Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast.
Speaker 2: It's part of the Dave Damashack Coaching Tree from.
Speaker 3: The Chris Westling podcast studio. It's Around the NFL. I am Dan Hansas. I got heroes here, Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler.
Speaker 1: We're here now.
Speaker 3: At what is, you know, pretty close to the midpoint of the NFL season. And it's been a weird NFL season. Boys, it's been an unpredictable NFL season. It has been the Sunday and injury plagued NFL Sunday. And we're gonna get to all the big news that came out of the day and go through all the games and there are thirteen of them. Great, so bring your a game, buddy.
Speaker 4: Full slate. I'm feeling it. It did feel like a like a momentous day. I don't know, we'll see I mean, we know some teams their future at quarterback change. Today we saw some teams kind of reinsert themselves into the bigger picture. It felt like, Okay, maybe this season's starting to take a little shape today.
Speaker 5: Well, I think a lot of it is like, yeah, it's a big week when you know that there's a lot to come on Monday.
Speaker 1: In terms of like news updates and where we are.
Speaker 5: And there was a period where, you know, because Greg and I watched these games early and then you are, you live close by, and you come around halftime of the second game usually yes and uh, well okay phrasing. But Greg and I like there was like five or six major quarterbacks. It was like, I'll have it in Fraucus is within about a twelve minute period and we're just like walking back and forth to each other, talking to each other about it.
Speaker 1: I can't follow it up tomorrow.
Speaker 6: He painted a picture.
Speaker 1: You really did?
Speaker 3: I did, and the audience is, you know, let's get all the better for it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, been here since like nine in the morning.
Speaker 3: I say, at what point were you realizing that story really had nowhere to go?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: I tried to guard myself against that during a show last week. I warned you in the middle of a segment that whatever I was doing is not working.
Speaker 1: And it's happened again.
Speaker 3: And this is also a Sunday that in my corner of the universe, I witnessed one of the most insane, unlikely comebacks in the history of the NFL, and data backs that up.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to that as well. But let's start with the big news. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't lock a game anymore because anywhere I go, the NFL says, no, what you think is not what it is. The Niners at home unstoppable. The Niners are very stoppable right now, especially when the healthy Joe Burrow is involved.
Speaker 7: Second in goal from the five chase out to the right, everybody else bunched in tight.
Speaker 8: Burrow in the shotgun, waiting for the staff from Teddy Carris.
Speaker 1: Burrow catches it to ten, gives it to mix it again. He's on his way to.
Speaker 9: The promised land touchdown.
Speaker 3: Bengals mixing, dancing in the end zone and Cincinnati takes a two touchdown lead.
Speaker 6: Oh, the Bongos come out early. Wow, Okay, Dan.
Speaker 3: Horde, Dave Blapham, w c Ky with the call. You see Joe Mixon in that end zone and doing that dance and a very quiet.
Speaker 1: Big bell bottom.
Speaker 3: There's a swagger and an energy around the Cincinnati Bengals. Now that wasn't there just a scant few weeks ago. Joe Burrow threw three touchdown passes. Cincinnati intercepted Brock Purty on back to back passes in the second half, mix and ice the game with an incredo after an incredible kind of answer drive by the Bengals in the fourth quarter. And yes, the Bengals beat the Niners thirty one seventeen. They've won four to five. Now and Greg will start here Joe Burrow. When this man is healthy, and he is absolutely healthy right now. He is one of the most thrilling players to watch in the league. And you know, there was some conversation on this podcast Greg about what's wrong with the Bengals and what's wrong with this coach and why isn't the system working?
Speaker 1: But it's Burrow.
Speaker 3: He's the heart of everything and when he's right, everything clicks into place. Twenty eight to thirty two to two eighty three, three touchdowns, and he has this team believing that they are better than everyone.
Speaker 1: And that's the way they look today.
Speaker 4: When when I said at the top of the show, you know, certain teams, you know, reintroducing themselves, putting themselves back in the pick. I'm thinking this game because I never expected to be in at point in the season where the forty nine ers have a three game losing streak, and I may you know I was wrong, but I started doubting whether the Bengals were gonna be the Bengals because I thought they had these other issues that were plaguing them in terms of their run defense, in terms of their offensive line. But maybe you're right, Dan, like these numbers and the techs I'm getting from Nick Westling and Spice Rack Wes's old friend Brad Spicer, who just starts saying like it's all happening again, like are you seeing like Like even after the game, Zach Taylor said, it was our first complete game, like this was the Bengals team that we've been waiting to see all season.
Speaker 3: They didn't commit a penalty in this game until very late in the affair, and everything came so easy. And the reason why I picked that mix and touchdown, even though it really was a day that was about Burrow and how great he looked Mark was that at twenty four to ten, after the back to back interceptions by Purdy, San Francisco takes over and finally perks up, comes to life and goes right down the field. I want to make sure I have the numbers right here. They go right down the field, ten plays, seventy five yards in four point fifty two and make it a seven point game. And that's at the point where that building is loud again and Cincinnati, with Burrow at the control, says no, this is not going to go the way you think it's going to go. They take the ball back and they go ten plays seventy eight yards to end the game. And that is a close out drive from a championship type team.
Speaker 5: It's I think what has happened to San Francisco over the last three weeks is equally as to me, stirring and surprising is what's happened with this Bengals team. And the Bengals are like Week one and two, we don't care. We just don't care. We didn't care last year, we don't care this year. Who would have thought the Niners three weeks in a row would put up only seventeen points three weeks in a row. And that Brock party, who was, if nothing else not creating mistakes, not taking the team and putting them in reverse. Two interceptions today, and it's one of the first times where I've Heardkyle Shanahan come out after and say one of them was just flat out a bad decision. It was a bad decision and it's like we are seeing a version of rock Party. That makes me wonder if someone like Kyle Shanahan, who's a little bit up and down and like he has eyes for other quarterbacks left right, would he ever be kind of compelled to put someone like Sam Darnold in there.
Speaker 1: We're not there yet.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Party situation. Because Party, when we did the show on Thursday, he wasn't playing. I get Look, he was in concussion protocol and everything would have to he'd had to check every box and it was pushing right up against it to check the fifth box.
Speaker 1: So he does get cleared, so it looks like.
Speaker 6: It's pretty rare.
Speaker 3: It looked like Donald was going to start, and then at the last second, Party started. And again, when you guys see this game, you're gonna see Party wasn't bad. In fact, there were moments in this game where you know, he threw for three hundred and sixty five yards and had made some plays with the speed he ran for fifty seven yards.
Speaker 1: But yes, you can't say anything.
Speaker 3: Two on back to back passing attempts in crunch time, he throws interceptions that sink the team. And yeah, you thought maybe the first time you're looking at him after that second pick, Greg and you're saying, is this confidence starting a waiver a little bit. I don't think there's a controversy there yet, but we're now we're starting to make something toward that. They hit the buye with questions about consistency at that position that are they are fair to ask.
Speaker 6: I believe so.
Speaker 4: And you know, I don't expect to see Sam Darnold coming out of the by or anything. But it's a little concerning that these turnovers are coming in bunches, like when it starts going bad, it stays going bad. But that's partly, you know, because they're playing this this Bengals defense, and to flip it around, like the forty nine Ers linebackers are known as the best linebacker due in the league. But the Bengals line back you know, Jermaine Pratt where they were able to keep on a pretty cheap contract this offseason, and Logan Wilsons who signed long term. They made big plays in this game. They were the better defense ultimately, and I'm more surprised that the forty nine Ers gave up twenty nine first downs than I am that the Bengals held you know San Francisco to seventeen points.
Speaker 6: I am quite.
Speaker 4: Surprised that the forty nine Ers defense, which just coming into this year and through the first five game looked so good, has allowed them to lose three straight because you know, they haven't played well in any of these games.
Speaker 1: No, and Burrow set the tone on the first drive of the game.
Speaker 3: It was third and long on their side of the field, and he was done like there was a Niner in the backfield.
Speaker 1: This was a sack.
Speaker 3: He gets, wiggles out of the sack and then scrambles to his right and as he's going out of bounds, he zips one that looks like a throwaway at first, but no, it wasn't. It was for a long completion and that sustained that drive and led to the touchdown. Then there was another play where he once again ducked out of trouble and then turned on the jets and scrambled for it was twenty yards twenty yards, and it was like, okay, he's he is fully right when he's doing stuff.
Speaker 5: We talked about that and this was a game where you know, you got the best version of Nick Bosa, who had nine QB pressures in the first half, which is the most by any pass rusher in the first half of a game this season, twelve on the day.
Speaker 1: So that was working. And I watched that play too.
Speaker 5: I got all these screens up and I saw Burrow breakaway from them.
Speaker 1: Someone say, too many screens? Too many?
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 1: Not does anyone watch anything in the late window. You're just dealing with four.
Speaker 5: But like when he had that twenty yard dash, you're looking at a player that's completely healthy. He's fixed, he's fine. And suddenly this Bengals team, to me, has no ceiling.
Speaker 4: Wait, I mean, and it's just the season is so long, and that's why I'm not panicking about the forty nine ers. But they're now spotted the Eagles a couple of games if they're trying to get like a one seed for instance, and they're bringing the Seahawks back into the division race. But it's just crazy that the Bengals in the forty nine ers actually have the same record. It one four and three, one five and three, Like start over these two teams, which looks so different three weeks.
Speaker 3: Ago, and like I said, the forty nine ers are in there by then they visit Jacksonville, a team that's surging as well, so it doesn't get any easier.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Two quick notes Trent Williams.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, I did lock up the Niners, thinking it was Sam Darnold, and I was very excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then Party came in and I was like, well, I'm not going to bail out of the lock. But it took kind of like the Feistiness album for me.
Speaker 4: They didn't fight hard enough for the lock. I think because of it. I locks mostly come down to luck. I've said that in the years that I win and don't win, it's mostly luck. I was locking when you win its skill, no skill, mostly luck when when you win. I was locking up this game, but it's switching to Donald freaked me out. So I jumped off of it and then it wasn't Darnold, and by then it was.
Speaker 3: Too You're having a blessed year in the locks, and that's why the competition's effectively over now.
Speaker 1: No, like we said last week, and I you're picking up another game on me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Left tackle Trent Williams missed a second straight game with the sprained angle and shout out to Christian McCaffer. Even in loss, he had two touchdowns and he has at least one touchdown in seventeen straight games, including the playoffs, that tied the NFL record set by nineteen sixty three sixty four games.
Speaker 1: Matt Snell, I don't know, wrong, Lenymore.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, let's move on. So the Niners humbled by the Bengals. How about another Well, I want to call what happened in San Francisco stunning but interesting and quite surprising.
Speaker 1: Let's head to Denver. This one was stunning.
Speaker 11: Takes the snap, Mahomes in the pocket in trouble, tries to climb the stiffs arms Bnito, throws the.
Speaker 1: Ball on the run.
Speaker 6: That ball is in a second.
Speaker 11: Justin Simmons, Simmons in Kansas City Territory, get out of balls justin his sixth interception of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable defensive performance by the Denver Broncos. Justin Simmons had two of Denver's five takeaways and Patrick Mahomes had nowhere to run.
Speaker 1: I mean it was I listen. I mean, you're not going to find a Sean Payton supporter in me.
Speaker 3: But as bad as his year is gone, his first year in Denver, I can't imagine a much sweeter tasting win than absolutely housing Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid, which is what the Broncos did in a twenty four to nine win at Mile High. And it was really surprising to watch the Broncos hand Mahomes' first AFC West Road loss and they beat Kansas City's quarterback for the first time in thirteen tries. This has been as one sided as it gets, and there was nothing fluky about the performance of the Denver Broncos defense from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: Gave Mahomes fits.
Speaker 3: They never got comfortable and Kansas City was just not sharp enough, with too many turnovers, a sloppy play and every time Mark, I feel like we're getting to a point with the Chiefs and their offense where you're like, Okay, here they go. They're off and running a game like this happens and it's like, what is up with this team?
Speaker 1: And oh, by the way, the trade trade deadline is in two days.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that they mentioned Nick Benito in that in the play call there. I thought he played a great game. He caused all sorts of problems. Pressure Mahomes eight times. Mahomes. You know reports coming into the game that he's dealing with the flu, and I feel like we never really know what that's doing to a player. It feels sometimes like it's a great way for us to market you if you win. We've seen that before in another sport. But he really was off his game, like a different sport that did happen to a completely a player that we mentioned too much.
Speaker 6: I mean conspiracy theory here. I think a golf sideling, So he was dealing with that.
Speaker 1: It was you know, they cleared the snow off the field.
Speaker 5: But he also at one point in the game had his hand was all banged up with gashes and cuts.
Speaker 1: So it was a tough day for Mahomes.
Speaker 5: He had a negative twenty point six EPA over forty four dropbacks, which is the lowest of his entire career, and that's what triggers the Broncos to beat the Chiefs for the first time since Peyton Manning was quarterback.
Speaker 1: And I look at this Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Team, I think the one way is any team that loses a turnover battle five to one, you've got some weird Mahomes plays, some interceptions, three foot loss fumbles, that's your way in. But Denver actually their defense has improved over the past couple weeks after looking like an absolute open barn door for the earlier part of the season.
Speaker 1: It wasn't so much about the offense.
Speaker 5: It's like their defense showed up today and this is a different looking team if you can do that.
Speaker 4: This season is so long just for talking about it. With the forty nine, there's such peaks and valleys. But they've played three games and they've allowed forty five points, and I would say this result was would be even more stunning if we didn't see the Broncos hold the Chiefs to one touchdown two weeks ago.
Speaker 6: I hate the two games in three weeks.
Speaker 4: It's not the reason they both teams have to do it, but I do think there's something strange about it. And it's also a division matchup where there is familiarity. I know it's a new coaching staff and everything, but the Broncos plan for the Chiefs worked really well last time around in terms of like stopping them from dives. This time it sounds like it worked even better. But yeah, forty five points by the Broncos defense last three weeks, it's funny, like when things happen if they started the season that way, everyone would be talking about, like vance Joseph, one of the best jobs in the league right now, this is the best defense in the league.
Speaker 6: And it was the complete opposite. They were historically bad early.
Speaker 4: Peyton was asked after the game about their trade deadline strategy, said, we have no strategy. We're not the team that's gonna be calling. But there's nothing happening. If something was happening, I would be the one to know it. So nothing is happening. Well, we know you're talking to people and saying like certain guys are available, potentially they leave everything. He's so they are three and five now and the AFC is so wide open. I think that's a trend we'll see the rest of these games. Is these teams that were maybe on the out it's winning games and maybe less likely to make trades.
Speaker 1: The keep playing this game.
Speaker 3: It was third and eight at the case twenty seven and the Broncos at this point are ahead fourteen to nine. The Chiefs get a sack and it's a bad sack that Russell Wilson takes that knocks them at a field goal range. So they ended up punting, and that's when Mikole Hardman recently reunited with the team, muffs the punt recovered by the Broncos. So after they get off the field, the Chiefs and it's about to be Mahomes taken over. Down five points, they muffet sets them at first and goal at the ten. Two plays later, Russell Wilson hits Courtland Sutton for six yards twenty one to nine, and that essentially kind of was the game at that point. So, I mean, in a game that was marked by too many mistakes, the Hardman fumble was the one that I feel like broke the back of Kansas City here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's like they came to a point where there are too many gaffs. I mean, if you told me that Russell Wilson was going to throw for one hundred and fourteen yards in this before Rmance, I would think it'd be another typical run of the mill Chiefs Broncos outfit scenario. But instead Denver is blasting Taylor Swift as the Chiefs walk off defeated, with Kelsey having sorry it is a little bit of a to me, a split when she's not in the stadium. Fifty eight yards kind of held at bay. I know we're not supposed to talk about it.
Speaker 3: But bad news by the way, because she is now going, I believe, on the international leg of her record setting eras tour, which means Germany.
Speaker 1: Apparently she is not going to be around anymore.
Speaker 3: And yes, Russell Wilson threw for just the buck fourteen but with three touchdowns, so that will give you.
Speaker 4: A former people that have worked for the Saints, like Sean Payton makes he's a great pay caller near the end zone, so he always is trying to get his quarterbacks touchdowns near the end zone because he loves the QB rating and the quarterbacks that have these gaudy stats such.
Speaker 1: A Greg take No, no, I'm just trying to score.
Speaker 6: And it's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: He's always trying to set up the quarterbacks that have the He's got a touch on ours, but he's great at doing it, so why wouldn't he. But this is a great running team. I meant to say it on Thursday. Javonte Williams really looks good and Juliana McLoughlin's a great number two. So they've they had over five yards per carry on the season, Danny before this game.
Speaker 6: That's pretty impressive. So they're a good running.
Speaker 3: They kind of ruined their season potentially with how poorly they got out of the gates, and seventy to twenty is going to stick with you, I mean.
Speaker 1: Or this ruined there a long time number. But they're three and five.
Speaker 3: But they're not going to have the number one there because this team has They hit the bottom early and now we're seeing them most weeks. Now they're pretty pretty confering. They're not they're not a good team. But I'm looking at yeah, I mean, they lost a close one to the Chiefs and they beat the Packers.
Speaker 1: They beat the Chiefs. Now they go to Buffalo. Who knows what we get with Buffalo.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Russell Wilson too.
Speaker 4: We're hearing that the the audio is not great on this, but I see you, Russ trying to change, oh, trying to change your your new slogan to go Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do look at all.
Speaker 6: The compass in the world and what we can do.
Speaker 1: We know what we're belove and you know.
Speaker 6: It's about the work. It's about the work. It's nothing else. It's about the team. Let us being together, continue to work, put our best foot forward, and uh, we're excited We're excited, abut where we can go enjoy this one?
Speaker 1: Guys, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Did it with the press conference too, afterwards, the assembled Denver media.
Speaker 6: It's now the thing. It had not been the thing I liked.
Speaker 1: Broncos Country, Let's Ride.
Speaker 3: I feel like you should have stuck with that, but you're right, it did not test well, did not go through the roof.
Speaker 1: No for showman purposes.
Speaker 5: He also rented out a waffle house for his very famous wife for her birthday.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Let's ride, Baby. Good for them, that's a beautiful couple. All right.
Speaker 3: Let's now move on to the most stunning injury news of the week to lambeau Field.
Speaker 12: Kirston ten from the Green Bay twenty cousins.
Speaker 6: It's gonna loop one right cut touch.
Speaker 12: Chorgain Henderson with his seventh the National Football League touchdown, and that gives Minnesota a twenty three to three lead. And for Jordan, that touchdown means he has the most in the history of the Minnesota Vikings through the first eight games.
Speaker 3: That's Paul Allen with the call kfan and that turns out to be that is the high point in all likelihood of the twenty twenty three Minnesota Viking season, up twenty four to three over the rival Packers in Lambeau. A Vikings team that started slow but was really turning it on with Kirk Cousins playing some of the best football of his career. But after he threw a pair of touchdown passes in this game, Cousins took a bad step on the field on the fourth quarter of the twenty four to ten victory immediately was ruled out after an examination. You started seeing things floating around on Twitter, a close up of his calf area and that redded ripple that we saw on Monday Night Football with Aaron Rodgers back in Week one, and sure enough reports out there that it is indeed a torn achilles tendon for Kirk Cousins that will end his season and in maybe all likelihood his Minnesota Vikings career. Here's Kevin O'Connell, who did not announce anything because it's not official official yet, but talking about Cousins as a guy who will no longer be playing for them this season.
Speaker 13: I'm thinking of Kirk our locker room, every single player in our locker room, you know, thinking about our leader, our guy right now, and I'm just so proud of him, proud of the way he's played all season long, and you know it's you know, whatever is the case, if we don't have him for one snap or or for the duration of our season, that will not change the fact of what I believe Kirk Cousins, the level he played to this year, and ultimately what he's meant to me in our organization.
Speaker 3: Cousins has never missed a game because of injury in his twelve year career, and iron Man he sat at one game in twenty twenty one because of a positive COVID test. I'm sure, GREGI this is always one of my favorite players to watch, and the Vikings were really shaping up as one of the more interesting teams in the NFC in the second half, and it all disappears in a blink.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy because you think about this game where they look clearly better than the Packers. Osbourne gets ninety nine, Hockinson eighty eight, Addison is a legit dude, eighty two yards in a touchdown and where they can go because their defense is good. And I look at this team, I think they're better than they were a year ago on balance, and they're not going to get the thirteen wins, and you think of Cousins and how they didn't sign him coming into this year, that he's gonna be a free agent with Achilles, and it's just heartbreaking. And you also think of the timing because the trade deadline is Tuesday, and to me, that's a bit of a gift for the Vikings because they chose to go into this season and it was a big topic in Minnesota with Jaren Hall as their backup quarterback, fifth round rookie, they couldn't get good play out. I think it was what Nick Mullins was on the roster before too. I think being here to see what's out there because Jaren Hall just doesn't feel like it's something that can that you want for ten games, for nine games, whether it's Jameis Winston or Ryan Tannehill or someone like this year's version of Josh Dobbs. I do think they're given not a gift, but just the fact that it's this week and not next week, they can maybe do something about it. I would expect them to do something about it.
Speaker 5: I yeah, because so when they beat the Bears in that nineteen to thirteen contest, which it was a win, but it looked to me like the coaching staff had not cooked up a way to cover over justin Jefferson's absence. I thought, against the Niners, you know, with Addison stepping up, there are answers, and today we saw multiple pass catchers be extremely productive and Kirk Cousins is playing one of the best seasons of his life. You lose them, But then you look at the schedule, and I'm with you, why not look for a Jamis Winston or someone like that. You've got the Falcons, the Saints, the Broncos, the Bears, and the Raiders coming up next year for and four? Why not it's over well because and I get staff can't think that way.
Speaker 6: I guess, well.
Speaker 3: They can't, but like we can, like you can't. Just you're not going to trade for a quarterback in week nine. You could trade for James and then expect him. Yeah, we think Jameis Winston would do with the playbook.
Speaker 5: About a guy that this is aie. It absolutely is, I guess.
Speaker 4: I just mean, look, it's not going to be in Quesse's long term plan like this is. The team's actually trying to add draft picks and think about the future. And get rid of, you know, veterans. We were talking about them trading away veterans. Could it be something that actually makes them more likely to trade Daniel Hunter over the next two days. I don't know, but I think just life is short and you have to all live in the next nine game and you could say, like it's over. Yeah, they're not gonna win the super Bowl. They weren't winning the Super Bowl anyways. I think you have a responsibility to your team that if you can get a guy like a Jamis or I'm not coming up with you know, great ant Kobe, you know, or and it could be for like a fourth round pick or something, and that dramatically improves your next nine games.
Speaker 6: I think I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't even do that though, Like why would you bring because.
Speaker 6: What's a fourth ron pick? It's it's like a coin flip. They value them like erylers value them. They do.
Speaker 4: But that's what I mean, Like, to me, nine games of these next nine games are more valuable than a coin flip for guys.
Speaker 6: That might be a backup side.
Speaker 3: I hear what trust me, I hear what you guys are saying. I'm not trying to be flip about it. Yeah, I'm just like kind of being a little more black and white, and and sometimes you just get screwed and they lose Jefferson to a serious hamstring injury. Now you lose your franchise quarterback to the most brutal injury.
Speaker 1: And it's just like that's kind of it.
Speaker 3: And maybe for this team where they are now, it's not the worst thing now for to be a developmental get the if this kid he's on your roster, coach him up and see what you get out of him, and maybe you get a high draft pick if things go poorly, and if he develops, it's a it's a bonus that comes out of a terrible situation. I just think trading for like a guy like a Jake Brisket, it's like, what are you really trying to do?
Speaker 1: Like it wins get think.
Speaker 5: Part of it is it's your head coach in a particularly tough situation.
Speaker 1: What do you want to tell your locker room.
Speaker 5: I wonder if maybe you tell one announcing booth Matt Ryan won't be with you anymore.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't touch it.
Speaker 6: I forget the draft pick.
Speaker 4: It's like they're not gonna even with Jaron Hall they're not going to lose enough games to get a worse record than this Packers team right now. Like yeah, like the Packers are one of the worst teams in the NFL. There's going to be too many bad teams for them.
Speaker 3: By the way, Matt Ryan, it's funny you brought him up because Matt Ryan did supposedly reach out to the Jets, or his presentation did, so, you know, I'm sure maybe if he did it for the Jets, even I could play with Justin Jefferson and a nice dome.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound too bad.
Speaker 3: We'll see, We'll see what happens that the let's hit the Packers because we've got to keep moving.
Speaker 1: But it's bad.
Speaker 3: It's this team is obviously going in the wrong direction, and I think especially Jordan Love is going in the wrong direction because earlier in the season, through about week three, you're thinking yourself, wow, they're just rolling into the next guy. In this game, you really could see a young passer whose confidence is in a bad way right now, which yes, he's a young passer, but he's also been cooking on the bench for a couple of years now, so you were hoping maybe you wouldn't have to live with something like this.
Speaker 1: But he was missing open receivers.
Speaker 3: He's making bad decisions, He's turning the ball over a lot.
Speaker 1: He has eight.
Speaker 3: Interceptions in the last five games. Underthrows just kind of throwing prayer balls up repeatedly in this game and hoping for good results. It just seems like he is trending downward. And Packers fans, who are a very positive fan base, I feel like, for the most part, at least inside that building, they're like booing like they're the Philadelphia Eagles fans, and they're booing Matt lafore and they're booing the quarterback and the general direction of the offense, which is kind of rudderless right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're twenty five, you've never been through this. If you're thirty five as a Packers fan, you've never been through this. And it's unusual to see a game that starts with four punts, you have ninety eight yards in the first half, twelve minutes a time of possession, and you close the game with three essentially fourth down stops downs in a row. It's like they're not this is Matt Lafleor's coaching challenge, and it's not working right now, and it's interesting to see Packers fans in a place like this because it's pretty unprecedented.
Speaker 4: Right, Cousin's injury happened before that, you know, when that fumble happened, and they had totally you know, they had the ball inside the then they totally had a chance to get back into this game and it was like nothing.
Speaker 3: Cousins, by the way, before he went out was twelve to thirteen for one hundred and thirty nine yards and a touchdown on third down, So he was cooking up the Green Bay defense on third downs. And yeah, the the Packers' offense has gotten a five straight games without a touchdown in the first half. They didn't have their first first down in this game until four minutes of the second quarter. So for the first time, I really think the Matt Lafleur era is under attack right now, and I think there's a chance he could be in some trouble if this thing stays bad or gets worse from here.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's a it's a hymnish? Was it a him issue versus like because the offense isn't working and he's the offensive guy. I don't know, like he has a role.
Speaker 4: It was just show me something we said going into the season that we're gonna really learn about Matt Lafleur. Like, was it just you know Rogers or like, is he a coach that can sustain success and they're one of the worst teams in the NFL.
Speaker 3: He's got a lot of work to do. There's no doubt about that. All right, let's see where are we at. Let's head to Jarro World.
Speaker 14: Here's third night. Rams are gonna rush four. Prescott runs up out of the pocket and runs right looking.
Speaker 6: Down field, throw it to the end zone. Touchdown.
Speaker 1: She there it is.
Speaker 6: That's easy cash, shit's all.
Speaker 14: That's CD twenty two yards and his second touchdown of the day.
Speaker 6: That's what the Texas Coast offense is.
Speaker 1: Messages. Target your best guy.
Speaker 3: In the end zone a lot. Anyway, Brad Sham. The sham got our buddy from KLRD with the call. There Dak Prescott through two of his four touchdown passes to CD Lamb, who was a menace in this game.
Speaker 1: Toron Bland had his third pick six. That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: What and the Cowboys torch the Rams forty three to twenty. That is the eleventh consecutive win at AT and T Stadium for America's team. Greg, Wow, it's funny. I didn't realize that either. It's funny the NFL because after the Niners smoke Dallas a few weeks ago, the Cowboys were rightfully being flamed as this overly familiar pretender and maybe they are still, but then they drop a hammer like this, and you see what's happened to San Francisco since, And you're just thinking to yourself, like, NFC is freaky right now?
Speaker 4: It is, and they're so talented, and you just see it when they're it's allowed to come out that they are among those teams that have a chance.
Speaker 6: I know you don't want to. You know, you're not gonna believe them in them Mark, and I don't know. I have to see too.
Speaker 1: You can say this about fourteen teams and right, they have a chance. You're right.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't. I would only say it about like five. But they're one of those five because they're so talented. On a day like this, like Ceedee Lamb listening to around the NFL on the way to the stadium saying saying, you know, I'm on pace for like ninety catches and thirteen hundred yards.
Speaker 6: Dad, get off my back.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put up nine for one, twenty two and two in the first freaking half.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, I want I don't want you to be like a guy that's just like filling the statute, and I want you to be ag aj Brown taking games over.
Speaker 1: And it's what he did today.
Speaker 4: He did because it was everything to me. He's a top ten receivers. There's so many good receivers, but he because he can do everything. He can win at the catchpoint, he can make plays after the catch.
Speaker 6: He was so good after the catch today.
Speaker 4: And then he can you know, improvise like he did on that last touchdown play, just snatching ball, snatching souls and Dak has played about eight perfect quarters. I know he had an interception in this game, but it was on a tip pass. Is that the line of scrimmage? He was near perfect. One of his best games in a long time against the Chargers before the buy came out. Made all the right decisions in this game. Was hit a few times and still just like made great decisions. Really, if you're a Cowboys fan, you just love to see it. You love to see Brandon Cooks getting involved to.
Speaker 5: I think what I like about Dallas and we've seen it, you know, multiple times this season, is that when they win and when it's like the little girl with her umbrella, the reins at Poor's girl on the salt box, like it's not coming from just one place, It's coming from like all facets of the team, and we saw it in the season opener. But today it's like you get the Dern Bland pick six, you get a punt block for a safety on special teams, you get Ceedee, Lamb and Dak playing the best versions of what they are, and Mike McCarthy has one of his greatest you know, offensive coaching performances of the entire season, and that I can believe in. It's just like you know, we'll see, but it's like this is encouraging. The only thing I'd say as a human is that, like human, well, Sean McVay just like had a baby two days ago, and like we've all had children and we have them now, but like that week, that couple, like that those hours after that happens is a complete mystical uh fog of war scenarios. So it's like having to go deal with this. Well, I'm just saying, let off the hook. If you talk about one thing that could disrupt your life, it might be that it's.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit and he's like twenty million in the bank and probably like a full time op.
Speaker 1: Hair I know, but it's right, you'll tell you.
Speaker 6: I don't know. It's the mom that's.
Speaker 1: Doing all the work with your new baby. I haven't just one thing.
Speaker 3: I have been there. We've all been there. Yeah, Eric, one day you'll be there too, big funk. Maybe you guys will both be though, for both of you, because it's a beautiful thing. But let's keep it real. And the women that listen to our show, the scamp few, they know the truth. The dad's not doing too much around this time. The baby doesn't care about dad's hot. The baby cares about mom who's keeping him alive, him or her alive.
Speaker 1: So to say that the head coach of the Rams, it's let off the hook. Were you all got a tavern when your child is?
Speaker 6: I was like, I was there enough. You're not doing any work.
Speaker 4: You're like, you're like Desmond Ridder after he got bench today, just clap it on the sideline.
Speaker 6: The grandparents come.
Speaker 5: In the world where like I'm not saying like physically Sean McVay then the you know partner, but it's it's not off the hook.
Speaker 4: I don't Yeah, I don't think McVeigh had had much to do with a couple of questionable calls early in this game that went against the Rams. One extended a drive for the Cowboys, that ended a touch on. One ended a drive, uh for the Rams. And he definitely wasn't throwing the ball to nowhere with that pick six where Stafford and cup just weren't on the same page.
Speaker 1: Ulc Stafford gets hurt in this.
Speaker 4: It really seemed like Stafford just made a mistake on that on that play, it made no sense on the pick six. And then Stafford on the last drive before halftime hits his thumb hard and you're thinking, oh, is he gonna have to leave the game? Did he just break it up? No, he's going to stay in there. Okay, he stays in there. And then he hits his thumb again on the helmet and and that was on a touchdown. You're like, oh, wow, okay, there not giving up in this game. They cut it to thirty three to nine before after then they come out out a half time. Okay, Stafford's still playing, He's gonna be fine. They score a touch then wow, it's now you know, thirty three fifteen, they're they're rallying. Let's dial up the two point conversion where Matthew Stafford has to catch the pass with this injured thumb and he catches it because it's not a perfect pass from Skwarnik or No. From two to two at well rather and he then dives for the end zone, embraces himself with his thumb.
Speaker 6: Come on, and then he hurts the same again.
Speaker 4: And McVeigh said after the game he actually believes that's the play. He heard his thumb on that before that he doesn't think it was a big problem and he's gonna go undergo an MRI on the thumb. So he was going down as like an all time like what was that play call in that moment?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe McVeigh was if he was more focused, he would have pulled his quarterback out of them before that happened.
Speaker 5: It is a possibility. Uh, we have a lot of backup quarterback ecs in this league right now. See its not a great vibe.
Speaker 4: Major Bones Fossil Revenge game. Though, with a big return of block punt. You want to go cheap on special teams Rams you entered this week thirty second in DVA and special teams and their special teams killed them all day today.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna cycle back real quick because we're gonna bring up coordinators.
Speaker 1: Captain lou Anarumo, what a job.
Speaker 6: He was fired up too.
Speaker 1: He was job on the.
Speaker 3: Telecast saying, hey, guys, get ready, this is a head coach in a couple of months, and he will be. But yeah, Bones, who's had He's been an interim head coach in his past. I wonder if he didn't work his way up the ranks. We all seem to like bones fossil. So anyway, forty three to twenty Cowboys role, Let's hope Matty Stafford is healthy. And last note, you mentioned Cooper, Cup and Stafford Don on the same page. Cup and Pooka and Akua combined to go seven for sixty four in this game. That's basically like a half a production for these guys at other points this season. That's what they did combined. Let's take a break and then welcome in the pipe. All right, we're back and just cycling back to the thing, because again we have a lot of male listeners and maybe a lot of men that are new fathers or fathers to be.
Speaker 1: You don't. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: You are on call, like you need to be there post baby, and but you are basically a glorified gopher like that's and and whatever she tells you to do, you do. And if you have a chance to hold the baby, that's great too.
Speaker 1: But you're not. You're just not a vital You're not a vital piece of the pie.
Speaker 5: At that point, I thought I did a tremendous job personally, So you know he's thinking this personally.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you were great, since you were very flexible and and there for her.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: You're awake a lot. But I don't think that means you know that Sean McVay called the different games.
Speaker 5: Well to your point, back when this happened to me, you know our HR department, you know, a sleep at the wheel. I was back at work three days later, So there's that. There's that aspect of it.
Speaker 3: I'm not enough cleaning fingers, But how vital could you be if you're already back at work three days.
Speaker 5: No, I became completely a complete non endsity. You're a bit player, yeah, and kept that real sense.
Speaker 1: All right, It's time.
Speaker 3: For the Sunday Drive, presented by the first ever Toyota Grand Highlander.
Speaker 1: Let's head to the Bottle formerly known as Hines.
Speaker 11: From a forty four yard line, two left, three right, empty backfield for Trevor.
Speaker 6: He dropped four man rushed looks fires right side. Both caught coverage Jim five Nadian.
Speaker 11: Zone touchdown a touchdown pass from Trevor Lawrence to Travis dn A fifty six yards for the score.
Speaker 1: Break Frangie.
Speaker 3: Frankie w okav with the call. Trevor Lawrence through for two hundred and ninety two yards and hooked up with Travis DTN for that fifty six yard or late in the third quarter. It was a dag for the Jags, who ran their winning streak to four with a twenty to ten win over the Steelers. Yes, in Pittsburgh, we now welcome in the iconic pipe, Nick Shook Shooky. A road win in that environment tells me a lot about Doug Peterson's team.
Speaker 10: How say you, yeah, I mean it was a soggy day in Pittsburgh. It's been pretty poor weather here in the Midwest last day or two, and usually especially in that stadium where the field is notoriously pretty bad at holding up against the elements. It was gonna be a challenge, and especially for how this team operates offensively and really how the whole first half went for them, because they probably should have won this game by three scorers, maybe four scorers. They had plenty of opportunities, they just didn't finish drives. But Trevor Lawrence had a solid day overall. So it wasn't until that touchdown pass where it was like, finally they've broken through. They've They've put themselves far enough ahead where I feel comfortable that the Steelers are not going to come back and win this game. Yeah, big win for them going on the road, getting down there and continuing their winning streak. It's you know, the Jags are a sending baby.
Speaker 4: So we're doing TNF this week. I'm on the case with the recap little Steelers Titans. Before today started, I thought that might be like Tannehill versus Picket. Now it might be Trubisky versus Levice. What give me the give me the Mitch Trubisky update in terms of how he looked when he came in for Pickett, and and everything about how Pickett looked with the injury.
Speaker 10: If any matchup describes where we are as a league right now, it's that backup quarterbacks is called lore first off, but Trubisky looked like Trubisky. He put together a nice touchdown drive. It was an eight place, seventy five yard drive that George Pickens did the last twenty two yards worth of work. By the way, look up that highlight. He leaps over a defender and then gets that defender to take out the other defender, and then just slips that arm off of his leg and walks right into the end zone like one of those plays that you just see like a super athlete make like an alien, make super easy for him. It was great, But otherwise Trubisky was still Trubisky. He threw two picks. One of them mattered a lot because they still had a shot to come back in this game, and it effectively ended that. I mean, he's a backup for a reason. We know who he is. At this point. There's nothing really different. He'll he'll do some things that impress you, but overall he's still mitched Trubisky.
Speaker 1: They also lost Minka Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 5: The Steelers Travis Etn, who I think is you know, at this point just simply sort of underrated, was a big factor in this game. I just saw, like on on on X a lot of hate for Trevor Lawrence early on, like just like, hey, he's regressed. He looks like he's being coached by arabn Meyer well early on in the game. So I don't know where if that was just totally misguided, but like I know, there were some issues like would it do you feel like it was just sort of like the elements, the weather, just a bad little stretch, and he played well.
Speaker 10: Overall, he looked he played well. Yeah, I thought he looked a lot like he's looked for the last month. I think that's the big confusion with Trevor Lawrence. We've discussed this, you know, separately in relation to QB index, is that he hasn't had the spectacular game or produced all the highlights that you expect from him. But overall he's been very solid and he was very accurate today, again especially considering the elements, just all a few times they couldn't convert third down a few times.
Speaker 1: And that was that.
Speaker 10: But I liked most of what I saw from him, all the talents. That has not.
Speaker 3: Changed anything else from this game shook in terms of takeaways.
Speaker 10: Losing making Fitzpatrick hurts. I don't know the details and the severity of that at this point, but that was a direct contributor to why Travis etm was able to score that touchdown. Otherwise, I mean, it's a bummer for the Steelers watching Kenny Picky go down really hurts because last week it felt like they were taking that next step. Maybe this was where, you know, they won some games when they were a bad team. Maybe they end up winning more games as a good team. I don't know what they are now.
Speaker 4: But that's it's a rib injury, so we'll see how long term that is. He only averaged four yards per attempt on sixteen throws. You know, before he left and Steelers fans have been begging for them to bench Peterson and bringing Porter Junior. And he starts his first game and they go crazy and he's the one getting cooked by et That's.
Speaker 10: Not his fault, though, that's his fault. The safety should have had him over the top and came down, tried to drill down them a third and short play and left it wide open.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, by the way, where they got the pipe to that take, and he just it's fair, rushed it.
Speaker 6: It's fair.
Speaker 4: They've been begging for these young players to come in. They had a couple young cornerbacks play today and then left tackle.
Speaker 6: It's like, that's not gonna solve it. This is good.
Speaker 4: The Steelers were in the like they can't keep getting away with this U meme category for me, so I didn't want them to get away with another one. This Jaguars team is good. I have higher expectations now than I take.
Speaker 5: Hard Steelers fans. Greg feels good about what happened.
Speaker 1: And that was the Sunday Drive presented by Toyota.
Speaker 3: Let's go places learn more at toyota dot com slash Grand Highlander. All right, let's move on to an NFC East matchup. I hope it hit the over in Washington.
Speaker 14: Hurts calling for the football clock still running forty thirty nine, Hurts back, Hurts.
Speaker 15: Looking comes into the end zone.
Speaker 4: Come it has.
Speaker 16: Cut touchdowm hey j Boum.
Speaker 11: I don't know how he pulled them.
Speaker 6: He was near the sidelines, want to play.
Speaker 3: See this is what I was saying that Connie with a love colleague for many reasons including she's a real deal sports fan, real Philly fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Phillies didn't get it done, he kind of joked, but you got this Eagles team and he got the Sixers too, and the philsom back in April.
Speaker 3: Things are okay, especially when Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown are making magic every week. Hurts through four touchdown passes, including a pair to Brown and the thirty one to twenty one win over the Commanders. Shookie, are we as a society? You know, we don't allow such black magic? In terms of what I'm about to say, but is it crazy for me to throw it out there that AJ Brown should be in the MVP conversation season's midpoint because there is no one this side of well maybe Tyreek Hill that's even in his universe right now.
Speaker 1: In terms of production as a wide receiver.
Speaker 10: Lil Wayne once released an EP under the title I Am Not a Human being.
Speaker 6: Yeah that is AJ Brown. He's not human.
Speaker 5: Two recaps in a row with an alien reference by you. So, yeah, you've got marks a little too much Charles Davis in my here today.
Speaker 10: That's where it came from.
Speaker 6: But oh, I mean A G.
Speaker 10: Brown's incredible. Like let's say serio games with one hundred and twenty five plus receiving yards, he should absolutely be in the conversation for VP. Let's take it outside of quarterback. Let's open our minds to the other possibilities of potential galaxies beyond ours. Right, let's do that with the MVP as well. Let's let's put some receivers in there. He is the main reason that the Eagles win games, whether it's close or not. Jalen Hurts. The course has to put the ball on him, which he's doing a great job of. But it's it's really fun to watch man. He just does a spectacular thing or two every week. He catches every contested past. He's about as as reliable as death and taxes, but it has a positive connotation.
Speaker 3: Here's the stat he became the first player in NFL history AJ Brown to record one hundred and twenty five or more receiving yards than six consecutive games, raking a post merger record held by Megatron.
Speaker 4: This is, like sneakily one of the best matchups in the NFL. Every time they play it comes down to the wires. The same last year. Earlier this season, the Commanders had the best day anyone's had against the Eagles defense. Then they put up thirty one including four hundred and seventy two yards. They have a touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, but then the next two touchdowes and it came in quick succession. So tell me about this fourth quarter that the Eagles put up twenty one points in a row, including DeVante Smith finally getting off he gets ninety nine and a touch.
Speaker 6: And then Julio Jones.
Speaker 4: I know it was the only catchy out all day, but it was a tough catch and it's.
Speaker 6: A game winning catch. Julio Jones in the year twenty twenty three with a game win wearing number eighty, which just doesn't feel right now, not at all. It's gross.
Speaker 10: My reaction to this is it's not safe for work. So I'm going to censor myself because I shouted at the top of my lungs sitting here in my home office. Oh my god, Julio fing Jones. Yes, I I had to figure out who eighty was real quick, and then well, they don't have another receiver of that height that can make that type of play. It was nice to see that if he could actually be something, this might be the best receiving core in football, especially since they had Devonte Smith back now and they all contributed in this game to varying degrees. That turn really came at a crucial point in the game where you know it's back and forth. And these two games were so similar. Like you pointed out Greg that earlier in the season, Week four, the Commanders tied up against the Eagles at twenty four a piece with eight oh one left in the fourth eight forty seven left in the fourth. Today, the Eagles tied up with the Commanders at twenty four a piece. I go back and look it up because it was so similar. I've been here before. But that shift was the only time in the entire game where Sam Howe wasn't awesome, because he was really good throughout the day. They were getting pressures like according to how it's registered, but I wasn't seeing it. They only finished with one sack on the day, and he was just dropping all over the field. The only guys he missed were kind of downfield, just shot plays. Otherwise he calm cool, collected, moving that off, making it look easy, and then he ran into a rut. He throws a pass into traffic, read Blake and Ship picks it off. They produced a touchdown off of it, and suddenly his confidence is a little rattled. Now he's missing Terry McLaurin on third and fourth down, throws on a drive they absolutely got a convert on. They turn it over on downs and it was over from there. They're down by two touchdowns and they don't have enough to come back. That's what swung the game. It was a really entertaining year.
Speaker 5: It does feel a little bit like Jeff Fisher's old rams against Pete Carroll Seahawks, where it's like, why are the commanders?
Speaker 1: Why do they keep showing up against this team? Over and over?
Speaker 5: What I love about the Eagles because it's like we're a little mystified by their offense week to week. Not so much today obviously, when you've got Brown and Smith going catching all fifteen of their targets and doing what they did, it's like they're finding themselves.
Speaker 6: But I look at playing great right now. Right Earlier in.
Speaker 5: The year, though, they were able to run the ball with such power and might, and I like, the last two or three games that's not been the case. I'm just looking at they were two point seven yards per kerry. Is that just sort of a grain a game script scenario or is it like something is happening with this incredible offensive game.
Speaker 3: They score thirty eight and fumbled twice inside the three yard line of Washing.
Speaker 4: I think defenses are trying to take it away. I really noticed that in the Miami game, we really loaded up to stop the run and dare Jalen hurts to beat them, and then he keeps beating them. The timing of this game though for Washington, when they were winning, I thought, oh, there's another team that's maybe out of the trademark. It's really interesting because we heard reports that the result of this game will impact whether they potentially trade a pass rusher aka Chase Young or Mantes sweat most likely Chase Young. And then I'm like, well, what does this mean? You just played like the best team or one of the best teams in the NFC to in almost a standstill.
Speaker 6: You're only three and five.
Speaker 4: Ron Rivera isn't gonna be there next year if they don't make a playoffs and he's the one in theory that's trading these guys.
Speaker 6: Are they gonna make them trade?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but them losing this game, but in this fashion, it's confusing to me.
Speaker 6: It's why you got to push the trade deadline back.
Speaker 10: It feels like it's it could be an exact gative decision above him.
Speaker 4: For the who is that they don't have an executive above him.
Speaker 6: I guess the owner.
Speaker 4: I guess the owner is it's a new owner.
Speaker 10: I mean that.
Speaker 6: Grinding tape on Montes.
Speaker 4: But that also is maybe a new owner syndrome thing to do, like David Tepper has done it to Hey, no matter what he's like, I want you to go get picks. I'm not giving you a choice. Go trade one of these guys.
Speaker 1: I hate to think that this.
Speaker 3: We already have now witnessed the final game of the dynamic pass rushing duo, young and sweaty.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna find out in just a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Shook hop into your spaceship and zoom off to the gym and get.
Speaker 1: A pump in.
Speaker 10: Bro I'm not going to get into spaceship unless Mark loans me the multipurpose jacket that he's wearing again.
Speaker 6: Oh it's back a bit. I mean.
Speaker 3: You wait, that's Nick asked a question, what is the jacket a bit? The frequency in which you wear? We did touch on the NFL plus.
Speaker 4: It's on It's on the ATM podcast, So like everyone should follow that us on Instagram at n D atn pocket.
Speaker 5: I mean my forties into my year fifties has been a bit. So it's just you know, part and parcel of all that.
Speaker 3: So shook it was the answer I was looking. Yeah, that was some hard hitting journalism from the pipe. Alright, buddy, get him out of here. All right, let's head, uh, thank you to the pipe. As always, Let's head to the meadowlands where things got fareaky.
Speaker 12: Thomas Hennessy will snap, Thomas more Step will hold.
Speaker 11: Tirline ready the snap clean the plus conturnal.
Speaker 6: The kick is up and the kick cooks to the.
Speaker 17: Left, but it's done inside the left, up right for Sirloine and the Jets win.
Speaker 6: It in over time. And honestly, I'm not sure how.
Speaker 3: Bob was choosing with the gall and he is right for w EPN. According to let's start here, this is the New York for b New York game ends in a wild way, and I hit up my dad Keith that Dad, you want to chime in on this game? And he said, Noah, Danny, I don't even know what I would say, and I don't know what to say. And I was like, all right, that's fair according And this is why my dad was saying that. According to ESPN Analytics, the Giants had a ninety nine point nine percent win probability with less than one nineteen to go in the fourth quarter. But that's when things got miraculous. In the Meadowlands. Graham Ganot shanked a chippy on fourth and one, the Giants committed an ill timed off sides penalty Kavon, which was otherwise a great game from Kaevon.
Speaker 1: He was very nearly the hero.
Speaker 3: Then Zach Wilson gets a completion and a clock stoppage, a miracle clock stoppage with one second to play, which sets up the tying field goal. And then in overtime you heard that Greg the leg zerline completed the comeback after a PI call set the Jets up in the red zone.
Speaker 1: Thirteen ten Jetlife Stadium from Jet.
Speaker 3: Life Stadium, thirteen to ten, third straight victory for the Jets, and really, Mark, I was thinking about what you said.
Speaker 1: Quite frankly.
Speaker 3: You said it back in week one, when I was mourning what happened in that fateful Monday night with Aaron Rodgers, that you know, maybe this is going to be a weird, strange trip and a positive one for the Jets, and then you mentioned it again on Thursday. This team just seems there's something around this team that they find a way. And I cannot stress enough how poorly the Jets played in this game. And I understand that they're the Giants and they're a bad team, and bad teams find a way, but that is now three wins for the Jets that really you could argue that had no business winning, and yet they have, and that's why they're four and three and very much in the thick of things in the AFC playoff race.
Speaker 5: I think a magical carpet ride in the NFL, and we've witnessed a few of them don't typically look like it, and in box scores, they don't look like it. From drive to drive, it's a game that is so fascinating from a couple of different angles, and it's like, this is why I think the Jets are just they get caught in these strange little worlds. The teams were zero for eighteen and third downs in the first half. They combined for twenty four points. Like the record twenty four twenty four punts the record is twenty seven back in nineteen ninety eight, much more than points. They somehow went into overtime with a team in the New York Giants that had Tommy DeVito helping to negative nine total passing yards and you and the Giants somehow snuck into overtime. So it's like the Jets are clearly doing somethings very well. I just think they're a fascinating story. And if you can ever get to the doorway where you get Aaron Rodgers back and on the field again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's the defense, it's that's playing well, catching a break with Tyrod Taylor going out one of many injuries in this game. But Greg, it was it was. It was not the offense on any capacity. Zach Wilson made two big throws at the end of regulation and then drew the PI with a deep ball that the Jets receiver was mugged. But this very closely was a game and a referendum again on Wilson and how poor both Wilson the QB is and terrible the play calling with Nate Hackett was, and that all gets pushed aside for another week.
Speaker 4: The NFL is crazy like that because the Deno mont of this game I thought was gonna be our guy. I don't know, our guy Cavon Yeah, sacking Zach Wilson his third sack of the game on a play on a fourth down play where you got to get rid of the ball, and Wilson's showing absolutely no awareness and taking that sack when he tries to peel back and the Giants taking over up three infield goal range with not only a couple timeouts for the Jets, and it looks over that feels like that's the end of the game. Is Wilson blowing that? But the sequence is really crazy to go back and look at, because the Giants were rushing the ball well. Saquan ends up with one twenty eight on the ground. The drive before that, they moved the ball quite well, even though Devido again as Mark mentioned, had negative passing here at the time. They just moved the ball down the field before I think another Gono miss right then he missed two at the end of that game, and Saquon if you watch it on first down, actually he has a big hole, and you know they told him just don't no matter what you do, don't fumble it. And he kind of didn't. He almost like just was holding the ball like to make sure he doesn't fumble, and went down to maybe a little easier than he would have otherwise, and they get They end up getting one yard away on third and one and Gono misses it. And even at that point, it's basically over except.
Speaker 6: For that offsidees call.
Speaker 4: I mean, Wilson has a nice throw to get to the a little pass midfield, but it wouldn't have mattered.
Speaker 6: They didn't have any time in the middle.
Speaker 1: They would have clocked it and then thrown a hell marriage.
Speaker 4: That's why the Giants were allowing that to happen. But it happened to be an offside on Cavon. He was getting greedy and it wind up being a free play, and then that sets him up around the forty five for Wilson to make his best play of the game and for their kicker not to blow it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Greg Credit.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going there on our chat client where we figure out the rundown of games. After Kavon has the third sack, I go on to the chat client and I say, all right, here's the highlight. It's kave On's third sack. Never locked the Jets, which was my message to both Mark Sessler and Nick Westling, even though he's not on that chat. Well, myself and a full Zoo, an entire Zoo had locked the Jets in this game.
Speaker 1: So from a cave on perspective, like this was his.
Speaker 3: Coming out party, and I don't want to gloss over that because he has really come on in recent weeks. Despite the personal history of our podcast has you cannot say that he is not making the leap in year two and he had won the game and he was going to be the star of the game. So for to be him jumped off sides, that was remarkable. And yeah, it's really hard to wrap your head around it. That does feel like there's a cosmic energy around this team. But I don't want you anyone to think that I'm coming out of this game thinking they don't have a major problem because the quarterback is still not a player.
Speaker 1: And yes, the trade.
Speaker 3: Deadline's coming up, and I just said, what's the idea of bring in a veteran in the middle of the season.
Speaker 1: Say here's a playbook.
Speaker 3: We got a game on Sunday, but with like Ryan Tannehill maybe out of the mix, and we're trying to get the ball, get the torch to Aaron Rodgers. Is there something there other than Zach Wilson. But I don't think that's the way this team thinks. I think they're gonna ride with Wilson. Here is Brian Dable talking about the decision, because it was one that was hotly contested. It was fourth and one, less than a yard really after the Saquon play Greg's talking about, and they could have went for and they were running the ball well at that point, they were wearing down the Jets defensive line.
Speaker 1: They could have just run the ball.
Speaker 3: Either get the first down and niel it out or you don't get the first down on the Jets have like twenty five seconds and no timeouts or whatever it was, to go to the length of the field.
Speaker 1: Here's what Dable said, kick a field goal there.
Speaker 7: Then they have twenty four seconds with no timeouts and they need a touchdown. So counted. I'm making a field goal and then they'd have twenty four seconds but no timeouts to have to drive at the length. And our defense was playing really good all games. So that's why I made the decision.
Speaker 3: It's you know, the only thing I'll say is that Gano, who was a great kicker, having a bad year. Now there's a report during the game that he's got a bad need, that he's kicking through pain, that he might need surgery in the offseason, and it was a miserably rainy day at the Meatlands. To send him out there was maybe an unnecessary risk, and they got burned.
Speaker 4: Daniel Jones missed this game obviously, and there were reports before the game that he could be out another couple of weeks. Tyrod Taylor had a rib injury and left for that. Tommy DeVito character came in, and then they also lost Darren Waller to an injury almost right away, I think, to a hamstring.
Speaker 6: So this is a team.
Speaker 4: If you're a Giants fan losing to the Jets in this manner, it's about as dark as it gets.
Speaker 6: You have to feel a little cursed of what happened.
Speaker 5: It's and it's it's unfortunate because I'm looking at a team that in their last couple of games has become a thunderstorm on defense. They've given up fourteen points to the Bills, seven to a Commander's team that challenge the Eagles today in thirteen today, and it's like that side of the ball, the Wink Martindale experience is awakening and the offense is vanishing before But.
Speaker 4: All so crazy because they would be They would be celebrating the hell out of a truly incredible team win if they got that yard or they got that field goal like it would have been. I don't know what the stained power of DeVito would be, but it would be a hell of a win to pull this off and to beat your crosstown rivals on a day you lose your you're on your third quarterback and you lose Waller in all five and then.
Speaker 3: It doesn't Happenings had to happen right in a row for the Jets to happen, and they had a game against.
Speaker 5: Cleveland last year where like twenty five things need to happen, like this.
Speaker 1: Is a magical team, Greg, So to all rules.
Speaker 4: Get frown, I think you're right, and that's why you did a nice job with good jock.
Speaker 6: The I mean, like fifty eight minutes. Ever do it again. I'm telling you that was not a good job.
Speaker 3: But yeah, don't do it. I just stressed to you. But we got to move on. But uh, can I just say, can you fly up that Saquon tweet?
Speaker 1: I saw?
Speaker 3: Uh, this is crazy Zach Rosenblad, who does a great job for the athletic cover of the Jets. Saquon Barkley's dad was wearing full on Jets gear as they walked out of the stadium together.
Speaker 1: Barkley grew up a Jets fan. What that's like if you were on the Giants? Though? What what? It's crazy?
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 9: Why is he?
Speaker 6: I mean, you gotta switch this sun Just that's a day where you just stressed neutral.
Speaker 4: No, you you support your damn son. Maybe he maybe he didn't want to get harassed afterward.
Speaker 6: No, wait, that doesn't just stress neutral. It's a Giants one day.
Speaker 1: Or have the hat and take the hat and that.
Speaker 6: Is super wild some Jets fan.
Speaker 3: That's almost the craziest thing that came out of the game. Like when I saw that tweet, I was like, Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's gotta be gotta be top one or two in a weird game?
Speaker 1: All right? What that again?
Speaker 3: Keith didn't even know what to say, and neither do I quite frankly, I tried my best. Let's move on, Mark, Let's let's head to Seattle where the Browns nearly had one and let it get away from the.
Speaker 6: Shotgun, lock and wide to the far side.
Speaker 16: Jsm He gets the thrown near side, turns out field, got a bucker touchdown, Serrey Hawks, no flags, DK metcup with a great block, Jackson Smith and Jimbo turns up field and takes it in the foot corner of the end zone.
Speaker 1: Want to drive by the Hawks.
Speaker 16: Thank you Julian Love for the pick, and Seattle goes back on top.
Speaker 6: Twenty three to twenty.
Speaker 3: Steve Rible with the call Seahawks radio Gino Smith through a nine yard touchdown past the Jackson Smith and Jigbo thirty eight seconds to play.
Speaker 1: Like signature moment there.
Speaker 3: In the rookie season of that wide receiver in the Seahawks rally for a twenty four to twenty win over the Browns. Same Seahawks team that blew a fourteen point lead in this game and then fell behind and then found a way mark the Gino coaster fully operational, once again saving its best thrills for.
Speaker 1: The end of the ride. What a strange game.
Speaker 5: I want to point to one moment where I think that Cleveland's coaching decisions fell apart, and I would say that Kevin Stefanski, if you look at the experience with Jacoby Brissett a year ago and what he's done with PJ Walker, who is a roller coaster himself, he's a pretty great like. I think we pointed to Sean Payton in New Orleans as someone that could coach up like a backup quarterback to do the best version of what he can do, and I'd say that the best version of PJ Walker is still going to be mistake ridden. They're lucky that in the end of the going into the two minute warning, they had a chance to win this game. This was a game where PJ Walker had an ugly strip sack Jordan Brooks on the Seahawks, a really rough interception. They were down seventeen to seven at one point, but they ran the ball well. PJ Walker also will turn around and make a couple throws a game where he looked like he a complete mind meld with the Maari Cooper who plays better than expected week after week. But that said, just outside the two minute warning. It was three and third and three from the Cleveland forty one, and I'm just asking you got seconds to go into the two minut warning and they throw the ball and it turns into PJ. Walker's killer interception. It's it kind of to happen in Seattle. It reminds me of these moments where it's like, if you're a Seahawks fan, you've always thought about, like, run the ball in this key situation in our franchise history versus throw it. They were running the ball really well. I don't know why you throw the ball there and cause that mistake. It's the one moment in this game where I thought everything could have been different. They could have snuck out of here with a win. They had a couple incredible performances today.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you right.
Speaker 5: Now, Miles Garrett week after week is doing insane stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I watched this and I it's a game that got away from because you got a Gino Smith performance that was riddled with issues. Outside of hell, he will make big throws, but he had a couple bad interceptions in Cleveland just seemed like a team that was like, we're gonna do this somehow, even though it shouldn't be happening with the quarterback that we have in this game, and it didn't.
Speaker 1: I think it boiled down to that decision that was.
Speaker 6: Just kind of like luck.
Speaker 4: It's like third and three and it's a tip pass right at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 6: It wasn't like a bad throw. I don't I think keep the helmet of a blitzing right.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just say I'm more just saying, don't let what's the best higher percentage situation with the quarterback you're dealing with.
Speaker 4: That that's fair. And they ran the ball pretty well today. They've been up and down since Chubb left, more down than up, but today was decent. But they probably got caught in a situation where they they snap it with just over two minutes, so they're like, we're gonna get to the two anyway, the clock is gonna stop anyway. That's they're gonna be expecting a run. Let's throw it. But that might not be county on. That might not be leaning into the best part of your team. If you trust your offensive line and your running game like that, that is the spot for it. And and Gino's up and down, and he's even at the end where they threw the he threw the game winning touchdown, He put one in harm's way on first down. He keeps doing that in the red zone. He just always is going for it. And there were some major downs here. But they also put up seventeen points in the first quarter against the best defense in the league, So that's part of it too. It's like the whole game counts, and this I really tend to think this is a geno. It's like they can look incredible and then they can make a lot of mistakes. But it hasn't been easy to put quick points up on the Browns for the most part this year.
Speaker 6: The saying there was.
Speaker 5: A moment, there's I saw a lot of annoyed coaches today, and I think that Carrol had a point. There was a Pete Carroll was furious, and you don't know sometimes when you see them reacting, it's like somebody that happened like plays ago or a quarter ago. And we'll talk about Bill Belichick later, but there was a play where Miles Carroll was like, clearly just offside, and it's like, I think that's what.
Speaker 4: Care was on a Geno interception right before halftime, so they kind of gave away.
Speaker 5: I just I know it's not to rip on the officiating that gets tired, except that just seems like week to week they're these things. And Cleveland was attached to it last week and they're attached to it this week.
Speaker 1: Just wild stuff occurring.
Speaker 3: The Browns get the Cardinals next week and we'll we'll find out if Deshaun Watson will be the quarterback. You know, the PJ Walker thing is it has its limits.
Speaker 4: There was there was a report that he would be back within two weeks, so maybe not next week but the week after for Watson and the Seahawks with that forty nine ers loss are in first place here?
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 3: I don't anybody was predicting that when the Niners were world beaters three weeks ago.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh move Greg?
Speaker 6: What see You're just this is it's all so easy for you right now?
Speaker 4: Well's not easy. They just like fall into locks. This is what I was saying. It was like, I mean, not a day where the Jet's got Wes the West Zoo and Mark one let's calm down here about getting a lucky one.
Speaker 6: But this was a lucky one, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I of course I got railroaded by the Bengals today, but that was against one of my tenants to just never go against Joe Burrow, and I will not make that mistake again. And I can't complain about anything after what happened at the middle ends today.
Speaker 1: No, let's move on and head to the desert where the Cardinals lose every week, and now they get the Ravens.
Speaker 6: Raven's coming up.
Speaker 14: On the tenth play of this drive, Jackson with the ball, pumps once slings it to.
Speaker 6: The end zone, touchdown.
Speaker 2: Mark Andrews a homecoming six for the Ravens tight end.
Speaker 1: Everybody talks about Kelsey, and rightfully so.
Speaker 15: But Mark Andrews is one of the best tight ends in the National Football League and he doesn't get enough love.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a.
Speaker 4: Fair take, sure, I mean, but it's kind of like Tyler Lockett if every single person and says he's the most underrated wide receiver league, Like, at some point he's not under rated.
Speaker 6: They say that about Andrews all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's taking to a home Ravens crowd.
Speaker 3: But like you counterpoint, he's properly rated, right, That's what I mean. Everyone knows he's a good player and a great red zone threat. He's just not at that top, top level, right, like we all know, Ravens Radio Network. It wasn't easy, it wasn't always pretty, but the Ravens took care of business on Sunday. Gus Edwards ran for two of his three touchdowns after I INT's by the Baltimore d and the Ravens hung on to beat the Cards thirty one twenty four.
Speaker 1: Baltimore now six and two, a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A cushion atop the AFC North greg only two hundred and sixty eight yards for the top seed turvy Baltimore offense.
Speaker 1: But that defense they came to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the defense is the difference I think with this team, because the offense was outstanding last week. But I think it counts a little too much on Lamar Jackson just making great plays. And this is a game where you watch it. These two teams, like if you didn't know it was the Ravens and the Cardinals, they looked like two pretty even teams. The difference being one had a quarterback in Josh Dobbs, who threw just a terrible interception right before halftime. It was seven to seven at that point, and it set up the Ravens for a short field and they got ahead fourteen seven, and then he threw another really just poor decision. The first one was just a bad throw. He was misfiring early, and the second one was a bad decision that set up the Ravens for a touchdown. They were up twenty four to seven. The final score is thirty one to twenty four the raven The Cardinals had seven points with seven minutes left in this game.
Speaker 6: I don't know how this happened. Well I do kind of know how I happened.
Speaker 4: They scored a lot late and Josh Dobbs was like making great plays late, and they did get an on side kick that put three more points up on the board at the at the very end.
Speaker 6: But that was it. Dobbs.
Speaker 4: You know, we've said it, it's it's a diminishing returns type of season for him. But we're gonna get one more week. I think that was the most newsworthy thing to come from this game. Was afterwards, Jonathan Gannon said, Josh Dobbs will be starting next week, which is a little bit of a surprise because Kyler Murray is practicing fully and the broadcast team that was covering this game said they had a feeling, and there's been some reporting that Kyler Murray would be starting this week, but I think it's mentally him getting comfortable and getting up to speed with this offense is the reason why they're probably gonna wait one more week.
Speaker 5: Well, and you're one and seven, so what are we rushing somewhere back into the lineup for.
Speaker 3: There's a deadline where he needs to be active on the fifty three, but that doesn't mean he needs to play, So they'll check that box and then make the right decision, hopefully right.
Speaker 4: And I felt like I was watching the end of the Dobbs era but didn't happen. He actually, I mean that fourth quarter he made a lot of pretty special plays. But before that, it was just like the Ravens coming off of high felt like they were just like, let's try to let's try to win with the guys that no one ever talks about.
Speaker 6: Michael Pierce.
Speaker 4: Jason Zumma, our friend sent us a tweet saying he looked like Pete, Vince Wolfrid.
Speaker 6: It's true.
Speaker 4: You don't see a nose tackle dominate a game like Michael Pierce did. And then Geno Stone. We're gonna have a Gino off next week, raven Seahawks. Geno Stone, their backup safety, leads the NFL and intercept how about that?
Speaker 3: How about this that his five picks through eight games tied with Hall of Famer Ed Reid for the most by a Ravens player in the first eight games of a season. Gino Stone, Ladies and gentlemen, Gino Coaster.
Speaker 6: It's crazy. And this passing attack.
Speaker 4: They have one good week and you think they've made some progress and then like man, anytime they throw to Beckham, it's a bit of a disaster.
Speaker 6: He had an injury, got hit hard in the in the mid section.
Speaker 4: Four targets, no catches, not on the right same page, like Bateman made one really good catch, but Zay Flowers had nineteen yards and seven targets. Just like, Okay, let's move it forward. Gus Edwards is a nice underrated back. Let's move forward. But like, I don't trust their passing attack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that everyone you just mentioned because this version of Odell Beckham and Bateman and Flowers has been consistent.
Speaker 1: But it's like these guys are a week to week proposition.
Speaker 4: So we'll see. But they they could win in lots of ways. They can run the ball, they go in with defense.
Speaker 3: I saw a bubble up in a couple of places that this could be the Odell breakout catch, and then he.
Speaker 1: Has his first's that we're saying in London.
Speaker 3: It's as well they were saying it, and the people of England are very into Odell, so there was a lot of buzz around him being in town. But this is the first, the second time, it is one hundred and two game career that he did not have a catch.
Speaker 1: What do you get fifteen million dollars?
Speaker 5: Well, it's insane to think that. What did DeAndre Hopkins get. It's like, I don't considerably. We've paid the wrong person here and we be in Baltimore. That's on you.
Speaker 1: I did not pay a dime no.
Speaker 6: Cardinals. By the way, I would have the number one pick if the draft.
Speaker 1: Started, So maybe that's why I was like, oh, yeah, take another week, Kyler, I take another one.
Speaker 3: Get mentally comfortable. Oh, here's a new video game system, here's the PS five. There's a new Grand Theft Auto coming out. Work your way around it. Yes, delight, we'll take the iPad. Here's Grand Theft Auto seven.
Speaker 1: Yep that I'm out of the contract learned.
Speaker 3: Liberty City, fall in love, Curiate, Luxuriate in the urban warfare of it all, serious organization. Otherwise, speaking of the voice of God, Jason Zumwelt when I lived with him, we lived together in Hollywood back in the day, in the late aughts, and Jason voiced one of the most prominent characters in Grand Theft Auto.
Speaker 1: He was the He was like the man, I can't believe I'm forgetting his name. He's going to kill me like a bad guy or a good No.
Speaker 3: He was like the protagonists like near do well buddy yeah, and Jason like moderate, like celebrity. Gained off that because his voice was that game was so tremendously popular that in the gaming circles people knew was connected.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but that had to have been Roman Bellots, right, that Roman Bellot that's it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I could.
Speaker 5: It's a multiple lest goose. I've seen tweet about that. You look that up. But also some well tweeting, you know, deeper scouting reports.
Speaker 1: You know, he's our Don Pardo on some level.
Speaker 5: We don't know if Don Pardo could have succeeded on any of those shows that he was on as their mcs.
Speaker 1: Some Walt just slips right in this way Cameo, which I understand is falling on hard times.
Speaker 3: But if Cameo existed in two thousand and eight, Jay could have just done Roman's voice and paid the rent for the house in perpetuity in Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Well that raises questions as to why he didn't do that financially dumb move who didn't exist? That's why if it could have created it?
Speaker 3: All right, let's move on to Nashville, where the Titans got a nice breath, like a burst of fresh air through the door.
Speaker 15: I second and eleven play Fake Levis rolling to the right, looking looking firing deep that field, going for Westbrook, Akin.
Speaker 8: Titan Will leviis, Oh to watch?
Speaker 11: Has he has just thrown his fourth touchdown pass of this NFL.
Speaker 6: Thank you get right out of the city. Dude has got an arm WHOA.
Speaker 3: What a big time from It was kind of a Herberty throw. Oh yeah, yeah, going one way, throwing across the hashes right on the money to Westbrook A cap.
Speaker 1: I mean, whoa? That was an eye opener.
Speaker 3: Mike Keith, great call, WGFX, Welcome to the Big Show.
Speaker 1: Will Levis, the rookie quarterback, made.
Speaker 3: A grand entrance to the NFL on Sunday, tossing four touchdown passes on a twenty eight twenty three win over the Falcons.
Speaker 1: Here's a nice nug.
Speaker 3: Levis joins fran Tarkenton and Marcus Mariota as the only other qbs in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in their debut. Greggie uh, Levis Mania has arrived to save the Titan summer relevance.
Speaker 1: Am I right?
Speaker 6: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think this was one of the games today that made me look at a team differently. Certainly makes me look at Thursday Night Football differently.
Speaker 6: Well, Tuesday trade deadline, Gregor.
Speaker 4: Right, Maybe Ryan Tannehill, who looked close ish to playing this game, isn't gonna be taking this job back.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think he.
Speaker 4: I don't think they possibly get I mean they even started the game mixing in a little Malik Willis, and every time Willis came into poor crowd booed poor Malik Willis, not that he did anything.
Speaker 3: Which Levis addressed after the game, saying he was disappointed by the crowd, which is nice.
Speaker 5: I like that as the leadership first starting, he's already telling the crowd what to do.
Speaker 1: We throw four touchdowns, you get it.
Speaker 4: It was pretty rough because they bring in Willis into no fault of Willis. The first snap to Willis like goes over his head for a fumble and then so it was like everyone was very tough at it. But wow, Willis, I mean will Levis, who looked awful in the preseason, had some great schemed up deep throws, and he had some throws that weren't schemed up and he just threw it deep anyway. He put on that was Houston oiler throwbacks, very controversial, and he said, I'm gonna put the soul of warn Moon in my body, and it doesn't matter if the play calls for a seven yard throw, I'm throwing at sixty yards down the field.
Speaker 6: The best throw he.
Speaker 4: Had maybe the entire game, actually was broken up at the last second to Traylon Burks. Another deep one he had down that Perks couldn't get his hands on. He could have had six plays over thirty yards in this game. Three of these touchdowns Dan Yes, rank among the longest air yard touchdowns of the oh hell air yards touched out of the entire season, and he did it in his first game. I mean he throws those rain makers. He is like the Russell Wilson sexy deep ball. I mean, there is no business.
Speaker 3: Ryan Tannehill has had a great career and if he gets moved in a trade, we'll be on the airwaves talking about it.
Speaker 1: If you can trust they of that.
Speaker 3: But at this stage of his career, what he's giving them versus what the upside of just developing and letting Levis play it, just it makes too much sense that he's stays in the lineup. I mean, a guy that can turn DeAndre Hopkins into a star again catching three touchdown passes in this game, and yeah, this is a game that I can't wait to watch. From the Lewis side, From the Atlanta side of things, Desmond Ritter has been a problem for that team all season. There's been a lot of outside the building cries to get Taylor Heineke into the game and into the lineup to give them a little bit of consistency and a spark and it finally happens in this game, and he did put up twenty points in the second half as the quarterback. After the game, and Arthur Smith, who I've been getting on all year, I have not thought he's done a great job this year in a lot of ways, talked about the reason for Ritter coming out of the game, and it just led to more questions around a very confusing team.
Speaker 1: Every week, it's something new with this team.
Speaker 18: I mean, those are obvious questions you gotta ask, you know, we just finish this gamely. We had a lot of confidence and Dez. We didn't take him out for performance issues. But that's why Taylor's here to be able to come in as a backup and give us a shot to win.
Speaker 3: So you didn't take the quarterback out Ridder for performance issues?
Speaker 1: Then what did he greg? What did he come out for? Then? Like? Why why can't this guy just be straight with us?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Like why is he so cagy? Because it does not, it does not. It's not a good look.
Speaker 4: No, they tested him for a concussion and I could tell everyone who wasn't watching this game, which is you know, ninety five percent of America understandably is like, oh, well, let's see, like when when Ridder was cleared, like, let's see what happens. And no, they announced that he was cleared, but he must have taken the test going into halftime or at halftime, because he came out for the second half wearing a baseball hat and no backup quarterback has ever clapped more and high five his teammates and showed he's a good teammate and good lead leader and all that stuff more than Desmon Riddard in this game. So there was no consideration to bringing Ridder back in. Smith said that they were just being careful. I don't know, but they had tested him for a concussion. I never saw him get hit in the head anyways, but they did test him apparently for a.
Speaker 1: Concussion at five times in the first hand right.
Speaker 6: And so he's top five.
Speaker 4: The ultimate reason why he got benched was he was taking sacks he shouldn't take.
Speaker 6: He threw.
Speaker 4: He's top five in the league in interceptions, and he had another fumble in this game. So he's top five in the league in sacks, taking interceptions, in fumbles.
Speaker 5: I mean, his calling card was at least I won't make mistakes, like right up until a month ago. I mean, i'd say, like, does Taylor Heinekey with what you saw, compel Arthur Smith to maybe make a change.
Speaker 4: We got great, we got the good Heinekey. He played really well.
Speaker 3: You guys are talking as logical followers of the sport. I think Arthur Smith one of the problems with him is he's stubborn and hard headed and almost rejects any kind of hypothesis around his team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so like this idea that you should.
Speaker 1: Put in Heineke.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, it makes sense, But he can't even say in the postgame presser that Richard didn't play well and how to be replaced as a result.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what's going to do.
Speaker 4: I don't either, And maybe he's trying to like leave himself an out of He's not sure in the moment what he's gonna do next week. They Heineke came in and it was at halftime fourteen to three Titans. Heinek came in and he didn't really do anything. It was all the running game on the first possession, but they scored their first five of six possessions if or four out of their first five possessions, including two touchdowns. So he put up twenty points in his first five possessions, and they would have come back and had a Heineke comeback victory if Levis didn't just keep answering by dropping bombs. And Levis did a nice jug He was getting to his second read, by the way, in a way that like Desmond Richard doesn't And so that was why early on I was like, Okay, there's one quarterback here who never gets to his second read, and then another who actually is in his first game.
Speaker 6: So Heinike I would go with him.
Speaker 3: If Arthur Smith does not start telling Heinekee next week against and it's good to be in the Falcons because your schedule is beautiful.
Speaker 1: They get the Vikings next week without a quarterback. He should have his head checked.
Speaker 3: Let's see, all right, let's take a break and then we'll finish the games.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back.
Speaker 3: Let's check in on the AFC East where the Dolphins hosted the Patriots.
Speaker 6: Touch the middle, touched down Miami. It's Wattle.
Speaker 1: He walked into the end zone.
Speaker 16: Don't motion, don't look it out at Tyreek Hill and come back to Wattle in the middle of the field wide open, broken coverage, nobody's around him.
Speaker 1: How's that for a third and short a cent? What is that song they played.
Speaker 3: In Miami Cowboys' Triving Me crazy?
Speaker 1: It like takes me out of the moment.
Speaker 6: It doesn't feel very like South Beach ish.
Speaker 3: I'm no fan of the man, but just like put on some Pitbull and call it a day.
Speaker 6: Something up beat fitting.
Speaker 1: What are we doing on this? Like hokey pokey?
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 4: We go to the minority ownership here and go with a little turn the beat around, Gloria, let's got.
Speaker 1: A little Miami sound machine.
Speaker 5: Greggy's right, I assume they would play that during the game at something.
Speaker 1: Come on, baby, all right?
Speaker 4: Sorry for our younger listeners, Gloria asked if I was a recording artist.
Speaker 1: Twenty years younger, is this is what they're playing?
Speaker 5: What Miami?
Speaker 1: It's traditional?
Speaker 6: I mean it could use an update.
Speaker 4: It stops us in our tracks, just like just like, uh just ended.
Speaker 1: Our whole show. What a disgrace.
Speaker 6: And you know it.
Speaker 3: And the Dolbinsons are gonna get mad and be like, no, it's tradition. If the if the Jets had a something like that, you'd love it. No, I say change it might be true. Put on some Billy Joel or something. Let's try to get the show back on track, all right. The Dolphins do take care of business though, thirty one seventeen over the Patriots. So after they were stymied for the most part by Belichick and company the first matchup at Foxborough, the Dolphins take care of business to unbelievable again. He's six and zero against Belichick. He threw for three twenty four and three touchdowns in the game.
Speaker 4: Greg, I am not surprised by this, you know, as a company man, I'm glad that the Dolphins, you know, got to Germany with a win. You know, they've got a big company game here in Germany next week. Dolphins chiefs don't have to I mean, what do you want me to say?
Speaker 8: J C.
Speaker 4: Jackson returns to the Patriots to pretend that he has to try to, you know, guard Jalen Wattle and Tyreek Hill like you.
Speaker 6: Did earlier in the season.
Speaker 5: Well, and he had a tough penalty in the end zone.
Speaker 1: That is why you saw.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you watched this, but Bill Belichick was going absolute lead berserk for the concept that Belichick's like eased up and he's chilling, and he doesn't care about their record, Like I have not seen him where this worked up all year.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was going off, like was there a concept that Bill Belichick didn't care? Well, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think anyone would believe that, but just that he's maybe you know, as an older person, he's you know, a little less rough around the edges. He was going nuts. It wasn't it wasn't. It was a bad call. It led to a Dolphin's touchdown. But it's like the Patriots on offense was obviously just living on the edge. They were in this game, and it kind of looked a little bit like it could end up the way the first one did. There was a Dolphins interception and a Dolphin's fumble that allowed the Patriots to score ten points basically on short fields, and that's what allowed them to hang around. Then the injury started to happen. New England, who already had essentially in this game no one producing anything through the air, lost Kendrick Bourne to a knee injury that looked pretty bad. We'll see what happens there. Devonte Parker went out with a head injury, Juwan Bentley went out their linebacker.
Speaker 1: They just started to lose guys.
Speaker 5: And to your point saying that the Dolphins just took care of business, there's no way to stop what they have going through the air if you're starting to lose people. And Waddle went seven for one to twenty one with a touchdown, Tyreek Hill eight for one hundred and twelve. It was just so it kind of looked like the video game version of what we see from the Dolphins week after week. They're not running the ball the same way they were before, but there's this new element that I think Vic Fangio will be smiling about because Jalen Ramsey returned and had an incredible interception in return and like you know, I know he looked a little bit less like Jalen Ramsey with his final months with the Rams. I kind of wonder if it helps mcfonjo do what he wants to do a little bit with his stepense. He looked great today. He played every snap right, he played every snap well. He I just mean, they didn't have any cornerbacks and you're adding he.
Speaker 1: Wasn't a total difference maker in the end of his Ramsy.
Speaker 5: He wasn't but today he maybe it's maybe it's just fit or what's going on. But like the interception forced, a fumble played, every snap allowed zero yards and it's like this is this is nice for Miami.
Speaker 1: It's a nice development for a team that's right in the mix.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that because I would pick cornerback as maybe the entire team's biggest weakness so far this season. So you're adding Jalen Ramsey right where you need it. And I think it's nice to see a big game from Wadaw. He's had a sneaky quiet year so far. Uh and uh, they're they're tough to deal with when both of them are cooking.
Speaker 1: Anything else in this one.
Speaker 5: No, I just see, like you know, with Christian Gonzalez, who was you know you had him last time. They're missing guys and it's like this team already just his talent poor And I don't see a way out for New England even where I think Miami played like a C plus version of who they can be.
Speaker 4: It's a come back to earth game for them too. And trade deadline. You know, josh U Jay has been mentioned as a as a guy who could get he's banged up right now. I mean they they are an incredibly injured team on top of being talent.
Speaker 3: For listen, I'm I'm not the biggest fan of flow Rider, but if you want to do like he's from Miami, fit the right round song? DJ Collins from Miami. Are you assuming that the Miami.
Speaker 1: Song they played during the entire It's not.
Speaker 3: The first time that I clocked that, because we've been covering a lot of touchdowns on the show from the Dolphins, because they've been remarkably productive.
Speaker 1: But it's they have. It's a problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have a Miami you Julio Iglesias and Enrique Iglesias, either Iglesias I would even take I will be your hero BABYOK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an insult to those artists. Grace pretty Ricky is from Miami. Don't even know who that.
Speaker 4: Is, Ricky Mark, No, he's not from me.
Speaker 6: All right, shout out, give give Dolphins a look. Everyone gets on them. They don't.
Speaker 4: They don't be the bad teams. You know what they don't do. They don't ever lose the games that they're supposed to win. They win them all, and they win them all convincingly. There's almost no teams in the NFL like that, and.
Speaker 3: They are in first place in the AFC East by a game on the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 1: So everything is going to plan so far.
Speaker 3: Let's head to Lucas Oil Stadium where the Cults are looking to take out the Saints.
Speaker 15: Same alignment, Taysom at quarterback, there's Colin Saunders. Taysom keeps it Chasom Hill takes it in for the touchdown, his second score. Following Colin Sanders seizur ruies and the Saints get a huge one yard touchdown.
Speaker 6: Up fourteen.
Speaker 1: Looking at fifteen.
Speaker 6: Saints Radio with the call.
Speaker 1: Taysom Hill.
Speaker 3: You know every season he pops up here and there and is like, oh, here's a big game for Jason Hill. You rush for sixty three yards, two touchdowns.
Speaker 6: He just involved.
Speaker 3: He had a fourteen yard catching this game. Derek Carr threw for two touchdowns and over three hundred yards again, and hey, look at this.
Speaker 1: The Saints, a team that we try to figure.
Speaker 3: Out around these parts, win again thirty eight to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: So you know, they very nearly took.
Speaker 3: One in prime time, a painful loss on an end zone drop late in that game. They bounce back and put up thirty eight points against the Colts and they're back to five hundred and win a bowl Division.
Speaker 4: I went and looked through the numbers. This was the best offensive performance of the Dennis Allen era. This was the first time we were like, oh, yeah, they do have all these talented players, and it doesn't start with Taysom Hill. But I gotta say, watching Taysom Hill this year, he's thirty three years old, sneaky old. I think he's better than ever. And this is the first time in my life, at least I know our great friend Chris Wesley would always be asking for more Taysom but all season I've been saying I need some more Taysom Hill. He's one of the best players on this team. And you mentioned you had sixty three yards on the ground that included a twenty yard touchdown run that was like a beautiful run as good a power run with explosion and running through the tacklers any running back had all day. It was also the first twenty yard run any Sames running back has had all year, So that goes to say, you know what they've been explosiveness wise, He's had nice receiving days the last couple of weeks. He had fifty receiving yards last week, forty nine week before. And then you put him at quarterback and he had one throw or two throws and one of them is a forty four yard throw to Rashid Shahed the other guy want to point out of that guy who had three catches today. One was where he took a potential Taysom Hill interception and yanked it away from the defender for forty four Another one was for fifty eight yards, and then another was to seal the game, a fifty one yarder at the very end when they're trying to run clock and they don't get conservative and car puts up a beauty and he goes out of bound with a fifty one. That is three catches for what one fifty three? That is Randy Moss.
Speaker 3: Im going to say that's Randy Boss against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving or whatever it was.
Speaker 6: It is actually beautiful.
Speaker 4: And Shaheed after he makes that play to end it does this Steph Curry like night Night, I'm putting the Colts to sleep.
Speaker 6: I loved it. What a performance by the scene.
Speaker 5: It's pretty incredible, Like Taysom Hill, after today's performance, is one of two players in NFL history with twenty five plus rushing touchdowns, ten plus passing, and ten plus receiving. The only other player is a guy that just wouldn't exist this way.
Speaker 1: It was Frank Gifford.
Speaker 5: Like it kind of makes me wonder why there aren't at least like four or five dudes like this in the league.
Speaker 1: But he's really the only one that.
Speaker 6: They couldn't play quarterback well enough.
Speaker 5: But that is sane, But like, these are the best athletes on the planet, Like Taysom Hill remains this complete in isolated fascination and he's still doing it.
Speaker 4: And he's actually adding things to his game because he's been like a legit tight end at times this year. Juwan Johnson was out for a few weeks and he was taking legit tight ends naps and doing pretty well.
Speaker 6: That Johnson came back in today to help.
Speaker 4: But I was really if you're a Saints fan, you were really encouraged because Kamara had his best game I thought of this season. You were asking for some explosive mind for him. He gets two touchdowns, runs over a guy on a nice angle out. They were a little more creative. He had four catches for fifty one yards through the air. That was, you know, was much different. Carr had a nice solid game, three hundred and ten yards, so I.
Speaker 1: Was wondering if he would come up. I know, it's like we've mentioned about twelve people, not Derek Car.
Speaker 6: Yet Derek Carr played a really good game.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is they said they had five hundred and eleven total yards. This is this is the peak of what they imagine this offense to be.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're right about Hill.
Speaker 3: They're gonna, if they're smart, they're gonna keep him involved because they're better with him.
Speaker 4: And on some really big play plays in the game, especially early, they it was Car and Michael Thomas completing some difficult throw. So about the Colts, I give them credit, I don't give the crowd credit. Mark Sanchez pointed this out. A lot of the crowd started leaving at thirty five to twenty seven. Look, that's a one score game and they had just punted the ball away, but there was only like five minutes.
Speaker 1: Left to traf.
Speaker 6: That's a bad job.
Speaker 1: Quarter bro.
Speaker 4: Minshew is up and down every game. Two hundred and thirteen yards on forty one attempts. There were some like great Minshew plays, and there were some you know, total headstrack scratchers, and a huge interception at the end in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Believe that helped seal it. For the same Why Isida Tiller still not getting a full workload at this point? Twelve for ninety five, Greg, it.
Speaker 6: Is so missed. He had seven for eighty two in the first quarter.
Speaker 4: Come on, what did he get hurt on? They just kept going three and half smart. It was a very streaky, strange game. It was pretty entertaining, actually, but he looked fantastic. And then Zach Moss started running so well and he's so good on the goal line that they were using him in that spot. But it was strange. They just didn't have the ball very much. I don't know, I don't know. I do like havin Jonathan Taylor back in.
Speaker 1: My life, though. One more game.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Charlotte where the Panthers they were looking for that first win, but they finally get it. Pinero, this is as I said he had a feeling on a Thursday show.
Speaker 9: I had to get twenty three yards for the Panthers first win of the season from the right half Hippy, Let's do it again, Jansen snap hackers hole Pinero's kick the Panthers win the first win of the Frank right Jara Bryce Youngs first win.
Speaker 1: How's the Panthers her back?
Speaker 9: Fifteen to thirteen, Carolina over Houston your final booth.
Speaker 3: I have not said this name because the Panthers had not one. A Niche schroph with the call w rf X Pinero. Yes, he jumped on the back of his teammate. Was like he was riding a little a pony or a little pony through the open prairie land. He kicks the twenty three yarder that lifts the Panthers to a fifteen thirteen win over the Texans. Tough loss, obviously for the Texans, a team that there's been a lot of excitement around getting their act together, while you don't lose to a winless team and expect us to take Yes, seriously, what happened?
Speaker 1: Sestog I thought.
Speaker 5: Both teams put forth arguably their best defensive performances of the year. Neither team crossed two hundred and thirty yards and it looked like it that said, I I guess like the focus is like it's you know, Bryce Young versus c J.
Speaker 1: Stroud, Wow, and Bryce Young.
Speaker 5: You know, I think Greg you mentioned it on the on the preview show that in the last couple of games there's been these moments and that's not like we're looking for one play out of the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 5: I thought there were there were legitimate signs that Bryce Young I think has a toughness that's underrated.
Speaker 1: He took a lot of punishment in this game.
Speaker 5: The Texans, who have been came in the league with I think the ninth fewest sacks, sacked him five times.
Speaker 1: Will Anderson is a star. They've got some players on that defense.
Speaker 5: They're well coached, and like every time Bryce Young took punishment, he just kept up, get up and just got up and kind of there was a goal line stand where like they the Panthers were stopped. But then on the next drive, Bryce Young goes down the field and leads him to a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Game.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of things happen, Like Bryce Young is starting to show you things there was and I know, you know Adam Thielen, everyone wrote him off. He's been really good on this team, and like he had he caught a thirty one yard pass from Bryce Young and was this incredible shot that showed you his you know, his accuracy as strength. There was a play where Bryce shung hit DJ Shark where he's kind of hung around in the pocket, stepped up, saw the field. Chark wasn't his first target, I don't think, and he made it with good vision, hit him and it's like you're just seeing the win aside, there was progress and I thought that the Panthers defense. Frankie Louvo I feel like as a guy just shows up every week.
Speaker 1: And like he had a monster game. His mom came in from.
Speaker 5: Like overseas to see him for the first time ever in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And Frankie Louvin, guy Mark what do you mean me? Another guy?
Speaker 5: Dante Jackson, Ryan Burns, Derek Brown, like they they turned the Texans offense into a situation where John McClain, their longtime beat writer, was going nuts about the offensive play calling the whole thing. He was, Yeah, I love when he gets frustrated, and he had to. He had a reason to be today.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a step back for the Texans offense to some degree, but I think both teams, like you kind of got the best version of their defenses, and I've come out a little more encouraged about what the Panthers might be building on offense.
Speaker 4: Sneaky big moment for their organization. They are they are very much aware of the Stroud Bryce Young thing. And to get the win in this game, I think that's big. And for him to outplay Stroud. Stroud's had his too least efficient games in a row. It's gonna happen rookie quarterbacks. It's not all gonna be great. But he struggled a little bit in that game right before the bye and then and coming out of it as well. It's a different offensive coordinator, different play caller for Bryce Young, and so the running game didn't do anything. But I think that's you gotta be pretty encouraged. You get a new play caller and you suddenly throw for over seven yards percent. Good job, Good job by the It's always a nice moment when the last team without a win, yeah, gets a win. The celebration is always a little extra. It's Cleo Lemon to Greg camer Real. I mean, the celebration is bigger the later in the season you go.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy for Frank Reich, though, I mean, it's been it's been tough watching old Frank age like a two term president. These press conferences all year have been difficult, so you had to you has to feel great to finally get off the schneid. And sure enough, a nice scene in the the Panthers locker room, you know, right before the bye he handed over play calling duties to oh see Thomas Brown and uh, I will play the clip.
Speaker 1: Thank you to the Panthers Twitter handle. This one means they all mean a lot. This one means a lot to me.
Speaker 6: Whoa, whoa.
Speaker 11: We knew he was gonna be a beast when he got here, and when the game was on the line, he called the perfect series, right Thomas Brown?
Speaker 3: Really nice and and you see the emotion there in Frank Reich's eyes and he he made it clear guys that that even though we had speculated it and no one knows maybe the true story, but Reike said it was one hundred percent his decision. He'd always planned to give round the play calling duties. And he said that he called it, you know, a perfect final series there to help clinch the win.
Speaker 6: Very cool and uh, you know, bad news there for Bears fans. That kind of day.
Speaker 1: Yes, good call and look at and I was.
Speaker 5: I spent the last month being really tough on Frank Reich, who is probably historically one of the most heroic backup quarterbacks of all time, and did things that I saw visually that changed my life as a football fan. So another huge win for my uh, predictive abilities and everything else.
Speaker 1: Like I did it. It's like he's it's hard why it's like the easiest guy to root for, and that's the guy. I'm like, that's the guy cross their target on his back. Yeah, but you know what, how about maybe I refocus. Don't beat yourself up, buddy.
Speaker 3: It has been a tough thing for the Panthers, but they have a positive Sunday. I can't say the same for those Chicago Gobert's Greg Rosenthal.
Speaker 1: Let's head to Sunday night football.
Speaker 12: Pisco formation now with Eckler behind Herbert rolling.
Speaker 3: To his right, sets his feet, there's the screen to Eckler makes the first man miss and there's Eckler.
Speaker 2: What's sideline to the twenty fifteen ten flowers the shoulder, the touchdown shushers Bostin Eckler thirty nine yards.
Speaker 6: Ten historic touchdown for Eckler.
Speaker 3: A historic touchdown for Eckler. Matt money Smith, our buddy, the original voice of God for around the NFL with the call for Charges Radio.
Speaker 1: It's historic.
Speaker 3: Thank you Eric Roberts with the que because that's four hundred career receptions, thirty touchdown receptions and forty tds for Eckler since the beginning of twenty twenty one to one of the premier producers at the running back position in this decade. And that just got the ball rolling for the Chargers, who marched down the field for their first points of the game and then roll to a thirty to thirteen win over the woebegone Chicago Bears. The Tyson page in story hits a little bump in the road. That bump Mark Cesla is reality reality bites.
Speaker 5: I mean, isn't this the like the Chargers game we've waited for? They refuse to give it to us, you know, for weeks and months in a row. But tonight their drive chart opens with touchdown, touchdown, field goal, touchdown, field goal. Oh, a little punt just to get that in the mix, and then field goal. It's like and then they you know, then the game is over. At that point it's like, let's be real that we were in the like the rare situation where the Chargers game is happening about forty feet from our office, so that's why we circled home to record this here where we do and like the game was well well in hand by the time we were driving home, and I spent thirty to forty minutes seen to Matt Murney, Smith and Daniel Jeremiah and like, I know, we like to take one of them and actors if they don't exist, But they did a wonderful job.
Speaker 1: It's like they actually got to.
Speaker 5: Call a game that didn't come down to the final two seconds and have something go so totally insane and crazy, and we're not talking about Brandon Stealey's job security for once, and they handled their business and they looked like the sum of their parts and they played a lesser team and looked like it.
Speaker 1: And that's all I kind of have been asking for.
Speaker 5: From the Chargers from the start of the season, and tonight they did it. And that's enough that that's all I that's all I need, and they did it tonight.
Speaker 6: It's all Mark Neids, It's all Mark needs in the world. The big time Chargers win.
Speaker 1: Greg, Greg, have you noticed that?
Speaker 3: Like, yes, we did head back to our respective homes to finish the pod. It's like a totally different Sessler now. He's even talking differently. He's a softer tone, he's more introspective.
Speaker 1: Uh, there is. I'm happy to have different sets about him. It's happy.
Speaker 6: It's a totally new mark. It's a new generation.
Speaker 4: I mean that this Chargers victory has totally changed his insides. In his heart, he's just so excited. I look, it's nice you get to three and four. That's what we asked for if they had lost this game.
Speaker 6: You're right.
Speaker 4: Brandon Staley shaves what a friend of mine referred to as Staley's podcast beard.
Speaker 6: He shaved it. He said he wanted to reset, so he's going clean shaven.
Speaker 4: So good job by him. I do like seeing Joey Bosa. Look the very first drive of the game, he steps up with a huge sack to end the drive. He had a big fourth down stop later in the game. Like I've been wanting their big players to make play. Derwin James was good in coverage, had an interception tonight. Herbert starts eleven for eleven for one point. Twenty like Quintin Johnston, the number one pick who's been struggling, all made plays like it was a feel good night. So it's great you move ahead, you get to three and four. Other teams haven't been blasting the bear, so it's nice that they did. All the players that they need to step up stepped up. Yeah, and Justin Herbert is.
Speaker 3: He took a wicked shot late in this game, which you don't like to see, and it was a wicked shot, you know, in the ribs area, And Collinsworth pointed out, you know, this is a guy who's had a season significantly impacted last year by a rib injury from a tough hit against the Chiefs in primetime if you remember that. But up until that point, the Chargers did excellent work protecting him. He did not take any sacks in the game. He had time to throw, and you saw what happens when Herbert gets that protection.
Speaker 1: He got everybody involved.
Speaker 3: He completed thirty one to forty passes, nearly three hundred yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions. So on a day mark where the Chargers rushing game did nothing, managing a pathetic fifty four yards on twenty five carries, when you have a quarterback like Herbert, that's okay if he can make it hum in other ways and against I guess I'll say Mark, like, yes, this is definitely progress for the Chargers, who are al urgic to putting away teams. But if you could have put away this Bears team starting Tyson Bageent in your building on Sunday night, you just shut down the season. So there are more tests to come for this team. But at least they got back in the win calm and can feel good about themselves.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, I mean I think, like you know, coming into this week, we were openly talking about the fact that perhaps the head coach is you know, on the hot seat if they didn't win this game, and so you take care of it in like non typical Chargers fashion. You've got the Jets next week in New York. That defense, I think the same thing applies. It's a Monday night game, it's two weeks in a row where you're on an island game where like we're assessing the Brandon Staley experience, we're assessing what Justin Herbert is in this offense.
Speaker 1: Like he's not the problem, he's the solution.
Speaker 5: But you know, I I to me, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Chargers experience in general, but I do think, like you got to go handle the team you should be. We talked about that with the Dolphins earlier in this recap. Go be like that team. At least this was a step in that direction, Like you've got all these parts, Like their roster is better than eighty percent of the league, and they don't play that way, and that's why they're so frustrating. So tonight the experience was different, and like, I just need fresh experiences.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm enthused by the whole experience.
Speaker 14: Greg.
Speaker 4: It is, it is, it is tangible, and like we could have come out of this game enthused about Tyson Badge and instead, look, he hit a big throw on his very first throw of the game and they barely tried another deep throw the whole rest of the game. Veayalis Jones was kind of a disastrous draft pick for them, you know, messed up what should have been a touchdown. But they wouldn't have competed in this game anyways, and it's kind of good to put away though, Like, well, Justin Fields could have learned a thing or two by, you know, seeing what Beijan did last week. It's a little more of a back to reality game, kind of like the Patriots earlier today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Bears is an organization need to you know, keep keep their eye on the ball here and not get distracted by shiny things like a Tyson page. And it's still about developing justin fields and seeing if he is the guy you want to get behind beyond the season. And there's still time to do that. But they are out of the mix in all other ways. Any other thoughts on this game. Guy's kind of a quiet Sunday night football game. Not a lot of drama or intrigue to be frank.
Speaker 6: No, I'm waiting to hear what Mark has next.
Speaker 3: Well, I have something before we get to Mark, and Mark has got something that we're all excited to hear. But you know, I mentioned, I mentioned the old man was too stunned to even have comments about the Jets win over the Giants. On my way home, I got a text that he changed his mind. Hit it Roberts.
Speaker 17: His name is Keith. He no doubt about it. He's a big Jets man. Willity go to say bullmapping game to stick. Will you go to s Bullmappen.
Speaker 8: Game to say, here's my review of today's Jet game. That ending probably was one of the most exciting endings that I've ever seen with the Jets, to have the clock stop with one second, and then the Jets hitting a tying field goal and then getting into overtime and then winning the game with another field goal. The fact that they played so poorly didn't seem to bother me so much thinking about it later, but the fact that they won and they beat the Giants with something that I'll always think of as one of the games that will be in Jet history. It's just a tough game, but not the best game, but a great thanks.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Papa.
Speaker 3: And I have to say, like I sometimes get tagged as being a Giant's apologist in some ways on the show, and it is true that moving west has softened my feelings about the Giants because I have some like connections to them, as you know, a connection to my old life back in New York. But Keith Hansas has no such you know, conflicts of the mind. He hates the Giants, has always hated the Giants. Grew up in the Bronx, which is Giants country. They used to play in Yankee Stadium and he had no time for that team. Ever, So anytime the Jets can embarrassed the Giants or put a historic loss on them in terms of one that will never be forgotten. I know my dad, even though he sounds a little bit stunned, still, that's what he likes the most that he took out the g Men.
Speaker 1: It matters.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is a franchise and we all know this spent you know, decades playing in Giant Stadium. That's that's absurd, that's emasculating, Like that doesn't work, and like that would never they would that would never play today. And your dad is I'm glad he spoke about this because he's now on this magic carpet ride that I've told you is going to just take them to magical places and he's he's getting there.
Speaker 3: I love that, Mark, And why not? Why don't we keep it in the family to wrap up the show? Mark take it away?
Speaker 1: Yes, So, like, uh, you know, I have two children.
Speaker 5: One is Colton, who is younger than my older son Luke, who turned thirteen today, and like I'm kind of freaking out about the fact that I have a thirteen year old. I will note that I mentioned, I think even you know on the show earlier that my PTO was very brief. But the week after Luke was born, which is today, was the actual game that I've mentioned a thousand times where Brian Dabole, the OC of the Browns, coached Peyton Hillis and Colt McCoy to that incredible win over the Patriots. It happened literally, was like the next game after my son Luke was born. You see him right here, and like if you're watching the YouTube copy and I don't know, I just I'm I think as parents, we don't know what to say sometimes about how proud we are about our children, and like, uh, he's an incredibly resilient and creative and loving person. Like he's like he's been through a lot in his life, you know, and he's just like this person that always every day. I think sometimes you can see other people in your family if you have a child, and I see my grandmother from my dad's side, who every morning she woke up and would sing and would it was a new day, no matter what happened the day before, And that is how I think of Luke, And like, uh, I don't have that power, so I don't know where it came from.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like I watch my son Calton play soccer and he goes and scores three goals. Like the only goal I ever scored in soccer was on my own team. Oh it went off the back of my foot and into our you know, my own goal. So it's like you learn to like see things differently, and it's like I'm I'm wondering where these people come from sometimes as a parent, but I see little things in Luke that make me so proud of him every day. So he's thirteen, not an easy age to be, but I have full trust that he'll just use his internal skills and who he is to become what it becomes next.
Speaker 1: So Happy Birthday. And I think this is a.
Speaker 5: Special show because it wouldn't if we're on ESPN, Like, well, you can't talk about this, but like on our show you can. So like I'm thankful for that, and like I wish him well, I don't even know if I'll.
Speaker 6: Watch this, but if he does, well, you gotta tell him. You got to tell him. Tune into the end of the show.
Speaker 4: Happy Birthday, Luke, You're the best and my birthday president is you know, I'll give a plug. You gotta follow Luke. He's the best plane spotterer around. What's his Instagram?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, Lax plane spotting.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he is like a become a great photographer and videoographer.
Speaker 1: Of like a a niche, you know niche.
Speaker 5: Like we live near RelA, like Lax, like Dan the closest, but we drive over there too, and it's like these plans are landing and he's got this content. He's super into it and like he just I I remember someone not unlike him that was like super obsessive at age thirteen about things. Maybe that is where the link is and I I know we'll do something with it. And I love it.
Speaker 1: I love to see it.
Speaker 3: That's pretty crazy that you you just turned fifty, Mark and now you got a thirteen year old son. And that is he is a great boy. And I remember him as an infant when we first met. Yes, and now here he is in yes, the very interesting uh sometimes dicey, but also at times exhilarating early teens for a young boy. Uh So, best of luck to Luke. He's a great kid. Good stuff, good family stuff.
Speaker 1: To end the show.
Speaker 3: Anything else. Greg, Let's get your dad on there. Let's get your dad onto talk some pats.
Speaker 4: I think he's tuned out on the paths. My mom My mom is not. She's probably invested, but I think he's more. You know, it'll jump to the Celtics.
Speaker 3: Okay, great stuff, So thank you to everybody for listening. Now, we got the trade deadline coming up, so we will be ready to record whenever news breaks. Until then, you know what you need to do, heed the call.
Speaker 6: Happy,