Speaker 1: Well, hey Angel fans, and welcome back to Halo Territory on Mike D. Giovanni, former Eli Times Baseball writer, joined by Mark Trumbo, my regular co host and former Angel slugger. And if you're watching us on YouTube, you can see we have a very special guest today, Jim Palmer, the Hall of Fame pitcher, the three time Cy Young Award winner, the three time World Series champion, h and broadcast analysts for the Baltimore Orioles. Jim, really appreciate you joining us today. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good. Thanks, nice to be with.
Speaker 1: You, all right, Really appreciate it. So we thought, in the wake of the Angels sell off at the trade deadline, it would be interesting to examine the challenges for teams that are quote unquote playing out the string. How guys approached the final two months of a season in which they have nothing to play for.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Jim Palmer has never experienced that as a player. This is hard. I looked it up. I couldn't believe this.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 1: The Orioles had one losing season in your twenty two years in Baltimore. But as an Oriols TV analyst, there's no better example than twenty eighteen. The Orioles were thirty two and seventy five and forty two games back on July thirty first, and they traded away a big chunk of the MLB roster, including Manny Machado, Zach Britton, Kevin Gossman, Jonathan Shoop and others in a matter of days. Now Jim as a broadcaster and a franchise icon. What was that period like inside the organization and especially for the fan base.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously the fan base wasn't happy. I mean, this was the team, you know that, well twenty fourteen and again Mark wasn't there. I think Mark Urud did what twenty and sixteen when he led the American League at home runs with forty seven, But in the club, you know, so what they were ninety six and sixty sixty two in fourteen, fifteen, eighty one and eighty one, seen eighty nine and seventy three marks first year there, and then progressively if you look, I mean, seventy five and eighty seven, and then they would end up what forty.
Speaker 2: Seven, one hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I don't think he really wanted to sign in Baltimore, even you know, years earlier, Dan Toquet was the general manager. He said, do you think Manny would what's sign an extension? I go, well, I'll go ask him.
Speaker 2: So early on.
Speaker 3: This is not twenty eighteen. This is like, you know, he's you know, I've had some knee problems. He had both lika mins and is right and left knee fixed by I think alatrosh Elatroshi. And I went down the cage. I said, hey, would you sign the sentient? He said, of course. But again, when you go into your free agent year, things change and guys are making more money and whatever. So this is a club that got aggressively worse. I mean, Mark was there. I mean, I mean I did four and thirty two finishes with the Oriels. I did fourteen straight losing years, you know, from like nineteen eighty nine, all the way till when Showwater came I think, and came what twenty eleven at their first winning year in twenty twelve. So obviously, when you're as good as the Ools were, you know, now as they were in ninety you know in two thousand.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 1: Ninety seven, we're in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, exactly, Well, I mean go way back in and also team so again, you know, the fan expected him to be better than they were. But Dan Duke was saying, Okay, we're not winning. I mean, like I said, we ended up forty seven and a hundred and fifteen. Let's get the best deals we can. I'm not really sure they did, because they probably waited a year long longer to trade Manny Machiado than they should have. Yeah, that's always a really tough one. Manny I think one of the most understood players in the game. He was an excellent teammate and I just wanted to get that part in there. This is the first time the Angels have really leaned into people don't like to use the R word, but you know, you get walks like a duck, you're gonna call it a duck. So what I'm wondering, if you can help the fans, what what does a rebuild feel like for for the players, for the broadcasters, for you know, people that are day to day involved, having to kind of, you know, put their best effort forward knowing the wins aren't aren't going to pile up.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously, for the fans, I think it gives them hope.
Speaker 3: I mean, the oil is a perfect example Michaelias comes after the forty seven and one hundred and fifteen you know, one lost record in twenty eighteen, so he comes to twenty nineteen and he announces, Hey, we're going to do.
Speaker 2: A rebuild, and how are we going to do that?
Speaker 3: We're we're not going to be as bad as forty seven and one hundred and fifteen. Well, we're going to kind of do what they did down in Houston, where you know, you're going to hope, hopefully you'll play poorly. You get the draft high. Allie Rushman, who just got you know, traded up to Boston, was the first draft choice two thousand nineteen. I had a good friend with one of the Oil scouts. He begged them take Bobby, not that Allie's not going to be a good player, but Bobby went junior three years younger. A player is going to play one hundred and fifty five tow one hundred and sixty games a year based on catcher, maybe catching one hundred, one hundred and twenty five and probably more signable.
Speaker 2: And of course we know how good Wit is.
Speaker 3: But they chose Adlie and and you know when when Adley came in twenty twenty two, that was kind of at least and I think in the fans' minds and really the ools that this team was going to get better. And he really played well in twenty two, twenty three, all the way up to the All Star break in twenty four. I don't know if he had injuries, but all of a sudden he struggled. Last year, he had won thirty three with runners in scoring position. The league average is about two fifty one, so again, there was something going on.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 3: He was having a pretty good year, and the word is I don't know. You know that he wasn't going to sign an extension. The writer called me and he said, do you know for a fact? I said no. I said, why don't you ask the GM Mike Elias. He wouldn't have because I think if he did, he would set up pressent Because Gotter Henderson two years from now, when he's has another year on his contract before he become a free agent, you're going to go, well, he's going to trade him. So what if you're an Oriol fan or and you know again they trade Adlie Rutchman and they're only it's a false god. As far as I'm concerned, when you're not playing well. But they're only two and a half games out of the wild Cards, so they're still.
Speaker 2: In the race.
Speaker 3: Even though to do that, I think you had to play. And they're at eleven and what I think they're fifteen or sixteen and ten in their last twenty six games, so they're playing better. But again the Red Sox what twenty three and five except ardiculous, And you know we helped. We made four eras first night in Boston. They should have ended the wind streak, but we didn't. So yeah, I mean, Mark, you know as well as I you were there in twenty eighteen. It's it's kind of depressing in one sense. But if you're play and you get replaced, just to think of the opportunity last night against the Angels, Kate Povitch pitches against one of my favorite young pitchers, you know, in Grayson Ron Reguez. Except obviously we know you have to be able to stay healthy. So it gives all the young players opportunities, so they probably look at it a little more positively. But again, if you're broadcasting, you're still I mean, you're preparing for the game.
Speaker 2: You're hoping they win. There's why are people want TV or Orial TV.
Speaker 3: They went.
Speaker 1: Now Mark the Orioles went fifteen and forty in August and September of twenty eighteen. Do you remember what Camden Yard? I mean, Candon Yard is one of my favorite plays to watch baseball throughout the nineties. Places just rocking. This is a great atmosphere, playoff atmosphere every night. What do you recall it being like those last two months of twenty eighteen?
Speaker 3: The on field play was at fault. I mean, the fans continue to support, Maybe the stands weren't quite as crowded as they would be for a team playing significantly better. But as a player, you do the best you can, and I took a lot of pride and giving my best effort despite the fact the team wasn't doing well. It looks even worse if you just are pouting and quitting. It's bad enough already, don't make it worse. And for a lot of you know, in my situation, I was an older player, had signed a contract and wanted to honor that contract, and I felt like because of that, there was nothing else to do but give my best effort. If we happen to rack up you know, another loss that night, you just kind of have to eat it. Unfortunately, what happens on teams that are really bad, losing gets too familiar and it doesn't sting. And when it doesn't sting, I think that's a big deal. Now, in Jim's case, I don't think you played on too many teams that were under five hundred. Maybe it was astounding when I looked at the Orioles records while you were a player there. Yeah, well, I mean I liked well, I lucked out because I was a a couple of years before the draft, and you know, Houston offered.
Speaker 2: Me more money.
Speaker 3: I ended up signing with the Oriols at night. Ten teams called the next day. But I think I made the right decision. You know, you know six World Series, we won three of them. I mean, even the ones we lost, other than the Mets series, where I mean it's just bad experience because you know, on fire breaks they were obviously the amazing Messs, so they were a good team. But the two series and seventy one and seventy nine against the Pirates, they were great. You know, seven game World Series, you lose two to one, you lose I think five to one in the seventy nine World Series on the final day, So you know, yeah, I was. I was really lucky. And then, you know, how do you win many games as I did. You play on good teams, which is why I never left. I mean, I knew that all I had to do is try to figure out how to stay healthy, be able to go out there thirty eight, thirty nine, forty t times a year, and I was gonna win a lot of games because we did a lot of things, you know, right, And to Mark's point, teams that don't they beat themselves, They lose the one run games they're you know, they don't expect to win. So you do play for yourself, you know. The late Mike flank And used to always say when we would trade for a guy that came from a losing team, you said, you just can see he does not play for the name on the field of the uniform. They're used to playing for the team that you know, their name on the back of the uniform, which for themselves. And that's kind of what losing teams it kind of it kind of fosters that in a sense, and that that's not the way he play the game.
Speaker 1: I believe Marquez The next question, Okay, where are.
Speaker 3: The Orioles go? What are they doing? They trade badly. I understand if he wasn't interested in signing a contract extension, then logically I think that that does make sense. They but they've already done one rebuild, very painful. It took a while, but it did pay off, not in the form of a world series, but they did have a lot of success under Brandon Hyde. You know, some good seasons, and they reshuffled. There's new instructors every year. You and I have talked about some of this, but you know, the Angels are doing it for the first time, and I guess you want to get it right and try and emulate teams that have sustained success. Brewers raised teams like that unless you're a big spender. But what do you see from the Oels now? Just is this just a reshuffling, restocking? What's going on?
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: You know, when Michael Eyes came in twenty nineteen, he said, we're going to create an elite pipeline. Now again, when you're drafting number one, you hope that you know again, I mean, they take Adlie over Bobby with Junior. They do get Gunner Henderson, who was I think the fortieth pick that year. So pretty talented player, even though this year he's been struggling, you know, and then they don't draft pitchers. That's why I think the Adelie Ruschman trade, you know, in getting Taylor Word who you know, was with the Angels hit thirty six home runs career high. I mean normally years, what twenty three, twenty six, somewhere in that range when he's healthy, but he only hit seven one at Camping Yards. Now they could change left field used to be three sixty four. Now it went to three ninety eight. Now it's back in a little bit. I mean, it's you know, it's kind of weird, but I think they thought they had a team that could compete. But again, one of their best young players is Jordan Westburn. And when you take him out of the lineup, you know, the Oarls don't beat lefties. You know, they're going to face Red Deptner's tonight and I'm going, okay, not only is he a good pitcher, he's left handed. What did Pete Rose say, if you're breathing in your left handed you got a chance to play. So you know, again we are in a rebuild of sense, but a lot of times when you know, like when they traded Cini and Lopez and what twenty twenty twenty two, after only winning fifty some games a year before, Mike Alas said, well left off, Well, then you trade two of your better players. But in twenty three they you know, they won one hundred one games, and you know, after going from fifty seven to eighty three, then one hundred and one and ninety one. So again this is a team that you think on paper, I mean they'd signed Pete Launce. They traded for Shane Bobs, who has pitched a lot better than his record because they don't score any runs for him. You know, they've had some injuries, you know, Helsley, they got him as a closer.
Speaker 2: He's been popping on the il. You know.
Speaker 3: Trevor Rodgers last year had his the most incredible seventeen game streak that I've ever seen, and I've been in baseball over sixty years. Had a one thirty one ERA after which seventeen starts, you know, you go on a run. I mean I went on a run once where I you know, I had thirty three in the third, scoreless innings and you think you're not going to get you any run. But to do that, he gave up six runs in his last startup in New York because he you know, for eighteen starts one to eighty one and he started out poorly. Now he's pitching as well as anybody, but they haven't extended him. So I don't I don't know what they're going to do. They have the highest payroll I think in the history of the Orioles and they're three games und five hundred. So again, is this a rebuild? I don't think so. But once again, you know the Ali Rushman trade. You know, you don't think it's going to happen till it does. One of the writers called me last night and they said, well, do you know that he turned down an extension And I said no, I said, why don't you ask the GM And he said, well I did, you wouldn't answer it because if you did, that means when Gutter Henderson two years from now and he's Scott Boris.
Speaker 2: You know, he's one of the best agents in baseball.
Speaker 3: But automatically, if he doesn't sign an extension, he's going to be traded in the middle of the season, So I don't think you want to verbally set that precedent. So it'll be very interesting what they do. But they needed pitching. Apparently they got from the Red Sox two really good prospects.
Speaker 2: But Mark knows as well as I do.
Speaker 3: You know, cal RIKENSII always say there's suspects in their prospects, and the prospects get the chance to get to the big leaguers probably a little bit sooner, whether you got a big lot of money to sign or you know, you throw ninety eight or whatever. But the minute you get to the big leagues, you're a suspect again until you prove that you can play the game at a high level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he Ken Rosen. Ken Rosenthal in the Foul Territory Network has mentioning things to say about this Rushman deal. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: The Rushman trade to me was the defining trade of this deadline. It was fascinating ADLEI Rushman going to the Boston Red Sox for a number of prospects, and it kind of, as I wrote, demonstrated two teams at opposite extremes. The Orioles, a team that was supposedly going to be a commpetitive contending type club by now. They talked about lift off their president base operations Michael Oias did in twenty twenty two. They didn't lift off, they haven't crashed, but they've kind of gone nowhere, and now they've traded the guy they picked number one over Bobby Wick Junior in twenty nineteen, the guy that was really the signature piece of their rebuild, the guy who they talked about keeping forever and yet never signed to a long term extension. That guy is, of course, Rushman. And the reason that this trade for the Orioles was so deflating to so many of their fans is that it kind of acknowledges that the whole thing hasn't gone according to plan. Fans are asked all the time, trust the process, stay with us, their Oriols fans did. Through some really hard years. They tanked, they got some big picks, and now they are not starting over, but certainly retooling in a way that is going to require more patience. Now they've got pieces in place going forward, they'll be okay. They've got Alonso and they've got Basaiosne signed long term. They've got pieces in their rotation. Pob Bradish. Of course, Shane Boz. Long term, they can extend a qualifying offer to Trevor Rodgers. But fans are right to ask, hey, man, what's going on here? Why is that?
Speaker 1: Jim as Mark said, the Angels are finally committed to a rebuild. It's really the first time since I can ever remember. But are the Orioles with What's going on now? Something of a cautionary tale for the Angels, especially they're fans who might be thinking this is a smooth, linear process.
Speaker 3: Well, it worked for the Oriols. It's just they couldn't sustain it, and could you know. So they went one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and one and then they win ninety one.
Speaker 3: They go to the playoffs two years ago, they get swept by the Rangers, who win the World Series in twenty twenty three. That's a good club, but it had an inexperienced club. And you know, Brad's got beat in game one, really good game. I think it gave three runs and Oils didn't score. And then Grace and Rodriguez Dean Kramer who's Jewish, right after what happened in two thousand and seven, and he's going to go start a playoff game, and a lot of things on his mind, man, other than baseball. What happened in Israel or in Gaza. So and then the next year they play Kansas City, and you know, they lose, what three to two, and then they lose two to one. So they're a good team, but they're not a great team. And then you know, all of a sudden, you know, next year they start out fifteen and twenty eight and I'm on the elevator in Anaheim and the club's not playing well. You know, it's game three of the Ools playing in Anaheim, and Mike Elias, the GM says, you ever see a team go from all the way up here to the bottom? And I said, not one with good pitching. And you know, you went back to your point. I never played on a team that didn't have good pitching. So you're in games, your players think you're in games. I don't know, Mark, I mean, I'm not going to speak for you, but because you were a terrific hitter, but if you don't think you have to get seven or eight runs a game, yet, you can get three or four, or I can get a big hit, or I'm going to be involved versus not going to be a slug fester every night. I think you got to think you have a better chance of winning games. And all the good clubs I played on had excellent pitching. That's a perfect segue. I was going to ask you I personally like short starts four and a third hundred pitches.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. And it's been.
Speaker 3: The downfall of many you know, the Angels have struggled in a number of areas, but one short start not only taxes that night bullpen, but the games to come, and it's been really tough. My question that was really going to be what are they getting right? And maybe the opposite of right with the modern pitching. We just watched the miz You know, I used to throwing a million really impressive arm. There's still a guy's doing well. Grayson did give them length last night. He went seven innings, but the majority of the time I'm seeing these guys look awfully happy after their five innings, and for you, that would have been a I mean, it's just done unfathomable. I'm assuming five innings that's a failure. Well, we had a guy that just got traded a starting pitcher, and about three years ago he went to Cincinnati took place to pitch, but just four innings, it was up ten hits, six runs.
Speaker 2: So I didn't. I mean I watched the game.
Speaker 3: But and then I'm going down to Houston to the games, and I was talking to the locker room and I said, you know what went on in Cincinnati. I mean, I kind of watched the game. He said, well, you know, I actually kind of like my metrics and my pitch shapes.
Speaker 2: And I looked at him. Can I give you a little girl Weaver? He goes, or a Weaver.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, the Hall of Fame manager that's got a statue at you know in Campion Yards. I said, if you told Weaver to your point mark, when you blew out the bullpen by only going four innings, give up ten hits and six runs, and you told him that you liked your pitch shape or patricks, he would have said, so did the kid, and if you keep that up, you'll be down a triple A Rochester. So the game is different. You know, a couple of years ago, they don't like me to talk to the pitchers or or even being around him because the media is kind of the necessary evil in Baltimore with the pr people. But I suck into the locker room before opening day and Tyler Wells, you just got traded down to Tampa Bay. Actually pretty good. Was pitching really well for the Oils. So that's another trade. I mean, look at Brian Baker's number they traded him last year. I think he's got close to thirty saves. So just Tampa obviously, you know they know what they're going to do with their pitching. But so tider Wells said, you throw a lot of pitches, and I said, well, the year I was twenty, everybody got hurt in spring training. I thought I was going to Triple A and I you know, my first start was in Fenway Park. I throw one hundred and seventy seven pitches, you know, strike out seven, walk seven, hit a home run off Dave More had to pitch before. And then of course they sent him out the next day because he hung our curve ball, almost shit it to the turnpike. And they asked start pitching coach, Harry the Kapercine, you know, really great left handed pitcher for the Cardinals, who's our pitching coach. It's a lot of pitches for a twenty year old, he said, yeah, we want to get that pitch count down into the one forties.
Speaker 2: So tdder Wells is starting to last. But that's the way it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, you did what you could do. And I mean I know because we pissed every four day that you can throw one hundred and twenty five thirty forty pitches in your sleep if you have a good wind up, if you know how to pitch. And I guess my point about the oil pitcher who just got traded to the Midwest is that it's not a It's about can you what's the hitter doing when you come through the minor leagues? And I think in a ball, I mean I walked one hundred and thirty one hundred and twenty nine innings, went to instructional league, so I pitched one hundred and eighty innings, probably walked on a hundred ninety guys. The next year, I'm in the big leagues. But I got to pitch. I got to earn how to get hitters out. I didn't have somebody on the iPad that I'm talking on right now saying, well, you know your.
Speaker 2: Spin rate is this, and you know you need to real ball and you need to do all that the.
Speaker 3: Hitters told me what I needed to throw. I used to have and I don't know if you ever did this mark when you're a young player, even when you're an older player. I used to have guys that wanted to see live pitching come down and when I'm throwing my side or before a game, I wanted to hit her standing up there. I wanted to simulate what the game was going to be like when the game started. And meanwhile, I mean, if I'm like, we have a a rule of five guy, you know, or a number one draft choice, five million dollar player, Colden Capser doesn't hit lefties, doesn't It strikes out too much. It was a back to ball guy in college. He doesn't hit left handers. Every time Trevor Rodgers would throw, were now Kate Povid, who pitched against the Angels last night, I'd be down there track and pitches.
Speaker 2: I know they have all the machines, but there's nothing like seeing.
Speaker 3: The ball out of your hand. One of the greatest articles ever was Sporting News with Tony gwyn and Stam Musual talking about what they saw the pitcher delivers the ball. Now that's thirty six and twenty hits and a batting titles, saying, we noticed the speed of the ball out of the hand. No, I don't know if you agree with that, but tracking pitches, you know, it's pretty important when you're trying to be and I do agree, but it cuts into your rest and recovery time. So hitt feel that in practice is uh, it's just not what it used to be. Two three guys, I said, where is everybody flarity? When they came into town last year in the Cubs? I said, this is it justin Turner and one other? But but no, I mean all aside the game. The game has changed. Guys don't play in practice outside as much. They need two and a half hours of quiet time. What is when you get to the playoffs and you actually have to writers and you and then then I was told this year, well we I said, you don't hit outside anymore? Now, Pete Alnso said, listen, I'm going to hit outside because I want to know what the background's like, because you know, I'm I just got one hundred and fifty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't have the mess ever. Let him go. He's the real dude, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not hitting as well with runners and score ambition, and he's a strikeout guy. But he plays the game every day as hard as he can possibly play, and he's my type of player, so to he'll do that. But I was told, he said, well, we score more runs when we when we don't hit outside, And I go, so are we going to factor in who was pitching that day?
Speaker 2: You know? You know or you know we don't beat left handed starters.
Speaker 3: Well, what's the team e or ra for our guys the days you don't beat left handed starters. I don't give you the whole picture. So again, I don't know. I played with some of the greatest players, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, you know, Cal Rippon and Eddie Murray and you know, all Hall of famers. He took back batt in practice and wolves, you know, and that's what he did. And you know, and I tell you now, Baltimore used to before global warming, Baltimore used to be hotter.
Speaker 1: Well you'll probably notice Jim Marc is forty years old. I believe he's as old school as they come. That's what we love about him. Hey, you mentioned Grayson Rodriguez being one of your favorite young pitchers. We have certainly not seen the best of him in Anaheim this year, but it looked like he had had a maybe what we hope as a breakthrough game on on Monday. On Tuesday night, What did you think of Grayson? How does he look to you? Is he starting to look like the Grayson Rodriguez of old?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, you know, he was twenty and eight for the Ords.
Speaker 3: I mean, but he got a lot of runs, got over six runs a game, and what he needed to do when he was healthy, which he looked like he was healthy last night. I mean, last night's is a hanging slider to Alonzo and a lead off walk that's got him in trouble. And that's so if you're going to walk the leadoff guy, he better strike some people out or whatever. And he did make a good Pete you know, Hagen slider, the Pete Alonzo two run single and there's it's two nothing, you know, and then he pitches seven innings only doesn't go through any more runs.
Speaker 2: He's healthy and he's smart.
Speaker 3: He's a hard worker, but he's got to figure out, Okay, I need to be more consistent. So when I have a bad game, it's my ear is not six or seven months a game. So because once again my point is, if Mark's playing, you know, right field for me, I'm going to make him.
Speaker 2: Think as the starting pitcher, we have a chance to win that night. And how do you do that?
Speaker 3: Stay away from beginnings and when Grayson did pitch well for the Oriols when he was healthy the.
Speaker 2: Beginnings, you know, gott in the way.
Speaker 3: So again, talent guy, hopefully of pitch well because you know he's a he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's really a good guy.
Speaker 3: And it's the last number one draft choice the Ools, or at least high draft choice the Oils I've ever actually had, and that was Dan Duquett being the general manager. How much better do you think you would have done had you had a catcher or with his glove flopping all over the place back there, well than you a target moving tar Well, Carlos, he actually put the glove up yesterday. I mean, here is I know, I know, and he held it. Now he held it and I tweeted and Ben Ben McDonald's we've been talking about this. He does the games and I don't do most of them. And I said, you throw it to the glove. I mean how do you have the plate sevent eight inches wide, you can make it about another two point eight on both sides. So what that's almost twenty three inch or twenty two inches somewhere. Because all you have to do, and we've seen it with the Avs, have the edge of the ball on there. So if I want to throw the ball out of the middle of the plate, I mean, how do I want to pitch Mark Trumbo? Not down the middle unless I want to see how far the ball went, you know, my neck, So the point is down in the way. Well, okay, okay, you know, like I said, twenty sixteen to lead the American League in home runs with forty seven. There's three hundred and ninety hitters now in the big leagues, if you you know, thirteen position players, maybe not hitters, but guys that go to the bat, and then you have you know, you know, three hundred, three hundred and ninety pitchers. How many of those three hundred ninety hitters have they said, where is the optimum ball to hit hard? How many would say lo and away? Mhm, Well you just try and pull it over the left field fence. Well there, yeah, they're away?
Speaker 1: There are they are very few Tony Gwinns left in this game.
Speaker 3: Jim, well, no, but you know I went to with Bobby Gritch and Rock Groo and we were talking about that, and Bobby said, no, he played behind. I mean, you know, Bobby should be in the Hall of Fame. His numbers are higher than Ran. His war is over seventy seventy one, I think, or something like that. One of the more one of my favorite teammates was of his intens and he said, well, you used to, you know, kind of down away and.
Speaker 2: Then ride the ball.
Speaker 3: We've got a Gritch fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought how intess he was, you know, how good a player he was.
Speaker 3: And I saw, you know, we're having dinner and I said, yeah, down the way and I said, Roddie, I said, how'd you hit down away? Well, you know this is a guy that one said Betty Fell, I actually hit that pitch pretty well.
Speaker 2: But you know what's going.
Speaker 3: To happen the lone away fastball to right ear lefty if you do it early in the game and you find out that the hitter will cover the outside corner. It's an information pitch. It makes you better, you know, if the guy won't do it. Why would I want I mean, right now, I mean, I throw a guy fastball on the way, you know, outside corner of the play, and if.
Speaker 2: You took him, I throw another one.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not an audition Broadway.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to show him that I can sing, dance the odel and all that stuff. I want to see what he does, and I want to see as quickly and early in the game because I'm going to pitch deep into the game.
Speaker 2: So if he takes it, I throw another one.
Speaker 3: If he takes it, I probably throw another one because if he can hit it and he covers the outside corner, probably going to be susceptible up and in, maybe not hit the change up very well or the you know, the breaking ball. So why wouldn't I want to find that out? See now, everybody tells you to you know, wow, this guy can't hit the ball well.
Speaker 2: When you pitch, it's a very visual thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, Mark, I would assume some guys you see the ball better than other guys, regardless of what the velocity is. Pitching, Just where's the bat hit? You got to watch the badhand. You have to go out and watch them take batting practice. You have to sit on the days you're not pitching and talk about the game and who has good bad speed, and who has a slider speed back. All these things we learned. We weren't totally now, you know, they say, okay, you need to do this and all that. Throw a fastball right by and they go, oh, go not a good breaking ball. Hit or speak the bat up with a breaking ball, and you wonder why you give up more runs than you want to. Yeah, you can learn a lot by watching the game. That's why you know the iPads and stuff. So did a really good job for us young players. Well they just frankly booted us out of the video room. Maybe just me, but I think Borgos was there too. But his point was, what are you going to learn? You just have to breaking ball in the dirt? What you know? What more do you need to know? If you want, if you want, I want to look look at you know, a strike that you fouled off, But really you don't even know which way is up. So get out of there. Bobby Bray. You can go in there and you're going to stay on the top step and you're going to watch the game. But it was invaluable advice a little harsh of the time, but or direct, I should say, but I appreciate that. That's the type of thing that I'm not going to get off on a tangent. But the Angels, you know, I think that they're a candidate for, you know, a manager with a little firmer hand. I've said it previously, and you've got young players sometimes they need guidance and direct guide guidance. So the fact that they don't let you talk to pictures as much, or maybe it's not as encouraged, is tough to hear that. You know, right there that clip we can just put it on repeat and send it to them. Well, well, yeah, I mean I had a friend today, you know, my wife works out at Orange Theory and Nords from Bob used to be a vice president.
Speaker 2: He says, have you ever talked to the picture? I got the Baltimore.
Speaker 3: In what nineteen sixty five and here we are in twenty six and they have never asked me to talk to the pictures.
Speaker 2: Now, doesn't mean I don't dumb pictures. You know. We had a general manager who went to the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: First thing he did the next bring he said, hey, we come up and talked to our you know, minor league pictures, and I said, you've got Bob Gibson.
Speaker 2: He said, no, we want to hear another.
Speaker 3: And I'm out there and I you know, And I said, so, you know, who are the two best pictures in the National League the last ten years?
Speaker 2: Oh? You know, Schilling and Johnson. I said, no, no, the last ten years Maddox and Glavin.
Speaker 3: I said, what did they throw about ninety ninety one? I said, how many guys throw ninety one? Everybody's hand on it. I said, but could you throw a change up in any count? Can you pitch the both sides of the plate, can you field your position? Can you throw the low and away fastball when you need to? So that's that's kind of you know, I don't think the game has changed. It doesn't mean that guys don't hit low and away fast but you kind of know where they are. And you know, if you have a baseball field, it's this big, and I mean, you could hit the ball anywhere out of the ballpark. But if you have a guy's you know, that's you take the field. And if I have left hand, hit her up and I know I'm gonna throw the ball along the way.
Speaker 2: I can take that field and make it that much smaller.
Speaker 3: I canise, I can now I can have the same amount of a venders in a smaller field. Now, doesn't that make sense? But you know now, I mean I last night, you're you're catcher. You just you just got him. He hits a little roller in the right field. More baller, Yeah, but whatever, But I mean, no, you're right, Yeah, I mean the hardest thing. And as a hitter has got granky Dan Haren, all these guys stealing strike one down in a way very frustrating. You're behind in the count now already. And I planned to hit it, and I was, you know, you go up there with it. I'm going to be aggressive and it's just not a pitch. You can do anything with it. So the brain says nope, and then oh one again and again, you know, against these good guys. So I appreciate that. I think Mike's gott got a final question for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to ask you this, Jim. Speaking of great pictures, you and Tom sever were two of the greatest of your generation and my generation. I grew up in Connecticut in the sixties and seventies seventies. Tom sever was my favorite player. But you guys did not face each other in the sixty nine World Series. You did start opposite of each other in the nineteen seventy All Star Games Cincinnati. But as far as I can tell a research of mine this morning, you square it off only once in the regular season, on April twenty third, nineteen eighty four, when you were in your last season with the Ools and Sever was at the end of his career with the Chicago White Sox. What if anything, do you remember from that game in Kamiski Park, And did you guys develop a relationship through all those All Star Games or whether it's a mutual admiration or respect over the years.
Speaker 3: Well, Tom Siver, yeah, buddy, you know struck out eight thousand people one three hundred and eleven games, my first All Star game. You know, Willie Mays, let Off Rose hit second, bench hit you know aeron fourth. I think Dick Allen has just got in the Hall of Fame. He hit seventh or something like.
Speaker 2: That was the only headache had when I looked at that lineup.
Speaker 3: But I pitched against Tom and Dave McNally, who won twenty games for US four times he would eventually be pitching.
Speaker 2: When when they would lose an extra.
Speaker 3: Innings, Peter Rose playing third base, and I dropped a bunt down and I took he threw me out and I come back and Dave McNally says, you know, you get a little bit of power. Why didn't you try to hit a home run off with Tom Seaver? And I said, what are you crazy? What do you have to do is let's see April. I don't remember the date, but in nineteen seventy he struck out nineteen yea. Not only did he strike out in nineteen he struck out the last ten batters of the game. So mark point, you think he threw more than ninety five pitches that day.
Speaker 2: I mean he could. You know, he was terrific.
Speaker 3: And to your point, to your point of course, we used you know, we were both on the Baseball Assistant Team board, so I got to see him. They have a big dinner, used to have a big dinner up in January. You know, we're both in the Hall of Fame. I have a great picture of us when of the Little League World Series. You know, on Friday night after we both retired and the only cover I ever made of Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 2: I'm on one side.
Speaker 3: And Thomas on the other, which is you know, awesome. Yeah, I mean I get people. In fact, people sustend it to me. And I'm going since Tom passed away, it's gonna be a tough autograph of only I autographs. I probably should come up with a Thomas Ever autographed. Make it, you know, less valuable or whatever. But you know, one of the great pictures of all time, and and terrific guy, and you know, tragically you know, Alzheimer's or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I loved his wine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, he had a great vineyard up in the Napa Valley and I think g TS named after his dad. So you know again, I mean, if you're a Mets fan, I wish you know it's your point. I wish I had actually pitched against him in the sixty nine. Well, he gave up a couple of runs. I pitched against Gary Gentry in Game three and we got shut out. So but he was he was Tom terrific. I mean, that's kind of some what a what a great nickname.
Speaker 1: If memory serves at A young right hander named Nolan Ryan finished that Gentry game.
Speaker 2: It could have.
Speaker 3: All I know is it was one of our best breaking ball hitters and Nolan and people forget that, you know, it's relief pitcher for the Mets. And he threw him a curveball and Paul's rear end was in our dugout one, you know, I mean, it's not that jacked up, you know, radar, there we go. Christ was the last out. He threw him a two two change up for.
Speaker 2: The final out of the no hitter in Anaheim. And he pitched games and.
Speaker 3: I'm going, how do you see the ball? I mean, you know he's from you know, legitimate one hundred hundred and one, and yeah, I mean he was knowing, but he was a little bit wild. He walked me on a three two curveball throwing a hundred. I'm not sure that was a very prudent quite all right, runt against him?
Speaker 2: Pardon, do you ever bud against.
Speaker 3: Nolan or are you out of you know that? Yeah, guys that try to bunt, he would he would throw the ball back in. You know, he'd walk about halfway maybe even a little bit closer to home plate, get the ball and rub it up like this and just go try that again. You know, no, no, no, no no no, I just I just figured if you wanted to walk me for me too, I'll go down there. At least he didn't hit me, you know. That was what the DH was, what came in in seventy seventy three. I don't think I was ever hit by a pitch, you know, from sixty five to seventy two.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was fortunate.
Speaker 3: I didn't hit that many either, only hit thirty eight.
Speaker 1: All right, hey, we are going to end the show with that Jim Palmer Hall of Famer Baltimoreal's TV Analysts. We really appreciate your time and input. Mark Tremble, thanks as always. Hey, thanks for listening, thanks for tuning in, and please like them, subscribe and we'll see you next time on Halo Territory