Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on These are our stories done done? Who do Who? That's messed up? An SVU podcast. I'm Liza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank.
Speaker 1: Every week it's SVU recaps true crime, deep dives and chats with guests and today guests guests. I'm like, I didn't even know which which we're doing, but we've got a lot.
Speaker 3: Do we wish? Do we wish? We got this woman Shore? Did we get or no? Is this pro bound? Yeah? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Despite us be brief co workers, she did not heed the call of guesting on the podcast. But we have a lot of big sketchups. So do you want to start? I have a couple of things.
Speaker 2: Well we'll start. This is an SVU related thing, so we'll just start with this. So you know, I play my movie games cinema Trix right now.
Speaker 3: This will be an older one.
Speaker 2: You can go to the archive, but May Eleventh's Telematrix. It's Judith Light or Maren Ireland, who's Coreesy's sister and you have Judith Light. Then the next category is Dan Stevens, so I don't know who that is. But then it's as if Mondvi, who is a guest and an SVU person, then it's cch Pounder or Stephen Root. Oh my god for SVU people in the telematrix, and they're they're all a little hard. I gave the SVU to cch Pounder and I did good. But it's tough out there, but I thought it was exciting. It was exciting to have all of them out in there.
Speaker 3: Maren Ireland is like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So she must be in something huge we're not thinking of, because why is she in this thing? I have like seen her and other stuff.
Speaker 3: Of course she was. She's like a younger Terry Polo, who I think she looks like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so anyways, so that's neither here nor there. But I just thought I would let the people know if they were interested in testing that.
Speaker 1: I guess she was in Homeland, which I watched all of that's not see it.
Speaker 3: Did you just look that up? Yeah? Well, I'm playing the game. You can't look at up.
Speaker 1: How you did it already? I'm sorry, christ I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean that you can't. Well, don't use it now. I don't know. I I thought you did it. I thought you already did it. Oh no, but now okay, So that's my one thing, now, you know. Okay.
Speaker 1: So, not not specifically as VU related, but related to the fact that we always say on this fucking podcast that if you are rich enough and you get convicted of a crime, you will appeal and appeal until you.
Speaker 3: Fucking get out and murder.
Speaker 1: Murdoch guy, the guy from Murdoch Murders who fully murdered his fucking wife and also tried to cover up his son's crimes. And they're like a dynasty of generationally wealthy idiots in South Carolina. That there's a whole podcast called The Murdoch Murders and a whole fucking scripted show about them with who Patricia Arquette plays the mom.
Speaker 3: So maybe it is SPU related.
Speaker 1: Just got appealed, just his conviction was overturned, he won his appeal, and he's getting a new trial. And it's related to perjury charges for letting the press view sealed exhibits. That's what I was saying. I was like explaining this to my friends before this, I was like, yeah, we always see this on the podcast, that these motherfuckers like, yeah, sure, Bill Cosby went to jail. He eventually got out, like all these people get out because they just have so much money and they'll just appeal. And they were like, oh, like they'll they'll have a new defense.
Speaker 3: I go, no, No, they'll.
Speaker 1: Just say, oh, this piece of evidence was not logged the right way. Like they'll just find loopholes and like ways to appear and get out of it.
Speaker 3: Like this guy definitely fucking did it.
Speaker 2: And this is why I love Vigilante Justice, and maybe we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: I saw that this morning. I saw that this morning.
Speaker 1: Oh god, because like when he got convicted, I was like, great, like a rich and powerful family even in this small little pocket of South Carolina is going to get theirs. And then no, nope, no, but I hopefully on a second trial get convicted again. I think it's pretty damning. But anyway, I'm just saying I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Speaker 2: When does actually stayed out of that case. I don't know much about it. I didn't watch anything read about it. I just I was listening to it's kind of like southern charm, Like I'm not interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I listened to the podcast because the girl that like did it, Mandy Mattley or something is her name.
Speaker 3: She's like real scrappy.
Speaker 1: She like wrote for like local paper down there and kind of did this all on her own and like they were trying to and I was like sort of just like supporting her journalism. But I listened to the whole podcast and was like, oh, this family is gross. But this comes out on May nineteenth, Los Angeles. We've got to vote. Please, if you're even considering a vote for Spencer Pratt, please don't listen to this podcast anymore. I cannot have Spencer Pratt be the mayor of my city.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, my former hair dresser in La is pro Spencer Pratt.
Speaker 1: That's not surprising to me, knowing. Yeah, yeah, like a little netty, a little nutty. There's people we know that we've hung out with that are going for him.
Speaker 3: He's not an option.
Speaker 1: He's a climate change denier who doesn't understand why his house burned down.
Speaker 3: Like come on, like, let's it's the fires that's what connects these people.
Speaker 1: It's yes, and like he has all these like weird Listen, I'm pro dogs. I don't want dogs being injured. I don't want dogs being harmed on the street. But like, we cannot like vote for someone solely based on like a dog platform, Like we need to vote for things that are going to affect the humans of our city and this guy is not it. So and then I'll try to post some of you have been texting me and messaging me for my Progressive voter Guide. I'm waiting for them to come out so i can take a look. But also for governor, we need to wait till last minute and just vote for who's the highest. Sorry, that's just how it is with these stupid jungle primaries.
Speaker 3: That's my that's Kara's political corner.
Speaker 1: Lisa, let's talk about Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 3: Listen. I saw Mortal Kombat too. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Then I saw Mortal Kombat from twenty twenty one, and then I watched the nineteen ninety five Mortal Kombat and loved it all. Loved the music. Already put a request in to ride to it at Soul Cycle. I'm like, please play Mortal Kombat. When I'm saying Mortal Kombat too, just come out. Yeah, And I was And I was there Thursday at like ten thirty pm in Vegas at a strip mall. Oh, I have no idea my one nighter I wasn't. I just didn't want to see Devil was proud of too in Las Vegas. Like I was like, I want to watch that in New York and I have like walk there. And so after my show, I was just like, because it's the I remember seeing something and it is about Katana a lot, and I was like, I'll just go.
Speaker 3: To Mortal Kombat relaxed.
Speaker 2: Took a couple of white Claws in there, and and I loved it. And obviously I have continued my Mortal Kombat journey. Damn Okay, I really enjoyed it. I mean it makes no sense, but I really want to go realm hopping and like no one really dies, but sometimes there's there they don't have arms anymore. I'm just like.
Speaker 3: Some light like get over here. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it, but I love get over Here. I also love like the Slice of Lights. So like a couple was late and I heard them be like, fuck, we missed the first kill. And I'm like that's so funny, Like that's just like not something I would even think about. But I would never be I would never be late to a movie. I just would I would rather not go so but it's just it was funny to like be in a space with people because I don't see action movies every yeah, so it was just kind of fun like walk my fa is.
Speaker 1: Like as actionny as it gets for me, you know, like I'm not going to like hardcore action movies.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I'm not seeing Transformers. So but did you see Devil Wars Protato not yet? I've been busy. Go Go go La was insane.
Speaker 2: I truly I lived like a New Yorker, Like I would have a nine am and then I wouldn't get back to my room until like one in the morning.
Speaker 3: Two in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like jam packed it and it was fun. And I will say at my hotel, I saw John Taturo. I saw it Tony Shaloub and he did look at my tits like I never I am not a.
Speaker 3: Tosh and all in that way, monk, my eyes are up here. I can't. Yes, No, it was amazing and it was from Afar and then and I did leave my bathing suit there in La I'm like so upset. But anyways, and then he's spun around own and did it again, and I feel like we made eye contacts, like it was kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: But I also saw Billy Bob Thornton so start a piper paraboo piper parabou from from Coyote ugly.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And.
Speaker 2: So that was so that was all pretty like a thrilling experience for so many sightings. I went to my soul cycles, I had some food, I taped some things, and you know, went to dry bar.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Wait, Okay, first of all, did I talk about how I saw Deverawarres product already on this podcast?
Speaker 3: You did? I saw it opening night.
Speaker 1: I saw it like the Thursday, like it opened on Friday, and I saw it on a Thursday. I don't know if you want my review I do? I mean, yeah, of course, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Yeah, I loved it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I just don't want to hype it up too much for anybody.
Speaker 2: No, I know, I'm gonna love it. And people said it's a great sequel. People are really like, I can't wait. And then Kate and then I have a friend in it, so I'm gonna fucking like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they give you everything I wanted more Caleb, I'll say that, but they give you everything that you want.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: Actually, someone came up to me at the West Hollywood Soul Cycle and when Caleb was underutilized.
Speaker 1: Honestly, kind of everybody that we know that is like such a genius comedy person that's getting cast in like bigger things. I'm like, they barely use John Early in the Comeback, and and Abby like they like they I don't know, they like they didn't give them really anything funny to do. So it's like, I don't know what these people are doing. Give them more funny things to do. But I just saw Meg Stalter is gonna be Mary and Oh Mary. That's gonna be wild.
Speaker 2: That I gotta. I woke up to a DM about that. That'll be really exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Perfect.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I cannot go three summers in a row, like I cannot go see O Mary three summers in a row.
Speaker 2: I know, because I have to see other New York theater. I look at the Lost Boys twelve nominations. I guess I have taste.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wait, when did the Tony nominations come out like this week, last week, last week. Okay, yeah, fresh fresh, fresh fresh. All right, h read the complete list, all right, I need to see what I'm going to see when I go to New York. That was say that Best Musical was that Two Strangers got nominated? That thing you watch to carry a cake across New York. I don't think that's gonna win well, but it got nominated. And congratulations to our girl, Aya Cash, former guest of the Pod, who was nominated for a Best Actress Tony.
Speaker 3: Wow. Cool Yeah for Giant. Yeah what a thrill.
Speaker 2: Now I don't have a Tony nomination, but I am in the Bravo discourse and one of the evidence I cannot believe my like, I it's like a thrill because Jenfessler, I saw it all happen kind of. But I woke up to a group chat sending me that like it's it was circulating and then so a couple of people DM me like, oh you're in the drama or like watch out girl. I'm like, this is the greatest thing. There's nothing I did wrong.
Speaker 1: So just to give a little background for anybody that might not know what we're talking about the whole Sierra summer house thing with Amanda and West, and that was the guy that Lisa was on watch What Happens Live with like a while ago. And then Jen Fessler, who is a real housewife of New Jersey, posted the photo of the three of them, Lisa, West and Jen on March thirteenth, and that night, yeah, was there already talk of them hooking up?
Speaker 3: That? No, of course no, but that's a new piece of goossip.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we get to watch What Happens Live and I turned to my friends and I go, is that Gen Fessler over there? And it was so we couldn't believe it. So we're like talking to Gen Fessler. So then West comes and Jen was West plus one. Now, looking back, if I had fucked Wes and I was treated the way I was being treated, I'd be fucking pissed. And then my friends go, she was pissed. Don't you remember her at the bar being pissed? And I go, no, I was blackout, like I don't remember, but I went out with but like, in my head, if I had fucked this dude, and then he brought me as a date to this thing, and then he acted the way he was acting, I would definitely be why what was he doing?
Speaker 3: Just not paying attention to her at all?
Speaker 2: He was hanging out with us, and then there was like a bunch of like Bravo Instagram people. But like in my head I did he just said, oh, we bonded at Bravocon, and so I thought it would be fun to bring her, like, oh, I'm making new friends.
Speaker 1: I would have thought that too, Like she's here because it's always good publicity to like get photographed at watch what happens again and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yeah, like he they just like what I was told by them was oh, we just vibed at Bravocon. But I'm being reminded that she was mad at the bar and then but and I would be too, But the vibes were fine. But it was strange that that was the day. But I loved taking photos of them. I loved being there. West is very charming DMD ahead of time, Like I understand how people are wrapped up in it. But I saw a post online that was like he is dangerous because he's someone that loves attention more than he loves love, and so like, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't really I don't really know.
Speaker 2: But then also another clip I just saw, and it's Jackie what's the fuck and Goldenschlager.
Speaker 3: What are their names?
Speaker 1: Jackie go it is something like that Jackie Goldschmidt.
Speaker 2: Maybe, oh it's not gold Schmidt, it's Juwi or it's Goldschneider, Goldschneider, not that Julie and weird is but a Goldschneider. So Goldschneider and Jen Fessler are on watch what happened? This is an old timey one and Andy goes, who's your whole pass with your husband? You know, she's been with her husband for twenty seven years, and like people are allowed to fuck outside their marriage if they have, you know, whatever. But he asked about the hall pass, and Jackie goes, well, that's obvious, and Jen goes really, and then Andy says say it at the same time, and she says, Evan Goldschneider. No, you're talking it's not Goldschneider. Isn't that Danielle from.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about that? Jackie?
Speaker 1: The other housewife of New Jersey? Yeah, it's gold that's Jackie Goldschneider. I'm looking at her. Picture right now.
Speaker 2: I truly can't believe that I never knew that that was her last name. I'm sitting here like, absolutely not. You thought I was talking about Danielle from Bitch Seshtal. I knew you were talking about Jackie. But then I go, there's no way that's her last name. Oh yeah, I just like, I've never seen her as that. To me, it's always more confusing and I always say Goldschlager. But anyway, but Jackie says, oh duh and says West's name, So that to me is so damning.
Speaker 3: And like it just is all me and why I would see her a lie about it. She obviously has evidence or she wouldn't be having this much fun online and being so obvious about it. But Jen was pissed that night, hmmm.
Speaker 1: And you don't get like just like pissed when you go with someone that you're like platonic with, like a friend, and they're not totally giving you all their attention, right yeah, because they're working like they're working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if it's like a date, you can be a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, if I was fucked by that man and I was being treated not like I would be pissed. Yeah, so that's that. That's how I feel. But I love being in the photos. I love being in the Bravo lore I love I love that I was there in the room where it happened. I mean, it's just like I was excited that I was in an episode of vander Pump Rules for one second in the background. Who knew I would be an evidence of a giant, weird fucking situation. And he was seen at an airport with another girl, like separate girl this week, like he is a fuck boy. We were charmed because he doesn't want like he likes trans people, so we were like, oh, he's a good guy, but.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, like he just uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And then everyone that met him at my friend's birthday party was like he was awesome and charming, Like he is a charming guy and he's hot. Yeah, but obviously, I mean, I can't wait for the reunion. I can't and I haven't even watched this season, but yeah, I can't wait for the reunion.
Speaker 3: I would watch the reunion.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched I don't watch Summer House, but I would watch this like it's Ariano Maddox was on Watch What Happens and it's like people are comparing you and see her and this and that, and she's like, why does it have to be the same.
Speaker 2: She's like there's similarities and differences and like we can still make money.
Speaker 3: Like what are you?
Speaker 2: I don't know, She's just I love her. I love her, Yeah, I love her. Oh my god, what a time? What a time to be a You're in the discourse. I'm in the Bravo discourse. It's like heaven. I wish I had a more Hawkeye experience. But my friend was sitting next to her in the audience, So she's the one that's telling me, like the vibe, you know, like she saw it all. Yeah, I was being you know, I was focused. I was focused on, you know, trying to make it in the Watch what Happens Live universe, so I couldn't focus any attention on Jen Fessler.
Speaker 3: Oh and there was Mother's Day. What was your Mother's Day? Vibes? Mother's Day was great for me.
Speaker 1: I left the day before and I drove up to Carmel with a friend and I headlined a show at a winery, a Mother's Day show, and it was really like they put us up at this like it's like it takes place at this gorgeous vineyard obviously in Carmel, where I was worried because Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor, and I was worried that they were all going to be like rich Republicans, and maybe secretly some of them are, but they seemed like like when I was talking to them, they were like, oh no, we're not, like that's not who we are.
Speaker 3: And I was like, great, amazing. It was a and it was a.
Speaker 1: Big crowd, and they put us up at like the big carriage, how like the big house on the property where they put up like bridal parties.
Speaker 3: And the guy goes, yeah, this place.
Speaker 1: Is like ten thousand dollars a night, and I was like, well, I'll never stay somewhere.
Speaker 3: This's nice.
Speaker 1: And it was so beautiful, like we walked out onto the balcony like mountains and vineyards in front of you.
Speaker 3: It was gorgeous. And you love wines that I love wine. So I had a blast. I had a blast. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, I wonder if I'll ever go to Napa. Like it's just like I don't like.
Speaker 1: Wine, and I wonder i'll go, I know, and it's so pretty and it's so nice to just sit outside and drink all day. But truly, like I think some of these places serve like beer, But like I don't know if it's like worth going up to Napa to just like have a do a beer run.
Speaker 3: You know, it might just never be a part of my story.
Speaker 1: Napa, Sonoma so many places that will be not in your but that's okay.
Speaker 2: I got to meet Heather McMahon, who I've never met in person.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and I was really happy to meet her. That was exciting for me.
Speaker 1: She's like a she's like a person that like had this huge ascension and I was like, I don't even know what scene she came up in, Like I don't really know much.
Speaker 2: About Atlanta, you know, but because she knows she people think she's a Republican and I was a part of that.
Speaker 3: Oh she's not. But she just gives like rich southern you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she's like awesome and I was really excited to meet her.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that's great. She seems like so she's always on much what happens too? Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's always girl.
Speaker 2: I've only been on once, but it's become a pretty monumental night.
Speaker 3: I would say it's pretty monumental.
Speaker 1: But you're not still not watching Beverly Hills. You're not like you're just not because you're you're in your reading era and you haven't caught up on that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm reading.
Speaker 2: I got even Mortal Kombat I had to watch in two days, Like I just I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't say this season of Beverly Hills is like a must watch by I'm just curious on your opinions on Amanda because she just seems like such a grifter. And then in the reunion they kind of like it felt like Andy kind of like let her off a little easy on the grift. But that's Andy. Everybody do be grifting, So I don't know, that's Andy. Speaking of Spencer Pratt, I did tell a man in the audience at my show, like, you look like Spencer Pratt, and they were all laughing. But then I high fived him afterwards, So I think we're good. But let's get started.
Speaker 3: This is like one of the best episodes. I'm so excited to do it.
Speaker 1: The usual announcements Liza's tour dates are at Glittercheese dot com. You guys can get merch at that's messed up live dot com. Also we've got the Lewis Lewis Lee Louise t shirt and also our Patreon we're doing some fun stuff, so get on over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's messed up.
Speaker 1: I mean Patreon dot com slash that's messed up. So come find us over there, get some extra. If you love this, you're gonna get more of it.
Speaker 3: So that's that. Let's get started.
Speaker 1: Okay, Today we are doing the episode Bound, which Sack wanted to do forever, a classic classic.
Speaker 3: We definitely if you're having a little bit of.
Speaker 1: Dejevous as we go through it, it's because we did have Anthony Rap on the podcast and he did talk about this episode a little bit, but we've not covered it because people have message just being like, am I crazier? Have you done this one? And I'm like, it feels crazy we have not done it, and here we are.
Speaker 2: But also if you're oh, who's there's no guests, so just no guests, I'm sorry, I don't think that's the same.
Speaker 3: I would have loved Jane Krakowski. Did we even did she say no? What happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said she passed, but like, I never see her on podcasts that much. And also but I and I worked with her on Drag Race, and she was so so sweet and she even seemed kind of shy. So I wonder if she just like was like, that's a long time ago and she only ever did this one episode of Us for you. So, but she was so sweet when I met her, and I love her. Only person I got a photo with that came on Drug Race.
Speaker 2: I would like to say we at least the audience knows we tried. Yes, we tried. We did our best, but we have least get to talk about it. It's a really good episode and it's like old, so I like it. Yeah, she might have been like that was twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: I've made a lot of iconic television between now and then, and I can't I can't remember, so who knows.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the beginning of the episode is one of my favorite tropes, which is a realtor showing someone a huge Manhattan Brownstone, going there's no wiggle room on the price and it won't stay on.
Speaker 3: The market for long. Then immediately something's not right.
Speaker 1: They notice smash items they quickly stumble upon a gray haired woman in a silky robe and a man lying.
Speaker 3: Next to her.
Speaker 2: On then and that's when you know this is going to be an old person at and that's it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but one of the vulnerable communities. Yes, that s few does touch on more than once.
Speaker 1: The prospective home calls the police very wooden and goes, I need the police. Two people are dead, and then just as she says that, the man starts gasping and touching her foot, going olp me help me. So only one dead body, cut to o'haleran giving the rundown. The deceased woman is Donna Brooks, seventy, no sign of forced entry, no security camera. She's been raped and strangled and they found traces of seamen. So the old guy is Richard Sutton and that's a name, yeah for sure, Richard Sutton. And he's possibly had a heart attack. And they tell Stabler like you can come with us in the ambulance and he's like, sir, what happened? And he's going, Donna, Donna, I'm sorry, and then they lose his pulse and they have stablers start chest compressions.
Speaker 3: He's in VFIB which I've been watching the pit.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of VFIB happening all the time, and they have to shock him a couple times, but they do get his pulse back and just Benson rolls up he's off in the ambulance and she's like, is that the victim? And he's like, more like the purp confusing, what's happening? Did this man have a heart attack in the middle of attacking this woman? No one knows, and Stabler's obviously saying stuff like that with little to no information and only an accusation. So then after the credits, we're at the precinct. Benson and Stabler are filling in Daddy Kragan and they're like, well, someton's still unconscious after cardiac arrests. He's in the cardiac I see you, and he lives alone on the upper east Side and they say he keeps to himself. Well, what's he doing with the queen of the charity balls? Maybe he's her boyfriend, Maybe they had sex. They argued he killed her and then he had a heart attack, or maybe he found her body and had a heart attack. And Warner gives the time of death at ten pm the night before and in walks Donna Brooks's daughter.
Speaker 3: She's not happy, obviously.
Speaker 1: And so they have her in wood room blinds because she's not a criminal, and they're asking her some questions like why are you selling? Why is she selling her brown stone? And she's like, the daughter's like, I forced her to. She likes her independence, but I just wanted her to spend the little time she has left with me and her grandkids. Because it turns out Donna was sick. She had lymphoma, and the docs gave her like a year to live.
Speaker 3: So she goes.
Speaker 1: I called her that morning, but I got the machine. I figured she was exercising. And it is two thousand and four, so people are still using innstring machines, even if they're extremely rich. And her daughter says, she worked out at every morning at five am, and she wanted to stay fit because there was competition for good men. And they're like, oh, so she was getting around, dating around, And the daughter's like embarrassed to admit that her mom was very sexually active with all sorts of men. And she doesn't know the name Richard Sutton, but she goes, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't know the names of most of these guys, and they're like, well, can you tell us any of the guys, and.
Speaker 3: She like a sludy elderly representation.
Speaker 1: Sludy in seventy, let's do it. You know, come on, you're so old.
Speaker 2: Because all you hear about is all of them always getting her pies. So I'm glad like you in the homes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harvey Cohen, the daughter says, was her instructor at Hot to Trot. He taught her how to tango, so of course we had it right over to the Hot to Trot studio. Benson cuts in on old Harvey and asks some questions about Donna, and she's like, so are you having an affair? And he goes, A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell, And then Stabler comes out of nowhere with a gentleman doesn't rape and murder his girlfriend. Okay, He like, it's one of those It's like one of those things, like that time that Finn comes out of the sidewalk, comes out of the building, like suddenly, Sailor's just there, and he goes, well, I had a date with her the night before, but I canceled it because she was flirting with another guy. During class, in front of everyone. I told her to take her boy toy and get out. And the boy toy's name is Ben Pauler, and he's young enough to be her son. So now we're at Ben's apartment where he's also in a silky robe, and I'm gonna tell you this is not the last piece of silk.
Speaker 3: We see this a lot.
Speaker 1: The wardrobe department was doing a lot of silky shopping this week. He's in a silky robe that's like half open, telling the cops about how yeah, he and Donna left class went back to her place. Stabler obviously, as always, is judgmental and grossed out by the forty year old age difference. And Ben tells Stabler, you should give older women a try, more experience, less inhibited and no chance of pregnancy. And he says, Donna's got a lot of dough that sweetens the pot, and they're like, had a lot of dough, She's dead. The man does not react, does not let a single emotion cross his face, and he goes, she was fine when I left her.
Speaker 3: No, she was satisfied.
Speaker 1: So does not mourn a woman whose body he was inside like yesterday. He just literally is like I didn't do it, and I fuck really good. Stabler grabs him by his silky little robe collar and asks what time he left her, and he goes nine p fifteen and he goes can any and Stable's like, can anyone verify that?
Speaker 3: And he goes Marian and on.
Speaker 1: Cue beautiful older woman who looks a lot like the dead woman, also in a silky nightgown, emerges out of a room with an alibi ready to go. She just walks out of the room and goes, I picked Ben up from Donna's at nine point fifteen, Like.
Speaker 2: It's just well, if it's right, you know, they're all mature, they don't go a fuck, they're just like using this guy for sex. But to have her, like to hear him talk so shittily about this other woman he's fucking like is that not a turn off? Like, ah, at least she was rich makes it even better. I'd be like, Okay, I guess I'm out of here, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't get And again, they're more evolved, they're older. Maybe they don't give a fuck, but it is upsetting, like you, you know, Donna, you went to the house to pick him up, like you don't like that he's talking about Donna like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess when you're in your seventies, it's like doggy dog. I don't know, but there's no girl code anymore. Who knows. They're just like but all. I just think it's weird that he goes Mary and she comes out and goes I picked him up at nine fifteen, like, was she eavesdropping or what's happening?
Speaker 3: They didn't even ask her a question anyway.
Speaker 1: As they re enter the precinct, Benson's being a little judge, saying, wow, Donna really got around, And Finn's got some info for them. He's like, Sutton is still intubated, so no one can see him, but I did some digging on him. The guys had four wives. The first three died of natural causes. The fourth one is still with us. She's also loaded, but she actually filed a sixty one for DV last year, but she dropped the complaint. So and the social Security checks go to an address in Queens. So now they're in Queen's and Benson is interviewing this woman and she does not remember that she's married to Richard. She says, Marty was my one true love, and then she talks about President Truman sending her a telegram. She has rapidly progressing Alzheimer's And Stabler is talking to this man that works at the place and he goes, no offense, sir, but this place is where you work.
Speaker 3: Is disgusting. Why is this rich lady here?
Speaker 1: And he goes, well, she had a lot of money until that snake Sutton got a hold of it. The guy filed a complaint. The guy who they're talking to, he's like, I filed the complaint, but nothing happened. And he also said, yeah, this guy beats women up. The last visit, I found her lying on the floor all bruised up, and Stabler's pissed. He's like, I you know, he doesn't. He doesn't like hearing about anybody getting pissed. But he's got a mom, you know, Ellen Burston's his mom, and he doesn't like thinking about anyone beating her up. So they go talk to Sutton in the hospital. He's fully on a breathing tube but awake. They start accusing him of stuff, but his mouth is literally stuffed with tubes, like he cannot talk, and he says he showed up at the house at nine he's writing everything down on a piece of paper and they say so.
Speaker 3: Mean to him.
Speaker 2: I mean they think he's guilty, and I get it, but he is of tubes, Like you can't stress him out, like he's trying to live. I don't know, it seems way to aggress that for a person that's breathing with a ventilator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like, could they not give this guy an under five? Like I don't understand why they, like why they did this whole writing down thing, Like they just must have been like, well, we can't afford another extra in this one.
Speaker 3: Because they could just have the guy drawing his words.
Speaker 1: So they start accusing him and he's like yeah, and he goes, no, I showed up at the house at nine am. The door was open. And then they're like, where were you at ten pm last night? And he's like, home alone, he's writing this all SHARPI legal pad and he goes, no, Donna exercises in the morning. All the windows were open, it was freezing. I turned up the heat. So now they've got to go back to Milinda because what's going on.
Speaker 3: I do love this kind of thing. I was just about to say I would love when it's science like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love when it's like, well, we didn't think about the kiln, right, wasn't there an episode with a kiln?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like heated up the whole thing. Like I love that, that whole thing.
Speaker 1: That's like you can sort of fake when a body is killed or by or like just the elements happen, and well the course.
Speaker 2: Think about doctor Michael Badden, and I think about mister Roger and the Helpers, and like, so much of police and justice and everything is a nightmare. But I just love when science and dedication prevail. Yes, yeah, obviously not the crime that I'll be talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a quick solution there, a nightmare, decades long, systemic nightmare. But oh I can't wait.
Speaker 1: But I mean I literally wrote in my notes. Now Melinda's clearing everything up with science. It turns out that the working out would have brought the rigor on faster of her body, and then the cold causes the decline in the body temperature. When they do all the math, Melinda tells them that it turns out that Donna was actually killed early this morning at six am, so not the night before.
Speaker 3: She was killed earlier.
Speaker 1: So How the fuck did this like creepy, creepy wife beater guy like know all of that. Like how did he know when he walked in to her house, even if he was there to fuck? Like, how did he know that? Like she didn't die the night before. It's like weird that he did that. He would know that anyway. Oh, maybe because she called him and said come over, let's fuck, and then he was dead.
Speaker 3: But like at six am, she was dead. This is really weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this guy's coming over at nine Maybe they had a date anyway, what do you mean? Huh?
Speaker 3: Or fucking?
Speaker 1: They're fucking? But like at one point did she say come over? Was it like the night before or was it like at standing appointment? Yes, she's dead at nine am. She's dead at six am. So anyway, Melinda says that she could help, and she goes, these ligature remarks are unusual, okay, And whatever strangled Donna, the killer took it with him, and so it's probably not this guy because he didn't have some kind of special rope on him when they found him. So she forwarded the image to the FBI, and they're like, well, let's get Huong to speed things up. He's our FBI guy on the inside. He confirms that the ligature is from a rope called static kern mantle, a specific climbing rope that doesn't fray. There's fifteen matches it in ViCAP but then with this type of mo and then they narrow it down to two after they enter in like the details about old age and whatever, and they find two other victims, Susan Zelman sixty five, killed two years ago in Brooklyn, and Claudia Wooding seventy, killed three years ago in Piermont, which is like thirty minutes upstate from Manhattan. Three women over sixty, all from the Metro area, all strangled with this specific rope. We've got a serial killer preying on the elderly. Done done So top of K two, they're at the precinct. They've got a lot of dead photos of old ladies. Put paste it up like it's a real collage of dead ladies, old ladies, and it's very jarring. And Craigan is adding the detail that all of these women were also rich. Okay, the gang is all talking about how old people are lonely, vulnerable. They're good targets and also the money doesn't hurt, you know. Craigan wants to help, wants to keep them o in house to avoid a copycat. One of the victims, named Claudia, had a son named Eddie. He's a schmuck. She disinherited him when he lost a bunch of money in the suck market. Now he owns a fancy car dealership. There were no suspects in Susan's murder. Her husband is wheelchair bound with arthritis, so he wasn't like a big suspect. And Craigan traffic cops everyone to go interview the deadbeat son and the widower, and we got to link these three women to each other. So now they're talking to Marvin Zelman. He's being pushed by a nurse while they walk him in the park, and he's telling Benson and Stable, that stabler that he'll never forgive himself for his wife's death. He was out playing bridge and she'd be alive if he hadn't gone out that night. And then meanwhile, Finn and Munch are interviewing the greasy son and he's like, Savior energy, I didn't kill her, and like we're flipping flopping between the two interviews. Greasy Eddie says, the bitch didn't leave me a dime, but she was about to kick the bucket anyway. She had lung cancer, and then Marvin is saying, yeah, Susan actually had breast cancer. But the day she was killed, they told her she was in remission. Who was the oncologist. And now they're in the office of doctor David Brelsford and they asked the doctor about these two ladies and he's like, oh, unfortunately they're both dead. And then he goes, I believe they were both murdered. Yeah, yeah, your memory is serving you correctly. These women were both actually murdered brutally. You'd think you would just remember like two of your patients in the past couple of years just getting murdered. He's like, I think they were murdered. So the doc's like, what do you guys like sniffing around about, like what do you want from me? And they're like, He's like, if I wanted to kill someone, you wouldn't know about it. You know, like basically doctors know how to do this the right way and very cool, very cool to admit that and say that. And they were like, where were you at six am, and he goes home and I live alone and stablers like, dude, we've got three dead women and they're all connected to you. And he tells them there's a whole team that cancer patients, so they're probably connected to a lot of people. There's the doctors, the nurses, the social workers, and then there's at home care. Sometimes they're like, oh, who do you use for that, and he goes, I use RDH. It's run by doctor Matt Spivak. My patients wouldn't settle for less. So now we're at RDH where we see the icon the legend. Jane Krakowski obviously thirty rock. Kimmi Schmidt, a Broadway star, maybe one of the most talented people we have alive. She's playing Emma Spevak, the nurse manager at ARDH, and she's like doctor Spevak is in a meeting, and she's so subdued in this, Like she's so different than like Jenna Maroni, you know, like and she's like, he's in a meeting, can I help you with something? And you know, they're like, oh are you guys?
Speaker 3: Are you his wife? And she's like, I'm his sister.
Speaker 1: And so Emma throws hippa immediately to the wind and confirms all three of these women are patients of theirs, and that nurse. I mean, I guess when someone's dead there's not as much hippa. But I don't even think they told the hitt she's a nurse.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Nurses have to follow hip as well, okay, And so like, I mean, I had to do hippo training when I was a receptionist at my mom's office.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Wow, So even even I was hippo compliant at one point. Now I'll tell anyone no, and she.
Speaker 3: Goes, uh, yep.
Speaker 1: All three women were patients of ours, and the nurse Deval was the primary for all of them. So now doctor Spivack enters a chat and it is friend of the pod and Broadway star Anthony Rapp, and he's like, you must be here about Donna Brooks. I saw it on the news and like, yeah, or maybe the other two women that have been murdered in the past couple of years that all have worked with your company.
Speaker 2: But old people just die, you know, and that's all were murdered. Yeah, for the sure, but I want I don't think it's that much of a smoking gun, because in my head it's like everyone's dying, some murdered, some not or maybe I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: A potpourri of murdered not murdered. You know, it's like who knows. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the murders would stick out in my head, but I guess not. And they bring up these two other patients and nurse Devall and they go, where can we find her? And they're like him, you sexist?
Speaker 3: You know? Does he's a male nurse.
Speaker 1: And it turns out Gary Deval, the nurse, was fired a few weeks back a patient accused him of stealing which patient? You ask, Donna Brooks? So where's Gary working now? Emma goes Meals on Wheels Now. They always reminds me of Twin Peaks. I don't know if anyone else has the same thing that watches Twin Peaks because Laura Palmer worked for Meals on Wheels and there was all this sketchy meals on wheelshit that happened in that show. They find Gary mid Meal on wheel and they ask him to take a ride with them to talk about Donna.
Speaker 3: And it's right as missus Rabinowitz comes to the door. She's very sad. She's like, don't leave, Gary.
Speaker 1: No one else visits me, and it's sad. So in cement room bars, Gary's like, I didn't steal from Donna. The bitch is lying, and they tell them, well, the bitch is dead, and he goes, well, I hated her, but I didn't kill her. And he said getting fired was the best thing that happened to me. And they're like, so, why do you have her house keys? And Benson asked, and he goes, I just forgot to return them. And then Sabler pulls out a watch with an engraving that says to Larry from Donna my beloved husband or whatever, and they're like, you forget to return this too, and he goes, she ducked me twenty dollars for being ten minutes late. Sabler goes, you took a ten thousand dollars Rolex fair trade, like it is wild. Like first he's calling this woman a bitch, saying she's lying, but he absolutely did steal from her, like I'm sorry, she's a Karen and reported you for being late, but you are stealing and car and Gary goes that old bat gave half a million to feed the pigeon.
Speaker 3: She didn't need the lousy watch.
Speaker 1: And then he goes, well, did you steal from these two women as well? And he flashes pictures of the other two and he goes, no, not Susan, I would never She's a sweetheart. And he's never seen Claudia in his life, even though RDH says that he was her nurse, and he goes, they're lying. Someone's setting me up. Check the files. So now Craigan wants to know if we can subpoena RDH's records, and Casey is there saying, I'll get started on the paperwork, but I want to get the files authenticated since he's crying. Frame job. So Casey goes to this forensic expert, this forensic document expert to get the files checked out, and they're like, well, Deval's name is on all the files, and she's like, ah, so he was lying. And then the woman goes not necessarily check this out. The two signatures are totally identical, and no one signs their name the same way ever, exact every time, like they slide them over each other on the screen on the slide and they are carbon copies of each other, which they call, oh, this is a guy actually talking to them, and he goes, we call this transposition forgery. So someone copied the signature, put it in the files, and then copy the files so that the pace job would be undetectable.
Speaker 3: And Deval was right. It turns out he is being set up.
Speaker 1: So now at the precinct, Stabler and Kragan are trying to figure this all out. They're like, it's got to be someone at ardy age. Deval is a good fall guy, like he is a thief, but like, why kill these women? And they're all like, well, they were all rich, and then Casey walks in and goes, yeah, someone made a mint off their debts, and I've got the wills to prove it. The beneficiary of all these wills was done done the Golden Memories Foundation, which is led by doctor Matt Spevac, So they think the doc's been killing old ladies for their money. In interrogation with his lawyer, Speedvac is denying it, and his lawyer goes, he's a well well known and respected doctor, and it's like, so is every doctor that has been fucking guilty of murdering their wife molesting their patients doing whatever. Doctors are not above anything, and he's like, why would I murder them? And they're like the money, and he goes, I don't need the money. The money goes to my organization and my company does well, I don't need these ladies' money. I started Golden Memories to give back. And then's goes, well, you gave these three women back to God. And Speedac's lawyer I should mention is Nicky Stains, who interestingly is in two episodes during season five and then they don't bring her back till season eighteen, and she's in seasons eighteen through twenty.
Speaker 3: Three, both as a lawyer and as a victim.
Speaker 1: She gets assaulted by Titus Welliver aka Bosh. And she's a good character, like a good recurring character, because she's like a bulldog lawyer.
Speaker 3: But then she becomes a victim.
Speaker 1: And you know, and she's a good lawyer too, because she's like, you guys have nothing. We're out of here, right. Speedvac looks a very smug in the bullpen. Stabler's pissed. He's like, I want to get this guy, and Wang's like, I'm not so sure he's guilty. And Stabler's like, you know something we don't know or is this just like a professional courtesy of Wong's like I'm giving you my professional opinion. He's like a doctor would have covered his tracks better, Like this is very sloppy, Like what's his motive? And Stabler's like money the best motive in the world, and Hwang's like, no, these murders were too personal to have been committed for profit, Like choking the life out of three elderly women is an act of rage, which is like true, Like if you're taking care of them, you could easily like put something in their food or whatever if you just wanted like them gone for their money, you know, like this is a rage act. So Craigan is like, we don't even know if Spivak got a dime of this money personally. But Novak says, we don't have enough to subpoena his finances. But the Golden Memories finances, Benson points out our public record because it's a nonprofit. So let's have a forensic account and check and see if the books are being cooked. So now we're talking to a lady forensic accountant who tells them that last year Golden Memories took in six hundred and seventy five thousand dollars and most of it was used to pay for two indigent patients. It's a lot, you know, that's like three three hundred plus k to Maria Franco and Andrea Robbins. And that's a lot of charity for two people, they say, and they and the woman goes, yeah, especially two dead ones. I checked with Social Security. These two women have both been dead since nineteen ninety six. She made us pay for it. She really played. She had fun that day at work, that lady. Yeah, she's like once in a while as a forensic account and I get to do something kind of fun.
Speaker 3: And here we go.
Speaker 1: So that's that's enough for a search warrant. Let's get going. So now Finn is in this nice ass apartment, just full. He's in Speedback's apartment and he's just fully narrating what he sees. He goes, look at this place, beautiful view, fancy art, expensive antiques. It's like very tell, don't show, I mean, we're seeing it. And then he's also telling us and it's all unpaid for. Apparently his credit cards are all maxed out on are all maxed out and it turns out the culprit is gambling from Atlantic City to Foxwoods, which is a place I've had some fun. He has been working up debts. They check his answering machine and it's a mean voice going Speedvacy elated and pay up and we're coming over.
Speaker 3: So Finn like, you know.
Speaker 1: Then Finn clocks a pick of speedback rock climbing, and Munch finds all his climbing gear and the rope is the possible murder weapon. So now back at RDH, Emma's walking and talking with Benson and Stabler. She's asking like, can this wait. My brother's in a meeting with a client. And she's like, Matt would never hurt anyone. And then obviously I can't wait.
Speaker 3: They're there. They're like, no, get him.
Speaker 1: So she opens the door to Matt's office and he's midpitched to this old lady and he's like, he's like, God, damn it, Emma, you dumb, dumb bitch. I told you no interruptions when I'm pitching, right, And then he sees the cops and they arrest him and cuff him in front of this lady and Emma's like, and he goes, Emma, what did you tell them?
Speaker 3: And he goes, she goes nothing, I swear Matt like.
Speaker 1: And also Jane Kerkowski's character seems very pilled up, like she seems like not all there right, Like she's very disassociating. Right, a baby voice, Yeah, she has a baby voice, but she's also kind of like her eyes aren't focused. Like she's playing this very well. I think she's excellent in this. I'm I'm surprised she didn't get like a nomination for like a guest at Maybe she did. I don't think so, though, because I think I just went through all the nominations the other day and she did not. At arraignment, Spevac pleads not guilty. Casey wants hermand he's a flight risk, and the judge is like, and he's he's trying to fight it, and the judge is like, unfortunately, sir, I have an eighty year old mother.
Speaker 3: So Spevac swears he didn't kill anyone.
Speaker 1: But nevertheless, Baylist said at five hundred thousand, Nicki stains tells Novak, listen, Casey, he'll plead out to the fraud, and Novak is like, no way. He pleads to three counts of murder two and I'll take the death penalty off the table. And Emma's like, but he's innocent, and the lures like, don't worry, babe, they're bluffing.
Speaker 3: They don't have shit.
Speaker 1: So next up, Novak and Benson is Tabler are walking outside and Casey's like, you know, she's kind of right, Like the fraud case is solid, but I don't have anything on these murders. Everything is circumstantial. Well, let's see if we can get anything from the sister. If she was helping with the fraud, we might be able to pressure.
Speaker 3: Her a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right, So when they roll up to Emma Spevack's building, surprise, surprise, cops are already there and they're like, oh, yeah, the gal from the nursing agency was attacked and almost choked to death. So when they get up there, Emma's like lying in a chair with this like little oxygen mask like pressed against her mouth and breathing, and there's choke marks around her neck, like really really like not choke marks, like ligature marks, and she won't say who attacked her. But then she starts talking about how her brother's been under so much stress and he needed some money and I told him I wouln't give him any more money, and he freaked out, Please don't hurt him. Then we got to the cops entering Speedvac's suite apartment, but no one is there, and they check his phone and on the caller ID there's a call at five five am from someone named Vivian Callous. So at Vivian Callis's home, they bust in and find yet another dead woman in a silky pajama situation, and Stabler then finds Speedback himself dead on the floor. And I do remember Anthony Rapp telling us that like Maloney pissed him off in this scene because he was lying there for so long covered in blood, and Christopher Moloney was like taking his time or like coming late, being late, or like wanting to do the scene over and over getting out. Yeah, yeah, it was like really making him mad because he's like I'm freezing, I'm like lying here covered in blood.
Speaker 3: Can we just move this on? Anyway? Go back and live like that episode he took it was nice.
Speaker 1: If anyone is interested in learning more of this, go back and listen to episode twenty seven of our podcast Lessons Learn Yeah he was an early get Lessons Learned where he plays a victim in like a school sex abuse scandal and from like when he was younger, and then he's.
Speaker 3: Also in this episode, so he talked about both and I can't believe it's twenty seven. I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so the act ends on Speedvac's dead body. So top of act four, there's zipin Broadway Legend Anthony wrap up into a body bag and Stabler is trying to rub it in with Huang being like that's our serial killer, and Huang's like okay. So Vivian Kallis shot him in the heart. She must be pretty good with a gun. And then our girl friend of the Pod, Judith Ciper CSU tech Judas Ciper is there going Actually she shot once and hit the ceiling and then the next shot was lucky and she got him and the lights were out, so she shot him in the dark, perfectly in the heart, like what's happening? And Csu found jewelry in Spevac's pockets. He was gonna rob her for some cash and probably hit the road, but she had a gun. The gun is registered to her, and her cause of death was a stroke and Huang is suspicious. He goes, I don't see any medications for hypertension or blood thinners, like, she doesn't seem to have any risk factors for stroke. And Stabler's like, well, she's an eighty year old woman with a man in her bedroom trying to kill her, like she was scared, and he goes, yeah, so scared that she popped a shot off in the dark that hit him in the Heartstone doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: At least someone's come to work to think.
Speaker 1: Yes, Because this is the problem with the cops is sometimes they go immediately with the first thing, and it's not always the thing right.
Speaker 2: But then during stucky it's the opposite. Sometimes what was the little thing?
Speaker 3: You know? Sometimes it is just.
Speaker 1: When you hear Zebra's when you hear hoof beats, it's horses, not zebras.
Speaker 3: But for that one, it was Zebra's right.
Speaker 2: And not to break again, I'm sure I brought it up, but I have peta Zebra Zori.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget you. Ooh, that's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the San Diego zoo and then you know, Zari's friend was Sophila r and the donkey, and then they bring the donkey in for a play day every single day across the zoo.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, I got clarification on the goats. Kara and Liza. The goats are sisters. Liza already had babies and she named them after Simpson's characters.
Speaker 3: Oh my mind. Kara's babies are Rosie and Oscar.
Speaker 1: Wow. Got I'll look up the Simpson's characters. I have the message from her. I'm sorry I forgot them right now.
Speaker 3: It's probably Yeah, I'd like some. I'd like to pass those along.
Speaker 2: So, k Melinda, I'd like to know how my goats are doing. Yeah, you're god goats.
Speaker 1: K Melinda were at her house and she's explaining how Vivian did have a stroke but it wasn't caused by fear. She goes, I almost missed it because her skin is wrinkled. But there's a puncture mark on her neck and the talk screen was negative. So my guess is that what she was injected with is air. And of course this is where we all learned about an air embalass. Like one of my you know, favorite learnings of the along with Pika and all the other things we've learned, is an air embliss is just like a tiny shot of air into the coroated artery, which can cause a stroke because it acts as a claw, blocking blood flow to the brain. We know that Spevac didn't die of natural causes, and now you're saying she didn't die of natural causes either. There must have been a third person in that room. And Melinda goes, well, only a health professional would know what an air embolace is and how to do it properly. And the only other person with the access to all these women who's a health professional.
Speaker 3: Is Emma Speedback.
Speaker 1: So at the precinct, they're running through the scenario, like Emma kills Vivian and then calls Matt over to her apartment, then kills him and puts Vivian's prints on the gun. Then then they're like, and then Emma strangled herself is then they're like, but then who strangled Emma?
Speaker 3: Because she was strangled.
Speaker 1: These people have been dead for a few hours, and Emma was strangled afterwards, and they're like, she strangled herself. She probably ditched the syringe somewhere, like you're not going to find the syringe, And then Huang throws stable or some climbing rope and goes strangle me, and he goes, I'll try. It's like very flirtatious for a second.
Speaker 3: Better too about it's.
Speaker 1: Very like choke me, daddy, right, even though the last episode we did just talked about how you know that's usually not great, but.
Speaker 2: I know I was thinking, I can't believe we're doing two choking right now. Back, Yeah, but it's found to happen right now. I'm choking myself slowly with smoke for decades, That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: So he is essentially demonstrating that if you're Matt Speback, you're six feet tall, you're probably choking these women. The marks are going to look a certain way because you're taller than them. But the way that the rope is angled downwards on all these women, it was probably Emma who did it, because she's like five foot three, and they're like, we need a confession or she walks on five murders. So they show up at Emma's house and she's like, I don't really want to talk right now, and they're like come on, and she goes, okay, come on in.
Speaker 3: It really takes them no time.
Speaker 1: She's like, truly such a Pushover's part of her character and she's like watching.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm learning.
Speaker 2: Whenever there's an old timy like a projector a projection, what are the words like a screen of projector old videos?
Speaker 3: Blurry? Nothing good, you cannot reminis. Yeah, it's the Carol.
Speaker 1: It's the Carol Burnette episode where she's like, you know when you go in there and someone's watching.
Speaker 3: But isn't it the j What isn't the one with the hoarders there's a video playing? Or is that a book? Am I making? Yeah? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think he's I think Wallace Shawn's got a video at some point for sure.
Speaker 2: You know the Wallace Shawn play that John Early is in his over three hours long with two intermissions?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, right, Am I gonna go to that? Wait?
Speaker 1: Did I already say sorry for telling you I thought that closed? I realized previews were over here. I no, I've been talking to people who saw it. I got it closed. I literally, I know, like right after we I said that to you guys, it was us on an interview, and I went back and I go, oh god, it was just the pre had closed. Yea, but the thing is just starting. I just thought it was. I really thought it was done because I was trying to see if John Early would be in LA for something anyway. So they they she's watching the old timey Clark Clark Griswold Casey, what is it?
Speaker 3: Seven millimeters? What do you call it? Eight millimeter films seven?
Speaker 1: That's eight milimeter Okay, So she's watching eight millimeter, like you know, spools of old home videos and and she's and she's like, uh, watching just old videos of her brother who who is allegedly a serial killer and also tried to allegedly kill you a few hours ago.
Speaker 3: So you're just watching these videos.
Speaker 1: And in the home video, it's really obvious, like you only see a few seconds of this home video.
Speaker 3: The mom is just pushing Matt on a swing.
Speaker 1: Matt is a light of her fucking life, straight up, ignoring Emma, Like Emma's sitting on a swing nearby, is not getting a single push, not a smile, not a glance. And then there's more video of mom and Matt dancing around while Emma just like leans on a it's really wild, and they go boy mom behavior, yes, very boy mom. And she's like, she's like, when does your mom die? They ask her, and she goes, seven years ago, how did she die a stroke?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 1: She turns off the home movies and they asked her, Emma, who choked you? And she goes, I told you it was my brother. And she goes, well, the problem is and she goes, I already told you this, Why are you torturing me? And they go, well, the problem is when you called us, your brother was already dead. So and she goes, well, I passed out. I didn't call nine. Well, oh my god, I said nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: I read it.
Speaker 1: She goes, I passed out. I didn't call nine one one until I came to. And the music is swelling, so like we know we're about to get something good.
Speaker 3: And Emma kind of knows she's caught.
Speaker 1: And when they tell her like they've ruled Matt out on the death of Vivian callis, Emma's like, well, if I think of anything, I'll make sure to call you right away. So now Stable and Huang are trying to sell Novak on exooming the body of Spevac's death love an exhamation. We love to wake the dead.
Speaker 2: I want to know the costs of it.
Speaker 1: It's a lot I have to imagine it's a fucking lot to do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we do like to wake the death, oh we do.
Speaker 1: There's just no way that that's a cheap thing, especially because it's like the city probably has to do it.
Speaker 3: You know, they're overcharging for everything.
Speaker 1: They got to dig it up, they gotta jack open that coffin, they probably have to replace it. Then later they've got to bring them to the medical examiner. Then it's the medical examiner's time of re examining this body, which probably involves all this technology to like rehydrate skin and shit like that. I bet it's a very expensive question. And we have we have listeners who work in morgues and stuff. So if anybody knows the general ballpark of an exhamation, let us know. I'm not checking ai. Okay, And who do you have to petition to?
Speaker 2: I want to know who's This is something that we could ask doctor Michael Batten maybe one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the excavation petition board?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's that? Yeah? I don't know. I don't know because I don't know why judge just grants it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like based on what and then they have to pay for like based on what I want it. I want to know do you need evidence for it? Or if I'm the kid, I could be like, I want my mom dug up.
Speaker 1: I think if there's enough circumstantial Yeah, if there's new evidence in a case too, and you need to test DNA, they'll ex they'll e zoom someone. Well, this is what happens because okay, so now they explain that Matt got all the attention. This this gal is killing old ladies to get back at her mother for not loving her enough. She set her brother up, she used his climbing rope, and we think that the mom was Emma's first victim. And Emma's not gonna let us dig up her mother and she's the only like living kin. So do you know any friendly judges? Cut to knock, knock, knock on a door. He opens it, but Vincenzo from It takes two. It's Judge Joseph Turhun played by Philip Bosco, and he sees Novak standing there and he's like, what the hell do you want? And he's like, I'm in the middle of something pretty important and he lets her come in and we see it's kind of one of the best scenes we've ever seen. It's basically it's basically that famous poster of dogs playing poker, only it's all the iconic judges from SVU that play poker together.
Speaker 2: Well, and what he's got thing with judges and poker, because this is a big part of the movie Rounders as well. And I'm assuming this happens a few other times or it's just these two and they're that important to me. But the movie Rounders, there's judges playing poker and like he's the pot, you know, he like impresses them and tries to get an internship.
Speaker 3: You know, I guess it makes sense. It's like old men with money.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I mean, you know what, our girl Lena Petrovski's there too. It's Judge Ridden or Ridden Hoer. It's Judge Bradley and Judge Wiler. So it's a lot of fun judges and they're all looking at their cards. Casey greets them all and goes, I've had this nightmare before, only I was naked and Petrovski barely up and goes charming like she's so good, and.
Speaker 3: Then I don't I'm not team Novak here. I'm like that was weird, but I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: I think she's trying to make a joke because she's like, so, she's so nervous, like she's in front of all these judges that whatever. And then cause it's like you're already asking for a bit of a stretch and then you're going to ask it in front of all these judges. So she explains what she's there for, and he goes, you want me to disrupt the sanctity of the dead on yours say so?
Speaker 3: And she goes, well, I've.
Speaker 1: Got a convincing but long argument that will disrupt the sanctity of your poker game, and so literally, just to not interrupt this poker game, he signs it and tells her to get the fuck out of there. I mean that's what happens. Like she kind of knew when to go, so she's smart. I don't know if her argument would have actually convinced him if she had gone to him at like, you know, the lunch hour in his chambers. But now we're at the graveyard with Melinda and she's explaining that. They're like, what do you think the condition will be? Like this body's been in the ground for seven years, and she's like, well, new York State requires cadavers be embalmed, so the skin should be intact in order to find this like pinprick that's seven years old. Although I saw something in the wiki that says that New York State actually does not require cadavers to be embalmed, so that's a inconsistency, but I don't I didn't dig into it deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Benson and Stabler.
Speaker 1: Benson and Stabler start checking out the found the stone.
Speaker 3: You've found the embalming Hole plot.
Speaker 1: It just happened to be the wiki, which I use for a lot of my like casting, just to check who's no of course you or like, So.
Speaker 3: It just happened to be down there. So uh.
Speaker 1: At the graveyard now they're checking out the family headstone, and I've never really seen I guess something like this where all the names are on the same stone, like the fucking Weird Day. It's weird, like it has Emma and Matt's names on them, even though Emma's not dead. And they start they are talking about and then they notice that their birthdays are the same. So not only are Emma and Matt brother and sister, they're twins.
Speaker 2: So so they made it seem like Dun dun, Dawn twins. But it's like, is it weird if you don't go we're twins and you just say we're siblings.
Speaker 3: I don't know what are the rules. It's not weird.
Speaker 1: I just I think it makes the I don't know, it's a little bit weird to me that the mother has this heavy preference for these children that are would one is the same age, like I mean, because like sometimes it's like, oh my older one is easier. I can dance with my older one, and they owe like my that's my first kid. Some people act like that or like whatever. But no, because I think it's girls. I think it's like, oh my boy, no one loves you like a son. And then it's like, I don't know, it's just different.
Speaker 2: Like you know, we've watched those videos online where it's like I already am nervous she's gonna want my clothes, or like I just I just think it sucks with a girl. You know, it's like internalized misogyny, is what I what my gut reaction was when she was talking about their relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and definitely I thought that too, because it was just so was not even attempting to look at her daughter in this in these home videos. But I think that the twin thing is really like it's just symbolic in terms of the script, like they talk about how they go. She was born two minutes after Matt, but she's been following in his shadow ever since, so he's like two minutes older than her, and like those two minutes made the whole difference because he's she's never been able to live up to, like him being like the golden child, which is on the parents right, not on her, And Huang says that's why she used the rope. She hates her brother, but she's bound to him. And Craig is like, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is fascinating, but it doesn't help us get Emma. Like he does not care about like all of Huang's like symbolism. He's like, I don't give a shit, Like how are we gonna get how we're gonna nail this chick? So Melinda as usual, goes well this will help and appears out of nowhere with a file folder to save the day. She's got pictures of the mom's mamma fied neck and you guessed it. The puncture wound is there, so Stabler's gotta try to work Emma, and you gotta be careful because she spent her whole life hating her mother. Like, if you confront her about this, she probably won't talk. She needs an ally. You need to reenact the sibling rivalry, Whong suggests. So, so now they bring Emma into the precinct and Benson is laying on the good cop like so thick, like, hey, we just wanted to bring you into apologize to you, like we searched Matt's apartment and we found the rope.
Speaker 3: It matches the women.
Speaker 1: And Emma's like about to leave when she's like okay, so I can go. Now when Stabler opens the door, goes you you come here like talking to Benson, and you know, obviously we know this is role play. He's he can be a dick, but he never talks to her like this. Master.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fully like just cop acting at its finest.
Speaker 3: And so he uh opens the door.
Speaker 1: He brings Benson out into the doorway, but leaves the door open so she can hear everything. And he's being so condescending to her. So they're amping up this big performance and finally Stabler like says to Emma, like, you know, you knew your brother was in debt and using the foundation to cover himself, and you didn't do anything. And Emma's like, no, I loved my brother. And Stabler's just being such a dick. He's telling Olivia to shut up. He's saying women shouldn't be cops. They're too weak and stupid, and then he storms off and Olivia comes in in tears, I mean, like she's got her eyes are welled up. And Emma's like, does he always talk to you like that? And Benson's like you heard him. He's in charge, like you know how it is, and she's like holding back these tears and like Emma's like, I get it. I was always the good girl, the helper. Emma, do this, Emma do that. And Olivia's like, my mother was a drunk. I had to carry her to bed, wash them vomit off of her. I thought I would never escape, and Emma's like, but you did. And Benson goes and after she died, that was the only time I ever felt free. And I wonder if any of this is like true and mothers are all the same.
Speaker 3: Emma says, you try to be good to them, and all they do is treat you like dirt. She had cancer.
Speaker 1: I took care of her for five years while Matt was in medical school and doing his residency. Mama used all her money to pay for his schooling. And they're like, oh, and he probably just like took you for granted and didn't appreciate it. And she goes, he made me work for him. He made me take care of all those women that were just like Mama, wash my clothes, walk my dog, clean my fridge.
Speaker 3: I'm like, is that.
Speaker 1: I guess that's part of the home care health thing. And so she goes, they all thought my brother was a god. But I took care of them. I did all the work. And they're like, you had to do something with Matt's rope, and she goes, yeah, then I was free. And they go just like with your mother, And she goes yes, and they go, how did you do it?
Speaker 3: She goes, with a little shot of air. It always worked so cool.
Speaker 1: When I was in nursing school, I would see daughters by their mother's beds, trapped, watching their lives disappear. So you help them, Yes, I set them free? They go, how many of them? And she goes dozens and she goes, do you remember any of their names? And she goes they were all called Mama, And she has like tears streaming down her face silently like like while she's doing this, like she does a great job. Jane Krakowski and that's dick wolf baby, So.
Speaker 3: That's like a great episode. It is.
Speaker 1: Let me just clarify something. So she's air embolisming everybody, and then you think that she ratchets it up and decides to start strangling them to frame her brother. Yeah right, it's just interesting to change ems kind of, but yeah, it's a frame her.
Speaker 2: She might have continued still air embolising. We don't know how mny yeople. She's murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That's true. She's a murder Yeah, she must have Like damn, she must have done a lot of research. I had to know Vivian owned a gun. She must have like really planned out a lot of stuff and like that this woman would be like at her house working out at six am and she could just kill her, like I don't know, it's pretty.
Speaker 3: It's kind get free, get away from your brother, like what's up. Yeah, let's go to another state. All right, but I'll move it along. I'll move I can't wait to hear what you got for us.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is about Dorothea Puente and it's the Death House Landlady, which and it doesn't fully connect, but there are elements and then it's just interesting.
Speaker 1: So I will also say that there's another case that this people think this one is based on. But the woman that they caught did they didn't catch her till two years after this episode. WHOA The case was unsolved when this episode was on, but it could still be based on things that are Yeah, but they didn't know that this woman was killing people because she had hatred for her mother. Like I don't think they could have known that until they found her.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, like they didn't even know to how to connect them or whatnot.
Speaker 1: It's not I don't think that they Gilgo. It wasn't like she was a fugitive. Yeah, or is it like the Gilg Beach. I think it was a Gilgo Beach. They didn't know who did it and then they finally linked it together like in two thousand and six, I think to this woman in this other case. But yeah, but I'm excited to hear about Dorothea.
Speaker 3: Wait what was though?
Speaker 1: Her name was Juana Barassa, a Mexican convicted serial killer and former professional wrestler known as La Mata Javietas, which is the old lady killer in Spanish. And she killed sixteen elderly women and was sentenced to seven hundred and fifty eight nine years in prison, but was not apprehended until two thousand and six, and this episode came out No.
Speaker 3: Four. I just think that's kind of crazy too.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually not that crazy because, as we always talk about the same vulnerable communities get hit time and time again. Yeah, so, and this is an easy place for killers to go. Okay, so, but this is this one's actually kind of different. So November eleventh, nineteen eighty eight, police were looking for a fifty one year old missing man named Bert Montoya, and they knew he was living at this boarding house in Sacramento, California. Once they got there, the detectives got some info that made them start digging up.
Speaker 3: The area in the yard.
Speaker 2: Like some neighbors, we'll get to like the exact stuff where like something's up there. Yeah, And over the next three days they started finding bones and bodies and seven bodies were discovered, and the number one suspect, of course, is the landlady. We have Dorothea. She was fifty nine years old. And about her, so this is the about me section. So she was born nineteen twenty nine January in an order and like spent time in an orphanage, did in form attachments with caregivers.
Speaker 3: A life of like violence and abuse was pretty normal for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the nineteen sixties she'd already been married three times and served some time behind bars for forging checks. You know, everything was about survival, and when she got out of jail, she started sex work to survive. And then she found the world of caregiving. So you need little qualifications, so the world opened up to her in her mind.
Speaker 3: So yeah, caregiving.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty one, she started renting a apartment in downtown Sacramento and became the caregiver of all these other tenants in this Victorian boarding house. She met sixty one year old Ruth Monroe. And you know, she was living there after her husband died. She didn't want to live alone. She was gone two weeks after she moved in. Her son says he came to see her every day. And the last three days she was super sick, and she had a drink in her hand and she didn't drink. So he's like, well, what up with that, and she goes, oh, it's a drink Dorothea fixed for me. It's to calm my nerves. He didn't think anything of it. You know, everyone was friends. They were friends, so, you know, nothing suspicious. The next day he came back, she was like catatonic. He sat next to her and said, you'll be okay, but she just laid there. And then the next morning she was dead. And then Dorothea was like, oh, yeah, she took her own life, but no one.
Speaker 3: Really fully believed that.
Speaker 2: But then in August nineteen eighty two, she was back in trouble with the law and she was abusing her position as being a caretaker of her tenants, obviously, and so she pled guilties to fraud because she was signing the backs of social Security checks and cashing them for her victims and like keeping the money, and so she was sent to a woman's prison. In nineteen eighty five, she was paroled and came right back to the home she was on parole, but that did not stop her, and she went right back to taking victims social Security checks and keeping the money. And she did that for three years, fully undetected. And they came and went until November nineteen eight, when a local social worker, Judy Moyes, filed a missing person's report for Bert Montoya. He suffered for mental disabilities and suffered from schizophrenia, and her house was his last known address. So the detective John Cabrera was looking into the case and you know, ran a check on this caretaker. And then on November eleventh of eighty eight, Cabrera, his partner Terry Brown, and a parole officer, Jim Wilson all decided to visit fourteen twenty six f Street and search for clues. He ran into Judy and Judy said you better bring some shovels, and Cabrera was like what, And She's like, listen, I've driven by this house in the past. I've seen mounds of dirt back there. It looks like a burial ground. So they got some shovels.
Speaker 3: And they, you know, they knock.
Speaker 2: She answers, she's dressed nicely and goes, oh, I was expecting you guys. And when they asked what, well, you know, what's up?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: And she goes, well, I am in violation of my parole. I'm not supposed to be running a boarding house. But you know, she did get away with it for three years, and it's because she seemed harmless, charming.
Speaker 3: She did the whole old lady thing.
Speaker 2: She would take her teeth out sometimes, and she told people she was ten to fifteen years older than she was. She wanted people to think she was just like a kind elderly lady, okay, And she was stealing from them. And then to keep them quiet, she murdered them. And she likes poisoning them with this drug alcohol combo. She would bring the victim then to this death room and leave them on the floor till she was ready to deal with it, and sometimes the bodies would lay there for two to four weeks. Now why this is important is because John Cabrera pulled back the carpet and he recognized the odor. It was disgusting, and he said it was the smell of putrefied body fluid that would seep through the wooden floor from the victims. So that's like that was a clue for him. And then on November twelfth, eighty eight. The next day, they're about to get into the yard and she's on the balcony watching them, and like she obviously knew what they were gonna find. He found a femur bone. She goes, oh my god, what do you think this is? I can't believe it. Oh my gosh. I mean lots of people have been here living here. I've been to prison for three years.
Speaker 3: Like fuck.
Speaker 2: She was like, if you find more bones, I didn't put them there. So then the deputy corner Laura Santos, and she's like a bad bitch. She was in charge of the excavation. And so anyways, Dorothy is not charged or anything, because like just because there's bodies there doesn't mean she did it.
Speaker 3: You know, like we need some stuff.
Speaker 2: And at one point she asks him I under arrest, and John's like, well that's strange. She goes, no, why do you ask? And she said, well, all this is making me nervous. Can I get a cup of coffee and meet my nephew at the hotel? And he agreed and they walked over to the hotel and he went back to dig and then they found a leg and then another body, and like just more bodies, and.
Speaker 3: The superior is like, where's Dorothea.
Speaker 2: Well, she called a cabin escaped, so she's so she was the lamb for five days and they ended up calling the FBI. I mean, I'm sure he got yelled at, right John like fuck bro, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go go hang out with your brother at the hotel. We'll call you if you need you. So so dumb. So they called the FBI to try to find her.
Speaker 2: But they did continue digging and seven people were found in the yard. Some were just like a few feet from the sidewalk and there were no witnesses, so that's pretty wild. And then some of the heads and hands and feet were gone, so no one even knew who these people were. And most of them did not have teeth, and a lot of these people, i mean, it's this boarding house there are strange from their families. A lot of these people were homeless, so it's hard to identify them. But our girl, that our coroner, she identified every single one, okay, And then she also then had to find out how they all died, and they all had the same drug in their bodies, but none of them had prescriptions for this pill. And it's dal mean, but guests. Who was prescribed it Dorothea, So No. Seventeenth Dorotheo was found. She was actually spotted by a man in a bar in La and she she was He was drinking with her, and then he went home, watched the news and goes, oh my god, holy shit, I drink with that woman. So he calls the LAPD. They find her immediately, and I do like that. She likes to get down. So eventually she was charged with night murders. It is serious. People did die, but so at nine murders, Ruth Munroe's death was then added to the seven that were found in the yard. And then also a seventy seven year old man named Everson Gilmouth. He became penpals with her when she was in prison, and then when she was paroled, he went picked her up and brought her to the boarding house. And within months he disappeared, and he was laying in a homemade coffin along the Sacramento River in like eighty six, early eighty six. But he was a John Doe until the case broke and then his family reached out and they're like, you know, we're looking for her father. And then she remained on remand for four years waiting for this trial because she really wanted a trial outside of Sacramento for f fareness whatever, So they did hold it in Monterey County, which is nearby. February ninth, nineteen ninety three. The trial starts August twenty sixth, nineteen ninety three. After deliberating for twenty four days, the jury found her guilty of three murders, but deadlocked on all other charges.
Speaker 3: Listen, oh you're gonna die, okay.
Speaker 2: So Cabrera was pissed because of all nine charges of murder, like seven were so similar, there's no doubt, there's no doubt she should have been guilty for all of them. Why only three out of seven while four of the bodies went eleven to one and one juror said no, he didn't believe that what happened.
Speaker 3: What that's crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was like a mistrial and other six charges and everything was annoying just because of one fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: I honestly want to punch him in the face.
Speaker 2: And the December tenth, nineteen ninety three, she was sentenced to life in prison without parole, and she was at the Central California Women's Facility. She did release a book called Cooking with a Serial Killer two thousand and four. Okay, she died in twenty eleven at the age of eighty two. There's obviously, like still questions because how did this lady move these bodies?
Speaker 3: Chop them up? Bury them? Like who helped her? Right?
Speaker 2: Like she she was lying and saying she was older. But it's like some of these dudes are giant, you know what I mean? Look at his body almost yeah, like and it's just chopping them up. Where are the heads? Like, yeah, yeah, pretty wild dorothea.
Speaker 3: Pretty wild stuff.
Speaker 2: So and I think I wonder if she wasn't old, if this story would have connected to this crime or not. Like it is different but also a thrill I guess and heard about it, and a lot of.
Speaker 1: It's like a little bit combo of what Krakowski's character was doing. But also that guy, the Richard Sutton character, because he's marrying no, he's stealing social security checks from these women, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know a lot of the stuff I found was like the most evil woman, one of the most amil criminals that corize. They asked criminal and it's like or an average guy criminal, I guess, like you know what I mean. Yeah, but no, she's an evil person and basically, like a lot of I watched a doc thing about her and it was everyone just being like, so I heard, these people are means to an end. It's like she needed money. She could get the checks and that's that and that's all she really cared about. But the world of caregiving interesting to me. So this is the Charles Cullin case. So he basically administered lethal doses of medications to patients that were under his care.
Speaker 3: He was a nurse.
Speaker 2: He of course considered himself an angel of mercy, helping to end his patients suffering. And he did admit to killing up to forty patients in his sixteen year career with intentional drug overdoses. Okay, so his old navy bunkmate, Okay, not the store like he's.
Speaker 3: Former navy roommate. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So to The New York Times is quoted saying he called him socially inept and that was his whole life, and everyone was like solitude, solitude.
Speaker 3: No one liked him, never had a friend.
Speaker 2: Neighbors from childhood in West Orange, New Jersey, said he was the youngest of eight siblings. Quiet and awkward as fuck. His father died when he was an infant, and then his mother died his senior year of high school, and that's when he joined the Navy. He was just charged in nineteen eighty four after he did try to take his own life, so he had an inability to bond with others, a lot of disciplinary problems, odd behavior, and moving to new places for a constant fresh start. In eighty seven, he graduated nursing school and married Adrian Tobb, so he was on the dating scene and got his first nursing job at Saint Barnabas.
Speaker 3: There's no way that's the Why always say it?
Speaker 2: I think it's just Barnabas, sure the medical center. This is actually so serious, Okay. So in Livingston, New Jersey, a woman who worked the burn unit with him said he was quiet and stubbornly private, and over the next eleven years he had nine jobs. He chose jobs and drugs that would not draw much attention, and he was able to continue mostly due to systemic failures of like hospital and government systems that do a bad job weeding out people who aren't patients. And then like there were complaints, there were inquiries, things happened, but people in charge were neglectful and didn't look deep enough into any like previous allegations.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 2: Ever, ever, employers never reported him to one another or an oversight agency or law enforcement because they were not required to. So these like harm freaks they do. They work nights, they work shifts. People don't want you know, it's like quiet, and the hospitals have shortages, and so these people come and work at night, and they work in cardiac and intensive care units where death was often expected. You know, it's a lot of gravely ill and unconscious people. So then and then also there's a minimal human interaction with these jobs. Remember he's a weirdo, isolated, no one likes him, so so he gets to alone with these patients. There's no sounds, and it's again common for medical serial killers to work at night with the sickest of patients. And eventually he became even more isolated because Adrian divorced him in nineteen ninety three, claiming that he refused to talk to her or sleep with her for years. She accused him of beating their Yorkshire terriers and zipping one of the dogs into a bowling ball bag, which to me, I think is kind of funny. And I don't know if that makes me a freak? Am I a killer? If it's a small little dog putting it in a bowling.
Speaker 3: Bag wall Yeah, I mean I don't think that's a big deal. But the dog did not debt. I mean, did he kill? Did he? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Compared to everything else that goes on, I mean, I'm glad he didn't put his kid in there. I'm just saying, like a Yorkshire Terrier is a four pound dog and don't kick it. But putting it in a bowling bag, ball bag, bowling ball bag is funny.
Speaker 3: It feels like it could have been way worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just had like an old memory resurface of like a purse I used to love that looks kind of like a bullet and I was like trying to like place it in the time of my life.
Speaker 3: But it was like gorgeous. Fuck.
Speaker 2: So she accused, Okay, yeah, the bowling ball bag, ball bowling ball bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it. Oh God, Okay. So he lost custody of his two daughters.
Speaker 2: Obviously, he moved into a basement apartment and lived there for ten years, and then when his marriage collapsed more erratic behavior, and it's filled into his work life. He smashed a window of a coworker's home. He went into the home while her and her son slept, so he was booked on felony charges but released, And then he tried to take his own life again after the arrest and took two months off of work, got some psychiatric help, and on August tenth, nineteen ninety three, he pled guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and sentenced to a year's probation. Then for the first time, he's accused of murder. So that's August thirtieth, nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 3: Helen C. Dean is ninety one years old.
Speaker 2: She was recovering nicely from a breast cancer surgery, ready to be discharged. A male nurse not assigned to her room entered, told the son Larry, to leave, gave her an injection that no doctor ordered, and then when the son goes back in, she goes he stuck me, And then this.
Speaker 3: Is New York Times.
Speaker 2: And then Larry and Helen Dean complained to the doctors and nurses pointed him out.
Speaker 3: No one took action. She was released.
Speaker 2: She did look green, and then that afternoon, she suffered a heart failure and died. Larry Dean told the prosecutor's office that his mother had been murdered and knew who done it, and like, you know, the emmy confirmed there was an unprescribed injection that happened and it was degoxen degoxen degosin digoxin I think digoxin digoxin some digoxin, which is a common heart medication but can be fatal in large doses. Eventually, though, the case is dropped, but then a new prosecutor reopened the case and exhumed the body.
Speaker 1: Get her up, Wake up, wake up, wake up, the sun is up.
Speaker 3: Come on. I feel sick, but like, yeah, I guess if someone else heard us, be like I love when they ezuom a body like that is fucked, but it is, It's just real.
Speaker 1: Case is less but on the show when they do it, it's so dramatic.
Speaker 2: But this is fuck but yeah they so they a zoomed journal for and during this time though, he stayed working at Warren Hospital, so he harassed the colleague, showed up to her house.
Speaker 3: Why would you fire him?
Speaker 2: You know, murder accusations, but let him work, my god, and also just giving an injection that's not authorized would be something to be fired for, like what what.
Speaker 3: Are we talking about? And then so then they go, you know, like two suicide attempts.
Speaker 2: Not that people like shouldn't have full lives that survived, but like a site commitment, maybe they shouldn't be a I don't know, a site commitment outsid from a job, criminal conviction, allegation of murder. All right, So then he ended up leaving on his own December thirtieth, nineteen ninety three, right before New Year's He wanted to switch, so he wanted to leave his past in the past, and there was like so like, he just kept on moving places. In ninety seven, fired for Morristown Memorial for poor performance, and then he's just like spiraling behind on child support. He had a pet ferret, another attempt on his life, confrontations with doctors.
Speaker 3: And not again, no friends.
Speaker 2: They keep repeating it, and eventually he did file for bankruptcy. So then he went into the nursing home worlds. You know, these these predators find where to go. So Liberty Nursing hired him February tenth, nineteen ninety eight, and he seeks out the sickest patients and immediately went to the vent unit where and that's lingo for ventilating. So May eighth, nineteen ninety eight, Francis J. Henry rushed in an ambulance to the hospital. And then Liberty Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is getting calls and people are like, excuse me, who gave a insulin?
Speaker 3: Who gave him insulin?
Speaker 2: They fired a different fucking nurse who said, it's this guy.
Speaker 3: She goes it is not me. We both had so.
Speaker 2: Mister Henry died on May nineteenth, and they fired Kimberly Pepe, who said Colin had equal access to her patient because he was taking care of the roommate and she gave him all this info.
Speaker 3: They let her go. They let her go. She sued.
Speaker 2: There was a settlement, and eventually Liberty couldn't deny that Colin was, as The Times writes, a menace.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so Kara, this is just the beginning. So, oh my god.
Speaker 2: October nineteen ninety eight, two other nurses saw him enter a woman's room he was not assigned to, with syringes in hand. They don't know what happened if the injections were given, but the patient ended up with a broken arm. Liberty finally fired him, but did not report him to state or the Stateboard is of Nursings.
Speaker 3: I added, says it's just the State Board of Nursing.
Speaker 2: So then two hospitals called Liberty for references on him. They did not pass along any concerns about him. He got a job within a week at in Eastern Pennsylvania Eastern Hospital.
Speaker 3: Okay, right away.
Speaker 2: And then right away a man named Ottomar Shram crashed and died and was given degoxin, which is off limits because he is a pacemaker.
Speaker 1: This guy doesn't even wait, he doesn't even settle in why I'm a job a week, can't can't even help himself.
Speaker 2: So then mister Cullen advised the daughter, Christina Toff, like, oh girl, you don't need to do an autopsy, like shit happens. And then years later when everything came out, she's like, holy shit, that's the guy who told me not to do a fucking autopsy on my dad, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's the end of the New York Times.
Speaker 2: So then Northampton County Coroner investigated all this for eight months, never thought it was accidental, like they knew there was a crime, but I ever asked the DA's office to open a criminal inquiry. So then three years later, Culin already at another hospital. And then so ly Sick is the coroner, and he gets a call that Cullin was involved with Shram's death. We don't know who. Someone contacted him, there's a tip. So he contacted the state police. No one connected to the Dots, nobody that like, or to the deaths and Liberty and the Warren. So then Lysick, the coroner, said, when he called Easton, they said Culin never even worked there. And the hospital says that was an accident and that like they weren't trying to mislead the coroner on purpose, that it was like truly an error because he came from like a medical agency they didn't hire whatever, or the hospital's fucking lying and covering their ass, we do not know. So then he moved on to Lehigh Valley Hospital March nineteen ninety nine and he went straight to the burn Ward. So then January tewod two thousand, he tries to take his own life again via carbon monoxide. And that's a midsommer shit. Okay, yeah, fucked shit. They found like everything plugged up batteries out of everything, just smoked smoke in his apartment. So he left the So he left that hospital on his own. April twenty eighth, two thousand and then the Times is amazing and they write he had gone through seven jobs, had been forced out of three, had survived at least three or four suicide attempts, had endured four psychiatric hospitalizations, had evaded three investigations into suspicious deaths.
Speaker 3: But finding work, though, remained easy. Oh my god. So now we're at Saint Luke's hospital.
Speaker 2: It's two thousand and two, and Saint Luke's definitely sounds like a soap opera. Cops arrive at because there's angry and worried nurses and they're like, listen, we have a former colleague who fucked with medications and we think he played a role in the deaths of patients. The hospital doesn't want to investigate. They let him quit quietly, but like, now he's working at another hospital. So the nurses gave over all this evidence and they're like, listen, there's all these meds that are being mishandled, and why would you take drugs that you can't get fucked up on or don't have a good resale value, like if they're not recreational or money making drugs, what is the mishandling about? Right, So more patients died when he was on duty. Finally a nurse called the state police and they brought in doctor Mehilachis forensic pathologists, and he handled Helen Dean's death at Warren Hospital years earlier, but found nothing whatever. So then the State Board of Nursing sent an investigators Saint Luke's and nothing. Moved along to Sacred Heart Hospital in Allentown and he okay, So then he left Saint Luke's, went to Sacred Hearts while all these investigations are happening. Worked at Sacred Hearts and was fired in sixteen days. No one liked him, so then he's hired a month later by Somerset Medical Center in Somerville, New Jersey. And that's what prosecutors called his deadliest work, his last job.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Finally an arrest Jesus So June o three, it was clear he was up to something, you know, finally, so then hospital computers caught him right handed.
Speaker 3: So that's what happened.
Speaker 2: So June sixteenth, a cancer patient and critical care unit suffered a sudden, life threatening heart malfunction, and blood tests showed huge levels of degoxin. I can't degoxin, a drug not prescribed to her. She recovered but did die three months later. So then the computer.
Speaker 3: What the fuck? I know, it's like crazy, I'm only laughing. I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: So then the computer systems showed that during Colin's ship the previous night, he had called up medical files all the woman jin Kyong Han, even though she was not his patient. So then we also have a computerized drug dispending cabinet and dispending dispending whatever.
Speaker 3: That's a fucked up word.
Speaker 2: But I know about Yeah, I know it, But why is it spelled wrong because I typed.
Speaker 3: It like that. I don't care, like, but I know about this because of Nurse Jackie.
Speaker 1: So then the Pixis system is fucked Nurse Jackie's life up.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I think it's cabinet came into her life and fucked it up.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like when the Finding Nemo Fish came and like they had a new filter and their plan was gone, and they're like, yeah, which should I make a meme of Finding nme ow nurse SHACKI, meme, do you think references from eighteen years ago would hit?
Speaker 3: Ah? So okay.
Speaker 2: So the PIXIS system also showed that hours before hans heart malfunctioned, Cullen ordered a dose of degoxin for another I can't, I can't. I want to say it for another patient who's also not prescribed the drug. And even before that, there were a series of fucked medication errors. So two patients suffered life threatening drops and blood sugar that could only have been caused by insulin overdose. But the hospital did not reassign or suspend Colin Cullin and let him come and they let him continue to work in the critical carry unit.
Speaker 1: Is he a nurse, Yes he is. He's a registered nurse. Okay. I didn't know if he was just like a medical assistant or something. And I was like, he's allowed to give these injections after like after, I think he's God.
Speaker 2: So then weeks later, Reverend Floridian Jay Gall comes in. He's sixty eight, he has pneumonia. His sister Lucille remembers seeing Colin one night, and then hospital records again showed that he reviewed this patient's file, even though not his patient on June twenty seventh. Later that night, Colin ordered the medication for another patient again who has not prescribed it. And the next morning, this reverend had heart failure.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The hospital did nothing, no autopsy, nothing, and like they they clocked that the symptoms are the symptom of a degoxin like overdose or whatever, but like they didn't put it together. They're like, I guess this just happened. So then again four incidents happened in one month July. First they bring in outside experts but let him stay working and then did not tell the state police or health department yet. So then doctor Stephen Marcus is so annoyed, and he's the new Jersey Poison Control Center executive director, and he's like, are you guys fucking stupid? And also I've been recording all these conversations you moron hospital, So he's recorded everything.
Speaker 3: He's pissed about everything.
Speaker 2: He finally reports the case to the Department of Health and Senior Services.
Speaker 3: So then all these people are investigating from all over.
Speaker 2: Colin is still working, and then a patient has a non fatal insulin overdose on August twenty seventh, and then on September twenty fifth, the Department of Health learns that the hospital never reported that incident. So then state officials are like fuck fuck fuck. So then eight days later, another patient suffered a wild drop in blood sugar and died forty five minutes later.
Speaker 3: And it finally turned criminal.
Speaker 2: Sixteen years after this man became a nurse and started killing people. Oh my god, Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest started a big thing. And then October thirty first, Somerset finally fired him for lying on his job application.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 2: So then finally, finally, I keep saying, finally, December twelfth, he was having spring rolls and drinking a beer with a date in a restaurant and then authorities surrounded him. So it's very SVU like to be eating a spring roll and get arrested. And he went quietly, and his nursing license was still in order. So if they didn't arrest him, he could have gotten another job as a nurse.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: He pled guilty to twenty two murders in New Jersey and seven in Pennsylvania, and then six attempted murder confessions as well. He did have to sit for the victim impact statements, and it was four hours of nearly two dozen relatives of like dead people just talking to him, thank God, and Judge w Armstrong gave him eleven consecutive life sentences no parole.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 1: The thing that's so fucked up about this is like this, I've obviously listened to two seasons of doctor death on podcasts, and like there's always nurses that are other nurses that are like reporting shit and people are not listening to them. Like there's always like hospitals just like ignoring concerns from nurses. I feel like about doctor bad, about doctor malpractice and sometimes other nurses. And if we had like listened to one fucking nurse at one of these places, Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our fail. But it's also like I feel like I want to know where he is in prison.
Speaker 1: It's like you got to hit these places where the money is. If that first guy who had said, remember the one who's whose wife or was it Helen Dean, the one who was like he stuck me, Like, if that guy, if that woman's son or whoever, had like sued them, I bet they would have gotten this guy off the fucking shoe.
Speaker 3: You don't have the money or the wherewithal to sue you guys.
Speaker 2: There's a Netflix thing Capturing the Killer Nurse The Good Nurse, A true story of medicine madness.
Speaker 3: It's like Charles Cullen. It came out in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe I'll do that for sister Peg Capturing the Killer Nurse. WHOA, I'm definitely gonna watch that because or not, or I'm just gonna be mad, but I mean I'm mad either way.
Speaker 1: He was an excellent nurse. They're saying he knew medication like I had never seen.
Speaker 3: I guess it's like I just want to know.
Speaker 1: Like in the show, she's obviously got some fucked up anger towards her mom, and she thinks she's liberating these women.
Speaker 3: What is this guy's like?
Speaker 1: Does he just like to see people fucking suddenly die because some people are recovering well and so they're gonna be fine, and then he's like, bye, you're dead.
Speaker 3: I just like to see people die.
Speaker 1: It's probably just like a weird god complex of like I can just kill people whatever I want, like with this little shot ough all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah crazy, I mean this is Oh what I was gonna say is like you want to trust professionals, but you can't. You can't trust anyone ever, Like what a fucked up lesson, what a life to live? But like all the like, you can't trust anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You go and there's a nurse and suddenly you're you're green and no one's listening, Like you have to fight at all constantly.
Speaker 3: You cannot be polite. You cannot be polite. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh that's like it's just really crazy that you would go through so many places and then there's like no checks and balances for in some of these vulnerable communities.
Speaker 2: Well they do it on purpose, because who do they pay bad people that take care of your grandparents, Like it's not a lucrative job, like you would think you would pay those people more, but like being a caretaker, you get treated bad at bad hours. It's not a good job and you don't get compensated well and you get treated like shit. Yeah, and it's like gross, and it's manually, it's like a lot of fucking it's a hard ass job and of course no one gives a fuck. So then you get these psychopaths or theas that are like y'all take care of these motherfuckers and then no one checks on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh well, well yeah that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well thanks for doing all that research. I mean, I'm like reading about this other lady who got caught afterwards. It's like so crazy when someone gets caught, like after Suu's already done an episode about it or something like, or a crime happens after the episode.
Speaker 3: That's exactly the same.
Speaker 2: All right, let's patterns naturally emerge. I always say that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into our post mortem. Well, no guests this week, as we mentioned, so oh, I mean the post mortem on this one. I feel like you got to get out of your brother's shadow, Like, let's, I don't know, develop another interest, get out of nursing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's like so terrible. It's so terrible. I feel like when there's.
Speaker 2: The reason doesn't matter, that's the day at the end of the Oh yeah, but I was like, at the end of the day, I just I don't care about your reason for murder.
Speaker 3: Right, no, of course, But like her trauma comes.
Speaker 1: From like a life of being like neglected for me, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I know it's not as as severe, I guess, but it's like I know parents that pitted their sons against each other, like one went to private, one went to public, and like, oh my god, they tried to make them compete and do weird things like evil people procreate and yeah, and women hate women and themselves and like so you know that we talk about the boy mom thing where immediately it's like, oh, the girls, we're gonna fight, Like yeah, I just the hating themselves manifests in the hate of others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean also it like, yeah, it just goes against the whole, Like you're supposed to just like love your kids unconditionally, not on the condition that they like perform better than another one or are better at sports or academics or anything or that, like you know, beyond like just being like accepting them like sexual orientation or gender anything like that. It's like you can't just like the one better that like does better in school or whatever, you know. And I feel like you see that a lot, you know.
Speaker 2: Even if it's not this aggressive, it's just like the favorite. Yeah, it's like unshuted bias comes out everywhere. Yeah where It's like, what is this a horse race?
Speaker 1: You're like, I think I'm gonna put my money on this one. They're gonna do better. Like what like they're your children, so you know, yeah, you know most people shouldn't have children. That's just what I'm thinking. Oscar's playing indoor soccer. Gave up halfway through the game. He goes, this is too loud for me, and he sat on the bench and he talked to a grown woman the entire time, who I did not know.
Speaker 3: That's him.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not gonna be like, uh, you need a Soper scholarship, get out there, you know, but so strange.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay, this is okay. My brain went. I watched a video of like people being like if you're a parent that like flips out at your kids sporting events, you're like the word you're a bad person, you know, like you're an unwell person. And then that made me think of I saw a clip and it's missal Jones, who I do enjoy the content, but then like some other finance woman talking and this woman goes the first part I agree with, like brides should pay for their bachelorette parties, like the idea that everyone should pay for the bride's house and bride like if you're doing an elaborate vacation. You should pay for the home or like you should pay for the things and then people fly or something. But I agree with that, like if you're doing these extravagance, or at least pay for yourself, Like I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I paid for myself at my own bachelorette and I a bunch of food, Like I definitely be myself.
Speaker 3: Like that part I could, I agreed with.
Speaker 2: And if you can't, like make it more low key, like to ask people to spend thousands and times it's absurd, But then they go and I'm done with the birthdays. I'm done paying for the birthday girl dinner? What are you a child? I have to pay for the dinner? And I just wrote being so against like getting a treat for your friend on their birthday is the darkest thing. That is so dark to be annoyed that you have to pay for I can't that like was too far from me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is true darkness. This has to be for content.
Speaker 2: You can't truly be annoyed to pay for your friend's birthday dinner.
Speaker 1: Everything's rage bait. Now they like know it's gonna make you furious.
Speaker 2: You don't want to pay for your friend's birthday because I remember my parents being annoyed because Russian culture, it's like I'll pay for the party and you bring gifts or cash, you know what I mean. So then it's like, okay, you either get a gift or I'm paying for my own dinner, but you can't have both. And in high school, for some reason, we bought this girl of Tiffany's bracelet all together and paid for her dinner, and my parents were pissed and we had to pay for our own.
Speaker 3: My parents were like, what the fuck is this culture? What the heck? Well, so I wouldn't so if I'm throwing apart, but it's different.
Speaker 2: But if you go to dinner with your friend whose birthday it is, and you are like, I'm a I'm not putting in for her.
Speaker 3: That is dark. You don't just me that's the gift.
Speaker 1: To me, It's like, we don't really, I don't really give, like do a ton of birthday gifts really, And I'm like, the gift is that we're all taking.
Speaker 3: Out to dinner.
Speaker 2: I don't know that makes sense to me. Yeah, Like to be against that is weird. Yes, it's like it's a joy or it's like it's kind of like when I get into gifts or like doing stuff it's Christmas and people go, oh this, I go, I don't feel that stress, Like are you so void of understanding where other people come from that I don't have your stress with it to me. My Christmas shopping's done in November, bitch, I'm excited. Like people like putting their own shit where it's like oh god the birthday and it's like, no, you're a bad person, Like you're a bad person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also so easy.
Speaker 1: I'm not like you. I'm not like a big gift person and that's fine. The dinner is so easy. I'm like, this is so easy. They were going to place, they like, we're gonna all have dinner, We're gonna have fun.
Speaker 3: Oh it's all them drinks. Is another thing.
Speaker 2: It must be rage bait because then they said, well, am I gonna get this in return? Like if I pay for your Like, am I going to be getting my dinner paid for it?
Speaker 3: And I go, oh, get out of here. Because that's also a.
Speaker 2: Thing like my gift giving has nothing to do with because I have tons of friends who aren't gift givers or don't give a fuck or don't remember birthday and that's not their thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would ever forced it.
Speaker 2: I think that's where the issues come from, is like, you know, expecting people to like go I don't know, I don't know, but like and if you're broke or if you like, if something is going on or you can't afford, like that's different too, or if that person's taste is very up. But then if it's a real friend, you would like talk about her, don't go to the dinner.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's just like but like they really I hope its rage bait because.
Speaker 1: Through financial troubles you're like, hey, I really can't afford the dinners or a way I can like take you for coffee.
Speaker 3: Or we can oh I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what's someone in the comments like I'm done doing these big ones. I don't like the other friends, but I'm happy to take my friend out to dinner totally totally, but like I.
Speaker 3: Like the other friends is so good.
Speaker 1: I don't really want to be with that whole group, Like yeah, because I have friends who.
Speaker 2: Are definitely not gift givers and I would never be mad at them and I wouldn't I wouldn't want them to feel pressure, and I wouldn't I would expect them.
Speaker 1: To give at the level of thoughtfulness that you give, because that's like a skill of yours.
Speaker 2: I also don't if I buy you a breakfast for your perthday, I'm really not thinking about it when it's yeah, I really, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like all this like kind of etiquette shit that people talk about is not really rage bait, like they're really trying to get you, like.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think it's like isolate, like it's ye're right, it's it's people that are only on the internet or something. It's not real life, Like I just can't imagine being like, no, I'm not paying for your birthday dinner?
Speaker 3: Why are we? And it's like there's five of us, like we'll each put in fifteen dollars, Like I just I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been at countless birthday dinners. I cannot remember one where someone's like I'm not actually gonna put in for the birthday girl or the birthday boy. Like I've never experienced that, So that's anecdotal. I don't know if that's like a new thing happening, But you are.
Speaker 2: Both wealthy people, because like that's the thing don't we talk about, Like when you're looking for a spouser partner in this idea of like wealth comes up, but it's like it's actually generosity is what you're looking for. Like wealth, you could still be a frugal, like bad person who's.
Speaker 3: Not you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you're a millionaire and you're at dinner with people that aren't millionaires, you should cover the tab.
Speaker 1: When we went out to dinner with my When we went to Italy and we went out to dinner with my.
Speaker 2: Tell exactly who I'm talking about. Who covered a big tab for me recently? Yeah, yeahpfull Hopefully maybe she heard me talking shit.
Speaker 1: Well, we went out to dinner and we saw our friends in Italy. They took us out to dinner. They would not let us pay, even though they were putting us up. We were like, this is crazy. Then they come to New York. We put them up at our apartment where we have much less space than them. We slept on the couch, they slept in our bedroom. We took them out to dinner. They they did the same thing they would only they would pay. They paid for a couple dinners and then the last one, Jared went behind their back and paid and their two friends had joined us. They acted like he was insane. They go, you don't even know these people, the new people that joined, you don't even know them. Why would you pay for them? They went like crazy. We were like, we got it, it's fine, like it like so be h, yeah, be be the kind of generous that infuriates Italian people.
Speaker 3: That's that's what ever we should aim for.
Speaker 2: Well because even like I know that for a fact that they're richer families than me growing up, but like my mom would feed anybody at any moment, and it's actually rude if you didn't eat. And I had friends that they're like, well we can't eat the fruit. My mom says that's expensive, or like that's for the lunch, and it's fine, like every family is different.
Speaker 3: It's lunch.
Speaker 2: It's like it is just like you know, culture whatever. But I don't know. It did rage me if that was the point of like are we have we gotten? So not wanting to be uncomfortable or like stretching for a little or just like having joy from treating a friend on their birth but like I just can't.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a like like a subway take designed to infuriate the Internet or something.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, everything's a take. Now, I'm like scrolling my phone and scrolling and who are you?
Speaker 3: And why why am I listening to it?
Speaker 1: Everything's to take now, Okay, let's get into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to I.
Speaker 3: Have a heated rivalry thing.
Speaker 2: I do have to talk, Okay, So in the Vegas Airport, it's me being humiliated, you'll like it.
Speaker 3: So I'm in the Vegas king go on.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I'm at the Vega but my flight's delayed for four hours, and there's no Delta lounge, but there's Centurion AMX lounges. They're both at forty five minutes to an hour wait, but one is only thirty seats. But I'm like, you know what, I'm here for four hours, like I'll fucking I'll wait. I'll wait to get into this thing.
Speaker 3: And I'm reading my book and so I'm like reading while I'm waiting, I'm walking. Did I buy something at the Kate Spades store at the Vegas Airport? I did?
Speaker 2: But I always wonder who's buying stuff there, People with delayed flights waiting to get into the Centurion lounge. Yeah, that's who it is. That's who it is. And so I'm finally let in. I'm at the bar, I'm having a good time and a woman comes and it's my bookmark, which is someone gifted it, but it looks like an actual photo.
Speaker 3: It's like cannon on the background.
Speaker 2: It's a printed, like four x six glossy photo, but it's of Shane and Illy from the show. So it's like, So she the woman from outside comes and goes, it was is this yours?
Speaker 3: And I go, yeah, it's mine. I'm like, this is humiliating, Like you just knew it was mine? And she's like, you know, I looked around the lounge. It's like when I.
Speaker 2: Saw you reading, she said, She goes, you're the only one reading. I was like okay. But then the bartender ended up loving heated Rebberry two. She showed me photos of her going to the disco and since or the rave like so elderly, and it was her birthday and I was gifted two separate packs of heated rivalry stickers on my journeys. So then I got to give her stickers for her birthday, and it was like a really like fun kind of oh that's cute moment, but listen, oh about gifts. So I did two nights at a hotel and then I did four nights at a friend's house and they and like when I got to my room, they have gifts for me. And I go, why do you have gifts for me? And they said, it's a Gwyneth Paltrow thing. Gwyneth said to if someone's staying at your house, you should have a welcome gift for them. And Chelsea Fagan is someone I follow and she she does little baskets in the guest room too.
Speaker 3: But I got three heated rivalry bracelets.
Speaker 2: And a sticker pack, and then in Vegas, I got a sticker pack as well, showering you, And yeah, I love it. I mean it's very sweet and I use them a lot. And having more and more heated rivalry stickers makes me more generous because I was acting stingy and now I have so many duplicates and fun ones. So I sent out some letters, some cards. Well yeah, that mean for me, it's so it is so real. I felt so red in a way.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I was just at my friend's house who's Canadian, and she was like, oh, I'm going to be in Canada for most of the summer, and I go, oh, are you going to the cottage? And she was like, oh, you know the lingo And I was like, it's heated rivalry, bitch, Like it's like, come on, it's.
Speaker 3: Also I think it's like six thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: She thought, I just but she thought I just knew that they call lake houses cottages. Like I was like studying Canadian lingo to like be able to speak to her or something.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, I have to study the people that choose not to watch the show because there's like a certain attitude that I hate.
Speaker 1: It is where Canadians are like watch it, I don't want to and it's like it's a export.
Speaker 2: I go, like a full Canadian production, all Canadian music, and you're just six s up and you're just like for what, But I don't watch Marvel and so like, I have to stop being so judgmental. But I just I find their reasoning sinister. I don't think it's coming from a neutral place or like you know, Nikki Bell, he does the fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he I saw him on a pod clip and he was just like, yeah, I'm like, well, someone said I watched the first episode and I got the gist, And I go, what other show would you say that about? Like that's so psychotic to watch an episode be like got the gist, I go of a ten year love story from what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you watch the first episode Game of Thrones and you're like, I got the GISTs. They're gonna fight people. Everyone wants to be king. I get it.
Speaker 2: And so Nick he said, he goes, well, I'm gay, so I don't need to watch gay things because I live the gay thing. And I'm like, this is what Matteo always talks about, like gay guys only supported women for so long, Like I think like even gay guy could like stand up comedians like Mateo is one of the first, you know what I mean of that kind of level, like and he had to become very fuckable, like he he had to put on thirty pounds.
Speaker 1: But you should watch it if you want more gay representation in stories.
Speaker 2: I know because someone I Yeah, it's like it's very it's all very interesting to me, you know, I'm a sociological person. Yeah, you know what I mean. But yeah, it's so that's but to be like, yeah, I'm gay, so why would I watch a gay thing. I'm like, that's such a weird take to not I Yeah, I just don't get it. But again, I don't watch Marvel, so like I do separate myself from a lot of the culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess there can be Jean, is that you don't like like Superhero which I'm also not really into that genre, and I saw a Black Panther, Like there's something I saw Deadpool. Yeah, like some things are a sensation.
Speaker 3: Go watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just not gonna blindly go to every single thing in that genre, but like many many people do, or just like I love Marvel, I'm going to that, you know.
Speaker 2: But going to Mortal Kombat made me connected to those people. I understood something where I go oh, because people are like is it good, I'm like, I don't really know how to answer that. But I have the time of my life, Like I don't you know what I mean, Like I don't know, it's fun. Like some people die, but then they also there's like a lot of realms, so no one's really dead because the realms are ever changing and the lightning can bring you at any moment, and you could be not good at fighting, but you will win.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think the other thing is like, if you've tried a genre and you don't like it, that's fine. So are you when somebody says that they don't want to watch that like heat a rivalry? Are you saying you just don't watch romance stuff like anything where there's a romantic relationship, you don't watch that, And that's fine. If you're a person's like I actually don't like romance. I'm like, I don't like romance. I'm not into that. Maybe that's fine. But if you're just like, nah, that's not for me, we have to investigate a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Well, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: So I talked to some I'm actually gonna text him right now, but I was talking to someone who's like, I just really care about hockey, so like I wanted more hockey. And then I watched an interview with Jacob Tierney who was like, the show is so much about their memory. It's like their story. So it's like they didn't remember the hockey. That's not important to them. It's like what you remember is seeing your crush and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: You want a bunch of quick cuts of guys playing hockey, Like they don't play a professional level hockey.
Speaker 2: That would be hard, you know, but this guy wanted hockey, and I well, but yeah, watch Mighty Ducks, Like, fuck yeah, watch hockey. There's hockey, it's on, it's available all the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into what WWSPD What would Sister Peg Do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to more information about what we talked about today in the episode. You know, an organization, a book, a doc, and this week we wanted to point you to the Netflix documentary Capturing the Killer Nurse, which is all about the heinous murders committed by registered nurse Charles Cullen, who Lisa covered. There are just so many murders and some researchers even say he could have killed as many as four hundred people.
Speaker 3: So if you want to know more about this.
Speaker 1: Freak, check out the doc that's on Netflix, and that'll be linked in our show notes and saved in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram page, which is That's Messed Up pod, And you know, you can go on there to talk to other people about the episodes and share comments and fun times.
Speaker 2: Thank you and fun times for me, fun times, And next week we'll be doing Venom. Speaking of Superheroes, Season seven, episode eighteen.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good one. We'll see you guys next week. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 3: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Koperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Amer and everybody at exactly right media.
Speaker 3: Dun dun h