Speaker 1: Going to cook.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, everybody, Welcome back. It is Thursday, August sixth, and the Yankees have an off night. Hope your off day is going well for fans. An off day for the team is also kind of an off day for us, right, I mean, this is the first time in thirteen days that I'm not doing a postgame show, and it's weird. I don't know what to do with my hands. I've been playing the new Madden It's okay, but I'm ready to talk some baseball. I just saw, actually a trailer for a new John Taturo movie which is called The Only Living Pickpocket in New York, which I can only assume is about John Carlos date.
Speaker 3: I kid John Carlo.
Speaker 1: Something I like to do time from time to time on this channel is I like to take a step back and look at the state of the team, because I know not everyone is as psychotic as a lot of us, as the people in this chat, as me. Not everybody watches All one hundred and sixty two, especially when the Yankees are getting three or four hits in a game, scoring one or two runs most games, and even when you know the people who are watching probably aren't watching every single pitch. I like to kind of just reiterate some of my thoughts, just some of the storylines so that everybody can kind of just stay on the same page and know what's going on with the team. So every once in a while, I like to walk through where the team stands, the recent storylines, what's coming next, just to set the stage, you know, for what might be coming down the pipe here. And we're entering a pennant race and for a lot of the diehards out there, some of what I'm gonna say might feel redundant because we talk about a lot of these things on the channel all the time. But I want to give some of my first impressions of the new players that the Yankees acquired at the trade deadline. I want to talk about our new rookie shortstop, George Lombard Junior, who has been nothing short of sensational. I want to take a look at the state of the American League East end of the wild Card, because it seems like the Red Sox are coming. They are right on the Yankees heels right now, and I want to figure out exactly how they're doing it. Also, we got some voicemails to get to. But let's begin with the summer of George George Lombard Junior, because he has taken the city by storm over his first couple of days of his career. And look, it's only been a couple of games, but he's been impressive. Nobody should be fitting him for a plaque and monument park yet. But you can see why the Yankees are so excited about this kid. It's instantaneous to recognize how good he is at shortstop. I mean, he is just smooth as soak, already too defensive run saved which is half as many as Volpi had. And there's been a lot of talk on social media about, oh, we shouldn't compare Lombard to Volpi. He take it easy on Volpee. Guys, can we be real. This isn't daycare, This is a professional baseball team. This is competition at the highest level. Of course we're gonna compare the shortstops that are available on the roster.
Speaker 3: Of course we are.
Speaker 1: And so far, George Lombard Junior seems like the best shortstop defensively that we have.
Speaker 3: Bar Nutt.
Speaker 1: The arm strength is clearly elite, clearly elite the athleticism jumps off the screen, the diving play last night. I mean, there were some legitimate, legitimate concerns about whether or not he would hit major league pitching.
Speaker 3: But he already has a home.
Speaker 1: Run and a hard line drive single, so he's looked okay. He's only twenty one years old, he has not had a lot of experience at the upper levels of the minor leagues, but he has not looked overmatched through the first couple of games. The first thing I look at with a young player, and I'm not expecting these guys to come up and hit three hundred or hit for a ton of power. I want to see if the moment looks too big for them right. I want to see if they're chasing pitches that are nowhere near the strike zone. I want to see if they're taking close pitches right and trying to work the count with some kind of a situational awareness. And so far, he's looked comfortable, and he looks like he's doing that, and he keeps getting on base. He had a nice stretch at thirty games in the minor leagues, and he's been on base in each of his first two major league games.
Speaker 3: So very impressive. We haven't seen enough.
Speaker 1: Yet to know exactly what kind of offensive player he's gonna become. There's gonna be adjuntments by both Lombard and by the league's approach to him. And there's gonna be stretches where the pitchers are finding weaknesses. They're attacking those weaknesses trying to exploit them over and over and over again. But I feel confident that he's got the baseball IQ and he's been around the game long enough that he will recognize is that it's a chess match and occasionally you have to adjust. And that's the thing about great athletes. They're able to adjust. And he is a great athlete. He comes from an athletic family, and the athleticism just jumps off the screen. They clearly believed that he could step up as the shortstop, and that's why they didn't trade for anyone at the deadline. Now, a lot of people were upset that the Yankees didn't really do anything to address the middle of the infield that the deadline, and that's because they knew this kid was coming. But I wish that they had called him up before the deadline, because when you wait till after it makes it feel like the move was a response to not improving the roster. In other ways, it's like, well, we didn't get an infielder, so let's give him George Lombard. And I don't think that's fair to him, right. He's not some consolation prize. He's one of the best young players in the game. He was the top twenty prospect Baseball according to MLB Pipeline, and he deserves to be evaluated on his own merits. One of the things we've heard about the Yankees recently, and it's become obvious to those of us who are watching, is that the offense is boring. It's slow, it's predictable, it's waiting around for somebody to hit home runs. Lombard at least could bring some energy, could be a base hit guy, could be a guy who runs the bass as well. That's something we've seen with some of the younger players is they have speed. Lombard is fast. Spencer Jones is fast. Now Spencer Jones strikes out too much, he swings and misses too much, and we'll talk about him later, but he has got all the athletic talent. I mean, he is truly remarkably remarkable athletically, both of these guys. But Luis Garcia Junior, the other Yankees pickup or one of the other Yankees pickups at the deadline. He was brought in via trade from the Nationals. Through the first couple of games, I see some positives. You know, he's had some really good at bats. He had an eleven pitch walk yesterday. He has looked comfortable. You know, some guys get to the Yankees and they look uncomfortable, and you can tell right away they look uncomfortable. Devin Williams, for example, never looked comfortable as a Yankee. I mean he always looked like he was about to throw up.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You ever seen that movie The Scout where the guy throws up on the mount. I always thought that was gonna be Devin Williams. Garcia, he's just kind of loose and relax, like, bring it on, let's go. But he's a New Yorker, and New Yorkers they have that you know, gusto right he is.
Speaker 3: He is not afraid of the big moment.
Speaker 2: He's got titanium nuts.
Speaker 1: I already hit a big, two run, go ahead home run in his debut. They lost the game, but that was a huge moment. He also got picked off, and that's been a recurring problem for the Yankee, So clearly he understood the assignment immediately. But putting that aside, there's a couple of things that have impressed me with him. One, he's a pretty good first baseman. He is only ranked in the fifty ninth percentile, but he's got a really good arm for a first base baseman. His foots, his what's it called footwork looks incredible around the bag. He looks like a real first baseman. The other thing is his bat speed. He has got very very good batspeed. Now it only shows him to be in the seventy second percentile, but that's still basically top.
Speaker 3: Quarter of the league.
Speaker 1: You look at the MLB percentile rankings, a lot of red on that screen man, and he gets a lot of hits to all fields. He's got over one hundred hits this year. You know, I think he's gonna be good. Just going by the eye test, I think he's gonna be pretty good, you know. And the thing about guys with bat speed is they can let the ball travel, they can swing late and still do damage. Is a bat yesterday the eleven pitch at bat that he had where he ended up drawing a walk. It reminded me a lot of that seven or eight pitch at bat that Juan Soto had against the Guardians in the Pennant where he hit the home run. And there's already been some comparisons between Luis Garcia and Soto, not from me or from really any of the Yankees people that I've heard. They might have talked about it a little bit on the broadcast, but it was really from the Nationals. They saw him as a Wan Soto type when they got him. He got up to the major leagues really young. He didn't take off like Soto did. He's been kind of a later bloomer. But he's still just twenty six years old, and he's a big dude. Six one two, sixteen, got power, bat speed, hits for contact.
Speaker 3: Two years ago he hit two eighty two.
Speaker 1: In five hundred at bats, and he stole twenty bases, you know, twenty two bases. He's not stealing as much anymore, fourteen last year, only four this year, but he's hitting for more power twenty four home runs now.
Speaker 3: Already.
Speaker 1: He looks like a guy who's going to be consistent. Maybe not an MVP caliber hitter, but a legitimate threat, and you can see why.
Speaker 3: The Yankees picked him up.
Speaker 1: Well seriously, Elliott Ramos the other guy that they picked up. The easiest way I can describe what I've seen from Elliott Ramos so far is that he feels like a more mature and more developed version of Jason Dominguez. That he's got a lot of physical tools, but he's a little bit shaky in the outfield. I'm not entirely sure that he's got a lot of baseball since he's not gonna run down every ball or suddenly turn the outfield into a strength. But you know, according to stat Cast, he's in the thirty fourth percentile defensively. But I think he's gonna hit. He's got a good swing, he's got a right field approach. He's got kind of a level swing, even though he strikes out a lot. I think he's maybe a little bit late on pitches from what I've seen. If he can intentionally drive the ball more to right field, I think he's gonna do some damage. He did make the All Star team a couple of years ago. He hit twenty two home runs in twenty twenty four to twenty one last season. This year, he was hitting two sixty with nine home runs when the Yankees picked him up, but he had an il trip, so his numbers could be better.
Speaker 3: His average exit.
Speaker 1: Veloci this year is just under ninety two miles an hour, so he has been a guy who hits the ball hard when he hits it. So those are some real indicators that there's damage in his bat, even if the overall numbers aren't spectacular, and he's definitely an upgrade from somebody like Max Schumann. Schuman was with the Yankees for a while. It doesn't mean he can't contribute in a utility role, but Ramos really gives you a much better chance at getting some offense out of that spot. He also seems to play hard, he runs balls out, he seems like he's got a good attitude. He seems like he's a good clubhouse guy, which is super important. And when he got traded here, I saw a lot of Giants fans that were very, very sad to see him go. But now by my count, he is zero for three in challenging But outside of that, I like the way he has carried himself and using the right side of the field is gonna be successful for him in Yankee Stadium. All right, So big series coming up, Yanks will take on the Braves. He uh, he's a funny comment here.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Collaborative film says Ramos swing reminds him of Cecil Fielder. That's interesting. I don't think he has quite the hitch that Big Daddy had. Big Daddy had almost a Gary Sheffield level hitch in his swing. I don't think Ramos quite has that. But I loved Cecil Fielder. That's a great flashback memory. I actually watched an interview with Cecil Fielder not too long ago that you mention that, but very good interview.
Speaker 3: I recommend it.
Speaker 1: So the Braves first in the National leaguee sixty nine and forty five, the Yankees sixty four and fifty one. Braves have scored more runs. The Yankees have allowed three fewer runs. The Braves have a better run differential. I remember, like a month and a half ago, the Yankees had a run differential of about one thirteen, and it's fallen dramatically. Braves hit for almost a twenty point higher average. They get on base more, they have a higher ops The Yankees have hit more home runs, but a lot of that obviously, you know, you take Aaron Judge out of there, that's the difference. Right, Judge has seventeen homer The Yankees have out homered the Braves by eleven, you know, so I think the Braves probably have more power than the Yankees at this moment. We'll see how Garcia impacts that. We'll see if Rice gets his swing back. Spencer Jones could always run into one. Yankees have a lower team ERA by you know, about a third of a run, and they have a lower whip. We're gonna see three pretty good pitching matchups in this series. Max Freed versus Tyler Mally. Now Freed is starting to get it together. I'll talk about him more in second. Mally doesn't have great numbers this year three to nine, five point one three, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lot against the Yankees. Chris Sale in Game two against Garrett Cole. We're gonna need Garrett Cole to be a stud in that game. Garrett Cole has been pitching better. He is now five hundred five and five with a three point four two ERA and sales twelve and six with a two point oh eight. What a career resurgence he has had. And then Grant Holmes who is seven and four with a three point six seven ERA in Game three against Cam Schlitler, who had a tough night. Let's talk about Max Freed real quick, because his first time out he was spectacular, His next time out not quite as good. Obviously, his third time he was a little bit better.
Speaker 3: And get a sip of what.
Speaker 1: I think we can start to expect Max Freed to be pretty much full strength, either this start or next start. I think he's basically fully back. The velocity is there, the command is there. It's just about getting deeper into the game. And you know, he's dominated lefties to a one point fifty six average. Right he's only hitting two to eight. He's only allowed one home run this season. So Max Freed having a very good year. I'll be interested to see what he gives the Yankees on Friday Night at the stadium.
Speaker 3: He has not been as.
Speaker 1: Good at home four point four to three ERA on the road two point five to six. Garrett cole going in Game two. As I mentioned, he's been throwing the ball a little bit better lately, seventy eight strikeouts in seventy three and two thirds innings since coming off the injury list from Tommy Johns. So obviously the swinging misseduff. There's nine point six strikeouts per nine. He's on pace to strike out one hundred and ten over one hundred in three innings. And we've seen the velocity back, We've seen the command coming back. I think Garrett Cole is hitting his stride at just the right time. Lefties do have nine home runs, but they're only hitting two o three. If he fixes the long ball problem, if he fixes the meatball problems.
Speaker 3: Then I think he'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then Cam Schlitzler.
Speaker 1: You know, I am very interested to see what Cam Schlitler does in this game because he has had a couple of bad starts and turned it on in the following game. He seems to treat that as a real motivation, you know, motivator, motivator, motivational.
Speaker 3: Uh, motivator.
Speaker 1: Easy for me to say, but Camp Stiller in the race for the cy Young, Dylan c seems to be the other main car, main contestant for the cy Young. We'll see if he can build on his case. Right he's hitting just one ninety two against him left, he's hitting just two O four. I do think he's been overworked a little bit. And at home he is two and four with four point three to two on the road eight and two with a one point one zero. That is a stark, stark difference. So we take a look at the division. Here, White Sox beating the Red Sox four to two in the bottom of the fourth. Let's hope that score holes holds. I'm starting to run. My mouth is getting tired. I usually have a break by now, but there's no ad read. I have to do an ad read myself, so my mouth is a little bit tired. I'm sorry, guys. The Angels up four to one on the Orioles and the Cubs beating the Blue Jays three to two. So what to watch coming up? Cam Schlitzler turn it around. Also, is Austin Wells beginning to heat up. He's had a couple of good weeks where he's been basically the Yankees' highest rate to hit it for the last couple of weeks. And Trent Grisham has been awful. We've got a number of calls about Trent Grisham. Matter of fact, let's take a few calls right now. You're Stephen from Maine.
Speaker 2: Yes, I Derek Steve calling from Maine, broken record warning, I am so tired of seeing Grisham fumble around out there. Even the great plays he make, he makes should be easy plays because it takes so long to get to the ball. Ninety percent of the center field is what have had that ball over his head. He has cost the Yanches so many games. You can see the difference a great field of makes by watching the new kid of Lombard. What a difference when having a great shortstop is. And it would be just as big a difference if we had a great center fielders. We should have gotten Jose Siri. That guy's a center fielders. He would have been easy to get.
Speaker 3: Get Grisham out of there.
Speaker 2: Good day.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call, Stephen from Maine. So, Trent Grisham having a tough year. And it's interesting because there's a big dichotomy between his metrics would show him as mostly positive and his actual results to eleven average, twelve homers, three to ten, on base percentage six eighty nine ops. Last year his numbers were good. He had thirty four home runs eight twelve ops, not a great average, but he sort of split the difference between the previous two years, which is kind of what we figured would happen, which in my opinion, was not worth what twenty two million bucks.
Speaker 3: Here's another call about Brisham.
Speaker 2: Trent Grissom can't be in there, not at all. We need Spencer in there, and Cashman's off set that he ain't doing nothing, but he.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna leave him in there because he I told you he's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be good. We need the young young guy out there. That's it healthy.
Speaker 3: Get them balls.
Speaker 2: Nothing's gonna drop behind them.
Speaker 1: Griffom really sucks. Appreciate the call. Tell us how you really feel, all right, Spencer Jones, We'll see how much. Here's more playing time he gets if Grisham continues to struggle. I think the problem with Spencer Jones is always going to be strikeouts. To me, he does everything else well. He plays good defense, He runs well, he gets down the line, he hustles, his power is immense when he makes contact, he hits hard. He runs every ball out I mean defensively, I think he would do a better job than Grisham, which, just as Steven mentioned, was important, but he might just strike out too much. Now, my hope for Spencer Jones over the next year or two is that he can become Joey Gallow. And I'm not talking about Joey Gallo with the Yankees. I'm talking about Joey Gallow when he was good. There was a time where Joey Gallow was a pretty valuable player despite the strikeouts, because he would hit forty home runs.
Speaker 3: But once he got to the Yankees.
Speaker 1: It was like he could only hit home runs in a certain spot on a certain speed. Spencer Jones I think will be a decent hitter because when he hits the ball, he hits it so hard that he's going to get some hits just on exit velocity. Like Paul O'Neil likes to say, exit velocity plays. We'll see, We'll see how much it plays. I'm gonna talk about Austin Wells real quick, but first got to talk a little bit about seat geek.
Speaker 3: Now we've all been there.
Speaker 1: You know where you have a night off and it's a beautiful night, your schedule opens up and you want to go catch a game. When that happens, you don't need to stress. Take all the guests work out of it by going to seat Geek getting some tickets. When you open up the seat Geek app on your phone, just look for the green dots, and a green dot will mean that you're getting an amazing seat at an amazing value. It's not just baseball. They have comedy, theater, music, whatever you want, any kind of sport. They have soccer. It's seamless, it's fast and right now, we are saving you some cash on your next outing. Used code territory ten at checkout to get ten percent off your next ticket purchase on sea Geek. That's ten percent off your next ticket purchase on sea Geek using the code territory ten. Do yourself a favorite, click the link in the profile in the description and download the sea Geek app and that ten percent discount will automatically be applied. And by the way, tell me what ballparks you want to go check out, tell me what concerts you want to go see. I'm interested to know. I want to know about you people. All right, you guys know enough about me. Also, we've got some merch. The people at foul Territory would like me to let you know they have George Lombard T shirts, which you can go to foul Territoryshop dot com and check it out. I'm also selling Summer of George, Summer of George, mugs, hats, hoodies, all that stuff. They're featured on the screen. Just go to NYY Designs dot shop for the Summer of George stuff. Go to foul Territoryshop dot com for the T shirt.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna finish with Austin Wells, who has been heating up a little bit, and he can be a difference maker if he gets hot. I mean it's unlikely at this point, but we have got no production out of the catcher position all year. Give us a little something, give us just a little bit more. Give us two twenty, give us two thirty with half a dozen home runs in the.
Speaker 3: Next six weeks. Just help us out a little bit and it will be huge.
Speaker 1: By the way, he is hitting one oh one against lefties, He's hitting one seventy four at home, and now in his career he's down to two twelve. I think batting average matters. The Yankees don't believe that batting average matters, but it really does. And the Yankees don't believe in hot They don't believe in a lot of things that are just obvious to the rest of us, who I think are far enough away that we can get a good look at what's going on. Sometimes, when you're too close to it and you see all the metrics, I think it's easy to forget that these are human beings and confidence plays a factor. But anyway, ladies and gentlemen, watch out. The Red Sox are coming. They were once fifteen and a half games back there, now a game back there in third place, and they are coming fast. So we're gonna be scoreboard watching a lot over the next six weeks. Tune into the channel, subscribe, like all that stuff. I'll be here after every single game. We're here for a lot of mornings, and I'm not gonna do a Nostra Derek pick tomorrow, so we're gonna go ahead and do one tonight. I'm gonna go with tomorrow night's home run pick. I'm taking I'm taking Luis Garcia Junior. Why not hold around? Number two is a Yankee. I'll see you at a bar.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for watching.
Speaker 1: If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store, Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well and give us five stars if you don't mind.
Speaker 3: If we earned it, we'll see you next time.