Speaker 1: You know, one of the coolest things about... Oh, wow. You got a new sound alert. What is the coolest thing about a podcast?
Speaker 2: One of the coolest things about doing this podcast is you get access to movies before they're out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only reason we're doing it. Yeah, I just want that. Like, we used to get those SAG screeners. Remember the DVDs we used to get? Yeah. That was big. They cut up your card years ago. That's why you don't get those anymore. Oh, is that what happens? That tracks. Yeah, but now we get early films and we get to watch them and make up our minds if we like or dislike. That's true. Be the first people on, what's that? Oh my God, I'm blanking. What's the thing? The app? Letterboxd. We can be the first ones on Letterboxd. Start reviewing early. Do you have a Letterboxd account? I do. Do you actually review movies? Yeah, that's what you do. I have not really started yet, but I... I feel like you'd be really into it, Nick. It's not a secret. People don't know I have one, but I've been reviewing. Oh, interesting. I'd like to follow you. What's the last movie you reviewed? I mean, let's find out. Hold, please. Let's see what we got here in the old letterbox. I need to do more letterboxing. The last one I did, you know, because I'm trying to be really honest. Here we go. This is why you don't want to be public. You're super critical. I like it. Always have been. Films. Wow. These are all my movies I've reviewed. Wow.
Speaker 2: He's like, he's got some films. I think Apex was the last one and Hail Mary.
Speaker 1: Hail Mary. Because, you know, they give you like, oh, have you seen this one? You're like, oh, obviously. Yeah. So I went kind of like deep on the films that I love. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I really enjoyed the film that we're about to talk to the actress that's in this film.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed the first ones so much. Back in the day, me and Danielle watched Practical Magic, the original. And it's a cult classic. 30 years ago you guys watched that? Yeah, it's like, you know, back in the day when we were infants. We watched it actually not too long ago, probably the last couple of years, around Halloween time.
Speaker 1: It's a very Halloween-y film.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Because, you know, it's about witches. You said weenie. I did say weenie. I didn't say wiener, but I said weenie. But now... Good one. Clip it. But now.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: But now there's another one. There's another one.
Speaker 2: Practical Magic 2. It took him 30 years. They need to get this next guest born to be in the movie.
Speaker 1: It's true. She had to grow up. She must be born and grow up. Well, in the first movie, the main actress, Sandra Bullock. Yeah. And Nicole Kidman. Yeah. Sandra Bullock has children. Heard of them.
Speaker 2: They need to grow up to be where they are in this film. So it's actually perfectly timed for the sequel.
Speaker 3: Perfectly timed.
Speaker 1: Perfectly timed. And of course, our guest today, so exciting, our friend, Miss Joey King. Yeah!
Speaker 3: Hi!
Speaker 1: Hello! Live studio audience.
Speaker 3: Hi, Joey! What's up? I'm sorry I'm not there in person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the hell? We're so happy that you're on the podcast. Thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. You guys, I want to start by saying, I don't know if you know this, but You guys were my first concert that I ever went to in my whole life.
Speaker 1: No way. Where at? Yes.
Speaker 3: Okay. I don't remember where they held the Teen Choice Awards for like 2000 to 2010. I believe that was.
Speaker 1: At Gibson Amphitheater. It's not longer there. Now it's Harry Potter World, but this was in Universal.
Speaker 3: That's right. It is. Yeah. Okay. So it was the Gibson Amphitheater. And that was my first ever concert. And I saw you guys. Wow.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. We have a photo.
Speaker 3: Painstakingly. You do?
Speaker 1: We have a photo.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know exactly what picture this is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know the photo. The one. So this is 2008, probably? 2007? I've got a really good fake tan going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was one of the times that I waited outside to meet the peeps, the famous peeps at the Teen Choice Awards.
Speaker 1: With my sisters.
Speaker 2: You crushed it. Me and my wife were talking about this photo earlier. We were guessing how old you were. How old were you in this? Six to nine, right?
Speaker 1: Somewhere in there?
Speaker 3: In 2008, I was... I was eight or nine. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: So pretty close. Yeah. You look like the age of our oldest daughter, our youngest daughter. Sorry.
Speaker 2: And then, yeah, that was what I was thinking. Um, who, who else were you waiting for then? I mean, I don't know who you're waiting for us, but you're waiting.
Speaker 1: Who was nice and who was not? Let's start there.
Speaker 3: In your entire career.
Speaker 1: No, just in your entire show. Was there somebody who were like, Oh, I really hope I get to meet them.
Speaker 3: I Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 1: Oh, totally. Love.
Speaker 3: Which was amazing.
Speaker 1: Since you've been gone, what's going off?
Speaker 3: Who else? I'm trying to remember. That was like my high school musical.
Speaker 1: They were there. Oh, yeah. The entire cast was there.
Speaker 3: Yes, by the way, which 100% Vanessa, Zach, all that jazz. But that was, I can't, I was just painstakingly looking through my mom's phone trying to find a picture of the concert that I went to. Because remember what I wore, too. You guys had merch out that was like purple, orange, yellow, pink ombre of like the cutout of you guys, the silhouette.
Speaker 1: Wow. Good memory.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I wore that and I was like just literally all morning. I was like this through my mom's phone trying to find a picture, but I couldn't find one. And I don't remember if it was before 2008 or after 2008, but I think it was before. I think my first concert ever was when I was like eight years old. So it must have been around then.
Speaker 1: That makes us feel so wild. Wow, we're so grateful. Thank you. And at that time, you were.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say older grateful, be honest.
Speaker 1: That makes us feel so old and grateful. Old and grateful. You know, thinking back to the Teen Choice Awards, though, because I don't know that it's really as much a thing now as it was. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Is it a thing at all anymore?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it is. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a category that was just like, hottest guy and hottest girl, and how inappropriate is that?
Speaker 2: And best kiss, and they'd always remake the kiss. No, it was Teen Choice Awards, too.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, Kevin. Thank you, Joey. Best teen. Yes, just best teen.
Speaker 3: Hottest teen.
Speaker 1: Very strange that that was a thing.
Speaker 3: I know. I feel like the Teen Choice Awards, though, was like all that. It was like everything.
Speaker 2: They were handing out surfboards left and right.
Speaker 3: Everything, especially cause like my, so my sisters are a little bit older than me. They're six and seven years older than me. And so like everything they were into, I was into and they were six, seven. Uh, they were so obsessed with the Teen Choice Awards as was I. And then as I got older, like I got to attend a few times and I remember like my heart was like racing being an attendee. I wasn't nominated for anything. I was just going and I was like, Oh my God, this is like, this is, I peaked. This is everything I've ever wanted in my life.
Speaker 1: You peaked. I think there was a lot more in your career after that. Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know that, though. At the time, I was just like, this is it, guys. I got to the Teen Choice Awards.
Speaker 1: I remember a very cringe moment that we hosted the Teen Choice Awards. Just one cringe moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they put us on the rigging and had us flying up in the air at one point. There was a gag where we were going to start. After the commercial break, it was actually, I have a soundbite. And we're back.
Speaker 1: And after the break, we were hanging above the audience. And when you read that in a script, when you're getting it, because we're reading through this, we're like, oh, that's going to be so fun. Because I don't know why the bit was, why were we flying up in the air? I'm not really sure. They had to rig us before the commercial break and the commercial breaks were quite long. So we're just, we're just hanging out there above the audience.
Speaker 3: You're just hanging up there by the way to like, you know, obviously back in, during the teen choice awards, everyone had kissed everyone. Everyone had dated everyone. And you're just like hanging in a harness over like everyone, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the drama was real.
Speaker 3: The lore had to go so deep and it's like, it's so much worse when you're like, in an adult harness diaper, and you're just hanging over all your peers, friends, enemies, and you're just like, what did I agree to? I know what you felt. I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: We're so thrilled that you're on the pod with us. If you don't mind me asking, where are you Zooming from or calling in from?
Speaker 3: I'm Zooming from my mom's best friend's house.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Once I'm done with this, we're playing Mahjong all day.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really nice. I've got like a very busy month coming up with like press and just like work and stuff. So it's really nice to be able to kind of have like days where we're just doing like family stuff. That's great. Last night I went to go see my niece who was 10 months old.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just like family time is so great. And so especially when you're like sandwiched by such busyness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So where did you grow up then?
Speaker 3: I grew up in Simi Valley, California.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Simi heads, rise up.
Speaker 1: What's up? Rise up.
Speaker 3: Have you guys spent much time in Simi Valley? Because I know that a lot of people shot music videos out there.
Speaker 1: We shot the Hold On music video out there.
Speaker 2: And I shot a TV show with my brother Franklin out there at the Hummingbird Nest Ranch.
Speaker 1: Claim to fame.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course. The Hummingbird Nest Ranch.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Did you guys ever go to Skate Lab out there when it was open?
Speaker 1: No. Skate Lab. I think so. That sounds very cool. Cooler than we were. I don't think we were cool enough to go to Skate Lab. They wouldn't let us in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably not. Just, you know, you're probably right. You're not cool enough. No, it's not there anymore, but it was kind of like one of our claim to fames in Simi Valley. It was the largest indoor skate park in North America.
Speaker 1: Sounds like somewhere I would have loved to go.
Speaker 3: It was pretty spectacular. Did you skate, Joey?
Speaker 1: You were a skater?
Speaker 3: I was. I did skateboard a lot when I was younger. Oh, cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had to make a decision after I got hurt many, many times whether I wanted to be doing that or whether I wanted to be an actress.
Speaker 1: Or have a successful career as an actress, yes.
Speaker 3: I think I want to be an actress. I got hurt a lot of times while I was working, and then I got in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do that. As your skateboarding abilities come in handy, like on any films, have you been able to skateboard?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Is that in your resume?
Speaker 3: I actually learned how to skate for a movie when I was younger, and then that's kind of what got me into. it and then i i just happened to live five minutes away from this fabulous place for most.
Speaker 1: Of my teens i would have loved to live a place like that.
Speaker 3: It was really it was really great but we were very like you know tony hawk came there sometimes just there sometimes so that's why i asked because like it was kind of a weirdly like a hot spot occasionally i.
Speaker 2: Remember this place because i we grew up being huge skaters now and that you're bringing it up like it was like considered like woodward of the west like we had woodward out by us in pennsylvania which was like the If you were a skater, you went there for camp.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Woodward? No, it was never that good. Okay, okay. Well, it was the place to go. I know Squidward. Okay, that's something.
Speaker 3: Hey, my favorite clarinet playing squid.
Speaker 1: Oh, the best. So grumpy.
Speaker 3: What a talent, you know? What a talent.
Speaker 2: So please tell us. I'm so happy for you with Practical Magic 2.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congratulations. It's so awesome. So exciting.
Speaker 2: The first one is incredible, obviously, but now so many years later. They had to wait for the girls to grow up, and you're the perfect casting producer.
Speaker 3: How did you guys decide on who gets to do the sound effects?
Speaker 1: They just gave it to Joe when we started doing this.
Speaker 3: Does it rotate every time?
Speaker 1: No, it does. And I have new ones each time. It's really annoying.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're doing a great job. You seem like the kind of person who would abuse the privilege.
Speaker 2: I did request that. I had an offline email to the producers, and I said, hey, guys. He's like, I'm not great at talking. Can you give me buttons? Make this easy.
Speaker 1: My brain is going everywhere. It gives me something fun to look at and be like, ooh, what's this button? It's a new one. That's the newest one. Pikachu.
Speaker 3: What does it say? Pikachu. What does that say?
Speaker 1: Pikachu. It's Pikachu saying Pikachu.
Speaker 2: It kind of sounds like it's a Pokemon character.
Speaker 1: Fuck you.
Speaker 3: I thought it was like, bless you.
Speaker 1: Oh, or it's bless you. Actually, that's good to know. So if at any point, if I use it, it's either bless if you sneeze or say something that I think deserves.
Speaker 3: What do you guys, because by the way, I want to talk about practical magic, of course, but we will.
Speaker 1: It's okay. We love it. This is all we do. We just sit around and talk shit. So it's perfect. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know, I have, I come from, so you are three brothers.
Speaker 1: I come from three sisters.
Speaker 3: Which is like, you know, it's the best. Um, do if like, like, I mean, what if it happened today? What if you guys have like a huge fight before you have to like go interview.
Speaker 1: Someone before we go interview someone, we canceled the interview.
Speaker 3: No, no.
Speaker 1: Like, I think at this point we've learned to just call it out and like, what, what's wrong? Why are you upset? Or like, sorry, sorry. That was offensive.
Speaker 3: Oh, healthy, boring.
Speaker 1: Healthy, boring stuff. But there's times when we're definitely holding grudges and those days off are spent alone. Meditation, therapy, these types of things. And you know what always helps? You know what always helps, Joey? That'll keep you together.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go. I was like, sound effects?
Speaker 1: Sound effects, primarily.
Speaker 3: Money and sound. By the way, sound effects, that is, I mean, listen, I was like the class clown of my family. I was like, whenever there was tension, I'd be like, hey, look at me. And so I was like, miss sound effects when everyone was like fighting.
Speaker 1: I'd be like. Well, same question then goes for you. Like, how do you deal with your family?
Speaker 2: You guys obviously are all in the business for the most part. And so let's get some names here. Your sister's names are?
Speaker 3: Hunter King and Kelly King.
Speaker 1: Great names. Hunter and Kelly.
Speaker 2: How do you guys deal with conflict as a family? I know we pretty much have to head it off at the pass right away.
Speaker 1: Do you guys do that too? Or do you guys bury it, call mom, vent?
Speaker 3: We're low-key conflict avoidant, to be honest. But Hunter, God bless her, she's so conflict avoidant. She's such a sweet pie, such a lover, so thoughtful. She would rather die than say that you upset her. But she lets it go. She doesn't hold on to it. Kelly is more like you upset me. That was weird. Screw you. Let's talk about it. And I'm like, cool. Me, I, I don't know. I feel like I kind of just like let them do their thing. It's rare that they upset me to the degree where I'm like, I need to talk to them about it. You know, what's interesting is like, okay, so I'm obsessed with my sisters. I love them so much. Of course we like annoy each other sometimes and get into it. But I feel like there's like a sibling thing where it's like, you know, if you're like mom is yelling at your sibling. And even if you're annoyed with your sibling, you just like, won't let that slide. It's like, only you can yell at your sibling. So like, that's kind of our relationship where it's like, oh my God, I'm obsessed with my mom too. But if my mom is like ragging on one of my sisters, I'm like, dad, you can't do that here. That is not welcome here. Like that is, you do not talk about her like that. Only I talk about her like that.
Speaker 1: That's great that you have each other's backs like that though.
Speaker 3: It's like to a degree where it's like, It's it's it is the classic like no one can talk to you like that except for me vibes, which I think is like it's sweet. It's really nice. It's like very it's cool to have people that are built into your life that like no matter what, you will see them grow up and become like there's definitely phases of life with your siblings where you're like, oh, like I wonder if that was my friend, if we would have stayed friends or if we would have stayed friends. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like, will we really be friends if we weren't siblings?
Speaker 3: And there's phases where you're like, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What was the answer?
Speaker 1: I think we wouldn't, I think we were all so different. We are pretty different.
Speaker 3: And there's like, and my sisters too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the reason we're siblings. And also because our parents had sex.
Speaker 3: They did indeed. But nature nurtures. So interesting. Nature does so much. And I feel like there's phases of life for sure, where I'm like, I don't know if we would have stayed friends. Like that's like, you know, who knows, but like, because, and we're all in a phase right now where we're like best friends. So tight percent would be friends in real life kind of vibe. But like, because we've gone through those phases where we weren't sure. And now, now we're here. It's like cool to have like a forced almost in a good way front row seat to like people's lives that um you know maybe you otherwise like wouldn't have because of blood.
Speaker 1: Which is how often do you get to see your siblings.
Speaker 3: A lot we live very close to each other um my oldest sister especially because of the new baby i go over to the house probably like i try to go like twice as i can um thank you babies are like i love this kid she's so awesome so i see kelly like twice a week probably and hunter travels a lot for work as do i so it's like when she's in town i'll try to see her like two to three times.
Speaker 1: The best parts of each other you know yeah yeah but.
Speaker 3: Then we'll go out of time for a long time but we facetime and talk on the phone like most like four times a week probably it's great.
Speaker 2: Just to be like me and joe are gym facetimers like and callers yeah we catch up that's when we catch up Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're on the, you're on the treadmill. I'm on the treadmill. You're walking. I'm walking. And I'm waking up. So it's not.
Speaker 3: That's what I do with my, my, I do gym stuff too. It's like when I'm on the tread, I'm like, Oh, I'm so bored.
Speaker 1: Somebody distract me. It's great. It helps.
Speaker 3: Cause I feel like maybe sisters are just like this, but maybe brothers are too. Like what you do talk about can just vary. It can just be like, Oh my, like I dropped my Stanley cup today and it chipped like genuinely like nothing. It's Stanley talk.
Speaker 1: It's literally nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a hell of a lot of nothing. I mean, there's usually- Me and you would talk, we can talk about nothing for a long time. I'm not a big nothing talker.
Speaker 2: No, Nick's like pretty, like he calls and you know, like you're going to talk about something and then you're going to hang up.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. I respect that. I was watching you in the car. I think you called or your wife called or you called and you were like, hey, sleep well?
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Love you. I was like, wow. Exactly. And it was efficient. It was lovely. And it was like, we're good. And that's how it is with Nick. It's like, he's like, what's up? This morning I called you. I'm like, hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: Like, hey, I'm like, do you want to go to the gym? And you're like, yeah, I'm going to eat first. I'm like, all right, see you in the gym. You're nailing the voice, by the way.
Speaker 1: The voice is spot on. It's just direct. Kevin's like, hey. You want to talk.
Speaker 2: He wants to get into it. I want to know all the things I don't need to know. Am I your first call or second call?
Speaker 1: You're my first call.
Speaker 3: Oh, wow.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because you're on the East Coast. I don't make these feels. No, because I can talk for longer. I was on the East Coast earlier. I don't mind at all.
Speaker 3: You don't mind at all?
Speaker 1: I've got stuff I'm doing. I'm doing stuff. It's okay. He's busy. He's a busy man.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, forgive me for not remembering this off the top of my head. Joe, you're the youngest, right?
Speaker 1: I am youngest at heart. Nick, you're the youngest. We have another brother, Franklin Jonas, who's the youngest.
Speaker 3: Of course, the youngest of you three is what I am.
Speaker 1: So he goes, Kevin, me, Nick, Franklin. Okay. Yeah. But would you have thought that Joe was the youngest because of his childish behavior?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Because we're sitting in the same way. No, maybe you just thought the way we were sitting.
Speaker 3: No, I just, I feel like you and I are like, we have the same kind of like.
Speaker 1: Joe's no.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Joe's no. Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: But Nick, you're like, my husband's like that. I see, I'm a chatter, chat, chat, chat, chat, chat, chat, like about nothing. And... my husband, like he'll, of course I'm, I'm usually just talking and he's just kind of like hanging.
Speaker 1: He's taking it in.
Speaker 3: And then like, he'll like, I'll say like this long thing and I'll be like, isn't it crazy that like anesthesia exists and it's like a long winded, like it's like train of thought.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And then like, and then I'll be done and he'll be like, yeah, Yeah, and I'm like, all right, I'm going to call my sister and say the same exact thing.
Speaker 1: It's like this new trend you see online. It's like, I feel like you just don't see me. And it's like, no, I see you.
Speaker 2: But I will balance this with, Nick, if you need to just call to vent about something, he will be like, he'll lock in.
Speaker 1: Let's go. If you're like, I need to call you just because this is really bothering me, or this thing's bothering me, he'll be like, he's locked in. Tell me if you have this with your sisters, but we have a thing where we say, alright I gotta crank it up and basically what that means is I need 15 minutes to bitch about something where basically you have to agree with my take on this and support me maybe not agree but I will have to be like you gotta be there with me you can't be you're on the ride with me this is a hypothetical situation but it would be something like I'm gonna crank it up for a sec okay this really pissed me off this person did this thing and they can't chime in with, well, maybe they were having a bad day. It's like, no, you have to let me crank it up. Do you have that with your sisters?
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: We don't call it crank it up, but I really like that.
Speaker 1: It's just, you're welcome to take it.
Speaker 3: I have this with my mom too. If you call and you just say, okay, I just need to vent for a second. Like there's nothing anyone can like, don't interrupt me to try to see the light of day.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, I'm a good person. Let me have this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: By the way, do you ever do that, too, where you're like talking badly about maybe each other, maybe someone else?
Speaker 1: I love them, but.
Speaker 3: And then in the end, you're like, and I adore them and they're the best person I know. And then like every time I do that with my sisters, they're like, OK, OK. Yeah, yeah. We know you love them. We know you're a good person. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Go on. I know you love your sister. Yes, I know that. But what's bothering you about that? It's OK. You're allowed to be annoyed.
Speaker 3: No, I really wonder, though. I really have to wonder, like, when I'm the one that they're talking about together.
Speaker 1: Right. They're saying it, too, though. They're saying, you know, we love her.
Speaker 3: What do they say? We love her so much. I'm so perfect. What do they say?
Speaker 1: That's how I feel. What could they say? Honestly, it could just be like, oh, she's so perfect.
Speaker 3: Ugh. Ugh.
Speaker 1: It's so annoying.
Speaker 3: Do it. Ugh. why is she like that she.
Speaker 1: Got another huge movie what another award we have to speak a little bit i love this sibling talk okay but we gotta speak a little bit about your incredible career starting with and and i got this little sheet here uh which gave me this information which i'm absolutely obsessed with because it's my favorite cereal ever your first gig was in a life cereal commercial That's right. It's your favorite cereal. That's my favorite cereal.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: It's actually Alina's favorite now too.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite flavor of life cereal?
Speaker 1: Cinnamon.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 1: So you're how old when you get this job?
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 1: So you get this job and soon after that you start booking job after job.
Speaker 3: Mostly commercials. I did, I think I did like 75 commercials.
Speaker 1: 75 commercials. Casual. What was the gig- The first film gig that you got and you're like, oh, it's on. I'm starting this career as an actress.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny because you're not thinking about it like that when you're a kid.
Speaker 1: You're just having a good time. It's just fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just having a good time and you're like, mom's putting away your money for you.
Speaker 1: One would hope.
Speaker 3: My first thing that I ever did that was a film because I did commercials and I did TV guest spots, you know, CSIs, all that jazz. Um, and my first film was, I was cast as like Adam Sandler's dead daughter in a flashback and a movie called rain over me. And, and then I was like, no, I had like three seconds of screen time. Um, but that was my first movie. And then I like led a short film when I was like six. Um, and that was really cool. But the first time I was like, Oh, this is like, now I'm like cognitively aware of how much responsibility this is and also how much I love it and how much work it takes and work ethic it takes. Like was, was a movie I did called Ramona and Beezus. And I was nine years old when I did that. And I was like, I was so tired and also like fulfilled at nine, which is such an interesting feeling. And I knew that, that I wanted to try and do this forever then. But you know, what's funny is when you're nine years old, you're not like, oh, and there's a possibility it won't work out. You're just kind of like, this is what I want to do. So I'm going to do it. And luckily there's like a confidence, like a kind of a false confidence that comes with that, that I think really helped carry me through some difficult moments in my career. Lots and lots and lots of rejection that I just did not let phase me. Lots of, you know, bizarre moments where you're just like, being told things about how you look and how you act and when you're a kid. But I do think that there was something that I just, I don't know what it was. I just always had like a natural confidence as a kid that I've actually lost a lot of now that I'm older. But it did carry me through, I think, a lot of the feelings that might have come with inhibition. And I just felt really uninhibited growing up as an actress, which was, I think, probably the most helpful tool that I had.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That is really cool. And also, you know, I think the time that we met you was around the time Ramona Beezus came out. It's a big announcement when it happened. You carried yourself, you know, so professionally through that, that, that whole press run in the movie. I mean, from my memory, we met you a few times during that time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think I was just having so much fun and I was so hyper. And now I'm like, I'm like, was I too hyper?
Speaker 1: But as you're a kid, you want to, you know, actor kids like, and we were working at a young age. So we kind of had some of that actor kid where you, you're told to look somebody in the eye, shake their hand, and carry an adult conversation because that's what you have to do when you're on set. And there are, I will say, there are some that, as they get older, I think lose track of what it means to just be a person that's not being handed a script that is like, this is who you are today, to actually develop your own personality. And it makes a lot of sense based on what you've spoken about with your family dynamic and your mom and all that stuff that that family is really important to you. And I think it's the only thing that helps you as a child performer understand sort of not end up as a person with no personality who's just waiting to be told where to stand and what to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really grounding to have a real life. When I would come home from work and I would come back to Simi Valley from wherever I was traveling, I had a genuine real life at home. I had real hobbies, real interests.
Speaker 1: That's so great.
Speaker 3: Real addiction to Sims. Oh, dude.
Speaker 1: Hold on. Now we're talking.
Speaker 3: Hold on. Six hours a day I would play as long as my mom would let me. In the summertime. Do you still play sometimes? No, I haven't played in a long time because I know that.
Speaker 1: She's an adult, Kevin. It's fully, it's amazing now. It's all on. You put your sim in the pool, take the ladder away.
Speaker 3: Take the ladder out!
Speaker 1: Take the ladder out, wait for the Grim Reaper to arrive! Just see what happens. Everyone's done it.
Speaker 3: Take out all the doors, start a house fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 3: How old were you guys when you started.
Speaker 1: Performing? Well, Nick started when you were like six or seven. Six or seven. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did Broadway first as a kid. We all do like commercials and stuff, but we started around six, seven, nine, ten-ish.
Speaker 2: My first open casting call was for Miracle on 34th Street when they were potentially going to go with a boy instead of a girl for the film.
Speaker 1: My first commercial was for Burger King, and it was for a Scooby-Doo crossover.
Speaker 2: It was the Halloween thing. Yeah, and so- No, they had a movie coming out. So they were doing like the collaboration.
Speaker 3: Was it Spooky Island?
Speaker 1: Spooky Island. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they had like put, and like they made a mold of my face. And I was like, I think eight years old. It was your birthday.
Speaker 1: It was on my birthday. I had to do the mold.
Speaker 3: Were you so scared?
Speaker 1: I was terrified. It didn't work.
Speaker 2: So I had to come back again. And I remember crying after we left and I was just so devastated. And our mom was.
Speaker 1: Like props to her. She was like, you don't have to do this, but the family is expecting the money from what's. No, she was like, she's like, you don't have to do this if you don't want to. And I was like, I want to do it. So I went back, did the mold again. And then like, yeah, they ripped my face off. It's so scary.
Speaker 3: The ones where they like put the straws in the nose.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. Yeah. And you just sit there for like an hour and a half and you just close your eyes. Like what? It's insane. We haven't figured out a better way to do it yet.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, genuinely, that is like, I, that's like one thing. If I ever, like, anytime I work on a job, I'm like, Hey, I don't even, even if it's just like a job where it's just like people in a room talking, like I just warn everybody at the beginning. I'm like, I'm not doing that thing.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing that thing. I'll never do that thing. I am claustrophobic. I get an MRI.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, so you're, You're about to go into a press tour for Practical Magic 2, correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've started a little bit, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So obviously you've got some newcomers in this movie. I think her name is, is it Sandra? Sandra? I think it's Balok. Oh, okay. And the other one, her name is Nicky... Nicolay. Nicolay, okay.
Speaker 3: Nicolay. Nicolay Kaidman. Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: This is your second movie with Nicole Kidman, right?
Speaker 3: That is correct.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Not a lot of people. can say that. Also, not a lot of people can say that they are Emmy, Golden Globe, and SAG, and Critics' Choice Award nominee for the act, which was incredible, by the way. You've worked with some pretty amazing actors. I'm not going to ask you to pick your favorite, but just pick your least favorite. Okay. I do have a question. Across all the actors you've had the chance to work with, some incredible names, is there an onset, not memory, but like a thing you learn from somebody else. You don't have to say who it is where you're like, wow, that's a movie star doing a movie star thing that you've now adopted as number one on the call sheet, which for those that don't know, that means you're the top person on the call sheet. Straight offers. Straight cash on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only cash. Fast escrow. That's a good question. Something that comes to mind is I mean, there's a lot of people that I feel like have taught me so much along, because I grew up on sets, just like, you know, you guys did too. It's like, you get it. It's like, you're working with adults. You're kind of just like a bit of a sponge. Sometimes you can't even remember where you learned something, but you know, someone awesome taught it to you. Um, but I feel like Patricia Arquette on the act, I had some really sensitive scenes where I was like doing, um, like, stuff without my clothes on for the first time. And that was like very, you know, I had this, like always had this very flippant attitude towards stuff like that, where I was like, yeah, like, I don't want to make a big thing of it. I don't want anyone else to feel uncomfortable. So I'm not going to be uncomfortable. So it's like, fine. You know what I mean? But ultimately there was like, like, you know, a couple moments where Patricia felt like I wasn't being like, true to myself, like respecting what I really felt, which was just like little common courtesies that I could have been asking for. And she was super protective and super, like super kind to everybody about it. So, but she was just like setting up boundaries for me to kind of learn and, and take with me in the future, um, in a very kind way that was just like, if I protect myself in this way, I'm ultimately protecting everybody else too, from feeling uncomfortable as well. And that was a really powerful lesson because I think when you are a child actor, you sometimes grow up being a little too agreeable, a little too people-pleasing and a little too like, yeah, whatever, like in situations where it's kind of like not, yeah, whatever. And you can always be kind about it. You don't have to be forceful. You don't have to be rude. But there is like a thing that I think I had to unlearn, which was just like, being quote down for whatever, whatever anyone needed of me, which you can still be like that, but like protect yourself a little bit more. And so she kind of just helped me create that understanding of what that boundary would look like. And I thought that was pretty amazing because she just, she took such good care of me on that set and we took good care of each other because it was a very, very dramatic piece. And I learned a lot from her just like as a person, as an actress and as like, you know, as a, she's like a natural mother. And I think that that's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: What a great answer. I love her. And I'd love to have her on this pod actually as well.
Speaker 3: So please put it in your head is the coolest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She's probably say yes. You know, she's just like down. She's down for it all. She's down to clown hit buzzers and sound effects. That's actually where Joe's sitting. Oh, she does this.
Speaker 1: She can. I'll be on zoom. She can walk us through what the next couple of weeks looks like with the promo schedule. Are you, are you traveling a ton? Are you doing it from LA? What's the vibes?
Speaker 3: The vibes are L.A. and travel. I'm traveling to London and New York, back to L.A., then back to New York, which will be great. I'm very, very pleased to be on a press tour. Press tours are fun. They're scary just for the flights, but everything else is great. I'm a little bit afraid of flying. I always say I've been gotten worse as I've gotten older. What can you do?
Speaker 1: It does get worse as you get older, I feel like. I feel the same way.
Speaker 3: Everything does, huh?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I keep saying, and I do believe this to be true. When I turned 25 and my frontal lobe allegedly fully developed, I hated it. Oh my God. It was like the worst year ever. 25 and 26 were terrible. I felt too, I felt too aware. I was like, Oh, I just wish I was like dumber, just like half a percent, which is like what I think the frontal lobe thing did turned up something too aware. And I was like, I feel like that is something people need to prepare people for better. How much you will suffer.
Speaker 1: You know too much now.
Speaker 3: And you also feel like you know, and then because you know too much, you feel like you know nothing about anything.
Speaker 1: And also you're suspicious about everything.
Speaker 3: Too. Correct. Correct. Absolutely. Yeah. I do feel like the fear of flying does get a little bit worse as you get older. I do have a, I do have a rule though with myself. I don't take anything on domestic flights because it's just like not long enough. Just got to get through it.
Speaker 1: That plane could always get diverted. And then all of a sudden it's like you're in and it's not, it's not right. Crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Um, but with overseas flights, I always take a little sleep aid. Um, and I usually wait till like, if it's, I'm coming from LA to overseas, I usually wait till we get near New York because I want to be out when we fly over the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Out over that ocean. Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not fun. So your husband, will he be joining you for this trip or is he working at the moment?
Speaker 3: He'll be staying home with our lovely dog.
Speaker 1: You have how many dogs?
Speaker 3: Her name's Fable. She's a rescue from Romania.
Speaker 1: Wow. We love a rescue. We love the name Fable. Are you in Romania when you saw this dog or are you just Yes, I was.
Speaker 3: I was working there. Yeah, I was working there for seven months on a show called We Were the Lucky Ones. And it was a very sad show, very heavy subject matter. And I was just like in the winter of Romania, missing my dog and my family so much. And I was like, I'm going to go volunteer at a shelter. Which is always, there's always a little.
Speaker 1: Room in your mind for.
Speaker 3: There's always a, it's like the first problem. Exactly. Because I don't know if you guys know this, there's like an incredible stray dog problem in Romania. They are everywhere. Like unbelievable. They're like, like, it's just so heartbreaking. It's so crazy. So I, um, I went to a shelter to volunteer and just bring like goodies and hang out with the dogs. And then of course I Fell in love with Miss Fable, who was formerly named Bon Bon, but now her name's Fable.
Speaker 1: Cute name, too. All right, so as we do with all our guests, we have a bowl of questions here that have nothing to do with your life or career. They're just random.
Speaker 3: Or ours.
Speaker 1: We don't know what they are. Just random stuff. We're going to pull a question, and we'd love for you to answer it. Just chime in. What's your favorite childhood memory? Oh, you had a good one.
Speaker 3: Wholesome. Okay, first child in memory, I'll say the first one that comes to my mind right now is when my sister Hunter helped me pull out my first tooth when my parents were out of the house. Was it this?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: It was just a very sweet sister bonding moment. We were both jumping around the house screaming with excitement after it was done. She was like, I can't believe I did it.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't believe you did it.
Speaker 3: It was so cute.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's a great memory. What's one thing someone can do that instantly makes you feel loved? Pulling out a tooth. Yep.
Speaker 3: Just yank my teeth out. I really love that. It's my thing. My husband cooks for me almost every night, and that always makes.
Speaker 1: Me feel better. That's amazing. Winner.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I've got to learn how to cook. I've been saying that for years.
Speaker 3: That's a long one. I know.
Speaker 1: Some of them I can't stop once I hit the button. Um, that's so sweet. What's one of your, what's one of his specialties? What does he cook that you're like, Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Um, he makes, he makes my, my favorite is spaghetti meatballs. He does the sauce and the meatballs homemade. It's like my favorite thing. Fantastic.
Speaker 1: So thanks. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He makes 24 hour like sous vide barbecue pork ribs, which is like another one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We're coming over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, you should come over. It's really great. It's going to be a good time. He loves a dinner party too. He loves cooking for it. He likes to like, that's his like biggest way of like, I want to show people I care about them and love them. I want to break bread with people. And I'm like, Oh, cute.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Let's do one more. What's your favorite season and why?
Speaker 3: Winter. You know what?
Speaker 1: A fellow winter person. I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm not, I mean, listen, born and raised in LA. I don't really feel like I have a lot of grounds to scrap ground to stand on here with saying that I feel like it's annoying to people who are from cold climates, but I just think a winter with like cozy, cold, like it's so, like there's something so romantic about that. Something so like, oh, it's just, it makes me feel like there's like a nice contrast to life. You get to watch movies, you get to, You have candles going. You get to be chilly. And then you can enjoy the summer. Right now, I feel like my privileged West Coast life, I'm just, like, annoyed with this.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful all the time. No, it's too hot. You don't get our problems as L.A. people. It's too hot for us. It's way too hot.
Speaker 3: I really can't. I can't take it. My in-laws live in Chicago, and I love going there. Love Chicago. Mm-hmm. Like the winter time.
Speaker 1: A little breeze off the lake.
Speaker 3: Oh my God, look at all of us playing games on the coffee table. We're so cute. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: A little wood burning fireplace going.
Speaker 2: There's nothing better than Christmas with a little bit of snow.
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I know. Why Christmas? Like, what can you do? I've only, I've had that twice in my life.
Speaker 1: Have you done a Christmas movie before?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Kind of. Christmas has happened in movies.
Speaker 1: Okay. Christmas has happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christmas doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: It's her contract. All right, well, we appreciate you coming on the pod. Thank you so much, Joey. Fantastic guest.
Speaker 2: Practical Magic 2 is in theaters starting September 10th, everyone, so make sure you check it out.
Speaker 1: It's going to be huge.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. Love you guys.
Speaker 1: We love you. Thank you, Joey. We'll see you at the next show.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Bye. What a guest. She was awesome. What a great guest. She's so fun. I love when guests come on and they just wanted to talk, you know? She's like, yeah, we'll talk about the movie. I like when they're just like, you know, we're going to get to the thing, but they're here to hang. I love that.
Speaker 2: And when you do like 500 movies or so like her, she's like, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking at the filmography before we had her on.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's like Dark Knight Rises, Crazy Stupid Love, The Act. I mean, the number of baller actors that she's worked with and filmmakers is pretty wild. But now it's time for us to go. As we always say on the Hey Jones podcast. Bye-bye. Bye-bye.