Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs podcast. I'm Sahadem Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic and Patrick, it is getting hot and heavy on the hot stove where it is. It's going to get busy by the time this podcast releases. Who knows what trades will have happened, but there have been some decent ones. Nothing huge, but we've seen some moves already over the past twenty four hours. The Twins getting Dean Kramer, an interesting trade between Cleveland and Milwaukee. There was another trade last night that I'm blanking on right now. But I know there's been multiple moves over the past twenty four hours. These aren't the huge moves. These aren't the earth shattering moves. I think everything that we're hearing makes it seem like it's going to be a fun deadline. I don't think it's going to be uneventful. But right now, prices are high, and that's part of what we're going to talk about. The big prize of the deadline for probably one of the highest prices of a rental that we're going to see definitely this summer, maybe like for a while, like in a long we haven't seen the price this high for a rental in a while, not in this era where young prospects are so valued. But Trek's gouble. In all likelihood, it seems like we're headed towards inevitably Terrek School is going to end this season on another team and not the Detroit Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this will be obviously the biggest story of the deadline, and the Cubs are involved. I think we were both sort of like waiting to hear kind of a firm know or oh that's crazy, And yes, they think the you know, projected asking prices are crazy, but they haven't shot.
Speaker 3: It down, they haven't ruled it out.
Speaker 2: And I think that doesn't tell us that, you know, schoobl is coming in to Wrigley Field. I think it's more of just how ambitious and open minded they are at this particular transaction transaction cycle. Obviously, the way the team has played. If they were in the Brewers position, I think, you know, their odds forgetting Schooble would have gone up a.
Speaker 3: Lot higher, but it's not zero.
Speaker 2: And I think kind of an interesting part of this as we were reporting it out. I don't think this is going to be like the deciding factor. But it's interesting to hear how Scooble really enjoys Chicago and that his family is very rooted in Arizona. My understanding, he has a home very close to the Cubs MESA Complex, which would make spring training in the Cactus League a very appealing option. And if if you're a free agent at that level, there's only so many teams that are gonna be willing to pay in that range. Granted, for the Cubs, it will probably be an unprecedented commitment to a pitcher. So not saying like the Cubs are slam dunk there by enemies, but it's another like layer to this as you sort of game out different scenarios.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it so the price is is what, like I just cannot get past fully for this, for this to be realistic for the Cubs for two reasons. One, I don't think the Cubs are just like I don't think they're going to get over that hump of like being like, Okay, let's just do this. I know it's ridiculous. I know it's what the model says is that we should not do this, but we're gonna do it, Like I struggle with them getting over that hurdle, and then there's just gonna be a team like Milwaukee or Milwaukee may stick to that mentality as well, because Milwaukee is probably like probably needs to be more disciplined than the Cubs to that philosophy in order to thrive. Right, Like, one misstep and giving up the wrong prospect can set them back. That's just how it works for them. They're so talented, they have so much young talent prospect wise, especially, but the Dodgers, like I feel like if you want to kind of overpay, like the Dodgers can do that. Like they can give you a starter that can go like this year, you know, or a young pitcher that can go right away, and a prospect, you know, a highly thought of prospect that would probably be like in the middle of their top ten. But most other teams, like you know, number one or two prospects. So it just feels like that's that's likely what happens. But I don't want to rule it out because it could, you know, it could become that moment where it's like, look we're going to we're really good. I mean Jed is not I know people. I think people listen to Jed sometimes and just get this idea that he doesn't do aggressive moves. He doesn't do things that you know, because of the intelligence spending became such a big deal twenty thirty two became such a big deal with Carter, they just think they don't give up prospects ever, and I don't think that's true. You have there has to be a balance here. I mean, they paid up for Kyle Tucker and the prospect like with prospects and talent. They gave money to Alex Bregman. He spent in that big shortstop class. Yes it was the cheapest shortstop of that class, but it's also the most valuable shortstop from that class. So it's not like he's afraid to make moves. And he was right hand man during all those big moves. I know everyone only wants to give credit to the THEO on that, but Jed was a part of that, so he does get some credit for it. So maybe he proves me wrong here. I also just don't know if it's the right move, But like Terrek Schooble would obviously change things, and I think with an elite defense, and in a damn good offense. I guess you can say lead offense because by war it's the best in baseball. Uh, it makes a lot of sense. Add Schooble, add some relievers, and and you have one of the best, if not the best team in baseball, certainly a team that can compete with the Dodgers, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean the players in the clubhouse, Craig Counsel, his coaches have you know, put together a product that makes them seriously consider Scooble, Like you know, they have passed the eye test, and.
Speaker 3: They've shown a lot of resiliency in that.
Speaker 2: Regard overcoming injuries, not letting the season go off the rails. You're right about Jed, And I get it why fans are skeptical. Like we write about this stuff, we talk about this stuff. You can sometimes feel the eye rolls, or you see the comments on social media or within the comments section itself. And yeah, he did not have like the greatest trade deadline last year, and it looked odd to get a contract extension in a lame duck year before the deadline, and then to really just sort of play it safe and like every move made sense on paper. But it did not substantially raise the ceiling for that team. So I get all that. But and part of this is, you know, Jed's personality, how he presents himself. To his credit, he's very available. He talks to the media a lot, so I think, and I think that helps him in the long run. You know, fans can see his point of view, but it is a lot of like payroll flexibility model projects playoff probabilities. But that's not the entire breath of his experience as someone who was you know, you know, I wrote the other day at Kurt Chilling's house for Thanksgiving. You know, he's meeting with a rod trying to get him in the Red Sox, the Nomar trade, throws Chapman trade, and even more recent, hey, Kintana, the Tucker trade. And I also think the pursuit of Bregman and how they circled back to him and you know, raised their offer and fundamentally changed it in several different ways, clearly demonstrated level of aggressiveness and creativity. And I do think the dynamics of in the front off this, you mentioned Carter, you know, he is sort of a governor on some of this stuff.
Speaker 3: He is obviously very hype.
Speaker 2: He's hyper rational, and I think as Jed has done this for such a long time, and he has adopted, you know, some of Theo's qualities. I mean, THEO is sort of a one of one, very unique character. But you know, Jed knows what a really good team looks like, and this is it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's that's the big thing. Right, He's been around for a long time. It's not like he can't identify the keys to He identified when he saw how important defense was to that twenty sixteen team, and he's like, I want to make that the bedrock of my next great team. And he executed it really well. And this team is an elite defensive team once again. And that's a big reason why they have a chance to go far in the playoffs. It's a big reason why you know, they can weather the storm and sometimes overcome pitchers that don't miss a lot of bats. That it makes them a better team, like in ways that I think sometimes we don't fully appreciate. It is it's their like bedrock, it's what they can fall back on. It's like, oh the bats are kind of slumping, Okay, maybe we can win a game two to one because because our defense will just you know, smother the other team in a sense. All right, let's, uh let's take a quick break and then when we come back, we'll we'll talk about uh more pitchers and uh you know, pitching, pitching, pitching, I think is the thumb process going forward.
Speaker 4: Big second half of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and seakeeek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 5: Why would you not use se geek if you want to view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app. It's easy to use. It's one click boom. You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into. You can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on seekk.
Speaker 4: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo code running all season long. Territory one zero. That's Territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 6: There is one place to be entrede deadline day watching Foul Territory of course. Aj Perdinski, Aeric Kratz, and Scott Brown will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline dry Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be.
Speaker 1: Covered Patrick, There's obviously going to be a lot of names talked about. Prospects will be a big part of this deadline, as they always are, so go to Baseball America and check out their analysis on the players traded. Baseball America is the best place to learn about all the prospects on the move this trade deadline season. Now through Monday, our viewers get thirty percent off the first year of any digital annual digital annual subscription with promo code north north Side thirty. That's code north Side thirty at Baseballamerica dot com. Speaking of prospects, Freddy Peralta is a name that's out there that is, you know, attractive to a lot of teams, including the Cubs. And one thing about Paralta, one thing that we're hearing right now is the asking price for Paralta is pretty high. I believe our buddies Ken Rosenthal and Will Salmon reported that it is a top one hundred level prospect right now. Is the current asking price. I think both of us have been told, like to just in general, the asking price. Asking prices are really high these things. That's just the case. In like seventy two hours, forty eight hours, like it starts to change in then around now, like it can start to like prices can start to change, but right now it's it's high.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're recording on Saturday morning ahead of a night game, weather permitting at Wrigley Field, And I think the sense we got was Okay, once you get into the weekend, things might start to pick up a little little more, teams start to find at least a bit more common ground. But there is nothing like a deadline to get these things done. And you know where is the Cubs are all over the pitching mark. We obviously have to start with schooble, like both with our show and our sort of reporting process, Like you know, if they're not setting a cap there, they're going to be looking all over peralta obvious connection to Craig Council.
Speaker 3: You know, they have a good relationship. I looked at it.
Speaker 2: I was surprised at how many pitchers the Cubs have added from the Brewers over the last you know, two and a half seasons, three years, wherever you want to start it from when he left the Brewers. I think the Cubs have a couple ideas about, you know, how to help unlock him and get him back on track. And it's the same logic that drove the David Peterson deal. Just change of scenery, better defense, see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is one like when he's right one of the best pitchers in the game, like great stuff like good competitor, like just you know, maybe not Cy Young Award winner, not as dominant as Schoobale, but certainly someone that you can trust when he's right. And right now he isn't so or he's just not getting the results. It doesn't seem like he's way off. But yeah, certainly teams and we know the Cubs have ideas of like, this isn't you know, this isn't something that's unfixable. There's a way that you know, you can get this guy back to who he was. He's he came off one of the best seasons of his career, Like it wasn't like we're years removed from Freddy Peralta being great, Like he's a very good pitcher. Who was you know, borderline Cy Young contender and and now it's just been an awful season with the Mets. You know, some things are a little different with him, and and if the Cubs can get that right, the question is do you believe you can do it, Like is it a quick fix? Right, Like you don't you can't have a project. And my understanding is that they don't see it as like something that would be like weeks or months long project that they there are some tweaks that could get him back to being pretty damn good pretty quickly going to be executed. Cant like, what does he feel really good right now?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it as simple? Is there any mental are there any mental hurdles that need to be crossed?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 1: Those are questions that they need to figure out. And obviously the price. I think they're hoping the price goes down because they don't want to pay that hefty price. There have been Like I think there's a little more pitching available this year than there was last, so maybe prices won't be as crazy as last year. We didn't see as many deals last year, but the deals we saw there were some solid prospects moved Merrill, Kelly, Dustin May. These aren't like huge needle movers, and they got decent packages in return, nothing like overwhelming. It wasn't like the Mason Miller package, but they were solid, solid players traded in those moves. I personally thought that dust and May trade was kind of crazy at the time, and I mean he did not perform well enough for Boston to give up a prospect that ended up being top one hundred and James Tibbs at the third.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we've heard as well as just like they discuss everyone essentially, they look into just about everything and like cost is a factor here, like they're going to weigh all of that. That's why you know you could always tweet out cubs interested in pitcher X. You're probably right, like to some varying degree, we're focusing on the ones that we know and kind of why.
Speaker 3: They're interested in them.
Speaker 2: And I think you know one name you've been on top of a side of is Kevin Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 1: What do you gotta Yeah, yeah, I mean they are interested. They the peripherals are the same as last year. Uh, it's not like the velo is like ticked down to a scary level. Uh, it's still the same pitch mix. Uh. You know, he's what is a fastball, splitter slider. I believe, uh it everything looks the same under the hood, and then you see the cra at like four and a half, like a full tick above last year. He is not the the guy that was did he win a cy Young or he was competing for US cy Young? I believe when he was with the Giants. He's not fully that guy. That guy was pushing like thirty percent strikeout rate like his first couple of years, his last couple of years in San Francisco, and then his first couple of years in Toronto. This was like an exceptional level. This is a guy that would be really good in my opinion, I like, I think he makes a lot of sense, and I'm hearing that they are interested in Kevin Gossman. Again, it's price. My guess is he's going to cost less than Freddy Beralta. He's just not having as good of a season. He's an a pending free agent. But I like the fact that the peripherals look. I think I said this on the last last podcast, or maybe I said this when we went on with our buddy Jesse Rodgers, but he just feels like the guy that is, you know, has the experience, has done it before. Is kind of like just not getting the greatest results right now, but it is very similar to who he was in the past and could have like two great months. I know that's not that I think fans get a little worried about that. I remember, I'll just bring this up and not to like be like, see I told you it was right, But like when I mentioned Raso Grace Iglesias last year, the comments, the pushback I got on that was like people were like, that is dumb, Like he's having a terrible season, he stinks. His second half with Atlanta last year was awesome. Like he was dominant, he was a stud reliever, and like there was a chance that he was available. He didn't get traded, but he was a stud. He figured it out and because he's a good reliever, he's a veteran reliever, and he's having another great season right now. But that's the type of idea this is. This is a guy with the history, This is a guy that performed in the postseason, and this is a guy whose stuff hasn't just like completely fallen off a cliff. And there's a lot of indicators that say he's the same guy. The era is the only thing that's different, and teams don't look at only er.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the Cole Hamil's comp from twenty eighteen. I think Jed sort of explained that over our podcast last year, and so that that makes a ton of sense.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: You know it'll come down to pretty close to the deadline there, all right, Was it cost between these two guys. I like the idea of someone you can just sort of plug in and let him figure it out. You're in a pretty good position regarding the wild card. This sounds like less of a project than Freddy, which I know you said they don't think it's like a major project, but there is still it seems a little riskier with Freddy. Maybe the upside's higher because of his age and what he did last year.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I guess this is one of those classic like like just be right. You know, the guy will have whatever it is, maybe ten twelve starts, you know, playoff appearance or two like you know, he'll just have to be at his best.
Speaker 1: Then absolutely, we're also hearing that. You know, I think this was obvious. I think the Cubs are going to add bullpen help. And you know, when when Jed talks about this in the past, I mean they've had good bullpens in the past and still added because it just doesn't matter. You have to add arms. And I thought Council explained it well when we were talking about it. What day are we at Friday? Pregame? He I was kind of pushing him on adding bullpen and basically is he ultimately came to the very simple point that, look, you cannot add after after Monday, Like the waiver wire deadline doesn't exist anymore. You used to be able to like sneak guys through the waiver wire and then trade them and you could add like depth pieces for your bullpen. That doesn't happen anymore. So this is your roster after August third or whatever booth Like this weird date is now throwing me off. I think that's right. Right, today's August first, So that makes sense. So they are going to add bullpen help. What level of bullpen help, I think is the question. There's some big names that I've heard that they're interested in. I think Adrian Morojone would be like the only lefty that they'd like be really interested in. But that's different. He's like a game changer. They have some good lefties. I at first, I was like, initially I almost forgot about like their kind of depth of lefties. Like Ryan Rollinson's having a really good season. Caleb Thielbar is having a weird season, like giving up more home runs than he normally does, but his strike gout rate is insanely good, you know, I wouldn't be shocked if he's you know, the final two months, he's just dominant again. Like, he looks good, he looks fine, just some weird home run issues every now and then, and then you know, decent depth. If Hobe Milner comes back, and we'll see what this Kelly kid is, Antoine Kelly, I don't want to put anything on this kid. Yet. He looked good for like an inning and a third that's one one in a third inning. But you know they like him. He's got good stuff. So that's but if that's your fourth option, I think they'll be they'll take that right. But Morahane is the type that it's like you don't think about whether he's right handed or left handed. He's just a dominant reliever that you can probably have close games. And I think the biggest question there are two questions here, will the Padres actually move him. The Padres are kind of back in it now. Everything we're hearing is like back and forth on that. So I I wouldn't be shocked if Prowler hedges and says, let's move some of the pending free agents. Let's let's keep Mason Miller and the guys that aren't pending free agents. His system is pretty rough right now, so it could make sense for them to move him. The two other big names that could be available stuff wise, Luke Weaver and Jeff Hoffman. I think the biggest thing there. It's like, yeah, the Cubs are interested, it's going to be prospect costs, and also they have to consider, like both of those guys make eleven million dollars a year next year, Like do the cut? Like, yeah, the Cubs went out of their comfort zone and added film Aton and that didn't work. Do they want to allocate eleven million dollars for reliever next year when we know nothing about the CBA? But then they're set second tier?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I asked around to try and figure out, like, do you have to get like a bat misser? Do you have to like is it absolutely necessary that you get someone that you can really trust? And they're like, we could also just like kind of spray around and get a few. That's what they did last last deadline, And they did not expect Kittridge to be the pitcher that he was for them. He was much better than expected. I think the era may have been a little bit elevated, but he was striking out like nearly like thirty five nearly forty percent of the guys, and he wasn't walking anyone, and he became this huge piece in the postseason. So, like, you add two or three guys like that lower level that you know don't cost you much prospect wise, maybe one clicks. I don't love it. It also is kind of sometimes what you kind of have to do with a bullpen. But I think they need to add one more bat misser and then hope for some help and get guys like Palencia back. I think Hunter Harvey's a wild card. You cannot rely on him. Justin Steele, Ben Brown, if they're coming out of the bullpen, those would all be like bonus bets that you can hope for. But I think it's risky to rely on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Kind of listening to your explanations and our various slack and texts exchanges, and I do think if we're sort of tempering expectations or creating a realistic framework, Like you don't get Scooble, but you get a guy you trust to start a playoff game, and you get at least one reliever who can pitch like the eighth inning of a playoff game, Like that's a good deadline, Like even if it's not scooble like that significantly that can make your team better in a really significant way. And I think it when you add a piece at the front of the rotation and like piece at the back of the bullpen, it just it just kind of shrinks the game and it pushes players into just better spots on the roster. Like I think you're limiting some exposure that way. I think you know, we've seen it with some of these relievers, you know, like it was regression coming. Can you trust them the rest of the way? And I think you just you build the depth, You give yourself a couple more insurance policies, And I think the Cubs have shown enough to this point where they if they do do that where they do kind of the grab bag approach and the bullpen, like one of them probably will stick.
Speaker 3: And one will be bad and one you know will be like.
Speaker 2: Sort of you know, okay, but we'll make a playoff roster and you know, getting lucky with small sample sizes, Like I've heard that via another organization, Like that's not only a Cups thing. It's not totally unreasonable to think. I think we're still at I think the over under now on pitchers they get might be two and a half. I think that's it's probably right right around there, you know, depending on the level of starter. But I think you gotta you gotta get at least one in both areas rotation in both then.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely agree. I would be surprised if they don't. And you know, I don't think it'll be an underwhelming starter like Soroka. Soroko has had a really good season. I think with the yeah.
Speaker 3: They hurt, but the yeah, but he was good and the hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he's clearly they see the talent there. They didn't. They didn't get the talent evaluation completely wrong there. It's just, you know, the pictures get hurt and and it's not like it was out of the blue that he got hurt. But all right, we're going to have our next episode, will be right after soon after the deadline. Uh so by the time we are talking to you guys, there will be new cubs. They're they're they're not sitting still. Jed Hoyd, it doesn't matter buying selling, what type of season is teams having. He makes moves. Moves are going to be made. We'll see what they are. We'll see what the Cubs get done. But that's it for right now. Thanks for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and are on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening and watching everyone. Take care.