Speaker 1: Native lamp Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode eighty five of Native Lampod, where we give you our breakdown on all things politics and culture. Where your hosts, unless say, changed from last week, Tiffany Cross.
Speaker 3: Angela Rode, and I'm Andrew Gillan. What's up, y'all?
Speaker 5: Ag Andrew, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Great question.
Speaker 1: I will yield to you first what you want to what you want to talk about?
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: I am a little nervous about what's happening in Iran, but not so much about what's happening there. I'm really curious about how it impacts us. So, like, what happens if you know, a nuke hits the United States, or or what happens if it's just the fall of society and government is not functioning. How will we survive? And I'm interested in that because Angela, I'm at the state of the people who are had a whole simulation around what would happen, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Angela, what's up?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I want to make sure that I give you all the video that we can drop on this show, by the way, from that simulation. But I also I want to talk about survival skills. I know we have a guest joining us to talk about just that, and it feels very urgent to me that we're a little unprepared. I don't know if it's my homeland security background or what, but you go to Ready dot gov right now and they've even taken down a national Infrastructure security report that we would normally go to to rely on for what happens if the electric group is attacked.
Speaker 3: Well, then I watch all to survive.
Speaker 1: Finally, y'all, I think I love for us to just get a little conversation going about what happened this week in New York's very important race for mayor. So let's get into it. Well, y'all heard what we're talking about today. But before we get going, we want to remind you that if you like this show and you want to show us some support, the easiest way is to give us a rating, leave a comment, text an episode to a friend, or just tell somebody about Native Lampod. Thank you, thank you. In advance, we're counting on you to help us repad the word.
Speaker 5: Andrew, speaking of spreading the word, we actually one of our regular viewers who sends in questions all the time. I just want to remind the viewers please send in a video of yourselves with questions comments. If we say something you agree with disagree with, you know this is a conversation with you. We are not three people talking at you. So we so appreciate when y'all send in videos. And this brother has sent in a lot, so let's hear from him.
Speaker 8: Hated of Lamb folks is Ernest Champelle. Once again, I'm inside today, so it's not gonna be loud and noisy like you guys clown me on before. But anyway, just want to make a comment about why it's important that black people are concerned about Iran, Israel and now the United States war.
Speaker 4: You remember.
Speaker 8: World War two. That war was fought in Europe, but when the United States got pulled into it, hundreds of thousands of black gis and clean. Both my grandfathers and a great uncle, and I'm sure you guys have relatives who were in the war got drawn into it, they got drafted into it. They had to go fight. It's fast forward to the Vietnam War and the Korean War. Black people had to go fight. Let's fast forward again and the Iraq War, and once again, young brothers had to go fight. And I remember living in Washington, d C. Near the old Walter Reed and I would see soldiers coming back who lost their legs, and these young men were mad and angry, and so a lot of people like, well, you know, I got to deal with issues in here in America, but you got to understand everything's related, especially when it comes to economics. So get ready for gas prices to go up, because the Iranians are gonna cut off the Spicott and whatever oil's passing through that straight up horror moves is gonna get stuck because you've got all this fighting.
Speaker 5: Ernest, well, thank you for that, and we thank you for being inside. We clowned you with with love, my brother the.
Speaker 6: Same way in the middle of our intro.
Speaker 5: We we uh yes, and we we are so grateful that you take the time, want to listen to us every week, but also to drop a video and uh offer your questions and commentary. And that's such a good point that he made, because should Congress and the President reinstate the military draft, our boys would would be at risk first, and so you know could at bone spurs as we know did not. He was a dodge or draft dodger. Uh and Donald Trump, but he is all too willing to put us in a position to have our boys go and fight an award that they did not start. So thank you, thank you for that perspective. This is why we like having conversation with our viewers and we love hearing your points. Andrew. I'm concerned because the last time we were all together, the United States had not bombed Iran the Foord, Oh site. Now we understand that we have not even really disrupted their nuclear process. So at this point I am thinking about That's why at the State of the People tour in Baltimore, one of my favorite parts, we were just walking through a group of us me Joy read the Mario Solomon Simmons. We were just walking through and Michael Harriet and his wife Karen and Angela said, do you guys even know what you're walking through? We were like, no, what is this? It was like just shells with empty food, and it was an entire simulation of what happens should society fall, and Iran is not the only way that society can fall if a nuke gets If we get hit by a nuke, the coastal cities are done. All of us live in coastal cities, and so you might have a situation where it's just Middle America that's left. There's no functioning government. What does that look like? So I'm a little nervous about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I want to hear from Andrew, but Angela, I want to hear from you because you were talking about in our pre production call some five point plan or five action plan or something. So I'm just curious what y'all think about all of that, and how nervous y'all are.
Speaker 6: Andrew, are you going?
Speaker 3: I thought you okay, whomever you go.
Speaker 7: Okay, Andrew sink is Lencoln, so I would just say yeah.
Speaker 6: So I was just like, you know, just in case in case of christ.
Speaker 1: I got the issues out of order I was taking, So you go, okay.
Speaker 6: No worries.
Speaker 7: So what we did in Baltimore was create like what is commonly been known as tabletop exercises or I was calling it a five points activation. And the reason we did this is to ensure that our folks could get ready again. We spend a lot of time telling people all of the things that can happen, and you know, all of the crises that we are just write one step away from experiencing, but not a lot of time on how we prepare for them.
Speaker 6: So all of this is inevitable.
Speaker 7: It seems to me that our most reasonable service is getting people, at least prime to think about how they would respond. So our first activation point was a store, a convenience store where there was nothing left on the shelves and they were in the middle of a food and water supply shortage. How do you respond if there's no food on the shelves, and even in the convenience store, y'all know that, Like if you can't find nothing else, that's seven eleven my head. At toilet paper, you're looking for people experienced that during the pandemic. So if you go there and there's nothing, now, what do you do you know? Do you know about the black vendor that sells toilet paper? Can you order a in bulk? Do you know about the folks down the street that have a natural spring and you can get bottled spring water. Do you know about the local black farmers that produce different types of crops and produce and you know all of these things? Do you know about them? Are you connected to them? The second point was whe where the electric grid was attacked and power had been out for thirty days, we had someone acting. Eugene was acting. Even the battery operated candles, like people will be like, oh, well, I'll be good because I have these candles. What happens if you don't have to write batteries?
Speaker 6: You know? What are you going to eat?
Speaker 7: Do you have the type of meals where you can put mix it with hot water and you now have meals for.
Speaker 6: A little while? Do you have enough bottled water?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: What are all those things?
Speaker 7: The third point was if the cell phone towers are down completely and there's no internet either. We rely on these things so that we can organize ourselves around this.
Speaker 6: I can call my parents.
Speaker 7: Don't worry if I can't drive because the power goes out in my car it's stuck in the garage, I'll call it uper.
Speaker 6: Are you whose number do you read?
Speaker 5: Do you even remember? Like I don't remember a lot of people's numbers anymore. When we remember a week of dial right, right.
Speaker 6: That's it? So whose numbers do you know by heart? If you can't?
Speaker 7: If you have those phone numbers but the cell phone towers are down, do you have a satellite phone?
Speaker 6: Did you know about satellite phones?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: The next bunker or the next activation was a bunker. If there's a white supremacist attack like the J sixers, who are basically running the country at this point, attack black folks just like they're doing or wearing random ice where uniforms. You don't even know if these are actual ice officers. What happens if the attack comes to your front door or at least on your block. Are you prepared? Do you know how to defend yourselves? Do you have the tools necessary to defend yourselves? The final activation point, which I thought was the most scary, and we're starting to see it become more and more real every day, is the ice holding facility and officers were grabbing people off the line as they came through and zip tying them and sitting them along the floor. We had a surveillance that and what happens. There was a recording that said, you're at an ice holding facility, you don't have any rights. You don't have a call you can make. You can't call your lawyer. Bathroom breaks are at nine am and five pm, and we'll give you water when we have it. There's no food right now. How do you respond in an environment like that? How do you know to get your folks out? Do you know where to find them? Is there some what is the thing that we put together to ensure that from dread Scott the deportation?
Speaker 6: As LDF said right, that we actually.
Speaker 7: Have some type of protection of our citizenship ship which is hanging in the balance right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so those are the part points. That's amazing. I'm scared again, but that's amazing.
Speaker 7: Well, the idea is not to scary the ideas to force us in the conversations where we think about how we solve for them.
Speaker 6: They are scary. Tip, I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 7: But for me, the one thing that gave me solace besides the ice one which is really scary and I don't have a saft for it.
Speaker 6: We do have.
Speaker 7: Answers for most of those. They're expensive too, you know, like can we have it? Can we all pull together by a generator if if you know, if the electric grid goes out can we do that?
Speaker 5: So anyway, well, Andrew doesn't have a sink right now, so what I'm curious.
Speaker 6: How are you.
Speaker 3: Gyard?
Speaker 5: And you know I don't have buterations though, because you have three children, you have a wife, and to be honest with you, look forgive me feminists if this sounds sexist, but truly, if there is a man around, we all look into you like you got to figure out. I'm gonna take care of myself. But I wouldn't be if I was at your house, Andrew, I would be looking at you. You have to figure out how to get us out of here safely, and then your whole family is gonna be looking to you in that moment, Daddy and husband, what's your plan for us to get out of here safely?
Speaker 1: And as we know, we've all got lots of friends single and otherwise that you know you had a household, you got to care for the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to explain to my.
Speaker 1: Kids how uh they have to set the example when their friends come over for how to treat our home, because if you don't know how to take care of your home and set the expectation that if you drop a thing that's food on the floor, you should pick it up immediately because we don't want that squished into the wood floor of our home, you know, to take some pride in that, but to take that to its logical extension, we do have to be prepared.
Speaker 3: What I was thinking about when I.
Speaker 1: Was listening to some of the scenario playing is that it doesn't require a war for us to get to the point where we have to rely on these things. I mean, I live in Florida.
Speaker 3: We deal with hurricanes.
Speaker 1: I mean it feels like, you know, year round, and in some ways it's many years round because you know, in some instances you're three four years later still trying to recover from a storm that that affected your home back then. And yes, crises also show up. But I think this is important and this is why our guests who will be bringing on a few I think is going to be relevant for our audience, and that is you just never know. And in the context of war, when we are seeing nations and nation states move away from you know, wars showing up in the form of military troops, you know, landing and disembarking and walking down streets, that's gonna be our home front issue visa ve look at what we see happening under this president in California and elsewhere.
Speaker 3: But when you deal with players that.
Speaker 1: Are not as let's say vast as the United States with regard to as military capacity, there are many of them are going to the systems that disrupt the things that we rely on every single day. So what happens if through the push of a button over the internet from anywhere, someone can shut your grid down, someone can contaminate your water system where you live, someone can decide that they're going to play with the lights at this intersection and that intersection and turn out the whole city. What it is that we do to to to survive that? Because when it gets real real, y'all, and this is really what the power of that kind of warfare suggests, is that their intention is to turn people against people. So you take away people's food for long enough, we become pretty much a pariah, and they are going to survive for ourselves and for our families. And when it gets even more scarce, even deadlier, and more harmful, decisions start to get made. Because what do we all know to be the truth at the base of all humanity, and that is that a man wants to survive, the body is built to do such a thing, and you'll you'll do whatever is required in order to survive. So looking forward to looking forward to that, that that conversation.
Speaker 5: All right, it's time to pay some bills. Don't go anywhere, guys, We'll be right back on the other side of his break. Well, I just I want to say quickly because I want to talk about the mayoral race really quickly. But I just want to say, during the Holocaust, like you had older people snatching food from babies because it was this primitive survival instincts that kicked in that you needed to eat. I am down here in one of those black towns I told you all about, at the home of Michael Harriet. And when I tell you, guys like his whole setup, like they are growing. They're on to Angela's everything. Angela was saying, I was thinking, I feel so safe right now. If something happened right now, we do have all the things Angela talked about there. It sits on twenty two acres of land. There are multiple gardens, so we could survive, sustain ourselves. Here, I'm saying, we like I live with Michael inn. But we have literally I'm hiding things here so I don't have to pack them every time I come, but they get there. And that's another thing. If you have to flee your area and airports are down, everybody's going to be on the train tracks, everybody's going to be on the highway. Are you the kind of person that builds community, community or you the kind of person that fights for your own individual survival? I think I'm the kind of person. I know I'm the kind of person who would build community. You're welcome to walk with us. But being here, they are pretty much off the grid. The house runs on well water. They're growing potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, everything. This house is well protected. I'll say that because I don't know if Michael harry One means a lot of his business, but it's well protected like we would all be.
Speaker 1: When we talk with our guests, that we can dig into what are the advantages for those folks who aren't living in more ruralized areas and still want to survive, but they don't have the land to grow their own.
Speaker 5: They need blocks from the White House. Andrews, right, I know you know very well. I don't know if I feel safer there or do I say, like more of a target, you know? And I can't because in DC, you all know you will see snipers on the roof. That's not that's normal, you know, because like, oh, a dignitary is probably coming down this street today, and you know clearly that's the secret service, you know, Will Iranians or not? I don't want to depend on Iranians. Will any enemy say I'm going to try to take out this white house and like Calisi, who cares who's in the surrounding area? Or will it be a bunch of sleeper cells awakened and individuals committing random acts of violence and trying to be prepared for both? And I live alone, so you know, getting plans of action among our social groups. If the network is down, it's like, okay, you got an hour after something happens to walk to my house and then we're going to flee gas stations if you don't have gas for your car, like how well you dart? The gas stations are going to be packed.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, questions, Yeah, we got all the questions.
Speaker 3: I think we hope we'll get to and so to get.
Speaker 1: Y'all some answers as we as we bring our guests on.
Speaker 3: But before we get there.
Speaker 1: Mondani, in case you missed it, don't be embarrassed. There was a race held this week in New York. The pretty big deal for those in the city of New York because it included, well hel a bunch of candidates, one of which was the former governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, who had been leading the race the entire time. And then as a result of the elections, when people got out to be able to decide, they told us what they wanted. Let's run this clip and see see what people shows.
Speaker 9: Republicans are slamming Mom Donnie as anti capitalism and anti Semitic for criticizing Israel, which he denies.
Speaker 1: He says he's focused on the cost of living.
Speaker 9: We have won because New Yorkers have stood up for a city they can afford, a city where they can do more than just struggle, one where those who toil in the night can enjoy the fruits of their labor in the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so we saw and and got to hear. The news media on the introduction to Zoran's speech, wanted to type the typecast this race as sort of being about, uh, frankly, the big national issues, and it sounds to me, based off of the little and very limited following that I was able to do from you know, just you know, down here in Florida, it sounded to me like this brother really leaned into the everyday issues that appear to be showing up for people. How do I, you know, get groceries and under Trump's economy, uh, and still be able to enjoy the quality of life that I thought I was going to enjoy, you know, living here. They're talking about housing, They're talking about rent rates, and how it is that corporate New York has really taken over so much of the real estate and made it quite unaffordable for regular everyday people, uh to to to to live in the city. I just wanted to quickly share with y'all that some of the uh, the the surprise and the outcome of this race was was really born about because the money advantage was so significant obviously for uh the former governor. The former governor also in the lead up to the election, over Mandani enjoy significant Black support throughout the city. He began to close the spread of support amnks black voters throughout New York and the lead up to the election, collapsing that quite a bit and obviously running away with it. I'm curious to know from from the two of you real quick is whether or not you think this has greater implications for the City of New York or is there a message here for Democrats as they figure out how it is they run and win elections again.
Speaker 5: Yes, there is a message here. So I have to say, because I understand if you don't live in New York, you might be thinking, well, why do I care about the New York City mayoral race? But it's so important because to me, it shows that you can still inspire people. He ran on a very progressive platform. He was a state assemblyman, lived an immigrant, lived in Queens, born in Uganda. He was a part of this like rap group. So there are all these videos of him with like all this flavor, you know, rapping with in this rap group. He's she a Muslim married to a Syrian woman, and it's such an important story in transparency. Uh, we have a friend in the race, well, somebody we know who I would call a friend in the race anyway, Angela, y'all, if you're listening, Angela's making a face anyway, Okay, okay, I have a friend in the race, and I really value people who have conviction in their beliefs, and Mondani had conviction in his beliefs when they asked that he is not running for leadership in Israel, he is running for leadership in New York City. And the way the media, the political elite, the donor class all tried to crush this man's campaign because he did not have some undying loyalty to Israel. He defends Israel's right to exist, just as he does with the Palestinian people. And so the friend that I have in the race hedged a little bit and completely reverse something he was highly critical of Israel. And then because all this pressure around him, he walked back his words and it's like, oh, well, I didn't mean that when I said it, and it was disappointing to see. So I was out loud and proud and happy to support Mundani in this race. And to me, why it matters if you don't live in New York. It just shows you can be who you are authentically, and if you jump out there and take a chance and run for office, support somebody who's running for office takes some sort of action, there can be victory. All you people who ask about third parties, well, third party parties, you're very seduced by the president. Can we elect the president who's a third party? Mandannie happens to be a Democrat, but a third party person could have run on that same platform and won this race. It wasn't about the party. It was about what he was saying, making public transportation, free freezing rent, and those things resonated with the people of New York. So I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's going to be more to watch here, everybody. So if you're listening, know that these were the primary races that were held this past week, and that there is still a possibility that candidate Cuomo, former governor of New York, may file to run in this race and go to the general election by running as an independent, and so lots to watch.
Speaker 5: Cuomo. Don't do that. And if New York you have a chance to send a message to the America right now by doing something progressive. And I applaud you all for electing Mandannie as your candidate that you're taking to battle, but please do not put Andrew Cloma. He and Trump share the same donors. It's like we always say white supremacy is nonpartisan, not that he's a white supremacist, but they share a lot of the same supporters. So AnyWho, Angela, I know you live in Seattle and you're like, I am not really into this mayoral race. But what I think you are into is the message it sends.
Speaker 6: Yes, I will tell you.
Speaker 7: The one thing that I've been following on social especially is the number of folks who have felt encouraged by this. You know, it's really hard to come out of November last year and not feel all the hopelessness and be like, well, what do we have to do? Like there's no point. And also it gives me I have some questions about these election results still because I don't understand from I'm talking about from November, not from the man winning yesterday or sorry this week. I I want people to remember that there's always something we can do, even when it does feel hopeless.
Speaker 6: You might not be able to see it, but you know, the Bible talks about.
Speaker 7: Midnight, and a lot of us are raising the church and we always hear that midnight is the darkest hour. But you know, Don has to break at some point, So congratulations to New York on the dawn breaking sooner for y'all than the rest of us. But the Don is breaking, it sounds.
Speaker 5: Like, Okay, guys, on the other side of this break, we're going to talk about survival of the fittest. And I don't mean in the gym, I mean in the streets. Don't go anywhere. We'll tell you what we're talking about on the other side. All right, time for our guests, and I'm so so excited. We all are so excited to welcome Sharon Ross, better known as an Afro Vivalist, and yes, we're going to get into all of what that means. Sharon Ross, thank you so much for joining us. You would do a much better job saying what you do and what is an AFRO. Before you joined the show, we were all talking about how we're concerned about surviving when all of the structural parts of society have collapsed. What does that look like? And you walk it like you're talking because you don't just teach about that life, you're living that life. So walk us through who you are and what is an afro biblist.
Speaker 4: Everybody, I'm AFRO biblist. I am a African American survivalist. Put that together and it's Afro biblist. So I came up with that because I am a I am my father's son. Growing up, he was a marine and my little sister was too prissy to hang out with him, and I was the tomboy. So that's why I say I'm my father's son. And he is the one who started me on my journey to learning how to hunt, learning how to protect myself. I grew up in a all white community with which is where I ended up today, and I had to learn how to survive in an all white community in the early seventies. So I grew up hunting with him and fishing and learning how to harvest animals and all of that. And after I graduated from high school, I moved on to Houston and then came back here because that was a culture shock in Houston for me. It was too many, too many people and not enough woods for me, so I had to come back, and long story short, in my thirties, I decided that well, it was around Katrina that the aha moment came upon me and said, I do not want to be like them. Suffering. I want to prepare and get ready for whatever it is to come my way. And so that's where my journey started, on preparing and being a prepper and getting back out in the woods and hunting and doing my journey. People thought I was crazy. I've lost many, many friends because of it. But granted they're slowly coming back because they're realizing I'm not that crazy lady anymore, all right. And and so I started, you know, teaching a little bit to other people about it. It was it was hard to get other people, you know, ten years ago, sorry about my dog, ten.
Speaker 3: Years ago, love it welcome, ten years ago, to.
Speaker 4: Try to get people to understand that, hey, something may happen to us here in the Pacific Northwest, especially you know, the big earthquake that the Pacific Northwest is supposed to have. I mean, we're twelve years behind, so they're saying we're supposed to have a big one. Even with people knowing that I was still the crazy cu Cooh conspiracy theorists all of that, and so slowly people started asking me to join them and get presentations and classes and whatnot. And uh, when it came to COVID, people were going crazy in my office on Oh my god, I need to go get supplies. And I was telling people then before it got to the States, because I I don't watch local news. I watch international news, and international news was telling us the truth. So I was telling people, y'all really need to uh take this COVID thing that's going over in China seriously because it's going to come to us. And they're like, yeah, whatever, you're you're stupid, you're crazy, you know what. Whatever, And uh so I started ordering my my respiratory mask and and everything that I was needing, and they already knew that I was prepping. So I was. I had my food, I had water, I was good to go. I was good to go.
Speaker 5: Well, you were smart to do that. I'm so so sorry didn't just because we're tight on time, but you were so smart to do that. But I definitely want Angela to be able to jump in and ask you a question because she just did this great simulation and we want our to equip our audience with some specifics of what they need. So Angela, I'm tossing it to you.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, Tip and Sharon for joining us today. You had my ears perk up when you said Pacific Northwest. I'm born and raised in Seattle, and I moved back home last summer full time. I've been split in time between here and LA and before that between l A and d C. But I wanted to first say that I hope I can put you in my emergency front. We are going to do five people that we need to be in connect connected to in this this arm again and were about to go into. So hopefully I can put you on my list. I'm gonna save and remember your ten digit phone number. But I also want to say that I think it's really important.
Speaker 4: Yes, let me just say to be in my group, you need a year's worth of supplies. If you plan on coming, if you get the invitation to join me on my sixty five acres, you have to have a year's supply for every person in your family or you're not.
Speaker 7: Getting this is This is excellent, Sharon, this is perfect. So can you talk us through one. How have you prepared yourself to survive? I hear you saying sixty five acres when you say a year's worth of supplies, walk us through this like we slow and low kids, we don't know, So talk to us about how we prepare and we get sharing afro vibilists ready. We want to get it ready, we want to get it right. So tell us what I'm taking notes, What are the supplies we need for a year?
Speaker 3: Or is that where you would start?
Speaker 4: Where you start is in your kitchen. Look through your cabinets and find any and all shelf life stable foods meaning rice, beans, canned foods, dried foods, which is the high or freeze drive foods. Pull all of that out, put it in a tote and put it aside. And that's where you're gonna start with your pantry supplies. And then after that, you want to start going to your food pantries. If you look up I think if you google food pantries near me, it'll pop up every food pantry in the United States and you can literally find what's in your area. I would guarantee, I would suggest that you go to every pantry that you can that will allow you to get food. The fastest way to build up your pantry supplies is going to a food pantry. Save your money for now, because you're gonna need a generator, You're gonna need water purification systems. And if this war pops off, you're gonna need a full face mask with the respiratory uh filters. There's a lot. So I always tell people to try to save your money and utilize the food pantries first. Now people look at me and say like, oh, but I'm I work full time. You know, I'm taking for other from other people. But keep in mind that from me. I used to work volunteer at pantries. We threw away a lot of people, a lot of food because people have the nerve to be picky. You're getting free food and they have the nerve to be and so at the end of the day we would have to throw that food out. So I still recommend.
Speaker 7: You reference sharing a generator and a water purification system. A lot of folks talk about not getting generators because they're cost prohibitive. Can you talk to us about reasonably priced generators, reasonably priced systems?
Speaker 6: No, we're here, Can you hear us?
Speaker 4: I can hear you.
Speaker 7: Yes, Okay, So I was saying in your remarks you mentioned getting a generator in a water purification system.
Speaker 6: Can you talk to us.
Speaker 7: About reasonably priced water and water purification systems and generators? And if that is, what is required for your years long supply to go on your sixty five acres.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna kind of eliminate my sixty five acres from it because I'm fully now and you guys are just starting. You can't start where I'm at. So I would say, use your water catchments. Also, use your roofing. If you're living on a house, use the water from your gutter and to have that drain into a fifty five gallon water barrel. And because you can use that water later on to purify it, to drink, to you bathe in and whatnot. And then the best, I like, the best water purification system would be Soyer, which is s A W y e R. They have a household system that you can use set up to your system and it's a drip system that goes into a container that you would need to use a generator. If you're living in a house and the electricity goes down, you're gonna need one of those. And right now generators are a hot item because people who are going through these natural disasters are buying generators. I mean I have five. I mean people are like, yeah, you're doing too much, but you know what, I have a backup, my backup, to my backup, to my backup. I mean when I find them on sale, I buy them. So there you got your water purification system, you got your generator. And another thing I would also recommend is a solar generator. So you go out and buy I use. Let me show you I am now plugged into.
Speaker 1: Jackery and and say more about jackeriye, say it again.
Speaker 3: Can you explain that.
Speaker 4: Is a solar generator. So you hook this to your solar panels and it will charge and it will get full up to one hundred percent. I don't know if you can see that, but I have seventy four percent on here.
Speaker 1: But when I play, it'll hold the electric power, it'll hold it.
Speaker 4: And this is a little one. This is just from my laptop my cell phone. But I have a bigger one that's over there that's running, that's being charged right now for the generator. And that's the one that I use at night. So during the day I use this fallen and then the larger one I use at night. So during the day, when the generator is running, I'm running the big one to make sure that's one hundred percent. Once it gets to one hundred percent, I disconnect it, turn it off, and then when it gets to night time, I turn it back on. And that's what I use at night if I want to watch a movie or something like that. But Jackery, I recommend this one I found on sale for one ninety nine. The bigger ones they can be in the thousands, but I recommend them because they will come with your solar panels and they work great when.
Speaker 3: I have That's good advice.
Speaker 4: When I have the Jackerie plugged into the solar panels. Believe it or not, they charge faster on the solar panels by the sun than they do from the generator. Wow.
Speaker 1: So what I'm share in Yes, I have a quick question as we were thinking about our listeners all across the country you had alluded to in your earlier statements. If this war pops off, there are all kinds of scenarios that can lead people wherever they are in the country, whether they're living lifestyles similar to yours or in more urbanized areas, or they could be you know, in rural south but collected to the grid system, and so everything is pretty much provided when it comes to an urban service, if you will. So, as we think about the kinds of scenarios that might lead people sort of down this road. I'd love to hear you articulate what maybe just some of those might be. And then second, if we accept that to be the case and we want to then make preparation, what would you recommend You mentioned you know, you're clearly at a much more advanced level, But for the rest of us that are out here who are comfortably where we are and just don't want to put at risk really life and health should emergencies, you know, impact us, what kind of guidance would you offer around getting started.
Speaker 4: So it gets started other than what I've already spoke about is yes, Because so what I think is going to happen is our enemies out there know that our power grid sucks, they know it's bad, they know it's one hundred years old, et cetera. So I don't think and I hope that they won't nuke us, if you know what I mean about doing a ground attack. What I think may happen is they'll set something off above our atmosphere and that will take down our whole grid once they do, or they will attack the substations. So we've got fifty five thousand substations in the New United States. All they have to do is take out nine nine to take out the whole country. Okay, So that's why it's important to get a solar system set up, get your solar s up and ready to go, just in case, because you know they can't put out the sun. Well they might, but the sun's going to be there for us. Then the electricity will be if an attack is taken upon us here in the United States.
Speaker 5: There's also things like ham communicating via radio like Ham radio, and but even just trying to find each other in the immediate aftermath of something happening. I've bore witness of this myself. I was at CNN at the time nine to eleven happened, and you could not get in or out of DC. It was complete gridlock. I was angel. I believe you were still in DC when an earthquake happened and you weren't there. This was like twenty ten, twenty eleven. I thought you were still living there then, But there was an earthquake that happened in DC that reached d C and you another time where you couldn't really get in or out. My question is about weaponry because as black people, we are in a unique position where, yes, we can fear and Iranian regime wanting to defend their land by striking us here domestically. However, we also have homegrown terrorism that is now operating out of the White House, that has emboldened white nationalists, that actually employs white nationalists within the administration. And so in terms of defending ourselves, I'm curious your thoughts on can you hear me, miss Ross? Are you still there?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, So in terms of defending ourselves, you know, I'm learning how to shoot a shotgun, but what kind of weaponry should we be thinking about, if any? Obviously in states where it's legal and going through a legal process, right.
Speaker 4: So I was just gonna say, if any, find first find out if what you can carry, Go out and get your license to carry. Number one, be legal about it. Number two, go out and find I would suggest to go to a range and just sample different firearms and see what you're comfortable with before you go out and purchase. And then once you purchase, go join a class and learn how to use that firearm properly. It's really important because you know, you still got people out there who think they can hold their guns like this, you know, and that ain't the right way to hold a gun, you know, And you got to learn the importance of that gun being on safety and why it should be on safety at all times until you're able, until you're wanting to use it. So take those steps first and start researching what type of firearms you want, if anything, you would want any something small enough to be on your person so you can be able to conceal it when you're going into a crowd or you know, going into the stores or whatnot, because a lot of people still will they'll freak out when they, you know nowadays, when they see someone walking through the store, you know, with the gun on them. You know, you want to make sure that it's concealed, and it will just cause your problems in the future if if you're exposing yourself because you know, you got people out there, who are you know, gonna be panicking or whatnot, thinking you're gonna shoot up the store or whatever. So be careful with that.
Speaker 5: The dog agrees with you and.
Speaker 7: Sharing I was gonna I was gonna ask. So you talked about the pantry, we talked about property. We haven't really talked as much about produce or the other things that we need to ensure that we're okay. So I don't know if folks if there's a way that folks can tap in with you and learn, like what is that down that list you know of things that people need to survive for a year, whether they're on your property or not. What does that look like? Give in the crisis that is looming, we want to ensure that our audience, our listening audience, and their family.
Speaker 6: Members are okay.
Speaker 7: I've learned a lot about satellite phones recently and the importance of AVA ass to that tip just talked about radio.
Speaker 6: What are the other things that we.
Speaker 7: Really need to be leaning into in these treacherous times.
Speaker 4: You want to make sure that you have all of your medications prescriptions if you can get if you have to take a medication on a regular basis, talk to your doctor and see if you can get a minimum of a three month supply. And start stalking up on meds, even over the counter medications. When you're going to the stores and you find you know, allergy medicines, diarrhea medicines that are on sale byom and just start stocking up on them, I stalked up on toothbrushes. So my routine when I was in the city before I moved here to my homestead, I would go to the dollar store, grocery outlet and ace hardware. They were like on each corner. That's what I called my prepper corner. And I would go into grocery outlet and tell myself, Okay, my limit is a dollar ninety nine, and if I can buy something for a dollar ninety nine, I can get as many as I want. So I would find toothbrush packets for dollar ninety nine, toothpaste, those dental floss things, you know, anything for a dollar ninety nine and under, and I would buy those. Anything, any canned foods that was a dollar ninety nine, I'd buy any medications. And then sometimes I'd go in and say, okay, today's my five dollar limit. I can buy anything five dollars or less and find them on sale. And that's another good way to stock up there. You know you want to get a lot of your personal hygiene items, start stocking up on that, on your soaps, on your detergents. I make my own laundry detergent, which consists of borax baking soda, a washing powder soot soap, and then a scented what do you call those? You know, the scented Yeah, the smell good. If you get those, you combine all those two together one tablespoon I'm sorry, one uh one fourth cup is good enough for a whole load, so you don't need to use a lot of it. Oh and I also put oxyclean in that mixture too, so you don't need a lot of it. And it lasts a long time. I'm on a three gallon bucket that I made and it's I'm still I've still got like a year left of use from that. So things like that. Think about your soaps because if you go out and buy those big soaps, you know, the big block soaps you can take, you can cut those down to like the Hotel fiaps. So one of those big soaps can bring can get you twelve of the Hotel five soaps, you know what I mean? So think that way. Think always think, Okay, if I'm going to buy this, how long is it going to last me? And then can I stretch it? How long? How long can I stretch it out? That makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sharing your advice has been really really good for us, and we know we've got to get you out of here soon.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to just ask if.
Speaker 1: There are resources that you would recommend folks access from wherever they live. If it's going to a website that you find particularly helpful, or if there's an organization that you've connected with that you might want to recommend that folks go to to get more information. I love if you could do that, and then I didn't hear the answer to it, so I just want to ask it one more time, and that is for radio communication. If satellites were to go down, are we talking analog? What do you recommend for being able to be connected via coms?
Speaker 4: Satellites will evangel go down? I think Ham radios are good. I do have my HAMD radio license, but there is a radio etiquette to it. So you need to join a class and learn what that etiquette is because it is FCC license and it is against the law to not follow their etiquette. And then if you don't want to use a HAM radio, find a radio that's got a long range to it where and then give each one of those to your team members and then start practicing the use it, start creating your own code, so you only you and your team will know what that code means. Okay, satellite phones, that's an iffy iffy because they're really expensive and then they have an expensive monthly service. So unless you are using that every single day to get your money's worth out of it, satellite phones can be kind of iffy iffy. There is an app on your phones. I think it's called zel o z E l l O and it's a walkie talkie system. So go on your phone and get find the apps that are off grid apps that you can communicate with two other people and you can set your all your team members up on that and you be able to utilize your your utilize that app through your phone off grid when the grid is down, so your phone may be you may not be able to make a call, but you'll be able to use that app as a radio to call your members.
Speaker 1: Excellent advice and I'm loving that you're you're recommending that you get practice with this before an emergency hits. Yeah, and then resources was the was it was the other resources that you'd recommend.
Speaker 4: Which which one to learn more about what it means survive right now?
Speaker 3: Survived so of course.
Speaker 4: You know go to my website. Really, so my website is it's it's a disaster because I had a web designer doing it and now he's gone and I can't get to my website. I can't update it, but it's still information there to go to get current, go to my Facebook page afro Bibleist Facebook page, and I do have lists on there that has a full list of what you need to survive, a full list. I even asked chat GPT about it and it's on there and Jack chat GPT has a good list and I shared that list. So when you want to find anything current when it comes to prepping or any kind of knowledge that I'm putting out there, most likely I'm going to put it on my Facebook page first because I'm still trying to get access.
Speaker 7: To and I'm sharing one last thing. Oh sorry, no, I didn't mean to go off. I was going to say, we just did this process where we got experts, policy experts from a variety of fields to contribute to our black papers, policy initiative process through State of the People, and we don't have one on survival skill. So I would love if you would consider doing a black paper on that to help expose our audience and our people, our communities to what's needed to be able to survive. Right now, your list, the other things that you feel comfortable sharing, we would love to have you. I would connect you to doctor David Johns, who's the editor in chief of that process.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, listeners, you all have heard it direct here from the expert.
Speaker 3: Herself and what it means to survive.
Speaker 1: Well, as far as I'm concerned, you ain't said a silly thing yet. All of it makes sense for survival and we want to make sure that we are and we and our listeners are equipped for whatever the condition might be, you know, getting off the grid and living you know, more independently might be some folks's aim and others that just might be I don't know what might come right and how do I make sure I protect my family and myself. We thank you so much for being so generous with your time, miss sharing, and want to make sure that you leave any contact information with us that we can share with the listeners that you are willing to, so that folks have a way that they can get directly to you. And of course, as you mentioned before, following you on your Facebook page.
Speaker 4: So feel free so one thing before I give that announcement is also go hit your second supply stores like your Goodwills and whatnot, and start purchasing shoes for your children that are one, two, three, four sizes too big. Shoes and clothes. If you got infants, go buy them secondhand, get them washed, and put those aside, because when it comes to that there's we're gonna be suffering in the next six months to a year and beyond. So make sure that you've got enough clothes. Go out and buy your blankets. Go get the second hand blankets and then wash them and then put them away. You can find more information like I said, on me at afrobiblist dot com, afroviolists on YouTube, which I don't do a lot, afro biblists on Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 5: Like I said, perfect, Thank you so much, Afrovibleist. We learned a lot. Thank you so much for doing all right. Well, I'm going to get all my supplies to make sure we're good and on the other side of this break, we're going to tell you what we need you guys to do this week. Don't go anywhere, y'all.
Speaker 1: We have had a full show and still so much to talk about, but want to make sure that we get the chance to issue what our audiences and joys hearing from each of us each weekend.
Speaker 3: That is, what are your tegaways?
Speaker 1: Give me your CTA answer, Latiff, what do you want us to do or know?
Speaker 7: Mine is to find five people in your city whose phone numbers you could memorize and who you can stay connected to in a time of crisis. I would definitely encourage that that's mine for this week.
Speaker 5: That's a good one. Well, I want to thank everybody from my last CTA. So many people have sent me vegan recipes and v ideas. I don't know what I'm gonna do in an apocalyptic America trying to be vegan, so I want to stay with the survival theme though, because we got so much good information from our guests, I would say my CTA is learned. The earth is so generous with what the earth offers us. So even if you're in the city, learn gardening, like learn how to grow your own food, grow tomatoes, grow an avocado, this great protein, grow onions, like herbs, all of those things. Yeah, I think that's a good idea because who knows what tomorrow is going to bring so yeah, let's get back to like being self sufficient just within ourselves.
Speaker 1: I love that mine is I guess I don't know, maybe personal, but maybe I think hopefully applicable outside of individual, and that is I would Last night I participated in a call for a relative who is right now and surgery. I won't say money details, but a watching my phone for the updates that are coming and knowing that God's doing he he what he must do and we'll do for successful surgery. But what it reminded me of as we all were on the zoom talking last night, was how the history and our community of really secretive or being secretive around our health, keeping it very close to the vest. That the time that you are learning about a relative being gravely ill is when a relative is called and saying you need to call us and such because you know they're on their last And I just thought about how it has built a real trauma scar for me when I get the update the call, because now I associate somebody's health update with you know, you know they're on their way out, and you know, my dad's very much came like that. I mean, we had just finished the race for governor and he had just been campaigning, and then it's like everybody keeps things from you out of protecting and to keep it close.
Speaker 3: But what I wanted to salute was this this hopeful.
Speaker 1: Energy within our community of being more transparent around ours and our family members health journeys. I don't mean the broadcast it, but amongst with each other, so that we can kind of disrupt this cycle of secrecy there that is very deadly and I think creates something I didn't really realize or really associate before, which is a real trauma in me about health and health updates and whether or not the only time you share is when somebody's about to tap out. And and and I think we've I think that tradition is deadly. I think is much more in the spirit of who we truly are as a people to be sharing with our with our with our with our close people so that they can champion and pray for us uh and help to keep us on the straight and narrow as we all try to navigate this life and live the best of it. So that's my scene today.
Speaker 5: I like that I don't know why we're so secretive, especially with black folks. Yeah, you know, I mean like our grandparents, like I didn't want to worry anybody, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely my dad was that way. He didn't want to load on.
Speaker 1: And if they weren't, it was like, you got enough to deal with in your life, you know, you don't have to do, you know, deal with mine either. And then some of it is like a little shame. You know, maybe he didn't go to his doctor every year, and so maybe he thought by having, you know, avoided all that stuff, that that he was in some way part responsible for the situation.
Speaker 3: I mean any number of things.
Speaker 1: Y'all may have ideas out there listeners, family around while we do that, and I.
Speaker 3: Do think we got to do a better job of just lifting it up.
Speaker 1: Angela, you've exhibited and been very transparent, you know, I think and beyond with with our listening audiences as you're navigating it very personally. But I was talking to my sister and just completely lost control last night in the conversation because when I got the note about joining the Zoom, I thought that this, you know, I'm like, you know, what is am I just learning that there's something here that about to happen?
Speaker 3: And I was afraid about joining.
Speaker 1: And the truth is is Our family has worked really hard over the last couple of years since the passing of both my dad and his brother's illness and my grandmother and grandfather.
Speaker 3: That we have got to do a better job.
Speaker 1: Of one just as a family and being in concert and connection, but two as we all grow older our health and how we can support each other through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that. Well, this is why we encourage you all to please tell a friend about the show, because I you know, we don't know everyone who listens, but we know most of y'all who listen, we have the same background. There's a lot of commonality here, so hopefully and listen to this conversation. It will invite somebody to be more open about their health status and more open about something that they're going through health wise. Don't do that to your kids. I have to tell you, like I've always had to hear about something going on my mom from somebody else, and it's like, yeah, just you know, share that information with your kids. And if you know somebody who's going to do something, please send them this episode so maybe they can be encouraged to share.
Speaker 4: Mark friend.
Speaker 5: Thank you, subscribe, I love it.
Speaker 1: New episodes drop every Thursday. And Friday with solo pods on Monday. And I shouldn't say it, but sometimes you know, you get a little bit sprinkled in there on top of a little extra extra for a Monday greeting from me possibly and reliably my friend and co hosts Angela Rye on Tuesdays. This week, our podcasts here at Recent Choice are gonna collide. Check out Off the Cup That's Cupp where Si Cup talks with her girl and our girl, Jamil Hill about her take on the w nb A, mental health and sports and.
Speaker 3: Why there's no escaping politics.
Speaker 1: Y'all want to join in and listen to that, don't forget to follow us on our social media and subscribe to our text or email lists on Native lampod dot com. We are Angela Ryot, Tiffany Cross, and I'm Manager Gillum.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There are four hundred and ninety five days until mitchrom elections morning.
Speaker 2: Please thank you for joining the Natives intentional what the info and all of the latest regulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the pacers reason for your choice is cleared. So grateful it took to execute roles. Thank you for serve, defend, and protect the truth. Even in pace we walcome home to all of the natives.
Speaker 4: We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reasoned Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.