Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: We were on with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, January thirty, first, twenty twenty four, Season nineteen, Episode number one ten. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live mass WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star and we got a lot of things we're going to get into today. We got to talk about some comments from Jerry Jones, he is at the Senior Bowl, had some interesting things to say about the team, about Mike McCarthy, about Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: We'll get into all that.
Speaker 6: We'll talk a little bit about some some other coaches, some guys that are going to Philadelphia, UH, their offensive and defensive coordinators and maybe what we think about that and how that could affect.
Speaker 2: The NFC East UH. And then, as I promised last.
Speaker 6: Week, we'll hopefully get into some conversation on Dak Prescott and start kind of dissecting this thing a little bit. Patrick, you wrote an interesting article there about the quarterbacks, so we'll get into some of that talk. If we don't get to all of that, then we certainly have next week. We always have next week, and we can bring that stuff back up next week.
Speaker 1: I'll be at the super Bowl, so you guys have that next week. Yeah, it's radio row next week.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, Yeah, you didn't find it. You didn't find a flight for the boy nice to come along. You could have just nice smuggled me in.
Speaker 4: Now I'll tell you what. Then the radio road could be fun, yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Could also be just just aggravating. Yeah, you know, it could be very You know, there's people that you could talk to, and then there's other people that you kind of get.
Speaker 4: They get thrown on.
Speaker 1: You and now you're like who, And now you're trying to figure out how to make good radio out of this.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that's actually the fun of radio road though from a listener standpointcause you never know who's going to pop up, and you never know how the hosts are going to react to because you can.
Speaker 2: Tell when the hosts don't really know the person.
Speaker 1: The questions are very strange. The one interview we did last year that was like it was crazy, was we interviewed Christian McCaffrey's mom, and that's after the whole thing that we went down, our show went down talking about him and you know, and how you kind of take care of him, and she called us some choice words for what we did. And it started off like we were trying to be apologetic and nice and all that, and then she started turning to kind of mean and ugly and we went we started being mean and ugly back to her. It was interesting, right, It was interesting. So sometimes you get those kind and another times shent no, no doubt. But I don't blame her.
Speaker 2: I don't need it. I don't blame her.
Speaker 1: I don't blame her for being for being his defensive of her son as she was. But she she came after Gavin Dawson and I and we were like, yes ma'am, Yes, ma'am, and then it turned into listen here, you b word.
Speaker 4: So that's the beauty of Radio Row.
Speaker 1: You Sometimes you have these marvelous interviews and the other times you get attacked and then uh, but yeah, to be a part of that, especially with Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, you guys have fun when you hadding out Monday.
Speaker 4: Uh we leave Monday after our show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well you have a good time. Yeah, bring back some stories. I'm sure you'll have a few and throw at us a few, especially from Vegas.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, yeah, See what's what's appropriate for the air and what's that.
Speaker 1: We'll seeing with this that it's not til it's not good.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump in though.
Speaker 6: Jerry Jones yesterday at the Senior Bowl had an opportunity to meet up with some of the media. Our own Nick Harris was there as well.
Speaker 4: Did a great job covering that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good stuff.
Speaker 6: Got some good, good questions and I thought some very interesting answers. I want to start with the answer that I thought was most interesting to me, which I think he can go a lot of different ways. And that's the way that I'll take it from the standpoint of getting your feedback. But let's start first, Chris, you have a cut number three ready for us. I'd like to talk about this and this is the one where uh.
Speaker 4: We're trying to win awards.
Speaker 2: We can't do anything, man, we can do nothing around.
Speaker 4: Here, Come on abarts once a week show what do you want to start?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: This one was particular to talking about their approach for twenty twenty four, and he used those two words that I don't think we've heard around here a lot.
Speaker 4: All in.
Speaker 2: Uh let's hear that clip and we're all you did? I knew I should have.
Speaker 6: Just could be down and just like read it myself like I normally do.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go here, were.
Speaker 3: Getting ahead at our key contracts that we'd like to address. We'll be all in. I would anticipate we'll be all in. That's the end of this year. So when you say, is there any thought I think we'll strainer, we'll push the hell out of it. Is that doing something different than you in the past in that respect, Well, it will be, uh yeah, and it will be going all in on different people than you've done in the past.
Speaker 2: We'll be going all in.
Speaker 3: We've seen some things out of some of the players that we want to be all in on. And yes, I would say that you will see us this coming year not building for the future. It's the best way I don't say it. And that ought to answer a lot of questions.
Speaker 6: So I think the interesting part to me there was him mentioning all in and then Clarence asking the follow up question, is this different from the past, because that's all in com mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I'll say this for the purpose of our conversation. I don't think any of us is necessarily going to say, Okay, yeah, we know this is going to be all in whatever that means. I think everybody, including the fans out there listening, are like, let me see it before I make a judgment. But here's what I would like to know for each of you, what would be all into you? Because I do think that's a different opinion for all of us of what all in looks like with this team, with this current roster, of what you have and the coaches that you have. What does all in look like as you enter training camp of next year.
Speaker 2: Let's start first of you, Pat.
Speaker 7: Well, first, it's going to have to start with free agency. Obviously, this is a team that last year's draft notwithstanding, and will with the next couple of years play out before we really grate the draft. But it's not looking and promising. But they normally draft very well, free agency has been their achilles heel for a very long time, and that's because they've often been kind of tight on the purse strings as far as not playing in the first week of free agency, often not in the second week. They'll go to like the third week and see what kind of you know, deals they can get. So for me, it starts there. If you want to prove that you're all in, make a splash in the first week of free agency. That's gonna be paramount to having the fans buy into that particular line of thinking, because if this is another off season where you know, you say you're all in, and to be fair, this is not something I've heard Jerry say in quite a while. And I mean I'm talking since like the nineties. I mean, he's always been kind of walking the line. But if he's saying he's all in and they're not building for the future, I don't know how much I believe that second part, because Will is still in the building. Will McLay is, But it starts with first week in free agency, when those whales start to hit the free agency market. If the Cowboys are still sitting on their hands come the second wave going into the third wave, I can't believe what you told me because I'm not seeing the evidence.
Speaker 8: Then yeah, uh, maya, I'm crazy. But I feel like I have heard him say they're all in before, But what I have not heard him say is not building for the future and worrying about the now right now. And to me, I agree with everything that Patrick said as far as free agency and making a splash there for sure, not just in like having to sign some of your own players because you do have very talented guys are about to become free agents, but also who is out there, Let's make a splash that way, which is very uncommon for the Cowboys to do. But also I would say quit trying to experiment with things like if you're gonna find a linebacker, find a true linebacker, find someone that's true to their position. Don't try to experiment with maybe Okay, this guy plays tackle, but he could be a guard, or find the tackle, find the guard, find the linebacker, keep your safety where he needs to be. So I would say, to me, maybe that's how I'm interpreting what all in would be is like, let's spend some money the right way and let's not try to get too cute with hybrid positions and let's find true players at their position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you guys are onto something. I'm gonna take a different way. I think he's pushing the chips in the middle of the table and gambling on Dak. And he's gambling on Mike McCarthy because if if, in fact that you know, say that he lets this thing ride with Dak, he's and Dak has and I don't know if Dak can play any better than he played this year. I don't know if we might have seen Dak Prescott's ceiling here. We really might have. But the thing that I think with Jerry and if the approach I would look at it, is he's basically saying, Okay, Mike, I'm gambling on you and Dak. I'm gambling on you and and if if it if you guys deliver, then I'm going to lose this bet. If you guys, uh, you know, do we I mean, if they gamble and you do well, then the team's going to do well. Likely then I'm gonna have to pay the bet, is what I'm gonna doing. So I think that's where in my interpretation I like that the free agency part makes the most sense. You know, this is a team that really is big on signing their own that that is very important to them. They draft very well, they deserve to sign their own because they draft as well as they do. But if you want to take a different approach, he can say, I'm betting, I'm betting. I'm betting on Mike and I'm betting on Dak, and I'm gonna let this ride. And if it doesn't work and they they they bust, then we're gonna have to start over. Then I'm gonna I'm gonna bust. I'm gonna bust here. But you know, and and let's let's see. You know, if with the thing with Dak, he's gonna have to pay Dak anyway. If he lets it ride and Dak has a great year and get you get to where you want to go, you're gonna have to pay him anyway, you know right now, you know, maybe you just say, Okay, we'll see, we'll see. Well, you know, we haven't had the playoff success, but I'm gonna I'm gonna gamble here. You know, I'm gonna make you guys gamble too. And I don't know, I don't know if Dak would leave. I don't know. Dak has a you know, he's about to have a new family here, he's got a new home, he's got home.
Speaker 4: You know, he's built a lot of things here.
Speaker 1: It'd be hard for him to pick up and go to Nashville, Tennessee, or New Orleans, Louisiana or someplace like that. So Jerry might be gambling like, Okay, you know you won't go anywhere, you know, if if.
Speaker 2: It's bit of a gamble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I think that's the uh, that's the approach. I would look at that. He's maybe maybe they're gonna maybe they're they're gonna tie Mike and Dack together here, and he's gambling that they're going to deliver, and if they don't deliver, then they bust.
Speaker 4: Then they have to move on.
Speaker 7: And I'll add one more variation of interpretation here. It's the second part of his statement, Like Ambar said, that really just jumps out at me the whole and not build for the future. What then comes to my mind is I realize you've already traded a couple fifth rounders. That's how you got Cooks and Gilmour in here. But to make that the latter part of that statement true, and to add evidence to the former part of the statement, are we talking blockbuster trade here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: That would show that you're you're so all in that you're willing to mortgage some draft picks some of your future, be it this year, next year, whatever the case may be. And obviously we can't say any names, but there are some names that come to mind that are around the league that are basically trade bait right now. So if the Cowboys be it free agency, they go get one of these big whales in first wave that come free and or they say, you know what, We're going to sacrifice the future to get a major whale in right now. That's how you make that statement true that Jerry Jones said, right.
Speaker 6: And I think whether he was trying to or not, I think that's what was left with fans. I think fans probably look at that and they're like, Okay, I want to see it first where I believe it. But as a part of that, what the expectation he set was we're gonna be players, right, And I think that's what most fans are looking at when they hear all in.
Speaker 2: They're like, because what do we.
Speaker 6: Hear every year we see where there's this guy available, really good player, and inevitably the Philadelphia Eagles are right there in the next right, and fans are like, man, it seems like they're just and again I'm speaking from the fans point of view.
Speaker 2: Fans are just like man.
Speaker 6: They just always seem like they're willing to push the chips in and say whether it works or doesn't.
Speaker 2: Because this year you could say it didn't work. They did it this year and it didn't work.
Speaker 6: But for whatever reason that they get the credit for, they always are all in. And that's what I think the expectation is from fans now that Jerry said this is okay, show us you're all in when it comes time for free agent, when there's that really good player that's out there that, by the way, could help your running game, could help your defensive rush game, can help you up the middle linebackers. When all those kind of players are available, Let's see you be player and then you show us that you're all in. And I think that's the expectation he created. Whether he was trying to do that or not, I think that's the expectation he created.
Speaker 7: And now the Rams have shown that you can be all in and then after that bubble bursts, you can still be contenders as long as you're as long as your personnel that you're putting together are the right type of personnel. Because this is supposed to be when the bubble has burst for the Los Angeles Rams. But here we are twenty twenty three and they were right there playoff team that could have made some waves. So with that being on the table as well, it makes it that much more unforgivable to not go all in because now we know we've seen McVeigh and that crew over there in Los Angeles and be able to say, hey, we went all in and we got a Super Bowl and we worried about the later later, and when the later came.
Speaker 2: Guess what, we were still competitive.
Speaker 4: You're never out of it as long as Will McLay can draft, right.
Speaker 2: Because that's how that's how the Rams did it. Think about it. This year. They researched because that.
Speaker 6: In Karen Wood, those two guys mat the defensive players too.
Speaker 1: They had they had on four players that were on the All Rookie team, you know, and those were all those weren't high picks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those were all in the middle of the draft.
Speaker 1: And you know, and yeah, you can absolutely as long as you have faith that Will McClay can draft, this team will never be out of it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That's that's in an these scouts and stuff, I mean, they they do a great job at that, you know.
Speaker 4: So I think, to me this offseason, what I would like to.
Speaker 1: Try and figure out is why why do you have regular season success and not playoff success? And I was talking to some people this morning. I wonder if what you guys thought about this. I think for fifteen years you might not have had the coach that could get you through the playoffs. And it's coming to me now as I'm watching these I think the guy at the Buffalo is a really good coach. I don't know if he's the guy that can get them to the super Bowl, you know, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at these coaches that are left, you know, and you think, what's the difference. How can you have all these all pros and Pro Bowl players and a roster that every owner and general manager around the league would cove it, you know, and where you know, and I look at really the last fifteen years of you know, maybe that's Jerry Jones blind spot. You know, the coaching hires, you know, I mean, you go with the parcels, but.
Speaker 4: You know, he came in.
Speaker 1: I wish they'd have had Bill ten years younger, you know, because I think you would have won a super Bowl probably in oh seven with that team, with Bill coaching the team.
Speaker 6: To kind of pose a question back to you. Sure, if that's the case, let's assume that that's true. Yeah, then you look at it Mike McCarthy and say, well, he has taken a team to a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: It's different here, but it's different here.
Speaker 1: Is what's different to me is that that I look at it as maybe that things have passed him by that.
Speaker 4: Way, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean I look at sometimes you do get the right combination of players. I just I look at at the Cowboys. I look at the just as the Cowboys just the last fifteen years, with how good these rosters have been and why, you know, And with Mike, I feel like there's there's there's something missing there. It's it's I don't know if it's him, the staff. There's something that's missing that's not allowing you to have playoff success. And I'm looking again I'm looking at these teams that are in the play and they're advancing the championship games and advancing to the super Bowl. And yeah, the Kansasity Chiefs have one of the best quarterbacks to ever play this game. But they have a coach that got him there. You know, they have that type of thing. Shanahan. He's that type of guy. He could they could bust on there, they could bust on Trey Lance. But somehow take the quarterback that's the last pick in the draft. As we're all packing our bags up and saying good night, you know, they take that guy, go to the super Bowl with that guy. There's an element there. And I'm not just blaming Mike. I'm just saying overall, maybe Jerry Jones blind spot as good as he they are assembling a team. Maybe they're blind spot the last fifteen years, ten years with Jason Garrett, you know, you know, the last four or five years with Mike. There's got to be something here that's not translating and allowing them to get.
Speaker 4: To where they need to be.
Speaker 1: The roster's too good not to have success, you know, and you just start to you start to you know, when you start to analyze things. Yeah, Mike went was you know twenty eleven. Okay, it's pretty pretty recent.
Speaker 4: But I just.
Speaker 1: Wonder, is there something that that's holding this team back on that side of the ledger? You know that's that's not because I do I look at these other teams. I'm like, what's the difference, you know, what's the difference with these these coaches and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Oh, no, I hear you and I and this is a this is the conversation that we had, Like.
Speaker 4: You guys not talking because you can't say anything.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no. I just think I think you said it well. And I don't know. I think that's the million dollar.
Speaker 6: Question here, and I think nobody seems to understand why although they've had one of the best rosters, you would say, in the NFL for the last several years, fifteen years, get farther than and so I think, Yeah, last week, if you remember, I was posing the same question, and I was posing the thought, is it possible that maybe it's just the pressure of playing here is so much greater and maybe they haven't found the elixir for that.
Speaker 2: They haven't figured out.
Speaker 6: How to get the mental aspect of getting over that hump and the pressure that comes with it being here. Maybe that's a part. Again, I don't know if that is right now. I don't think anybody somebody knew they would, they would have the answer, But for me, I don't think anybody has the answer for me.
Speaker 7: And the reason I paused is because I thought Ambo would go in And then I happened to look over and Derek was looking at me, and I was like, Oh, it's on me. Okay, So for me it goes back to and great point, But it goes back to what I was saying after immediately after the Green Bay loss, as far as the only thing that I could come up with isn't intangible. But then that's terrifying because this intangible is much more difficult to rank the lane if you don't have the right leadership, like the right coaching staff.
Speaker 2: It's the mentality.
Speaker 7: It's the mental toughness to be able to go into the postseason and understand the pressure that's on this particular game. It's a one it's a one game season every single game until let slash unless you get to the super Bowl. And I think it's a situation where the Cowboys you have uh Brian makes an excellent point. When you have this many All pros and this many Pro Bowlers, and these guys setting records in the MVP, right, there's no reason that wide receivers, no reason you should have fallen short of anything but at least the NFC Championship and then competed there and giving yourself a chance for the Super Bowl. But to fall as flat as they did. Everything I saw against the Green Bay Packers, it was a mental failing. It was a mental failing. There were guys who were just they didn't seem like they were the same guy even a week prior when we watched them in Washington trying to clinch the division, or when we saw them being competitive against the Detroit Lions. It was a different team. But it's not a different team because it's the same personnel. So the only thing that seems to have gone left postseason after postseason after postseason is when the personnel sets in the respective years get to the postseason, something just clicks in the wrong direction, and that is much more difficult.
Speaker 2: I'll say this in terms of.
Speaker 6: This may not be from all of those seasons, but I do think we have to at least think about the fact that this year's failings could have been as simple as what we saw all season.
Speaker 2: If you can't run the ball and if you can't.
Speaker 6: Stop the run, you are not going to be successful in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: And what did we see?
Speaker 6: They could not run the balls consistently and they could not consistently stop the run, and in that playoff game, Green Bay ran the ball down their throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then the coach told us before the season that he fired the OC because we needed to run the ball better, and they didn't address that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, all fair, I guess my points still remained.
Speaker 4: He knew, he knew this was going to be a problem. He knew, I give him credit, he knew it was going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: But they never did anything to to fix it, you know, I mean, there was never And maybe that maybe they're they're their way of fixing it was we draft Schoonmaker. We you know, we we we get we don't practice Tyron Smith, we keep him fresh, you know, I don't know. I just think it goes back to I just don't know how you have these rosters year in and year out.
Speaker 4: And I'll go all the way back to Wade Phillips if you want. Yeah, And I and I'm not trying to just throw Mike.
Speaker 1: McCarthy under the bus, but Garrett and McCarthy, there's something that that the that that it's not allowing them to have success in the playoffs. And I think the rosters are good enough. I mean, I just I know the rosters are good enough, especially when you watch them play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you've even talked about this year though, Brian, the fatal flaw with that defense was they didn't have linebackers that they that they could rely on. So from that standpoint, like the roster did have a major flaw in.
Speaker 1: It, right, Yeah, But to me, you're right, you're right about that, and they had to kind of mask that area, right. But to me, you look at the offensively, could you cover with your offense the flaws you had on your defense?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And that's that's the thing.
Speaker 1: That I always wonder is like, Okay, if if you see one unit struggling, you know, can another unit pick it up?
Speaker 4: You know? And I think there's and I include the unit of the coaches.
Speaker 1: I include that too, as can you be a difference maker in these games? And I just I just think through the last I just it's a Jerry Joe's blind spot to me that when you look at the coaches that have been hired here, that maybe that they don't have that what it takes to get you through all this. And you talk about the mental toughness or the you know, the things that you go through during the season, good regular season coaches, and then all of a sudden you get in the playoffs and things start to fall apart.
Speaker 7: I think it's also true that in the playoffs, and I know that you will agree Brian to this point, when you get to the postseason, one thing that's going to help you get over the edge or get over the hump is it's going to take more than just having above average guys. You're going to have to have some heavy hitters, some superstars. So circling back to Jerry Jones saying that they're all in, well, the perfect example of what all end looks like is you're the San Francisco forty nine ers and you don't need Christian McCaffrey, right, but you go into a blockbuster trade for Christian McCaffrey and guess why you're going to the Super Bowl again?
Speaker 2: Because of Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 8: That's what I was gonna say. Like, the trade deadline came and went, and we were talking about it on here, and we all saw areas where the Cowboys did need some help and nothing really happened. So I do agree. And and I'm sitting here just thinking listening to you guys, and you know, it's hard to come up with an exact answer because I was here for a good part of Jason Garrett's era. Every year seemed like you got the same thing type of stuff right, And then with McCarthy, the only thing that I would say is like every year you feel like, okay, we changed this part this coaching staff. When got fired, you got Dan Quinn. Okay, now we got some improvement. Okay, So you start adding elements where you see areas of improvement. Even this year. Now we're talking about Dak Prescott having his best year of his career. And then you you once again you think, Okay, well we just waste this. It could be, yeah, could be. But I don't think anyone has really the answer to the solution. But we I think we all agree with what you're saying. I mean, when they to the playoffs, everything just completely changes.
Speaker 4: I'm not putting it all on Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 1: I think there's a I think there's something fundamentally you ask why twenty five years of not having success. I don't think that there's been times where you've had the guy in that chair or the guys in those those rooms that have been able to push you through.
Speaker 4: I really don't that.
Speaker 1: That's to me, that's the one thing that that one common enough. How can these rosters be so good year in and year out and then you not being able to see this thing through?
Speaker 4: You know that there, you know. And it seems like I'm pointing the finger at McCarthy. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, look through the history, look through the history of this. When they've had really really good teams and you're and you fall short, and you're like, wait a minute, they're the giant, They're not the giants aren't better than them? And seven yea, you know the team, the twenty sixteen team.
Speaker 2: You know that's fourteen teams.
Speaker 1: The fourteen team. Yeah, you start to go, why are they falling short? And I I just to me, it's it's not an easy thing to try and to identify. But when you feel like you have a roster that has six, seven, eight Pro Bowl players every year and a quarterback that played at a pro at an MVP level, there's something not right there. There's something not And as much as they helped Doc during the regular season, there was some there was a disconnect and that in that playoff game, and and that's that's that's a shame, that's.
Speaker 7: A I feel like it's time to go into overkill mode personnel wise, because it's something that Ambar said sparked the thought in my head. They they see a situation that they might need help in, and maybe they address it. But what about what's to be said for upgrade versus simply waiting for an issue to become an issue. Why not just upgrade for the sake of upgrading right at any particular position. Example, if you have an opportunity to go right, example being you know what Ceedee Lamb is, now, you know what Brandon Cooks can be offense, et cetera, et cetera. But there's a guy who's a brother of a defensive guy here, for example, without me saying the name, that would be like an overkill mode, right, Howie Roseman, he goes into overkill mode. Shanahan and those guys out there at Lynch they going to overkill mode.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys.
Speaker 7: For as great as they do at drafting, developing, and then paying some of those guys that they've developed, it keeps popping in my head that when you get to the postseason, who is the opposing team absolutely terrified? Up Right, teams are terrified of Deebo Samuel, They're terrified of Christian McCaffrey, maybe not Brock Purdy, but they're terrified of George Kittle. Then you flip it to the defensive side of the ball. Now, Cowboys do have some terrifying guys. Michael Paris as the Marcus Lawrence would be like your Nick Bosa and guys like that. But from an offensive standpoint, and then maybe it's certain spots linebacker for example.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 7: Right, you don't have a Fred one teams, you gotta have waves of those teams are terrified going to overkill. If you're all in and you are going to let McCarthy coach this year out and you are if you're in fact going to let Dak Prescott into a contract year, Okay, this is a perfect time to say, overkill mode, we're going to get as many terrifying guys.
Speaker 6: But here's the argument that goes against that. They got nine guys going to the Pro Bowl. They got guys, So back to that point.
Speaker 2: So the guys and then there's that guy.
Speaker 6: No, I get that, but you got in den Bland, a guy that teams Legitimately, we're concerned about what kind of balls were going this way. Now, there was some ways to take advantage of him. We saw that, right, but you had to be very careful when you came in to the game. You have to be thoughtful about where he is and what kind of throw a you're going to make to his side of the field, because he could turn into six points the other way. Right, there are guys like that. They have players. I don't think that that's necessarily it. Now you can make an argument, are those players showing up in the playoff games at maybe a whole different conversation, and it may be a fair conversation. But I think they got guys, and I think they got guys other teams. Legitimately we have to game plan around. I just don't know if those guys have shown up in the way we expect them to in the biggest moments.
Speaker 7: And that goes to the guy. The difference between being a guy. Right, Tony Pollard is a guy. Right, Tony Pollard can be productive, he can be effective, but he's not Christian McCaffrey. Right, you talk about a guy who's I don't know if we can say this, but he's pending free agency.
Speaker 2: So let me put it this way, barring a new deal being.
Speaker 7: Agreed upon, a guy like Derrick Henry, for example, we'll get into the minute.
Speaker 6: By the way, just so you know, this is just friends. We're talking about this stuff. There is no relation between us and what's happening on the football side the building.
Speaker 7: There you go, So Derrick Henry being a prime example of being a prime example of appreciate you possibly going into overkill mode saying, Okay, I know Tony poll is going in the free agency, but as opposed to saying, well, we'll bring Tony Pollard and try to run this back with him as RB one, We're going to try to upgrade and going to overkill. And I'm fine with the cornerbacks if you keep Stepan around and Trevon Dix is coming back and you got to Ron Bland, that true can be quite nasty. But then if you look at the the linebacker position, you want more from de Mount Clark. Overshown is a rookie who's coming off of a redshirt season in a town acol. He's going to require some time. We've seen that Marquise Bell. Although very athletic, that flex can penalize you at times because you've got a guard getting to the second level and now he washes you out.
Speaker 2: So you need a linebacker.
Speaker 7: And free agency big name well first Bobby Wagner when he came available, for example. That's what I mean going into overkill mode. This team has a lot of very very good players, and they have a few players that can terrify the opposing team, but why not get more players that can tell?
Speaker 2: And there is no problem with that.
Speaker 6: I do think one thing that jumped out to me is I think you look at the linebacker position and talk about Overshown and you think there's going to be something there. You think you got a player there. When you look at Mazi, you say you had a first round of next year, you expect him to maybe make a leap this next year. Those are the situations where in the past, I think the Cowboys sit pad and say, we got a guy.
Speaker 4: We'll let them develop.
Speaker 1: We don't want to we don't want to stop his right, we don't want to stop his progress.
Speaker 6: Those are the places where I'm like, no, this offseason, go look on the free agent market. See who is the baddest defensive tackle out I get that guy. I don't care who you got on your roster. Go get that guy. Who's the best linebacker you got out there? Go get that guy because you can't have too many of them. Go get that guy and get the players who.
Speaker 2: Actually can make a difference for this time.
Speaker 1: I think if I was Mike McCarthy, I would be standing at Will mcclay's door every single day like, what about this guy?
Speaker 4: What about this guy?
Speaker 1: If my job was on the line, you're going to try I'm going to wear you out every day about players. I'm going to wear you out. Okay, where do we got this guy's in the draft boards? What's our plan to go get this guy? I really like Laporta the tight end, Like, let's make this happen. Guys, I'm telling you I like Laporte. You know, if I'm Mike McCarthy and I really like a player.
Speaker 4: I am, I am.
Speaker 1: They're going to be sick of me, you know, walking in there and talking about these players you are.
Speaker 6: We're going to our first break thirty three minutes. And let me just say for the record, we will get to dak next week. Little man get there this show, so boy, we will come back. We had a couple more comments from Jerry. We can hit up with that when we come back Dallas. Cowboys dot Com red.
Speaker 9: You Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details. Cowboys fans after that move We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the tape.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking App.
Speaker 9: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 7: Bank of the America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't stop Banking every time.
Speaker 4: It's only available in the Elish language.
Speaker 10: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on Selec mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Message dat rags applied.
Speaker 11: Remember f the icy Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 2: You, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 1: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 6: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier to cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: Back to the break. All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: We're in stretch. Run for buddy Sean Polite. He's your twenty twenty three Cowlin.
Speaker 2: Something Fan of the Year. Yeah, let's win something. Come on, Yeah no, I'm just say let's win some Let's go be nice.
Speaker 4: If Sean Polite could win.
Speaker 2: Be aggressive fan fan, this is on you. Let's be aggressive.
Speaker 4: Vote upset, go get hits guy on. You know, but now he needs your help.
Speaker 1: Vote for Seawn to be given the ultimate title of NFL fan and they are presented by Captain Morgan by casting your vote at nfl dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of the break laugh in s WBC Morriage Studios at the Star.
Speaker 2: We've got nine minutes. Let's see what we can do there.
Speaker 4: You guys have been good hosts by away for the Bowl game for the East West.
Speaker 2: Yeah you went over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a good talent of the good stuff Man Trap show. We had a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Good yeah, good good, good evaluation starts a great place to watch football.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, yeah, it really is. All right, let's get this this next.
Speaker 1: Tickets for the event too, for what the ticket by your ticket for the game?
Speaker 2: Yeah I got yes, go check out the game. Yeah all right, So Jerry also had to help you here. No, it's goods, good stuff.
Speaker 6: Jerry also had a comment about Mike McCarthy and bringing him back.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen to that. That's clip number one.
Speaker 3: Chris, uh and understand disruption and uh uh. I think that the nature of what we do with our roster decisions, the fact that we're here looking at help, if you will, for this coming here here at the senior bow, the fact that we have free agency opportunities, the fact that we've got some really of substantive decisions to make own our roster as it pertains to particularly influenced by the salary cap.
Speaker 4: That's enough disruption for me.
Speaker 3: And five we get through all of those decisions, there will be a lot of disruption, all right.
Speaker 6: That was an interesting comment about disruption, mainly about them figuring out how they're going to change things up.
Speaker 2: I think that was the crux of what he was saying.
Speaker 6: The interesting part about that is Mike McCarthy's back, presumably dak is back. Yeah, as it looks right now, there's still a pretty good chance that Dan Quinn is back. So if all those three three things stay the same, and again Quinn's still up for jobs that have not been filled, so there's a possibility he's gone. But assuming all those three things stay the same, what would you think is the most important things the thing that Dallas needs to address this offseason to create the greatest disruption and the greatest difference maker in what they saw what we saw this year into what would be next year.
Speaker 1: Briani and go first, you know, we I think we really in the thirty five minutes we talked before, we kind of a trust that, you know, when you start to look at the rosters and things like that.
Speaker 4: They need to get back to that hitting on those two or three draft the kids that they get on the draft.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 6: I'm what I'm asking more is, specifically, what is that one area that if you couldn't address all the other ones, this is the area that.
Speaker 2: Makes the biggest difference. Is it defensive tackle? Is it line?
Speaker 4: I see?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got they've got to They've got to draft a center. They if they want to run the football, they've got to find a way to get better at center. And they've got to and I'm sorry I misunderstood your question.
Speaker 4: That, but yeah, they have to.
Speaker 1: They have to find a way to get the center, and they got to get the right tackle healthy again. And then they've got to figure out scoon Maker and those guys have got to have a really good offseason within the weight room and things. But the most important thing for them is if they really really really want to run the football, they got to address their center.
Speaker 7: I agree, you have to address center. I'm going to keep it to the offensive line, because we've already talked about linebackers. I think that's glaringly obvious. What's your left tackle situation? Because Tyron Smith he's going into unrestricted free agency, assuming that no deal lands before the league year opens in mid March, and even if you choose to bring him back, maybe like on a one year deal, maybe two year deal with a one year opt out, you still need to figure out the present and future at that position. We know they're not going to move Tyler Smith. That ship has definitely sailed. So what do you got. You got Matt will Let's go. You can only hope that he remains durable, but he's now had sublizations on both shoulders. You got Austin Richards mid round pick from last season, didn't develop well enough to get playing time this past year despite your injury issues at left tackle. So for me, you got to figure out the left tackle situation. And I think that I agree with Brian completely in that you need to look at potentially going center at least entertaining center as one of your top picks. But that also goes right up against you might need to consider your left tackle situation one of your top picks as well.
Speaker 4: Good point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, exactly agree with all that. And when we were having the conversation earlier about making those tough decisions, I immediately thought about, Okay, you guys are the same people that were saying you would want to have Tyron Smith back on the team, which is which is tough because again, once you present your one, we know it's good. Okay, yeah, but it's one of those things that Okay, we've seen it happen in the past, and then I'm fast forward to that moment because we history has shown that's gonna happen at some point or another. And then we're sitting here talking about it and being like, man, here we go again. Who's gonna be there to start the game? Blah blah blah, is it gonna play not play? And then those are situations that you already know, So how are you preparing yourself? This is not it didn't happen just it last year or the year before. This has been going on for years. So it's those type of things, and it this having these conversations and I know we're this is part of the job, and we're gonna have these conversations and we're gonna keep going. But it's so frustrating because nothing we say matters, really nothing we say matters, nothing we say, we cannot predict the future. And what sucks most is even having to go through the whole season. We won't have the answer until we get to the playoffs again and really see if this changes worked or not. But totally agree with just being able to run the ball. I think those are one of my top priorities for this year as well. And we've talked about it already. Penalties, just addressing the issue. Those things have hurt you so much throughout the season. It's been an ongoing issue that I think that they need to really really figure out how to really address that.
Speaker 1: When they've drafted offensive lineman the first round, they've been plug and play and they've had success, They've had really good drafts. When they draft guys like that, and all of a sudden they put them in and then now everything kind of follows behind that, they figure everything else behind that. So drafting off of lineman, whether it's a tackle a center, that to me is I have no problem with either one of those.
Speaker 6: Ill thre he one more curveball For me, it's linebacker because I look at three of the four teams that were playing last weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh sure have studs at linebacker.
Speaker 6: Some of them have two, not just one, they got two, Like San Francisco has two, Baltimore has two.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: I look at that, and I say, if you talk about this defense, there's a lot of areas where you're like, man, they are really strong. They got some really good players at a lot of different positions. My thought is, get yourself a Fred Warner. I know that's easier said than done, but get yourself that kind of linebacker that changes everything on this defense. In my opinion, you need a playmaking type linebacker that is just as good if you decide to send him at the quarterback as he is out in pass coverage, as he is dicing through the defense to make a tackle behind the line of scrimmage. You need that kind of guy, and I think that would make a bigger impact than anything else you could.
Speaker 2: Do right now on this team.
Speaker 4: I think you're going to have to spend money on that. Just looking at the college kids. Yeah, look at the college kids.
Speaker 1: Though, the guys like Edrian Cooper from Texas A and M It would be a really, really good option.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: This group is a good I say a good group. But what happens is there's guys that are banged up. I mean banged up like Shawn Lee banged up, and Layton Vandrush banged up. You know, one of the best, one of the best players at linebackers, a kid named Peyton Wilson from North Carolina State. Uh, double digit surgeries, but one of the best linebackers.
Speaker 4: In the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm staying away from that.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I guess Jeremiah Trotter, Now, yeah, Jeremiah Trotter, love him.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, spent six foot he's two hundred thirty pounds.
Speaker 1: I think if Dallas is going to do damage, going all in, spend your money on a veteran linebacker. Go out and get a veteran linebacker. And the list is a pretty pretty substantial one.
Speaker 4: I think that can help you.
Speaker 6: All Right, real quick, before we end the show, let's get to this final cut that we had. This one was about Dax's improvement from with Mike McCarthy and his offense.
Speaker 2: That's cut number two. Let's check it out.
Speaker 3: You certainly have made improvement in areas I think Dak, for instance, writa at a key spot there with Dak, Dak has improved since Mike has been here, and I think we can look forward to that improvement. There's more there to get in terms of Dak's improvement quote Mike, and the evidence points to that. And so with more to get there, more pluses own Dak. That impacts a lot of other things we're doing right now with our decisions we're making sort of all made sense to.
Speaker 2: Have him back there.
Speaker 6: Jerry Jones is talking about Mike McCarthy and him working with Dak. I think we all agree that Dak had one of his best seasons and you've got to get some credit.
Speaker 4: To Mike absolutely for that. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: My question is specifically, what are the areas where you think that he made the difference, Like, what were the areas that in Dak's game where you saw a tangible difference this year over last year or other years.
Speaker 7: I'm going to say timing in chemistry with the receivers. Dak talked a lot about in the training camp and over the course of the season, the timing of the footwork and versus the release right point for the ball so I think that McCarthy's offense served Dak and CD Lamb very well in that capacity as far as making sure that in Dak's mind and it became muscle memory, you know, one two ball goes goes to this spot, receiver needs to be at this spot. So McCarthy did very well in that capacity, and I think that that's something that Dak Prescott and this offense can really build on.
Speaker 2: And that's that's one of those.
Speaker 7: Things where it's like, it's difficult because the fans don't want to hear about praise right now, and that's fair.
Speaker 2: I get it one hundred percent. But two things can be true.
Speaker 7: So you can say that it was a failure on all levels against the Packers, because it was. It's also true that if we're talking regular season, Mike McCarthy first year back as a play after several years off from doing so, he gets Dak Prescott in the MVP conversation make ceedee Lama NFL his historic wide receiver Jake Ferguson has a breakout season. So to Jerry's point, there is something still to be built there. It just needs to translate over to the postseason. So unfortunately, like you said, like we said on previous shows, now we're going into a season where it doesn't matter how many wins they get in twenty twenty four. They could be a thirteen and fourteen, fourteen and three team, and all we're going to sit here and wonder is what happens in January.
Speaker 1: He schemed more routes, he gave more open throws and wop seed around him.
Speaker 4: He did. He did a lot more year the first five weeks of this season, though one very good on offense.
Speaker 1: He listened, They made some changes, but he gave Dak more open throws than what we've seen in the past.
Speaker 2: Also some pre snap, a lot more pre snap.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he looked up just a lot more comfortable in general. Where you talked about muscle memory, I think that did kick in this year for him, where you don't see him having to really think about it that much or look around, or then all of a sudden he's just throwing the ball to get rid of it. I think his throws were a lot more precise because he was a lot more in sync with the receiver, especially Ceedee Lamb as a whole, and I think he mentally was just at a good spot physically too, because even last year, coming with the injury that he had or whatever, I think he still had that in his And that's just me assuming just mentally there he just didn't seem as comfortable. But this year he does. And I do think Dak can be the quarterback that takes this team to a super Bowl. And I know that people when I talk about how bad he played in this game, and he played really really bad against the Packers, but at the same time, it was collectively bad. It was everybody. It was not just on Dak. So I've seen Dak have really really great games. I've seen Dak kind of for the first time. I feel like in his career there were times where he carried the team and that's something new that I had not seen before from Dak in his game as the.
Speaker 4: Core it back.
Speaker 8: So I think, uh, he can be that guy. Do you just need a You got a lot of other things.
Speaker 7: Resurgence, mobility as well in this first year. Yeah, it doesn't play caller, so finally that that became a thing as well.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate you guys. Jonas back next week, maybe we'll talk about Dak. We'll see what others.
Speaker 6: Brian will not be here with us, as we found out, but maybe we can get you to call in for a quick segment.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 4: I will tell you what's going on with the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Happy parents have cursed you out, hope.
Speaker 4: Take a number. Take a number if.
Speaker 2: You said you guys you want to super back next week? Patrick Walker, Brian Broddis Nambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.