Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour. In this Monday, we'll hear from the Arkansas head coach John Caliperry, Bill Simmons on loan from the Ringer to talk about his Celtics documentary. This hour brought to you by Rapid Radio's official walkie talkie of the DP Show, offering national LTE coverage no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for your kids or parents. We use them on the show. Go to Rapid radios dot com get sixty percent off and free shipping. Eight seven seven three DP show Best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like?
Speaker 3: Seaton?
Speaker 2: What's the poll question we're going to go with in the final hour of this program. Yeah, we've been doing We got a couple of them up there right now. Some of them we've been getting some suggestions for. But let's see what you have called the traveling violation at the end of the Maryland Colorado State Gamekay. Right now, fifty six percent of the audience are saying no, okay, no, they wouldn't have what I watched initially, I was, I was comfortable with it, and I don't have any you know, dog in the fight. I just it's weird. How what is allowable now? And you almost have to train your eye to go. No, it's like James Harden. He taught us to train our eye. And you could go back to whether it was sharonas Marshall Onas who played for Golden State. You know these European players coming in with the euro step. Okay, you had to train your eye with that initially. But you know that's one of the few buzzer beaters that we've had. It's been not exactly March Madness. I think the suggestion was march me miss all right, we'll get to more phone calls coming up. Coach cal will join us as well. A little bit of football news, Aaron Rodgers meeting with the Steelers on Friday. I don't think there was any other information other than I think it was eight hours that they met with Aaron Rodgers. And the Giants have had Jamis Winston, but that doesn't take them out of the running for a quarterback in the first round. You're probably going to have three quarterbacks taken. Jaln Milroe and if you go back to during the season when my source who's an NFL scout, said, there's Lamar Jackson feel about Jalen Milroe, the Alabama quarterback. He ran a four to three forty at that size. Somebody going to find a way to take him. I don't know if he's an end of the first round, maybe second round. He's going to be a project. Jackson Dart's going to go in the first round. And if I'm going to circle the team, I would circle. Okay, I'll let you guys play the guessing game here, So guess the team that I think will take Jackson Dart, the Old Miss quarterback, in the first round. Todd, I'm going to start with you Cleveland, all right, seton the team that will take Jackson Dart in the first round. Oh and how about I'll go down a little further.
Speaker 4: Maybe Indianapolis, Okay, Marvin, the Miami Dolphins, all right, Paul, the way you're pumping.
Speaker 5: This up, I'm going with the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Pittsburgh Stealer. Come on, how about that Pittsburgh Steelers number twenty one. I think we'll take Jackson Dart in the first round. Maybe I have Aaron Rodgers there, maybe he can help him mentor Jackson Dart. Jackson Dart looks like a first round draft pick like he and he's got a star name too. That's a good name to be a quarterback. I'm Jackson Dart. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If it was in a movie, though, I'd be like, this movie is so stupid, Like, can't you just give him a real name, Jackson Dart?
Speaker 2: Nobody would ever be named to that Live on NBC Golf Channel, streaming on Peacock and the Texas Children's Houston and Open. That'll be coming up at the next week. That's on Golf NBC and Peacock. A couple of phone calls in here Sean in Indianapolis. I Sean, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 6: Best and worst of the weekend? It has to be the shot of the tournament with Liam McNeely of Yukon hitting my over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then the worst is the worst is just the officiating and the reviews at the end of the games just making it take forever and it just it just takes the excitement out of the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. And I don't know if it feels like every year we kind of complain about the same things of how it's called uh, you know, swallow a whistle. You know the big teams, you know, the favorites they get called. I mean we do this all the time. Ye see.
Speaker 4: I have a little bit of a hard time with my brain reconciling the idea. I'd rather them just get the call wrong and do it quicker, then take a second and get it right.
Speaker 2: I really have a heart.
Speaker 4: I get the flow of everything, but like may, can't we just get the calls wrong and just have it move along faster.
Speaker 2: And I'd brought this up to fans before that, you know, they're like, oh, thanks forever. It's not instant replay. I go, yeah, I know. But their job is to get it right. If they give you the technology to do it right. It's like you go into the SAT and they give you can have a calculator for the SAT. So it'd be like if you went in and you go, uhh, I don't I don't want the essay, I'm not going to use my calculator. They give you all the tools to be able to get the call right. It's when they don't get it right, when they've used replay, that's when I have a problem. But the stoppage. Yes, But as Seaton says, if I said to you, hey, they're totally going to blow this call against your team and you're going to get bounced from the tournament. But they're going to do it real quick. Are you okay with that?
Speaker 4: It's going to happen in a nice quick manner, like yeah, heck, yeah, great, that's exactly what I want. Yeah, forget about the technology to get it right, even if it takes an extra thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: I don't want that. Yeah, Jerry in Austin, Texas, Hi, Jerry, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan sixty sturdy tool five. I got a comment, a request, and a best and worst to feel allowed.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, best and.
Speaker 8: Worst Michigan State making it to the Sweet sixteen. Thank god, man, I love that. But worst is that my brackets busted because I had Saint John's like a lot of people. Yeah, and Patino call in it, but he didn't make it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Rick was not in a good mood at the end of the game. Thank you for the phone call there, Jerry. He was asked by a reporter the following question, You had.
Speaker 3: RJ on the bench, you know, for a pretty long stretch at the end.
Speaker 9: Was that just because he just didn't wasn't making him or was there something more to it?
Speaker 10: I played thirty minutes. It's a long time, so he was tired. No, played thirty minutes, and I went with other people. You already know the answers, Roger, you're asking leading questions. Geordy know it, So don't ask leading questions. Geordy know why he didn't play?
Speaker 3: Was there one play with ARJ that made you sit him the last five minutes?
Speaker 10: You know he was three for seventeen. You know he was oh for three, So you're answering your own I'm not going to knock one of my.
Speaker 2: Players, although you just recited his stats and that I don't know what he played thirty minutes. And then the reporter goes, was he tired? No, he was not, So what's the thirty minutes mean? He had his chance to prove himself and he didn't do it in thirty minutes, And as a reporter, you have to ask that question. This is the biggiest player of the year. And as Jay Billis pointed out, and I said the same thing in the first town, take it to the hoop. You had some guys in found trouble. Get inside. Hey, my jumper is not dropping. Can you dribble? Can you get to the hoop? Can you put some pressure on them? Can you get some you know, fouls called? I just didn't understand that, Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 9: Yeah, my biggest player of the her is playing forty one minutes. Yeah, I know there's forty minutes. He's playing. More than that, he's playing every single second. It's the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: He would have all this week to rest. But I just didn't understand.
Speaker 9: That, Like in living and dying with your players that got you to this spot.
Speaker 2: Bob and Florida. Hi, Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: So can you hear me?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 2: I can, Bob.
Speaker 11: Okay, I needed a microphone desk. My best, I got a best and the worst for you, and I also got a stand of the day for you. So stand of the Day, pick the theme you want to use the stat of the day after I give you my best and horse. Okay, Dad, thanks for calling back. My best is the cyclones. My cyclones got it with they had ten points but about two minutes to go. But my worst is they still lost.
Speaker 6: Okay that stand of the day, Dad.
Speaker 2: All right. Uh, go ahead, real quick, give me your stat of the day.
Speaker 11: All right. My stant of the day is watching the Tennessee women on Gute and they put a stant up that said that Tennessee made one hundred and twenty two substitutions on the first half. Apparently there were substituting five players at a time.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Bob. We'll keep an eye on that. Jerry and Cincinnati. Hi, Jerry, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: DP?
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my Callim Colling about Sean Miller. I'm Xavier Alumm and a fan thirty years after being a stepping stone for the past twenty years, and all these coaches leaving familiar programs, this is the first time I'm not but heard about it. R Nile budget for the athletic Department's three point one million Texas is probably twelve fifteen million. If Sham Miller wouldn't the left, I'd be like, dude, what are you doing? Get out of here now?
Speaker 2: I get it. I just Xavier gave him a chance after what happened in Arizona. I know, once again, I'm very naive that I believe in loyalty, or at least a little bit of loyalty here. But that's why I have no sympathy for these coaches like ah anil transfer portal gonna drive me out of the business. Okay, you guys use the transfer portal to take jobs all the time, and you guys are getting well compensated. So stop. I mean, it's it's the wild Wow West out there. We can all agree with that, but who allowed it to get to the wild Wow West. The players didn't have any control. They found loopholes. That's it. Not going to compensate, not going to compensate. I would hear this even when I was playing. I would get the you know how much an education cost? Yes, yes I do, but they put in I mean, it's a full time job being a football or basketball player at to major university. It just is, Yeah, you're getting a free education. But you're trying to tell me that what Johnny Manziel gave to his alma mater was just an education. That's it. I mean, let's not be naive with it. Everybody can get paid. I wouldn't say everybody gets rich, but everybody can get paid. All right, We'll take a break, still hoping to hear from coach cown Fritzi trying to track him down. Up next, we'll talk to Bill Simmons about his documentary on the Celtics. We're back after this from the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 2: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 12: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Vino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk to Bill Simmons, great sports writer, podcaster, and he is the executive producer of the HBO docusearies Celtic City, the history of the team from their founding to the twenty twenty four championships. So there's a lot of great interviews in there, a lot of great footage, old archival footage, and it premiered back on March third. It can be streamed on Max with new episodes debuting Monday nights through April twenty eighth. As we make way for Bill Simmons joining us on the program. Bill, how are you? How's morale?
Speaker 13: I'm great? Great to see it great for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, it has a better game college basketball NBA. As far as the esthetics of watching.
Speaker 14: It, you're asking the wrong person, because I love the NBA and college hoops. I have trouble with March madness. I just have trouble with especially what I grew up with in the eighties, where you felt like you got to know these guys over the course of two, three, four years, and this year, especially now in the l l era, it's just, you know, it's like a fantasy draft where you just reset the rosters every year. So I think that combined with the style of play, Like I went to two NBA games this weekend, Lakers, Bulls, and the Bulls were incredible. Okay, see Equippers last night, which was like a Round three playoff game, and that I was really impressed by the Quippers, how good they were. And you go to games like that and you watch college and it just to me just feels like such an inferior product. So I think unless unless you went to one of these colleges, you grew up rooty for them, or you just have a major gamly problem, it's fine. March madness is fine, but I'm still taking the.
Speaker 2: NBA when it comes to awards, and I got to vote on these. I'm sure you probably got to vote on NBA awards. And the MVP is always a tricky one. And I got criticized because I didn't vote for Barkley and didn't vote from alone when they won, I voted for Jordan. I think, you know, seven or eight years in a row.
Speaker 13: History has remembered you. Finally for that one.
Speaker 2: I think it wasn't a stretch to do that. But like Joker, Joker is not going to win the MVP, but he is the best player in the NBA SGA who didn't play well in the game. You know, the win against the Clippers is going to win. I just don't know, are we do we follow the Academy Awards. Hey, it's your turn, your time to win something. Are we doing that with awards or have we been doing that with awards?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I mean I would probably put myself in the highest percentile of people who stupidly care about.
Speaker 13: This the most.
Speaker 14: Like even when I wrote Mysketball book, I did a whole chapter about the MVP and tried to correct every injustice every year on the pod the last four or five weeks of the season, I'm trying to grind it out and make sure you get to the right place with somebody. I think the difference this year is SGA is incredible and I actually think he's now becoming a little bit underrated, Like he's having I think one of the best scoring seasons in the history of the guard position. Like what he's doing this year, you can put against any Jordan regular season, you can put against. It's as good as any Kobe season or better except for two thousand and six. It's up there with West. It is one of the best guard scoring seasons of all time. And he's doing it night after night after night. And the thing that I care about, and you know, right now, with twelve games left.
Speaker 13: I think I'm going to vote for him.
Speaker 14: The thing I care about is every time he goes against whoever one of the other best guys in the league is, he's either better than them or is equal to them, right, So that matters. The fact that his team is the best team in the league and he's the centrifugal force of that. That the fact that I haven't seen really anybody stop him, even last night at the Quipper game. I know what his box score was, but I went to the game like it was just one of those nights, like it was the ball was just rolling around the rim, bouncing out like he couldn't buy a break the whole night, he was still getting the shots he wanted.
Speaker 13: So I think he's been awesome.
Speaker 14: I am probably the number one Joker cheerleader anyone in the mainstream media. I just think he's one of the best ten to twelve players of all time.
Speaker 13: And he's certainly the best player of this generation.
Speaker 14: But you know, I don't know what if OKC wins sixty nine seventy games and SGA's gonna average thirty three a game and have fifty to thirty point games and do all the stuff he's doing.
Speaker 13: I think it's a fair one. I think it's the right vote.
Speaker 2: You think Joker's already one of the twelve best players in the history of the game.
Speaker 14: I think he's definitely he's at least moved into that class, you know, And this is another thing I probably care about too much, and I redo my pyramid every year with the Tears, and I'm a huge loser. But he's at least in that group with Jakeem and Shaq and Moses in that kind of territory.
Speaker 13: And I think when you're.
Speaker 14: Talking about the best offensive players year after year who can both get their stats and make everybody better. To me, he's in the bird magic area offensively, and I mean you know me well enough Dan to know like I wouldn't say that lightly, but when you think like he can, how he can elevate his teams, the stats that he just gets to night after night, like just the experience of watching him day to day where it's like he'll just put up a thirty five twenty and fifteen and we're like, WHOA a big game for the Joker last night.
Speaker 13: We're almost like numb to it at this point.
Speaker 14: So, yeah, he's I think he's one of the best offensive players I've ever seen. So yeah, could he win three MVPs in five years or war? I'm not sure it matters. I just think he's in the combo now.
Speaker 2: Historically, yeah, we're talking to Bill Simmons and the show HBO docu series on Max Celtics City. When did the idea first start? The genesis of it.
Speaker 14: Might have been before COVID or right around COVID, when we found out the Lakers were doing a multi part thing for somebody, and you know, the Boston thing kicked in immediately got competitive or like, well we got to come up with a better one than theirs. Theirs is already coming gone. But you know, we I got together with Connor, who I created thirty for thirty with, and just try to figure out, like, man, if one of these franchise things was ever going to work, because obviously there's going to be a few of them that are done. This is probably the one with the highest upside because you can tell the story of eight decades of the NBA. You can tell a lot of things about America through the Celtics, you know, whether you talk about race or drugs or business or the evolution of the NBA, things like that, and then the characters and I found out I'm sure you felt the same way. During the last Dance. I was shocked by how little people knew about anything before the two thousands, about the NBA. It's almost like most people felt like the NBA started when Shaq and Kobe had the Three Peet so like they had the Rodman episode in the last Dance, and the people in my life were like, wow, that Dennis Rodman. He was crazy, huh, And I'm like, what, Like, you don't remember this. So we just felt like there was such an upside with the whole Celtics story going from Koozy to Russell and you know, all the way through the seventies and how it intersected with Boston was a big thing because it's a story about the Celtics.
Speaker 13: And the city.
Speaker 14: But now, like the One Tonight, it's really that there's three straight kind of Bird era episodes in a row, and the one Tonight is about Boston and Philly in the early eighties and Bird kind of ascending, and it's like, this is the first one where I feel like, if you're probably under maybe sixty, or maybe you're over I don't know, over twenty five, you're gonna remember all the aspects of this. And then from people under twenty five, I think they're going to enjoy it. So it's been an amazing project to work on.
Speaker 2: I don't know how tricky this was for you. Maybe that's not the right word, but you want to get a mass audience with this. You know that it's regional with the Celtics, but you want to make it national. The race part of it with Bill Russell when the Celtics is very very powerful, But how do you factor in making this for maybe mass appeal or the casual basketball fan.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you're trying to do both, and it's also an old school documentary.
Speaker 14: I don't there's not a lot of these long multi partiers anywhere on the and the HBO model I think actually favors us because one of the ways documentaries and docuseries have changed this decade is they most of the places dump all of them at once, right.
Speaker 13: And you just binge it, and you're binging it and you're also doing something else, and you know, you can just zoom through something and whatever.
Speaker 14: Maybe you watch six episodes of something and you really only concentrate for half of it. I think in this case, like we're making nine one hour movies here, we're trying to tell a bigger story than just hey, here's the Celtics and was this game incredible?
Speaker 13: Like we're really trying to dive into some stuff, and.
Speaker 14: Especially how a franchise intersects with a city and a country, you know.
Speaker 13: So I think for us, we just I felt this way when we.
Speaker 14: Did you know, the first thirty thirty for thirties and some of the other stuff I worked on, Like, if something's good enough, people are gonna find it.
Speaker 13: So I think that was our mission this whole time. Can we make this good enough?
Speaker 14: That somebody is going to be suspicious of it and say, maybe, eh, I don't mean to see that. I don't really care about the Celtics, like care about basketball. You're gonna enjoy watching this, like and I think that's.
Speaker 13: The spot we got to.
Speaker 2: But also I go back to the first time I went to the Ballard. So I'm working at CNN, Celtics are in the NBA Finals, and all of a sudden, you walk into that building and okay, it's esthetically not pleasing. It was, you know, a dump, but you felt like it was a stage. Like it was a Broadway stage when I when I was growing up, seventy six or Celtics on Sunday afternoon. The way the building was lit, it just looked like a Broadway show. Yeah, I just I could not wait to shoot hoops on that floor. And I would go there three hours early. Bird would be in there, whether he's shooting or he'd run. You'd run around the upper deck and I would just wait until he was done. And if that ball was out there, I went over it absolutely absolutely, And so I was very fortunate that you know, you had Magic and Bird being there. When Magic hits the skyhook and so when I see it, it brings back the memories of and maybe I didn't appreciate it as much I loved it, but even looking back, it was I mean, that was unbelievable rivalries, unbelievable talent, and the personalities, the characters, the all time greats that came out of those matchups. I just I loved reminiscing about it, and it gave me I'd look forward to the Bird episodes because I got to spend a lot of a lot more time with Larry than I thought I was going to. But that was the fun part of it. I don't know when you first said I love this, this team is me. It's my DNA.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean my dad got one season ticket in the seventy three seventy four season. He's had him ever since, so it's I think he's like the fifth oldest season ticket older. So he would carry me in when I was a kid. And then eventually we got two tickets right before Bird showed up. But we went to the triple overtime game, which we covered in episode three. And yeah, I think one of the cool things about the seventies and eighties, first of all, in the fifties and sixties, basketball was it was.
Speaker 13: A minor league sport, but it was.
Speaker 14: It was the fourth sport. Baseball was the biggest. Football was right there behind it, and honestly, hockey was bigger than basketball. They created basketball because the hockey owners wanted to fill their buildings on the days where they didn't have hockey. So it took, you know, fifteen twenty years. They had a bunch of weird racial quotas and a bunch of like pretty unseemly stuff, and it wasn't really until the mid sixties that the league started becoming the league. You go into the seventies and it was still pretty rinky dank for the most part. Right, they had the one TV contract, the ABA showed up, so some of the players weren't even in the league. And you know, in that trip ol t game, it started at nine to seventeen at night. The Boston fans said, they're all blue collar fans, they'd been out since four in the afternoon, and they're hammered, and you know it was they charged the quarter after second overtime, one guy jumped the referee like that's just what the era was like. And then as you you go to the eighties and the nineties, the league starts to shift. Jordan shows up, All Star Weekend, Stern Bird versus Magic, and it kind of rounds into where we end up in the nineties. But it took a long time to get there, and there were people like us that really loved the league. But it was, you know, a contrary opinion. To tell somebody your favorite sport was the NBA, it was like, what really? And now it seems like they have probably the most famous players out of any sport. It's not the biggest league, but I think they have the most famous players.
Speaker 2: Who was your favorite interview in this docu series?
Speaker 13: You know, I was stunned by how good Robert Parrish was.
Speaker 14: I think when you do these and we interviewed like one hundred people, you're always hoping for a couple ones you didn't expect. And Parish was somebody who was pretty quiet when he played to called them that they nick them the chief after the guy in the one floor over was in Cuckoo's nest who never talked, but he just had a lot of like forty year of pent up stuff to say, and he was really charismatic. And you do these things all right. Part of the issue we had was a lot of the people from the first three episodes weren't alive anymore, you know, and so.
Speaker 13: You're cheating with different old footage.
Speaker 14: And our director of Laurence still did a great job kind of weaving footage of people who weren't around anymore and making it seem at least a little lively. And once we get into the eighties, then we have everybody, you know, so like Michao Parrish, we got Larry, all these guys, all these guys are great, and then you know, we got KG. Was probably the last one we got because I think he was a little maybe suspicious of the thing and you're not going to move this. But kg's interviews of Basic that was the other one where he's just he's just like that at all times.
Speaker 13: So you just turn a camera on and he's KG.
Speaker 2: But Isaiah didn't want to do it.
Speaker 14: Now we're you know, and I know Isaiah, and I knew why he didn't want to do it. I think he felt, you know, I think the Last Dance and some other sports documentaries that have happened over the last ten years, nobody wants to be in somebody else's doc when they're like the other team in the sports movie, right, like when we the first thirty thirty thirties we did we get anybody, you know, and people say, Hey, we're doing this documentary, can we come film?
Speaker 13: You're sure?
Speaker 14: And that started a shift in the mid twenty tens. And I get it, you know, like if somebody was making a documentary about ESPN, I don't know if I'd want to be in it, you know, I don't know how, And I'm sure you would feel the same way, like, wait, how am I going to be portrayed?
Speaker 13: So I get it.
Speaker 14: But it also makes these things a little bit harder and an increase the degree of difficulties.
Speaker 13: So we didn't have We didn't have Barkley either.
Speaker 14: Barkley will talk to like, you know, a lamppost about basketball, but some of the people that are the on the other side, they just don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: Congrats on it so far, Bill, good to catch up with you again. Thanks for joining.
Speaker 13: Yeah, good to see you too. Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's Bill Simmons. He is bringing you Celtic City. He's the executive producer HBO and tonight another episode and it'll be going through April twenty eight, We'll take a break Arkansas head coach Dohn Calliperry. Next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: John Caliperi Hall of Famer Beat Kansas Beat Saint. John's got Texas Tech coming up this Thursday. Back on the show, Back in the sweet sixteen, Look who is Look who proved he could still coach? Congratulations there, John, Thank you Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: That's the ugliest top I've seen in the Wow. It befits you though, So it's it's it's good.
Speaker 2: Well what's uglier your sport coat from this weekend?
Speaker 3: Or like that sport coat?
Speaker 2: Hey, you won with it. It looks a whole lot better when you win. And this is this is a gift from Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: This is Yeah, you're out hitting golf bolls. But do you would you? Would you? I think it's in the bag to go this weekend, that sport coat. Yeah, it's in the bag.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll travel with it. Okay. And when you're done with it, maybe you could send it to the man cav I will I'll.
Speaker 3: Deliver it to the cabin in Maine. Okay, I'll hand deliver it.
Speaker 2: Are you an underdog?
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, I'm fine with that. Like, look, most of my career was should and Wooden can't, won't. I mean we've been the underdog. You remember you match, you came up and did some games, you went on the court, shot air balls and you know some of the stuff there, and the Memphis the same thing, and you know, we had a pretty good run at Kentucky and there was that eight nine year period where yeah we were the one. But you know, most of my career I've been that and so I'm fine in that role. I'm comfortable in the role. I'm just trying to make sure my team miscomfortable in that role. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, are you telling them it's nobody believed in US, US against the world. No, none of them.
Speaker 7: No, I'm just saying we're the underdog, and every time they play in those kind of games, they play well. I think, look, we're at that point in the year. The whole thing is how do I get them to have that mindset that we had against Saint John's Because look, there's two things happened. We went two for nineteen from the three and gave up twenty eight offensive rebounds, but still one. We played to win. Don't matter what happens, don't matter they got a rebound. Just keep playing and we keep them in that attitude and that mindset. It doesn't mean you're going to win, but it gives you a good chance to win.
Speaker 2: How do you keep the relationship or whatever with Patino out of going into a game, coaching a game and making it about the game, that it's not about you against Rick.
Speaker 7: If you went through the year we went through when we were zero to five, when we were one and six, and they said they got no chance of making the NCA tournament. When you're playing games, you're not worried about the other coach, you're about survival. I wasn't worried about match and went no chess game. I wasn't he out coaching. I didn't care. It was about let's just win, because what these kids went through, they deserved good to happen because they came together.
Speaker 3: They became one heartbeat, and well, what did you do?
Speaker 11: What did I do?
Speaker 3: They knew if they.
Speaker 7: Didn't come together, they were gonna lose every game and they figured this, You know what, I'm so worried about myself. If I worry about the team more than myself, maybe it's easier. And they found out it was easier.
Speaker 2: How do you balance coaching right now and the transfer portal all in the same week of preparing and transfer portal starts today.
Speaker 7: Well, we yesterday was a kind of long day, got a lot of film work done, got practice plans prepared, the staff meetings where we were doing everything, and then in the end I said, all right, let's let's talk now. Before you can figure out portal, don't you have to know who's coming back and who's leaving. So I don't know of anybody in these sixteen teams that is sitting down with players and say are you coming back? Or you can put your name into portal with you know. So it's just difficult right now. But we've got names and you know. And what I would say with anybody listening, if you want to get better, if you want to be challenged, if you want to really play with good players be coached as oh, you've already gotten there to be hugged and challenged and make you uncomfortable, and then you come with me, you come to Arkansas.
Speaker 3: But right now we're not on the phone with anybody yet. My staff. Maybe I shouldn't say that. My staff may be but I'm not.
Speaker 2: When will you be open or paying more attention to the portal yourself.
Speaker 7: If there's a young man that we know is really, really good and he wants to do this and wants to talk to me, he won't believe this, I probably get on the phone with them and say, hey, let's do this. But short of that, it's probably mostly staff. You know.
Speaker 3: My hope is that we have a group We have some guys that won't.
Speaker 7: Be back because they're graduated out or they're going to, you know, put their name in the draft and all that, but there is another grouping of players who are really good that probably need more time that we do that. We already have three guys freshmen signed. And I'm gonna say this again, and I said it after I'm still recruiting freshmen. I'll recruit the best freshmen. And as you saw last game, three of them played a lot of minutes. But I can't recruit seven or eight freshmen. So we got one more freshman. We're trying to get we've.
Speaker 3: Got three one that you know, they're they're all really good.
Speaker 7: Okay, but we're trying to get one more and then who comes back, and then probably a couple of transfers, and that'll be our team.
Speaker 2: Is the SEC of football conference or a basketball conference.
Speaker 7: You're trying to get me in trouble. Last time I said something like that stuff, people went nuts. And then you find out that you know, they're investing in what they want.
Speaker 3: So I look it.
Speaker 7: I told our baseball coach, who's there were number one in the country, and you know right there, they're gonna win a College World Series. Every game they played every weekend, they knew they could win or lose. What about the football you want to say, Vandy, Well we got Vandy. Yeah, go play Vandy, go play them. Now, well we could play Mississippi. Yeah, go play Mississippi, Play Arkansas Tennessee, and you get beat. I mean that's what happens. Well it's now basketball the same way, and its top to bottom. Our bottom two teams would have figured finished in the top half of most leagues.
Speaker 3: They were that good. But they got into this league and they started.
Speaker 7: It was like Oklahoma when thirteen and oh beat people got in the league and couldn't win early. We were zeroing five to start, and I knew we weren't bad. I wasn't sure, but five and we survived it. And now it looks as though how many SEC teams are in the sweet sixteen seven you don't know?
Speaker 2: Ask your people seven. Okay, Yeah, you underestimate me. And that's when you make a mission.
Speaker 3: Always under it.
Speaker 2: Yes you have, and I've always overestimated you. Uh finish this. We will make the final four.
Speaker 3: If the other team doesn't make twenty threerees.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Well, don't screw it up. Now you got this far. You got to go further than Kentucky, don't you.
Speaker 7: No, not worried about them. This is what's happened for us. This season has been the most rewarding season. I've had seasons where we won more games and won national titles and final.
Speaker 3: Fours and Elite eights.
Speaker 7: I've had all those, But what this team has been through to survive it, it's been as rewarding as any season. It talks a lot about the character of these kids, how they were raised, that they could withstand the onslaught Dan. These kids all of them have pianos on their backs because of nil.
Speaker 3: Well, they're paid, they should do this, and they're trying to.
Speaker 7: Live up to expectations. It's a piano. Families are involved more than ever before.
Speaker 3: Why nil?
Speaker 7: And then social media and you know what the worst is for the kids talk radio. I mean, all that stuff is out there that they got to deal with and then the expectations are winning pianos on their backs.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Thanks Danny.
Speaker 7: I need to know the cabin. Do you have a studio in the cabin in case you want to do it up there?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I knew it. I knew it. Do you let your guys come up and stay or do they got to go to a hotel?
Speaker 2: No, they don't get invited. It's like Mike right, you're very selfish.
Speaker 3: But you know what's great, You've been consistent your whole life.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you. Coach John Caliperi, Arkansas head coach. All right, this day and sports history, Paulie, what do you have for me?
Speaker 5: Still soca?
Speaker 2: That one?
Speaker 5: In nineteen thirty six, the Detroit Red Wings beat the Montreal Maroons one zero. First goal not scored until the sixth overtime period of the Stanley Cup semifinal.
Speaker 2: That's a weird one.
Speaker 5: Muhammad Ali in nineteen seventy five knocked out Chuck Webner in the fifteenth round. That propelled that into the movie Rocky Down.
Speaker 2: The Road that Chuck Webner went fifteen rounds. You know what I did over the weekend. I went to Wiston, Maine. That's where the Ali Liston fight was held in nineteen sixty five. And I'm part of a documentary on Muhammad Ali. They're building a statue of him in Lewiston. There's no other statue in America of Muhammad Ali, but they're going to be putting up a statue at the end of May. Part of a great group doing a documentary on that fight in Lewiston, Maine. And some of the footage interviews are really really remarkable. Let me see if I have nineteen eighty Louisville beat UCLA its first NCUBA championship, and most of these on this date have to do with winning chan Cincinnati beat Ohio State to win its second straight NCUBLEA championship. All right, let me see, let's go around the room. What we learned on the program Tod did you learn anything today?
Speaker 11: I did.
Speaker 4: With the lack of cinderellas in the top seeds advancing, It's kind of March Chalkie Madness.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're gonna stay with that wall to Wallston to finish, Satan. What did you learn today? More like March Marvin? What did you learn today?
Speaker 9: Bill Simmons cares about MVP awards?
Speaker 2: Yeah he does. It is Marv Madness, by the way, Sure, yes it is. I got to get my sweatshirt, my Marv Madness sweatshirt. Paulie, would you learn today? Coach cal sticking with the sport code? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 2: Todd? What did I learn on today's program?
Speaker 6: Except for maybe the Duchies in Florida, Maryland?
Speaker 9: They have the best starting five, the crab five, but they have no depth?
Speaker 2: Yeah they don't. The starters scored seventy of the seventy two points that they scored. Let me see anything else. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. Go to Danpatrick dot com. Everything's on sale at a great price for you. A lot of great gifts there at Danpatrick dot com. Have a great day. We look forward to talking to you tomorrow.