Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins, and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, the draft is fast approaching and we are knocking out yet another prospect profile on a potential first round pick.
Speaker 2: As we look at tight end.
Speaker 1: Tyler Warren, the apple of my eye in this year's draft class, and with roster depth rounding into form throughout free agency, I wanted to look ahead to training camp at some of the potentially intriguing battles we might see come the month of August. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Off the top, very happy retirement, congratulations to twelve year veteran one of the best tackles of the last decade, to Ron Armstead who called it a career on Saturday Night. So he hands the reins officially to Patrick at left tackle, and I will be doing some work on his tape from last season, providing you guys a breakdown. Hopefully we'll have that in video form on HQ as well, and maybe even try to get the Big fellow on the show here and talk to him a little bit. So that's first off the top here, but what I wanted to look at with Paul sliding into the left tackle position and essentially having four of the five offensive line spots pretty much spoken for as of today on April the seventh, I thought it would be fun to look at some of the potential camp battles we might see with what the roster currently looks like. And you know, the first thing I learned in the NFL, or the first thing that was really drilled into my head from you know, a football perspective, was that everything is a competition every single day. And the moment you go into training camp thinking you have a concrete idea of what your lineup and rotations will look like come the second Sunday in September, when you kick it off for real, that's when you permeate an environment that focuses on the wrong things. Off the top of the head, the best example of this that I can pinpoint to the league right now is when the Bills spent a first round pick on kyer Elum back in twenty twenty two. And I'll never forget the content around him with the Bills when he requested the playbook on the flight to Buffalo after draft night, and it was like, Oh, this guy's going to be a great study, which obviously he went that high because of athletic ability.
Speaker 2: How could it go wrong? Right?
Speaker 1: That's where we always kind of take the cheese on prospects and players is if they're smart and in their playbook and care about the right things and their athletes, they should work. But they don't always work out that way. In that same draft class, they took Christian Benford one hundred and sixty two picks later in the sixth round. The first round draft pick didn't make it out of his third year in Buffalo before getting cut. And that sixth round pick just got a new contract paying him roughly twenty million bucks per year. And that's what makes this fun league, right, all the unknown that shrouded around the league. Every single year, every single team, every single position group has surprises that we did not forecast going into that season. And another reason I detest the concept that you have to land ins within your first couple of picks.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong, it's obviously very important.
Speaker 1: Or rather, I suppose the best way to frame it is that you can only possibly do it with your first couple of draft picks. It drives me crazy because we see impact players enter this league in every single round and beyond the draft every single year. But that's a separate argument for another day. Now, every coach, every regime, every single person holding a high ranking position in this league will have things they can improve upon, right, That's true for even the best players in the NFL, and experience is typically the only way for that to crystallize. For coaches, for instance, especially first time head coaches. I think in recent years, you know, in pursuit of star talent, the Dolphins not only had to take some sacrifices in certain areas of depth, which really, if you go back the last every year of the McDaniel era has pretty much gone by the boards because of one position group's complete and ability to stay healthy. And you can pretty much attach to two of those three years. But even back in twenty two, it was the cornerbacks, right, remember when we were playing you know, guys that were signed to be special teams aces like Keon Crossing and Justin Bethel as like starters, like, it was just so thin there. And then in twenty three it was the edge. Last year it was the edge again, and then the quarterback again, so you've essentially had that happen each of the last three years. And while you might say that type of attrition is pretty much just unfair in any sense, the reality is that it's happened three years in a row, and so maybe lacking depth in certain areas, but also it doesn't naturally foster an environment of competition.
Speaker 2: That's not to say they didn't compete.
Speaker 1: I would never, you know, question the efforts of these you know, professional athletes, at least, you know, not uniformly, Like there's obviously certain individuals that you know, need that. But we kind of knew the starter at every single position going into last year, right like where was the real mystery one of the one of the two guard spots after we learned that the Isaiah Winn was going to be down for a while, the tight end two battle between Smyth and Hill. I mean, that's just about it outside of rotational work, and the tight end two job is rotational work. Now, I think we'll look at this camp with competitions at safety, defensive tackle, one of the two guard spots, and I guess wide receiver three, And of course the draft will reshape that. But I feel pretty good about those competitions with how the roster shakes out at the moment. All of this is a preamble to say, to give you a disclaimer. Obviously, not every spot is going to come down to camp performance. You know who the quarterback is, you know who the top two receivers are. You've got sixty percent of a proven offensive line, eighty percent of what you is going to be out there opening day. One of the best defensive tackles, and Zach Seeler cornerbacks, and Jalen Ramsey, Mike Backers and Jordan Brooks. It's good to have known quantities, but I also think it's good to pit two good players against each other or three or four at a couple of positions and say let the best man win and let's be You know, I mentioned this in a podcast recently, Like that type of environment where you compete for your job, winds up giving you applicable reps when you need to compete on the field on Sundays and with the draft still to come, you know, ten picks and I'm I'm kind of a big believer in the idea of trying to just accumulate more picks, like trade back and acquire more and get yourself fourteen picks and allow yourself to bat four hundred and find six contributors, cause you know what that would do to this roster. I digress, different story for a different day, and we'll talk about different draft outcomes here in the coming weeks. But you know the last time the Dolphins had a very successful draft classes when they had a bunch of byates at the Apple and you factor in those picks udfas and almost certainly you know a couple of more veteran acquisitions between now and the end of July, like Jack Jones just got released. I know he's been a knucklehead in two places he's been, but he's a really good football player.
Speaker 2: We need a quarterback.
Speaker 1: I would kick the tires and that possibly, I thought we could assess where some of those battles could occur. And I had written that we were going to operate under the assumption that toront will not be back, but he gave us that news on Saturday. So updating that here, Patrick Paul's left tackle, and with that in mind, we have eighty percent of the offensive line ready to roll with Austin Brew, James Daniels at one of the two guard spots, and then Pat Paul we covered two a Reek wattle at John new Smith In there. I don't think there's a ton of mystery about the eight Chan and Wright duo and how Alexander Madison factors into that, which really only leaves us with three spots that I find worthy of discussion in the segment, And quite frankly, I'm inclined to lop off one of the three, and in fact, I'm gonna do that because it's the same spot I talked about last year with tight end two, which to me is Pharaoh Brown versus Julian Hill for that you know, y reps, and I don't think it's much of a battle, if I'm being totally honest with you, guys, receiver rolls beyond reak and waddle, and then the fifth piece of the offensive line. Who's that other guard and who mans the third and fourth spots and what roles and what groupings and what personnel packages. You could probably add swing interior offensive line and swing tackle here. I think Keon Smith probably has his hand in both of those pies. But even then, you know, again, tight end two and why position work, I don't think it's worth getting that far into the weeds prior to the draft. This is a more of a you know, fostering competition and who could be in line to surprise a training camp type of segment. So my first one here might even be a bit of a stretch. But the receiver spot, we know that Nick Westbrook Akinne is more than just an insert blocker. He's arguably the best blocking receiver in the NFL. Who expands what you know about receivers, excuse me, in the run blocking game in the in the running game in the NFL. Like remember those old infomercials, forget everything you know about I don't know vacuum cleaners. Okay, cool, So forget everything you know about what you can ask receivers to do in the running game. When it comes to Nick Westbrook Akine. Now with Malik Washington, I would say the same applies in terms of the want to but and the tact I suppose that he plays with. But the difference there is six two two ten versus five eight one ninety. I legit could see NWI getting reps that you would call for twelve personnel but actually having eleven personnel on the field, like they match with their nickel defense, and you get what you want because they don't know that one of those three receivers is going to jet motion wrap the edge and seal that edge against your undersized box defender or one hundred and seventy five pound nickel cornerback that you brought into the field because we showed you three receivers. Now we're gonna go ahead and block that guy and seal him for a twelve yard Devon h Chen touchdown run on the red zone. That and his ability to make contested catches, it's not it's not like a you know, calling card to his game.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say, but he can do it.
Speaker 1: And just that size and tight quarters alone with his ability to kind of, you know, create separation through his route running, it makes him seem like an obvious plug and play red zone threat, one that might even be able to give ten and seventeen a breather here and there. And we know that, you know, McDaniel's not at all shy about doing that, right, We saw Trent Sherfield, River Craycraft, Cedric Wilson, all these guys, even Chase Claypool and Robbie chosen to a certain extent getting reps down in high and mid red zone and low red zone two for that matter, while ten and seventeen got their breathers a lot of the time on those rundowns inside the red zone. Red zone rundown reps that's a freaking mouthful. So Westbrook is more of a vertical threat to than the leak. So he's got two pretty big ends of the spectrum there in this potential competition in my opinion. But I think Malik is a better screen player and with the football in his hands after the catch and as a potential ball carrier. So jet motion Nwi on one play and he's your lead blocker, Jet motion Malik Washington and give him the football. He's also very sure handed and a true student of the game that absorbed the offense last year and saw him go, you know, kind of break out, not breakout, but like show that he could play in this league, in this offense down the stretch right, and he's got better as he went along, And that year of experience within the offense I think is an advantage on Nwi, who is no slouch when it comes to being a student of the game. So I think he'll get it down as quick as anybody, But I'm just acknowledging that Malik does have the edge in terms of.
Speaker 2: He was here last year.
Speaker 1: Of course, the entire room is fighting for playing time, but I think that based off resume and projecting forward, those would be the front runners, with Westbrook Akine holding the edge for a more prominent role. But ultimately both players should have plenty of reps, especially with Malik in the kicking game here is that Westbrook Akine takes it, but Malik makes it tough on him, pushes him, and makes the entire room better. In fact, I think the real battle here might be more between Malik and D. S. Gridge because we saw d kind of flash some some things here and there in that kind of you know, screen game potential ball carrier, tougher than you know, plays bigger than the size type of role the Malik plays like D. S. Gridge kind of shows you some stuff in that in that role as well. But I think all three of those guys feature pretty cool supplementary skills to wreak and waddle, and as of today, you know, before the draft, that would be my top five going into the season. Reek Wattle, Nwy, Malik Washington, and D. S. Gridge at the guard spot. I'd be surprised if they're done adding there. So there's a chance we you know, monkey wrench, you know, get a monkey wrench thrown too this entire thing. In fact, i'd say better than a chance, I'd say it's likely. But since it's been quiet for a couple of weeks, you know, what better time to assess where we are before going into the draft. So Larry Boram played a little bit of gard in Chicago, primarily tackle. Same story in college, although there was more guard in colleges than there was as a pro. But I think the guard stuff with the Bears, in particular the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Tape against the Bills. I care if it was two or three. I think it was twenty three.
Speaker 1: When he played the entire game at left guard, was by far the best thing that I watched, and I watched probably six of his games, especially the movement that he offers from that position and the ability to mash down hill. There are reps with duo and combination blocks where he you know, kind of shoulders to shoulder hip to hips next to the center and can move people off the football in short yardage and also a very quick open the gate step and then cross over step and get into space and trying to start square up blocks outside the numbers down the field. With Liam, look the five position of flexibility, I think is what's attractive there. And he's tough and durable. I always talk about the end of that twenty three season, he was, you know, doing everything he could to play through some some pretty serious stuff. So which that's a trait you look for in any player obviously, but your swing guys, they have to be durable, right, That's what that was a problem with Like Kendall Lamb, for instance, who I thought was as good of a swing tackles there was in the league over the last couple of years, but he got hurt a lot. If he played a few reps or if he was in practice, like there was a possibility he could get injured, and that all of a sudden opens you up to Pandora's box of like practice, squad call ups, street free agent signings, and you wind up starting those guys in a must win game, you know, in December, and look what happens, Like your quarterback is under drest the entire game, So.
Speaker 2: You need durability out of those guys.
Speaker 1: And that's why I've always thought, like Liam as a seventh or eighth makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Then you higher than that. Maybe you know it's you're pushing it a bit.
Speaker 1: But I the thing that puzzles me the most, and not even the most, because like what I just said, I do believe in terms of like if Liam mikenbergs your eighth offensive lineman, then you're you're doing pretty good up there. But the thing that does kind of confuse me is is the scheme fit or lack thereof. I don't think it's ever been a fit for what Liam does well. There have been flashes, albeit brief, and those flashes are when he settles in a left guard position or right guard position and isn't bouncing around. But you know, at this point, like when he is in that seventh or eighth offensive line role, that means you're probably gonna have to insert at different spots throughout the course of the season, and when you lose that momentum and all of a sudden, we get those those reps where you get the big losses. And that's what I think it is about Liam with the reputation, is like the losses that get put on tape are so bad and so glaring that it really stands out among the fans. But the scheme fit and then the durability and consistency at one position, like it's kind of tough to get that in the role that I think he's best suited for. And then the rest of the suitors are guys without real NFL reps, Right, Andrew Meyer didn't play as a rookie, Chase and Hines has been on the practice squad for a few years. Then you've got some tackles and Brandon Daniels, Jackson Carmen, Ryan Hayes, bid On Mattos. But the one that I'm really intrigued by is Keon Smith because he made a massive jump when I thought he was one of the first guys cut on the team, you know, his first year with the Dolphins. Then he comes back in the next season and has a really good camp and winds up making the team in twenty twenty three and winds up getting mop up duty. And then all those blowout games we had and looked really really good, especially on that run exclusive touchdown drive they had in Washington and twenty three, that drive that was Mike White led, but it was all runs against the Commanders. And then last camp, Keon gets cross training work playing at guard and practice and in the preseason. And while I thought that was what you'd expect from a position change from a young player in camp, a lot of some ups but a lot of downs, I think there's potentially something there for him there, and that injury was so early on in August that he's got a shot to be ready by training camp. So he's sort of the dark horse in the entire equation, both as a swing tackle and a potential swing interior guy or maybe even a long shot to start. But I won't get ahead of myself there. I would imagine there's you know, that's not the banking on decision with the entire thing. So my prediction for this one is that the other starting guard is not yet on the roster. All right, that's the offensive battles I'm looking at today, on April the seventh, let's go ahead and come back on the other side and break down the defense. Draft Time podcast brought to you by AutoNation. So I'm recording this episode on Sunday afternoon. I was able to go to the driving range this morning to hit golf balls and be outside for the first time really in like five days. And is there anything better in life than when you get over an ailment or like a virus and then you can start getting back to your normal life. I think maybe the ability to sleep, you know, congestion free is probably the top of that, like subgenre list. Maybe it's when you're holding in like having to go to the bathroom for a long time too, Like then you get a chance to you know, hit the toilet, Like maybe that's one of the best feelings in life. I don't know, what do you guys think. Let me know in the episode on Twitter, what you think is the best possible feeling I'm talking about here. But yeah, going out on the driving range hitting golf balls, gosh, it sure felt nice. We got Master's week coming up, got college college hoops Final four just happened, start of baseball, the Mariner still sucks, So everything getting back on track here in the world. So we talked about offensive camp battles of intrigue that could potentially happen in a few months if nothing else changes on the roster, which we have the draft, so it will change. So an entirely futile exercise here, But hey, do you want to just listen to five thousand different names that could possibly Day three draft picks. We'll get to the sleepers and the possible fits later on, but I just want to continue to give you guys dolphin centric content because not everybody wants to hear about Francisco Waxy, the running back out of Twu Lane, and the potential seventh round draft pick on every single episode. So defensive side of the football, now here's where I think you got a lot more juice and kind of where the idea behind this kind of was sparked. It was really the safety position that made me got thinking about this, and the part about this I really like, and not that it wasn't the case last year, but I can really see the personnel fitting a vision of Anthony Weaver. I felt a lot of the additions made here would speak to what made this defense ecel under coach Weave. And while defense is even more rotation, matchup and role based and than the offenses, I think you'll have a lot of fun potential battles bring all over the side of the ball. To list the three that I'm looking at here, today Jordan Brooks's running mate. In terms of off ball linebacker reps, I think there's four very capable players in that room. Now, who is the third cornerback that is the most up in the air one at the current moment, and then who are the safeties? And I think those last two ones you're not gonna be done seeing players add to those rooms either. The one that I'll leave for another day is you know, like offensive line depth and tight end two depth that that type of stuff is the edge depth because we've got three pretty good, proven players that in that role, provided JP and Chubb can stay healthy for the first time in two years. Well, Chubb just missed the entire year because of previous year injury. And then Chop who was a very impressive rookie, and someone said I was like cheerleading him talking about his his sack he had against the Houston Texans and talking about how excited I was to see him in year two.
Speaker 2: Like, am I crazy?
Speaker 1: Is it weird to talk about like a rookie pass rusher having a great year and being a defensive player, Rookie of the Year candidate and being excited about his year two growth. I don't know anyway, then, so we've got a bunch of guys beyond those three players, right in Mo Kamara, Quentin Bell, Grayson Murphy. Like, I'm curious to see who shakes out playing time from that group, but I don't think it's worthy of this episode.
Speaker 2: So back to the linebackers.
Speaker 1: Jordan Brooks led the team and Snaps played last year on defense and was excellent in every phase of the game, especially as the year went along. I felt the defense kind of, you know, had a parallel incline to Brooks settling into the system and being the true traffic cop and green dot of this defense. And I think you can look at him as kind of the Rokwan Smith of the defense, and I you know, I'm not saying he's the same player, but in terms of Roquan gets to Baltimore and things just crystallized. I think jb Rather was a major target with that in mind last year and executed it brilliantly, and I think it's fair to expect that to be better in year two. And then I think you can see kind of the influence we talked about defensive tackle Snaps on the podcast on Friday. I think you kind of see the influence here of what the Ravens did by getting Roquan Smith and pairing him with Patrick Queen, and that you've seen the Dolphins go after this off ball linebacker position because prior to Jordan Brooks's arrival, you know, you had David Law and then you had like the kind of leftover Jordan or not Jordan Brooks. The Jerome Baker era was kind of you know, attached to a couple of different coaching changes, and then now you've really seen them invest in the position last year with Jordan Brooks, but also go out and get Anthony Walker to kind of, you know, be that third guy which ended up taking over David Long. You wind up getting Tyrrel Dotson, he gets the extension of the re upped contract, and then kJ Britt and Willie Gase like there's a real investment here akin to how the Ravens went after that same position when Weave was there. I think you see a lot of those same influences on this year's defense. So who is that guy that will earn the number two job? Because typically, you know in the NFL, you have two linebackers that rarely leave the field. The one never leaves the field, you hope that he's one hundred percent snap taker, and then a second guy who plays like ninety percent of the snaps, and then your third and fourth guys are typically forty fifty percent snap takers at best.
Speaker 2: So last year it was a committee as David.
Speaker 1: Long went from really good twenty twenty three season probably you know, upper echelon linebacker to a big reduction in performance for whatever reason. I know he was nicked up, so that probably had a lot to do with it. He winds up getting released, and luckily we claimed Tyreel Dotson, who provided stability when Anthony Walker did go down. And I think that Walker was much closer in terms of his play style to kJ Britt than he was David Long or Dodson for that matter, best on rundowns and a true enforcer in the middle. And that's what makes it all of this so much fun.
Speaker 2: I think you have three different styles.
Speaker 1: You know. Dotson is sort of a jack of all trades, perhaps a master of none, but sturdy in all areas. He's gotten better every year as a pro. When he filled in for Matt Mulano and Buffalo a couple of years back, they were like, I don't know if this defense can withstand this loss, and then all of a sudden, like Dodson was, Oh, he's pretty good. He did the job, he held up and didn't you know, take us out out of our defense. I think that he can, you know, kind of that here for us last year with Anthony Walker going down and David Long's release and then Willie gay is just so damn explosive with so much upside and flash and play potential. Dodson was too for what it's worth, team leading three picks last year after arriving like what around Halloween. I think he can be role specific, as we saw with the Chiefs kind of deploy him in various matchup based roles in that spy kind of, hey, go take care of seventeen, make sure he's not you know, and that's that's not like a complex role. But you have to be a certain athlete to do that. And we talked about Willie Gaye being ninety eight percent tile in his ten split vertical broad jump and all that, all the speed based metrics and then kJ is an absolute head knocker, right, really good key and diagnosed, doesn't take false steps, I think anytime you got to go heavy. You put kJ Britt in the field and say, hey, go knock out a full back or a pulling guard and free up Jordan Brooks or free up e fat to Mela Fon would get a free run on this running back. This will be one of the positions that I'm looking at pre snap for my checklist every single rep in training camp first to find out who the hell's out there, because I think there's all kinds of ways to match this room together. My prediction is that Dodson wins the number two jobs as the primary backer next to Brooks out of camp, but Gay's workload phases into that more and more as the year goes along, and by the time we get to the postseason and hopefully we're there, Willie Gays so sorry, linebacker next to Brooks, provided everybody's healthy. I think the one with the next most juice is the safety position. Right now, you basically have to me four guys that could probably be safety two or maybe safety three, and that's okay. I would like to see one more who's got a safety one safety two repertoire. I think that would be quite nice, But I think that those are littered throughout the draft. It's kind of funny how to me, like, our biggest needs right now are on the defensive side of the ball outside of the one of the two guard spots, but defensive tackles, safety, and cornerback to me or three of the deepest groups in the entire drafts. So funny how that works. But for me, it starts with if he here, you know when when healthy or healthy and availability removed if you take those things out of the equation, which you cannot. But he is an outlier from the group to me in terms of his play, production and tape have been different than the rest of the guys. It's been really good, just hasn't been out there that often. If you extrapolate his counting stats as advanced metrics, and then the thing, that thing I really care about, the actual tape for a full season, there's big time production there and to the point of shaping things to weaves vision. I mean, my goodness, the way you can walk this guy up to the last scrimmage and blitz the quarterback. He's one of the best blitzing defensive backs, albeit a minuscule sample size that there is in the NFL right now. The way he can be the rat in the hole, and he can come from depth and defend the run, the way he can hang out and zone and quarters and play robber and play half field and be a single high guy. The way he has range to play back in the post. It comes down to if he is healthy. If he's healthy, right, you know what I'm saying. He's a guy that you can basically try to exploit matchups on every single snap that he plays. Then you've got Ashton Davis who has been productive with one fifty career snaps. That's over five years. So like he's not been of every down player obviously, but eight picks, it's kind of insane on that few of snaps. Can he be that guy that's a mid round pick, part time player who gets a fresh start and blossoms here. I think he's best And really the only quality that I loved in his his tape evaluation was that post field safety work right now, so that pairs with what I think if he does best, So it makes sense to me, and that's what fascinates me here because I think the way I described that, that would be my starters if the season started tomorrow. But I think that Patrick McMorris has a skill set that we've could deploy a lot in the same sense that we just discussed with If he he's a sure tackler, and if he develops like I think he can, or like his ability would suggest that he can, he becomes one of the more valuable things a DC can have in modern football, a safety who can defend the run from depth. You know, I love that about his game, And speaking of that, Elijah Campbell has that to his game and coach has really made it a point to mention Elijah time and time again as guys to not sleep on. But with this group, it would not surprise me in the slightest if anybody was a starter, or if anybody was a sub package slash special teams contributor. There's all types of roles for all these guys. My prediction if he is the starter and his running mate will be drafted at the end of the month, maybe signed in free agency, with mc morris as the sub package player that gets playing time and Davis the guy off the bench and special team are in case of an injury, then our last one stays in that same position group the defensive backfield, and I don't think this one requires a ton of analysis, because this is the one that I would say is for sure. The answer is not on the roster I think would be my presumption there because the corners beyond Ramsey and Cohu, there's nothing proven on the roster. Camp Smith was a second round draft pick in twenty twenty two, and they've expressed a couple of times the need for him, like, hey, it's we gotta have you. It's time to get going here, you gotta get ready to play. I thought he was going to be an immediate hit for us with his draft profile, and injuries and his own ability have kind of not allowed that to happen so far. And because of that storm Duck had an opportunity and sees that and got playing time in Cam Smith's absence, beating up the previous UDFA camp Darling Ethan Bonner for those reps to the point of actually starting in the finale against the New York Jets. Between those three, you've got two udfas and a high draft pick, and I'll add two more udfas and Jason Matrie and Isaiah Johnson, and then of course you know whatever you can expect from Arty Burns. I think counting on any snaps from Arty Burns would be bad, you know, bad process because again hasn't played more than two hundred and eighty snap since twenty eighteen. But some of the tape is fun and exciting, but you gotta look at reality there. So those guys, I think matri and Johnson had great camps. I think Burns has some intrigue if he can ever stay on the field. But that's kind of what you're looking at. And it's a pretty deep cornerback class and there's a couple of guys in multiple rounds.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 1: We talked about Juday Barron, who could be a potential Day one inside outside cornerback for you. There's some quality free agents out there as well. So this one, this is why I don't want to spend too much time on it, because I think this is going to change pretty quickly. Here, we can revisit this on post draft and get into this cornerback spot further, because I would be shocked if it's the same thing in three weeks from now. All right, we can get into the draft here a little bit further after a quick break here and close up this episode with a prospect profile on the other side, back to the offensive side of the football. Tyler Warren is up next Draft Time podcast, brought to you by Auto Nation Draft Crush, Draft Crush. I wish I could describe how happy making those makes me for you guys. That's my intro into the Tyler Warren prospect profile Penn State tight end number forty four, and I want to start by just asking of you guys to pull up the USC tape from last year, and that's really all you have to watch to get to know this guy. The first three plays of the game, he goes and this is his true Swiss Army knife package here, offset alignment, fullback, wildcat, quarterback field slot. In the screen game, there's three entirely different positions and he's out here floating around them between every single play. He also makes an explosive contested catch. He has a big run, lumbering through defenders. You talk about a football player from the moment he was born with just natural absorption of contact, doesn't really waste a lot of his of movement in general, catches everything. I think draft fatigue is the only reason you're seeing some folks kind of cool on Warren here. I do not get it. He is my draft crush. He is a tremendous prospect. In this game, they throw him another screen in the fourth play of the game. The fifth play of the game is a slant to him from the same formation where the point man runs the underneath coverage off and then clear space for him. To say the offense ran through forty four would be an understatement for Penn State. I think you start with him though, in terms of his possible Miami Dolphins fit with short yardage, you want to fix one of the bigger issues you had, and what car wash attendants are telling coach McDaniel when he gets his car washed, the number of ways that Tyler Warren can win on those critical downs and the way he can create for others because of the potential personnel matching issues. I mean a former cornerback who is comfortable running the ball from the wildcat. He can sneak it from under center. They did that multiple times with him. He can lead block as a fullback, and while he not might not be alec ingold, it's his deployment that invites a cornerback or a safety onto the field in place of a linebacker, where then he can look like alec Ingold because there's thirty pounds they're giving to him on those reps. The first man almost never brings him down as a ballcarrier.
Speaker 2: And if you ever.
Speaker 1: Got worried about teams keying on him in the screen game in short yardage, remember all those screens that John new Smith turned into big plays last year, Well, you can replicate that on the other side of the formation. Where do you then focus take away both those guys and then you give free one on one vertical matchups to Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle. And then to add to that, he's very good and I won't go dominant, but he's a very good blocker off the edge in the run game. To help keep your outside zone menu fully available. This is all just the short yardage factor. As I write that, he takes a sneak on second and two for three yards in a first down. So on this rep he aligns as a wide tight end, motions across the formation, then comes back under center and sneaks the football. The very next play they run that angle scream we just talked about with John new Smith over two defenders for a fifteen yard game. The next play they throw in a little throwback screen where he fake pass sets and two rushers go flying by him, trying to put him on his on his butt as a pass rusher shows the quarterback his numbers, catches the ball and rumbles for twenty more yards, breaking another tackle. Like look, it might not be flashy, and he might not have ran a fast time, but put on the tape and watch the way this guy impacts tacklers, the yards that he makes, the way he gets to gliding when he opens up in the open field.
Speaker 2: You know, and don't we have enough flash on this football team? You want?
Speaker 1: Everyone talks about trenches like Tyler Warren is that guy. I think he's that you know what, play the damn.
Speaker 2: Drop that guy? Pal, trust me, you're that guy. And that only scratches the surface.
Speaker 1: In fact, we just heard or is reported by uh shoot, who's the guy that got in a fight with a rap She is a Jordan Schultz at Starbucks and Indie that only Tyler Warren only has one pre draft visit because everyone knows the intelligence, the football character, the skills like everything is clean and checks out. He is also on top of all that one of the he's gonna be in three years from now. Considered like the George Kittle of tight ends in terms of how he runs the ball in his hands, he might be the best eligible with the football in his hands in two or three years. Like it's special and while pans State ran their offense through him, I don't think you'd do that here given all your weapons, but it highlights the different things you can add and the tendency breakers you could unveil with him as a blocker.
Speaker 2: I want to say this off the top.
Speaker 1: I think he is plenty good today, But man, when I watched the tape, I came away thinking that we have not even begun to scratch the surface. To use that phrase twice, on what he could be high school quarterback three years of playing tight end. I think between the pad level, the lower body strength, the way he processes as a runner, I just think there's a beast waiting to be unleashed.
Speaker 2: Pardon the reme.
Speaker 1: I think at times he didn't always look convicted in his blocking assignment and could sometimes let the defender be the aggressor, whether it was letting him cross face on inside runs or getting around the corner because of a fake inside move Like this was the best the most common loss he had was some one over setting him upfield and crossing face and he wouldn't get him to his feet aligned. He could sometimes kind of like lunge at the rep and if he just took one more step and buried his shoulder through the contact and stood the hit up as he exploded out of that stance, I think he'd have a better strike zone hit rate and could get more weight behind those blocks and just win more of them. Now when he gets in space, I think there's a little less thinking and more playing freely, and that stuff comes a little more naturally to him. I think that he's going to be a force off the edge in the outside zone game, especially when how you can marry all those looks with passing concepts off of that. And then I get into the organ tape again and see this guy just clearing lane after lane. So there's like a progression I was just telling you, and I hope i'd saw I would see as a pro and it happened. His final year in college, at least a little bit. He exhibited growth from a game in October all the way to the conference championship game, which makes me even more bullish on his ability to take his blocking game to a different level. As a receiver. He's not gonna wow you with flash again, but the way he just gets to it, like there's an urgency at the line that pairs with his physicality and then the balance that he has up the stem to really drive guys off their landmark, alter their footwork, and cause confusion in the coverage in the back end, and then snap the route off right at the inflection point. Like he's so polished in that regard. He's not going to run vertical and fly past anybody, but we have plenty of that on our team. He can exploit the space that we have when you watch back at twenty twenty four and the pensiont for finding quick answers because of the coverage backing off. You know, we saw what John would do at that space, what Devon hen did at that space. Now put Tyler Warren out there instead of like Durham Spine through Julian Hill we have. You know, half of his production is him chipping at the landscrimmage, releasing into a vacant flat and then a defense that can't rally and tackle him. He would have that pretty much every damn snap if he was here, everything adds up to me. Twenty one of thirty two contested career catches forty percent slot, forty percent in line backfield, quarterback stuff. This year alone, he had nineteen mistackles forced had seven hundred yards after the catch. This season, they had game where they went through him, seventeen grabs versus USC, and games where he was an insert inline blocker. He averaged two point seven eight yards per route ran. That's like what Tyreek and Waddle average when they were going off in twenty twenty two, two point eight percent drop rate. With respect to rounding out the twenty twenty five roster and where we sit right now today, it might be a tad irresponsible to go tight end to pick thirteen. I get that reservation, but even that can't deter me from taking the best player for my program that would give me the best boost, the best improvement. I think Warren would click this offense together like the last piece in a one thousand piece jigsaw puzzle. He's a problem solver across the board. We have problems, He's a solution for so many of them. This is my top player in the draft of the Miami Dolphins we'll see if he makes it there. I doubt he does, but I just couldn't be higher on this prospect for this team right now. All right tomorrow rather Wednesday, on the podcast, We're gonna take a look at Patrick Paul's tape and I'm gonna breakdown every single play that he played as a pro so far and give you guys the report on that. We'll get to some more prospect profiles, more draft talk plenty to come here on the Draft Time Podcast. In the meantime, you all please be sure subscribe, rate review the show. Follow me on social at Winkfold NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ media availabilities, Draft time, free agent interviews, and much much more. Last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Fin's up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy, He's come and hold