Speaker 1: You found your way here to waking up with Ryan. I'm so glad that you pushed play. This is the place you and I come to wake up together. So let's take a deep breath and begin.
Speaker 2: Good morning, my love.
Speaker 1: Today I want to talk to you about boundaries, because boundaries are a big word in personal development and spirituality. It's often used as a way to think about keeping someone or something out and putting up a boundary so you don't belong in here. Okay, that's fine, But I'd like to entertain a different way in that may be more helpful. Rather than thinking about boundaries as something exclusive, how can you think about your boundaries as something that is inclusive? So if you imagine a boundary around you as boundary, like a fence around you, let's call it ten feet in circumference all around you. What if a boundary is actually this really sacred wall or fence, and your focus is about what belongs in this space rather than what should.
Speaker 2: Be excluded from the space.
Speaker 1: What if you think about what do I want in this space?
Speaker 2: How do you want to fill this space?
Speaker 1: And let that be the information that dictates whether or not someone or something is welcome into it.
Speaker 2: So What do you want in this space? Do you want love and care?
Speaker 1: Do you want creativity and opportunity? Do you want the kind of energy of yes, right, yes, and rather than no, no, no, that won't work, because what about yes? And let's build from there. Do you want emotional intelligence? Do you want the energy of the capacity to sit in a deep place and be able to feel everything that all the colors that life has available for you, the stuff that's really, you know, bright and positive and gorgeous, and the stuff that has that darker tone that's more painful and uncomfortable but very real. Do you want the knowing of who you truly are in this space? What do you want inside of this boundary?
Speaker 2: How are you then filling this space with that.
Speaker 1: Energy, emitting it from your heart and your mind? How are you inviting others to know that that's what you want in this space?
Speaker 2: Not in a way that's like.
Speaker 1: You made a mistake and you're imperfect, and I don't want that here, and so get out of my life. You know that's not what we're talking about. I certainly know that, I certainly hope you know that that's a very immature way of dealing with this.
Speaker 2: Rather it looks more.
Speaker 1: Like when something comes in or someone comes into your life and does something that isn't in alignment with what you're committed to. If what you want is emotional intelligence, how do you sit inside your boundary and feel everything arising inside of you? Rather than reacting from the first thought and attacking back, which is actually what you don't want inside your boundary and saying, man, you don't belong here, get out, I don't.
Speaker 2: Want this in my life. No.
Speaker 1: Instead, if what you want is that emotional maturity and that divinity of capacity to be with, what is how do you feel what's arising inside of you and do your inner work and then communicate with the person you're in conflict with to say, hey, you know when this happened, When you said this thing, what a rose inside of me?
Speaker 2: Was right?
Speaker 1: You turn that wall into a window. You let them know as long as you're safe and they're safe for you to do so what that experience was like for you, And then you communicate really clearly what it is that you want. You know, hey, I'm really committed to relationships where I can have tough conversations and where we can really look at each other and remember to do the work together and be kind to each other as best we can, and you know, recognize that in relationships, tough things happen and there's ways that we can move through them that can be really healing for us. And then ask that person, are you willing to meet me there? Are you willing to show up inside of this conflict in a way that we could move forward together and both potentially have I'm healing from it and maybe get closer as a result of that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about here.
Speaker 1: It's like, let them know what your boundary is in an inclusive sense. This is what I'm committed to, and you can also say and what I don't want is the reactivity. I don't want the blaming, the shaming, the attacking, the judging.
Speaker 2: I think all of that.
Speaker 1: Is here, But we could have a way to move through it together that's different, that uses that material as an opportunity for more understanding.
Speaker 2: And if they say to you, yes, well, then there you go.
Speaker 1: If they can line up there yes with the actions, then there you really go. And if they can, if you've communicated as clearly as possible and they roll their eyes or they say I don't want to hear it. Well, then there's your boundary. I'm committed to keeping this inside and thank you so much for sharing with me what you're committed to. And I must say I'm going to leave now. This is how you navigate boundaries in a relationally intelligent way that actually serves you being committed to the life that you.
Speaker 2: Want to build and to the becoming of who you really are.
Speaker 1: So let's go into a short practice to open and expand the love inside of your boundary today. So we close your eyes if you're somewhere that you can do so, and by the way, if you can't because you're walking the dog or driving the car, it's okay.
Speaker 2: You just listen along and take some deep breaths.
Speaker 1: Already the breath, the pausing and the breath is already adding to the infrastructure of this space around you. Perhaps that's enough. Pausing and breathing with every inhale, inhaling the love of the heavens, of life, of this universe of creation, inhaling the brilliance that is at the source of everything, and when you exhale, noticing as that energy moves into this space around you that has a container that is this fence or this wall, this boundary around you with every exhale, filling this space.
Speaker 2: With love and noticing the people or the things in.
Speaker 1: Your life that are easy for you to include in this space, who enter into it sacredly, who you trust to be inside that space, or what you trust to be inside that space, and take a moment of gratitude. How sacred If you even have one person that you can invite into that space, that's major. And if you don't have anyone or anything that you feel that you can invite safely.
Speaker 2: Into that space, I'm with you. I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Perhaps you invite an ancestor or a pet, or a tree, a beautiful vista, or a positive memory, or a delicious tasty meal you had recently, some experience that clean, lovely, Just offer your gratitude, thank you for being so beautiful in the space with me, for being something so beautiful that I get to witness and experience.
Speaker 2: And take a reflection now.
Speaker 1: On the things or the people in your life that aren't quite at the level of what you would like to have in this space around you. Maybe those or the things that sometimes enter it really well and sacredly and safely, and those who sometimes kind of shatter the energy inside that boundary, and perhaps you open now to become aware of a conversation that you can have with that person, or a way that you might approach that thing that can be in alignment with what you truly want. Let's take a deep breath in and let it go, m beautiful. Let's take one more deep and exhaling again, filling that space around you with love. Seeing this space around you contained by this boundary, so filled with light and love. Now trusting that that light that love extends with you. It's like this beautiful bubble around you as you move through the world today, and when you're ready, blinking your eyes open, loving you from here, Hi, I hope you're feeling even just a little bit more prepared to take on the day. But before you go, I'd love to hear from you, and you can send me a voice note by going to my website Waking Up with Ryan dot com, scroll down to the section that says send Ryan a voice note, Tap the button to leave me a voice message with a question you have, maybe a relationship challenge you having, or a spiritual hang up, some kind of an emotional struggle, any topic that you'd love for me to address on the podcast.
Speaker 2: I want to hear from you, loving you from here,