Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Once Upon a trend In shall trend?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: That one courtesy of Miles and I just needing to come up with a trending title.
Speaker 2: Hey, come on, let make it sound a little more mystical than that, you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: From our writer's room.
Speaker 3: We read from this deep from the scrolls we've been writing on for hundreds of years now to find the perfect short show title.
Speaker 1: We found these scrolls buried underground and they were written in our handwriting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Wow, that would be kind.
Speaker 1: Of like a Michael Crichton movie premise. Okay, like a bad one. I'm not saying it's like good. I'm not saying it's drastics. Car, He's got he's got some misses out there. Why am I on trial here? My name's Jack. That is Miles, And these are some of the things that are a trending. Donald Trump is he seems very low energy, these yays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so low energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got we got some clips of him speaking where he like we talk on tomorrow's episode, Like we play a couple of clips that like made me so sleepy, I fell asleep on tomorrow's episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very I mean, he just like doesn't I mean, I think we talked about last time. How you know, former age are like this dude's like phoning it in, Like we're like we've seen him like give up. And this is kind of what it looks and sounds like for Trump, the old give ups. But yeah, the energy's very low. Even when he is trying to be racist or misogynist, it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: That used to be the thing that brought it out of him, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I just here, they just give you an idea. This is him ranting in Detroit while like no one's talking again because he has such high energy.
Speaker 4: He ignored the police of the mayor and the police chief to deploy the National Guard and Minneapolis. And you're not highly trained soldiers, you're nineteen year olds who cook. That's what he said.
Speaker 2: Teen year olds who cook. That's a pretty famous man cook. I don't even know, dude.
Speaker 1: So people were like, when a National Guard cook, let him cook, Let them cook.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the energy again historic lows for him, and that could always change. But anyway, but according to the insiders that mar A Lago, Trump is big, sad and the only thing that sort of brings the vibes up in the building for him and his inner circle of donors is when they see themselves on TV and themselves, I mean Trump on TV. So the campaign recently spent about fifty thousand dollars to run these fifteen second spots on the Big News Network, specifically in Palm Beach County where mar A Lago is. Yeah that way, well, baby fart can see his rotting corpse face on the TV and get excited about it. And apparently this wasn't the first time this happened. In twenty twenty, in the lead up to the twenty twenty election, his funkies did like a four hundred thousand dollars add buy in DC or something like that DC.
Speaker 2: Because he was sad about his poll numb verse. Yeah that's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, his campaign is like claiming they're doing it to keep donors happy. But of course that wouldn't have made sense in twenty twenty when they did it like all around.
Speaker 2: The White House. Right. Well.
Speaker 3: I think the other thing though, too, is like it that ad By does fuck all for him, like campaign wise, like I get Palm Beach County is a Blue County, but you are in the state Aflorida.
Speaker 2: So this is purely for mister Herdi.
Speaker 1: Like there's a thing in Los Angeles that it has like the greatest billboard economy in the United States because they buy billboards for movies and various projects that they know the movie star is going to be driving by, so that the movie star sees themselves up there, is impressed by it and is like, damn, my agents and the studio are doing their job, you know. So yeah, right, the billboard game in Law Angeles is wild, like some beautiful like crazy designs well done by them.
Speaker 3: That's always wild too, is when it's award season and they're like for your consideration and you're like, bro, like one percent of the of the pot, not even one percent of the population has any sway.
Speaker 2: Over, like for whose consideration?
Speaker 1: For an audience of one the person on the billboard and these are ads for the you know, the person in the political ad. I.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There there's this other story about how his campaign rallies might be harming him. Like they were talking about this campaign rally in Pennsylvania where they like interviewed a bunch of the people in the crowd and they were just like, I don't know, man, like, he just seems seems off. Like here's this one quote. I voted for him in twenty sixteen and had a Trump flag in the front yard. I voted for him again in twenty twenty, but didn't put the flag in that time. I've been thinking of voting for him again because Biden's been so bad for the economy and Kamala won't be any better. But after listening to that, I'm actually afraid of Trump being president again. I don't know what he was talking about half the time. Perhaps he was always like that, but he seems worse, more unstable. I feel like that combined with the surrounding him with ads of himself. Oh yeah, I'm sorrying to think that like the best. We don't have a political analogy for him, but I do feel like he is giving Elvis like or you know, celebrity who becomes so famous and insulated that and isolated from reality that they just like start to like he's just up there repeating himself like fat Elvis at the end of his career, you know, like just like kind of grunting through it, just going through the motions. Can't differentiate like a good performance from a bad performance just is like sort of feeding off of the crowds adulation and like kind of holy uh, you know, adoration of him, like you know, which that that's not going anywhere because he's feeling such a weird need for these people, and so he just like goes up there and like basks in that but and doesn't realize that, like he's just giving the very least at this point.
Speaker 3: Right, And I mean, but at least Elvis gave us that one final show where he like killed it with unchained melody, you know, right where you're like dying.
Speaker 2: He's dying, you know what I mean, And he's leaving it all out there.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe I guess sadly, maybe Trump's version of unchained melody is just unchained election fuckery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, he's but I think that I mean, the long speeches that are rambling and like everyone's like, what is that like falling asleep? It happens to dictators also, Like you hear that shit about dictators all the time, but like Trump really like and you can tell that, like, you know, super famous person whose fame is driving them a little bit crazy. One of the hallmarks of that is that they stay hold up in a home that they've built that has a name. I'll Graceland or Neverland with Michael Jackson Prince, you know, Prince's best case scenario. He kept it together for a long time and like kept making good and.
Speaker 3: It was like a vibe to get in there rather than like, yeah, everybody been there, bro right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Like that's kind of what I'm starting to feel like is the energy. And we have seen like you said, like this this might not be permanent. We've seen him like EBB and flow as his adderall usage, you know what, kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: But what's kind of different, right, is like we're so used to being like you never know how the like suddenly a thing comes out in the news and now the wind is back in his sails. But this feels like so different than the other times, Like I'm I don't know really what to compare it to, like in past things where it's truly yeah, yeah, it just feels like it's like withering in this way that's different than like less popular or controversial, Like it feels like the life force of like his campaign or Visa VI him, Like I know the supporters are still dedicated, but through him. It feels like watching like a like an orange creamsickle melt in the sun or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Access Hollywood tape was a real low point and it was closer to the election than we currently are. I feel like so sure.
Speaker 3: But then like even then, right, that was one of those things where people who were like wanting him to lose or like, oh, he's not going to come back from this. Yeah, this is It's different than like can he weather a controversy? Like because we're that phase of normalizing all of his ship so now it's sort of like it's more like is.
Speaker 2: This motherfucker for real?
Speaker 3: Like like that's kind of like even now what his supported are saying, like I don't even where am I?
Speaker 2: What is this again? It was weird?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels weird. It feels like the energy is off and you do hate to see.
Speaker 2: It to happen to a nicer guy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about Martin Screlly and his Wu Tang album. Uh what what is the legend of shell In but whatever?
Speaker 2: Whatever? That once upon a trend in shop on a.
Speaker 1: Trend in sholl trend. Of course, we'll be right back, and we're back, and Martin Screlly back in the news. He's most famous for, you know, price gouging, uh, hiking the prices of like life saving medication to a degree that was like cartoonist, like one hundred xing it in.
Speaker 2: Some cases is one of the worst ones, yes.
Speaker 1: And then becoming famous and becoming extremely rich from doing that. With all that money, he bought the one of a kind Wu Tang album Once Upon a Time in shell And at auction for two million dollars in twenty fifteen, on the condition that it quote not be released publicly and treated like a piece of contemporary art. He this is going to surprise.
Speaker 2: A lot of people.
Speaker 1: Did not do that.
Speaker 2: Ah fuck.
Speaker 1: After he was forced to hand the album over to the US government, which is just weird. The US government was like, give us the Wu Tang album.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like a securities fraud. So yeah, they're there to take your shit. But it is funny to be like knock.
Speaker 2: Knock Streli, we're here for the Wu Tang album. Like, oh, the album.
Speaker 1: So it eventually made its way to a crypto currency collective who bought the album for four point seventy five million dollars, so it is going up in price. It's doing what there is a end co planned for it to do. And the crypto guys then sued Screlly because after he got out of prison, he held a Wu Tang official listening party on social media, bragging that he had made copies and hidden them in safes all around the world.
Speaker 2: Which is that's that's that's called bullshit.
Speaker 1: It made it so if you kill me, copies of the album will be played live in Times Square.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 3: You don't want fucking I got a dead hand trigger or whatever that thing. What is it called dead hand system type thing? He's like, what a dead on trigger?
Speaker 2: Like it?
Speaker 3: It will fucking stream everywhere. Bro, you probably have it. You have a burned copy on a hard drive.
Speaker 2: That's her.
Speaker 3: You know, whatever you have, you ripped it on a hard drive and then yeah, maybe you could have put it on dropbox and therefore it is around the world.
Speaker 2: But trying to act like some bad guy.
Speaker 3: It's like, and it's in five different safes around the globe, you.
Speaker 2: Will not be able to find. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also streamed part of the album to celebrate Trump's twenty sixteen election win, and there's still clips online of him previously streaming a piece of the album to sell it at that time. So a judge has ruled against him, which judges seem to like to do. Rule against Martin Screley, it's like one of their passions, one of their hobbies. They've ordered him to hand over all of his copies of the album by August thirtieth. He's also prohibited from possessing, using, disseminating, or selling any interests in the album, including its data end files. So fuck Martin Shcreley. It turns out.
Speaker 3: Ah Man again could have happened to a nicer guy.
Speaker 2: What if that album is good?
Speaker 1: Like, what if the album's like, yeah, it's basically on par with Cuban Links, like it's.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to be on par with like honestly at least, I mean, I mean, there's only really a for talking a bonus like the good Wu Tang albums, like the first two, the first two yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah is it that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it was like a bunch of stuff like lost cuts that weren't on thirty six Chambers or like Wu Tang forever there could be something good, But.
Speaker 1: So is it still the crypto currency collective? Who is the owners? Because that's so that's I mean, I guess it makes sense because crypto the whole idea is like creating a one of a kind digital uh, you know, money, And exactly this is one of a kind album. It's about creating and I am an expert on this. It's about creating a digital one of a kind of money.
Speaker 3: I'm holding five bitcoins in my hand right now and they're heavy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you feel that weight. Rotten Tomato has added a verified hot bed, so they're changing up their website and instead of just offering certified fresh for movies that are overwhelmingly praised by critics, there will now be a certified hot badge for movies that get a positive reaction from US normies, from the losers, the swill, you know.
Speaker 3: So to be verified hot, how do you get Rotten Tomatoes verified?
Speaker 2: How do you get Twitter verified?
Speaker 3: You got just to be like to basically be like, no, this motherfucker saw it, rather than like people review bombing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so Rotten Tomatoes And this is what I'm why I'm always saying consolidation is good and always just deregulation. So Rotten Tomatoes is own making. They're owned by Fandango. So what they can do is they can ensure that the only people who can vote for a movie have a Fandango ticket to that movie. And therefore you're only getting the finest, most proof positive viewers of a film, so you can't. It guards against review bombing, not really, it just guards against it makes people pay fifteen dollars to review bomb but as we know, super fans.
Speaker 3: But then wouldn't theyre Oh wait, so, but there would have to be like just regular hot or bad, right, and those are people you can't verify if they actually seen it. And then there's verified hot because you know, like these people have I think.
Speaker 1: Float on a movie at Rotten Tomatoes. These days, you need to have like bought a Fandango ticket. I could be right.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, so like they're just guiding everyone to Fandango. Basically, yeay, you want to leave a review, you want to leave a racist, shitty review, you better buy a ticket.
Speaker 2: From Fandango to do it.
Speaker 3: Star wars aren't women way, Hey, folks, let him cook. He bought it from Fandango.
Speaker 1: They you need ninety percent, and so movies like It Ends with Us and fly Me to the Moon, which were not adored by critics are now verified hot and ah. If only this had happened earlier, maybe people would have gone to see fly Me to the Moon, a movie.
Speaker 2: I heard it was bad.
Speaker 1: It's the It is the most baffling like movie premise for me since the Buzz Late Year movie where they're like, what don't you want to know the origin of the toy of the guy who based on toys?
Speaker 3: This one is like, hey, man, are you a lunar landing conspiracy theorist?
Speaker 2: And Wana rom com. Yeah, it's like what like that? That's ben diagram is really shrinking your audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's confusing, but yeah, I mean there's obviously the concerns about review bombing, because even with the Fandango provision, toxic fans still review bomb movies and TV shows. Recently, the Star Wars show The Acolyte was attacked by racist fans because Star Wars is just always in the midst of like the equivalent of a religious war.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and the problem is too, like they're shitting out so much like as a beloved Star Wars fan. Yeah, they're just shitting out way too much content, like to the point and at the quality is just like, bro, fine, tell me about the fucking Jedi that was made of boloney that I didn't.
Speaker 2: Hear about before? Do they have a whole show? Great? Great, great Greek.
Speaker 1: They've also tanked the ratings for a two thousand and eight horror movie called Acolytes. So apparently you don't need all every movie doesn't need a Fandango purchase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this horror film, you're like, well, the Black Jedi wasn't for beievably Like what wait?
Speaker 2: What this is a horror film? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like in my use of Rotten Tomatoes, usually I go to Metacritic. I think it's a superior site, but I generally ignore the audience reviews. Sure do you do you give it any credence?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I talk about this a lot, and I think we have very similar strategies. I need to hear it from motherfuckers, I know, yeah, like because I you know, sure, there's I can see something that's doing really well, but it's even if something is like universally beloved, I still need someone who I know has seen it, unless it's a movie I'm just gonna go see regardless. I need somebody I know to like co sign that. That's I use word of mouth, like from my personal connections more than anything.
Speaker 2: So it's like that.
Speaker 3: It's in the same thing with like yelp to like review sites like that, Like reviews are just a weird phenomenon, like the Internet reviews that are just so hard to pass through and know it's like, look, are you do you hate your life and you ended up at this dry cleaner on a specific day, or you know, are you a shitty husband and your birthday dinner for your partner went awry and you're taking it out on the restaurant because you had.
Speaker 2: The lack of thinking, you know what I mean. Like, there's so many times when.
Speaker 3: You read very forceful bad reviews and things like that, or even positive ones or they're just kind of doing somebody favor and like, yeah, yeah, man, I'll throw a positive review out there.
Speaker 1: It would be amazing, Like just putting it into that context. If Yelp contained eighty reviews from people whose full time job it was was to review like local businesses, like that would be incredible that would be like one of the great resources that humanity had created, like that. We just got good, like high quality reviews. We have that for movies, and they're trying to turn it into yelp. Is like sort of my thinking, Like we have a wealth of information and like writing and thinking being done about movies and TV shows and we're not We're not respecting it. We're just we're like, yeah, but what does what do people think about it? People are wrong. People are wrong a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out, all right.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, August twenty seventh. Shout out to my parents, who's forty eighth anniversary it is today, So shout out to y'all.
Speaker 2: Damn how they do them? What's their secret? I don't know. I don't know a lot of I don't walks on the beach. They don't know how. They don't know how. They take a lot of walks on the beach and ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, they spend time. They spend so much time together. It's a it's that's beautiful. They are a beautiful thing. All right. Those are some of the things that are trending. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, gets a vaccine, don't hear nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow at anniversary