Speaker 1: I was undecided heading in last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you are a lot of questions when they interviewed the undecided afterwards, and they're just like, mm hmmm, yeah, I just saw a bunch of lies on both sides.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't really know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, part of it feels like if you can somehow credibly say you're undecided, you will simply get to be in the New York Times every weekend. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You are a media resource. You are like the greatest jewel the media could possibly stumble.
Speaker 3: Across, scientific anomaly essentially. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was once on a jury for like a wrongful death lawsuit, and we just had this one person who was holding out for no no reason, like no, just like other then. I just don't know, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say it's basically poly shore Jerry Duty. Like the reason they're undecided is because they like what they get from being undecided.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, they like the attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how else are.
Speaker 1: They going to get it?
Speaker 3: Howlse are they going to get like like allegedly the smartest people, the smartest people they deal with every day to be like, I really want to know what's in your what makes you tick.
Speaker 1: I think we should just rebrand the Daily Zeikeeist as like the last undecided podcasts, like where we haven't figured it.
Speaker 3: Out, Watch the numbers, go through the roof.
Speaker 1: Watch out, but it's all New York Times reporters. Hell in the.
Speaker 2: Weed.
Speaker 1: We need you on our network somehow publish your podcast in the print edition.
Speaker 3: We just need to. We'll just yeah, we'll just have chat GPT Trent's. We'll just tip it out, no editing needed.
Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three point fifty five, episode four of Daily sa Guy Stay production. Yes, it production of iHeartRadio. Also, we are America's only undecided podcast. We still don't know who we're voting for either way. It could go either way. You know you convince me, CNN interviewer. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. And it is Thursday, September twelfth, twenty twenty four. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Soup. It's ministrony soup, So come on and cook me soup, drink it through a straw. Soup that is courtesy of Halcyon Salad. On the discord, it was meant to be a help the Beatles ak, but you know who can sing? Really? I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat by one of the very faces on Mountain, Zeitemore, a hilarious and brilliant producer, TV writer. You know him from the US this racist podcast.
Speaker 3: It's Andrew t Aka this time.
Speaker 4: Every time to that guys calling, I put down my phone and say, I need to find us song bad people, No, so I can make it ak a since solo.
Speaker 1: He that was nice.
Speaker 3: Well, finally finally had the time to come.
Speaker 1: Up with something that was an Andrew t ridge.
Speaker 3: I mean barely. Yeah, I was scrambling.
Speaker 1: That was great, Andrew, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm alive. I'm only working on off of secondary takes, so I did not watch the debate. So we'll see, we'll see the last second scratch, We'll see what it feels better. But a brain, you know, yeah, just I'm the first derivative of of knowledge here. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll all come. You are, you know, going off of secondhand takes that have been digested and then baby birded back into your mouth. I am an undecided voter who crotched the debate very closely, and you know, I saw it. Both sides had interesting things to say. But Andrew, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a wildly talented Ethio American vocalist, songwriter and composer whose album was named among the best albums of the year by band Camp in the Sunday Times. She's performed on stages all over the world and is the host of the podcast Movement with mcleat, which just dropped season two, So go check it out. Please welcome back to the show, the brilliantly talented mcle.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, y'all. Good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Good to have you here. I am yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't have an a ka, but.
Speaker 1: I know you've like sung twice. Like when you entered the chat. You were like hey, and I was like, god, damn, God, damn it. That was beautiful and I was like, oh man, soup, I'm a yeah. Anyways, So that the two things that we've discovered are we've been told by Alpha God Jesse waters are unacceptable to somebody who is masculine, is eating soup and consuming anything through a straw. Just in case you guys are wondering why the context.
Speaker 3: For my aka solids only no waters. For water, yes, has to be in the form of a brick like salt. Lick is the only thing that one can consume. You have to eat like a horse or like a have a bag of oats strapped to the front of your face.
Speaker 5: Because but you also drink through a straw.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 5: Would you also drink the bag of oats through a straw?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or yeah, I guess horses eat straw, which is unacceptable because.
Speaker 3: Straw is not manly. So yeah, this is this is the right wing news. We come here for I love, and we just have.
Speaker 1: To, like, you know, get down to the fine you know, dissect what what is manly like? Is eating straw unmanly? Or is it kind of tough? Because this is.
Speaker 3: Why we need a white man around. I would never know this.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm here for, you guys. I do, of course tape Jesse Waters is the high priest of white manness. But yeah, I do have to give credit where due. All right, McLean, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of the things we're talking about, and we are still talking about that debate. We're gonna dig into the real story of what's happening in Springfield, Ohio. Of course we heard a version of events from former President Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: We'll find out both sides. Anything could happen.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, we're going to look into it. You know, we've got to take this man at his work and so we're gonna we're gonna dig in to the journalism around this story. And of course we have to look at Kamala Harris's earrings the night of the debate. They looked awfully familiar to those of us who still click on those banner ads that say one thing doctors don't want you to know. If you if you pay attention to those sidebar and banner ads, then you probably recognize those earrings, or maybe not because this is complete bullshit story. We might even get into Halloween costume ideas. Should we talk about Halloween costume ideas?
Speaker 3: It's the only news that matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all of that, plenty more. But first mccleet, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 5: Okay, this is my nerd side all right, this is a real left turn from our previous conversation yesterday.
Speaker 1: We don't allow that as left. Unmanly. We were like ups trucks up here. We only do right. We only take yeah.
Speaker 5: Only okay, okay, non sequitors. Cool right turns are left. Yes, I was looking for h A. I was looking for an audio program called the isotope Spectron.
Speaker 1: Isotope spectron that just sounds smart as hell.
Speaker 5: So I used to play this thing called a star guitar. I got these star sounds from my friend at NASA, and I would hybridize them with the sound of my guitar live on stage. But it required this program that they discontinued in twenty eleven, And every once in a while, like every six months, I look up has it come back? Because I can't actually find any program that will let me play a star guitar anymore. So that that was my yesterday.
Speaker 1: So it takes the noise from stars, because that is like an underrated thing that scientists do. They'll like point a microphone of sorts at space and be like, this is what Jupiter sounds like, and it just sounds It sounds like a fucking horror movie. Up there. It's just like Jupiter is being tortured. Somebody goes a lot of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's it's all three aliens. Yeah, yeah, you know, but yeah, there's it's sonic like curve soonifications of stars, and there's one in particular that has just like the name of the star is just a lot of let and numbers, like there's no actual name, but it's the pulse is like this incredible rhythm. And so I would and you could choose this program. Let you choose, like I only want the highs from the star and I'll take the mids and the lows from the guitar, and you could totally like work with it. And it's gone. It's gone, and every once in a while I look forward to come back because it was really fun to play the Star guitar.
Speaker 1: It's zotpe, yeah, spectrum, yeah, sweetwater. It's telling us it's out of stock.
Speaker 5: That's all of stock.
Speaker 1: That sucks.
Speaker 5: But I never but yeah, I'm hanging on for a resurgence one day.
Speaker 1: That's cool. But you have like messed with it and like played music with the Sound of Stars.
Speaker 5: I used to tour with it. I used to play it on tour and now I can't anymore. So that's nice.
Speaker 3: Is music like that?
Speaker 1: Like, are there like the way that computers like just suddenly like any software from like twenty eleven, Like I wouldn't be able to run on a modern No you.
Speaker 5: Counter you count run it?
Speaker 1: No, it would.
Speaker 3: It feels like it would almost be like the best bet is finding a working like twenty eleven computer.
Speaker 5: Right, do you think that I haven't tried that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I have one hundred person No, no.
Speaker 1: Ted that he thinks you didn't try that.
Speaker 5: I totally try. I totally like I have. I have tried it all. I've tried it all because it was so cool, it was so special. But anyway, that was my yesterday searching on the isotope spectron and then thinking, oh hey, I think I'll talk about this on TDZ too.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if anybody has the inside lane on an isodope's spectrum, you know, hit mclet up. I don't know, maybe we for some musicians. I know we have musicians in our audience, so yeah, I just that makes me wonder if all those people who like paid a bunch of money to be like I got the mixing board the thriller was made on, Like are they just they pay the money and they're like, oh, there's no way to use this or because that's not I think analog analogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that like weird mid digital obsolescence. It's like what do you do with all your jazz drives?
Speaker 1: Like, yup?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: That is exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, you're like, right, anything old, you just plug it in as long as there's still electricity or maybe even not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can solder it to fix it, but you can't solder the icotate spectra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool. I don't do much soldering myself, but I'm working on it, Jesse. I'm working on it, Jesse Waters. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: I think opening acts are underrated. Like if you go to a show and you're like, oh, I've got I'm going to dinner with my friends and I'm going to show up right when the headliner starts, and you're like and and I think people just think of it as like like kind of a fill you know, But if you look at opening acts, like even if you looked at a venues list of opening acts, you'd start to get a sense of a local music scene and it's a way like somebody put a lot of thought and heart into what you might like as an audience member, and it's like the it's like a way to get a pulse on a local arts and music scene. So I think opening acts are underrated and you should show up when the show actually starts and check out that band that's first, and you like might fall totally in love with some new music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like legendary stories in my family. My older sister went and saw a band and what the White Stripes opened for them, like in this like tiny like venue and she got to see the White Stripes before like they were a thing.
Speaker 5: And that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: My dad went to I forget what the main band was, but he saw Billy Joel was the opening act, and he's like and he had that place rocking man, Like he.
Speaker 6: Still he loves to tell that story. But yeah, like there's it's it's worth it to like try it out. And yeah, that's not something that I had actually realized. I guess I dumbly assumed that like they always traveled together, like the opening act would like be on tour with them, but it's actually they'll just like be like, this is a cool LA band that we kind of fuck with. They'll open for us while we're in LA, and then you know, same with Saint Louis totally.
Speaker 5: And sometimes you get people like though there'll be a West Coast opening act or you'll go like sometimes it's paired, but most of the time it's either local or regional, and it's like it's always a good opportunity. So yeah, underrated opening back opening band.
Speaker 3: I know this is my most like these kids today type opinion. But it's like, if you guys like live performance so much, see the whole thing are you paying for?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 5: A you're paying eight for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, it's definitely worth it. And it's like the the the energy is much more laid back during the opening and sometimes you see like something that's sort of embarrassing, but some people who aren't great but usually not though usually they're pretty good, so rare.
Speaker 3: That was the most realistic part of the movie Trap was when the opening band was playing to like twenty five people in a like you know, Taylor Swift style concert.
Speaker 1: Who oh so you saw Trap?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I saw Trap.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. While I think I have I have some notes. I just had some thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what mcley is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Matching socks? Nobody sees them. You don't have to match your socks. It's all good. Just pick any sock from the sock drawer and go on with your day. I like, I never match. I never matched my socks.
Speaker 1: And how different are we talk? And like different colors, just different different genres of socks. Like do you have one dress sock one sweat sock?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but what you don't match is like or what you like. Even if the colors and styles don't match, the lengths have to match. So it'll annoy me if it's like one really short sock one longer sock, so I have to match the lengths. But that's it.
Speaker 3: There's still something, there's still something you can't you're not full chaos. Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking of like an ankle sock and like a big dress sock. That might be that might be tough.
Speaker 3: I did that the other day, and I gotta tell you it may be so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: You did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unmatched and genuinely because so many, such a high percentage of my socks are just Costco socks. So it was medium gray and light gray, and I was like, everyone can tell everybody knows, everyone knows about the secret shame happening under my shoe right now. So stupid. I understand I'm deeply stupid in your correct but wow, it really I could barely handle it the whole time, just white knuckling it through my day, like no one's looking at my ankles.
Speaker 1: Right, So is your sock drawer like, are at the laundry stage? Are you not even trying to match? Is it just like a salad of different individual socks.
Speaker 5: It's it's a it's a salad, it's a soupo pourri, it's a it's all of the above. Yeah no, no, there's nothing nothing, there's no effort goes into matching it.
Speaker 3: It sounds liberating. Yeah, this really will shave. This is a good like life hack. This will shave so much time to save your grind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I have socks that, like half of my children's sock drawer is just like unmatched socks that I've like kind of given up on. Those are so little though, children's socks are so small, and they I'm pretty sure they get sucked into. And I think I've said this before on the show, and Miles was like, what are you talking about? You sound crazy, man, this idea that socks get like sucked into like an intake in the washing machine. But then I've had people like kind of back me up that that can happen. That like there's especially small children's socks will just get inhaled by laundry machines.
Speaker 5: There was this episode of the Family Guy that I saw, probably like I don't know, twenty years ago, where the back of the laundry machine is Narnia with like a half on half you know, human creature taking single socks into the abyss. And so anyway, with the children's socks a the really little ones, I completely agree, Like there's there's no way, like I buy socks like every other week because where did they all go? So I don't match them for myself, but I do match them for my child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you're I'm the opposite because I'm a narcissistant. I don't care what they look like. My children are very sensitive about their socks. They're like what they don't First of all, they don't like to wear them if they're even like if they've been wearing them for like an hour and then come back in the house, they want them off immediately because they're like, they're dirty. Now, get them off of me. So very the sock regimen has to be disciplined in my household with these Wow, these little fuckers.
Speaker 5: Now, how often have I said that? Under my back?
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back, and we'll keep talking about the debate on Tuesday night? Was that already Tuesday? All right, we'll be right back, and we're back. And as we talked about yesterday's trending episode, you know, one of the big moments from the debate seems to have been Donald Trump claiming that Haitian immigrants are eating dogs and cats in Springfield, which one viewer noticed synced up perfectly with the Peanuts music. Another person synced it with the Simpson's song about like the Brothel episode where they're singing about Springfield and then the songs like in Springfield, and then it cuts to him saying, they're eating our dogs, they're eating our cats in Springfield. It's the source of a lot of great content, but does it hold up under journalistic scrutiny? What do you guys think? What's your guests? He did see it on TV, god, which he didn't also like, I just wish instead of being like, we talked to the like this official because like obviously the people who are willing to believe him are not like the type of people who are going to believe a county official. If you had just been like, where'd you what? TV? What'd you see it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you mean Facebook? When you say TV, you mean Facebook, and you mean the guy who said my neighbor's daughter's friend. Is that what you mean?
Speaker 3: I will just say this and I think this is maybe my only or most enduring legacy of the dailies, like Guys from the Top was this is a perfect example of the Gish gallop, which is he says one insane lie and I'm just you know, loosely looking at the amount of research to come and it is like, you know, easily twenty x the number of words to unravel his lie. No more like maybe like fifty x. Like it's just it takes so much longer to depunk something insane and blatantly lie than just like him saying it.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is an early Andrew T like early years of The Daily Like Andrew explained that there is a technique in debate like the like official you know.
Speaker 3: Or I know, yeah, but yeah, yeah, just like a thing that like creationists. I heard a pioneered by about Dwayne Gish, just serial creationist liar. Yeah, and he just say so many lies that you can't you bunk them in an amount of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like even if your brain wasn't like overloaded just being like what you know, like it would still to you so long to just debunk the madness.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, we're about to do that. We're about to take the time to debunk it. Yeah, because it does tie into just the overall incorrect assumptions underlying the rights a fear of immigration. And I feel like also the mainstream media, like the mainstream media just like allows them to have these assumptions like that there are too many people immigrating to the United States and that that's a problem, like they give they start from that point, And studies have shown that immigrants actually boost the economy by sparking innovation and driving up wages. There is actually, according to a lot of like economic theorists, a big shortage of immigration in the United States, like the United States isn't high. Like on a per capital level, the United States does not have a lot of immigration. And when you look at decades and decades of research, immigration is the thing that fuels the US, like in all the ways that the right wing likes to brag about, you know, it makes the economy go. And actually they are far less likely to commit crime, and like all these things that they claim to care about are actually drastically helped by immigration. And there's yeah, what would be helped with more immigration.
Speaker 3: But anyway, as not to give Republicans strategies, but like using the sample size of my family, they are exactly primed to be Republicans except for the racism, right, Like literally, if you just were racist, you would have these fuckers as a voter.
Speaker 1: Fuck like Lee's system, we will vote for you.
Speaker 3: It's so weird.
Speaker 1: Sorry, can't do it. Not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: But one of this is based on logic or facts. It's all about like it's all about you know, appealing to be to be able to escapego to population for the problems that they're not going to solve. Right, So you know, we have so much evidence that like Europe, for example, is facing a precipitous population decline, and the only reason the United States is not going to go through that is because of immigration, and that has all kinds of other impacts, but we do need immigration. So you know, this is not about logic, It's not about anything that makes any kind of sense at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it is worth explaining what the logic actually behind it would be I cared about that. So it is true that as many as twenty thousand Haitian immigrants have moved to Springfield, a town of around sixty thousand, and this was by design. The population of Springfield had trunk over the past several decades as businesses bailed on the industry in Springfield, which I believe was car manufacturing in the nineteen sixties. In nineteen sixty, the population was eighty thousand. So the influx of Haitian immigrants restored the population to what it was over sixty years ago. And by the way, that quote that I was reading earlier, immigrants boost the economy by sparking innovation and driving up wages and all that stuff. If you're wondering what left wing rag pointed that out, that's from the George W. Bush Institute. So yeah, but in twenty fourteen, city officials enacted a plan to woo businesses back to Springfield. It worked, but they didn't have enough workers to fill all the new jobs, and so they, you know, Haitian immigrants started moving to Springfield. They were in the country legally, they moved to the town in order to fill the gaping labor shortage. There's about eight thousand new jobs were created by twenty twenty and they have only increased since then. But there just weren't enough workers to fill them. And then a bunch of Haitian immigrants moved to town and it has worked out incredibly well. That there was a car accident that happened, an isolated car accident where a Haitian immigrant with a foreign license not valid in Ohio grammed into a school bus, killing an eleven year old boy. And that is the thing that you know, sparked this resident like Springfield backlash, where residents basically use the event as a springboard for you know, racist vitriol and false allegations and you know, people like want One quote from the time at a chamber meeting was, how do you know we aren't getting criminals, rapists and of course like that that echoes Trump perfectly, you know, and the.
Speaker 3: Way trying to find it. But also the kid's parents have come out and said, like, stop using this as like, yeah, against Haitians, So I stop using this incident, this tragedy.
Speaker 1: Yes, the father of the son, I think, was at a press conference being like Donald Trump and JD. Pants should shut the fuck up and not say my son's name anymore. And then in his name, yeah, not in his name exactly. So yeah. In the wake of the accident, Haitians were accused by some residents without evidence of drug trafficking, retail theft, and disease. People are saying Haitians are occupying our land. And then the pet thing happened because of a single Facebook post citing a story about and this is not an exaggeration. This is a story about the user's neighbor's daughter's friend, who the person claimed found her cat hanging from a branch at a Haitian neighbor's home being carved up to be eaten. But nobody that is completely unsourced other than the user's neighbor's dodger's friend, which.
Speaker 3: Meant les boomer credulity here it's so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I know, it is so embarrassing, and it's he's like Trump is kind of like a cartoon liar, you know, he's just like a guy who Yeah, he seems like a liar. And some people don't seem to mind that, but I am just like wondering him falling for that makes him look inept, you know, yeah, like just yes, so.
Speaker 3: But in a way that's like that's this is this is exactly who his like base loves, Like that's who they are. They are falling for it. So what's it's all? I just will say, like, you know, as a as an Asian person who also you know, is from a community that's been accused of eating pets. Sure, Like the the other critical thinking thing that's so bizarre is like do you know how many straight dogs and cats are? They're like even accepting the unbelievably racist premise like why would you why would like how stupid do you think these people are that they would take a pet.
Speaker 1: They would go into somebody's yard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's just like like even giving them all of the grace possible. The last step of like, well why would you bother with a pet is like kind of such an insane straw to me, I'm like, why, yeah, yeah, no, stupid, It's complete. There's so many other ways to get dogs and cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh trust me. Yeah no, sorry, Look, okay, I am part of a now maligned group in that I'm irish, and so is RFK Junior, and so yes, I'm part of a group that is being accused of eating wellco dogs and cats. And I guess with better with better evidence than this this particular.
Speaker 3: That is why you people do. As far as I can tell.
Speaker 1: There is a picture of one of our most famous people with like standing over a dog, like pretending to be about to eat it, also standing over a bear pretending to be about to eat it. So kind of kind of interesting that they've chosen this, this rumor to fixate on that. I feel like they might be a little bit like the fact that it was jd Vance, you know, who started this, and he like there has to be some sort of sibling rivalry like insecurity with jd Vance and RFK Junior, right, because like when RFK Junior like brought up the possibility of joining the Trump campaign, everyone was like, oh my god, that would have been such a better pick. And JD fans like, hey, so I don't know how it worked out that JD. Vance then was like I hear they're eating dogs and cats like some other guy that you might have heard of. But it's interesting. It's interesting. No, nobody really knows what's going on with JD. Vance at this point. I feel like he's got to be in a weird place right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, his his eyeliner guy's got to have some you know that that's where you really get the tea when you're like really putting on JD's face, Like, yeah, I really.
Speaker 1: Think, oh man, yeah, just the like untold documentary where about like JD Vance's eyeliner guy that we're gonna get is gonna be so good. But yeah, I mean one of the stories that's also rising up in Springfield is that they're taking the housing in the town. But of course this is just an issue of landlords raising prices because landlords suck, and because you know a bunch of people were coming to town who were willing to pay higher rent because they were, you know, filling jobs that needed to be filled. So yeah, according to the director of Springfield's Housing Authority, the new homeless in Springfield are people who can't afford to pay two thousand or three thousand dollars a month in rent, which is not the version that you're being told about in right wing check groups, which I spent a lot of time in because I am on Decente. So but yeah, so just a story about the values of immigration, you know, like immigration working to help prop up and improve the economy of a fading town, and that is obviously not how the right has chosen to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was reading this newsletter by w camal Bell, who's you know, the amazing comedian, and he does these interviews with the ACLU and some folks from the ACLU Immigrant Rights Project or division we're talking about. There was a statistic that they threw out that really stuck in my mind. They were saying that the right spends around thirty million dollars a year in anti immigrant like to prop up and propagate anti immigrant narratives, and like the pro immigrant narratives, you get about seven hundred thousand dollars a year being spent like intentionally in that way. And so there's just like a massive, massive, massive campaign going on to exploit this issue. And I feel like if like with the the situation of the school bus and the cats and dogs. It's like any little any little story that can be manipulated will kind of flow into these this like structure, these structures that have been created to propagate these narratives. And so we just have a lot of work to do on the side of you know, telling pro immigrant stories, which are actually just human stories of people being people. But there's a deeper problem going on if the if these little stories can like take hold in a town, then it wasn't okay even before the stories came up, right, Like, it's like we have so we have so much work to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do feel like it's also a failure of the mainstream media and they really just take the talking point that like immigration is a problem.
Speaker 5: A problem absolutely, as.
Speaker 1: Like the starting point of the conversation around immigrants, yes, rather than and I'd say, like also a problem with the mainstream Democratic Party that like this feels like a thing that you could take and be like, actually, we're not even going to engage you on this idea of immigration being a problem. We're gonna say it's actually one of our greatest strengths, and we're going to say that like here's how to like just account for it and like expect it and make sure the infrastructure is in place. So yeah, there so that there is enough housing when there's an influx of people coming to fill jobs that need to be filled.
Speaker 3: But every every like complaint from right wing people about like like this stuff always boils down to too much conservative shit is happening, Like if there was rent control right right right, It's God, it's such an unbelievable bummer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason that Springfield was such a hotbed for like the way they were able to like pitch themselves to these companies was that they said they touted the low cost of living combined with its location on two interstate highways between Columbus and Dayton. I'm just because Andrew, you're from bro Midwest, the Midwest, that Midwest, we think that is how So I grew up in Dayton for like five years, and we were always talking about the crime rate like being really high because of like because we're on these like two major interstate highways. Like people in the Midwest talk about highways the way like a wildlife expert talks about a river. You know, they're just like on the banks of the Grand three four Freeway, an oasis burst to life of shopping, balls and drug given.
Speaker 3: It's like what our version, the Midwest version of like a port is is the highway exit? Yeah, right, like all the benefits and the you know, alleged like detriments are you know, oh, just because too much stuff's coming in and out, godless, godless immigrants are teaching whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, guess it was actually always that it was coming down from Detroit and you're like, yeah, we're like the murder capital per capita in the US. I think that was like true for a year, and people who lived in Dayton were really proud of that fact. But they would also always be like, yeah, it's just you know, we're right on those two highways coming down from Detroit.
Speaker 3: So I just need one like high school level statistics class to be taught, like get the fuck out of here, Like oh yeah, might as a statistically significant sure, dudes, that's right, Like the hell out of here.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. And so, as we talked about on yesterday's trending, there seems to be a lot of people on you know, everybody on the left is like complete disaster for Trump. It was any anything from like the Trump equivalent of Biden's debate performance the first time around two I've seen it called Trump's nine to eleven. I guess maybe because it was the day before, but it's, yeah, like the the idea that it was disastrous, like is sometimes being openly acknowledged by both sides disastrous for Trump, and sometimes being implicitly acknowledged by the right who are claiming that the event was rigged. And of course there's the complaint that the moderators that he's out there playing three on one like they're they're trying to kill him by like fact checking the things he's saying. And then there's also the conspiracy theory that Kamala Harris's jewelry was telling her the right answers the whole time. Oh my god, I feel like would be so confusing, Like would be such a would be such a difficult thing to do, to have somebody in your ear telling you what to say as you're.
Speaker 3: It's a difficult skill to have the the whatever the fuck it is called that your ear wiged.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah lives that famous play that's about that it's like somebody's name is the spy movies. Definitely superducer. Victors think spy movies make it look easy, but there was I'll find it by the end of the story. But anyways, people think that no way someone would be that articulate good at debating. And it must have been the result of earphones embedded in her ear rings. Again, like just they're like girl ear rings. That's weird. What she must be cheating, which provided her with stealth coaching during the debate, because the earrings she was wearing clearly resembled the Nova h one audio earrings, which were sold on Kickstarter last year and sold as supposedly the first and only wireless earphones embedded in a pair of pearl ear rings. If you look at the news story with the headline I use these new smart earrings to listen to music. They totally surprised me, and you will be like, oh, yeah, these are the same fake news stories that you see on the side of like when you're at any sort of news site that's like a local news site that has just been like we give up on, you know, any sort of quality control. We're just we will take any ad that you want to give us. Dentists don't want you to know this one secret. You'll never have to brush your teeth again.
Speaker 5: My five year old definitely wants to hear that secret.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, God, which celebrity was hideous?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, you'll never, guess you'll never. When you see what she looks like today, your jaw will drop and then like a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker or like something, I know what they look like? Uh McLean? Why do children hate brushing their teeth so much? So much?
Speaker 5: It's like it's like they feel tortured by it. It's like, not, don't you like the feeling of having a clean mouth? I guess not.
Speaker 1: They hate it. They fucking hate that feeling. My five or my six year old this morning was like demanding to be paid for brushing his teeth. I was like, whoa, yeah, you talk. He's like, I mean, I don't you asked me every day to do this? Like he was, yeah, exactly, and be like it's called bitcoin mining. You want to earn your keep around here, stop going to school and get this. It's easy.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 1: Just gamify. You make it fun for the little fuckers. It's great.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the theory of the case here is that this the vice president of the United States, somebody who presumably has a campaign that has hundreds of millions of dollars, has access to like NASA and Pentagon Technology, went went on Kickstarter to buy a pair of Nova each one audio earrings because I guess they were both pearl earrings. Is the thing that Laura Lumer was pointing out, Laura Laura, Yeah, Total Nazi showed a picture of Kamala Harris's ear ring next to the I used these new smart earrings like spam ad So I don't know what do we think, guys, do we take away any credit we had been giving Kamala Harris for her performance because she cheats.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing. Here's the thing about the performance of the debate, Like there was all the things she said, and then there were the.
Speaker 1: Looks on her face, yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, like like she there was this one point especially where she gave this like oh poor Donald kind of look where like and he hates that, like it's it's they are these you know, it's almost a different form of a zinger h when it's like oh.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was yeah, and it can't what like that's why would you think you would need coaching for that? And this like there donald face tech wearable I mean, I will say also this is likely a version of the like eating pets thing, which is like how stupid do you think Kamala Harris is like why And she'd like do this in this way even if you you know, accept your racist ass premise, like like you can't. She could easily have a invisible your piece like or whatever, like any number of better ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Why get a kickstarter piece of wearable tech that, by the way, some people looked into it and nobody has ever gotten what like the people who invested in the kickstarter never got the kickstarter hearings.
Speaker 3: Bottom all India.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why she cornered the market, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Also like this thing that like somebody's Facebook message that of their friends, neighbor's daughter can start an entire series of like multiple like yeah, can get the former president to say something, can start like all these other news stories and this person like post sing something on Facebook or whatever platform truth social they were using, suddenly has us talking about it like we're talking about it. She did it, She got she got it out there in this way. And so it's also like how these little, you know, pieces of information can be considered some kind of a some kind of a you know, thing to investigate.
Speaker 3: It's it's because it's our pathetic media allow like some people saying to be a fact. So then it's like this is real, Like this pipeline has been so abused of, like a Twitter nazi says a thing that gets repeated by Breitbart, which then is like the pipeline to Fox News, which is then news. All of a sudden, it's like Fox News is like money laundering for racist lies. It's just like, because.
Speaker 5: I'm going to use that quote money laundering for racist lies.
Speaker 1: That was a good because accounts of how they like look for stories, and it really is that they just like go through blogs, racist blogs that they're probably already posting on. We saw like the Tucker Carlson's like main writer for the entire rise of his career was like outed as just being this like horrible racist like shit poster on like a law school forum.
Speaker 3: Yeah obviously, yeah, like where else would you get them? If I could steal three minutes of podcast time to awkwardly pivot into a question for mcleat loosely based off of well only because we learned during the break that she is up in San Francisco, and since tech wearables is in this I have this theory that the recent spate of tech wearable failures is down to income inequality on the streets of San Francisco, making it such that there's no more like teens to tell you you look like a nerd? Is that is there? Eddy? Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, Okay, first, like I'm just going to say, like, what do you mean by tech wearbles, Like you're like the classes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, because those are all crashing and burning. And I just had been beating this pet theory to death that I was like, I I was like, basically that like loitering could have saved the tech industry, but the tech bros are too stupid to realize it.
Speaker 5: I think that there are always teenagers ready to tell you that you look like a fucking tweet, that you look like like that has not changed, But I will say that, you know, San Francisco has the lowest population of kids under eighteen, or kids the people under eighteen than any major metropolitan city in the United States, and it's even increased since the pandemic in back. Next week they're going to announce this whole slate of like which schools are getting closed and merged because there are so many less students there were. So you are in fact correct that despite the fact that there are still teenagers ready to tell you that you look like a d weep, there are less of that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So but.
Speaker 5: Can I link Can I link that to the fall of tech wearables? I don't know if I can make that, but maybe if you make a blog post about it, it.
Speaker 1: Will become news.
Speaker 3: I'm here to make that irresponsible, politically motivated claim. But I'm not. I'm not. I'm just I was just like, God, this has just been a theorians in my brain forever.
Speaker 1: My neighbor's kid actually goes to Berkeley and his roommate's sister actually said that this is the case. So I think we're pretty hell yeah, yeah, I think back on this one. It's also I think a big trend with tech companies has been like that they create their own campus where, you know, their own like little universes where it's like you never.
Speaker 3: Have to leave.
Speaker 1: We have chefs, we have all these things, and like I think that that might be the equivalent of like when a famous person creates like a a home with a name that like they never leave like Neverland or Graceland or you know, like a and like that's always a bad sign, like they always become insulated from reality and start like going in weird directions. And you know, I feel like the tech world has that broadly in San Francisco, and then like yeah, at a smaller scale, like on Google's campus where like it's true, yeah, everybody epic.
Speaker 5: Okay, I did perform. I performed at Google once. This is a long time ago, and I will say that, you know, it was like the like my biggest well, actually I have two big memories of that. The first one was the food of like it is our sushi hour. May I offer you some sushi?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Why yes, you may offer They desire a cookie hour and all that. So there was that the food was like whoa. And the other thing was that the sound system totally failed.
Speaker 1: And I was the technology.
Speaker 5: Yes, the technology failed, and I was so there for it. I was like I'm living this irony. I'm soaking it up. And then we had a bunch of acoustic instruments. So we went from the stage to the grass and we made a circle around us and did the rest of the performance acoustic, and it was ten times better than it would have if been if the but anyway, but the other thing was like it it they all of this stuff is only meant to keep those people working, you know, so they don't have to leave. So it is exactly that. That's the same as the you know, the buses that that. So you're from your doorstep to your doorstep, not interacting with any community around you. You are like in the Google world from the minute that you your house. Yeh yeah, so you're totally right because I're.
Speaker 1: Inside a giant roving Google like pep rally.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, all right. I'll keep working on my thesis. But it's bally motivated and highly biased, so I don't know what's gonna happen with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, but it seems true, right, it feels correct the fact that it's like a historic like a children of men for school age children, like where there's just like not no, there's no school age children.
Speaker 5: It's it's weird, it's really weird.
Speaker 3: That's that is so wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting. Did they like bust them off once they started making fun of their shitty Google glasses? Where they like, we got to get these kids out of here. Amazing? Well, mclet, what a pleasure having you on the daily zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you, hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: You can find me follow me at macleat music dot com. That's also my all my handles are the same. It's m e k lit music dot com.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Yeah, And is there a work Amedia that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna be super selfish here, yes a moment, and I'm gonna call out the latest episode that we just released of the podcast Movement with My Fleet, because it features this woman who is a legend and who everybody should know. Her name is June Millington. She was the co creator and lead guitarist of the band Fanny, which was the first all women band to get a major label record deal, the first all women band to be on the Billboard Top forty. She herself is Filipina American and is like, uh, she's an absolute legend of American music and she's spent decades supporting women songwriters performers, founded a music school with Angela Davis like she's a genius, and it's just been mind boggling to me how people not enough people know about her. So the latest episode of our podcast features Jude Millington, so.
Speaker 1: We'll allow it. We will allow that selfish plug because it sounds awesome. Andrew, where can people find you? And is there a work a media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Man, Andrew t my podcasts, Joss Racist, We have. We've been doing premium podcasts on suboptimal pods, dot com and not. This is the self plug is I've been doing this podcast like a bonus podcast with enemy of my show, friend of this show presumably Jessica gal where she and I are? She She basically was like, Poker's all chance, So we're doing a poker versus scratch off tickets, who can win more money challenge on what Gallum blur the spoiler alert, I'm curb stopping her. So you are good at I'm playing ten cent poker. I'm not good at poker. I'm better than the people who play ten cents, better than chance at poker. Huh, yes, I'm better than chance and scratchers are minus.
Speaker 1: Ev I'm actually better. I'm better than chance at scratchers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got a system.
Speaker 1: By the way, for anybody who thinks like we're just making that up, you can go and read for days about various lotto and scratch ticket buying systems and you know the math behind it.
Speaker 3: There are exploits, but those loopholes tend to get closed. I will say, do they win? Like these? There you go? I mean the to me every time, every time I go, because I have weird, like weirdly stupid cousins who are literal, like you know, engineers, a literal rocket scientist in my family, who when they're in Vegas are like, I got a system, and I'm like, the counterpoint to your system is, look how nice the bellagio is. Like, if it was possible to take money out of this ecosystem by just some bozo's method, why exist?
Speaker 5: Why are the rooms here so cheap? Why are the flights here so cheap?
Speaker 1: Exactly, so much luxury, so little being officially paid for it in the normal way that one would pay for it.
Speaker 3: You don't. You don't have a system, I feel is.
Speaker 1: Kind of a system, right that it's just like annoying to do. Some people don't do that.
Speaker 3: I I so, actually this isn't the thing, but I have been shooting. I can find it. There's a couple car I'm not going to find it. Sorry, there's a couple of card counters on YouTube because actually tech wearables have gotten small enough that they're able to surreptitiously record their blackjack hands and do it over. No, they're not cheating. They are They're just like, yeah, it is, and it's card counting. I will just say, is trivially easy. The hard part is not going to hot and keeping keeping the bit up while while you're doing it. I guess I won't elaborate. You can YouTube it. The piece of media I've been enjoying is there's an anime on Netflix called Delicious in Dungeon that is about slaying monsters in a dungeon and then cooking and eating them. And there's nothing has ever been more up my alley than that.
Speaker 5: Wow, I feel that I know you better now.
Speaker 3: It goes from a sword and sorcery thing into a cooking show seamlessly, and it's so insane and I love it.
Speaker 5: That's nice, Okay to just to say a media that was not my shameless plug. I was watching I've been watching the show Extraordinary on Hulu and it is the funniest, funniest show that I've seen in a long long time. And I had a super hard August and it was like the like the light of my day, just like keeping me laughing. It's, you know, Irish. I find Irish people very funny, oh really great sense of humor. And it's like starring and written by this Irish whose name I can't remember, but it's called Extraordinary and it's on Hulu and it's like, I really highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: There you go. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian. The work of media I've been enjoying is uh the Simpsons thing. I'll link off to it of the episode about the House of Ill Repute opening in Springfield and then edited together with Donald Trump. I love the clip. I also love just the person who tweeted it at fear Gass Kelly. Ferg Gass fear Gass s e A r g h A. S Kelly tweeted with the thing, I better go super viral for this. He did?
Speaker 3: He did, Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: He called his shot, but like, I just like that as a sentiment to be like, I better fucking blow up for this.
Speaker 3: This is awesome work, I will say. Actually, the Peanuts one is The Peanuts one was by comedian Noah Garfinkel, who is you know, Jack AND's never met you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no I know. Yeah, yeah, really good. Yeah, And I actually didn't realize that was him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rather in a different vibe than this better go viral. This one I'm sure has gone more viral than normal for Noah, but he does this kind of shit all the time. So if you like this vibe, yeh like follow him? Yes?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily's Zeikeist. We're at v daily Zikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website Daily zeikeuys dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes where we look off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Super producer Justin Connor, is there a song that you think people should go check out?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm actually going back to my hometown in Chicago tomorrow for a little trip, and I usually throw this song on to one of the playlists for the flight because it's really relaxing and chill. And it also works really well with mclete being here because this is by an Ethiopian jazz musician. I think let you mentioned it was Ethiopian New Year's Today the day before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Happy New Year everybody.
Speaker 7: So this is this is a song called teta which pardon the pronunciation, I believe that how okay, which translates to nostalgic.
Speaker 1: And I just really love this track.
Speaker 7: I think I heard it in The Bear at some point, but it's very, very relaxing, very technically good jazz music, but just a really nice Sunday evening kind of vibe. So this is Mula and you can find this song in the notes.
Speaker 1: I don't know if The Bear should be nominated for Best Comedy stuff, but I do think it should be nominated for like best Playlist, because they have.
Speaker 5: Not yeah, not best comedy. This not best comedy this season.
Speaker 1: Oh this is intense, but but some good some good tracks in there.
Speaker 5: What a great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nonetheless, all right, well we will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all then. Bye bye,