Speaker 1: Get your hands together and we're gonna start to party and start.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to party.
Speaker 1: The Elvis DA Ran after party.
Speaker 3: Hosts of the podcast give It a Chance, Casey Jose and Kevin Debien a here, hey guys, this is why we love your podcast. It's about music, and a lot of the music it's about it's like music we detest.
Speaker 2: And so whose idea was? It reminded us from last time you were here, where did you come from? And why are you doing this?
Speaker 4: It was my idea, and I wanted to put some positive into the world. So I would take these songs that people you know, hate on paper and then give it a chance.
Speaker 5: Right, we need some.
Speaker 4: Positivity, We need to to have an open mind in this world. So we're like, let's listen to some of these songs and then give it a chance.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think also part of it that balances it is that they're like hugely successful songs, yeah that are just kind of also I don't know, cheesy or eaten to death or whatever, and so we're trying to find like another thing in them.
Speaker 4: And it happens like recently I put on Achy Breaky Heart, which is like we're not like country guys, but we like the roots of country and this is like very pop country in like early nineties, and I thought I was gonna hate it, and we ended up being like finding so much positive in it, and it's really it's really fun.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, such as life. You know, you can find a painting, you can find a play or a TV show that you just don't get. Example, but if you like sit with it for a second and like think it through, Like where were they coming from when they've created this art? Okay, it has meaning, it has life now, so this is what you're doing. I think last of you guys are here. We use a great example because it's a big hated song on our show Barbie Girl.
Speaker 5: That's the best song ever. Yeah, I see it.
Speaker 6: Subjective difference of opinions ever.
Speaker 4: Well, something we do like to do is we call it an anti chancy, and that means like we allow ourselves to talk a little smack about it, find things we don't like about it. And so in that genre, I don't know what it was, it was all these like Eastern European guys making it and they'd put themselves on the tracks.
Speaker 5: So instead of just having like a beautiful singer.
Speaker 4: They'd also be like a little Barbie.
Speaker 5: It's like they talk talk talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like they all had that one guy that was like low voice producer that was like, I'm also going to sing on the They have to justify their.
Speaker 2: Existence and agociate that totally.
Speaker 3: See, you find the art form is truly truly at an A plus at that point.
Speaker 7: I love when creators have to insert themselves into the project. I think it's so funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mustard on a beat. Yeah, I actually girl like.
Speaker 4: I mean that era was probably the original, like producer tag like the first people to do that.
Speaker 2: So this is what the podcast is all about.
Speaker 3: Again, Casey Jose and Kevin Devine give it a chance second season. Boom, it's now time for second season. You lasted to an entire first serial.
Speaker 4: We just kept going to like what number should we like kind of stop at and we just were having so much fun making these episodes that we were like, all right, let's let's stop here and then do a new season and think about what kind of songs we want. And we have some really great songs coming up for season two. I Mentionednikey Breaky Heart. Yeah, we've got a lot and we like to do different genres. So we'll do some dance or pop, we'll do some metal, we'll do some country.
Speaker 2: O this thing that's right, Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah. I think it was Gooba Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, two White Boys not from the Hood.
Speaker 5: No has its.
Speaker 2: Street crad Okay, so so uh okay Tosh six go okay.
Speaker 4: So what I liked about that chorus and it's sometimes when things are so simple, it's it's art again. And so he has that line that's are you dumb? Stupid or dumb? And I just think that's so effective, and I just think, like that's catchy, Like it's so simple, and it's like it makes me laugh, and I think he knows what he's doing. And so that self awareness or that awareness is something that I give points to.
Speaker 5: I give that a chance totally.
Speaker 6: And he's also on a continuum. It's punk rock. It's like so in your face, and that's like an evolutionary thing. Every generation needs its own iteration of that. And this is like colorful, bracing and like I'm a forty five year old dude from Bayridge and Staten Island, as you said, I'm not necessarily supposed to like get that right away. But I get where it comes from, and I think, you know, if I was a kid, i'd be like, oh my god, this is intense, and well, maybe it's best you're not from there.
Speaker 2: That's also true, you're from a different from a different filter.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think about my dad and how like any like any rap I would put on, whether it be like will Smith as like tame as Possible or or a hotel, I don't know, but he would go, oh, this is rap crap right Like. I was always like this. So I was like, Dad, give it a chance. And so I'm trying to be a dad that gives it a chance.
Speaker 6: Is your dad gonna come on the pod with us?
Speaker 4: He will, Yeah, he'll, he'll, he'll, he'll drop some beats. Actually, let me make a song for it.
Speaker 6: We'll give him a chance.
Speaker 2: So this is what the podcast is all about.
Speaker 3: It's taking these songs that probably ignored by many because they can't stand them, and talk about them. I mean, okay, give me an example of what you would want on the podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gone, okay.
Speaker 7: So Creed in general makes me insane, and Creed has had a comeback. Yeah, talk to me about Higher, because that song used to make me want to do bad things.
Speaker 6: Sure, it still does that.
Speaker 5: We did, we did hold me Now.
Speaker 4: It's funny though, when you listen to it with like open years, because there's this thing.
Speaker 6: That's there.
Speaker 4: It is there, it is, And so we listen and you find like a weird chord where you're like, wow, that's like a jazzy chord in Creed. And so it's funny when you when you when you come at it something with open eyes and ears that you find things you like and that song is really catching higher.
Speaker 6: No, it's not.
Speaker 5: It's amazing that the like gen Z is like find refinding Creed. Right.
Speaker 2: I like the sound of Creed.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, wow, real.
Speaker 4: Well, I like going into lyrics, right, And so we do a lot of talk about O Town Liquid dreams.
Speaker 5: Okay, we've never done that. You know you want to drop a beat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, O Town Liquid dreams because I think you know what those liquid dreams are all about.
Speaker 2: I never put two and two together.
Speaker 5: I know that's the thing. It's it's it's really.
Speaker 4: Again because yeah, because it's I dream about a girl that's a mix of you know, Destiny's Child, just a little bit Madonna's wild style, with Janet Jackson's or something like that, right, and it's and he will they are describing like the perfect woman and by using all these contemporaries at the time and then dreaming about the way they look liquid but.
Speaker 6: That that's kind of also. I mean, listen, we've talked about this a lot on the show too. Something you hear that makes you think of the better version of the thing you're listening to that comes up a lot. Do you remember Salt and Pepper? There was in What a Man they like listed all the like my man's smooth like Barry and his voice, got bass, a body like Arnold with a Denzel face anyway, and they got they build their man for liquid dreams for them.
Speaker 2: Well go so back to liquid dreams.
Speaker 3: They're they're fantasizing, These boys are fantasizing about these women who are much much older and now Stacy, they're much much older. I mean, it's it's it's like drying up dreams. This like dusty dust dream rusty, crusty.
Speaker 2: Even this is one that that boggled my mind for years.
Speaker 6: How was Into the Night by Benny mardonez ever a smash hit?
Speaker 3: Have you guys covered this yet not yet, she's just sixteen years old.
Speaker 2: Were alone. They said, he's absolute in the video.
Speaker 6: He's literally with an underage girl, a six year old girl.
Speaker 2: We got it. We got it. So you could go on and on and you will. We you talked about Benny Mardona's into the definitely, but.
Speaker 6: We have talked about this subject before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cold outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a lot of predators in music.
Speaker 5: Well it started with you. She was just seventeen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it was that that era was always kind of looking towards like younger, younger.
Speaker 6: And not just that like you know, I feel like Winger. They had a song called seventeen that was like a huge top twenty sing We all forgot about Winger go back to.
Speaker 7: You seventeen when they wrote it.
Speaker 6: No, they were like twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: Do you guys ever do songs that don't have lyrics like that dumb sandstorm stupid song.
Speaker 2: Oh drude, yes, just crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, we did a Beatles song that was like Revolution number nine, which was like we were taking the Beatles on and we were trying this like experimental one and putting ourselves in that mindset.
Speaker 5: But it's not a song that you want to just throw on.
Speaker 6: No, no, no no. I mean it's an interesting experiment, but it's nine minutes of tape loops or whatever. But Animal Collective we did too, which has like sort of nonsense lyrics and spaces.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we wanted to do one of these like art like art forward bands that you know. To be honest, I really like that band and they're like kind of more under the radar. We don't want to just you know.
Speaker 6: Like Rico Suave, and we don't want to just do hits.
Speaker 4: We want to do songs that, like, you know, I might have some niche following that we want to you know, give some light to but also tear down a little for you.
Speaker 3: I got one for you, and I know that this one over here. Gandhi is a big fan this one. Creed stars are blind by Paris Hilton in the new season of their podcast Give It a Chance. I know it's featured.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had wanted to do that one for a while, and the problem was with that one for me was I also like it. So sometimes it's like I want to just put on the chopping block something that I think maybe my taste you know, might not be that great, So let me just try this and see what Kevin thinks. Since I know the world, it's like sometimes we'll hate on that song and you like it, Kevin or.
Speaker 6: Not a positive. I felt like more positive than negative on it. There was more in it than I thought there was going to be. I'll say that I love it was not like a contemptible. It wasn't like a song you're like, oh I hate this. It was like, well, except for you.
Speaker 4: The only reason somebody might hate it is because they found out Paris Hilton.
Speaker 6: Well that's we talked a lot about that, of course, like how that can obscure being able to hear the thing, the associations with the person. You know, it's a song totally or even further back it's high as high?
Speaker 7: Or have you guys thought about doing a Christmas version of this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? We did a Christmas song? We did?
Speaker 6: Didn't we do a Christmas song? Here? Did we did?
Speaker 4: We did your like that song that you that like it discussed the viral video song almost thing that you did Christmas?
Speaker 2: Shoot, we don't agree. That's just the worst song ever.
Speaker 5: We did do a Christmas song?
Speaker 6: Do they know it's Christmas time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did about that one, okay, because.
Speaker 2: When that came out they meant, well, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: We did talk about that. We did talk about that.
Speaker 5: And sometimes it's yucky, right, like it has.
Speaker 6: Aged into kind of like you know White Savior. Yeah yeah, yeah, like white rock Star person that's like we know what to do with these.
Speaker 5: I think want to save the world exactly.
Speaker 6: It's a freaking child.
Speaker 2: It's Russell brand I think.
Speaker 4: I think I'll get all my mates and will save the world with us. One song, right, and that what was the one that came before it?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: We are the world?
Speaker 5: We are the world? And then remember I.
Speaker 4: Remember the one that like recently, like was it in COVID where like all those celebrities, you.
Speaker 6: Know that what I will give us credit as a species for some evolution that got like savage di minuty.
Speaker 3: They were like, yeah, I'm something serious. But back to uh, do the much Christmas? The entrants know they don't know what Christmas and a lot of these countries they don't really know.
Speaker 5: I don't think they care.
Speaker 2: They don't care.
Speaker 6: Do they care it's Christmas? Christmas?
Speaker 5: Care?
Speaker 6: We did like we did, like Phil Collins drums on the song.
Speaker 5: Yea, we found some positive Yeah, yeah, turn around.
Speaker 6: At one point we were like that was cool.
Speaker 3: So these are the conversations you have with your friends, especially maybe after hitting an edible sitting around just like just like Casey and Kevin, do give it a chance. It is second season out right, now is the whole season out?
Speaker 4: No, we're not dropping, We're not dropping at all. We're doing one at a time. We're doing Yeah, maybe we'll do the stranger things. We'll do four at a time and make you.
Speaker 5: Wait for more and then four now, yeah, we we have.
Speaker 4: We were the holidays, get so busy, we're gonna drop a few episodes, take a small little break, and then drop some more.
Speaker 5: So maybe we are doing that.
Speaker 2: You're still having fun doing it obviously you're yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was nervous. I was like, are we gonna run out?
Speaker 4: And I just keep finding not only songs, but just different ways to even think about these songs. And you know, with the pair Hilton, when we were kind of talking about her career and the hate that someone like a celebrity would get and you know, born into this like rich family, and so it's fun to talk about just the icon themselves and.
Speaker 6: The stuff around the song sometimes is as interesting as the song itself, either positive ort negative. You know, there's lots of there's just.
Speaker 2: Two guys sitting on talking you actually investigate you actually, well, he's the research.
Speaker 4: But you know that is a compliment that I've been given from a friend who was like, I really like that. Your podcast isn't just like two guys just talking. It's it's got a thesis and it's got a statement. And you follow this threat and of course we go on tangents. We're gonna say, we're gonna I always I when I described it originally to Kevin at what I want to do, you know, I call it like a trampoline where it's like we could always land back on the trampoline, which is the show, and we could jump up and talk about other things like within the world of Limp Biscuit and like you know, new metal, but then come.
Speaker 5: Back down to the song and it's it's it's fun totally.
Speaker 6: And this might sound cheesy, but in truth, after we every episode, one of us text the other and so fun like.
Speaker 1: It's still it's still you guys, do you still like each other?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, actually I love doing it. Because I tell you, podcasts are not lucrative at all. So they show up and they show up and they put them together.
Speaker 7: In all of this, have you guys found a song that you gave a chance and we're like, you know what, that was not worth giving a chance?
Speaker 6: Actually, oh, for sure, it's always worth giving it the chance. But there's definitely ones that you're like, oh no, this is just out and out dog, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I got to think of which ones, because it's often that I actually leave thinking, oh that was I like that.
Speaker 5: That was a little bit better than I thought.
Speaker 4: But I think you know, things like Metallica sane Anger Oh yeah right, which is like.
Speaker 5: I'm madly in anger with you, sing that one more time, I'm madly in anger with you, Like in love. That's a Metallica song. I was like, you know that's deep.
Speaker 6: Is that also where he says that Reabe that's another one on that record? I can't remember now. My lifestyle informs my death style. This lyricist awesome more music like that top Headfield.
Speaker 5: It is you have a fight with Alex I want you to.
Speaker 3: Say maybe yeah, yeah, yeah, he would understand he's from Staten Island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, give it a chance.
Speaker 3: Host of the podcast Casey jose and Kevin Devine, thank you for coming in and thanks for season two.
Speaker 2: Yeo, thank you, thank you for the opportunity, Yes.
Speaker 5: For having us.
Speaker 6: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: The Elvis Duran after Party