Speaker 1: It's Me Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. There is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing. I'm your host, spent to New Arth and today we're joined by Randall, Seth, Corey, Nate, Marge and Omar. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. Meat Eater Trivia is brought to you by one of my favorite beers, bush Light Head for the Mountains. All right, we're starting today's episode with a mail bag question. Hello, my name is Jefferson, and I have a question for the crew. I'm going to be a new father within the next few weeks. I understand that with a newborn and working full time, it'll be tougher to get into the woods and on the creek. What advice do you have for balancing hunting and fish with work plus a newborn. Corey, as the senior most outdoorsman in here with a child, what advice do you have for Jefferson? And then we're gonna hear from Seth who's had a baby for how long?
Speaker 3: Seth?
Speaker 1: Can I guess what your advice is?
Speaker 2: And we'll hear from Omar who's had a baby for how long?
Speaker 4: Seven months?
Speaker 2: Okay, Corey, sure, Randall, let's hear it.
Speaker 5: So how do you balance family, fishing and hunting and work and that work slide right?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't know, slip a little.
Speaker 6: I mean, gosh, that first year, my wife's a saint. I was I guided nine weeks when my son was whatever, six to nine months old, and she did everything.
Speaker 2: Not guiding people in like goose pits.
Speaker 6: Right, guiding elk hunters like five days at a time. And I'd come home for a couple of days and just keep the breast pumps sanitized, keep the house clean, keep the wife happy, assuming there's a baby mama. That's usually how it works, right in my experience, I think, so, yeah, keep mom happy and balance, and if you can, I mean, if the weather permits, bring him with you.
Speaker 2: How old is Prince Marshall? Right now, he's doing good.
Speaker 6: He's eight eight, he's thriving, he's shooting a boat and getting ready about years.
Speaker 2: One through eight then beyond just that that first year, Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, balance with your partner best you can, you know, make sure she or he whatever gets their time, and then you go get yours.
Speaker 2: Seth hasn't quit fish in one bit since he's been it's been.
Speaker 7: A struggle to put my days in.
Speaker 2: What advice do you have for Jefferson?
Speaker 3: You know, just when you are.
Speaker 7: Home and and and around and available, just help as much as possible. And then, uh, like Corey said, my wife's a saying she's letting me get away with far more than I probably should be able to get away with. But I think Virgil was a week old when I drove to South Dakota.
Speaker 3: But to pick up a boat.
Speaker 7: And then went on a fishing trip shortly after that. One thing that's helpful for us is as far as fishing is, like all my fishing buddies, their wives are friends with my wife, and they all have young kids too, So like trying to plan a trip fishing trip, family trip, flash fishing, we all just end up at a place on a lake, you know, or like this past weekend we fished a tournament and the wives.
Speaker 8: Like hung out with the kids during the day while we fished. It was you know, there's ways around it, just I don't know.
Speaker 3: You kind of got to feel it out and figure out what's going to work for you and your family.
Speaker 2: Sat is competing in two tournaments since he's been a dad.
Speaker 3: Yet, well one and one legit one yeah was kind of made up, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, omar any advice.
Speaker 9: You know, we got this calendar. It's like a you know, Google calendar at home. We got this calendar back back home. It's a lunar calendar. So I'll like set aside, like my plans well in advanced before I know it, you know, kind of like we do out work. So you know, I got Alaska Caribou coming up August seventh through the eighteenth, and she kind of knows it.
Speaker 4: And then the weeks and days leading.
Speaker 9: Up before that, I'm just trying to be present around as much as I can help with the baby.
Speaker 4: And then September is packed too.
Speaker 9: I think'm gonna be gone from the second all the way to the end September on you know, personal trips and work trips. So just making sure it's like known, communicated and we're on the same page. And you know, one thing I think is key to that, like Seth talked about, was like your wife having support around there too to you know, if something does come up, you know she's got friends or families she could reach out to. I know it's not always the case for everyone, but you know, friends help a lot, a lot. And uh but I think at the end of the day, like baby's gonna be fine. Go and get some meat. You're providing too.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, if you have the means, say you want to go on a week long hunting trip or fishing trip, and you have the means to buy your mother in law a plane ticket, yep, and come out and hang out while you're gone, that's that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, it's taking notes over there soon, dad, Yeah, big notes. Thank uh Yeah. If you have a question you want us to answer, send your question to Trivia at the Medeater dot com with the subject line mailbag. All right, a little bit of housekeeping before today's show. On August thirteenth, at the Milwaukee Meat Eater store, I'm going to be hosting trivia from six pm to eight pm. There's a grand prize of one thousand dollars. Teams of up to four people can compete, but solo players are also welcome. Spots are limited If you want to play, go to the medeater dot com slash events to sign up again. That's August thirteenth at the Milwaukee store, and then two days later, August fifteenth, at the Minneapolis meat Eater store. Me Clay, Brent, and Tony will be there for a meet and greet for the grand opening. I will be shaking hands and kissing babies from ten am to two pm. We have gifts for the first one hundred and fifty people and prizes that are given away every hour. That's August fifteenth at the Minneapolis store. For more information, go to the meadeater dot com slash events. A right, today's episode is brought to you by Mountain Dew and thanks to them, you are getting some extra trivia this week. Between questions five and six, we'll have two bonus questions thanks to our friends at Mountain Dew. All right, the Shelby Index for today is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop Phil.
Speaker 1: Look, I need to know what I stand under? Win everything? How's it just tend to win everything?
Speaker 7: Demon Suckers?
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is fishing This first great question is via Joseph Pate, and as always, this will be multiple choice. This state is famous for America's Biggest Jubilee, an annual event where thousands of bottom dwelling sea creatures swarm into very shallow water. Is it Alaska, South Carolina, Hawaii or Alabama? The room is stumped.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you where it ain't.
Speaker 2: This state is famous for America's Biggest Jubilee, an annual event where thousands of bottom dwelling sea creatures swarm into very shallow water. Your four states are Alaska, South Carolina, Hawaii, or Alabama. Nobody seems to know this one. We're gonna have six guesses in the room. America's Biggest Jubilee, an annual event where thousands of bottom dwelling sea creatures swarm into very shallow water. Alaska, South Carolina, Hawaii, Alabama?
Speaker 10: Is this like Jubilee for a specific creature.
Speaker 2: We will talk about. I'll give you some examples after this, but it's just sea creatures. Sea creatures is all I'm going to tell you right now.
Speaker 1: Mermaids.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says Alaska, Omar, Alabama, Randall, South Carolina, Corey, South Carolina, Nate, South Carolina, Marge, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: I just thought it sounded like a place where jubilee.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Alabama.
Speaker 3: That's the Jewbilee.
Speaker 2: The Mobile Old Bay Jubilee happens every summer. It occurs due to a combination of hot weather, calm winds, heavy rain, and incoming tides. When those factors line, thousands of flounder, eels, sting rays, blue crabs, and shrimp move into ankle deep water. The vast majority do you survive, but some are harvested by humans and other predators. The Mobile Bay Jubilee is second in size only to the Tokyo Bay Jubilee.
Speaker 1: I want that.
Speaker 4: Is that where real tide comes from?
Speaker 2: Tied maybe I.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 2: Thinking we're looking at a photo now of some folks out gathering at a jubilee. I want that, And it is just what I described. That's how the picture looks.
Speaker 3: That looks like one of those photos of like a crawlfish boil.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have all this on the table.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: And I think they have multiple jubilees a year, and I believe the first one just happened recently.
Speaker 8: Every year somewhere around I want to go down.
Speaker 2: That's good stuff. Cool. Question to the topic is wildlife. The front The four front chompers on a beaver are this type of seven letter tooth. The four front chompers on a beaver are this type of seven letter tooth. Randall has his mojo back after getting question one wrong. He seems to have question two right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just figured. Oh, second on my list of jubilees.
Speaker 2: M hm again, second biggest in the whole world is the Mobile Bay.
Speaker 11: You believe, so, I think we should aim to go to the Tokyo Bay.
Speaker 3: You believe.
Speaker 2: My understanding is that one is magnitudes larger.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love to hear that.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what a jubilee was two minutes ago, and now I'm planning my year around it.
Speaker 2: The four front chompers on a beaver are this type of seven letter tooth. Cory, you got this one right.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Earthquake pun I wasn't going for one magnitudes.
Speaker 8: I almost said something to you, nadright, you joke about earthquakes?
Speaker 2: It is everybody ready. The four front choppers on a beaver are this type of seven letter tooth spelling doesn't count. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says cutters omar without an answer, Randall incisor Corey incisor Nate incisor marge without an answer. The correct answer is incisor. Incisors are only found in mammals. Most mammals have them, with some exclusions being manatees, anteaters, and bay leen whales. The biggest incisors in the world belong to elephants, which grow them in the form of tusks. Question three. The topic is cooking. This next great question is via mark lot. The seven supposed types of snapping turtle meat are pork, shrimp, chicken, goat, beef, veal, and blank. What really digging in the bottom of the bag here?
Speaker 11: Are you gonna write any questions yourself?
Speaker 2: There are seven supposed types of snapping turtle meat. I gave you six of them. You need to tell me what the seventh is. The seven supposed types of snapping turtle meat are pork, shrimp, chicken, goat, beef, veal, and blank. What was the shelby in deck four?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I understand this question.
Speaker 2: The right. A seventh type of protein is said to be on a snapping turtle. I've given you six of them. They say, Well, this part is where you get the pork from, and this one's a shrimp, and this piece is the chicken. There's a seventh type of protein that you will supposedly find on a snapping turtle pork, shrimp, chicken, goat, beef, veal, and blank. Interesting, I've had snapping turtle, I've butchered them, I've cooked them. You have to really use your imagination to find all seven types on a snap Yeah. I think for the most part, he'd be like, this is like kind of a trick question, pork shrimp adjacent. It is not not a trick question. It's not a trick question. The seven type of meat isn't like seagull or something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh oh dang, changed my answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's everybody ready.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna change.
Speaker 2: The seven supposed types of snapping turtle meat or pork, shrimp, chicken, goat, beef, veal, and blank. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says fish omar fish, Randall, fish, tory fish, Nate, gator, marge Vega, I almost put gator just erase. The correct answer is fish. Of our six players got that one right. The yield off of a snapper is about thirty five percent, so a twenty pound turtle would produce seven pounds of boneless meat. Because the cleaning process is rigorous and snappers have long life spans, it's recommended you don't keep ones smaller than ten pounds. Kooby Brown describes it as quote along the lines of pork with a little bit of seafood edge. You can read his article on the medeater dot com called how to catch, clean and Eat Snapping Turtle.
Speaker 10: Seth and I were just talking about our pet snappers.
Speaker 2: Hmm, never ate them though, good thing.
Speaker 8: Steve isn't here. He'd go on about Ali used to cat and sell.
Speaker 10: This episode.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is biology. A polydactyl animal has extra blank. A polydactyl animal as extra blank. Randall, I don't know what that is, already has his answer, Doctor Randall. Nate is joining him. Nate, do you have this one right?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: No, A poly don't give me hints has extra blank?
Speaker 10: Mhm.
Speaker 2: Is anybody eating snapping turtle in here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: They had some big ones though up at oh, like the woods, like the woods grow.
Speaker 2: I think you saw them hanging out and sh swimming under the docks. Man, I love a snapping turtle.
Speaker 11: One swam out behind the boats and it was mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It was a giant.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite animals in the world. If I got to have a sports team where I got to like create the mascot and it was in the appropriate place, they'd be the snappers for sure, be unique. No one else is doing a snapping turtle mascot. A polydactyl animal has extra blank. Cory, you got this one right? No, Phil, would you get this one right?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think you would if I had it right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a hint too much credit handle it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says extra wings, Omar eyes, Randall Toes, Corey, Genitalia, Nate arms, Marge fingers. The correct answer is digits or fingers are toes. So you said fingers toes. We're not going to accept Genitalia on this one. So Randall and March got that one right. The most common polydactyl animals are domestic cats and dogs and laboratory mice. It also happens in farm animals such as pigs, sheep, horses, and cattle, and even rarer is when it happens in wild animals such as primates, guinea pigs, kangaroos, foxes, camels, and alligators. Polydactyl is a genetic mutation that is amplified by inbreeding.
Speaker 1: Here there's a bunch.
Speaker 5: Of cats and key West.
Speaker 1: Cats and that's what I thought Phil might.
Speaker 2: Note from all polydactyl that is a polydactyl critter. Question five The topic is conservation. This next great question is via Mark Hooper, how much does a duck stamp cost in twenty twenty six? Coming up on duck stamp purchasing season, how much does it cost in twenty twenty six? This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after this, and then we have our mountain dew questions of the week. Exciting how much does a duck stamp cost in twenty twenty six? Has anybody purchased theirs?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Now nope, I couldn't tell you how muchuld cost in twenty twenty five either, Like.
Speaker 2: A postage stamp not giving you any hints, Marge, how much does a duck stamp costs in twenty Before you got in the room, Marge, we were singing your praises for being the current champion. JABBRONI thank you not doing so good?
Speaker 8: Give given your your office made up there you should I feel like you should know this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since Max.
Speaker 2: Barta's raising a baby right now, you know.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately it doesn't come up in common com.
Speaker 2: In question five, how much does a duck stamp cost in twenty twenty six? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth twenty five dollars, Omar two dollars and sixty cents Randall twenty five, Corey twenty five, Nate fifteen, March a Buck twenty five. The correct answer is twenty five.
Speaker 3: Erase there, yeah, and the of our players.
Speaker 2: Got that one right. The last time the duck stamp price changed was in twenty fourteen under President Obama. That year, the price jumped from fifteen dollars to twenty five dollars, raising an additional sixteen million dollars for wildlife habitat. Prior to that, the price hadn't changed in twenty three years, the longest in duck stamp history. So they changed the price about once a decade for a long time, and now we're twelve years since the last price change. We are due again for that increase.
Speaker 5: With inflation that's doing less, you know, Phil Scoreboard, ad bring everybody down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a stamp, Marge that ninety eight percent of the funds generated from the duck stamp is earmarked.
Speaker 11: For habitat Tell her about ding Darling, go for Randall.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just joking, Phil, Scoreboard, I'd love to here.
Speaker 8: At halftime, we've got Nate and Maggie on the board with a single digit Seth and Omar have two, Corey has three, and right there at the Shelby index is doctor Randall with four points.
Speaker 2: The train is back on the tracks. Yeah, and now outside for the Mountain Dew Questions of the week. Thanks to Mountain Dew, you get some bonus trivia in this week's episode, just does not count towards your scores, just for bragging. Right here they are. The first question is conservation. The US Fish and Wildlife Service and Mountain Dew. We're both created in what decade? Is it the nineteen twenties, the nineteen thirties, the nineteen forties, or nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: I usually skip over those coming don't count.
Speaker 2: It does not count towards your score.
Speaker 8: Here's the thing. I can't put that up there because the answer was up there. I saw it. I was just gonna ask. I was like perfect fitness was a dead giveaway.
Speaker 2: The US Fish and Wildlife Service and Mountain Dew were both created in what decade nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties, nineteen forties, or nineteen fifties. Was the answer in the.
Speaker 3: Mind is okay?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 12: Says the forties, Ohmar forties, Randall forties, corey forty eight, Nate forties, great since forty eight, everyone got it. The correct answer is the nineteen forties. Well done, room. You found the context.
Speaker 2: Clues of just the straight up answer on the cannon logo. All right, here's the second one. This is the Mountain Dew mountain man question. This two time Oscar winner portrayed Jeremiah Johnson in the nineteen seventy two film Jeremiah Johnson. Brought to You by Mountain Dew, established in nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 4: I don't think that one's.
Speaker 2: Not on the can this time. That would be weird. This two time Oscar winner portrayed Jeremiah Johnson in the nineteen seventy two film Jeremiah Johnson. Phil, I bet you'd get this one right.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 8: Okay, does mount du say about anybody to do the new or is it different? No tasting Grayson's forty eight?
Speaker 1: Oh great?
Speaker 2: Since forty eight? It's everybody ready for who played Jeremiah Johnson? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth, Robert Redford, oh Mar, Clint Eastwood, Randall, Robert Redford, Bob Redford, Nate.
Speaker 11: Marge As, I have worked here longer and all of you.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what.
Speaker 2: I think Clint Eastwood was maybe considered for the role and it would have been you know, much different film.
Speaker 11: Of that answer, the correct answer was Steve that you didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Those were the Mountain Dew Questions of the week. Enjoy the refreshing citrus kick of Mountain Dew and American original tasting Great since forty eight. Question six, the topic is hunting. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Alexi Horner for sending this great question. Alexi is going to get a one hundred and fifty dollars first like gift card. If you want a chance to win the Listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. A family member of this gun brand built the San Jose Mansion with a bizarre layout that features staircases leading to ceilings and doors that opened to blank walls. A family member of this gun brand, I built the San Jose man with a bizarre layout that features staircases leading to ceilings and doors that open to blank walls. Marge, and have you been?
Speaker 8: I want to go there?
Speaker 2: Sydney's there, San Jose, California. That's right, Omar? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Omar?
Speaker 4: No. Randall was too fast hit in his answer.
Speaker 2: His answer is not on the cans either.
Speaker 10: Come on, do you know this Nope, I've heard it and I can't place it.
Speaker 2: Filled the engineer. Would you get this one right?
Speaker 3: I would?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Ok, mostly just because it's a weird house. Oh not because I know anything about the gun brand.
Speaker 1: And you're into the paranormal.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, I mightn't do it.
Speaker 8: You mean, I'm incredibly skeptical, but it tickles me.
Speaker 2: Then Yes, A family member of this gun brand built the San Jose Mansion with a bizarre layout that features staircases leading to ceilings and doors that open to blank walls. And we've got some pictures to look at of the mansion. After I read.
Speaker 4: I was allegedly born in Santo California?
Speaker 1: Is that what your birth says?
Speaker 4: That's what it actually says.
Speaker 9: Oh goody, I don't want to believe it.
Speaker 2: Okay, where do you think you were born?
Speaker 4: Don't Washington be cool?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's feel like in your hot Yeah, yeah, it's everybody ready.
Speaker 10: I'm changing it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth, says Remington, Omar Winchester, Randall Winchester, Corey Browning, Nate Smith, and Wesson, Marge Winchester. The correct answer is Winchester. The Winchester Mystery House was built by Sarah Winchester, the widow of William Winchester, who served as president of the company. Sarah spent the final thirty eight years of her life building the mansion, with construction stopping in nineteen twenty two. The Gothic style building has twenty four thousand square feet, ten thousand windows, two thousand doors, one hundred and sixty rooms, and forty seven stairways. The building is filled with architectural curiosities like doors that open to multi story drops or windows on the floor. Sarah also had an obsession with the number thirteen, which is featured throughout the house. According to author Susie Smith, Sarah thought she was being haunted by the ghosts of people killed by Winchester guns, and a medium told Sarah that she needed to build a house for the spirits. So here we are looking at some of the photos and the weirdness that exists in this mansion. There's the door to nowhere. You walk out that and you'll fall right off the roof of the building.
Speaker 11: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Some stairways that appear to just be built on top of each other.
Speaker 4: It looks like a safety hazard.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know if oshit would be cool?
Speaker 5: Is that Susie Smith? Is that the book that came out like ten years ago?
Speaker 2: I don't know when that book was written, but yes, Susie Smith is the title of it. I don't don't have that in front of me here and Randall, in his answer, had Sarah Winchester, he knew the widow Winchester who built that mansion.
Speaker 5: There's a book about Winchester and sort of the mid century growth of the arms business, and it began with a long opening chapter about Sarah Winchester in the house.
Speaker 2: I think Susie was maybe just covering the house, and so I'm guessing that's not the same book. Question seven, the topic is woodsmanship. This seven letter North American desert is considered the wettest desert in the world. This seven letter North American desert is considered the wettest desert in the world. Oh, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 11: I have a seven letter desert spencer.
Speaker 2: He's keeping the perfect game for question two through seven, going then, yeah, that first.
Speaker 5: One really the Jubilee, which is tough because I thought that was a fun question.
Speaker 2: We do need to go experience it. The problem is, I don't think you'd know when it's gonna happen until it just like happens, So we couldn't really like we should. We'd have to be on standby. We'd have to have a PJ line.
Speaker 5: I was literally thinking PJ right now. I barely fly commercial anymore.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: Question seven, the topic is woodsmanship. This seven letter North American desert is considered the wettest desert in the world.
Speaker 1: Or we could just go live in Alabama.
Speaker 8: For when we were talking about a polydactyl animal with extra digits. My youngest son has a bifed uvula. I don't know if you know what it's basically you feel, but there's too little so like to be crass. It just looks like a scrotum is hanging in the back and got like two little balls back.
Speaker 2: Is that just an aesthetics thing or does it like have some impact on his really.
Speaker 8: Just like a weird a weird abnormality.
Speaker 5: That when I see him next, I'm gonna lip him like a bass and check that thing out.
Speaker 2: Don't grab the wrong child, see if I'm about stranger danger. Seven letter North American Desert is the wettest desert in the world. Omar, you got this one right.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, but I'm gonna give a shot.
Speaker 2: Cory, you got this one right.
Speaker 11: I got six letters, but I hope I spelled it wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the attitude. It's everybody ready, good chance, go ahead and reveal your answers. Set without an answer, Omar Sonoran, Randall, Sonoran, Corey Majave Nate without an answer, Marge without an answer. The correct answer is the Sonorian. The Sonoran Desert encompasses about one hundred thousand square miles across Arizona, California, and Mexico. The desert is unique and then it has two wet seasons that run from December to March and July to September. This is because it's at a crossroads where it gets winter storms from the Pacific Ocean and summer monsoons from the Gulf of California.
Speaker 3: Randall and I have spent some time in that desert together.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I can't wait to go back.
Speaker 4: To doing what can you guys still taste of free holes?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh oh yeah.
Speaker 13: And we're looking for the coups that will that be in the Sonoran. Yeah yeah, Ron to question eight. The topic in.
Speaker 2: The cons.
Speaker 10: As Central American.
Speaker 2: Julia Roberts stars in this two thousand legal drama about a twice divorced single mom who uncovers that a utility company is poisoning the town owns water supply. Randall and Corey quick to answer this one. Julia Roberts stars in this two thousand legal drama about a twice divorced single mom who one covers that a utility company is poisoning the town's water supply.
Speaker 8: Philip, this movie, Uh yeah, I want to say more about it, but it might give it.
Speaker 2: A Okay, you give us a review of this movie after the I haven't seen it.
Speaker 11: She's back in the news.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not aware what for good or bad?
Speaker 1: Just getting after it. Okay.
Speaker 11: I just listen to podcasting, Nate.
Speaker 2: Do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 10: I just listened to a podcast as lad. I can't remember the name.
Speaker 1: Two movie questions.
Speaker 2: He's the other one?
Speaker 3: Good thing?
Speaker 11: Brody?
Speaker 1: That my mountain?
Speaker 2: That was a mountain man question under the mountain man category?
Speaker 3: Do you so bad at these questions?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 4: I'm sure see, I don't really watch movies that much.
Speaker 5: I like this Friday afternoon thing because I think I don't know if Brodie's conflict is ongoing.
Speaker 11: But uh, I'd like to keep doing this. Yeah you would at this time.
Speaker 2: I like this because we're gonna go drink some bush lights after this. Oh yeah, Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Randall got a twinkle in his eye when you heard that. Julia Roberts stars in this two thousand legal drama about a twice divorced single mom who uncovers that a utility company is poisoning the town's water supply. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Seth and Omar without answers, Randall, Aaron Brockovic, Cory, Aaron Brockovic, Nate Spotlight, Marge without an answer. The correct answer is Aaron Brockovic.
Speaker 10: She was just on Sean Ryan.
Speaker 2: Aaron Brockovich is a real person and her legal case is a real story. In nineteen ninety three, she discovered that Pacific Gas and Electric Company was polluting the groundwater around Hinckley, California. Brokovic had the realization after locals were experiencing a high rate of cancer, tumors, respiratory issues, and miscarriages. The lawsuit ended with a three hundred and thirty three million dollars settlement, the largest at that time in US history. The film was a critical and commercial success, grossing a quarter billion dollars and getting five Oscar nominations. Phil what do we think of Aaron Brockovich?
Speaker 8: You know, I don't have a lot to say about Aaron Brockwitch. To be honest, but I just wanted to say that Steven Soderberg, who directed this movie, is I think, just like a criminally underrated director. These days, he's super prolific. He's put out a movie almost every year for the last ten years, and they're all pretty good. But he put this movie came out the same year as Traffic, which is another one of his best movies. MM and the guy just goes on here like then, like Cincinnati movie. Six months later, Ocean's eleven came out like the Guy's just He was on a heater for Phil he was great.
Speaker 2: Corey, have you seen this movie? You got the question right, Nope, never seen it? Okay, you just know this pop culture I know stuff, Randall, any.
Speaker 11: Review, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, you guys, Robert.
Speaker 6: I mean, she's still she's still like a timeless an activist.
Speaker 5: She's still like it wasn't like a one.
Speaker 10: Yes, she's doing data centers right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I've seen her in the headlines lately for working on data center issues. But I also just remember when this came out, thinking like interesting to have a movie named after someone I've never heard of, You know, it's one thing to name your movie Jeremiah Johnson or j Edgar Hoover or something, but Aaron Brockovich. I just thought it's like a name that you.
Speaker 2: Never heard of a real person. And then I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's like, what's eating Gilbert Grape?
Speaker 2: I don't even know who Gilbert Grape is. It almost became like a cliche after this to like have a TV shows or movies to be, you know, have like the divorced single mom who's like, you know, doing it all. Yeah, And I feel like this was maybe like the start of that. I don't know era all right, Phil, we have two questions left to give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Randall's locked it up.
Speaker 3: My goodness.
Speaker 8: He's got seven points in the lead, and the two players that are closest to him are Omar and Corey with four points.
Speaker 10: Wowroo for you guys.
Speaker 2: See if you can lap them. Question nine the topic is gear. This next great question is via Sean Doherty. Vibram calls themselves quote the world leader in the development and manufacturing of high performance rubber blank for outdoor and leisure activities. Confident Room, Omar, Nate Randall already have their whiteboards down. Vibram calls themselves the world leader in the development and manu facturing of high performance rubber blank for outdoor and leisure activities.
Speaker 10: A six seventy one compliant.
Speaker 2: Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 10: There'll be three dudes who know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: That's code.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's someday we'll dig up the body of Meat Eater Movie Club and then we'll have to do Aaron Bronkovic. If you've never seen it before, Randall.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great idea.
Speaker 8: That movie bring Aaron Eckhart Rember Local must be before.
Speaker 11: Thank you for smoking it was.
Speaker 1: That's a great flick. It's also about litigation.
Speaker 2: Vibrum calls themselves the world leader in the development and manufacturing of high performance rubber blank for outdoor and leisure activities. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Seth says Souls, Omar Souls, Randall Soles, Cory Boot, Slash Souls. I know exactly what you were looking, Nate Souls, Marge Souls, and she drew us a nice hiking boot. The correct answer is souls. Vibrum. Souls are used by Rocky Red Wings, Merril Danner, Crispy and more. The company was founded in Italy in nineteen thirty seven by a man who lost six friends to a mountaineering accident that was partly blamed on inadequate footwear. All right, here's a correct answer review so far. One was Alabama. Two incisor three fish is the seventh type of snapping turtle meat, four fingers or toes. Five is twenty five dollars six Winchester seven Sonorin eight Aaron Brockovich nine Rubber Souls, Phil Scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Good Beatles Album. I guess Randall didn't have it totally locked up the last time. If he biffed the last three questions, then Omar Seth or Corey could have cut up. But now he has locked it up. So got Randall in first place with eight points.
Speaker 2: He had it locked up. There were only two questions left.
Speaker 8: I thought there are three questions left, eight questions. It doesn't matter, rand We have one question.
Speaker 1: One question left.
Speaker 2: Question ten he wants how badly?
Speaker 11: A momentary question ten.
Speaker 2: The topic is wildlife.
Speaker 10: We're all really excited thanks.
Speaker 2: The cartwheel display bald eagles do, known as the blank spiral, is where two birds interlock their talents and free fall towards the earth. So sick, and we have a video to watch after this of the blank spiral. The cartwheel display bald eagles do, known as blank spiral, is where two birds interlock their talents and you fall towards the earth.
Speaker 13: Wow, very good, very impressed. Did you see that kid who went viral? I want to take that dude turkey yea, so bad.
Speaker 5: Got a lot of d ms from people suggesting we get in touch with that.
Speaker 11: It's been a great radio live second.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I bring it back all right?
Speaker 1: R I p R L.
Speaker 3: God. I miss it so much.
Speaker 2: The cartwheel display bald eagle steam, known as the blank spiral, is where two birds interlock their talons and yeah, I believe.
Speaker 4: Thursdays just start the same.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Feel like I lost my purpose?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth says death, O Mar death, Randall mating, Cory death, Nate death, Marge love. The correct answer is death, Nathan Corey and Omar and Seth get that one right. The death spiral is a courtship displayed done by potential mates and lifelong mates. The birds will reach a high altitude, then lock their talents and cartwheeled downward, letting go to soar away just before hitting the ground. It's thought to be a test between the two eagles, with some established pairs doing it every few years to reaffirm their relationship. Here is a video of what that looks like, shown with permission from T. M. Maddox Photography. Romantic It looks fake.
Speaker 14: Wow, the music is sick. Never Yeah, this is to determine if they're good mates or not.
Speaker 2: You'll see some of them where they actually hit the water, like they let go just at the last second and then they actually crash into the water. This one the bald eagles swored away though when your.
Speaker 10: Skiing, you can do that with your ski poles with somebody going down the mountain and.
Speaker 2: It okay, or a love spiral.
Speaker 11: Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 3: It sad to go with your mate into a death.
Speaker 2: Randall is today's winner. He got eight correct answers right.
Speaker 5: Had I gotten that last one right, I would have said I wish Brodie had been here, because I think I still would have won. But after getting the last question wrong, I think it would have been a last second collapse. You'd have done a death just like last time. Yeah, okay, let's send this money to captains for clean water.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are they like going on these days?
Speaker 5: Just a group of UH like charter captains guides UH that are out on the water every day and they know what's affecting our fisheries.
Speaker 11: We're just up in UH.
Speaker 5: When we were up in the Lake of the Woods. That was one of the groups that we were chatting about. They do a lot of good work, and I hadn't thought of them lately. So let's send us money their way.
Speaker 2: Five hundred dollars going to captains those questions. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. Thanks Spencer, Yeah, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones.
Speaker 1: He lays them questions.
Speaker 12: Down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 1: It is an avid amateur lock how