Speaker 1: How is Tyler playing against him? He's physical? Huh, he was physical, but I was a physical receiver. Yeah, you're big. New England fans hated me because I didn't do not but talking, and I used to murder New England. I used to murder them. That was the worst thing they could ever seen coming through the building. No real talk, google it. I called Teddy Bruski one time. Oh, right at the goal line, down the ground, slam down, he shot pop out touchdown freebing against the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh we went up to Fox Borll beat the Peak here on Yeah, we beat them bad. Welcome to Games with Namies. I'm Julian Edelman.
Speaker 3: They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on the mission to finding the greatest game of all time. On today's episode, we are covering the nineteen ninety eight AFC Divisional round game between the Jaguarars and the Jets with former number one overall pick, longtime broadcaster and one of the few New York Jets to join this show, Keishawn Johnson. And we get into talking being a pro athlete in New York.
Speaker 1: After the games, all Gluen clubs and party and it was just a crazy thing Man, what it's like to work with Paul Pierce. I'm going all in. I'm going Celtic Pride. I'm going all in and his best Bill Parcell and Bill Belichick stories played with both. I don't know if you're two thirty five, look like I got walnuts in your cheeks. That's my guy, you know.
Speaker 3: And then we do some NFL contract talk, contract talk, Rock Party, contract talk in this week's Chill Zone, presented by CORSL like you Gotta stick around till the very end.
Speaker 1: Games with Names and production of iHeartRadio. January ten, nineteen ninety nine, Giants Stadium, the Meadowlands, New Jersey. With twenty seconds left, the Jags trail the Jets thirty four twenty four. They need a miracle. Purnell lets it fly, but the ball is intercepted by Keishawn Johnson. This is the mann is at the Medallands. I'm like, huh, Welcome to Games with Names. We have a special guest today to go over the nineteen ninety eight AFC Divisional round game between the Jacksonville Jaguars and those New York Jets with legendary number one pick usc alum Keishawn Johnson Keishawn in one sentence, why this game? First of all, what's up? Thanks for having me? Yet, let's start there. Why pick this game as the game first playoff game boy?
Speaker 2: Did he leave an impact big time?
Speaker 1: What were the stats?
Speaker 2: Do it all right?
Speaker 1: And touchdown to touch the interception, fumble recovery, bumble recovery.
Speaker 4: Let me let me make sure we get it right so we can put some shine on this nine catches, one hundred and twenty one yards, ten rush yards, two touchdowns should have been three. Called him down the one on one that was bs an interception in a fumble recovery.
Speaker 2: I got called down on the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was one that top Chris Martin punches like it was like a it was like a seam throw of some sort in the red area fell down.
Speaker 3: Now you got tackled on the one like it was you went up for the ball and like I don't even remember. See, that's that's when you know.
Speaker 1: Now Now, now you now that you told me that. Next time I talk about this game, So mumble letting us say, I should have had three touchdown right, three? Damn? I should have had three, should have had three? I didn't even Yeah, So yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't remember because I really literally have never watched the game. Yeah, I mean, I don't even remember watching it back to get ready for the AFC Championship game. I don't remember watching the game. I mean, I see the highlights of the game, but not the full game. You didn't see them very much. I'm just kind of trying to correlate. Probably divisional round. You take all the bad from it and you move on, and you're already thinking about, yeah, the next game. You know, that was my This was my first playoff game, but you know, I knew I could play. I'm not even worried about it. I don't know, that's the least of my worry. But when you don't have a quarterback, sometimes things don't go the way you need to. But I had the hot, hottest quarterback in the National Football League that year was Vinnie testa Verdi, who came in I think it was four games into the season. After we binge Glenn Foley, we brought in Vinnie. Vinnie didn't even play the entire season, And yeah, I just I don't know. I just treated like a normal game. But that's you know that was just the way I always was, and it just happened to be my first playoff game. He showed up big. Is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 1: Or for in general?
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Is? Ah? Are you talking about the game? It's this game? Is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 2: Football?
Speaker 1: Game? Yeah? But what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Though? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: We give me some context. We ask every everyone, Yeah, but are your greatest game game of football? Or the game we play? We are on a mission definding the greatest game in history. This is it football. This is it right here? That's right, baby, let's get into it. So it's only a few people, though Jews, that could do this, not many. I don't think anyone has done that. Play the game I'm gonna play in the game of football. It's only a few people that want to do it. Because it's not easy. It's not it's not easy at all. People don't understand now they thinking, they think, they think it is like they don't understand it. It's like, now, you don't get it. They don't get the funnest part is playing the game. They don't understand the preparation, the practice, how hard that is yeah, yeah, yeah, the practice practice was hard. Preparation wasn't as hard as the practice. For me, preparation was easy. But because I took all the scout team reps and my first team reps, it was you know, I was playing maybe three games in a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and that's why you were prepared for your first playoff game, I'm sure. And he balled out right, and he bawled out. What's life looking like these days? Kishan? Just working man working at Fox after eighteen years at ESPN, I'm over at FS one, Fox family and enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Been there now.
Speaker 1: This is going to be going on my third year in September. So yeah, you know, I'm just ready to go, fired up, ready to just do my damn thing. Take Central, Just take Central by Kishan?
Speaker 2: Ruh, why not? Why not?
Speaker 1: So what's the difference between Fox and ESPN? Give me some loadown. You know I was at CBS, now I'm at The difference is one you had a little mom and pop operation. At Fox. I see everybody. It's the big big boys upstairs people. I see them every day where at ESPN a lot of suits, but at ESPN such a massive deal. You might see the suits once every blue moon.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 1: The reality of it. And I may run into certain talent once every blue moon. Where Fox, I'm seeing people saying people all the time, all the time. At the time, it's just a different operation, really corporate.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: You get to be yourself, you get to do your thing, you get to just it's just they let you do you. Where ESPN is Disney, so everything is safe, super safe. It's just an overall just a better better suit for me right now in my career where I'm at at Fox. Then let's say at ESPN, A traveling back and forward. You know, I was there eighteen years, and so my first ten years I did NFL Sunday and Monday and I Countdown was the number one show in all the pregame shows. Did it for ten years with Boomer and TJ and Chris Carter and Mike Dicker, and then I left it, and then I started doing the radio here locally. Then at the same time simultanely said I was doing NFL Live and Sports Center and all that, and then I switched during the height of the pandemic to going and doing the national radio and First Take and NFL Live. But I had to move to the East Coast in New York for like a year and a half because they wanted me to do it, and I'm like, nah, I don't do it. No, I don't want to do it. No, No, I don't want to do it. Now, yeah, I think we might want to do that, because then we decided to do it. Then my kids get back there and within a year they're like, we're going to go home, so then I can move them back. And then I just two weeks there, two weeks here, two weeks their, two weeks here, and then eventually but they decided, hey, man, we're giving you all this money we want we need some of that back for tax purposes. So they at the time that they let me go in twenty twenty three, they cleaned about I think it was like five billion dollars on their books. They wiped out Disney, so anybody had contracts, they just ate the contracts and wrote them off.
Speaker 2: That year fiscal year.
Speaker 1: But they had to pay, so they wind up cashing you out. And you know, go ahead, if you want to work, you can work, if you don't sit on your buns, whatever you want to do. And Fox came a calling and then I've been here ever since. Heck, yeah, they didn't make room for all that money to give the McAfee. That's what it sound like. It sound that way, but I don't necessarily not. I think they could have still did the McAfee thing. But it's more about, as you know, in the in the world of Wall Street, diluting something to make it go back up. And that was a stock play. It was a Wall Street play, which is fine. I'm happy with it, right if I'm good, not a stock guy. But I will take some advice from you any day, small mom and pop spot hawks right, running into everyone, you see talent all the time, you see joy. How many times do you argue with Lashawn McCoy in the in the green room? Because I do it about fourteen to fifteen times a day. If I see him, we have text conversations. Uh yeah, we have more text conversations. But because he's early in the morning, I'm late in the afternoon. By the time i'm there, he's gone. But if I happen to be there anytime he's there, same deal. I can't get up the stairwell without arguing about trying. He tried to uh at the Super Bowl. He came on my podcast and uh, he was trying to tell me, you know, oh, receivers don't block, they don't do this, they don't do that. Said mean you, I don't know who you played with. I said, I don't. I can cuss, right, yeah all day, say I don't know who the fuck you played with. Okay, you got me fucked up up. So the internet, you know, the internet was crazy. He checked McCoy whatever, and I was like, you know, you don't get it. Yeah, I know, you don't get it. I wasn't blocking DB's and I wasn't just cracking ends. Not only was I blocking DB's and cracking ends, I was taking linebackers to the trash cans. You don't get Oh, you ain't doing it. So then we had to go get the clips and put them in and blasting and there. You know, but that's a sign.
Speaker 2: Hey JD, we love you.
Speaker 1: And I tell him. I tell him all the time. You know, I'll see the show. I was like, man, that's a bad uniform you got on. You look about one hundred and fifty pounds overweight. But you might want to you know, you might want to hear he Man, I'm going to I'm going to the trailmill right now. I'm good because you got me going. And he goes and goes to the gym, gets on the trail mill, no wherever he's out, I don't know where he goes to the gym when he gets on there, and he'll send me the clip letting me know that he's working out. I'm like, you still look pudgy. I don't understand how you can look slim one day and then you look like you gained one hundred pounds the next day. You know, it's it's running backs, always game, lineman always lose. It's just that's how it goes. And then I told him, I said, I told you, I said, man, that hairline, you're just gonna take that all. You're gonna take it off. You can't get at a man's hairline getting because he got the he got the half moon going got he got the Jerry race on the Raiders. Remember the Dreads started back here. We just had that conversation about Jerry today. Matter of fact, Jared, No, we had the guy I told Jerry the year we beat them in the Super Bowl and we hung out like on a Monday or whatever day we got there and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, Jerry, what you're doing?
Speaker 1: Man, Like, come on, man, hey, man, come on key. I'm like, Jerry, you have fifty you know, you just let it go. Just stop because it was extensions. It wasn't just his hair, it was extensions to it. Yeah, it just come on, Jerry. Oh, Jerry looked like a lion.
Speaker 2: Man. I love it.
Speaker 3: I was big Jerry fan, dude. But I mean, you got a hairline like you you could say anything.
Speaker 2: No, I mean he's pretty good. Yeah, I'm good. I'm straight.
Speaker 1: Now. Did Paul make it? Yeah, Paul, Paul made it. He made it.
Speaker 2: He made it. No, he wore shoes. So what happened?
Speaker 1: So what happened? This is how it all happened. Right in January, at the end of the NFL season, the Jets was looking for a quarterback, I mean looking for head coach, my bat they looking for a head coach. And so I was on the air, and because I have a I think like the people that I've been around, right, It's just it's a natural thing. I think like Champagne, I think like Bill Parcells, I think like Belichick. Because I've been around them, I get them. I understand how they going to operate?
Speaker 2: Move right.
Speaker 1: So I go on the show and they like, who's gonna be the new head coach of the Jets at the I said, I don't know, but I kind of figured ag name was coming up, this, that and the other. So I said, I can promise you off Aaron glenk at the job. Brett Farve ain't gonna be on it. At the quarterback. If Brett fav is the quarterback, Aaron Rodgerson, I mean, I'm sorry, Brett Farbard Arronds, same shit, same shit, Aaron Rodgers, I said, If Aaron Rodgers the quarterback, Jules, I say, opening day of twenty twenty five, I will walk from my home in Calabasas to the studio. But I'm smart enough to know my guy. And Aaron Glen gets a job. Now I people think I got something from he hadn't gotten a job at this, you know, And I said it. You know, I know him, and I know what I would have done as the head coach, and I know what parcels and I know Sean Payton, like I know what they would do to that type of personality. Too much distraction, all the all the above, right, So I said, to him, I said I would walk home and they're like, oh, you know, I mean walk to the studio and there you're crazy, know and they all like, watch, watch you be the start. I said, it's not gonna happen. A couple weeks later they cutting, so I didn't have to walk. So now, Paul last night says on the show, I I didn't prompt him to doing it. People are blaming me based on what I didn't tell you.
Speaker 3: Unspeak the night before the second game of the Celtics Knicks series.
Speaker 1: Yes, he says, if we're not gonna lose two in a row, if we lose to around, I'm walking from home. Now Paul lives by me, and I mean walking to the studio. Paul lis me. I'm like, you might not want to do that.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, I'm going all in. I'm going Celtic Pride. I'm going all in.
Speaker 2: I said, Man, he might not gonna take the series, not one game.
Speaker 1: Now I'm taking one. Said okay, cool, the Celtics lose game this hall, I promised you I was walking here tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm walking here fifteen miles.
Speaker 1: So it happened is that we got to that fourth quarter, and at twenty point, Lead started shrinking and shrinking and shrinking and drinking. We texting on the group. I'm like, man, you might want to think about starting lasening the month.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 1: It just kept going, kept going, kept going.
Speaker 2: What's Paul said?
Speaker 1: Is he silent?
Speaker 2: He like, nah, all right? We all right.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden he's like, man, I'm in trouble and he's like, oh ship man, this is bad. It happened and the social media world went on fire. They were crazy, and he had to pay it off. I had to pay it off, and so he started paying off at five. But he made it to the show today and we did a whole The basic show was Boston Celtic's Fall. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Celtic's got me out there like this.
Speaker 1: I tried to tell him not to do it, but he was hard hitted, didn't.
Speaker 2: Want to listen. I'm gonna bounce back. We're gonna bounce back. Oh my god. Him on the wall.
Speaker 1: I saw him on the walk twice. I saw him once closer to the house. Then I went and got a haircut, got my hair cut up. So now I might have been three and a half four hours later, and then I caught him up in bel Air walking down some Povida caught him, gave him some water. But then KG caught him earlier, and I think, uh, who else called him? Matt Barnes called him, and then a bunch of other people called it was it was the funniest thing ever. He's got his robe born shoes, and he came into the He came into the studio drenched. Got hot today today it got hot, especially when you're going over that mountain. Yeah, it was funny that son man. Paul's funny get in trouble with Paul.
Speaker 2: A man of his word. He's a man of his word. Though.
Speaker 1: Are you worried about these Celtics?
Speaker 2: Not yet? Not yet.
Speaker 1: I'm still still You're still.
Speaker 2: More one more? One more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saturday. Then I'll start worrying one more if they lose Saturday. And I'm worried right now, oh too. Twenty point leads in two games, better the road, better on the road, on the record, reckless season on the road. But you know they they squadned are two straight twenty twenty. Yeah, that's hard to do. It's not now though, I feel like nowadays it's not. It's it really isn't. But back to back, it's hard to do back to back. It's hard to do basketball. Man, it's a game of a different now. But I like that they're letting them play. They're letting them play right now because it's the playoff. It's the playoff, the playoff basketball. We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's let's jump into a segment where we go back into time around where the game took place. This game took place January tenth, nineteen ninety nine. This will be fun and go over pop culture number one movie Patch Adams. Which one was that?
Speaker 2: That was Robin Williams. Remember, oh, all.
Speaker 1: Right, have you ever by Brandy? I remember Brandy? She had the braid, she was cutie. I love Brandy. Honestly, you remember Brandy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Brand Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Around this pop culture Sopranos premieres on HBO, Family Guy on Fox, Varsity Blues Tweeter, You Got Mail in a Bugs Life, Shakespeare in Love, all popping off in the one I've seen and never really watched, the sopranossy Na football movie it's football Texas movie too. I'm not Yeah, football text different it's different big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what's it like growing up around here and then going to SC. Well, I didn't grow up around here, but yes, Los Angeles in LA although I did go to Pacific Palisades for one year. It's just you know, you the hometown hero. I guess if what you want to call it, Yeah, I mean you grew I grew up literally across the street from the university. That's fucking awesome. So I originally wasn't going to go to USC. Originally was going to Miami, and then Dennis Erickson left. Then I switched to Washington, and then DJ retired and they went on probation, and then John Robinson came back to USC, and I was like, I'm staying home because Larry Smith was the coach at the time, and he really didn't recruit inner city kids from LA. He was a big suburbian guy. Prior to that, USC was heavy inner city. That's when we was bawling and doing everything. And he came and he wanted to go to Arizona or somewhere in the suburbs, and it just wasn't the same type of athlete and people from here. That's when Washington, Colorado Nebraska, Cal all started Washington State. They all became powerhouses for a couple of years because they were recruiting here in this base. And so when Jr. Got the job, John Robinson got fired from the RAMS and came back to USC. It wasn't nothing else to talk about. But it's just, you know, you just know the neighborhoods, you know everything. I could tell you one thing. I didn't starve to death because family's here. I can go right up the road get something to eat, and I didn't have to worry about those things. It was just you know, childhood dream of always wanting to go to USC. Grew up literally across the street from them. Did you play baseball? I did you know who Mark McGuire is? You know Randy Johnson is? You've never met anybody that has pitch BP to Mark McGuire caught Randy Johnson and warmed up Jack del Rio til you met me as a kid?
Speaker 2: Whoa crazy? Oh yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because as a kid, as a kid, as a as a teenage kid, and not even yeah, I was an early teens, like eleven twelve, so we're across the street. Grew up across the street from USC. So USC at the time was a pretty open campus. You could just come and go as you please. And so we was the rack pack. It was a bunch of us. So yould just go and hang out after school and look at Marcus Allen and just see all of these guys running around round a lot and the whole deal. And you know, you became part of the university and the campus, believe it or not. Local kids, local kids and local kids, so you know all of them. And like my mom managed the apartment building that a bunch of SC players lived in and we lived in. So back in this day you could manage an apartment building and get free rent and you just managed. That's my best when did and and so now all of a sudden you meet these guys and you're going to the games and you being a part of their culture and their whole deal. Yeah, I pitched BP to him, warmed them up, did the whole Shit's crazy story to people all the time. How's your VP throw? I was fine, he was knocking them out the park. I'm sure it was like probably big ass little toes that weren't you, uh, skinny but tall, tall, skinny kid. Yeah, but you know, VP, normal people, I know, but still you COMPI Raddy Johnson, Randy Johnson, Yeah, the big unit, the big he's a photographer for the NFL sidelines.
Speaker 2: Now, oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeahs and warmed up and warmed up Jack del Rio. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just say, Oh, what.
Speaker 1: Was Keishawan Johnson like in nineteen ninety nine rookie year, No, not ninety nine, rookie year, third year, ninety six six? What was I like? He first playoff game?
Speaker 2: I was him? I mean what you mean, mam?
Speaker 1: Ninety nine? Shit, I was living in New York. I was coming off well, it depends on what ninety eight ninety so, I was coming off my first Pro Bowl, my second Pro Bowl. I was coming off my second Pro Bowl. Shit, I was toasted the town. Where in New York are you living? So I was living in Long Island because we were in Long Island practicing. So I was living in Long Island. But I also had a apartment on Park Avenue as well. So hey, when you're a number one pick, you know you got two home Park Avenue, baby, Yeah, and I had just that's just that's just I was kind of married.
Speaker 2: But you know I was married at the time.
Speaker 1: I was kind of married. I hate to say it, but you know, probably probably probably loved my kids, great kids, the whole deal. Got a good deal out of that. Probably should have been married. Probably got married a little too early, you.
Speaker 2: Know, twenty two with a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, living in New York, probably a little too early.
Speaker 2: Little that's what I was doing.
Speaker 1: I was in the middle of pop culture, like you said, middle of everything that was going on, the East coast, West coast rap wars. I was in, you know, seeing people that was out there not to be named, but having some fun New York and that time had to be really fun. That sceneed had to be crazy sane. I love New York, New York's fun city. But see, we was good through then, good to the point where they have been so bad that everything was a plus from there anyway, right, I mean, like you think about it, I was one and fifteen as a rookie. Prior to that, they were two and fourteen. That's how they got me. Then we went one in fifteen, Bill came and the next year it was an AFC championship game. So it's kind of like same t Yeah, one year, what was the difference coaching. Dude, if you if you knew the fucking coaches Richie Cole tight I had like it was you'd you'd literally jump off a building. I mean it was the worst because I was coming from USC and so coming from USC toast of the town program Rose B. Cotton like we was the.
Speaker 2: Ship winning, like we was winning.
Speaker 1: And I go to a program.
Speaker 2: Our head coach was a guy named Richie koe type.
Speaker 1: How he got the job, I have no idea because he just got fired from Philadelphia because he was bad. You get fired because you're back, just like to do that so that they hire a fire coaches literally literally and they hires Richie co type. The funniest thing ever, though, is I'm just watching the culture of the building. So we had practice one day and our head coach, you know how, they have a couple of fields, a field over here, field over here, over here. He's off to one of the far fields while we're practicing. He's got the brick cell phone. He's just chilling while we're practicing on his phone, smoking his cigar. There's no I don't know who the hell he's talking to. But this was an everyday occurrence this was something that was going on crazy, right, that was crazy. It was the wildest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I was just like, this ain't my rookie year. Literally, we did whatever we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it, how we wanted to do it, you know what I'm saying, And we wanted fifteen and so at that point, for me, I really didn't care at one fit. I was like, these dudes gonna get fired anyway. So we're actually playing the New England Patriots. What one game and it's T and T at night and uh I, along with a couple of other veteran players, we go to the Foxy Lady in uh Providence Road, isan legendary spot Providence right for that establishment, but we're staying there. We go there on a on a Saturday, I think it was it was a Saturday, because we're playing on Sunday night. Saturday. We go there and we leave after bedcheck, but we walk right out the front fucking door.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: We don't go the side doors. We don't do anything. So now we are sitting at the Foxy Lady. Obviously there's no class like Vegas, and we're just being young kids that don't know any better or whatever. We go back. The bus is getting ready to get ready for the game. We get back to the hotel. We done missed. We done missed a pregame meal, the early meeting. We done missed all that, right, So we go back in. They cubed my room. I'm trying to get dressed. They come to my room, like what I was like when I was near sleep and I ain't y'all you know I overslept? You overslept this long? I said, yeah, mass shit, I was tired whatever, you know, the whole deal.
Speaker 2: And they're like, no.
Speaker 1: The security said, he's seen y'all leave and da d and so it was like a whole They was getting ready to send me back. But then I'm like, if y'all send me back, and it didn't go the way y'all say it, when y'all gonna be in trouble, not me, and they and then they said, hey, okay, he can stay, and.
Speaker 2: That I played. I wounded up playing the New England game that night.
Speaker 1: I did, okay. It was in ninety six check it out that coach Perso's first game. Because I knew they would get ready to fire the other coach already knew that. I'm like, they're about to fire coach Parcels comes in day one. Is it just completely different?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: He fired the dude at the front gate that was a security guard named Harry. Harry had been like the security guard for like however many years older. Guy Bill got rid of him immediately. And so one of our linebackers named Bobby Houston was a starting linebacker, started for the Jet Tunnel Noo four or five years in a row, solid linebacker, like really good. He told him if he wasn't at offseason conditioning, he was gonna get rid of him. Dude didn't come offseason condition never played again in the National Football League. Cutting never played again the Nation Football League. So those coaches he started, he started the OTAs it used to be, getting you had to get forty days over like a I want to say maybe a two and a half month period of time. You had to get forty days in, and it was like you go a week, maybe two weeks, you're off, then you come back a week, maybe off a week, you know that sort of deal. And so when he came, obviously I was one of the targets, right, oh, he call was one of the targets. So he called my agent, d do this that. And so I'm like, well, it's paying on the fucking with all that shit, man, you know. And so now my agent go, well, he say, if you don't come, da da da, I said, man, what shit man. I want to be at home my family. I can do the same thing here. He goes, you tell him it's how he talks. He goes, you tell him if he's not here on this such and such a date, it'd be the worst mistake he ever made.
Speaker 2: So I go.
Speaker 1: I go, right, So now at this point, I'm probably a little overweight. You know, I'm probably a little overweight, and I'm probably two twenty five ish somewhere in there. He goes, I sit down in his room.
Speaker 2: I go in there. I'm in his room.
Speaker 1: He's got a dark room. He's got one little light on. Like my feel like like you just said. He's sitting there and we're talking. He goes, how much did you weigh? I said, shit, I think I'm about two twenty five ish. He goes, what was that guy in the rose bowl? So I think I was probably two ten maybe. He goes, that's the guy I want, I said, Okay, cool, no problem. So now I go home, I come back, go through the whole offseason condition and I'm two o eight, right, so I'm looking crazy to him. I'm fucking you know. So now all of a sudden, that's all I needed. I'm made man now for the rest of my life. He got me for the rest of my life because I did everything he asked me to do. You see what I'm saying. Yeah, he asked me to do something for him. I did it like that. And now you could say, you couldn't say one bad word about me in front of him. You're gonna You're gonna catch hell. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. And so that's how I changed like that, and he's a he After my second year, after my first year with him in ninety seven, although I'm on a rookie contract, he tried to rip my contract up, but uh but the management council with the NFL wouldn't allow it.
Speaker 2: They we did the deal. We did.
Speaker 1: He was getting ready to make me at that time in ninety seven, I hadn't even done shit. I hadn fucking sixty five catches up. He was gonna make me the highest one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL at the time. We did the deal and everything, they sent it to management council. The management council didn't want to set a president, so they didn't approve it. That's how our trust and our loyalty became a bomb like it is now.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you gained parcels trust through cutting your weight. Yeah, and then from that day on because you did it.
Speaker 1: Even to this day. I just talked to him the other day. He goes, what's the number. I said, shit, man, I don't know. I'm probably two thirty five or something. You know, I just slipping down a little baby. He goes, yeah, you look good, but I don't know if you're two thirty five, look like you got walnuts in your cheeks.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm good, Coach, I really, you know. He said, well, you're doing good, son. You just keep doing what you're doing. Man, I'm proud of you because that's my guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's kind of you know when I said all the time. You know, when you're around a guy for a long time, that changes you. Like I was around Belichick. It becomes like a fatherly figure even though like we didn't have that kind of relationship. See, I had a crazy relationship with Parce Hills. I was the teacher's pet. Now I was Bill when Belchi when you were there, he was cool, but he wasn't the boss.
Speaker 2: He wasn't the boss. But he was the boss.
Speaker 1: But he wasn't the boss. He was the boss on one side of the ball. He was a boss on the other side of the ball. And so I used to take reps on both the ball, right, so because of the scout team, and I would go on defense and play safety and do some stuff there. As you notice, I got an interception in the games, right, so you know. But he was cool, like I went to I used to go to the met games with Belichick.
Speaker 2: Do chick was cool.
Speaker 1: He was he just was Belichick. It wasn't the boss yet, it wasn't the boss. But the crazy shit is this is how I knew, like when y'all really start getting down and winning and doing the whole world. Even before you that I knew him as a head coach was good uncle fucking Nobody say whether he cheated, didn't cheat, airb Gate, no gate, whatever, I knew he was good based on preparation. So I was part. I was a safety of the two minute drill, which on the back end, so let's call it the one minute. We would go every Friday to Friday. Every Friday after we do our walks or whatever, since you know I used to walk through, I would have to meet with him, just me and him, one on one. I'm probably watching cut ups from twenty years ago, that offensive coordinator. I don't care that these dudes are dead now, you know, but you got me literally watching the same thing. Look, it's a three point one and here's what they're gonna do. This is like six year old video. This isn't four game videos. Six. Then we get and I'm with him literally probably an hour and a half watching four plays because it was so attention to detail. But I wind up getting interceptions and because of them, so knowing where I should be with all that sort of stuff. That's how I knew he was good as a coach.
Speaker 3: And what another thing that he does, well, I think he can take complex shit and simplify it for an athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, he can give you a key. Hey, just worry about these three things. Yeah, if you burnt on something else, it's my fault. You're not good. What he used to tell you said, I don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: What where you go?
Speaker 1: Whatever? If I ever play against you, You're never gonna catch a pass. We're gonna double nineteen. That's it. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Did he get it when he left.
Speaker 1: No, because I only played in New England one time in the preseason and I might have had one catch and it was whatever, and I got out the game. We never got a chance to play against New England. And when I was playing, Brian Flores used to say that to me when he was our DC. Then he went to Miami. He literally doubled me every fucking play had I had one catch that whole game. But when I did play against the Jets, which is a carryover with al Gronim and that Belichick had left, but Al grow was still there and that was all part of the same team, he won catch one yard. When we played in Tampa game four or five of that season, I had one catch, one yard. It was a fucking shovel pass. Everywhere I went, Brian Cox lined up over me, Aaron Glenn was over the top of him, or or Marcus Coleman was on me Or and Aaron Glen was over the top of him with Victor Green over it was like, dude, seriously, like come on, let me breathe. Yeah, I had one catch, one yard. That might not be the worst game I ever had, because I had the one in Buffalo where I had nine attempts one catch. The bass stuck in my face my rookie year because it was so cold.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that exact same thing too. And ours was a week seventeen game. I wasn't even supposed to play because I was a little banged up and we were already thinking we were gonna.
Speaker 2: Win this game and clinch the playoff spot and whatever.
Speaker 1: Halfway through the second quarter, like I don't gonna get it in Oh fuck, you know, everybody said, getting gloved up and shit hit by everyone.
Speaker 2: Contact every play guy over here. Guy, it's the same.
Speaker 1: But Parcels was a guy man, He just he just got it. He knew what time it was, you know what I'm saying. He was the reason I actually a real reason, one of the main reasons I retired when I did, because I left probably five years on the table. But like he told me, you look at the assembly line the guys that you came in the league with they're getting off and there's new guys like, for instance, Julian Lleman, that's getting.
Speaker 2: Off young ones. What do you what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Are you know one Championshi, You've made tons of months like what are you chasing? And that told me says, Okay, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: What am I chasing?
Speaker 1: Let me go ahead and go into TV. That's why I went to ESPN because him and I went to ESPN together. Then he left the next year, he left and went to Miami to become the president of the team, and him and I talked about me becoming the general manager, but it would be economic suicide based on TV, and I wouldn't have been the first black general manager. So it was kind of like I said, man, you know what, I'm stay in TV.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: He wanted me to come back and play and play along with Ted Gin Junior and all these dudes and also be part of the front office. And I was like, I went down, did the visit, did the whole thing, and I just said, Nah, you know what, I'm good. I'm gonna stay on TV. I think I'm gonna be all right. It's it's nice when you wake up after work and you're not hurt, you're not sore. Yeah, because the older you get, regardless of everyone would anyone wants to say, how freak about when you're thirty three years old, thirty four years old?
Speaker 2: They hurt?
Speaker 1: But see, I was a I get bored fast, right. It ain't even wasn't even the injuries because I've never really been injured, right, it was just being bored sitting there listening to him talk to him about bunch ride two hundred jets smoke.
Speaker 2: I don't want to fucking hear that. Show what that is? Same shit.
Speaker 1: I don't want to look there, and I don't need that talk to him, but you're talking to me. I gotta sit in the room.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Let me just rest.
Speaker 3: That's what Randy Moss used to say. I don't say chatty l. These fucking meetings are gonna retire me. It's like the widest thing when you played in the league a long time. There's only so much shit you can learn. How much am I gonna see? Oh he's got inside leverage, here's what he gonna do. I know what he's gonna do.
Speaker 1: How many times offensive line coach gonna yell inside out, inside out? Yep?
Speaker 3: How many times you can hear that inside out hip to hip on a fucking double team. I'm not even alignment. I know that because I heard it so much.
Speaker 1: Hip the hip, hip the hip inside, get up on the second level, scraping over the top. Make sure you stay inside out. Don't let him force you like man, I don't look talk to him.
Speaker 3: It's a lot, though, it is, It really is. People don't realize that about pro sport, pro football. It's it's like you're in school. You only practice two hours. You're only outside for two hours. Everything else is fucking preparation. There's all the eggs in one basket. You only have seventeen games. So these coaches, they're fucking crazy and they prepare for everything.
Speaker 1: I used to tell Bill because we we lit. Y'all may have did it in uh New England. I don't know, but we would practice on fucking Christmas or practice on Thanksgiving. It we wouldn't have meetings after that was the nice thing. But dude, we want to go home. We have families. Just because you don't want to tell us said, just because you don't want to be home with your wife. Don't mean I don't want to be home with my family. Like seriously, what does say to you, Well, you just worry about Ty lowd you know some shit like that. You know something like do you just worry about Ty Law? You got the tie law flew this week. I know because at one time I did play this New Dan. I had like one hundred and it's probably like one hundred and four hundred and five was fucked up. I was toe up and uh, you know the media blah blah blah. He shining in practice, he got the tie law flew.
Speaker 2: The fuck I'm getting me to die talking about.
Speaker 1: How is thy line playing against him? He's physical?
Speaker 2: Huh, he was physical, but I was.
Speaker 1: A physical receiver. You're a big It was great. New England fans hated me because I didn't do nothing to talk shit and I just murdered New England. I used to murder them. That was the worst thing they could ever seen coming through the building. No real talk google it. Ty was like one of my one of my good friends that probably shouldn't have been a good friend being an opponent. So one time I run a jab one forty four x post play action boom. So I sell the all the out yeah to back to the post the ball and he hits me. He tackles me, but he helps me up in the fucking new ingid you know, fucking I said something about you plug and playing your dad and everybody went crazy's going on the fuck? I didn't do anything. I just said, these a nice receiver, the best one that they've had, plug and play. But anyway, the whole whatever, that radio station is up there. They went crazy. So yeah, ty Law helps me and the people went crazy, Oh, he's kicking your ass. And because we beat him in whatever, he's like, he's kicking your ass and you're helping him up off the fucking ground. This is not you know, New England football.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Like I helped him up. He's a friend of mine. Were playing in Pro Bowls together. We were Pro Bowl MVPs together, like stop. But it's just a crazy thing. But he was real, you know, he was physical and good though he was a good He was one of the better. Obviously he's a Hall of Famer, but he was one of different when y'all played than when we played even though you called us on the back end, tail end of our careers. The cornerbacks, in my opinion, were way better when I was playing than they are like now, because it was true travel man the man corners. Yeah, it was just nowadays it's zone. He's got one guy who's really good at the corner, but he's got a and you got three receives. I got to pick a receiver, where then it was three corners. It was I mean three receivers. It was three corners that could just go no matter what I mean, you know what I'm saying. No, I I agree a little bit with that. There was a lot more man.
Speaker 2: It's way more man.
Speaker 1: So like there's only in my generation. The only really guy that did it was Reeves probably did it. Revs is the only guy that would follow that travel. Yeah, he would followed guys because see you called tie at the end, but that was you know, that's old tie.
Speaker 2: And you know what I'm saying, baby was older. He was older.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the game also changed because the rules won two, A lot of these people went to this we call it the ceat six, which is like a match zone where these corners they had like the Sherman, the Sherman defense, Yeah, where they had these long ass corners where they play off and they play with their eyes in the back of the can break because they have helper and they really but it's it's like a man match. Yeah, so the game kind of changed. You know, no one's hitting anyone anymore.
Speaker 2: It's it's I would.
Speaker 1: Agree with Tyde with Field though, yeah, Chap with all them dudes with Field. But then back in them days though, and I hate to say back in the day because it sounds like it's like fifty five years ago, but I remember we're playing Kansas City. Kansas City was one of my worst outputs to uh. They got three corners. They had this guy named Dale Carter who was could have been the best corner ever in the history, but he just was dell. Uh. And then they had James Hasty's Hastys was as big as me. And they had a guy named Mighty Mouse that was probably half your size. The physical quick, No, he just was quick. So when I broke the huddle, so all week long, we're game planning for me to get deal Carter because Dale Carter was long. He was six' two and he was you, know a freaking nature and athletic and the whole. Deal all week, long were thinking we getting Del. Carter so we go To Kansas. City we break the huddle first AND i looked And hastys is going with my, fuck let's see now the fuck it's just getting ready to be ugly because he was so big and, strong physical and.
Speaker 2: Good he was.
Speaker 1: Good Brandon, brown it was so. GOOD i was over, there chicken, fight. MAN i got so frustrated in the game THAT i called. IT i caused a pick. Six the damn the cost us the game BECAUSE i couldn't get. OPEN i just.
Speaker 2: Could it was.
Speaker 1: RAINING i couldn't get. Open so we in a three BY i think it was. It it was an empty empty. Left that's, right it was empty left seventy four shout tosser a seventy five. YEARS i was in the three by. TWO i was the middle. Guy so we went one. TWO i was the middle. GUY i don't remember who's on the out out that chills versus, Two SO i BUT i, did you're in the. Shout, No i'm on The tosster's, slant so slant boom. Shout so Now corebet was the Was corbett the third guy a three slot running the ten yard shout. Route he was over there with us on. It he was on the he was on the slat. Side but WHAT i did IS i crossed face in front instead of, going, no you went. BEHIND i went behind instead of in, front always go in. FRONT i went. Behind because that's the first time and the last time that's ever. Happened the first time and the last. Time vine tests already dark custom pick six going the other. Way we damned to lose the, game BUT i was SO i couldn't get. OPEN i fucking go. Behind Donnie edward was, jumped falls off Of, couebette and THEN i fell off Of. Corbett picked six the other, Way and when it, HAPPENED i just was, like holy, FUCK i just lost the. Game dog cuss me.
Speaker 2: Out you, know you fucked, up.
Speaker 1: DUDE i never did it, again never had that issue. Again but It's football's, fun you. Know did you always remember your first dog custs on the tosser and that getting across the face BECAUSE i NEVER i was always the outside. Guy the last guy was the third. Guy, well they're probably trying to get, you and then we're trying your. Decors many Times i've been. Decoyed so, yeah because if you're crossing face and trying to open up that every cross cross behind AND i FUCKING i don't know what made me go.
Speaker 3: Behind you know how many times we? RAN i, mean it's so funny to hear shout. Tosster that's our offense.
Speaker 1: Too it's coming from seventy five shot tosser empty, right, uh semis eighty, Two semi eighty, Three semi called it seam thirty, five ride thirty, five base thirty, four base thirty four and then one thirty four would be the action one thirty four protect max protect one thirty four x. Curl you'd have a two man route concept maybe one if it's the same offense two act or double TIGHT.
Speaker 2: X we used called number New.
Speaker 1: York it was like our thirteen personnel were to be only be one receiver everyone Else New york. Personnel, Yeah New, york and that.
Speaker 2: Would be like a key.
Speaker 1: Shot that was what was what was the other? One? Was New york was?
Speaker 2: One but what was the one with THE?
Speaker 1: Z New york was The New york was the ex and, uh it was the other one was gonna kill. Me it was the other one though it was the same. Thing it, was was? It but it was a z tight z we used to call. It it might have been too TIGHT. Z BUT i did. BOTH i did, both. YEA i was basically, YEAH i was the big. Dude SO i had to put the hand in the, ground come in like a fake tied.
Speaker 2: IN i Caught.
Speaker 1: TEDDY i Called Teddy bruski one, time Old ship right at the goal, line down on the, ground slammed. Down he fucking shot pop out touchdown freebie against The. Patriots thank, you old, ship Old. Ship and SO i go to the stands AND i give the throat. Slash they outlawed that BECAUSE i gave the throat. Slash but this was at the, time but that probably wasn't. GOOD i did to Do why what was going? ON i think we were coming off we were coming out of the whole OLD. J, simmons the whole.
Speaker 2: Deal, Yeah So.
Speaker 1: Brett farv had did it that same. Week farv did it that same, week AND i did it that same. Week in the league was, like no more throw slashes, Please, yeah too many throw Fashion we'll cut it. Man nineteen ninety, Nine Ricky williams of The Heisman, trophy what a. Monster he was should have gone TO sc though he's From San. Diego, yeah that's. True he almost, came BUT i Guess texas paid. MORE i heard he took a pay cut to get to the league for his first few. Years probably you KNOW TD. Mvp he was a monster for that like a six year. Span it was Just Treel. Davis we played against them THE Afc championship. Game Randy moss Was rookie of The year this. Year what a STUD i played With randon he, Was he was a. Monster what do you think Of randy? Freak Freak Just i've never seen somebody so tall be able to run so fluid. Fluid, yeah it doesn't even look like he's.
Speaker 2: Running ALMOST sc.
Speaker 1: Two, well, yeah that. Close he went to the he had a crazy. Story, yeah but he but when he got bounced out of Either Florida state or know the, name he was gonna come TO. Sc BUT i don't THINK i think we just said, NAH i never mind because he was gonna. Come it played with, me but they were just, LIKE i think it was the whole and it wasn't even that, horrible, Right it's just not to, me it's Not it's nothing Near, okay you get into a.
Speaker 2: Fight, YEAH i mean it's not that big of a.
Speaker 1: Deal n Il are you staying all and if you were in nil, Life, yeah are you staying at sc all? Year you going to Heightst.
Speaker 2: Bidder i'm staying at sea all? Year all.
Speaker 1: Clear the reason is is because we could, pay AND i. Wouldn't i'm a loyal. Person i'm not a bouncing around. Guy like you know What i'm, Saying, Like i'm not gonna leave just because somebody offering, me you, know four million versus two and a. Half i'm not gonna jump and run Because i'm a loyal. Guy, PLUS i value. EDUCATION usc is. Educator we run the state Of. California luma lums were all over the so you.
Speaker 2: Know What i'm.
Speaker 1: Saying so it's a little bit different, dynamic and they we we will, pay but it would have been very. EXPENSIVE i probably would have been we were, TALKING i was having this conversation not too long. AGO i probably was based on with all these arch mannings and ship like, that GETTING i probably was a.
Speaker 2: Ten million dollar guy a.
Speaker 1: Year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah IF i.
Speaker 1: Had to equate that what number? Receiver you, know it's a different got a certain Look i'm from L. A you know What i'm, saying kind of got a nice look to me and SH i probably would HAVE i would BECAUSE i bawled out my sophomore year at. College but you went to a smaller, school SO i would have went To. Oregon that's What i'm. Saying you would have, left you'd have. LAUGHED i would have went to the pack. Town of, course would have. Left but it will be smart for you to, leave leave in usc to go? Where well where AM i going To? Alabama going to all of Fuck? Obama me going To? Alabama brother from The west. Coast hell, no the bag was way. Bigger it wasn't gonna be. Much oh that's Your that's that's. True we can pay what we want to pay when we want to pay, It so who we want to pay? It two IN I l wasn't IN I. L BUT i still got WHAT i needed even though it wasn't INN I. L you see What i'm, saying wing.
Speaker 2: Wing and then ALSO i mean as, see, hey they have some of the.
Speaker 1: Most they have like the most, heismans, RIGHT i think we do by like one by, one like Maybe Ohio state or. Something what's The mount rushmore OF usc football. Players, man it's it'd be tough to build one because we so deep. Deep, yeah we don't even Celebrate All american status unless your number, one unless you're first team and you have to be Like Walter camp or ap or one of those. Type it can't be Like Julian Elleman's All american First team he. Voted they wouldn't even did give you a plaque because we got too many for, years like we don't even Have we don't even retire jerseys unless you win The.
Speaker 2: Heisman it's a real estate problem.
Speaker 1: There it's just it's crazy, Though like you couldn't be When Tom brady And Julia adam Is All American. Team, okay that's, cool but they're not going to honor you for.
Speaker 2: That you.
Speaker 1: Know that's just how The that's how university. Is it's just a weird. Deal off the top top four right, now, though who do you think immediately you can put yourself In I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm ian automatically, though that's.
Speaker 1: Easy got Unanimous all pac twelve one hundred anniversary, team like only dude to get. It only only one out of, everybody only one out of all the great. Players you're the top three that are sitting up on That man mountain with. You but, no, Boss i'm, serious it's hard because of the history and the day there Who Mark's, Allen that's.
Speaker 2: What i'm just. HARD i just gonna go by era because.
Speaker 1: Think about this, Though, Julian Ronnie, Lot, okay so let's just, say let's just Say Ronnie, Lott anthony Munjos Lin, Swan Marcus, allen what About Troy? Polamolo what About Keshawn? Johnson what About Carson? Palmer what about you, know, like it's just, Hard, reggie but like it's can't even you could do. IT i think we do it more by position than we do by The mount. Rushmot we do ours more by position in the theme. Park there's No mount rushmore sighting for. Us see They so when you start saying best running, back now that's. Easier Marcus, allen what About Reggie? Bush, Okay Reggie bush?
Speaker 2: Too you know you Just Charles.
Speaker 1: White you, know it's just, like but then when you get the receivers hands, down we all know who that.
Speaker 2: Is so it didn't even.
Speaker 1: Question it's mus not even close him. Close let's go not. Close i'm you, Know i'm an air. Game but still not. Close it's not it's not. Close so let's jump into this, Game. Jackie let's do. It let's do.
Speaker 2: It should hit These.
Speaker 1: Jags first hit these These jags eleven and five and.
Speaker 4: Went they're fourth year in. Existence they came in in ninety five with The. PANTHERS i remember that as an expansion. Team Tom coughlin Shawl uh from the beginning to NOW gm as well.
Speaker 1: Drafted Fred taylor ninth over all this, year Rookie. Fred this year he had played With Freddy Beast REGGIE. B.
Speaker 4: Barlow this was back when they were in THE Afc Central for all you conference heads out, there uh when six and two individual games started the year hot five and zero and just leading up to, this they had quite a bit of, success made the playoffs in their first two out of their first three, seasons and they were in THE Afc championship in ninety.
Speaker 1: Six which Is keenan mccardill letting the team sixty four, CATCHES i mean receive, it but oh, no it's just, okay you just got sixty four. SEPTIONSS i thought that was the. Leaders now they just got two, Leaders jimmy and. Him Well, jimmy he Had, jimmy he had eleven hundred, yards eight. Tugs we gotta put some show on these. Guys mark crazy, though seventy eight catches and sixty four catches back, then be like one hundred and twenty five. Today, yeah, crazy, right you know it's crazy that what what Did Fred taylor didn't really fred too. Much freda was a. Rookie, yeah this is rookie. Year, yeah everybody for twelve hundred. Yards, YEAH i mean he had a hell of a rookie. Year but you could. Tell probably In belichick's meeting he said Of, eland this guy beat.
Speaker 2: Us, yeah, Sure i'm. Sure i'm sure he.
Speaker 1: Did what do you think about when you think of This jaguars?
Speaker 2: Team they was. GOOD i mean they were they were right.
Speaker 1: There he just could never get over the hump when you look at the. SECONDARY i Remember Aaron beasley came out with me From, Virginia West. Virginia, Uh Donovan darius With Syracuse Donovan Darius damn that broke my sternum on a on a on a turkey hole shot on the on the, right on the right, side line out up and he hit Me bawn and, AGAIN i still feel it to this. DAY i held onto the, ball you.
Speaker 2: Know and it's so.
Speaker 1: Funny his, DAUGHTER i believe his daughter what did was his daughter works At. Fox she had put him on the phone on me a couple of months. Ago, yeah and he we were talking about that hit and then he hit me late on the reverse for the. Touchdown oh, yeah you were like two steps into the intil he hit me. Late but whatever this and you're a Tall yeah he's been. Down, Yeah Dion, figures but he got the worst on the turkey hole. Shot he the one who got the worst sometimes because you're a big ass moe. Fucker AND i knew how to absorb the. Hit Dion. FIGURES i. REMEMBER i remember all these, dudes LIKE i played With Tony biselli in. College, Tony butceelli taught me how to. Block what did he, Say just drive my feet locking in and just drive my feet. DUMP i just did a VOICE myil episode before, this AND i, said you don't block with your, hands you block with your.
Speaker 2: Feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it's hand battled to get in. Position AND i Tell Mark brunell all the, TIME i picked you be.
Speaker 2: Quiet that's. True Reggie bowler is one of my good.
Speaker 1: Friends now that you did Did parcells say anything About coughlin when you remember preparing about this because he just because they were all under. Him, yeah he coached with, him and here's what they're gonna. Do And Chris palmer is a friend of, mine and you know.
Speaker 2: He gave it a whole.
Speaker 1: Spiel, YEAH i can see. It let's break down These. Jets get into these twelve and Four New york Four. Jets, man it's weird to, say, right that's.
Speaker 2: Crazy twelve and.
Speaker 1: FOUR i did Get we got our ass beat by The jets in the. Playoffs, oh San, Chito, yeah San, chito go keep. Going, no, man these guys.
Speaker 4: WERE Afc east. Champs this Was Bill parcell's second. Season turn that thing around. Quick you remember two years before This keishawn's rick year one in. FIFTEEN i mean brutal.
Speaker 2: Stuff that's a.
Speaker 4: Turnaround brought In Curtis martin in the, offseason Signed vinnie Test. Verty he'd been let go By BALTIMORE U seven regular season wins over eventual playoff, teams which is pretty, Cool, like you beat some good competition this.
Speaker 2: Year, uh some dudes on this. Team this was a team with some.
Speaker 4: Dudes you Got Wayne, crebbett you Got Keisha, On Kyle, brady the tight, End Vinnie, Testa, VERDI i, Mean Pepper.
Speaker 2: Johnson, lewis and then the star.
Speaker 4: Started otis my Man, smith you got like a star started coaching staff as you, know you Got Romeo, crenell you Got Charlie, weiss you Got Bill, belichick he got Al groho he talked about. Earlier the big tune is your head coach hadn't been to hadn't won a playoff game in twelve, years hadn't made the playoffs in Nine so this was.
Speaker 2: Big, no this was this was a big. Deal this is a big.
Speaker 1: Game we'll be right back after this quick. Break how Was Aaron glenn as a? Teammate do you know he's gonna be a head? Coach current head coach on the. TEAM i didn't know he would be a head coach until later on in his coaching. Career great, TEAMMATE i, mean it's like one of my. Boys but didn't not really looked at. HIM i thought maybe oldest would have been a head, Coach Jerome henderson would have been a head, coach those type of dudes who've been head, coaches NOT. AG i didn't THINK ag was gonna be a head. Coach, HEY i just didn't SEE i just did see him. Coaching he just. Didn't he never used. To he never used to. COACH i Knew Brian cox would be a coach because he was always fucking, coaching especially like.
Speaker 2: Me he would coach me and to go cuts out the.
Speaker 1: Coaches he would literally be, like not tell, them, motherfucker to get your ball man, on fucking you, know key, man tell them.
Speaker 2: Off and he was cussing the coaches out. Too it was.
Speaker 1: It this was, like out of all the teams THAT i played, on this was was WHERE i had my most. Fun was this this unit with these guys you're young girls show you're still, yeah but just the, personalities like the, camaraderie a lot of, dogs a lot of, dolls but there was a there was a there was literally like to work hard if you're with Personal, yeah this was A this was a serious, camaraderie team building type. Situation where other teams THAT i played, on it was it was, clickish but all of us would hang, together whether it Was, richie whether it Was Ray, lucas whether it was Even, quebec even even uh Dietrich. Ward Obviously Chris Vick Marcus, Coleman uh you, know uh Mole. FAERRY i just was with Ferri er not too long. Ago like we all would fucking go after the, games all go to the clubs and party and it was just a it was it. Was it was a just a crazy, thing. Man but the interesting thing Is bill would have me followed by, Security like the security team would follow me WHEREVER i. Go AND i come back the next day and be, like how was that chicken prom? Palm how did that?
Speaker 2: Go fucking?
Speaker 1: Fuck so one DAY i was In New, jersey And New jersey from our practice, facilities probably in, traffic was probably three hour drive or whatever the case. Is SO i was messing with a gal at this time that Was she's laughing THAT i probably.
Speaker 2: Wasn't.
Speaker 1: MARRIED i probably shouldn't have been messing with let's just say that probably should should have waited a little bit longer to deal with. That SO i get back to the. Facility he, goes what were you doing In? Jersey that's the way he, Talked what were you doing In? Jersey what do you?
Speaker 2: Mean what WAS i? DOING i wasn't In.
Speaker 1: Jersey don't you lie to?
Speaker 2: ME i, said what you're talking.
Speaker 1: About, bill don't you drive a green navigated one of those. TRUCKS i, said, YEAH i. Drive he, says, well you stupid or you? Dumb said what the? FUCK i, said, coach what are you talking? About you were over That broad's. House i'm, Like, bill are you talking? About are you? Stupid she's not even officially divorced. Yet i'm, like what the? Fuck you should port your car in the? Garage you got your parked. OUTSIDE i ain't know everything you this Is i'm telling you the, Truth. Jules And i'm, like this motherfucker Really and So i'm, like SO i was mad basically the whole. Week SO i wouldn't even talk to. Him, SEE i played games with. HIM i literally like some of my ex, teammates if you ever get a chance. TO i used to play games with the. Coaches you, know coaches try to act you have a bad, game and they try to act like they wan't to talk to. You they you, know they don't say but two. Words that's HOW i used to treat. Them i'd go warm, up put my cliques. ON i won't talk to. HIM i go stand over, there stretched by. Myself what's wrong with him?
Speaker 2: Today nothing?
Speaker 1: Wrong, Man i'm good AND i walk. Away they try to bring ME i want to tell you something about this. ROUTE i, go, okay, cool, Go BUT i freeze them out like they would do. Us and so that whole WEEK i didn't say a word to him at. All and you can tell he knew. That he made me mad by Sending Steve, yarnell which was our security, guy sent some of their investigators to follow. Me they used to follow literally follow us all In New York city and. Everything but that's WHY i love.
Speaker 2: You though it, was it was some of the.
Speaker 1: Best it was some of the best those, times some of the. Best, man your a big investment. Dog, no but you intment you don't need to. Have i'm. NOT i. Don't first of, ALL i don't do. DRUGS i. BARELY i don't even THINK i was drinking at this. Time it's not about, that.
Speaker 2: Though you, know what if what if NO i did?
Speaker 1: It what if someone comes IN i, KNOW i get.
Speaker 2: IT i probably shouldn't be the green.
Speaker 1: Navigator, PROBABLY i don't. Know probably some parcels got two dudes out, there gotting them for.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: No, True, no it's, true it's. True it's. True it's. True i'm gonna say it's, true probably shouldn't have done, that but what are you gonna, say you? Young it was one of the. Things it's, like, oh what Was Wayne kerbett like like a? Teammate wayne was cool. Man he was just a normal guy who worked his little tail, off, overachiever deserves literally everything that he. Got and we we played together and we it's a crazy thing because we used to go, out we, drove we went To Atlantic city in the limousine. Together and this was after my, Book this is like in ninety, eight and, shit.
Speaker 2: It just he.
Speaker 1: Was he was cool, man hard, worker you. Know he was a hard, working little little son of a. GUN i call him the original uh they call him slot. Father what's the fucking guy that played In New? England Wes Wes. Welker, yeah he the Original Wes welker. Type he was a good little, dude, scrappy fight his ass, off you. Know and the thing with me and him is the media In New York West coast Versus east, coast white versus, black big personality versus little little. Hometown he, wrote they took that and ran with it and they created. IT i remember, That, yeah they created BECAUSE i but in all, FAIRNESS i probably shouldn't have called him a mascot in my, book but but it.
Speaker 2: WASN'T i didn't look at it as a as a Disc that's not WHAT i looked at.
Speaker 1: It they looked at like he's. Done he the path Of like he's the flag. Carrier he's the guy, that no matter what goes, wrong he's a. Jet he's a fucking, jet through and. Through that's the WAY i looked at. Carrier but they in the media didn't look at it that. Way they looked at it his Brash West coast flip flop Wearing bord shork t. Shirt guy comes in driving ferrari our guy who works, hard carries a lunch pail From New. JERSEY i dare, You that's the way they looked at, it you. KNOW i was, like WHATEVER i saw That cribs episode of way In. Corbett he has some cars now crib a couple and. Vets he had a.
Speaker 2: Bent but that was the.
Speaker 1: Difference so that right there is WHY i became the number one overall. Pick it wasn't just my football. Skills it was everything THAT i brought to the. Organization WHEN i first got to The, jets them, jokers was wearing jeans and boots and driving. Trucks all of a, SUDDEN i, Come i'm suited and. BOOTED i got the ear, RINGS i got the Diamond. Rolexis i'm living a certain. Life Driving ferraris In New York, city it was just a Different you see What i'm.
Speaker 2: Saying you know what the kids call?
Speaker 1: That, now what's that? Swag and they say you Got? Aura, WELL i had a plus swag right Plus, riz you Know riz. Baby and so all of a, sudden that, team all those dudes. Change they start Driving, Ferraris, Porschees, Mercedes being's. Trucks they just started doing all that. SHIT i mean they were also one in, fifteen two and. Fourteen when you go eight and eight and you start making the, Playoffs jungers gonna put. Sate you never had this experience to be able to go into a city and you get ready to go in the restaurant and they close the window on. You, no it's closed and open because you. Suck they wouldn't even let you win In New. York i've had that experience.
Speaker 2: Before it's.
Speaker 1: Brutal we, Go we're, like, oh how you? Go they're, like oh, no we. Closed we it's like couple being you serious right? NOW i just see all lady of five. People it's nine. O'clock, men It's New York. City because they wouldn't even let a scene because we were so bad they didn't want our. Business, wow we were bad though at one, fifteen you're not. Here, no we're good. There let's jump into. It let's see JACK. U let's break this game. Down so The jets were coming in this. Thing the two seed got to buy finished year in a six game win. Streak they were, hot The jags new, team but up and coming balling couldn't quite get over that.
Speaker 4: Hump As keishawan said, earlier first time they won their, division they were the three seed coming off a wild card, round went over The patriots twenty five to. Ten faltered a little bit down the, stretch lost two of their last three in the regular.
Speaker 1: Season oh and this Was Bill parcells's first.
Speaker 4: Game As jets head coach in the playoffs And kishon's first playoff.
Speaker 1: Game, SEE i didn't even know what the two seed meant back because so. Young, YEAH i didn't even the magnitude of getting the two. Seed, really it's, like, oh we're in the, playoffs he got the two. Seed, okay we got a home. GAME i didn't really ain't a buye yeah a. BYE i really didn't die later on in my, career how important that ship. Was, well when you're, older you need it more. Too, yeah because you need the health you know you, need you need that extra. Time now what do you doing bye week with with? Parcels did you give you a tough bye? Week or you guys full blue and white game like we used to do full. Scrimmage now we didn't, scrimmage but we would have practice and a whole deal and in pads and run it back and do you know started back from the. Top you fucked? Up blah blah, blah same. Thing two days would be really. Hard give you a few days off then come. Back so we would we would try to figure out when we actually had off, EVERYONE i, mean but they wouldn't tell me never never.
Speaker 2: Never sneaky coaching Because bill used to do that ship with.
Speaker 1: Us BUT i Had But i've always had. Moles mold you gotta Have i've always had a. Mold you always have a mole always BECAUSE i was always cool to, Everybody like, Right i'm taking care of, DUDES i always got. It so they you, know, Like i'm not supposed to say, this BUT i think you guys are off On friday back, month you know that type of, thing and who's who's more like some of the coaching staff's your, staff but they could be a G. A i could be an assistant.
Speaker 2: COACH i was.
Speaker 1: CLOSE i was close With Todd, hayley my receiver coachure that's like my. Brother And bill knew, that so he wouldn't even. Tell he wouldn't Tell todd certain ship trying to find out who the rast it's one. Time, UH i don't know If New england they ever did this. Before so we're actually getting ready to Play New. England this is the The Foxy lady. Game this is no this is this is Either Tuna bowl one Or Tuna bowl.
Speaker 2: Two, Okay, bears yeah he did.
Speaker 1: You, know you, Know bears was my he was my. Guy, yeah and Then bill took him from. You, Yeah bill took him from.
Speaker 2: Me bears started with how was he back?
Speaker 1: Then he, Was, yeah he was my age, basically but he was he worked, hard but he was my. Guy IF i went, left he left went, right he went. Right you wanted to get me On julian. Show you have to talk to. Him you, know he was with me at the press. Conferences HE i was essentially training him For belichick the whole entire time on. You yeah, no but he BUT i Told bill to hire him when because we all left at the same. Time So i'm, like this is who you need because that press conference you had was harseship with that. Note you know you gotta hire my. Dude and, so oh, SHIT i forgot my tray to thought WHAT i was About Tula. Bowl so The Tuna. Bowl AND i don't know If belichick ever did. This so we're we're, practicing and now practice is. Sloppy he got so pissed he snatched the call sheets and. Everything he made all the, PLAYERS i mean all the coaches get off the. Field he made the fucking guy from the tower come, down stop. Taping practice is. Over if you motherfuckers want to win and you want to, practice say out, here do the ship your fucking. Self they started leaving the, coaches leaving he upstairs at this little. Window you could see him opening the curtain every now and trying to see. Us he want to see.
Speaker 2: Us we're.
Speaker 1: Practicing Because vinnie and Beat cox and they have The yeah we got, yeah, yeah the whole, deal the whole. Deal, yeah the whole, deal the whole. Deal and we made the. Film guys go back up and start the. Film so they watched the, tape you, know coaches with the, bullshit they watched the. TAPE i just was, like these motherfuckers and we went up The fox boll beat the ship out Of Pete.
Speaker 2: Carroll yeah we beat them. Bad oh, yeah we beat them. BAD i think The bowl, TWO i think, yeah, yeah the first close first. ONE i think like like a like a last minute. TOUCHDOWN i hit the.
Speaker 1: CORNER i hit The Max cafe X. Q i was THE x on The Max cafe at the deep deep corner in the back of the END z on the left hand.
Speaker 2: SIRE i know my ship with the overtime and there is some special team stuff. Here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah John hall missed the field, goal the walk off field. GOAL i Love John hall smoked that. Weed that was my, kicker hey. Kicker, yeah he was. Cool he wasn't a.
Speaker 2: Kicker he was a.
Speaker 1: Dude, well we had a we had a couple of those. Guys he was a guy like he was one of our. Boys you know What i'm, saying there's always. One there's always a kicker or punter that can hang with. Them back in that, day they hated. More, yeah but you gotta think back in that, day he was so cool and he liked the black. Girls and he's a white, kicker and he wanted to hang out with us because he liked the black. Chicks you know What i'm. Saying, no we don't. Care but back in that, day you, know but you, know times have changed a. Lot when he, said once you go, black you never go. Back man Oh, man.
Speaker 2: Shout Out John, all shout Out, jay.
Speaker 1: Heazy But bill Was bill's Benf this, team this brings back. Mebe this is a fun. Team all, right what a good group of. Dudes let's jump into the.
Speaker 2: Game all.
Speaker 4: Right we just got a little quote From keishan here to foreshadow of this. Thing week leading up to the, Game keishawan, SAID i want to be the guy on every, play, running, catching, blocking. Whatever and we saw that today in this literally From kishan with the stat line insane comes out. Hot vinnie finds Keish on in that twenty one yard see right down in the middle of, there. Touchdown John hall then as on a fifty two, yarder at the, time the longest field goal In jets playoff. History, wow a little fun fact for the special.
Speaker 2: Teamers, YAH i didn't know he had a fifty two yard got up ten.
Speaker 4: Nothing then we get to one of the wilder moments of the, game whereas Where kishaw's fumble recovery comes From Curtis martin fumble. Weird Chris hudson returns the, ball tries to do a lateral on the. Run boy play hustle played from kishon tracks other. Side gotta getting covered that, thing got?
Speaker 1: It? Yeah get mad the ball turn you gotta you gotta chase in, in you. Know and in this situation that was just me in general, though RIGHT i. WAS i was on the other side of the, field AND i Saw curtis, fumble AND i just, said let me get on my. Horse if they just slowing, Down i'm gonna catch. Him they just gotta make him slow it. Down that's what happened in and he wound up trying to ladder BECAUSE i was in the right place at the right time and doing my. Job this is what.
Speaker 4: Happened that's what happens when you hustle, amen right. Place it was one of the dumber Moves i've seen.
Speaker 2: That that.
Speaker 1: Lateral that was a bad. Lateral, no it.
Speaker 2: WAS i don't, know because he's not used to carrying the.
Speaker 1: Ball catchers, catch, throw us.
Speaker 3: Throw Did parcels ever have drills for the defensive. Guys, yeah they always had, to like on how to carry the. BALL i don't know if they we used to do.
Speaker 1: That bill would show those plays and, say, look, asshole like you're. Nothold we're not doing this. Right, okay if you're gonna do, this it better be the last play of the, game and we need you know WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Mean it's just Fucking oh my. GOSH i would hate to be in the film room With bill after IF i had done that. Latter oh my. God, no it was crazy.
Speaker 1: Though this is, crazy, man and this game was crazy.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 4: Insane that set Up keshawn's other touchdown the end a. Round as we, mentioned reverse.
Speaker 1: Was butch right toss thirty eight z reverse left.
Speaker 2: The same fucking, play so we would change.
Speaker 1: Formationally depend started getting all that zip zoom snug. Bullshit later on that. SHIP i had all that shit With grooten punk ass and zip is just, basically, yeah TAILOR z gotta come in to, block, yeah or come half zip down because we would do that. Too we would go butt, Right we would go butt, right zip toss thirty eight. Gators SO i would come and zip down and then come back. Around, yeah it was grooding like as a.
Speaker 4: Coach we get through this, anyways before the, half we get up seventeen to. Nothing here there's a little, scuffle a little scuffle before The have you like to see that and play a? Football Jumbo elliott and Old Kevin, hardy they were getting into.
Speaker 2: It jumbo was.
Speaker 1: Big he WAS i don't know what type office in lineman you played, with but he might have been one of the Big he could walk to the door. Man he was one of them type of dudes.
Speaker 2: On time name too so. Big, yeah we Had we had a.
Speaker 1: Couple we didn't WE i had one really big Hoo Trent, Yeah Trump, Brown Trimp brown was a large. HUMAN i think he was like But jumbo was a large human but ripped. Up he had the little you know how we used to we had THE v back in the. Day that's what he had as a line and he had THE.
Speaker 2: V that's like.
Speaker 1: Crazy we had A Nate. Soldier, YEAH i. Know nate was really like he he was three hundred and fifteen pounds of a six. Pack, yeah this is How jumbo, was you know WHAT i. Mean so there's just Like jumbo was cool, too bone, Man jumbo was. Cool that was one of my coolest offensive line HOMIES i. Had, yes it's so funny. MAN i, uh before you mentioned the, Halftime before the, Half Jimmy smith. SCORED i believe that's fifty two.
Speaker 2: Yard bomb six seconds right as the half.
Speaker 1: WAS i was supposed to go in the, game, oh in, safety to be the.
Speaker 2: Safety.
Speaker 1: Wow barcels And belichick got into, it and it was the craziest ship we ever ever seen on the sideline between two coaches, ever because Bella check didn't want to put me, In parcels wanted to put me. In belichick said, no and they went right up the rail bomb touchdown. Them parcelles just lit his, Ask oh my, gosh how was that? Relationship at that? TIME i thought it was, Fine and it's great now they like, Now but at that TIME i thought it was.
Speaker 2: FINE i DIDN'T i don't know the. Difference.
Speaker 1: Right he came back the next, year but that, thing my. EYEBALLS i was, like Because i'm standing there ready to go inn you know the, situation you, Know and he's like, No And parcells told. Him at this, Time parcells said something to the effect, of you think you know every fucking. Thing that's your fucking. Genius, huh you think you know. Everything that's why you fucking got fired From. Cleveland, yeah that'll that'll get, it that'll get the fumes. Going shots. FIRED i was like, This oh, shit it's when the situation came up. AGAIN i went in and got the. Deception.
Speaker 2: Yo that was the craziest.
Speaker 1: Gus But i've Seen bill do that to the coaches before. Ourselves the type of coach that goes for, neck he going for, Throat he's gonna go for. Kill shot, man try to light that fire in your huge. SHOT i watched THE i Watched bill get. IT i Watched bill get. It Charlie, weiss what? Time because you know how you do the, cards the cards wasn't in. Sync it was like all messed. Up and at this, Time Krispy Kreme Krispy Kreme donuts had just became a big, thing came to The east coast Of New. York so we used to make all the younger guys go pick him up or, Whatever, yeah pick him, up put him out at the And charlie would come to the players lounge and gets up. Donuts he had messed up the, cards what time And bill's. HID i bet you if those these fucking cards Charge Krispy kreme, donut you'd have got that Right. Jesus we was, like oh, shit but that's how he, was, though you, know that's HOW i. Was what's the worst thing he laid into? You WHEN i was with The jets though he trying to. Think one, time he just he was just saying, that AM i coming to? Play i'm coming to the. Game that wasn't smart like. That he wasn't really never you, know into me like. That but WHEN i got To dallas coming From. Tampa, Uh we're playing The Cleveland browns and Late Terry glenn gets hit. Late SO i see it from a distance AND i run over there AND i kicked the ship out of the dude from spearing kicked. Him SO i basically took four points off the, board kick in the field goal fifteen yard blah. Blah so he was, like you know that was. STUPID i don't know what's gotten into. You just you left the Fucking jets and that ship was stupid and, nah you, know just going off and off and, off And i'm barking back at, him cussing back at, him, cussing and that was pretty much.
Speaker 2: It then one time were up In.
Speaker 1: Seattle we're playing in The, seahawks AND i was. Playing, OKAY i had a good, game BUT i should HAVE i should have called a corner route for a, touchdown BUT i. DIDN'T i didn't jump enough aggressive. ENOUGH i kind of just put my hands, up BUT i didn't gonna get. It and SO i go back to the. Sideline i'll kick a field. Goal he's talking shit. Whatever So i'm, LIKE i, said, WELL i don't have to play For you can fucking trade. ME i don't really give a. Fuck you can cut me whatever you want to and see how you see how this rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Go so you fight fire with for. Fire so now end of.
Speaker 1: The, Game i'll take the fucking ball off the dude's head on a. VINNIE i don't. Know it might have been like a forty yard throw, touchdown BUT i go AND i just lost the. Dudes so after the, game walked. Through you could play with me.
Speaker 2: ANYTIME i, said of COURSE i. Can't you know that's the type BECAUSE i was a sit talker right we.
Speaker 1: Played he was just Getting he knew how to put people's buttons to get them to. WORK i told you so one time we Play indy and this is ninety, nine were planning In indy if we, win we're in. Testa verdie's, Hurt Ray lucas is, in so we go time out. Sideline they, say what do you want to? Do they because they used to come to me for, all like a lot of. Players he come to, me go what do you want to? Do, so, Man i'm whatever y'all want to. DO i think we should go for a vert, here leave me, inside Put wayne outside of. Me and THEN i Think charlie was, like, no, no put key, outside Put wayne in. Four let's go half personnel the, bender make him the. Bender they'll all run the key. Shine everything was, perfect really. Was it was a perfect call. Play everything was good Except wayne couldn't get up to get it because it was just slightly above his. Hands so To paul Rick, a chet's off his.
Speaker 2: Hands we lose the.
Speaker 1: Game it's not his fault, whatever, right go into the locker. Room bill's walking. In god damn, it mad there's a trash, can and the trash can is still it's not. Plastic he kicks the fucking trash. CAN i think he broke his.
Speaker 2: Tongue SO i, GO i go to.
Speaker 1: It that's what you get what he.
Speaker 2: Said he just looked at. Me he used to.
Speaker 1: Do, man somebody we have that's like a father to. ME i talked to him four or five times a. Month he kicks the. THING i, go that's what that's that's what you. Get you, know he just shakes his head, whatever you. Know but but the things THAT i would, do like you, said fight fire with, fire needle. Needle BUT i was the first one on the, BUS i would. Be he didn't know THAT i was like that till we Played buffalo AND i happened to be the first one on the bus taking his. Seat you see What i'm saying up In, buffalo and he was like he was shocked because he was on the first bus that leaves super. Early he couldn't believe it out because he ain't never had nobody like that. Before so he respect, that you know What i'm. Saying he could be an asshole if you put your work. In oh he was an. ASSHOLE i broke like. You yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, yeah who could be if you put the work. In we In, dallas, THOUGH i break my. ANKLE i mean we're, yeah we planning the downska In New. YORK i break my ankle last game of the. Season BUT i ALWAYS i needed a. Scope this first TIME i ever been. Hurt had a half a million dollars. CENTER i needed twenty two yards MORE i. GOT i, know im going into the. GAME i needed forty. FOUR i got hurt in the first. QUARTER i hit a deep crosser on An apache route twenty two yards, clear get, caught snapped. Right i'm in the locker. Room i'm sitting on the. Thing. Fuck he comes. Over what's wrong with? Him he goes, Well, bill he broke his. Ankle he goes, good he can get surgery on. Both, Now i'm like this, motherfucker but just great though it, was he was, cool, though he was that's about.
Speaker 2: Guy, well so you guys go in.
Speaker 1: Halftime there's kind of some mixed, emotions clearly a blow up between the coaching. Staff he just gave up a big ass. Touchdown what are the vibes in the locker. Room we're just we're probably still feeling, confident, yeah but we just can't make. Mistakes that was a mistake to Let Jimmy smith up the rail right before the. Half that was a big mistake on our, Yeah jackie break down the second. Half second, half The jags just would not go.
Speaker 4: Away A Wayne crebet fumble of any interception in the end, zone big run, back eighty eight yard run back on a, kickoff like just would not go. Away this thing kept getting to like it would get seventeen, nothing then it was twenty four to, nothing then thirty one to.
Speaker 2: Fourteen then it's a one score.
Speaker 4: Game thirty one twenty four with two and a half, left When Donovan darius picked Off vinnie in the end zone LIKE i mentioned, earlier But Keith byers ran it out of the end, zone got stopped on the one one bad field, position Said jet stopped, him ended up tacking on a fe search thirty four to twenty.
Speaker 2: Four that takes us to the end.
Speaker 4: Where a last ditch Hail mary Try keishawn's interception in is this thing in the final score thirty four in the, Game.
Speaker 1: Well they ag wanted it BUT i stepped in front of. Him, right they're telling me the Bad i'm like my bad ship. Down if you can get, It i'm getting.
Speaker 2: It i'm kidding. It fuck.
Speaker 1: That and so the vibe was. Cool we. Celebrate you, know it was fun because most of the TIME i hang with the. DEFENSE i hang with the, defense and so you, know that was all my. Boys all the secondary was my. Guys we all hang, together and they KNEW i was Going, Ray, Ray mickens and all. Them they KNEW i was going things like, this, ego, this what fucker get a?
Speaker 2: Pin so you're in team meeting That.
Speaker 1: Monday, Yeah i'm that. Guy i'm, like, here tell the guy the. Best you make a play that you're not supposed, To, like that's not your because WHEN i threw a, TOUCHDOWN i came in and iceed up my arm and, it you, know do, something But belichick wanted me to knock it. Down yeah he knocking a ten point.
Speaker 2: Cushion come, on give me that fuck. Up you KNOW i was was. NOBODY i KNEW i was, fine almost gonna get my. Pick hell yeah you. Gotta and you guys go, out you finish out a.
Speaker 1: Game you get the First jets playoff win in twelve, years first playoff appearance in nine, Years your first game in the. Playoffs you fucking ball out one hundred and twenty, yards two, touchdowns one, rushing one, passing an, interception, recovery, tumble. Recovery.
Speaker 4: Insane what a game, game what a do it all. Day and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention at the time this was the larger. Shutdown oh, man it should have been.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 1: Uh we got to.
Speaker 2: Mention this would go down as the.
Speaker 4: Largest crowd in pro football history at that, point seventy eight and, seventeen.
Speaker 1: Bigger than the Old Recres stadium at this. Time at this, time that was always the biggest stadium WHEN i was a, Kid, remember REMEMBER i, thought, YEAH i thought The redskins the. STADIUM i don't, know maybe it was seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Thousand this seems shocking to. Me that's.
Speaker 1: Crazy it was so loud, Though oh my, god even the watching, back oh so. Loud you can like, vibration you, know just the fireman at the fans was just. Amazing so you go from people your rookie Year, edelmans you never experienced. This what a guy wearing a bag over his head with drips of, sadness with his eyes poked, out crying as a grown. Man you never had to experience. THAT i experienced that as a rookie When i'm walking through the tunnel after the loss of THE Ki you, suck you. Suck takes it off because we wasted a number pick on. You you. Suck you, know grown ass. Man sounds Like jets. Fans jet, fans sounds Like jet. Fan, yeah and then all of a sudden you go to this and you got fireman ned over. Here.
Speaker 2: Yeah oh that's something that you're for, now, man that that had to be so fucked you know.
Speaker 1: WHAT i helped The jets turn it around here. SOON i think it'd be good for the. League, YEAH i think they. WILL i think they'll be fine Under aaron klton a g's got he's a dude to do it.
Speaker 2: Too player for the team knows.
Speaker 1: It last time they've actually really won except when San chito was there and he beat us in which THE Afc championship.
Speaker 2: Twice. Key have you talked to him since he took over a couple of times a? Week oh heck, yeah that's.
Speaker 1: Sick so what's the legacy of this, Game keishan really my first real experience in the. PLAYOFFS i, mean that's really. It that's that's how you are supposed to approach the. Postseason you're supposed to approach it that. Way that's the WAY i look at. It hell, yeah that's WHY i picked, it because you, know college is like, Whatever i'm a man of most boys in.
Speaker 2: College you know What i'm.
Speaker 1: Saying That Rose bull game these, DUDES i, know But i'm a man of most boys In college's too. Easy, dude just left the fucking problem a week, ago trying to cover. Me, Right i'll be, like come, Right i'll be, like think about. It different than the. Pros you got grown men with full beards with car seats the. Back in, college you got to do. That just, left literally left the Promin.
Speaker 2: May he st JOHN.
Speaker 1: A no, Chance, yeah it's totally. Different no chance you have four or fifth year. Senior this dude's a seventeen year old. Dude eyeballs as biggest. Saucers they're just gaves aren't even developed.
Speaker 2: Yet oh.
Speaker 1: Still still trying to figure out how to get his first.
Speaker 4: Kiss and we got to mention also in the aftermath of this, uh in the years that followed the near history a pivotal moment In jets And patriots. History Bill parcells would step down As jets head coach in ninety. Nine Bill belichick would famously take over for a. Day we all know the napkin every time that went.
Speaker 2: DOWN i was. There how did go? Down what's the?
Speaker 1: Inside SO i, came Looksh i'm not taking this fucking. Job, no, no, no. No SO i came back in the. TOWN i had went out of town for like, something AND i came back AND i went To. VACILLY i was working out or whatever her and they like press conference, upstairs like what's going? ON i, SAID i THINK i Think bill's getting ready to. Retire fuck you. Mean SO i go up To parcells' office and he's. There he's, like, oh you, know some more bullshit or. Whatever i'm, like, Oh, so Now bears is taking me back down to the to the big. Room And i'm standing at the top of the auditorium or, whatever you, know theory your team. Room so he's. There i'm at the top on the, wall just standing there looking and here it Comes belichick on the other. Side he had like a sweatshirt on or some ship he got the little napkin and he's reading and the media is, there And i'm, like what the fuck just? Happened and So i'm talking To John, lott the strength coach at the, time and he, LIKE i, Think, bill you know this? Shit is he ready be the head? Coach i'm, Like, okay, Cool i'm fucking With belichick at this. Time So i'm, like oh, right, COOL i didn't.
Speaker 2: Know so now.
Speaker 1: The process is We belichick doesn't want the? Job, now fuck you mean just took the? Job, no he didn't take the. Job you didn't want the? Job damn what we gonna? Do so now at this, point it's all, crack chaotic and, crazy, Right it's, like, damn we ain't have no coach this?
Speaker 2: Week got that.
Speaker 1: Job i'm trying to Get i'm trying to get. Check i'm getting to do you know What i'm. Saying how they came off back to back. Probos i'd bit to Pro BOW mvp when The Pro bowl was, real not t shirts Like i'm you know What i'm, Saying i'm trying to get shattered. Up and at this, Point i'm, like, damn what we gonna? Do so conversations being had And, uh they just start, shit just went chaotic and, crazy like literally like people are, like, no it was. Crazy BUT i felt like he was in good hands With. Belichick yeah you know What i'm, saying Because belichick at the time when they traded, Me, belichick if he had stayed the head, coach he wasn't trading. Me he didn't understand. Why he was like the fucking Way i'm Trading but they wind up trading me because Al grow felt like he didn't need, me he could just win with. Defense and but the crazy thing about it Is parcels became the president of the, team so he had full autonomy and authority to do what they wanted. To so He parcels is actually the person who traded, me not Al, grow not the. Owner but he trades me To Tampa bay right away from the. Division he gets two number one picks the whole deal right because he originally pitched me to go To Green. Baby he KNEW i didn't want to go to Green he KNEW i wasn't going to Fucking Green. Bay he knew THAT i wasn't going to Fucking. Baltimore baltimore had the fourth pick And Green bay had somewhere in, there but, he, oh you can go play with. Fore i'm, like, man you, KNOW i ain't gonna Fucking Green. Bay i'm coming out Of New. York so he trades me To Tampa bay with the notion that he's getting ready to be The Tampa Bay buccaneers. Coach ain't that a? Bitch he thought he was gonna be the.
Speaker 2: Coach he was going to be the.
Speaker 1: Coach he turned it.
Speaker 2: Down he accepted it and then turned it. DOWN i didn't hear about.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah so here's how the story. Went here's how it. WENT i arrived In. Tampa they trade me for two. MONTHS i go To. TAMPA i do the trade deal, whatever get the, bank get the, bag the whole. Shit right, Now Tampa, bays we're struggling to. Win we're not. Winning we're not.
Speaker 2: Winning whit.
Speaker 1: Winning we get to the, playoffs we, lose get to the, playoffs we. Lose so now they get ready Fire. Dungee bill the whole time was eyeing The Tampa bay job when he. Retired good a place to, retire but he had already left him at The altar several years. Later before he took The New England patriot, job he had left the owners of The buccaneers at The altar. Already yeah it. Did he did the shit the second time after taking a. Job he hired the staff and every day it did, Decide, MAN i.
Speaker 2: Don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: ANYMORE i. Don't i'm Just but the staff was already in place In. Tampa so now you move to The John. Grutener that's how we wind up getting grouting is because we was left without a coach Because bill was supposed to take the job and didn't take the, job and they traded and then they had to find a. Coach they went and got. Grooped that's how we wound up With. Grooton but the staff was already in. Place the dudes that saying is a parcels staff Under. Gruden it was a parcels staff to a degree Under, grooton except the defense was All Tony dungee And mighty kiffing. Them the defense was it was gonna be. Kiffing it was gonna be The tampa too sou offensive Was Bill, merr officer line coach From. Jets Uh tannebom was gonna be the general, manager which was our guyet And jets receiver coach was Richer, man which was my receiver coach of The. Jets, right it was all like whatever didn't, go whatever didn't go To New england was In. Tampa and Then bill was, LIKE i ain't doing, it fucking. Parcels i'm not have to ask him about. That i'm gonna see him here. Soon, yeah you're both gonna get into The Patriot hall Of fame. Together. Yea and when he was, driving he was supposed to BE i don't remember What dale was if he was driving To florida AND i was anticipating him being in there Because Tan obama had already came and you, know looked at everything and scoped it all out and did the whole. Deal he calls me and he, Goes i'm not doing. It what the fuck you mean you're not doing. It i'm not gonna take. IT i think something happened to his brother's brother got sick or. Something he just was, LIKE i don't want to do it right. Now but then the next year he winds up going To. Dallas Ain't that's why did he trades for me From tampa To. Dallas he just loved. YOU i did everything he wanted me to. Do though you know how that, goes because you know you became the guy THAT i. Was parceles, Guy you're A parceles. Guy two eight baby to twenty. FIVE i need you The Rose bowl guy two a. Coach i'm, There, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 2: There i'm.
Speaker 5: Good let's start the teacher's pet park that car in the. Garage we'll be right back after this quick. Break let's score the game and name the. Game, uh let's name the.
Speaker 1: Game we Have Keishawn's Big, Day welcome to And, why the Jack jets over The, jags The Keyshawn Johnson, game The madness in The, meadowlands The Key shawn does It all? Game which one do you want to? Pick, Kishan i'll probably Go madness in The Medal, Lands madness at the Meadow lands at The. Meddlelands, yeah score the. Game is this the greatest game of all? Time let's Score keyshawn stakes zero to ten of This Divisional round game. Decimals, okay you got.
Speaker 2: The greatest of all?
Speaker 1: Time ten being the big the fucking most important thing, ever zero BEING i would, say at this, time the most important team ever because of the. Chants, Honestly Divisional, Round i'm gonna go eight, Winner Go, Home Winner Go home and one star power of this game people that are at the, stadium, players coach, shit what was the star power of this? Game zero to ten? Decimals, OKAY i would probably say a nine. Nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah some of the coaching, staffs a lot of future head. Coaches we even talked About Scott. FROST a lot of head coaches in This Scott. Frost i'm gonna go with The.
Speaker 1: Frosty we used to funk with him all the time because this is what he got in trouble With Lawrence phillips and. Stuff he used To teasey all the, time like you're scared of. Ship, Huh Lawrence, phips gonna kick your. Lass i'll give you eight point.
Speaker 2: Eight got a seven nine out of eight point.
Speaker 1: Four Game player of the. Game how the game, WENT i mean it was back and, forth a big, blows a lot of, turnovers exciting. FOOTBALL i would say a seven good. SCORE i like. That i'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Go i'm gonna go seven to five out of six eight at six point seven point one in the same.
Speaker 1: Area, yea and now or now we score the name of the, Game The madness at The Meadow lambs zero ten decimals a okays a ten ten madness is, crazy lamb. Loud they ain't never seen nothing like, This some of them people in them fans and the stands ain't seen the just win a playoff game in one hundred. Years, yeah that's probably.
Speaker 2: True i'm go, Eight i'm right.
Speaker 1: Mid where's this stack? Up?
Speaker 2: AHEAD a five point? ZERO i had a four point? Nine where does his stack?
Speaker 1: Up that's, fine stay. Calculating it's a seven point eight to seven point eight.
Speaker 2: Two so that puts us uh the new forty fifth, slot just behind the two thousand and one twenty ONE sec championship Game georgia Versus, alabama and just above the nineteen eighty Five week Thirteen bears Versus Dolphins monday night football Game bears versus the forty fifth. GAME i don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Game that was the game that was the only defeat The bears had in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Five, YEAH i just don't remember the.
Speaker 1: Game, well you, know The dolphins guy's always taking the. Ship game twenty twenty, ONE i remember that championship. Game that was a freaking crazy. Game nobody is. Boring people got tired of watching that. GAME i Know alabama And, Georgia, Alabama Georgia. Keyshaw we miss anything on this, GAME i don't think, so. Dude you gave us some great fabis aspic, insight. Perspective fucking had a.
Speaker 3: Blast everyone go check them out on speak ON fs one weekdays at five. Pm follow them on all the social Platforms instagram and acts at key sean uh and thank you bro for coming. On, yeah it's, good, Right All Facts No breaks podcast check it out Fire are you gonna let me know What i'm?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 1: No, yeah speaking of, That All Facts No, Breaks we're actually doing a this. Summer we're going to release The legends Of. La so What i've done Is i've gone around the city Of, la whether it was, athletes, entertainment whatever the case, is anywhere from N wa uh you, know To Paul, Pierce Baron, davis To Shawn jackson's people that's from Southern california that really took it to the next. Level i'm interviewing them in different sequences and we put it all together so we rolling out as like a seven part, series documentary.
Speaker 2: Style pretty it's a great. Idea what's what's it.
Speaker 1: Called it's gonna be all faction, breaks but it's all, facts no, breaks L a. Legends, okay, yeah, WOW i can't wait to see. That LIKE i interviewed like Ice, Cube hell, yeah we're looking to get him on the show real, soon just coming, soon Ice Cube. Cube we Got Barry davis on To. YEAD i went down over the. Compound you've been over.
Speaker 2: There we had The he's.
Speaker 1: EASY i grew up with ALL i grew up with all them, dudes like everybody from L. A, BASICALLY i grew up. With that's fucking great class to be out, MAN. La they show, out they show, out thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: On oh, yeah no problem. Man Key shank's pro that might have been. Sneaky one of my favorite episodes we've ever. Done, yeah just like knew the, assignment knew the. Thing picked a great fucking, game great, stories great. Era let it.
Speaker 3: Rip Key shan sees everything, too because after the, show came up to me and, says your dad's still mad at. ME i think my dad called into it a talk radio once About keishaw's opinion on something don't know for a, fact but really. Bad keyshaw's, like you're dead all. RIGHT i tried looking that. UP i couldn't find.
Speaker 1: ANYTHING i couldn't, either yea.
Speaker 3: Regardless like completely different. Person when you meet, him you understand him way more.
Speaker 2: Seriously he's one of those guys where you look at media and he's like in that like that's he's that's his w, character even when he's playing like The diva Wide. Receiver but then you just learn like how Much parcels respected him and they had the thing you know that he's a fucking.
Speaker 3: Grinder he's a, grinder a blocking he emphasized, that you, know the hustle play in the. Game it was A it was a fun and that was a fun interview to get to know key shonk because, yeah we all we, all we all know What kishon is ON.
Speaker 1: Tv but he ain't really liked, THAT i, guess but he, is but he's, not but you understand.
Speaker 2: Why, yeah, Completely and it was really cool from me And jack's perspective to see like you guys like long lost, cousins like having played in the same, offense same.
Speaker 3: Offense, yeah going in talking about The Charlie weiss system and how it evolved when you know McDaniel's got it To. Billy oh then you know when he, left like we were speaking the same. Languages it's, fun BUT i could we we we changed a lot of the. Language the OLDER i got. It you, know it's like the old like he was talking opec and, shit that was like WHEN i first got there in like Nine then we never used opec after like five years. Again, Yeah, well it's time for The Chill, zone brought to you by Cors. Light get Cors light delivered straight to your, Door Visit corslight dot, com slash gwn Celebrate.
Speaker 2: RESPONSIBLY i tried.
Speaker 1: To harmonize with you on. That so for this Week's Chill, zone trying out a new.
Speaker 2: SEGMENT a couple episodes, ago you talked in depth recently about what it's like to just in the, weeds nitty, gritty beat by beat details of what it's like traveling for AN nfl away. Game so a lot of people have been in the. Comments they really like. THAT a lot of positive freeedback about. That so we're trying to do a segment WHERE i just want you to go super deep into a SPECIFIC nfl inside our. Conversation so a lot of the comments have been suggesting you talked about Brock perty just signed that big. Deal just people want to know a little bit more information in depth about what contracts are like in THE nfl and what contract negotiations going so high, level give us what contract negotiations are like in.
Speaker 1: THE, nfl well. Contracts, well contract negotiations in THE, nfl and contract NEGOTIATIONS i had with The New England patriots are completely different AS i look at, It and they've also, changed which rightfully they. Should you, know it's been way more player. Friendly i've never LIKE i can remember WHEN i got hurt in twenty, twelve The patriots offered me a contract before the season to sign. THAT i thought, like that's not IF i AND i won the starting job going into that. Year they so they were trying to lock me in for like some league minimum deal with like a week signing, bonus WHICH i was, Like i'm GOING i would rather go to free. Agency so we played out the year AND i broke my foot and THEN i BROKE i broke my hand and missed a couple of. GAMES i bawled. OUT i had a THREE i had three games WHERE i was, bawling and THEN i broke my foot and so it got to a sudden. Holt SO i WENT i remember going back after that AND i was sitting there, THINKING i was, like, man, oh at Least i'm going to get that shitty little contract they offered, me you.
Speaker 2: Know which it'll still be a pay, raise you.
Speaker 3: Know you, KNOW i remember going back to the negotiations and they, said that's how we felt, then this is how we feel. Now and it was a completely different number with a lot less money BECAUSE i was, hurt WHICH i understood that now now nowadays guys tear their a cls and they're getting paid the biggest contract in the history of the, game which that was never like, that at least WHERE i was. At you, know they they always they would always say WE'RE i remember just, vividly you, know when you're negotiating with, them they're, saying we're not paying you for what you've, Done we're paying you for what we project you to, do you. Know and that's where the differences are in different. ORGANIZATIONS i wish it was. DIFFERENT i WISH i got it other way like other, guys but with the Brock purty.
Speaker 2: Contract when renegotiations, starts like if you start performing outside of your, content like what they're paying you, for the paying you to, project and you start performing outside of. That what does that look like from negotiation? Standpoint renegotiation, Standpoint.
Speaker 3: Well it, usually, uh you, know every TIME i signed a, CONTRACT i like balled out the First LIKE i feel LIKE i outplayed that contract that, year But i'd have like three, years like we never went back to the table until the last year of your. Deal now it's changed a little bit because of you, know guys want to lock guys in before the market gets too, high, this that the, other and and they and guys try to you, know teams and guys want, security and so sometimes you see guys getting renegotiated with two three, years a rip up a contract like that wasn't really we.
Speaker 1: WEREN'T i wasn't a guy that ever dealt with.
Speaker 3: That With Brock purdy being a seventh round draft, pick you, know that's something also THAT i think is a key figure in this. DEAL i always felt IF i was a third or a second round draft pick AND i had the same production after my first or my second, contract THAT i would have got more.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 3: UH i, think you, know brought kind of surpassed. That, yeah he took a little. Less what is it fifty?
Speaker 2: Three what is?
Speaker 1: It what's is guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Guaranteed that's SOMETHING i wanted to ask you about, too is let's see the difference between guaranteed and. Total let's see.
Speaker 1: Value so we'll see is guaranteed money one hundred and eighty it's six, years five years including your two sixty five contract. Extension how many years the deal?
Speaker 2: Still this? One so he has one year so this will go through twenty twenty or twenty, thirty and he's got one hundred and eighty one million in guaranteed with a full note trade clause has been, Reported so.
Speaker 1: One hundred and eighty one million over this six. Years so what's one hundred and eighty divided into? Four it's forty five point twenty. Five so that's what that. Is he's really of real. Money that's How that's HOW i used to look at. It it's one hundred and eighty one divided by either you know. Whatever that number is a couple of years shorter than the contract because that's kind of like they're, out which that's pretty cheap if you think about. It you, know NOW i have opportunity to earn more. Money so what is that that's? Like that could be that could be built in, escalators meaning like he has to.
Speaker 3: LIKE i had a built in escalator in my contract WHERE i would make like a million bucks more or five hundred grand more IF i had My at that, time my high was one hundred and five. Catches so IF i got to like ninety catches a thousand yards and either six, touchdowns LIKE i had to get three of that and then or we went to the Super bowl SO i could have three of, THOSE i would get that. Money there's, incentives so like. That that's also like incentives and escalators are kind of in the same. BOAT i don't know the actual. Differences i'm not a cap, guy but same thing like if you, have like For Brock, purdy if you if you play a certain amount of if you play a certain amount of percentage of the, year you'll get an extra two five million. Dollars but a lot of this what people don't realize these roster bonuses that are In they used to give us roster, bonus so what is? That so the roster bonus is actually in the guaranteed. Money so they'll, say here's your roster. Bonus of for, ME i think it was like a million five or. SOMETHING i don't.
Speaker 1: Know my.
Speaker 3: Numbers you guys will probably be able to look that. Up BUT i had a roster bonus that goes into your guaranteed, money but it ain't. Guaranteed you have to be on the active day roster to get that. Money so whatever that, Was so say it's a million, bucks divide that by. Seventeen how many is?
Speaker 1: That let's just say it's one point, seven one point seven or one hundred. K you get one HUNDRED k a. Game but SAY i got hurt AND i didn't play in three, GAMES i WOULDN'T i wouldn't collect those those.
Speaker 2: Three checks that comes out of.
Speaker 3: Guaranteed now that comes out of your guaranteed. Money so you got to look into like what his guaranteed money. Is there's a lot of ways of you, know also the guaranteed money could be like you have to be uh workout bonuses and what's the workout workout? Bonuses you have to be a eighty percent of the off season program in order to collect that. Money it kind of incentivizes his guys to stay around the. Team so that's the non mandatory workout non mandatory you have to hit eighty.
Speaker 2: Percent, okay, Cool? Okay, Interesting so it is kind of mandatory if you want to hit a certain amount of threshold for your, money.
Speaker 1: If you want to make your.
Speaker 3: Money, okay there's also like and then also like for for linemen or, big big, defensivelignement like that their weight could be you, know negotiated in as a incentive if this or you, know if he breaks over. This, uh you, know they could technically take that money. Away so there's a bunch of stuff in that guaranteed, money which isn't always. Guaranteed so Brock, Perdy i'm sure it went down where he outplayed his contract as a seventh, rounder you, know the first few. Years so it was a tough situation to be in because he still had a bunch of years on his deal and you still wanted to see if it would be, able you, know to continue doing.
Speaker 1: It, yeah.
Speaker 3: But, uh you, know he he got. PAID i, mean he didn't get the. Sixty he got a five. There that's what everyone. Thinks but, really if you think about, it it's like four year forty.
Speaker 1: Five why only four versus five because you could divide, it it's more of like what is? That what is one hundred and eighty one divided by? Five it's thirty six point. TWO i don't know. Why i'd always just take off those two. Years and that's usually kind of HOW i thought about.
Speaker 2: It because the last year is some kind of. Bullshit dear either going to get, restructure structure going into the, cut depending on your.
Speaker 1: Situation, yeah Depending AND i don't know all his his incentives for that extra or what is it two sixty the total? Contract, yeah two sixty, Five so two sixty, Five so what's what's what's the difference between eighty four million eighty four?
Speaker 2: Million, yeah so that's all the.
Speaker 1: Incentives roster bonus is what have you that could be an incentives that could be roster. BONUS i haven't looked at the detail of the. CONTRACT i don't think they're fully out yet.
Speaker 3: Either that could be anything from, like, hey they could, negotiate then they if he GETS, mvp he could get a five million dollars.
Speaker 1: On Pro, BOWLS mvpl. Pros get, Atistical, yeah anything, statistical and those stats can go. Crazy it could be playing, time it could be completion, percentage it could be. TOUCHDOWNS i, mean whatever you want to negotiate or they want to. Negotiate it's just a way for you to try to collect more of that.
Speaker 2: Money have you ever heard any like weird incentives something like stuck out, like, oh that was unusual or very specific to a certain.
Speaker 1: Player you, know the weight ones are always kind of weird to. Me but it's you, know these big boys during the.
Speaker 2: Season, now would there be players that maybe are AND i know that you're not like A gm and you're not in the, cap but just from what you've seen and heard or, experienced players that maybe would have been injury prone or perceived to be injury prone having higher like roster, Bonuses.
Speaker 1: Well that's what The patriots used to do a. Lot. Yeah and then also what they can do is they could put a split in your. Contract what is?
Speaker 2: That, uh it's.
Speaker 1: Usual it was always in all The patriots rookie deals where it was like non negotiable split is if you if you get, hurt you only make half your.
Speaker 2: Salary oh, wow, okay so separate from even roster, bonus separt from. Everything if you're like if you take YOUR acl in the first snap of, Preseason, no.
Speaker 3: Not your guarantee, money but like all your other money, Out, yeah you only get half is split.
Speaker 1: It that's and that's just non negotiable inside of every Single, well it's negotiable in the, contract but it was not negotiable for.
Speaker 3: Us.
Speaker 2: Gotcha and something THAT i think has a lot of people ask a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: About but how does signing bonus?
Speaker 3: Work so signing bonus whatever it could be divided so that say brought got of what it was, designing but maybe fifty million, dollars say.
Speaker 2: One hundred and seventy six million injur, guarantee.
Speaker 1: One hundred and seventy over his first four he.
Speaker 2: Proceid sixty two percent of this money in the first three.
Speaker 1: Years so look at you see HOW i said four.
Speaker 3: Years, yeah so one hundred and seventy over first four that means there's only an additional what nine ten million dollars for that next so you could you would cut you know WHAT i?
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah and part of that's playing games for THE cap.
Speaker 1: Two Probably i'm not A cap. Guy, yeah but, yeah usually they they divide the signing bonus By that's why they'll make big signing bonuses because they'll they can pro rate that and divide that over the length of year contract towards the. Cap, okay signing bonuses go against cap. Two, yeah it's it's. Less it's like. Less that's how they can make the money. Down that's why they'll they'll renegotiate and give guys a bunch of money in the signing bonus because then you can pro rate it throughout the duration of the. Contract, okay and then well let's go back to the way we were talking about signing. Bonus, yeah signing, bonus it's not like depending on. Team, okay say It's Rock parties fifty million dollars a sign they could divide that over three for the, owner you, know says so on signing day they'll give them twenty, million and then In october they can give them ten, million and then the next following year they can give them another Ten now you do that for tax, REASONINGS i don't.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah but they the owner can do that because sometimes they just don't want to give you all that money right.
Speaker 2: Away it's a lot of. Money it's a lot of money with and then so, functionally you sign a, contract you get your pro rated signing. Bonus maybe it's half or a third or. Whatever is that just a check or is that like going into your like Paces and how does that actually, do.
Speaker 1: So a lot of guys have direct. Deposit we didn't actually have that choice until like the third or fourth year of my, year really my second. Year we just gonna check you out the. Cash you get a check that you'd have to, cash and if which is you, know if guys in cash a, check that means owners kept that money in that pot and they can earn interest on that.
Speaker 3: Bitch, Yeah so that's why you go to direct. Deposits you get that money right.
Speaker 1: Away so you're like rolling up your rookie, year rolling up with a. Check crazy thing is out of that twenty million that he's gonna, get you're gonna get that check and it's only going to be about twelve eleven taxes and. Taxes and then you got to pay the agent whatever his agent fee. Is usually three can be negotiated, down but it's usually three, percent so you, know it's a it's a.
Speaker 2: Lot so that's how you get the signing. Bonus all this other, stuff roster bone is that's all.
Speaker 1: Divides so then there could be other. Stuff you have a roster.
Speaker 3: Bonus that's another way of them to giving you a, million you, know during the, season or guaranteed two million five, million ten whatever that is they can give you through the. Season then they can give you the workout, bonus which is also guaranteed money in the guaranteed money, thing but that also you, know incentivizes you to be around the, facility going to be at the off.
Speaker 2: Season, uh you know all that.
Speaker 1: Stuff so then what's in the game check game check is the additional salary that you have to be divided into set eighteen weeks and you get paid every first fifteenth and you don't get any additional money for, playoffs, right you do.
Speaker 3: Get additional, money but it's it's it's technically of technically we're getting blown.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah as, players because we're playing for.
Speaker 3: Less everyone gets, say now you get an Additional so like WHEN i was playing you for the first, round you would get an additional like twenty, grand twenty five grand to the, winner twenty grand to the, loser and the next round you can get like an additional thirty. Grand but then like we would get the first round BY i have to do all the same amount of work and not get paid.
Speaker 1: Because the buye you don't get. Paid you don't get.
Speaker 3: Paid during the buy you only get paid during the game and it was really twenty. Grand and at that TIME i was making like a hundred grand a game through my. Contract so you're putting the same amount of work for way less. Money and the league is benefiting crazy through the playoffs with the ratings and. Everything so how much like totally at the total you make if you won The Super bowl be like one hundred and eighty, Grand.
Speaker 1: And that's if you don't have any of the, escalators any of The. Batman but that's just all new money coming from the.
Speaker 2: League the fifty third man on the roster makes that money if you go to the Super, bowl the fifty third and MAYBE i think even the practice, squad everyone and the everyone in the organization DOES i think so making a suit it's a big thing for it's.
Speaker 3: A big thing for like the trainers and the. Coaches it's. Huge it's. Great but like on on on the scale of like the.
Speaker 1: Top dogs are taking huge pay cuts to.
Speaker 3: Play Tom brady usually gets two million dollars a fucking. Game yeah he's, working you, know wherever it, is you know WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Mean he's getting. Paid he get fifty million dollars a.
Speaker 3: Year now he's gonna go play for twenty grand, thirty it's probably like fifty grand.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah but they're getting paid the same as the long snappers the, course the.
Speaker 3: Same as a long, snapper which it's additional. Money you never want to be you want to be. Thankful but you know the work you put. In if we're talking workplace, HERE i mean the stress levels are even, higher, right the work. Is you're putting in way more work during the playoffs because you're just that more much that much more uh invested like, time everything, tightened motion.
Speaker 2: And the cost for commerce go way up to a lot more money being, generated a.
Speaker 1: Lot of money.
Speaker 3: Generated but you, know congratulations to Brock. Man that's cool seeing a seventh round guy get a big, payday regardless of what you think he deserves or. Doesn't as a former, player you always like seeing guys get, paid especially a guy that went his, route which you, KNOW i was a seventh round. Guy he's a seventh round. Guy now he's making fifty four million dollars.
Speaker 2: Year not, bad.
Speaker 1: Not even a one, star not a zero star first pick. Overall you, Know.
Speaker 3: I'm a story, guy like the story now is a team gonna be? Good don't, know don't. Know but if you think about. It for The, niners they'll have to eat a bunch of this for these next couple of, years which they're they're kind of rebuilding right. Now and if you look At brock's contract in two, years it's gonna be. Cheap it's kind of like The Daniel jones, Shit like everyone's, Like daniel's making a thirty million, Dollars, well what the?
Speaker 2: Well all?
Speaker 1: Right in two, years the next guy was making FIFTY.
Speaker 2: Yea the lessons. Learned if there's ever guy who needs to get paid real, money pay him as soon as you, can because it now instantly becomes.
Speaker 1: Value you, know he did take he didn't take the top, dog you know WHAT i? Mean, Yeah and you think About brock, party if you put yourself in his, position you're sitting there, saying, like, Well Dak, prescott he's got one one playoff, win maybe. TWO i Think i'm taking a team to AN afc. Championship we've gone to a Super. Bowl we have playoff, wins you, Know and that's what you really judge on the. Quarterback how mean wins he? Got so you could see what he his side was arguing to get that, money and uh, two you got.
Speaker 3: Too you, know you could say the same thing for all the other big dog. Quarterbacks you, KNOW i think he's got more playoff wins In.
Speaker 2: Burrow burrow did go to A Super, bowl so Did. Brock yeah, right you're.
Speaker 1: Right you Know brock went to The Super, bowl right and He brock also went to A nfcam OR Nfc championship where he hurt his. Arm, Remember, yeah you, know so like, Bros brocks got Some So merritt when you when you're talking about winning games, now regardless of what you want to, say how the team's going to Be.
Speaker 2: Now do you think If purdy was a first round pick.
Speaker 1: Or you, know completely, different he gets that If party was a first round, pick he probably would have got sixty eight million.
Speaker 2: Dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's one of those contracts that sets the sets the new standard for.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks. Yeah. Yeah one last thing on, this BECAUSE i thought this was Great one time years. AGO i was at your house back In foxborough and you were like going through some like junk man and you just opened up like a check for like a couple hundred thousand dollars or. SOMETHING i think it was From. Jerseys what are some of the other ways that you get paid that.
Speaker 1: Aren't Like dorsett, feels.
Speaker 3: There's player of, performance which is huge for guys that get like brought like set late round, guys undrafted, guys which they've changed it in this NEW cba collecting bargain. Agreement but WHEN i was, there if you were a seventh round, guy you and you were getting more playing like there was like a formula on playing time and plays per game that you would make a lot more money than if you were a first round. Guy in this pool of money.
Speaker 2: There's like coming from THE.
Speaker 1: Nfl, yeah coming from THE. NFL i forgot where it comes.
Speaker 3: From we got to probably hit Up Matthew slater on that because he's the former rep for THE, pa but, uh, yeah you get. Up there was a pool of money that they would have and it would it was a way to give guys, that you, know seventh round guy that was playing eighty percent of the snaps he could. TAKE i remember Like Devon bess when he was a, receiver he was making like two three million dollars off that player performance because he was undrafted and and he was bawling Out and it's.
Speaker 1: Upwards of a few million if you play a.
Speaker 3: Lot, yeah and, Yeah LIKE i don't know what it is, now but that's those were back WHEN i was. PLAYING i think it changed a.
Speaker 1: Little that was like a fund of something where they were pulling money in and they would distribute to the. Players there's also other ways of earning money.
Speaker 2: Jersey.
Speaker 3: Sales like so when you sign up for THE, pa you're basically signing and giving away your your your name and likeness for the brand of.
Speaker 1: Players so with that you get a. Check everyone gets a check for like ten grand for being In madden or whatever it was at that, time or five, grand and then anything that sold with your name on you get a percentage. Of so like that was after you, KNOW i had a huge jersey sale. Year they always give you like whatever it is the cents on the dollar that you get for. That it could be like a half a, cent but you, know you collect money, mugs whatever they, have pay your name, jerseys this, jersey any thing with your name that has, sold you do get to cut a baby sliver of. That and that's all through THE. Nflpa AND i still get. Checks, Really i'll get like eight cent checks because like so there was like a hundred something of mine or like something Sold i'll get like an eight cent chot from THE.
Speaker 2: Pa that's.
Speaker 1: Awesome it's like the actors getting residual. Checks that's. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Cool is there any any other things we missed from just like things the average fan wouldn't know where money is coming in from from a contract. PERSPECTIVE i mean.
Speaker 1: There's probably, More but why don't you guys ask us more questions detailed questions in the comments section and we can we can get into it. More hell, Yeah i'm not like just fucking brainy acts, smart BUT i just oh, yeah back in that, DAY i remember day is that, like you know who we should? Have we should Have we should bring In Matthew slater and do like a rules and regulation podcast for THE. NFL i love. That let's let's do rules Because bill used to sit us down like every year in training camp the first night of training get.
Speaker 2: But you go over all the. Rules nothing that you can light on fire in team.
Speaker 3: Hotels if anything lights on fire in the team hotel could be conduct. Detrimental it's basically explaining all the rules that could take away your. Money if you're fat and, overweight you, get you, get you.
Speaker 1: Get you, know you'd be like it's six hundred pounds per, day pound per day.
Speaker 3: Whatever it's probably like one thousand bucks. Now used to be WHEN i first got, it like four or three hundred and. Eighty then it got up to like six, hundred you. KNOW i the more money you, make the more they can. Take they could take your money through fines on you, know you, know uniform. INFRINGEMENT i used to get fined all the. Time if my my knee pads were higher and my skin was showing and my socks didn't go, up you would get fined for, that or certain pads you could get if you didn't have your thigh. PADS a certain WHEN i first, played you didn't have to have thighre knee, pads and they put that in where you get fined if you didn't have. THAT i didn't wear them for like my first two. Years you can get fined for the length of your Twel you can get fined for you, know other like NON nfl issued a tire on the.
Speaker 1: Sideline technically you can get. Fined you.
Speaker 3: Know so if you're like promoting like your own brand that's not associated with THE, nfl you could get fined.
Speaker 2: Like certain. Celebrations, fine, well we should save that for another one of these. Segments find me a fine one of these segments would be. GREAT i think it's a great segue, too to be, like, hey, fans audience, comment what detailed types of explanation of INSIDE nfl information would you'd? Like because this is a fun. SEGMENT i.
Speaker 3: Think so WHEN i WHEN i WHEN i scored that touchdown to break the record for The patriots over total punt, RETURNS i threw the ball into the, CROWD i hucked it up in, there AND i got fined like hell of money because you're not allowed to throw the ball in the crowd because it could create a. Riot but if you hand the, ball it's, okay you can't but you can't hand the. Ball but you can't throw the.
Speaker 1: Ball but will they charge you for the cost of the duke if you hand them the? Ball? No oh yeah you Have, yeah you have to pay for the duke anytime you take the. DUKE i think that's that's con that's payroll a. Duct so like everything is payroll a duckt nothing is. Free by the, way did you have to pay for the those? Tickets payroll a? Duct if you broke something in the in the, gut if you broke the weight, room payroll a, duct if you broke some payroll the, duck they take that money as much as they give.
Speaker 2: It did you give him the jerseys the way you get paid for?
Speaker 3: That did you pay for the anytime you give jersey? Swap you're paying like four hundred, dollars three hundred fifty dollars for?
Speaker 2: That what about like a sentimental, ball like a touchdown that you keep they give me THAT i don't.
Speaker 1: PAY i don't, know but it wouldn't surprise me if it's payroll a. Duct, no is that just your organization or is THAT i don't. Know, YEAH i don't have to ask that when we have some other. People, yeah BUT i threw it up in the. CROWD i remember you used to have to go to these hearings and marsh And Merton hanks was always a fucking fine hearing AND i used to try to butter them up every single time came and talked to me in high. School loved his little neck thing he used to, do, right you, know he's a Fucking San francisco forty nine.
Speaker 3: Er i'd always butter him up every. Time he would never fucking reduce my. MONEY i think he reduced it.
Speaker 1: Once my, agent we got that one reduced because it was like military service day and my agent, dudes he's, like you, Know joy was really thrown it to A navy guy that he saw and it's like literally like two hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Up, well they saw your college, tape so they knew it wasn't going.
Speaker 1: There but we did get that, reduced so thank.
Speaker 2: You oh, yeah all, right well that was that was a great. Semon we'll do that. More that was.
Speaker 3: Awesome that was, fun and that's the Chill. Zone thanks to our favorite, Beer. Coreslight get Cors light delivered straight to your. Door Visit coorslight dot, com slash gwn and celebrate. Responsibly what a, Game what a, Segment thanks again To Key. Sean that's another episode Of games With.
Speaker 1: Names subscribe On Apple, Podcasts, spotify or wherever you listen to. Podcasts comment a game you want us to, do and, remember rate a. Review leave us a five star review On.
Speaker 3: Spotify while you're, there remember the Follow games With names on, YouTube, instagram x TikTok and snap.
Speaker 1: TikTok still, There, yeah we're. Good someone buying? It who knows who, knows leave a comment on the YouTube full. Episode we'll read the best comments in the future. Episodes leave a message on the old.
Speaker 3: Hotline that number is four two four two nine two two nine, zero and we'll see you guys next.
Speaker 1: Week games And names and production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts From, iHeartRadio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your.
Speaker 2: Podcasts