Speaker 1: Wax On wax Off. It's one more thing I'm strong. And that is an ancient reference to the Karate Kid movies of the eighties.
Speaker 2: I think the eighties. I think the first one is in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to say eighties.
Speaker 2: Young Ralph Maccio and a young whatever. The old Asian guy was Pat Marita.
Speaker 1: He was Fat Marina from Happy after Arnold retired. It was what was his character's name, doesn't matter? Uh, yeah, it's just a fabulous, fabulous character actor, beloved American Institution, Pat Merita. Anyway. Uh, the whole concept of wax On wax Off, his character was the sense for the young Ralph Maccio who wanted to beat down the blond haired kid. It was cruel, bully senta. But the the idea of the wax On wax Off was the sort of discipline you need to develop to become a karate master. And they did a lot of prune and the bonds, eye trees and that sort of thing, right right, Yeah, it's funny that popped into my head. We got this note from a semi frequent correspondent, Alvin, who's been writing his emails for years and years and years we're talking about doing chores and drudgery and that sort of thing. Now you're at the following I think I've got a way of dealing with chores as drudgering, making them acceptable like it appears monks and monasteries do, and something you both should relate to, since your musicians. When a person wants to learn an instrument or to sing, practicing is what you have to do to get proficient. Although I have run into people like who as teenagers. The first time they open their mouths, their voices were the sort of voices that people wanted to hear, and other people may don't have that anyway, m M. Practice what you do so you keep doing it even though you don't sound good and it's just hard, but you keep doing it, doing it, doing it until you improve. And then he mentions that back in the day he saw Otis Redding and James Brown and others close up. I've got a friend he's a little older than me. He grew up in Augusta, Georgia, who talks about seeing James Brown working nightclubs for years because he and his friends were they couldn't stand country music. They're all about R and B back in the day, and he says the shows were just magnificent in a club. I can't even imagine anyway. Alvin says, I've also had opera singers live nearby and heard them do voice exercises every morning. I think the idea is to translate that into washing dishes and cleaning toilets and shoveling coalmanore into a trailer and then spreading it in the field. He says, speaking for myself, I was a farm boy that makes everything work. Is just another thing like these proverbial monks do. It's talking about how the monks all look at chore as an effort to move toward perfection. That you look at washing the dishes not as getting the dishes clean, but is taking steps to becoming the perfect dishwasher. Wash them with as much efficiency and care as you possibly can, till it's practically an art form. I could believe that if, like I'm painting a house, washing a dish, you got the goof from the mac and cheese on there, You scrub it for a second, and now it's off there.
Speaker 2: Man, this is on here hard. I got to remind of my kids, they got to rinseless stuff off before they put in this thing.
Speaker 1: You gotta soak damn bitches. Yes, yes, are you buying that picture? It vacuuming. I've gotten close to that. And oh, oh, I know one you can relate to mowing lawns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know if I'm the right person. I don't have trouble with those kind of things you just described. I've never had trouble with them. Paperwork is the one, and I don't know if you can do that with paperwork.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, although I tell you, one thing we have going that previous generations really didn't is we can entertain ourselves while we're doing the drudgery. Right, you got to You got a big screen TV over there, You got earbuds in or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the reasons that doesn't bother me to do laundry or stuff like that. I'm just listening to a podcast while I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, considered exercise and getting information.
Speaker 1: A couple of times through the years I've featured I've praised Martin Luther King's famous street sweepers speech, which is just it's inspirational and I wish more people heard it. But it isn't convenient to the modern narrative. It's part of King's legacy, and each side leaves behind parts of Martin Luther King's legacy to serve their own purpose. I get that. But he was talking talk about how if you're going to be a street sweeper, be the best street sweeper that's ever lived, take pride in that perfect it, and you know everything you do, do it as well as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: I used to do that. I when I was driving feed truck and feed lots. I liked being like really good at it and faster to everybody else at it, and that sort of thing, and a lot of people just had no interest in doing anything other than getting through the day.
Speaker 1: How was that way when I bust tables?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, in vacuuming, you know, if you're on the sort of rug where you can see where you've done, because it leaves the you know, like grain changes. I've sought to, like leave the perfect pattern behind. Is that like a weird OCD thing or just amusing myself or is that what the monks are talking about?
Speaker 2: I guess what the monks are talking about. Definitely do it with mull and lawns. I always did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I'd actually be annoyed if you got to the end and you got like half a strip and it's stood out from the full strips that you'd carefully I'd be like, damn, it is that weird or pride or one I don't know.
Speaker 2: I remember when mulling your lawn diagonally became a thing and people just wanted to look different, and that was harder.
Speaker 1: Now. I used to when when Baxter, when we lived in an old house and he'd poop in the backyard, he'd go out and poop as opposed to us taking him in a walk. Because our newer house has no fence. I would certainly be as efficient as I could be in picking up the poop. But I don't think that was like imitating the monks monks. I think it was a person who didn't want to pick up a dog's extrement for a minute longer than was necessary, right, nor to step in it having missed some.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spend any more time in the hot sun picking up crap for free.
Speaker 1: Right, So I was meticulous about making sure I missed none. But again, that wasn't ride that was practicality. So then picking up the crap was my crappiest chore. But I'd rather do that all day long than do paperwork.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt, not even close. Am I gonna have to log into a site that the password doesn't work. No, I'll just stand out here and pick up the dog boot. Sorry, there's already a count with that name. Oh, I gotta get a gun. I'm gonna put it in my mouth. There we go. Release.
Speaker 1: You couldn't work any cubicle, could you? Jack? No, you just you're just not made for it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I would do some sort of manual labor, which I'd be perfectly fine with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking, I'm trying to picture it. I did well. No, I had a desk, I had an office, a little office, but ugh, so bad strokes for different folks. Clean those dishes, get them shiny.
Speaker 2: That dog boot show some pride, right, Well, I guess that's it.