Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: I mean to ask you this, as far as the chips, it's been a shortage of chips, so they said, it's been a shortage of chips for a long time. An average person, can you just explain, like why are chips so important and why is there such a shortage of chips, because it's like, if they could be made, It's not like a vegetable that has to grow in the ground, right, if you could just make if you can make a chip, why is there shortages of chips? Want they just make more chips?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, another good question, Like I once I started at in Video, I had spent a lot of time digging into this because for that same reason, it's like, what are their challenges here? So in short, in short, and I can talk to why the chips are so important as well, But in short, the reason why these fabs are important and why they're so expensive. One is that they're huge mongus operations, absolutely gargantuan efforts, process structures and everything in order to build chips in the right way. And so you know, you can't just stand up a fab and then just go next door and then stand up another one. There is a whole lead time and capability. The second is that Taiwan has that we didn't have and are starting to build, is the pipeline of intellectual capability and intellectual capital to work on these chips. So you're right with Sean, and that a chip is a physical thing, and there is a blueprint of building a chip. And we've been doing that whole while I started my career Motorola. We've been building chips Motorola. Many don't notice, but Motorola used to be the processor inside of Apple's right, So we've been building chips. America has been building chips. But what happened was I'm showing my age. But when I was at Motorola, we were doing a lot of the chip development here. We moved that abroad because we wanted to. We turned our eye, our gaze on other capability on the software side, and so we said, let let's outsource the hardware side. Let's push that out to and let Taiwan have it. What they wound up building our universities, research institutions, and other capabilities that support chip making. So you have to have the intellectual capital and the intellectual intellectual environment. It's just like any large company. Low large company just decides to move to a location just because you know what, it seems like there's gonna be a nice view out the window. Right. They look at what universities are there, what high schools are there? What's the graduation rate across in the pipeline here, because they want that talent to be groomed and growned. What sort of are you just all liberal arts universities or is there are there a lot of tech majors in these universities. That's what companies think about. And so when you look at Taiwan, Taiwan has the whole ecosystem. So we have to create the ecosystem from the beginning, from the body them up. So it's not just the physical chips, the development, it's also the intellectual capital in order to build the best chips and to compete.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, that's kind of one of those things where when we see the reports that we see TSM they're building their foundaries in Arizona and it's close to twenty billion dollars. But one of the things that we think you and I have discussed and maybe even you were part of that conversation as well as the American companies that are doing it. And so obviously we see a video, but we see companies like Global Foundaries and having these fabs. So for those not in the note, fabs are where these chips are made. But it's a long process, and it's an expensive process. We're talking tens and twenties of billions dollars to build the factory, which probably takes five to six years, then getting the machinery, and then finding an infrastructure that goes inside that.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to.
Speaker 5: You said you were at in Video and this is one of the things that really stuck with me when we spoke, was how many eye how many black.
Speaker 2: Employees were at INVIDE when you were there. Let's start there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So I'm going to put it like this when I when I when I started, there were seventeen thousand employees at in goodyear globally when you're talking about African American, because we have a presidence in Africa, but when you're talking about African American, it was less than fifty at the time that I started. I think it's a little over one hundred, maybe one hundred and twenty or so. Now it might be a little bit more since I left. Last I checked, but it was it was less than fifty, far less than fifty, like an astonishing number, lower than fifty. But I you know, I don't want to say that an exact number because then someone could refute that exact number, but I'm telling you it was a bizarre amount of African American.
Speaker 5: I preface that question because it speaks to kind of the you know, we've had these conversations around solutions for the future, and one of them is having us being in the tech world right. Obviously we're doing our part as far as financing. Many others are helping along the way to get more of us in these fields that you know there's a lack thereof. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the P and C Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC Erness what's up. You have a wall into a small business and everything just works like. The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: And so I want you to talk about having us really finding our way and finding methods and studies to be in tech, specifically obviously in AI, which is which is something of the future, the importance of it, because there's at one point I recall you trying to you're at in video and trying to give out these supercomputers to New York City, but you didn't have anybody to give it to because there wasn't anybody that was educated in the space.
Speaker 4: So talk about that. Yeah, no, So I don't even know where to start with your question. It's such a big point and question mark for our community. But let me start from that point that you ended with, which was so when I was at in video and videos like Apple and they don't give away anything, there's no, they don't get nothing away. And that you know, Jensen never gave money, you know, donations not I don't know what he does personally, but I mean as in video. You know, people come in organizations, come and say if you get fifty thousand, you can do a part of this. Broke this effort to do blah bla blah blah blah. It was always like a no. So we never gave anything away. But I had gotten my hands on we were long story start. I got my hands on four d gx's which four d GX is connected together with the right network and environment, is a supercomputer, has the capability and the power of a supercomputer. And so I was given the green light to donate that to a city of my desire, and I started to think about where could we put this. I wanted to put these not with a city government. I wanted to put them with organizations within the city, and I wanted to put them in a city where it was HBCUs and people can from the community can use this super compute. I had no luck, zero luck. Right wound up having to put them at They're at Cornell Tech right now. That's where they landed. My only two options was NYU and Cornell Tech in New York City. And then being able to get people from the community to use them is a whole nother capacity building exercise, and so we realize how far behind we are in utilizing super compute. So there's a pipeline, and this is getting to what you're talking about, and you guys have talked about this a lot. There's a pipeline that I see in this AI space, and this is a fairly high level pipeline. It probably can be broken down to more atomic parts. There's a pipeline, and the pipeline is this this infrastructure and that's your videos. Uh, that's that's gonna you know, that's your arm Qualcom, Amazon, Microsoft, phows Force. That's infrastructure. Then you have your platform companies. Right Google plays in the platform space as well as in the infrastructure place space. Right and videas moving aggressively into the platform space. So you have all of these platform companies. Open ai is a platform company that is considering becoming an infrastructure company. So you know there's this bar, but there's infrastructure platform, and then there is users consumers of these AI products. So when we talk about our community, we are over indexed, woefully over indexed. On the user side. We always talk about how did you use chat, GPT, how did you use Board, how did you use quaw two, so on and so forth, as opposed to how people using what we've built. And so there is a but there were reasons, structural, structural reasons, infrastructure reasons, academic reasons. The ecosystem has to exist for us to play in this space, and so it's very challenging. So it's really difficult to have a supercompute and go to a community and say do you have access to about two and a half million dollars worth of compute period, point blank on the street. And that was before that was when the stock was at one something that was before it popped. People were looking at me when the stock popped and no one could get any dgx's or any GPUs. They were looking at me like, yo, I'm well you, why don't you bring those back right because right now it's like a nine to ten month lead time to even get any of those dgx's, of which four of them gave to New York City. But at two and a half million dollars worth of super compute power, and you couldn't you couldn't convince people from our community to use them for a lot of reasons. It's not therefore, but it helped shine shine light on the environment that we're at.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security under President Trump. Attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,