Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. Hi, everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make and where they lead us. I am backstage at the very first ever I Choose Me Live summit. You guys. The atmosphere backstage has been so exciting. We're listening and we're learning from each other. It's truly an incredible day. If you weren't able to attend the event, you can purchase a ticket to the live stream of the event so nobody misses it. All the info will be in our show notes. You don't want to miss this day full of conversations about advocating for our own health, menopause, and finding your inner badass. Before we jump into the conversation, you guys, I just found the best spot for coffee, breakfast, and lunch all the things. Parakeet Cafe. They showed up at the I Choose Me Live event and let me tell you, they completely stole the show. Their coffee next level handcrafted the purest organic ingredients. Their pastries are flaky and fresh. It was just like chef's kiss, if you know what I mean. I love the vegan and the gluten free options they had and no sugar added. Oh, there was this one vegan, gluten free, no sugar added scone so yummy. And the lunch spread so good. Oh, I loved it. It was so nourishing, organic, no seed oils, just real feel good food that made everyone glow. It was like they just got the vibe elevated, effortless and full of love. I was so honored to have them be a part of the day. And you know what the best part is, you don't have to wait for an event to try it. Just visit their spots. They have places in Beverly Hills, Brentwood and beyond. Trust me, you're gonna be obsessed. Now let's get in to our conversations.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, Jenny, I'm so thrilled to be at your event.
Speaker 1: Ah, this is such an amazing day. I am so excited to have you be a part of it. Just describe the energy for me back here, the energy of the day. How do you feel being on the Badass panel?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so honored to have been asked to be a part of the I Choose Me Summit. The backstage is electric, so many wonderful women talking about things that matter, and I can't wait to get my chance to be in the Badass Women panel.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a lot of fun. What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 2: Oh, Being a woman means being a multitasker, sadly sometimes putting other people first, and we have to get to the point that we choose ourselves. And that's what I love about the I Choose Me summit and really, you know again being a Beverly Hills two one to oh fan. I remember when I was a kid and the words I Choose Me on the show resonated with me, and I don't think that it might have been the first time I ever heard a woman.
Speaker 3: Say you're great.
Speaker 1: However, I choose.
Speaker 2: Myself and that's something that stayed with me through the years and now that I hope that ends up resonating with a lot of other women too.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 2: Choosing yourself means that you prioritize your own well being. I think women are very good at making sure everyone else is okay. But I've come to the realization that no one else can be okay if you're not okay. So as we're busy, you know, making doctor's appointments for people and making sure people are happy and fed and all those things. You have to feed yourself too, and that's you know, mind, body, and spirits. So I choose me is taking care of you first, and it's not a selfish thing to do.
Speaker 1: What's the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman? Ooh?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Best advice I ever got was from my mom. As she rest in peace, she said, kindness matters. And I think there's so many people in this life they call it chasing the bag and hustle culture, and everything seems to be focused on money and material things, and I think we lose sight of the most important thing is a relationship you have with other people, and that begins by seeing them and caring for them and being kind. I believe in my life or receive more opportunities because I'm a good person than because I'm partic, talented or anything else. So kindness really is step one for me.
Speaker 1: The moms know they give such a good advice and kindness. Yeah, that is just the way to walk through life, I think. Okay, So who are some of the women who inspire you the most? Like what is it that you admire about them?
Speaker 2: You know, I love women that can speak their mind even though it might get them in trouble. And I also believe this is not a woman, but representative John Lewis said that it's important to get in good trouble, necessary trouble. And so I believe the best women, the smartest women, the most principled women, will see something and say something, and they will fight for themselves and fight for others. So I respect women that do that, that take the higher ground, are determined to be on the right side of history. Even if it hurts them, they go forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something about that notion of putting other people's needs before your own. That's just like a good rule to live by. Okay, do this for me. Fill in the blank. When women come together?
Speaker 2: Blank, When women come together, everything changes for the good.
Speaker 1: Yes, short and sweet and so true. If it is there something you hope the audience takes away today, like from you, from specifically your panel.
Speaker 2: You know, I hope that everyone that comes to the summit today leaves with the understanding that it's not selfish to prioritize.
Speaker 3: Yourself and to say it to yourself.
Speaker 2: I choose me, say it in the in the mirror if you need to, until you believe that that you're worthy of that. I know that you're worthy of that. I know that I'm worthy of that. So I hope they all leave with that understanding.
Speaker 1: Mirror work is so important, looking yourself in the eyes, telling yourself you love you. I love you, saying that into your own eyes, and yeah, telling yourself is okay to choose myself right now. Totally agree that Nicole Brown. Let me ask you something, when was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 2: My last I choose me moment was this morning when I was figuring out what I was going to wear. I was mindful of this this summit and everybody's coming and everyone's going to be in their pretty dresses and all of that, and I had my pretty dress ready to go. But today I just felt like I want to be in sneakers and something colorful and festive, and so I chose me by picking an outfit that made me feel good and you know, hope people love it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you look amazing. I love it, and I love it that you're comfortable. So important. Okay, that's it. That's all we have time for I'm so excited to have you here. I love you. You're beautiful, I love your outfits. Let's do this, doctor Kittelson, I am so thrilled that you made the time to be with us here today at the summit. As a woman, why is it so important for us to speak up for ourselves in the doctor's office. You should know this better than anyone.
Speaker 5: So historically women have often been not heard when they go to their physician. So it is so important to bring a list ahead of time with the questions and concerns that you have, so that you can ensure that your itemized agenda is accomplished by the time the doctor's visit is over.
Speaker 1: That works for me. I am a list maker. I live my life by lists. So that's a great recommendation to take a list with you to the doctor's office, because sometimes you forget things. You know, you get a little overwhelmed or excited or nervous, and you forget things. So take that list, ladies, What would you say the one health tip you want all women to take seriously this year?
Speaker 5: Exercise, And I'll tell you why. Number One, everybody knows that exercise is good. It lowers blood pressure, cholesterol, helps your mood. There's a million health benefits. But the other important reason is that exercise is an early detection system. Your heart is a muscle. It'll get into trouble while you're using it. So if you exercise regularly, you're attuned to change it in your exercise tolerance. That could signal a heart problem. If you sit on the couch all day, you're never checking in with your heart. You don't know how it's doing. So please exercise. Aerobic thirty minutes a day is the goal.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, get up, go for a walk, move your body. That way, you form a better connection with your body and you can better listen to it. Totally agree. Can you describe the energy that you're feeling backstage?
Speaker 5: I am feeling hopeful, invigorated, curious, and excited.
Speaker 1: Yes to all of those things. I feel it too. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 5: It means to have a very clear sense of your goals, your values, your priorities, and to make a plan to get them happening.
Speaker 1: I like that again, kind of beckoning back to making that list, making sure that you are taken care of. What are your priorities? What are your questions, all the things, and that's the only way we can really know ourselves and ultimately choose ourselves. What do you hope to walk away from this day with.
Speaker 5: I hope to walk away with inspiration to have concrete ideas to make my life and the world a better place.
Speaker 1: That's a good answer. I like that. And what do you hope the audience takes away.
Speaker 5: I hope the audience finds an incredible community of women to share their experiences that will also inspire them so we can all move forward to make the world better.
Speaker 1: That is so good. It's the community when we come together and share our stories and our fears. I think that's when we all move forward in the best way possible. Doctor Kittlson, what's the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 3: That's a really good question.
Speaker 5: I really like that question. The best advice I ever got from another woman came from my mom, a super strong, accomplished woman, who said to me, you might never be the smartest, but you can always work the hardest.
Speaker 1: To the moms, that's a two two mom answer right there. We love the moms. That's so true, because there's always going to be somebody that's something more than you. You know, smarter, prettier, thinner, whatever, all the things. But we can definitely control how much we contribute and how hard we work at being better every day. Who are some of the women you most admire and what about them inspires you?
Speaker 5: So, being a woman cardiologist, I'm often one of the few women in the room, though that has changed very well over the past few decades. But when I think back to inspiring women, it's those physicians I knew in medical school, residency, fellowship training who directly supported me and led by example on what it means to be an outstanding physician.
Speaker 1: Well, I for one, am so happy that you and other women are out there in these important rooms talking about our health, our future. We would be nowhere without you, so I'm so grateful for you being in that room. Let me ask you, is there anyone you're excited to hear speak today or any conversations that you're excited to have.
Speaker 5: I am so excited about the menopause panel. Women are vibrant at every age, but I feel like women get forgotten when they hit that stage of life that I am currently in. So I am so delighted that there is value placed on how we can still be important members of society, maximizing our quality of life and our ability to change the world.
Speaker 1: I cannot tell you how much I love you, doctor Kittleson. I just love you. Okay, I'm going to ask you the question, Doctor Kittleson, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 5: I try to fit in I choose me moments whenever I can so. A few weeks ago, I was traveling for work and I got to the airport a little bit early, so I got to go go to the airport lounge and have one, only one free cocktail, and that was my I choose me moment.
Speaker 1: Ah the airport lounge. Yeah, that's a win. If you can get in there, you definitely feel like you can get in anywhere. Doctor Kilsen, Thank you so much. I love you. I'll say it again. Thank you for being here. Sasha, Oh beautiful, I love you. This is so great having you here at the summit today. I know a lot of people who are excited to hear what you have to say.
Speaker 3: Jenny. I am so thrilled to be at your event. Thank you so much. I love you, I love I Choose me, and I am just so honored to be here.
Speaker 1: Okay, you just got off stage from speaking on our health panel. How are you feeling.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that I was on this panel today. I think what's so magical about days like this is that you have women coming together that are just here to advocate for themselves and the women around them. We all come from different, you know, paths in life, a different type of careers and jobs, and some without kids, some with kids, and we're just on a different journey. But the one thing in common is that we all need to speak up for ourselves and telling our story, advocating for what made sense in our life only helps propel people forward in theirs. And it's nice to just, you know, see women come together and listen to each other, and that's how we move forward, That's how progress is spread. So I'm just honored to have been a part of it.
Speaker 1: What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 3: Being a woman, I think, you know, just like women, it's a layered response. I feel very empowered as a woman for many reasons. I think, you know, I'm in my late twenties now, I honestly I feel like I'm much older than that. I always have felt older than I am, but I'm at a point in my life where I am never loved myself more, and I think, you know, it's because I'm choosing me these days. It's a great way to tag this, but honestly, I truly believe it. Getting to the point in life where I'm making decisions that benefit myself so that they benefit others is wonderful. I feel my best. I'm able to confidently, you know, express myself. I'm able to be present as a mom and be present as a wife and really understand what I need and what others need around me. And it's a great place to be. But I think what comes with that is also having to feel like we're constantly defending that. So to me, a woman is basically we support everything. We support others in our lives, we support ourselves, we support a mission. I feel like women are constantly juggling so many different things, and I think that's both a beautiful thing and a really heavy thing pun intended. But I'm excited to see where we grow, and that's that's what I'm looking forward to. That was a really roundabout way of I'm saying. I'm saying that I love being a woman. There we go.
Speaker 1: I love being a woman too. You know it's true. I've always thought of you as being older than you are. You are so mature and you have such a level headed sort of voice. I feel like you have a lot of wisdom packed into your young years. So I'm excited for you to share and for women to hear it. What is the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 3: The best advice I've ever gotten from another woman is basically to leave everybody else's opinion at the door. And that could mean a lot of things for a lot of different people. I think for me, what that meant is not outside at the door. And the reason for that is because it's not that other people's opinions don't matter. I think we get this a little mixed up sometimes because your opinion matters the most, your body, listening to your body, what matters, What matters to your mental health? Who cares what other people's opinions are about you. That does not mean that other people's information isn't valid or something to consider in your life. It's not good to put yourself in an echo chamber either. But I do think it's important to understand that you need to be in tune with your own voice and that you live with yourself. You know, you go to bed at night with yourself. At the end of the day, it's you, and you have to be confident in yourself, confident in your choices. You have to love yourself and know that you are valuable enough at every step of the road, even when you make mistakes, even when you don't feel your best. You know, you need to choose yourself because that's all you got.
Speaker 1: Advice can come from so much, many different places, and yeah, I think it's really important that we pick and choose what resonates for us individually, because everybody's advice, you know, may not be for you, but you've got to listen to what speaks to you. Is there a woman you most admire and what is it that inspires you about her?
Speaker 3: I am really lucky to have so many inspirational women in my life. I don't really know how I could choose one. I think, you know, my mom is an easy answer, and I'm always inspired by her. I think that she has so much love in her heart that it just it just never expires, there's no end to it. I really admire her for the way that you know her emotions have have seemed like that. There's like an endless there, an endless pit. And I mean that in the best way possible. And I would say also my best friend, she is just an incredible woman. I've known her for over eighteen years. We've done a lot of life together. But she is so strong. She's also a great example of someone who has her emotions on her sleeve. But it's not a weakness, it's such a strength. She is an inspector general for the Navy. She got that job when before she was even thirty. She is Filipino, and she's adorable. She says she's five two, but she's a little shorter than that. So she is such a bundle of strength and joy and beauty and emotion. And I just love that somebody like her is succeeding in such a beautiful way and showing women how possible and how cool it is to succeed in a field that you want, that you're passionate about. There should be no rules or limitations to something like that, and she definitely proves it. She's a walking example of that.
Speaker 1: So true friends are vital too our well being. I think finding somebody that you listen to and share with your deepest and darkest thoughts and feelings, and yeah, yeah, mighty things come in small packages. Okay, Sasha Peterson, When was your last I Choose me moment? Ooh I love that question. Hmm my last I Choose me moments?
Speaker 3: Huh. I feel like I'm doing a good job of working on this every day, so I'm like, was it yesterday? Was it the day before? I don't know. I think a more significant one that I would say in my life recently has been saying no more so my last my last moment is going to sound really uneventful, but it really was. It was basically to go to another dinner after a really long day, and I decided, you know what, Normally, I would say yes, and I would overextend myself and I, you know, would sacrifice in many ways my my own health in order to socialize because I do love to do that. I I love being around people. I love entertaining and celebrating. But that night, I was like, you know what, No, I need to prioritize my sleep. I need to make sure that I'm functioning well for the next day. And I recognize that that would put that at risk and that is not worth it. So I was choosing me in that moment, which is something that I am proud of, because all of those little choices add up in the matter.
Speaker 1: Saying no is a big I choose me a moment. I've heard that before from other women, and it's hard for us to do that and to prioritize our own well being sometimes over what is asked of us or expected of us, you know, And it takes self awareness to realize when you need to say no and when you can say yes. So that is a major example of choosing yourself. I love it, Sasha. Thank you so much for being here. You are the best. Everybody just loves you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: So happy you're here with us.
Speaker 6: Tamson, Hi, Jenny, I'm so thrilled to be at your event.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, this has been the best day ever. You just came right off the stage from our menopause panel. How was it for.
Speaker 6: You that conversation? Was wonderful to see how you held that conversation with all of us, held that room, made people feel seen, made people choose themselves.
Speaker 3: It was really special.
Speaker 1: What do you hope people took away from that conversation and the event today, I.
Speaker 6: Hope people took away the fact that this is a normal transition, that they're not alone, that there are solutions out there, and that there are other women in their community that can listen with them.
Speaker 1: Yes, what does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 6: Being a woman means to me having freedom, feeling empowered, knowing that I can make my own decisions, and that I've got other women around me that will urge me to do.
Speaker 1: That freedom support. Those are good, Yes, very good answer. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 6: It means that I wake up every day making decisions that make me feel whole and happy.
Speaker 1: Perfect. What's the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 6: The best of us I've ever gotten from another woman is to keep going one foot in front of the other, no matter what happens, no matter how difficult it gets, no matter how hard it gets, no matter if you don't know what path it is, one foot in front of the other.
Speaker 1: Yes, to quote Dory, just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Damnson. Who are some of the women you most admire and how have they inspired you in your life? Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, I didn't realize it until I went through all this. I lost my mom at an early age, and she inspired me in so many ways, but inspired me today even though she's not here to understand what she went through without having anyone to talk to. I think that's been a lot of what makes me who I am today. I think women that came before me in the career that I was in as a journalist for a long time really really inspired me, and right now this community does. Quite frankly, this community has no shame. They feel good, they feel proud, and they just want to give back to the next generation. So I think that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: It is so amazing, right Yeah. And the fact that our moms didn't have this kind of support, this kind of community surrounding them, is so sad. But somehow they got us to where we are, and we are here to change that and amplify messaging and give all that we know to other women. And it's just I always say this, it's about that connection. Okay, ready fill in the blank. When women come together, blink.
Speaker 6: When women come together, we have real power.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Was there anyone here at the event that you were excited to see or hear speak.
Speaker 6: You know, Naomi Watts is incredible to me. I've met her through this community and she is just so open and giving and giving of her time and giving of her stories, and I think gives women strength to see themselves.
Speaker 1: And I think that's really special. Yes, I know, it's so special to have her here with us too. You are two of the women that are changing the conversation and the community around menopause, and it's invigorating. There's just something just so amazing about what is happening for us women over fifty. Tamson, what was your last I Choose me moment?
Speaker 6: My last I Choose me moment was this morning. I got up really early, I went for a walk, I had some quiet time to myself, and I came back feeling really refreshed and whole.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that those quiet moments can be so rewarding. Thank you, Damson. I adore you. I'm so so glad that you're here. This is yeah best day ever. Hi, Kiaren, Okay, we are so glad to have you here representing the American Heart Association today at this beautiful event.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Hi, Jenny, I'm super honored to be able to be on stage with you and talk about CPR and how important it is, especially for the women in our world.
Speaker 1: Describe what the energy of today has felt like to you.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, it's so exciting to be backstage here at I Choose Me because there are so many strong and beautiful women back there that are representing some amazing things for us to do in our lives. There's health coaches, there's a cardiologist, there's actresses and models, and they are all so so interested in making sure that women take care of themselves and do what's right for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many powerful women here. It's amazing. Are there any conversations that you're excited to hear today?
Speaker 4: Well, I've been very interested to hear all kinds of things about what's going on with different folks activities in their podcast. It's been really refreshing and rewarding for me that they've been so interested in talking about CPR and have had so many questions about how to stay in and save a life, what do you need to do and how to be ready.
Speaker 1: I mean, knowing how to do CPR is a game changer. It's a necessity. I feel like the other day I was walking through the airport and I saw an aed am I saying that, right, aed the machine that you use when people's heart stop. And I thought, you know what, I know how to use that. And I felt so strong in that moment and so powerful and so like I'm going to be able to save somebody's life someday. And that's the best feeling. Karen, What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 4: For me? Personally, being a woman is like one of the most powerful things that there is because we've got the ability to do anything a man can do. But also we've got the ability to give life and to care about people and be more nurturing. I think in a lot of ways, and I think it's really important that we see ourselves as these forces.
Speaker 3: In the universe.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are forces. I love that. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 4: For me, to choose myself, it means that I've put myself in a place where I'm healthy, put myself where I'm safe and happy. I have room to grow, i have room to make mistakes, and I have room to relax.
Speaker 1: I like that You're allowing yourself to create space that you can relax in. That's so important, Karen. What was your last I Choose Me moment.
Speaker 4: So I think, well, one of my last I Choose Me moments would be I'm actually about to graduate from graduate school and choosing to do that for myself, choosing to go ahead and proceed and get a master's degree here a little bit later in life than some of my cohorts there in that program and really learn and see how much I have to offer to my field.
Speaker 1: That's so brave, that is truly inspirational. I've always wanted to go back to school. I don't know why, but I'm really proud of you for diving into that. What is the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, the best advice I've ever gotten from another woman is to be confident in who I am and the space that I take up and the ideas that I have, the mistakes that I can make, and the progress that I can make.
Speaker 1: Confidence is key, so true, all right, I want you to fill in the blank. When women come together.
Speaker 4: Anything can happen. When women come together, anything can happen. I think women are the most powerful force on the planet.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, This theater full of women is a powerhouse. You can feel it, you can see it. It's inspirational and it spreads, you know, it makes it feel like we are not alone. Who are some of the women you most admire and what about them inspires you?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd have to.
Speaker 4: Go ahead and say my mom, because she was a force for our family. She's a force for our family business and you know, really taught me to go out and do something beyond myself. And my aunt Kate, who my daughter Katie is named for, as definitely somebody I honor and I'm excited about. And I've just been really blessed to have some really amazing figures in my work space. That American Heart Association is led by a bunch of powerful women, with Nancy Brown and Susie Upton and even my immediate boss, Tracy Berto. It's really fun to have strong women who really support each other in that workspace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the women at AHA American Heart Association are bad ass. I look up to all of them and the work that they're doing and that they have committed their lives to spreading awareness for heart diseases. We both know the number one killer of American women, and I always love being in a room full of women who are more accomplished than me, who are more educated than me, who are making changes in this world. It is yeah, definitely inspiring. Is there anyone you're specifically excited to hear speak today?
Speaker 4: Well, I was really excited to meet Sasha backstage and to see all the things that she had to say, So I think that's probably the one.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Karen, I'm so happy you came. I'm so excited that we have shown women that we can save a life just by knowing CPR. It's not as hard as anybody thinks it is anymore, and everybody should know how to perform CPR. So thank you so much for being here and demonstrating that to all of us today. We all learned something really valuable from you. Thank you