Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. The Ravens fell to the Cleveland Browns on Sunday twenty nine to twenty four, dropping them to five and three on the season. The loss snapped a five game winning streak for the Ravens. After the game, we had a chance to hear from several key players and head coach John Harball. So let's kick it off with Coach.
Speaker 2: Hartball Hard Fraud.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the effort and the fight with our guys. As always, we'll get ourselves organized, get back to Baltimore and start getting ready for Denver next week at home. What questions you have, John, how much did with.
Speaker 4: The increase you're not having the corners having ements in line and good down how much did that change things deem pass.
Speaker 5: Away for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just impossible to really put a metric on that.
Speaker 6: You know, it's.
Speaker 3: Obviously a factor. But I appreciate the guys going in there playing, fighting, competing. Love our guys, and I thought that they competed out there. The guys that were out there playing in those spots that you're talking.
Speaker 7: About, John, was Marcus Willieve the health decision or something else?
Speaker 6: Uh, it was a personal decision.
Speaker 3: We're we're kind of working through some things there which I feel very confident Marcus is going to be out there playing great football the rest of the season. So, uh, I'll just talk about it being an internal type of situation.
Speaker 8: I mean, coach, I mean.
Speaker 5: You guys have a little corner stats coming up against teams like the Stealers, Chargers, Eagles. Teams are more than capable of passing the ball. How do you guys expect to overcome these defense defensive struggles when it comes to the thing.
Speaker 3: Now, we're very confident our guys, we always are. We'll we played great defense and uh, we'll keep working and well we'll put up some good defensive games to promise you that.
Speaker 7: John, Uh, you know you see certain times where defensively the seam the balls were in those guys hands.
Speaker 9: You need to ensure you how to post. You guys are to you know, finishing the only Kings.
Speaker 6: Get one player to do.
Speaker 3: So yeah, sure, I mean that's part of it.
Speaker 4: Doubt John, I think the TV cameras caught you saying something on that first opening track where you.
Speaker 9: Guys went for to Pourtland one.
Speaker 4: Did you think it was a first down.
Speaker 7: Did you know it was more than one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are, but we were gonna go for one one and a half even if any side of two early in the game. That was our metric the whole time. I mean, we were planning on doing that. That was what we were doing. I was, you know, I mean, the thing that you gotta understand is like, that's a long gain right there. You don't exactly think you're gonna probably get it into one right there, And I was kind of I don't know what the odds would be, what was it?
Speaker 6: What was it third?
Speaker 10: And what.
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 3: But going into it, no third.
Speaker 6: And what right?
Speaker 3: You're asking me the question and help me with the details. So that's kind of the point there. I mean, you don't really expect to gain one short, but so we're trying to work through that. And plus there was a penalty before that, so.
Speaker 4: Before John Adam, were you expecting more from your past rush?
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're just gonna go out there and try to compete and do the best we can. I mean, we fight, fight to get pass rush, we fight for everything, we fight for everything, so you always want to do enough to win the game. We weren't able to do that in this game, So we'll definitely break it all down. You know, we'll break every aspect of it down. We sit there and watch the film, everybody will look at everything that they did they can do better, and everything we did, and we'll try to continue to keep improving. I mean, there's a lot of football left to be played. You're not gonna win every game, and you know, it was a tough situation coming in here. I think our guys handled all that pretty well. We operated pretty well, but we didn't do enough. We didn't make the plays. We didn't make the calls that we needed to make to win the game. And that's really what it boils down.
Speaker 9: To the Browns.
Speaker 7: None of the last touch on the other Tilm touchdown, he called this land inside looked like you guys weren't lining lined up defensively.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of movement.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we weren't.
Speaker 6: We weren't. We weren't.
Speaker 3: We weren't well organized on that play, There's no doubt about it. We got to that play was not a good play for us.
Speaker 2: But with the direct snap to to Derek early in the game and then the third down with Charlie, obviously you guys going to were there, But what was just the thought of.
Speaker 3: Charging quarterback sneak? You also, you try to draw moost sides. They said he moved his head too much when he was calling this cadence. That's that's that's tough, you know, I guess that's the interpretation on that.
Speaker 6: So that's what happened on that.
Speaker 3: We overcame that one, the the the wildcat off tackle play. We just didn't do a good enough job with it, you know, And it is what it is is to call you know, you look back, you wish you hadn't called that. You wish you maybe it would have been better, you know, as a play. But that's football, you know that that that happens, uh, And we understand that. So you keep fighting. You gotta backed up and you keep fighting.
Speaker 7: All right, John, John, How difficult are the penalties making it? When you're behind the special teams? They're forcing you guys back inside, deeping your own Yeah.
Speaker 3: Especially team you return party. Specifically is ever you're talking about, okay, because specifically, yeah, those biose billsballs should have been kept in the end zone. So we set ourselves up on that one that was that was not good.
Speaker 1: Next up is quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: Obviously l every losses has just lost a little bit more frustrating you.
Speaker 12: Like you said, you know every loss is frustrating. Yeah, because we been we been doing so good, you know, officer office side of the ball, defensive side of the ball. We just been pulling points on the board, kimming teams out the end zone. We just gotta play better.
Speaker 5: Guys started off kind of shaky offensively. I mean a few a few drives you got into any territory, even into the red zone at first, had specifically without scoring touchdowns and if you if you turn off or where he plays things like that, where you guys just kind of did it take a minute for you guys to kind of get seen. I mean it was just something Browns were doing defensively, and you just talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 10: M nah.
Speaker 6: I mean, we just gotta put points on the board.
Speaker 12: You know, we were doing a good job moving the ball, and then we just getting started soon as we uh change change feels. We just gotta g do a good job at making downs count, you know, first and shaking down, stay stay out of the thirty stuff like that. Second and long so omar uh.
Speaker 11: Well, everybody will trying to go layer by the or what thing to you guys have been on the losing side of it. But also just be in sensitive familiarity between both teams. You guys playing each other two times a year. They're not being much of life secrecy between you guys as well.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, people probably look at Brown's recording and be like, oh, yeah, that's a sorry team. But it's like this the NFL. I always say that this is the NFL and any given Sunday a team can be good. Any given Sunday a team can you know, wake up and just be It'll be their day, be their day. Uh, we just got to play better all around, that's all. They did a great job. Browns did a great job off phases.
Speaker 7: Or were your receivers complaining about losing.
Speaker 12: Balls and the sign was that A no, they didn't. They didn't tell me that. If they did, I believe because the.
Speaker 6: Sign was it was clearing to day, shining.
Speaker 9: In the last drive.
Speaker 7: Obviously not a lot of time is there, thought about going out of bounds a couple of times and some shorter passes to set up maybe get a little closer that be I I believe.
Speaker 6: That'll be easier, uh to catch the ball and bounce.
Speaker 12: If we got probably a couple more times out time timeouts, we.
Speaker 6: Were probably closer to the end zone.
Speaker 12: You know, we were far out, so we were just trying to get the ball closest possible to the en zone to give up. Give our guys a shot, that's all me.
Speaker 9: Lamar a little bit.
Speaker 5: You guys did have a little bit of trouble sustaining on and drives our times.
Speaker 6: I mean two potent that, I mean two.
Speaker 5: Potentdo on third downs? I mean what what kind of what kind of led to that?
Speaker 6: A little bit us? They were just doing a great job of stopping us.
Speaker 12: You know, we wasn't We wasn't converting on third now obviously, you know we gotta do a better job at that. Sometimes we got a couple pennanties here and there push us back further or sack or something like that. We just got to do a better job at what's what's standing at?
Speaker 9: How aggressive do you think that they were? You know on some of those free.
Speaker 4: Option players, do you hand it off Derek's you know, tackle even when you have to just have a ball together, guy Finance, you just how aggressively if you think they were kind of trying to defend your.
Speaker 6: Oh those guys were triggering.
Speaker 12: You know, they got the safeties all down, Uh, linebackers, Uh, they were switching it up, doing a great job at switching it up.
Speaker 6: Uh, but the read was still the same. They did a good job though, Thank you more.
Speaker 1: Next up is cornerback Brandon Stevens.
Speaker 7: Communication the back end or is that the case?
Speaker 6: Though? You know, I think our communication was good this game. You know, we we.
Speaker 10: Definitely had our plays uh uh gave you know, gave up some explosives. But you know, I think we're uh good with communication. We just gotta you know, uh execute better playing and sip.
Speaker 7: How challenged you was it with missing two of your better corners and then losing two more guys early in the game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, uh, you know we missing some guys obviously that you know, I mean a lot to this defense, to this team, but you know it's, uh, it's just no excuse. You know, the guys out on the field. You know, we were here for a reason, so we gotta you know, play play to our standard.
Speaker 2: Friends with you know, a number of guys on Cleveland being COVID for for a lot of those catches. Is that just a matter of you guys either yet not being in the right positions them being in the right positions. How do you kind of explain that?
Speaker 10: I guess, I mean, I gotta uh, you know, I gotta gotta look at the film, you know, and for me to answer that, you know, but yeap, but you know right now, we just we just gotta execute, you know, we we gotta make plays on the ball, you know, and sh just just get off the field.
Speaker 6: I it's gonna take for for this defense to push the fourth quarter, to consistently finish and and finish.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's gonna take uh, it's it's gonna take one two and you know, just uh a will to to wanna in the game. You know, we we probably you know, we pride ourselves. You know I'm finishing and you know we haven't done that. We s especially didn't do it today. But you know it's just gonna take, you know, work, you know, day in day out, you know, to to to excel.
Speaker 7: Right, we see almost every practice catch the balls in the Jackson machine. How much do you think these issues not turning these Aaron throws into picks are holding you back?
Speaker 9: To fassive leak.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean we uh, we definitely have had our opportunities, you know, we we we had some opportunities in this game, even late in the fourth to end it. But it's I mean it's tough, man. We we just gotta capitalize, you know, when we got our hands on the ball, you know, and you know that gives us the opportunity to go out to the field and get you know, offensive ball back.
Speaker 6: Right cool than.
Speaker 1: In the locker room. We heard from several key players in this game, including safety Eddie Jackson that has a lot of.
Speaker 9: Probably, first, what do you feel like the frustration level is right down for the defense?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 13: That's very frustrating. That a lot of opportunities out there. I gotta come out and get better everybody being on a cord and just make the plays when they come to us.
Speaker 8: We want to talk about and need to catch it all.
Speaker 6: I guess what more people do you want with all that?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 13: Just just keep getting on the drugs, making those players in practice.
Speaker 9: Uh s, and we just gotta make 'em.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 13: It's you say just to say that I feel like we been we been on the drugs. We been doing everything it's just just in a funk right now.
Speaker 8: You Uh, teais a point out you all to know how to catch the ball, you.
Speaker 4: Say, when that's a lot of this point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got I.
Speaker 13: I feel like it's just just not making those players when they come to us. Man, it's feel like as simple as that, we just gotta make 'em. You know, it's no big theory behind it. It's just it's.
Speaker 9: Just in a funk right now.
Speaker 13: We gotta get out of cause you know a lot of those just big game change and plays when we if we make those.
Speaker 3: So when did you find out it's gonna be you in arth areas starting to dry?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 13: During the week we kind of we kind of figured newer Newer was gonna me and me and Ad out there.
Speaker 2: So okay, do you it's your kind of dun question, But of what happened on those couple of opportunities, you you had a a on your.
Speaker 13: Reception and just gotta come down with it, man, Just continue to work on it and see the ball through.
Speaker 9: Man, It's just it's just like a funk right now.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 13: It's just like I said, it's no big theory behind it. Just gotta catch the ball. You know, and it sounds crazy, but just gotta come up with 'em.
Speaker 9: A couple of the the losses this year and it Raves has a lead late and that not being able to hold on to it.
Speaker 6: What's it take to kind of finish off this game is step passively.
Speaker 13: Just gotta keep our foot on the pedal, you know, everyone be on one accord, Gotta continue to play, don't get losed.
Speaker 9: And like I said, we gotta make.
Speaker 13: Those plays like it's no excuse for you know, nothing that happened out there.
Speaker 9: We just gotta make those plays.
Speaker 13: When they come to us, you know that, but them it's huge games, change the plays for us, and we got the guys that can do it in the room.
Speaker 9: We just gotta continue to work out it and come up with it when it.
Speaker 10: Comes to you.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I know a couple of games, like earlier in the year, guys are talking about communication and things like that. Back there is that still cropping up in some of these situations for you guys.
Speaker 9: Or I mean it's here and there.
Speaker 13: You know, we just gotta echo to call everyone, you know, so everybody can do on the same page. That's something we can continue to work on and keep improving. Uh, but you know, we just gotta like I said, man, it's we had some big opportunities that we missing left out there that a lot of us which were gonna have back. But now we just gotta l you know, live with this one, take it on the chain and get ready for you know, next week. But it's gonna suck, you know.
Speaker 6: Now I knew a lot about getting back to this too.
Speaker 14: Uh standard of do you think or where do you think it would take for uh decent platuna?
Speaker 6: Where do we get back to that?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 9: Just keep working, Uh, keep working. I feel like we work hard.
Speaker 13: We come in every week, we work hard and practice and we just gotta let it translate to the game. And then again, like I said, we just gotta make those plays when they come to us. You know, I had a few of 'em I just left out there. That's you know, got me sick. I know, I just gotta come out. We just gotta make 'em.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 13: That's that's it coach putting us in position and make those plays. And I said, we gotta get out this phone that we in get one more.
Speaker 7: Places that last touchdown until men gets to give her ones.
Speaker 9: What's that every play there knock him out.
Speaker 7: Of the Yodo runs her.
Speaker 13: Top of the part was that man, you know, covers zero tough spot. But you know I gotta play play it better, simple as that.
Speaker 6: Thank you, God, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We else I heard from wide receiver or shot baiting.
Speaker 14: I just don't think you know what I'm saying. We followed the script, you know what I'm saying. First and from most, I don't think we executed it.
Speaker 6: You know at uh every now.
Speaker 8: Highest level, we played behind the change a lot. Yeah we can't beat that.
Speaker 14: Uh let Scott any team to make play somehow, some get consistent going on the show.
Speaker 9: The shout as a sun a factor at all? Or yeah, the sign got me on that one hundred people.
Speaker 8: Huh yeah, yeah, that's right in the middle, right in the middle. Okay, Uh I gotta learned how to catch too.
Speaker 9: It still though, yup, did you just see at the last minute? Uh Now, I saw the.
Speaker 14: Ball all the way up to the last minute, and then the ball all went directly into the sun.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: I can't do nothing about that. So, uh God, you got me on that one. That's That's all I could say.
Speaker 4: What was the I guess the plan on offense, big picture on those us to come in play with them, the prince with the person today and sound where for something short or.
Speaker 9: Was just kind of questions.
Speaker 14: But I think we were just looking to get in the end zone, somehouse, some way with the players that we're call. We didn't do that, you know, clear when you did a good job of defending us, you know, uh towurist end of the game, and you know it came up short, came up.
Speaker 2: Short third down. You guys have been really good all year. What do you think was the you know, a sideline executed? What do you think was the issue on on third downs today?
Speaker 14: Honestly, man, it honestly goes back to back to execution. I mean, whatever the place is, somehow, some way, you know, no matter what it is, I think.
Speaker 6: You know, we beat ourselves.
Speaker 14: I don't know what position that could have been. It could have been a receivers, it could have been old line. You know, we never know, but you know, we are our team and I just felt like we all, you know, we all feel when we should until we're very aware of that.
Speaker 15: And you know, we're just looking forward to going fitting how much of a reality check or come down. Is this for this team after you guys have been just rolling teams for five, five or ten row.
Speaker 14: Now reality checks the NFL bro This happens a weekend and week out.
Speaker 9: I mean, this is reality feels.
Speaker 8: I don't we treat this does how we treat any other game. But win or loss, we're gonna go to work tomorrow, the next day and the next day after that.
Speaker 9: All right, that's all we can do.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast, make sure you subscribe to this feed as well as the Lounge podcast feed. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back with you tomorrow when head coach John Harbaugh has his standard Monday after an impress