Speaker 1: What's up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your hosts Now fuck That with your loaw glasses Malone.
Speaker 2: So you got two Latto winners in close proximity to each other trying to simultaneously hunt the other one down.
Speaker 1: How do you think they won the same numbers? Again?
Speaker 2: I think they both have. They're from the same area, same interests, same traditions, same shit. I think they walked in and said, I want my lucky numbers here at the six lucky numbers, and they both got the same six numbers. I think it's more likely that than they just randomly spun the same ones.
Speaker 1: My thought is somebody told somebody to get their lottery numbers here to play my numbers, and they went to numbers, and they felt they didn't go play the numbers, so they went to play themselves. So I think it's probably the winner of the Both winners are out the same exact household, the same person.
Speaker 2: Very likely. That makes it even more chaos. That's almost like a domestic grudge death match.
Speaker 1: I was reading this crazy story today and there was a lady who got a tip. She was in the South and somebody tipped her ten million dollars. No, they tipped her a lottery ticket.
Speaker 2: Didn't make a movie out of that with Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. But she won the lottery. She they tipped her a lottery ticket and the ticket hit for ten million. Yeah, and she took the ten million. And then first her coworkers, her co people, was like, well, we split the tips, and we split the tips, and so they tried to see her and it did work. Yeah. And then the person who actually gave her the ticket. Yeah, I guess they was joking. She like, well, if I hit, I'll buy you a truck or either. He said to her when he tipped her the ticket. If you hit, you gotta buy me a truck, and she was like okay. So he tried to sue her.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He tried to sue her and it didn't work. And then the husband kidnapped her, who had just got a fresh divorce, kidnapped her to try to get it, and she ended up getting a gun and shooting a husband.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's an that's one too. That's that's a more interesting movie because something like that happened in the movie, but it was in like New York at a diner and some lady won off of a tipped ticket or some nonsense, and it was just kind of like, mom, come but that that that ain't.
Speaker 1: No rom com No. This is thea read between reading that and living today. I was just thinking to myself, like, I don't know how I do this life sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, find it a little unsettling.
Speaker 1: And I used to think to myself, I don't know how everybody else is drinking and smoking weed and shit. I used to think everybody else is crazy. But as I get older, I'm starting to believe I'm the crazy motherfucker for doing this life sober.
Speaker 2: Or what's in the red cuptain water? Oh yeah, yeah, no, I think that. I don't think that you're sober for being the or you're crazy for being the sober one. I think crazy lends itself to you being the sober one, elaborate, elaborate, like I think you have to be crazy to want to soak it all in and make sure you don't miss anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. It's like you feel everything, you see everything, to always be aware and conscious is crazy, like everything and I think things that other people use to get by, because I think the things that other people use to get by, you know what I mean, with weed or alcohol or whatever. Like I get it now, I really fucking get it. Because I was talking a head about it earlier and I was like, he was what it got to be arrogant. I'm like, why would you think it's arrogance that we don't drink or smoke like that. He's like, well, because it's like we believe we could deal with it. And I'm like, well, I don't think I ever thought about it like that. I just thought about it in a sense that, you know, he referenced seeing people throwing up on a curve. I was like, well, I've seen people be buzzed, and I wouldn't go to the exaggeration. I'm worried about throwing up as much as as much as ah, like just poisoning myself, throwing off my equilibrium at all for any reason.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: So that that became the main thing, Like I just never thought about it, like and then every time.
Speaker 2: It costs no benefit proposition, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't get the benefit. Like to me, these are normal. It's like most people talk about normal functions, achieving normal functions through assistance. Right, They'll be like, or I want to relax, I'm like relax or you know, like if you meet a girl. It's weird. You'll meet a girl and she's not trying to use some pussy, but she's at the board drinking, Like you know what I mean, Like, why are you lower your inhibitions if your goal is not to have lowered inhibitions? Yeah, yeah, yeah, so it just it gets crazier and crazier every time.
Speaker 2: That's true. I don't know personally, I mean, yeah, I guess like through time, people who drink like the cope and shit like that. Seems like I know a lot of more people who smoke weed the cope.
Speaker 1: You know, like.
Speaker 2: Because I've always equated it, like I don't drink that much anymore, like in frequency or volume. But there's people I know that like through their day, they you know, got to hit the when I get up before work, on a break at work, lunch, after work, before they go to bed, it's like five times. Like if I had a cocktail five times a day, every single fucking day, I'd walk into an intervention at some point, Like I don't I don't know. That's kind of like my my weed curses, Like like that's a lot, you know, like you can't make it three four hours. You just go to work and sit in a cubicle.
Speaker 1: How did you start drinking?
Speaker 2: My best friend growing up was the youngest of like four so and by by a margin, he was what some might call a change of life baby, others might call an accident. So his older brothers that he looked up to a lot, like when he was younger, they were like, like we were in grade school, they were like in college doing the fraternity thing or whatever else. The time we were in high school, they were in there, like I don't know, fucking mid late twenties whatever, They're out and going to bars when I was kind of junk whatever. So I started drinking with him one time on a vacation. I went on a vacation with his family once, and I didn't think a lot of it. At some point in time in high school, around eleventh grade. I was from about the eleventh grade through at the time I was like twenty to twenty, I drank a lot, Like seventeen to twenty, I drank a lot twenty one to twenty three, I drank less, but there were still some frequent, like gargantuan consumption moments, you know. After that, I really you know, if I get drunk drunk, it might be once a year maybe, And it just happened randomly.
Speaker 1: So so your partner turn you on, hold up, no seilings, g L my man Peter in the house. So your partner introduce you to drinking.
Speaker 2: That's correct. It wasn't like I hadn't heard of it.
Speaker 1: Sure, But I'm saying, but the first time I drank, do you remember what it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was a beer beer? Remember what kind of beer?
Speaker 1: But h so, what did you start drinking after that?
Speaker 2: Whatever we had after that? I didn't start really discerning any kind of alcohol until I had to become responsible for getting it myself. Then I it just it went from whatever got handed to me to well, now since I have to make the decision, you know.
Speaker 1: So, how the fuck did you start drinking a lot between seventeen and twenty and nobody noticed?
Speaker 2: I don't know if nobody noticed, but like, how do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like how was you going home drinking a lot? Like how was you going home your your mom and dad, sister? How you going home if you're drinking a lot. Younger people can handle liquor better.
Speaker 2: Oh, they bounced back faster. Hangover is not a big deal. When you're younger, handle it better. No, But I've I only got caught coming home drunk once, and it was so stupid because I think my parents didn't think I was going to drink and drive, and a lot of the time I didn't, but a lot of the time I did too, So it depended.
Speaker 1: On how I Quite a lot of the times you didn't. A lot of times you did, yeah, meaning it was a mixed bag.
Speaker 2: But the nights when I didn't, I would still drive and leave the house, but I would drive around the corner and get my friend's car. So the time that I got caught coming home driving drunk, I had driven one hundred feet. I just came around a corner like this, stopped for like the other side of the neighbor's house.
Speaker 1: So at that point, why the fuck was you even driving to move.
Speaker 2: The car back? So it looked like I didn't. I wasn't allowed to go out and drink like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, so there was that Imagine you seventeen to twenty, you for sure wouldn't be old go out and drink like that, folks.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, so this Also they had a house with two stories, so like my bedroom had like a balcony thing, so I could get out and come back in through there. That happened a lot.
Speaker 1: When the fuck you get out through the balcony, fucking spider man up? You ever climbed up drunk?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, you're a fail close But no, what the fuck was you climbing to climb up to the balcony? You got a ladder out there?
Speaker 2: No, it's funny. They had a little retaining wall kind of thing by like the pool filter shit, So I could hop up onto that and jump from that and catch that and pull myself up onto the next thing and then just go over the rail and walk in the door.
Speaker 1: White life is just white life is fucking hella, like how most met like general pop the people feel about, you know, growing up in the ghetto. That's how I feel about Like when you hear about white life, I mean not white life like ghetto, because I get how trailer trash white life can go, but regular and yeah, like saved by the bell of white life Kelly Zach and Slater. White life it's almost like that's not real to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of bilateral disconnect.
Speaker 1: It's like the first time I started hanging out in Lakewood and you start meaning like go to people house. I remember one of my child friends, he became a police officer. He was a little older than us. I think. I went to our teaching my freshman year in Lakewood, and they used to have a park across street called Palm's Park, and it was cool. I was super good at karams because obviously from the ghetto, they got carams. But I remember I used to have so many like white.
Speaker 2: Friends teacher high school.
Speaker 1: For one year, my.
Speaker 2: Friends older sister they moved. They were from South Central and that his mom moved them down to our school district. But his older sister went to ar Teaser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ABC school district. I got a's and shit and I had thirty six tarties. So they pulled my permit, send my eyes right back to Compton, like you're not going. This ain't happening, And my mom ended up getting me a pair of my high school because they still had She wouldn't let me go to Compton Lock Geordan, like I wanted to go to the schools that you know we grew up because it's all your friends go there, but they didn't have ap class the school.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on if you are your MoMA's your dad's, Like what school would have been your school?
Speaker 1: Well, at my mom, I was Conter High that was literally like four minutes away. At my dad house, it would have probably been the ten, which that would have been weird. Yeah, it would have been ten to ten or Locked or maybe lynd Will because a lot of the older Humies went to land Wood too that was closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't understand like how that school disrect is sports because obviously Compton unified its own thing. You're on the LA side, you know. So you got l USD address.
Speaker 1: Yep, right, because you so in wats right, you got Jordan right by the Jordan Downs. You got Locked, You got Centennial because Centennial's is in Los Angeles too. Yeah, okay, I know it seemed like it's in Comptant, but it gets freaky when you get over Well, I think no, Centennial is in Compton.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, I swear that it is.
Speaker 1: But it would have been one of those schools. But I wanted to go to those schools because that's where everybody you know went to school. Yeah, yeah, Centennia is at Compton, so soon as you cross over, that was a good though. Yeah, so it would have been one of those schools do Mingas. Maybe my mom wasn't going for that. They had no AP classes. She was like that ship out the Mingas. She none of those schools had the AP classes. There was no chance she was letting me go to school without being in an advanced placement. That just wasn't gonna happen. But yeah, I used to notice that, and so I got a chance to hang around that kind of environment for about a good months and just really chilling, just tripping off of it. And that's how I knew it was real because before that, you know, Compton and watching you think Comptonent watches the whole world like everywhere is like this. Some people don't have money, some people on drugs. You go to Lakewood, ain't nobody pushing no damn baskets?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean when you and watching content, people pushing baskets, assembling all kinds of things that they could sell to try to buy some rocks, Like that was normal I think about a lot of the stuff that was normal at that time.
Speaker 2: I have to ask, sure, because the the language choice was so particular. You said assembling all kinds of things. What kind of product would a person purchased for money that had been assembled by a crackhead? What would be something that they might assemble.
Speaker 1: When I'm saying assemble, I mean gathering, right, So some people would be taking like people would be pushing grows. They used to still the grocery baskets, sure, right from the grocery store and be pushing them around a simp, like gathering things to sell. The go it so it could be something like cans, bottles. Some people would get TVs. People would do that time. They was the only flockers. Crackheads was the only flockers. It was only people breaking in people houses. Sometimes you see people with TVs radios, and a lot of times that shit to be working, like they knew the difference between junk and things that people bought.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, so.
Speaker 1: I used to look at them people crazy. But I'm starting to really think that I must be crazy because I don't know how I deal with this world sober Like Chuck Game is posting all these pictures of uh, what's going on and over there in Israel? M hm. You know it's people posting babies being blown up and women dead. And I was just thinking to myself, like, how am I sober looking at all this shit?
Speaker 2: It's a matter of scope, I suppose. I mean, it's tragic as a hell, But I've never I don't know as far as like the world me personally, I never blinked.
Speaker 1: M I don't think I blink. I think I see it all. But it's also why, like I'll be on my Donnie Hathaway where I'll be like, yeah, living ain't what it cracked up to be, Like, like, I have huge faith in humanity, but that's probably a big problem too. I believe in humanity and that probably is like a flaw maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean humanity cuts both ways. Humanity makes creates enormous problems, and humanity solves enormous problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the biggest problem they ever solve? You feel, humanity?
Speaker 2: Humanity? Well, I mean the most obvious one. I mean, like they created a humanity created a clusterfuck of World War two. It also solved the same problem.
Speaker 1: You know, what's the what do you mean you solve which problem. I think humanity don't do shit but cause problems. I don't think humanity has done one good thing for the Earth.
Speaker 2: I would disagree with that, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. I think humanity just creates problems and then solve the problems that they create, and then the problems that they solve creates even more problems.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the fault setting is a problem. You know, if you were to go back and back and back and back in time, whether the human life expectancy probably twenty five thirty years, you will dye in all kinds of different.
Speaker 1: Ways maybe were supposed to.
Speaker 2: That's probably true. I think that there's it's like every innovation that's that's that's helped.
Speaker 1: Human being probably is worse for the Earth.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I think there's for the person. I think there is fine. The Earth's equilibrium is pretty fine.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: The abundant, like abundance breeds abundance, and abundance breeds time. So the same ecosystem of the human mind that was able to use spare time to invent a light bulb was able to use spare time to devise eugenics. You know, time to think it's all in the mind of the thinker.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Every day I'll be disappointed cuz, yeah, that disappointing types, but I don't think it ever wasn't a disappointing time. It's also true, you know what I mean, Like, how could a place like Watts in a place like Newport Beach exists at the same time. That gotta be like a fucking flaw in a place like bell Lair in a place like Compton can exist at the same time. Yeah, yeah, think about that Bell Layer and Compton, then motherfuckers is twenty miles from each other. I think. Let me look it up.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, how far is Central Park West or whatever the hell from Harlem? I mean, it'sn't like Park Avenue on one side of Central Park West or I'm sorry, on one side of Central Park and then like Harlem is like basically the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Compton to bell Lair is nineteen miles more.
Speaker 2: Than a guess about fourteen.
Speaker 1: But how the fuck can somebody have entirely too much and then these people have entirely not enough. That gotta be like the greatest, Like that's just crap. It's nineteen miles peak. It is how could you how could you have that much? And then somebody this close could not have nearly enough and you exist peacefully.
Speaker 2: That's the last part is kind of the uh the kicker. You know, well, you know, resources can buy an awful lot.
Speaker 1: Like think about that. There's a house in bel Lairer for sale right now. Let me look at this. I was looking at a house in bel Lairer for sale right it came up in my email and there's a house in bell Layer.
Speaker 2: Think I saw something about that.
Speaker 1: It was like some kind of crazy means, like a nine figure Yeah, it was like one hundred and thirty nine million dollars a twelve bedroom, seventeen bath, two acre house and bed layer. The address is twelve hundred bell Layer, Rolled, Los Angeles, Sky nine zero zero seven seven. The house cousin is one hundred and forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: You know what I really don't understand about that. There's a lot of surplus bathrooms in that home.
Speaker 1: It's almost like they don't want to share the bathroom. I never got that.
Speaker 2: Even I understand, Okay, we're gonna have twelve bedrooms and then twelve bathrooms.
Speaker 1: Have teams yeah, I get thirteen guess bathroom you want people in yo bath They've got.
Speaker 2: Five or six extra bathrooms. It's as if they're serving laxative in there. And you better have a bathroom close enough to in case, you know, you don't have to go down to the hall too far to the next bathroom.
Speaker 1: You never know what that was about.
Speaker 2: Oh what's going on there?
Speaker 1: But I'm looking and this is right here, and they be talking shit about these people who running in these stores taking shit.
Speaker 2: One hundred thousand is about what it's about the price of a house in Compton three to five. Yeah, so saw if we called it five, that's two hundred and eighty houses in Compton for that guy's house. That would be pretty cool. If I was going to roll up, roll up a buck forty on a property acquisition, I'd be down to buy two hundred and eighty house in Compton. They were all if they were all attacked.
Speaker 1: They but it's like the dawn payment because it's twenty eight MILLI you know, the down payment is twenty eight minutes for yeah, twenty eight million, twenty percent, and the monthly payment is one million dollars nine hundred and eighteen thousand a month. Yeah, I mean, I don't think you can even findance that for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know at this interest rates like this, Yeah, probably could.
Speaker 1: Would you even want to finance that at that point? Thirty six was at one hundred, was at twelve million a year, one twenty three six, God damn three gd you've been in the house four hundred million dollars. Yeah. Yeah, that type of shit make me want to drink the fact that that much house is fifteen miles away from the ghetto. It depends on which ghetto because it probably could be Like if you want the Hoovers, it's probably a lot.
Speaker 2: Is it from the Jays about eighty?
Speaker 1: But the Jays is almost like a science project?
Speaker 2: How far has it been from the Harlems? About nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's close. The Jazz is different because the Jays is like a like a someone I sold those. Yeah, I know that's it's gonna be over.
Speaker 2: I was trying to tell Malcolm. I was like, what you need to do, because he was all like I got a turn in the jungles. I was like, you can complaining about they suck for thirty years. It should be happy. But like I was like go get Potomac made a historical landmark site. I mean it was the culmination scene of what was that? The isn't that the first oscar to a black actor in a non supporting role? Yeah? Yeah, just go over to city Hall and get it declared historical monument. They'll do it in two seconds.
Speaker 1: And then what does that do?
Speaker 2: I can't knock it down the rest of it. They're probably knocked down, but you could at least hold down the cold set.
Speaker 1: You know what? Somebody asked me, did I think gentrification was bad? They was like, oh, guds, you don't think it's better. I'm thinking to myself, like I get it right, Like, because that's what's been That's what's happening right, These places are being gentrified. But it's like if you're not, how is it somebody could have enough fucking money to come over here and buy shit, but the people who live here don't have enough money to buy shit? You know what I'm saying, Like, how do you have that much money to where all these stray people could come and move into community and they got enough money to afford it, but the people right there can't afford it. And what people would like me to believe is that like a drunk mind would like me to believe that, Oh, they just didn't do anything with their life. And it's like, I mean the majority of the population bro as she Yeah, so it's easy to lead sheep any direction you want them to go.
Speaker 2: The American perspective on wealth disparity is perceived upside down. You know. It's like looking at a forest right from eye level to the.
Speaker 1: Top I leveled to the top of what of the of the trees in the forest feet up in the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you.
Speaker 1: If the trees are fifty fifty feet.
Speaker 2: If the tree is fifty feet the average three fifty feet, you're like forty sixty feet. You can see the tops of them, but you see that they're not the same tops. I think people will look at it like who came around and knocked the tops off of all those trees that aren't as tall as that one? And the perception really is more accurately, what caused that tree to grow taller than that one?
Speaker 1: You know, you think that's the perception from who?
Speaker 2: I think that's the current, Like that's the times perception of in America of wealth di spirity. Like like the culture now looks at it as though all the trees were sixty feet and then someone came and hacked the tops off of like ninety percent of them down to forty five feet. Reality is the other ones grew taller.
Speaker 1: I don't know they might even start it taller.
Speaker 2: Trees don't start taller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it depends, like even coming into America, it's a different set of trees. Like right, it's like slavery is not even two hundred years old, right, Like it's not that old. Right, it's this is not that old. And you like, because I don't think, I don't even want to have a conversation. I hate about Like I get the concept of the wealth disparity, wealth gap, That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about simple things like the American dreams that we sold, I mean American dream that we sold out right, which was like a place like Compton. Well, it's like the people crazy and they so a place like Compton or a place like let's say like Herssey, Pennsylvania where John his name is John Hershey, they made Hershey Company. I think it's name is John Hershey Hershey.
Speaker 2: So just out of curiosity, I had noticed at at the end of one of the famous Zapp and Roger songs, he was talking about chocolate cities, and he didn't mention Hershey, Pennsylvania. Why is that.
Speaker 1: I have no fucking idea. I don't think they're talking about the same chocolate.
Speaker 2: Interesting. So, Milton Hershey, you might be right.
Speaker 1: Milton Hershey.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So Milton Hershey created the town that we know. It's Hershey, Pennsylvania, right, And this was kind of the traditional American idea. He had a great idea that he built factory out and then he wanted people to come work, and he had people come work, and instead of having him drive miles away, he built the town to support you know, he built the town to master the economy right where people could move into these houses and shot playing work there. That's Compton. Was the same thing like if you look down Alameda on Compton and Compton right, all these factories right now. I was talking to a politician and she was telling me that it was grandfathered in that I think forty to fifty percent of the people who worked at these factories were supposed to live in these houses. And I think that was the simplistic idea of America and It was a brilliant idea, right you people used to walk to work, you know what I mean? And what I think happened specifically in canter right as black people started to move to Compton out. It's probably a really crazy idea that they started moving there. It's something that we don't know about because they moved there and grow. But you know, and then white folks start moving out, right, Kevin Costner families in the world start moving out.
Speaker 2: Well, they had to move out for the black people to move in because the vacancies had to be created.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I think they were also building at that time. But I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think so. Well, and this is the thing because, like I only said it because like we've talked about one hundred times. Sure, my grandparents lived in all those same houses. They ain't built nothing new.
Speaker 1: But then what is older than Compton, Yeah, but like not by a lot.
Speaker 2: And really what late sixties, early late fifties, early sixties was when black people started to come to South California.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they had been around so remember, they couldn't they couldn't remember, they couldn't really be around, right, because they did have little pockets right the place in Venice. What's that Dalton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those old big apartments, like one of the.
Speaker 1: Oldest places black people moved. So black people came to southern California before that, but I don't think they could get in the the aries like they was in Dogtown.
Speaker 2: They were in it was the fifties. That's when the fifties. When in the fifties, And that's why like the difference between well the.
Speaker 1: Projects was wasn't first for remember that was for the war people, No, Jordan Downzelea.
Speaker 2: Most of the expansions of the project was for black people, and black people were good at paper This is this littletory people. I don't think no about La Sure below the pueblos is that's black projects is below all the ones what do they call it? The I thought they called it also like dog Town or something like that. The projects by Chinatown and and then like Big Hazard and the strata courts and all those ones was are on Mexican Yeah, as I looked, I mean, I for what I read the they built all those ones up there and didn't allow black people to apply because apparently black people were very good at paperwork compared to Mexicans.
Speaker 1: So the Jordan Downs first open in May nineteen forty four. The complex was originally developed as a semi permanent housing for war workers during World War Two. In the early nineteen fifties, Hacla and Damn that still around converted it to public housing. It was among the last of the public housing projects and was to be opened for that purpose. It opened in nineteen fifty five, shortly after new Mayor Norris Paulsen ended all new public housing in the city. Development, like others in the area, became partially integrated. However, its tendency its Tennessee rapidly became majority black, approaching one hundred percent by the mid nineteen sixties. This rapid change occurred for a number of reasons. Many of the veterans who still lived in the projects in the early nineteen fifties moved out as they were able to purchase homes. Blacks still migrating west after the war ended gravitated excuse me, Blacks still migrating west after the war gravitated towards areas like Watts that already had sizable back populations. In addition, at least in the first decade of the post war period, restrictive covenants helped channel recent migrants into Watts and away from nearby suburban cities such as Compton.
Speaker 2: Sure yeah so.
Speaker 1: No, no, What I.
Speaker 2: Think a lot of the real initial challenges for black people in LA was the fact that they, bluntly speaking, they just got there later. Like the economic explosion that happened on the West coast, like from like nineteen forty three or four, whenever the Pacific theater machine really really ramped up, they weren't there yet. Sure, So by the time that wave crested and crashed, then they got there.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: So that's there's a big difference. And that's a huge difference in twenty.
Speaker 1: Years sure, Sure, especially around that time. But the Mexicans were here then before then, yea, because the first was Crazy. Is the first street gang in LA that's credited. Obviously that's not white people would be white fence Okay. Yeah, they've been around since like the.
Speaker 2: Thirties, and it was fun. I had to look it up too, because I was such a square. But when you get off of the one on one at Normandy, because to me, fourteen means north. Sure, I kept seeing C fourteen, C fourteen all over the place. Is this. I'm like, because you can go to the north and see thirteens, you don't come to the south.
Speaker 1: Fourteen that's not happening now once you pass fresh Noo, that ain't Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I was like, I know that is not what I am seeing. So I google what's CEE fourteen KYA fourteen and you know under like you know where the blue line turns sure above Washington. Apparently that fourteenth Street was one of the was all like one of the very all also original gangs like zoot Suit during gangs, and they the city was so vexed by the Fourteenth Street gang that they cleared them out and rezoned their neighborhood industrial so that they couldn't live there. So Kye fourteen became a nomadic gang, but they retained the name.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I know a couple of those most gangs is gonna be like that in twenty years, I mean, if they're still gangs. But I guess the point I was making is, I mean, even the whole concept of the wealth gap is it's just different.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: If you you have to really just believe that they're still a letble of you know what I mean, Like you niggas ain't finna get no money. It's just kind of how I to go. And even certain things because I agree, like as Americans started selling the country out as a whole right to you know, they didn't want to build everything no more they want to People got greedier. I mean, I don't know if that's the correct way to put it, but to me, that's what it's about. People got greedier right where they started building everything overseas or cheaper.
Speaker 2: They didn't get greater. They got lazier. And I don't mean the workers, I mean the leaders. Sure you got to a point where you had a generation of innovators that created an explosion of growth in the USA. Coustume those were not people who got MBAs at Ivy League schools. That's true, they were really they were replaced not by innovators but by managers. What do managers know how to do? Very little? They know how to do one thing, cut cost. I don't know how to come up with a new idea. I don't know how to streamline this better. What can we do cut cost? We gotta our projections for next year got to be better than they were for last year. We can't make any more profit unless we cut costs. Because we can't put out a product that is innovative enough to justify raising the price. We got to hold the price, compete against that guy and cut costs. What's that guy doing the same old dumb ass shit we're doing. He's cutting costs, So we got to cut cost so we can have our margin and not get priced out of the marketplace by that guy and have no new ideas. There's no innovation, no growth, no nothing. All they can do is figure out a way to get it done cheap or elsewhere. That's a huge problem in the US economy. So Ray Crock, Ray Kroc, who's Ray.
Speaker 1: Krock, guy who took over McDonald's from Ray mac ray mac when Ray is Richard and Maurice.
Speaker 2: Make that would have been the guy who was played in that movie by Michael Keaton. Yes, no, he was an innovator.
Speaker 1: What the fuck did he innovate? He wasn't no fucking innovator. He's a fucking manager. He literally cut all the calls. He's reason why all the burgers tastes like shit. He's the reason why the fucking drink is made out of powdered milkshake. He's the reason that quality goes down the drain.
Speaker 2: Sure, the quality went down the drain, but the business growth didn't grow down the drain. He streamlined the system, and.
Speaker 1: He system to be streamlined.
Speaker 2: He didn't out, he didn't say, he didn't walk into a bunch of He didn't find a mature entity, a mature thing and start taking people out of it.
Speaker 1: Of course he did. He took the owners who understood quality and what made the business thrive. Right, he understood the quality of the business was so high that he could shrink it down further and further to allow it to spread. Like, but but.
Speaker 2: It did though, So what like what how many people did McDonald's employed when he got there versus when he left?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it also depends on like like right, it's like.
Speaker 2: Like in comparison to Ford during the time when McDonald's employed one hundred x in a growth curve. Oh sure it was.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, I'm saying I'm sorry, hundred said hundred times. I'm talking about the first time. So I'm saying, go ahead. I'm saying it wasn't as many. So yeah, he took it ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so more locations, more employees more.
Speaker 1: Or whatever at the expensive quality, though.
Speaker 2: Sure Ford also at the expensive quality.
Speaker 1: Reduce their employment in America. Yes, yeah, but I think it's it's kind of the same thing. I understand the concept of employment in America, and I think that's what we're talking about, right, somebody like Ford, So you feel like that's the responsible. Some asshole just came in, like this is how we're gonna maximize profit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. I mean it's rampant throughout all sorts of verticals of commerce.
Speaker 1: And you think this is because uh, the Ford, Henry Ford was like he was pretty much done, and this is somebody taking over. Yeah, because like what happened to make because what's happening with in and Out could be happening with McDonald's. But because again they went after kind of the global look at the expense of having something that benefit human beings to it. I don't want to be You're right, I can't be too hasty because it does employ American people and people around the world. But I think that's the problem. I think when we keep exchanging quality right for the sake of growth, and I think that's still triggered by greed.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on the kind of growth. Yeah, I think what you.
Speaker 1: Know, because by the say standard, like the person who made the move for four it could be considered a global hero, right because they created more opportunities in China, created more opportunities in Mexico and everywhere else except America.
Speaker 2: We brought more people out of poverty in China than our breathing air in America.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: That happened for sure, you know. So yeah, it all does depend to scale, you know. And I was talking about the other day with somebody, like if you were to say the square this average square footage of an average house and an average town and an average income, the triangulate all the averages you can find on that house in nineteen fifty eight, you know, the arrow and everything. Everybody had everything. Whatever the fuck there was family of four or five, you know whatever it was with one small house and one car and one TV. Now that experience is three cars, five TVs, four cell phones, internet cable, all this sudd of shit TV was freeze the radio. I mean there's like I don't know what what's the what's the note on whatever the fuck house on a three hundred and fifty thousand dollars house in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Shit, that's probably a mansion in Indianapolis. I mean the note is probably, I don't know, twenty eight six twenty six did right there? About twenty six twenty seven something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you start adding in more cars and cell phones and internet and cable and whatever the fuck else, that those numbers almost match.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, what are you saying?
Speaker 2: I'm saying, there's two things happening simultaneously. You have an increase in the standard expectation.
Speaker 1: That has a standard of existent living.
Speaker 2: The standard of the expectation has outpaced like on you know, the in the median side has has outpaced median income by a lot, like the price I just saw a price breakdown by an economist of like the time price to buy a house now, I mean the amount of hours of work that you could buy at a again median income for median house. The house has grown. So you're getting a better, bigger house for less hours work today than was required to do so in like nineteen sixty right from a price per square foot standpoint.
Speaker 1: Sure, even though it's a piece of shit house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only one, the new one is the old one is. But the piece of shit built in twenty twenty one is better than a piece of shit built in nineteen sixty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm I'm a hand on that one.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. I mean you go look because the house built in nineteen sixty one's on hir ruin Central. Those houses knocked down you tip mote if you hit him hard enough.
Speaker 1: Oh no, there's some pretty ship the miles are some ship ones right there. They built them upfuckers out of brick.
Speaker 2: Oh they didn't bring Those houses are built out of dry wall. And as best us, you die a living one of those houses.
Speaker 1: That's a push, go ahead.
Speaker 2: But anyhow, the difference is also everything I said before. The regular costs to do everything else are three hundred a month for your family's cell phone bills. But even seven eight nine thousand dollars for a month.
Speaker 1: That's a push though, because you're saying without the electives of life, the extras, then it's said, would be livable. Fuck No, let me ask you this, okay, because okay, let's let's go back to that same house. Let's let's go to a house in Indianapolis right now, where would there even be a mass place to work to earn twenty seven hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: A month is nothing. That's thirty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 1: That's something like, where the fuck are you gonna get thirty thousand? McDonald's barely pay thirty thousand dollars a year. Do it even pay thirty thousand dollars a year? What is McDonald's minum wage? Fifteen dollars a hour fifteen times for six hundred, six hundred, twelve hundred, whatch you bringing on eight fifty? Everybody in the house got to work to pay that bill. That's shit crazy, Like, okay, right, if it's fifteen dollars times forty, that's six hundred times two to twenty.
Speaker 2: But that's but you're mismatching. Now, that's like a median house in the area versus the most the one percentile income. Your median income is like fifty.
Speaker 1: Right, median income is fifty.
Speaker 2: Average income is fit to a median house to match the meeting, But.
Speaker 1: Where is the median income fifty thousand dollars at Who the fuck is making fit? And this is what I'm saying, back to the original point that I'm saying, like there is nowhere to work in it. Okay, think about how few jobs is in the community, right, Like, I know you've been around a little bit, you know what's up. The jobs to me that make that kind of money are the jobs that are not there anymore. I mean, right, So if you didn't go to school, you don't go to college, right, Lord knows if you can afford college. But if you didn't go to college, how the fuck do you make? Fifty thousand dollars a year? Sixty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Trained jobs make more than that what trained.
Speaker 1: Jobs is available.
Speaker 2: If you pull up this is what we're saying.
Speaker 1: This Ford left the country.
Speaker 2: This is well, I mean, like right now there is a massive drought for a lot of basic skilled labor electricians, plumbers, all that kind of shit, mechanics, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It said, that's that's it said.
Speaker 2: That's it's a shortage for sure, major shortage nationally. Its regional. So like and the thing I think with Watts almost give credit WATS is transiend. In nineteen seventy Watts was like seventy five percent black and twenty five percent Mexican. Now it's the other way around. So less black people were fucking the Mexicans came out.
Speaker 1: People left, Nah, they got priced out. They didn't just leave. The prices really start slipping up, probably in the in the late two thousands. I remember that, Like I remember growing up right, hustling, selling drugs and shit. You can buy a house in Watch for fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: What year would you say, wats stopped being seventy percent black?
Speaker 1: Probably too, Well, that changed. But I'm gonna tell you why that changed.
Speaker 2: I'm only using the race thing because to identify you, not.
Speaker 1: Even race, because Mexicans wouldn't be a race, that'd just be white people.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying because if it was all black people, I couldn't keep track of who's moving in and out.
Speaker 1: Sure, uh, probably became fifty to fifty in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Like nineteen ninety. I don't know Tistically, I don't think the census number.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's true. I don't even think that's true because the projects wasn't fifty fifty. Projects wasn't fifty fifty in nineteen ninety for sure.
Speaker 2: No, But but I do.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, when I saw it was fifty five, well, I looked and I was on the seven and fifty percent of the people in the house at this point was Mexican. Now this is probably twenty nineteen, nine nine, two thousand and two thousand. I'm looking like, okay, every other house is somebody from Mexico or somebody else that speaks Spanish.
Speaker 2: Sure that's about a generation. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: But but what happened is right, is as the houses started to change pricing. It wasn't like people just left and then people moved in, right, Like some people left because they felt like there was no opportunity. Sure, right, so there's like, let me go get some opportunity, and then I do agree. Right, you may have had somebody that you know from you know, Mexico and below, you know, South America moving in multiple families.
Speaker 2: You know, it was just kids from Mexican parents and long bea shouldn't have shit else going on, or had a small, shittier job, and they moved to watch because they just could afford it to watch. Nah.
Speaker 1: Nah, nah. It was people who didn't even speak English. Yeah, it was definitely people you know coming across and ship and getting those properties. But see, it didn't used to be like now when I'm in the sixties, it's fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See Watts has always been hell of multicultural, Like even if it was seventy five to twenty five, they probably was a little bit more than that because I could always remember when I'm at my dad house, Mexican people being there. Like I think my older homies may remember a time of watch was like one hundred percent, but I ain't never in my life.
Speaker 2: So the East side has always been Grandma friend the thirties and they.
Speaker 1: Wasn't even a black family giged people.
Speaker 2: For a long time and watches right next to the south gates.
Speaker 1: So that's natural exactly. So something else is happening, Pete, Like, I don't think it's as simple as people are moving out and other people are moving in. I think there is a target. I think there's a reason people move here, right, And it's like with gentrification, right, there's a there's a mass movement of people. Like it's not as simple as like, oh you know what people like. Like even when I was in Content the other day, I went to a cook's corner. I think that's the name of the barbecue spot. Got the name of the barbacue spot.
Speaker 2: But that's not the barbecue. Remember I brought a bunch of barbecue content up here at one time.
Speaker 1: I don't know was it was it was it was it at a Dolley truck.
Speaker 2: There was a little, a small little restaurant. It was almost I think it was near churches.
Speaker 1: Like this place is fire. Oh, hold on, we call this motherfucker Mannica.
Speaker 2: Oh the we can't call in a barbecue address. In the middle of the podcast, everybody to stop us.
Speaker 1: Who's gonna fucking stop us?
Speaker 2: This is the most important thing we're gonna talk about. Exact opinion, quite frankly, exactly.
Speaker 1: I need to know about this je Manny Manny from as Boys fucking worldwide. What's the name of that barbecue spot in Compton you send me to? That was really good? That got the big dinosaur ribs in Comton. Oh, kitchen corner, Kitchen corner right back, So I was in k I was. I went to kitchen Corner the other day and I look and really, now, like you're right, Compton is probably like you know, Compton for sure would be like eighty percent. But I think that's the problem, right. I think what's happening is is there's a gentrification, right a thing happening. These These are conversations that's happening, even if we're not a part of them, Like even if they're not mainstream conversations, if everybody don't know about the conversations, these conversations Pete is happening, and these places are being targeted specifically for certain moves of economic growth, like even a gentrification that's not an accident.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about that's on the bar side. You're not gonna want to hear it. Sure, I'll preface it with a quote from Jamaica Andres because he came from Jamaica in the in the country and it was in the Bronx, and he's very critical, as a lot of people from the islands are when they come to the States. He would say, you know how I can always tell what houses the Jamaica's wearing in the Bronx. How's that because the lawn was cut and they had flowers in the front yard. That's his words, not mine.
Speaker 1: But the I get it, I get it right, because even even though that's a bit ridiculous, but I get what he's saying. Yeah, it's sure, Sure, it's a loose it's a loose idea it's a loose concept because there's black people who manicure their nons, but I know what he's talking about. Yeah, But but also it's different when you you come from a fucking third world country, right, and then you come to Compton or you come to the Bronx, you know what I mean. Like it's like when people say, oh, well, Mexican people come to Los Angeles, and it's like they like they gonna do nigga. They come from somewhere. Nigga's no roofs on the property. They come from somewhere. It's like a different level of poverty. So even at that starting point, it's still better than where they started at. It ain't like we're getting the It ain't like the Wilbors people from Jamaica's coming here.
Speaker 2: But that's not that matters, poet. But I mean, at the same time, you also if you came from nineteen fifties rural Mississippi or rural Louisiana, that's like modern day Jamaica poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but those people come and that's why if you look at certain houses in one eleven, one eleven is uh or how would I reference that to you? Imperial?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Imperial and van Is those houses, uh Compton, if you go to those older people houses that came from the south, look at their fucking house. They have those manicure lines, the grass they are, but them ain't that ain't the same house that Jamaican Andre and their family had in Jamaica. Ain't have no fucking lines manicured and no motherfucking flowers over there, just like the people of Mexico that come here, right, the homies and shit different people I fuck with, They didn't have fucking manicured lines and flowers in fucking Mexico Vans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not that far different people from like Danker and one hundred.
Speaker 1: And third, Danker and one hundred and third, thanking one hundred third, like one of the.
Speaker 2: Hood streets and the hundreds. That's pretty damn close.
Speaker 1: A mundid and third. But it is different, right because if you okay, I agree, right, because okay, I see you're talking about Yeah, so some of those people, all of those people aren't the people that came here originally and bought those houses, right, some of those people if you look at certain houses on those blocks, right, like if you go in the sixties, if you go on the hundreds and dinker in one hundred and third is what is it?
Speaker 2: I think that's like Hoover, that's hundreds that danker between Western and Normandy.
Speaker 1: I said, none is that fot? Yeah okay, so yeah, that's the hundreds. Wait a minute, man, that's wes Okay, one elevens. If you go to those houses, right, you go to any of those houses, it's going to be people that own that property since the fifties and sixties. That's why it looks like that. It's not the children, it's not the people who ended up on crack. It's not none of those people, because remember these neighborhoods were all nice at a time unless somebody's parents was going through it. But it's a hard competition to compete with somebody who comes from a third world country and then has opportunity at this. Even how they look at it is completely different. How they see it is completely different, like like what's going on in watch right now? Ever, since they sold the projects, you started to see white people. You in comp you started to see Asian people. I remember the only Asian people in the Compton Dog was one.
Speaker 2: Of the projects they saw.
Speaker 1: I know, right, it's some crazy shit.
Speaker 2: Oh with like the little mall over there.
Speaker 1: No, they sold the projects to who.
Speaker 2: Is the new Jordan Down Developments.
Speaker 1: No, it's you gotta look it up. It's some crazy shit, right. But I'm saying even when you on crench y'all right, like where where the low riders park at on the boulevard, Like with a Weani situation, I've seen a man, a white man, running his dog with little shorts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So again it's these are not like, oh you know what, let me find somewhere to move. I'm gonna go down here.
Speaker 2: I mean it's ten times worse than like the north side of avenues that like twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Ago were like side news. What's the north side like.
Speaker 2: You know, like Mount Washington. If you go up the one tenth north of day downtown, you get like at like North Avenue forty three.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking about like neor Pasadena. That that part of La Yeah that's not but that part of La Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like it was hood as fuck up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that been gentrified for a good twenty years now.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. It's like it's it's like that it's you know, say, from a time span standpoint, it's like, you know, but I think whole generations.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I digress. I think the point I'm saying is it makes it when we don't take care of each other as a society, right, Like Americans don't take care of Americans as a society. Right. This is where you have those problems. The fact that bel Air is right there and this is right here, right, that's what fucks it up. I think that's what makes people even more crazy than everything. How could somebody be ten miles and a half in time too much? Somebody ten miles have entirely not enough. That's just fucking crazy, Pete. Now, I think it was even the concept of the wealth gap, right. I think Henry Ford was an innovator. I do think, you know, Milton Herstey was an innovator. But they cared about other human beings to some degree, even when it came in America to see their dreams.
Speaker 2: Because the builder is that guy like that's that's one of my top criticisms of I'm not saying one of my top this is gonna sound wrong, but from an economic in the economic conversation, sure, the problem in the economic conversation, just so we're clear with slavery was most innovation and growth comes from hands on workers.
Speaker 1: Right, that's fair. The way you could take more cotton, you pick more cotton you have to get or you're working on the machine had plantation.
Speaker 2: No shit. But if you have the freedom to implement an idea to make something happen more efficiently, that's going to happen from the person who's doing it all day long. It's not going to happen from another guy, you know what I mean? Ninety nine percent of the time, I agree. So that's why you see, like the South was sparse concentrations of ultra wealth and then mass poverty, and in the aggregate, the South was way more poor than the North because.
Speaker 1: Even had wealthy people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because their whole working class of people that was slaves were not allowed to implement human thought. So they're just doing work frozen like cryogenically frozen in time.
Speaker 1: Sure, if they how they started is how they had to finish.
Speaker 2: If you had, however, many million people working on a task in an industry commercial vertical for fifty years in year fifty in year one, that industry wouldn't even resemble itself.
Speaker 1: Sure, normally, but usually you would have took the it have took how to make it happen faster when less people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some guy would work at a place, he'd go you know, they're slow at this. I can do it better. I'm gonna go across the street, start a small shop, do it faster, build and compete against them. Or they would just implement the thing, get a raise, whatever the fuck, and shit just happens. I mean, there's no there's not an example in which that's not really true, even agriculture now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm saying, what's the point of even doing it with slavery. I'm sure some of the slaves came up with better ideas, but I guess like you might be getting too many ideas, nigg You might think you could be free nicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, and how many of them are gonna say, oh, hey, uncle Bill, this is a faster way to do this. Yeah. Well, I'm saying, yeah, Bill runs the place. You're Bill's nephew, Uncle Bill.
Speaker 1: I got an idea.
Speaker 2: What if he do is? Where'd you come with that idea? Oh? That slave guy over there top that he's smarter than you probably not going to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: M hm. So then it has to be something as simple as greed. It cannot just be.
Speaker 2: There's there's a problem. There is an inherent just one thing. There's an inherent issue with the arc of like wealth growth when.
Speaker 1: It goes from you know what happened, and I'm not to cut you off. Wealth went from just wealth used to be more than just money. It used to be like a connection to community, a connection to humanity, you know what I mean, Like back in the day, it was wealth meant more than just I have entire too much money. It also meant I had the affection of human beings.
Speaker 2: It was tied to productivity. You know what the largest deal is.
Speaker 1: Ford really not still producing or is it just productivity based off.
Speaker 2: Between the Ford Motor Co Company, Inc? And for the guy sure, guy running for a CEO now not named for it. Sure, I don't have to even even have to look at it. No, But like talk about if like you know what the biggest industry in the world is currency exchange.
Speaker 1: Currency exchange make the most money with the money is I don't know.
Speaker 2: If they make the most money, but it's seven trillion dollars plus per day in global currency exchange. That's not production. Hiring somebody to come in and be hiring a room of five hundred analysts to scrutinize where you can save a nickel. That's not production. Paying somebody half a million dollars a year to be in house counsel to stave off some sort of stupid whatever the fuck slip and fall lawsuit that you're gonna face. For Christ knows, what is not production. Being in some sort of private equity subsidized bizarre matrix where you're just running free money around because interest rates were at one percent for twenty years, or because we've now subsidized big banks as being too big to fail so that they don't even understand risk components in the economy. There's no growth because there's no failure. You've subsidized failure out of existence. You have an enormous class of wealthy Americans that get money and produce nothing. That's the disconnect.
Speaker 1: How are these people getting more wealthy without producing anything? Today?
Speaker 2: Manipulation you don't think, and hyperregulation, I mean, what do you do now? Like like you're ex company and you're now the biggest company in your field in America or the world. What's your top priority. It's lobbying barriers of entry and barriers of competition from anybody else to knock you off the top. It's not trying to create a better product anymore. You pivot. Why do you pivot because you have new rooms of leaders who run out of ideas, but they don't want to lose their seat on the top of the mountain. So instead of you can't climb up any further, all you can do is prevent anybody else. Like that's the story. Like California right now makes sense. California matured into the fifth largest economy in the world by itself. You can't build here, Like how many people are billionaires in California from real estate development? That's like most other than the tech people who are also completely invested in an anti competitive environment. There's no competition for Apple, there's no competition for Google. And then take Donald Brinn of the Irvine Company out of Orange County or Caruso, the developer in La what do they do. They just lobby. They lobby for anything good. No, they lobby for exemptions and carve outs out of massive blanket regulations that prevent anybody from building anything except for them. That's why Caruso is always running for some sort of fucking office. That's why he's always in politics. Why you're always in politics? All you do is build shopping malls. All you can't build a shopping mall if you aren't in politics. Fuck part of the economy? Is that?
Speaker 1: Good? Looking out for tuning in to the Note Sellers Podcast, Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by my homeboy A King for the Black Effect Podcast Network and nine Heart Radio year