Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is trump Anomics, the podcast that looks at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's already shaking up the global economy and modern earth is going to happen next this week, we have something a little different, a conversation with arguably the world's most famous business journalist about something big that happened nearly one hundred years ago but could very well be happening again. Thank you very much, Andrew Ross Sulkin for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: It's quite unusual to have you, not least because you're a full time journalist for not just one, but two of our leading competitors, The Times and CNBC. But we're big enough to take it. But it's also quite rare to have someone who's primarily a business journalist. We most often have economic policy makers or economists, or political reporters for that matter, but you do, in your position, sit at the intersection of Wall Street and Washington and media, and that is where we're very interested in. We're there a lot and I guess most important for this conversation. You have written two cracking books about two moments in economic history that I'm really interested in, and I think many of our listeners are interested in the global financial crisis, Too Big to Fail and now most recently nineteen twenty nine. You know, obviously nineteen twenty nine and what came after. People are drawing more and more parallels with now. And we're recording this on Monday, the eighth of June. After what is I think now being referred to a healthy pullback in stocks, but obviously lots of discussion around how vulnerable this stock market might be. But I wanted to talk about the book in nineteen twenty nine first, because I have to admit, when I heard you were writing this book, I did wonder am I going to want to read another book on that topic. It's a fantastic moment in history if you're interested in economic history. But there have been a lot of books I think that I love the JK. Galbraith, The Great Crash. I think that's just like I've read that fabulous. I can't remember how many times. So why did you think there was a room for another book? If I can ask you the obvious question.
Speaker 1: Now, I, like you, had read a lot of the other books as well, and for whatever reason, most of the books that have been written about this period, to me were written by economists. They were written in a particular kind of style. And the kind of book that I always love to read more than any is the book that takes you inside the room with the characters, that doesn't treat things as economic systems or economic cycles so much as really examines the people who make decisions that I would argue drive the economic systems and economic cycles, and put you in a place where you can understand their motivations, their incentives, you can understand their morality, whether they were aligned or unaligned with reality. And so to me, I thought that was the opening. Could you write a character driven story that really puts you there in so that the reader, the public can really understand what was going on, not just in this sort of economic story, but in the personal story of these people. And the truth is that the challenge was trying to figure out could I find enough granular detail from diaries, from memos, from notes, from transcripts so that you really could feel like you were inside of their head.
Speaker 2: In famously, that is what you did. You were kind of the first draft of that bit of history for the global financial crisis, or that particular period where the bailout tart was being pulled together in two thousand and eight. You sort of think of the comparisons between those two books. I was talking to someone actually this weekend who happened to be quite a senior policy maker during the global financial crisis, and he had read nineteen twenty nine, and I said, what do you think of it? He was really impressed by the degree of detail, as you say, and the description of the characters. But he said, the real lesson was that it was no one's fault. And he didn't think that was true of the global financial crisis. But what was the big thing that you took away from it once you got to know all these characters?
Speaker 1: Oh goodness. Look, I'm a believer typically, and I probably believe this about two thousand and eight as well, not that it's nobody's fault, but in fact that when you have a crisis of this kind of magnitude, it's everybody's fault. What is interesting, by the way, to me about nineteen twenty nine, Oddly enough, when you get to this issue of fault or blame. If you read the diaries of people who lost a fortune in nineteen twenty nine, lost their home, had the margin call most of the diaries suggest that they blame themselves. They actually were not pointing fingers, They were not blaming others. They were saying, I shouldn't have done this. I had The phrase fomo didn't exist back then, but they all had fomo. They all this fear of missing out. And that was a real poll for so many people who got into the market for the very first time, and some of them felt that they got suckered a little bit by a broker or two who had peddled them something, but they really thought it was their own doing, which is so very different than the feelings in two thousand and eight, which was to finger point at everybody but yourself, I should say, just caveat in fairness. By the time we got in nineteen thirty two in the United States, if you read a lot of the same diaries, the finger pornting has now begun because we've now moved to a whole new level of unemployment twenty five percent unemployment in the United States, and the economy had faltered to such a point where I think everybody was just grasping it straw us. But in the immediate aftermath, in terms of faults, when you say who is to blame, people blame themselves.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people mean, I think when they say it wasn't their fault was that the system, you know, the Federal Reserve had barely just begun to exist. The infrastructure that is that was there to some extend in two thousand and eight, and then they had to kind of build some of their own things. All of that had yet to be built again. To me, in the mind of an economist or regulator.
Speaker 1: Literally no rules. Insider trading was legal, There was no sec the investment banks and commercial banks were attached at the hip. This was before Glass Steegel. There were no capital requirement rules from the Bank Act, which came in nineteen forty. None of it existed. And in fact, one of the things that fascinated me and I went searching for it. You know, today we look at a lot of the things that happened in the twenties and you say, this is clearly wrong. This is should be legal, if not immoral, And I was searching for somebody just one person who decided contemporaneously in the moment not to participate in some of the manipulation that was happening, and I couldn't find it. I thought there would be somebody who would be raising their hands saying, oh, I cannot be part of this wildness, is immoral behavior. But it wasn't the case. You know, the markets are a funny thing. It's always been this battle of wits, and when you have no rules. To the extent that there was manipulation, it was really people who thought that they were just outwitting the other side.
Speaker 2: If it's not against the law, then people do feel even if there's just something iffy about it, they will often feel completely justified.
Speaker 1: I think the truth is they don't question what they're doing because it gets back to this idea of wits or trying to outsmart the other person. If you think about it long enough, whoever is buying a stock in that moment has to think that they're smarter than the person selling them the stock, and whoever selling them the stock has to think that they are smarter in that moment than the person that happens to be buying the stock. And I think that's pretty much what the stock market is. And so when you think about how philosophically people think, they think they are in the business of outsmarting somebody else.
Speaker 2: And you write about in the book, there was quite a lot of discussion about should we clamp down on speculation everything else. All the discussion now is about removing guardrails and reducing regulation, freeing up banks, well, particularly from the ministration, but freeing up banks, not having crypto be subject to these regulations.
Speaker 1: Oh, we are dismantling the guardrails. I mean, it is happening right in front of us. You know, in the past week, I don't know if you saw Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, which are underwriting the SpaceX IPO. Their analysts are now putting out research internally that's been used to sell to sell the IPO, that is bullish to the point that they're putting out projections about where this company could be in twenty thirty and twenty forty. But after the dot com bust, we actually changed the law so that bank analysts, who arguably were conflicted because of their relationship to the underwriter of a stock, we're limited in terms of what they could do. What they could say how the bank could use their research and things like that, and yet we've now changed the rules again all over. I think when you think about crypto whether or when you think about the idea that people are trying to tokenize different private investments or take private credit or private equity or venture capital and wrap it in a public wrapper that looks like a stock. I mean, all of these things are new innovations, and by the way, they may be good innovations to some degree, but they don't come with what I would imagine to be the requisite guard rails to prevent things from going over the cliff and the other pieces. You're bringing new investors in, and anytime you bring new investors into the market, there should be a little bit of handholding. Maybe that sounds paternalistic, but I think that's the lesson of the last hundred years.
Speaker 2: That's such a parallel with the democratization of finance that you saw in The Leader and the sort of late twenties.
Speaker 1: Late twenties. That phrase, by the way, democratization of finance was used repeatedly in the late twenties. By the way, it was just used last week by Jamie Diamond when he was talking about the SpaceX IPO and the idea that that particular IPO is now going to a lot, a lot more shares for retail investors than just about any IPO in history.
Speaker 2: And when you look at that history, it does seem to be just when you open up everything. We saw that four to one k's last year opened up to crypto and private equity is now more accessible, as you said, in various ways, and all of these IPO is coming down the track, and the big debate about when they can get into the indusicy. You must have been found it more and more uncanny looking at some of the dvs.
Speaker 1: But component parts. I mean, the last year, I even said the last five years. I remember when the game stop scenario was happening twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, I was thinking, oh my goodness, we are living in nineteen twenty nine, and there are so many elements to our market today that have these sort of eerie parallels. That's not to say that we're going to crash tomorrow, but it does suggest that memories are short, and if anything, the goal of this book I always think to myself was I never wanted to write a sequel too big to fail. I was considered this the prequel. So if you can remind people of what actually happened in the past, maybe it will prevent people from tipping over in the future.
Speaker 2: The other big parallel, obviously, is the role of technology. We talk about speculative fever, but it was around as now. A lot of it was around a real technological innovation, many technological innovations that were going to be pretty transformative for the economy. I mean, you had automobiles, you had radio electrification, all of it, people the Limberg boom, you know, people getting on planes. And yet even with a transformative technology, you still had, as you described, the RCA stock which rose enormously ended up at ninety seven percent.
Speaker 1: It was of its time.
Speaker 2: So how did you see that sort of parallel, because it seemed to me. I mean, one of the things I thought was very striking is that was a technology. We can talk about the now, the concentration of you know, how much of the returns in the stock market this year, and how much of the economy has been driven by the AI boom, but electrification, with probably some exceptions people, I assume we're pretty positive about this stuff. It was in liberating them, whereas this technology people are getting more and more frightened of maybe even angry about.
Speaker 1: Oh look, there's all sorts of questions about AI. But I do think that every time we've gone through a technological revolution, there has been a shocking amount of speculation. The question is not whether you can prevent speculation. I would argue to you, by the way, that you need speculation in the system. That speculation, to some degree built America. I mean, it really did. I was just talking to Jeff Bezos about two weeks ago. We were talking about whether we were in a bubble, and he was making the argument that when you think about sort of the progress technological progress of humanity, it has almost invariably come with a bubble, even if you go back and look at the biotech bubble, the most recent one. And anytime there's a bubble, there's lots of good investment and lots of bad investment. Questions, can you avoid it from becoming too much? But I think you almost have to embrace some semblance of it, as sort of backwards sounding as that may very well be.
Speaker 2: As an economist, you know, that was one of the big lessons. You know, this thing that still debated about whether Alan Greenspan was right to say easier to clean up after a bubble is burst than to try and stop it going up. You basically still believe that, even though we went through.
Speaker 1: I believe it. I I just think that the question is can you prevent the bubble from getting too big? And can you actually prevent a bubble on the front end. So there's always two sort of big policy choices when a crisis comes. One is can you prevent it from happening at all? And if you can't prevent it from happening at all and it does pop, then what you do about it. I think that we could do a better job on the front end, and I know we could do a better job on the back end. But the idea of eliminating these bubbles entirely, I think is a misguided effort.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I think that's probably right, but I think that is.
Speaker 1: Not politically popular thing to say no.
Speaker 2: But I think it's more again with the sort of economics hat on, what you care about is not the speculation or even the bubble, but whether it infects the broader economy. And that's obviously what you saw in the thirties and that was because of the failure of credit and all of these things. You know, if you look nineteen eighty seven, which was the kind of famously the first time sort of in modern times where you'd have that sort of spiral of selling that people experienced, by the end of there was no impact on the economy. The market was barely affected by the end of the year. Even the bursting of the tech bubble in lots of countries, there was no recession. There was a very mild recession in the US. So a lot of it is about leverage, and you can reduce the amount of leverage that is built into a bubble or that speculator way.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to argue against my own book for a moment, you could make the same nineteen eighty seven argument to some degree about nineteen twenty nine. By the end of the year, if you had closed your eyes and didn't know what happened during the year, the stock market looked like it had only fallen seventeen percent, And if you just looked at it that way, you'd say, oh, not a big deal, what a blip. The problem was that ordinary Americans had gone to their brokerage house and we're giving. They were getting ten to one leverage, and so when the fifty percent decline happened between October and November, it wasn't that they could ride it out. It was that the banks were calling and taking their homes. So it is interesting sort of how you can ride out or not a crisis, and then that crisis what it does to confidence, which to me is ultimately the first domino and a sequence of dominoes that leads to the Great Depression. It was not preordained in nineteen twenty nine that you ultimately had to get to a nineteen thirty two style twenty five percent unemployment Great Depression.
Speaker 2: Because everybody's talking about how dependent the economy is on the AI boom and or expectations around AI and the productivity associated with that. And I think we just model to your point as a twenty percent fall in the SMP, which is kind of similar to the tech bubble. But then that also affecting investment in the US, physical investment, which is obviously so much in AI now, and general confidence and credit. If you source that I kind of declined. Do you worry about it infecting me?
Speaker 1: I worry, but I worry about two things. In the context of AI, I worry about are we in an AI bubble, and that everybody can't afford effectively all the infrastructure investment and everything else that comes along with that, and it somehow pops along the way people don't find the productivity that they were hoping for. Whether it's some kind of technological shift that allows all these models to work without all of the chips and data centers on one end. But I also worry about what happens in success, and I don't know if you've modeled that out, because in success it probably means that we have to have a shocking amount of unemployment. I would think to make up to make those productivity means that would be necessary to justify those valuations, a lot of people would have to lose their jobs. Now, if so many people lose their jobs, who is going to pay for all of this stuff? So to me, there's sort of a double edged bubble in the AI world that is different than some of the previous ones we've lived through.
Speaker 2: And that was a little bit while I was trying to get to about the unpopularity, because I do think there's a possibility that you get the backlash before the product of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, one of the ways it's having it right now.
Speaker 2: One of the ways the bubbles might burst. You probably saw there was an NBC poll that's like, now AI is more unpopular than Donald Trump and Ice, but still just slightly. The only things that are more unpopular than AI now is Rahm and the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at look at all of those commencement speeches. Yeah, in the United States in the last couple of weeks, every time the word AI was uttered, you know, the kids were booing, and they were booing because they're demonstrably worried about their own future and you and that is visceral. You can feel it when you talk to these young people.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that what could potentially be the trigger for the bubble bursting. If it actually looks like it's not going to be politically tolerable to have the kind of productivity growth or at least in the on the timeframe that's needed for these valuations, people start to question, you know, if you have regulation coming in, if it's just not going to be possible to realize all of these miracles. Is that the thing that people could say, oh, hang on, this isn't going to happen, not because it couldn't happen, but because politically it's going to be impossible.
Speaker 1: If it's going to be politically impossible, I actually wonder whether technologically it's not going to happen as fast as people think. You know, Bloomberg just did a conference where they spoke with dari Amude's sister and she asked to unemployment and here's anthropic. They're going public very soon. They've they've warned people that you know, there's going to be massive job losses. And she was asked, quite directly, does she think that there's been job losses yet, and effectively said, no, yes, we've seen job lossing nowouncements and things like that, and even companies like Square under Jack Dorsey have said we're laying off people because of AI. But I think most people have yet to find actually the Roi on Ai, the Roi on Ai so much so that they are firing people.
Speaker 2: No. I think that's what we find as well. And we also we do all these things on passing the earning statements and other things, and you know, there does seem to be a lot of kind of AI washing and you don't want to say restructuring you say, you know, we're discovering all these benefits from AI thinking about how that, however it happens if you do have a crash or a financial crisis related to all the things that we've talked about. I was really struck, and this may be partly from my perspective, because I saw a sort of dry run for the global financial crisis sitting in the US Treasury dealing with Asia Financial Crisis and LTCM back in the late nineties. Because I was talking to you, I went back to the Too Big To and reading that description of these policy makers, many of them, like Tim Geitner, had basically been lifelong public service, just grappling with what the facts were and trying to come up with the right plan and then managing just about to get bipartisan support to do things. And that seemed almost as far away in history as the nineteen twenty nine. It feels like a completely another world, certainly another Washington. So when you are writing your book about the next crash, what's the policy making piece going to look like? Because it doesn't feel like it's going to look like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's to me the scariest part. The scariest part is that Ben Bernank wrote the playbook in two thousand and eight about what to do in a financial crisis. You missed it on the front end, what do you do on the back end? The back end is you write the check. You write lots and lots of big checks. You flood the zone with money. And he had done his dissertation at Princeton on the Great Depression, saw that they did not act at the time, and so he did and we saw that that worked. Now, it was not a politically popular thing to do, but I think from a technocratic standpoint you would argue it was a resounding success. We then did it again, interestingly during the pandemic, and nobody batted an eyelash. In fact, I remember being so surprised we were bailing out airlines, and I thought to myself, I've lived through this before. People we used to protest in the streets about bailing out the banks airlines. Nobody has a problem with the difference between two thousand and eight and twenty twenty. Twenty twenty one was the ballots were for everybody. If you wanted to bail out of some sort, there was a loan for you. And so I think we now have this playbook. We think we know what to do, and the lesson is write the check. Now. The problem is, the next time we have to write a check, I imagine it will have to be for three, four or five trillion dollars with a T. And it may be that there's bipartisan support for check writing at that point, because people will say, it seems to work, let's do it again. What I don't know is whether you believe that there is some invisible line that lives inside the bond market that turned into a red line, and the investor class around the world says, no, mass we're not doing this anymore.
Speaker 2: Which arguably they're already doing a little bit with us.
Speaker 1: Look, I thought that this invisible line would have been a red line twenty years ago. So it's very hard for me to predict what the bond market will do in this regard. But that to me is the biggest word. You know, people talk about corporate debt and leverage, and that's a that's a huge concern always, But I do wonder whether sovereign debt becomes the next big issue. Back in nineteen twenty nine, for what it's worth, we had a budget surplus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also last time I was at US Treasury, but I don't think that wasn't correlated, but it was two thousand, was the last time you had had a US surplus. I guess there's another element of this was relating those two. You might have a crash that no one understands because everything has been so overtaken by black box AI. Banks have adopted all these things, and obviously that was a feature of the global financial crisis, that there were these instruments that even the heads of the banks that had the most exposure to them didn't really understand how they work. But that's true to a much greater extent. Potentially if you start having even more kind of automated AI enabled trading.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, yes, So we might wait.
Speaker 2: Long enough, the next crisis might be one that just nobody even understands how to stop.
Speaker 1: That might be. That's a book, that's a horror story.
Speaker 2: We were talking about this at the start, because you do feature the journalists in your book, and I had a sort of personal interest because my grandfather, Clauk Coben, who was Times correspondent in the late twenties and thirties in Washington and New York. You feature a great story.
Speaker 1: And he wrote a tremendous memoir.
Speaker 2: Several memoirs are there. They feature a lot of the same stories.
Speaker 1: One of those stories I had to include in the book because it was just such an extraordinary moment where he's literally on the street as the crash is taking place, and he ends up at a home down near Washington.
Speaker 2: Square Park of one of the financiers.
Speaker 1: One of the major financiers, the Spires. And you see the sort of upstairs, downstairs element of all this because in the kitchen, literally the staff has their own ticker tape and they're literally trading in the kitchen. I mean, just to me, said spoke so much about sort of what had happened to the culture in New York City at that moment.
Speaker 2: They're sort of braving going out upstairs to ask him what's going to happen. But when you're really you use quite a lot of the sort of journalists of the time, and you've paint some of the sort of portraits. Obviously, what striking about business journalism then versus now, we like to think was that that was also deeply corrupt. I think they're codily correct. The equivalent of the deal book. They were taking payments for pushing stocks in their goodness.
Speaker 1: There were journalists who were clearly on the payroll, I mean literally taking money. Throughout there would be these manipulative efforts called pool operations, where a couple of wealthy investors would get together and say we're going to run up the price of a stock over the next two weeks, and one of the things they would do in the process is payoff some journalists to tell them that the stock was going to be on the move for this reason. For that reason, what was interesting is some of these manipulative efforts were done almost in public, meaning people knew that there was an operation. I put air quotes around the word operation in a stock. They knew that there was going there's this effort to push up and people wanted to play in that, meaning they weren't.
Speaker 2: They just thought they would get out.
Speaker 1: They thought if they could get in and off the train before the train went over the cliff, that they would make a small fortune. And so there was this sort of bizarre speculatve everything. By the way, it feels very similar to what's going on with meme coins and crypto in certain ways, and things like that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, like people at Bloomberg, you consider that you're playing it straight. I think probably as very much parallel to Bloomberg and maybe not some other parts of media at the moment. Just you know, the Trump administration, no matter what it is, you're playing it straight. And I think trying to do part of your thing is the capacity to be in the room to be trusted by these major business players. But we are in quite extreme times and the the line between public and private and the things that business leaders are getting involved in or justifying to themselves is kind of different, maybe from ten or twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Look, I actually think you talked about two thousand and eight. I don't know if you agree with what I'm about to say. I think ever since two thousand and eight, every single business leader has become a politician. They spend more and more of their time either in Washington, d c. Or in Brussels or here in London, or they're going to Beijing. They have become diplomatic. Go look at the trip that President Trump did with President Chijingping and all of the CEOs who were led over there. By the way, very similar to nineteen twenty nine when Thomas Lamont, who was running JP Morgan at the time, and all of these CEOs are sent to Germany. I'm sorry to Paris to deal with the German reparations. I mean, it really just gives you a sense of how business almost has eclipsed the classic politician in every politician now thinks they're a CEO too.
Speaker 2: But in this Trump administration that has become there is a lot more to be gained from just speaking a lot to Donald Trump. Being on the right side of Donald Trump. I mean that line. It's not just that it's quite good to go on a go along with him on the plane in the summit, is you actually kind of have to go, and if you do go, you may get this very direct reward for your company, and if you don't.
Speaker 1: My job is to put a spotlight on the decisions and machinations that are taking place behind the scenes that are politically driven. I mean, how many times have I had to write or talk about Tim Cook's role at Apple and the various things that Apple has done. We've spent the last couple of months talking about tariffs and how every company in America has been silenced. We talk about doing interviews with CEOs asking about tariffs, and they quiet down very quickly.
Speaker 2: We had that with rare Earth. Actually we wanted to have when it was becoming clear that the Chinese, having imposed that restriction on rare earth, was affecting a lot of companies, I was saying, we must be able to find a company that's affected by this, and nobody wanted to say nobody. We finally managed to get.
Speaker 1: Show me. The real proof of the silencing of corporate America from a political standpoint is if you go look right after the Supreme Court struck down the tariff regime that the administration had put in place, very few of the big companies I'm talking about Apple and Amazons even tried to seek refunds at the time, refunds that they were entitled to. Now they ultimately Apple, I believe has and as has so many others. But I remember interviewing the president, President Trump about this, and I said to him, do you realize that there are a number of large American companies that are not seeking refunds because they fear offending you, they fear retaliation. And he said something to the effect of, I'm honored to hear that. And I will remember those companies that don't seek the refunds.
Speaker 2: I listened to your Jeff Bessel's interview and he did that he cited in his optimism about the US, and obviously this is also I mean, we are talking about all these things. This is a moment where there's enormous certainly a lot more wisiting in London now, a lot more optimism about the US economically than there is about the UK or Europe. And he cited that classic fact about sort of in the early nineteen hundreds, Argentina's incompa head and the US income ahead were the same, and then you've seen this massive vergence. And I don't know about you, but when I was listening to it, I was sort of thinking to myself, it's funny that he uses that example, because we have seen this economic divergence. And he said that was to do with the US system and all of these things that were attractive about the US. How damaging is it ultimately for the business environment, for risk taking, for innovation in the US, for US capitalism. If maybe economically it's still diverging from Argentina, but politically we seem to be kind of becoming more and more like that kind of vision of Latin American populism.
Speaker 1: Oh look, I think the political polarization is so extreme and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I can't even I hate to say it. I want to be an optimist. I can't fathom what it is that brings both sides to a different place. And I think so much of it is emanating from a sense of economic inequality and really the difference between labor and capital and how that at the import of capital is now taking far priority over labor, and what that does to the polarization long term. I think that underneath even the conversation I was having with Jeff Besis.
Speaker 2: That's symbolized by these kind of I mean, we are becoming more oligarchic in our economy. And then there also there's a sort of a sense of that's spilling over into the nature of our politics and the.
Speaker 1: Way Washington's spilled over, because what you now have is that money has completely infected the politics. I don't think there's a question that money is now influencing politics in a way that we've never seen before, and so that's part of the doom loop or the spiral. How do you get out of that spiral. I do not know the answer to that, because I can't imagine that the oligarchs, the folks with the money, are ever going to be advocating to undo that influence.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a terrible note on which to end, so I'm trying to think of a better way. We sort of talked semi jokingly about you not wanting to write another book about about this period or about about another c But what does that look like? I mean, politics was not as polarized going into nineteen twenty nine, certainly not going into the global financial crisis. How does that play into those.
Speaker 1: I think you go back in nineteen twenty nine, and the politics were shockingly polarized. One of the reasons that the government didn't take the steps it probably should have was because of the transfer of power between Hoover and Roosevelt and how much they disliked each other on a personal level, and the politics of that moment as well. So I think we've seen this movie before, and the question is can we take lessons from nineteen twenty nine and try to apply them to today? Because I think if we actually did, if we actually sat back and thought about it long enough we could avoid the next nineteen twenty.
Speaker 2: Nine Okay, slightly more hopeful. Note, well, I guess even if we are going heading for another crisis and we're not sure how we're got to get out talk, we know that you will write an excellent book about it. So, Andrew Ross Sorkin, thank you very much. That was fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Trumpnomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me Stephanie Flanders, and I was joined by The New York Times columnist and CNBC anchor journalist Andrew Ross Sorkin. Trumponomics was produced by Samasadi and Moses And with help from Amy Keen, and sound design was by Blake Maples and Kelly Garry. Please to help others find us, rate and review Trumpnomics highly wherever you listen