Speaker 1: It is Thursday, September twenty eight. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Kaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management's history and now finally somebody with air guys Steaven.
Speaker 2: Oh we love that. Welcome into Jaguars Happy Hour of filling in for JP Shadrick today. He's already jetted off to London without us. Jeff Logman is here with us as always in the Hyundai studios as we get ready for two games in London, and we're going to talk over whatever that is that we saw in week three. Jeff, I haven't seen you since I adjusted that.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did, Yeah, I did then, And I actually chose to watch the film Sunday night.
Speaker 2: Oh you're you just went for it and I'm already down. I'm gonna rewatch this well.
Speaker 3: Two reasons why okay. One is is because of travel in the London Fair today. I want to make sure that everything's kind of behind you in your head a little bit. But also because I wanted to take the pain in one day.
Speaker 2: Yes, just get it out of the way. It was a tough one and I think everybody was kind of just it was a snowball effect, right, because it was one thing went wrong, you know, you miss a kick, and then the special teams is doing whatever they are doing, Agnees fumbling the ball, Calvin's dropping balls. It was everybody, and I think that was different for us, at least in the other two games, maybe we could say the defense was okay, but it was every facet of the game.
Speaker 3: On Sunday it was and I think it really started out exactly how you wouldn't want it to start, okay, because you've got a Texans team coming in that's injured number one, number two, that's a roster that is rebuilding, and they have a rookie quarterback. So you felt really good about where you were at from that standpoint, at least those of us choking from the outside, and the offense for the Jaguars has been a little bit clunky, So what you would like to have is, I don't want to say it fast start, but you want to have some success early. And so the first possession that you have, which you get after the Jaguars hold the Texans to a three and out, you have a great matchup opportunity. You got a motion that brings Evan Ingram across and you get a linebacker on Calvin Ridley and you're going, here.
Speaker 4: We goor was thinking, yeah, and it's the perfect route combination because it's kind of a speed fade, you know, corner route, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: And Trevor throws an absolute dime and it hits Calvin in the hands and he's not able to catch it, and look, it could have happened to anybody. But the hard part is is that when you're struggling on offense, you go into a game, you're looking for something positive, to get the snowball in a positive direction, and it doesn't happen. But then it provides hope for a Texans team because they turn around on the next possession, they catch the Jaguars in a a defensive mistake because you get Tank Dell running down the field for a forty six yard game. It gives them first and goal inside to five. So exactly how you wanted things to go early in the ball game, it doesn't happen. You make mistakes, you create negative energy for yourself, and then the Texans get positive energy on the road in a place that they've had great success, and then from there it snowballed in the wrong direction, and it felt.
Speaker 2: Like they were really getting in their own heads at a certain point because it was just mental mistakes, penalties, things that you know, you don't don't normally see out of a discipline team. Even on special teams, they're just going for the ball because you see the ball on the ground when it's like that, do you just is it kind of catching? Is just everybody freaking out, like is that a mentality on the sideline or what kind of happened when all of those things start to go wrong.
Speaker 3: I think football players are humans, sure, so human nature is sometimes when things haven't been going well, you have that attitude, we're like, oh here we go again, okay, And sometimes that's not the right attitude to have, and you got to fight it. Well, they appeared to fight it and then climb back in the game, but then another mistake would set him back. And so every time you'd have something positive in that game, something negative happened to slow the momentum down, and special teams was guilty, defense was guilty, the offense continues to be guilty. And until you can make better plays on all three phases of the game. I think that you are what you are. But I will say this, I think that the negative performance by the offense, which the offense struggled a little bit with Indianapolis needed defensive help, definitely struggled against the Kansas City team. You felt great about. Okay, we held kan City sevent team. We should have won that game. And now all of a sudden, you have an offense that makes mistakes early in this ballgame, and I think that that affected the defense a little bit and you can't let that happen. But it did.
Speaker 2: And we've been hanging our hat or hanging our hat but saying we were really what the defense would had been able to do so far, and then you know, this isn't necessarily a team built on the defense, had built on that offense, and a lot of people had been giving them credit. On paper, they look like they're very talented. Doug Peterson talked a little bit postgame about that hype, and maybe some of the players listening to what they were hearing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's I think that's real.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 7: I think that's real.
Speaker 6: And and.
Speaker 7: You know, you know, I've been around this game too long to know that you can't you can't live in the past or you're gonna you're gonna fail in the future. And you know, we've just got to focus one day at a time. We got to get better each day and can't worry about next week or the week after, can't worry about the London trip coming up. We can't you know, we just got to focus in on on the week at hand. And and you know that that that part of it starts with me and making sure that the guys are you know, hearing that message, you know, loud and clear for me, and and we'll make sure that they get that message.
Speaker 2: Jeff, is there a little bit of that, you know looking around the room, Hey, we have a bunch of talent here. We should be good and not necessarily you know, just I'm not saying they're not putting in the work, but just assuming things might be easier than they actually are. Calvin Ridley is new to this offense. He's very talented, but he hasn't played football in a while. Andy's new here, so to kind of be going to him as much as they are, are they forcing that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Possibly, you know, last year, just just a kind of overall thought though with the offense and as far as you say, well, we thought we were going to be good. Yeah, you know, the players sometimes have the Tennessee to externalize that. You know, it's the media they're hyping us. Well, you know sometimes as players, again human nature, hear it. You think you're pretty good, and sometimes when you think you're pretty good, you don't put the work in. But I will say that this football team worked hard in training, absolutely and one of the hardest working teams, so they the work is put in, but transitioning from putting the work into executing on game day is different. Now you have to understand that this is hard. Okay. The guys on the other side get paid to and they have talent, whether you think they do or you don't. Because it would have been easy to follow on the trap against the Texans, Well, this team is just you know, it's rebuilding, it's got a rookie quarterback. They can't beat us. We're just you know, we're too good. Well, it's the NFL.
Speaker 2: It's certainly what we were saying.
Speaker 3: And stay in every given Sunday. But as far as the offense and trying to find a rhythm on offense last year, I think one of the trademarks of this Doug Peterson offense was it was the system. Okay, system, system system. Trevor would find the open guy. And we've seen in the past with Doug Peterson, even when he was in Philadelphia, it wasn't about star individuals. It was about the offense and making sure the quarterback delivered the ball to open guys. And I think anytime you have a Calvin Ridley or a Justin Jefferson, or you know, one of the great receivers in the league that we see occasionally on highlights and sometimes in person, you always feel the need to feed that player because they're great for a reason, and so you should feed that player. But you have to have a balance for that, and it also has to be earned. You know, Calvin Ridley hasn't played football in a long time prior to the first game in Indianapolis, and so I think even he has to earn that respect and to earn that ball coming his way of a high percentage of times compared to other people. And was there maybe a little bit of overestimating that maybe, But you know the great thing is is that, look, this is a long season. Getting ready to start game number four here, this week, and you've got plenty of time the rights you ship, because it's not about where you're at week two or week three. It's about trying to find that rhythm and that role that you can get to into the postseason. So there's time, but it's not like there's a luxury of time. I mean, sooner or later you've got to start turning the corner and start showing them some signs. But I definitely think that there needs to be I will tell you this guy in that game against Houston, I said in our broadcast, at what point do you think about taking Calvin Ridley out?
Speaker 2: I thought that that might be a possibility because at a certain point we talked about I know Doug had talked about the whole team pressing, but Calvin feels like he's pressing. He's putting as much pressure on himself and hyping him, psyching himself out. It seems like at times, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying that like like he gets benched.
Speaker 2: Oh no, certainly not. It's just even great player, you're gonna get him open by going to other people and then going back to him rather than throwing him every single time in double coverage. Yes, he is capable of making those catches and making those plays. He's not right now, but maybe don't force it. If he's double covered, somebody else should be open.
Speaker 3: Right well, and sometimes you got to calm this.
Speaker 2: World down absolutely.
Speaker 3: And and and show the players also on the team. Hey, look, you know the reality is it's a bottom line business. Okay. Productivity is one of the three key components of being a good player in this league. And he was not productive in that game, you know, with the false starts, the couple drops and the one that was early was was obviously big, but he wasn't the only one that made mistakes. But of course, you know, at some point you got to start thinking, okay, what's the best thing for our team? And I thought in that game, maybe they were going to just take them out just to let them take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, I think that might have been a little more helpful. Kinnanni Stevens filling in for JP Shadrick. Here are Jeff Logaman Jags fans. If you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipchair dot com to browse all customizable options. Zipchair is furniture for fans now in terms of things with Trevor, He's been throwing some great balls, but we saw a little frustration at the end of the game throwing that pick. He talked postgame on Sunday about wanting to be a little more vocal with his teammates.
Speaker 8: We got great players that have proven that they can play and play well in this league, and for some reason right now, it's just not all clicking and we gotta we gotta figure that out. And I think leading and just and still in confidence in those guys, but also, like I said, that sense of urgency of it's not all right, all right, we're getting to the point where it's not okay, Like it's I get it and I'm gonna miss some throws and you guys hold me accountable. I'm not gonna There's gonna be plays that I want back. There's you know, three or four today that I went back where I didn't do my job, and I expect the coaches to hold me accountable, and they will. And I'm gonna hold the white outs of tight ends, the running backs to o line accountable as well for stuff that you know, they're not doing the best in their job. So we all no one can get their feelings hurt, and we don't have guys that do. But we all have to have that accountability, and I think that's the biggest thing, and we all have to lead in that way of taking accountability for what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Jeff Doug had the locker room closed for for a good chunk of time after the game against the Texans that I don't know, said, I can imagine, but is this the point where some of the players, some of the guys need to be like, all right, guys, let's let's cut it out. We got to figure this out and do what we need to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes you need a moment, you know, when you have disappointment and you didn't meet your own expectations, and so sometimes a little bit of quiet time will help. By the way, how about the shirt Trevor's got on there.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. I loved that out there there matching shorts as well. I mean, obviously it's not as good when you don't win. But on the way to the game, I was like, Oh, we're gonna do great today.
Speaker 3: Mean, Styalin was looking it was good, looking good, But uh, sometimes you need time after a game like that to reflect a little bit and let it, let it soak in sure, disappointment. Allowing it to marinate a little bit after a game is good and and sometimes it's also good from a from a media availability standpoint that look, let these guys take a deep breath before they get in front of the camera, maybe say something that they regret, and uh, you know, so that's just part of the deal. But you know the great thing about this situation is is that you've got Doug Peterson at the home who I have full confidence in. And this is not his first rodeo, certainly not talking about a first year head coach. Okay, he has been around the league for a long time and he's experienced in moments like this. He dealt with it last year, and so I believe that he will turn this team around. How good will they be, I don't know, but I believe that they will be again contending for the division title and then be contenders at the end of the season. But they've got work to do, yes they do, and serious work to do.
Speaker 2: And they run out of that. It's new. It's the beginning of the season. Excuse for now in week four, and you gotta figure it out. At this point. All right, Jaguars Happy I were brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water it's worth saving. Coming up a little bit later on after the break, we're gonna go more into this offense what they need to figure out going into Week four against the Falcons. That's coming up next on Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 7: I grabbed him actually, you know, coming off the field, and I just just reiterated to him that, you know, take a deep breath, stay locked in, stay engaged. I told him he was a big part of part of our system and the offense and he's going to have a lot of success, and just wanted to reiterate that confidence in him. Excuse me, and really and Trevor does a great job of that too, of getting with those guys, and you know, Calvin, Calvin wants to do.
Speaker 6: So well, so good, so much.
Speaker 7: He wants to prove, you know, and he doesn't have to he's a good player and he doesn't have to do I'll just be Calvin. And so those are the things that we're trying to just get him to do. Just relax, focus on his job and the and the plays that you know, have his number attached to him.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water water It is worth saving. Nannie Stevens filling in for JP. Shadrick Jeff Logman still here with us as we get Happy Hour underway. And that was head coach Doug Peterson talking a little bit. We had touched on Calvin Ridley pressing a little bit, you know, some of those drops getting in his own head, and we talked a little bit about the offense maybe you know, involving him but not always going to him as the number one target, because he's probably going to be best when he can just kind of run out of nowhere and get himself open, and if you focus elsewhere, that should open him up.
Speaker 3: He's a talented player, and look, you got to remember that he had a lot of time away from football, yes, and so getting back into it. Look, it's not without missteps, and so I think that he'll be fine, but it will take a little bit of time to get back up to speed. And I think part of this kind of evolution with him in this offense also is finding a comfort zone for everybody. And when you have a new player that has the talent of his stature, I think press Taylor and Doug Peterson and Trevor, they all got to find a comfort level on when he needs to get the ball and when you need to let the ball go elsewhere. That's all part of the process. And you know, the one thing I think I have great respect for is Trevor's ability to lead and Trevor smart. He figures things out. The good thing and all this, I think Trevor has been pretty good.
Speaker 2: I believe so as well. Specifically when things aren't going great. Other than maybe that one interception, he hasn't been making errors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the interception, you're pressing a little bit, and linebacker tracked him pretty good bit as far as staring his But you know, when you're at that point of the ball game, you're trying to force something to happen, make something to happen, So, yeah, you're pressing a little bit. The game before against Kansas City, Trevor was not at his best. But I mean, Trevor overall this year has been pretty good. Got to get the offensive line to play better as well. Running game part of this, Yeah, Running Game showed some good signs though in this past game.
Speaker 2: If there is a bright spot, I will have to say the Running Game so far has been looking good. Traves Etn just looks he's adding to his repertoire a little bit, right. Just I don't know if he feels he can expand his game a little bit differently, or if he's just you know, purely healthy now or whatever it is, but he looks a little bit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He's the one thing about Travis when he was a first year player, which was last year, even though it wasn't his rookie year yeah after Yeah, was he was trying to hit the hole so fast and a lot of times he didn't have the patience that allowed the vision and everything else to take over. Now he's having And they use this term before speed through the hole, not to the hole, and you're really seeing that, and they were preaching that with him all pre season, and you can see that it's paying off because when he goes through a hole, it's happening. And what who benefits from that? First of all, he does, but second of all, the blocking system does because blocks don't have to be held as long when he's rolling through that hole at a high rate of speed, and it was encouraging, even though it's hard to see it. Sometimes when when the team doesn't play well, the first thing you want to do is everything's bad. We're terrible, we have clunky offense. We're not going to be better. White a minute. The offensive line did better in the run blocking game. The run game was so much better, and that I think took a lot of pressure off of Trevor. And also Etn was involved in the passing game, so I think there was if there was a positive end that game, and you want to you need something to seek your teeth into. The Jaguars offense got better in that aspect, and I thought they got a little bit better in pass protection as well. Not against as a formidable front okay in Houston, Okay, And I understand that. Then I don't want to take away all the excitement there, but that's what you need to have, is to take steps.
Speaker 2: When we look at this offensive line, We've been talking about this at nauseum. I feel like at this point, but is it getting better? What will is Cam coming back going to help? Because you can shift some things around. Where do you look at how it is right now, because it's not where it needs to be for this offense to be as successful as we want them to be.
Speaker 3: It's a great question what happens when Cam comes back? And and also the question is what do you do right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the meantime, Walker Little, I.
Speaker 3: Think is playing very well left tackle. And what's amazing. And I think that's like his fifth or second, fifth or sixth start of the regular season tackle that's it. I know, we forget that, you know, and a lot of people don't realize that. I mean playing left tackles hard. I mean there's a lot of studs out there that left tackles got a block. And he's still a very young player as far as time spent on task, and so that's been impressive and he's probably been the best offensive lineman so far. The inside guy struggled against Kansas City, they struggled against Indianapolis. Got to remember now, though, Okay, there was ninety five and ninety and ninety nine. Okay, these three guys, and two of them in Indianapolis, one of them with Kansas City, Chris Jones, the Forrest Buckner and then Grover Stewart. I mean, three excellent players. There, and they struggled up front, as most teams do a little bit, but they've got to settle down. And I think Bartch has got to play better than he did this past game. He struggled a little bit and needs sheriff to get a little stronger. Anton needs to play better, but he's a rookie. He will. And the question is is that if you're not satisfied with where they're at, do you consider doing something else?
Speaker 5: And do they That's real?
Speaker 3: I think that's real. And as coaches, I think you have to look at everything. And I'm not saying that you should or you shouldn't do it. But you got a guy in Shatley who started I think twelve games last year, who did a really good job. And oh, by the way, you were thinking about replace them with Walker little throughout the season, and you know what, you couldn't because he played that well. Well, he's there and he's still on your roster. So do you consider playing Shatley? And when I say consider playing him, do you consider playing him at left guard or center center? Yeah, because he can play both. I think that'll be an trusting you. See, I think you're most likely the coaching staff will have little patients. But as uh as the wins don't stack up, patients starts to wane.
Speaker 2: Get to try something new. Absolutely. Pr Productions, the official event production company of the Jaguars, has everything that you need to bring your next idea to life. Is it pri I Productions dot com? Jeff, we were talking out fair about this. I wanted to bring it up. Now. Special teams, which I had been heralding for weeks now, they fell apart on Sunday. What was going on with that? Yeah, it was a little bit of everybody.
Speaker 3: Wasn't wasn't their best outing, It wasn't. The reality is is that special team so far this year has been a positive.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and probably swung that game for them, you know, Agnew's return against the Colts probably otherwise they're zero to three. Maybe if made them and you know, and they didn't capitalize on it. But getting the kick return in the red zone against the Chiefs that should have been a touchdown that was not. But yeah, I mean, and it was a little bit of So you bring in McManus because you want a veteran kicker that you can trust. He misses his first kick and then another one's blocked which obviously isn't his fault, but it was just when it rains at pours with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a tough day. And again it's not all Brandon McManus's fault, and he had a tough day for multiple reasons. One because on the blockfield goal he got involved in the scrum and the scramble for the ball, and then on the kick return for a touchdown, he's trying to he's trying to run to chase down the full back slash tight end that's making the return.
Speaker 2: It's never good when the kickers trying to make the tackle at the end.
Speaker 3: You don't want kickers having to play football, Okay, kickers, you want kicking and that's it. But you know a couple you know missfires by Jaguar special teams. The let start with the blockfield goal. All blockfield goals defense or opponents typically will attack one guy, okay, and you send three at one guy and say you have the guy in the middle and then one guy on each side. The guy in the middle literally goes after one guy right down the middle and tries to punch him in the nose. And then you send a guy on his inside, and then you send a guy on his outside, okay, and the guy down the middle is trying to, you know, punch him in the nose so that he can't block those two guys on either side, and the Walker Little was the target. So they went after Walker Little with the guy down the middle of the guy to the inside happened to be Anderson Junior, the third overall pick of the draft for the Texans, and Anton Harrison, who is the tackle right beside Walker Little, kind of lunges for just a little bit, just a little bit. Well, then when Walker Little gets punched in the nose, and I use that he gets hit, okay, his right leg kind of loses its placement and it swings open just a little bit, just enough space. So now you have Anton Harrison just a little bit forward Walker a little with a little opening of the gate and then there goes will Anderson Junior right through and gets two hands to block the kick. And that's unfortunate. It gave the Texans great field position and it took points off of the board for you, you know, the kickoff return for a touchdown, you had a major faux Paul. You had an excellent mortar kick, which is a high hangar. That put the Texans exactly where you wanted them where they were having confusion and who's going to fill the ball the returner or up back. I mean, that's perfect, right, And the ball's floundering around on the ground a little bit. Well, the left side of the Jaguars coverage kickoff team starts to collapse, and when they start to collapse, they lose a little bit of leverage. Okay, and so they all take shots. But you got to remember they're trying to figure out who's going to pick the ball up, right, So that means that the guys that are coming down the field out of control.
Speaker 2: Flying by because that the fullback's bracing to get hit and the three guys run right by him.
Speaker 3: And the three guys were I think weren't sure when we say three guys, Okay, it was Daniel Thomas Harris, think Harris who was elevated off of the practice squad, and then the linebacker Caleb Johnson. So those three guys, so they all take a shot, and I'm sure they're trying to figure out who's going to pick up the ball. And so now they're coming in out of control trying to figure out who's picking up the ball. They all miss. Now you got a safety in Trey Herndon, who now is kind of the last layer of defense. He's the safety okay on that second layer. And he doesn't do a great job. Okay, his angle's bad and the full back out runs him to the boundary and then it's a foot race and this full back and give him credit. Now, Andrew Beck did a good job, okay, and actually showed some pretty good speed and everybody's kind of making fun of him about him being a fullback. I gotta give him credit. He was running pretty fast.
Speaker 2: He did not right for himself. I mean, it wasn't complete embarrassing. It wasn't like alignment picked it up.
Speaker 3: And I thought he was better than all right, I thought he was really good. Give him credit now. So but that was unfortunate because the Jaguars were starting to get back into that ball game, and then that play happens and and once again there goes the wind out of your sales or the life getting sucked out.
Speaker 6: Of you again.
Speaker 2: Just an absolute momentum killer when you're on special teams like that. Is that another human nature thing where the ball's out and everybody kind of just runs towards it, or did people in a discipline thing or am I read well.
Speaker 3: No, you bring up a great point about a discipline.
Speaker 2: Thing, because you got to stay your spot right.
Speaker 3: You have ten coverage guys on kickoff, let's ignore the kicker.
Speaker 2: Kickers kick right, yes, hopefully not making tackles. Yes.
Speaker 3: So then you have ten guys that are running down the field. You have typically two safety valves. So now you have eight okay, that are running down the field, four on the left side, four on the right side, two safeties and a kicker that you don't want to have be involved. So the guys that are on the left side, the four they need to make sure that the ball is a is are running down the field. The ball stays on their right because if they miss, there's four other guys on the right side that are going to help them. Okay, just like the right side guys when they go down the field, they want to keep the ball on their left because they know the left side guys are going to be there. Well when they come down the field. The three guys that kind of collapse on the left side, Okay, Harris and Daniel Thomas and Caleb Johnson they all took a shot and then once they missed, Okay, now that whole left side is completely collapsing in the middle of the coverage team had actually already started to drift to the right where a return was actually set up to be returned. That was the planned return side of the Texan Wodgels the other side of the field. So so yeah, partly self inflicted bad angles and then just flat out missus.
Speaker 2: And just tough timing in the game too, because then it just very tough out of the sale at that point. And then also I think that tank Dell pass that C. J. Stroud had was another one where I think had they gotten it within ten again after the fact, and then it was well the one late, Yeah, that late one. That was another that was probably your dagger where you're just like ends over and.
Speaker 3: That one hurt in a big way because Okay, you're you're essentially it's a two man route. Okay, Texans only have two wide receivers out on this particular play, I believe, and you're you have confusion. There's a bunch formation, which a bunch formation for people that don't know, you basically get three Texans wide receivers that are standing close together and the Jaguars are playing man covered, so you need to identify who you got. So Kayath and you are covering the two microphones in front of us, I'm gonna look at you and say.
Speaker 6: I got that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got that one?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Okay. There wasn't any of that communication. They just went over there on the Jaguars defensive side of the field. So you ended up having two guys, which was Trey Herndon and Darius Williams covering this Tank Dell guy or excuse me, not covering Tank Dell. They both went to it. Yeah, they went to a guy that was in the flat and then when Tank Dell turned it up, he was all alone. And you know, again, communication that there is not a physical air.
Speaker 5: That's a mental air just lapses if not in the rental lace.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's tough to combat a mental error, that's for sure. Happy Hours brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's water is worth saving. Coming up, we're gonna talk a little bit about the defense. We've been talking about everybody else, so exactly what's going on with the d and what they need to change going forward. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. We'll be right back.
Speaker 7: We have to do better.
Speaker 6: We have to do better.
Speaker 7: Starts up front, starts with the offensive line on offense, starts with the defensive line on defense.
Speaker 6: It starts right there. Again, I'm gonna say this again. We need to coach better.
Speaker 7: We need to play better.
Speaker 6: We need to execute better.
Speaker 7: Whether we are reading our press clippings, we need to get out of our own way right now. We need to evaluate ourselves, beginning with me, and we got to figure out how to win a game.
Speaker 2: Back here on Jaguar's Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's Riverwater Management District. Florida's water is worth saving. Doug Peterson seemed like he was lost for words in that moment after the game, a man who has never lost for words. Brian Sexton joins us now on the Happy Hour, thinking he's not my problem stopping this, and Doug's usually not lost for words either. Brian and I think he was just as dumbfounded as we were to a certain degree about all of the mistakes in that game against the Texans and just how bad it got so quickly.
Speaker 5: I just stopped writing them down.
Speaker 9: I mean I filled up a whole piece of paper and at one point I said, I don't know that I've ever seen anything like this. I think I stopped when the two hundred and fifty five pound full back. By the way, do you know this, he is the heaviest person in NFL history to return a kick for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Jeff was just saying he thought he's pretty fast, so impressive now that he's the biggest guy.
Speaker 3: But there was a call years ago that Brian called out of defensive lineman. Look at that fat guy run.
Speaker 5: That was Keith Traylor in Chicageah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it wasn't that, No, well it kind of was, but it was a fumble recovery, not a kickoff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I remember it was a But when you talk about you.
Speaker 9: Mentioned something about the baby elephant walk. I was trying to be funny. It didn't work, but thanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was funny and Wayne laughed too. But I got a lot of help for that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh goodness. We talked a little bit about this on jags Am that it was all facets of the game that messed up against the Texans. It wasn't just you know, the offense again, special teams were touched on that, and then the defense, for the first time this season, really did not This is a new show.
Speaker 9: I haven't done the show. So can I just throw my wild theory out and you will? I think maybe I've said it to both of you. Doug came into his press conference before the Chiefs game on Wednesday, and Doug is an affable guy. He's got a quick wit to him.
Speaker 5: He seems to enjoy a little bit of banter.
Speaker 9: That Wednesday, Jeff he came in and he gripped both sides of the podium and he didn't really look up, and he talked kind of like this, and I said, somebody, something that's wrong, and ah Na, you're reading too much into it. I went, just something doesn't feel right. And then they didn't play all that well on offense, which I mean, I think if we thought they were gonna play well against Kana City with thought of them in defense, right, but the defense plays great in the offense, where are they, I mean, nowhere to be found?
Speaker 5: Three field goals? And then last week, I mean, just the cascading effective mistake, mistake, mistake, mistake, mistake.
Speaker 9: It just kept going there's something off about this team and I can't put my finger on it. And maybe it's confidence, and you know, maybe they just are are like a like a bunch of teenagers who don't know how to get out of their own way, which is.
Speaker 5: A phrase that Doug has used. I don't know, but it's tough for me to figure it out.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes we overcomplicate it. It's I think it's pretty simple and that the player, the players that are out there, when given the opportunity, just need to make the plays that are there number one, number two, don't make the mistakes. I mean six penalties in this ball game, which you had six the least penalized team in the league going into that game, and then you equal that total in one game. And then you got to have some energy, and that energy is created from with them. And I don't think it's any more complicated than that.
Speaker 5: But why can't they I mean, that's my question.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 9: I mean, we all were excited for this team to start the season because we thought, based on last year and what we saw in August, that we would see something. If we're excited about it, what did they know that we don't? Why are they unable to generate that.
Speaker 3: Well. Sometimes last year it starts with just one play, okay, and then okay, now let's make another positive play. You know, I go back to guy in ninety six game. Brian was there for that and that we were struggling as a football team and it was not good, and we kind of overcomplicated the situation. Then we just said, all right, look, let's let's block everything out and let's focus on this game. Let's focus on one play at a time. We just started stacking plays. And all of a sudden, we started stacking plays and start of ignoring the big picture and started to live in the moment and tried to excel in the moment. And then all of a sudden, the big picture stuff just started to come together because we were putting play after play together and then we started to win.
Speaker 9: Him he won't tell you this because he's far too modest, but he was the guy that made the play. Late in the ballgame at the Old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore against Vinnie Testaverdi and the Ravens, he came up with a fumble fumble recovery that gave the Jaguars a.
Speaker 5: Chance to tie it.
Speaker 9: And score the two point conversion and send the game into overtime, and it started a seven game winning streak all the way to the AFC Championship game. So you know exactly what you speak of. They were four and seven that year, Kai and the coach was under fire. The word in the street really was it. They didn't the players didn't like Tom Coughlin, didn't like playing for him. They cut Andre Rising. You remember at the circus. I mean it felt like the whole thing was melting down and they were going to fire Tom and they were going to move on. And then, as Jeff said, made a play, made another one the next week in the rain. They come home from Baltimore and Cincinnati and can't do any They score field goals, but the defense plays well. I mean, it was just that's what it takes. So who on this team Jeff is capable of making that play?
Speaker 3: Quarterback?
Speaker 5: Okay, it has to be him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well no, it doesn't have to be him, But at the quarterback and to me, the quarterback, excuse me, Travis Etn Christian Kirk Gridley. I mean, there's a lot of guys that are capable, but the man that's delivering it yeah, has got to be the guy, and I believe he can be the guy.
Speaker 9: So last week, at one point, kay, maybe it was after the first touchdown, he came to the sidelines and Doug met him. Do you remember and Doug said something and he kind of gestured Trevor did, and Doug said, no, no, everyone relaxed, Just make everyone relax. And it seemed like for the first time he was relaxed. Have you noticed that about him? The offense wasn't great against the Colts, and then it didn't show up against Kansas City. Do you think Trevor, who has been in the spotlight since he was in middle school, has struggled this year with just calming himself down.
Speaker 3: No, I think you know, this past game he impressed me. Okay, and so, but I think every year is different, and there's always an adjustment when you have a change of components, and even when you return the same components, you know, because everybody's at a little different level, whether it's one. I mean, even though let's start to say, for example, that there was no Calvin Ridley, you still have to develop chemistry for this year with the guys that are out there, Christian Kirk and Jay Jones and Evan Ingram. You still have to establish that. So every year is different, and every year you have to establish things just from the beginning like they never happened before. And I think Trevor's just in that process, that's all.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, then look no further than Ford F one fifty, loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate, workplay, everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local Ford dealer, proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, kay Nani Stevens filling in for JP Shadwick, Bryan Sexton has joined us, and Jeff Logerman is here. As always we've been ragging on everybody. We should probably spread the wealth a little bit and talk about the defense because they had been playing better than we thought. But also, where's this past rush we've been talking about?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: They said they were going to keep with their guys and look at me like.
Speaker 9: I have the answer, tell us, I don't know where it is. And Jeff, that to me may have been the most maddening part of that game. I mean, that was an offensive line playing without Laramie Tunsel, who who didn't even travel. Uh at Tyas Howard, you know the right tackles on injured reserve. Uh, they're playing with the backup left guard. They're playing with the backup center. And and the Jaguars got no pressure at all. Were they too stubborn about it? We're going to get there with four?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 5: No, the second half when they started.
Speaker 3: Saying, I don't think so, because when they ended up trying to bring pressure, they got burned. It kind of got backfired in their face a little bit. But I will say the right tackle that played for the Texas George fan, good football player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And there was some backups and one of the guy that was a backup left guard.
Speaker 5: Was a former first last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I'm with you. Left tackle was a guy that normally plays left guard. The center's a six round pick rookie. Okay, let's beat him up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Also, Stroud's been sacked eleven times in the first two games. Hits there. He stays in the pocket. He's not running away from the hits.
Speaker 3: Let me let me say this though, I think we're in for a long haul with CJ.
Speaker 5: Struts.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, you know what I mean. But before we start looking at ourselves and saying, you know, what did we do wrong, let's give credit where credit is due.
Speaker 2: He fully took advantage of those opportunities.
Speaker 3: I love his college film. I said this for all the draft stuff that we did that I said he would be my quarterback of I was picking picking first overall, just because he has so much arm talent and you have to defend the entire field. Well, now you add a football IQ that he clearly has and a calmness in the pocket. That's a dangerous combination. And so give him credit. He played outstanding and his throws are just effortless.
Speaker 5: I mean he said that last weekend.
Speaker 3: You're right, I watched that effortless.
Speaker 2: He says all the right things too. He's going to be a perfect franchise quarterback. I watched some of his availabilities. He's just talking, you know, talking about making his teammates better.
Speaker 3: You watched this press conference last week, yes.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I would want this to be my quarterback. Nothing against Trevor. I'm just saying if that was my team, I'd be happy with the choice they made. Also, he was talking, They asked someone innocently asked him about the Jaguars defense, and he listed off every single starter on the defense by name and number, and.
Speaker 3: He gave him numbers I know, and he told me you want names.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And by the way, that was on a Wednesday. Okay, this was not Thursday or and this was not Friday, which could be Wednesday.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're getting ricky quarterbacks, some of the hardest thing is learning how to study film. And he's already scouted the team.
Speaker 3: I've heard he's a football junkie and he definitely has football IQ. I know there was a lot of criticism about around him when he was being drafted and all that, and I don't know who came up with that, but that was inaccurate.
Speaker 9: You're right, long Haul. I have the same feeling about him that I had. The Jaguars beat Deshaun Watson when they first saw him. Remember he played the second half of the twenty seventeen opener because they had ten sacks in that game and knocked the other guy out, the other guy whose name I can't remember. And I had the answer, great question. He was a kid from pitt Yes, Dan something or other, and he was just to fill in until the rookie was ready, and the rookie was ready in the second half, and DeShawn then we didn't beat him again, right, I mean, we didn't touch him again until he left and was suspended.
Speaker 3: So but I will say that I'd never had that feeling with Deshaun Watson, like watching his college film and then watching him in the pro game, went oh, we got a long decade here of this guy. When I watched c J. Stroud, I go, jeez, which is gonna be some incredible battles Trevor Lawrence versus c J. Strauss. Sure, because right now, I mean this obviously this is a quarterback league. It appears that the Jaguars have a quarterback, Texans now have a quarterback, and the other teams don't.
Speaker 9: I like how you say appears, I mean because you still are waiting. You are still waiting for more evidence.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 9: You know, long playing career, long broadcasting career. You want to see more. What do you want to see more.
Speaker 3: Of out of this team or out of c J. Stroud?
Speaker 5: No, of this quarterback of Trevor. You want to see him carry this out.
Speaker 3: First of all, a quarterback of the great quarterbacks elevate everybody around them, everybody.
Speaker 5: Which I think he did at the end of last year.
Speaker 3: Which they do it in two ways. They do it by their performance, right, and they also do it by their leadership. Okay, Okay, in the huddle, in the locker room, set, in the temple, all season wise, those are what the great ones do, and it appears that Trevor has done some of those things. Okay. But here comes the challenge. And when you're a young player, it's hard to be a leader because number one, you got to have performance, okay, and number two, you got to have respect you have performance. And so Trevor is still in the infancy stages of being a leader. But that's got to grow, and it will grow, and it's starting to grow. You can see that he's more vocal. But there's also got to be some leadership from elsewhere, okay, and he needs help okay. And I'm not talking coaching wise, because the greatest leadership comes from within, okay, because if we're all teammates, okay, and Kyle, you look at me and say, why aren't you doing this? And we need I need you to do X. Okay. I hear that a lot better than I do. From a coach. Sure, Okay, So the greatest leadership is always from within, and I see that with Trevor, and I think that's part of what's missing a little bit not having Cam Robinson. Cam, even though look, he's not a top ten tackle in the league.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a top performer, but he's a leader.
Speaker 3: You know, And I think that also not having some of that hurts a little bit. But I think Trevor's going to be fine, and he's still young and we're still in the infancy stages of his all right.
Speaker 2: Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water it's worth saving. Brian's gonna stick with us. We'll be right back after the break, do the injury report and get some final thoughts before the Doug Peterson show.
Speaker 10: By hanging on too much of last year like that's over, it's a long football season. We have a lot of work to do, that's all we know. Right now, we're gonna we're gonna put our head down.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to work back here on. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water is worth savings. Kanyannie Stephen's in here for JP, Shadick, Jeff Logman as always, Brian Sexton joining us as well. Quickly gonna do the injury report now presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Now we're headed to London, but two of the big names. There's some people working through some stuff, but the two names I'm looking at here are gonna be Zajoe who's did not play last week because of his knee injury, and then Devin Lloyd, who hurt his thumb or his hand during the game against the Texans. He missed a good chunk of that game. We saw a lot of Chad Muma. He'll probably be a game time decision by the time we get to Sunday, because they don't know exactly where that's at yet. And Zay as well. Is Ay's, you know, at some point probably going to play in London, but we don't know if that will be against the Falcon.
Speaker 9: I don't know that it's very likely this week. Just the sense I'm getting talking to people, but more likely to be he'd be ready to go for Buffalo.
Speaker 2: How much did they miss him on offense when he wasn't in there?
Speaker 5: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know everything was going wrong, so I don't know if he was going to save the day, but he don't have to imagine.
Speaker 9: That guy at the sticks that makes that clutch catch that gets things started.
Speaker 5: I think they miss him.
Speaker 9: And in fact, let me throw this theory at you, I think Calvin Ridley might be the problem right now. I think that last year, and I know it was last year, but you had that rhythm with Kirk Ingram and Jones and it was working, and it seems to me like they are forcing it to Calvin, and maybe they would do better to include Calvin in the med and not make it Calvin's offense.
Speaker 3: I think there's something to be said for that get back to what worked. But I will say this too, that when you have what you believe as a great player, you need to feed a great player. And sometimes you're going to be a little bit more willing to do that, okay, because you know he's special.
Speaker 9: But if you're trying to get back to some efficiency, right I mean the third down numbers are abysmal.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you're.
Speaker 9: Trying to just at one point, I look down and they were seven of twenty nine for the season in the third quarter of this game and I went seven for twenty nine. Holy hell. That explains a lot. And if you just want to get back to an efficiency where you stay on the field, you know what, if you're just you go back to what really worked well and then oh they're paying attention to this over the top to Calvin, I'm over simplifying.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to go back to the Day's Jones thing here just for a minute. Because when you look at that wide receiver room and we always say this is a talented group, the.
Speaker 5: Leader is a totally right, totally.
Speaker 3: Who's the best, best double move wide receiver they have? Okay, so do you need them?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, look you want like well, I was just saying, you know you want leaders, right, I mean there's a leader that you didn't have, you know, for this past game on the field, so you want to have him back. Now what it looks like when he comes back, or what it looks like this week? Okay, with Calvin Ridley, there's got to be a comfort level with the quarterback. And when I say that, there's got to be a comfort level that he feels confident and that he's going to make the right decisions and make him quick. And it doesn't necessarily have to be forcing it to one particular individual, right it can be feeding the ball around. But then in certain situations, in certain situations, calculated risk wise, you're going to force it to a guy because you believe in them. But right now, I think, if I'm Trevor, I'm just thinking out loud here, if I'm Trevor, do I trust Calvin Ridley yet to where I'm going to force the ball?
Speaker 2: Sure seems like he does.
Speaker 3: I mean he has, but are you going to trust him this week?
Speaker 2: I don't know. At certain point doesn't wear out because I thought it was going to take a while for them to get on the same page, because I didn't believe that Trevor was going to trust him rut of the gate. But from what I've seen, he goes to him in double coverage whenever he's you know, and obviously we've seen Calvin do crazy things. He's seen the same thing, but he seems to be going to him more than he's going to, you know, maybe his safety blanket.
Speaker 5: That's why, Yeah, that's why I asked the question.
Speaker 9: I just you know, last year, it didn't matter, was it Ingram, was it Zay, was it Kirk. He seemed comfortable throwing to all of them. And this year he just my perspective, he just doesn't seem as comfortable as he was. I'd like to see them lean back in the direction of Kirk, Zay when he's there and Ingram, and then take your shot to Calvin until he's.
Speaker 3: Comfortable with I think there's something to be said for that. But but if I'm Trevor again, I'm gonna say this, If I'm Trevor, I lost a little confidence in Calvin Ary. Yeah, the ball was I'm not necessarily going to be willing to force a ball right as I was before.
Speaker 2: And I don't think before he had lost confidence in any of the other guys. I think it was just like Calvin was the shiny new toy, and I think that's kind of why he was going there. But I think you might be right. I think they might shift away, and for what it's worth, I don't want to speak for Calvin, but he seems to me a little bit to be you know, when he's hot, he's hot, and right now he's not. So let's wait until he gets himself back into this and then start feeding.
Speaker 3: He earns his way back a little. I mean, there's two guys that if I'm Trevor right now, I'm a little hesitant to throw the ball to maybe three.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Calvin, Yeah, probably gonna not be as excited to throw the ball his way. Tang Bigsby.
Speaker 5: Oh, I wouldn't throw to him again.
Speaker 3: Okay, he bounced off his hands.
Speaker 2: He's not for throwing. Hey, just send him down the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And Jamal, Yeah, Jamal. A'm not gonna throw to Jamal. He's fumbled a couple of times.
Speaker 9: Three fumbles in his last four games, which, again I point and go, that just doesn't seem like, you know, he was making plays last year.
Speaker 5: That's part of the whole off.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I can't put my finger on him. What is that? I don't know.
Speaker 9: But I look at at Trevor right now and think, not Trevor. I look at Calvin right now and I think maybe he's a little over anxious. He talked about wanting his name back, so he has something to prove. He's on a one year deal essentially, and he wants to get paid like receivers get paid. I wonder if there's a little anxiety there, like I have got to be the star right now, and maybe they don't need to just calm him down a little bit. You know, we all know some people in Atlanta who cover the Falcons, and they said he tends to get that way, he tends to get anxious, and they might need to just calm him down again. I mean, I'm not talking about third down percentage of talking about someone's feelings. It's hard to say that unless he sits here and says, yeah, I'm anxious about it.
Speaker 5: But you get what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, right not, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: He's been through a lot. It's completely understandable.
Speaker 5: And he said totally.
Speaker 2: He's in a new setting as well. We were just expecting, oh, he'll just be this all star right out of the gate.
Speaker 5: Do you know where he got me?
Speaker 9: In our first preseason television production meeting before the Dallas game, he was the first one in and I'm sitting there with Bucky and he looks at me, he goes, you know, how good I am don't you, And I said, well, I think he goes, oh no, no, no, I'm really good, and I went, I like this guy, right, I want to see that Calvin right clearly at this moment he isn't feeling that. Hopefully he does at some point in near future, because then I think you have that explosive combination that we all.
Speaker 5: Always looks to see this year.
Speaker 2: All right, Brian, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it for today. Jeff Logovan Conati Stephens here. When we return the Jaguars Network coverage of the Doug Peterson Show coming up, We're going to talk to Doug before we jet off to London. Thank you for listening in its Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 12: Welcome to the Doug Peterson Show, brought you by Fresh from Florida.
Speaker 6: JT.
Speaker 12: Schaffrick conformer Jaguar Jeff Logoman discuss the latest Jaguars news with the head coach. That Doug Peterson Show starts right now.
Speaker 2: Welcome into the Doug Peterson Show. I'm kind of Honnie Steven's filling in for J. P. Shaddrick who abandoned us for London early. Jeff Logoman still here and Doug Peterson. Of course, good to see you, coach.
Speaker 6: Good to see you guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you, coach.
Speaker 2: Are you a last second packer like me or did you already have stuff ready to go earlier this week? Because we've been talking about this, there's two strategies, and I am the last second person.
Speaker 7: I'm last second. I'm last second. I spent about an hour and a half last night late putting my stuff in the back, you know, because for us it's different because I get to just kind.
Speaker 2: Of where true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, really, it's hard for me to pack on this trip, you know, because I don't know what I really need.
Speaker 6: But that was really easy. It was last minute.
Speaker 2: Coach, You're going for two games this year, which is a little bit different. I know they have all the operations set for that, but what's the mental kind of that goes into that, and is it kind of like joint practices? How do you look at it?
Speaker 7: Well, for us, you know, with the Jaguar organizations, we've done this for many years now, and obviously I've been over there about three times and you know last year we were there and we do I tell you what, We've got a great team of people behind the scenes that really put this trip on and really make it easy for us as a football team to get over there, you know, and we have to treat it just like we're here in Jacksonville, you know, on a daily basis. You know, this first game, we get the bulk of our work done, you know, Wednesday, Thursday before we get on the plane, and then we got one day over there Friday and you know, a little review, we play Sunday, and then the following week.
Speaker 6: We just keep it as normal as possible. You know.
Speaker 7: I do want the guys to kind of enjoy, you know, their time in London since we're going to be there for about ten days and and get some time to relax. We'll have a day off, you know, after the game, but after that it's it's back to work and coaches will be game planning and and try to keep it as normal as I can as if we were here in Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Now. You guys have a great setup over there. And the challenge of this is that the second game, because you're going to be moving from one location to another. Was talking to George down the equipment room and and they're shipping containers out over there because you're at a different location and uh and then there was also a shipment that was airshipped over there this week. I mean, it's amazing the logistics that go into this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just to get you know, an NFL football team over there, and for all the teams that go over, you know, I think about Atlanta having to go over and then of course.
Speaker 6: Buffalo the next week.
Speaker 7: And of course for us, yeah, we we we you know, spend a lot of time ahead of time preparing for this and shipping a lot of equipment and gear and things like that over there.
Speaker 6: And you know, and and and like I said, it's it makes it easy on us.
Speaker 7: We just we just kind of show up and and sort of plug and play, as they say, and and you know it it it it makes it nice, It makes it easy.
Speaker 6: It makes it simple.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, our main main goal and focus is to play, you know, to play a football game.
Speaker 3: Well, and a big football game coming up against an Atlanta Falcons team that did pretty well the first two weeks. Struggle a little bit offensively against the Detroit lines, but that's a good football team that offensively they got a really good running back and a really good rushing attack.
Speaker 7: They really do and they're you know, and that's kind of how they are built and how they how they operate writers.
Speaker 6: Through the run game, and.
Speaker 7: You know, they got an excellent tight end who can beat you, a very athletic guy. And you know, you look at the defensive side of the ball too. This is a physical kind of an athletic group. They're they're an older, veteran group. At the same time, they want to anyway on film, it looks like they want to impose their will and their physicality, you know, especially with the offensive line. So you know, we have to be in the right frame of mind. We've talked all week about being a physical game. Defensively, stopping the run and controlling that because they are controlling the ball for almost thirty minutes you know, average time of possession, so you know, and then offensively, we've got to make sure that when we do have the ball that we're doing the most of it. We can't turn it over. We have to score you know, touchdowns, field goals, things of that nature, and play for sixty men.
Speaker 2: Doug mixed results against rookie quarterbacks so far this year. Obviously Anthony Richardson and then c J. Stroud. I know, Desmond Rider played some last year, but this is kind of his first full season going what have you seen from him on tape and what do you expect to see from him on Sunday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's it's interesting how many young quarterbacks were facing here early in the season. And uh, you know, one of the things that with with Atlanta and with Desmond Ritter, they're there with all these young quarterbacks. They do a great job as a staff to kind of protect these guys. They're not putting them out there and really exposing them to too much and and really just using their strengths right and and letting the run game really handle a lot of things for these guys. And then the passing game is is a lot of play action, a little movement, you know, high percentage type completions where the ball's coming out of their hands and are not having to process a lot of information.
Speaker 6: And and he's been doing a good job with that.
Speaker 7: And you know, you try to get these guys into the into the third down world where where you can create some exotic fronts, you can you can do some overloads, you can pressure and try to disguise some coverages and try to you know, affect their eyes just a little bit. Young quarterbacks tend to you know, rush things or get through their progressions too fast and the ball comes out.
Speaker 6: But you know, I thought c J.
Speaker 7: Stroud last last week did a nice job of that. He handled that extremely well. But again, coaches put him in a position to be successful, and that's what you expect this week as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching him his film looks like he holds the ball at times, and so started going back. I did looked at some of his statistics from college at Cincinnati. It's amazing. The guy ran the ball over five hundred times at Cincinnati. I mean, so this is a guy that's capable of running.
Speaker 7: He is very capable of running, and that's something that we have to, you know, pay attention to. You know, it's the one one position on the field defensively that sometimes you don't account for as a runners, the quarterback, and so we got to make sure that we do a good job there. And of course, as you mentioned, they got a couple of running backs that are the NB John Robinson. I think it's going to be an excellent running back in this league for a long time. And he's very talented. He got some speed the physicality, so you know, it's it's a it's a it's a full team effort, you know, come Sunday.
Speaker 2: On the defensive side of the ball, Atlanta spent some money in the off season. They I think I have seven new starters on defense something like that this year. Familiar phrase to Jaguars fans. Kalais Campbell, a bunch of other names there. What do you look at defensively? They're doing better than projected from what we've seen so far.
Speaker 7: You know, ran Nielson came over from New Orleans, their decordinator, and he brought a little bit of that you know, Dennis Allen style of defense over there. And and and you're seeing that with you know, with Atlanta, this is a physical group. You know, Grady Jarrett's one of the more quick twitch as a nose tackle interior d Lineman, quick twitch, fast, a great leader, get off the ball type guy. You know, Bud Dupree and Kalais on the outside. These two guys are just a lot of experience right there. And they you know, Bud can still move and we we know him from playing in Tennessee. And you know Kalais Is Kalais.
Speaker 6: He's he's a team leader. He's got some energy, you see it, you know.
Speaker 7: And then on the back end they went out and Bates is back there in a safety position, and and you.
Speaker 6: Know, Arrell's a corner.
Speaker 7: He's is a guy that you know has been there, and he's you know, a kind of a veteran, young veteran guy that really has done some nice things.
Speaker 6: And and this this group.
Speaker 7: One of the things you see on film too, is they're a game plan team that is going to scheme you differently than.
Speaker 6: They played the week before.
Speaker 7: Right, So what we saw against Green Bay or Carolina or even Detroit might even be a little bit.
Speaker 6: Different against us.
Speaker 7: It's just just the way he you know, he handles his his game plan. So you know, we look at everything. We go back and even watch some New Orleans tape, you know, when he was there, and and really get a feel for for how he's going to try to defend us.
Speaker 3: How important is it for you guys on offense to have some positive things happen early in that ball game, to snowball in the positive direction.
Speaker 6: It's a must.
Speaker 7: I mean, you go back to last week, we dropped the touchdown pass, you know early on the on the opening drive. Then of course we you know, I miss the field goal, so we gave up points right there, right away. And those things are those are game changers. When you go down the field and score on that opening possession, it changes, It changes your attitude on the sideline, your demeanor. Defense goes out, and of course defense has been going out and getting off the field extremely early. But what happened last week is it compounded. Right, we missed a touchdown, missed the field goal, they go down and score, miscommunication in the back end. Those are the things that you know, we can't we can't let happen. Those are the mistakes and the mental areas that we're trying to clean up right now. And you know, for us, it's a matter of offensively, we got to take care of the football. You know, again, we know that Atlanta is a ball controlled, possession type team, and every time we get the ball offensively, again, we got to make sure that that we're scoring and doing the things that we need to do.
Speaker 6: We got to take care of the football.
Speaker 7: Can't turn it over, and you know, that's kind of been our achilles heel, you know, the last two weeks. And so those are things that we're working on fixing and you know, you know, see you know Sunday exactly exactly how that that.
Speaker 2: Plays out, Doug, You've coached for a long time. I know after the game last week there was you know, just a lot of question marks because the team kind of beating themselves. Does that make it harder to coach them when you know they're good and they're just making silly mistakes? Or is it more difficult because you know what they're capable of.
Speaker 6: You know, it's it's a little of both. And you know, I was, I was very.
Speaker 7: I was really disappointed last last week after that game, probably probably the most disappointed I've been as a head coach, you know, with a football team, because it was all three phases. It wasn't just the defense or the offense, or it was all three phases. We had a hand in that loss last week. And you know, of course, as a head coach, you look at a lot of different things, right, and you try to put a finger on it. But at the same time you got to realize too, you know, the sun comes up on Monday, and it's not as bad as you think. We're We're really close in a lot of areas. We're making a lot of silly mistakes, and some of it is obviously very fixable and correctable, and and and it's really keep I keep harping.
Speaker 6: With the guys.
Speaker 7: It's always going to be about us and what we do in our preparation and the things that we put into the week and you know, work to win our mantra is our process. It's our process, you know, from from Monday through Saturday, right up until game time on Sunday.
Speaker 6: So you know, we just got to get back to that, get get focused in on that.
Speaker 7: I think this was an eye opener for our football team for a lot of players obviously, and look for a better, better performance this.
Speaker 2: Weekend, hopefully a point to move forward from Doug. Thanks for joining us. We'll see you in London. We'll be right back with Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network.
Speaker 12: Welcome back. The Doug Peterson Show continues right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think you stay through to the division, understand that the vision will take care of all the work. When you understand where you're going, you know what roles won't take you there. So I think for us it's just about you know, keeping the vision in mind and not letting you know, a loss here, laws there, take leave off track, stay disciplined, and you know it's it's a simple game. You know when you do things right. You know, you overcomplicate things when you, you know, put yourself in positions that you don't practice, things that we don't coach and then don't communicate. It makes things like yesterday happened.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Doug Peterson Show, presented by Fresh from Florida from the Hyundai Studios at the Miller Electric Center KA. Nannie Stevens in for j P. Shadrick. Jeff just got to talk to Doug and now we're heading to London later on tonight. Did you pack everything already?
Speaker 9: You're late?
Speaker 2: Are you a late packer or do you try to pre pack?
Speaker 3: Well, I know we had to prepack, you know, so unfortunately, but I'm not a prepacker for them.
Speaker 2: You were Wednesday night like getting everything.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, it's gotta be double checking bags tomorrow. So I'm gonna pack my bags tonight. Yeah, I'm not. I'm not one of those guys like my wife. Oh, she'll pack days in advance.
Speaker 2: She's good at that. I'm so bad.
Speaker 3: I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I gotta do laundry, and then I'm like throwing everything in last second. I'm stressed, and then I tried to this time leave a little bit of space because I know I'm going to buy stuff, probably because we're for like ten days now.
Speaker 3: Well, and what's very different is in the past it's been I think the longest time we were there. One year we flew right to London right after a game on Sunday that was home. And then one year we did it right after a game in Cincinnati. And so the longest time we've spent over there has been basically a week, and now you're talking about two games ten days. So a little different for this football team, different for us, for staff, et cetera, just because you're packing for a little longer and hopefully there are some facilities where we can wash clothes. But for the players, they're wearing football stuff for the most fine, and they've got a great setup. I will say that of all the years that the Jaguars have been going over since I think twenty thirteen, maybe the first year it was or whatever it was, they haven't figured out. Homs and his staff do an amazing job and the facility that they have typically stayed at for the last number of years is called the Grove. It's awesome setup. The players literally have great hotel. It's got grounds where the football field is at. They've got a workout room, weight room under a tent, and they can walk out of the hotel literally right to the practice field and then the food hall and everything is right there. It's a perfect setup. But this year it's a little different. So you have that set up for the first week and it's your home game against the Atlanta Falcons, but then after that you go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it's because the home team gets to pick where they go, right And yeah, I think the Buffalo Bills wanted the good setup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know exactly why, but it's that it's a little bit different. And then also two games back to back will be a little bit different from from the player's standpoint, But the organization does it first class. You know, the players have every kind of amenity that they need, so it's not like they're going over there in the rough and they're without all the great things that they have here. Obviously, they don't have the Miller Electric.
Speaker 2: Center, true, not that.
Speaker 3: No, not to that level, but it's good. Nonetheless, have you.
Speaker 2: Ever traveled like, I don't know if you're playing days, like, you know, some teams will go to California and they'll stay out there for if they have back to back games or the West Coast anything like, did you ever do anything like that for your career? Because I'm curious trying to stay there for as long as we're going to be there for these two games and then come back what that might be like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the coming back part is it could be.
Speaker 2: Tough because you'll be acclimated to you know, the five hour time difference.
Speaker 3: For me, it's it's always I've always had an easier time going west than going east. Okay, okay, because when you go west, you just stay up a little bit later and then you go to bed and or you can even go to bed a little bit earlier and you get a little extra sleep. When you go east, you get all discomputed. It's messed up, yeah, because you're going back and it's tomorrow. Well wait a minute, it's not tomorrow. It's still tonight, but it's tomorrow. Yeah, you know, so it's a little bit different from that aspect of it, but never as a player, never really had to go to California and stay there for a long period of time. But have gone out to the West Coast many times early, you know, on a Thursday or even on a Friday, with the opportunity to acclimate to a West Coast time. And I hated that. I never liked going out early. I'd rather just fly into a game. But London is very different. But it's what's incredible is that over the years they've done sleep studies. They have it down to a science. When I say they have it down to a science, they have it down to science from a logistical standpoint, getting everything over there that they need to but then also from a performance football player standpoint. They've done sleep studies, They've done diet studies. What's the best way to have your What do you do on the plane? Do you try to sleep the whole way? Do you take a sleeping pill, do you hydrate? Do you eat? You know when you get there? You know when you get there. Okay, what's the best thing to do? And now they got it where they fly through the night Thursday, get as much sleep as you can and you get there, go right to the practice. Field and then let the players get a nap if they need to on Friday afternoon, and then let them have a little bit of free time on Friday night, and then you know, Saturday, you get back to work.
Speaker 2: Do you alter it when you come back a little bit? What have they done in the past? Is Monday maybe a day off because we fly back right after the game the second game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you get back late Sunday night.
Speaker 2: Yep, and then kind of give that a day off instead of what you normally do on Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think again, it's easier going west, so it's easier coming back. But at the same token, you still have to be able to recoup because you're talking about spending what is it seven eight hours in the air on an airplane. It's never easy traveling whether you go east or west. I'd rather go, like I said, west. But when you have so much new, okay new traveling to London, having a game, changing hotels, another game which has never been done before, and then traveling back in and getting right back into game mode again, and then a short week after that first game back, it's different. It's different. It'll be a challenge, and that's why you want to make sure that you try to get back to performing well this first week against the Falcons, because if you don't play well this week, there's other challenges that are associated with the next week and then the week after that.
Speaker 2: There are other hurdles. But as we said, they've got it down pretty good, and it's gonna be ten games now that they've played in London, so that'll be pretty impressive and we'll have two in a row this year. So Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipchare dot com to browse all customizable options. Zipchair is furniture for fans. All right, we're going to London, let's talk Falcons. When we get back, we're gonna preview this week's matchup against Atlanta right here on the Doug Peterson Show on Jaguars Radio.
Speaker 12: Welcome back. Peterson Show continues right now.
Speaker 13: So Jacksman, like like you just brought it up, they're a team that's gonna come in this game desperate because they got a really good coaching staff and they got a good team, a talented player team. That's right, They've invested in essentially, you know, four pass catchers in the quarterback. They took number one and a good player and they played well at in the last season, and we got gotta play real well.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Doug Peterson Show, presented by fresh from Florida Kindannie Stevens here with Jeff Logman. That was Art Smith, Falcons head coach. They're in a tough spot too. They just had a tough loss to the to the Detroit Lions and or both of these teams are going to be kind of desperate going into this needing this win and never good win. Both teams are desperate because you don't know what's gonna happen. But hopefully the Jaguars are the good kind of desperate where they get back on track and don't just try to play crazy.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be a challenging game. And Atlanta Falcons came out and nobody gave them any respect, and then they opened the season up with two wins too and oho. And what's scary about the Atlanta Falcons is that they've got some serious skill position players and a really good offensive line that will challenge the Jaguars defensively. The one position that's a little bit unsettled which most people are like, that's a big question mark. Is Desmond Ritter the quarterback, but there's no doubting Bijon Robinson the running back from Texas, who they drafted very high. They've got arguably the most talented tight end. Kyle Pitts is a freak freak, an absolute freak of a tight end. Drake London excellent player offensive line, two really good tackles, both of them veteran guys. They've got a highly rated center, arguably one of the best guards in football in Chris Littram, Noah's uncle. Very well. But this is a challenge this week, and the Jaguars Allen will be challenged as well because the Falcons aren't giving up a lot of points.
Speaker 2: They are not, and we're trying to get our offense back on track, so that could be troublesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why I mean from a challenging standpoint. The Falcons have spent a bunch of money in free agency on the defensive side of the ball, and they got new faces across the board. Kalais Campbell our friendly face, yeah, which I love. Kalayis he and I think they try to get him here again in the off season. I know he visited yep and some other guys. Jeff o'cuda, who is a high first round pick for the Detroit Lions cornerback. They signed Jesse Bates the third, who is a safety from the Cincinnati Bengals who's a very good player. Grady Jarrett's been there forever defensive tackle. He's still really good. Bud Dupree, who used to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers, most recently with the Tennessee Titans, is there. So they've got some good players on defense. And Terrell the corner from Clemson. And by the way, there may be more players from Clemson in this game than any other game.
Speaker 2: They're going to be well represented abround at.
Speaker 3: Clemson guys in this game, man Dabo would would like the tennis game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if you have some time. You mentioned the defense. I think I looked and there was maybe at least seven different starters they have on defense this year compared to last year. And that's a different philosophy than the Jaguars took in terms of standing pat on defense. Pretty much the.
Speaker 3: Same it is, but it's similar to the Jaguars approach that they took in twenty seventiers and they went in free agency or signed a bunch of guys and it paid off for the Jaguars, and right now it's paying all for the Falcons. I mean, they're top ten points allowed, averaging eighteen points a game. They're the number four rated team, and against the pass, I'm giving you some numbers here, Okay, third down efficiency, they're top ten.
Speaker 2: I think we were doing good score.
Speaker 3: I know you know you think about all these Okay, like, okay, you wanted this offense to go ahead and get better. These are some things red zone and they're just out of the top ten, number eleven. So there's some challenges this week with this Atlanta Falcons football team. And Author Smith is a really good football coach, one of the best offensive mines in football. But I think he's a really good head coach. He hasn't had the results yet in Atlanta, but he also hasn't had the trigger man yet. He's had a lot of quarterback issues, going from Marcus Mariota last year, which was I don't want to say a train wreck, but it didn't go very well, and then Desmond Ritter is, you know, the hopeful one and they're building everything around that quarterback position. I think they're hopeful that Desmond Ridder is the answer, but I don't know if he necessarily. As we'll see, time.
Speaker 2: Will tell the second week in a row where the Jaguar's gonna be facing off against a quarterback that's been sacked a lot. Desmond Ritter has been sacked a lot. Segar Stroud had been sacked a lot until he faced us. Is this where we see the pass rush step up? Hopefully? Should we? Should I stop calling them out and start looking elsewhere before.
Speaker 3: What concerns me is twofold one. The offense of line, Matthews at left tackle, Mcgarriot right tackle. Good players, good good guard, good center. This is a good offensive line. They got good skill positioned players. But the other part is is because he's been sacked twelve times, a lot of people say, oh, easy target, He's easy to sack. Desmond Ridder is a mobile quarterback and if you need any evidence of that, look at his college stats. In college when he was at Cincinnati, had five hundred over five hundred rushes. Five hundred rushes as a quarterback. Okay, he doesn't have that many in the pros obviously, because he hasn't been playing that much, but he has mobility. He's not Anthony Richardson okay, which the Jaguars faced week one, okay, And he's not CJ. Strout okay, because Anthony Richardson is a mobile quarterback who's not afraid to run, and he's big and strong like Cam Newton yep Okay.
Speaker 8: C J.
Speaker 3: Strout is a pocket passer and he'll sit there. Desmond Ridder is somewhere in the middle there. So you got to make sure that you've got an awareness that he can run and that he is willing to run because he has a history of running in college and he's got a young NFL cris where a lot of people are using him. I guarantee you the Jaguars defensive staff is part of the preparation this week. Have went back and watched his college film just to get get an idea of what he does.
Speaker 2: You have to see it firsthand in a couple of days. Stay with us here on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network.
Speaker 12: Welcome back. The Doug Peterson Show continues right now.
Speaker 13: No even a game like yesterday. And that's the one thing too, where like those guys have been in some You got some salty bets over there, right, that's what you're lying on when you bring book, you know. But in Dave David kalaiis Jesse Caden.
Speaker 3: You old analogy that won their first rodeo on the road. You know. Sometimes that's that's what the XP station is.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into the Doug Peterson Show, presented by Fresh from Florida, Ka Nannie Stevens here with Jeff Loghaman. That was Art Smith of the Atlanta Falcons. We talked a little bit about this just in the segment before. But all those new names on defense, they are salty vets, as Art called them. And they had a little bit of a tough time with Detroit last week. But before that they didn't looking real good. They did, I will say, I will say on the road, yeah, and Detroit, as we've seen, beat the Chiefs there. They're nothing to be messed with either.
Speaker 3: Atlanta's offense just struggled mightily. They ended up having I can't remember how many sacks of Ritter I have, six, seven, whatever it was, which is why he's now one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the league. Yep Aiden Hutchinson I think had two. But look, this Falcons defense, as author Smith was just talking about, is kind of that's going to be the rock for this football team Atlanta, and that's why he said they brought in these veteran guys to kind of stabilize that side of the ball. And Kalais is a guy that definitely is perfect kind of example of a guy you want to bring in free agency because he's all about team, he's productive, and he's going to make sure that he brings everybody along with him. Jesse Bates the safety, He's got three interceptions already three games, he's got three interceptions. Surprised that Cincinnati let him go, but they had to pay Joe Burrow, so you.
Speaker 2: Got you gotta find the money somewhere. You gotta go in the couch and find the coins.
Speaker 3: So well, the Jaguars offensive line will be challenged.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: Grady Jarrett has been probably one of the better football players that nobody ever talks about in the National Football League, just because Atlanta hasn't been good and he's been there his whole career, but he's a good football player that's been active. He's a challenge to block what I'm going to be anxious about is and I still want to watch more film. Where's bud Dupree at? You know, bud Dupree was hurt so much when he was in Tennessee. You know, when he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was pretty dog gone. Good is he back to form at all? And then a couple other guys, one of them that Lorenzo Carter has been productive, but then Arnold and I haven't learned how to pronounce his name yet. Okay, second, your player out of Penn State? He where is number seventeen? He bickety bikity. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Speaker 2: They'll give us the pronunciations.
Speaker 3: But they've got some good young players mixed with these veteran guys, and it's going to be challenge for the Jaguars football team. But you know the great thing about playing at Wembley is this has really become a home field advantage. When it first started, it was there was a million jerseys from all teams and all eras of professional football. I mean you saw Zonka jerseys and you know, Joe Namath jerseys and like jeez, and you'd see so many different teams, they were always reper in it. Well over the years, the Jaguars following has increased, and obviously the more success that this team has, even the bigger that it's going to get. But it really has become a home atmosphere now that the team runs the operations at Wimbley and it's not a league thing. You know, the stadium has a Jaguars feel to it, it has a Jaguars fan feel to it, and it's a tremendous atmosphere, tremendous atmosphere and I love feeling that atmosphere every year. And now Tottenham I've never been to and that's going to be totally foreign. Been in a foreign country and you're an away game.
Speaker 2: It's going to be different a little bit. But we'll be there for the week, so we'll get the land of land. This should be okay. And when you have that advantage, we go there every year. Right, it's a little different for us this year with the two games, but Atlanta doesn't do that every year, so that you have that little bit of an advantage in that regard. And as we mentioned, Desmond Ritter I did want to mention we talked about some of the sacks on him. Smith went over some of those in availability and he said three. So there were seven. He said, three happened on play action. One was we held on and that was a coverage sack, and then two were quick hitters, just bum rushes, and then one was Ridder holding onto the ball.
Speaker 3: He said, so, and that's that's typically a trait of a young quarterback.
Speaker 2: Sure trying to figure things out.
Speaker 3: And which was shocking about c J. Stroud this past week because he didn't hold would you wouldn't have known that he was a rookie and Desmond Ridder is not a rookie, but he's still a young quarterback, and young quarterbacks hold onto the ball because they're still trying to go through progressions. You know, when Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were going through their progressions in their heyday, they were already starting the progression before the play was snapped. Okay, they had pre snap reads and tips and they figured things out, already knew and so the you know, Tom Brady might have been on his fourth read before the ball was even snapped because he knew. And it was the same thing with Tom Brady. Well, young quarterbacks like Trevor and Desmond Riddard even more so because he's not as experienced as Trevor. It takes more time, they hold the ball a little bit longer and so they're going to get sacked more. But again, the concern for me with this game is Desmond Ritter does have the ability to run and that concerns me. With a Jaguars defensive front that has not been consistent at getting pressure on the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback, they have not been consistent. That is definitely an area that needs to be worked on, among other things this week in Week four, So we're going to take a quick break. Coming back, we'll talk a little bit more about the Falcons and Jean Robinson, who lit the world on fire, cooled off a little bit last week, but we'll see what we're going to see from him coming up on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network.
Speaker 12: Welcome back. The Doug Peterson Show continues right now here.
Speaker 2: On the Doug Peterson Show, Kaid Nannie Stevens with Jeff log him in and talking Falcons, because why not get a pre things for this weekend. A lot of if anyone hadn't followed them too closely, Jon Robinson was a high pick this year, and he really has lit the world on fire out of Texas. Those first couple of games really lit things up against the Packers. Was held a little bit and check against the Lions because we know that defense. We saw that in training camp and the co practices that defense over there is pretty good. And what does he bring to the table, because as we talk about a young quarterback, it's so helpful to have a running back that can open things up for you.
Speaker 3: He's a true bell cow running back. What I mean by bell cow for those who don't know that lingo. He's a guy you can hand it to him twenty twenty five thirty times a game and he can carry the load. And he was that at Texas and I think he can continue to be that now. The running back out of Alabama that ended up getting drafted by the Detroit Lions, I liked him a little bit better just because he was so dynamic in the passing game. But Robinson is a true pounded out running back and he's also proven to be a very capable waters. You know, he's got thirty nine rushes on the air and he's averaging five and a half yards of carrier, which is impressive. But he's their leading receiver also, which is one of two things.
Speaker 2: Rightly problematic, because well it's one.
Speaker 3: He's good, yes, but it also shows that you've got a young quarterback, right okay, and the quarterback is dumping it down to the running back because he's not seeing the field to be able to deliver it to other players. But I love Robinson. He's got speed, he's got strength, he's got great vision. And the Jaguars have been pretty good against the run so far this year, but this will be their biggest challenge in stopping the run for two reasons. One the offensive line that Atlanta has, but then number two, the commitment that they have to it. And then number three, and I wouldn't necessarily rank it as three is Robinson the running back because he's really good.
Speaker 2: I was going to say before this game against the Texas, I would have said, oh, the run defense is a strong suit. They shouldn't have too much of an issue, but kind of fell apart on us in every aspect in that last game. So this is going to be a true tesque because, as you mentioned, he's multifaceted as well, and there's not always guys coming out of college that are immediately like that. So he is rare in that respect.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, he was. You know, he probably could have played in the NFL three years ago, which is wild. You know, he's a man. You know. The other thing I think about the Atlanta offense is that, you know, you've got Drake London who's a tremendous player, and Mac Hollins another guy who Hodge is also wide receiver that they have. But when you look at a young quarterback, and it always kind of remains true, you look at who the leading receivers are and typically it's tight ends and running backs, and that's exactly what it is with the Atlanta Falcons, and they're willing to play that style of football because Arthur Smith knows that, look, they need to play in the way they're going to play and win football is they're going to play good defense, depend and lean on those veteran guys that they acquired, and then also ball control offense. Don't get sloppy with the ball. Desmond Ridder has done a pretty good job at protecting a ball. He's only got one in reception, one lost fumble, and then be able to run the ball, control the tempo of the game, and they were able to do that two out of three games. And the Jaguars will have their hands full again because that offensive line with Atlanta and a good running attack will make it harder for them to rush the passer, which has been their achilles heels so far.
Speaker 2: These two teams seem to be in similar situations as well. Right well. Obviously the Falcons, I'm getting a little bit better. They had a hiccup against the Lions, but still trying to figure things out. Obviously, Trevor's been in the league a little bit longer than Ridder has, but trying to get that identity going. A lot of new faces on defense, and they're in a division that is you know, last year was deplorable and now they're looking pretty good. Other than the.
Speaker 3: Panthers, Yeah, I think it's still I'm still going to keep it back into last year's category because I think they got a They've got a long way to go.
Speaker 13: And the.
Speaker 3: To me, you can evaluate every division by starting with one position, and that's the quarterback. And you look at all of the quarterbacks that are in that division. You know, you got a rookie, you got a journeyman, you got an unproven young player. It's just it's not happening in that division. And you know, the Jaguars, I think, but I still believe that they have their handsful because again, Author Smith does such a really good job of running this offense the way that's going to give them the best chance to win. He's a good football coach, and there's been a lot of really good football coaches that have never gotten the credit because they've never had the man, that quarterback, and Author Smith hasn't even had anything coming close to being the man yet. Okay, but he's done a good job of making them competitive, and Jerry Foutna, their general manager, has done a good job of putting some pieces in place. The Atlanta Falcons are a quarterback away from being a really good football team right now. Their quarterback is not there, you know, and hopefully he doesn't get there this week.
Speaker 2: Yes, hopefully not this week. Coming up, we've talked a lot about the Falcons. After the break, we're going to talk about what the Jaguars need to do to turn things around. We're here on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network.
Speaker 12: Welcome back the Doug Peterson Show. Continues right now.
Speaker 2: Back here on The Doug Peterson Show presented by Fresh from Florida, we talked a lot about the Falcons with the Jaguars have a lot of their own figuring out that they need to do. Doug Peterson was saying in his availability back on Monday, I think someone asked him if this could be a turning point, right because after that game he was almost speechless at points trying to figure out what went wrong when everything went wrong. And last season he kind of pointed to that Detroit game that went just about as poorly as could go, and they used that a little bit as a turning point, you know, and turn their season around, made the playoffs, have that crazy comeback, and this will be a marker game. I think the Texans game, good or bad.
Speaker 3: Jeff Well, I hope so. I hope it is a game that we look at and we look back at and say, okay, that that was the game that spurred them on to great things. And it's not going to be easy because you had multiple aspects of your game that were off against the Texans, and you've got to you've got to fix some things pretty quick. And that's the hard part about the season is that you just you don't have a whole lot of time to fix things, and you don't have the ability to have lengthy practices or padded practices to fix things. You're kind of fixing things on the fly. But the great thing is is that I believe that you've got a quarterback who is exceptional and I think he's going to be able to help this football team in a huge fashion. You've got an excellent head coach who has been there and done that. And I like what they did. And I'm going to go back to this again because I mentioned it earlier. The Jaguars established their their physical nature a little bit against the Texans a bit. And when I say that, we can't forget that they did one good thing in that game. They ran the ball well with ETN and I think that's going to carry them and give them something to kind of lean on against this Falcons football team, and everything else will come. Evan Ingram's a good football player, okay, Christian Kirk is a good football player. Calvin Ridley is a good football player. When these guys start making the plays that are there, this team is going to be really special. It's not there yet, but I believe they will be there, and the running game is going to be a little bit of a crutch until they can get back to that. And I hope that Trevor continues to protect the ball fairly well, because that is something that if you all of a sudden start turning the ball over on top of what you've had, you're going to have a really hard time.
Speaker 2: I'll give Trevor credit as well, because he's looked good and some of those passes that were not caught are beautiful throws. He hasn't been making a lot of dumb mistakes. Sometimes he gets a little excited early on overthrows some people or an interception here or there. Hasn't been doing that. He's been making good decisions things. Other things have been going wrong.
Speaker 3: We got to catch the ball. Yeah, we got to catch the ball. Okay. And last year the Jaguars had the most drop passes in the league, and I made a note of this. At the beginning of the season, it was twenty five. The year before that they had twenty eight. I don't know what the number is now. I think it's right around six.
Speaker 2: Are we leading so far?
Speaker 3: Okay? And that's not where you want to be you need to kind of move past that category. Okay, in this past game, Evan had one and Calvin had two. You've got to be better in that category, especially when you have a gimmey Okay, when the balls are easier and they're right there, and three of those drops in this past game were right there and should have been calling.
Speaker 2: All right, one more quick break. We'll be back here on The Doug Peterson Show on Jaguarts Radio.
Speaker 12: Welcome back. The Doug Peterson Show continues right now.
Speaker 7: I just think it comes down to each man. Just it's a want to, a will to, you know. You know, obviously we can it's a staff. You can create it with the games and different things, you know, stunts and stuff. But I'll say it's hard when the ball's out of the quarterback's hand, you know fast, so you're on your second step or maybe your third step making a move and the ball's gone.
Speaker 6: It does affect that a little bit. But but we can be better.
Speaker 7: Just understanding the uh, the pass rush, the game plan you know that.
Speaker 6: Week, and and really use that to our advantage. You know, when you can't.
Speaker 2: Back here on the Doug Peterson Show, presented by fresh from Florida. That was Doug Peterson talking about the pass rush and at a certain point he said, as much, you got a man up and make it happen. And I know we talked to Jeff a little bit about the physicality we saw from the offense finally get the running game going. But for lack of a better phrase, does the defense just need to be more physical?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're doing a really good job of being physical against the run, and then I think that's allowing them the opportunity to rush the passer. And they're in lives of the challenge this week because of Robinson, who's a good back, and you got a good offensive line. I think this is a bigger challenge than the Jaguars have faced yet this season because they've given themselves a chance to rush the passer by being pretty stout against the run. Well, here comes the greatest challenge that stopping the run, because this is the best running football team that they faced. So can they continue to be able to stop the run like they did before? Then once they do, can they rush the passer better than they have in the past. And I think that this is going to be a season long. I don't want to say struggle, but it's going to be a season long conversation that we may have because the old saying it's not about the x's and o's is about the Jimmys and the Joe's. When you get Aaron Donald or you have one of those TJ. Watts okay or Nick Bosa's okay, then all of a sudden, your pass rush is pretty good. And right now there's not one of those guys on this football team on the front four, And so you've got to be able to do some things I think that are one creative and number two, you just got to stay after it. And when I say stay after it, you've got to have four guys that are pinning their ears back, that are in the best position possible and have in order to have a chance. And Josh has to get healthy and to be better for this football team because right now he's their best pass rusher.
Speaker 2: He certainly has the mentality for it, and we know he's had that shoulder injury against the Chiefs and hopefully if we can get them back one hundred percent. He's in a contract here, so you think you'd see the best.
Speaker 3: He has, well, you can tell that he's he's not quite at one hundred percent, okay, and that's not a good thing, but it's part of playing in the NFL. Nobody's at full strength. Trayvon needs to take a step, Okay, Trayvon needs to get on the edges of players and become a more of a successful pass rusher. He's trying to bully guys. Okay, you can do that in college. You can't do that in the National Football League. He's got to get on the edges of offensive linemen and use that power, because that power becomes even greater when there's indecisiveness on the offensive lineman's part when you're on their edges.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff, we're getting on a plane soon. We're going to London. Where's your go to spot is tourists?
Speaker 3: I just follow JP because he's big.
Speaker 2: Over there, and you know what, he left us early, so he gets no credit for today because he's just left us to clean total pubou that's true. He knows all the spots and he's already probably at a party right now. He's probably out a pub right now. Oh of course, he's big over there closing things down.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it, though, because uh, staying in a different place, staying in downtown London this year. Typically I've stayed with the team. This year, I'm not which there's some positive and some negative to that, but I'm going to try to take a little bit more of the sites and sound of London in while still enjoying some good football.
Speaker 2: I'll be there with you. As for our viewers and listeners six thirty am, we're gonna have the Public's Tailgate show kicking things off, so up bright and early because kickoff's at nine to thirty Florida time, And of course we want to thank everybody here. I'm filling in for JP because as we mentioned, he gets no thank yous, but we will thank everyone else that helped put the show together. Joe Fortunato, Brent Rieber, Andrea Curry, Will Pease, Kate Waski, thank you so much. Jeff, thank you for letting me come and sit down with you. And of course we love to take part in all the fun here. So thanks for listening to The Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network.