Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Ginger Billy May ninth through the eleventh, then from White Famous, Catch Jay Farroh ME sixteenth and seventeenth, and don't miss Rocky Dan Davis ME twenty third and twenty fourth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway, dot com Comedy Off Bay.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones. Hi.
Speaker 3: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, grandpas and grandma's aunts and uncles, and all you crazy people in Big Blue Nation. It is the Thursday, May eighth edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. As always tex Sports Radio sponsored by the T J. Smith Low's called TJ and Shannon make them pay. He'll make them pay. We'll have our Clarks Puppishop phone number will be up and going all day today. That's eight five nine two, eight oh two two eighty seven. The Avision Glass Texas is my I guess my cell phone today. If you know what's number or not. If you don't have it, tough, I'm not giving it out. I got it, It's okay, No, it's all right, and then we'll have our whiskey thief call today. So listen, guys. Black smoke over the Vatican this morning. The cardinals have not elected a new pope, but there was white smoke over the iHeart Building today. Oh, because we have new hosts today. Well, the white smoke about the equipment was on fire or something. Ryan Levan, Drew Franklin, Shannon the Dude, Billy Relich, Mario Maitland. It takes five of us, four of us to replace Matt Jones, who understandably Drew is going to pass on the show today. He's got a long day today, flies back from Phoenix, Susie lands in Cincinnati, Mario's picking him up and then they're driving three hours to Owensborough tonight. Long day, so we kind of understand why he's, uh, load management, load management, taking a pass today.
Speaker 4: Pulling a sovereignty, sitting this one out to rest up for the next week.
Speaker 5: Go.
Speaker 4: We're at the Kentucky's Skin Cancer Center in Owensborough tomorrow I'll go and shout that out now so we all we all have a little bit of traveling to do coming up. I'm still I'm still fulfilling the effects from Phoenix. I need this coffee to kick in. And after your intro you seem like you've had plenty of coffee. When did you work on that smoke joke?
Speaker 3: Was that? Is that off the coff or was that on the drive over? Oh?
Speaker 4: No, that's show prep, okay, because short notice is when we figured this out here.
Speaker 3: My alarm goes off at seven fifteen to make sure Josiah's up and going. I checked my phone and Matt sent us a message at two thirty in the morning. Our time, guys, I need to pass on the show. It's gonna be a long day. I need to be fresh for Friday's remote in Owensboro. So from seven to fifteen on I've been up. I couldn't go back to sleep because all of a sudden, my mind's working on like what we're gonna talk about? There's nothing going on. Drew and Shannon, Billy, we're all gonna be there. What are we gonna talk about?
Speaker 4: I was up early because I wrote the morning post on KSR today. I was up a little before seven to do that. But I get text to my computer and you're the only person who don't doesn't come to my computer because they're green. So even though Matt had sent the message, I still do know this because I hadn't looked at my phone until close to nine am. So I trust that you did all of the show prep. I'm just hearing my usual seat, ready to react to whatever you brought for us.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got my list of topics already used the black smoke analogy. That's good though, that was really good. Now what so you know the Cardinals went to went into the Sistine Chapel. They're oh for one nothing elect no new pope elected.
Speaker 4: Yesterday I took this as good news. It means Pizza Ball is still alive. Still one night, I think it would just gone to the favorite. But the longer it goes, I think the better our got. Pizza Ball. It can pull this off.
Speaker 3: And Shann like I said yesterday, if he wins, he can't change his name. Get they changed their name to Pope John Paul and Pope Francis. He's got to eat Pope Pizza Bala, right, Well, he would right, I mean that's his you're telling me they actually changed their last name. Oh yeah, they've because they've they Francis wasn't really his name wasn't Francis correct, I'm pretty sure its papal name Pappal. Look at you. Wow, See this coffee's kicking in. I'm gonna be I have to no idea.
Speaker 2: I thought that Pope Francis was actually his name was Francis. But yeah, Pizza Bala I feel like Pope Pizza Bala would be Pizza bal is perfect. Is it a role they have to do that or is it like you have the option to, like, you know, have a radio name if you want to.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, we'll get into that maybe in the next segment. We have a little more research. We want to go through all of our knowledge. I want to go on my show prep list already in the first segment. You know, like a wrestling name or something. You know, Well, you mean those wrestling names aren't real. You mean his real name is not cash Flow, mister Spectacular, Reverend Ronnie. Those aren't real names.
Speaker 2: Well, some of them might be, but but no, not all of them.
Speaker 3: Your name's real.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, well, the first name is not the last The dude is actually not my my last name, believe it or not.
Speaker 3: Right, No, Uh, you know, there's not a lot going on, but I thought the one news topic that I guess we should maybe lead with is our boy. Aaron Torres did a post a podcast. Well hi, Billy, Yeah he doesn't. He's not always on this.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I forget No, I'm here headphones on. He's on a microphone. Good morning, Billy. How are you doing. I'm doing great. Ryan here looks great. Thank you.
Speaker 6: It must have been really tough for Matt and Drew to go play a TPC course in Arizona and go to the bet gala.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of sympathy for you guys.
Speaker 4: Warm out. Hey, I'm here, I'm I answered the bell. The last day off was in like September, So I'm just gonna keep showing up.
Speaker 6: And Ryan, you're right. Well, it's not strictly required. It is custom for a newly elected pope to choose a new papal.
Speaker 3: Name, but they do. They have to, not a requirement.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's a tradition. We're keeping Pizza Bala.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think Pizza Bala is his made up name. He's getting in front of this knowing he's gonna win.
Speaker 3: Uh, Billy, I know you and I both had a little fomo. The guys are playing golf out there, and we see him at the Big Bet Gala. Oh yeah, going on.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, when Matt brought me on the show to say I could play TPC Tates Creek with him while the guys went to Arizona, I had a little bit of fomo, a little bit of different.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong with TPC Creek. That's my best round. Yeah, but you got were looking great, especially Mario over there, all right, uh Aeron Torres. We's a friend of ours, friend of the show.
Speaker 4: Former KSR writer Aaron wrote a book, one in Fun Fun, one of the few books I've written read in the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: He had Jaden Quaintan's on his podcast and Jayden Quainton's had said something to Jack Pilgrim. How long ago do you say that to Jack Pilgrim was.
Speaker 4: Shortly after his commitment is Daring Drew Palouz. I believe he came on Drew Paluza too. See he's been doing he's been good at doing interviews since making the commitment.
Speaker 3: Well in the podcast, with Aaron Torres. He says, Look, I'm not only gonna be ready by September, I'm gonna be banging and pushing and shoving and doing my job. I'm gonna be ready to go by September, which means it's plenty of time before the practice starts. I mean, if that's the case, Drew, if that's fact I've said, I think Drew Jayden Quaints could be our best player, may not be the leading scorer, but could be the best player on the team next year. And if he's healthy when the season starts, look out.
Speaker 4: I don't know much about ACL injuries. I'm not a doctor. He injured it in February. That seems like a very optimistic timeline. I hope it's the case, and he's said a couple of times that's what he's shooting for, But that would be a pretty miraculous comeback to be at full contact, as he said he wants to do by September.
Speaker 3: Hopefully that's the case.
Speaker 4: And I don't he didn't clarify if it meant just kind of back on the court, running, practicing, or actually wants to play in the season opener. I think he told Jack a while back his goals the season opener. But if he can pull that off, that's an incredible recovery time coming back from a serious injury just at the end of last season.
Speaker 3: Billy, If that's the fact this team went from a good team to a Final four team with him healthy. If he's healthy the whole year, that's how good I think he is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this whole front court, it's been exciting to see the depth that they have. But if you're telling me Quaintance is going to be ready to go from the start of the year, not only does that make me more optimistic that they can win in the Champions Classic, but also the Louisville game as it's before the Champions Classic this year, so well.
Speaker 4: I think Louisville is going to try to move the game to August now because I think they put it in November because he was Acuil. Everybody's kind of saying mid December for Quaintance. I think they got to help their chances. I mean, they've lost fourteen out of sixteen. They got to go to some extreme measures here to try to win this game. So I think they moved it to November thinking Kentucky wouldn't have quaintance. An hour after that news comes out and Quentin says he's shooting for September. So I think Louisvill's gonna try to push it back to August and do anything they can to win this game.
Speaker 3: Now, you're right, acls Are. They're a funny animal. Some people do take eight ten months, but then I always go back. Well, Derek Anderson ripped his ACL in January. He was ready to go by the Final four, just a couple months later. It may be individual healing process. Maybe guys heal faster than others, But I'm telling you, when I saw him say that that very confident. In these comments to Aaron Torrez. I just think if you're able to put him on the floor with Brandon Garritson at the same time, the front court obviously very strong, then you got Aberdeen and Otega and low Ryn at you're starting five. I mean that's a team that can win a lot of get when the whole thing really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at first we thought it might even be se played before you see him, which is so be great to get him to that point. If he goes that early, that's a difference maker. Also, just like hearing from this guy. As you mentioned, we had him on UH when I was hosting Jack's had him one eleven or not eleven. Personnel sources say the interview with Torres, I really just enjoy hearing from this kid. Some of these guys, especially to be eighteen years old, they're not good at interviews. It's a one word answer. It's clear they don't want to be there. He's been a really fun interview, not just on our shows, but hearing him on others, and I just I like him a lot, not just what he will bring to the basketball court eventually, but that was a good interview with Torres yesterday, and.
Speaker 3: He has a lot to prove.
Speaker 6: Sorry to interrupt you, I saw you, but I was going to say, I mean, it kind of fell through with Kentucky when Cal left, and it was a place he wanted to be. So now he comes back and with the first round grade and the next NBA draft, I think he wants to prove people that he is deserving of that and wants to play well for Big Blue Nation.
Speaker 3: Do you think he would be the best player like I think he will be. I guess it may not.
Speaker 4: The leading score they always going to lock up our I think he's got the best player spot, especially if he even improved from last year. True, I think he's looking at potential definitely all SEC, but maybe All American season if he can continue or even take another step forward. But Quaintans is the biggest NBA talent. He's projected as a lottery pick right now, as long as he can prove that he's back to full health.
Speaker 3: One of my friends did tell me this past weekend he is he's fearful that one team is going to tell Otega, we're going to take you in the second round. You're working younger, you're going to get a guaranteed content. We're going to take you in the second round, and you're going to be have a guaranteed contract. Does that still concern you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I think he'd be crazy to take second round money with whatever UK will pay him. I don't know exactly what check UK will write, but I don't know that a second round probably bounce around G League and back to the NBA. That kind of set up. Why wouldn't you put that off a year and go make a at least a million or two at Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think the latest Bleach report mock draft. He's the last pick of the second round, of the last pick of the draft. And I think there's been some reporting on KSR that he would only go if he was guaranteed a first round spot.
Speaker 3: So and some guys are what they are, so they just go.
Speaker 4: If he comes back and improves his three point shot, that's go from second round to first round. Because he's got a lot of other good tools, it's the three point shot that hold him back. And if he has a whole summer working on that, can fix that little hitch in his jumper and shoot it a better clip. Next year, the NBA check gets a lot bigger. And you already made another year of a lot of money at Kentucky and you in your second season here.
Speaker 3: That's it, man, he can make himself a lot of money if he comes back and improves he's three point shot. He's got the rest of the game. And it seemed to me like when the season started last year, his shot was a little smoother, and as the season went on, that hitch got a little worse and a little worse and little worse. Is that you can feel the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'll be a priority this summer working on that. Because I mean getting to the basket. We saw what he can do there. What he have double figures in every game but two or something crazy. Yeah, yeah, ball handling could improve a little bit, but those are all things that are fixable. Some guys you just can't get bigger, you can't get quicker, you can't get stronger.
Speaker 3: They are what they are.
Speaker 4: But Otake always still has some stuff he can work with and really improve his game with another year in college.
Speaker 6: It'll be odd because my expectations were pretty low for him going into the year. I mean, coming from Oklahoma, I didn't expect him to be the guy that scores double figure through every game but two. So but so now I think I go into the season, if he's on the roster, is he is the best player on the team. So it's gonna be It's gonna be definitely a change of expectations for what we see from him.
Speaker 4: On the original point of Quaintons, if he comes back to full strength and can can match the potential that they've been saying he has since he's been Heck, he played last year at seventeen, which is crazy. But you know what they expect he can become. He will be a huge difference maker, and we already have so much depth agreed, it's almost like you don't need him. We'd love to have him for the Louisville game in the Champions Classic, but it's not the end of the world. It's not like he's the only option there. So if he does have to be a little more patient, that's fine. As long as he's able to play it at a high level at some point, he makes a big difference for Kentucky.
Speaker 3: We got a full house today, Drew Franklin, Shannon the dude, Billy r Sports and he's hair and we're gonna take your calls as well. Breaking news right before the show start. We got to get to that little disappointing breaking news. We'll get to that. And we're gonna have another one of our our drafts, Shannon. You know, like Matt had his draft, the All Caliperi team, then we did the All Tubby team. We're gonna have a different kind of draft, probably in the second hour today, Rick Patino's team. No, No, it's a little just kind of a little little because I think Matt still wants to do that with us. It's gonna be just a little bit of a different.
Speaker 2: You're gonna give us like a heads up. We got a propars draft. Well, maybe I'll tell you off the air to get our picks together.
Speaker 3: All right, we gotta get in the green room, our big board, our war room and get our boards together.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Eight five nine two two eight seven, Ryan Drew, Shannon, Billy Mario. It's a full house. Be right back. This is can take a sports radio. Welcome back, can take a sports radio. Ryan Drew, Shannon, Billy Mario, full house. This Matt's gonna take a day off. Arriving back in Kentucky late tonight and then we'll do our show in Owensboro tomorrow at the Kentucky's Skin Center skin Cancer Center.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And where's the where's the location? It seems like, Shannon, what you told me to go to the hotel tomorrow?
Speaker 2: The wrong dress on the pre show. So, Billy, what is the correct address?
Speaker 3: It's New Hartford Road, right, twenty nine fifteen, New Hartford Road.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: Seeing on his brother, there's an old Hartford Road, and obviously now there's a new Hartford Road there. We're at the location at New Hartford Road. Pre show will be there. Pre se'll be there. We're getting facials. Are you excited for that?
Speaker 7: Ryan?
Speaker 3: I've never had a facial. I don't even know what they do in a facial?
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 3: What do they do when you have a facial? Well, I don't want to spoil it, but I mean if any any of us have had one, I guarantee it's you. What do you mean by that, pampered baby?
Speaker 4: I have a nice skincare routine. I wear a nice moisturizer, sunscreen every day. But no, I've not had a facial.
Speaker 3: Oh, you've not had a facial. I've never had I haven't, Shannon, of you.
Speaker 2: Not a professional one. I think I've put on some of Sarah's like mask things that you can put on at night.
Speaker 3: Shannon's had a different facial eight five two to eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Talking about that, I'm talking about the uh you can put like a I don't know, it's like a piece of plastic thing that you put over like your your face that's got like all these is that what we're doing tomorrow? Moisture rising stuff. I think they're like scrubbing your face and they may put like.
Speaker 4: A screen, get some dead skin, put some serum's on there. Shannon and I think you were wearing a collagen mask compared I had one on last week. I'm not shot on my skincare routine.
Speaker 3: A college mask.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's what You've got to.
Speaker 4: Take care of your body, Ryan, at your temple, getting older, you got to make sure everything looks good. Sunscreen is very important. That's that's your My advice to everyone listening. Where your sunscreen?
Speaker 3: So were you and me and Matt are getting our facials during the pre show? Yes, I have. I have an eight forty five appointment.
Speaker 2: I didn't know we had appointments. Oh yeah, that's actually Central time. So well, Matt, Matt's not gonna make the time. I can tell you that because he's going to be coming.
Speaker 3: What from Mario's driving driving. Yeah, yeah, I don't think. What are you good? Are you doing yours during KSR?
Speaker 6: They Yeah, I'm gonna do it afterwards. We're gonna try to do Shannon's during the pre show.
Speaker 3: But I don't know how good that.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a train wreck, but we'll give it a try and see what happens.
Speaker 3: We'll see, so we'll be there tomorrow. I'll get our facials and try a new thing after we're sticking around for some barbecue, right. It is the festival, the Barbecue Festival in Owensburg.
Speaker 4: I don't think i've been in twenty years. I used to try to hit it every year. It probably went four or five times consecutively. I'm looking forward to our show, first facial and then hanging around a little bit and eating every piece of barbecue in town.
Speaker 3: I mean, we talk a lot about Hibilly Days and Pikeville Court Days in Mount Sterling. The Barbecue Festival owns Burro is right up there when it comes to people watching and things. You don't think eating way too much food, way too music, greasy, nasty food. Not nasty, but a bat on your stomach food.
Speaker 4: I won't call it the healthiest day I have. But you know when you were at Wesleyan, did you have some you all go tear up the barber Yes?
Speaker 3: Every year, Oh my goodness, Yes absolutely, We've been there many times. But I haven't been to the Barbecue Festival in probably thirty years. Well, it's time, so it's time to go back. Shannon. You're in for a tree if you guys, you got to stick around to go down and just kind of walk. But all the good people watching will be like in the evening, you know, that's when the people come out. Peopill come out. Uh, freaks out, freaks come out at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll I'll stick around for some barbecue. I'm down with that. I don't know that I'll be sticking out for the stick around for the freaks coming out, as you put.
Speaker 3: It later on in the night though. Eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. That's our Clars Pumping Shop phone number. We did get this on the a Vision Glass Tex machine because guy, I guess has my cell phone number. A lot of times ACL recovery depends on the severity of the tear and the health and shape of the person. Someone active in good physical health takes less time in most cases.
Speaker 2: Well maybe I know, like Ronald Acuna Junior drew for the Braves, he tore his ACL. I think it was a year ago, and I don't think he's coming back till July, so that would put it like fourteen months for him. But to come back in seven months, that's that's crazy. And you said, Derek, and you said Anderson came back in two months.
Speaker 3: Ryan, he the tear was in like January and he was ready to go when the Cats were playing in the final four. That's insane, it is unbelievable. And then Patino, you know, famously did not play him right. Well, I could say why he practiced that day full practice, but they did not play him in the game for fear of risking further injury and you know, damaging his NBA future.
Speaker 4: Uh, Shannon, you mentioned the Braves. Matt didn't let us talk about it. I know we lost last night, but we won the series over summer of eli. Actually some bad news. Hunter Green got hurt last night, won't We won't celebrate that. We don't like injuries. But since he wouldn't even let us say the results yesterday, we got to work in that. Outside of last night, it was a good series for Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually a four game series, so they got we got another one, got back board tonight, so I got ahead of myself in it's okay, we can make it three games to one. But yeah, the Reds have been banged up with this series. Their left field just broke his forearm in Game one and that was a I don't know if you saw that. That was crazy. But Matt Olsen for the Braves ended up with an inside the park home run. The left fielder, I think it was Callahan, I think is his name, broke his forum when he ran against the wall and just laid there on the ground in pain. The balls right next to him. Meanwhile, Matt Olson is just circling the bases. Some of the Reds fans weren't too happy about that, Ryan, But you know the play continues, right, just like in football or basketball. Right, it's a live ball.
Speaker 3: You keep going.
Speaker 4: We saw a losing record, though. It's not fun as a potential World Series team before the season began. It's not fun to be in third in the division.
Speaker 3: Well, going into last night, the Reds had lost five in a row, and then last night they won, but they lost Hunter maybe lost Hunter Green he left the game. I will point out my Saint Louis Cardinals have won five in a row. Okay, there we go, there we go, Oh, there we go. But the baseball season for that division, the Reds and the Cardinals are not doing well. Braves, Your braves are not doing well. Who's your team, Billy? The Rays?
Speaker 6: The Rays, and they're playing in that stupid minor league ballpark because the roof got torn off when they had that storm come, and it just doesn't feel like a real season. I don't know, it just feels like exhibition games.
Speaker 3: But the Rays a in trouble. There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Cardinals Reds are only three games back out of first, so they're not doing that bad. It's just a terrible division.
Speaker 3: Terrible division. Yeah, all right, eight five nine two eight two two eight seven. That's the Clark's pumpishot phone Numerlet's get Brian. He's been our first call. Get ready to go? So, Hello, Brian, how you doing?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 3: Are you Brian?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 5: Uh, I want to see what you guys. We're going to get into in Owensboro tonight.
Speaker 3: It's bed I'm gonna get into. I'm gonna get in my bed tonight. When I get there.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you guys were getting out somewhere.
Speaker 3: Uh, the young young Bucks may be getting out somewhere, but not me. I'm coming in, gonna tuck in and get a good night rest for the show tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Got you gotcha?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: Can I give you some suggestions of some spots to hit?
Speaker 3: Please again? It's my bad hit my bed.
Speaker 5: Well, i'm talking to the young guys.
Speaker 3: Let us here, let us hear it. Yeah, i'd love it.
Speaker 5: A check out a Brasher's Little Nashville. It's downtown, okay.
Speaker 3: Little Nashville, all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at the it's a cool little bar. And uh, the tavern.
Speaker 3: One couple spots Okay, appreciate it, Thank you, Brian, appreciate you. Phone call. Where did a young Ron Liman hang out?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: It was the Brass, the Brass, a saloon, Barnabys boiler room, Taylor's tavern. Those were the hotspots and bar like you were in college.
Speaker 4: You don't have to tell anything you don't want to tell. But I bet r young Ron Lemon when he wasn't still in bases and like to get after a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, Barnaby's was as big as any place in the Evansville, Ellensboro, Henderson area. People would travel over from Evansville to go to Barnaby's. They had it was crazy and the brass. Mmm, maybe we shouldn't have asked you eight five N two two eight seven. That's our phoneer if you want to call and get on board. Uh, we have one minute to the break. I don't want to have not enough time to take this call, so we'll get retired ref when we come back from from the break. We do want to say the UK graduation is this weekend.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 3: That details you a couple of things. Stay away from downtown unless you have to do not drive through downtown. But if you are coming up to the graduation, come to Chaos Bar and Grill. We get a lot of people with a lot of families to come out before or after the graduation. So it's an all day event. It's gonna be going on all weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it just completely takes over downtown. Congratulations everyone graduating. We're gonna have some I guess some of the basketball players maybe go.
Speaker 3: Through it and grad I'm sure they probably will.
Speaker 4: But we'll have pictures and all that on the website of any of the athletes that go through. But it's it's here for everyone graduating UK.
Speaker 3: Stay away from downtown. We're right back. This is COATEEIC Sports Radio, TJ Smith personal injury attorney call TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio present it by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back, Thank you Sports Radio. Ryan, Drew, Shannon, Billy Mario, the whole group's here. I got this on the Avision Glass text machine. This guy obviously has my cell phone. My father was an orthopedic surgeon in Louisville. He said Derek Anderson's injury had to be misdiagnosed. He told me at the time he has never heard of an athlete ready to compete in two months post surgery. And we'll never see another athlete again coming back from an acl ACL injury like that, So we can't count on that for the Jaden Quaintance return.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe Deren Anderson was just like a tiny tear.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm just trying to make sense of it. Coming back after two months after an ACL tear. That's at That sounds crazy And.
Speaker 3: Those stories are legendary. How they were in Indianapolis at the Final four and it was on the Sunday they beat on the Saturday, they played Arizona on Monday. Oh goodness, I can't remember who they played on Saturday and one Minnesota is that it? How do we not know this? It's my favorite season and team. Okay, this is the ninety seven team. Yeah, I don't know. I don't have it. I can't remember. Why are you covering the team? I was, Yeah, I was. That was thirty years ago. Yeah, I was eleven. That's why my memories. Somebody to look it up. And so they practiced on Sunday, a full practice. It was Minnesota. There we go Minnesota, and uh, Derek Anderson practiced on that Sunday in between the two games, full practice and was the old Derrick Anderson like practice, lights out. And then Patino still did not want to play him in the Monday championship game, although if you remember, he did let him go out and.
Speaker 4: Shoot two free throws, shot free that made it worse. I do remember that very well. My boy, he's in now, where's he been the whole time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I wish he was shooting the free throws that Nazi Mohammad shot that night, because Nazy was zero of six and they got beat by Arizona. Could have been the rare college three peat, could have been a five two seven. After Clarks publish out phone him all right, I had some breaking news Shannon, right before the show started today.
Speaker 2: Do you want the sounder or shoot.
Speaker 3: The TBT? Tournament announced that they are not going to be playing in Lexington this year. They will again be playing back in Louisville because the ticket sales went a lot more sold from the Louisville fans and they.
Speaker 4: Got four thousand. I mean, we still host the games of morel but this is the regional final. Regional final, they're still lexinging games. But Louisville won the contest. Those losers they care a lot more than any other team in this because they don't have any other tournament success lately. But we will be heading back to Louisville if it gets to.
Speaker 3: That point, but the first two games again would be here in Lexington.
Speaker 4: Horriman is three. I don't have a three games. I mean everything that's been promoted and sold, it's still memorial. But there was a contest just for the regional frontal whenever you just like last year, it was in Rop for the whole first few rounds.
Speaker 3: Then they had the one game in Louisville and they base it on total ticket sales.
Speaker 4: I want to say it was a race to four thousand sold.
Speaker 3: And Louisville got it. Louisville one. A little disappointing. Billy A little bit.
Speaker 6: But that means Kentucky will have a win in Freedom Hall and then in the KFC Young Center in a span of what a couple months, As long as Drew doesn't get nucker punched on his way out, I think it.
Speaker 3: Should be that's the main thing.
Speaker 2: We can. We wrap Drew and bubble wrap so he doesn't get punched again.
Speaker 3: I don't kidding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it hurt you too much, though you kind of know sold them pretty well on that pot.
Speaker 4: I can take a punch. I don't think they should have been allowed. It's not just me getting hit. I mean those losers were the biggest losers to ever lose in that game. I mean, on Waku's spinning on Nate Sustina fans winding everywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, they showed their true.
Speaker 4: Asses in a summer exhibition of guys were barely barely young enough to still play basketball. So I think they should have been banned. Of course, they sold more tickets because they suck at the actual game. That's why they're getting a host again. But I wish the tvt should have said, no, you showed your asses last year, and you're not allowed to host again. Reach it but I will go back and I will do the exact same thing I did last year. I will keep my l's down for two hours and they can bring it again.
Speaker 3: You know they It ended up being kind of a special win because you went, you beat Louisville on their home court, and.
Speaker 4: They were so excited. They were so excited that they were they talking so much, smack all the the you know, the crowd majority of Louisville fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's when you went on an opponent's home floor, it makes it a little special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had my run in with that weak minded human, but the spitting who spits?
Speaker 3: Who spits? Who spits?
Speaker 4: A grown man had a basketball game hawking a louis on his opponent. Because they can't handle losing. They should be good at losing, it's all they do. How have they not learned how to be gracious losers?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 3: Pope took the UK team with him all over there to watch and support the guys.
Speaker 4: Thank god they were up in a box. No telling what would have happened to them around all those losers, but they did win this contest. Congratulations on finally winning something. I can't wait to see you there next summer losers preach Drew. I'm wearing body armor.
Speaker 3: So it's it's it's set up. We're gonna happen again. Kentucky takes care of business here at Memorial again, wins those game. We're just gonna do it again. Beating Louisville is what we do the Louisville the lexing games are interrupt right.
Speaker 4: Memorial Okay, and I announced that twenty seconds ago Memorial Coliseum. Sorry, we got the Harrison Twins. They had the Harrison Twins, so we got Drown Liggins, Harrison Twins, Willie several more to come. I've heard a few rumors of who the why. I don't want to say it, just in case they have to bail. There's a lot of scheduling stuff, but I know who they've targeted and had conversations with. We're gonna be loaded again. But I'm glad the Twins are back. It was a lot of fun watching them be a part of it last year when they beat those losers in Freedom Hall.
Speaker 3: I hope Cstina's back too.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's he should be the number one pick if we can get him. He took it so much more well they all took it seriously. I don't want to minish the other guys, but he got so into it and he played really well. You know, he was on the Kentucky team that got robbed and didn't have a tournament, so I think Nate was treating that like his NCAA tournament.
Speaker 3: He was the best player on the TBT team.
Speaker 4: And Innis's little brother must bring him, bring him back. He was the other star of the family. We got Liggins with that lockdown d We'll go beat these losers again in Freedom Hall.
Speaker 3: So even though the news is a little disappointing, it still can make it just as sweet when you go and win again this year. Yeah, it'll happen. It'll happen. Marker callenders eight two two eight seven. Let's go to the phone lines. We got Greg coming up next. Go ahead, Greg.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, I thought i'd chip on on the JCLS. I've torn mine, My two daughters are torn theirs, and.
Speaker 5: There's not a coach that's ever going to play a player before.
Speaker 7: Six months is up.
Speaker 8: I mean, after two months you can jump around, walk and run, but you put Derek Anderson. Anderson in there at game speed, and he was going to ruin his knee and if he could have played, if he was recovered, Patina would have played him. But it's a six month deal and somebody can prove me wrong. But I don't think any players come out come back before six months.
Speaker 3: Was out all I appreciate great thanks for the phone call. Yeah, that's that. That kind of adds to the mystery of that Derek Anderson incident. I mean they were the best team and then with him they almost want it without him, So with him, you got to think they would have beat Arizona and Miles Simon and Mike Bibbie in that group.
Speaker 4: That is that the most famous UK injury that's cost him. I know there's been some some big ones, but is that that probably adds a title, a banner to the rafters.
Speaker 3: His injury doesn't happen because it happened in January. You know, when they were making their big run. Was it three when Keith Bogan's got hurt three? Yeah, right before that springed ankle he got in the Elite eight in the Sweet sixteen against Wisconsin. He tried to play against Marquette in the Elite eight.
Speaker 4: I still think we have a banner of Alex Poythers didn't hurt because Wisconsin doesn't, doesn't or we have someone to guard uh Sam Decker in that bunch. This is not a fun exercise.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the Newlands and Noel injury forwarded that season. But it wasn't the championship run or anything they were making at the time. They go to the tournament that year. Not in the n I T losing to Robert Morris, was it.
Speaker 6: PJ Washington had a thumb injury, played through it and missed all those free throws.
Speaker 4: Yes, PJ in the boot, that's what was at his most I haven't seen him, haven't seen him. We were getting I haven't seen him daily.
Speaker 3: Uh. But the PJ the hits a couple those free throws. They may went beat Kansas State and ed up in the final four. That's another final four. They could have had half of last year's roster, half of last year's roster. That's also Kurk Crisa absolutely, Jackson Robinson, what if he stays healthy the whole year. Last year you have Andrew Carr for that big stretch to change things. That's a fun game. Last year was probably the most injury prone where it happened to more than one guy. You know, you had it had three or four guys go go down. Major players go down. It hurts when you got one guy. But that team last year, man, they lost so many key pieces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean losing Robinson. You don't have him to tournament. That's one of the biggest. There's been other individual injuries, but I can't think of a team that just had as many across the board.
Speaker 3: Eight five, nine, two, two two eight ten. We got Paul up next, Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Paul, Yeah, on the ACL tear. If they had him doing hyperbaric oxygen treatments before and after surgery, he could very well be up on it and playing. It would increase the healing by probably four times.
Speaker 3: All right, did they have that kind of procedure in nineteen ninety seven, Yes, Okay, well maybe that's what they did.
Speaker 7: It's just a Yeah, it's a chamber that you go in one hundred percent oxygen that's compressed and it takes your body's natural healing ability times a thousand. But to get there, you'd have to do you know, twenty to forty treatments, two hour treatments, and you do them consecutively.
Speaker 3: All right, Greg a phone call. Appreciate that. I mean, they're the advances in medicine now, I'm sure has helped Jaden Quainton's get ready. Is his terror as bad as Derrick Cannerson's tear? I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I love that he's shooting for mid September for full contact, but I'm gonna I'm not gonna write that down in sharply that he will be a part of the team to start the year. That would be pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: He sees to believe it, Billy. He's been telling every that's the right attitude to have. It's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I'm sure that helps in the recovery process as well. If you have an optimistic mindset, then you're gonna do everything with one hundred and ten percent effort. Ryan, I'm surprised you were such an athlete. You didn't tear anything sliding into a base or never major injuries like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a fine tuned athlete, you know. I was, you know, the elite of the elite that don't get hurt like that. I did break my finger, like during my senior year of fall baseball. I'd missed the whole fall season because I broke a bone in my throwing hand and my coach made me run cross country. Are you on the cross country team? I was a Kentucky Wesleyan baseball player and cross country run.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, We've always known about these records you have in baseball, but I didn't know you were a two sports star.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My baseball coach who just turned eighty years old, we just went to see him Sunday. God bless him, Dinny Pots. He was also the cross country coach for a couple of years. If you got hurt during baseball season, guess where your butt into day running on the cross country team. Stay in shape, Solthough, like the handful of us running cross country.
Speaker 4: For one year, it sound like you didn't have a choice needed to keep you all condition, otherwise you would have been at brasses every night or whatever you wrote too.
Speaker 3: I think I ran in three meets and finished last or next to last, and all three of them so simply choke. Yeah, I was simply joking. You're so funny. Alright, two A tip over right back, Ryan Drew, Shannon Billy. This is connect Sports Radio. Welcome back, can Tekan Sports Radio. This nickelback it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is back on the first album when they were really popular.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a documentary on Netflix we talked about during the break about Nickelback. I think it came out maybe a year or so ago, and I just saw it just while you guys were off in Arizona. It's really really good because it talks about how they were so popular then people started hating them, and it talks about how it affected those guys. You know, they were they were as popular as anybody, and all of a sudden it became a real hot trendy thing to not like Nickelback.
Speaker 2: Well that's because they were writing songs like this that were actually good to songs like this, and that's when they started to get hated when they put out rock Star and they put out Photograph.
Speaker 3: But I mean, that's still a good Sorry, that's what I like.
Speaker 2: Let's see, when you're Nickelback and you appealed to the Rascal Flat fans. I think that's why they got hated on Ryan is right here.
Speaker 3: He can hear you. Rascal Flats, that's your other band. Yeah, yeah, I kind of falling off the Rascal Flats bandwagon because they called it quits. But I've always liked Nickelback. I never understood why they all that Nickelback eight that was going on for soul.
Speaker 2: You're saying that's a good documentary. I should go watch on Netflix.
Speaker 3: It's really good because they really get personal with the guys, how it affected them and their families. Their kids would go to school and other kids would make fun of their dads and Nickelback and stuff.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, it's really good.
Speaker 2: So it all started with Creed. Creed was really popular. They got this treatment first. Then it kind of spread over to Nickelback after that. But now Creed's cool again. Creed's cool with the TikTok crowd, the younger crowd, and I I think Nickelback's cool again, aren't they. Well yeah, I'll put it like this. We started playing Creed again on QMF and we didn't plan for years. But now we're back to playing Creed, but we're not playing Nickelback. So I don't know if that changed.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: Don't know if that says anything about either their popularity or our programming.
Speaker 3: You know, Nickelback, don't you be of course?
Speaker 6: And I don't know if it's people that just want free stuff. But when Shannon and I gave away Creed tickets, I mean, you would have thought we were given away free money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Beatles tickets or something that people, Yeah, knocking down people trying to get through the lines.
Speaker 4: Well, I was hoping to go see Creed this summer, but now the Three Doors Down, who was not their opener. I know if they're co headlining or before Creed, but he announced yesterday of cancer diagnosis and Three Doors Downs done touring, and I'm sure that will affect the the Creed concert up.
Speaker 3: Bad news for what's his name.
Speaker 2: Shannon brad Arnold on the nicest guys you get ever, but I've had a chance to interview him a couple of times. Really good guy, and really it's sad to see that come out stage stage four kidney cancer and they've shut down the hoteur well for Three Doors Down. I don't know if that see. I just assumed that they were going to cancel the entire tour with Creed, which meant Creed wasn't going to play Rupperina. But I haven't heard officially if they're going to cancel Creed's part of it and maybe pick up another opening band, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: There's like five or six bands I've read. Some have already been canceled, but there might they're hopeful maybe slide something in for three Doors Down as replacement.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but it just awesome news. Brad Arnold, there you go. Alice Blue Gown can open up for him.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, we play for sure. Yeah, we're gonna be playing the Virginia. We just announced that KSR is going to be coming to Summerset June the sixth at the Virginia, which is this really nice old theater, and we're gonna be playing there with the band that night.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll be hanging out for the entire day and night morning and uh and no, not a Winesboro, that's Summerset. Yeah, Summerset, Summerset on June sixth.
Speaker 3: Well, you played your new song earlier and when I didn't catch it, can you play it again? Next hour?
Speaker 2: Being to play it to set up this conversation we're having now, and you completely ignored it.
Speaker 3: So no, no, I have adhd I forgot that one. Speak of speaking of concerts, are real birds coming up in Lexington into this month right May thirty, first June first, oh, you're asking and you're telling, right, we have the parking spots available for sale over at Chaos Bar and Grill. So you all you gotta do is go to the Chaos Bar and Grill social media accounts. They've got the links there where you could buy a parking pass and we're not gonna let you just go in and park and walk over. You got to buy a pass to park and walk over. It's the best parking you're going to have. We got some good security out there, good security, Griff, we had Griff. We had the OVW wrestlers out there that one year.
Speaker 4: It's right, no offense of them. I thought Griff was a little more organized. His guy's shirt organized. Guys had shirts on, but that I had their security name on it. Both were great though well.
Speaker 2: Had spectacular and immaculate Joe Mack slapping people's cars because they weren't going the right way. But yeah, that is uh May thirty first, in June first, you did.
Speaker 3: So the parking is really good. That is good.
Speaker 4: I'm not just saying that as someone with Chaos Bar. I've attended every Railbird and the one over Red Mile. It was a very short walk and even just like leaving to go get lunch and a few drinks and get some air conditioning at Chaos Bar. Check on my car, you know, whatever you need to do, then head back over. It's very convenient, So.
Speaker 3: Go to the Chaos Bar social media accounts. There's a link there you can sign up by your pass. Before we take our top of the hour break, I do want to bring up there's a there's been a movement in Kentucky where they're trying to get a one year free transfer rule for high school athletes where you could transfer from one school to another free, not have to sit out a year. What's gonna be. It looks like KHSA and the people are gonna shoot it down. They're gonna stay kind of maintained with the rule they got. Now, if you transfer to school, you will be investigated if you can show proof of residents that you actually physically moved, or if your parents split up and you moved, or you know, there's some things you can do. But there was a movement guys to try to get a one year free transfer rule. Transfer anywhere you want for free and not be investigated or losing you have to sit out a year.
Speaker 4: You as the high school sports guy and the traditionalist. I'm sure you're glad they're not letting them move around.
Speaker 3: I am glad about that. I mean, I understand the world we live in and people are transferring, But if the family physically moves to that school district, I don't know what you can do. And it's happening all the time. Maybe for football and basketball, you know, I think you could transfer in tennis, golf, some of the minor sports and not ever get investigated. But you do it in football or basketball, you will get investigated by the KHSAA. You have to prove proof of residency in that school district.
Speaker 4: Was it Zion Harmon That seemed like he was at a different high school every other month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been some kids around here who've played for four different schools in five years or four years. So what do you think about it? I agree with you that I'm glad they're doing it well.
Speaker 6: It's no secret that private schools have an advantage over public schools because they recruit to their sports, right, right, do they still have to set out if a kid goes to a private school.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Okay, I think you go to a private school, you don't have to have that sit out rule. I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 6: Well, that doesn't seem fair for the public schools. So this would be a way to even the playing field a little bit. But are we incentivizing you just going to the school that gives you the best chance to win a championship? Do we need to be incentivizing that in high school?
Speaker 3: You know, because they're you know, Saint X and Trinity in Louisville, they get kids from Indiana. They recruit like, let's not act like they don't.
Speaker 6: So it's like, do you want the public schools to be able to get kids for maybe with the transfers without sitting out a year. It seems like it's plausible, but there's a lot of tradition that they'll have to get over. There's a lot of movement for it because the colleges now have it with a transfer portal, Right, you can go from school to school.
Speaker 3: And not have to sit out. Trying to try to translate that in Downe the high school though, but it looks like the KHSAA is saying least right now, ain't happening. Ain't happening right now. Maybe in the future, But ain't happening right now? All right? That I'll do it for our number one. We'll be back our number two eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. We got a draft coming up, another ASR draft. This one's a little off the walls. We'll take your calls as well. This is Ryan Drew, Shannon, Billy Mariol. This is Connecting Sports Radio.