Speaker 1: Welcome to Had the Money. I'm Joel and I am Matt.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking passive income plans, paying points and rewards RUG polls.
Speaker 1: That's right. And when you say reward rug pole, what we're referring to here are credit card rewards and so on that note, I think we'll get to talking about Robin hood Golds. That's actually one I'm excited about personally.
Speaker 2: Am I getting too extreme with the alliteration on Friday Flights?
Speaker 1: Man? No, okay, it's something for them to lash onto.
Speaker 2: J want another P followed by followed by P, Like I just I don't know why I'm obsessed with that sort of way of naming our Friday flight episode.
Speaker 1: It just flows, man. Before we get to the actual story, Zoe, let's pull one out for behavioral economist Daniel Connoman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, he passed at the age of ninety, which is.
Speaker 1: That was yesterday? Long life? Was it Thursday? Wednesday? Say yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think it's just yeah, pour one out because we talk about this regularly on the show, how personal finance is.
Speaker 1: It's not all about math.
Speaker 2: We know that we're just irrational creatures as human beings, and nobody highlighted that better than Daniel Conomy, and he basically kicked off a whole new field of research.
Speaker 1: Well you say, like you enter into that conversation with the assumption that we all know that, and the reason we know that is because of Daniel Conomy, right, Like, I feel like that that was one of his biggest contributions was the fact that, like, we think we're rational, we think we can be objective and look at all of the different facts, but no, in fact, we are subjective. It depends on our life experiences as to our behavior, right, Like we're not.
Speaker 2: In our emotions and all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, we take shortcuts, we take cues from other people, Like we just go with our gut sometimes as opposed to receiving all of the information that's available to us and making a perfectly rational decision.
Speaker 2: Gains aren't don't feel as powerful as losses do. And and all of these different.
Speaker 1: Things in sand dollar amounts, right, and all.
Speaker 2: These things that he was able to highlight that really inform I think at least some of what we talk about on the show, because there are some things where it's like, hey, this is math, or hey this is policy, this is how this works. Maybe you should consider taking advantage of this, or hey, the economic tide has swung a little bit, and actually there's things to consider over here. But there's also a lot to talk about on the behavior spectrum, and that truly, so much of that goes back to the discipline essentially that he founded.
Speaker 1: That's right. So, Daniel Conneman, thank you for all of your work. SBF, no, thank you for all that you've done. Did you see that his sentencing sentencing came through?
Speaker 2: I did, Yeah, twenty five years that. I can't tell if that's fair or not enough, but I think it's fair. He's one of the two. He did seem he had like a slap on the wrist, like five years in some community service.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't have been wrong. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, he was apologetic, and I think it seems like finally, finally true. It's for a long time he was like, what do you mean, I didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: It seems like he recognizes the harm that he caused to lots of people, and so I don't know any lesson that same at least he says he's acknowledging it. That's true. Does he feel that way? He's not locked away for seventy years, essentially for life.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like when I, you know, apologized to my parents growing up when I did something and really I just wanted to not be in trouble. May I have a feeling that might be what he's doing. But I'm glad to see white color crime doesn't get enough punishment in this country. And so and so what SBF did was terrible. It really impacted his thievery, essentially impacted the lives of millions of people, and he deserves to go away for a long time.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, it wrecks the crypto markets. And on that note, actually, next Wednesday, we're going to be speaking with Marco from Whiteboard Finance about bitcoin. Yeah, so you can look forward to that one. That'll be a fun combo.
Speaker 2: All right, but let's move on, mat, Let's get to the Friday flight as sampling of stories we found interesting this week.
Speaker 1: And inflation continues to.
Speaker 2: Kind of be a water cooler talk even though it's died down a lot and we're not experiencing like, oh crazy egg price is doubled in just two months, Nothing like that's happening.
Speaker 1: But although egg prices are up because well it's Easter weekend. That's true. Yeah, there's just all the demain hardy easter egg hunts.
Speaker 2: I know, my mom dropped off fifteen for us, which is really sweet of her, So we could.
Speaker 1: That four one k lo exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, I think especially for people in California, but really anywhere there's a Trader Joe's, people are saying, uh, oh, banana price has just went up. Trader Joe's they sell they're like one of the only stores that sells bananas and singles, and they're pricing went up the register, right, Yeah, well I think it's actually like, right as you're walking into the fruit fer style, yeah, and it's a great, great store, but now you want your banana, there's twenty three cents instead of nineteen cents. It was kind of like, in my mind, kind of like the Costco hot dog exactly that has remained at a dollar fifty and the bananas were nineteen cents for twenty years, and so people are like, you know, uh, I don't think they're revolting, but they're a little concerned at least, and I understand that. But obviously bananas are still incredibly cheap, just like eggs, even if they go up in price twenty percent. It's one of those things where it's still fast and more affordable than a lot of other foods you could buy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully I can continue to enjoy my daily We both have a daily banana with our coffee and a bedtime banana lately. Now what are you talking about. It's probably like the last thing you want, right, it's like floadd with sugar.
Speaker 2: Well, now I need to tell them, sorry, too expensive.
Speaker 1: Well, so, you know, one of the reasons why historically they've been cheap is because of the fact that bananas are all clones of the same banana, one variety, right, yeah, yeah, so the Cavendish I think is the name of it. It's like, literally they're like stormtroopers. They're all it's like the exact same banana, unlike apples that's just been replicated over like decades, I guess. Which not to be an alarmist, but that's why some folks are saying that there could be like all of our bananas as we know it could get wiped out because they are literally all the same banana. And if there's a disease that hits Central South America where there's like hundreds thousands of acres of bananas. Then we basically would have to rebuild our bananas as we know it from scratch new banana infrastructure.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like literally, which is frightening, which is kind of crazy to think. So, and your bananas instead of being twenty three cents, they're like eighty two cent piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just saying that so that you that we all appreciate our bananas while we still have them.
Speaker 2: And I understand Trader Joe's needs is a company that needs to remain profitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's talk about passive income because your next side hustle choice it might be running a vending machine. The reason is because it's trendy passive income. It's the quest and vending machines seem to be the current answer for many hustlers out there, and there's been a rise and interest. This is according to the Wall Street Journal. There's a chance that it could be a profitable endeavor. Sure, but before you go out there and drop a bunch of money on whatever vending machine that you want to purchase, I guess.
Speaker 2: Those fancy robotic ones where they get get the soda and then they like tilt it sideway.
Speaker 1: Out that way, it doesn't get all carbonated and shook up. I think those things are like seven grand? Are they really? Yeah? Oh my gosh, no those It takes a lot of front cost or even just like a bubble gum machine before you do that. So much depends on the specifics because when you dig a little bit deeper, the average machine earns just over five hundred dollars a month. And I'm not going to say that that's not nothing, but it may not be this endless fountain of money like you were imagining it to be. Yeah, but then on top of that, that machine it needs to be restocked, it needs to be repaired. If it gets tagged, you got to show up and clean nothing clean, nothing off though it would be the worst. But again, five hundred dollars a month like that is just the average. It makes me think of with real estate investing, there is a wide spectrum of what it is that individuals are making, and like real estate, location is key. And so when you're talking about veny machines, the best machines they make the bulk of their returns the machines that are well placed. And if you are just getting into the game, it's going to take you a while to be able to snag contracts with the different business owners that would allow you to have that prime real estate. Agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you have to think about location in the It's not just like boom. I got a vending machine and it's just printing money. That's not how it works. I had a friend, It's not like a crypto farm.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I had a friend who had a photo photo booth and that was actually much better decision than a vending machine because she had it in a record store and it was one It was easier to maintain. There wasn't as much to go wrong with it. You didn't have to come by and restock every week or something like that. It was more like once a month putting in new film.
Speaker 1: Non perishables. Right. I like that.
Speaker 2: It was a much easier business to run. So I don't know, maybe for it, but it was in a high traffic area in a really cool part of town.
Speaker 1: That's another.
Speaker 2: It was a selling point. And so I think if you want to go to the vending machine route, I don't know, maybe a photo booth route is better. People are interested in that. They tap their credit card, pay five bucks and get a film strip, and maybe that's a more profitable way to go. I think this also isn't for everyone. Right, And interestingly enough, in this article, like the folks who have done well, they tend to pivot from just having vending machines and they want to become vending machine influenced.
Speaker 1: Where you see the footage of them and they got this bucket, this giant bucket of quarters and it's just like, oh my gosh, that so much money. Yeah, it's like that scene from the Goonies where he goes and he's like stealing all the money from the well. Still haven't seen it? What I know, you've never seen the Goonies. Now, dude, I need to Oh my gosh, it holds up. You need to go back and see that. I will, I will, so Okay.
Speaker 2: One of the guys they highlighted in this story, he has over five hundred thousand YouTube subscribers and he's basically teaching folks how to make money with vending machines. He's making a lot more creating content than he is selling urias, soda, empower rate and stuff like that. Right, And we talked back in episode three fifty three, which I think of as kind of one of our Cornerstone episodes, how passive income is a myth, and we love the idea of people having multiple sources of income and to be pursuing what we called in that episode leveraged income, where upfront effort pays off in more passive gains down the road. But the truth is it takes time and work to see those endeavors succeed. Just because vending machine investing is hot right now, it's making the headlines, or you're seeing more influencers on TikTok or Instagram or something pushing it, that doesn't mean it's a smart move for you. Makes me think mad of writing a book. And we have friends who have written books and they say they make between two thousand and five thousand dollars a month from perpetual sales of that book. But they have to keep pushing it, they have to keep marketing it, and it took a heck of a lot of work up front to write that book. So I think if you were to pick their brain and say how's that passive income coming along, they'd say, well, it's great that I put in a lot of hard work at the beginning and I'm reaping the rewards, but passive income.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's what I call it. That's true. Okay, So another investing trend that's tacking up is house flipping. So basically, obviously we've seen rising home prices. Well, that has led to an increased interest in flipping homes. And it's not that you can't make money flipping a home, Folks, clearly, clearly do this. I actually did this back in the day when photography was a little bit slower. What year was that that you twenty fifteen?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and you did decently well with that house flipping it.
Speaker 1: Ever, Yeah, Like, we entered into that thinking there's a chance we might move into it ourselves. And honestly, that's a strike against us because what that means is we were making some decisions based on us personally as opposed to thinking about it from a purely business standpoint. But even still, it was a deal and we were able to pounce on it, make it happen, knock it out within a short period of time. That being said, please be forewarned because the risks are much bigger when your timeline shrinks. If you are looking to flip a home, you got to know what you're doing, you got or maybe you've got to have a really good relationship with a contractor because you can lose money fairly easily. Transaction costs are certainly a big reason why not to mention the tax consequences of a shorter time period where you're hanging onto that. And honestly, timing is a big part of this as well, because I feel like, what do they say time, Time heals all wounds. Yeah, well, time can heal financial wounds, because the longer you're able to hold onto that property, you're gonna see appreciation if it's a long term investment. Probably where you're property where you're renting it out, you're gonna see rents typically increase.
Speaker 2: But just if you make a mistake, time lessens the severity that mistake.
Speaker 1: And so I think, whether it be vending machines or real estate, you still have to think through what is your unique advantage, Like there needs to be something, some sort of almost unfair advantage that you have that allows you to make a profit as opposed to you just having an interest in doing that. And so when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Or if you're a candy specialist, you're like, I know, mister goodbar and kat like the back of my hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like literally, like or connection with somebody within the snack industry, or like I'm thinking about real estate, Like maybe you are quite handy and you are incredibly patient, and you don't mind living in a construction zone. Guess what you are prime for an in house flip. Basically where you live in the property, renovate it, live there for at least two years, sell that thing without having to pay any capital gains on that. That's key.
Speaker 2: That's key because that's one of the best things with high transaction costs. If you're also paying tax on the profit, it's hard to make it work unless you really really know what you're doing and doing some of the work yourself. But if you do the live in flip route, you've got a little extra time on your side, and you're reducing or eliminating essentially the tax burden.
Speaker 1: Yea, even if you're like, well, no, I don't want to do that, Guys, I'm not very handy. Okay, Well, you need to be really good at project management, and you need to have a good network. You need to have a bunch of great contractors who you can call on and to manage that thing. All I'm saying is that they're need or reasonably priced. Yeah, you need to have some sort of unique advantage. And because if it was as easy as all the influencers are making it seem, whether we're talking about vending machines or real estate, everybody would be doing it. And guess what, more and more folks might be doing it, which means what it's harder to make a profit, which is going back to my premise. You still have to find some sort of unique proposition, like something unique that sets your services or your products apart. Everything's harder in redevrent then it seems on YouTube or TikTok yep. That's also I guess a lesson here. All right, let's continue talk about real estate for just a second. Matt.
Speaker 2: On that note, it's becoming more common for folks to pay discount points in order to reduce the mortgage rate that they're taking on when they're buying a home. Almost two thirds of buyers paid more upfront to reduce their interest rate, compared to only thirty percent of buyers in twenty twenty one, when we were in a climate of low rates. People are like, oh three percent, great, I don't feel the need to buy that ratedown anymore. That's pretty good. Yeah, and so that's a core in historic clothes. Why would I do that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Exactly that these are This is data from Freddy Matt. But we would say paying for discount points is typically a bad use of your money for multiple reasons. First, often you don't lower the rate enough to produce a great enough effect. So, oh cool, I'm saving forty dollars a month, but it costs me five thousand dollars to do that. Well, the math doesn't really add up on that front, right. And then second, most buyers don't stay at the home long enough to make the numbers work. So you buy the home, you pay down the rate, and then you move three or four years later. Well, there's a really good chance that was money that was ill spent, because it takes time for that discount for the you know, when you buy those points down, for that to actually pay off. Then third, even if you do stay in the home long enough, you might not hold onto the mortgage.
Speaker 1: Long enough to make it worth it.
Speaker 2: So even if you stay in the home for twenty years, but you were finance refinance when rates go down after something like four or five years. Well, and the projections are the rates are going to go down?
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 2: We've always said be careful of basing your choices on future hopes and dreams about what happens with the interest rates. But still, if interest rates do go down and you end up briefinancing, you're gonna wish you had saved that four or five six thousand dollars whatever it is that you used to pay down points because you didn't hold onto that mortgage long enough to make it worth it.
Speaker 1: That's true. I think the biggest key is always is to shop around with multiple lenders, right, and so what that means is to not just go with a mortgage lender that your agent recommends. So far, your agent even super helpful, and they're they're lining everything up for you. They're like, hey, I know a guy. Oh this is how this works. Oh I've got a lender for you to check out. Can you digitally sign these forms for me? Not so easy? Yeah, you don't have to do what they say. Keep that in mind. They could be the best, but they might not be. You might be able to get a rate that's lower even by like a quarter or a half a point, perhaps by shopping around, and then of course what you would want to do in that case, you just pocket what you would have paid in points instead. Because I think this is especially true man as folks are more transient, As folks are living in their homes for fewer and fewer years, it makes it seems like a holdover, like the paying down of points. It makes sense that this was something that folks did back in like like the eighty in the nineties, even when rates were sky high. Back then, rates were even higher than they are now. And again, there just seems to be this cultural shift that's taken place as folks are I think moving to where the opportunity oftentimes is yeah, not stay input. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: If you're going to do one of those two things, shopping around with multiple lenders is going to be far more powerful than paying points to reduce the mortgage amount, and I think it's well more than worthwhile. I would reach out to a credit union. I would also talk to like a local mortgage broker who can shop with a bunch of different banks on your behalf as well. I think those are better ways to save money instead of forking over more cash in order to reduce your payment amount by a little bit, and again it might be it might be worthwhile. It depends on the numbers and how long you plan on being that home. So I crunch the numbers, you're like, oh cool, if this five thousand dollars, if I'm going to make it back in lower payments over the course of eighteen months, twenty two months, then it might make sense. But for a lot of people, it's going to take a whole lot longer to make that money worth it. Last, but not least, Matt, there's I feel like there's been a lot more conversation about whether or not retire you should pay off their mortgage. The answer from a financial planning perspective has typically been yes, But I feel like on that common wisdom has been shifting to and keeping the mortgage around is offering more financial flexibility and even higher returns without even having to take on any additional risk. So when you don't even have to look at the market. That's been the thing I think over time, is like, well, can you earn more money in the market than by paying off your mortgage, Well, then invest instead. Well, if you can just save and beat the rate of your mortgage. That makes it even a much easier decision because.
Speaker 1: About a guaranteed return your money.
Speaker 2: Because when you're in your twilight years investing in the S and P five hundred, well, that comes with a whole lot of risk that you might not be willing to take on either. You might want the sure thing of mortgage payoff, But I would say keeping the mortgage around is actually the more conservative approach these days, and they're just downsides to being house rich and cash poor. Plus, you can always pay that mortgage off when or if savings rates decline. So, hey, savings rates go back to two percent, and you had kind of money bank in a high heeled savings account and your interest rates four percent, Well, okay, maybe now it makes make sense to start to pay off that mortgage more quickly. But for the time being, if you're making five percent and your mortgage is three and a half or four percent, I would just kind of hold steady and pay it off as agreed.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah. This this also seems like a holdover from yesteryear, where when we had mortgage rates that were crazy high. Like that was a part of the financial plan for retirees was to eliminate that house payment. But for all the folks out there who were retiring that have thirty year rates that they perhaps refinanced five years ago, things were crazy low. Yeah. Uh, that's something that if I were you, I'd be hanging on to for the rest of my life, maybe even longer. In degree. To have a mortgage that potentially outlive you while you're earning more in savings and certainly in the market, it sounds crazy. It's a no brainer. Yeah, But I think I think you're right.
Speaker 2: As long as that money that's sitting there in savings, you're not tempted to go and do other stuff with it. If you hold it in reserve as liquidity and as a financial backstop, I think that makes sense. All Right, We've got more to get to on this episode, including we gotta talk about credit card rewards.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 2: We really like credit card rewards, but some of the richest credit cards might be losing their luster. We'll talk about that and more right after this.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. We will talk about credit cards, and again I'm excited to talk about Robin hood gold. Baby. I'm bullish if that is your You've got all your investments under one Robin hood roof. Now, don't you No, No, we're jumping the gun a little bit. We're jump with the gun. But let's get to our ludicrous headline of the week. This is from go Banking Rates. Headline reads rich Dad Robert Kiyosaki reveals why the four one K is a horrible retirement plan. Yeah, let's go ahead and talk some more smack about Kiyosaki again, because in this article he gives a lot of ridiculous information like it it was such a straw man argument against the four win K. For instance, he says that most funds in a four to win K come with a two percent fee. What kind of fees or what kind of funds are you invested in? Because fees have come down precipitously. Some of our fearits out there they have zero or close to zero fees attached, like point zero three. Yeah, that's a far cry from two percent. My friend, I don't know what funds he's looking at. They must be incredibly exotic. It's so freaking expensive. He calls the employer match an illusion of additional income. And sure, he's right to point out investing timelines right, like there are certain amounts of time that you need to stick with an employer to maintain the ability to keep that match. But clearly the employer match enhances your ability to save for your future. One hundred percent return on your money if you have that perk, or at least fifty percent. Sometimes it's fifty per sure, but he's discounting it completely fidelity their research, their stats show that four to one K millionaires have increased by forty one percent year over year, and so in our opinion, we think the four one K, especially with an employer match, is still the number one retirement account that you should be considering.
Speaker 2: Mister Kiyosaki has I'm just going to use a reverential term there. Even we've he's been predicting, you know, the stock market crasher. He's basically said, oh, look it's things are about to hit the fan, and you should you should get out of the stock market and invest in in I think he would say real estate, maybe even precious metals. I'm not I'm not know hoose philosophy is. But every time he predicts a market crash, the market continues to rock it upwards. He has been consistently wrong on that front. And then to say that you know, all four four one k's are a bad investment when the vast majority of Americans the way they achieve millionaire status is through traditional retirement accounts is also just absurd. And uh, maybe he has preferred ways of investing and he's done just fine for himself, but to make it sound like four all one k's are bad for you and should be avoided completely is total nonsense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and every point that he gave to refute four one k's there was like the tiniest kernel of truth. Right, It's so inaccurate, And what I hate is that it can lead folks astray who don't know that. Oh no, that literally should be the very first thing that you do well.
Speaker 2: And they're like, oh, this dude sold five million books. Yeah, I should probably listen to him. He knows what he was talking to.
Speaker 1: Kyosaki is the original influencer. Yeah, think about it. He's making more money, more of his fortune being rich to poor dad as opposed to a renowned investor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I guess this just goes to show be careful who you follow, who you listen to, And is he writing about some things I've never even read the book? Matt I know a lot of people have listeners who I swear by that book.
Speaker 1: I used to recommend it. I don't really do that anymore.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Yeah, I believe it, and I'm sure that book, especially that was written in a different time, and I'm sure there's some good information in there for people, but I don't It's not on my bookshelf. I don't plan on reading any came soon, especially when he keeps giving just ridiculous advice like this. On that note, though, the Labor Department is attempting again to require financial advisors to be fiduciaries, which basically means that they're legally required to make decisions that are in your best interest. And you, as just an individual living in this society, going to seek financial help from someone, you might say, aren't they supposed to do that to help me make good decisions with my money, Like, don't they have to do what's in my best interest? And the answer is no, they don't. And for some reason, Matt, this one's become a political football.
Speaker 1: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Why you have to be on a blue or red team when it comes to wanting advisors to have to offer advice that is in the individual's best interest. You think we can all agree on that that the advisors shouldn't be able to steer you towards products and investments that enrich them at your expense. And it remains me seen if this next attempt at creating a fiduciary rule is going to be successful, but for the time being, if you decide to hire a financial advisor, make sure they hold themselves to the fiduciary standard themselves. So even though they're not required to make sure that this is an extra step they're taking. Xy Planning Network and Hello Nectarine are two of our favorite sites, and the only people listed on those sites are fiduciary sworn fiduciary. So make sure you're looking out for yourself when you enter into a relationship with an advisor. And maybe at some point it will be the law of the land that all advisors have to, you know, meet standard.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the rewards rug poll, because the best credit cards out there might become less rewarding really soon, so Visa and MasterCard and specifically the payment networks that they oversee they're swipe fees. They have been a significant expense for businesses for a long time. Well, an agreement was struck this week allowing retailers to charge more for accepting the different fancy credit cards out there that have the higher fees.
Speaker 2: By the way, I think this was or a legal fight that was around, had been around for twenty years. Imagine that kind of legal flog. Well, yeah, and that's the thing. There is an agreement, but it still has yet to be it's not like finalized. Yeah, there hasn't been like a resolution yet.
Speaker 1: So this is all. It seems like it's likely, but we'll see. But we're just wanting to highlight the fact that some of these upper crust credit cards that come with the best perks that they are, it looks like they're the ones that are being targeted essentially, any card with the Visa Infinites or the MasterCard World Elite branding on there, because every swipe of those top notch cards can cost a retailer fifty cents more with every transaction, which again let's take it back to the oh, yeah it is I was going to say, the vending machines sounds like nothing. You're like, oh, how are you gonna get rich just fifty cents at a time. Guess what It adds up really quick when you consider all the different transactions that are taking place via credit.
Speaker 2: Cards throughout the world, and the retailer just takes it on the chin. They don't know when you're making the swipe, well, which card are you using? And how much more is it costing me? They just feel it on the back hand.
Speaker 1: That's right. But now retailers do have the ability to charge you more if you want to use that card. They also have the ability to negotiate some of those some of those whipe fees. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, retailers, are they going to pass on the higher fees. I feel like retailers probably won't want to change the status quo because it feels like an aggressive sort of thing to do to say, wait, what kind of card are you using? Well, I'm gonna to charge you extra for that. As a small business owner, you might you run the risk of alienating your customers by taking that approach, even if that credit card costs you more.
Speaker 1: You run the risk of bait and switch. Yeah, and where you think is going to cost one and they're like, oh, actually it's gonna you know, it's gonna cost you this much more right?
Speaker 2: Even then, like, well, are customers going to accept the new regime of paying more to use their preferred card? I don't know that this, Like, even though this in principle is something that's agreement that's been hashed out, in reality, I don't know that businesses can actually enforce this without doing harm for themselves. So we'll keep an eye on this one. But I guess one takeaway is to make sure you have more than one card, Like if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is one of those Visa Infinite cards, combine that with a more basic card like the City Double Cash. I think that's a good way to proceed, because then you end up going to a retailer who does to ask which card you're using before you before you swipe or tap. Sure, and if it's gonna cost you more to use one over the other, well then you can decide whether it's worth it or not. But at least you have the option to use a card and to keep the price.
Speaker 1: Down Sure, or you can just dump that Double Cash card because you switch over to robin Hood Gold because they're offering three percent unlimited on all transactions. True, So this is a new fancy card that they're rolling out, the Gold Card. They're actually offering a literal ten caret Gold credit card to like the first I don't know how. It's a limited quantity of folks, five thousand, I think people. But if you if you get ten of your friends to sign up, you get one of these and it's legit gold and it's a working credit card, which is kind of sounds terrible because like, if your wallet wasn't already targeted, it's like, no, no, literally, I would just melt the credit card. You can't do much with a stolen wallet full of credit cards. But literally, there's one in there that's made out of freaking gold. I think I saw. You could even opt for the eleven hundred dollars bonus rather than the actual gold card, because that's what the card's worth. Oh my gosh, eleven hundred dollars. Like literally, it's made of gold. But so let's let's kind of talk. I want to provide a quick recap because in the past we used to not be too keen on robin Hood because they didn't offer retirement accounts. All they had were brokerage accounts. Once they started offering iras, both traditional and roths. My tune changed a little bit. It's like, oh cool. Then they started offering a match. No other brokerage out there has ever offered a match unless most your employed by them, right, unless it was your employer. Then they rolled out Robinhood Gold, where you pay a little bit every month, or you pay annually and they're gonna match you three percent on your IRA. So that's when I started to think, oh, all right, this is pretty interesting. Then earlier this year or into last year, they rolled out the hey, any money that you transfer over from a previous IRA, we will also match three percent on that entire amount. Basically, at that point, I was like, all right, this is almost too good to be true, Like what's going on here? Was in the mouth? I yeah, And now they reeled you in. No, they just they set the hook with this three percent cash back card. Because all of that, all of those more premium three percent offerings that they were offering. You have to be a Gold member, You got to pay the subscription. You got to pay either five dollars a month, which equals sixty bucks, which isn't terrible, or if you pay annually it's only fifty dollars and so the fact that there is literally no limit on the cash back that you can earn with this credit card. Dude, I've got to report back because you've got You've applied for it. Yeah, I applied, and I wanted to highlight too that three percent on the IRA match you have until the end of April, so you've got about thirty days left in order to make that happen. But uh, yeah, I haven't pulled the trigger yet and done all that, but yeah, I would ahead and officially joined Gold and I'll let you know how it goes. Man, Yeah, please do it, cause I'm all in. I'm like, holy, I truly see it just like credit card rewards, where it's like, Okay, this is a debt product. Why would you use this? Well, it's like, well, if you use it responsibly, there are benefits to be gained. And that's how I see the Robin Hood app It's like, oh, yeah, you might be tempted to trade individual stocks, but like we always say on the show, if you are for the other ninety five percent of your money fully invested within an IRA, within a total stock market index fund or an SP five hundred index fund, even up to five percent of messing with some single stocks. That's not something we hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three percent cash back. No annual fee on this card either, by the way, I mean grained you have to pay the fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's effectively an annual fee, but again there are other benefits, the other benefits you get with it, including like a five I think it's like five and a quarter that they're paying on something like that within their sayings as well. So so yeah, I feel like you're right.
Speaker 2: I'm don't have my retirement accounts with Robin Hood, but it's starting to look more appealing. It's definitely crossed my mind, and I was kind of, I guess, waiting for you to be the guinea pig test the waters.
Speaker 1: Let me know how it goes. Once all my money gets siphoned off, I'll come back. What's Vlad in my care with my hat in my hand.
Speaker 2: I's a fancy airplane with all of your money.
Speaker 1: No, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the first card that we know of to be especially no annual fee and offer three percent cash back, it's pretty sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, double cash that's been around forever and same thing with the Fidelic Fidelity, so it's like again which also has an investing tie in as well. But the fact that they're they're up in at to three percent, baby, that's yeah, it's attractive.
Speaker 2: This is going to create even more competition in the credit card space. I think of that is a good thing. Yeah, all right, let's get to our last story. Matt the CEO of the world's largest investment firm, Black Rock. His name is Larry Think. He has been going around this week expressing concern over what he calls a growing retirement crisis. Everything's got to be a crisis these days, right, Nothing is just a problem or an issue to be resolved. It's a crisis because if you don't call it a crisis, it doesn't get the eyeballs, doesn't get the attention. Well, with pensions being a thing of the past, with people living longer, plus changes that obviously need to happen to the Social Security program to secure its future, He's not wrong, Like, there is a growing problem. I'm not going to call a crisis. There is a growing retirement problem in the United States. But he's also using his rhetoric to launch a new product. Of course, of course, he's got something to right. So it's a target date fund product, no problem there, but with one marked difference, it shifts some of your retirement funds into an annuity as you approach retirement age. That provides then a more stable and predictable stream of income in retirement. But but it's not without cost.
Speaker 1: These the and.
Speaker 2: There the details are somewhat unknown. Matn I was kind of scouring Black Rocks site on this to figure out, well, how exactly does this look like? And the specifics are paltry right now, but it sure looks like from what we can tell, this probably isn't the best thing for most people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the key product here, or the key problem to this product that they're launching, is the fact that it is annuity based. They've got their pros and cons predictability. That's certainly a pro right, that predictability is nice, But the big problem is typically how expensive annuities are. The high annual fees the sales charges because it's an insurance product, those fees can be egregious. And then depending on how early that transition happens, how quickly or how soon you transition to annuities, your asset allocation Basically, it can have a real impact on your overall level of wealth because you're going to see less growth.
Speaker 2: And I think black Rock says that transition starts at age fifty five, which sounds a little early.
Speaker 1: I think they said too, like you can you can make that call whenever you want. So I think there might be some folks who are thinking, oh, well, I kind of want to retire early, so maybe I should pull the trigger and make that happen even sooner, which is actually kind of the opposite of what you need to be doing if you're looking at an early retirement. But our take is that he certainly diagnosed the problem correctly, right, Like we even agree with mister Fink that the US retirement age that it should rise certainly as life expectancy has. That's something we've talked. We've talked about a few weeks ago, and.
Speaker 2: I think he points out the Netherlands as being an example of doing this, that when the average lifespan goes up in that country, well so does the retirement age.
Speaker 1: And we may kind of track each and we have not touched our retirement age, like we talked about, why do you think so security is a mess? My gosh, that is why it makes sense to make these changes. But expensive annuities de risking your portfolio too early, we think that those are going to have harmful consequences as well. And I think that one of the things that they're going to be able to sell if assuming they launched this product, they're going to be able to sell a lot of it because there is an illusion of control. You've got this false sense of security thinking that everything is going to be all right, but nothing is perfectly predictable because maybe you've.
Speaker 2: Got you're gonna say, nothing's gonna be all right, it'll be off, It'll be fine, guys, it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: But like, let's just assume like you're assuming a certain cost of living and who knows what prices and things are going to be in the future. So even as retirees are clinging to this as this I don't know source of stability, like they're even that in and of itself is moving within the tides of what we're facing in our economy.
Speaker 2: Well, and that is kind of what social security is supposed to be for us, right, is that known quantity, that annuity Essentially that if especially the longer you wait, the more money you're gonna get every single month, and it's a known quantity that doesn't shift except for to go up as the cost of living with those cost of living adjustments. But in this case, you're who knows exactly what you're paying. I would be curious to know the details, and I'm waiting to see those released. How much are you paying for that added security? And is the price you pay too much for.
Speaker 1: What you're getting? Yeah, I'm I guarantee it this Not only are the price is gonna be too high, but the return is gonna be too low, So you're getting hit on both ends. And I feel like we can confidently not recommend it already. But honestly, I even have an issue with like target date funds because like, in my mind, that's sort of like the DII approach, because of, hey, okay, this will moderately d risk over time. But even though like I have a hard time swallowing the like, I think the average expense ratio on our target date fund is still half a percent. That's crazy, that's still that's still really thinking out.
Speaker 2: With Vanguard or and Fidelity has two different target date funds, by the way, one's expensive ones not if you're if you're with our low cost firms, we're talking about essentially point one percent. It's it's almost negligible.
Speaker 1: It's a lot smaller, but still point one is more than three times more than point zero three, which is infinitely more than completely free. And so I think there's there's just there are ways of doing that, even manually. And I know handling your finances and de risking over time and buying more into bonds as you age isn't for everyone, but I don't know. I would like to think by the time that we get to that point, after a lifetime of talking about this, and this is part of why we have the show to talk about it, by the time you are making some of these more nerve racking decisions, that you have the confidence to do something like that. Yeah, within your retirement years. But all right, that's gonna be it for this episode. Buddy. We hope everyone. Hey, happy Easter. We didn't even mention it's good Friday today, so yeah, we hope everyone out there has a good Easter. And we'll see you back here on Monday with a fresh set of listener questions for you, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, that's going to do it for this one until next time. Best friends are best friends out