Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, hope everybody is enjoying your Thanksgiving weekend. I wanted to do a bit of a longer interview where we had some real time to flesh out a lot of the complexities and the mythology surrounding the long standing Israeli Palestinian conflict and also of course the context of this current war on Gaza, and I thought to do that, we'd bring in doctor Norman Finkelstein, who is an author, professor of political science who's also studied this conflict for literally decades, devote much of his adult life to it, authored a number of books on the subject, in particular one that I'm reading right now, Gaza An Inquest into its Martyrdom.
Speaker 3: To dive into all of these topics. It's so great to have you, professor.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, And what I did in preparation for this conversation because I really wanted to ask all the things that people have been wondering about, but maybe they didn't know who to ask, or they didn't know how to ask it, or they were embarrassed to ask it. So we open it up to our subscribers to really ask anything that they wanted to do about this conflict. So I hope this will be a wide ranging conversation that people find illuminating. I hope it'll be a challenging conversation. We'll tackle all of the things that are uncomfortable about it and get into all of those pieces.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad and I hope that you'll do what Candy is.
Speaker 5: Oh. Instead, whereas something doesn't sound right to you, something doesn't sound logical to you, something doesn't sound convincing to you, ask me, and I think I can connect the dots. But sometimes when you speak rapidly, you miss some adults, and so sometimes you need to home in and look at each dot to connect the pattern.
Speaker 1: I will certainly do my best with all of that, So The first question does actually come from our audience, which I thought was a good starting point, which is about your origins. Can we start with just having doctor Finkelstein give basic info on himself growing up and what formed his thoughts opinions on this issue. And I was also curious, you know what led you to this lifelong interest and scholarship on Israel and Palestine.
Speaker 4: I grew up in Brooklyn, New York.
Speaker 5: My parents came over after the war, as we called it, the war meaning World War Two. They were in Warsaw Ghetto. They grew up in Poland. They were in the Warsaw Ghetto from nineteen forty until nineteen forty three.
Speaker 4: After the ghetto.
Speaker 5: Uprising was suppressed by the Nazis. My parents, having survived the war so ghetto uprising, were deported to my the Neck concentration camp.
Speaker 4: My mother then ended up in two slave labor camps.
Speaker 5: My father ended up according to my mother because I never actually asked my father, my father was in seven concentration camps, ended up in Auschwitz. Was on the Auschwitz Death March. Every member of my family on both sides, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, everyone was exterminated during the war. As my mother used to say to us growing up, we are just five people in the world, and that was literally the case. I grew up in the lower middle class neighborhood. My parents were not lower middle class. They were working class. However, they were determined to give us, meaning the children, a crack at the American dream. And so we grew up in the lower middle class neighborhood, but excellent schools. The high school I attended, among the graduates of my high school, or Chuck Schumer, Bernie Sanders, Judge Judy, five believe it or not, five Nobel laureates attended my public high school, Norm Coleman, the senator from Minnesota. We got a very solid education, no question about that. And Jews were back then very ambitious and they got to realize in large part the American dream. Most of my friends are spectacular success stories. So that was how I grew up. On the surface, I was just one of those graduates of James Madison High School in New York. But if you scratch the surface, I was kind of an alien bean. Because my parents were survivors of the Nazi Holocaust. They had, by any conventional standards, very eccentric politics. They were totally pro Soviet Union, totally pro Stalin. They wouldn't brook any criticism of the Soviet Union or Stalin in my home. And so I grew up having to adjust to the fact that in many ways I was an outsider, and I had to accept that I had to learn to live with that status. Actually the most traumatizing aspect of my youth, of my childhood, because they could never really assimilate what happened to my parents when they would read books about the Nazi Holocaust. As a very young child, Okay, now young child, you'd say, around thirteen years old, I would be reading a book in account of the Warsaw Ghetto, say leon Uris's Leon Heuris Is Mila eighteen or John Hershey's The Wall, and I remember I'm reading the book, glancing down at the text, and it's driving these Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto and they're in these things called bunkers and these catacombs, and everybody's starving to death in this ghetto. And then I'm looking up and I'm looking at my mother, and I just couldn't I literally, I couldn't make the imaginative leap from what I was reading to the what you might say the mundane existence of growing up an ordinary home in Brooklyn, New York. But also, as I said, I learned to be an outsider from a very early age. The most traumatizing event of my youth, as I mentioned a moment ago, was I was in bar Mitzford and.
Speaker 4: In the Jewish neighborhood.
Speaker 5: That was literally it was unthinkable, because bar Mitzvah was kind of the equivalent if you're not Jewish, you have said you're a young woman. It's a coming out party where the family uses the occasion to display its wealth, display its earthly success and.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 5: And I didn't get to pass through that ritual, and it was actually quite humiliating. So I would say from a quite young age, I had grown inured to the fact that I was, in many respects and outsider. How I got involved in the Israel Palestine conflict was really sevendipuity. I'm not sure if seven diputy is the right word, because that usually means chancing upon a happy event. It was all by chance in June nineteen eighty two Israel in Lebanon. The war lasted for three and a half months. The estimates are Israel killed fifteen to twenty thousand Lebanese and Palestinians, overwhelmingly civilians. I got involved in the protests around the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, and at some point I started to study the conflict, and then it turned into my doctoral citation in graduate school.
Speaker 4: And then as I was doing.
Speaker 5: The research for the doctoral dissertation, I stumbled upon this national bestseller.
Speaker 4: It had just come out.
Speaker 5: It was called From Time Immemorial, and it was heaped with praise, and this was going This was the book, it was said, that was going to change our understanding of the whole conflict. I was curious because I was writing my doctor dissertation on a related aspect, not on that aspect.
Speaker 4: Of the book.
Speaker 5: And I then, after assiduously examining the book, its footnotes, and its internal logic and coherence, I was able to demonstrate that this national bestseller, which the whole Jewish intelligentsia class had heaped praise on, the.
Speaker 4: Book was a hoax.
Speaker 5: And at that point, I guess you could say I now plug into this area of intellectual inquiry and political activism, and if I stood by it, for forty years. It's because the conflict never ended. I'm not a quitter, It's just not in my nature. I am very stubborn, except when it comes to truth and facts. If you convince me I'm wrong, I will concede I'm wrong. My creedown life has always been never quarrel with facts. If I'm wrong, I simply have to acknowledge it and move on. Otherwise I'm betraying my principles. Sometimes I see a fact and I see I'm wrong, and I try to weazle my way out of it in my mind, and at some point I say, norm stop, you're wrong, accept it, acknowledge it because that's a bedrock principle for you, and move on. So I will not be stubborn about facts if I'm wrong. However, I don't give up on the cause I'm not a fair weather friend and I don't pullowp with the wind, and I don't think anybody has ever.
Speaker 4: Accused me of that.
Speaker 1: So we have a you know, everybody, many people at home with friends and family over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, a lot of people with a lot of thoughts and opinions on what is unfolding right now in Israel and their war on Gaza. And you know, a lot of people feel so overwhelmed by the details of this conflict because it is so longstanding. There's all these different potential peace deals, there's all these different facets of the conflict that they feel incapable of arguing a position coherently. So one of the questions that we got was, can you give a sort of cliff notes version or give just the most essential facts so that people feel like they can coherently and intelligently take a stand on what's going on now.
Speaker 5: That's a very difficult question because any tempt to give a succinct or as you called, cliff notes version of the history.
Speaker 4: And the first question always is where do you begin.
Speaker 5: Israel likes to begin in two thousand BC, and if I were to go forward from two thousand BC to the present, we would need not two hours, we need about two years. So then the question is where do you begin? For convenience and sake, and I think for the sake of the essential context of what's happening now, have you should or you can begin with two thousand and six. In two thousand and six, the president of the United States, as you will call was George Bush, and one of his signature items on his agenda or foreign policy agenda, is what he called democracy promotion. And one aspect of the democracy promotion was to encourage elections, and the Bush administration encouraged the Palestinians to hold elections. Hamas, the Islamic movement originally didn't want to participate because it felt that these elections were within a framework what was called and I'm not going to go into the terminal going to the meaning of the terminology, it was called the Oslo framework, which Hamas rejected. However, it did a volte face and about face it agreed to participate in the elections, and surprise to everybody, Amas won the election.
Speaker 4: Now there are two things to say about it.
Speaker 5: Number One, Jimmy Carter, who was monitoring the elections in the occupied Palestinian territories, he pronounced the elections completely honest and fair. In fact, those were the first democratic elections held in the modern Middle East, in the whole region, the first democratic elections held in the modern Middle East. Jimmy Carter, as I said, pronounced them completely honest and fair.
Speaker 4: The second thing to say.
Speaker 5: About uh the election is the immediately as the election was the results of the elections came in, UH, and the result was not what the United States wanted.
Speaker 4: I should make one point about that.
Speaker 5: Uh. The people of Gaza did not elect or the people in the because it was an occupied territories election, so it's the West Bank and Gaza. They didn't elect Goza because it was a terrorist organization.
Speaker 4: They didn't elect Gaza.
Speaker 5: Because it was had sit As as objective to destroy Israel. It elected Uh, i'm us because i'm us ran on a platform that promised reform, and Hamas itself had a positive reputation for its role in various social institutions, in the role in various religious institutions at the time. I won't say what came later, but at the time it wasn't seemed to be a reasonably honest and less corrupt organization than what's called the Palestinian Authority. And it was because of the promises of basic reform that Hamas won the election. When I say reform, I mean social reform, political reform, and most importantly of course, economic reform. So that was why that's the result of the election. As I said, the United States was not please. The result for example, Hillary Clinton, who's currently making the rounds about how she was trying so hard to promote democracy in the occupied Palestinian territories because she cares so much about the as Indian people. At the time, or just shortly thereafter, Hillary Clinton stated that the United States made a mistake.
Speaker 4: It should have rigged the election.
Speaker 5: That's Hillary Clinton's commitment to democracy. That's democracy promotion the Hillary Clinton in the world in any event. Immediately as Ahamas won the elections, the United States, i should say, Israel, then followed by the United States and the EU, imposed these rural economic sensions on Gaza. Now, before I get to those sanctions, the first thing I have to do free listeners is to describe what is Gaza. Gaza is about twenty five miles long, less than the length of a marathon, and it's five miles wide. Gaza is among the most densely populated places on God's Earth. Right now, it's by a wide margin, as we speak, the most densely populated place in God's Earth, because half of it has been cleared out, and that population in the northern sector has now been pushed to the southern sector. And now Israel has plans to take the most the dense, most densely populated place in God's Earth and push all the people and I hope you listeners will take it in because it's going to be unfolding as this program airs, and push all the people in Gaza into an area the size of Los Angeles Airport. The population of Gaza, Israel now wants to shove into an area the size of Los Angeles Airport. In any event, Gaza among the most densely populated places on Earth. Once the israelis I should say the population seventy percent of the people of Gaza are refugees or descendants of refugees. They were seventy percent of the population and its descendants were expelled from Israel in nineteen forty eight during the First Arab Israeli War, and they ended up in Gaza as their descendants, and they lived in refugee camps for the last seventy five years in Gaza. Half the population of Gaza's children. That's another point that should be fixed in everyone's mind when you hear about the indiscriminate bombing, the indiscriminate murder, the targeted murder in Gaza. About half of those targeted are children as of now, more seventy percent of the eleventh thousand.
Speaker 4: That it's about eleven thousand.
Speaker 5: Five hundred, seventy percent of those killed in Gaza, our children and women. That's called targeting humas and the official media accounts seventy percent our children and women. That's the population of Gaza, overwhelmingly refugees and descendants of refugees, and overwhelming and fifty percent children. Now, what does this blockade of Gaza mean? That to me is the most salient fact which whenever I mentioned that even people who are reasonably well informed, they're absolutely dumbfounded. Once this will imposed the blockade on Gaza, nobody could go in and nobody could go out, except on the rarest of occasions. Is Real controls everything that goes in and everything that goes out. There was a period in time when Israel prohibited so many items from being accessible to the people of Gaza that they finally reversed the list and just provide a list of what was permissible to pass through the gates of Gaza. Israel band chocolate from entering Gaza. Israel band, they beat chicks from entering Gaza. Israel band potato chips from entering Gaza. There was a period where Israel calibrated the diet, the caloric diet of every person in Gaza, so as to enable a starvation plus a starvation plus diet to be limited to the people of Gaza. Half the population of Gaza is unemployed.
Speaker 4: Has the highest population.
Speaker 5: Rate of any area in the word excuse me, the highest unemployment rate of any area in the world. Seventy percent of the youth in Gaza are unemployed.
Speaker 4: So when you add up all.
Speaker 5: The discreet facts that have just enumerates for you, what do you get. Well, the former British Prime minister, the Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron, he described Gaza as an open air prison. Then there's it's a senior Israeli security official. His name comes up a lot lately as he lays out his maniacal plans for Gaza. His name is Gueora Gio r A island e I L A N D. And in twenty two thousand and four, which is to say, before the blockade was even imposed on Gaza. In two thousand and four, he described Gaza as a huge concentration camp. So if you look at the spectrum, the spectrum goes from open air prison to concentration camp. That's Gaza. So when we come to the events of October seventh, we have to bear in mind that those young men who burst the gates of Gaza, overwhelmingly and maybe entirely, they were born into a concentration camp. All they had to do, day in and day out of their existence was wake up in the morning and pace the perimeter those twenty five miles by five miles, pace the perimeter of the concentration camp. That's all they had experienced in their lives. They had no past, they had no present, and as things looked on the eve of October seventh, they had no future. However, that's only half the story, the reasons of this program. Not with me, not speaking through eternity, I'll give you the other half very quickly. The other half is periodically Israel goes into Gaza. I can't list all the times because frankly, I've never been able to commit all their operations to memory much as a try.
Speaker 4: The list is too long.
Speaker 5: But every few years Israel conducts with the calls and operation in Gaza. What is the operation in Gaza? Is reel coined a very happy locution. It's called mowing the lawn in Gaza. Now my memory is correct, Crystal, you have three children?
Speaker 3: Correct? Correct, yep.
Speaker 4: So i'd like you right.
Speaker 5: So I'd like you to bear in mind. I'm not trying to be a motive. I'm not trying to be dramatic. But I also am trying to paint for your listeners a realistic picture of what's been done to those people. Israel mows the lawn in Gazam, and that lawn has two point three million blades of grass.
Speaker 4: That's the population of Gazam.
Speaker 5: One half of those blades of grass, one million, one hundred and fifty thousand are children. And Israel coined if I dare say, and the listeners can decide for themselves whether I'm being emotive or whether I'm being factual. It coined this satanic phrase, which it repeats on every occasion with a certain amount of humor. It's funny, We're going to mow the grass in Gaza and everybody smiles.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a clever, cute expression.
Speaker 5: I wonder if you would smile the mother of three knowing that among those blades of grass that are going to be mode are the heads and skulls of your children, Operation and cast Led two thousand and eight two thousand and nine December twenty sixth to January seventeenth, Israel killed fourteen hundred people, three hundred and fifty of whom were children. Demolished six thousand, three hundred homes mowing the grass of Gozam, then twenty twelve Operation Pillar of Defence, then twenty fourteen Operation Protective Edge, fifty one.
Speaker 4: Days of mowing the lawn Operation cast Led.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and eight to nine, Amnesty International wrote a large report on what happened.
Speaker 4: He called it twenty two days.
Speaker 5: Of death and destruction mowing the lawn in Gaza. Twenty fourteen, Peter Moore, the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross, he visited Gaza and he saw what Israel had inflicted. Twenty two hundred people killed, five hundred and fifty of them children, eighteen thousand homes vaporized.
Speaker 4: He came out and he said, now bear in.
Speaker 5: Mind, Peter Moore's job is to visit combat zones. And he said, never in his entire professional life had he seen destruction of the magnitude that was inflicted on Gaza.
Speaker 4: In twenty fourteen. So we're told now.
Speaker 5: That the story begins on October seventh, and when a moderator has a guest done the first point of businesses, of course, you have to condemn what happened on October seventh, because that's we're told where the story begins. It's as if in a slave uprising like our own, not Turner slave uprising, you have to begin the story because not Turner and his band of insurgents that killed a lot of innocent men, women and children, no question about that, in very brutal ways. But as if you have to begin by condemning Nott Turner.
Speaker 4: Because of those.
Speaker 5: Horrible deeds he had committed.
Speaker 4: But you're not allowed to mention the fact.
Speaker 5: That, hey, Nott Turner was born a slave. He was born a slave, he lived a slave, and as things looked on the date of his rebellion, he died, he would die a slave. That was his past, present, and future. Is that irrevant? Is that an irrelevant aspect of a story?
Speaker 3: Of course not?
Speaker 1: And so for me, I think that you can understand the history and the context and how it led to these events while also abhorring the loss of innocent civilian life. There was a question directly in response to this analysis from you, a combative question, let's say from our audience that I wanted to get you to respond to. This person writes, given that you essentially cannot hold Hamas accountable for anything past or present, and suggest they are simply acting under the conditions they find themselves in. How many Israeli civilians would be too many for it to continue to be considered a simple consequence of freedom fighting. So far, there might be fourteen hundred they've revised to twelve hundred. But let's say it's just a few hundred. Would fourteen thousand, one hundred forty thousand, one point four million? At what point would norm say that the loss of Israeli civilians was too great to justify a resistance movement. What's your response to that question?
Speaker 5: I guess my response is as follows, And those are fair questions.
Speaker 4: I've heard them. Those are fair questions.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to provide a threshold where it becomes intolerable. I've said what there is no There does not seem to be any doubt as of now that significant atrocities occurred on October seven. I have said that in every interview, and I think my reputation is as such that it won't be construed as me trying to protect myself. I don't protect myself with anything except facts, logic, and truth. And facts, logic and truth compel me to acknowledge, where I resistant to the fact compel me to acknowledge atrocities occurred.
Speaker 4: So there's no dispute.
Speaker 5: Between myself and your interrogatory and your questioner. There's no dispute about the atrocities. The question is understanding those atrocities.
Speaker 4: You couldn't find a single word by me.
Speaker 5: In which I condone what happened on October seventh. I have repeatedly said I won't condone, but I won't condemn. Now, you might say, Crystal and your questioner, you both might say that.
Speaker 4: That doesn't sound consistent.
Speaker 5: If you acknowledge atrocities have occurred, then how can you not condemn the perpetrators of those atrocities? And I do see a logical problem there, and that's why when I was trying to think through this question, I went back and looked at how the abolitionists those white folks not entirely white folks.
Speaker 4: Obviously they were black abolitionists.
Speaker 5: But to celebrate white abolitionists, people like that Ye Stevens, Wendell Phillips, William Lloyd Garrison, Charles Sumner, the heroes of that era, how they reckon morally parse than that Turner rebellion, in which, as I said, sixty white people were hacked to pieces, the heads of babies were chopped off.
Speaker 4: That's a fact.
Speaker 5: And William Lloyd Garrison, in the journal he edited, The Liberator, he had an article in that Turner and he acknowledged atrocities occurred. But you can look through that look read every sentence of that article. He does not condemn the now Turner rebellion.
Speaker 4: He couldn't.
Speaker 5: He couldn't in morally good conscience, because every day of his.
Speaker 4: Life he bore a witness.
Speaker 5: To the degradation, to the humiliation, to the laceration.
Speaker 4: Of the black slaves.
Speaker 5: He bore witness to the auction blocks where these slaves.
Speaker 4: Were measured, examined, and sold off.
Speaker 5: And in good conscience, he couldn't find it in him to condemn what condemned not Turner. He condemned the atrocities, for sure, but he would not condemn not Turner. And when I read that I have to say it morally resonated with me because unlike a.
Speaker 4: Lot of people who are now weighing in.
Speaker 5: And judging the young men who burst free the wall of Gaza concentration camp, and unlike myself who spent forty years reading those human rights reports on what has been done to the people of Gaza, they're all quick to pass judgments on those fifteen hundred maybe two thousand. We billy don't know men who burst free. I, in good conscience could not. The difference between myself and others is one the knowledge I find it very painful to this day.
Speaker 4: When I reread.
Speaker 5: My own book, my own book in preparation for the past month to speaking our what happened on October seventh, my innerds ry. They rise in disgust at the whole world passing judgment on this god forsaken people. So if my position seems contradictory or contradictory, it's number one, because I don't think it's an easy moral question to resolve. And number two, unlike everyone else, I don't have in my mind this image of hamas this evil criminal organization. In my mind, I see the young people with no past, no present, no future. Periodically, this satanic power mows the lawn of Gaza, kills their mother, or kills their father, or kills their sister, or kills their child. Would I, I'm October seventh not be filled with rage? Would I I'm October seventh not be determined to exact revenge for that horror, that nightmare that had been inflicted on me for no reason, on God's earth from.
Speaker 4: The day I was born?
Speaker 5: You know the biblical adage, Therefore the grace of God go I. I don't know how I would have reacted, and I won't pretend to be better than the people of Gossip.
Speaker 4: I won't.
Speaker 1: So one of our questioners, again on the same topic, said, why not simply apply and uphold Geneva Conventions in all instances when it comes to Israel, when it comes to Hamasa's actions, and they point in particular to the Geneva Convention's Law of Arm Conflict Article fifty one, subsection two or Additional Protocol one, which states the civilian population as such as well as individual civilians shall not be the object of attack.
Speaker 4: I think there's a confusion here.
Speaker 5: I just said I think three times I acknowledged atrocities occurred.
Speaker 4: I applied the Geneva Convention.
Speaker 5: I acknowledge atrocity occurred, but that to my mind, and we can disagree. It's a separate question from the moral judgment. I am going to pass over those young men in Gaza. So I would also say, I'm all for applying those what's called what's called IHL international humanitarian law. I'm all for its application. My problem is, where do you begin under international humanitarian law? The blockade of Gaza is illegal. It's a war crime. It is collective punishment, a war crime. In fact, since it's lasted twenty nearly twenty years. It began in January two thousand and six. Since it's lasted nearly twenty years, it constitutes a crime against humanity.
Speaker 4: So I have to ask you a questioner, why do we begin with the war?
Speaker 5: Excuse me, why do we begin with the atrocities that began or unfolded on October seventh? Without remembering that the impetus of that event on October seventh was the fact that these young men were the victim of a crime against humanity that had endured from the day of their birth till October seventh. Also, eager were also eager to condemn the crime on October seventh. But I was around, and I was documenting that crime against humanity that began in two thousand and six. That's the part that's forgotten. I condemned the atrocity on October seventh. How many people condemned the two decade long crime against humanity that these young men endured. How many people even cared rankly? How many people even knew about it?
Speaker 1: So you mentioned a little while ago that our former Secretary of State and former First Lady Hillary Clinton has been making the rounds laying out her argument for why she is opposed to a ceasefire, even after all of the many civilians who have been killed by Israel in this conflict. She laid out her argument in Atlantic Peace. She said that ceasefires freeze conflicts rather than resolve them. In twenty twelve, freezing the conflict in Gaza was an outcome that we and the Israelis were willing to accept. But Israel's policy since two thousand and nine of containing rather than destroying Hamas has failed. A ceasefire now that restored the pre October seventh status quo would leave the people of Gaza living in a besieged enclave under the domination of terrorists and leave Israeli's vulnerable to continued attacks. It would also consign hundreds of hostages to continued captivity. She also made an appearance on The View where she bolstered this argument with her version of some of the recent history.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen to a little bit of what she said there.
Speaker 6: It's a problem predates October seventh, and I think that's what President Obama was talking about, because let's remember this is a very long and complicated history. My husband, with the Israeli government at the time in two thousand, offered a Palestinian state to the Palestinians at that time run by Arafat, Aasser Arafat and the PLO, the Palestinian Liberation Organization, which by the way, took out of its charter violence against Israel. So you've got to separate the Palestinians who believe that there is some future of peace with Hamas, which believes it has to destroy Israel.
Speaker 3: Those are two.
Speaker 6: Different organizations and they have to be viewed in that way. Arafat turned that down. There would have been a Palestinian state now for twenty three years if he had not walked away from it. There was another attempt when I was Secretary of State to try to bring the Palestinians and the Israelis together. That didn't work out. Hamas came in and basically destroyed all of that and killed a lot of other Palestinians. So I think when President Obama says that it requires us to look at the history, and of course history holds all of us accountable.
Speaker 3: So what is your view of.
Speaker 5: Except Hillary Clinton, who destroyed Libya? History holds all of us accountable except Hillary Clinton.
Speaker 4: But let's leave that aside. What I would like you to.
Speaker 5: Do, Crystal is simply ask me one specific question. From that, she made many many statements. She talked about two thousand when her husband presided over the attempted peace agreement. She talked about Hamas. Hammas destroyed everything she talked about. Ceasefires don't exist. You would not have time for another question if I were to go into all of that. So you use your you know, you use your talents. You're very smart. Which aspect do you find most challenging? And then I'll try to answer it going through the details.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the claims that she made there, which I hear repeated often, is that it was on the Palestinian side that peace has been rejected. And she says there that Palestinians could have had a state now for twenty three years, had Yaser Arafat not walked away from the deal that her husband was attempting to craft. So do you agree with that assessment? What does she get wrong there?
Speaker 5: Well, she gets everything wrong, and I'm going to try to explain why. I do know the details, and I hope the listeners will forgive me for going into the details. There have been four basic issues to try to resolve this conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Okay, issue is number one borders, Where should the borderline be drawn between Israel and the Palestinians. The Palestinians accepted the position of the international community. The borderline should be drawn where it was before the June nineteen sixty seven board, that is, the whole of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and Gaza would form an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel. The Palestinians accepted the position of the international community. All the legal bodies in the world, the International Court of Justice, all the political bodies, the UN General Assembly, everybody accepted the border should be so it's called the pre June nineteen sixty seven border, or the whole of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and Gaza, would be the Palestinian state side by side with Israel.
Speaker 4: Israel rejected that position.
Speaker 5: Israel wanted a part of the West Bank in its last offer.
Speaker 4: In its the last.
Speaker 5: Offer, it wanted approximately eight percent of the West Bank, So it rejected the international community's position.
Speaker 4: Number two.
Speaker 5: Under international law, East Jerusalem belonged to the Palestinian state because under international law it's inadmissible to.
Speaker 4: Acquire territory by war.
Speaker 5: Israel acquired the East Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza in the course of the nineteen sixty seven more, it had no legal title to East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza. Israel rejected that position of the international community. It said it wanted parts of East Jerusalem. Number three, there's the question of these settlements that Israel has built in the occupied Palestinian territories, approximately now seven hundred thousand settlers, illegal settlers under international law in the West Bank. All of those settlers are illegally in the West Bank right now as we speak, engaging in a low level at this point ethnic cleansing in the West Bank.
Speaker 4: Israel wanted to keep.
Speaker 5: Under its sovereignty approximately eighty percent of those settlers.
Speaker 4: And finally, there's the.
Speaker 5: Question of the Palestinian refugees and their descendants. Their descendants since nineteen forty eight, Israel said that it would not allow any of those refugees to return under what's called the right of return, the international law which says refugees have the right to return to their homes after the cessation of hostilities.
Speaker 4: Israel said no.
Speaker 5: Now on all of those questions, borders, Jerusalem, settlements, refugees, on all of those questions, the Palestinians were will to make concessions.
Speaker 4: And in.
Speaker 5: Two thousand, the year two thousand, President Clinton put forth what were called the parameters December two thousand, Parameters for resolving the conflict. All of those parameters required concessions from the Palestinians on the basis of international law. None of Clinton's parameters required concessions from Israel on the basis of international law. Now, I want the listeners to hear the bottom line. In January two thousand and one, both is the rally side and the Palace in the inside accepted what we're called the Clinton parameters with reservations. Both sides said, we accept with reservations. It is factually untrue President Clinton, who's an extremely smart guy, extremely smart guy with a voracious intellectual appetite, he's unfortunately also an exceptional liar. And in his memoir which I read, he simply lied about what happened to his parameters that he put forth in December two thousand and Hillary Clinton, who is apparently quite smart, also as smart as her husband, I'm not sure, but no question, a very smart woman. She is also an inveterate, to the point of pathological liar. That's not, you know, I'm not talking. I'm not trying to be I'm not trying to be at hominem. I think there's quite a lot of evidence going back to why she lost the election, that she's a pathological liar. She literally can't see the lies that she's uttering. So those are just factual questions where I can say with a great deal of confidence, because I've read the entire diplomatic record and I'm willing to debate anybody on it, that what she's saying is false.
Speaker 4: It's doubly false.
Speaker 5: It's false because the Palestinians accepted the terms for resolving the conflict which have been developed and ratified by the whole international community. Just to give you one example, every year, every single year, the United Nations General Assembly passes a resolution called Peaceful Settlement of the Palestine Question, and every year it lays out the terms which I just described. The terms of the settlement are anchored, embedded in international law. Every year, the vote is the whole world, which is to say, approximately one hundred and ninety countries on one site embracing those terms, including the Palestinian representative organizations, and on the other side it's usually the United States, Israel, and several South Sea islands the Marshall Islands allow to Volu Tonga.
Speaker 4: On the other side.
Speaker 5: Now, if any of your listeners have doubts, which surely they have their right to, all they have to do is google peaceful Settlement of the Palestine Question, United Nations General Assembly and that resolution will come right up on the screen.
Speaker 4: It's a little more.
Speaker 5: Complicated to get to the voting record, but with enough conscientiousness and ingenuity which.
Speaker 4: I lack on the web, I don't know anything about the hues.
Speaker 5: They can easily find the whole world on one side, the US, Israel, and some South Sea island eight tolls.
Speaker 4: On the other side. That's the real record.
Speaker 5: And if Hillary Clinton wants to debate me on it or her husband, I'm perfectly happy.
Speaker 1: To do so well, and I would be perfectly happy to moderate that debate. I think that would be great for the country to see.
Speaker 5: And I would say, you know, with Bill Clinton, it will be a challenge, but he's a very smart guy, no question about it.
Speaker 4: But I'm willing to take that challenge.
Speaker 1: So with you acknowledging that hindsight is twenty twenty and with the advantage of sitting where we are in twenty twenty three and looking over this entire historical record, are there any moments where you feel like Palestinians were failed by their leadership, where if a different decision or a different action had been taken, we might be in a better place today.
Speaker 5: I would say there are two separate questions. One is the goal, and in my opinion, the goal was completely legitimate because it was trying to settle the conflict in the basis of international law. And I don't think there is really an alternative framework for trying to settle the conflict.
Speaker 4: And then there's a second, a separate.
Speaker 5: Question, whether the Palestine leadership made maximum use of its opportunities to force Israel to the negotiating table. And there, I would say, the record of the Palestine Liberation Organization, the PLO, and then subsequently the Palestine Authority, the record is not great. However, I want to be very careful about this. I do not believe they made the maximum use of available opportunities. However, it should never be forgotten that both the Palestinian Liberation Organization, the PLO and TAMAS, they both attempted nonviolent civil resistance, and in both cases that nonviolent civil resistance was brutly suppressed by the Israeli government.
Speaker 4: Now, I don't even know.
Speaker 5: How far your memory stretches back, but in nineteen eighty eight, the Palestinians engaged both in both in Gaza and in the West Bank. They engaged in nonviolent civil resistance called it came to be called the First Intafada, the first revolt, non violent civil revolt against Israel, the Israeli occupation. The Israelis under then Defense Minister Defense Minister Yitzak Rabin imposed the policy which was called in public the force, might and beatings policy, in which they brutalized the Palestinian population engaged in nonviolent civil resistance, engaged in massive, massive torture of Palestinian detainees during the First Into Father. They according to Human Rights Watch, they tortured tens of thousands of Palestinian detainees during the First Into Father. In fact, the current editor of Atlantic Magazine, Jeffrey Goldberg, he was a guard in one of those detention facilities, and in his book, his memoir called Prisoners, he describes how he personally, this is the editor of Atlantic Magazine, which currently features the article by Hillary Clinton.
Speaker 4: He describes how he personally.
Speaker 5: Escorted Palestinians in the detention center to.
Speaker 4: The torture chamber.
Speaker 5: He was personally an accessory to torture during the First Into Fadom.
Speaker 4: And then let's.
Speaker 5: Fast forward to what Hillary Clinton calls in that article. She calls hamas an extreme terrorist organization. So this extreme terrorist organization in March twenty eighteen attempted nonviolent civil resistance, the young people and the older people.
Speaker 4: The men and the women.
Speaker 5: In Gaza marched to the perimeter of the concentration camp.
Speaker 4: What did Israel do?
Speaker 5: I hope people's memories aren't so short. It assembled along the perimeter of the concentration camp. It's snipers. And who did the snipers of that beautiful state?
Speaker 4: Who did it target?
Speaker 5: Well, we have a very excellent human rights report which describes who they targeted.
Speaker 4: Here for your listeners.
Speaker 5: Is a list of the types of targets. Beautiful Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East. Who did it target It targeted children, It targeted medics, It targeted journalists, and it targeted people with physical disabilities. It targeted young men in wheelchairs, It targeted young men on crutches.
Speaker 4: So you can fault both groups, the PLO.
Speaker 5: And the Hamas leadership for not maximizing the opportunities to force that state, backed by the United States, to settle the conflict. But let it never be said that won. Their goal was beyond reason. No, their goal or their goal was extreme. Their goal was what the international community in all of its manifestations called for, namely, a settlement based on the principles of international law.
Speaker 4: And number two.
Speaker 5: Let it never be said that they didn't try nonviolence. They tried it, and they tried it, and they were brutally, mercilessly mowed down by the Israeli state.
Speaker 4: That's the fact.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you could give the strongest possible case for the Israeli view of the conflict.
Speaker 3: You're not only a.
Speaker 1: Scholar of the Israel Palestine conflict, you're also a scholar of the Holocaust. So coming out of that history of deep trauma that your own family was afflicted by, I wonder if you could lay out how you think they're viewing this conflict and why it ends up being so different from the way that you and I are looking at it.
Speaker 5: I'm listening closely to your questions, and those are reasonable and important questions. I would have to say two things. Number One, if we were talking about the past, I could see because I strongly believe in the principle of trying to establish a devil's advocate argument and then trying to argue against the devil's advocate. However, I don't think that's possible now because right now, at this moment, we are talking about a genocide unfolding in Gozam, and it would be a sin against man and a sin against God to make a Devil's advocate case for genocide unless you're willing to accept Nazi principles as a point of departure, namely legitimizing extermination. Since I don't believe any of your listeners would accept that dead rock principle as one dead rock principle, that extermination is okay, then it makes no sense to lay out, so to speak, a Devil's advocate position because there will be no agreement on the baseline.
Speaker 4: Israel's trying to.
Speaker 5: Commit a genocide in Gaza right now about that, it's very clear. It doesn't even pretend to hide it. It's saying we're not going to let any food, water, electricity, or a fuel. Well that's genocide to a civilian population. Then well that's genocide. That's not complicated. So at the moment, I couldn't lay out a position because nobody would accept the rock argument that China side is okay, It's okay to exterminate the people in the case of the past. Why what's the best argument against Israel or for Israel?
Speaker 4: What's the best argument for Israel?
Speaker 5: The best argument for Israel is it has the right to break the law, and that's what Israel has said all along. Israel has said all along, because of what Jews endured experience during the Nazi Holocausts, they should not be held to the same moral standard as other states, that they should get a pass because of what happened to them. So if Israel did as it did, If Israel did as it did, do it legalized torture. There was a period in Israel's history where they legalized torture. Well, they would say, what about the Holocaust. There was a period where Israel legalized the demolition of homes as a form of punishment.
Speaker 4: When they were asked, well, what about the Holocaust.
Speaker 5: So they've used the Holocaust not just as a moral alibii, but as a right that has been that they have been endowed with because of what happened during World War Two. And so then it's up to your listeners whether you accept that that Israel has the right to break the law because of what it experienced during World War Two. Israel was the only country in the world to have legalized torture. Israel was the only country in the world to legalize hostage taking the High Court Barak he called it bargaining chips. Israel was the only country in the world to legalize house demolitions as a form of punishment.
Speaker 4: It's very unique.
Speaker 5: And the argument has always been by its apologies, well, what about the Holocaust?
Speaker 4: And then that's a judgment that your listeners have to make.
Speaker 5: I say, by the standard of international law in all of its dimensions, be it the human rights dimension, be it the terms for settling the conflict. Israel is and has been in egregious violation of the law. And you can see that in the International Court of Justice decision in July two floor, which I'm not going to go through right now because we're going into the weeds and I will lose listeners. So I think the record is unambiguous, unequivocal that Israel is a systematic and egregious violator of international law in all its dimensions. And then the question comes to what you just said, Okay, but then what's its best case, And that's a fair question, and I.
Speaker 4: Think it's best cases.
Speaker 5: The case is who has made all along, namely that given what happen in light of what happened to Jews during World War two, they have a right to do that. And there it's just for you, you know, it's your listeners to the side. Some of them are going to say, well, yeah, you know what, I think they do have that right to break the law, and others will say, well, the law is the law, and nobody gets a free pass. Now as we're once in the name of the Nazi Holocaust to commit a holocaust, well that's what they're doing. I mean, that's not that's not exaggeration. They are right now turning Gaza. During the Filipino War in the turn of twentieth century, nineteen hundred, during the field, there was a province in revolt called Luzan, the United States is time to occupied and one of the generals during the Filipino War he said, we're going to turn the dnsest resistance was in Luzon Province lu Zealm and one of the American generals said, we're going to turn the Luzon province into a howling wilderness. That phrase always stuck with me. And that's what Israel is doing now to Gaza.
Speaker 4: I woke up.
Speaker 5: This morning and I was reading an article and it said bait Hanoun, which was a place on you had very five thousand people in northern Gaza, and it's not there anymore.
Speaker 4: There's nothing.
Speaker 5: There was a very vivided article by Patrick Kingsley of The Times, who I loathe, but occasionally a word of truth passes through his lips, and he said he was taken on a tour of northern Gaza by the Israeli Army, a control tour. And he said, at one point he was in this completely level end, and he said, he turned to the general, the commanding officer, he said, where are we? And the fellow named the name of the place, and he describes the article. He was bewildered because he had spent a lot of time in that place as a journalist for the Times. He had no idea where he was. There's nothing there, he said. The only constant is the is the Mediterranean. To see, there's nothing there. You couldnt find your home in Gaza. That's his real's goal, that people will have nothing to return to, and so they'll leave, leave where we don't know yet. Right now they're trying to put all the people, the two point three million people of Gaza into an area the size of Los Angeles Airport, to force Egypt to open the gates of Rafa and take them. So and why, well, the Holocaust did you see the Times coverage one day it would say one of the people taken hostage was a survivor of the Holocaust. Oh yeah, that's very possible. My parents survived the Holocaust. I buried them thirty years ago, nineteen ninety five. But they managed to find a survivor of the Holocaust. Always dragging it in, dragging it in. What became the mantra of the latest event? What's the mantra? The worst massacre of Jews since the Holocaust? Can you tell me what fourteen hundred people being killed has to do with the Holocaust? Awshitz killed? No, I'm serious, and alshits ten thousand Jews were gassed to death a week, ten thousand a week. What does that have to do with fourteen hundred, Yes, fourteen hundred, it's a horrible number. I'm not going to deny it, but can you tell me what that has to do with the Nazi Holocaust?
Speaker 4: But always drag it in, drag it in.
Speaker 5: And the former Foreign Minister of Israel he famously said, you know, the Hebrew word for holocaust does show it shoah? And he famously said, there's no business like show a business. And that's what you see.
Speaker 3: Now let me ask you.
Speaker 5: You're always dragging in to extenuate, excuse, exonerate.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question related to that, because this is something I hear a lot and something that are a number. We had a number of questions about this. What's a good response when someone proposes that, while it is undeniably true that Israel quote does bad things, it only gets a disproportionate amount of attention because of anti Semitism. For example, how to respond to someone who says, there are Muslims that are severely persecuted, ethnically cleansed all over the world, but only Israel incites this kind of international ire, and it's because people hate Jews.
Speaker 3: What is your reaction to that?
Speaker 5: Well, there are many arguments you could have made in the past, but now is Isel is in a very unique situation. Number One, by the third week. By the third week of the current operation, Israel had killed by the third week more children then children killed in every war zone in the world combined for the year's twenty twenty or the year of twenty twenty one, or the year twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: I remember I was in.
Speaker 5: One debate with a fellow named Eli Lake. I mentioned that statistic. At that point the number of Palestinian children killed was thirty five hundred, and very skeptically, Eli Lake said more than in Ukraine.
Speaker 4: And then I went home and checked.
Speaker 5: Do you know how many children have been killed in Ukraine in twenty months?
Speaker 4: Five hundred.
Speaker 5: At that moment when I was in the debate, you know how many children were killed in Gaza?
Speaker 4: Thirty five hundred number two.
Speaker 5: Now we can disagree about this, and my memory may not be perfect, as I say, I don't quarrel with facts, but I cannot remember.
Speaker 4: A single conflict in my lifetime.
Speaker 5: Where a state was openly, blatantly and flagrantly targeting hospitals. That's a new threshold of barbarism. The most Sankro sank institution in any society do every manner and form of protection inviolable under international custom, has become a target of legitimate attack by this state. In terms of density of bombing, it's the most densely bombed area Gaza of any war zone in the twenty first century. So if it's now getting disproportionate attention by some people's reckonings, it might possibly be because it's carried gone this proportionate crimes in real time before our eyes.
Speaker 1: To your point about the targeting of hospitals, we got in a question that asked, what do you think was Israel's real motivation to storm Alshifa Hospital? Did they really expect to find a complete Hamas command center? If not, what could be their actual objective? And just as a side note, we're recording this Monday, November twentieth. Just this morning, there's been an additional IDF release of a tunnel system that they claimed that they located some fifty meters long, and some video that they claim shows hostages being let into the hospital for treatment.
Speaker 5: Okay, let me get to the goal and then let me get to the specifics the goal is. In my view as a speculative, I can't answer the minds of the Israeli leadership. I would say number one, Israel's always testing the threshold. How much will the international community tolerate? If you can get away with targeting hospitals, that sacrosanct edifice of civil society, then you can get away with genocide.
Speaker 4: If you can target injured people, dying.
Speaker 5: People in a hospital, then why can't you kill everybody?
Speaker 4: So right now, in part it's a probing operation.
Speaker 5: How far will the international community let us go?
Speaker 4: Number two?
Speaker 5: Al Shifa Hospital is the largest hospital in Gaza. It was at the time of the Israeli attack, Al Shifa was holding sixty thousand people, not a small number. And if you target Al Shifa, you're targeting what remains of Gaza's civilization. It was the as it were, epitome. It summarized Gaza civilization. I know some people in the audience are laughing, Aha, Gaza civilization.
Speaker 4: Very funny. Yeah, it epitomized Gaza civilization, and therefore, by destroying it, you are dealing a lethal blow, a death blow to all that Gaza stood for.
Speaker 7: Now about that Al Shifa Hospital, Let's remember, as The New York Times wrote the other day, that.
Speaker 5: Israel claimed there was this strolling command and control center in which were ensconced the leadership of Hamas and the hostages.
Speaker 4: And the Times.
Speaker 5: Wrote that the eleven thousand people killed at that point, which was last week, those eleven thousand people killed were quote in part because of the claim that Al Shifa Hospital housed beneath the ground the command and control center. And then Israel produced all these symtastic images and videos of this hamas command and control center, this intricate, ramified control center with multiple stories that was beneath the hospital, and of course that was completely lunatic. And from early on I was engaged in this thing called tweeting.
Speaker 4: I don't know what twitter or tweeting.
Speaker 5: Art, but I have a very nice young crew of techies who have connected me.
Speaker 4: To social media.
Speaker 5: I've never been on Facebook, I've never been on any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: So I began to tweet.
Speaker 5: I feel humiliate even saying that I began to tweet from early on.
Speaker 4: This is completely ridiculous. This was always claiming.
Speaker 5: Howmos Is got Commas leadership in its basement, and I went back to two thousand and eight, went to the whole thing. So what did we find. Well, here's what we find so far. They were in the hospitals for three days. Now, you really have to listen to this because the cridulity, I would say, the pathological credulity of the media has to make you laugh.
Speaker 4: So they bring in reporters and the reporters see.
Speaker 5: A hole in the ground, a hole in the ground, and they're told this probably leads to tunnels, but we can't go in the hole because it's booby trapped. Really, you can't go in the hole because it's booby trapped. Well, every time Israel goes into Gaza, it claims that homes are booby trapped. That's why it says it blows them up. And I'm thinking to myself, well, let me see here. Israel invented this miracle they call iron dome, right, that's the anti ballistic missile system, anti missile system. So these geniuses, the Israelis, they invented iron dome, the miracle. They called it an iron dome, which deflects incoming missiles in the sky and shatters them to smitherings.
Speaker 8: But Israel hasn't yet figured out how to deactivate a booby trap, hasn't figured out.
Speaker 5: Every time Israel mows the lawn and gaza, it says, we have to blow up all the houses because they're all booby trap.
Speaker 4: They've been doing that since two thousand and.
Speaker 5: Eight, probably much earlier, but I don't know the record, and they haven't yet they figured out how to smash the smitherings incoming ballistic missiles.
Speaker 4: But they say to.
Speaker 5: The reporters, you can't go down because it might be booby trapped, and we don't know how to deactivate a booby trap. I would suggest that if you go into any town of more than one thousand people in the United States, the police know how to deactivate the booby trap, but Israel hasn't figured it out.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Israel says it discovered the tunnel fifty five meters long. Fifty five meters is about half a city block. Okay, okay, half a city block. That doesn't sound to me like AMAS Command and Control Center, which has multiple stories. And we're told if you look at the images and when you put this program up, you can flash just say, you just google Israel images Hamas Command and Control Center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we played it.
Speaker 1: Their animation of what they projected it look like right for me.
Speaker 5: I'm obviously ten times your age. So there was a program when I was growing up called A Man from Uncle Uncle stood for the United Network Command for Law Enforcement. It started a star David McCallum and Robert Vaughan, and it was a spectacular command and control center. And the way you entered it, there was a tailor shop. It was called Del Floria's Taylor Shop. And then you went into the dressing room. You closed the curtain and then you entered Del Floria's. You entered through the dressing room, a trap door. You entered the Man from Uncle headquarters. And this is like the Man from Uncle. So so here's the news story. Here's the news story. They showed us fifty five meters and then they said there was a door there, and we can't go through the door. Can't go through the door because behind the door that's where the command and control center is. But we can't get past the door. It's a very thick door, you know, very thick door. It began to sound like if you remember, one of those pornographic films from the seventies or eighties was called Behind the Green Door.
Speaker 1: Not familiar with that one.
Speaker 4: It was Fame.
Speaker 5: It's like I Am Curious Yellow. These were landmarks. You know, when I was growing up, there was a lot of pornography. There was I Am Curious Yellow, deep throat behind the Green Door.
Speaker 4: And any offense. So this was like behind the Hamas door.
Speaker 5: And you know, I used to live in an area, a very tough area called Washington Heights, and there was a lot of drug.
Speaker 4: Activity in my area.
Speaker 5: Actually, the drug dealers finally drove me out liberally and I was running down the street. Not pleasant, not a happy memory. I wasn't a happy camper that day, and any event, the steel doors were very common. Any NYPD team knows how to knock down the steel door, behind which are the drug the armed drug dealers, but the greatest army in human history, the idea.
Speaker 4: It executed a war that defeated all the.
Speaker 5: Arab armies in nineteen sixty seven and six days. All the Arab armies it defeated in six days. But they haven't figured out how to knock down the door. And behind that door is the command and control center. You know, the whole thing is so laughable, it's so idiotic, But that's the Israelis.
Speaker 4: They count on it. You know why they count on it? Why is that they count on it because they know they can get away with it In the United States.
Speaker 5: They know they could say anything and snow get away with it.
Speaker 1: They only need they only basically need Joe Biden to be buying it at this point, and apparently it seems like he is thus far.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you, though, I.
Speaker 5: Would say that's a very technical term where you mean by him buying it, that assumes he's mentally able to process it, and at this point I don't think that's that should be assumed fair.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you those related question of human shields quote unquote human shields, and I've heard you speak about this before, and your analysis and your review of you know, international human rights organizations and evidence on the record, you say you don't find any evidence that Hamas has used human shields. And the reason I have a question about this is because, first of all, some of their statements, which I'll get to in a minute, but because, as you said, Gaza is so densely packed, it almost seems to me like it would be impossible not to have military assets close to civilian populations, even if that wasn't, you know, if human shield wasn't the goal. So I wonder just speak to that and give us maybe what your definition of a quote unquote human shield is.
Speaker 5: Well, look, excellent question, and these are the questions which I spent forty years of my life trying to come to grips with understand and so I'm very happy that you're asking those questions because they will lend clarity to the truth. Under international law, there are two relatively distinct concepts.
Speaker 4: One is human shielding.
Speaker 5: Now, human shielding has not, been, to my knowledge, and I think I'm running this point.
Speaker 4: Has not been legally defined.
Speaker 5: It's what you might call a term of art, and human shielding basically means, as it's understood by most human rights or organizations those I say, it's not been legally codified. It basically means the conscripting, the forcible conscripting of civilians to either shield a combatant or to shield a military site.
Speaker 4: That would be human shielding.
Speaker 5: The evidence on Palestinian militants hamas fighters engaging in human shielding is near.
Speaker 4: Zero. I have quoted at length, but I won't do so. Now.
Speaker 5: The findings of Amnesty International during the two thousand and eight nine Operation Protected Edge, and they found in a report I referred to it earlier, the twenty two Days of Death and Destruction, they found no.
Speaker 4: Evidence of human shielding.
Speaker 5: Now there's a separate concept, as I said, relatively distinct.
Speaker 4: The second concept is.
Speaker 5: Called quote, taking all feasible precautions to protect civilians if you're fighting in a civilian area. So sometimes, as you point out, if you're dealing with or you're you are amidst the most among the most densely populated areas in the world, You inevitably are at some point going to find yourself resisting from population centers. And then the rule of international law is you have to take all feasible precautions.
Speaker 4: Now, of course, because you're uh, you have a.
Speaker 5: Facility and fluency in the English language.
Speaker 4: The keyword is feasible.
Speaker 5: What at any particular moment might be feasible to protect civilians if you're engaged in fighting in a civil area.
Speaker 4: The only thing I could say is human.
Speaker 5: Rights organizations have accused Hamas in situations, not every situation, but in situations of not having.
Speaker 4: Taken all feasible precautions.
Speaker 5: Now that's only half the story, because the other half of the story is human rights organizations have voluminously documented Israel's use of human shields, Palestinian human shields. So let's take an example that goes back to something we just talked about. Occasionally, Israel enters a house which it fears might be booby trapped.
Speaker 4: What does it do.
Speaker 9: It uses Palestinians as human shields to precede them as they enter the house and say, walk down a staircase.
Speaker 4: So the fact is, yes, there are.
Speaker 5: Voluminously documented instances of Palestinian of human shielding. I remember the instances during Operation Defensive Shield in two thousand and two when they invaded Janine in the West Bank and they took Palestinian They would enter a home.
Speaker 4: And then use the home.
Speaker 5: As a base, fire from windows, and they would put Palestinians in the windows and fire.
Speaker 4: From behind them.
Speaker 5: So, yes, there has been human shielding in the occupied Palestinian territories, human shielding committed by Israel. But the only question we're about to entertain is how extensive is Hamas is use of human shielding. That's the only relevant question Israel human shielding.
Speaker 4: It's not even the.
Speaker 5: Question because it's not acknowledged that exists. It's like before October seventh, nothing happened in Gaza. The whole history, the whole documentary record is whited out. As your generation likes to call it. It's eras and erasure.
Speaker 1: Related to the human shield question, the Hamas official Gazi Hamad recently said in an interview this was a translation. We must teach Israel lesson. We will do it twice in three times. The Alexa flood is just the first time. There will be a second, a third, a fourth, he continued, Will we have to pay a price? Yes, and we are ready to pay it. We are called a nation of martyrs, and we are proud to sacrifice martyrs. How do you interpret those sorts of comments?
Speaker 4: Number one?
Speaker 5: In the United States, anybody who's on to the left on the political spectrum, we always like to use the piece of the wisdom. Wherever there's oppression, there is resistance. So as a factual matter, what he's saying is true, except if the whole population is exterminated, which is I think there's a reason possibility that large numbers will be wiped out. Gaza will turn into a howling wilderness, and each you will have to open its gates, and resistance at that point in God's will be very difficult because there won't be a guzza. But barring that eventuality, yes, he's correct, there will be one. There will be two, there will be three. Guess what, Chrystal ready for this? Brace yourself? There was one, there was two, there was three. Many slave revolts in the United States? Are you shocked by that? Are you shocked that slaves kept revolting? Is that a shocking admission? When he says, we're going to continue to revolt until the walls of this concentration camp are broken down. I'm not shocked by that. The second part of his.
Speaker 4: Admission, Oh my god, he said we as a people are going to resist until we get their freedom.
Speaker 5: Hey, maybe he heard Patrick Henry say give me liberty or give me death.
Speaker 4: That's such an odd notion. I was reading Winston Churchill's.
Speaker 5: Famous speech during World War Two the other day where he said, we're willing to starve, We're willing to die in order to beat the Nazi horror menace whatever he called it. When we say that, that's heroic, that's courageous. It's a hallmark of our civilization that we're willing to be martyrs in the pursuit of freedom. But suddenly, when he says it, it conjures up, she hatties, suicide bombers. It suddenly becomes sinister to say that you're going to fight to the last for your freedom.
Speaker 4: Give me liberty or give me death.
Speaker 1: Another question that I thought was was a good one and worth worth tackling with you, this individual rights. If you think there should be a ceasefire, what is your plan for afterwards? A ceasefire, and then.
Speaker 5: What look excellent question because people don't ask those questions. That's an excellent question. Now, if a ceasefire means that the Palestinians are going to continue to live in peace in the concentration camp, that these fires.
Speaker 4: Obviously not going to hold up.
Speaker 5: That's perfectly obvious, because if you freeze the situation as it is now, the concentration camp remains in place. So I'm not going to pretend that Palestinians, Gossens, the gods of leadership, is going to acquiesce to a ceasefire into eternity. That's obviously a morally depraved.
Speaker 4: And an intellectually insane.
Speaker 5: Proposition, unless you assume, as Israel has always hoped, that the Gossens will simply languish and die in Gaza, they will be forgotten, they will just languish and die. But borry that eventuality. Of course, the ceasefire can't on its own. Of course, the cease fire can't be sustained over a long.
Speaker 4: Period of time.
Speaker 5: And I'm not going to pretend that people in Gaza are going to buide by a ceasefire that leaves them to be born, live and die in a concentration camp. So in my view, the demands now at this moment have to be ceasefire now, and the blockade of Gaza and stop the ethnic cleansing in the West Bank. But those are immediate demands. What has to come afterwards is what I've said already to you to the point of tedium. There has to be a settlement on the basis of international law, because there's no other framework for resolving the conflict. The international community agrees in that framework. There's not been any significant descent except for the United States in Israel, and therefore the ceasefire has to be followed.
Speaker 4: Within a reasonable period of time.
Speaker 5: I can't give the time because the figures, the statements now coming out of Israel are in order to rebuild guys who would take five years. In the northern part, there's nothing there. It's gone, it's been vaporized. So I can't tell you when.
Speaker 4: But I will not.
Speaker 5: Pretend that even if a ceasefire is reached, which Israel opposes and the United States opposes, and Hillary Clinton opposes, even if it were reach, that it would be permanent, because permanent means the people of Gaza permanently confined to a concentration him.
Speaker 1: Last question that I have for you, which is another audience question that I thought was very interesting. Do you believe it is permissible that, as an American with no familial or ancestral ties to Israeli Palestine, that a person cannot side with either group during this conflict. Both groups have and are doing wrong to one another, both have understandable grievances that should be heard. Or is there a moral and civic onus on an otherwise a political and non partisan American to do enough research to have strong enough reasoning to choose a side. So, in other words, do you think it is morally incumbent on people to educate themselves on this conflict sufficient enough that they take a side?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Number one has something to do with familiar or blood or lineal conduction. I hate to sound like an an Old Testament profit.
Speaker 4: I am old, but I'm not a profit.
Speaker 5: Nonetheless, for me, and I think it should be for everyone, the issue is not blood tie, lineal tie, or any other tie.
Speaker 4: It's just about what's true and what's just.
Speaker 5: If Israel what we're doing, we're true, and it was just whatever my personal feelings about it might be, I would have to support them. But number two is the question you asked, I should say the second part what I'm talking about was implied in the question. Now let's get to the literal question. Obviously, it's not within any individual's capacity, except maybe Professor Chomsky. It's not with any individual's capacity to master every conflict in the world and to possess sufficient factual information to render.
Speaker 4: A judgment of right and wrong.
Speaker 5: For most mortals here I'll exclude Professor Johnsky.
Speaker 4: That's not possible.
Speaker 5: However, I have to enter two caveats, two reservations. Caveat number one, This current moment does not require a mastery effects. A genocide is unfolding in real time before our eyes, and so all you have to do is ask yourself a question. Do you think it requires a mastery of facts to render a judgment on whether or not it's right to deny food, water, fuel, and electricity to a civilian population, one half of which is children. Can you I'm asking you, I'm asking you as an intelligent woman, Yeah, as a mother. Can you imagine any circumstance in which you would say, such is the circumstance that I have to agree to deny any food, water, fuel, electricity to one and a half million children.
Speaker 1: No, to me, the current, the current moment is not complicated at all. The history is very complicated. You know, the details of all the peace deals, all of that very complex, But the current situation to me is very cut and dry, actually exactly.
Speaker 5: And number two, the problem is not that people don't know the facts.
Speaker 4: The problem is the people in.
Speaker 5: Power lying and lying and lying and lying about the facts. That's the problem. I excuse ignorance. The other day I was on with two I did two interviews, not to have done so many, but with both Mikhaeleb Peterson and Cands Owens, and each of them began by saying, I really don't know anything about this conflict, and I appreciate that. I appreciate the humility we come in. And I thought that, of course, why should you know? You know, godsas a postage stamp on the world's now, why would you know more about Goza than you would know about a country in Africa. That's I get that. So that to me, it's completely understandable and doesn't raise any significant moral questions. But her father, Mikhaela Peterson's father, Jordan Peterson, is a very sick liar.
Speaker 4: That's a problem to me.
Speaker 5: When he comes up and he says, he's asked by Piers Morgan what caused this conflict, he says, well, I'll tell you what caused it. It was he ran rattling the chain of Hamas, what are you talking about? Israeli intelligence doesn't say that, And then you get.
Speaker 4: You get.
Speaker 5: Kenda's Owens colleague Ben Shapiro, who puts out these videos.
Speaker 4: With one ignorant lie after.
Speaker 5: The other, not even sophisticated lies, so ignorant, so in thisci silic so shameless, so ridiculous, so preposterous, that to.
Speaker 4: Me is the.
Speaker 5: Problem on a moral you know, on a moral level. I remember my mother once said we were talking about Poland no during the war, during her experience during the war, and she said, I never held it against Poles publish people who wouldn't help us, because she said, you know, in Poland, if you helped the Jews during World War too, they just shot you dead. You don't get a trial. You were aimed, the better the Jew boom, you're shot dead. And my mother never pretended to be a hero, and I think in the back of her mind she thought I wouldn't open the door.
Speaker 4: Okay, so she didn't fold them. She said what she faulded was the Poles who's stood along the.
Speaker 5: Wall of the ghetto and were gleeful as they saw what was happening to the Jews.
Speaker 4: Those are the ones she passed judgment on.
Speaker 5: But my mother held by the addity there but for the grace of God go I. I wouldn't let them in my home. If a Jewish flee and looks to my place, looks to my home for refuge, and it's the same thing here. Ignorance is an excuse because the world is a big place, many conflicts. You can focus on one or two most mortal people, but everyone.
Speaker 4: No, not possible.
Speaker 5: But when you are a person of power or prominence and.
Speaker 4: You're using your.
Speaker 5: Position to disseminate the ugliest, the stupidest, the most idiotic lies. I have a friend and Ben Peter Ben Shapiro's in his current video the first two minutes it's about ancient biblical history. Okay, my friend. Her name is Deborah MacCabe. She's the daughter of Hyam Maccabee, the famed British Jewish historian, and she happened to look at that video because I had been writing about.
Speaker 4: It, and she went through just the first two minutes.
Speaker 5: She said, I couldn't find one statement that was even remotely accurate, not one about Joshua, about the name Palestine. And then she mapped out for me this huge scholarly undertaking.
Speaker 4: She's going to expose every lie.
Speaker 5: In the first two minutes, in the first two minutes, and these people use their power and their position to lie as Israel conducts its genocide in Gaza. Those people are revolting, revolting. They're also revolting cowards. Mister Shapiro, you know so much, why don't you debate me? Where's the problem? You like to depend college students. I suppose you debate people in their second trimester, But how about debating an adult who studied it. They won't lead cowards cowards and criminals, criminals.
Speaker 1: Doctor Norman Finkelstein, I know that you are very much in demand right now, and so I'm extremely grateful to you, and our audience is grateful to you taking so much time with us. Anywhere you want people to follow you on Twitter? Is there any one of your books in particular you would recommend to people?
Speaker 4: My technics will kill me.
Speaker 5: But the answer is, I don't even know how to tell somebody to follow me because you have to.
Speaker 4: Go through these steps on the web, and I don't know what it requires. My books, I try not to.
Speaker 5: I don't like to come across as profiting from misery. But if you want background, mine is really the only book out there. It's God's an inquest into its smarter.
Speaker 1: Them, and that's the one that I've been reading, and I would also recommend it to people.
Speaker 3: So it's great to see you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and again, thank you for spending so much time with us my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me, of course,