Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's kiss you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi Everybody, Scott Patterson.
Speaker 3: I am all in Podcasts one eleven Production's iHeart Radio, iHeart Podcast, I Heart Media, iHeart ice Cream, iHeart Toast, iHeart Waffles, iHeart Electric Cars. Pop Culture Episode, Season six, Episode sixteen, Bridemaids Revisited Tara Take It Away.
Speaker 4: So the episode refers to the title. Bride'shead Revisited is an English novel by Evelyn Waugh, first published in nineteen forty five, and the novel was turned into a TV show in nineteen eighty one and then a movie in two thousand and eight. The plot of the story of Forbidden Love and the Loss of Innocent set in England.
Speaker 2: Prior to World War Two.
Speaker 4: The movie stars Matthew Good, Emma Thompson, and Haley Atwell. Grand And did you know that Emma Thompson threatened to quit this movie if the producers persisted in pushing actress Haley Atwell.
Speaker 2: To lose weight.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and at Well said that Harvey Weinstein even insulted.
Speaker 5: Her, Oh my God, by.
Speaker 4: Saying you look like a fat pig. On screen. Stop eating.
Speaker 1: Mirror pal, right? That really for you? It's another thing being one.
Speaker 2: What what year was this?
Speaker 4: The movie came out in two thousand and eight, so I'm assuming they were filming. I'm assuming they were filming around the time this episode aired.
Speaker 2: Know what year is it in Gilmour World? Again?
Speaker 4: Well, two thousand and six, so yeah, it could have been.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the movie hadn't come out when they made this reference. No interesting, all.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, Rory is blasting music getting ready for her panel. Logan walks in and startles her. He turns down the music. By the way, I'm such a musicologist that I know from my research that this is sonic youth playing in the background. Oh yeah, yeah, you guys didn't know that, did you? Anyway, Logan, I see you went with Faye Dunaway and Network. Faye Dunaway is an American actress, perhaps most famous for her role in Bonnie and Clyde. Network is a nineteen seventy six film starring Faye Dunaway and Peter Finch.
Speaker 1: In the movie, veteran anchor man.
Speaker 3: Howard Beale The Howard Beale Show, Peter Finch discovers that he's being put out the pasture, he launches into an angry televised rant, which turns out to be a huge ratings boost. The stunt allows producer Diana Christensen Faye Dunaway to develop even more outrageous programming, a concept she takes to the extreme. And I'm just telling you folks out there, if you have not seen Network, you need to see this film. It's one of the great films ever written by the great Petty Chefski, who also wrote Altered States, in the Hospital and other things. Did you know Peter Finch died before the Academy Awards were to take place, where he was nominated for Best Actor. He won, making him the first performer ever to receive a posthumous.
Speaker 1: Award at the Oscars.
Speaker 3: Anyway, great film, Ned Beattie's in it, What a performance, Robert Devals in it, what a performance. Just great performances all around.
Speaker 5: Wasn't William Holden in that too?
Speaker 1: Bill Holden played.
Speaker 3: The guy who was the head of the news division who kept getting fired and rehired, And you know, he was the moral center somewhat of this film, even though he It's just a fantastic film, like great writing and great acting and great, just great story that that film is just one of my all time favorites.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Suzanne, you're up, okay.
Speaker 5: Lorlai greets Christopher with a kiss. SOS. She arrives at Rory's panel. Lorlai says, nice seats. Christopher says, I got here early and scouted out the best ones. We were more towards the middle, but then two people I'm pretty sure it was Brigitte Nielsen and Kareem abdul Jabbar sat right in front of me. Brigitte Nielsen is a Danish actress, model, and singer. She acted in Rocky four and married Sylvester Stallone for two years in nineteen eighty five. Kareem Abdul Jabbar is an American former professional basketball player who played for twenty seasons in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Can you names? Can you? Can you not to interrupt? But can you? No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No? His birth name?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Does anybody know?
Speaker 2: I can't remember it? I don't know either.
Speaker 3: Lou Al Sinder, Oh yeah, yeah, shoot, that was his when he played for UCLA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Nop.
Speaker 2: That's three. I also can't believe Sylvester Sloan was married to Brigitte Nielsen.
Speaker 5: But so Christopher is joking about the people in front of him being so tall as Brigitte Nielsen is six to one and Kareem abdul Jabar is seven foot two.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, seven foot two. Wow, that is that is actually crazy?
Speaker 1: Seven foot two and eyes of blue.
Speaker 2: That is tall.
Speaker 5: That is more than two feet taller than me.
Speaker 2: I'll just mention that.
Speaker 1: But I think you, I think you definitely have a better hook shot.
Speaker 2: Wait, how tall you, Suzanne? How tall you? I am five feet even?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: My niece is four eleven. I love I love not tall people and I love tall people. I love all people.
Speaker 5: That was very politically correct.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Did you know that during the shooting of Beverly Hills Cop two in nineteen eighty seven, director Tony Scott had elicit affair with Brigitte He was then married to Sylvester Stee.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Whoa and the affair, which he describes as horrendous, led to the breakup second merit.
Speaker 3: Wow, wait man, Tony Scott was having the affair with her, and he labeled it horrendous.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't mean to laugh, but that's odd anyway, it's.
Speaker 4: Literally quoted on our sheet.
Speaker 2: I'm happy with the one I'm getting right now. Christopher and Laurli are walking in the halls after Rory's performance. My God, she is smart. Christopher says she is smart. Laurli says she's Anthony Michael Hall in Breakfast Club Smart. Anthony Michael Hall is an American actor best known for the John Hughes films Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Weird Science. Laura is referring to the fact that Anthony Michael Hall played the brain in the Breakfast Club and he sure did. I also love sixteen Candles. Did you know he is the godfather of Indio Falconer Downey, Robert Downey Junior's son. He appeared with Robert Downey junr. In Weird Science, Johnny be Good and Hail Caesar. You know what Anthony Michaelhall was also good in was that Stephen King show. He the names out of my head, but he like would get visions and he was in It was many years and it was good. Anthony michaelh And he's got some new movie coming where he's like on Air Force one or there's like a hostage situation on the Air Force one. Oh, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: In the hallway, Christopher gets a phone call. Christopher, it's minute Nanny lauleo. Oh does Sana know about this?
Speaker 2: It's such a reference that I didn't get now, Yeah, because I forgot right. He knew a second.
Speaker 4: He said it because I've watched the holiday so much around the holidays that we were talking about Jude Law.
Speaker 2: That's actually funny.
Speaker 3: Loreleia is referencing actress Sienna Miller, who was married to Jude Law until he was caught having an affair with his nanny. Sannah Miller is an English actress best known for her roles in Layer Cake, one of the Just a Great Film starring Daniel Craig. Tom Hardy has a smallish role in There Too, Just a Fantastic Movie. Santa Miller is an English actress specialener Layer Cake, Alfie, Factory Girl, The Edge of Love, g I Joe, The Rise of the Cobra. Did you know Jude Law and Cianna Miller reconciled twice after the cheating scandal before splitting for good in two thousand and eleven. Well they gave look, they gave it a shot, right, Who's he with.
Speaker 2: Now do we know some of the lady. I think a different lady and she's got a husband or something. I think they're all fine.
Speaker 1: And there are no nanny.
Speaker 3: They didn't have nanny's if that was in the contract.
Speaker 1: Uh, who's up? Who's up?
Speaker 4: Oh me?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Do you want to go, Tara?
Speaker 4: Sure, I'll go in the hallway. Laura and Christopher continue their conversation. Laura I says, if you're ever stuck and you need somebody to watch her, I'd be happy to fill in. Christopher says really, Laura I says yeah, I'm fun like Tellytubbies. Telly Tubbies is a kid's television show following four Tellytubbies in tellytubby Land called Twinkie, Winkie, Dipsy, La La, and Pooh. Lauralei is saying she likes Tally Tubbies because it's the most popular show for babies.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 4: In two thousand and seven, for their ten year anniversary, March twenty eighth was deemed Telly Tubby's Day. The Telly The Tellytubbies were given the keys to New York City the same year, And I was not a Tellytubbies fan at all except to say that.
Speaker 2: I barely kind of know what they are. I know a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's Sam.
Speaker 2: You want to Susan, you go, then I'll go after you. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 5: So in the same scene, Zach wants to get the band back together, and he says, I don't mean to get all Broke Back Mountain on you, but we're buds, you know, and I miss you and you're not gonna believe it. But that kid over there is about to down a whole cup of Marashiana cherry.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 5: Broke Back Mountain is a two thousand and five movie starring Heath Ledger and Jake Jillenhall. Zach is referring to the fact that in the movie, Jack played by Jake Jillenhall, makes a drunken pass at MMIs played by Heath Ledger that is eventually reciprocated.
Speaker 2: Did you know Heath.
Speaker 5: Ledger and Michelle Williams met and fell in love on the set of this film. She gave birth to their daughter, Matilda, shortly before the film premiered. Additionally, according to producer James Seamus, the movie costs so little to make that it recouped its cost during the first week of limited release.
Speaker 2: I find Geechi on the couch with the remote in her hand. You already figured out how to turn the TV on. He's smarty. So what are we watching? Chittlers? Oh?
Speaker 1: Full House?
Speaker 2: You know, I think the Olsen twins way less now than they did on that show, which is not appropriate.
Speaker 1: No, not really.
Speaker 2: Twenty four but there's also another thing in this episode that was not appropriate.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very inappropriate.
Speaker 3: We can get in the way back machining issue tickets exactly so.
Speaker 2: Mary Kate Nashley Olsen played Michelle in the eighty seven sitcom series Full House. The Olsen twins are now successful fashion designers with their fashion brand The Row. I will tell you a full House tidbit. It was not until last week that I realized Forever was a Beach Boys song and was not a song created for Full House or Oh Amy.
Speaker 4: I just learned this because I just finished John Stamos's book.
Speaker 2: I literally had no idea that that was a Beach Boys song. It makes sense now knowing that John samils and he's has the relationship with the Beach Boys.
Speaker 1: Something right, because he's always playing with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sent a text and I was like, I was today years old when I learned this, and somebody we're like, are you serious, and I'm like, unfortunately, yes, Like I.
Speaker 1: Thought that was amy. Have you ever seen the Beach Boys live?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh, they're sort of like confusing because it's like they're not fully all together. There's like the Brian Wilson Beach Boys.
Speaker 1: I saw them.
Speaker 3: I saw them back in the early eighties twice on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, and it was amazing, amazing, They're amazing.
Speaker 4: Do you know who's a really big Beach Boys fan?
Speaker 2: John Samos?
Speaker 4: Oh engineer, Yes, yes, John Samos.
Speaker 1: But Easton every single song they play is a massive hit. It's it's weird.
Speaker 3: You just don't realize how many hits they had, and then you're standing there for two hours and it's like another hit. They have so many it's endless talk about a single long.
Speaker 2: I also was today years old when I learned that Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are the Row. Oh yeah, I remember when they were they had that other line.
Speaker 4: They had another one, but I think they took their names off of it and wanted to just kind of like they don't even I don't even think, like their photos are on their inside.
Speaker 2: They realized they were the Row.
Speaker 4: They're the Row, and I love the Roe's really nice. Yeah it's not cheap, it's not cheap, but there's some good pieces in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What was that other one called I'll have to look up. But Lorelei's joking. They are so skinny that they weigh less than they did on the show. Because of the show they played a baby. Not totally appropriate, but anyway. Schindler's List is a nineteen ninety three film by Steven Spielberg, which is an amazing film, like it's so good, it's so good. When Steven Spielberg first showed John Williams a cut of the movie, Williams was so moved he had to take a walk outside for several minutes to collect which is also how I feel every time I watch the movie. I'm almost crying so much, I'm like sick. Upon his return, he told Spielberg he deserved a better composer. Can you imagine John Williams, who's better than John Williams?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 2: Wow, my god, wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is me.
Speaker 3: The bride'smaids are getting ready for the wedding and talking about eligible bachelors at the wedding tonight, specifically Trip Wallace and Claude. Alexander and Meghan have both slept with Trip Rory. Smallworld, Alexandra, I'm with Liam, you can have Trip Walker. Trip's too short. I'm over the whole Maya Pharaoh, Woody Allen thing Maya Paraoh and Woody Allen together for twelve years but never married.
Speaker 1: Walker is naming them.
Speaker 3: Walker is naming the two of them because Woody Allan and Mia Farrow are the same height. Woody is five to five and Mia is five four, so they're not the same height. They're actually Woody's taller.
Speaker 2: The wedding part.
Speaker 3: Comes in the dressing to get the girls into their seats. Megan, Uh, wait a minute, Am I doing two.
Speaker 1: In a row? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sorry, somebody stop, somebody stop me.
Speaker 4: You were on a roll.
Speaker 1: I was, I just but I, like.
Speaker 5: I said, it just flowed, so naturally we just let you go.
Speaker 1: For it, Susan, Suzanne, go for it.
Speaker 5: The wedding planner comes into the dressing room to get the girls into their seats, and Megan says, I look like rue Paul RuPaul is a media personality and drag queen and host of RuPaul's Drag Race. Megan is saying her hair looks like a drag queen's hair too. Did you know that RuPaul was named by his mother. Ru came from rue roux, the term for the base of gumbo and other Creole stews and soups. Oh way, yeah, his parents are both from Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And RuPaul's Drag Race has won twenty eight Emmys and has sixty nominations.
Speaker 3: I am in part responsible for this, and I'll tell you why. When I was before Gilmour, I was teaching acting, and I was coaching people privately, and I had classes and the whole thing. One of my students was Rue Paul No before, No way, Yes, And I think RuPaul already had a show on the air. I don't know what it was called at that time. This is like the late nineties. What was RuPaul doing in the late nineties, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, but he was around acting. He was in the Brady Bunch movie, remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah so and a pretty darn good actor. I was very impressed and didn't need a lot of advice from me, And we just you know worked on the sides that we're being auditioned and.
Speaker 1: Got the job. I mean, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: It, like it, I like it, I like it.
Speaker 4: I also love that RuPaul is probably more even more relevant now with totally Drag Race. It's uh huh so cool, like really awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gigi is using permanent markers on Lorelei's floor. Loreli tries to take them away from her, and GG screams, if that's your Donald Sutherland. Invasion of the Body Snatcher's impression, it's a good one. Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a seventy eight American science fiction film nineteen seventy eight horror film. It's directed by Philip Kauffman. Stars Donald Sutherland, Brook Adams, Veronica cart Right my favorite, Jeff Goldbloom, and Leonard Niemway also my favorite, although there's a something we have to discuss about Leonard Dyimway in the film. The ending scene is where Veronica Cartwright walks up to Donald Sutherland and he just screams and points because he is an alien. Did you know ben Bert? The sound effects specialists created the scream by mixing together a few elements, with the mean ingredients being pig squeaz, which gives it that shrill, unsettling feel. Other examples are to do it. Bert's creative use of sound include the ultrasound of a baby's heartbeat over the scenes of the Pod People Growing Good, which is actually taken from the ultrasound of Bert's then pregnant. Why we will get to the Leonard Nimoy thing shortly. Oh, I'll do the next one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, So Christopher rings Laurai's doorbelts pick up gg and Christopher says, hi, Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is in the nineteen sixty four films Darring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke and Christopher's calling Laura I Mary Poppins because she babysat gig for the day. Did you know that Walt Disney cast Julie Andrews for the lead after seeing her in Camelot on Broadway and when she mentioned she was pregnant, he offered to wait until she had the baby to start filming and offered her then husband Tony Walton, the job for designing costumes. And I actually have another fun fact about Julie Andrews. She did you know she the only person who attended both the opening day of Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
Speaker 2: Oh no way. I also know that I saw shopping in Brentwood. That was my fun fact. Okay, here comes the Spock one who wants to read it, and then I will tell the story.
Speaker 1: Who's up, Suzanne, you're up, sure, I'll read it.
Speaker 5: The conversation continues as Chris explains to Laurlai that kids are hard. Christopher says, she's a kid. Kids are hard. Laurel I says, yeah, I know kids.
Speaker 2: I raised one.
Speaker 5: Okay, Christopher says kids are different today. It's a different world. Laurel I says, I'm sorry. Yes, that was doctor Spock turning over in his grave.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait before you explain, Suzanne. Suzanne deserves some credit because you know, we have producers that do the pop culture. Suzanne got the rough draft version of this, and all the explanation of doctor spo talk was all about Leonard Nemour. So I send a note to our producers, bless their arts. They're little on the young side, familiar doctor Spock. Thankfully Suzanne caught it, and we have the correct pop culture rather than seven facts about Spock. Who isn't a doctor, by.
Speaker 5: The way, right, it's mister Spock, correct, this is doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it also shows our age because I immediately knew doctors. Right. My mom had the book for sure. Oh yeah, just flipping through it when you got like a cut to learn, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that book. That book was in every household America. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: So this Spock reference is doctor Spock, who's a pediatrician whose parenting advice and recommendations revolutionized parental upbringing, and he is considered to be among the most famous and influential Americans of the twentieth century. And Lorelai is referring to doctor Spock because he was the first pediatrician to study the psychoanalysis of children and the generalization that Chris gave isn't what doctor Spock taught. And his book Baby in Childcare, which came out sometime in like mid fifties, I think, is one of the best selling books of the twentieth century.
Speaker 3: All right, Doyle explaining to Ry that Paris isn't sleeping anymore. Doyle, No, it's impossible, because she doesn't sleep anymore. She makes damn sure I don't either. Last night she decided it would be fun to watch Saul two at three in the morning, And then I woke up and asked her if she could turn it down. She berated me for being a film snob. Saw two is a horror film from two thousand and five starring Donnie Wahlberg and Beverly Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 3: To conceal the ending? Most of the actors were not given the last twenty five pages of the script. Only the principal actors involved in the sequence knew. They pulled that with me me too before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first Saw was so scary, Like, the First Saw just messed me up. I was like hyper ventilating in the movie theater. I was so stressed.
Speaker 1: No, what's the best? What's the best horror film of all time?
Speaker 2: Saw one is. If you asked me, what is the one that disturbed me and scared me the most, it's up there.
Speaker 3: I saw The Exorcist when it first came out. I was eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. By the time I saw it was sort of like, this is dumb, you know, the one that I thought dumb.
Speaker 1: No, I just wasn't nothing dumb about it.
Speaker 2: I was. I saw it at the wrong age and just was like the one that also messed me up. And I don't know if you'd consider it a horror movie. I am legend. Did you ever see that Will Smith movie?
Speaker 1: I saw a horror film.
Speaker 2: It kind of is.
Speaker 1: Though it's a it's a dystopian nightmare.
Speaker 2: It's it's a zombie apocalypse. Like it's so stressful. I was like, oh my god, what a stressful MOVIEH Like if I was the only person on earth and all I had was a dog, and like videos of the Today Show, I just be messed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, guys, if you missed the live show at the iHeart Theater in Bourbank, California on the seventeenth, you can get tickets to watch an edited version of the live show. You can stream it from January twenty fifth for the next month after that.
Speaker 2: It's good, guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just filled with.
Speaker 2: As we're recording this, we haven't done it yet, but it's good. Oh.
Speaker 1: We know it's going to be great. You know, we're gonna blow the roof off that place.
Speaker 3: Even if it doesn't have a roof, or is it open air it does have a roof, it doesn't, well, then it's going to be gone after we're done.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the people that I heard are thrilled to hear that. Anyway, all of us, everybody, keep the cards, letters coming. We will see you next time. Stay safety, everybody.
Speaker 1: And don't forget.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com