Speaker 1: Native Plan Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Well Come, well come, well come, well come, well come.
Speaker 3: Come, Welcome home, everybody. This is Angela Rye, Andrew Gillim and Tiffany Cross. You are tuned into this week's mini pod.
Speaker 4: There is something deeply rooted and special and sentimental about the the quote unquote cookout for us, and we always say like who's invited to the cookout? Who's not invited to the cookout? And it's so true because there's you have to have a certain understanding and community now in transparency. Before we were getting ready to record this segment and needs to start it pod and talking about I'd rather talk about.
Speaker 5: What food ain't invited, That's what I want.
Speaker 4: And Andrew said, macaroni and cheese made on the stovetop. He't invited to the cookout. If it ain't, if it wasn't on three seventy.
Speaker 1: Five for an hour, we don't want it.
Speaker 4: Well, I was asking Angela, is Tim Scott invited to the cookout? And she said it depends on people that raise and his potatoes out. Yeah, well I heard on good authority. He prefers raisins in the potatos a.
Speaker 3: But I want to know what he's going to bring. So sometimes people bring nasty food to the How do you know.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna eat somebody's food at.
Speaker 6: The cook and who made it?
Speaker 3: You know what this is gonna be real shady, But it's how it looks, who made it and.
Speaker 5: How they look.
Speaker 3: So for example, for example, yeah, if you look like want to make you clean inside but you ain't clean on the outside about doing it, especially.
Speaker 6: If we know you live in a dirty house.
Speaker 5: We have a cousin, so my mom's first cousin.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but we gonna tell it all on this cookout of episode Yes, Ronda so so my cousin Ronda, who I love. Ronda has taught me how to like cook so many things growing up. Ronda is on a health cake now. So we had a big, huge cookout, but cooking because it was Christmas time. It was sixty five negroes. Wow for Christmas, celebrating the first Christmas that.
Speaker 1: My sister made up of.
Speaker 3: Okay, but for Christmas, everybody wore pajamas because Graham, if Graham could stay in pajamas all day, she would we were pajamas.
Speaker 5: We had gumbo with like it was huge and I was so tired. But Randa can cook.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Wanda, you come in and it's ten year old, your grandkids, your kids come with you making She was like, oh, I'm gonna make this tofu sweet potato pie.
Speaker 5: And this was me.
Speaker 3: I was like, so, Roanda, I love you. You brought the sweet potato tofu pie. I tried it just because, but I would really like for you to get on.
Speaker 6: It good, imagine.
Speaker 3: And she made it with honey could she's not doing sugar right now, Ronda.
Speaker 5: Please do.
Speaker 6: But for everybody else.
Speaker 1: Kick us with the potato pie.
Speaker 5: I was. I was mad.
Speaker 3: We were tired about it because she can, Like this is a cousin who can like she she could literally create.
Speaker 5: A recipe for you and it's gonna be good. And this time she could have loved that.
Speaker 4: My grandmother was like the resident cook. So every July for it was a huge deal because it was my grandfather's birthday on the fourth. My father's birthday was a sixth and my cousin eight nobody died on the floor like it's EJ speaks shout out to miss e j speaks by the way for opening the podcast for us. But I I think when everybody came over, they were Gladys was her. Gladys three was my grandmother's name, I said, But Gladys cook. She would start cooking the day.
Speaker 1: Before, right glatty three, and she would be up all day.
Speaker 4: She I would be there at her sous chef and it was like just But that was a point that we've talked about before. That was her joy feeding people. She loved to see people enjoy her food. Her potato salad was amazing. Now, I'll tell you, as I've gotten into the world, people have a lot of strong opinions about different potatoes. I had some really good different like different variations. I've had really good potato salad. I've not had too many bad potato salad experiences.
Speaker 1: But I'm mostly with you know, with people who know how to make it.
Speaker 5: What did your grandma put in her potato salad?
Speaker 1: Relish potatoes. She put green peppers in hers with.
Speaker 4: Tender potatoes, eggs, of course, mayo. She topped with paprika, and then some other stuff that she ain't showed me or tell always peprik to me as a little kid. If it ain't have red.
Speaker 7: Stuff, or my mother would slice up in addition to the eggs that would be in it. She put eggs like with slic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, necessarily it's unnecessary. Why we do it so delicious?
Speaker 6: And if it don't have it, I don't want it.
Speaker 5: I don't want it. My dad, I don't know when this started happening.
Speaker 3: I really don't like it because I'm not an olives person, but my dad likes all of my mom's starting olives on top of the potato salad.
Speaker 5: I don't need.
Speaker 4: She definitely needs to put can I just I just want to say this real because when we were talking about doing this before, I actually looked into why we eat some of the things. So I want us to know because we get grown out here in these streets and try to get bougie all of a sudden want that red soda. I used to drink that red soda, Red kool Ai, red kool A.
Speaker 5: You know what is know?
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's there, but it used to mean everybody's refrigerated.
Speaker 1: Last time I had kool Ai. I ain't do no orange slices, but I couldn't.
Speaker 5: I couldn't have.
Speaker 3: My mom would not let me have kool aid, and that the crazy thing is she would let me have Hawaiian punch though.
Speaker 1: And that's weird.
Speaker 4: Same, well, we would we would have mom sugar with a little bit of kool aid.
Speaker 1: Yes, the diabetes to.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a reason why we drink red drinks because every cookout you know, for me anyway, would have red drinks. Red was used to symbolize resilience and joy. So that's why we have a lot of red a cookout, strawberry pie, barbecue, red rice, watermelon, all those things and red drink. The color red is associated with ancestral reverence in West African traditions. It's known as bicap and Senegal sorrel yeah in the Caribbean, rosella in the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, carcade in Egypt, Agua Fresca de Jamaica and Central America. So these are traditions that carried far in the hood. These red drinks are known as high sea, Hawaiian puncha and kool aid. As we talked about, fango, faga, great red or pineapple, all those are good watermelon. When the enslaved won our emancipation during the Civil War, free black people grew eight and sold watermelons. It made that a symbol of our freedom. I love watermelon, is one of my favorite fruits. Southern whites were threatened by black's newfound freedom, and so they responded by making fruit. The watermelon symbol of black people's perceived uncleanliness and laziness and childishness. So when you are out there saying I ain't eating watermelon and I don't eat watermelon in front of white people, you are just perpetuating what they wanted you to know. I'll eat watermelon in front of anybody. I don't give watermelon make our joy our pain. And so we got to get over that fried chicken. It was common, but yet a sacred farm animal in West Africa, and white colonizers were more accustomed to eating other variations of poetry poultry rather, and so they would leave chicken as an afterthought. But in sixteen ninety two, the Virginia General Assembly outlawed slaves from owning horses and cattle and blah blah blah. So that's how we came to eat chicken. So I just thought it was like, Wow, these are actual rich traditions that we had that we participate in that we don't even know. Here's my question, though, I want to shift us off food for a second. Are you on that spade table? You had that bit with table? Or you want them Domino diamond? I don't think when are you old enough to play bid with?
Speaker 3: I want my memory of bid with? Are my aunts and uncles, great aunts and uncles to be clear cussing each other out over brown liquor playing?
Speaker 7: But we can't leave food with out. Are the traditions around New Year's Eve?
Speaker 6: Just like this? Everybody observe those.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but there are other cultures that have their traditions.
Speaker 4: But I think black eyed peas and Calli greens are us interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's not meaning to each right prosperity, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Call greens have the cookout to me, there are winter foods, but.
Speaker 3: Greens are legendary you because I have meeting them.
Speaker 5: I mean no, now I do it.
Speaker 3: I had my stock like for half of that and that that turkey. I think it's gelatinous. If it isn't get cold, it's good.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Do you like your corn breads?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you'all like your food to touch you?
Speaker 5: Like my food to touch really.
Speaker 6: And I didn't growing up. But when it comes to greens and clean it up.
Speaker 4: The corn bread, that's what you have to up and the public should compliment the corn bread.
Speaker 5: Don't have to eat meat to have.
Speaker 6: My don't hear any people who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who is and who is not invited it to cook?
Speaker 6: Can't come?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Who you who you got?
Speaker 5: Who you got?
Speaker 6: I got a couple of cousins who.
Speaker 5: They don't take it.
Speaker 6: Pert check any of them. But you'll know you know what you did.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: Working family like you know what you did.
Speaker 4: They don't deserve it might be worse than that.
Speaker 5: You know my phone number, but don't call me.
Speaker 7: All right, y'all, we're gonna take a quick break and be right back.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what's not invited. And I don't have people like I, but I do have family members. Don't you ever come to the it's a pot. Look you're gonna come with a grocery bag with can goods? Like, don't you even do it? The other thing that's a pet peeve. Some people don't feel this strongly is me. I'm like extremely obnoxious about baked the goods.
Speaker 5: If you come to the house store by like pie. I'm so offendition that you.
Speaker 6: Can get from anywhere, right.
Speaker 1: Please don't do that.
Speaker 3: If you're really gonna buy a store boy, bring a little sodas, bring you a little drinks, bring you a.
Speaker 1: Little some paper.
Speaker 5: Please don't bring me no baked goods from the store.
Speaker 6: It doesn't make any sense. It's lazy ring, lazy ring.
Speaker 1: Liquor chasers, paper products, things like that.
Speaker 3: My family, I would rather you actually not bring any liquor.
Speaker 5: Don't even beer.
Speaker 4: We just that in our family. It goes, but it's always liquor at the cookout. No, you don't have a dry cookout?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we need to.
Speaker 1: And it's all kinds of things happening at the cookouts that I go, this is what we needed.
Speaker 5: Do we need a dry one?
Speaker 1: Like oh, and okay, we can. I just really quickly. There are rules to this. So I want to give a shout out.
Speaker 4: To Cavan on stage because he actually some of the things y'all saying.
Speaker 1: He has the rules. So we're gonna play. We're gonna play. Tell him what to do. What's the rules for the cookout?
Speaker 2: Don't come at the time I tell you. The barbecue starts. If I say come, at two o'clock, show up round four five thirty seven. If you come at two, you must be wanting to have them clean up the house. If you come at too, I won't even have the barbecue call ready yet. If you come at two, I'm at the store. Don't come at two o'clock. Don't come at the time I suggest. And if you don't have anything to bring, say, man, I wish I would come in, but I ain't got enough money to bring nothing that allows me to say it's cool. Come on anyway, just make sure you come late and eat last. Don't be coming and not bring nothing. And then first person in line you sit with the kids. Number three, don't be a vegan. Not today. This is not the time to argue, Hey, could you just clean off a place of the grill from my soy burger got it from garden Farms.
Speaker 5: Get out, listen here, listen.
Speaker 1: But what is his name? Is Kevin or keveon or.
Speaker 5: I don't know oka?
Speaker 4: keV on stage and my dumb ass was thinking, thank you, SAYOK.
Speaker 6: That's family.
Speaker 7: Gatherings like that are some of the places where you really can't fake superficial.
Speaker 6: You know we're talking about because it's like, oh, is that right? Because I heard y'all was getting the divorce. That's what your mom. I'm just saying that, you know, somebody's gonna.
Speaker 5: Go into all your business where they're supposed to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, y'all still sleeping together.
Speaker 1: It's mostly old people know it is.
Speaker 6: But they take it advantage. They know better.
Speaker 5: That's what they get to.
Speaker 4: They have seen some all out brawls. Cousin Tierra, y'all know Cousin Tierra. Everybody, cousin Honey, Cousin Tierra had an experience where she was ejected and she tells us about it. Let's hear from Cousin Tierra, and then we're gonna talk about these dominoes and space.
Speaker 8: Listen, if you're that serious about the about the space game, don't ask me to play now.
Speaker 5: I've just got kicked the up of my.
Speaker 8: Grandma house, my own grandma house at family game night because I didn't know I had a die.
Speaker 5: Listen, I need y'all to understand.
Speaker 8: Everybody don't know how to play that ship who even invent at the game stage.
Speaker 6: They don't need to play that at the casino.
Speaker 5: That's not even a real game.
Speaker 6: Motherfucker want an.
Speaker 8: Uncousin me now because I first of all, what is even the word reneed?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: Where did that even come from? That sound racist as fuck to me?
Speaker 1: And the crazy part.
Speaker 8: Is we ain't even playing for no money. We is playing for bragging rights. I said I wasn't never doing that ship again last year when my strong gas cousin broke my grandma table, slamming the card down on the.
Speaker 5: Table, because what you got to be so aggressive?
Speaker 8: Fuck lizend she can not be all.
Speaker 5: I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: Invites to the good, don't dominos.
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 1: You need spectators?
Speaker 6: What isni? Where does it come from? I know what it is in the game, be my partner. I know what it means to catch some people up.
Speaker 1: But an actual word. I think we just only use it in space. I only use it in space.
Speaker 6: I've never heard otherwise.
Speaker 5: We're literally only heard us.
Speaker 6: To take it to renegotiate.
Speaker 1: It's not taken.
Speaker 5: Renig means renig expelled r E n E g E. In case you thought it was a red nigga, it's not.
Speaker 6: That's why she said, what is it exactly?
Speaker 5: Renigga? It means to retract, to withdraw.
Speaker 6: To, and what you're saying and not just saying it is.
Speaker 5: But Andrews the definition right.
Speaker 1: I can't believe we're going and was making the point that it's an actual word.
Speaker 4: Okay, well Andrews looking up renig as long as the space do you want to read the definition to.
Speaker 6: Renee gets to go back on your word or failed to keep a promise. Not quite lying. Renigging is more a centible mission to your ass down family to do what you said you would. Latin negar means.
Speaker 1: The definition.
Speaker 6: Spell n E G A R E.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody?
Speaker 4: Is there anybody who gets a special invite to the cookout who would not otherwise be I think.
Speaker 6: Bill Clinton is probably still invited.
Speaker 7: No, still, it wasn't tell me why you're given.
Speaker 4: That's what you're giving your sacred past. This is where you always are you giving your sacred pass. You get one pass, and then you're giving it to I don't think.
Speaker 6: He gets a pass. I think he would be on the invite list.
Speaker 1: He is not on the list.
Speaker 4: By definition, he gets a pass. So are you giving your sacred one pass?
Speaker 6: Because I don't think he needs it? So we here revisit revisited.
Speaker 1: Okay, what he does need it? Believe me. Are you do you have a pass that you want to give me somebody? I didn't know that we were doing this part. Who I just came up with it.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes some thought because it's it's serious.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought I was gonna give me some good answer, to give me something.
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to limit I don't want to renig on this section.
Speaker 4: I get one pass to give away to somebody outside the community.
Speaker 5: Who am I giving? Okay?
Speaker 1: And you cannot and first of all, do definitely in the community.
Speaker 5: They have to be a lie.
Speaker 4: Somebody who you're saying, yes today, this person I'm gonna invite this person to the cookout.
Speaker 1: They could be anybody.
Speaker 4: Know, it's the hard question to answer, right, it could be somebody you know personally, but they better be good.
Speaker 1: You gotta explain.
Speaker 4: And they have to remember we talk about creating safety. You want your guests to feel safe. You want them to feel that they're now your guest and you're.
Speaker 5: Host a lot of pressure exactly.
Speaker 1: That's why I want you all to take these You know, what is it?
Speaker 5: Does it have to be a white person that's invited the cookout, or somebody that we would.
Speaker 1: Want to come to our family cookout, but no, this is the proverbial cookout.
Speaker 7: Is someone that could have also been kicked off the reservation?
Speaker 1: If are you inviting somebody back?
Speaker 6: No, I'm asking as part of the rules, could it not necessarily? Yes, you're out.
Speaker 1: The council will have to if you what you asked.
Speaker 4: If there's somebody who is who's passed to the has been revoked, then yes, if you are choosing to give your sacred pass to somebody who's previously been kicked off, and you're like, you know what, I want to Clarence Thomas back right, So I want to know who this person is that you are.
Speaker 1: You talking about?
Speaker 6: And you're thinking about those people who were kicked off.
Speaker 1: She was never kicked off. She was a champion. What do you talk about?
Speaker 6: She wasn't when she when confirmation was happening.
Speaker 5: That's true, That's that's partially true.
Speaker 1: They also didn't stand with Alice Walker in the color purple.
Speaker 3: Whatever, Okay, I think mine is going to go to someone who does a lot of great work for our people. He recently signed on to Maryland Moseby's Pardon It is Barry Check. Yes, I'm winning Project Verry's Fun too.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I like that very check. Welcome to the welcome.
Speaker 5: Home and the welcome in so many of our people home every day. I like that.
Speaker 4: That was a real good one, and I still ain't came up with a good one. Well, maybe this warrants a part.
Speaker 6: Two because I don't have anybody continued.
Speaker 4: To because well, y'all, let us know, give us some ideas. Guys, when you listen to this drop of comment, let.
Speaker 5: Us not be able to come to the cookout.
Speaker 4: Let us know in the comments who should come to the cookout and who should not get an invite to the cookout.
Speaker 5: You guys, have somebody you're kicking out of the cookout.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, several people.
Speaker 5: No, just pick one so you can't do if you can only get get one. I don't.
Speaker 1: I hate to say this person. She's already been kicked out the cookout.
Speaker 5: Just say it. She can't go, she can't come.
Speaker 7: She's the first lady of a church in Jacksonville, Florida. I do not care, right, I mean, she endorsed my campaign and helped me.
Speaker 4: No she okay, well you helped her. She tried to bring it back and go to the church cookout and hang with Jesus.
Speaker 5: She said, she told.
Speaker 3: I said, now, she said at the at the at the name of Donald Trump, every nichell bow and I said, enough, that is not in the.
Speaker 5: On the podium. You can't piss on us.
Speaker 1: And when the mic, I knew she.
Speaker 6: Was gonna we're all capable of redemption.
Speaker 7: And I profit this question to you all before, like, at what point do the sense of your past forgiving it?
Speaker 5: This question? Did she ever?
Speaker 1: And asked for.
Speaker 5: He thinks that her endorsing the campaign.
Speaker 6: I think she's done so.
Speaker 5: And I want to know who you're kicking out?
Speaker 1: Who are you kicking out? Definitely not going to thoughts, not today, not.
Speaker 6: Today, saying I'm going to think about it. I have to be thoughtful about is.
Speaker 3: I think that Clarence has been gone. But if Clarence thought he was going to bring up his vote and chair vote and chair broke.
Speaker 7: Jackson was absolutely invited every day. You have to find it to But she's invited every day.
Speaker 5: You don't understand, you don't understand.
Speaker 6: I'm just not prepared to play by them.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, we guys, we have failed the assignments Ael what came up with two good ones? Will keep working, but we need your help. We need your help, so you guys please give us some guys.
Speaker 5: Who's not invited and he should be invited?
Speaker 6: Well, I'll just say Candice is not invited. That's it.
Speaker 1: But I don't know who that is?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 7: I have no know?
Speaker 1: But the people who do have thoughts still, Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Stop saying reservation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't mean it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's mean ours, but that's a good one. On who's not invited to He's still not there yet. You guys can tell us this on video or you can leave it in the comments. We will have every video. Yeah, we prefer the video.
Speaker 1: Send us a video on who is invited to the cookout? Right? And who is your cookoutary? Invited is honorary.
Speaker 3: For people confused like my brother Andrew, and not invited is you can kickin, folks, but you're clearly not ken folks, so you are not allowed. You are dishonorably discharged.
Speaker 5: Charge booted, get back, but most important harm.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if you can send your videos from a cookout, we would love that.
Speaker 5: It would be great. You didn't even talk about what other food should not come?
Speaker 4: Send us your food. We'll do a part to send us your food. Whatever y'all got to say about the cookout, send us a video and we will do a part two.
Speaker 3: To not necessarily the pictures because the food looks nasty. I'm going to say something.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's a podcast. We won't be able to see it. Remember that.
Speaker 5: They can.
Speaker 4: But it would be easier if you just tell us on video who's invited, who's not invited, what food you got, what food can't come?
Speaker 6: And she got?
Speaker 1: Because whatever they want to say about the cookout.
Speaker 5: Your cookout.
Speaker 6: Not invited, not to this one.
Speaker 4: I don't understand what Andrew he doesn't like it. I know exactly what you're referencing, and I'm moving along. If you have been grated X rated, we don't know, Han know it is absolutely and till I will tell you what it is, Macar even don't even I will explain it to you after the people in the comments will be able to explain it.
Speaker 1: I also cook out welcome home, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Thanks for listening to you, guys. Please please please remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode on Thursdays, Welcome Home, y'all. Native Land Pod is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.