Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 1: The air everywhere.
Speaker 3: The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mallor and Danny g Radio. Danny is on assignment, but he will join us this weekend for the other podcast. We have podcasts every day. We are in the sweatshop of audio content here at the iHeartMedia Building today, the thirteenth day of September, as we hang out with you and this podcast celebrating National Peanut Day.
Speaker 1: I am a.
Speaker 3: Big fan of the nuts. A big fan of the nuts meaning peanuts by the way, and yeah, we celebrate National Peanut Day. I've added that to my diet. Now. I don't eat a lot. I eat once a day. I'll skip a day now and again. But here's the thing, the peanut. I enjoy the peanut. At the end of my meal. I'll eat once a day. I usually eat some like grilled chicken, or I'll eat some like ribbi and rice or potatoes.
Speaker 1: I have a very boring diet during the week.
Speaker 3: I crank it up on the weekends and I'll have like something I actually enjoy, Not that I don't enjoy that stuff during the week, but I end my meal after I'm done eating, I have a little cup of nuts because it supposedly helps the peanuts help you lose weight.
Speaker 1: Now that might be total bullshoy or bull junk or whatever, but I read it and I'm lying. Okay, I'm in on it because I like peanuts. So I am celebrating a National Peanut Day, not nuts. But enough of that, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: This podcast available everywhere, the Extra Crispy, Extra Spicy Podcast, because four hours a night or not enough on the Overnight show, eight days a week. This is not not a sporty podcast. Not a sporty podcast. Once in a blue moon. Once in a blue moon do we do sporty. Okay, that is the reality of the situation. But this podcast is all about random things and the Friday Podcast. I have made an editorial decision that this podcast is a companion podcast. It is right for a true TV officia not to watching the latest episode of BVP. Gotta get used to saying that Benny versus the Penny, we shorten it to BVP uh and so so think of it like that. The Friday podcast will get you ready to watch the TV show. And the numbers have been pretty good so far, God bless you, and I really think that it's because of this, Because of the podcast is the radio show. I'm trying to incorporate you into the to the ecosystem here and it appears so far, so good. The ratings have been good for the TV show and from what I understand on the streaming, the numbers have been pretty good.
Speaker 1: So but we can do better. We can do better. You know, I want to. I want to be near the top there.
Speaker 3: So there's no question that they love the show and there's people watching and everyone's happy and all that.
Speaker 1: And so this is a companion podcast.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The reason we're going to call it that.
Speaker 3: It's a post episode debriefing for the Malord Militia, a post episode to briefing for the Malamiche. It's the unofficial official tie in podcast. The After Show which is a whole I was looking this up. It's a whole subgenre in entertainment and I was like, okay, so I have the platform and I'll use the platform. Why not if they if they do a Netflix show, then okay, they have a Companion Podcast and I'm like, well, we have a TV show, why don't we have that? So the after show is this, and we'll give you episode breakdowns of BVP. We'll have exclusive behind the scenes peaks at this week's episode of Benny Versus the Penny. We'll have all the plot twists, all the different theories on what's gonna happen, which games I'm gonna pick, and whatnot around the program and stuff that you will not hear anywhere else, keeping the conversation going and hopefully encouraging you to watch the TV show. And if you're already watching the show, thank you. This will just be an added bonus. So on this edition the Companion Pod, we've got Elvis or the Ghost of Elvis, bloopers and practical jokes, pecock perfection, the King of Random, and the Phrase.
Speaker 1: Of the Week.
Speaker 3: A lot to get to, but we'll start with this. So this week's episode, which will be up later today on the ENBC Sports regional cable networks around the United States in syndication. You can watch this show on our hub. The show is produced my guy Vinnie, who happens to be Felger and Maz television producer, is the producer of Benny Versus the Penny, and he's the guy that I worked together with in meetings and what not to get the show on the air. So Annie runs the show in Boston and he's the guy there, and that's our hub. So we've got NBC Sports Boston, NBC Sports San Francisco, NBC Sports Network in Philadelphia, also streaming nationally on Peacock.
Speaker 1: More on that in a minute. A Week two of.
Speaker 3: BVP again just hours away, starting to find our groove, starting to find our groove.
Speaker 1: The first week was a little rocky.
Speaker 3: Week two got a little better, and I thought, all things considered, this was pretty neat this week. And I got the least amount of sleep that I have ever gotten prior to an episode of Benny Versus the Penny, in part because of a schmooze cruise.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell that story.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna save that for the Saturday podcast when Danny g is back with me, but it involves an event that I was asked to be at and it just messed up my whole routine. But as far as we're concerned, so kind of take it behind the scenes. So preparing for the big show, this episode, unlike any other episode, very memorable.
Speaker 1: So I do the radio show as normal.
Speaker 3: I show up to Universal Studios, Hollywood, and I am dressed in my radio clothes. I used to change before I would go to the Universal Studios lot, but I'm like, well, I get there at an hour where there's no one there and so I can do what I want. So I show up. Now I'm that comfortable. I show up in my radio clothes. I then go in and change into my church clothes, my temple clothes, get all dulled up with makeup. We have the table read me and Looney Tunes. Now Looney Tunes, as we talked about in previous episodes of this podcast, Looney will show up.
Speaker 1: And you know this if you've listened.
Speaker 3: Loony shows up and he'd be a terrible Ninja or he would be the worst James Bond a double O seven imaginable because you always hear Looney before you see him, you always hear him because he's always talking anybody in the building, and he's memorizing people's names and making me look bad and all that stuff. I recognize faces, but I don't really remember names anyway. So Looney shows up, We do the table read. I'm all dulled up. I'm in my clothes, in my clown suit, and we go into the studio. So sit down, got the IFB and my left ear because that's my good ear. I've got my microphone on, Get all prepared, set my notes up, ready to go. Green screen behind me, lights, camera action. Not so fast, my friend, Not so fast, my friend.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, okay.
Speaker 3: As we were about to turn the camera on and we were in studio, we were about to start recording the A block of our one of episode three, second week of the NFL season. As we are doing this, we start, well, let's just say, we start experiencing something that was really weird. It was like the ghost of Elvis. Elvis Presley visited the building. It was shake, rattle, and roll. We had a four point seven earthquake in Malibubu. So the cameras are shaken, the lights are rattling, the chair is rolling. We'd never lost connection to Ball, so the line stayed up. We were still connected to Vinnie and the people that produced the show at NBC Sports Boston, So that was good. The other thing that freaked me out. And I've never gotten this message before. And I live in earthquake country, and I'm around earthquakes because I live here. I've had many of them my entire life, and I'll have many more.
Speaker 1: If I keep going here.
Speaker 3: But as the earthquake is happening, Looney says, we're having an earthquake. Everything's shaken, you know, the whole thing. And my phone starts buzzing Emergency alert, emergency alert text message.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the hell.
Speaker 3: As the earthquake is happening, it says, earthquake detected, drop cover, hold on, Protect yourself, USGS Shake Alert, USGS Shake Alert. So as I am there preparing for the TV show about to start the open saying hey, it's week three, thanks for watching, blah blah blah blah blah, earthquake happens, I get a text message at that moment. So Big Brother is watching. They know where you are, and they are ready to send you a message. And it reminded me of years ago in Hawaii, Aloha, remember the story that somebody effed up and they sent out a massive text to everyone in Hawaii that said, if I remember correctly, it was like ballistic missile threat inbound the Hawaii seek immediate shelter.
Speaker 1: This is not a drill.
Speaker 3: And so that is a lesson that God forbid we ever live and end times where armageddon actually happened and one of these assholes sends military like nuclear bombs out and destroys our world. That is how we will know the world's about. Then we'll get a text message that Melissa, missile coming inbound. That's how it's gonna go. You're gonna get a message on your iPhone or your droid telling you what's going on. Now. Anyway, with this, and we did the show, and speaking of that bloopers and practical jokes. Now, I bring this up because again, this is the official Companion podcast who the debriefing of the mall of militia behind the scenes stuff. So I'm giving you this and I'm not sure if it's in the show. What I'm about to tell you it might not be in the show. And if it's not in the show. You can send me a nasty message and say, hey, dumb ass, it wasn't in the show, and I'll say, Okay, you're right, I shouldn't have said that. But I haven't seen the show because I've been so busy with the radio stuff and preparing for this podcast. But I'm relatively confident, not one hundred percent, but I'm relatively confident that we had Looney Tunes Magic my favorite mom this weeks show. I'm going to tell you exactly when it happened. Again, this is I haven't seen the final cut, so it might not have been there. But we were doing the Patriot Seahawk game, which will be played on Sunday, and a couple of teams that are off to one or no starts, and I want you to listen to when Looney's there and watch Looney because he's doing the commentary setting me up to handicap the game. And it was in my head comedy goal because Looney's trying to be mister, you know, football guy, and he Looney's there for entertainment purposes only, and he's trying to be the football guy. And he said the thing you can't say at the time you can't say it. I thought it came across as pretty funny. I tried to clean up the spill on Aisle seven from Tom. I was like, this is a spill on Aisle seven. I better clean that up. So that'll be on today's show. And remember the premiere episode for today's show on our flagship NBC Sports Boston is six pm, right after Felger and Maz We're gonna really soak that. We're really gonna enjoy that. Soak that up because once the Celtics start playing, I'm guessing we're getting bumped. I'm guessing we're gonna get bumped. But that's prime TV real estate. It's also on NBC Sports Philadelphia tonight late night. Forget those late night shows. It's eleven thirty tonight on NBC Sports Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: We'll be on there.
Speaker 3: Also the first showing on regional cable television our friends in San Francisco in the Bay Area on NBC Sports Bay Area at twelve thirty pm this afternoon lunchtime. You can have a hogi and watch the show. And then again at six pm, just before the Giants, the Higantas take on the Pod Squad and they'll be pregame coverage after that. But we are on at six o'clock and as always, streaming on Taycock. That's right, the show streaming on Peacock now, with that as the perfect lead into this Malor follow up.
Speaker 1: Malard follow up.
Speaker 3: Mentioned this in a previous episode of the show. There was a bit of a quagmire, people complaining about the access on Peacock to the show, the soft underbelly of BVP, and if you missed last week's episode of the show something like this.
Speaker 1: It was a series of.
Speaker 3: Emails saying, what do we want Benny versus the penny on Peacock? When do we want it now? Well, your voice was heard. Now you are about to hear the rest of the story. It turns out that those chants are accurate. There ain't no power like the power of the people. Because the power of the people don't stop. Say what if we don't get no BVP, you don't get no peace? Well, good news. Let there be peace and harmony in the world. I'm very proud of you for complaining. I reached out to my contact at NBC, one of the senior management guys who's a big part of the show, who Tom called a consultant on last week's episode. But his name is John wonderful man, great guy. He used to work on the Philadelphia Phillies television broadcast. He's told me some great stories about traveling with the Phillies back in the day. They've had some crazy characters and when he did it, they were pretty bad, pretty bad Philadelphia Philly teams. But he's got great memories and he shared a lot of those with me, you know, a few times over the years. So that's pretty cool. So I reached out to John. I'm like, hey, John, we got a problem. Yeah, what's the problem? I said, Well, you know, I'm promoting the crap out of this TV show on the radio show. I'm trying to get people to watch, you know, and I'm getting these people that are complaining. They're like, I can't find it on Peacock and I'm like, well, one guy even said he reached out to customer service for Peacock and they said that they don't carry the show. And I said, this is making me look bad. And it's not even really about making me look bad. It's just like it's you know, it's bad customer service. And so Johnson, he said, you know you're right, He says, I couldn't even find the show and I work here and he's like a big boss at NBCs. I couldn't find it. He says, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna reach out to I have a contact who's at that part of NBC. I'm gonna reach out to them and hand a guy within a few hours, John, I don't know what he did by I kind of doing know what he did, but he fixed it. He solved the conundrum. The quagmire had ended, and it was one of those moments that's a small thing and you're like, well, who really cares? You know, It's like yeah, but it was a big deal. It was very refreshing. And now Alf the Alien, Opiner and Ferg Dog and Terry in England and Late Night Drug Tester and all you other guys that are pe ones. Now all you all you boys Masshole Mickey that listen to this show religiously and support what we do here. Blind Scott trying to trying to think who else that regular If I can only get the same service from my friends that are corporate here at iHeart right, because how long have we been trying to get that tire rack commercial change, the one that says winter is coming, that has been playing year round.
Speaker 1: So I've had I've had no success.
Speaker 3: I've sent multiple emails, I have sent text messages to people that should know that don't know. It's it's it's wild and crazy. It's wild and crazy. Well, we will get that fixed. I guess we don't have to fix it now because we're in September, it's almost fall, and then.
Speaker 1: It's going to be winter before you know it.
Speaker 3: So I guess they just leave it in, just just leave it right there, and and that's that right now. The King of Random, the King of Random. So I wanted to spend a few minutes on this now. Years ago, there was a YouTuber I watched a fair amount of YouTube stuff when I'm at the gym because I don't have all the different streaming things on my phone other than pretty much YouTube and like.
Speaker 1: Amazon, and that's about it.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I used to love this guy called the King of Random, but unfortunately he's dead now.
Speaker 1: He died years ago in a plane accident.
Speaker 3: It was flying some as I remember, he was a pilot, and then he became famous on YouTube. He made a lot of money, so he stopped being a pilot. But he was futzing around with an experimental plane, as I remember, and turned out the plane was experimental for a reason, did not work, and unfortunately he died.
Speaker 1: But he had a great YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: I think it's still around, but it's I haven't Once he died, I watched it for him, and that was that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's good people on there. Now.
Speaker 3: I assume I don't know, but I felt on this random hole of inventions that weren't supposed to happen that have changed the world. And I'm into this kind of crap.
Speaker 1: I'm into it.
Speaker 3: I like this kind of stuff. Last week we talked about the birthplace of the cheeseburger in Los Angeles, like Raindom, benign stuff like that. I mean, and you know, Danny's not here today, but he'll be in tomorrow. He knows the same thing. We're both into that kind of stuff. So with that said, here's a few that I found. And some of these I knew. Some of these I knew others not. Others were new to me, and I thought I'd enjoy this. You might have heard some of these, depending on how old you are, and how wise and how savvy you are. You might have heard some of these, but I think you'll you'll still appreciate it. How about penicillin. Pennascillin was discovered by somebody named Alexander Fleming do that is, but he was using some He was using a Petrie dish, and some mold became contaminated and in the Petri dish, penicillin, I think most of us know, is made out of moldy bread, and that turns out to be I'm allergic to penicillin.
Speaker 1: But for many people it's been a game changer.
Speaker 3: It's saved a lot of people lives, and it was discovered on accident when mold accidentally contaminated the Petri dish. The chocolate chip cookie, the epitome of a cookie is the chocolate chip cookie, created by the lovely Ruth Wakefield in the Commonwealth, who accidentally added chocolate chunks to cookie dough and the rest is history. All these years later, the chocolate chip cookie. The microwave oven was invented by this guy named Percy Spencer. After a radar melted his delicious chocolate bar that he was waiting to eat in his pocket. He went to eat the chocolate bar and all of a sudden it was melted. Like, wait a minute, we got something here, And sure enough, most homes have a microwave. Velcro Velcrow was inspired when Burrs stuck to this dude's clothing and it inspired him to create what became velcro. Coca cola is a famous one. Coca Cola was invented by a pharmacist in Georgia who was trying to create a headache remedy and had some cocaine in there and this tastes pretty good. Yeah, all these years later, they don't drink as much coca cola the unwashed, but still selling a lot of coke products.
Speaker 1: Potato chips, how about this one. I didn't know this one.
Speaker 3: Potato chips invented by somebody named George Crumb. And how did that go? Some customer was a schmuck and complained that his fries were too thick. So this guy, George Crumbs like, all right, you know what I'm gonna show you. I'm gonna cut these potatoes so thin. And then Cia liked those, buddy, and then that became the potato chip.
Speaker 1: Teta.
Speaker 3: You have vulcanized rubber Charles Goodyear. What a great name, Goodyear, Charles Goodyear. Thank god he didn't have a crap last name. That Goodyear brand all these years later, still very popular anyway, Charles Goodyear accidentally dropped rubber and sulfur onto a hot stove and abracadabra hocus pocused vulcanized rubber, just like that vulcanized rubber. There's some others, but those are some of the things here. That's from the you know, the rabbit hole in tribute and omah to that late YouTuber.
Speaker 1: The King of Random, the King of Random.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got to get to this. It is very important. The idiom. Actually no, the phrase the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: I the phrase of the week.
Speaker 3: All right, praise of the week without breaking a stride. This is from an emailer, Murray D says, Hi, Ben and Danny G. I was wondering where the phrase get out of Dodge comes from. That is Murray D, signed Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Murray, you have reached out to us a few times over the years, and you have a competitive advantage when I see that you listen to this podcast and the radio show in Saskatoon.
Speaker 1: One of the great names of a city.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to go down that that particular rabbit hole right now, but let me just tell you the Saskatoon name is right up there with Rancho, Cucamonga, beaver Dam, the Sheboygan. There's certain cities in places that are just wonderful, that are super califragilistic, XBALI docious, right as Mary Poppins would say, say, Murray, get to the point, please get out of Dodge.
Speaker 1: Get out of Dodge. Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: So the Malor Investigative Bureau was activated, was activated, and I did get some intel on this, so I will share it with you right now. The phrase get out of Dodge originated Is it about the Dodge automobile? No, it's not get out of a Dodge car. It originated in Dodge City, Kansas. The word or the phrase actually the phrase get out of Dodge, which is forwards. It originated over one hundred and fifty years ago. It was in the eighteen seventies, sometime in the eighteen seventies around that time. And if you're unfamiliar with the term, it's rather obvious. It's used to describe leaving a place that's uncomfortable or dangerous. Okay, it turns out that Dodge City, Canas never been I've been to Kansas, but I've never been to Dutch City, Canas. Dodge City was a cowtown in the eighteen seventies, and there were cowboys in the eighteen seventies, right, I think about the Industrial Revolution and when cities really started being built up. It wasn't around that time, but it was a little later on. So anyway, in the eighteen seventies, you had the cowboys out there doing their thing, and they would bring the cattle to the railroads in Dodge City, and they would go there because they'd have to ship the cattle to the East.
Speaker 1: So the good people of.
Speaker 3: Boston and New York and Philadelphia and Washington and all the other eastern cities had access to the cattle.
Speaker 1: To eat their meat.
Speaker 3: And it became because of this a boomtown.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How crazy is that?
Speaker 3: Dodge City, Kansas in the eighteen seventies, what's considered.
Speaker 1: A boom town? Like that's that's kind of cool, right, I don't think of that now.
Speaker 3: But the other thing is, because of the fact that they had the railroads and the cattle and all that was a boomtown, but it was also known as a deep dark place, one of the most dangerous cowtowns in the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Dodge City.
Speaker 3: Now the reason, as the legend goes the legend of Dodge City. It was ruled by Bat Masterson. That's a great name. That sounds like his fake name, Bat Masterson. And Wyatt Earp. Now I know who Wyatt urpis. We all know who Wyatt Urpi is, right, I mean, that's a that is a big one.
Speaker 1: That is a big one. In the cowboy Jacques, that is a absolute big one.
Speaker 3: Anyway, these guys, if you don't know, they were the most feared hoodlums, desperadoes, peace officers.
Speaker 1: But the phrase was also used.
Speaker 3: What really became mainstream was in the dramatic television series gun Smoke, when the heroes wanted villains.
Speaker 1: Out of Dodge City. You gotta get out of Dodge City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I looked up some other fun facts Murray, since I started going down this rabbit hole about Dodge City, Kansas.
Speaker 1: This is the great Murray and Saskatoon.
Speaker 3: The first building built in Dodge City was a log cabin saloon called the White Elephant Saloon.
Speaker 1: What a great name. What a great name like that?
Speaker 3: A lot and Dodge City at one time or another in many of those who participated in the Dodge City War. There was a Dodge City War in eighteen eighty three, so that's after get out of Dodge became a thing. But this was a city of debauchery. They had the saloons, the gambling halls, the brothels. There was a place called the Long Branch Saloon and the China Doll brothel. That just sounds city. That just sounds a CD. The town was named after Colonel Samuel H. Dodge, who helped to establish it as the as a city in eighteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: So that's some fun facts.
Speaker 3: And the amount of people that live in Dodge City, Kansas today, how many people do you think lived there? Do you have a guess? Murray in Saskatoon. Now, this town that is known as a wild frontier town of the Old West, currently has an estimated popular of less than thirty thousand, less than it's about half the crowd in an NFL game, about half the crowd an NFL game, and it's called the wickedest little city in America. Got a bunch of nicknames. The cowboy, Cowbody, Capital of the World, King of Cowtowns. I've been going on and on. So there it is, Dodge City. I don't know that it'll ever be there, but that's it. Thank you very much, Murray, thank you for listening. Have a wonderful Friday. Don't forget Benny Versus the Penny streaming. The new episode will be up later today on Peacock. Check it out. And if you've got kids, if you've got grandkids, if you've got cousins who have Peacock and they kind of like you, hey say, can you do me a solid. There's this guy that I kind of like. Don't tell anybody. His name's Malar. He's a gas bag, he's a blowhard, and he'd really, we really like you to watch the show and tell him this. Tell if they're not into gambling, maybe they're religious, they're they're not into football, they're not sporty people like us.
Speaker 1: Just tell them. Here's what you do.
Speaker 3: You turn the Peacock on, You turn on Benny Versus the Penny, press play. You then put the remote control on the coffee table. You then go to the bathroom and drop a deuce, or you go to the kitchen and you eat some eggs or you have a snack.
Speaker 1: I don't care what you eat.
Speaker 3: And then about a half an hour later, you walk back and then you resume watching. Or how about this, you're gonna go out and run some errands today. Maybe you're gonna go to the store, maybe you're gonna go out to dinner or something like that, whatever it might be, before you leave, hit the button boom, Benny versus the penny.
Speaker 1: Play that now.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have you watch the show and the people that you tell watch the show, but I'm willing to accept that they at least press the button.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to accept that. Hey, we have a wonderful rest in your Friday. Enjoy this. It's the thirteenth day of September. Don't forget.
Speaker 3: We also have the original recipe Ben Malershow podcast that is up as well. But enjoy your day and we'll have new pods. Danny ge is scheduled to be back with me tomorrow. We'll talk about that schmooze cruise that I didn't get to today that I save for the Saturday pod, and a whole bunch more. Anyway, have a wonderful, wonderful day, and we will catch.
Speaker 1: You next time.
Speaker 3: And what does Danny say, Oh, that's right, Austa Asta, did I.
Speaker 1: Do it right? I think I did it right. I did it right right wrong? No, all right later, skater gotta murder, I gotta go