Speaker 1: Brothers in the building. That back than y'all.
Speaker 2: Detroit, Detroit, Detroit, what up though, Detroit?
Speaker 1: We in here? What up? Don't hey?
Speaker 2: The Pistons are in the playoffs and they win it. Man, life, life should be good out here right now. First of all, we want to think our partners are incredible. Partner stock X is such an honor to be partnering with you, guys, and give yourself a roundom applause to the family. You guys have been amazing, the hospitality, the partnership, the collaborations. We look forward to building a long lasting relationship with stock X. We appreciate you guys. Man, we we out here, Detroit. We had we're supposed to do a show here last year. I fucked that up. I apologize, well, actually my kids fucked it up.
Speaker 3: A good dad.
Speaker 4: It's very few good dads, Ross and Matten and being a good guy.
Speaker 2: Blame it on them. But nevertheless, man, we're back. We're really excited again. Shout out to stock X. We got some great guests. We're gonna have some great conversations.
Speaker 1: Stack.
Speaker 2: You got a little bit of history with this city right here. You almost got beat them. Was beat the shit out of you out here, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, you know what's crazy, and a lot of people I'm glad I can say this today like they loved me for the shit that I did because not it wasn't had nothing to do with the team.
Speaker 2: Or none of that.
Speaker 4: They love the fact that I'm a RIDA and Detroit is for the Riders, so I can come to the city any time I.
Speaker 1: Want to and be good, and be good, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Z, Shout out everybody out of the day.
Speaker 2: Man, You're lucky that it was out in the Auburn Hills and not downtown Detroit, because you might have been fucked up if.
Speaker 1: It was out here in time, probably wouldn't be here talking right now.
Speaker 2: Well again, we're really excited to be here and without further ado, let's get our first guest out here, homegrown boy uh one of the hottest young rappers in this space. Also a big time gamer. I'm interested to learn a little bit about him in the gaming space too. But welcome to the show man T Grizzily.
Speaker 5: May sixteen.
Speaker 1: Let's start there, Yes, sir, forever my moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm releasing Yeah, what's your fans expect when this album come.
Speaker 1: Out in the drop. So this album it's all me, you know what I'm saying. There's no features, no filters, no none of them features, none of it just me, you know what I'm saying. And I'm really doing it for the people that's out there grinding and chasing their own moment, you know what I'm saying. I remember when I wrote the first My Moment when I was in prison, and I just wanted to tap back into that space and balancing gaming like you were saying, and being a having a family and just having to be who I am, just putting it all into the music they're coming to.
Speaker 4: Man, I mean you ten years ago, you was in prison, you know, and you pop out today. I mean bigger than anybody, you know what I say. You've done more than some people that's been free this whole time. What's the process and train of thought that go through yourself from coming on to be able to build yourself to where you are today?
Speaker 3: And salute to all that too, because a lot of people can't bounce back.
Speaker 4: We've seen a lot of people not bounce back, but you mastered it, bro So salute to that.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, Bro, So my thing I appreciate y'all. I create a vision in my head or who I want to be, where I want to be at, all the things that I want to achieve, and I just chase that person, bro, and I become addicted to just making progress and getting closer and closer to becoming that persons that I'm visioning. It's impossible for me to have these visions of who I want to be and where I want to be at and just not do nothing, you know what I'm saying. So the more progress I make, the closer I know I'm getting to be coming it, and I just get addicted to that feeling.
Speaker 2: BRO.
Speaker 4: During that process, you know, we all go through stuff and we need people to lean on. Who are some people that you can lean on that you kind of on to, you know, to help you get back to where you want to be?
Speaker 1: I would say, besides like friends and family, I would say my strongest weapon is prayer. Bro. You know what I'm saying. When it was just me, I had God, so give it up. You feel me?
Speaker 3: Detroit rap scene is, how has it ever been?
Speaker 4: How do you feel being one of the you know, one of the young Pineeers and involved.
Speaker 3: You know, it's rap scene. You know, when it's damn there, it's highest.
Speaker 1: Man. I feel great about it. One thing about Detroit music, I've always loved it and appreciated it. I'm happy that the rest of the world is getting to appreciate it the same way we did this whole time, right, you know what I'm saying, Because these people been like celebrities to us, and we've been having a music and repeat. So I'm happy that the world is not catching on and accepting it.
Speaker 4: We talk about Detroit hip hop, define that for people that don't know what Detroit hip hop is.
Speaker 1: Detroit hip hop for me through my lens, is this authentic music. It's really stories.
Speaker 3: You have your own sound. Yeah, yeah, by far.
Speaker 1: So when people go in the studio, they come in from a place of experience. They coming from a place of Honger and it's gritty here. It's ugly here, you know what I'm saying, the experiences, and for a long time the world didn't set it because it was too gritty and too ugly, you know what I'm saying. But nah, it's to the point where people like hold on, were we from ugly too? Really the same people from different places, you know what I'm saying. So I'm happy that the door was able to be open for us.
Speaker 2: I can see upbringing the Detroit paint the picture for us about your upbringing and how you fell in love with music.
Speaker 1: So my upbringing, it's so crazy because it was so fun and I didn't even know it was so fun, and I didn't even realize a lot of stuff was wrong, you know what I'm saying. I didn't know that it was wrong until I found out. Hold on, we can't be doing that, you know what I'm saying. So my up bringing it was it was rough now that I look at it now. Then it wasn't rough to know no better. I didn't know no better. But it was fun. It was good times, it was bad times. And as far as music, when I started hearing Detroit artists, like the first Detroit artists, and then I would actually see them, I would see them in the car that they just had the song about, or I would see them doing the stuff that they were just rapping about that just enticed me, and I'm like, man, I want to do that too. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm from Northern California Bay Area Sacramento area. So anytime there's something depicted about the city, you know, obviously I paid close attention to how real was what we've seen about BMF and what fifty did about that type of show. I know obviously you were younger at that time, but your people, how close up a depiction of Detroit is that to the truth?
Speaker 1: As far as I really can't speak on none of the illegal stuff, but as far as like dudes wanting to get money, that's the that's the heart, that's the heart and the soul of the city, like Detroit Breedes hustlers. You know what I'm saying, We gonna find a way to get to it regardless. For sure, you play an these sports. Growing up, I played a couple sports. I played football for a minute, box full of a minute. What would you like in both of them? I was good. I played pop Winner for a minute. I was cool. What position? I was a linebacker? Okay, so you can hit people? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you box to Yeah? I boxed, And so I was like seventeen, Well what stops somebody? What stopped you from continuing that?
Speaker 1: Man, I really ain't have a way to get back and forth to the gym. My coach was on me. He like, if you really want to do it, you will get here. And I'm like, man, I really don't have a way to get there. You know what I'm saying. I wanted to, but I just I just couldn't.
Speaker 2: Growing up, what's your fondest memories about the city of Detroit.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of different moments, Bro. It'd be going to the mall after school with all my friends. We don't even buy nothing. One person probably probably buy a T shirt, but we just walking around or being on a block in the ice cream truck pull up and it's an older dude over here that just buy everybody something, or just I don't know, just being around the neighborhood with my with my peers.
Speaker 2: Bro, you're regarded as one of the best storytellers in this hip hop's space today. Where did the storytelling the aspect of your rapping come from? So it's an artist from here payroll Now. He was the first person who I heard do a kind of story.
Speaker 1: Type of vibe. I've heard a lot of people do story wraps of course, like the slick ricks and stuff, but the way he did it. He had this song called Best friends and the way he did it, it was just so amazing to me. I'm like, I'm gonna do that one day. And when I finally got a chance, like to get around to it and write it, it turned out amazing for sure.
Speaker 3: The first day out Pistons playoff anthem.
Speaker 4: How does this feel to half that, you know, being home and have that and what was the process of getting that done?
Speaker 1: Man? It was amazing. Bro. First of all, the feeling, the feeling is crazy. I remember, this is your city, that's your team. Yeah. Yeah, it showed you to get going. But I remember I was in like the fourth fifth grade. We went on a field trip to the Palace of Arburn Hills to like a Pistons game, And right now it's like a complete full circle moment. Even though it moved, but the feeling is amazing. The way it came about was I mean, they knew who had the anthem, so you know, he said they knew they's had a tap in. Yeah. It's really priceless though, like being a you can't get that kind of being a part of this moment is priceless for real.
Speaker 4: So I think at this moment, you know, we're talking about the games, that you have in the anthem. I think we have a StockX gifting moment. Fatigu Grizzly. Oh yeah yeah, so you can be fresh for the game. Shout out stock X one more games. You know what I'm saying, Stock as.
Speaker 2: One that my phone is on hold on real quick, bro. So obviously being a Pistons fan, how does it feel. I mean this is for everybody, but particularly you. I mean, Pistons have been down for a minute. I mean I remember when we was in the league mid early two thousands and obviously we got a sheet here. We're gonna talk to him in a little bit. Pistons basketball was something to be dealt with and it had a little low. But now that you guys are back, Kate is leading the charge. JB is, you know, the head coach, creating culture. How does it feel as a fan of a Piston to see them back in contention?
Speaker 1: It feel amazing, bro, It feel amazing, Like the vibe different when I'm hearing I knew it was real when I started seeing people jump ship, like I know, people that's had other team go ahead take them other team fans, And when I'm starting to see people switch over to the pistons. I'm like, oh yeah, right, we back for.
Speaker 3: Sure, Let's get back to the game of presence.
Speaker 4: Uh, you got a huge you got over one point two million subscribers on Twitch. What initially drew you to becoming being a game and how does that fit into your overall legacy.
Speaker 1: So I'm being honest, bro, I probably was a gamer before I was a rafting foremost, you know what I'm saying. But then when when COVID hitting, we stuck in the house, It's like, I'm just gaming all day and I meet some people online that was like, bro, you should stream like you actually good? And I'm like, how high stream? So I had somebody fly out and set me up in my crib to the point I'm like, I want it so easy. All I gotta do is press a button. And I've been streaming ever since, so you had to do.
Speaker 2: I saw you talk to the dudes for the million dollars was a game, but it's a while ago. So I forgot some dude from Canada set up something for you to do. What he set up a motim or what he set up? Yeah, some my boy North he has like that. So he built servers, servers that's what it was. Yeah, so he had built me a grant that photo server, and that's what Grizzly World is. So explain what that is, because I mean, you could put your own products in there. You can put the homies products in there. They put anything in there and monetize from the game. Right, it's fully customizable. For example, my boy got a food truck. Hi, we just put that in there. They've been going crazy.
Speaker 1: Food truck. He pull up to the hospital.
Speaker 2: They be You put real life ship in the game and then it translates to dollars in real life.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's exactly.
Speaker 2: Bro. Did you ever think you'd be paid to play video games?
Speaker 1: Though? Never, and you're making good money.
Speaker 2: You have to talk about the number, but you're making good money playing video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure. It's it's I encourage anybody to do it.
Speaker 2: So when I be on at the fucking Twins to get off the game, I need to chill out.
Speaker 1: And let them do their thing. Let them do the man, just make sure they streaming straight up?
Speaker 3: How did your sneaker taste develop over time?
Speaker 1: Sneaker tastes develop over time. Be honest with you, and I ain't even about to fake it, like, Bro, i' voy it has been just a weak timberlind white Loaves person always, so I never really got off into being like into sneakers crazy. Now if I see some fire, then you.
Speaker 3: Waiting in line and thathing like that ain't no getting on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ain't doing none of that now because you can't go wrong with some white loaves.
Speaker 2: Go to every time it was ad Bacs in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, too much dirt out therea to be wearing though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you balance gaming? Fatherhood music? And you're one of them artists that's dope, but you make people wait like you don't throw a bunch of shit out there like you make them wait. That's why obviously May sixteen is going to be a big anticipated day. But how do you balance just your life because you've got a lot of different things going on?
Speaker 1: Man, I would say you need an assistant and a planer, Bro. For real, everything has to be scheduled, even stuff you don't think, like down to the smallest thing. You got to have a routine and everything has to be scheduled that way. When I'm want something, can't nobody complain about nothing?
Speaker 2: That's the one thing I told the kids earlier.
Speaker 4: A lot of stuff going on, you know, in the streets, and you know, for the youth, what was some what's giving some advice? What would you tell you right now if they asked you, you know, for some advice being a big part of you know, the city.
Speaker 1: So for the youth, man to the to the youth. That's I had not too long ago, probably last summer, I had went to a few county jails, like all over the country, right and each and every last one of them, I'm talking about every one of them. It wasn't one that had a different type of mindset. They wish they didn't do whatever they did. The moment that they that I talked to them, that's some of the first stuff they say, like, man, I wish I didn't do that, Bro, it wasn't even worth it. I wish I didn't do it. So to the youth out there, whatever you're doing, you gonna if you get caught, you're gonna wish you did not do it. I use myself as an example, like when I got locked up, Bro, the moment they put them handcuffs on me, I'll learned my Listen, they ain't even have to give me no time. You feel me I learned right there, Like all right, bet, y'all serious, you feel me? It up, he said, I've learned. Just everybody wish they didn't do it, So just don't. Don't end up wishing you didn't do something that go for chasing your dreams or getting in trouble. Don't be in a position where you wish you to do something. Facts.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, bro, I appreciate y'all. Definitely want to have you for a full length interview out in La So we'll line up with you and figure out when you have time, fly you out, put you up and really dig into your past and all your greatness.
Speaker 4: But thank you for your time. I need that gameing hook up too, because I'm a ceodal. But he ain't ship though. He's a niggas behind. He's a snapper. He sits back at just nice people. He ain't in the field. Don't let them life. He lost hand to hand combat in that game. He's hacking with a knife like Jason. That's crazy, ain't it. They say you can't.
Speaker 2: Bring an to a gul fight, But I think he's doing to kills you again with a knife.
Speaker 3: It's like this nigga just hit.
Speaker 5: Me with an.
Speaker 2: He's from long.
Speaker 3: Range, from Tom Brady range.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna show you how he don't play the game. What new map just dropped? Don't say nothing, what new map just d I don't play the game. But I okay, so he don't know.
Speaker 5: Let you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, don't be what sniper you run? I don't run a sniper. I run too sall rifles okay, but yeah, yeah I got over here. I got over yeah, yeah, overkill where you can have two assault rifles.
Speaker 2: He's been smoking. Don't believe the bullshit, but knowing man, y'all give it up. Grizzy man. We appreciate you, brother, Thank you, dog, appreciate you. Our next guest is the NBA champion found a home out here in Detroit. Welcome to the show. Rashid Wallace by sheid, what's up? My brother?
Speaker 5: What it does?
Speaker 1: What's happening? Baby?
Speaker 5: You good man? Sat same can't complain?
Speaker 2: Hey, so I hear she like two weeks ago, I'm like, bro, we're doing a live show. StockX said they need you your fan favorite. Let me know your information. We're gonna fly you out here. Take care of you take. She's like, Okay, I'm in, but I'm gonna drive. I said, what, this motherfucker drove eleven hours here from North Carolina just to be here with you, guys, man, So give it up from she Yes, sir, oh no, driving is my thing.
Speaker 5: I ain't even gonna lie. That's that's my thing.
Speaker 2: You came here in one of the biggest trade deadline trays in the history of the game, and you were actually we was talking about this out back when we was fellowshipping use with Stack for one day. You guys play the game two days, one game Hawks versus the Nets. Stack, you killed twenty five, seven and six. She you had twenty six rebounds and five blocks. And next thing you know, you're out of here for some real basketball because you was playing some bullshit in Atlanta, so they had you come to Detroit for some real basketball.
Speaker 1: So pick up.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was playing men's gym at U c l A with Stack. Those are all summer league numbers. Don't don't put that on account. But what did it mean? Obviously, you and Stack, being brothers, got a chance to play with each other briefly. But what did you feel like when you knew you was going to Detroit and all the talent that was here at the time.
Speaker 5: Man, it was lovely.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: We were just sitting there as me stacked JT and uh, you know, we had the game and in Jersey and then you know, we flew down to Miami. He was about to play them, I think like the next night or the day after and next thing, I know, you know, like you said, was chilling on.
Speaker 2: I know, paint the picture for everybody. What was y'all doing when you found out you got traded?
Speaker 5: Like right now, all right, we're all chilling in here right now, right girl playing and that ship just came across the ticker right there, and everybody we look right here, everybody like oh you know, that's how we was.
Speaker 2: We looked at him like did you just see that?
Speaker 5: I was like, look, I'm looking at my phone like he ain't hit me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, man, that's some bullshit or.
Speaker 2: That like nigga, is that you That's how I looked at it, Like, bro, I.
Speaker 5: Was like, man, we you know, we was like damn after one game, but no playing playing that with Stack though it was good, it was lovely. I felt rejuvenated, you know, playing with some some younger guys who got it mentally him. JT played with Boris di al on there. Terry Stotts is our coach, so it was it was good. But then when I got that call, so I'm like, all right, bet, so I got you know, I gotta go where they go.
Speaker 1: It's still play ball.
Speaker 5: The funny thing about it, I'm with Portland and we came here to Detroit like about two weeks prior to the trade. I'm talking big ship man, y'all can't stop us, y'all ain't ship this and that man being the funk out of here, and.
Speaker 1: Y'all know how I go, right, But it wasn't personal, you know, so the game.
Speaker 5: So it is during a game, part of the game. So then I get traded, right, so boom, I'm here and you know it did the press conference and all that shit, right, So I go in the locker room and I meet the gods.
Speaker 2: I'm like, damn, just talking to everybody.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 5: I'm like, bro, you know that wasn't you know some serious shit I was talking, you know, a couple of weeks ago. You know, it's all part of the game. So you know, everybody just laughed. It off and everything, but no, it was it was a brotherhood, man, and and coming here with that team, who would have thought? Who would have thought? Everybody on that team was solid. Everybody on that team was solid veterans, of course, except for our more younger players, but man, everybody was a journeyman if you look at it. On that team, myself, Ben Rick, the only one who was an original was take Shawn, Yeah, and other than that, everybody else was a journeyman. Even even our bench d Ham, Eldon Campbell Orles Williamson, you know, everybody else was a journeyman. And it was like, man, we we but we got it though. We got what it meant to be in the league. We got what it meant like, look all these motherfucking games count, and man, by most times graces we clicked and boom. We just went out there and you know, did what we did? You know we got We do have one record with that team that I know for sure, especially in today's era, will never be broken. Nope, we held I think it was either six or seven teams under something like seventy points for seven straight games. That'll never be done again. And the thing is we didn't even try to do it. We were just out there playing, just us being us. We didn't even try to do that.
Speaker 2: We was like, oh shit, LB was y'all coach Larry Brown man pound for pound? Well like for LB, LB is not. What was it like fucking with LB?
Speaker 5: I see, I see. Larry Brown was a mad scientist. For those who know basketball, you know, of course LB has been a great coach in a lot of places that he went championships or conference championships something. He's a mad scientist man. He you know, did some things that Coach Smith did. And when I say coach Smith, Dean Smith down in Carolina, you know that was his mentor as well. So when he did some of the things that Coach Smith did, Like okay, let's say during the regular season, we got to play called three circle. It's for you three circle. So it's gonna be me and Jack setting the screen for you coming off on a double for you to go to week's side so they don't come playoff time. All right, We're going to do three circle. But here's the wrinkle. Everybody expecting you to come off, so they trying to prepare for it and jump it. So now all it is is me back screen Jack and now Jack coming off and then you hitting me and then I'm popping out or whatever the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ship.
Speaker 6: But it's like, yo, who the fuck would have thought of that?
Speaker 2: The wrinkle?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, like wrinkle, Like.
Speaker 5: It's a hard wrinkle. And but LB's a mad scientist, man, He's He's one of the best coaches I've.
Speaker 1: Ever played for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had LB and Charlotte super probably my best year. Yeah, I had my best year. We got into the playoffs though. Yeah, coming from Portland in Atlanta, how does it feel? You know, men, you both are active in the communities that we play in. How does it feel to have the city of Detroit embrace you like they did when you came in?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, it was lovely. It was lovely. And I think that hell precedents to the point where Ship. I was out in the streets.
Speaker 2: I'm out on the streets, on the streets because y'all play they Yeah, yeah, we played.
Speaker 1: This way though.
Speaker 5: I frequent and out here downtown Joy Road, you know, just just hanging out.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm out in these streets and and.
Speaker 5: The city embraced me though, And that's what I love you know, because for the simple fact, I think they embraced the blue collar ness because of the way that the city is. And look, y'all see me now, I ain't flashy, I ain't got no ice. You know, that's that's just my persona. And and I think that's one of the things at the city embraced, like, Yo, this is every day dude, you know this and that. I'm like, shit, yeah, I do go to the market for myself by myself, this and.
Speaker 1: That, so I am.
Speaker 5: But it's just the fact my job you see on TV, I'm the nine to fives entertainment.
Speaker 2: I'm just like y'all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that but the city embraced that. And man, I didn't have a problem going anywhere. It was mad love everywhere downtown, you know, in different sections, you know, East Detroit, West Detroit. It was all loved because why we all represented the city and then they knew we were some killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, straight up.
Speaker 3: We all dealt with some bad press.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of a lot of times people misunderstood your passion for the game and use things off the court, you know, different nicknames and the press that did anytime the n of that ever bother you or deter you from being who you are.
Speaker 1: I know the answer, but I'm answering.
Speaker 5: No, it didn't. But I actually honestly gave it some thought one time, though at the time I was married in Portland.
Speaker 1: Y'all gonna crack up with this.
Speaker 5: So I know, y'all remember the incident with Damon stottle Myron and I when you know, if they don't explain it, well, we were we were coming back from Seattle during the game, and you know, we got pulled over. The cops said we had weed and this, and that we didn't have it because I already smoked my jay, it was already gone. It was so I knew you had had ship with a d on end I had so hey past tense and you know, we got into a little trouble. So on the way home, I'm like, man, I don't think they're gonna show this on Sports Center the next day.
Speaker 1: Before you get there.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to cut you off, didn't I heard is urban did the team bus pass y'all when he was pulled over on the side of the road.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get to that.
Speaker 1: So here it is.
Speaker 5: You know, they pulled us over, and so it's a rookie cop. So you know, of course you got two NBA guys. Man, man, it should look good on my record. It's a name for myself. So I'm like, all right, So the rookie cop, you know, boom, he out there, he got us, and the lights is flashing. The mind you if you know most of you guys ever drove on a dark road. Let's say y'all drove from here to Indiana or here to Chicago, something like that. Right, you know you're going to run into a dark road with no fucking lights. Right, So here we are Boom, we on the road, no lights. So all we see coming around and being we see some flash, some big lights and all they see is the flashing lights.
Speaker 6: In the darkness. Hey that's the bus right there.
Speaker 5: Team bus go by were like, oh damn, So the team bus pulled off for a second, you know, they pulled over. The PR guy got out for a second. Damn No, they got off the bus. But no, it was just a PR dude. And you know the cop the cop did is you know, you stepped back this night? He got back on the bus.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: So I ain't mad at him for that because I would have been like, let's leave too. So we're like, oh man. So then boom, next morning, I wake up and on ESPN and so my ex wife she's my ex wife today, but at the time she was my wife. She's like, oh, what did you do this and that that? I'm like waking she waking me up, hitting me and Ship, I'm like, what what's happening?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 5: What did you do this?
Speaker 1: And that? That? You on TV? I'm like, what are you talking about? Ain't nothing happened. I ain't do nothing.
Speaker 6: I ain't get no text, I ain't been cracking nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm chilling.
Speaker 5: We ain't have a game, no text. She turned the TV on and then talking about the traffic stop, right, So I'm like, oh, Ship, yeah, So you know I had to be real with her. It happened and this and that. Right, But the funniest part of that. So we at home one night chilling la la la la.
Speaker 1: La, watching watching The Chapelle Show.
Speaker 5: Right, So we're chilling, and you know, they got I think it's a segment he had when keeping the Real Goals wrong or something like that. Right, So they had the cop walking down the street with the baton and he's seen a car with the windows up all smoky. He taps on the window and rolls the window down, and it's Charlie Murphy and Ashy Larry and all you see is smoke come out of the car and Charlie Murphy. All he said was Rashi all.
Speaker 1: My wife was mad as fuck ya.
Speaker 5: But me, I am on the floor.
Speaker 2: That's legendary, legendary.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm crying, my stomach hurting, my face hurting from laughing so hard, and.
Speaker 6: You're under arrest.
Speaker 3: Rush sheet while up it's not.
Speaker 5: And it was nothing else that I could do. So she was like, see, see, that's that bullshit, and now your son's got to go to school and list.
Speaker 1: And I was like, damn.
Speaker 5: I was like, that's the only time out of my whole career, I really felt bad. Other than that, as far as a text on the court that I'm justified, it was still kind of dope.
Speaker 2: Though it was still kind of dope.
Speaker 5: Though it was funny to me, Yeah, it was hilarious, but she didn't find it funny, like even to this day, I might catch it.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm crying, I'm crying.
Speaker 2: I had something similar to Kanye West with the ship he talked about me and I think it's funny, but my ex wife still be getting mad at that shot.
Speaker 1: I'm about to drive.
Speaker 3: Like Matt Boss. Just WHI A nigga.
Speaker 5: Asked, Hey, it's life life, It's urban legend.
Speaker 2: Now it's above us exactly. Still active in the Detroit the community visit Flint consistently during the water crisis.
Speaker 1: Where does that stand?
Speaker 2: We talked to mo'cleves last summer and he said, it's still not as good as it needs to be. But why do you feel it's important to give back to a community that gave you so much?
Speaker 5: It's still fucked up in Flint. To be honest, I'll say it no sense. Nobody else do. But it's what I grew up with. Man, It's what I grew up with, you know. It was It was crazy that the day that I took my family and my friends up there from North Carolina from Philly, ran into an organization called New Era Detroit and they was out there doing the same things we were doing. I was like, shit, can we walk with y'all? Cause you know, we got a truckload full of stuff? They had a truckload full of stuff, and it's like he was like, yeah, you know the leader Zeke. He was like, yeah, come on, you know, because it's all for us, so all for the people up there in Flint, you know, whoever needed it. And so we was going door to door and then just doing a lot of things here. When I was playing here, you know, out of Kettering High School and just being again in the community in the daytime and nighttime, your presence is felt. It was fun. It was good though, but it was much needed, you know, just to let the people know, like yo, I was in that same situation. So y'all not alone. So everything that I could do, that's what I tried to do for the city of Detroit. Everything that I do or did here in the city Detroit, I tried to do in the city of Philadelphia, the city of Portland, DC when I played there, wherever I go. Yeah, because man, it's universal, you know, it's that that lower income is universal. Bro, it don't matter what city.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about them early. This is kind of off script, but you mentioned DC. You had you C Webb and Juwan Howard rod strickland Mark Price, Mark Price talked to us about them early DC days, and I mean a power forward heaven over there with you three over there in particular, Man, you.
Speaker 5: Wanted me to tell you the truth about that. It wasn't even a learning lesson on the court. It was more of a learning lesson off.
Speaker 1: Of the court.
Speaker 5: Explain that I had veteran players, I had a veteran power for by the name of Bob McCann. He was the first one to really break taxes down to me. You know, as a young and coming up, we're not thinking about you. Hear about tax season and it's like, oh, that's when you get all the money back and cook everybody in the hood, everybody talking our taxes, taxes, taxes right now. It was like, we get there. But and that's what he broke down to me. He was like, he's like, young fella, he was like, you're in a different tax bracket now, you know. He's like, you know your mom growing up and your aunties and all of them. He's like, no, you're not in that tax bracket no more. Where you're getting back them a couple of hundred dollars and this and that. You know you're going to do this and have to do that, And he, you know, broke the whole tax thing down to me, and I'm like, damn. And then you know, just breaking it all down about all right now you're traveling, like, hey, look, you know you're gonna have different things this and that. He's like, man, he was like, you a good kid, and you don't need to get caught up in that bullshit out there with them chicks who be in the hotels and.
Speaker 1: All of that stuff.
Speaker 5: And you know, I'm like, man, I said, I feel you eventually. I did eventually, but that's another story.
Speaker 2: You got experience as the best teacher exactly.
Speaker 5: And but it was just everything about life, not even basketball, bro. It was life that they taught me. That bab mccannn taught me, that Sea Web taught me, that Jawan taught me, you know, and and that whole team Mark Price again playing with him? What who? I never thought in God's Green Earth that I would play with Mark Price. I grew up watching him. We're playing with him on the video games Live and all that shit. You but to play with him, so all right, that's that's that's thorough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I definitely accepted and respected that because it's like, damn, last year I was watching you with Cleveland and he was falling in the playoffs, and here I am this year playing with you.
Speaker 2: That was a time back, though, when we really used to practice and the first team would go at the second team. Tell me what it's like for a young you. And although Webb and Juwan were both young, what was it like those battles and practice between three of the best young power forwards in the game at the time.
Speaker 5: First, I was starstruck, to be honest, I'm not gonna lie, because I was just watching those guys play. At the University of Michigan. They changed the fashion rules, you know, the big baggy shorts and uniforms and socks and yup and you know, the shoes and all. They changed it, and of course we all was affected by that. You know what I'm saying. We all had that little fab five venus. And so I'm like, damn, I'm playing with two of them. I'm playing with Chris and Juwan.
Speaker 6: I'm like, man, And I was.
Speaker 5: A big fan of them, and just to but to hear the basketball knowledge that they gave me, you know, I was like, all right, bet, and here I am the second team. It's myself, Robert, Pat Tim Legler, uh Don McLain, who went to u C. L A and I'm missing oh uh and second five, damn, damn.
Speaker 2: His name is on the tip of my Tonguebert mcelvain, Oh, Jim mcelevain.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's second five. So that second team. So we're going against trash Mark Price, Calbert Cheney, Mitchell Butler Webb and Juwan or they could have through you know, Big George and there George mure sign depending on how his knees felt, you know, with practice stuff. But man, that ship a learning lesson for sure. Battles got my ass beat, but it's a learning lesson. Came back the next day. Yeah, I'm sore, I'm hurting, but you got to come back the next day. It's all part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it different kind of different times. Some of our best memories in Golden State were off the court. Can you share any funny most of them, all of them, all of them. Can you share some of your off the court stuff here that you can share. I mean, you told us the crazy story about when you guys won a championship and you went home and did what you had to do, But can you tell us any fun stories about this this team in particular.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, for sure. I'll definitely give y'all g rated.
Speaker 3: Story I think they want are there ain't no shit if you want now.
Speaker 5: She guys are grown down and their coaches here and there.
Speaker 1: You know, I got you keep it g keep it g my bad.
Speaker 5: But I will mention one guy because this is my guy. He's crazy. So here we are, we're defending the championship. We go to Atlanta, so that's when you know everywhere I carried the belt and all that shit. Right, So we all go out to eat. It's about all in all, it's about fifteen of us. It's about maybe six or seven guys on the team, but you know, we got a couple of homies with us and this and that. So we go out to eat. Everybody have a good time eating, drinking. Boom, we get full. So now we hopping the cabs. No ubers. Back then it was.
Speaker 4: Cabs and carry you had that belt with you at all these places.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so you know, guys hopping cabs and you know, for some of the friends that was local. You know, they drove, but we all pulled up to the spot right boom. We in Atlanta go to the club, so mind you all you see the big mob cats ranging from like six two six three to about like seven seven to one, right, like damn, hey, yo, hey yo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we're gonna need y'all here at the front door.
Speaker 5: So, you know, as we're walking up getting out the car, a we seen, that's your security came. So who's leading the charge, the shortest dude out the bunch, Lindsey Hunter, it's my guy. It's my guy, right, So he's leading the charge. So we all four, you know, we all four? Right, So he walks up and you know Lynz strolling like George Jefferson and boom walks. He's just walking through. So the security like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, Where are you going? Man?
Speaker 6: He's like, man what He's like, hold up, man, you can't.
Speaker 5: Just walk in here like that. We need to see some ID. So lindsay did the old school Dragonfly Jones, like like, like, man, you see you know who we are. He's like, man, we don't pistons, man, we don't pistons. And he's like, all right, but I still need to see some ID, Like you want to see some ID. And at the time I was wearing a championship ring. I didn't bring the belt to the club because I didn't want to leave it or no shit, but so I just had to ring on right. And then he was like, Lindsay said, you want to see our id ray show them my I D. I showed the security that ring. That bitch was blinging. Lindsay was like, that's our I d chump and just walked on through the door. And hey, we walked on the door behind you.
Speaker 1: It took like land.
Speaker 5: It was lovely though, but we always went together in the group.
Speaker 2: Man, that's dope.
Speaker 4: Big walk us through what a game day routine looks like. For she from when you wake up.
Speaker 2: Don't leave nothing out everything, don't leave nothing out, all the.
Speaker 4: Medicine and stuff you need to get ready for a day's game, y'all.
Speaker 5: Something else.
Speaker 6: I just want to let y'all know.
Speaker 5: No, it was fun, though, so more daily routine. Let's say game day, wake up, take the kids to school, come home, blow one, chill out, go to practice or around, depending on you know what it is, practice, shoot around, boom. After that, maybe with one or two of the guys, a couple guys on the team, we might catch lunch somewhere. Then we all got to break up right after that, cause we got to pick the kids up from school. So go pick the kids up from school, come home, do homework. It's my turn to cook. My wife she did the homework. You know. It was always just everybody had their role.
Speaker 2: Even on the game day, I like all this, Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: No, no, I took it. Yeah, sure, but I mean just just the regular routine. It's just like, you know, if it was my turn to cook's and we had a game, that's the only time I got an excuse other than that, even if I wanted to hang out. She was like, I don't give a fuck. You better make sure that y'all there's some food in there and the dishes done all that. I respected that, all right. I made sure the kitchen was clean, food, all that stuff. But on game day, yeah, take my neck. She picked the kids up from school, go to the game. On the way the game might blow one or might blow one when I wake up, but then go to the game, so I'm in the right frame of mind. And because I live right down the street from the palace. But man, I loved it. It was It was nice short ride, quick ride going to the game, and man, once you step in between them lines, it's it's lovely. I just want to let y'all know, it's a whole different atmosphere. So y'all, y'all see it from one side. And and for those who did go to the palace and around this time, that playoff time, y'all understand like the thickness of the atmosphere, you know what I'm saying. And man, just just to see that once you step in the lines, smell that popcorn and to see everybody up there, and all you hear.
Speaker 2: Is try.
Speaker 5: The whole arena state fire be fired.
Speaker 2: That's doe, give it up, that's dope.
Speaker 1: Y'all have. Y'all have always had.
Speaker 2: An amazing home court advantage.
Speaker 1: Were talking about this earlier today.
Speaker 2: Stocks like when you came when y'all was good coming here, even not during the playoff, during the regular season, like during the announcements and the fire all that was just like, god, damn, it's a real shit right here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: Man, hey Mason, he's the genius.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, he came up with the whole Detroit basketball slogan. And so I had to protect my guy one day. You know, we in Cleveland, and so I'm about to check into the game. So I'm sitting at the scorers table, and you know, just so happened that somebody from Detroit.
Speaker 6: I can't remember who, but you know, hit the.
Speaker 5: Ball out of bounds and the guys talking about something Cleveland's basketball. Hey you you uh uh uh uh No, don't don't try to copy my man. Don't try to copy my man. Don't do that. Don't it's only one. Don't do that. Come up with your own slogan. And then I checked into the game. It's only one man. Mason was a genius at that man the way he announced everybody on a team name, not just the starters, with everybody out, the energy and man, he elect that crowd y'all. He's still here during the morning show. Mason in the morning.
Speaker 2: To cut off sweats, Where did that come from? Sweat and the pulled out pockets? Yeah, every little different with your ship. But you have motherfuckers throughout the league. I was one of them to this day. They cut off sweat. Now, how did that come about? You have some cut off warm up sweats on last night?
Speaker 5: Actually that I did that. I did the inside out pockets first, came when I was playing in college. It's like, like, you know, shit, I ain't got no money. So it was my sign to myself, I'm hungry. I gotta get some money. I'm hungry because if your pockets are inside out, can't ship go in there, ain't no money going in there, and you can't even get no lint in there. But once you get some money, you can go ahead and put them pockets the right way. So it was just a little lesson with that. But as far as the cut off sweats, I started doing that in Portland when I got traded, because the rain out there always rained out there, and you know, it was a little bit more chillier. Not necessarily the snow cold, but that rain cold is a different type of fucking cold. And Hey started practicing with sweatpants. And then one day the bottom of my sweatpants got caught under the heel of my shoe and oh it's a little slip, all right, all right, once it's out for a couple of weeks, you know. But that's when I was like, Hey, told the trainer, Hey, bring me them scissors, And from then it kept my knees warm. That was the biggest thing. About it playing in Portland and a lot of cold arenas. If you think about it back then when we played, there's a lot of heikes.
Speaker 1: There's an ice heights on the floor.
Speaker 6: So that shit was cold as fucking there, you know.
Speaker 5: And so let me go ahead, warm these old ass knees up like a fifty seven Chevy man. Just practice with these sweatpants on and cut them off. Yeah, they was cut off, probably up to like right about.
Speaker 1: Here, and shit was flying still fly.
Speaker 5: And but no, you know, you know where I knew I made an impact. I think I can't remember if it was Nike or Adidas. I seen it one day.
Speaker 2: They started making those kinds of shorts.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep, yeah, I said, making us.
Speaker 1: Like she used to cut them.
Speaker 2: But then the NBA, I don't know what what Sprouncer were with at the time. They started making shorts a little bit longer, but it still looked cooler because they had the seams all to see. I didn't like the scenes I like to cut off. Look, you know, the little they definitely try to bite your ship.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 5: Hey I'm from Philly.
Speaker 2: We trend setters, as you should be.
Speaker 5: When did pregame dance come into play pre game dance right here, Yeah, pregame dance used to be honest.
Speaker 2: Can they catch you doing this in the clubs out here? No, okay, just making.
Speaker 5: Sure that was just pregame dan, to be honest, it came from the people. It came from the energy of the crowd, because during when Mason was announcing our names, the crowd was hyped. Everything was all It was just that energy. We all like, I felt their energy and I did a special tribute as well. Like and only in the playoffs. Every time we made the playoffs, I would point this way, and the whole crow.
Speaker 1: I point this way and every which way I would point.
Speaker 5: I would point all four direct wrestler man like a wrestler, and the crowd to be hype, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Let's get this shit going, this shit going.
Speaker 6: And it was just exciting and just being silly and having fun.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, everybody think that basketball players is always mad and this and that no were out there having fun too, stepping between them lines. But I loved it, man. It was all energy is classic. It's classic, and it's sparked. I guess some of the younger guys do it in some of the huddles today with the with they they style a little dancing or whatever, but it was fun doing that.
Speaker 2: What is it like to be here back at this time though? This is a special time in Detroit again. They're back in the playoffs. But like you said, the atmosphere is thicker than energy, is different during the playoff time. What does it mean for you to be back here now later although you're not playing, but it's still the kind of the same spirit for the city of Detroit.
Speaker 5: Well, I know for the for the players themselves, you know, this is a new ground, which is good for them in their careers. Like, hey, this is what it's like. It's a different feeling, it's a different fever. But for the fans, for the people, it's like, all right, shit, all right, this is the start of it. You know we're back now, you know we're on the way. We got to build it up so it won't just happen overnight. It got to be that, you know, had that team that's built up, and the fans are the ones that I think reminisced the most about them being back in the playoffs right now.
Speaker 2: That's what's up. Five straight conference finals appearance from two thousand and four to two thousand and eight. Let's start off talking about you guys beating the pit of the Pacers. In the two thousand and four Eastern Conference Finals. Tayshaun blocks Reggie shot. We just have Reggie on the show, and he said that shit still handsome. He said he would trade his push off on Jordan to hit the jumper to be able to take this layup back and be able to make it. What was going through your guys mind, obviously that that could have stealed it right there. Look at the score, by the way, look at the score. This is the first half score in today's NBA. This is the fourth quarter with fifteen seconds ago, and Tayshan had this incredible block.
Speaker 5: Talk us through this. I got I got that picture. You see that angle they just showed from up top. I got that picture in the vault, and I swear to goodness, y'all, that ball is like a fraction of an inch away from the backboard.
Speaker 2: About as close as I was hitting Kobe with the ball, Yes, close, clock right, the.
Speaker 5: Fracture right there, and I was like, oh my gosh, I was like that. At the time. I was like, all right, good block or whatever. You know, we got it, but reminiscing about it, you know, maybe a year or two after that was like, damn, that was a that was a great playoff moment, like we all we all know playoff moment, Jordan scoring sixty three in Boston play a great play off moment. You know, Reggie hitting what was it the scoring nine points or eight points in like three seconds or some shit like that in New York, you.
Speaker 1: Know, great play.
Speaker 5: That was a great playoff moment because again, as Reggie said, if he would have went up there to dunk it.
Speaker 6: That would have been gained and that could have changed the series.
Speaker 5: But Tayshawn gave that extra effort and man, just to watch that he ran down from from damn near at the corner, It's like, no, you're not getting this. Reggie got I think that that sparked and saved it.
Speaker 1: Reggie gotta dunk that. Yeah, Reggie had to dunk that.
Speaker 5: You know, Red thought like, look, he gave that one look back like there's nobody here. I guess he didn't see Tayshawn come out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sean was kind of transparent. He's the same color as the court, so he might have.
Speaker 5: Said that, yeah he got he got that.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four heavy underdog versus the Lakers an incredible.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one counted, No one gave you guys a chance.
Speaker 2: But this city and that team, what did it mean to first and foremost beat the Lakers? But how did y'all slow shack doown?
Speaker 5: No, we didn't slow shackdown, like like Ben and I and Elden Campbell and Corlis and Mimi Ocres. We played them to our best. We just made it hard for him. You know, big fellas was still big fella. I'm saying he was still the most dominant athlete at that time. But no, we just had to slow him down. And it's like, look, we got more fouls, we got the energy of more files, Like we just gonna have to fuck him up, you know, not necessarily deliberately, like intentionally, but look, we can't make it easy for him. And that's what it was. You know Ben's strong ass, y'all stay home. I was like, damn, because I remember Shack beating my ass, beating our Vita Saboni's ass, beating Jermaine O'Neill ass, and you know when we was all in Portland. But when I came here and we played them in the chick He's like, no, I got him. I said, oh shit, like all right, all right, cool, Now I can stay home and do what I need to do and help everybody else out. And man, it was just that chemistry, dog, you know, it was. It was crazy. It was that good chemistry. Everything fell in line.
Speaker 2: What did it mean your first ring into this city?
Speaker 5: Man, for me, it means a lot. For me, it means a lot. I went three times, but it was only successful once. But man, well let me tell you, like, I remember that to this day, and it's it's nostalgic, and you get the crocodile tears and everything each year because you know, you're watching it when the NBA Finals come up, and the first thing you're doing is looking.
Speaker 2: Up like, damn, we got one.
Speaker 5: I remember when we did this, you know exactly, and it was it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 5: And to this day, you know, to come back here to the city is like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: You know, you get love from everybody everywhere, you know, from.
Speaker 5: From the people on the street and the restaurants to everybody in the strip clubs and.
Speaker 2: All the juke joints, everybody between.
Speaker 5: Well everybody in between. But it's love and that's and that's what I like. I'm I'm glad that the city embraced me because I embraced them, and man, it was it was a match made in heaven.
Speaker 2: You were a witness to Lebron james Is coming out party in the two thousand and seven Eastern Conference Finals where he scored twenty five straight points and we're able to knock you guys off. What was it like being in that moment? Obviously you're a vet. You see this young boy coming through and he's just on one.
Speaker 5: We was like, man, get the fuck out of here with a lot of the shots he was making. But no, that's twenty five straight Great talent, great, great fucking talent. At that time, you know, we didn't know he was going to be the player that he is today.
Speaker 4: All right, So I'll nobody't to say switch after five or six, But I wait till you got the twenty five.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 5: Hey, we tried to get schemes and scam saying all that shit didn't work, men, fuck Like you know, young young fellas set that mark right there, and it was great. Uh, you know, as I said, we didn't know that he was going to become the player he is today. So you know that also made it, as you just said, Jack, like no, we're not going to switch it all like that. You know, like Tayshawn got on Tyshawn was a remarkable defender ship. You know, he did a great job on Kobe in the finals, you know, the year or two before. So we was like, all right, like tay got him, and we stayed home doing this, doing that, and then you know, we just tried different schemes when that wasn't working and just to help him out. But yeah, hey, that was the hell of a runoff. You know, I gotta gotta tip your hat to that ship. You know, it is what it is. Let's talk, kicks. I was harassing you earlier about the shoes he was on. Y'all didn't even see. He got hisself of his shoes right here. He got some sweat his shoe.
Speaker 4: These are some rare Rashid Wallace's and he got his whole picture on the side of him and they swayed fire fire and he had something on yesterday too.
Speaker 2: But you don't even care about that type ship. That's what makes it so dope, you got yourself on the side the shoe. You don't even give a fuck, so wrong.
Speaker 3: Made what made you stay loyal to the forces?
Speaker 5: The nickes n times, Well, I played in them because it's the only shoe that protect my ankle. As y'all can see, it's already high, so it covers your whole ankle, unlike you know most of the times where cassaday they wear low times you got some guys to wear three quarters, but no, you got to protect your money makers. And at the time, air Force one was the most fashionable but yet highest high top shoe that protected my ankle and along with tables.
Speaker 2: So you played high and had to wear high shoes always.
Speaker 1: I feel you'll as you know.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing, though, y'all, here's the thing, so y'all won't think that, you know, you could just go ahead to the foot locker or whatever and buy them out the box and go get to the court.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 5: I had orthotics, all right, so I had I had little insert real shoes right, yeah, man, the insoles in these joints the box, Oh my god, it's like converses.
Speaker 4: With all the new technology coming out and you being who you are, especially while you were playing, Nike didn't hit you up like she. Man, we could put the same logo on some of these new fresh Nikes. Man, you sure you don't want to switch up? You was like, I'm staying loyal. I ain't want it.
Speaker 5: They tried to when at the time they tried it, but no, I didn't want it. I already set the mark. Now, you know, I was already known for wearing airs then, so as as some people call them airs, some people call them uptowns, you know this and that.
Speaker 2: But I was already But you ship didn't even look like it was laced up tight. I know, the big strap never was strapped like.
Speaker 3: They convinced you to do the strap eventually.
Speaker 5: Yeah, strap on the bag thing. Strap was a Philly thing, Like Philly when we wear hot top air Force ones, just keep it at the back, on the back. So that was the Philly thing we did. So you know, that's what they did on the playground. That's what I grew up with. And hey, take that ship.
Speaker 1: To the league.
Speaker 4: They ain't never tried to give you to somebody like come on, she want you wet these bronze One time.
Speaker 1: Once I got established.
Speaker 5: No, but early on I didn't have my shoe at first, Like when I was playing in Washington, I ain't had my own shoe. I was playing in sea webs and real talk, Bimbo Coles, tools, No, some some air mats, Cross Trainer, Ken Griffy.
Speaker 2: Oh that was just fire. Did you just strap them neither? Huh No, No, they ain't had no air bubbles everywhere around.
Speaker 5: I had to get a heavy ankle tape because they have no support at all.
Speaker 6: But they was fashionable. I was like, oh, these joints is fire.
Speaker 5: Oh definitely, wearing ankle braces, taping your ankle all that ship with them.
Speaker 3: But they look good though you out there with third basement shoes on.
Speaker 5: Man, No bullshit, no bullshit.
Speaker 1: Then I feel somewhere.
Speaker 6: And then but when once I got to Portland, you know, of course home and night. Then our guy, my guy. I know a lot of people mad at him right now.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: Nicoo man, that's our brother.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: They talking about.
Speaker 2: Taking some ship right now. Though it's all right.
Speaker 1: I'm with him.
Speaker 5: He you know, approached me and ended up you know, getting a Nike contract with them. He was my rep. And the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Just you guys that know Nico's the guy that traded Luca, so he now he's a GM, but before he was the Western Region Nike rep that took care of Kobe everybody.
Speaker 1: Nico has always been to homie.
Speaker 2: He's done some heat right now, but he used to be he me.
Speaker 4: And I'm telling you, if you the man sit next to the man in this building, don't you laugh because one day you might be asked to do something you don't want to do. Yes, sir, exactly what happened in that situation. Any players today that have the high top air force one with she Wallas type of game that you would allow to wear your shoes, that you would want to wear your shoes?
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, that's that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, smoking the doesn't have to be a thing because we just league in the league now so you can pick anybody.
Speaker 3: You have a lot of guys to pick from them.
Speaker 2: What kind of chances did we take for these dudes that have just chances?
Speaker 5: Hey, look listen here, remember them the days putting that Tiel up under the door, were thinking that ship man, that shit ain't worked.
Speaker 2: For the whole hallways smoked out.
Speaker 5: Let's open this and get the vacuum to go this.
Speaker 2: Man and put and put a shower cap on the on the smoke.
Speaker 5: None of that ship, Oh yeah, put put the wash cloth on the sector. And then you see when you get your check and ship you seeing that the fine three three fifty for smoking in room. Damn, y'all don't really know like that.
Speaker 1: Fuck it.
Speaker 2: We used to take real chance of smoking because you called. So when you guys first in league, it was the one preseason test and you were good. Yes, All of a sudden mid two thousand they started the four random tests, which was bullshit, but we were still smoking. So that means any given day you could have a p test. So I know, I used to pay my trainer to get me a heads up, like, yo, bro, let me know what's on the list. At first, the league would give you names, but then they found out we was too smart, so they would just say, hey, heads up, we're testing your team today.
Speaker 1: So they would test four or five guys. So every single.
Speaker 2: Time I know I got a call, I had to prepare as if I was getting tested. We have to take them nasty ass drinks and drink all that water and you know we are.
Speaker 4: It was horrible, terribly. You couldn't getting no routine. When I came to the league, it was easy to get a routine. When they threw them random drug tests, they threw you all off.
Speaker 5: But you know what, I won't say the whole thing, but I think they randomed the randoms. And here's why I say random because one day, you know, he came, They came and tested a couple of guys on the team. So I'm like, oh, my name wasn't called. I'm like, all right, bet he not coming back for another three months next least, right, So I'm like that.
Speaker 6: So you know, one home you know, had a little bowl.
Speaker 5: Hoked up. He did the next.
Speaker 1: Day he came back back to back days.
Speaker 6: Whose name is on the list today?
Speaker 5: Just yours cheat and a couple of other players. I'm like, oh fuck. I'm like, fuck it, I'm caught. I'm like, it's nothing I could do about it. Like, ain't no drinks or none of that ship you didn't call clipping dirt man that ship. No, I wasn't tripping. I won't tripped. I'm like, because it's the first time of fence, you know, That's what I'm thinking right. I never got called. They never was like, oh, you came up dirty and this and that.
Speaker 1: They didn't care.
Speaker 6: It was either that or I was like, damn, they random the randoms.
Speaker 2: Where you diluted to diluted, you drink too much water, so heat all kinds.
Speaker 5: Of that motherfucker was hot. Hey, that pistol is hot.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you this.
Speaker 5: You could have put that money in any type of other drug scenario, bitch, when it came up motherfucking positive from marijuana.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Man.
Speaker 5: I'm glad, you know. I'm glad for the guys on the team right now. The city is doing well with it, and man, I just wish them, wish them well. You know they got they gotta do it, do as good as they can. They they did what they could the other night, tied it up, brought it home one one. They did their job. It's always the jobs, as y'all know. We vets. Hey, all I need is one. We just gotta get one on the road and take care of home.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't wear it.
Speaker 2: You got a jersey in there too.
Speaker 5: Yeah I got a nice cage jersey. Yeah, okay, but no, definitely, thank you. Stock as for that though, Man.
Speaker 1: The art of the turnaround jumper?
Speaker 2: You being damn near seventy one and you shot the ball two feet above your head. Where did the art of the turnaround jumper? Because I actually saw you at a high school camp and it's been circling around. I G you're not on ig that much. But there was just a clip the other day about you hit a turnaround jumper off the glass in high school. I'm like, damn, that's the same shot you killed in the league with. So what did that? What did that shot?
Speaker 1: Probably? One on one? I locked that ship up. He could not get that shit.
Speaker 4: He tried some new he got some move man where he backed you down and he tried to wrap his leg all the way around you when I'm going no, he got the new move work, but he tried to I was on that again.
Speaker 5: No. Actually, truth be told, it came from high school. So playing ball or the first couple of scrimmages, you know, it was a normal thing to hist the rebound and bring the ball down and who's taking it a little guards. So for a whole season my freshman year, my high school coach, every time we had to like run laps or anything, like outside of a sixteen yo. I had to run with the ball like this, and it became muscle the same way y'all would see a football player, if you know, for guys who went high school in college, you would see the football guys just walking around with the football. They going to science class and you're like, what the fun and coach like, yeah, coach it, I can't fumble it no more. So it was the same way I had to had to hold a ball above my head and doing laps, you know, every running drill. I'm like fuck. And it became a natural reflex. So now every time I grab the rebound, it was automatically up our outlast four core outlets, half core outlets, and it was just a natural reflex. And I didn't want to come out the game because he said, every time I bring the ball down, you coming out.
Speaker 1: I ain't coming out to day.
Speaker 4: And natural reflex, you know, That's what they tell all big men now, especially when they get rebounds, keep doing bring the ball down, keep the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you still teach that when when you coach a big man.
Speaker 5: Got to go what I got quite a few drills actually for them to keep that ball above their heads. You know, just automatically you catch that rebound, you're right there offensive rebound. Instead of bringing it down to go back up, you're already there. Ship six eleven seven feet seven to one. Go ahead and drop that bitch in there.
Speaker 2: Last time he was on the show, you talked about how Joe Klein punked you.
Speaker 3: With a viral clip.
Speaker 4: Anybody else besides Joe Klein punk you way he was playing the league?
Speaker 5: No, because now that I can remember that that punked me like he did.
Speaker 4: Dog on everything story, some people that might not have heard it, all right, all right, So.
Speaker 5: So here I am. I'm I'm a rookie, and Joe Klein went to the University of Arkansas. That's my guy. Ended up being my teammate later on in my career. But so here it is, I'm a rookie. He's playing for a Phoenix. So we're out in Phoenix and I'm like, all right, bet playing them. And it's a certain play that Jimmy Lineam ran where the big man gets the lib for the dunk. So the first time I went up, you know, boom, I caught it. I dunked it, and y'all what y'all don't want it tonight. So Joe Klein looked at me. He said, hey, you do that ship again. I'm gonna fuck you up, man, whatever, old ass dude, we ain't get out of here with that ship whatever. You ain't ready for this, so boom. Like two plays days later, Yo so os, which stands for the same old ship. He's like s O S S O S. I'm like, bet hey, right, I take off. It was like air missile defense. The next thing I know, I'm like this. I'm like damn, and he's standing over me like this. I told you I was gonna knock your ass out better. Don't try that shiit no more.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, Oh bro.
Speaker 5: I was like, I had a whole different respect for veterans in the league. Then with him and Terry Cummings.
Speaker 2: Terry strong as a motherfucker. Terry comes with strong as fuck bro again.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, y'all, I don't mean to go back down way for our memory lane, but it's funny as fuck so here. I am freshman, I mean not freshman rookie. Excuse me. Terry Cummings is on his way out, but he's at the time, he's playing with Milwaukee, right so like, all right, you go and Terry Cummings and night, I'm like, all right, cool, I know who he is. I saw him play on TV with Sydney Mindcreef and all that. I'm like, all right, cause they was big rivals with the Sixers, doctor j Andrew Tony, all of that, right, I'm like, all right, bet. That's when I knew the difference between weight room strength and grown man with kids strength. Okay, let me tell y'all it's a big difference. Don't let that weight room strength pump y'all up to think. Y'all caught dieseling this and that, y'all deal with an old man who'd been through some shit, who got like four kids and about eight grandkids to rustic ass hands. Hey, let me tell you, I'm trying to back this man down. First of all, he gets the ball in the post, hot knife going through butter laying me up left and right. Damn, I get.
Speaker 1: The ball in the post. It's like this the same way.
Speaker 5: This couch ain't going nowhere. This is me trying to dance and the man I passed the ball out. I'm frustrated.
Speaker 6: Repost what repost man?
Speaker 1: You crazy?
Speaker 5: I'm reposted I'm posting out there at the three point line, Terry Cummins was strong and ship and that's when I knew the difference between grown man's strength and weight room strength. Strong dude, man, I'm telling them NBA veterans man for real.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Regard miller Man. He's the reason why we have this new segment called factor fiction. I think he started it because his sister came on the show and he had a lot to say that was fact to fiction. We're gonna start with you. You was eject fact to fiction. You was ejected from the McDonald's fact How.
Speaker 1: How the fuck you get kicked out of an All Star game?
Speaker 3: The McDonald's how you please? I didn't even do that fact fact fact?
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 5: Like no socause man like? I could deal with playing hard?
Speaker 1: I could.
Speaker 5: If you busting my ass, I could deal with that. You know what I'm saying, Yo, don't come at me with all the elbows and dirty ship though you ain't got to do that. If I'm busting your ass, don't come at me with that bullshit. Dog make you with it. The big Boy, Darnelle Robinson, the Big Fellow from Chicago. You know, we ended up being friends in the long run, but it was like, yeah, you know, he shot the elbow. I ain't appreciate that ship man, so you know I gave him that elbow back. And yeah, they gave me the tech man and kicked me out of that much one or two. I didn't care. I didn't want to be there. I didn't want to be there. No, no, to be honest, I didn't want to be there. Like I'm y'all already know I'm not an All Star Game type of I don't give a fuck about the All Star Game. And McDonald's is snatch. So they're like, oh, yeah, he top player in the country, you gotta be there. I'm like, yeah, so I was half hearted with all the ship there. The other records you probably have, the probably won't be broken. The only person could kicked out McDonald's All American game fact with.
Speaker 1: Ronald McDonald was there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you just had came from the children's hospital the day before.
Speaker 1: No bullshit.
Speaker 3: You know, I know I was there too.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of your first scrimmage games in the us U n C, you dunked on senior big man Eric Montross and said, your job is mine factor fiction.
Speaker 5: Those words. No, it wasn't those exact words. We hear the words, but it was something like that. It probably was something like this my ship now or you know, something like that.
Speaker 1: Let him know you was here. How'd that go?
Speaker 5: My presence is felt, my presidence. But him and Coach Smith taught me a lesson. So playing against Eric Montrose, that's my guy. Rest in peace. So I'm like, all right, in practice for the first you know, month or so, he's busting my ass. You know, I'm like shit because I'm still struck, like, oh ship he was. I just watched him a couple of months ago winning championships. So here I I'm practicing and playing against this dude. So I'm like, all right, bet so first month he busted my ass and I'm like, man, bet I got his game. Here I am. We in practice. He goes for his jump hook. So with his jump pook, he always liked to just put the elbow out first and then go up with the right hand hook. I got you, I got it, I got it. Take the elbow. I stepped back and I'm jumping straight up. Block that shit. Right boom, we start to break block that shit to stack stack we.
Speaker 6: Out, let's go, we out, Boom, they come back down.
Speaker 5: Next time he clears me the fuck out smacks me all in my face. I'm talking about hearing me like this, Jon Pull. I'm like, oh, so, I'm like, okay, it's an accident. You could take that, you know, the first time, it's an accident. But when he came back down and did it again, same thing. Oh no, dog, we got to fight right there. I'm like, man, the fuck out of here. They're like, oh, you're gonna cut that shit out, coach.
Speaker 6: Oh no, we don't do that.
Speaker 5: We don't say that here.
Speaker 6: Oh give him a vest.
Speaker 5: So anytime you had to, you know, you you were getting disciplined by any of the coaches, you had to wear a weighted vest. Yo, run them laps.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: I had to run till Coach Smith told me to stop. So I ran for about maybe like ten minutes. But it was a learning lesson, you know, like, shit, I can't fuck I can't fuck with the All American Senior.
Speaker 2: Facts back to fiction. You actually like NBA Rep. Joy Crawford. That's my guy with him, that's my guy. It's from that Philadelphia area.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had our differences back in the day. But hey, like everything else, you know, we all got it something. I guarantee you if I ask y'all. Right now, how many in here don't like y'all coworkers?
Speaker 2: They don't want to raise their hand, they don't want to here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but hey, it was it was we was at work, but off of the cord. No, Joey a good dude, Philadelphia area dude. You know it does a lot of good charity work. So no, I Fox with Joey Crawford Quick hitters.
Speaker 1: First thing to come to mind.
Speaker 2: Let us know, first team all dark alley U plus four going down a dark alley?
Speaker 1: Who you taking?
Speaker 5: Taking myself? I'm taking Ben Wallace, I'm taking uh Darvin ham Strong, I'm taking Isaiah j R. Rider Easy right rider. And at my point, like a dark alley situation, I'm gonna have to go with strict dying.
Speaker 6: Roger, strictly strictly dying.
Speaker 1: I ain't at that.
Speaker 5: Aggressive big point guard.
Speaker 3: Favorite spots to eat at during your time here in Detroit?
Speaker 5: Oh wow, we were up there in that whole little Birmingham area then, So it was a couple steak joints. Uh, it was shipped at what's that hotel up there where y'all used to stay at?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: I was just asking you that night, what was that ship called the.
Speaker 1: Middle?
Speaker 2: I couldn't get burgers though, but.
Speaker 5: No, that you know, sitting up there the towns and then I would come down here I think at the time. Uh, Derek Coleman had a restaurant, Sweet Georgia Brown's that was open downtown Detroit. One more.
Speaker 2: That was one more.
Speaker 5: See, that's why I don't hang out with certain friends right there, because I heard what he said over there. No, that was not my favorite restaurant, the Strip Club Wings, No, that's not It was Jack's. I can't eat in that atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six pieces of magic City right now?
Speaker 5: Right now, Oh, ship security, get this guy out of here.
Speaker 2: Your favorite Detroit memory as a Piston.
Speaker 6: Wows so many on off the court.
Speaker 1: Tell us one of each.
Speaker 5: On the court or dealing with basketball, I would say the parade that was cracking. It was over two million people that showed us.
Speaker 2: Well, really, that's dope.
Speaker 5: It was people hanging out of office buildings, hanging off.
Speaker 1: Of parking came downtown for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were Jefferson Avenue came down there, and man, that was.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 5: That's that's what you wish for. That's that's nostalgic. That's what you wish for. You know when when weird little kids and you on a court and you know, you're like, oh, three two and this is for the championship, and they passed the ball and so and so and with you talking, that's about five seconds right there. And then you like one and you put the shot up and if you miss it, oh.
Speaker 1: He gets found.
Speaker 5: They gotta do it again. But if you hit it, you like they wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: That's what that felt like.
Speaker 5: I thought. I thought it was a great feeling when when in three City Titles when I was in high school, that parade.
Speaker 1: Nothing like it.
Speaker 5: To see them out there hanging out there showing us love, giving us love. Oh my gosh, bro, I'm telling you that was. That was it, you know, And you know they had us in some fly ass whips because it is the city of Detroit, so it's like, you know, they had us in the courfets and all that ship. So you know, we just waving real residential type, you know. But but it was it was lovely man, you know I got that. I got that film somewhere on an old school you'll remember the old school VHA quarters. Yeah, I got that somewhere. But man, it's wow. It was exhilarating. It was exhilarating. I can't lie, you know. And then going up there on the stage and then just seeing that massive crowd. You knows we love y'all. It's like it brings you to tears.
Speaker 2: Bro, I love it.
Speaker 4: With the Pistons in the playoffs right now and everything they got going on, what message would you send to the Pistons and the Pistons stands right now.
Speaker 5: Stay with him. Stay with him, y'all been with him for this long. Stay with him. The young fellas they you know, they getting it together. They back in it in the fight. Stay with him. Believe in them once they believe in themselves to be able to like, look, this one threshold that we face this year, win or lose. Our goal is to get to that next threshold. So now, okay, playoffs is nothing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: We made the playoffs last year, last couple of years. So now we gotta get out this first round. That's our goal. Get out of first round. So guys just got to keep fighting. It's gonna be a bitch. It's going to scrap.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know you're gonna feel like the rest is against you everything, but hey, you gotta go out there and do it no matter what. And you got the city behind you. Now. You know what I'm saying. It's been so long since since the fans felt this feeling like, oh you gotta you gotta eat that energy up. You know what I'm saying. When you in the building, I know it's gonna be crazy tomorrow. You know, y'all know Mason's gonna come with the whole Detroit basketball everything, the firewords, smoke, all that shit is yo. The atmosphere is going to be there. They just gotta thrive off of it.
Speaker 2: She Man, We want to thank you. I appreciate you, Bro, We love you. Thank you for what you've done to the game, for the city of Detroit and spending some time with us.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Give it up for Rashee Wallace.
Speaker 5: Man. Appreciate y'all, Love you all, man.
Speaker 1: I love you all again.
Speaker 2: Thank you the StockX for having us out. It's been a joy. We can't wait to come back. Thank you guys for coming out. We'll be around a little bit for a meet and greet and then we got to dip off and smoke a little bit. But man, enjoy yourself, Thank you guys, and have a good one. Well that was the Chapelle ship, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeahs a pleasure for me to have the Great Charlie Murphy rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Say come on, God, damn it.
Speaker 1: M hm m hm m hm hm