Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: I hope you survived at least your brackets this weekend. Come on in stay a while, first hour on a Monday. Gang's all here, the King of Comedy, Fritzie you got seat, and Marv Pauli yours truly the backroom guys, and it's full speed ahead today. Jay billis from the mother Ship, John Calipari is he an underdog now with Arkansas? And Bill Simmons from The Ringer will stop by talk about his documentary series on the Boston Celtics. As we always do every Monday, it's best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like, you can dial us up. Operator Tyler sitting by to take your calls. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Auburn, Houston, Florida. Duke all advance And for the second consecutive year, you have all four number one seeds reaching the sweet sixteen. Now, this is the first year since two thousand and seven that no team seeded eleven or lower reached the sweet sixteen, the fifth time since the tournament expanded to sixty four teams in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: Wow, stand of a Day, Stanta Day, stant outa Day, stand outa Day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stele of the Day, brought to you by Panadi America, the official trading cards of this program. Everything's on sale at Danpatrick dot com. Everything under twenty dollars, so go there. We're going to clear out all the merchandise there for the spring. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life, affordable pain jobs, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. I'm not sure if this is a statistical anomaly or maybe this is the trend. You're going to have the Big Ten in the SEC. And it's almost as if the SEC Commissioner Greg Sank gave his athletic directors a directive, Hey, we're more than just football schools. Let's become a basketball conference as well. And we have seven SEC teams that are still alive. But it feels like this is the Big Ten and the SEC against the rest of the college basketball world. And I'll talk to Jay Billis about what is the future with college basketball. By the way, happy Transfer Portal Day today. Of course it should be on a Monday, after what happened over the weekend and the Sweet sixteen coming up. Why do we have the transfer portal during tournament play? Why do we have the transfer portal during the bowl season as well? Now I know the timing of semesters with schools, but it's just a bad look. Imagine if you're coaching in the Sweet sixteen and you know, maybe one, maybe two of your players would be playing for somebody else. And I could envision this scenario, you know, at the end of the game, and the coaches walk by and walk by, and the players walk by. You imagine a coach, let's say he just lost or you just lost, and he'll be like a, hey, why don't you get in the transfer portal? We'll see you next year. Congratulations, Congratulations, congratulations, Hey, transfer portal, congratulations, congratulations. It's just a bad look. You don't need to at least you shouldn't have it during tournament time. And I guarantee there are players who are playing who will not be playing with their school next year. Guarantee. All right, we'll have a poll question, Play of the day, stat of the day, all of that coming up. Connecticut's out, Saint John's is out, Wisconsin's out. Xavier's head coach is going to the school that he knocked out in the first four as. John Miller is going to Texas. So he was at Arizona, had some problems there. Xavier Bailedymount got Xavier to the turn. Now he's bolting for Texas. Welcome to college athletics at its finest. You know, we complain about the these coaches rail about the transfer portal. The coaches have been in a transfer portal for decades now. It's just it's silly when you hear them bemoan the transfer portal because coaches do it all the time. All Right, see what's poll question today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we'll start with the tournament. Obviously, Paul sent in one, the NCAA tournament is better with more underdogs or heavyweights. I feel like that's a there's a sliding scale, but the keyword there is more. You probably want more heavyweights typically, but this year it'd be nice to have a few more underdogs.
Speaker 2: I can't see John Caliperry in Arkansas as an underdog. Anybody is though, I guess, but there's too much money in Arkansas, and you know, just you got Walmart money down there.
Speaker 3: That's not something said very often, by the way, No, but too much money in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: There's one family. There's a family. Yes they have too much money, but yes, I don't. I've never viewed John Caliperre. Well maybe at UMass he was an underdog, maybe when he was in college as a player, But in this tournament, I guess he's the underdog. Is he the feel good story of this right?
Speaker 3: That's a little plucky. We're just trying to keep this magical run going.
Speaker 2: I mean, if this was Arkansas State, then I would go okay, yeah, but that's not Arkansas State. It's just Arkansas. I think we always want to have that one school that gets into the sweet sixteen or lead eight and you're able to go wow, George Mason, h look at them Loyola. Oh that's great, what a great story, a cute story. Then we sort of want to kick you to the curb. Then we go, okay, let the really good programs play for the championship. What other pole questions do we have today?
Speaker 3: What word better describes this year's tournament other than madness?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: March sadness. That's for Utah.
Speaker 3: This year is more like March sanity, okay, kind of chalk Okay, pretty much. March nil is stacking nil, stacking the best teams and crushing the smaller schools.
Speaker 2: As long as it's hyphenated, I'm good with that. We always love the hyphenated schools.
Speaker 5: March pretty much what we expected.
Speaker 6: Yeah, doesn't have the doesn't quite ring this out way, but yeah, yeah, there's got to be a better word though, because it's not really as mad as you'd hope this year.
Speaker 2: But you have to have a literation. It feels like March. Yes, March Chalky. That's not a literation, but.
Speaker 7: The judges from March and Chucky, it seems.
Speaker 2: March shocky, March shocking. I'm going to give you a bloop for trying that hard this early. March CHOCKI, yeah, Mark chucky. It's actually one word. It's the ch and March turns into the ch of hockey. Mar MARCHOCKI Mark Chucky.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're gonna put that one on there.
Speaker 2: Toddler, Yeah, the judges will accept that. March Mark CHOCKI, March hockey. Yeah. I don't want to say it's been boring, and it's been a little more predictable then I would like. And you know, you had the Maryland win that was exciting, but you haven't had buzzer beaters for the most part. You know, a lot of blowouts. But I don't know if this is the trend, you know, because we always want to be ahead of things. We want to know what the trend is going to be the next couple of years. Connecticut lost, and uh boy, they're going to look at that game film and go, wow, did we have wide open looks there? Danny Hurley, the head coach at Connecticut, getting emotional talking about his seniors.
Speaker 8: You know, I was in a coach That's why I was on the hot seat going into twenty three. You got to ask Dave Bennett. But until these men, you know, until Alex Carraban put on the uniform in the asidence, the players change your life when you and you have such special people.
Speaker 2: He's such a polarizing guy. But you know, and I was watching with other people and they weren't Connecticut fans, they weren't from Connecticut, but they thought that he was my coach. Because I live in Connecticut. I go I didn't go to Connecticut. I know Danny, but he's not my coach. But do you want somebody who is that passionate, who cares that that is a past, annoying all of those things, but great at what I mean, he cares. You may not like the antics on the floor, and at times I feel embarrassed for him. He can't change and it's not like it happened when he got to Connecticut. He was like this when he was at Rhode Island or Wagner or when he played. This is who he is. And if you think he's animated, you should have seen his dad coach high school because his dad was worse. But he does care. He's passionate, and he's going to reload. They got, you know, three of the top one hundred players. He's recruiting some freshmen coming in. He's going to have transfer portal kids as well. But I like the passion that he has. I don't like when he engages with the fans. You know, got fiery. You know during the loss, you know you're calling out a foul. Was an egregious call. It felt like he was trying to fire his team up. I don't know, it just kind of a strange eruption from him. But Connecticut, they're going to look at that and say, we had our chances, a lot of wide open looks. I was accused of East Coast bias as I was heaping praise on Rick Pattino all last week. He's still one of the greatest coaches of all time. He is. They just didn't play well and give Arkansas credit there. I mean, we love to give blame. Arkansas played well and they took it to Saint John's. Here's Rick Pattino on why his best player, r J Lewis was benched late in the game. Here's the reporter's question.
Speaker 7: You had RJ on the bench, you know, for a pretty long stretch at the end. Was that just because he just wasn't making him or was there something more to it?
Speaker 9: Played thirty minutes, It's a long time, so he was tired. No, played thirty minutes, and I went with other people. You already know the answers, Roger, you're asking leading questions. You already know it, So don't ask questions. You already know why he didn't play.
Speaker 5: Was there one play with RJ that made you sit him the last five minutes?
Speaker 9: You know he was three for seventeen. You know he was oh for three, So you're answering your own. I'm not gonna knock one of my players.
Speaker 2: Okay, he makes it worse by the non answer. In my opinion, Rick Betino needs to say he was struggling. I sat him down. Now me, if I'm the coach, He's still the best player on your team. He's the biggiest player of the year. I still want him out there. Is he one dimensional at just scoring? I want him out there. This game is going to come down to the wire. I want him out there. Maybe I tell him, let's try to take it to the hoop. Let's try to get some free throws here. He's still your best player. And that reporter had every right to because I'm watching the game. I don't know if this kid is hurt. I've watched him play a couple of games this year, got to see highlights with him. He gets buckets. But I would have said to him, let's get some thing inside. Let's try to get a cheap bucket maybe and one go to the lawne. You know that's what you want with the score. It takes one basket, maybe two, and all of a sudden you kick start him. But that reporter had every right to ask that question. Look, Rick was a little frosty. He just lost to you know, Cali Perry, who he doesn't like. But they thought they had a Final four team there. They you know, weren't good enough to get by Arkansas. Arkansas deserves the credit. But Tino is still a spectacular coach.
Speaker 8: He is.
Speaker 2: He's a one of the top five college basketball coaches probably of all time. Okay, got his lunch handed to him.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, resurrecting Saint John's not an easy thing to do.
Speaker 2: No, but he did it.
Speaker 5: It's not easy to get kids to go play there.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he did it. Did a great job. But this happens. There's only one team who's going to win. That's it. So John Cali Perry could get bounced. Was it great year? They started out zho to five. Now they're the sweet sixteen. John will join us. Coming up the final hour of the program, Jay Billis will recap the tournament. Also, we'll talk about Transfer Portal day. You know, you can tell the analysts do not like talking about the transfer portal. They do not, but it's real. It's right there in front of us. It's happening right in front of us. It happened right in front of us during Bowl season. Kids sitting out because they're transferring, and all the whispers, and this is when somebody's going to get to somebody. Parents are at these games. Somebody's going to talk to somebody about their kid, and you're going to have, you know, players coming and going. That's why when Danny Hurley sat down for sixty minutes and John Wertheim said, how many players do you think are already talking about the transfer portal? And he says, I think fifty percent. Well, John should have followed up and said, how many are you going to bring in? It evens out he's probably got fifty percent of his roster coming in from the transfer portal. Hey, everybody's a thief in this stop.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, I saw a stat of the eighty starters in the Sweet sixteen, nearly half came from Nonpower five schools.
Speaker 2: At one point, Well, Florida's best player Clayton was at Iona. Now he's going to be a lottery pick. I mean it's the kid who was Oakland's best player Townsend, he's at Arizona. Get this is unfortunately, for us, because we grew up in an era where you stayed where maybe it was three years, maybe it was four years. Now, what's wrong with you if you leave after you know, don't leave after your freshman or sophomore year. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get the down part of it to some degree. For smaller schools, however, I kind of feel like you have to support kids being able to do that. If you're playing at a smaller school and you play really well and all of a sudden somebody's like, here's two hundred and fifty K to come play at this big school.
Speaker 5: You get to play another year.
Speaker 3: You maybe play yourself in from being that's the end of your career to maybe now I'm going to the NBA based off this one year that I have at this bigger program and I get a little bit of money in my pocket.
Speaker 2: I support that all day, all day. This could have been mitigated a long time ago. It really could have. It's just nobody believed it was going to happen, and then it happened, and then all of a sudden, the sky is falling. I mean it is. It's just changing athletics. College athletics is changing right in front of us. We'll talk a little bit more about this with Billis. We'll settle on our poll question. Your phone call is always welcome every Monday, best and worst of the weekend. We'll come back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll settle on our poll question here eight seven to seven three DP show. Dan Wolkin, who's been a guest on this show, columnist for USA Today. The column the headline, Dan Hurley must change. There's no better time with Yukon out of March madness spotlight now. I don't think he can change. Why should he change? This is who he is. But Dan Walkin says, if Hurley can conquer all of that, he can find the right balance between being himself and steering clear of these unflattering moments that make him look like a maniac. Now that Yukon's championship run is over, there's never been a better time to start. I don't think he can change. This is who he is, and it's not like people said, all you know, Bob Knight at Indiana, you had people look the other way. I mean Bob Knight was different than Danny Hurley is. I mean Bob Knight was a bully to his players. I think by all accounts, Dan Hurley has been a pretty good coach for his players. Does he get caught up in the emotion of game. Absolutely, and Bob Knight did. The refs, you know they're out to get us. Hey, I'm I'm the face of college basketball. You know I understand all of this. Dan Hurley's not going away. The only you go away when you don't win, and he will continue to win. He does have the formula, you know. John Caliperi has finally admitted he took too many freshmen at Kentucky. I said it, it felt like every single year you need to have juniors and seniors. You can get a good player from a smaller school, maybe it's a you know, mid major, but to get that to blend in with the freshman because freshmen will act like freshman this time of the year sometimes. And now cali Perry said, Hey, I'm still going to go after some freshmen, but I'm going to sprinkle in some sophomores. And juniors, but he needed to do that. John was great at one thing, but it hurt the end result. It the finished product, and that was you win one title. And I know he'll come on today and he'll tell me how many billions of dollars his players in the NBA have made, which to me, if I'm a Kentucky alum, I'm like, I don't care. Hey, I'm really proud that Devin Booker's making forty five million dollars. What does that mean for my program? What's that mean for Kentucky? And that's what I thought John always missed, you know, he lost sight of you got to win games. Yes, you're developing the players. Those players are going to make that money if there are at other programs. Are you trying to tell me that some of these guys who went to the NBA, like Anthony Davis wouldn't have benefited or you know, made all this money if he played for Creighton, I'm guessing probably still would have been formidable. But John, I don't think developed those players to the point where you got six months to be able to do that, And maybe six months is an exaggeration. You need to have players who have played you need to have players that will transfer in and help you. And that's what Dan Hurley has done. He found a blueprint. You're still going to get a couple of top recruits, but you're going to get those guys who can come in as you know, a fifth year senior. Maybe you're going to get a couple of upper classmen. Those are the guys who help you this time of the year. They don't get intimidated. They've been in these situations. And now you have Arkansas, which he's got a roster that's not a great roster, but it's a roster that may fit what they need to do moving forward. Now he might go after more freshmen probably, so you know, I think he loves the chase. I think he loves to be able to say, but Kentucky's different than Arkansas. Unless you're paying, Kentucky can pay. But he would get everybody that he wanted. It felt like now at Arkansas you're not going to But I think this can make him actually a better coach because he has to be a better coach. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 13: It's also a little ironic. I was watching Kentucky yesterday and I didn't watch a lot of Kentucky basketball this year, and they looked awesome. And you know what else, they look like grown men. And so I looked at their roster.
Speaker 2: They have six.
Speaker 13: Guys whoever ten or more points per game, five seniors, one junior. There's not a person in their top six that's under twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that moment that went viral when Danny Hurley is walking to the locker room and he sees the Baylor players, you know, Baylor's playing Duke the game after THEIRS, and he goes, I hope the refs don't bleep you like they bleep? Does I hope they don't do that to you Baylor?
Speaker 13: And bleep isn't for help?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes see.
Speaker 3: You know it makes the statement weird, isn't that he said it to me Necessarily? It's that no one can really identify the call that he's upset about. I know, like there wasn't an obvious You know, if somebody say, I don't know it took three steps and hit a game winner and nobody called it, maybe I would be upset about that. I'd be like, Wow, they really screwed us. But there really isn't that. There's kind of like, a, I don't know, Alex Caravan maybe was fouled some point in the second half that could have been called, but wasn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't really know what the one is that he's like, that's the call that really screwed us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what surprised me. I'm like, I don't know what he's angry about. It felt like he was trying to fire his team up. I guess, I don't know. And look, coaches can there can be a smaller incident, but you erupt because of something that happened prior to that. It's not always that boy you went off after that. There's it's like if you have an argument with your wife, it could be over something silly, but there's other things that led up to that that you did, you know, get fiery and then it's something silly. Yeah, poem.
Speaker 13: I think Danny Hurley is not used to losing in this stage after the past couple of years, and it can't be him and it can't be as players, So on the way out, it's much easier to blame the refs in that moment of anger.
Speaker 2: Now he's going to look at that game film and go we had our chances. This wasn't about the officials. This was about you guys. Played played well, as he said, played with honor, but you missed your shots. You had your chance to take down Florida, had your chances. All Right, we'll get to phone calls coming up. The play at the end of the Maryland game. Was it a travel? And what you have called it a travel? Derek Queen hits the game winner against Colorado State. I didn't think it was travel in today's basketball world, and if you watch college I mean, they're doing the same things that the NBA does, the way they carry the ball. I mean, it's it's basically the same kind of game what I've called it in that moment. Now, I wouldn't have I mean, that's one of the buzzer beaters that we've had. And you know, Queen had seventeen points. You know, he's a really good player. He's going to be playing in the NBA next year. He got his he got to the hoop, you know, they forced him to go left, and he went left and then you know, got the jumper, banked it in. But I wouldn't have called it a travel.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marph with the naked eye looking at it live, it didn't look like a travel until you saw the replay, you know, And I was like, ooh, that looks like three steps. I know people are gonna say, up gather. I said, he gathered that first step. I know two more steps.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't like how we interpret travel or giving you the gather step. I didn't have a gather step, Like, what is that? And all of a sudden you get a gather. So I go, yeah, that that's a legitimate call. It's not a travel. Would it had been a travel ten years ago? Probably? So, yes, Pauline, I think it was a.
Speaker 13: Clear travel by rule. But with ten seconds left, I always think the refs take a little off the gas with calling if he plays like that, And so if they're gonna lean, they're gonna lean towards letting them play, not saying it's right or wrong. But I think that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was okay with it. I mean, I've seen worse. Let's put it that way. He has time, and slow.
Speaker 14: Motion obviously always makes things in general sports look more egregious. And Gene's territora joined the guys in the studio and was talking about what if you may not have had full control on one of the steps, so you got to take one of those steps away if he didn't have complete control in his hand. He was trying to explain why it wasn't like three full steps or why you can wink at that in that situation.
Speaker 2: It's because we've we've expanded. I don't you know, there's more leniency. It feels like that they let you get away with more things. Yes, I don't know if it's as much leniency. I think that's part of it.
Speaker 3: But I think that people, especially say like James Harden, he's perfected the steps to the point that it looks illegal, but it's not. I think what happened with Maryland was a clear travel. But I think that there's other instances where it's like, wait, that dude just took like five steps, and it's like, no, actually he really just took the ones that he's allowed. It just looks like it because they're actually that skilled and that talented that they're able to do that.
Speaker 2: I'll ask Billis about it what he thought. But I guess in today's basketball world, it wasn't a travel it. You know, ten years ago it would be yes, see, that's why, and those moments too. I love what Gene Sterotor does.
Speaker 3: I think he's great at it because I know he's not a basketball guy out of college basketball guy's got anything basketball guy really, But he speaks referee and all he's doing is translating for you. This is what the rule book says, and then I can translate how to speak referee to everybody else.
Speaker 5: Well, here's what and you're like, wow, that's how these dudes look at this. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: You need like an interpreter in between the referee and the fan to explain, here's the thought process, here's what the rule says, and here's why what they called is correct.
Speaker 2: Aaron in Orange County, Hey Aaron, what's on your mind today? All right? Thank you? Erin Paul and Iowa, Hi, Paul, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Hey Dan?
Speaker 15: Longtime no talk.
Speaker 4: Well after Darren Devrez, native Iowan did not see the University of Iowa as attractive enough, The University of Iowa Hawkeys are hiring Ben McCollum after one year at Drake to be their next head coach. Now, my question is Drake prioritizes basketball. It's their only thing on the national stage. Really at Iowa, not only is football bigger, but you get out drawn in the same arena by wrestling and women's basketball, who also has a higher nil Would you leave Drake for Iowa?
Speaker 2: Can what he's doing at Drake be sustainable? Does he love being there? Look, I'm a loyalist, like I believe in that that you know, I stayed way too long at ESPN. I don't begrudge anybody if they want to go someplace better their lives, and I don't know, you know the difference in money you're coaching in the Big ten. Drake, he got players, you know that were Division two players. It's tough to be able to do that continue to do that. But I don't know if it's a better move for him. I'm guessing it is, but it was only one year. I get disappointed with that because if I'm coming to your school to play for you and then all of a sudden you're gone. I mean, players do go to school to play for coaches, They go to play for the style that they play. And this is where I'm glad that players, you know, they they can decide if they want to go as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I think the problem before that was players were trapped in the school. Yeah, and now they're not, right, so now they can move, So to me, that eases that problem a little bit of like I was going here to play for this coach, and now he split, You're not trapped into staying there anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it used to be, Yeah, just sit out a year. Imagine if I said to a coach, you can transfer to Iowa, you have to sit out a year. But that's what they did to kids because they didn't want, you know, total anarchy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think, too, is that the days of it, well that's a football school, so they don't care about basketball is over. SEC has seven teams left in the sweet sixth, and six of them are football schools.
Speaker 2: Jay and Delaware. Hey Jay, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Hey DP, good morning, Good morning. One best and two worse for the weekend, my last being from Maryland. Of course, Maryland having that last second win and first worse un C busting my bracket. For some reason. With them making it in, I had this feeling that they're going to go to like at least the Elite eight, and then that's Saint John's and Arkansas game officiating. To me, I feel like just TICKI tack fouls and absolutely worse three pointings, three point shooting I've seen ever in the tournament.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, you can shoot yourself into a game and out of the game. And these players in college aren't good enough, not consistent enough, like you have in the NBA. Therefore you can be blowing people out. Everything's great shooting threes. Now all of a sudden, you're not hitting threes. You're oneing to Gene Sterator was a college basketball official, now, of course is the CBS Sports rules analyst, but known for being an NFL official. He worked college basketball from nineteen ninety seven to twenty eighteen. He was in the Big Ten, the Atlantic Ten, the Big East, so he knows college basketball and now working as a rules analyst for CBS.
Speaker 5: That's my bad.
Speaker 3: I associate him with football for some reason. But yeah, clearly he's Yeah, he's qualified to do that. Brady in Indiana, Hi, Brady.
Speaker 16: A dan six foot to twenty five and salty got a question for you. You talk about all these mid major kids playing in the sweet sixteen, At what point do these power coaches start making arrangements like they used to do with Juko and say, I'll send you a kid for a year and then you can give him back to me and we make these backdoor deal.
Speaker 2: I don't rule out anything, Brady, I don't, but who knows if that coach is going to be at that school when you send that kid back. Hey, we're gonna give you a We're gonna loan you this guy for one year. These guys are trying to advance from being a mid major head coach. Noah in New York, Hi, Noah, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: ADP?
Speaker 2: Real quick?
Speaker 17: I just wanted to thank Dylan and Marvin kindly. The second I heard Dylan betting against the u of A against Akron, I knew we were through the first round. And then Marvin for declining my part of the faith bet for his very own two.
Speaker 2: Time champion Yukon, because once they.
Speaker 17: Went down, I knew that bad karma had sweet Arizona in the sweet sixteen.
Speaker 2: All right, well, congratulations Noah. I am hearing from some Arizona fans They're like, what do you think of the Wildcats now? Because hey, as a four seed, good as a one seed? Not good? That's always been the problem. I'll be like Arizona. You know, this is the year. This is the year. And then all of a sudden they get bounced ling And I said, I will not be fool. If Arizona was the number one seed, I would not have bought into them. But it's a four seed, and look they advanced. Good for them. It's about time.
Speaker 13: Yes, Paul, it's like you're buying a stock a little low. Arizona is a four seed. That's attractive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a break. We'll settle on our pole question. It's a two part pole question. Was it a travel? Would you have called a travel? On that final play in the Maryland Whim eight seven seven to three DP Show Play the Day Up Next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app.
Speaker 15: Oh My God.
Speaker 2: Of the Day play.
Speaker 13: On the day. Check this out gets it up Top two Queen Dribbling up Fix Step Talba Wayne Runner for the.
Speaker 1: Win Bak.
Speaker 2: Maryland is Won, Maryland is Going This week sixteen courtesy of Westwood One Radio, Queen led Maryland with seventeen points all five starters. The Crab five scored in double figures. They accounted for seventy of maryland seventy two points. I had mentioned this prior to the start of the tournament. They have as good as starting five as anybody except for maybe Duke in Florida. The problem is they have no depth. They scored seventy of the seventy two points the starting five. That's your play of the day. Tire rack dot com official tire expert of the DP show. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan try the tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Continental Tires, special offers, free roade, hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirerac dot com The way tire buying should be. We'll get to more phone calls.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: Best and worst of the weekend, which you saw that you liked you didn't like. Here's Maryland's head coach Kevin Willard talking about the final play Maryland and Colorado State.
Speaker 7: I asked the guys, I said, who wants the ball?
Speaker 18: Because sometimes you could draw something up for a guy that maybe doesn't want the basketball, and he's his exact words, I want the MF ball and so once he said that it was a pretty simple decision and everyone.
Speaker 7: I could see everyone's body language.
Speaker 18: It's kind of perk up a little bit because he was so confident in that fact he wanted the basketball.
Speaker 7: So it's just a simple Zipper, give him the basketball and let him.
Speaker 2: Go to work. Who in their right mind would say to their coach in that moment, I don't want the MF and ball, Like, I can't imagine that. As a coach, you don't have to ask. I mean, this isn't Hoosiers with Jimmy Chitwood. Like, coach, I'll make it like this isn't. I'm like, that's my best player. He's going to be a lottery pick. You get the ball, you guys clear out and let him go. That's it. But I can't imagine you're going to have, you know, the big man going I don't want that ball. I'd be like, once you sit next to me, then I can't imagine you're taking inventory in a situation like that, who wants the ball? I would everybody should have said, I do I want it? Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. We'll get to your phone calls. I mentioned John Caliperry would join us. Bill Simmons from The Ringer Jay Billis will join us. Coming up next hour. A little bit of football news over the weekend. Jamis Winston in New York with the Giants. I still think that they're probably going to draft Chador Sanders. You got to have somebody, and it's just what's strange is you want the veteran to help the rookie. I don't know if I want Shador Sanders learning from Jamis Winston. He's a character, but I don't know. Aaron Rodgers met with the Steelers on Friday, eight hours he met with them, guessing there's probably a physical in there. But maybe Aaron Rodgers is gonna play football. I know that, you know. And we had Diana Russini on, who is an NFL insider, and I felt bad because at the very end, I said, hey, let's just guess where Aaron Rodgers is going to go. I just guess, not a report, kept saying, not a report, just a guess. Just well, some members of the media, some outlets, treated as if she was reporting that, which was unfair to her and wrong by these websites. She was guessing. She even said I'm guessing. And I felt bad because you know, people are piling on her, and all she did was guess that Aaron Rodgers was going to end up in Minnesota. That was it. And we even kind of went above and beyond to say this is just a guess. It's a guess. But people looking at that, listening to that, and then it's they want this to happen. They want to have something. They're dying to talk football. Now. Now a lot of these plays, they don't want to be talking college basketball. They want to talk football. Give me something to talk football. And they got it with Aaron Rodgers. Now you have it with Aaron Rodgers with the Steelers. Jameis Winston to the Giants. But I still think they're going to take Shador Sanders, Tim and Vermont. Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 19: Hi?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 19: How you doing.
Speaker 15: I've never called a sports show.
Speaker 20: I'm a casual sports fan, but oh my gosh, did you guys miss the play of the day.
Speaker 19: The play of the day was Second.
Speaker 20: Lieutenant Wyatt Henderson of the Oklahoma State Cowboys beating Olympic gold medalists and two time NCAA Division One National champions and Gable steveson it was unreal.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm aware of the story. Paulie is actually going to do a look in a little bit later on in the show. But yeah, that was a huge upset and men's wrestling. I think President Trump was there to witness that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Wyatt Henderson is Oklahoma State and it was He basically hit a three pointer to end the match to win it. That's one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think Gable had lost. He won a gold medal at the Olympics. Plus his name is Gable after Dan Gable. Yes, yes, you're destined. Yeah. So if you're watching on Peacock. By the way, our streaming partner, thank you for downloading the app, Tim make sure you do that will show you that wrestling moment there. Alec in Oregon, Hi, Alec, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: All right?
Speaker 19: First time long time by one six three swimming down for competition. Nice fan for twenty something years, used to listen to on My Walkman scrubbing houseboats and Jansen Beach. What are the odds the first time I call in someone takes my best and worst of the weekend. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go three worst, actually worst, I got my best and worst stolen, second worst, the two guys that Gable beat our friends of mine that I trained with a little bit back in Minnesota. And my extra most worst is my golfer women's hockey team taking a beaten from Wisconsin sixty two in the Frozen four. And Dan, I'll leave you with this. I got two sons, Sterling and that Sterling's two years old, and every day when we wake up eat our breakfast, he wants to watch the Dan Patrick show. So thanks for all the mins. And the guys are the best. So shout out to Polly.
Speaker 2: Met you in Minneapolis, all right, thank you, Alec. All right, so you had some bad you know, had some negatives there, but then a positive as two year old watching the show. I think he's said his name was Sterling was the other one Atlas. Wow, I met somebody whose son is named Atticus. I met somebody who has a child named Poseidon. I met somebody who has a son named Attila. Yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 14: Is that because the pregnancy was an adventure, they would go Poseidon.
Speaker 7: That's an interesting name to go with.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 13: Yes is there another hit Attila that you'd name your kid after that. There was more of a positive role model because the Hun guy seemed like a bad dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I've read?
Speaker 3: Okay, one hour in the books, my son Genghis and.
Speaker 2: His brother con one hour in the books. Two more ago, Jay Billis from the mother Ship, will stop by. More of your phone calls as well. Dan Patrick's show