Speaker 1: Fumes Demali Paris. Oh oh, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, oh man.
Speaker 3: Oh this one.
Speaker 1: Good morning, swimmer World, and welcome to the No Domes podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Tuesday, October twenty fifth, twenty twenty two. I'm Jay Skeets right here in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always tas.
Speaker 3: Mellie podcast listeners, this is for you.
Speaker 1: Next to him, it's the Beard one a tap Sha hot boy, Trey Kirby, Hey, hey yo, and over Yonder making the magic happen. Super producer JD.
Speaker 3: Hello, and he's got to be pissed after I just made them mics.
Speaker 4: Gony hey crank for No Buns for some reason.
Speaker 5: Then, yeah, you yelled into it.
Speaker 3: Sorry about that. It's me.
Speaker 5: It's on me.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the stream team.
Speaker 5: Just like Turner, I'm gonna take a responsibility for that.
Speaker 1: Hello, stream teams, Thanks for joining us on YouTube, Subscribe, like, comment, share of the show. Get your No Dunks merch over at no dunks dot com. Send in your questions and comments to No dunks at the Athletic dot com. Hit us up on Twitter at No Dunksinc. And later today. If you're a fan of the room, rooms. I always do that when we do vroomroom, but they don't do that in a car New No Breaks with Trey and Graydon recapping the F one race in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 2: Boston, Texas. You think it would be an advantage? Weird start today, that's a weird one. Would it be an advantage to drive a Formula one car with a motorcycle handlebars? Think about it. We'll get into that more at one o'clock PM Eastern on No buns, no breaks. Hey, hey, JD. Just start over, Turbo, just start the whole show over.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, you go.
Speaker 3: I Well, motorcycle riders that do the lazier easy riding way up those handlebars that are way up, they're like shoulder level. It must be tiring. Yeah, it must be extremely tiring on the arms. I'm surprised I would. I would never do that. I'd rather be hunched over that it's more comfortable, or you're gonna ride a tricycle. Tricycles are fun. Those ones.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of NBA games to get to, a lot of NBA headlines to tackle. But but, but but we had another Reggie last night, and this one happened in Portland, and that means the Weggie Whisperer himself, Lamar Hurd was on the call to listen.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: You know what that means.
Speaker 3: We have a wet I got I gotta get the talent from the no dunsco.
Speaker 2: You know they track every.
Speaker 1: Wedding Reggie Tracker dot com.
Speaker 2: Put it in a book.
Speaker 1: Books there it is number two Weggie Tracker dot Com. They were a little slow to the first one, updating the website Loudery the other night, but.
Speaker 5: Now they're on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like how Kevin Collaboro, played by play announcer for the Blazer, says, that's the first one of the season for you to Lamar Hurt as in, I don't I don't touch these wedgies. That's all you go go crazy, Lamar Hurt obviously jumping all over it. Just it's meant to be. He gets all the witches.
Speaker 1: Why are they always happening in Portland?
Speaker 3: It is astonishing.
Speaker 2: It's the humidity. I do think. I think the balls are stickier. It's possible. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's get into a little what you got.
Speaker 2: What you got? It's hot used to be a little freezing in the A. Okay, let's talk about basketball.
Speaker 1: Bars, all right? First one here, what you got, you know, I throw a couple options at you guys. You tell me which one you want to go with. We'll start this Monday Nights more impressive duo because we got two incredible backcourt performances from two teams in wins Lillard and Simons with the Blazers taking care of the Nuggets at home where we saw that wedgie happen. Or John Morant and Desmond Bain with the Grizzlies beating the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 3: Very different. What's your choice here? Yeah, both incredible performances. I'm gonna go with the Memphis Grizzlies because I couldn't really pick who had the more impressive performance from that team from Morent and Desmond Bain. Phenomenal stuff. Bain coming out there in the third quarter getting hot for nineteen of his points, but I think John Morant was the more impressive guy. That team worth the discounted league past price they're putting out there this year on their own marine and phenomenal Jo Moran has never lost to the Brooklyn Nets. Five and oh against the Brooklyn Nets the Memphis Grizzlies seven and O under Taylor Jenkins against the Brooklyn Nets. They've won their last seven games. It's an incredible place to watch a game. John Moran, the left handed alley oop dunk, the two handed dunk, the passing, the everything, the fouling out of Ben Simmons, and then recalling after the game the same thing he did in his rookie year to Ben Simmons to foul him out against the Sixers way back when. I mean just so much there. And the injection of Santi al Dama into the starting lineup. I know we're talking about Moran and Bain, which is phenomenal, but you don't really miss Jaron Jackson junior right now. If there's one team that can just pick somebody up off the bench and insert him into the starting lineup, they're three and one. Part of that reason is because al Dama's got a ton of confidence at seventeen, and this one can shoot, can obviously drive solous performance against a crappy Brooklyn Nets defense that is going to fall apart as this season comes goes along. They're one and three to start this season, but crazy stuff in both cities, so I couldn't. I couldn't really decide, but.
Speaker 1: In the end leaning towards Jaw and Babe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jaw and Baby. There's just some good storylines around there. And I kind of have an aversion to watching the Brooklyn Nets. I gotta be honest, it's like I want to avoid them. It's it's disease, Like I don't want to see that defense play. But they wanted this game. They did, but they just can't stop anybody when you've got two guards like that. They can try with a Ben Simmons, but they can't stop two guards like that.
Speaker 1: More impressive backcourt duo last night Lillard's and Simons Simons or John.
Speaker 2: Ban You know, it's a special night when Kyrie Irving and Kevin duranco for seventy four points combined and they're coming in a clear third here. So yeah, John Bain were awesome thirty eight apiece, But I will go with Lillard and Simons just because Anthony Simon's exploding for twenty two points in six minutes was the coolest thing I think that happened last night. He hit six straight threes, three of them he was blanketed by Contavious Caldwell Pope, and it was honestly like Clay Thompson esk the way they were just forcing the ball to him, saying, get the shot up because it's probably going in. Dame Lillard was coming down and just calling a play for Anthonty Simons every time down the court. There were questions myself included if Simons would be able to repeat his performance last year alongside Damian Lillard coming into this season. He looks like he's got it going. And last night, despite the fact that Lillard and Simons only went for sixty points combined, a mere sixty, they gotta be the more impressive duo for at least last night, just because watching somebody get twenty two and a quarter is pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're always talking about or I guess we did on the other podcast. You know, if you woke up out of the coma and you had to pick between watching the best stunks of the season the best dimes of the season, what would you pick. The real answer for me is a guy that catches fire. In the NBA, there is nothing better than someone that is just unconscious for like a five to six minute stretch, especially at home, and when they're just like give them the ball. Everybody knows where it's going. Kcp's all over them. Gordon was all over them in Simon's case, here I'm talking about and it doesn't matter. He even said after the game, like I hit one of them blind, Like there was the one whereas barely you can barely even see the rim at the top and he just chucks it up. So the twenty two points in that explosion, there was a lot of fun, I guess. So I go with them last night as my answer to this in the what You Got. But I do wonder if John Morant and Desmond Baine are they the best backcourt in the league. I know Curry and Clay would have something to say about that, but man, they're on the short list, right and maybe Lord and Simon's two at this point. But man, Moran and Bain, with what we've seen already from them a year prior and then now this year they start, I mean, they just they're there to me.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, And when you're led by John Moranton, they have that confidence. Was a blast coming out of the locker room there because they wanted to give it to Kyrie and Kevin Durant, who as Trey mentioned both had thirty seven. Just you know, thinking about that to two sets of teammates, thirty seven plus thirty seven, thirty seven for the Nets, thirty eight and thirty eight for the Grizzlies. Duo hasn't happened since nineteen eighty three, where two sets of teammates have done that. So that was hard to do. But yeah, the Grizzlies have it all together and this is a team that's for real. And yeah, on the Simons front, he had two bad games that he's coming off of five of seventeen performances. He got that one layup with three minutes into the third quarter, and then that got him going a mid range shot and then Lillard happy to pass it to him, and it was a little Warriors esque as soon as Lillard gave him the ball, Just like the Warriors throw up their hands when Curry lets it go, that's what Lillard was doing. You'd throw it to Simons after he got those two early buckets in the quarter and then they started raining down six to seven from three in the quarter, twenty two of his twin incredible.
Speaker 1: I love it. I just love it. At home, Like I said, like the bench going nuts too. I think there's like I think even the NBA with their clip of this game where Simon's going off, they chose not Simon shooting a three, but like the Blazer's bench just like going bunkers, just going nuts because they don't know what to do. And this was a game that they traded, trailed really early the Blazers did, looked like the Nuggets might take care of business. And then man, they got back in a hurry and put up a whole lot of points. And Lillard, I mean, we're glossing over him here, but like what a start to the season. I mean, he's like an MVP candidate again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the lone undefeated team in the Western Conference and sign of a good team. The Nuggets gave it to him. In the first half. It looked like the Nuggets were gonna win this game. You had Nikola Jokic back to the basket, about seventeen eighteen feet from the basket, gets the ball with Nurkich on his back left hand, just a lob over his shoulder into the lane, over a defender to a streaking Jeff Green afore a play, fantastic pass, an incredible pass, it's got to be one of the best pass of the season that probably won't make a top ten list when it comes down to it, just because he makes it look so fricking easy. But he wasn't really taking it to the Blazers. It was an odd night.
Speaker 1: He was in foul trouble all night long.
Speaker 3: Yes he was, he was, but four shot attempts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: It was strange, but a good sign for a Blazer's team coming out of the break. They're down and putting it all together there. That's why it was one of these games I liked because I watched after the fact and I didn't know how the Blazers were going to do it. I had no idea, And then that was a blast for me to watch Simon's in that third quarter and one of the best places to watch a game there in Portland as well, both Portland and Memphis. Oh yeah, those are great rivals for one of the best arenas to watch a game.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, are you getting the itch to get us all together? Do the road trip again to Memphis? After seeing like, just like the highlight tape that John Moran already has four games into this season, It's like would be most players like they would be happy with like these ten plays that he has from four games for the entirety of a season. So do we need to go to Memphis to see this again in person?
Speaker 3: You hated it, You hated hated driving. You were complaining I didn't drive. I know you didn't like driving there.
Speaker 2: You didn't out of the way, you didn't like that was some reason.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. Thank god for me, we would have never got to Memphis. I'm the one that finally spoke up from the back seat, going I think we're going.
Speaker 3: The wrong way. Yeah, well, listen, trying to go to.
Speaker 2: I love college football.
Speaker 3: I met that Mississippi trooper who's a very nice fellow who pulled us over. It was my fault. We were in a rental. I didn't plug in my car.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that nice He gave you a ticket?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also yeah, but he got us in and out in like nine minutes. That was It was huge for a guy that went the absolute wrong way. And then we're driving in the wilderness. I mean, if if I took us off the road there looking for the APPS, I don't know if we'd be here. Who knows we would be in a cornfield somewhere right now. It was my fault. It was my fault. We're in a rental. I didn't plug. I was comfortable with Trey taking over the maps. I thought I was in my own car on the map, but we just I just thought I'm an idiot anyway, wells.
Speaker 2: Due that day was being grish in the back seat. Sea. Yeah, I'm telling you, I looked like a straight shot to show me the map, very straight. We're fine, we should.
Speaker 1: Be okay, we're going back to Memphis. We have to redeem ourselves. We should go now.
Speaker 2: We should go specifically right now, but we should go while Ja Moranch shooting sixty percent from three because he's guaranteed to have like a ridiculous yea, we might be able to get there for the first fifty point game.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 1: And we're staying. The lesson learned is we're staying the night too. Yeah, that was our other thing. Yeah, that was the right way.
Speaker 2: Another good lesson. We've learned so much.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from you guys in the stream team, everybody listening to the podcast watching later, all of these what you got. Let's hear your answer. I think that one is a fun one from last night. The more impressive duo for Monday night? Is it Lillard and Simon's or is it jam Rant and Babe both in victories? Next one, Let's put it like this, what was the worst loss last night?
Speaker 3: The Wolves to the.
Speaker 1: Spurs or the Celtics to the Bulls? Who got pumped in the end? Trey get started.
Speaker 2: This is a disrespectful question. Come on, man, The Bulls made the playoffs last year. The Bulls beat the Celtics last year. It's gotta be the Wolves losing to the Spurs. You gotta get creative with you sometimes. Yeah, that's good. It's good. Gives me something to get fired up about. But I don't know. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised that the Wolves lost to the undefeated San Antonio Spurs. They still on defeat. No, No, they took the loss. Yeah, they took the loss. Nonetheless, the Spurs led by thirty five in the fourth quarter of this game. That's honestly ridiculous. Minnesota now has losses to the Spurs and Jazz and are squeaking by the Oklahoma City Thunder. We've seen Rudy Gobert has now called the team out defensively after these two losses, once for attention to detail, once for effort. He is always going to speak his mind when it comes to competing on the defensive end, and the Timberwolves haven't done it yet. They haven't competed on the defensive end. It's almost like they thought, we're bringing in Rudy Gobert instantly, we're going to have a good defense, and that has been far from the truth. They're getting ran around like crazy. It's all about ball movement. If you pass the ball, you're gonna beat the Timberwolves. Right now, You're gonna get some open threes, and the Spurs were able to do that last night. Also, Anthony Edwards looks a little disconnected from the team right now. He was missing a bunch of layups last night or kind of just standing around waiting for something to happen. He seems to be a little bit lost. With the geometry of the floor changing, so the Wolves, you know, I kind of think there was an idea that Rudy Gobert Grober coming in and addressing their weaknesses defense and rebounding would change things perfectly, and they would pick up right where they left off at the end of last season. Obviously there's a lot to work through. They've got the time to do it. You would rather struggle at the beginning of the seat. But it ain't clicking right now at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Finch after the game said, right now, this team's personality is kind of timid. Doesn't like what he saw. He actually left the starters in at the end of this game. They're down like thirty points. He brought them back, I should say, with the sole purposes to get them some reps. You know, we're getting killed here by the Spurs, Like, let's run some stuff here and try and get a little more comfortable with each other, which you don't see that often. But what do you think of this one?
Speaker 3: Oh, they're embarrassed. They truly were embarrassed because, as I mentioned, a good team like the Blazers coming out of halftime in their own building, the Grizzlies coming out a half time in their own building. After you get mopped in the first half, you come out and play better. They got ran out of the building in the first half. It looked like a bunch of young guys Jeremy Sohan and Kelden Johnson and Trey Jones. Just playing against old guys who are ready to retire. They just didn't want to make any sort of second effort. The fast break points twenty four to two in transition thirty nine points right off the bat in that first quarter, So thinking watching this game that they'd come out with a little bit of tenacity. The assistant coach of the Timberwolves was interviewed at halftime, and usually an assistant coach doesn't say anything of importance. You know, it's it's button down stuff, you know, keep it close to the best. Hey, you know, we got to work on this. Blah blah blah. He said, they're making us run around out there like we're in a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Now, maybe don't say that to your team because Tom and Jerry. I don't think that's really going to resonate with young people these days. I mean, if it's kind of hard, who do you go with it in a situation like that, like a cartoon, modern day cartoon. I mean, even bugs, I think would be smarter if you're gonna go oldie, but with a new one a sponge SpongeBob and Patrick.
Speaker 1: Running around, Yeah, run underwater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I think, I mean people are doing it. They're doing it for the Cleveland Guardians. There was a SpongeBob out there, and there was a young person wearing a SpongeBob. Anyways, anyways, point is they knew at halftime they were getting destroyed. Even their assistant coach Mike and Dori, was very clear that we stunk. And then they came out there and stunk some more in the second half. That was I was truly embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Spurs thirty six to fourteen in that third quarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so yeah, they it really look like old guys who didn't want to play defense whatsoever. And I know, you know, when all of a sudden the other two and two, and it's not it's not absolutely horrible, but everybody just made them look bad. Especially as I mentioned this, the Spurs team kind of fun because they have all these athletes. Yea, they want to run ninety four feet, but.
Speaker 1: They're playing fast team yes quick, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they have some vets like Yaka Perl and Jason Richardson that could be a good match for a Russell Westbrook trade that we'll get to a little bit later. I didn't see that coming from the shampshe Une article.
Speaker 1: But you can't break up the spurs of three and one.
Speaker 3: Ye can't break them up. And I don't don't know if Westbrook would fit on the San Antonio Spurs, But here we are Wolves. Yeah, as you said, the Anthony Edwards thing, he said after the game, I sucking back to backs, going back to last season. I can't play on the second half of a back to back. He was three or fifteen. But he also said that were a lot better, as you said yesterday, with a smaller lineup out there and not Rudy Gobert sort of closing the lane.
Speaker 2: And you had Carl Anthony Towns kind of calling out Anthony Edwards in postgame saying, you media think it's funny when he says he eats Popeyes, but I don't think it's funny that he eats Popeyes, basically calling him out for being out of shape. And I mean, the Timberwolves look slow. They were a team that played really fast last year. They had a whole bunch of turnovers with Jared Vanderbilt McDaniels trying to get in passing lanes and Patrick Beverley bringing a lot of intensity with losing Vanderbilt and Beverly, they seem to have lost a little bit of intensity. And certainly the Spurs were the faster team. Thirty seven assists for the Spurs, thirty nine assists for the Jazz. They're just able to get the ball moving, and the ball is moving a lot faster than the Timberwolves can right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you'd think with two monstrous seven footers kind of hanging around by the rim, you wouldn't have easy buckets, and they were by the rim, but just one extra pass to the three point line and these three pointers were so wide open for this burst. So did we underestimate the chemistry change of Rudy Gobert coming in and Patrick Beverley and Jared Vanderbilt going up. Maybe that was their first year where they got things together, and obviously it could pick up, but yeah, the chemistry of those guys in the locker room has just not bonded quite yet.
Speaker 1: And what happened in this Celtics Bulls game, because Boston were und like fifty points, it felt like and it was gonna be a wrap and then the Bulls just went on this insane run and then everybody was getting tossed left and right. Give me the Coles notes on this game.
Speaker 2: Goran drug it is good apparently Again, that's basically what it comes down to. He has been a huge pickup for the Bulls. Andre Drummond I thought was great in this one, but it was really the Bulls second unit plus Zach Lavine that came in and played really really fast. Drag Its was pushing in the pace and just that little bit smaller team kind of turned the tide with their athleticism. Vooch was also really really good. We'll get to him in a little bit here on his birthday, but he was just dominant inside. So this was probably the best the Bulls have looked to start this season. Levine's looking all right, So yeah, I was certainly surprised because it did not start off good. Tatum was cooking. I think he had fifteen in the first quarter. Texting back and forth with my friends. Unfortunately the Bulls aren't on this level. You know, the Celtics are just too good. And then by the second half it was the Bulls or Eastern Conference fa back right.
Speaker 1: And Grant Williams I know, got tossed for uh were hard to be accidental.
Speaker 2: Contact.
Speaker 1: If I'm being honest, I think with the referee, I don't think he was like aggressively going out. I think he was just like he was angry with the reaction and then bumped him. He's doesn't know where his body starts and ends, I guess, And I mean he made contact official, But I thought that.
Speaker 3: Was I thought it was accidental. And you also had Mark Smart, Mark Smart. Marcus Smart hammering a ball into an official's head a couple times a couple of times is a very strange one. Should we make a blooper video of that? Let us know. Let's put up a YouTube poll. Let us know. Should we make a blooper video of Marcus Smart? Blue Boopin's Is that the word for hitting referee?
Speaker 1: That's a double doink.
Speaker 3: It's a double doink? Yeah, alliteration. Let's let's see what the people say.
Speaker 1: All right? Our next one, more surprising one in three start the Miami Heat or the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Sixers got their first win of the season last night against the Pacers. They needed that or Doc Rivers was going to be gone, as we were talking about. And then the Heat they lost to the Raptors last night. That was a split there in South Beach. They beat the Raptors on Saturday night. They lose last night. But both of these teams that a lot of people were, of course high on in the Eastern Conference. One in three. What's the more surprising start?
Speaker 3: I think overall it's the Philadelphia seventy six ers, But we've talked so much about this Philasadelphia seventy six ers team can't do it anymore. I want to talk about the Heat. You're playing against a good team in a situation where you're playing two games against them, Yeah, it's hard, just weep. So it makes sense that the Raptors were able to win the Heat have lost to the Celtics and now the Raptors and two of their three losses, So that's kind of understandable, especially when you're playing against the defense like the Toronto Raptors. My goodness, the way they get out on the ball handler. Nick Nurse will never lay back on a ball handler. As head coach of the Raptors, he will never ever ever allow a guy to go into the paint. So he gets he gets his guys out on the ball handler, they make a pass, the other team does the Heat in this situation, and the Raptors are so good at scrambling and corraling and doubling and getting the ball out of that guy's hands.
Speaker 1: It's because their defense is their offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't score in the half court set, but man in transition and.
Speaker 2: They know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, they're a transition team. But they are able to hold the mind Heat to fourteen points in the fourth quarter because they're just they're too much. They are too much. They are a vice script. That's what they do. And it was it was fun to watch from a defensive perspective. It wasn't a pretty game whatsoever. And the Raps they had get their points from from scrambling and Pascal Siak And even though he had a bad shooting night, was the best player on the floor because you can go to him right now. He is the go to guy for the Raps. He's had a great start to the season both offensively and defensively. One of the best few players in the league. I think he's just been so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's been spectacling big jumper last night to basically win the game there.
Speaker 3: For the Raptors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Raptors are playing a lot of close games here, the three point win over the Calves. They had a four point loss to the Nets, a three point loss to the Heat. They came back in the second half there on Satday Knife but couldn't get it done. And now this eight point victory against all these Eastern Conference teams that are probably in their mix right Calves, Brooklyn, Miami. A lot of people have the Raptors sort of in that tier with these teams. So a big win there. But what have you thought of Miami Heat. I think they've been a weird team to start this season. I can't really.
Speaker 2: Tass is totally right. We've talked about the Sixers so much that we're kind of ignoring the fact that the Heat are really struggling out of the gate.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: They're twenty seventh in offense and eighteenth in defense, and a lot of it comes down to Kyle Lowry ten four and four on the season, twenty eight from the field, twenty eight from three, doesn't look to have much burst right now, doesn't look to have much change in his fitness compared to last season. And the big thing for the Heat right now is they are not getting any three point attempts up there, twenty fifth in attempts, twenty first in percentage, adds up to twenty fourth in makes. They need three point shooting on this team. Jimmy can get to the hoop, he can get free throws. Bam will give you sixteen to twenty perhaps, but you look back at their most successful teams twenty twenty and twenty twenty two, they were top ten and threes finish top ten in offense in that twenty twenty one season fourteenth and Threes eighteenth in offense. There are a lot of limited players on Miami who need to make three pointers. It's like Hero can do stuff with the ball, Jimmy can do stuff.
Speaker 3: With the ball.
Speaker 2: You would like Lowrdy to be one of those guys, but everybody else has to have a shot created for him. And if they're not able to really puncture the defense, then they're not able to get these three pointers up. So it has been a bad start, certainly for the Heat, but they have played all playoff teams so far, so I mean, it is it's more surprising that the Sixers are one and three. They've got the worst loss here. They lost to the Spurs, the least impressive win beating the Pacers. But yeah, they are providing a little bit of cover I do think for Miami struggling out of the gate.
Speaker 1: Any other thoughts on Miami here early in the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is always the question is when are they going to get into the lane and create for others? And Tyler Hero has been put into the starting lineup for that exact reason. PJ. Tucker gone, Tyler Hero doesn't play the same position. But they just need another ball handler to be beside Kyle Lowry. So they got to find that balance. So win, Tyler gets the ball and creates and win. Kyle Lowry does that and right now. Yeah, Tyler his three point shot off last night, two of nine, but they still get after it. It was still felt like a Miami heat game. And it is odd that they're still middle of the pack defensively. But they did a good job against the raps. They were they were fighting, scrapping and it shows in Tyler Hero's rebound number. He get fifteen boards. It's weird, Tyler Hero, I mean a lot of rebounds. You could tell Eric Spolster has gotten in his ear. You want to play, we need we need a gang rebounding type of team because this is I know that people people claim the caves benches thin. This this team's bench is now somewhat thin with Tyler Hero going into the starting line. So you know, like the Raps rely on their starters a lot, the Heat are going to do that.
Speaker 1: And it's not helping when two of your starters are not playing all that well. Lowry is absolutely garbage. That pains me to say as a die hard Raptors fan or a Lowry fan, I should say he has been so bad because the other thing is like Lowry could have bad games at least when you looked at the box score. But he's having an impact on the game. He's taking charge, he's you know, timely baskets timely. He's not really doing any of that that I saw. He finally picked up a charge last night because he knew Og was just gonna barrel into the rems like well, I've seen this before in practice. I'll just step here, but just having no impact and then bam at a bio is He's done next to nothing this season as well. I mean unless he is rolling to the rim. You have big dunk last night sort of like down the lane Crickets from him as well. So those the two starters that are like you know, been all stars are giving you nothing and it's left to Jimmy and the hero, you know, Allen the starting lineup. He's doing his best, but it's just a weird start. And yeah, you were talking about the three point shooting. Last night's game illustrated that, like the Raptors forty two to twenty four from three point range when you look at just the points, and then twenty seven to thirteen in fast breaks for the Raptors, and that was big part of the fourth quarter. They hit five threes, the Raps did, and that was enough to get it done and get the split there. Nice to have a Chris Bouchet back for the Raptors as well. Talk about a bench being bad. The Raptors had been that. Raptor's much have been non existent for three games. Bouchet comes back, you know. Now it's him and Precious there and they both had monster games, so maybe they'll be off and running here final one. I'm speaking of precious taste to your beef. Two guys that went for twenty plus rebounds last night, Precious Sachua with twenty two off the bench, or birthday boy Vucevic with twenty three Trey Taste your beef.
Speaker 2: Two beefs on one night, JD. I didn't send in a video, but that's still a lot of roast beef. I'm going with Vouch for three reasons. Number one, first and foremost, I'm a homer, no surprise, but also twenty one rebounds through three quarters he was beef and early ended up with twenty three. You gotta give a shout out to precious twenty two on a bench beef. That's super impressive to come out off off off the pine and beef up. But yeah, the birthday beef for Vouch, I think kind of pushes him over the edge. And the fact that he had ten offensive rebounds and was just honestly destroying the Celtics inside with the offensive rebounds, So you split it up nice, ten and thirteen. That's good to go. So yeah, give me Vouch. But I love to see a guy coming off the bench and just rebound as hard as possible for like thirty straight minute. That's pretty hilarious.
Speaker 1: That's revenge beef too. I guess his former team traded for Lowry.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, there's definitely a reason why he beefed in this particular game. Yeah, no, Scottie Barnes, which which hurt the Raps in the starting lineup. But they throw in Christian Colloco into the starting app him and Pascal Siakam the first two Cameroonians to start together in an NBA game. So very cool there, and uh, same team at least, yes, same team? Yeah, oh yes, what did I say.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just clarifying because it's not.
Speaker 3: The same game. Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant. You're right, You're totally right. Thanks, Thanks anyway, Uh, pressure to you. Yet there's a Raptor's contingent that wants him in the starting lineup. Nick Nurse says, no, you're coming off the bench, sir. Him and him and Chris Bouchet will work really well together when they get it going. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what Nurse did last year. Those two guys would come in off the bench together a lot of the times, and it's like whoa, it's a bit of a game change at least from the up for the opposition, like these two, you know, boucheting away from corner threes. He had a couple of last night. Obviously, both guys can do work on the boards, decent defenders inside. Precious is like this was a monster game, but he has had a bad season up until last night. It was you know, I want to come up. I'm trying to. I feel like there's something to a nickname where his name is Precious. So there might be a Gollum and Schmiegel sort of Lord of the Rings angle. Maybe it's because I was watching that new show, but it's like, Okay, Gollum would be what the bad version of Precious and Smigel would be the good version. It's like, I mean we didn't even know, right, Like.
Speaker 2: That's why you were asking jj who was Gollum back when he.
Speaker 1: Was I wanted to clarify that Gollum was a hobbit, like way back in the day, JD, you can confirm this right, and his name was Smigel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm anyway that Loart of the Rings is not I'm not an expert.
Speaker 1: Have you watched the news series.
Speaker 5: I've seen a couple of y Yeah, I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you like the elves.
Speaker 5: I love the.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a good bagel shop to me. Golloman Schmiegel, Yeah yeah, all right, So there you go, let's go, I'm bad idea.
Speaker 1: Anyway, there's something there. Let's figure it out with precious. Yes, he has his bad moments and he has great moments like last night with UH with all of those rebounds too great were those of the first big beefs of the year. Did we like to.
Speaker 2: Weekend beef? But to circle back, we asked the people, do you want a blooper video of Marcus Smart hitting a ref with a ball twice? I'm not very disrespectful to the wreath. One hit is fine.
Speaker 1: Let's just quickly touch on any of these other games already brought up hard In and Embid leading the Sixers past the Pacers for their first win. The Rockets handed the Jazz their first loss one, and the Knicks UH kept the magic win with the one fifteen one two victory. You guys want to touch on any of those any notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's understandable that Jazz are gonna lose. Eventually, we'll get into a little beef. Speaking of beef's on the other side of the Houston Rockets had a little beef later on in the show. The Philadelphia seventy six Ers. Of course, they're gonna win a basketball game. It's fine. They got their first w the Knicks holding off the Magic team that I was watching this game and they felt like they were hot, felt like the Magic were gonna outperform this next team. So a good sign there, I think for the Knicks to have their big three perform twenty plus from Brunson, Barrett and Julius Randall. But in all honesty, I was just gawking at Paolo Boncira on the other side. I mean, for such a huge guy, he's got the side step jumper going in the NBA already. He can he can do what he wants, and he had eleven free throws in this game. He's on his way to superstart him. If you're getting double digit free is all ready to start your season. He's got the bag. But anyway, the Knicks, yeah, hold off, came out of the locker room and finished the job in the second half.
Speaker 2: This has been a good start to the next season.
Speaker 1: They lost to the Grizzlies in overtime in their opener and then have played two of the East likely you know sellar dwellers there in the Pistons and the Magic. But took care of business in both games and they the Knicks are playing with more pace and are grabbing a ton of offensive rebounds, like they're just getting way more shots than the other team. And I've been really impressed, and I know Fred Katz was tweeting about it last night. Julius Randall, who, as you know, he's gotten better at his decision making. It's not as sluggish. He's making quicker reads on the defense, but he's also just like running the floor and he's like getting easy baskets that way. And so you've have Bronson, who I was really high on joining this team and make him into like a real respectable team. Barrett struggled with a shot, but you know he's still giving you, like whatever, sixteen points per game. And then Randall's playing really really well. Those like the their quote unquote big three, good start to the season.
Speaker 3: Takes the pressure off r It takes the pressure Randal. You know, Randall knows when he's running down the floor, oh, things not going to go through me every single time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I can put some effort into that.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's in great shape too, Randall, And he looks like he's in a good mental space, very happy, very smiley, on the court. There's definitely a lightness around the Knicks right now that wasn't there during the middle of last season. But you're exactly right. Paulo Mooncaro is the real deal. Four twenty point games to start his career pretty impressive. He's their go to guy right now. Franz has struggled a little bit out of the gate here and a nice game for Bull Bully. This guy's legitimately in the rotation right now for the Magic shout out.
Speaker 3: They have a thousand big guys and Bull Bull is earning his spot. He was able to go three point line to corner on defense, able to have some footwork on the defense. He had a euro step. It looks like a travel with Bull. Bull has a euro step because it's so slow. But legitimately in the rotation contributing. It's great.
Speaker 1: He's blocking guys jump shots. He's got a couple of those this season. Blocks last night, Yeah, and Clyke Fraser was loving him. Look at this guy. He was pumped and he wears the same number as him to pretend he was very ecstatic about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Good game from him, even though they have yet to find.
Speaker 3: A w and uh Yeah, it's perfect. They're going for that's that's what they do. They're they're looking for aliens, they're looking for victor when that's what they what they should be doing. But I hate to go play on words on the most meat baldi of meatballs. We're looking for which NBA player would be the most meat baldy? But meat bowl bowl is good, like it's a bowl of meatballs. Even though even though he's the thinnest guy, so it doesn't really Yeah, he doesn't really fit his persona, but you know that.
Speaker 2: Guy is the spaghetti.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take our first break and when we come back. We got a bunch of NBA headlines that tackle don't go anywhere. Okay, have some NBA headlines for you guys. In the first one here from the Athletic you ever heard of it?
Speaker 3: Love that I have a great sight.
Speaker 1: The Pelicans brandon Ingram enters concussion protocol. So no timetable for Ingram's return. I know he's out tonight they host the Dallas Mavericks, I think on TNT. But Ingram's gonna have to clear a series of steps to ensure he is symptom free before resuming basketball activities. Yeah, what do you think of this?
Speaker 2: Too bad for the Pelicans, talked about it yesterday, but they've got the MAVs, Sons, Clippers, Lakers, and Warriors the next two weeks. Don't know how long Brandon Ingram is going to be out, but reasonable that he misses a big chunk of those five games. They've also got Zion to worry about, who had a nasty fall. Not going to be a long lasting thing, it doesn't sound like, and Herb Jones tweaked his knee, which is probably the most concerning chance of recurring of these three injuries. So kind of, you know, three tough ones for the Pelicans, but they basically just need to survive with CJ. McCollum and Yonis valencionas pretty solid start to the season for them. You beat the Lakers, you steal one of those other four games, and you're living the life while having a couple of your best scores out of the lineup. So that's why you have a deep team. That's why you have so many people who can score with the ball in their hands, so that if one of them goes out, somebody else can step in and next man up. Mentality, But too bad because we just want to see Ingram and Zion on the court together and see what this Pelicans team can actually be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you've been mentioning that brandon Ingram one of the most underrated players I think in the NBA. Absolutely the first two people that people talk about when they talk about the Pelicans. It's Zion obviously and CJ. McCollum is stealing the limelight. But as Trey said, they're so deep, none of this can spoil their start to the season. I don't think. Obviously brandon Ingram is out for a long time, but they're so good. You saw it. And when they came back against the Utah Jazz the other day without Zion, without brandon Ingram, they ha CJ as their lead guy and then just everybody working their ass off around him. A guy like Larry and Ann stepped in was throwing down, you know, doing tapping the top of his head because he was dunking on people. Well, they have a very deep roster when it comes down to it, so I don't think this can spoil the this bit of a Cinderella start to this season, and everybody's kind of Cinderella pick to go deep too. It's too early and no one's out for too long, so I'm not getting down quite yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, b I for sure out tonight. Zion herb Jones are day to day, so we'll find out if they play tonight. I'm fascinating to see if they do, maybe one of them. Let's say Zion doesn't play. I don't know what their starting lineup will be. That'll be a fascinating decision there. From Willie Green, you know, CJ. McCollum obviously the point guard. I would assume Trey Murphy the third in there. This guy's on fire from deep to start the season nine to fifteen in his second year. I mean, who fills the herb Jones spot?
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's what you know, is that Marshall?
Speaker 1: Is it Larry Nance, Jackson Hayes, if you have the two forward spots to fill in herb Jones and Zion or Ingram, however you want to look at it. He's got bodies lad names we just said, but you know it's not Zion and Bi and they're not coming off the bench to contribute that. So it gets pretty thin there in a hurry. But Valentu is your center. We'll see tonight, we'll see if they can stay in this game with the Dallas Mavericks and and take care of business at home, hopefully just Ingram's out for yeah, two three games, Yeah, something like that. That's I think fingers crossed on that and the other guys. It's nothing that serious, all right. Our next one's interesting comes from ESPN. Adam Silver says the NBA is monitoring serious tanking issue, and then within the article, this is from Baxter Holmes. He talked about the idea of relegation maybe in the NBA one date, well, he sort of did. He said that he loves the concept. He loves the idea of it. Maybe you know, you do something with the G League where the team in the NBA with the worst record, or maybe the two worst records, they go down to the G League, and the two best G League teams they come up to the NBA, like your European model there in soccer. But then he was like, eh, that would be destabilizing, So he like threw it out there. It was like, I'll never have We're not doing that, probably not. Do you think it will never happen?
Speaker 2: And he basically said it will never happen, because if we bring G League teams up, they won't be able to compete, and then they just go right back down and we've send the NBA teams up back together. This was a weird report to me. It's basically Adam Silver saying, we know there's going to be tanking, don't you do it. We don't have any way to stop you, but we will be watching. So I think all this means is that we could see some potential fines eventually during the season if teams are resting players when they shouldn't be, because otherwise there are no like measures the Silver can take this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this specific season totally. I think he is throwing out the G League idea out there because he does want to come down on teams. It's totally true. I think there has to be some form of punishment. This is the most concerned he's been in several years. Last you know, the last couple of years, there hasn't been a lot of tanking teams. There hasn't been, but with this alien Victor wo Binyama coming out this season. He addressed it. Preseason, he said that through our lottery that could there's a way that teams could get him. I know many of our NBA teams are salivating at the notion of that, so he's very aware of that. And I'm not so sure though, if you were to relegate teams that the teams that came up would automatically go back down. We're watching the San Antonio Spurs run up and down in an eighty two game set. I don't think they'd be the worst teams. How many teams are we talking to I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think one or two. I think would be max.
Speaker 3: I mean the fact that they've built the G League up to be more of a direct minor league, to pay players more, to take players away from going to college instead. The j liagu's getting stronger. I think that's clear, and they've brought it closer to the NBA. I know he's just throwing sort of throwing that out there, but I think you throw it out there to leave a little vestige in people's mind that may one day, maybe one day, I know it's not. I don't know. He's getting closer and closer. We've got an in game tournament coming, We're getting closer and closer to the premier league. It's it's it's not, It's not unthinkable.
Speaker 1: I don't think he told the employees. By the way, this was all said at like him talking like to the Sun's employees, right, he said, quote you know from sources from Baxter Homes. It would so disrupt our business model, the idea of relegation. And even if you look, sorry, even if you took two teams up from the G League, they wouldn't be equipped to compete in the NBA. There's two ways to look at that part. Equipped. You can look at it like they get their asses handed to them because there are a bunch of G leaguers playing NBA guys. Maybe a sort of agreezy task like are we so sure?
Speaker 2: Like would they?
Speaker 1: But I also think he means literally equipped in terms of where they play, they're staffing. How does this go like in relegation in or when you come up in soccer? Right, they're like basically given tons of cash. I mean you're you know, to get up there. That's why they're playing for it, to get up into the big leagues. How would that work in the NBA? I mean whatever, That's why it's so far fetched it is. I mean, it would be cool. I'd love to see the Raptors nine oh five take on the Raptors in ad.
Speaker 3: Be cool if it'd be cool if they played well, but they don't. And you know, in previous All Star Games, we had a D League All Star Game and league sorry de League All Star team at Summer League. Excuse me, they get they get usually get beat by Summer League teams, not by NBA teams.
Speaker 1: So do you call it D League because Gatorady doesn't.
Speaker 3: Pay you, No, because they know I'm I'm I'm being precise here. I know I wasn't precise with the two Cameroonians playing on the same team together in the starting lineup, but I'm being precise here, And yeah, the D League All Stars would get hammered by Summer League teams.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so I think there's a better way to uh obviously not incentivized tanking. I mean they've tried to the play in Okay, the flattening of odds. So it's like, if you're the worst team, you don't get a twenty five percent chance, and now you're if you're one of the worst teams, you sort of share the same percentage. Like they have taken.
Speaker 2: Steps, steps have been taken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the right steps so far, and but maybe there's other things too. I know there's been a lot of talk about like teams that are out of the playoffs are suddenly like almost battling from their record then on to then almost win high picks, you know, and things like that of that nature. So probably not relegation, but I'm sure a lot of people have opinions on this. Would you love to see what's your favorite G League team?
Speaker 2: Ignite second favorite?
Speaker 1: What's your second favorite league? Balls?
Speaker 2: There you go. That's okay.
Speaker 1: Would be bumped to see them have a chance to get in.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. I like the NBA players. I like the best players. Yeah, that's why they're all on the NBA.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest issue, the level of players.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think. Could there be something where like you, as a G League team get bump top because an NBA team gets bumped down, but you get to like keep like half their players or something like that.
Speaker 2: So you get to keep the best NBA players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you just get the team. Now, It's like, where where's Windy City located? Are they just suburbs?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Arlington Heights, I believe.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would love to go to Arlington Knights, said, no one ever.
Speaker 3: Wasn't so Leicester one the Premier League? Weren't they a relegated team once upon a time? I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are Cinderella stories for sure, But.
Speaker 3: Does it work in football? Because because they're just good enough to defend and they don't necessarily they're able to just hold off the better teams, the better players, the better offensive players, because it's different, you know, it's a different game. Is that what happens?
Speaker 2: There's like four goals?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like four players that matter.
Speaker 3: I get, well, I don't know, you know, I don't want to be ignorant about football. That's that's what it feels like. You can just hold off the talented strikers. If that's how it works. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I said Arlington Heights, but I meant to say. Hoffman estates, I know you were like, there's no way it was Why would they put it in Arley Heights, Hoffman estates, makes more so?
Speaker 1: Hoffman estates that sounds bougie regal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going to the Hampton's almost.
Speaker 2: The Midwest Hampton's, the Midwest Hampton's And Hoffman estates.
Speaker 1: All right, our next headline here. The New York Post headline read Brooklyn Nets dead last in NBA season ticket sales as prices sore.
Speaker 3: Oh, the New York Posts gets you with the headline.
Speaker 2: They got you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Posts they buried the Nets in this article.
Speaker 3: They did, they did. But it doesn't really matter that they're dead last and season ticket sales what they're down? Yeah, about thirty percent from like if you read the article from eight to nine thousand and season ticket sales down to about five thousand. They did jack up prices on more than half the tickets. That's a that's a big reason, quite a bit. Apparently there is, you know, a drama within this team that probably hurts the season ticket sales. But they still are going to sell tickets because they rely more on same day tickets than a lot of other teams. You know, they were they were pretty far down in terms of season tickets last year, but they ended up tenth in attendance revenue because they rely on same day ticket sales. So this is it's listen, I think I have an aversion here to watching the Brooklyn Nets. You're not alone, I guess, no, absolutely no, It's it's something that's going on within the Brooklyn net fan base as well, But I think they'll still be middle of the pack type type of vibe. But as far as the roster goes, who the heck knows. If this watching, it doesn't feel like this roster will be the same come the end of the year, and then what happens to season ticket prices come next year. I think that they could go down even further, But as far as the books go, it's more of a headline article I think, and yeah, they are down that there's they're totally true, but they'll be middle of the pack. I think when it comes down.
Speaker 2: To yeah, I kind of feel the same way. If I were buying tickets for a Nets game, I would want to do it same day sales so I could know who is actually going to be in the lineup. More eye opening things to me is that the prices have gone up by more than fifty percent for the team's forty one home games, and they're up sixty six percent compared to the twenty nineteen season. That's too much. NBA tickets are too expensive, Like you talk about some fans being priced out in some arenas, It's not gonna be too long before all fans are priced out of all arenas. It's just too expensive. You throw on ticket fees for whatever service you're using, and you're spending two hundred dollars easily to go to a game with your family of four, Like before you even get into the into the arena, do anything. Then you go buy a four thousand dollars hot dog. So the NBA is gonna have a problem if ticket prices keep going like this. But it's honestly, ticket prices for every single thing you could go to, except for whatever reason, that Grizzlies versus NXT game seven bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should have went to that one. Yeah, the Grizzlies are doing a good job of keeping their prices down. They have not priced out their fans. But yeah, looking at it now, the Nets are thirteenth in attendance.
Speaker 6: They've had sellouts already this year. Yeah, from same day sales, same day sales. Yeah, it's it's not worrying for them. But I totally agree. Yeah, the the fees get you. They get you, and it's not just that the price they're pricing out in so many buildings. Our hometown in Toronto, I probably wouldn't be here today if the season ticket prices were way higher. I mean I got in. You know, we're paying twenty five bucks a seat back then in two thousand and one, and I was uh.
Speaker 1: Up and yeah right, just to get in the building.
Speaker 3: It's it's ridiculously expensive. And shout out to those there's a company there that's in my Instagram ads that's trying to get rid of the ticket fees. It's it's an ad with three bros basically just saying what Ray just said. It's the guys just say ticket fees are too ridiculous. Oh I got this startup that gets rid of your ticket fees. I don't know what the brand is, not an come advertised on No Dunk, but because we believe in that product, because the ticket fees are ridiculously You just.
Speaker 1: Had me thinking about like how expensive it is to go to the game, and like, you know, you could just stay at home and watch it obviously on League Pass or whatever.
Speaker 2: What happened to VR?
Speaker 1: What did anybody talk about VR?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Not the NBA integration with VR?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was apparently the next big thing. You're never even gonna have to go to the arena. We were all gonna be sitting court side. What's going on?
Speaker 3: I think I think they stopped. Yeah, so there was a weekly game that was only vry. Its possible, but I think maybe they stopped. You know, the pandemic stopped a lot of things. I think the pandemic may have stopped the VR production.
Speaker 1: You think that's when it would have popped off. Yeah, you think they're too busy working on legs in the metaverse over at Facebook, I thought.
Speaker 2: The legs were here, or the legs have arrived. I think you're right. Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Uh, Zuckerberg got his legs first, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Hey.
Speaker 1: Are you a vring NBA game? Somebody let me know in the stream, team or tweet at me at I'm legit serious. I felt like we were on the verge of like everybody doing it. You were dabbling.
Speaker 3: I was there. You dabbled court side. I was court sided. I was virtual popcorn. I was. I was absolutely loving that popcorn. I was going back for seconds. Thankfully it was a bucketless or a bottomless bucket. It was so good. Oh yeah, no calories A yeah, but man, I couldn't get enough of it. I'm glad it stopped. I'm glad we are stopped. Why because I like watching.
Speaker 2: They only had three things. They had You could eat air popcorn at an NBA arena. They had beat Saber you know where you got like and then your friend will always show you something nasty support. Yeah, that's the only three things playing. VR is still kicking, and we gotta see this. You gotta see this dancing to a music game and you're gonna have to You're gonna have to VR. They need something else besides that.
Speaker 3: I think it's the problem. I couldn't even get a cool game. I couldn't get beyond the lobby of a VR experience, Like where am I? Oh my goodness, it's uh, it's tough, it's tough to navigate. But then there's those uh this, what are you talking about? The skiing game? Is that what it is? I thought there was a skiing game where hit rings or something doc that was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got in Uh, I got in the ring once. That made my boxing debut. It was scary, man, scared. VR is good, but like, why are we talking about it when it comes to the NBA product?
Speaker 3: So what who are you battling?
Speaker 2: I don't know, just some fake dude it was huge, scary.
Speaker 3: No, mister s.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't touch gloves with me at the beginning. No sportsmanship in v r if y alright finale. This is from the Athletic Have you ever heard of it?
Speaker 3: Once? Uh Earlier in the show, as.
Speaker 1: The Lakers stumble early Russell Westbrook trade possibilities, lingers from Chams. He had a bunch on the Westbrook situation. Let me hit you with it. Over the summer, the Lakers reportedly discussed Westbrook trades with the likes of the Pacers, the Nets, the Jazz, even the Knicks, but they had been unwilling to part with both of their next trade eligible picks, that twenty seven pick, that twenty twenty nine first round pick. They just didn't want to put both in. Now, Schamps said they are willing to include one of those picks in a Westbrook trade. He reports that Charlotte's Terry Rozier emerged as a trade target for the Lakers in the offseason. Interest remains high and the Lakers, he brought this up earlier, tests preliminary discussions with the Spurs in recent weeks, showing interest in three and D wing Josh Richardson, do you see any potential Westbrook trades out there, Maybe that Chams is chucking our way or something else.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think the headline writer is bang on here with the athletic the Westbrook trades linger. I think I think the recipe here for the Lakers to start the season, although it's been ugly, bodes well for a potential trade for Russell Westbrook because number one, they're playing hard as I don't mean as far as Westbrook, the way Westbrook is playing, I don't think that really factors in. I don't think the other team that's going to trade for him particularly wants for that team to add to their lineup at all. The play. Yeah, they're doing it for the picks. And the fact that we see the Lakers here, Lebron and ad are balling. They look very very good. So are you gonna waste the season of Lebron's career? I think that bodes well to push Robelinka to make that move. Also, the best defense in the league as of yesterday, so they're playing hard. Things are not as dismal as they were last year, So I think that bodes well to eventually have Rob Clink could probably include that second pick, which seems to be the be all and end all for another team. Yeah, the talk was Miles Turner and Buddy Healed. But this talk the sneaking in here of Josh Richardson from the San Antonio Spurs and what about Yaka Purdle being added to that pack. Nice because put ad to that to the four and it's prim protector. If fits well, and Yaka Purdle is helping out the San Antonio Spurs, there's no doubt. But eventually I think he's not really on the timeline. With the Spurs. You got Victor Webbin Yama coming. They hope to take his center spot. Those two salaries combined nowhere close to West Westbrooks, so they'd have to do something. It only adds up to twenty in Westbrook, way over forty, so they have to be, you know, within ten. A third or fourth team would have to But but I liked that idea, and obviously Westbrook and pop not a good combination Westbrook Greg Popovich. But again, it would be more about the draft picks the Spurs want to build. I think those are vets essentially, and Josh Richardson and Yaka Pearl that would add to the Lakers, and maybe and maybe the Spurs and varciy Buford would do it for one.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe, but it would be very hesitant if the framework of a trade is Pearl and Josh Richardson to give up two future first round picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's why.
Speaker 1: I know you want to help your team and you want to help Lebronze chances to win. But do those guys really take them to it one?
Speaker 3: No, That's that's why I think the price is cheaper. And it wouldn't be two picks. It could be one.
Speaker 2: Trey what do you think you think that you get Doug McDermott as well, Yeah, he would help, He would help. This was the thing that really stuck out to me from this article. The Lakers appear determined to give the current roster a proper sample size of twenty to twenty five games and assess their needs. We know what their needs are. They need lasers, they need shooters. Yeah, so it's twenty to twenty five games too long?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: To wait? That feels like a long time, a quarter of the season. Your team ain't that different than it was last year. You needed the same things last year, So why so long?
Speaker 1: This because Rob Polinka wants to enjoy the holidays.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: That's what he's coming Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, loves it. He's going as Rob Low this year. He's got his NFL pop it on Low again. He won as the guy from Parks and Recreation that one year he went is the guy from Waynesboro.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 2: That was really good. He he loves Halloween, but he should love trading Russell Westbrook because right now it feels like it's gonna be Westbrook or they're gonna somehow find a way to blame this on Darvin Ham because you see his name appearing a lot in this article, and some talk about he said he was going to send Russell Westbrook to the bench. As we've seen, Russell Westbrook is not on the bench. He's still playing crunch time for the most part. He's still handling the ball in crunch time. That's gonna eventually come down on Darvin Ham if Russell Westbrook sticks around and plays the way he has been. I don't necessarily I'm with you, Skeets Pearl Richardson McDermott. They're probably not taking you over the edge, but you're just doing the exact same thing you did last year if you don't try something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, nice nice ad in of McDermott as well, because he immediately addresses something. Mean he had a four to three point game on the weekend, and he's not on the timeline of the Spurs as well. He's over thirty. Surprisingly.
Speaker 1: All right, those are the headlines. Let's get to pick them from last night. I cannot find a w I took Denver because I was like, well, Task is on fire, I'm just gonna back him. They were favored by two and a half in Portland. Trey swerved because because like me, hates to see the same logo three times on a graphic. And it worked out for you. What a win for the Blazer. So Task four and one, you're two and three, I'm one and four. What's tonight's game? Only four games on tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we got a great one. Golden State and Phoenix, Baby, why the heck not? That's on TNT as part of their double header. Golden State going into Phoenix. Phoenix favored by two and a half points. But Tray and I think Golden State will take care of business. They got two points to play with it and lose by two or win this game Skeets taking Phoenix to win by three or more. Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I brought up VR. What's going on with jay Crowder too? Once he get moved? Who's training for jay Crowder? The Hawk going due the Bucks?
Speaker 3: I yeah, our man JD through this in our slack channel stream live NBA games in VR a la carte starting February twenty third.
Speaker 2: February, what do you run?
Speaker 1: Polinka?
Speaker 5: And then if you look, it's that article is from twenty seventeen. Proven they've given up on I think they've given that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're like no, they're like, they're like the only guy talking about VR is this guy named Task on this podcast. He kept talking about the big popcorn. He didn't even care about the game.
Speaker 3: No, it was cool. I was getting virtual high fives. Listen, every company is spreading themselves thin here in twenty two even the NBA, a multi billion dollar enterprise, got it's gotta cut the fat somewhere. You know what's happening to her friends at Peloton, It's happening everywhere. You gotta cut.
Speaker 5: Speaking of circling back, our man Jerome through this in the Smile meat ball ball.
Speaker 1: Thank you Jerome. Honestly, that was no sarcasm. Thank you Jerome for this incredible graphic.
Speaker 4: It's the it's the calender on the head with the spaghetti hair and then the meatball as a ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Is it just just a chef's kiss. Awesome touch? Thank you?
Speaker 3: What do you see your meatball, spaghetti and a calender.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It'd be fun if somebody in the stream team of course, or listening or watching them, went out this year on Halloween dressed is exactly this. Yeah, and see if you get any reaction, try and find a No Dunks fan. That's what you would be doing.
Speaker 3: What are you.
Speaker 1: Great costume?
Speaker 3: This is my friend. Meet? Oh, nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Meet.
Speaker 3: Why don't you meet meat bull? Bull? And his legs are thin. They kind of look like chopsticks as well. I like eating my pasta with chopsticks sometimes I never had, but.
Speaker 2: Why not really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know noodles. You have a robin. I never thought it just just sits on there. It's lovely. Good for you, good for me, Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to tweet of the night.
Speaker 3: Tweet O the night.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: As I said a little bit earlier, there was a bit of a brew haha, A little bit of a suckus on the Houston Rockets bench last night. Oh yeah yeah. If you saw Jalen Green got into it with Jabari Smith Junior and the great Jasmine Watkins pointed this out. She was watching the game. You saw that Jabari Smith Junior win at Jalen Green a little beef right there. But Eric Gordon, Rockets teammate, wants nothing of it. He's just sitting there, just just watching it happen. And then she attached the photo, I do my work, I go. Eric Gordon's just saying I'm here to just just, you know, play the game and believe that I don't want none of this drama. Well done by Jasmine Watkins, who is a great follow, an absolute great follow on Twitter. Yeah, Eric Gordon doesn't want it, doesn't want to get into this.
Speaker 2: Smith like the fire.
Speaker 1: I like the fire. And Jalen Green man, he's I love him. It's gotta be a little difficult to play with as a teammate.
Speaker 3: Tell me more.
Speaker 1: Man, that guy is focused on his own shot and he takes a lot of shots where you're like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: But this could have been good. This could have been good. Yes, they got the win. Jabari Smith's best as a rook by far. Yeah, twenty one and ninety. Yeah, I'd been struggling through his first three games. So yeah, their first one of the season. Yeah, beating an undefeated Utah Jazz team. This is good for them. Although, yeah, the Jalen Green thing, and Jalen.
Speaker 1: Had twenty five last night, shot a good percentage hit threes. He just he just when you watch I've watched a lot of rockets here early in the season as they are a fun team to watch. Yeah, and they obviously have had a lot of young talent on this team. And I really do love young Green. I think he's actually one of the coolest looking guys.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love his look.
Speaker 1: But he just comes down and just takes these shots. Really, whoa what he man? You guys can get a better shot than this. He just he checks himself.
Speaker 2: He doesn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a bucket getter, I get it. But a little two aggress of the times and maybe I don't know if that's what was going on. I don't know if that could have been a defensive laps.
Speaker 3: It's easy to read into that and say oh, shoot too much. Yeah, maybe maybe, but Eric Gordon sitting there, he's the type of guy that you want. The only guy really that's playing. That's a vet as far as I know. I mean, they're so young. Boba Maranovitch was hanging out there. You saw him and the getting getting between Jalen Green because he is the I mean they brought. They're happy to have him on the roster to be a peacemaker. But yeah, they they they lacked the veterans, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: A Joel here in the stream team points out, maybe Green wanted to show up for all the Filipinos in attendance last night. Yeah, I know he did something after the game where he went and did like a little, uh little hang session with them there on the floor. There's a lot a lot of Filipinos there, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's heritage and I yeah, saw a lot of local restaurant owners. That was great. They they honored them. That was great. That great moment. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Excellent. All right, let's call it there, guys, knew no breaks coming up later today Trey and Great and breaking down the F one race in Austin one o'clock pm Eastern No Breaks has its own YouTube feed. You can join them live there on YouTube or subscribe to No Breaks wherever you download and listen to your podcast. Leave your boys five star rating and review when it comes to the No Dumbs podcast here would really appreciate that. And we'll be back tomorrow, only four games. On tonight, we could do a little bit of a sort of a look back on one week of NBA basketball because after tonight that'll be official. So if you've got a question you want us to tackle, get them in.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I would say we've played seven days already, that's a week.
Speaker 1: Could have done it today.
Speaker 3: You're saying, yeah, we'll do it tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We had all those great headlines that I found though.
Speaker 3: No, oh, you did a great job finding those headlines. Those are good topics. It was a nice, nice Monday.
Speaker 1: Today's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: No, but it was a Monday vault of topics.
Speaker 1: I'd say, all right until tomorrow, Clipper Broth.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: And remember Hoffman Estates is the Hampton's of the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Brace the day people,