Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show. B Jon Robinson, come on down. You're now the highest paid running back in the sport, at least for the time being until Jimior Gibbs of the Lions gets his contract. But earlier today, about two and a half hours ago, Djon Robinson and the Falcons signed a deal that is going to bring him with incentives up to twenty five million dollars a year. Sa Quon Barkley is second on the list at twenty point six million, then Christy McCaffrey at nineteen million. We say good morning. If you're watching the program on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And we say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. We have a new poll question for the Final Hour. A senior NFL writer for The Athletic Mike Sando, has a deep dive on the quarterback list. We love quarterback list in late July and early August, so thank you Mike for putting that out. We have preseason football coming up. That'll be Thursday night, Thursday Night Football. It will be the Panthers against the Cardinals, the WNBA on NBC and Peacock's Sunday Page. Beckers and the Wings take on Olivia Miles and the Links. The WNBA live on NBC and Peacock and You have an opportunity to be part of the DP show calendar. This year we have yearbook photos. Send us your worst ones and hopefully we'll include it in the calendar. The address DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul Dan one tidbit on the Thursday night Hall of Fame game, you know, starting for the Panthers at quarterback Marvin's favorite quarterback, Kenny Pickett.
Speaker 2: Kenny Pickett, all right, small hands you night, Let's give you my hand here? Yay? Now I was given Kenny pit get a hand, not you, Marvin. Okay, Kenny Pickett, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: I just cannot believe. Kenny Pickett is the reason why people come up to me, put their hands up and want to measure. It just happened, just one random morning. Ray wanted to measure hands and I was like, come on, just do it.
Speaker 2: And it changed your life.
Speaker 4: It changed seems life, and it changed my life simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Because Kenny Pickett had hand size that was under nine and Ray big day. Ray goes, why don't we just measure everybody's hands in here? And I thought for sure everybody thought that Seatan was going to win. And all of a sudden and the and we did it live, so we didn't know the I didn't even know the end results. It's like the person with the smallest hands, Marvin and Seatan. I don't know if he's ever been that happy. I mean maybe with getting married and having you know, the birth of his son, but that's probably it. Yeah, Paulie Dan.
Speaker 3: I just went back and looked at the twenty twenty two NFL combine, the scouting and Kenny Pickett during measurement day his hand size was eight and one half inches. Dan the only draftee under eight inches eight nine inches at the quarterback position. And there was a revelation the next day on sports radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah it still is. I mean, imagine being Kenny Pickett. Marvin, Now, sure I don't play quarterback, You're right, yeah, But there was a little boy. We were in Arizona at the Super Bowl and we did a meet and greed after the show. This little guy comes up and he puts his hand up and Marvin thinks he's giving him a high five. He goes, no, no, no, I want to see how my hand compares to yours. I'm like, oh, man, but you're a good sport. I think I think that's when the audience realized that, you know, you were one of us, you were going to be a dan at, you were going to fit in nicely.
Speaker 4: Yes, mart I think that was the beauty about being a backroom guy. Before here you knew what the show was about. Off it is for you, the better it is for everybody Else's contest Dylan pull question. For the final hour of the program, we.
Speaker 5: Got another banger from Todd per usual, begging for autographs that training camp, stadium or arena is dot dot dot so much fun and part of the fan experience. Kind of lame unless you're a kid, I guess pathetic, especially when you say it's for your child or cool if you can get some good dough for it on eBay, But where's your certificate of authenticity?
Speaker 2: Decisions decisions? I think if you're a grown up, it's kind of weird. Or if you say you're getting it for your son or daughter and I've seen it before, and you know, the marketplace for memorabilia is going crazy, and these athletes know, hey, I'm going to sign that. It increases the value right away. I mean people send me stuff for me to sign. No, granted, I don't know if it's worth anything because I've signed it, but you do sign it in you hope it comes from a good place that they do want something that they want to keep. Odds are they probably don't? Yes? Yes? Doing?
Speaker 5: Do you like the guy who's like waiting outside of a celebrities hotel or something and they come out He's like, can you sign this for my kidney as a stack of like fifty head shots?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and you'll and they know where everybody is. That that's the amazing part of it. This is big business. They know what a hotel you're going to be in. Uh, you know the players where they're going to be, and you know they're able to take advantage of that. Yeah, Paul, I'm with Todd on this one.
Speaker 3: I saw some training camp stuff yesterday and there's like sixty or eighty fans there and there's an eleven year old going shoulders shoulder at a big sweaty fifty year old. There should be a pen that's you know, twelve and under that they sign autographs and the adults have to wait till they're done. I'm being serious. I mean, it's just it was a battle. You see these little kids half their size.
Speaker 2: You're going to put them in a in a corral, Yes.
Speaker 3: A corral that yeah, pens, a corral.
Speaker 2: Now holding pens. You see what a college football shows common sense over convenience, and it doesn't happen very often. Notre Dame and USC the rivalry returns in twenty thirty. I know that's a long way away, but I like that we are back to maybe scheduling some quality opponents outside of our conference schedule. So Notre Dame USC grew up with the rivalry, love the rivalry. And it's a subtle but important shift in scheduling philosophy because elite programs no longer have to fear scheduling another heavyweight. If the expanded playoffs gives us something, maybe that's what it's going to be. That you'll schedule the game in the first, second, or third week and it won't impact whether you make the playoffs or not. If I go to twenty thirty. Week one will be a Los Angeles Notre Dame USC, twenty thirty one Week one in South Bend, and then twenty thirty two and twenty thirty three. They don't have dates yet, but they will take place within the first three weeks of the regular season. I like it when Texas plays Ohio State. I like it now. Was it LSU and Oregon years ago? In Jerry's world, It's just it's great to start off the college football season. But it impacted you greatly if you lost that game. It felt like now, if you won that game, well you got a head start on everybody else. A couple of phone calls in here. Let's see Nate in La Hi, Nate, what do you have for me today? Morning?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 7: So, while you're in Maine, can we move your monitor in studio from underneath the cameras whenever it cuts the todd he's looking directly into the camera, which I tolerated until this morning, when he kept saying I like to watch other I'm sitting on the edge of my bed.
Speaker 8: We both legs about pants.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thank you, Nate.
Speaker 9: I could see where that would be awkward for him.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is Michael and Sarasota. Hi, Michael, Hey Dan, how you doing.
Speaker 10: I just want to say congrats to the dan Ads for holding it down. But just a couple of quick questions here. One is kind of a funny one, but my Cowboys, who do you think would have a bigger cultural impact winning if they won the Super Bowl this year?
Speaker 2: Them or the New York Knicks.
Speaker 10: And my second question is for the salary cap for MLB. If they were to implement this salary cap, what happens to the teams that.
Speaker 2: Are let's say over the salary cap already? Well, you know you pay a price of luxury tax with that. But I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, Michael. I think it's one of those how's this going to feel? How are teams going to adapt? Dodger's still going to spend. But I applaud them for reinvesting in their team because a lot of owners don't do that. You know, I mentioned yesterday seventy percent of the owners they'll reinvest fifty percent. Okay, that's that's not good enough. If you're trying to win, and maybe you're not trying to win, maybe you want to be competitive. Maybe that's what I'm missing, you know, keep this in mind with the Notre Dame in USC. Lincoln Riley I think was the one when he got to USC he didn't want to continue this. But it feels like this is the athletic department saying, no, we want to continue this. But and I don't know, is Lincoln Riley going to be at USC in twenty thirty when this rivalry resumes. But I think going into the Big Ten, we don't want to add, you know, or have Notre Dame their quality opponent. You know, we're going to be fighting for survival in the Big Ten. But it feels like this might be the athletic department saying this sounds like a good thing to revisit.
Speaker 3: Yes, paulin Lincoln Riley did respond to one of the local reporters, the UC head coach about it. He said, we're looking forward to playing this game early in the season, even though it's way down the road. He said, quote, we're part of a conference. We have a conference schedule to answer to. We don't make our own schedule.
Speaker 2: Unquote, ooh, a little shot there, A little shot. Ben in des Moone, Hi, Ben.
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my call six three just to put a bow on the school trade of the Dodgers. How much of that you mentioned, you know, the Dodgers the exactly give.
Speaker 7: Up a Hall.
Speaker 6: How much of that is just due to the fact that the Tigers maybe felt some loyalty or wanted to let him go to his preferred destination. And then also, you know, in recent memory, I can't think of any blockbuster trades or a small market team made a deal that really them over the top to get to the World Series. You know, Ben over forty years for the Brewers. Now, as a Burs fan, I'm good. Let's just roll with the guys we got and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Thanks well, the Tigers traded Verlander to the Astros. He won two World Series titles. The Indians traded C. C. Sabathia to the Brewers. He went eleven and two. Now they didn't have postseason success that year. The Royals traded Jorge Solar to the Braves. He was the World Series MVP for the Braves. The Yankees traded Eroldis Chapman to the Cubs. The Cubs won the World Series. There are teams that will get players and it might be the one player that they need. So We're talking about the Astros getting Verlander, the Brewers getting c C. Sabathia, the Braves getting Solar, and the Cubs getting roled as Chapman. Not exactly small market teams, but still these guys are available. The question is, and I don't know if Justin Berlander said I don't want this is where I want to go. And my loyalty to Trek scoobl is, thank you, thank you, and for the cy youngs and the great performance. But we're running a franchise here. You're running a business. We're running a business. We got to do what's best for our team. You can't go you know what. We gave him up and we didn't get the best that we could because we wanted to send him to where he wanted to go. Yes, Marvin, best.
Speaker 4: Case scenario for MLB the Brewers and the Dodgers in the NLCS where you have a star player in Masarowski. This is how you pronounce his name, Miserowski, a guy that's throwing one hundred against the Dodgers with Schooble. Is that the best case scenario for MLB? Will it bring more eyeballs? I know we say this.
Speaker 2: Every year, but yeah, I think you're going to have people will be fascinated with the Dodgers, but most of America would root for the Brewers because you would say, you know, I can identify with that team. They don't have the budget the Dodgers do, and it's the big guy like the Yankees and Dodgers. People are probably torn. Who do I have roots for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI, I went back and tried to find the air quote, small market team that acquired someone at the trade deadline. In six the Detroit Tigers at ninety five wins and lost the World Series. The following year, in the offseason, they traded for Miguel Cabrera, the great hitter from the Florida Marlins. They acquired Cabrera to try to make that run.
Speaker 2: I have plowed teams that are taking a chance. If you had that chance, you just don't want to look back and go, man, we might have had the best team, or if we had somebody your window of opportunity it is so small in all of these sports unless you have that money to make a mistake. You know, Dodgers, they had Jordan Alvarez in their system and let him go. He's gonna win the triple crown this year. So you do make mistakes. The question is how many mistakes do you made and how costly are they? Matthew and Texas. Hey, matt what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 8: Yours truly? Hey, I just gave my Father of the Bride speech in Spain last week and it went over very well. Had two quick tips for you. First of all, you want to get the crowd involved. First of all, I did a football chance since they won the World Cup, got everybody on my side. The second point I would make is, I know you said you want to keep it light hearted but also heartfelt. So in order to do that, you also want to keep some eye contact with your daughter, look at her when you're light hearted as opposed to heartfelt, because you want to keep it together, keep everything moving, and you don't want to lose it. And obviously it's easy to do in that moment.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Matthew. I am taking advice from a couple of the listeners. They said, go to the where the reception is going to be, find out where the microphone's going to be, and then go over there and stand and just so you get acclimated and that therefore it won't be new when I walk up there. But thank you, Matthew. I've received a lot of really good advice, and I appreciate that I am writing down the speech because then I don't have to make eye contact the entire time. I'm going to be looking down. Now I'll look up, you know, for laughter. I'll be very careful though, with a couple of things I have to say that I'm not going to be able to look over to my daughter won't be able to do it. But I'm bringing my son up there. He'll if I falter, then he'll fill in the gray area and hopefully he'll say something nice about his sister.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Dylan, Do you have markings on the speech like pause for laughter and a.
Speaker 2: Pause you know? No, I don't think there'll be notes there in the margins. It'll be just there. Will not be a happier person in America than me when that speech is over, because then I'm gonna get my drink on. Now I do have the father daughter dance. Who cares if I screw that up? Bean, Paul, You're gonna be walking away from that speech. It's gonna be like a runner at the New York Marathon. People are gonna handing you beers. Yes, I'm gonna be walking out like Joe Namath when he won the Super Bowl. I have my finger in the air like we did it. All right, we'll talk some football. Mike Sandos Quarterback Tier results for twenty twenty six. They're here and we'll come back and talk to him after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: And in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 10: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 11: Oh you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again. YouTube. Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: Mike Sando, senior NFL writer for The Athletic. He's a Hall of Fame voter, and his twenty twenty six Quarterback Tiers column drops today. Todd thought it was tea rs like tears, I said, I said, no, it's levels.
Speaker 9: I have tears about bow Nick's not big and level.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, PAULI was telling Fritzy Bownicks is like a Tier three quarterback, and Fritzi's going apoplectic on everybody here. So Mike's been doing this his thirteenth annual survey, ranking all the quarterbacks into five tiers from best to worst, and also did this with a help of votes from fifty NFL coaches and execus ives. Thirty five veteran quarterbacks are ranked sorted into five tiers from best to worst. We will welcome back Mike. Mike, thanks for joining us. Give me the criteria for Tier one.
Speaker 9: I'm glad that you're asking about criteria.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 9: We need a criteria for the Hall of Fame. I think criteria is the key to all of these lists. Do you have one? And for top tier it's really you know, do you carry the team each week? Do you handle those pure pass situations, meaning we got to throw the ball. They know we got to throw the ball. They're more nervous on defense than we are on offense. And you kind of know that if you're a fan of a team when you have to throw it, everything gets stripped away and you don't really have a major hole in your game. That's Tier one, Okay.
Speaker 2: So Patrick Mahomes is the the number one quarterback, even coming off an injury. And I always look at these lists and go, Okay, there's a regular season quarterback and then there's a postseason quarterback. Josh Allen. Regular season quarterbacks been unbelievable, Lamar Jackson, regular season quarterback. When we get into the postseason, then it's different. And I don't know if these rankings would be different if I said, give me the postseason quarterback as opposed to the regular season quarterback.
Speaker 9: I really agree with that, and even Josh Allen was in Tier one. But I felt like when we get to these playoff games, there's a sloppiness around Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen. The balls on the ground, sometimes there's wasted opportunities. You don't feel like they fully understand how precious each possession is, right whereas with somebody like Mahomes, they're on top of all of that and they tend to not make those kind of sloppy mistakes, and it just feels like a more of a well oiled machine, and that really does serve you well when the margins are smallest in those playoff games.
Speaker 2: You only have three quarterbacks in Tier one. Jill Burrow, Oh yeah, you have Stafford. Okay, Joe Burrow feels like he's gotten a little bit of a hall pass injuries. He did go to the Super Bowl, but this is one of those win healthy kind of rankings.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I would say the last two years his numbers are almost identical to Lamar Jackson's and he's played five fewer games. I do think that there is a premium put on the peer passing, the ability to throw the ball from the pocket. That's the most consistent sustainer of success, not only in a course of a season, but a course of a career. You don't see a lot of dual threaders at age thirty seven, dual threading anybody, right, So I think that really helps Joe Burrow. And look, he was spectacular a couple of years ago. People understand his defense was absolutely horrible. I think, you know, when I go on and have a conversation in Seattle, why isn't Sam and Arnold higher well number one defense and special teams in the league. People know how they win the games, right, Sam can do it sometimes, he doesn't do it all the time, and so I think those Tier one guys like Burrow, you feel like he can do it all the time. It's not like he's missed full season in the last couple of years. So I think that's why he gets a little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: But you got Baker Mayfield and Sam Donald slotted together. It feels like Baker Mayfield does more to help his team win than Sam Donald.
Speaker 9: I think that's defensible. Yeah, I think that's true. I think Donald probably, you know, winning the Super Bowl, there's probably some kind of a premium on that. One of the great conversations I had with somebody was like, you know what were Eli Manning or Joe Flack who over the course of their careers those Super Bowls were everything? And obviously they made some big plays in those Super Bowls too to win. But I think that helps. That helps Donald low too. I feel like people feel like with Baker Mayfield that he is probably slipped a little bit last year, that it fell off around him and he had a much harder time, and so I think that's probably why he kind of slipped a little bit there and we'll see what happens this year. Doesn't really feel like Tampa's on fire either. That situation feels valatile to me.
Speaker 2: The Jalen Hurts ranking is always fascinating because if I said, hey, you got to pick your quarterback for the postseason, Jalen Hurts is going to be in my top five because I've seen there, there's enough of the sample size there. But why is he seventeenth on this list? In your opinion?
Speaker 9: I think that it is hard to you know, it's hard to parse out credit in football, harder than the other ones when you have great teams around him or not. And I think he's really done it when he's had the best offensive line in the league, they've had a great running game that he's a big part of, and increasingly, you know, at least lately, they've had a really good defense. So like, would the Eagles trade how many put it this way, how many players ranked higher on this list would the Eagles trade Hurts for? I think it'd be a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Who would you trade? Okay, so Mahomes, Allen, Stafford, Borough, Lamar.
Speaker 9: Yep, Herbert, Oh yeah, every day of the week. Dak probably may for sure. Yes, sure, I think so.
Speaker 2: Jordan Love Yes, uh, Rock Party.
Speaker 9: Caleb Williams, I mean, Caleb, I think people would take for the long runway in the future. You know, pretty that depends. I mean some people think he's product of system to a degree too. But we're getting you know, after that, Jayden Daniels, Darnold. I think, Lawrence, this is what I think about Jalen Hurts. Do you think how excited do you think they are right now to sign him, to give him a raise and a big extension.
Speaker 2: Probably not thrilled.
Speaker 9: And do you think he's They just picked up a twenty twenty eight first round pick in that aj Brown trade. When they did that, my mind kind of went to I wonder how much longer Jalen Hurts is their quarterback as opposed? And if Jalen Hurts were available, like would people will be clamoring to get him. I mean, he would make money and get a job, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'd be the same as if those guys above them were.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's say Baker Mayfield's available in Jalen Hurts same price.
Speaker 9: I mean I would probably take Baker Mayfield would you No. I feel like Jalen Hurts really needs to run. It needs his legs to be part of this, and I don't trust that the older he gets, I guess this is where I'm coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's fair. And you talk about the offensive line. I get all that he has weapons, he got a great running back. I understand all that. But I have seen him on the biggest stage in two Super Bowls be the best guy on the field. Yeah. So I just I keep coming back to that, whether that's fair or not. Bo Nicks did a great job with the Broncos. You got him leading a Tier three Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think he had four Tier two votes last year, seven twenty one this year. So that's a big jump.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud's the one that's kind of fascinating you just lingering there at number twenty.
Speaker 9: He is, and I think that it's a huge year for him. They finally got him some offensive lineman. I think, you know, I think that's he is one of those quarterbacks. I think Herbert's in this category two where you know they've taken some hits and you get a feeling sometimes watching them that it's affecting them even maybe when the rush isn't there and you can kind of get a syndrome as a quarterback where it's hard to pull out of that. And I think this is a really big year for both of those quarterbacks to kind of feel comfortable again, feel good again. And Shrouds clearly has it in him. But they have not had an offensive line, And it doesn't mean it's all the line's fault, but I think we've seen without one, he has a hard time kind of beating the pressure, beating the defense with his anticipation in the quick, confident throws that we've seen some of the or other quarterbacks be able to make.
Speaker 2: I'm federally mandated to ask you about Shador Sanders. You have him as the thirty fifth ranked quarterback.
Speaker 9: Out of thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is this just kind of an incomplete that we're not We're still not sure what we have here.
Speaker 9: It's worse than that, because thirty seven of the voters put him in tier four. To be in tier four, you're either you know, somebody you wouldn't want to go to the whole season with. It could be like a Jacoby Brissette. Right, we sort of know what he is and we don't. We want to get a different guy, or tier four can be the guy's barely started any games, you know, let's put him in tier four. So you could give Shoudre some of that. But he got twelve in tier five. I got the most of anyone in here.
Speaker 2: JD.
Speaker 9: McCarthy got ten. So that's five is like not a starter period, And so people really, you know, question his you know, some of the sathysical ability, you know, and then just his his accurate See, people didn't feel like was very good at all last year, so you know it. In my mind, I also wonder like, okay, do people not like him too? You know, just his his attitude, his approach, his pedigree, lack of a better word, just coming up the way he did. I don't think that probably helps him.
Speaker 2: No, And then your dad shows up in training camp and you know, ESPN just spends hours and hours on Shoodoor Sanders and I understand the name, I understand the clicks, but if you look at production versus clicks, he would be a Tier one quarterback totally.
Speaker 9: He's a Tier one clicker, you know, so I think he has some value that way, but people didn't see a whole lot to build on last year.
Speaker 2: Every year from a quarterback after they've dropped on your.
Speaker 9: List, that's interesting. I say. The highlight was this a number of years ago, when Philip Rivers was giving a one of those off the field pressers. You know, all the media is standing around him and I wasn't there, and yeah, I knew him a little bit, but he said, yee, I gotta watch out. I'll be following you know, watch out, I'll be following in Sando's tears or something. And I thought, hey, that kind of made my day. You know, my kids were impressionable at age at that time, and so that was probably the best, the best reference that I got that I found out about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what Aaron Rodgers is going to think about being there in Tier three, Mike.
Speaker 9: I would love to I'd love to hear it from and I kind of agree. I mean, one of the quotes I used in there from someone in the league was like, you're not taking him over some of these other guys. I mean, just for his ability to throw and run the offense that said doesn't look the way that it used to look like. Here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for providing programming for a lot of shows across America this week. Mike, we appreciate that.
Speaker 9: I appreciate you having me on. And congrats too. I know you're you're in the victory lap here. Congrats on everything. It's it's an honor to be here.
Speaker 2: And don't you're going to try to embarrass me and maybe nominate me, you know, for somebody contributor to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I mean, if you want to, you can. But if it makes you happy, Yeah, if it makes you happy, then fine.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, the Belichick omission went over so well. I think, you know, I think probably putting you in over him would be a good first start, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, how did that happen?
Speaker 9: So that story. I've been on the committee for fifteen years and there's been a number of times where I like, I get frustrated because you can't make people think the way you think, right, And I'm like, oh, what we found out on this is they changed the voting so that you had three senior candidates, guys are retired twenty five years from playing, You had a coach, and you had a contributor. Contributors like an owner. There's people on that committee that it's like they're religious. And to get the seniors in okay, and so these people, you had to pick three of those five on the final ballot, they picked they just spanned the seniors, picked all seniors, leaving off Belichick because they feel like if these seniors don't make it, they'll never make it. And I just that just really irritated me. That's like taking the process into your own hands, making it about yourself. You have to step back and evaluate these five. We can worry about the process later. You don't like it, then work to change it. But you have to put the best people in, and Belichick is So I was very embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Belichick stinted North Carolina, hurt his chances at all first ballot or.
Speaker 9: Pro Football Hall of Fame, pro you know. I mean, look, it doesn't help anybody when they go somewhere else and fail. But come on, I mean the body of work as a head coach and before that as an assistant coach. I mean, he's the standard in a lot of ways. And so I don't know when you look at some of the coaches they've put in. I wasn't always on the coach committee in these years. I'm gonna, But I was like, how can you put some of those guys in and not have Belichick skate in.
Speaker 2: I have no idea Mike Tomlin did enough to be a Hall of Fame coach.
Speaker 9: That'll be interesting. Yeah, I think he'll. I think he'll be in the room and he'll be the coaching finalist at some point, and then it depends really what the format is, who he has to compete against on the final ballot. Will he be over able to overcome players? I don't think so, and we've seen that. That's one of the reasons they created a lane, a coach's lane. But it feels to me like some of this structure and processes in flux. Maybe they're waiting till after the ceremony to not distract from it, you know, with Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees and those guys going in Luke Keigley. But I feel like there's they're going to evolve, maybe the committee or the panels, some different people something after what happened last year, and then that'll determine whether a Tomlin, you know, has a chance. I would say right now it would be very difficult for him.
Speaker 2: Very different great stuff as always, Mike, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Mike Sando, senior NFL writer for The Athletic and his quarterback tears his thirteenth annual survey ranking all the quarterbacks there. How about we take a break, last call for phone calls? Well, we learn what's in store tomorrow right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Last call for phone calls? What we learn, what's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history, all of that coming up. Eric and Virginia. Hi, Eric, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, I'm just wondering who's gonna have to go to HR tomorrow for the little nassoo this morning with your live feed from Maine.
Speaker 2: I'm going to blame the Internet. I'll blame Elon Musk. I'll just blame him. You know, can't go wrong there. But thank you Eric. Now, just a technical difficulty and the big German ended up fixing it. Took a little time. Paulie took over hosting the show. I'm gonna have to give him his own show here one of these duds.
Speaker 3: Based on that alone.
Speaker 2: Yes, everyone jumped in. We had fun Asa in Texas. Hi Asa, Hey Dan.
Speaker 6: If if you have the technical difficulties you had today on your last show, are you postponing retirement? Are you what's going on?
Speaker 2: Well maybe you got me with a no pun intended to technicality there, but no. I one way or another. We'll do the show even if nobody's able to hear us if there's technical difficulties, but we'll be at the super Bowl in Atlanta. What could go wrong? Chris and Pittsburgh. Hi Chris, what do you have?
Speaker 13: Hey DT, Thanks for taking my call. I don't think the big german gets enough credit first and foremost.
Speaker 2: But the reason for.
Speaker 13: My call is I was looking back just talking about the small market teams, tak taking a chance, spending money. Lifelong Indians fan twenty sixteen collictaing attest to this, Andrew Miller. We get from the Yankees virtually unhittable the entire playoffs from so Game seven when he just.
Speaker 2: Ran out of gas.
Speaker 13: They went and spent revenue money from the playoffs the next offseason for Edwin incarnosion a big bat. Somebody to Cleveland never never gets unless they draft him and bring him up. I just think the Guardians are a They are a poster child for how to run an organization in a small to mid market. I think going back to John Hart's days back in the you know one cake of Sfield open in the mid nineties, all the way through today and even making a splash yesterday going into this postseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're always there and there's something to be said for that. And that starts to me with up top well run organization. Mark and Richmond. Hi, Mark, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 9: Who are you at?
Speaker 1: Five?
Speaker 14: Good dad bought?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 14: Just a quick question.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's ever been asked on the air, at least I haven't heard it. Are we the listeners going to be fortunate enough to see your daughter's speech?
Speaker 8: Perhaps posted on the website or something after the web?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It depends on how well I do. Okay, but maybe maybe I have I have veto power and I need to run it by the home office. And uh and my daughter probably not. You know, it's it's it's too special of a moment. See that's where my wife would be going don't you know, make it funny and be giggly and do don't do that. You know this is your daughter. So I'm like, okay, all right, all right, all right, but I gotta have a little levity. I can't. I can't treat it like it's a funeral. I mean, she's still going to be my daughter, but today she's a bride. How about that line? Okay? Are you kidding me? Right at the very end, I told you, I just cried she will always be my daughter, but today she's a bride. That's the kapper mauzle.
Speaker 3: Tom that do you believe in miracles of a wedding?
Speaker 10: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Dylan?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna do the like his family gained a daughter, We gained a son? That that old thing?
Speaker 2: No, okay, no, well no, it's not a wow. It's just people have said that before. I'm trying to make it unique all new. Yeah, I'm not knowing At GPT, you'd say, hey, can you write my speech here?
Speaker 4: Yes, Todd, are you planning anything comedic or you're gonna try to keep it all sensitive?
Speaker 2: And telling you you can't keep a secret.
Speaker 9: Not go, I gotta keep a secret.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't able to give you any information that could help you with any of those jokes.
Speaker 2: How about you open up for me.
Speaker 4: Like do a Limerick. Guys, I can bomb with a couple of jokes. Anything you say, it's gonna be hilarious.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, you could be the warm up. You can be the warm up. You could do rhyme time. You could do like five rhyme times and then now I go, how about a round of applause for Fritzy and it will sound just like that by the.
Speaker 9: Time I get to the third rhyme time.
Speaker 2: We walk in weal, Yes.
Speaker 4: Are you going to shout out your new son in law like you know when we first met Parker he was great off of the bat in blank blank blank.
Speaker 2: Any good words about him? Yes, okay, yes, yes, his name's Josh.
Speaker 9: Oh that's what I say, Yeah, Parker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna say. See now I'm going to say, hey, I want to give a shout out to Parker. You know you're I mean, Josh. People are gonna go, wait a minute, who's your daughter Mary? I'm sorry, Josh. Yes, Dyling is Parker's middle name?
Speaker 5: Binding Chance No, excellent, Yeah, so you're not you're not giving any consideration to having Todd punch up your speech with jokes a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I would That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Yeah, Todd, Todd can punch up my script here. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Why would you reach out to standloa Bargatzio?
Speaker 4: Will Ferrell when you got meet it?
Speaker 2: H Ryan in Arizona? Hi Ryan, what do you have for me?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 14: Anne full discloser. I am in Arizona, So I hate the Doughters, but I listen to all these daughter fans tell you that the Dodters are smarter than everybody else in any break, ask goople. That's simply not true. It's such a huge risk for the brewers of the race to get away their firm system for a guy that's going to sign with the Dodgers into month anyway, the Dodgers don't care about prospects because they they're just going to buy a new outfield in a few years. And I mean that money doesn't buy wins because if you look at eight rows and standings, nine of the top twelve teams is spending over five hundred. If youok at the bottom eighteen, pay roll is only for them over five hundred. So you can definitely buy wins.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's a regular season team. Ryan, I'm talking about, do you have a chance to win the World Series? And can I keep scoobl away from the Dodgers? At what point do you say we're going for it? And that's the only thing that I'm bringing up. Look, I get it, I understand the smaller market, but do you when do you get to the point where you go, let's go all in, let's go try to win this. If I'm Tampa, definitely, the Yankees definitely, because the American League is not good and now you have a chance. Though to me it could be a missed opportunity. Paulie, this day in sports, this.
Speaker 3: Is a great one. August not for the bird. August fourth, nineteen eighty three, Dave Winfield of the Yankees accidentally kills a seagull on the field in Toronto. It was between innings as they're warming up after the game. They were kind of joking around about it, and all of a sudden, the local policeman that was at the game walked in and arrested Dave Winfield. They brought him to the Toronto Police fourteen Division and he was charged with unnecessary suffering of an animal a five hund dollars fine. The next day it was dropped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they thought that he tried to kill the bird. They think Coplin. On this date in nineteen eighty two, Joel young Blood had a base hit pulled from the game. The Mets were trading him to the Expos, who were playing a night game in Philadelphia. So he went from a RBI single in one game with one team to a pinch hit hit in a single off Steve Carlton in the nightcap two different teams. Todd, what did you learn? On the program?
Speaker 9: Albert Bria thinks the Saints, especially after finishing strong last year, could be a surprise team this season.
Speaker 2: What did I learn? We're excited that the Notre Dame UC rivalry was back, but not until twenty thirty. Have a great day, everybody, look forward to chatting with you tomorrow.