feel like you gotta right, like two awesome linebackers.
Speaker 2: You know, the Keigley numbers are off the charts. Hers Lick was really good and obviously got sick. But man, it's it's a question of did Albert Hainsworth play inside in a dominant fashion that was unlike what Luke Keickley did. Because Derek Barnett also set records, was incredible as a past rusher, and Albert Haynsworth was borderline unblockable at the level of Luke Keighley. I don't know. I mean, in terms of scariness, Luke Keickley was going to shut you down, knew what you were going to do, and was going to make the.
Speaker 1: Taxle qu.
Speaker 2: Right. You weren't breaking Luke keigley tackles, But then again, you might not survive in Albert Hainsworth's tech. So actually I'm going to say Hainesworth from pure fear, if that is a sense that we are going to include in this, I would say I'm as scared of Albert Hainesworth. This has nothing to do with his you know, pro run ins with penalties and suspensions, not seeing what he was able to do in terms of breaking up the interior of an offensive line. Luke Keigley was is incredible. The height of Albert Hainsworth was essentially as scary as pretty much any interior defensive lineman. I mean, you have Sue, you have all sorts of players who are crazy good. But yeah, I'm gonna go with Tennessee here. Actually interesting, are you going to BC? I would go BC.
Speaker 1: I am not going to use my override here.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're going going twenty nine Tennessee. We're going Tennessee. Okay, next number one?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, no, Notre Dame. Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Do you want the offensive line due or do you want the linebacker Duell?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, so here's the thing. Which offensive line duo are we going? Or? Do you want?
Speaker 2: Who would be the quarterback? Would be Brady Quin would be Jimmy Class.
Speaker 1: We're not doing any quarterbacks with Notre game. Okay.
Speaker 2: That may there have been good receivers though, even Michael Floyd Golden Tate, there have been very good receivers, really good tight ends.
Speaker 1: There have been, for sure. But I think I think it's clear here that you either need to go with it's got to be some combo of Quentin Nelson with Ronnie Stanley or Mike McGlinchey, all of the these guys have been really high draft picks. Ronnie Stanley I think is the highest paid offensive lineman, the highest paid tackle in the NFL. Quentin Nelson is a perennial Pro bowler, and Mike mcglinchy was drafted ninth overall a few picks after Quintin Nelson when they got picked and played in a Super Bowl. So maybe hasn't quite gotten the NFL accolades, but has been very very good. This is though a situation where we have to make sure that the NFL prowess doesn't seep into are our grading of this. But it's unique in that there aren't a whole lot of offensive line combos that we could cite correct to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, Florida State has some good options there. Way back when I think Quentin Nelson pops on like any other player on this list, and we were talking about Manta Teo Heisman finalist in Jalen Smith, you know, all American caliber.
Speaker 1: The other the other names that we have here, we have Manti Tao and Jalen Smith.
Speaker 2: Right, Manta Teo Jalen Smith.
Speaker 1: Jalen Smith remains underrated.
Speaker 2: An all time athletic and successful Notre Dame linebacker.
Speaker 1: So good, so so freaking good. His career the way it ended in the bowl game with the injury, his comeback story to now be a prominent productive member of the Cowboys is like ridiculous. And Manti Tayo, look the story of Manti Tao at Notre Dame. That should not be overlooked either. Manti Tao talk about capturing imagination. Good lord, that's there are no greater examples of that in a literal sense. Oh was awesome in college football was also very very good. Yeah, So we've got options here with Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Where's the fear? Where's the fear from you? Are you've you've rooted for both of these duos? Like, would you rather run into or would you rather try to run by either of these line? Or would you rather try to bull rush Quentin Nelson?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to do either. I think the answer here is mcglinchy and Nelson.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on the same page. I think I think Nelson is the single scariest person here.
Speaker 1: Yet we don't have a whole lot of offensive line combos like this, so I think that in and of itself is unique. You gotta go with those two who are they, who are they going against?
Speaker 2: Let's do our number randomizer and hope that we haven't No Number thirty thirty is pit. This is a great literal matchup pit.
Speaker 1: Wow. Pit. Okay, So the obvious one is obviously Aaron Donald. Mm hmmm, who was every bit as good in college as he is now in the pros?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who do we want to pair Aaron Donald with?
Speaker 2: So I have Jabal shared he was an All American and longtime NFL player. Sure, but essentially there's nobody you could put next to Aaron Donald and be like, oh, yeah, they're relatively on the same level of scariness. So that that was the best I could do. But in terms of college football scariness over the past twenty years, it's hard to have that conversation without Aaron Donald. Now we're seeing Aaron essentially now Aaron Donald against Quentin Nelson.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a good matchup that could actually happen too, right, It probably has.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the Colts have played the Rams.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that you've got two first round anchors on the left side of that line for Notre Dame in mcglinchy and Nelson. The height of that to me, feels much higher than Donald and sheered. However, I mean was a second the second round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're not a.
Speaker 1: Really good matchup. I'm gonna go Mcglinchyan Nelson and I'm going to use my I'm gonna use my override if you decide you want to go pit.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're dictating. Oka's right. Well, ye, I'm gonna go pit then. So it says you'll lose an over ride.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, showed my cards too early, but I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: It's okay, all right. I think we've got a couple.
Speaker 1: More, right, Yeah, we got we got more here that we can do.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh, number eleven, I think we've done. No, we haven't done. Number eleven.
Speaker 1: This is a sneaky good one too.
Speaker 2: This is sort of an exception to the rule that I'm gonna count. It was a submission and I said, you know what, I'll allow it.
Speaker 1: So it's not Shady McCoy and Aaron Donald, but no, it's Darren McFadden, Oh wow, and Felix Jones. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Darren McFadden playing quarterback. Enough the wildcat for a bit of a technicality, but it works. I think it was about two thousand and seven. I mean, you can go with whoever you want to go, Ryan Mallet or Tyler Wilson, that's fine. And Darren McFadden. I think it probably has to me McFadden in the conversation. Yes, there's no better duo. I don't think across Arkansast football. They had some interesting defensive linemen in the twenty fourteen and obviously there were good receivers there during the Patrino time. But yeah, Dearren McFadden pops upon pops. So we'll go to mc McFadden and Felix. Now, if you want to change Auburn to Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams, you're welcome to. But actually, no, they didn't run wildly. Was when Ronnie Brown was with the Dolphins, right right, That's when they was a wildcat quarterback. Okay, So yeah, we're I'm going Felix Jones dere mcfatten here. I'm allowing it. It's my show.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Next we need an opponent.
Speaker 1: Next topic, Yes, number twenty.
Speaker 2: You know I've already done that. Yeahn't make this number twenty.
Speaker 1: Ooh Miama with Ed Reid in Entrell Roll yeah, that is interesting.
Speaker 2: Andrel roll all over the field a bunch of different positions. Of course, i'd read all time, all time, all time safety.
Speaker 1: This has to be Miami. This has to be Miami with Ed Reid and Ontreil roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, too much speed. Those defenses were too good and too NFL laden, and Ed Reid was at the heart of them.
Speaker 1: These guys were preposterous at both I like that word. Yeah, both levels. They were so so good. And it's interesting because we've got a defensive back pairing here with Miami. We've also got a running back pairing in a sense with McFadden and Felix, which is a fun tandem. But I gotta go read and roll. I just it's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: Same page. Okay, all right, next number generation, number twenty five. We've got a scary combo here.
Speaker 1: Arizona State with Will Sutton and Tarrell Suggs.
Speaker 2: Terrell Suggs, Will Sutton. Okay, do you have any just initial thoughts about the two of them? Will Sutton PAC twelve Defensive Player of the Year and twenty I don't remember thirteen twelve somewhere in there or both. It looks like both first team All American twenty thirteen Consensus All American twenty twelve. Seems like a pretty good college career.
Speaker 1: I remember more of Terrell Suggs as a Raven and he was scary good.
Speaker 2: I went back and watched Terrell Suggs ASU highlights and it was like that, but against like a Washington State tackle. So imagine what Terrell Suggs was doing.
Speaker 1: So we didn't got well.
Speaker 2: I mean, Terrell Suggs was an outside linebacker, you know, edge guy for the Ravens, but he was a hand down defensive end.
Speaker 1: Kay, the sun Devils. Okay, so it could go perfect. We could if we could figure out a way to get two running backs in there, we could figure out a way to get Vonte's perfect in there for a.
Speaker 2: With an outside linebacker like a rushback. Yeah, I desperately wanted to put Suggs in perfect together.
Speaker 1: But can we do that?
Speaker 2: And watch? Can we went back and watch? His hand was in the ground. He was a true end all right?
Speaker 1: All right? Fine?
Speaker 2: I had that issue with in the other direction, with David Pollack and Georgia, like I didn't. I couldn't find anybody even approaching how good David Pollack was on the inside of that defensive line. Good players, good players, David Pollack all all timer in Georgia. That was very difficult for me. So I had to go another direction with the Georgia players. So Will Sutton and Terrell Suggs against Nope, we don't have that number. This is really good audio. Don't have that number. Do we have number twenty six?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Do we have number fifteen? Iowa, See, here's a good offensive line duo.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting duo, and it's very befitting a WIO, is it not. Of course we've got here.
Speaker 2: And I like the matchup. I like the defensive line against the offensive line because we can use our imaginations a little bit better. For a head to head back matchup.
Speaker 1: We've got the worse and Shurf like Surf and Turf versus Will Sutton and Tarrell Sugs Dan Suggs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wurfs was incredible, I believe this year for the Bucks, but more importantly he was amazing for Iowa. And of course Brandon Schurff was just an animal. So first round picks alike.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know if I have actor, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Who's pants, Who's who? Makes your pants tightened, tie probab, who would you?
Speaker 1: Probably the Iowa offensive line mans was so mean, that very mean, so mean. If you would find a way to put Vante's perfect in there and Terrell Suggs, I would go, or Terrell Sugs that keep saying it wrong. I would definitely go.
Speaker 3: Au well Son's really good. On the inside of that line, I think I might go the Iowa dudes and those dudes pop, They're dangerous, They're nasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we got okay.
Speaker 2: I don't feel good about it through. That was tough, but that's.
Speaker 1: Where I'm going to eight nine, and we basically have five more matchups to do. All right, let's throat to do with Georgia because they were the odd man out, but let's work through.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna do this at random. I'm not going to do the number randomizer. I'm just gonna do the Dan randomizer. Let's go teams with the same colors. Essentially, Michigan against cal Cal.
Speaker 1: Has a sneaky good pairing here, don't they I've got a great pairing or are they mean? Great two pairings if you want to look at it. Yeah, So I think we would agree that Michigan is Dinard Robinson and Brayln Edwards offensively.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you feel about Mike Heart, I don't know how you feel about Jake, but what a very good career. I don't know how you feel. Mean, they've had decent receivers these past twenty years, Mario Manningham, but Brayllen Edwards seems to rise above some droppy issues, drops the issues as well. But Denard Robinson is probably the offensive player who run literally runs away from this conversation in terms of scariness. So you had to find a running back a receiver that to me, I think, you know, Brayllen Edwards and then defensively for Michigan, I'm willing to have a conversation about you know, we're Shaun Gary and Chase Winovich or Jabrill Peppers and Devin Bush. There there are options there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're not gonna go over Dinard. Can't go over Nard Dog, Nard Dog. He's in that conversation with some of these other guys, the Reggie Bushes of the world who just were larger than life in the college.
Speaker 2: And Denard Robinson in that rich rot offense. Yeah, mm, gotta do it. A pretty insane combo.
Speaker 1: So here's what's interesting about the Cal side. Yeah, who do you pick on the Cal side? You've got a couple obvious ones in aarons Au sorry, Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, and Shawn Jackson. Yeah, I'm assuming we can't go Marshawn and dust Shawn?
Speaker 2: Can we We cannot. And here's the thing though about Marshawn Lynch. He was a really good Cal running back. But there was a they had a series of really good running it did not even like it did. Probably Javid Best was their most incredible home rum threat. You know, JJ Arrington who was really good, and Justin Fcett who was excellent. But yeah, there is something. I mean, if we're playing the scariness element of this, Marshawn Lynch is the answer there.
Speaker 1: I think it's Marshawn.
Speaker 2: So are you going Aaron Rodgers and Marshawn? I'm going on, I gotta go Donard and Braylin. So at a certain point you're saying Braylon or Marshawn, then that's fine.
Speaker 1: I just think Dinard Robinson is far and away the answer here. It could be Denard Robinson against.
Speaker 2: Like three did he hurt. You did Denard Robinson hurt you does a Michigan in a Notre Dame in Penn State.
Speaker 1: He did? Ok Yeah he did?
Speaker 2: So then I mean that's first person experience. Yeah, Okay, I'll accept it. I'm not going to override it.
Speaker 1: Louisville, this is so good. This is going to be so tough with.
Speaker 2: Louisville, Lamar Jackson DeVante Parker, who made incredible player after incredible play, right, and then we'll go with somebody equally athletic at quarterback, Eli Man And I mean, you can choose whoever you want here at receiver for ole Miss because they've had I mean want Lakwan Treadwell. A J. Brown became metcalf More. A J.
Speaker 1: Brown was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah wea go ahead J. Brown? Yeah, Man Lawan Treadwell though physically if we're talking about scariness, well.
Speaker 1: We had a sound for Lakwan. Maybe you go him with Quantasaurus Rex. Right. I just don't know how you can take anybody over Lamar. We're gonna come to a point in this competition where we get a little bit deeper and it's gonna end up being like Dinard Robinson against Lamar Jackson, and we're gonna have to have a car a very hard conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we're also talking about an old Miss offensive line with some big names. Sure, we're talking about old Miss defensive line with some candija to it.
Speaker 1: The whole land Shark thing you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the secondary was great.
Speaker 1: I just it's got to be Lamar.
Speaker 2: Okay, put them forward where it is. Okay, let's go. These are sort of opposites, but not really opposites. Stanford and Andrew Luck with Christian McCaffrey by his side. Keep something in mind about Andrew Luck. Everybody thinks about, Oh, he was so subrebral and had this great arm and was himself changing the plays since like day one, and making calls and shifts and doing everything given more responsibility than the average quarterback. Early on in his career, Andrew Luck loved running over people. Andrew Luck was not afraid to drop a shoulder if the pocket broke down and he started running. Now, Christian McCaffrey goes without saying, I don't think Iowa touched him in the first half of that Rose Bowl. All apologies to Hawk fans, but Christian McCaffrey another level in terms of all purpose college football players with that just all time all purpose, and I'm going to go with Andrew Luck's father's school, West Virginia. Now, okay, the obvious duo is Paw White Steve Slayton, because they were together. We saw it, we saw them exist as you know this, Yin and Yang. But Tavon Austin never played running back and then decided to play running back because they didn't have any the years, didn't have any against I believe Oklahoma and ran for nine hundred and forty four yards that night.
Speaker 1: I think I think Tavon's still playing in the NFL, isn't he?
Speaker 2: That sounds right.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that's even possible. At this point, it's like eight years free agent, Yeah, seven years in. Yeah, he's only thirty. Good lord, we're getting old. Okay.
Speaker 2: So we've got two all purpose great players in Tavon Austin Christian McCaffrey, and we've got a scary ass runner in Pat White who was able to make plays with his arm as well. And Andrew Luck.
Speaker 1: I think it's got to be Stanford and that you should not imply from that statement that I did not enjoy the freaking hell out of watching those West Virginia teams with Pat White. Steeve Well, first, so we got you going Slaton or Austin. I probably go Slaton.
Speaker 2: Or wild card. David Sills cut a lot of touchdowns, got a lot of touchdowns.
Speaker 1: I'd probably go Pat White and Slaton. Okay, and I think I got to go Andrew Luck and Christian McCaffrey. Man in the pairing in the overall matchup, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so too, And I Taevon Austin will always hold a special place in my heart as a West Virginia Mountaineer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, they had some stupid special players there. Weel divine. So this is this is interesting.
Speaker 1: This is interesting the way that this is broken down, because the last five teams, we're gonna have to figure out again something to do with Georgia. We'll stick them on one of the other winners. Well, I mean it's in a play in. Yeah, I guess Georgia. The combo is depending on how you feel. I mean, I couldn't find an interior defensive lineman to put next to David Pollock. So then from that point I said, okay, we're doing rokeland Smith and Jarvis Jones inside outside linebacker. That's pretty friggin scary, right, Or are you just going the obvious offensive well at least quarterback to receiver in Matt Stafford A J.
Speaker 2: Green. I guess depending. I mean they've had a lot of really good running backs as well. Nick chob Sonya, Michelle No Sea Mareno got real real strong dudes. I think you gotta go Stafford, right, I think you go Stafford Green, Stafford A. J.
Speaker 1: Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so Stafford David Green in an all quarterback wild cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, so Stafford.
Speaker 2: And so we'll find a place to insert them. That'll be our wild card insertion, where we just eliminate a team and replace them with Georgia in the next round.
Speaker 1: So, okay, let's go Oklahoma with Kyler Murray and Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 2: Okay, or bib I was gonna say why Kyler over Baker? And it's perfectly reasonable to say so. But I don't both really strong runners. Kyler probably, I mean definitely faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will let you pick. I don't discriminate here between the two. Do you want Baker? I mean, it's gotta be ap all day. But who do we want out, who do we want alongside him?
Speaker 2: So they each play in a playoff semi and a losing efforts. Kyler with a slow start but made some incredible plays against Alabama and then Baker Mayfield double overtime loss to Georgia. I'm just from pure scariness, I'm going Kyler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, We've got Oklahoma with Kyler and Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 2: By the way, you're going Adrian Peterson over a very long list of incredible pass catchers Ryan bros lamb Sterling, Shan sure for Jamaine Gresham. Yeah, gotta go Adrian Peterson. Okay, we will pair them up against Alabama. Okay, this is impossible. It's I don't know how you select a defensive duo for Alabama. Yeah, if you're going to suggest any defensive duo, you can select from a combination of like seventeen players.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If you want to say, Jonathan Allen and Quinn Williams, Okay, great, bad. You cannot make a strong argument, you know, Marlon Humphrey, Miika Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson, Haha, Clinton Dix and like any of these guys, I'm okay with this, you know. Patrick Sartan most recently Mark barn all of these guys. If you want to go, Orlando McClain and what's his name, the outside linebacker on the Patriots down to High Town, all these guys, Like, I'm okay with any of them, but I think they'll cancel each other out, the excellence, cancels each other out, cancels you know. I don't know. I don't know how you feel about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you do it on defense.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 1: I really don't. And so the question is, Okay, you're either going to do You're going to pick two names from a hat. On defense, you.
Speaker 2: Aret Ruben Foster. Okay, we can go with any great yeah, or you could go on the offensive side. And on the offensive side, I guess the quarterback would have to be Tua. It could be to It could be Mac Jones, it could be a Ja mcchaerron. I think what probably isn't Greg McElroy. It's not Greg McElroy, No, probably not with John Parker Wilson, probably not.
Speaker 1: Him, and then who else is it? Because they've had an incredible, just roster of ridiculous wide receivers, the running backs have been equally as absurd.
Speaker 2: So you you have you rooted for a team in the postseason against both uh like guys. I mean, whether it's Julio Jones, whether it's Devonte Smith, whether it's Calvin Ridley, whether it's Amari Cooper, who is if I forgot about Amari Cooper who puts the fear of life into your brain as Notre Dame takes the field on defense against Alabama. Is it DeVante Smith? Is it Julio?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it's either Julio or Amari Cooper.
Speaker 2: Oh, Okay, Davante Smith almost singularly being noted he did three months ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I just it doesn't matter you pick any of these guys. And the thing is, I still don't know if would you take any combo here from Alabama over Adrian Peterson, Kyler Murray.
Speaker 2: Because that's what it comes down to. No, not necessarily, Okay. Adrian Peterson at his absolute apex was as physically dominant and scary a running back as we've seen. What I don't know what his measurable measurables were as a freshman in college. Well, he was one of the two to two ten whatever it was.
Speaker 1: He was one of the guys who if they would have let him, he'd have gone pro yes, instead of going to playing college, which he probably could have not most people can't, but he probably could have swung it. So yeah, I I have a hard time picking almost anybody over Peterson and Kyler. But if we're gonna do it, it's gonna come from the Bama's side because they're just so loaded all the time. You get to pick the two, I'll let you pick the two.
Speaker 2: Uh. Just for the record, we didn't mention Heisman winner mark ingram or Heisman winner. It's Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: It's an embarrassment of riches. Right, so you pick, go ahead. I am going to go.
Speaker 2: Kyler Peterson. I'm doing it over double first round pick. Yeah, right, your your entry Alabama?
Speaker 1: Yeah what but who for Albama? Oh? For who am I going to pick from Alabama?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's your duo.
Speaker 2: To uh and Davante. There's an effortlessness that is so scary that a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of recency bias there, it's okays, a total recency bias.
Speaker 2: Fine, and it's a much more wide old you know the Sark offense. If you know Julio Jones were in the sark offense. What are we talking about? So, man, I don't know who is the who is the offensive coordinat Really it was like a Doug nuss Meyer and Jamackawayne. That was that era of Alabama football. Right, Yeah, I'm gonna stick with Davante And I know it's recency, but it's you know, the the scariest guy is the small guy, right, It's it's the guy with that looks like he has nothing to lose and just isn't backing down from the big dude. It's you know, it's the Mangos taking down the Cobra. I'm gonna I'm just I'm gonna go with Devonte Smith and Tua.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're taking you're taking them over Oklahoma or.
Speaker 2: No, I'm taking Kyler and Adrian Peterson. I think that's I think that's the combo. It's impossible, Like I cannot make a strong case for it.
Speaker 1: There is no.
Speaker 2: Strong, relevant, sensical case for either of these over each other. Kyler was smaller, but Monty Smith is smaller.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, then that brings us to Ohio State and Clemson.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I think the obvious pairing on the Clemson side and I know you got Nuke Hopkins here. I loved him. Sammy Watkins at Clemson, I just I don't know. I feel like he was kind of like a different order of magnitude. I think it's Sammy Watkins and Sean Deshaun Watson, okay. Or it could be Trevor Lawrence too, that's the other thing, wow.
Speaker 2: Or could be Christian Wilkins and Vic Beasley. I mean Vic Beasley all American. Christian Wilkins incredible, can do the splits? Right? Have we shown enough love to a giant and scary defensive front combination? I don't know if we have definitely have not bred venables Christian Wilkins, Vic Beasley off the edge. But then you want to talk you know, Kevin Dodd and Shaq Lawson and all these guys. You know that Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Furl, little furl.
Speaker 2: Austin Briant like all these like there's a ton of options along that defensive line.
Speaker 1: And do I go to Shawn, do I go Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Shawn Watson. There's something about his running ability and how clutch he was, and this is true.
Speaker 1: Let's put it this way. If this is a true NBA jam type of setup, having that versatility of the Sean Watson. And that's not to say that Trevor Lawrence couldn't run.
Speaker 2: Man, Trevor Lawrence ran had like a sixty five yard touchdown. Know that he Ohio State.
Speaker 1: You know that he could run. But I'll go to Sewan here for for the sake of argument. Sean and Sammy, who do you want on the Ohio State side?
Speaker 2: Man? Okay, so you have this incredible run of defensive linemen, but I don't know if there's an Is there a defensive tackle that you would pair with one of the Bosa brothers or Chase Young? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Could you pair one of the Bosas with Chase Young? They both played end? I mean, can we move them around like it's a depth chart.
Speaker 2: I mean they did move around some on passing downs, but I think they are all They're all true ends. I believe for Ohio State.
Speaker 1: There are two ends on the field at the same time.
Speaker 2: I understand, but we're talking complimentary. You get the pick, you get the planning up next to each other.
Speaker 1: I'll let you pick.
Speaker 2: So the other side is you want Braxton Miller? Do you want Justin Fields, and it's probably Michael Thomas. But we can have a conversation about Devin Smith. You know, I would say Fields and Thomas, Fields and Thomas, Dan Sands and Bacher not sneaking into your text.
Speaker 1: Michael Thomas. Okay, is that your pick Fields and Thomas?
Speaker 2: There have been so many good oh Man, the corners and safety and Denzel Ward, Willie Hooker, like, all these guys incredible. Yeah, I'm gonna go Justin Fields and Michael Thomas, But I just I hate this offensive bias that we're showing Fields.
Speaker 1: And Thomas versus DeShawn Well. Hold on, who are who are the actual like? Who is the actual scariest recent Ohio in the last twenty years Ohio state player? Is it Chase Young? So we're just ignoring that fact. Might be one of the bosas.
Speaker 2: But Nick didn't play a ton obviously, he sat out after getting hurt with a serious injury his final season, Joey was incredible. It's probably Chase Young in terms of pure scariness, not necessarily production.
Speaker 1: He was double team.
Speaker 2: He was just the guy you want lining up in your uniform. It's probably Chase Young above all the other guys available, right, Okay. So at that point, I'm just gonna choose, I mean, what you want, Hankins or Adolphus Washington, some guy like that.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm redoing the sheet here, shoe Okay, Hankins, Okay, I don't either way. I don't think anyone's beating to Shawn and Sammy.
Speaker 2: Michael Thomas did not have like a nineteen hundred yard receiving season for a.
Speaker 1: House he date, he did. He came into his own even more so when he got through the NFL. Yeah, the Drew Brees. I think you gotta go to Shawn and Sammy here. That's the only way to fly.
Speaker 2: Um. I think new Hopkins was better at Clemson than Sammy Watkins. But I defer to you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Sean and Sammy and there might pick to go through.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna use my override in this round.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna plug in Georgia against Iowa and the offensive line tandem.
Speaker 2: So we got so now we have to decide who actually So Georgia gets a bye for.
Speaker 1: Some reason, right, Georgia against Iowa.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Iowa duo is the weakest.
Speaker 1: No, I just picked out of a hat here. Oh okay, eventually they're going to have to play someone better anyway. So it's Stafford and AJ Green against the worst and shrif combo from Iowa, which scares you more.
Speaker 2: I think the Iowa offensive line all right, done, done done. There was an inconsistent nature to that time in Georgia football. If I'm remembering correctly, I know that two thousand and seven eight team with Matt Stafford that just absolutely shelled to why they're incredible, the best of AJ Green but AJ Green also But no, we're not talking about production. We're not talking about the ability to stay on the field. We're talking about pure scariness. I'd rather build a team around the Iowa offensive line. Yeah, I'm doing that.
Speaker 1: So here's what's going to happen. I will put together overs, I will put together this list, and we will get to the deeper rounds of this here competition on our Wednesday show.
Speaker 2: Great right in please tweet us, Instagram, us solid verbal at gmail dot com and itemize every single pick of who should represent and who would win the matchup. Itemize every single one we got wrong if you have the time in your day, because there are a lot I'm sure We're going to get destroyed for this. You know that that's fine, but we encourage it. Please write it.
Speaker 1: We do encourage it right in soliverbal at gmail dot com. Also go to the website solid verbal dot com. If you want to find all the old stuff that we have to offer, you can find it there. Newsletter dot solid verbal dot com. If you want to sign up for the newsletter, please do write it and let us know your thoughts. Also going out to verbalers dot com if you're interested in the Patreon dan it's all I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty the hydrated on you. Okay, we'll go drink it.
Speaker 1: I would drink for that. Go that's my good Chrissy and Ruby and told myself tie Hilda brand On, thank you as always for playing along with me as talk to you all, student
Speaker 2: PA